Speaker 1: The following He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys Training live from Dallas Cowboys Training.
Speaker 3: Came in Oxnard, Calos Stretch.
Speaker 4: Six seconds dot.
Speaker 3: Pitton touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: For the first time in twenty twenty three. Even though it might be a preseason it's for the first victory Monday of twenty twenty three. Everybody, I was like, well, I gotta win. How about that is? It's uh yeah, it's not as exciting. I guess it's a regular victory Monday. But welcome in nonetheless to a Victory Monday of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. Alongside Isaiah Stanbach, Nick Harris, John Matchoda, I'm Kyle Yeomens with Chris Beam of course running everything in the back here.
Speaker 4: It is, here's the music of the Dallas Beatings.
Speaker 2: On top of it, the Cowboys get to win thirty one sixteen on Saturday night against the Las Vegas Raiders in front of Tom Brady and Company, who was of course in the ownership group with the Raiders. Tom Brady said ruin their night to his quarterbacks before walking out of the tunnel, and instead Will Greer.
Speaker 4: Goes and ruins the Raiders night.
Speaker 2: Had really his best career performance, even though it might have been in a preseason action.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get into Will Greer.
Speaker 2: We'll get into the reason why Will Greer is a talking point at this point in time, But I want to start with the thoughts around the game, John, what did you think about the Cowboys in the way that they fared in that final preseason matchup.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously Will Greer looked great. He had a lot of motivation, so it's not a huge surprise that he played well. That would probably be my biggest takeaway. Second is probably it was entertaining to see Dak Prescott call plays. Just to see him on the sideline doing that, seemed like he was probably more into the game than he would have been if he wasn't doing that. And then I'd say probably Hunter Lipke that would probably be the other big one. But we knew going in that Lipke and Greer were going to play a ton, so it's tough to balance, like, Okay, how much does this mean? Like for example, like Dak you know, calling the plays having success with it, You're kind of sitting there and you're like, oh, yeah, Like there's a lot of people that probably like, oh, he could probably do this on Sundays. And he was quick to say after the game like, no, I mean they were running three coverages. This wasn't like a regular season game or anything like that, but it still made it a lot more entertaining for a game where you knew the starters weren't going to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you really kind of got to see that was just pure Will greer Nick. I mean the fact that the emotion was high. Of course, the Cowboys trading a fourth round pick for dre Trey Lance on Friday, and that was really the talking point. We'll dive into Trey Lance in a couple moments, but I mean you could see the emotions even after the game. You were right in the middle of it in the postgame press conference or postgame open locker room, and he was about as emotional as you could get following a.
Speaker 4: Performance like that. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I'll say the performance reminded me of when he was a senior at was Virginia walking into Austin, Texas and coming back down I believe it was seventeen and winning that game and scoring the winning two point conversion and just going horns down. But no, it was really fun to see Will Beck in his elite form, and he was so good on Saturday on Saturday night, and I was kind of watching the highlights back last night. Man, there's a fit for him in this league somewhere, and I think he could be a really good backup somewhere. But talking about the emotion, he was very emotional because he had gotten a lot really close with these guys, Dak Prescott, he had mentioned, you know, by name of course, Cooper Rush. That entire quarterback room was really close knit and while they were competitive, they were brothers with each other. And so you could see the emotion in Will just having to walk away from those guys, which is tough. But you know, I'm really excited to see where he lands this week, because I know he'll land somewhere.
Speaker 2: I'm looking up on the screen and I'm seeing Dak Prescott being interviewed postgame, and Nick Harris is in the corner of that.
Speaker 4: Shot as well. On NFL picture of that earlier.
Speaker 2: What were your takeaways from from Saturdays when Isaiah a great, great job again by the way in the booth, got a chance to look at it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there you go. It's very nice.
Speaker 7: I gotta be better about my facial expression.
Speaker 4: I got to smile a little bit.
Speaker 8: Gonna take it till you make it. No thanks, K why?
Speaker 9: But I was just happy and proud of Will gear Because people forget.
Speaker 8: People forget really quickly in this industry.
Speaker 9: And Will Greer was in competition, in real competition, and was actually leading the competition to be the backup quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys just a year ago, and had it not been for his injury, he probably would have beat out Cooper Rush last preseason. It didn't work out that way, right, And the league is the league, and things happen the way they happened. But what you saw on Saturday night is what he's fully capable of. Nobody questions whether or not Will Greer is smart enough. Nobody questions whether or not Will Grear has the attributes in terms of ability to run or the ability to throw.
Speaker 8: Nobody has those questions.
Speaker 9: All the questions regarding Will Greer was always his decision making, always, and that is fully in his power to be able to correct at any point in time in his life. And he corrected that on Saturday night. He made the right choices, He made the right decisions. He took the easy plays, he took the dump downs, he took the flat routes. He allowed his guys to go out there and make plays for him, and because of that, his stat line was absolutely insane. His ability to use his legs, guess what, that's what he does. That's natural for him. Throwing on the run, getting out the pocket, bootlegs, those things are all things that are he's capable of doing every single time he touches the field. He just made the right decisions. So it's kind of it's awesome for him that he did that on that platform, but it sucks because if he had he done this before, he wouldn't be in this position.
Speaker 5: See I kind of make the argument that he didn't even have and he's saying it at all. Yeah, I really honestly don't think it mattered about training again the preseason. The only chance he was gonna have to like make a meaningful impact on this team was to be the backup and the only way that was happening was un an injury. And the only reason I say that is because he's not replacing Dak And I'm sorry. There's just nothing you're gonna do with Oxnard. There's nothing you're gonna do in these preseason games that are gonna make me go, yeah, let's get rid of the guy that's five and one as a starter stepping in a backup situation. That's the thing about Cooper Rush, Like, yeah, he doesn't wow you with a lot of things, but to go five and one as a starter and it's not like any of those where like he had a lot, like a big heads up like hawming it about to be the starter. And it wasn't like he just beat all bad teams. I mean there were some good teams, the Bengals, the Rams before everybody got hurt two years ago against Minnesota. Like you're not gonna sit there and go away from that just because you're just like, yeah, you know.
Speaker 10: We could have a stronger arm.
Speaker 5: Yeah we could have a guy that's a little bit no, that is exactly what you want in a backup quarterback. The other thing, and is obviously we'll get into the addition on their team. The other problem that for Will Grear is his age, because he's twenty eight, Cooper Rush is twenty nine, about to be thirty, and Dak is thirty. And when you are all in that clump, like if Will Greer is twenty two twenty three, well, first of all, they're not making the trade that we're going to talk about. And second of all, he's still going to be on this team. But it's because they're all in kind of that same clump together. But I mean to your guy's point, and there's no question that he can play in this league. It just he kind of got in a tough spot where, let's be honest, like two years ago, we never thought Cooper Rush would get into games and play as well as he has. If you just go off of preseason and training camp practices, you never would have been like, oh yeah, no, I could tell yeah. I remember third practice in ads, Rush looked like he was ready. You never saw that. You never saw it. And in a way, it's kind of like Dak too, like there were a tone of those pricees with Jamil Showers. You never were like, oh no, no, this guy Kelmore is gonna get hurt and he'll take Tony's job. Like nobody was saying that at the time. What happens in the games, to me, it just is matters so much more.
Speaker 2: So with that being said, you talked about how Will Greer had little to no say over the quarterback depth chart. If he plays like he did on Saturday in the preseason the first two games against Seattle and against Jacksonville in Week one, do they make the trade for Trey Lance?
Speaker 4: Do they even go out and make it? Or was the value too good.
Speaker 2: There for the Cowboys and a fourth round pick, a former top top three overall selection in the NFL draft back in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: Was the value too good there to pass up? Period? No matter how your backup quarterbacks played, I.
Speaker 5: Would say the majority of people would say they don't make the trade. They stick with him if that happened, sure, but the majority of people don't matter. The only person that matters at end of day is Jerry Jones and the fact that Trey Lance was a third overall pick, that they had a high second round grade on him and looked at him as a potential future starter in the NFL. I just think that that was like just too much of a like a thing that Jerry was not going to pass up on when he said certain talks before that game about how we just didn't want to hang up the phone. Well, when Jerry is committed to like that, he's not going to.
Speaker 10: Lose out on a deal.
Speaker 5: And so I think trey Lan's becoming available is the key part in that too, because again, if that doesn't happen, Will Greer is clearly still here. He's not going anywhere. But because he became available and Jerry fell in love with that. Really, at the end of the day, it's only about what he thought. You know, you could have a bunch of the scouts telling him like, no, I think there's still some upside here with Greer, but if Jerry wants to do it, Jerry's.
Speaker 11: Going to do it.
Speaker 6: And Jerry was talking about it pregame and he said that he had been wanting to get a developmental quarterback and with Dak Prescott and at least for the last three years, he had talked about wanting to go get Jalen Hurts. It looked like he wanted to use the third round pick on him, but he got picked I believe two or three spots after Trayvon Digs.
Speaker 7: So that didn't work out.
Speaker 5: So when Jerry said that too, by the way, yeah that's like third fourth round. That's not like that's not like, oh we were right there. It sounds good as a story, yep, especially right now because Jalen Hurts is far exceeded what you thought he was going to be. But the Cowboys have shown you that they were not taking second round quarterbacks and they certainly weren't going to take him over Trayvon Diggs. So when they say that, it's all so like, you know, Dak could have win in the second round and been like, well, were you like Dak too?
Speaker 10: You like Dak in the fourth round?
Speaker 5: Like it was not where it's not like it's real close, like oh, they got our guy right before us or something like that, like how you can make the case for when they tried to trade up get Text and Lyunch when they they wanted Connor Cook. You know, so so those are that's a little bit closer. But I just think that him and he wouldn't say Jalen hears his name. He just kept saying Philadelphia quarterback.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm just kind of like I just where that team was at.
Speaker 5: They were not taking him anywhere in the second round, maybe third maybe, but I find it very hard to believe that they were going to take him anywhere close to her Phillip, because I remember when it happened.
Speaker 10: It was a surprise that Philly took him there. Like it like Jalen Hurd.
Speaker 5: Certainly everyone thought was gonna be an NFL quarterback, but not to the level that he's become.
Speaker 4: You know, No, he was a winner.
Speaker 2: It was kind of it was very similar to Dak Prescott won a lot of the sec was was it a program where he was really the leader, the unquestioned leader, and then.
Speaker 5: Took a seat at Oklahoma where he were like, oh wow, he went back to the big twelve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So I think there's there's levels to it with this Trey Lance deal because it's not only just a backup quarterback. If you're looking at trading a fourth round pick for Trey Lance because it's for a backup quarterback.
Speaker 4: You're not looking at this situation the right way at all. You're looking at it as.
Speaker 2: Okay, developmental potential starter in the league, high value potential comp pick coming if he doesn't necessarily play a whole lot here, but he signs elsewhere as a number three overall pick, that's a very high probability even three or four years down the line. If he signs elsewhere, plays a significant amount of snaps, then all of a sudden, that fourth round pick comes right back.
Speaker 4: To you in the form of a compensatory pick.
Speaker 2: There are levels to this, but also negotiation in there too with Dak Prescott as contract questions come up here in the next couple of months, or really once the season comes to a close. Isaiah, From an x's and o's standpoint, though, what do you like about the trade made for Trey Lance and what the Cowboys did by going out and getting a guy that not only was highly touted enough to go number three overall in the draft, but also somebody that's young enough to grow and to learn underneath, a guy like Dak Prescott.
Speaker 9: I think it's a great pickup for them from a number of standpoints, not only number one. You look at age or we just we just touched on that a little bit. He's a young, young quarterback that doesn't have a lot of experience. I mean he has, you know, obviously one year before coming into the league. Really and then a couple of years in the league so where he really didn't touch the field. So you talk about somebody who's raw, who's still moltible, you don't really have to tear down a bunch of bad habits. I think that's a great situation to be in for the Cowboys. Obviously, he comes into a situation with coach McCarthy where he knows how to take care of quarterbacks and develop quarterbacks. You put him in a room where he's now doesn't have the pressure in the expectation of being a starter, and he gets to be behind somebody who approaches the game the way as Dak does. And also he fits the mold of what you're doing offensively right now. I mean, the reality is Cooper Rush is a sure thing and he's a safe thing, but he doesn't his style of play doesn't fit what they like to do right now. You have to change your offence if Cooper Rush comes into the game. There's things that you just can't do any team I don't care. I mean, regardless of how good you know your backup quarterback might be, you would prefer to have your backup be able to execute and play the same style of ball as your starter does, and that's what Trey Lance possesses those same attributes as a DAK Prescott, if not more in terms of athletic ability.
Speaker 8: So those are all positive things.
Speaker 9: And then obviously the things that Kyle's kind of alluded to, they just got out of it at a situation with Zach Martin where they didn't have any leverage. Yep, they had zero leverage. Da Martin was like, go ahead, let the guys play. You know, the guys that are behind the starters, they're not even in the same hemisphere as me.
Speaker 8: Right, you don't. As an organization.
Speaker 9: You want to make sure not only that you fortify your room all the things that we're hearing from ownership. You want to fortify your room, have a solid QB room. There's not enough qbs to go around in this league. There's high value. We get it also on a business end, when it comes time to sit down and have conversations with DAK.
Speaker 8: As smooth as.
Speaker 9: Everybody would like it to go, it may not go as smooth as they'd like it to go, and they need some kind of leverage as well on their end to say, well, if you want to play this way, then we still have this that has developed into whatever they're expecting him to be Trey Lance, that is at that given point in time.
Speaker 8: So number of.
Speaker 9: Things, but I think it's a great pick. If you're going to spend you spend everybody's up here complaining about it. You spend a fourth round pick on Dak Prescott, nobody's complaining. You just spend a fourth round pick on Trey Lance. I don't understand what the conversation is.
Speaker 5: The only thing on the leverage thing for me is that I do think they'll get a new deal done with Dak between now and whatever six months from now, and so I don't think Trey Lance is going to be able to do much on the field to make you think that he's anything more than the guy that couldn't beat out Rock Purdy and couldn't beat out Sam Darnold. So I don't know that there's much leverage between now and when that happens. I mean, so Jerry's quote on this was candidly, I don't want to plan on, count on, or wish for help from him this year. So if you're not getting a help from him this year, so the only way I would see that it would be you know, substantial leverage would be is if Dak got hurt and let's say Cooper Rush stepped in and they were just like it just kind of there was nothing there and it just was kind of which, to be honest with you, I think that Cooper Rushes in even a better situation now than when he stepped in before, just because the way he plays just don't turn the ball over, just be safe, plays right into what this Dallas defense has, you know what I mean, look at the only game out of those when he's gone five when to start, the only lost is the one when he threw the three picks against Philadelphia, and how close that game ended up being in the end. If he just takes care of the ball, who knows, maybe they win that game too. Maybe he's you know, six and Oz is a starter. So but let's just say hypothetically, if something like that was to happen and then Lance gets in and you're just like, whoa, Like, this kid's got it. He just didn't get the chance, you.
Speaker 4: Know, clicks for him, right.
Speaker 5: But the other issue you run into even there is like he's got his own injury history, you know, where he also has to stay healthy because that's the other part of it. You know, you see a lot after the trade happened, was about let's just get some package is where he can just run and do some stuff like that, Like, well, do you really want to stunt his growth as you're trying to make him into a quarterback. You don't really want him to be oh, what's his name? The bell Dozer package at Oklahomaah, you know what I'm saying, Like this is like.
Speaker 4: Belle right, former Dallas Cowboys Tied.
Speaker 10: In Chiefs Cowboys back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, you don't really want to do that with with Trey Lance. You have visions of him having the ability to be a starter in the NFL, and if it's not for your team, you want him to be there, because, let's be honest, if you have a quarterback that show starter trades, there's always gonna be a value for that player.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I like what you said, Isaiah about him not having the pressure anymore coming in as a number three overall pick. You have pressure from the moment you walk on that stage and shake Roger Condell's hand and being able to just take that away, that pressure off his shoulders and be like, hey, we're going to give you these two three years to figure this out, and I believe it would be three more fifth year options is exercise correct? So yeah, yeah, that pressure is such a huge thing to take off of somebody, especially as a coure if you're a quarterback or a kicker, being able to take any pressure off your shoulder is very important.
Speaker 5: The wild storyline, real quick, wild storyline from all of this will be because I I the way I ranked the NFC is it's the Niners, Eagles and Cowboys and then everybody else. Yeah, and if it's an NFC championship game where it's the Eagles and Niners, again, like.
Speaker 10: How crazy is it that they both made some.
Speaker 5: Terrible decisions at quarterback Eagles paying wins, trading three ones and a three for Trey Lance, And then you're able to get away from that and it doesn't even set you back because that was always the thought, like you better hit man, you trade these three ones for this quarterback, you better hit on this guy, or you guys are going to be digging.
Speaker 10: Out of a hole forever.
Speaker 5: And it's like there's been no hole dug at all from those two teams.
Speaker 2: That's that is wild to think about because of this being such a quarterback driven league, you you end up and I think the comparisons between brock Party and Trey.
Speaker 4: Lance, or even mind boggling, the fact that Lance was the number three overall pick. Brock Party was literally mist irrelevant in the draft just one year ago.
Speaker 2: It's always very, very odd to see how this league works out.
Speaker 4: And you said it happens quick in the league, right, I mean, it always does.
Speaker 9: I mean, and from lot I mean it's people will they just have to wait and see. But I could tell you from a former players perspective, even when I left here, when I got cut by Dallas. When I was playing for Dallas, I had a ton of injuries and a ton of stress and frustrations and trying to learn a new position and not getting a coaching. There's a whole lot of things that went into my time here that didn't pan out.
Speaker 4: The way I wanted.
Speaker 9: But when I got released and then I got picked up again, you talk about the weight off your shoulders.
Speaker 8: Oh crap.
Speaker 4: I went.
Speaker 9: I left here and went to New England, and I was a whole nother person, a completely different person. When I stepped on the field out there. There was no expectations that I had here. I didn't have people looking at me, you know, saying, oh, your injury prone, all that kind of stuff. Like all that weight was off my shoulder and I was doing things out there that I hadn't done even remotely thought about doing here in Dallas.
Speaker 4: So it does play a fact.
Speaker 8: Confident is everything.
Speaker 9: I don't care if you're a first pick in the draft or your last pick in the draft. As an athlete, your confidence is literally everything when it comes down to you can I execute if you have a question mark in your head on whether or not you could do something, or I have to do it perfectly because I'm gonna get scrutinized for it. Like all those things add pressure, and yes, some people are gonna say, well, he shouldn't be in.
Speaker 4: That position if he can't handle the pressure.
Speaker 9: BS, he's a human being, right, and he's a young human being at that he Now he gets to find him his way into an organization that is an amazing organization. They take care of their players, right. The development is going to be there. He has people that are gonna love on him, the competition is going to be there. All those things come into it. And now guess what, he's rejuvenated again and he gets to find his way, maybe even for the first time as a football player.
Speaker 10: And to your point on that, Isaiah.
Speaker 5: So the Niners played Friday night, and after their game, their GM John Lynch was available, and then their head coach Kyle Shanahan, and both these are separate press conferences, and at different times, both of them talked about sitting in the room with Trey and and telling him, Hey, this is what happened. We end up trading you to the Dallas, And they both talked separately about how excited he was. So it just really makes me think of what you just said up and.
Speaker 4: You hear it.
Speaker 9: John Lynch said, we might have gave upon him too early, right, Shannon has said I might have gave up on him too early. One of my boys who's on the coach staff over there, said they quit on him. Like when you know all that is going on around you, right, and you know everybody's looking at you and looking at you with negative intentions, you can't be you, you can't play, you can't They already have chosen their winner, right, that's their Party's their dude, Barne.
Speaker 4: Whatever circumstances it took place. That's their dude.
Speaker 9: There's nothing regardless of where I was drafted, that I can do that's going to convince them unless I just do everything perfectly well.
Speaker 2: It goes back to what John said about Will Greer early on. If you have a guy that comes in and fills in in a role and wins games.
Speaker 4: Brock Purty last year as a starter, he started eight games.
Speaker 2: He was seven and one, and of course they went to the NFC Championship game. Party was able to lead that team because much like the Cowboys defensively, the forty eine have some dogs on the defense.
Speaker 4: As long as you take care of the football offensively, you're gonna win games. I e.
Speaker 2: Cooper Rush with the Cowboys, Will Greer as the third string quarterback, what else do you do?
Speaker 4: Trey Lance?
Speaker 2: It's it's a different situation because he was a number three overall pick. That's the difference between Will Greer, who was a top one hundred pick in his own right, and Trey Lance. And then it also the age factor comes into it too, with it being just twenty something, you're twenty is he going into his age twenty four season?
Speaker 4: So he turned twenty four this year.
Speaker 10: Turned twenty three and just turned twenty three rounds.
Speaker 4: And either way, that's not very not experienced, just as.
Speaker 9: Fresh on everybody's mind in terms of giving them a visual of what it's like to know that you're a dog at a position, know that you're a player, you belong in this league, and things just happen and it kind of takes away your confidence and then something else happens that triggers you just to be relaxed.
Speaker 8: What did Will Griar just do after he was told that you don't have the pressure.
Speaker 4: One for the first part of life. Yeah?
Speaker 9: Literally, He's like, I know I could play in this league. Well guess what, You're not going to be on our team anymore. You're auditioning for everybody else. Cool, say, rightball bet.
Speaker 10: Trey last year in twenty three in May, Okay.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so this is his age twenty three season.
Speaker 2: He's got a long way to go, no doubt about it, and he's he's got an uphill challenge. But from everything Isaiah is saying, everything John saying, even Nick Harris over here, I feel very good about this situation for Trey Lance. And if you're if you're upset about the fourth round pick. You're upset about that and losing the draft picks. I love draft picks as.
Speaker 4: Much as anybody in the business.
Speaker 2: This is a good value and this is somebody that I think is going to help your football team in the long run, whether or not it's it's as a quarterback or it's as a trade bait, whatever it ends up being down the line, this is a guy that I think you can you can really rely on and grow on.
Speaker 4: We'll talk more about Trey Lance.
Speaker 2: I'm sure as the season goes along, we're probably going to talk about him as much as any backup quarterback get in the NFL, along with the national media.
Speaker 4: But when we come back, let's play the fifty three man game. Let's try and build this roster.
Speaker 2: We've got GMS in the vicinity today here on Talking Cowboys. We're gonna make this roster ourselves and try and fix the Cowboys to go and win a Super Bowl here in twenty twenty three when we come back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 12: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 13: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and.
Speaker 12: Toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 14: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 15: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the coffee Club today.
Speaker 2: Once you use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for.
Speaker 4: Just ten bucks with free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb.
Speaker 4: Go to get Jack Black dot com.
Speaker 2: Slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim Bucks free shipping.
Speaker 4: Hey, honey, can we talk? Of course? What's up? Well?
Speaker 11: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 4: Have you vote this way a long time?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 14: I just think I'd really like the taste of Doctor Pepper World with layers of flavor.
Speaker 4: If you feel that way, I think you should try it. Babe. It's amazing.
Speaker 10: I mean you're amazing too, dude.
Speaker 9: Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 4: The Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This portion of Talking Cowboys is brought to you by Quaker. Oh It's a super trusted super food. Quaker Oats, the official.
Speaker 4: Oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Welcome back in to the SWBC studios.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 2: Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. We have Nick Harris, Joan Matchoda, Isaiah Stanback. I'm Kyle you olms, gentlemen, you want to play GM for a little bit here.
Speaker 4: Let's go. How does that sound? Love it?
Speaker 2: So we're gonna build this Cowboys roster position by position. We're gonna go all the way up and down. And I mean, we just got done talking about quarterbacks, right, but let's go ahead, and uh, let's let's see what we can do for the quarterback position as a whole. Let's start with Dak Prescott. You think we're keeping this guy around this year? You think he's good to go? Probably pretty safe?
Speaker 4: Wow, Okay, that would be something deeperseason.
Speaker 2: You know, I just how many quarterbacks are you keeping on the fifty three man roster?
Speaker 4: New rule and intact here? Do you keep three guys?
Speaker 2: Or do you only have the two and have Cooper rush kind of up and down.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's necessarily a possibility right now.
Speaker 10: I don't think so either. It'll be three.
Speaker 5: So when they made the move for Trey Lance, you also you gave up one of your roster spots on you on your fifty three. But also you also gave a fourth round pick that I'm not saying they would have traded a fourth, but I was of interest. Again, if I'm being the GM right now, I had some interest in possibly shipping a fifth or a sixth around this time for some offensive line depth help. And now that I just traded my fourth, I don't know how much I want to trade one of my fensers six.
Speaker 4: I kind of get you taking care of at that point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know like that kind of I mean maybe if it's one for Usually they want to trade ones that are in that next year's draft.
Speaker 10: That's what teams want and return.
Speaker 5: So now I'm kind of sitting there going, well, this move prevents me from possibly doing that, so we'll see. Maybe they're a little bit riskier than I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the one weird thing about the trade Lance trade was the timing of it. You would think that backup quarterback was not nearly as high on the list from a priority standpoint as maybe some offensive line depth, some linebacker.
Speaker 4: That was the one.
Speaker 10: It's surprising.
Speaker 5: It's one of the most surprising moves of the Cowboys have made in a while, and it's one of those where I feel like the Cowboys are always mentioned with anybody that's on the trade talks or a free agent, and there wasn't a lot of like real chatter about this, you know, And you find out that forty Naers really wanted to trade him to the AFC. But then the Cowboys come in with clearly the best offer of anyone. So I think it surprised the Niners and probably most of the league.
Speaker 2: By the way the quarterback rule, the emergency QB rule change that the NFL puts in this season, teams who are carrying two quarterbacks on their active roster on game day may carry a third emergency quarterback from the fifty three man roster who does not count against the team's game day roster, so they do count toward the fifty three.
Speaker 4: You don't get really a break there, but it doesn't count toward the forty eight. On game day.
Speaker 2: Whenever you have to activate all those guys, it has to be on the fifty three. So we're keeping three guys. We're down the fifty roster spots. Running back Tony Pollard duce Vaughan, Is that RB two right now? Do you feel pretty comfortable about are you keeping three guys?
Speaker 4: What do you think Isaiah keeping three? I think you're four going forty. Who's your four?
Speaker 9: I think you are going with obviously TP, you got Jones, you got Duce Vaughn, and I think you have to keep Rico.
Speaker 4: You're keeping Ronald Jonson the roster. Yeah, you're keeping Ronald Jones. That's just a question. Yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 9: I don't think they hold on to them all the way camp just to let him go.
Speaker 6: I think maybe the hold on part was to see if he could be ready for a last preseason game. I see, I see it being tough keeping him around personally, and that would be tough too, especially considering his two games suspension. Me, it's Tony, Rico, Douce Faun. And then the question becomes, and it's been posed in the last thirty six hours, is it Sean McEwan or Hunter.
Speaker 7: Lipkey that takes that extra offens the spot?
Speaker 8: I'm taking McEwan, Yeah, McEwan on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, what do you think? John?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going three running backs. I'm going Rico, daud Or, Tony Pollard and Douce fun.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going there too. I think you've seen enough from Malik Davis I like the possibilities of Hunter Lipkey, but just on this roster right now, and I think you can get away with putting Ronald Jones maybe on puff to start the year and kind of statu him for a little bit.
Speaker 4: If that's the case, you keep him around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know what the value will be on him with him not playing and then the fact that he's suspended for the first two games.
Speaker 4: I don't sure.
Speaker 10: Maybe somebody does.
Speaker 4: But if you if you put a player.
Speaker 2: They have to be active to serve those two games suspensions, right, I believe so?
Speaker 4: Okay, so yeah, oh man, that but I think so.
Speaker 2: I think at the case, at this case, I think we're keeping three running backs and we're moving moving along.
Speaker 4: All right, Let's go to a wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Got Ceedee lamp, Brandon Cooks, Michael Gallup, Jalen Tolbert, Cavante Turpin. Turpin took the pads off in that last game. Pretty set there, So there's five, no doubters. Who's your sixth guy?
Speaker 4: Who earned the spot to be the sixth guy? Or do you keep five and roll with it that way? I was about to say that you need six. I think they go five receivers.
Speaker 2: Four tight ends, Okay, you keep the extra tight end, save a roster five.
Speaker 4: I think if anything that says a roster spot. Defensively, this is a two tight end offense.
Speaker 9: I don't know if anybody's recognized yet, but this is a two tight end offense. The majority of this offense is the foundational pillar of it is two tight ends. So if you go into it with three tight ends, yeah, you're playing with fire. So you need four guys there. I agree with you guys on a running back situation. I just didn't know how the Jones situation is going to pan out. So sure, four tight ends, five receivers, I don't. I think if you keep a sixth you're forcing it. Then you have too many guys on defense to be loading up with guys on offense that you may not utilize.
Speaker 5: I mean, they love to keep their draft class, but I just haven't seen enough from Jalen Brooks for me to not be able to let him and send me go and not think that one of these receivers. I mean, heck, you look at like even the game Tyron Johnson had on Saturday night, like it's kind of like running back for me too, here, I just wide receiver and running back. When you're talking about a fourth running back, a sixth wide receiver. Come on, guys, everybody, this isn't the only team cutting down to fifty three. Like, you can't tell me there's not gonna be some guys out there when everybody else and on one day is going from ninety to fifty three. You cannot tell me that there's not gonna be six receivers that are out there. Plea six seventh eth quality offensive lineman, probably not six seventh eighth quality defensive lineman, probably not running back and wide receiver.
Speaker 10: I think you can find somebody.
Speaker 4: So are you keeping five guys?
Speaker 10: Five guys? That's the five you sa rolling with?
Speaker 4: The five? I would like to maybe take a chance on Jalen Brooks here. I've seen enough.
Speaker 10: I think he would clearly the sex. I really do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've seen enough from Simmy Fooco. I love the guy, I really do.
Speaker 2: I think I think he's run the course here, and then he's given plenty of opportunities either to stay healthy or to continue growing into a role in either what Neither one of those things has happened since he was drafted.
Speaker 4: So I think Brooks.
Speaker 5: That's really tight for me that that was gonna be like, that's one of my first three or four.
Speaker 10: Cuts off of there.
Speaker 5: But I kept an extra defensive lineman, an extra the dB that you guys might disagree with him when we get to that, but that's what.
Speaker 10: It came down to.
Speaker 5: Also the fact that I just found out that we're going to have a trade a fourth round pick for changes.
Speaker 4: I think it takes up a roster spot Brooks.
Speaker 9: You can roll the dice on him clearing waivers because what we know of Brooks, the majority of that has tim in practice truly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good point. There's no tape on it, no film on it.
Speaker 2: So I'll say five maybe, but stix in parentheses right now.
Speaker 4: But we're keeping five receivers, four tight ends.
Speaker 2: John Stevens on IR so you don't have to worry about losing the rookie this year, Jake Ferguson, Peyton Hendershot, Luke scoon Maker, Sean.
Speaker 4: McEwan, everybody gear the tight end. Yeah, there's your four.
Speaker 2: So offensively, in terms of the skills positions, right now, we have fifteen positions, taking up three quarterbacks, three running backs, five wide receivers and four.
Speaker 4: Tight ends, and that's where we've got going forward.
Speaker 10: Now, this is where it gets interesting.
Speaker 2: This is where things can get crazy. Offensive line. How many guys are you keeping? We'll start with the starters. The starters are going to stay there, Terrence Steel, Zach Martin, Tyler Biattish, Tyler Smith, Tyron Smith.
Speaker 4: All right, who's next? Who would like to go?
Speaker 10: Well, there's no chance that they would let Austin Richards go.
Speaker 5: Okay, I mean, even if he didn't look good, you're not going to give up on a.
Speaker 10: Fifth round pick that quickly.
Speaker 4: So there's six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I don't think they would move on from well, let's go either, just because of the fact that they don't they don't really have any depth at offensive tackle.
Speaker 10: I feel pretty confident with him.
Speaker 5: And I kind of feel confident that I don't feel confident with him as a player. I feel confident with them keeping him.
Speaker 4: But this is us as gu Do you want to move on from him? That's the case.
Speaker 5: And I would even say I think Chuma Dog is pretty safe just because of the investment they made.
Speaker 6: Probably I l so then after that he does that count towards the fifty three?
Speaker 7: Initially, if he's going to go on pump or I are.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, he might not. Then that's true. That's a good point. If he goes on IR, then he's done for the season.
Speaker 2: You do have to get down to fifty three, he can go on pump and at that point, so I think I think you could probably get away with stashing.
Speaker 5: Those are the names that I feel like from everything I've heard from the organization that they talk up. You know what I'm saying, you could kind of you could probably throw josh Ball in there. But him coming off the injury, he seems like a guy that like probably won't be ready for a couple of months. And again, like we haven't seen enough on the field to think that. I'm just saying this is going off of what the way that they talk.
Speaker 2: But how svere is Josh Ball's injury He left the game on Saturday. Did we get an update on that?
Speaker 5: We and I've seen there there are some reports that he might be out for significant a.
Speaker 7: Couple of months. I think it was a timeline by report.
Speaker 4: But okay, so.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can to stash josh Ball there too, So Matt will let's go awesome Richards, Matt Farniak I'm not unborable, let's go.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're done with if you if.
Speaker 5: You're not, if you're not on board with Matt will, let's go. He probably just keep seven offensive linemen and keep those other rosters.
Speaker 4: The thing, I'll put it this way.
Speaker 9: I believe that there are seven on this roster, okay, and I think that they're going to go grab two more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that would be And that makes a ton of sense because that's the thing. Like I always am stuck around offensive defensive line, around that number ten, which it's generally where you know, you go over your fifty threes from the last whatever decade. It's usually in that neighborhood. But why not go a little bit lighted offensive line. If you don't really trust your back why not trust bringing in a couple of new guys. Because when I made mine, I put mine out this morning. A comment that I got was the last, where's your backup center? Who cares we're cutting down into initial fifty three?
Speaker 10: Do you think hold on? Did you see to anybody that emerges your backup center?
Speaker 5: Is there anybody who's like you don't want to let Hoffman get out there?
Speaker 10: They'll find a backup center. What are we doing here?
Speaker 5: Like there's not there's not like eight, nine, ten guys on the offensive line that you're just like, man, we can't let.
Speaker 10: Him out of the room. Yeah you can't. Okay, you say so.
Speaker 2: There's probably six guys total that if if you put if you put them on on waivers, they wouldn't stick around.
Speaker 4: The rest of the offensive line is going to make it right through? What TJ? Bass? Is an interesting question? Bass or only ye? Yes? That completes the seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he would not read waivers with no y. He's put up And I have asked on mind too. I just didn't know if you guys have agree with I know I actually I do.
Speaker 4: I think I think eight and nine. I think Hornio has been around, but I don't think he had a good preseason.
Speaker 2: So thumbs up, her thumbs down on these three guys. Farnaac, I would keep Farne. I think he's as you.
Speaker 9: Have another guy that you can grab, I would say yes, unless there's somebody else that you can just go say all right.
Speaker 2: I'll label Matt Farniac as an expendable retention.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have to be the guy, but he's a guy, and you've got him in the building, you might as well keep him Baday, it was on the fifty three man roster.
Speaker 7: If we have to pick fifty three from this list, then I'm taking Farno.
Speaker 2: Yes, from this list. We're not trading anybody just yet. I wish we could, but that'd be fun. Brock Coffin yes or no?
Speaker 4: No? No, no? Done?
Speaker 2: Okay, So TJ Bass yes, yes, Alec Linstrom no no.
Speaker 4: So right now we've got nine offensive linemen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got the five starters, Matt Farniac split on well, let's go split on Awesome Richards and TJ. Bass, two rookies that you feel pretty good about the way that they performed in the preseason. So nine offensive linemen up front, So that gives us a grand total of nineteen on the offensive.
Speaker 4: Of the football.
Speaker 10: Uh, let's just do the three special teams right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, three special steamers. Boom, there you go. There's there's special there.
Speaker 10: I will stay with that.
Speaker 5: I don't know one hundred percent of this, but I do think that there's a chance that they can do.
Speaker 4: Some of that.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, where like snapper, Yeah, and he's still going to be your long snapper. So but I would stay just for our thing. I would just stay three there. Okay, So we've done that in the past.
Speaker 4: Like CJ.
Speaker 5: Go wins another one, like I could see CJ. Gowin not being in the fifty three. I can see CJ. Gobwin also being active Sunday night against the Giants.
Speaker 4: You know, so it's true? Uh?
Speaker 2: Okay, So nineteen offensive players, three special teamers. We've got twenty two roster spots taken up. Let's take our second break. When we come back, we'll do the defensive side of the football, starting with the defensive line.
Speaker 4: We've gone light on a couple of positions already.
Speaker 2: Does that allow us to keep some of these talented defenders when we come back?
Speaker 12: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 14: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash fig for you for details.
Speaker 16: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Riflecoffee dot com. To fuel up today.
Speaker 2: Once he uses the cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys. The Jack Black playmaker Tim Bucks free Shipping.
Speaker 11: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 10: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 4: My friend supported me during a tough time. But what's the right gift that says thanks for.
Speaker 11: Being a soldier?
Speaker 5: To cry out?
Speaker 11: Okay, this one's easy. I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 11: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This segment is brought to you by in Visiligne, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome back into our Talking Cowboys fifty three man roster special with Isaiah Stanback, John Matchoda, Nick Harris. I'm Kyle Yeomans, our fellow GMS building this roster. I misspoke in the first segment. We have twenty four offensive players three special teamers, so we have twenty seven roster spots accounted for at the moment. We kept three quarterbacks, three running backs, five wide receivers with a possible sixth, four tight ends, and nine offensive linemen, and then of course you keep your three guys. Everybody very quickly feel good about Brandon Aubrey and what he showed on Saturday. I thought it was impressive in my own right. I think he's earned at least a shot, yeah, to earn it full time.
Speaker 6: I'll say this, and I wrote about it as soon as the game ended. He's earned the right to be on that flight to New York. As far as anything further than that, I think, you know, you really reevaluate during the bye week to see if you can keep him throughout the season. But I think the trial run needs to continue into the year. I think he's showed too much good stuff to dump on him this early, and hitting a fifty nine yarders certainly helps. But I was even writing that beforehand, So yeah, I want I want to see him continue to get those opportunities very much.
Speaker 4: So agree on that one.
Speaker 5: Okay, hold on, I I hate the national TV shows, where very rarely I shouldn't say album, because there definitely some times when Gus will come back and point out when they were wrong. So I can't rip the Brandon Aubrey thing because I'm the guy that wanted them to draft Jake Moody, Cady York. Moody's hurt, Cad York doesn't look that great, so and those would have taken, you know, notable picks to get one of those guys. If this doesn't work out, you didn't really give up anything, you know, you just signed Brandon Aubrey. And so the first after the first fifty nine yarder, it was so bad that I was like, oh, I don't know. But then the second one, I was kind of like, all right, and then maybe maybe he's got it in him. But like that first one the way kind of like knuckleball all the way to the left, I'm.
Speaker 17: Like, yeah, but it went like sixty four again had a distance switch, which is interesting because I've I've felt throughout training camp in preseason they've almost been like trying to protect him from kicking long kicks.
Speaker 10: And so when they bought him out.
Speaker 5: There for two different fifty nine yards, they clearly believe he has the lake. So yeah, I'm flying with that.
Speaker 4: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 2: So I do like that, keeping it, keeping an accountable John across the table.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I like to point out and I'm an idiot.
Speaker 4: Same here. Honestly, it happens pretty often, all right.
Speaker 2: Defensive line this is where things also can get interesting because it's a different conversation than offensive line and the fact that it's too deep to.
Speaker 4: Really limit it. So let's start with the starters.
Speaker 2: DeMarcus Lawrence, Jonathan Hankins, Os Digizu at Dorn's Armstrong. We're not counting Michael Parsons in this list. He's gonna stay with the linebacker guys. Okay, He's gonna stay with the linebackers. Right now, there are two different schools of completely different thoughts.
Speaker 4: Okay, completely different thoughts.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep them at linebacker, okay, and then I'm gonna go the second level. Sam Williams, Mazzie Smith, Dante Fowler and then are those all locks?
Speaker 4: We feel pretty good about those names that I just mentioned. Yeah, so that's seven. Here are some of the bubble guys.
Speaker 10: Did you say Billy on me?
Speaker 4: Fojoko?
Speaker 10: Have not he's on it?
Speaker 4: You think he's done? He's yeah. Isaiah seems to disagree.
Speaker 10: It has and has nothing to do with anything.
Speaker 4: He's going fourth round pick.
Speaker 5: It's the fourth round pick, and just the stuff I've heard about how high they were on him going in, I just do not think they will cut ties with him this early. And I to your point, the way Isaiah's looking at me, I'm telling you, I just would not be like.
Speaker 10: I think they're going to keep him. I think he's locked in.
Speaker 7: I think they're gonna be gunshy on John Richards.
Speaker 8: I think they're going to exactly.
Speaker 4: And that's a good point. That's what it is.
Speaker 8: The Ridgeway fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't letting you don't go too early last year.
Speaker 6: It goes to Mike McCarthy's point of not wanting to give up on guys too early, and that would be given up early.
Speaker 10: So what does that put. What's the numbers on there?
Speaker 2: So that would be eight currently, that leaves Neville Gallimore, Chauncey Golston, and Quentin Bohanna.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm I'm on with Nevill, Galli, Moore, And I know a lot of people argue that point, but I don't love anything that's going on beyond my starting defensive tackles. And I'm not sitting here saying devil Galimore is going to be a pro bowler, but I at least feel solid about him. So when you have him and mazi as kind of being your next two guys there. But now, of course they think that, you know, Chauncey and Fojoko can help a defensive tackle, I don't.
Speaker 10: I'm not as confident about that. So I keep Neville's.
Speaker 4: You're keeping Neville and cutting Quentin Bohanah, Yeah, yes, I am as well.
Speaker 8: I think I would agree with that.
Speaker 5: I don't know why you would need Mazzi, Hankins and Bohanna. Yes, a roster that they've everybody in the organization has talked about whole heart is going to be a cut down this fifty three. I just don't know how you would keep all three of those because they you're gonna have to go short somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Well, you think about it with Bohanna, when he was drafted in the sixth round, it was not a high pick.
Speaker 4: It was a sixth round pick out of Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was brought in to be the run stuffer, the big trash game full of dirt right in the middle of that defensive line.
Speaker 4: Now you've got two of those guys that actually have some game reps and success. I mean, of course, if you.
Speaker 5: Don't use it's not like I mean, the video is surfaced. It's not like it's it's that crazy to think that they don't go Mazzie Smith in the first round.
Speaker 10: Sure, they go the offensive lineman.
Speaker 5: And if that happens, maybe they don't draft a defensive tackle until the third, fourth, fifth round. Maybe you need Quentin Bohanna. But after you got Mazzie Smith, it was gonna make it.
Speaker 2: Tough completely completely. What about Chauncey Golston Here, this one's hard for me.
Speaker 4: This one's tough, is.
Speaker 7: What it is for me.
Speaker 6: If you want to take I love the I think you go a little bit light at defensive tackle to try to res try to retain mister number fifty three Isaiah land Ooh okay, okay, The fifty three stands for he's gonna be the fifty third man on the roster.
Speaker 10: Wow, interested, bubble guy.
Speaker 4: So we're sitting at one, two, three, four, eight.
Speaker 7: Not that would be ten. I believe if Mike.
Speaker 4: To keep Johncey would be would be ten.
Speaker 7: To keep it Land or Chauncey would be ten.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, because I'm not even looking at Yeah, okay.
Speaker 7: I'm open to trying to, you know, keep.
Speaker 2: So you're saying it's between Johncey Golson and Tyrus Wheat, I mean, excuse me and Isaiah Land.
Speaker 4: Those are your two guys. Correct? Who would you keep? In that instance?
Speaker 7: Zero one or two? You could keep none of them, one of them or both of them.
Speaker 9: I like Land a lot, but I don't I don't think that they can afford to try to keep another one of it for what he does for this team.
Speaker 2: Well, and keep it in mind that Chauncey Golston was a third round pick. That's another thing. A Day two pick and a top one hundred guy. If you're going to let him go, he will probably not pass through waivers because he has the high the high upside.
Speaker 4: Isaiah Land was.
Speaker 9: An undrafted free agent. I get it, he may slip through. I've watched three games though, and had the impact.
Speaker 2: So what are we doing? Are we cutting Chauncey Golston? Here's what's happened? I am okay.
Speaker 4: Oh man, that's hard for me.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I I don't give him too just because he's a third.
Speaker 8: I don't get a tout to that draft pick. Yeah, I just don't.
Speaker 10: As we go later, I am cutting a third so.
Speaker 4: You are Oh okay, there's some foreshadowing. Uh okay.
Speaker 2: So nine no, ten offensive linemen, I mean ten defensive line.
Speaker 10: The same draft class.
Speaker 4: I've got nine, same round.
Speaker 10: I mean we cutting both the third round picks.
Speaker 2: So we cut Naseean Wright. Should we just go ahead and go to the cornerback spot?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 5: I can totally see you guys disagree with me on that. I just it's just it's pretty heavy at that spot there. And if you're going to keep Eric Scott and some of these other guys, yeah, Calvin Joseph, like, I mean, it gets to be a numbers game. You keep Wan Yeah, Mark, Mark we spelled, blieve me. There's tons of guys that have stood out. But I mean you can't keep everybody, so but not I mean I will not be surprised that rights on the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stefan Killmore, Trayvon Diggs, Eric Scott, Deron Bland.
Speaker 4: You're pretty good about those.
Speaker 2: Er Scott ten with land or Golston with land Land? Yeah, just just because you you you fought for it. But I'll say Land slash Golston because I think I would flip lop. But I think I would keep Chauncey and I would take I would take.
Speaker 10: A Lance Overland's over Lance Lance.
Speaker 2: Over tree Lance Yeah, Land l A n D. Everybody listening, Uh corner real quick? So ten defensive lineman corner Stefan Gilmore, Trayvon Diggs, dron Bland.
Speaker 4: You're not keeping Eric Scott, I'm not. You're not.
Speaker 2: You didn't see enough from him. I did not six round pick. I mean they've expended six round picks before.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean they traded What did they trade to give them?
Speaker 4: They traded up to go get him.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 2: At the top of this, I think it was next year's fifth to go get him.
Speaker 5: Do you think that they can keep Scott and Nash right or do you think it's one or the other one another?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm keeping in that book.
Speaker 2: Then I think I would be too. Let's let's go, let's go back to the linebacker.
Speaker 5: I also think Calvin Joseph's on this team, by the way, about this, okay?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Uh, micah Leyton vander Esh Tabril Cox to Moan Clark Overshown's going to eye on are Devin Harper?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about Elie Jefferson. No, no, I agree, done done or I are we.
Speaker 5: I'm keeping seventeen safeties that hopefully some can play linebackers.
Speaker 10: I'm going Finett linebacker.
Speaker 8: I like Malie Jefferson a lot. I did too.
Speaker 4: He played well, he really did.
Speaker 9: You can't help getting injured. I mean, I'm not sure what the severity of his injury at this point.
Speaker 7: I think the saving grace for Malik is special teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, solid on special team.
Speaker 6: It depends who they want to fill that over shown slash slu Gifford role. And if it's Jefferson Jefferson, if it's lip Key, it's lip key. If it's you know, that's the.
Speaker 8: Thing, Like, that's that's a whole other topic. Maybe we could talk about that on Wednesday. But yeah, I think I think that's one of a Thomas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, nobody he's talking about that.
Speaker 8: Everybody's talking about Marque's bill.
Speaker 2: I'm like, one of is bigger, Yeah he is, and more aggressive he plays downhill. Uh, Devin Harper the fifth one there? So are you keeping he keeping five linebackers?
Speaker 10: Keeping four? Because I don't think Michael Parson is a linebacker.
Speaker 4: But yes, Okay, that's fair.
Speaker 2: I understandably, we're just using it as a as as ah.
Speaker 10: We're in a safe space here.
Speaker 9: Originally I had numbers game. Originally I had ten D linemen including Michael Parsons, which I have Now I have nine D linemen.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you guys are we're going to go to ten?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and then we've got the five linebackers including Michael Parsons. Right, safety safeties because I'm still corner's got a lot of questions for me.
Speaker 4: Safeties, j Ron Donovan Malik. There's your three. Who are you keeping.
Speaker 8: Marcus bill Oney, Thomas Israel McCormack.
Speaker 4: You're keeping six safeties. Yep, you're keeping six safeties.
Speaker 8: You use them as a lineback when.
Speaker 10: You when over shown went down.
Speaker 5: I bumped up the hold up when overshown went down, and they didn't immediately try and add a linebacker.
Speaker 8: That was Tilly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because honestly, going back to the sixth receiver thing or not keeping six, if they need a six receiver, they'll go get a t Y Hilton type guy.
Speaker 10: During the season.
Speaker 5: If it gets to that level where someone's getting hurt or something like that, they're not going to be like, oh, man, we only kept five. We could really use this receiver, right, They'll go out and get another receiver if they need to.
Speaker 6: If you're if you're taking six safeties, you would have to trust one of those guys to step in and play nickel or corner at some point, which which is fine. Yeah, because when it comes to actual corners, you only have five spots there.
Speaker 8: That's why I didn't carry ten d linemen.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And if we're keeping six safeties.
Speaker 8: At six safety, six corners on my list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're keeping six safeties, then that leaves us there five spots for corner.
Speaker 6: Then you cut Lander Golston if you feel too good about I feel too good about the pass road.
Speaker 8: I can't see as a lamb being there.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: So you would go down to nine defensive linemen ten if you want to include Micah, and you.
Speaker 4: Would give you would give six spots.
Speaker 2: For six six corners, six safeties, six corners man twelve on the secondary.
Speaker 4: That's fair. I get it how dan Quinn uses his defense. That's that's fair.
Speaker 9: You're light, he's you're you got four down linemen, you got two linebackers. You always got six six d's on the field.
Speaker 4: Okay, where does ce J. Goodwin fit into that mix?
Speaker 8: He's on a specialist?
Speaker 2: There no three specialists is punter, kicker, and holder? So do you keep a spot for c J.
Speaker 4: Goodwin?
Speaker 2: Feels like every year they find a way to do so they'll figure it out. So he's still here, is what you're you're saying. So there's one, you got five spots, Gilmour Bland digs for sure, there's your your three.
Speaker 4: Now you're down to two.
Speaker 7: That's one, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Or two? Two? Yeah? Two spots from there?
Speaker 7: Eric Scott, Kelvin Joseph right, pick two?
Speaker 9: Pick two out of those guys. Okay, and what was the other one?
Speaker 4: Eric Scott?
Speaker 7: Eric Scott or Calvin.
Speaker 8: Eric Scott?
Speaker 5: So you are going to just watch him telling you Calvin Joseph is gonna make this team?
Speaker 4: Just what I get. I get the thought process, I really do.
Speaker 2: But if you were making the decision, John, but you think he will make the team. Yeah, so that's does that mean it's tough for Eric Scott to make it?
Speaker 10: No, I got I got right off the team?
Speaker 4: Oh you okay?
Speaker 5: So out of gas you're saying, if I'm picking it, Yeah, yeah, I'm keeping right over Kelvin Joseph, I'm saying I don't think they they would. I think if it came down to those two, I think they would keep.
Speaker 2: Telling I think I agree with you absolutely completely, I think, but I'm keeping. If I'm doing GM work here, I would keep nay Sean Wright and Eric Scott, but I don't think they'll do that.
Speaker 5: I'm over here looking at why you as a problem, But I wanted to look up the twenty eighteen roster because I feel like that's probably when just the fact that they're we're keeping six safeties. Eighteen they had like Jeff Heath, Xavier Woods, I mean, Barry Church was even around anymore. No, I mean it was just so thin at safety and didn't think that we're at this point now we're keeping six. Of course, it's like like Isaiah said, though, it's because it's because of Dan Quinn, you know, and the way he plays defense or the way he schemes up his defense.
Speaker 10: That's why you keep those.
Speaker 5: That's way I almost look at it, is like you can't just look at it as these are just safeties. It's because it's like this linebacker safety hybrid type things right right.
Speaker 2: Position who would have thought going into this train in camp that we would go short at wide receiver and shorter that defensive line than we originally.
Speaker 5: I would win shorter at wide receiver. If I didn't get this, this quarterback thrown in my.
Speaker 4: Laugh lest right, Yeah, it threw a wrench into it. But there's got to make a change.
Speaker 5: I guess you know a lot of people listening to this would be would probably disagree with me on Neville Gallimore.
Speaker 10: I think there's a lot of people that think that they'll move on from him.
Speaker 4: I don't disagree by the way. I think he's on the team.
Speaker 10: And then who is the other one, Kevin Joseph, Yeah, Kelvin Joseph, So yeah, and I have no argument.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's what's so interesting about I mean, those guys are all bubble guys that I have no problem sitting here saying that I have a difficult time picking some of these bottom four or five guys from the roster, when no other time that I've covered the team have I heard as much from the coaches in the front office talk about how difficult to me cut this down. So this is their full time job what they do. Three sixty five and they're having a hard time with it. I'm just fine with me having a hard time with it.
Speaker 2: So Beamer, if you could take my camera real quick, if you want, I'm going to show you just a visual representation of what we kept.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Beamer is able to thank you keep.
Speaker 10: One of the tourch cameras we got out.
Speaker 4: I don't know which one we get to.
Speaker 10: Are we gonna get to that one right there?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you hold it, you hold it up there.
Speaker 2: But you've got you've got the visual representation of what the Cowboys are going to take in terms of the roster.
Speaker 4: This is working your seat twenty four. You got the one shot on your seat. Oh yeah, there you go. There it is so we can do it right there.
Speaker 2: So, uh, three quarterbacks, three running backs, five wide receivers, four tight ends, nine offensive linemen to go to twenty four offensive players, nine defensive linemen, five linebackers, six corners, six safeties, three special teams, so twenty six on defense and three on special teams and those.
Speaker 4: That's uh, the visual representation of how we.
Speaker 10: Built headmanship there from you, No thank you.
Speaker 2: I've been working on the shows to use this for sheet got to got to be able to work on it a little bit.
Speaker 7: I just used the roster that we got the press.
Speaker 2: Actually I did the same thing, but I did it on on on photo shop to get it to make it happen. All Right, that does it for us. You're on Talking Cowboys. We will be back at ten am Central time on Wednesday. We'll continue to look at what happens with the actual roster cuts.
Speaker 4: Now that we've we've played the.
Speaker 2: Games ourselves, we'll see just how close we were, and of course we'll.
Speaker 4: React to it.
Speaker 6: Actually, we might not be here at ten am on Wednesday's.
Speaker 7: Keep an eye on flexibility if you are trying to.
Speaker 5: Do earlier practice this week so they can actually get outside when it's not one hundred and twelve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't blame them, I really don't.
Speaker 8: All right, it's not getting over one hundred.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know it's not.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know that. That just I heard in the nineties.
Speaker 4: This week, maybe I just had a sweatter weather.
Speaker 10: Playing for a while. Was to have a couple of morning practices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they want to get out on the ground, get out out there, natural grass.
Speaker 10: Gosh, Isaiah, Isaiah's never been more disappointed.
Speaker 4: To watching the heat waves in the stretch. Buddy, all right, that doesn't for us.
Speaker 2: For Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the back, we've got John Machoda, Nick Harris, and Kyle Yemens. We'll see at some point on Wednesday, but we'll be here with promise on talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.