Speaker 1: Witness insurmountable deficits turn into unforgettable victories at the Travelers Championship, the northeast one and only PGA Tour signature event. See Scotty Scheffler, Worry McElroy, Victor Howlin, Patrick Cantley, and returning champion Keegan Bradley, as well as other PGA Tour stars in all four days of the competition at close by TPC River Highlands. The excitement tees off June nineteenth through the twenty third. For tickets and information, visit Travelers Championship dot com. The Travelers Championship there is only one. It's the Son of a Butch podcast. I'm your host, Claude Harman. This week's guest someone we've been wanting to have on the pod for a while, doctor Greg Rose. He and Dave Phillips are the co founders of the Titleist Performance Institute and they are at the forefront of golf fitness, of golf development. We've had Dave on the pod numerous times, but Gregor Rose is someone that I can't think of anybody really other than my father. He and Dave. I've probably learned more from these two and if you are struggling with your golf swing. I think this is a fantastic kind of overview of some of the things that you can look out for and some of the things that you want to look for in your golf swings. Because Greg and Dave out at TPI, they are at the forefront of golf fitness. We talk a lot about it. This is easily one of my favorites that I've done because I just have so much respect for Greg and the work that he and Dave Phillips do out at TPI. So this is a good one. Greg Rose from the titleist performance INCE two. It's a pretty special day for me because I think out of everybody I've met, probably in the last twenty years, I mean, I think most people would think that my father probably has the biggest influence on my career from a golf standpoint, And yeah, I mean obviously definitely does. But I think meeting you and Dave in two thousand and four really did change my life from just the way I started thinking about golf swings. We hear so much Gregan in twenty twenty four about golf fitness. As to me, you guys are at the forefront and kind of the people that kind of talked about golf fitness for the first time for everyone listening, What is golf fitness and why is it important?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I really appreciate that Cloud. It means a lot for you to say that, and I appreciate you having me on here. Golfitness, that's great, that's a great question. So to me, it's basically preparing your body to play golf at the highest level or whatever level you want to play at, and making sure that your body's not the problem. That's golf fitness, right. So you know, we always say, like, if you can't perform something, it could be you don't know how to do it, you need the technical information. It could be skill isn't there, or it could be your body doesn't let you do it. Golf fitness is removing that third part, right, is trying to make it so that you don't have any physical limitations that are affecting your ability to perform.
Speaker 1: I first started teaching, I mean, we never thought about that, Greg. And one of the things, and I want to go a little bit deeper into this is you guys at the Titleist Performance Institute of TPI, you came up and kind of coined the phrase the body swing connection. When I started teaching golf lessons, I would look at a player and I would just look at what they were doing and say, okay, let's have them. Okay, this is the problem and what they're doing from a golf swing standpoint, let's go ahead and fix the golf swing part of it. And I think now, when I look at a player, the first thing I look at is, Okay, why are they doing that? Why are they making that move with their body? Why doesn't why can't they Why can't they rotate their hips? Why can't they rotate their chest? Why can't they get into their right side of whatever it is? My brain immediately now, after meeting you guys twenty years ago, my brain immediately now goes to, Okay, there's a reason why this person isn't able to do this unless you said, it's just a complete concept problem. And so when I'm teaching now, I put myself and I try and put the student into two buckets, and I asked them, I said, okay, do you know what you're trying to do and how you were trying to do this? From a technical standpoint, meaning do you know how to swing? The club out to the right. If you're massively coming over the top of it, that's a concept problem. But a lot of times we'll have players greg where they understand the concept and they don't ever make any changes, and they don't get any better. And that's where I think the connection between to what a player's body can and can't do has a massive effect, because in the past, if somebody was struggling to do something, as instructors, I think we'd get really frustrated because we just say, listen, how hard is it to do this? But when I first met you guys, I went out and you, guys, you know this. I can play golf left or right handed, and I wanted you guys to tell me which way I should play physically. Should I played left handed or right hand? Which way would my body work better? And I remember I went out to TPI in Oceanside in San Diego, and by the way, the only person that's.
Speaker 2: Ever asked me that question, by the way, which is great, but go ahead exactly.
Speaker 1: So I went out there and I was hitting balls right handed warming up and left handed, and I think you and Dave were both like watching me warm up. You said, okay, I think this is you were gonna We're going to stick to you right handed. And as soon as I started hitting golf balls left handed from a speed standpoint and from what my body could do, you guys went, no, no, don't even waste your time playing golf right handed play golf. That is an extreme example, But I mean the reason I mean I had back surgery in twenty eleven. I remember I was kind of the poster child when you guys were doing the early TPI certification courses for lack of internal hip rotation. You guys used to get me up on the stage test my internal hip rotation, and everybody would laugh and think I was joking, and you would always say to the crowd, it's not. But you also told me, listen, with what your body can and can't do from a golf standpoint, it's not really a question of if you're going to have back surgery at some point. It's a question of when, based off of the physical limitations you have. And I remember when I was crawling around on the floor and couldn't stand up in twenty eleven. I sent you my MRI and he said, I told you it wasn't a matter of if it was a matter of when. So I think for me, the body swing connection is resonates so much with me because I live it every day. I have really really tight hips. I don't have a lot of rotation. I have a lot of early extension or thrust on my golf swing. And so I used to try and fix out my dad's butch harmon. He's telling me what to do, he's telling me how to fix it. I can't fix any of it. And it was a revelation when you and Dave said to me, listen, it's you, but it's not you. Your body can't do these things. It doesn't like to do these movements based off of what you can do physically. And that changed kind of my golfing life. And you guys said to me, listen, Okay, you can either make these changes or if you don't have the time or you're not willing to do it. I remember you guys said, listen, don't practice. Your body can't handle long term hitting golf balls. So these are the ways that you have to swing the golf club and get your body to move. There's no better way to enjoy the majors than to play the course while you're watching all the action. With the Rhapsodo MLM two Pro, you have a mobile launch monitor and a golf simulator that you can easily take to the course or set up at home to play and practice. The award winning MLM two Pro offers thirty thousand simulated courses to play, thirteen metrics to look at your and three video replay options to analyze your swing, all for six hundred and ninety nine dollars and ninety nine cents. During the month of May, rap sodos Play your Way contest is rewarding MLM and MLM two Pro users with some incredible prizes, including a year's supply of RPT golf balls and a virtual lesson from me. Visit rapsodo dot com to say full list of prizes and ways to enter, or visit rapsodo dot com. Backst h three and you will receive a fifty dollars gift card to rapsodo dot Com with the purchase of an MLM two Pro. Whether you're looking to improve your game or just play more golf, the MLM two Pro is the solution for you. Play your Way with Rapsodo Golf play without limits. So many people listening to this podcast, Greg never think of their body and how it affects what they do. That concept of the body swing connection. For you, how would you explain that for everyone listening?
Speaker 2: Yeah, to me, I mean Cloud, I think it's it's I call it source versus cause. Right. So if somebody walks in and says my knee hurts, right.
Speaker 1: Hey, hang on, that's another one that I'm gonna borrow. Let mean you wrote that down, I'll give you full credit.
Speaker 2: Yes, versus I thought so. To me, it's like, okay, let's say your knee hurts and you say my knee hurts. Right. If someone comes to me and says my knee hurts, I'm gonna say, that's the source of the pain. Right. We all we can see it. Let's say it's inflame. The person could tell me it hurts. But then if I say why, like, tell me why your knee hurts, right, that answer could be vastly different, right for each person, right, because we all have reasons. It's it's almost like that's that game of why, where like if you're a kid and you say, uh, I'm gonna make something up. Let's say, claud you say you like cake, i'd say why, you go, well, because it tastes good. I go why You're like, well, my mom gave it to me when I was a baby, so I just like that. I'm like, why, Well, it was the only thing that she could cook. I'm like, okay, And we keep going to the point where, like, you know, the reason you like cake is because if there's the only thing your mom could cook. Like, now we get to the we get to the the cause of all of this, right, right, So it's the same thing with your swing. Right when when you know, when your dad's given you a lesson, I'm pretty confident he's right that what you're doing is wrong. Right If he says, hey, you're coming over the top, I pretty sure you're coming over the top.
Speaker 1: But you should always tell you everything that I did, what was swinging golf club in my father's eyes, was wrong. Every day. I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to tell you you're right. That's not what anybody wants to hear. But and the other thing that.
Speaker 1: He would always tell me to do is well, just stop doing it. Hey you're coming over the top. But okay, we'll just stop doing it.
Speaker 2: Walk it off, walk it up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: So like if somebody says, hey, you're over the top, you should say to yourself why right, So if if I look at myself, I'm over the top, I'm like, Okay, is it because I don't know that? Well, they just told you you know it, So it's not concept. You know it? Right? Is it that you don't know how to swing inside out? Or is it you can't physically swing inside out? Or maybe it's your equipment won't let you swing inside I mean, there's lots of reasons that you got to go down the line so to say, you know, in anything in medicine and golf swing, if you say, hey, here's your problem, that's the start of the journey. Right. Once you have the start of the journey, at least we know the problem, but we don't know the cause of the problem. And I think it's now very evident that there is a body swing connection that by literally we have an app on our TPI world where we use AI like everybody else in the world's using a on machine learning. We can do a physical screen of you and now the computer can literally go through and predict what your swing will look like. That's pretty scary and it's right like ninety five percent of the time, which is pretty scary, just never watching you swing, just looking at your body, because you know, it's kind of like humans are really good at compensating, right, And it's kind of like, like you said, my hip doesn't rotate all right, Well, I still want to play golf, so how else can I get this done? Right? And these compensation patterns is what we see every day on the golf course that are creating problems right, and it can lead to injuries and poor performance.
Speaker 1: One of the big things that I took away from when I first met you guys, and all the seminars that we went through, you would always say, listen, golf is not a It's a physical activity, but it's not an activity to where you're falling down on the ground, getting tackled, running into things. Golf physically should not hurt you as a player. You should not go to a driving range, hit golf balls, play eighteen nine holes of golf and be in physical play. You could be in fatigue paint where you're a little bit tired, your legs are a little bit sore from walking whatever. Maybe you played a lot of and hit a lot of balls. Maybe you're a little bit tight, but golfers should not be in physical pain when they're swinging a golf club.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. When you bendo from the waist and twist right, it is a very biomechanically potentially stressful position if you don't use the proper joints that were designed to rotate right, Like you said, if you can turn from your hips and turn from your thrascic spine and raise your shoulders, those joints were designed to rotate. But for a lot of us, if we don't have the hip mobility or the spine the let's say, the thorastic spy mobility, we might try and twist from our lower back. You do that, and as you realize it's a really bad idea, things can go down really quick.
Speaker 1: One of the other big light bulbs, and it's something I think about all the time is I can't remember if I don't know if I was at this seminar, but you talked about this. Someone asks describe how the body works and how it moves, and you said, that's a pretty interesting question. I think it was great. Cook. One of the guys on your advisory board goes, oh, that's easy. The body is made up of alternating patterns of stable and mobile joints, and you kind of went through how that works. And it's something that I think about every day. Can you can you tell that story because it has changed everything about the way that I think about the body. But it's also changed greg every way. Every way I think about how the golf club and how people are swinging is.
Speaker 2: Such as golf golfing, it's not even golf, it's it's like but it's basically it's a great story. It was Great Cook, who's one of the best physical therapists in the country, and Mike Boyle, one of the top straight coaches. They were having a conversation and it's what Great told Mike that day that Mike wrote an article about that I read and ever since I read that, it affected me just like it affected you, and we created we kind of adopted it as our philosophy in it. And basically what Grey told Mike that day was this. He said that if you'd take any joint in your body, like let's take the wrist, okay, he said that most joints are designed to move in three planes of motion, like you can flex and extend, you can hinge and you can twist right like your shoulder can do the same thing, your hip, your ankle, And he said, and if a joint moves freely in all three planes, we called a mobile joint, that's where you should get most your movement from. Because but then there are other joints in your body, like let's say the knuckle on your finger, right, it's designed to flex and extend. Now you can move it side to side and you can twist it, but I really don't want you to do that, right. It really wasn't designed to do that, like your knee or your elbow, you Know's so there's certain joints that are designed to move in one plane and certain joints that moving three planes. If it's designed to move in one plane, we call it a stable joint. Like your lumbar spine. The fassets are like this. They're designed to flex an extent, but they're not designed to rotate, whereas your thrastic spine. They're designed to rotate, flex, extend, move everywhere. So gray Ma made this interesting observation. He said, you know, if you look at the human body and you label the joints as mobile or stable, like your your ankle is mobile, your knee is stable. Your hips should be mobile. Your lumbar spine should be stable, your thrascic spine should be mobile. Your scapul your shoulder blade should be stable. Your shoulder joint is mobile, your elbow is stable, your wrist is mobile. He's like you know, if you notice, it's an alternating pattern. It goes mobile stable, mobile, stable, and mobile stable. And that alternating pattern is how humans were design to move. Now, life can become a problem. Right, Let's say we sprain an ankle, or we damage our hip, or let's say we're born with a different joint arrangement. Now, when that pattern's broken, Gray always says something bad can happen. Now what's bad. It's called compensations. Right, you create these compensations. And now I might try and make one of those stable joints, like my lumbar spine instead of just flexing extending. The brain might go listen, I know you're only designed to flex and extend, but we need some rotation right now. And you can force your need to move lateral like it shouldn't do, or you can force your scapula to become unstable and these things can create biomechanical stress on the body that can lead injury for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I remember I had my back surgery at a micro deffected me in twenty eleven at L four and L five. That is in my lumbar spine right at the base of my spine and my hips. My hips which are designed to be moved or they're designed to be mobile. My lower back is designed to be stable, my knee is designed to be stable. So the chain, the part above and below a lot of the injuries Greg, that we see in golf, and you know this from your your medical background. Whenever my back would be hurting, you would always say, yeah, how's your knee feeling too, And I'm like, well, my knee is killing me. And You're like, okay, it's not your back and it's not your knee. It's the problem is in your hips. But the part above and below that chain are going to be where the compensation happens. The other thing that was another light bulb moment is when we were at a TPI seminar and you said, listen, you're on stage and it was golf professionals, fitness guys, medical people, and I've talked about this on the podcast many times. You said, does anybody in here want to know how to one hundred percent full proof way to change a motor pattern or a movement pattern. Everybody the room holds your hand up because that's what we're all trying to do. And you said, introduce pain immediately. If you twist your ankle, you immediately learn how to walk on one leg instantaneously. No one's taught you how to do this. You didn't go to a seminar, you didn't go on your phone and look at YouTube. You sprain your ankle and you've got to get from the soccer field to the car. You're going to learn how to walk on one foot, and your entire body will compensate the constant compensation. As you said, for a lot of people listening, I think the majority of the people listening Greg, life gets in the way of their golf, and as a result of life getting in the way of their golf to where they can't devote as much time to golf as they'd like to. Whereas the tour players that we work with, they have to take time away from professional golf to go on vacations. Right, most people have to take are trying to take time away from work to go play golf. For that golf for that is sitting in a car all the day, all day traveling. What are some of the issues that they need to look at, because I think that's most people, right. Most people are going to have a desk job, have an office job. They sit, they're in a chair that's got wheels on it. They're not doing anything rotationally. They're probably really not doing The average fifteen to twenty five handicapper does no physical warm up when they go to the driving range other than the hit golf balls and a few bullshit arm circles and a couple of you know, try and touch my toes for two seconds. But they don't do any physical warm up. They sit all day, then they stand up, then they bend forward, and then they try and rotate in their golf swing. That in large part is a massive recipe for issues if you don't know how that's affecting your golf swing.
Speaker 2: Two things. First of all, golf is very let's say, misleading, Like you said, hey, it shouldn't hurt. Most people go, I drive a cart, I drink beer, and I go and swing like this isn't. It's like pickleball and people look at pick a ball and go, oh, this is easy. Well, pickleball is creating more injuries than any's moore on the planet right now. Golf is is It's way more stressful on the body than people believe. Right, that's the first thing. Second thing is, like you said it, wherever there's smoke, there's fire. Right, So if your back, like for you, your back was the smoke. Right, we can sit there and go, hey, your back is killing me, but there's probably a fire below it, which was your hips. Right, if you're in pain when you play golf, let's say your shoulder hurts, or your back hurts, or your knee hurts. Where there's smoke, there's fire. We usually don't treat smoke by trying to stop the smoke. We try and put out the fire. Right. So, like I'm sure you experienced this is if your back was hurting, you might have been like looking on the internet, all right, what are three stretches I can do for my back? That's treating smoke. The problem is fire, right in part, Usually the part that's on fire doesn't hurt. So you got to remember, Like, so if I'm the average golfer out there. The first thing I do is an assessment, and I go, okay, does anything sore? Even though this is I kind of wish you would do this before you got sore. But let's say take the average person. When I'm done playing golf, my neck hurts, right, you take a quick snapshot and go where does it hurt? And then you have to say to yourself why, like why is my neck hurt? Right? And like we said, if you go back to that philosophy you said, there's certain joints that should be mobile, certain joints should be stable. Your big joints, your shoulder, your thoracic spine, your hips, your ankles, your wrists, those should all be mobile. If any of those you feel like, oh man, well it's hard for me to turn my trunk right, Well, if it's hard for you to turn your mobile joints, your stable joint, like your neck is probably taking the hit, right, it's probably the smoke. So don't beat up the smoke. Go put out the fire. Go after your thraastic spine, go above and below the area, like you said, where there's pain, and attack those first and see if that settles. The puts the fire out and you know, it's a beautiful world today with like, if you need exercises, it's just like if you need golf drills, you go on YouTube and find a million of them. The question is which one do you use? Right? And to me the simplistic way, like what should I do before I play? Well, if you know that, hey, my shoulder's tight or my left hip is tight, you should probably do a couple of things to warm that up so that your brain can try and use it when you play. Because if you don't, guess what, your brain's going to figure out a way to get it done without your hip and you're gonna use your knee or your lower back, and when you're done playing golf, you're gonna go, damn, my bag's killing me. Obviously, we would think you should go find somebody who can do a TPI screen on you, right and you can find somebody anywhere in the world right now, with probably within a twenty minute drive. They can do a physical screen on you. And in five minutes, we can build you a workout program on our app that it can be five minutes, it could be sixty minutes, whatever you want, and it and really take a lot of the guessing out out of her. Like I'm sure you guys screen every player that walks in. First thing you do, and.
Speaker 1: The screen that you're talking about, I think you guys at TPI, you and Dave were the first ones to kind of systemize a way to say, Okay, these are what we know the body needs to do to swing a golf club, right, these are the things that we know that your body is going to be asked to do. These are the things.
Speaker 2: Story, this is not how we did it. Let me tell you how we did it. Okay, how we came with the screen. So the screen what we did is because glaud you know this. If I sat down and I said, let's sake, I took the ten top golf coaches in the world and I sat down, I said, let's all agree on how you swing a golf club, how's that going to go? It'd be World War five? Right. So we always say, listen, there's a million ways of swing, but we said, can we all agree on these are things you shouldn't do? Which is really interesting. If you sat down the top ten golf coaches and said, hey, should you swing over the top all of them will probably say probably not right, you know. So we went through and this took a while to try and identify we called the big fifteen. Now, the fifteen most common let's say, biomechanical compensations or swing characteristics that most coaches would say, you probably shouldn't do that, it's going to make you worse. Right. So once we identified these characteristics, like like over the top, then we said, okay, what's physically required to not come over the top. So basically we went through and we tried to identify all the physical things that you had to do so that you couldn't do these fifteen bad things. Once we identified those physical things, we said, how can we quickly screen to see if you have those? And that's how the screen was born.
Speaker 1: So talk me through what the fifteen are, because I think all of the terms that you're going to throw out, some of them will be maybe new terms, but I think a lot of these are going to be terms that golfers are used to hearing, regardless of their handicap level. But because I think it really is on yeah, the big issues that we are going to look at.
Speaker 2: Here's the big ones. Okay, So sway right, So in the backswing, if you move excessively too far away from the target right uh, so you get your center of weight outside you're Let's say, if you're a right handed player, you sway to the right too far. Now, lattle motion is a very important part of the golf swing, but a lot of times if you sway too much, a lot of times you've added a new timing component and it can create problems. So if you look at the best players in the world, there's not a lot of excessive movement away from the target during the backswing. And then the opposite of that is slide on the downswing if you just keep going left versus pushing from the ground properly and creating rotation, So sway and slide. Now, with that sane sway and slide, you can do something called hanging back. If you sway and you stay on your right side and you just twist, that can create all kinds of problems without the weight ship. And then add one more we have something called reverse pivot, which is in the backswing, most players their trail leg and then they moved to the lead leg. But some players moved to their lead leg in the backswing and they moved to their trail leg in the downswing. So a lot of these are weight ship problems. Then we have one of the biggest problems, especially with professional golfers, something called early extension.
Speaker 1: And explain what that is, because that's a term that I say a lot. I think it's starting to get in kind of professional golf. We talk about it on TV a lot. But I think it's probably the thing GREG on a daily basis giving regular golfers golf lessons. It's the number one thing that I see all the time. And it's also probably the thing that I see people have no concept of as a concept either they don't they don't know their lower body is supposed to work the way it is. So that early extension, that rust What is that?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'll tell you. So, first of all, I came up with that word early extension is probably that's more of a meta word, so it probably wasn't the greatest of golf terminology. I do. There was a there's a great golf professional by the name of Wayne De Francisco. I don't know if you know Wayne, but I used to work with Wayne way back in the mid nineties and he was working on my golf swing and he's like, why do you keep thrusting? You keep thrusting, and he showed me this, and I was like, man, and I started seeing this with all a lot of my players. I'm like, I think a lot of people do this. And I was what I was saying. I was like, you're supposed to stay flexed from your hips a little bit longer, but I kept early extending out of my hips. In other words, if you look from down the line the down to the target line, and you put a line behind my butt in the downswing or in the backswing, my lower body started to move towards the golf ball. Right. Now there's the space between your belt buckle and the golf ball. Right when you set up to a ball, there's a certain distance you get it from the ball. I always say that space in front of you is for your hands in the club. If your lower body invades that space and your lower body moves towards the golf ball, first of all, it'll force you to stand up taller as your lower body moves close to the ball. But now there's no space for your hands in the club to go. So you have to figure out how to get this job done, and you're either going to try and flip the club and create this hook that happens, or you're gonna get stuck. Your arms are gonna get stuck behind, You're gonna leave the face open and it creates the block. Now, the problem with the early extension is it creates both misses. You have the block to the right and the hook to the left, and as you know, it's kind of hard to play golf when you have both misses. You're not sure which way it's going right. So this early extension to me, I was like, why are people moving towards the ball instead of rotating? You know, this is a rotational sport. I'm like, why am I doing this? And it's just such an easy compensation strategy to stand up if you can't rotate, it just makes sense. It's almost like you're chopping wood. You're up and down, up and down versus twisting. And as you know, you know, there's lots of reasons why people don't twist, and early said, if you have any rotation problems or if you don't know how to use the ground properly, early extensions is probably in your future. And then make it even worse you go get club fit, and the club fitter says, oh, it looks like your toes hitting the ground, so we're gonna bend your club's a little upright to get at your the bottom of the contact better. And maybe because your handles standing up because you're standing up, maybe the club needs to be longer. And all of a sudden you get fit to a club that only works if you early extend, and we have players. If you're if you're long and upright, you better look is your butt moving towards the ball, because if you aren't, you've been fit into a problem. Right, So early sent is definitely one of the most common one of the things.
Speaker 1: After learning about early extension, Ryan Carsler, who you know, we used to come out and see you guys all the time. Ryan came up with the anti early extension club. So he took a seven iron, made it two inches short, made it really really flat. If you early extend, meaning if you stand up, your hips go closer to the golf ball and that upper body goes back. If you do that with the golf club, this is two inches. I mean, I think that's where Ryan saw it. He saw you guys do it with Padra, that's the introducing pain.
Speaker 2: Like you said, you know, if you want to change a motor pattern, introduce pain early extent with that club. It's pain. The ball goes everywhere, right, so it's trying to figure out how to how to not do that can be very motivational.
Speaker 1: Also, that the way that lower body works in the downswing to where the lower body, the pelvis kind of everything kind of below your belt buckle when on the downswing that gets closer to the ball. You told me also once about how your upper body and your lower body work. Whichever direction your lower body goes, your upper body is going to go in the opposite direction, mainly just to keep you from falling over to fine balance. So think about how many people that are listening right now to where their number, their one and two misses are with their irons. They either hit the golf ball thin or they hit the golf ball heavy. And how many players have you seen over the years, Greg that say, really after about my nine iron, I never take a dibbot with any of my irons, right, And if I do take a dibbot, it's behind the golf ball. I hit the golf ball fat. Whenever I see that, I immediately go to, okay, what is their lower body? That's the first place I go when I see a player greg struggling with contact, I immediately want to know, is okay are they early extending on the on the on the on the downscreen. But the other thing, and you could talk about this better than I could. There are a lot of players on the backswing that are early extending. And we see that when on the backswing the weight if you're right handed golfer, on your back swing, when the weight massively goes to your toes on the on on the backswing, especially on your right toe.
Speaker 2: So on the.
Speaker 1: Backswing, that weight it's way over on the right toe, the pelvis, the lower body is sometimes getting closer to the golf ball on the backswing, and it's very hard for then the lower body to get away from the golf ball on the downswing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hate to make it like obvious, but I always say, like, okay, let's say you're I know, you have your facilion Dubai. Let's say you're on a skyscraper there and you're at the top, you're at the top floor, and you're like, hey, the buildings swaying too much. It's moving too much. Right, Are you going to work on the top floor? Are you going to go look at the foundation? Right? You know, it's like if the club is doing things and it's moving in different ways up here, Bone's like, oh, it's just got to fix their hands. I'm like, look at the foundation, it's moving all over the place, right, Like. It's kind of hard. It has to compensate based on what's happening with the lawer body. If your lower body moves too far to the left, your upbody's going to side, then too far to the right. All these things are there to keep you upright, to keep you balanced right. That's why is the building swinging. It's trying to compensate, trying to balance itself out right. So you know, early extension, like you said, can happen in the backswing, especially if you have to think about it. If it's hard for you to turn your spine to the right and it's hard for you to rotate into your right hip, it'll probably happen in the back swinging. If it's hard for you to rotate to the left or on your left tip, it's probably gonna hurt in the early extent. In the dan swing, and then we have people we call unstable early extenders. They early extend the backswing and then they add more in the dance wing right, and they want to know, like, hey, how can I shake the ball every once in a while, Like you're two inches to five inches closer to the golf ball than you were it set up. I go, the fact that you actually hit the hozzle was a miracle. Right, you're moving so close right.
Speaker 1: So chicken winging. I think that's another thing. When you give golf lessons to everyday golfers, like like I do and like you do. You see that kind of right elbow if they're a right handed golfer, that left elbow kind of getting in that chicken wing. From that down the line, you'll see that elbow. What are some of the issues if you have that kind of chicken wing over the top move that an enormous amount of people doc living listening to this podcast are going to have, right, they are going to have that kind of over the top move and then that pull across to where that left elbow if you're a left hand, right handed golfer gets into that chicken wing, what are some of the things to look at and some of the ways to address that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, first of all, chicken winging anytime on the downswing, if your lead shoulder is internally rotating versus externally rotating, creates called chicken wing, and the backswing we call it flying elbow, like if you're instead of rotating, if you're like a Fred Couples has like our John Daley as a frying elbow, where the tiger woods would have more of an externally rotated So this can happen the backswing you're downswing. The captain obvious thing here is, of course, if your shoulders don't have mobility or your forms can't rotate, it can create these things. But that is not the most common cause of chicken winging or flying elbow. Chicken winging, like you said, a lot of times, is a result of trying to hit the ball straight from over the top. So in other words, over the top is when you get steep right. So usually it's your upper body starts the downswing versus your lower body. When your upper body starts the downswing, typically we start to twist too early. When your lower body starts to downswing. Usually your upper body drops in the club will shallow early, and then as you rotate, it'll go steep late. If you go steep early, you come over the top. Right now, your whole thought is how do I shallow late? Right? When you try and shallow late, there's a couple of ways to shallow or to prevent the club face from closing. One of the best ways to prevent the club face from closing is the chicken wing It almost like there are some great players that actually chicken wing or Calvin p Yeah, I mean and think about like Lee Westwood or even Jordan Speed Like, some of these guys will do this to try and prevent the club face from rotating. There's there's some guys that try and do it to keep the face as square as possible. So if you are steep in any way over the top, one of the best strategies to prevent the club from going the ball from going left is the chicken winging right. So I would say, you know, hey, let's play that game. Why again? Right? So why are you chicken winging? Oh? It's because I'm over the top? Okay, why are you over the top? Right? Most people are over the top because their lowervite is not working. Properly. Why is lower by not working properly? Like we keep playing this game like because if you can't disassociate, start with your lower body over the top is in your future, which then leads to casting, chicken winging, scooping, all the other characteristics that we talked about.
Speaker 1: Warm ups, Greg, you know, if you go to a football game, a basketball game, a baseball game, any competitive team sport, you're probably gonna want to get there for the warm up. Watch them war up the warm up for some of these. For basketball, like the NBA right now, the playoffs are going on. I mean they're there probably four hours before the game. They're doing a warm up on the court, probably two hours they're getting worked on. Golfers now, I mean you know this because you work with some of the best players in the world. They all basically have everybody. Would you say, is there anybody inside the top fifty in the world currently, Greg, that doesn't have a physical team around them.
Speaker 2: It's very rare. I think no, not in the top fifty. I mean, I don't know who you arrive. I mean, you got to think about it. You can't give other players any advantage, right, So I'm like it doesn't matter what it is. But if you are I like, if you take the best players in the world, their whole goal is to number one, prepare their bodies so it's not an excuse. And number two is to make it so that when they play tomorrow they feel like they didn't play yesterday, right, so they feel fresh. If you're not doing things to recover and things prepare yourself, you're just giving your competitors an advantage. And the best in the world don't want to give advantages.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, and I think that's that's the thing. But the average golfer sits all week. They don't do anything really athletic during the week. Maybe they go to the gym or maybe they don't. But I would say it's a generalization, but the majority of handicapped golfers that I work with tend to be predominantly men. They tend to basically have office jobs. They're not incredibly active. They come to the golf course and they expect their body to work without really warming it up. Give me a ten to fifteen minute warm up that a player can do that doesn't really take a lot of equipment, that they can do on the driving range in the parking lot in the locker room. Give me ten to fifteen minutes of something that players listening could do that would help their body be prepared for the movement that we're going to ask your body to do in Gulf swing.
Speaker 2: Great question, and I think this might surprise a lot of people what I say here. So I think in the past we used to think claude that you know, because we'd watch athletes in the past stretch, like you'd sit there and you do these hold stretches and we spend fifteen twenty minutes. Well, a lot of research has been done on this and stretching is very powerful and it can help us in your main workouts. But before you play, one of the last things in the world we want to do is increase your range of motion to where you're not sure, Like if I give you twenty degrees the more shoulder turn, that sounds great, but hitting the ball over the green is not great. Or not knowing how to control where the club bases this is not great before you play. So before you play, we're not trying to create new mobility. We're not trying to change your swiming. We're trying to warm up the tissue you're about to use, right, And it's more about what we call motor unit activation. I'm trying to get more of your muscles to be firing so that when they go to play, it's like they've already been warmed up and doing this. So to me, motor unit activation or warm up should be exactly what it sounds like, some type of activation of the muscles. Right. So what most players do is we take some type of band. Take any type of exercise band. You can get these anywhere from Amazon, TP you get all these bands, you attach it to a door somewhere. Right, You take the band, and what most people are going to do, if I look at the high level, even if you look at the best players in the world, part of their program is going to be this. We're going to do some type of pushing, pulling, chopping lifting right. So you might see them pulling a band right with big rotation, maybe in a lunch stants or squares stand like a golf stance, pulling right. Then we'll turn around, we'll push and we'll do pushing right, because the golf swing is a series of pulling and pushing right, So we'll do push and pull and you can do this from different angles, and then we do it's called chopping and lifting. It's like a diagonal across your body, right, because your arms are now chopping down on the golf thing. So we'll do chopping and lifting. We'll do both directions, right, So some chops, some lifts, some push, some polls. If you wanted to do like an exercise bike or something just to warm up because you're about to walk five to eight miles, or even if you're riding a cart, you're still usually have to do some walking. So some type of light activation cardio wise pushing, pulling, chopping, lifting cloud would go like a mile for most people that are doing nothing right now for warm up, as simple as that, and it could take literally five minutes to just get in there and do let's say two minutes on a bike and then three minutes of pushing, pulling, chopping and lifting, and you'll probably play with less pain just doing that.
Speaker 1: If you don't have a bike, you could do jumping jacks, you could do air squabs, you could do some light running and stuff like. And then the other thing is you said you can go online and find a piece of fair band, a piece of band that can go to my TPI dot com and get all that. You could keep it in your your your golf back, and then you could attach it to the golf cart. You could just tide around the golf cart. You could tie it to If you think about where you're sitting if you're driving the golf cart, if you're sitting above kind of where your right your left shoulder would be, there's probably going to be a handle you could attach it. That's where you could do the chop, and then you could put it put it on the side of the cart and do the push pulls.
Speaker 2: Yea, and that experiment. This isn't the greatest way to do it, but if you wanted to, like let's say you're gonna you know, you're gonna play four times this month, you can say one time, I'm gonna just warm up by doing pushing, and the next time I'm gonna warm up by doing pulling, and then the next time I gona warm up by chopping that kind of lifting, and you might notice like, hey, when I did pulling, I felt way better. You can start to try and figure out what works, or maybe it's like hey, when I warm up my hips, I felt better. But not when I had warmed up my spine like a little bit. Experimenting goes a long way. If you try something and you feel like I didn't feel any difference, you didn't do the right thing, Like it literally shouldn't. You should feel better by the time you're done than the around before. If you want up properly and then cool down, it's probably even more important, I'd say, like recovery is even more important. So you're doing tissue damage when you're playing uh to to kind of some form of recovery, and there's a million Like if you go look at some of the best players in the world now, like their houses look like recovery centers at wellness centers, right, I mean from this your typical ice bass to heat, so ice and heat people use a lot, but things like infrared SNAs, red lights, hyperbaric oxygen chambers, oh something like. There's so many different things now that are out there that if you are serious about your game and you are starting to get aches and pains, get serious about your recovery as well, can make a huge difference. Nutrition, by the way, is nutrition and sleep are the two most important for recovery, right, So if you're not getting eight hours of sleep, try and figure ou how to get it done, and then making sure you have the proper nutrients when you're just like when you're working out.
Speaker 1: Witness insurmount of deficits turn into unforgettable victories at the Travelers Championship, the northeast one and only PGA Tour signature event. See Scotty Scheffler, Worry McElroy, Victor Hovlin, Patrick Cantley, and returning champion Keegan Bradley, as well as other PGA Tour stars in all four days of the competition at close by TPC River Highlands. The excitement tees off June nineteenth through the twenty third. For tickets and information, visit Travelers Championship dot com. The Travelers Championship there is only one on the golf course, I think, I mean, we notice this with players at the tour level, if they're not eating properly, they will have I mean, I remember when Brooks first started out on tour, on the PGA Tour, before he kind of became a superstar, he would have these spells on the back nine where like twelve, thirteen, fourteen, he'd go bogee, double bogie and we'd look at it and we start to look at it. If he was playing in the morning, he would eat breakfast. Let's say he was off early. Let's say teeing off around seven, seven, fifteen, he's getting off around four. He's eating probably around five. It's teen off at seven. There would be times early in Brooks's career where in the middle of the back nine he hadn't He doesn't. He hasn't had anything to eat since five o'clock in the morning. His brain is completely dead. Right, what should players be just the recreational golfer?
Speaker 2: Which are you doing? He just says it really important. What was his first sign? Because this is all the research shows. The first sign of nutritional problem is mental fatigue. Is making bad decisions ring day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he made bad decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean people don't think. They're like, oh, but I don't feel tired. I'm like, I don't understand, Like, did you make some bad decisions out there? Because that brain fog is a nutrient problem that's coming in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Whatever, What what should people be eating on the golf course? What should they be drinking on the golf course? Because they're all a lot of golfers that don't drink or eat anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so this is you know there again, every person's different. I hate that answer, but it's true. Some people will certain nutrients work better. But in general, there are three types of foods you can eat, right, A fat, carbohydrate or protein. Right, most people, if you go protein, it takes them a while to digest the protein and get the nutrients. Like if you're using like beef turkey, which a lot of people put because it's easy in the bag, they can do it. But just to know, like you if you're like, man, I need some energy right now, and you need a beef jerkey, it's going to take you a couple holes before, if at least, for that to kind of kick in. Then there's carbohydrates. Carbohydrates like a banana, right, fruits, vegetables. If you if you eat a banana, it's a very quick rush, right, so it's it's cype fruit. Does it gets into your blood sugar right away? You can get the energy, but it creates these ups and downs your blood sugar. So it's like, if you're going to do carbohydrates, then I wouldn't make a schedule like every two holes you're eating something or drinking something just to try and keep that because you need to keep it flushed in there. So what most players use, believe it or not. And like I said, when I say most seventy percent, so there's thirty percent aren't doing this. They're using carbohydrate or protein. Like it would be fats, right, So fats number one, you get more energy per killed calorie of energy of fat that you get in there, and it's slow sustained blood sugar release. And what's the most common fat would be nuts and seeds. So like some type of trail mix, some type of bars with the you know, you see these all over the place. They're very stable in the bag. And I think you know, between that and like these, the carbohydrates are probably the most common that people use during the course. But nothing is going to fix a crappy diet though, Claudes, right. So, like like you said, hopefully Brooks's breakfast was good, right, If you've got crap for breakfasts and then the golf cart comes around with the food and you're grabbing a Snickers and a gatorade and it's just more sugar and it's it's it's hard to repair on the golf course right, So you know, Uh, to me, I always say, it's just general new tditional advice if you're again, if you take your game serious. The easiest nutritional advice I was ever told was take your plate of food, whatever food you're about to eat, right, and if you look at the quantity of fats, carbohydrate, and protein, if it is about half carbohydrate, a quarter fat, a quarter protein, you're doing pretty good as long as you're picking the right carbohydrates fats in it, right, So that's kind of a good mixture. But if it's like if you look at your meal and you're like, this is one hundred percent fat, or this is one hundred percent carbohydrate, it's one hundred percent of protein, it's probably not the best.
Speaker 1: Our. Everybody's trying to hit the golf ball further. Players now are hitting the golf ball further than they ever have. You kind of started out in the long drive world. But when we're talking about power in twenty twenty four, Greg something that I think a lot of people listening to the pod are going to be hearing on a regular basis now on TV. They're hearing players talk about it, they're hearing commentators ground force reaction how players are using the ground. How can we explain that to everyone listening so they have an understanding of what it means, but also how they can start to identify how they're using the ground force reactions and how they can better use them for power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is really a it's been like a tidal wave of information over the last five to ten years, and it's really because of technology. Right. We now have these force plates on the ground where we can measure what the players are doing when they use their feet or when they push from the ground. And what we found is and Newton knew this long time ago, right, he has these He had this law, this third law whereas there's an equal opsic reaction where if I push into the ground with one hundred pounds, the ground's going to push back in one hundred pounds, right, And that force that we put into the ground, as it the ground pushes back into us, we can use that force to create rotation and power. Right. And what we've what we've found is that if you look at the best players in the world, we used to think, I'm sure back in the day Claude, we used to think like, let's look at their lead leged impact right, and we're like, you know, it needs to be firm and planted and solid. And there's we used to call it posting up on the left side right right. Well, I mean, I don't know if anybody does that anymore. Like if you look at Scotty Shot, I don't even think it's what's on the ground at impact. Right. So if you look at we've learned so much about these ground reaction forces. There's a couple of things that I think are reported for people who know. Number one, the best players in the world, they do it way earlier than you think. Right, if you're looking at impact, it's too late. Because Newton also had his first law was an object at rest stays at rest unless some type of force is applied to it. You need to push from the ground to be able to move. Right, So when you push from the ground, a chain reaction happens that makes you move. If you're trying to push at impact, it's too late. It already the movement already started. Right. So the best players in the world they push from the ground right between the top of the backs swing and shaft vertical right, that's when they push. Because now that energy needs to go from your lower body to your trunk to your arms to the club. If you start pushing later, it's too late. You can't get it to the club. So the number one rule of ground reaction for us is is the best players in the world they do it way earlier than amateurs. Amateurs are always late. I'm like, you're trying to You're trying to push from the ground at impact. I'm like that this have to happened way earlier. So the first thing we're realizing is how soon these things happen, right. And it's one of the I use an example that I hope this comes across on a podcast I do. I teach my players something called a golf vertical jump. I have ever done this with you? No? Okay, So to me this, out of all the things we try to use, rotary chairs, all stuff, I feel like this is the one that gives the biggest light bulb moment. And that is if I said, okay, I want you to jump, right, most people, if I say do a vertical jump, They're gonna squat, their arms are going to go down, and as they jump, their arms are gonna go up. Right. Can I see us on this or this is this a video podcast or just down okay, okay, okay. So so basically what you're gonna do is if you stand up and try this. Okay, if I say, just do a counter movement of jump, you're gonna squat and jump. You'll notice when you squat, your arms are gonna go down and as you jump, your arms are gonna go up. I want you to now do a golf jump, which is the complete opposite. As you squat, I want you to raise your arms up and as you jump, I want you to drive your arms down. Right when you do that, you're gonna realize that when your legs jump, your legs can actually drive your arms down. And that's what happens in the golf swing. And the golf swing is on the top of the back swing, there's a little squat as they start the down swing. The jump with the legs drives the arms down. It's not the arms come down and then you try and jump your legs. It's the legs drive the arms. And if you do this at home and you do a jump this time, when you do the jump, once you get that feeling because it's weird, it's like backwards to lift your arms up and squat and then jump and drive your arms down. Try and do it, but try and jump backwards a little bit right. Don't jump closer to the ball. Jump farther away from the ball. So as you squat and you jump away from the the golf bar will jump backwards. You'll start to feel what the best players in the world do in transition. And if you take it one step further, if I say, okay, I want you to take your hands together. Instead of just lifting your hands up, take your hands over your right shoulder for a right handed player, squat and then as you jump, I want you to feel like you're jumping with maybe twice as much from your leave foot as your trail foot. And make sure you jump backwards. When you do that, look at your feet. You'll be like, man, my feet, just it, just just jump backwards and move. And I'll say look at your feet, and I'll go look at Scotti Scheffler's feet because that's exactly what he's doing right right, And it's it's like a light bulb because what we've found is that when you actually shake the handle of the whip first, the tip of the whip goes a lot faster, right. So what we've been finding is that a lot of people are just trying to crack the tip of the whip by just moving the tip of the whip, and we're like, no, you actually should shake the handle first, and then the energy transfers through your body and that's where that that ground reaction force comes in that.
Speaker 1: I think we've been able to measure now and like you said, the best players in the world, a lot of things are happening much earlier than the average golfer. A lot of things happened earlier for the best players in the world. And one of the things that I think we've known for a while that is a tough one for the average golfer is I think in an effort to get power, a lot of players make that big, massive move off the golf ball over to the right and then, as you said, they're trying to get back over to their left, but they're doing it at impact. Victor Houghlin's become a member at my club, the Floridian, and we've got swing catalysts and stuff. So anytime any good players are around, I'm like, listen, can we just get you on swing catalyst to see what it is that you're doing. I mainly am doing it just so I can kind of see what the best players in the world are doing. And we got on swing cat and when his left when his hands were about in line with his right thigh, he had ninety percent of his pressure on his right side, but his body hadn't moved. There hadn't been any movement with his upper body or his lower body. And then by the time his arms got about his hands got about shoulder height, he already had seventy to eighty percent of his weight already going to his left foot, his lead foot, before he even changed it. I think so many golfers like they're trying to wind it up so much they get over on their right side, they're trying to make that big shoulder turn, and then they just get stuck over there.
Speaker 2: I think what you just what you just said is very very important. Is when you're looking at a force plate or even a pressure mat, which a lot of people will get on those, right now, you're looking at how much force they're pushing into the ground. So when you says Victor was pushing ninety percent of his pushes coming from his right leg, So think this through and it's happening.
Speaker 1: Greg Like, if we were looking at slow motion frames, it's like three frames off the golf ball.
Speaker 2: Think about this. When you push with your right foot into the ground, most people move left right.
Speaker 1: How do I move left?
Speaker 2: I push from my right leg to move left. So when people see the force plate going hey, it's ninety percent right, I'm like, because he's already starting to push left right, he's it's not that he's moving to the right. I think a lot of people make this mistake. They go, oh, look, I got to move ninety percent on my body to the right, and then I got to move my ninety percent of my body to the left. I'm like, no, no, that's where they're pushing right. So it's actually the opposite. They're pushing from their right leg to move left, and then they push from their left leg, which pushes them backwards. So it's it's the opposite of what you're thinking. Right to most players, they look at force and they go, oh, it's weight shift. I'm like, no, no, no, I never said weight shift. I said how much you're pushing right. So what you just said, which is really important, is most players they already start to they start to push from their right leg in the back, and then early they started pushing from their left to create this vertical jump. We just talked about this vertical it's not that they move right and move left. Yes, there's a little bit of right and left movement, but most players are pretty centered. There's not a ton of movement right. I think people misunderstand ground force and weight shift is really yeah, they're.
Speaker 1: Basic historic thumbs, Greg. I think historically, because people are so afraid of moving. You know, everybody I talk to is saying, Oh, I don't want to sway, I don't want to slide, you know, I want to try and but I still want to try and get power. And then what has everybody historically been told, Hey, you got to get your left shoulder behind the golf ball. But I think a lot of times what happens is if you think about the buttons on your shirt. What I was talking about what Victor Hoblin does is he's got ninety percent of his pressure in his right foot when his hands are kind of when his triangle of his arms are kind of right over his right thigh.
Speaker 2: But the buttons on.
Speaker 1: His shirt haven't even moved right. It's just what's happening with the lower body.
Speaker 2: You can stand if anybody if you stand up and I said, okay, I feel like you're pushing from your right like push from your left leg. You can do that without moving right. I can push into the ground without moving. I don't have to like I said, I don't have to wait shift. Now there is there is a normal kinetic sequence that happens. We talk about kinematic sequence, which is basically the sequence how your body moves. But there's a kinetic sequence, which is the forces that you use. And typically what happens like you just described in the middle of the back swing, like I was just with John Rahm a couple of days ago, like talk about starting the earliest. I mean, he doesn't even have a back so he starts right. So so basically in the middle of the back swing, they start to push with their trail leg so that they can start to go forward right. Because remember if I push from my right usually it makes me go left right. So they're starting early to push from their trail leg and creates a linear mood. So the first force we see is a linear move right from right to left, and it's a push from the trailer the lead leg. Then we see what's we call frontel plane torque, which is like a rocking motion where they bring their right shoulder down. For a right handed player, that's what helps shallow the club. It's like a twisting right. Then the next thing you do is you see the actually rotation. Right, they start to twist and rotate, and then there's that vertical jump. That's the normal kinetic sequence. It's lateral rock twist jump, and all of that occurs before the shafts vertical right. So you got to if you don't start in the middle of the back swing, I'm sorry, you got no chance, or you're gonna have a different kinetic sequence than the best players in the world.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a girl that I've had her on the pod before, but Marina Alex who I work with. She plays the LPGA. Marina is in her you know, early thirties, right, she's five 'ot three. She's had some back issues. She played at Manderbolk. She's a two time winner on the on the LPGA. She's played on the Solheim Cup. She carries the golf ball with her driver right around that two twenty five to two thirty in the air right. But she's always been trying. When I first started working with her, you know, three years ago, she was trying to get all the power in the backswing, specifically with the driver. We'd see her at the top of her backswing, Greg, get ninety percent of her weight on her right side, make this and this big, massive move over to the right. The problem is that five, if you're Dustin Johnson, if you're Rory McElroy, if you're John Rahman, you have that massive amount of speed, you can manage that. But if you don't have and the average golfer doesn't have a lot of club hit speed and a lot of ball speed. So in Marina's case, she would make this big move in an effort to try and do the right thing, get power, but then with the driver she'd just get stuck on the right side, never really get back to the left. And so one of the things that we've done is over the last couple of years is we've just basically stabilized her and said listen, don't try and move off the golf ball, stay centered and get left as early as you possibly can. And one thing it has done, Greg, is it help clean up the contact issues.
Speaker 2: You know, make one little I would make one little recommendation. It would be to try and say, push from the left as soon as you can, don't have to wait, shift to the left as soon as you can right. So I think that that's so they don't misinterpret that, because you can get onto your left and still not push from your left right. So then and then I always say, listen, there's if I take our whole power. We have a whole class on power, and if I take all the research out there, there's only three ways at ebol farther right, apply more force, right, apply more speed. Power in physics is force time's velocity or strength time speed. So I can get more force, more stronger, or I can get faster. Right now, I can do those in the gym. I get stronger and faster like John Ram's got it. He's a massive man, right, so he can apply a lot of force. So you got either two options. Get stronger, apply more force, get faster, apply on more speed. Or the third option is apply that force or speed for more time. Now, this is an important one, right, Like imagine if I put you on a chair with wheels, and I put you one foot away from a wall, I got behind you and I pushed you into the wall. Okay, I could hurt you, but I couldn't kill you. If we took thirty feet away from the wall, and now I had a thirty foot ramp time to run and plyw you into the wall, I can do a lot more damage because I have more time to apply that force and velocity. So there's only three ways in a ball. Part of there more force, more velocity, more speed, or more time. Like what is John Daly did way back in the day. What is done? They take this really long backswing so they have more time to apply force. The taller I am some of the long drive guys that can take the club way farther than the ball, they have more time. A five foot three female doesn't have a lot of time too, So it sounded like she was trying to get more time by going over here, but it was costing her force and speed, right. So it's this, it's this interplay between these things where if you take this longer swing, but now you're not applying the force because it's too late. Like if you apply the force late, that's not a zero force. It can all work against each other. So you've got to you've got to remember all three are important. And to me, like speed, you should just work on getting faster and anything you do like our guys do sprinting mechanics, they're doing medical balls, they're doing jumping things that get just to make their nervous system faster. Obviously, force, any type of strength training is going to help you. Right, Hitting golf balls helps you, but pushing, pulling, all the things we've talked about applying force and then mobility is what allows you to get the time right. So that's why all those pieces need to be part of a program.
Speaker 1: And then the other part you talked about the stability and the mobility. I think it was Dave Philips said that you guys did some massive speed games with Cameron Chengali when he was playing on the PGA Tour before he went to live. I think there was a year where he made the biggest junk jump in in driving distance, club hit speed and stuff. He said that Cam came out, came out to TPI, I was talking to you guys about all stuff he wanted to try and do to hit the golf ball further. What are some things that he could do in the gym and start and I think it was you that said that's not great. Have you ever just thought about the swinging the club faster, meaning drive the car faster? And I think a lot of times everyone thinks, oh, I don't want my golf swing I got quick. I don't want to swing too fast. But to hit the golf ball further, you have to move the tool, which is the golf club. You have to move it faster to hit the golf ball further. And I think a lot of times golfers are afraid to make fast, powerful golf swings because they've been told, no, it's got to be tempo tempo, tempo tempo.
Speaker 2: I've got some great advice for this. I got great advice. So first of all, Okay, like you said, most of the best players in the world are not swinging ninety percent, they're swinging one hundred and five percent, right, So if you're trying to get out there and guide it in, you're nervous they're going to blow it by you am out right, So how do you get to the point where it's moving fast but you're not scared? To me, and this is the biggest governor or barrier on golfers is they're scared to practice fast because they think it's going to be erratic. So what we do is we play a game that we came up with called three strikes a baseball game, right, And I'm telling you, Claude, this never fails. Right, So what we do is we get a launch monitor. It doesn't matter to get a little prgru to a track man, doesn't matter. That can measure clubheed speed. Go out, go out to your range and just do like, Okay, your life depends on hitting the fairway. I call this your cruising Like. I want to make sure you hit the fairway. Do two swings and record your clubhead speed and your ball speed. Right, clubhead speed's more important. I like to look at the club at speed. Let's say you're cruising speeds one hundred miles an hour, right, and you're like that, I know I can hit the fairway on hundred miles an hour. Then say, okay, what I'm about to do I will never do on the golfers. Okay, I'm going to do crazy stuff right now, right, and it doesn't matter. I just just don't break your driver or use a practice driver, but basically try things to make the ball go faster, Like, lift your left heel and take the club back farther. Swing your arms faster, take a faster tempo back swinging. Go ahead and lift your arms up higher. Try and make sure you're weight shifting harder. Try everything you can think of, where all you're trying to do is move the club faster. And honestly, heating into a net would be more advantage right here, because I don't want you to look at the golf ball right you will figure out that, you know, when I do this crazy thing, my club itates be went from one hundred miles an hour to one hundred and ten miles an hour, like you'll see canes up to twenty miles an hour right now when you do that? Okay, this is the most important thing. Experiment, trial kind of stuff. And even if you're like, there's no way I can play like this, you're never gonna play like this, that's not the point. I just want to know, could you move the club faster? Once you figure out what moves the club faster, let's say it's lifting your lead heel in the back swing. Okay, then you're gonna play three strikes? Okay, three strikes? Is you tee? Up a ball and you say, okay, first of all, I'm gonna swing with this crazy swing as hard as I can, and I just want to see what my clubatespeed gets up to. Let's say you do this crazy swing and you swing as hard as you can and your first swing is one hundred and eight miles an hour. Okay, so let's say it's one o eight. I want you to write down you say, first swing is one hundred and eight. Now you get to tee up another ball. If this next swing is one hundred and eight or faster, you get to keep going. If it's below that, it's a strike, right, And if it goes up, your new floor is that number, right, So you can't go blow that. So let's say your first ball is one towight. Let's say your next ball is one oh nine. Let's say your next ball is one ten. So you hit three balls, you're at one ten. Let's say your fourth ball is one o eight. That's a strike because it just went down one at ten. So when you get a strike right down, you can say, okay, strike one. Take sixty seconds. Just chill out, relax. You can hit a couple weds if you want, but just let your nervous system relax. It's only strike one. You get three strikes. Get up there, te up to your fifth ball. Now again your floor is at one ten. Now you just got to strike one eight. Your next ball better be one ten or higher. You're gonna get your second strike. Let's say your fifth balls one ten, that's tie. You keep going six ball. Let's say is one o nine, that's strike two. And let's say you're seventh balls is one oh eight, strike three. You're done. So you basically did nine balls and you were done. Right. What I do after this? That's a speed training session, right, And it's crazy. You're never gonna play golf like this. But then all you all want I want you to do is and this is what I tell myself. Okay, it's now life depends on it. I got to go to the ferry. Let's go back to a cruising speed. Now. Remember when you started, your cruising speed was one hundred miles an hour. So now you get you t up two balls. Hit the first one just trying to cruise sometimes just your brain slowing down is a little weird. The second one, usually you're back to your normal swing. I want you to look at the launch monitor. Normally your cruising speed now is one o two where before it was one hundred, and it feels like you're going slow motion. And this is the keys. I'm not changing your golf swing. I'm changing how fast your golf swing goes right. And what happens is your brain starts to go you know, I can swing one o two under control, and then as you do this speed over time, you're like, oh, I can't do one oh six over control. And in a year you've gone from a one hundred mine hour club it's maybe to one hundred and six, and it feels like you haven't changed anything. That's how you had speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And one of the things Miko Derrisco I've had in the pod who I met through Dave Phillips. He works with John Rahm and stuff like that. But one of the drills that he does with our juniors is he has them hit five fairway finders balls where they're going to hit it and play, and then he has them hit five flat out as fast and as hard as they can. We sometimes find that the flat out fast as they can, they hit more fairways doing that then they do when they're trying to steer and just get it and play and just not miss it and not hit a bad shot.
Speaker 2: For some reason, people make the golf swing non athletic. Right when we say the swing as hard as you can, actually the athlete comes out and a lot of times the athlete is way more accurate than the non athlete. Believe it or not.
Speaker 1: Listen, we could talk for hours. If people want to find out more about what you guys do at the Titleist Performance Institute, first of all, tell them where they can find it, but give the the elevator pitch on what TPI.
Speaker 2: Is real simple so we actually are part of the titlest brand. If you go to the my TPI my Titles Performance in suit so MYTPI dot com you can learn all about TPI. We basically take care of all titles players worldwide from their any any aspects of the performance. But we also certify golf coaches, medical professionals, and fitness professionals on how to do what we do. So if you're if you're in the business and working with golfers, you can go on there to learn about our seminars. Everything's online virtually and we do live classes. And I do want to shout out that we do have our TPI Annual Summit coming up here in Orlando, that mister cloud Harmon will be speaking that that's the October twenty fifth through the twenty seventh, and it's one of one of the close times where all the smartest minds in the world come together in lecture. But my TPI dot com you can learn about everything, and for.
Speaker 1: Everyone listening is if you have any sort of swing falls, anything that you do, come over the top, hit it thin, hit it fat, all of the things that we've talked about. You can go on MYTPI dot com and basically type in, okay, I come over the top, I've got limited whatever the issues are, and the AI can give you an entire workout formula.
Speaker 2: Yeah. On our website it'll say improve my game. Click on improve my gream and then it can have it'll have. There's a drill and exercise library where you can type in like hip mobility and I'll give you a ton of stuff. There's a place that says swing characteristics where like you'll look and says over the top. Click on over the top. We'll talk about some of the most common causes of these some of the physical things and at the bottom you'll see drills and stuff that usually help most of the people with the I.
Speaker 1: Can't I can't thank you enough for coming on. I've been wanting to do it for a while. But I think the work that you and Dave and everybody on your team out at the Titleist Performance Institute, like I said, it has been a life changer for me. And you know, I'm so lucky to not only be able to have you and Dave as mentors but also as friends. And there isn't anything physically that happens with my body or if we have players but that have physical issues. I mean, I'm sure you're like Jesus Chris another message from Claude, where it's always okay, what's this player doing? Or I messaged you the other day on I've messaged you twice this year. When my back went out in Saudi Arabia and I got an MRI, you were the first person I messaged and called. And you know, I went to see a doctor from my shoulder the other day. As soon as I got out. You were the first person I called, and you said, yeah, let me design a program for you for your shoulder to where we'll do some rehab drills. And within two minutes you sent me an email. I went on the TPI app and it was fifteen exercises that take about fifteen minutes. And I've been doing every day. The shoulder feels better. You mentioned the World Golf Fitness Summit in Orlando in October. The greatest minds in the game are meeting there. The fact that you have me speaking would would would mean that that's all bullshit, But uh, I'm excited to speak, and and and I can really.
Speaker 2: Dave and I have the utmost respect for you. Uh and and uh we we we see the work that you do with your players, and that's that's the ultimate test. And uh, you know, I don't think anybody gets the job done better than you do. So we appreciate you, buddy.
Speaker 1: We'll have you on next time, and we'll get you to tell the story about my dad with the medicine ball throw. Uh when hose he go ahead and tell it now quickly. It's a great one.
Speaker 2: Okay. So uh, first time I was ever invited out the titleist me and Dave the CEO while you line invites intes us to come out and test some of the best players in the world, and he's like, I got a couple players want you to test. We didn't realize it was the world match. And we get there and like, the first guy there is Phil Mickelson, and then it Turnie Els and it's VJ and you had all the best in the world there and then all of a sudden, uh this this jose Ap and Marie all the top with with your dad walk in right and Butch's just like, what are you guys doing. We're like, we're testing, doing this new three D stuff, and he's like, well test those days. So I and we kept testing everybody. Everybody was so great, and the CEO is like, all you're you're testing is the same. I'm like, well, look who you're giving us the best player in the world. These are all great players, but they'll be bad and they and I'm like he's thinking what we're doing is horrible because everybody'shown up the same. And we get jose on the three D and it's bad, like there's something wrong, and I'm like, at first I was like, finally there's somebody different. But I'm like, how do I tell it? You know, a two time Master's champion, there's something wrong. And I and Butcher, your dad's like, what's going on? And I go, well, there's something wrong with the lower body. He's like, what do you mean? And I go, I don't want to say that. I go, but like his lower body is like dead. He's like, no, no, there's a problem in his swing. Right now, we're trying to figure out what's going on. And I'm like, oh, it's like okay, I go, well, there's something wrong with his lower it's not producing power. And I think they thought he had like a foot problem or something at that time, Like I don't think they realized it was a lower back. But and I and I go, you know, I probably should test him physically real quick because we're just doing swing. So we do a quick screen. It's like, you know, I need to do a couple of power tests, and our power tests, we do a jump, we do some medicine ball stuff, and we got to the medicine ball stuff and Jose threw a medicine ball to the point where I was like, like, he threw like thirteen feet in almost like twenty two right, And I'm like, all right, stop, like time out, there's something wrong. And your Dad's like, well, what's going on. I'm like that, that's like, that's like I should see that with like a thirteen year old, like there's something wrong. And he's like, oh, come on, you can do it harder. And I'm like, no, no, you understand, like I think he might be heard, and I was like, no, no, we're done. So I go and I put my hand out to bring Jose up off the ground. I'm not paying attention to your dad, and your dad was like, oh, let me, I could throw this ball farder Dad. He grabs some medicine ball and he lays down and he just proceeds to sit up and throw the ball. But Jose was throwing the ball to me right your dad decided to throw the medical ball against a wall. But what did realize That wall was drywall right and behind that wall was the director of the facility for taitleists right there. That ball hits the wall and goes through the drywall like it's nothing at all here. It's a scream and crash, and I'm like like, oh my god, I'm never getting invited back here again. The director walks in like screaming, what the hell is going on? And I look at your dad and he's down the ground, and I swear your dad was like, who gives a I can throw a part of the throw that ball back like I was like. I was like, I'm never getting invited back here again. But the greatest that is the epitome of my father.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could just see him, Well, I'll tell you what I could do that and then he throws it through the wall and he's like, well, it shouldn't make the wall stronger. It's not my fault.
Speaker 2: He's the best. I loved it great.
Speaker 1: Talking to you, Greg, look forward to seeing you in October at the TPR World El Fitness on the top of it. So that was doctor Greg Rose from the Titleist Performance Institute, And like I said, he's one of the smartest people I've ever met. If I have any issues with my body, if I have any issues with players, He's someone whose brain I pick on a regular basis. He's a good friend and he has been an incredible mentor to me, and I certainly wouldn't be where I am in my career if it wasn't for meeting Dave Phillips and Greg Rose, because I think the work that they do is second to none in the golf space. Can't thank everybody enough for listening. It's summertime. I think everybody's going to be getting back out onto the golf course. We're going to try and get as many good guests as possible. Hit me up on social you know who you guys want to hear from. You can rate, review, subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, some of which comes to you almost every Wednesday, but it definitely comes to you almost every week. We will see you next week.