Speaker 1: He didn't float. I guess he's guilty. It's one more thing I'm.
Speaker 2: Strong and getty one.
Speaker 1: Before we gets a medieval justice, which I had promised during the radio show.
Speaker 3: Is that your new midday judge show? Yeah, Judge Jack and Medieval Justice.
Speaker 1: Yes, where I use the justice system of the early teens thirteen fourteen hundreds. I mentioned on the radio show that I'm considering taking my son to Rolling Loud, California, twenty twenty five. It's a music festival in Inglewood, California at Hollywood Park Grounds. I don't know anything about this. I'm trying to research it, and that's why I threw it out to you listeners. Would it be safe to me to go with my son? He's a fifteen year old white kid. I imagine there'll be lots of fifteen year old white kids there. I don't know if there'll be many old white dudes my age there or not. Anyway, it's Playboy, CARDI, Suicide Boy, Little TJ, Little TJ, yst Grizzly, Ken Carson. That's why my son wants to go, Thanks so much, Little Taylor, A bunch of other people I haven't heard of in neither of you probably, but you never know what stuff like this. It's either perfectly okay and it's as many suburban white kids uh and dads as it is you know, BIPOC people or whatever, and there's so much money to be made off of T shirts and expensive colas that it's incredibly safe and blah blah blah, or it could be a guaranteed shooting outside after the lights go down. I shouldn't be there, and I have no idea which right mm, And I threw it out there for people with their suggestions. I can tell a lot of the texts I got for people that haven't.
Speaker 2: Been anything like this. You're just making assumptions.
Speaker 1: It's like all the people that used to tell me don't go to Mexico, and I went to Mexico gazillion times, had a wonderful time. You didn't have any idea what you're talking about. You're just basing it on rumors you've heard.
Speaker 3: Just forwarded you an email from a in the area. He runs an airbnb right there, and all it helpful is he leaning yes or no? Let's see, I'll read it to you.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Crowds before and after will be urban youth. I go to Sofi Park in Englewood and walk Actually no danger for football, danger is walking slow groups fighting generally probably okay, But transitional space is the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true for lots of things. Man, It's always so hard to know based on others. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and fear of opinion on most things. But I have not the slightest idea. I could picture it being a lot like Disneyland, and also picture it being holy crap, what have I done right?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Do you have any opinion on this, Katie?
Speaker 4: I really don't. I have no clue about this type of stuff. I can think of rock club well, no, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if I want to get into this. So this person said, go ahead, clubs that I've gone to many shows at, and some that I've even played at. That security is wildly different for hip hop shows than any other show. Just but you know, what's what's you know? It's like somebody who knows nothing about metal heavy metal music, for instance.
Speaker 2: Assuming that.
Speaker 3: Uh Deep Purple is the same as Metallica, is the same as some Viking death metal outfit I've never heard of. Likewise, with the hippity hop, what axe draw what sort of people with what sort of proclivities for settling disputes say.
Speaker 1: Well, like I got this text ul Tyler and Playboy CARDI are they have a really big LGBTQ following, and the crowd will be that, Well, that's probably a safe crowd almost. Yeah, so that's that's different than you know, other rap hip hop crowds would be.
Speaker 4: I just recommend that if you go, you refer to it as hippity hop the entire time that you're there.
Speaker 3: I do enjoy the hippie hop. Yeah, oh bad, this is a great hippiie hop concert.
Speaker 1: You might be the oldest white guy there, but your son will have a really good time. I don't care about that. I'm not cared care about whether or not I'm entertained by the music. Somebody else texted it. I will definitely be a shooting out to the concert, But I don't know if they're basing that on anything other than you know, they watch the news.
Speaker 3: Well wait a minute, maybe that guy's planning on shooting somewhere.
Speaker 1: Because we got this one. My twenty four year old daughter is driving to that show in Englanwood. She's very excited about going.
Speaker 2: So I have no idea.
Speaker 1: My guess would be if I was gonna guess, and I'm gonna try to do more research so I don't end up in a bad situation. But my guess would be it's more toward the hip hop Disneyland lots of money to be made sort of thing, would be my guess, although I'm not sure what you mean by you know, there's only lots of money to be made if it's a family friendly, suburban, white peopleish atmosphere, but mountains of money to be made in the other direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I've been to lots of concerts that were fights freaking everywhere and all kinds of stuff, and I went and I didn't feel like I was gonna die, so you know.
Speaker 5: You know what. You know, what concert that I went to where I saw the most fights was a freaking country concert.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Hank Williams Junior. When I went to Kansas City. Oh my god, I've never seen so many fights. Yeah, Hank Junior fought the bass player. People were rolling around in the aisles fighting. You had Oh my god, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the lines, it's the shootings.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was at the shoreline and these two guys started brawling up at the top of the lawn and they went all the way down the hill on the grass.
Speaker 3: Oh that's exciting.
Speaker 2: That was the best show in itself. Okay, I need to get to this.
Speaker 1: So but if you have any opinions on that, if you think it would actually be dangerous, if you have any actually experience with this sort of thing, do you think it would be dangerous or okay for me to take my son to it. Back to medieval justice, And I won't take too long on this. I just read this yesterday on some history Twitter thread and I thought it was interesting. The way, you know, the whole jury trial thing is a fairly recent invention, and the idea that you get to present your evidence and all that sort of stuff partially with getting God out of the picture. But back in the old day they had there were the three ordeals in old timey medieval justice. Without a formal way of determining someone's guilt or innocence, the accused were subject to trial by ordeal. There are three types of ordeals, or deal by fire or deal by.
Speaker 2: Water, and ordeal by combat. Oh boy.
Speaker 1: The goal of these ordeals was to subject the accused to extreme circumstances. If you survive. God wanted you to survive because.
Speaker 2: You were innocent.
Speaker 1: If you didn't survive, you're clearly guilty in God, let you die or deal by fire required the accused to carry a red hot iron nine feet and then have their hands bandaged. After three days, they were required to show up in court and show their hands. If the wounds had started to heal, they were considered innocent if they if their condition hadn't improved, they'd be found guilty and either jailed or put the death, depending on the.
Speaker 3: Crime ge many there.
Speaker 1: Were two different types of ordeal by water. We've heard about this sort of thing from the Salem witch trials. If they were subjected to a cold water ordeal, their hands and feet would be tied and thrown in the water. If you float, you're innocent. If you sank, I guess you were guilty. Will you tie my hands to the deep Brad?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How crazy is that?
Speaker 1: For hot water ordeals, the accused had to retrieve a stone from the bottom of a kettle of boiling water, similar to the ordeal by fire. If your hands began to heal after three days, you were innocent. You had third degree burns.
Speaker 3: Good golly, all this sounds awful. Is this the smartest beast on the planet back then as now?
Speaker 1: And we're not smarter? Like our brain power isn't greater now than it wasn't thirteen hundred, except maybe incremental gains.
Speaker 3: But yeah, right, hey.
Speaker 2: Lastly, I would have hated this.
Speaker 1: Ordeal by combat was used to help two parties solve a dispute.
Speaker 3: Let's get it on, bitches.
Speaker 1: This was mostly used when there were no witnesses or confessions to a crime. Two individuals would fight in combat and the winner would be declared innocent. Who's the other party to the dispute?
Speaker 3: Can I take a look at him?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: I'm only going to get into disputes with old or weak people.
Speaker 3: Well, if it's that, or plunge my hand into a boiling you know, cauldron of.
Speaker 1: Water, Like if I don't know my neighbor Jim keeps parking his RV and you know my side of the lot or something like that. But he's twenty five six four two eighty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let that one go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, that's that's a fine system of justice.
Speaker 1: See if he's the former high school chess champion and a weedy little dude, I might say, hey, get your RV off my land. You want to settle this and trial by combat?
Speaker 3: Yeah, run a little trial by combat, big man. Huh. They had that in the Game of Thrones that Jamie Lanister or somebody said, I choose trial by combat, and everybody's like, oh, oh my god boy. Another thing was the other dude can say, you know I'm gonna choose a substitute. Is that because you could do? Is that what a second was originally? You know, I didn't go to medieval law school anymore than I went to modern law school, but I know there is a thing where you can appoint a substitute. Oh wow, cool, and the two of them fight, and if both parties do that, then if your guy loses, well, clearly God meant for you to be guilty and you get executed or what have you?
Speaker 1: What the hell, Jim, or even trying out there now? Empty man, Why don't you keep your left up? You blew it, Jim, stick and move, stick and move, Jim.
Speaker 2: No, I'm guilty.
Speaker 1: Now I gotta like stick my hand in a bottle of boiling water or some some ass.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess that's it.