Speaker 1: This is live Coveragehop the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and prought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred, or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power Move Independence health System expert Care here Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Caliente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Our number two from Saint Vincent College here on the Drive Steelers Nation Ready on the Steelers Audio Networks Shouler and Matt Williamson, we are with you until six o'clock. Of course, nine hours of live coverage every single day here on campus, all part of art ongoing training camp coverage. Because you know that no one's got you covered out here in Latrope like we do on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold how many times can I say covered in one sentence, Matt, We've got the Hall of Fame game tonight before we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know we mentioned it. That's want to make sure we don't forget our buddy Dale.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm glad that you reminded me.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is really cool, A.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool honor for Dale in terms of something that was very near and dear to his heart. Pony League is the correct name for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can actually read.
Speaker 2: I can read it right now on because there's like the Little League and then there's the Pony League, but it's one of the major youth baseball organizations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was very, very involved with the Pony World Series, which takes place in Washington County. Right. I think he started doing it when his son, who was an excellent baseball player, was in the Ponies, and then he just kept coaching catch coke joaching involved, helped pick the teams, all those type of things. So this year's Washington County World Series jerseys proudly feature the initials F D L in honor of people probably don't know this.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say it's something that he wasn't crazy about.
Speaker 3: There, right, because it's not even on there. His first name starts with an F, and Dale is actually his middle name, So like Rob calls him Forrest FDL Lawley, but his first name was Forrest and he wasn't big on that. So but there are gonna be fdl's on the the World Series jerseys for the Pony League. So that's really cool, very cool in a and they're like prominently displayed. I mean they're right over you know, right right down the middle there. So he did a ton for him.
Speaker 4: He sure did.
Speaker 2: And I think anybody who listened to this show over the years right knew how much Dale loved baseball, how much that was his.
Speaker 3: First love was baseball and basketball were his things. Absolutely absolutely stumbled into the Steelers beat. I guess the observer guy retired like they want this, and he's like, I guess I'll handle it. Yeah, he did that and outdoors and boom. It was a good deal for him.
Speaker 2: Sure was was a big A's fan growing up. Yeah, and just loved baseball, like you said, Even after his sons moved on, he devoted a ton of time coaching in those pony leagues. It was something he had a real passion for. They unveiled a memorial bench for him at the field. That was I think earlier in the summer, right yep, And then yeah, today getting word that Washington County's World Series jerseys proudly featured the initials FDL in honor of the late F.
Speaker 4: Dale Lawley.
Speaker 2: Dale was a longtime member of the Washington Youth Baseball Council, serving for many years as Pony President. He played a pivotal role in the creation of the Founders League, the county wide league from which the Washington County World Series team is selected. A respected sports journalist, Dale spent the majority of his career covering the Pittsburgh Steelers, earning the admiration of colleagues and readers alike. He passed away shortly after the twenty twenty five Pony League World Series, but his passion for youth baseball and unwavering dedication to the Washington County baseball community continues to leave a lasting legacy. Very cool, very cool, and well and well deserved. And yeah, we had said that, we wanted to mention that.
Speaker 3: And there were many times we were like on the air and his phone to be blowing up because they'd be like we don't know any catchers equipment at this or like nobody lined the fields and blow or of an umpire. You know.
Speaker 2: I remember the early, you know, my first year or two with the company, when I was still doing a lot of producing stuff, and I would produce you and Dale fairly fairly regularly on the drive, and there'd be a lot of times where you know, that's six o'clock time would hit for the last segment and he'd be like cooking it out the door because he's like, I gotta make it the practice and yeah, forty five minutes, you know or whatever. Yeah, it was something he had a real passion for. And again, anyone who who listened to him over the years, I think that was pretty evident in a well deserved honor.
Speaker 3: I always think about it in this time of year two, Like many times, even just him and I sitting at Sharky's watching baseball, usually the Pirates, and I was always out of the loop, and the Pirates were very good, and you know, he was super into it, and he'd always be like, how do you miss that cut of all the fundamental stuff used to make him crazy, you know, like, yes, you gotta hit that cutoff, guy or why are you in this position? Or bunt the dude over, you know, blah blah blah, like managing through it. And I was learned a lot from him, but real, real quick note, hope this isn't too out of line. But he took pride in it. But the day he got his vasectomy, he pitched batting practice.
Speaker 4: Oh jeez.
Speaker 3: And he's like, I didn't plan on it, but we had nobody to do it, and so sucked it up.
Speaker 4: That's the least surprising thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think you're making that up.
Speaker 4: I know I don't. I don't either. And if there was anybody who would do it, it.
Speaker 3: Was Dale Line drive up the middle.
Speaker 4: Oh, that guy was just you used to you said this. He was a bulldog.
Speaker 2: He just nothing could get his way of accomplishing what needed accomplished.
Speaker 3: Throughout the day, I think somebody canceled and he's like, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Whether whether it was his job with the Steelers and covering the team from beat side, whether it was this, whether it was his his passion for for for youth baseball.
Speaker 4: If Dale wanted to do it, he was getting it done.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Nothing nothing was getting in his way. And yeah, very very cool and richly deserved honor for him and for his family.
Speaker 3: That was shocked to see that this morning, his wife put it on Facebook.
Speaker 4: You and I both saw that.
Speaker 2: It was like what we first said to each other when we when we walked in here today. And I'm glad you reminded me too, to make sure that we mentioned that.
Speaker 4: Matt.
Speaker 2: I guess there's no real easy way to transition out of that, but maybe the one way to transition out of it is is something that Dale had the honor of doing a couple of times, was, of course, being the Steelers representative who gets to go to Canton. For those who are unfamiliar, this is how this works. When a player is up for induction into the Hall of Fame, someone someone has to represent you, and it's it's someone from your city's media landscape, like.
Speaker 3: I just found out the other night that Jerry Dulac is now in charge. Edett did it, did it forever, and Dale did it. I think I don't know why Ed couldn't do it a couple of years, but Dale had that honor help get Troy in.
Speaker 4: And help get Troy in, and I think Fanic as well too.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe while Dale was involved there, Matt, we do know that obviously with the Hall of Fame game tonight, there's a new class going in this weekend and.
Speaker 3: Super super quick. Yeah, I'm sure that's a fine system, but there has to be a better one. But like, like this will definitely hurt Antonio Brown, Like, who's going to stand on the table for him?
Speaker 2: I think that's the reason that someone like t O had to wait to get that. That's he's going to stand on the table for him.
Speaker 3: Because not to mention like t O's last eight years were like Philly since he you know, like if you move around a lot, I don't think that helps your cause. Nowadays, certainly the guy better be pretty passionate to get you in, unless you're Aaron Donald or Mahomes or you cut right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I imagine Dale didn't have to do a ton of.
Speaker 2: Heavy lifting to get Troy Paula Mallow into But they're not all that easy. They're not all slam dunks.
Speaker 3: Like oh, I used to bust his stones. We're talking about Dalel Stones.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, justin make that the title of this hour on the podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you got Troy and okay, you know that's really not that hard, dude, but you were. I think I think it took him two tries to get fanick at him. Yes, come on, man, right, exactly right right, I can get t get Troy.
Speaker 4: Matt with that.
Speaker 2: Of course everyone has started to you know, uh, this weekend's class, Drew Brees, Roger Clegg, Craig, Larry Fitzgerald, Luke Keigley, Adam Vineri.
Speaker 3: Everyone has started reminds me of the too everything.
Speaker 4: Everything's coming up bail today.
Speaker 2: He would have been literally about a kicker getting in the other guys I think pretty deserving though, certainly Breeze Breeze Fits and Keikley.
Speaker 3: That's a heck, they're easy one.
Speaker 4: That's a heck of a trio right there.
Speaker 3: Years criminal with that.
Speaker 2: Matt predictions on NFL dot Com of who will be next year twenty seven.
Speaker 3: That's a real good class. Let's go through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's who they have as their five. Willie Anderson, offensive tackle for the Bengals and the Ravens.
Speaker 3: He's been looming for a really long time. I think he's going to be all over.
Speaker 2: Five to straight years as a finalist, So next year would be six. Rob Gronkowski tight end.
Speaker 3: Better not wait him, better not make him wait.
Speaker 4: Tory Holt wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Of course, he's another one seven years in a rows of final, isn't. No.
Speaker 3: I always thought he was better than Isaac Bruce, and Bruce is in and he isn't.
Speaker 4: I think you can certainly make that argue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they were closed.
Speaker 4: Fourth Adrian Peterson.
Speaker 3: I think he's a slam This is maybe a first time or like Gronk.
Speaker 4: Yep and fifth Jason Witten tight end.
Speaker 3: I was thinking this class was better than that. I thought there was another big quarterback that.
Speaker 2: Was well there is. His name is Benjamin Todd Roethlisberger. But NFL dot Com is predicting that he's going to have to wait a year.
Speaker 4: Come on, I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: Come on, man.
Speaker 2: Other notable candidates Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Jarry Evans, Frank Gore, Richard Sherman, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Darren, Woodson, Marshall.
Speaker 3: Yonda, Ben's got to go, Ben Peterson and Gronk to me or I think just right right right locks. I think Gronk's the best tight end ever lived.
Speaker 2: I think Gronk, out of those ones, is probably the because you're right, you can make it, and I guess you could for Adrian Peterson too, but not to the extent of Gronk.
Speaker 4: Of being the best position.
Speaker 3: Like one always talks about, Jerry Rice is easily of all those arguments, at every position, the easiest number one is Rice. Okay, I think it's Gronk. I mean it might be I mean Randy Moss. Randy Moss, Yeah, I mean knowing in the combination of size and big, playability and receiving, and it's hard to play against his Gronk.
Speaker 4: Same as Randy kind of right in that reguard.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know Rice's resume is ridiculous, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: If you just look at the resume on paper without kind of the video element to accompany it, it's it's Jerry Rice, right, My goodness, No one ever looked and moved and performed like Randy Moss, and I think you could say the same thing about Gronk, right. I also think it'd be kind of surprising to have two tight ends in the same class when there's not a ton of those guys who go in like predicting Gronk and Witten, So that might help Ben that might help Ben, But what if there's also the whole like, oh, we're gonna get Eli Manning in there, and now he's in his third year. Should we make Ben wait and get Eli in there? It's again all the politics behind the scenes of this.
Speaker 3: And I don't mean to speak for Jerry Well, I guess he said it on the air too. He said they're really hard on first year guys, you know, like for keik Ley to wait a year, Antonio Gates had to wait a year two years before they might make Ben do it.
Speaker 4: They might.
Speaker 3: I just think that's so dumb. What's the five best guys in?
Speaker 4: I'm with you in that as soon as.
Speaker 3: They can, whoever's five. But that shouldn't let not like the cheapens Witt and getting in. But if he gets in because they think Ben needs to wait a year, what are we doing here? You know, it's insane to me.
Speaker 2: And I also listen. You can say I'm a Homer, you can say I'm wearing my black and gold classes, and you're probably correct. But I just of the Ben.
Speaker 3: I think you could ask guys that do Bengals radio or Bears radio right now, that's say the same thing.
Speaker 2: Of the Ben Eli Rivers trio, and now obviously Philip Rivers has reset his clock and it's gonna.
Speaker 4: Have to wait a while. I think I think Ben's the clear first guy there.
Speaker 3: See. I think Ben's a clear yes. Eli is a clear no, and I think he'll go yeah. And I think Rivers is about his borderline as a quarterback should be. And I would probably lean towards voting yes for him, depending who the other. You got to keep somebody off if you.
Speaker 2: Eli is gonna be such an interesting case because I don't think he deserves it.
Speaker 4: I don't really either.
Speaker 2: But I also it's like I always tell you when we have these conversations, I go back to like the museum, the history of the sport, and it's really hard to tell, you know, the era or the story I should say of this past era of football without mentioning Eli and a couple of really big moments. But those were also the only two years of his career that he won playoff games. For those two years that the Giants won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: And I never would have had him as a top six quarterback in the league at any point of his career. Now, there were other good ones, but there always are other good ones, you know, like Ben was always a top six quarterback to me, Eli never was.
Speaker 2: And those are the hairs you're splitting when you have these conversations. I think I think I would swap out either either Willie Anderson or Jason Witten to me.
Speaker 3: I probably talked to Anderson to death, and I know some after a while you wear voters down. But he's been eligible forever. I mean, he was a good player when I was a kid.
Speaker 4: He retired in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know whereas you know a lot of these, I mean, I guess that's kind of the same matory Holt. He retired in two thousand and nine exactly, whereas you know Peterson and.
Speaker 3: Cronk Yeah, yeah, yeah twenty one.
Speaker 2: Witten retired in twenty so this would be his second year of potential of potential eligibility.
Speaker 3: I think when we did this one year ago, or even when the finalists came around, Witton would have gotten in this year for me, because vine Terry definitely wouldn't have. I could promise you that.
Speaker 2: But then they probably looked at that and they were like, Jason Witten's not a first ballot tight end. Yeah, he's Hall of Fame, but he can't be first ballot. And I'll put my hand up. I'm guilty of that stuff too, sometimes putting too much stock into that. But if you're a Hall of Famer, you're a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: As much as I love giving all my Philly people grief that Troy was first ballot, Edward was first ballot, and Dawkins was not, They're all Hall of Famers, hall of famers right at the end of the day, I mean, but I really hope.
Speaker 3: This time next year we're not sitting there going Hall of Fame Game night, and Ben's not going in this weekend, like what do we do?
Speaker 4: Same here?
Speaker 2: But also at the same time, Matt though, that might mean that the Steelers are in the Hall of Fame game next year, which means an extra preseason game, which.
Speaker 3: Would probably be broadcasting from Campada, which.
Speaker 4: Means trading camp I think would open a week earlier. Yeah, so it would shorten our summer alone.
Speaker 3: And I went up last time a Steeler got in, was that Troy? No, it's Fanica.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'd have to be there for the game to do the broadcast.
Speaker 4: Stuff.
Speaker 3: That's true too, So oh that could that's.
Speaker 4: The one bright side though, I could add another stadium.
Speaker 2: To my ah yeah, yeah, Canton Memorial or whatever it's whatever, whatever it's called there where the Hall of Fame game is held every single year.
Speaker 3: But that was just a cool spot. Yeah, I've been the Hall of Fame in a while. I used to go a lot.
Speaker 2: I think the last time I was was probably twenty years. I was probably fifteen or sixteen, but I been probably twenty years since i've been. I think I told you that story before. But my dad and I when I was growing up in like high school in middle school, we did this in over the course of like three or four years, or every summer, we'd take a few days and we'd hit a Hall of Fame in an amusement park. Yeah, so like we'd go to we'd go to Canton on a Saturday and then Cedar Point on a Sunday.
Speaker 4: And come home Monday type of thing, you know.
Speaker 2: And so, yeah, I've been to all of the Hall of Fames, but it's been a long been a long time since i've uh, since I've been to any of them. Did go to the College Football Hall of Fame a couple years ago when we were down in Atlanta for a for a preseason game, but that's the only one I've been to recently.
Speaker 3: First time I ever went, I was like fourteen, and my aunt's husband at the time drove an eighteen wheeler for Giant Eagle and had that area and I didn't know. He's like, come with me, you know, you we'll go. I'll show you what truck driving's like all day. And we're driving. I'm like, kind of boring, but this is it. Huh oh yeah, I guess we just do this the whole time, and you know, we get there and unload the goods, and I guess if you're the driver, you don't unload the goods. I'm like, do we get to unload all this stuff? He's like, no, somebody touched that. We just we just drive. And then he took me the Hall of Fame after we were like half a day, and he like surprised me, like that was awesome.
Speaker 4: That's really cool.
Speaker 3: But the cooler story is when I was director of football opposite Achron we had to learn everything on the fly. Was recruiting season immediately, and we're like, what are we gonna do for official visits, you know, where we gonna take these people, We don't know even like the cool spots to hit. And it dawned on me this was actually all my ideas, Like there's a mile radius from campus that counts as a official visits where you can take guys for free, and the Hall of Fame was one of them.
Speaker 4: How far of a drive is that Canton to Acre.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know it's not ten minutes away.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say it's like twenty It's not far at all. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually just just because he went to Akron, he said, like twenty five minutes.
Speaker 3: In a lot of time. So what we would do is on the weekends after it closed, we would like get a catering service at the Hall of Fame. And it was like night at the museum. It was like our coaching staff was like and the busts would talk to you, you know what I mean. It was because there was no one else in the building except for the recruits, their families and our coaching staff, and we'd hang there till like ten at night. It was super cool.
Speaker 4: That would be I'll give you that. That would be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, oh, there's Joe Green Spots. Yeah right, and he's talking.
Speaker 4: He's going the Cleveland Brown still haven't won anything.
Speaker 3: Franco's like, I didn't catch the ammagicalate reception. Don't tell anybody, no that, No, that didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, Louis Lips was on campus earlier today. It was pretty cool to see a guy from that kind of similar, similar era. Not quite as bad as far as Franco, but yeah, no, that's that's pretty cool. The busts talk to each other, isn't that. John Madden used to say that, right, It wasn't a Madgin say.
Speaker 3: Something like that. Yeah, it was a cool environment just being nobody there. But you you know, like wow, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like you got the whole place to yourself. Stretch out a little bit there, certainly. But yeah, So we'll obviously be keeping on all of the moving and keeping an eye on all the moving and shaking in Canton tonight, and looking ahead obviously to hoping to see another Pittsburgh Steeler number seven inducted in that class of twenty twenty seven. West Uler Matt Williamson. It is the Drive all Live from Saint Vincent College part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donze Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com, guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale, and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is his hospitality.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here on another beautiful, gorgeous day in western Pennsylvania, here in Latrobe. You know, I was told, I forget who who is the one who told me this had it was one of the real journals, you know, one of the one of the real reporters out here. It might have been Kobali or dou Lac, or maybe it was Alan Saunders, one of those guys. I'm drawn a blank now, but they told us, they were like, you know, if you want to be proper it's not Latrobe. It's Unity Township, right because we're technically, oh, we are right in between. I guess the limits to use the term of between Greensburg and Latrobe. So this is technically Unity Township.
Speaker 3: But do you think like the address like these students when they get mail.
Speaker 4: It's a good question.
Speaker 3: It does not. You don't put Latrobe PA on there.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I can find out for you here real quick. It looks like the address of campus is Latrobe.
Speaker 4: Pay but I don't know.
Speaker 3: Then I think I'm in Latrobe.
Speaker 2: So it's in Unity Township with a Latrobe Post office address.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's wrong with that.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Listen.
Speaker 2: I'm just so you know, like the real journals were telling me that we are technical.
Speaker 3: If the FABO told me that, I would listen. But no, and I say that because he's from La Troup that's true.
Speaker 4: We'll have to ask.
Speaker 2: We'll have to ask our buddy, Mike the FABO, maybe later on if we see him this evening. Matt, you sent me a heck of a breakdown from from one of the analysts that we are very fond of Brandon Thorne and everything that he does with offensive line work, and he basically ranked like the best forty offensive linemen at every position in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: So he has his own substack, he has his own podcast, and I brought him up several times. I think he's clearly the eminent, a preeminent O line guy out there, but I guess Bleacher on the side. He also works for Bleacher Report, and like for their draft board, he does all the alignment and I guess Bleacher Report is like a bleached br one thousand or something like that, where they do this at every position. Okay, I'm going to look into the other ones because I have to trust the analysts for me to spend this much time, sure, and I trust Thorns. So I just stumbled upon this the other day, and the Steelers are interesting.
Speaker 4: On here pretty well represented.
Speaker 3: What got funny is he does not have a steel I mean like he had Like you said, there's like forty right tackles, forty left tackles. He has no right tackle or right guard because a Steeler.
Speaker 4: Because he moved Faltonu and McCormick to the left.
Speaker 3: And he has Cook, he's three left tackles. He lists Jones, Cook, and Fulton, who on the left tackle pile interesting and McCormick he moved to left guard, Anderson I don't know why he didn't write him up, but he doesn't have him involved, I assume because he was a six guy last year, and the right tackles he didn't put any rookies, so he doesn't have a haunted chore on it all. So I found that interesting. So you only find if you look this up, I retweeted it, you only find Steelers listed among centers, left guards, and left tackles. But there's still four or five of them total in this exercise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're hoping a year from now, two years from now, three years from now, a lot.
Speaker 4: Of those guys are on this list.
Speaker 3: The well, they're all going to be on because the bad Well that's true, because yes, exactly right. I think you had to play x amount of snaps or something for him to you know, break you out.
Speaker 2: But hopefully well represented like those three are Matt two of the Steelers offensive linemen in his top twenty five overall in the league. Zach Fraser Zach Fraser position top twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: He breaks it down by each position, then he breaks it down overall Big Board, you know, the all eligible full offensive line ranking. Okay, so he has and this is probably no surprise to you, he has Lane Johnson ranked as the number one offensive lineman in the national football still ninety five overall out of one hundred, still at this point in his career, and it's hard to argue.
Speaker 3: The O line geeks really are mesmerized by this guy because he does again it's a little over my analysis for O lineman. Just listen to them. He does things that leather O linemen have done from like a technique standpoint that he's kind of a revolutionary, like don't teach your kids to do this, you know, unless you're Lane Johnson.
Speaker 2: Yes, one of those guys who does it differently. But my goodness, is going to walk into the Hall of Fame. They've got him as a ninety five.
Speaker 3: Over the best right tackle ever.
Speaker 4: He's I think certainly in the conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Tristian Wurfs and Laramie Tunsel check in as left tackle one and two overall, two and three on the Big Board list, both as ninety four grades, and then Quentin Nelson and Creed Humphrey fourth and fifth, first respectively at their positions, with ninety three overall grades for those guys. Yeah, Matt Zach Fraser on this list pretty highly. Like I said, there's two Steelers in the top twenty five. Zach Fraser is listed as the twelfth best offensive lineman in the league and the second best center, only behind Creed Humphrey.
Speaker 3: I knew he was center two, but okay, that's pretty darn center two. Well, overall all positions.
Speaker 2: Gives him a eighty six out of one hundred grade.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's pretty impressive, it really is. I don't think that's off.
Speaker 2: I mean, hey, I didn't expect to see I expected to see him, you know, three or four on the center's list.
Speaker 4: Hey, but I'll take it. And then twelfth overall, I mean that's that's that's really that's very high.
Speaker 3: You're battling some tackles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rashaun Slater, Trey Smith, Garrett Bowles, Peter Skronsky, Aaron.
Speaker 4: Brewer, Joe Alt all behind him.
Speaker 2: All behind him, and then just in front of him, Joe Foony, Andrew Thomas, Tyler Smith. So I mean that's some that's some really good company. Here's the write up on on Zach Fraser followed an outstanding rookie season with another high end year in twenty twenty five, reinforcing his place amongst the league's top center. Rare, strength, leverage, and contact balance are the pillars of his game, giving Pittsburgh a tone setting presence at the pivot. Fraser already has the physical presence, processing and down to down ability of a top tier with enough remaining technical polish to keep climbing.
Speaker 3: See this to me just a side note on on Brandon Thorn. He has a similar right up to that length that paragraph for.
Speaker 2: All these guys, and I skipped a couple of it. I didn't even read the entire thing.
Speaker 3: And they read like true scouting reports, you know, like too many people if they do a write up on O line and they'll be like, he's big and strong and moves well, you know, like he really breaks down strengths and weaknesses and hand placement and angles and all the finer nuances of the position.
Speaker 2: I will add that for you. Thorn also says the next layer of Fraser's growth has come with cleaner processing and hand usage, when he has become more efficient sorting games, passing off movement, and staying square. Rather than turning early or opening soft edges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I can understand that too. He hasn't played a ton by you know, offensive center career standards, you know.
Speaker 2: So high praise for Zach Fraser, he's center number two. And then, like I said, Troy Futon, who also pretty well represent on this list, Matt He is ranked already despite us not really seeing him at the position in stadium as the tenth best left tackle in the NFL by Brandon Thorn, eighty grade overall for twenty fifth best offensive linemen in the league. Here's what Thorn has to say about Faltanu. Faltanu moved from left to right tackle as a rookie before a post Week one knee injury, and in his season, then return to twenty five to start all seventeen games while establishing himself as one of the league's better young tackles. Faltonu is an explosive, aggressive blocker with good length, high end movement skills in one of the league's best snatch trap techniques, allowing him to seal leverage and knock rushers off their feet when they are lean into him or lazy with their hands. His attacking style creates some volatility because he will take risks with heavy handed strikes and early commitments. The same temperament is central to his impact and pass protection. His quickness, recovery ability, and strike power keep him competitive even when timing is not perfect. And in the run game, he's effective on both the front and backside with the range to reach landmarks and the play personality to finish.
Speaker 3: Once attached, love it and a couple of things that jumped out to me. I just wanted to relate to the listeners here. It's been a while since he got drafted, so we even talked like arm length and things of that nature. So he's not six five and a half, he's not six six, but he's kind of the opposite of some of those s Goronsky tackles turned guards because they have short arms but they're tall, because he does have unusually long arms for someone who's a little over six' four from WHAT i remember in his combine And Brandon neil didn't explained it better THAN i. Could but not everyone pass protects the. Same some are just real patient and let you come to. Them some take the fight to, you And troy takes the fight to. You you, know he goes out of his way at.
Speaker 2: Times you could get caught doing, that, Right but, YEAH i think he's gonna win a lot more than he's gonna.
Speaker 3: Lose m.
Speaker 2: H and Then Matt mason, McCormick the other one as you, mentioned represented on this.
Speaker 3: List, yeah he does write up Cook In, Jones, yes.
Speaker 4: Down.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah McCormick ranked as the seventeenth best left guard and the ninetieth best overall offensive lineman in THE. Nfl he says he is not an overwhelming physical, talent but his active, hands quick, refits and excellent strain allow him to stay, attached die slowly when initially, beaten and prevent clean.
Speaker 3: Sheds let me stop you real, quick BECAUSE i love the term die, Slowly well that. Too but his, strain which means how long does he keep the fight? Going i'm gonna come hold on. On i'm, strained And i'm, straight And i'm, straight and Yeah i'm. Losing but you, know strained to me is like. Effort, yeah playing to the whistle and. Longer you, know that's a good. TERM i WISH i used that back on my scouting.
Speaker 2: Days McCormick displays enough play strength and movement ability to function across, concepts while his, leverage, toughness and hand activity make him more difficult to discard than his raw traits. Suggests the limitations show up against wider interior alignments and quick, movement where he can, drift redirect, late or be a tick slow to pick up. Loopers McCormick is a classic greater than the some of his part starter whose, technique, effort and consistency make him a net positive love. IT i think that's, fair, right, Right AND i tell you, What.
Speaker 3: And, guys scouting reports aren't. Kind there's probably a lot of people that have never of course are THERE a lot of listeners have never read a scouting report from a true, scout you, know whether it's a pro analysis like these or their college draft. Analysis much of them are boyd not as flattering as you. Think, like with all respect To dane and mel and the people that do, it And Daniel jeremiah that have even done it for teams.
Speaker 4: On a large.
Speaker 3: Scale, yeah if you're reading most of that stuff is. Good you, know when you're reading one behind the scenes that no one else reads except for the the entire, STAFF a lot of most of it is more negative than. POSITIVE i mean there's not Many Aaron donald's where you're, like, well we don't have a hard time come of thing bad about this guy or bijon.
Speaker 4: The five to player right to steal a baseball.
Speaker 3: Term so probably some people probably listened to their red that McCormick thing, Going, man that doesn't sound so. Great these, guys all these guys are, very very far from. Perfect and if you don't analyze to the nitty gritty that he Did thorne does, here you're not really doing your.
Speaker 4: JOB i think he does outstanding.
Speaker 2: Work he Has Dylan cooked ranked as the twenty eighth best left tackle And Roger jones as the thirty fourth best left, tackle both of those guys that had a Damn moore, junior by the, way just oddly.
Speaker 3: Enough and one ELSE i noticed was Seam alo was a couple of spots.
Speaker 4: Ahead and spots ahead of. McCormick, yeah, Yep but he had some.
Speaker 3: Good things to say About jones And cook. Too they weren't all. Negative they weren't like these guys can't play at. All you.
Speaker 2: Know he also had One Kevin dotson ranked pretty highly on this.
Speaker 3: List, yeah you can say whatever you, want but.
Speaker 4: Formerly of that pair's fourth best right guard in the.
Speaker 3: League that's one that got.
Speaker 4: Away that is that is that is the one that Got try to.
Speaker 3: Candy coat and be, like well he wasn't as good for The. Steeler he's really really good and he be nice if he was.
Speaker 4: Still around all, MAN i tell you, what you.
Speaker 3: Probably wouldn't have A. Coormick but you, know there's a butterfly effect all. That but when you draft the dude like thoughts in in the fourth, round he kind of that's one that got.
Speaker 4: Away wisuy would have been able to hang.
Speaker 2: Around, yeah let's take our last break here the four o'clock. Hour we've got some moving and shaking on the campus, here with of course the Legendary steelers.
Speaker 4: Grounds crew getting to work in front of.
Speaker 2: US i would imagine they have. Been, yeah they're always always after a, practice really doing due diligence on this first. Field the walk through THAT i believe will be taking place here in about twenty thirty minutes will be taking place on the farther fields down. There we'll see if if that is going on, TODAY i would imagine so any any potential coaches and players that might be trickling down here as we get closer and closer to the five o'clock, Hour jular And. Williamson it's The drive live At Saint. Vincent all part of our ongoing training camp Coverage Steelers Nation radio on The Steelers Audio.
Speaker 1: Network this is live coverage of the twenty twenty Six Steelers Training camp on The Steelers Audio, network presented by Bud, Light easy To, Drink easy To, enjoy and brought to you in part By Pennsylvania One Call Systems dial eight one one Before you DIG Snt Bank People Forward banking By Kalusy, chevrolet serving The pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight. Years Clearview Federal Credit. Union for every touchdown The black And Gold score in twenty twenty, Six clearview will donate five hundred dollars to The light Of Life MISSION LISIT clearviewfcu dot org and by Iron Workers Local union number.
Speaker 3: Three we don't go to the, Office we build.
Speaker 2: It down the home stretch here of our number. Two that means the bonus. Hour just on the other, side got some tweets rolling, in keep those coming if you had to get involved with the show At Wesley yuler At, WILLIAMSON. Nfl of, course in about two weeks from, now we will be back on YouTube and you'll be able to get involved in those YouTube comments as. Well missing our Guy TYLER.
Speaker 3: V i've seen haven't seen much of him since we've been out here. EITHER i see we do different things when we're.
Speaker 4: Here i've seen him in the cafeteria once or, twice but that's about.
Speaker 3: It mus not be in the, dorms try something do to. Too, yeah you'd be flowing around in that up.
Speaker 2: There we're all the Video we're all the video hive is set up up, There. MATT i did want to make sure to MENTION i forgot this earlier and we were talking about kind of news of the day and we did just mention him a few minutes. Ago Jonathan, taylor running back of The, colts two, year forty four million dollar extension earlier.
Speaker 3: Today, NO i, mean it's just under What bijon signed the day. Before gibbs is. LOOMING i think he was waiting for these two to get. Done you, know you kind of want to be that third. Guy they're they're probably the three most valuable running backs on the planet right, now when you talk about age in production and their level of. Play we don't need to get into. It BUT i had a fun discussion actually with my my Buddy peacock on our podcast today just talking about how immediately it was, like, boy running back salaries are really starting to. Inflate you, know they're going up really really. Rapidly but still you, know like The, falcons who The steelers' first, opponent recently re Signed Drake. London he's still making like twelve month, yeah like a million more Than. Bijon and then their their Guard, bergeron who's probably like sixteenth amongst you, know his right left Guard, yeah maybe twentieth On thorn's, list is making like the same. Contract, yeah it's. WILD i, mean Like bijeon to, Me i'm not taking any away from The taylor, conversation but he might be the second or third best football player in the world right, now Like Miles, garrett, Him Josh, allen like he's as good at his job as anyone on the. Planet and our conversation is kind of stemmed around like and it brings up A steeler. Thing if you asked The steelers defensive coordinator and head coach and everyone on the stat do you not want to? Play right If bijeon Or bergeron isn't going to play In week one Or, london maybe Even. London, yeah BUT i Mean london at least a. Star bergeron And bijon are making like the same. Contract it's, LIKE i definitely Want. Bijon i'm not going to sleep all week Because i'm Playing. Bijon bergeon doesn't play On. Miamy sure'll, no you know WHAT i, Mean like how do they make the same? Amount AND i understand the supplying the man and all that. Stuff, sure but the EXAMPLE i used was two years. Ago Remember saquon signs with The eagles from The giants and he goes on to have a historic, year which we didn't, know but we knew he was pretty darn good when he signed that. Contract you, say go, On. Barklay you know his contract was like identical to what like The Nammie brown signed to be the fourth wide receiver for the Jag it was too Two atwell's. Contract, Yeah it's, like what are we doing? HERE i, mean if you IF i, CAN i think he was one, year ten million to sign with The, Eagles, like shouldn't everyone given him ten million as opposed to a fourth wide? Receiver you would that's different than the conversation of using a first round pick on a. Guy, yes Because i'm not a big fan of using a first round pick on a running back because you can't get, tackles you, KNOW i, mean you don't want to be in the open. Market but when you have one AND i can Get saquon at that point for ten million a, year which is Like Calvin austin, money what are we? Doing it? Is it is like who changes a? Game?
Speaker 2: War and you know it hearkens back to it wasn't that long ago what met three four five years ago when there was that big running back summit that was do you remember when they said all that and talked about how to get paid more and what they should do.
Speaker 3: And because they also don't last.
Speaker 2: Long poor guys running backs on a zoom call. Together it is it's it's.
Speaker 3: It's spiked a. Lot but there's like twenty million dollar guys especially you should be ten was a.
Speaker 2: Ton even when you consider that, THOUGH i, mean that's like it's still The bijeon's making Like Michael pittman junior, money.
Speaker 3: RIGHT i mean right, RIGHT i mean he's making like number three receiver money or number TWO i Think Wandell robinson's making.
Speaker 4: More it's a weird, dynamic you.
Speaker 3: Know and and it's not like you can't get receivers in the. DRAFT i, mean you can get a really good number three in the third. Round you can't Give Jon robinson the third.
Speaker 4: Round, no you.
Speaker 2: CERTAINLY i mean there's there's a lot of. It there's, exceptions, obviously.
Speaker 3: Right but there's not many of, those especially when he's already established and he's twenty three years. Old, like is he worth twenty? Million, yeah he's worth twenty. MILLIONS i don't want to play against.
Speaker 4: Him it's almost, like, uh.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's the. Move is you just you spend money on the stud you, know like The chiefs did With, Walker LIKE i Think walker Was walker And Rashid shaheed basically got the same contract And seattle decided to give it to The shaheed instead Of, walker Who's saheed's, Fine But walker's one of the best backs in the league And shaheed's just A.
Speaker 2: AND i guess you AND i guess you look at it from that lens of you, know running backs can be a dime a. Dozen they're easier to. Replace BUT i don't think that. TRUE i don't think, though when it's that upper esh of running.
Speaker 3: Back right right. RIGHT i, mean no expense To Reco, dowdell But.
Speaker 2: Najie harris can be, Replaced rico Doubt, Ll Kenneth gainwell can be. Replaced B Jon robinson And Jamior gibbs are operating on a different.
Speaker 3: Level or McCaffrey in his. Prime, yeah WHEN i mean he's leading the league in yards from, scrimmage that's pretty. Important the whole goal here is to move the, football AND i give it to. HIM i move the.
Speaker 4: Football it's very because you're right.
Speaker 2: There for so, long there was that almost ongoing conversation every off season of, like is there a collusion against the running? Backs like that was a real conversation that people were having on THE espn talk shows when they're trying to kill time.
Speaker 3: And everyone's heard the running backs don't matter a. Conversation but IF i can get one for ten, million that's the tenth best player at his position in the.
Speaker 2: LEAGUE i love it when we say things like that. Too running backs don't.
Speaker 4: Matter? Really who was THE mvp of The Super bowl last?
Speaker 3: Year? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Really who carried The eagles to The Super bowl the year before?
Speaker 3: That and the other thing is, too and this is definitely, true is running backs are starting to matter more because you're seeing more too high lighter, boxes so you, know the running, game people running the ball more because of how defenses are being. Played and THUS i want to hand at The.
Speaker 2: Bejon that is that cyclical nature of football that we talk. At one side of the ball gets, heavier the other side gets, heavier one side gets, lighter the other side gets. Lighter one side starts airing it, out then you start running the. Football so maybe that is coming back to where it should be a little.
Speaker 3: Bit maybe even when you economics are weird Like bergeron And bijeon should not make the same amount of.
Speaker 4: Money, no they should not.
Speaker 2: Close And i've been racking my brain these last couple of, Minutes matt to think of like another sports. EXAMPLE i guess the only other example could be if pitchers in baseball were paid astronomically less because they're only out there once every five.
Speaker 4: Days but those TIMES.
Speaker 3: I don't have as long a careers.
Speaker 4: Either those top end pictures get.
Speaker 2: Paid Bank paul, skeins even its struggling this, year he's going to make up half a billion dollars when he's on the open.
Speaker 3: Market, YEAH i JUST i don't know the other sports well. Enough but man or like goalies underpaid in hockey.
Speaker 2: Or, No, NOW i would say that there's there's the same clear. Cut the top five percent of goalies make a lot.
Speaker 3: More they're doing really middle.
Speaker 2: Class, yeah but it's not like a huge gap with a center or a defenseman or a right wing or something like.
Speaker 4: THAT i, DON'T i don't. KNOW i don't know the. SPORT i, mean you've got now.
Speaker 2: It's obviously way, different but like you've got bench players in THE nba that are making twenty million dollars a. Year, yeah now they've got a huge salary cap for such a small roster.
Speaker 3: In a lot of, games and people to pay.
Speaker 4: Different different, conversation but you're, right it. Is.
Speaker 3: YEAH i think there's a lot of bad contracts in THE nba too that people.
Speaker 2: Regret, Absolutely but you it's not as damaging to your cap structure because you've only got fourteen or fifteen guys on your.
Speaker 3: Roster whatever it.
Speaker 4: Is that's A it's a really good, One.
Speaker 2: Matt that's another one of those kind of fun sitting around a barstool or a dinner table with your friends and family type, conversations BECAUSE i do think for the top, GUYS i think they've gotten back closer to where they should.
Speaker 3: Be the top guys have increased dramatically, lately.
Speaker 4: But it's probably it's still not.
Speaker 3: Bargain, YEAH i, mean If bijeon's one of the, TOP i will definitely stand on the table That Bjeon robinson's one of the best five football players on the. PLANET i firmly believe. THAT i, mean if you want to tell Me Miles garrett's, better Or parsons OR i, mean we could go through. Them but in terms of what he does for what he's asked to, DO i think he's the best on the planet at it and is better than almost anyone else at their respective.
Speaker 2: Position he's making about the same amount of money a year As Christian. Watson, Yeah Courtland, Sutton Chris, Godwin Jacoby, myers those are nice.
Speaker 4: Players BUT i, KNOW.
Speaker 3: I wonder what receiver contracts are. Similar there are a bunch of number, two's you, Know.
Speaker 4: Like, again those are all good players THAT i, Find.
Speaker 3: BUT i, mean CAN i get A Courtland sutton replacement in the second?
Speaker 2: ROUND i think to find a court In suttlond replacement a lot easier than you could find A Jeon robinson, replacement, right.
Speaker 3: Because there's only three of them on the, planet are even, close you, Know and there's not like the league does and.
Speaker 4: Put out, Receivers, no they, do or the draft.
Speaker 3: Doesn't put out. Receivers there's always plenty to pick. From and the league is running the ball more and playing with fewer receivers because people are playing with extra tight. End, right so the third you, know third receiver on a team isn't as much of a starter as he was two years. Ago, Even, yeah that's. Weird it's very. Weird and, frankly bring it back to The. STEELERS i Think omar is really good this with his cap mont with his cap mind to be, like, ooh this is the this. ERA i should buy in the running backs or. Tackle these tackles are cheap or whatever it, is you, know like you never want to go shopping for offensive. Tackles it's the worst thing. Ever you get to use first front picks on. That and clearly The steelers understand.
Speaker 2: That and we'll go get our, safety you, know we as much as we LOVE. Mikea fitzpatrick and he's, great we'll get our safeties different, ways and we'll.
Speaker 3: SEE i don't think The steelers want to spend on safeties.
Speaker 2: Any want to spend their high capital on tackles and and pass rushers and high.
Speaker 3: Value hopefully the quarter went back some, Day hopefully.
Speaker 2: Soon here a quarterback that we'll be talking about having to pay eventually two hours in the, books bonus. Hour when we, return we will kick things off as always with your, tweets get those in if you want to get.
Speaker 4: Involved West, Shuler Matt.
Speaker 2: Williamson it's The drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage here on the campus Of Saint Vincent college On Steelers Nation radio on The Steelers Audio network