Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're brown ambition.
Speaker 2: Hey mana yes to this shirt. It's a dress. I was gonna say, this is a frock. It's a frock.
Speaker 3: It's a frock and a half for frock's sake. This is from the Target. I'm sony.
Speaker 2: Is this a tap of line? No? Not to you right? No?
Speaker 3: No, no, not tabsline. This is from one of their capsule collections. It's a black designer. I want to say his first name is Chris. Okay, but every once in a while I see a beautiful black woman in the wilderness wearing their shirt, and I just dress and I just want to be like Target. No, but it's just no one wants you to just run up on them and talk about Target.
Speaker 2: It's really cute. The frock is crocking you. Hey, you very much.
Speaker 3: You know. I do what I can. I do what I can. Hew you doing on this Monday.
Speaker 2: I'm doing pretty good.
Speaker 1: Actually had therapy this morning, so I was like, you know, sometimes I'd go like, oh no, but it was good, Like it was always good. Honestly, Doctor Green is always amazing. But you know, sometimes you just don't feel like dealing.
Speaker 2: With like like the stuff you have to deal with.
Speaker 3: My therapist called me out. She's like, if you're going to cancel the night before, you know, let's let's let's make this a twenty four hour and advance thing. So I'd be like, my, I don't think I'm gonna want to talk tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she called me out.
Speaker 3: Sorry, doctor Laura.
Speaker 1: No, it just was like yeah, because sometimes and I honestly was thinking, I'm like maybe I should cancel.
Speaker 2: I'm like, do you want to cancel? Why? Why?
Speaker 1: You just don't feel like talking and dealing with the real, the real deal. That's okay to say it, but you're not canceling. And I didn't, and I'm glad that I didn't, because you know, really a really good therapist gives you something to think about. And said, huh, I never thought about it that way for sure.
Speaker 3: But it's like we don't want to save money. Sometimes I want to like go to brunch and not save money. And then I'm like, that's the therapy financial emergency fund. Thing, Like therapy is the emergency.
Speaker 2: Fund for y'all brain.
Speaker 3: It is do your tithing, do your contributions, show up if you don't want to show up. But thank you for that transparent moment. No, I've been in a this has been a day of sewing for me. Man.
Speaker 2: So whenever I like have a.
Speaker 3: I to be here with the needle and thread with whose free time? Nah, No, just whenever I have a busy day. Now, I go back to that analogy of like you're in your season of sewing that you talked about before, and I'm like this, I was sewing today, so so just a bunch of a bunch of stuff, but exciting stuff. I had to look at my calendar and I do like a pep talk for myself, like Okay, we can get through this. Also, let's look at the meeting. This is exciting stuff. This is like interesting stuff, you know. But you reminded me that I didn't even remember today was a holiday. It was Amazon stock split day.
Speaker 1: Girl, Okay, the girls are going up in the in the in the group chat.
Speaker 3: So I have a group around in any good group chat.
Speaker 1: And my sister's girl like, you know, if we don't keep it like it's literally just me and my four sisters. And so my sister Karen was like, don't forget today Amazon had their stocks split.
Speaker 2: What is it twenty to one. It's huge, so you can.
Speaker 3: Get a share of Amazon, right, I mean this is Monday, we're taping this, and obviously stocks change, but what's it that like one twenties one something right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like one twenty four?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, well in the one twenties, because to your point, it is and who even knows. It's literally like fluctuating all over. But maybe we should explain what a stock split is.
Speaker 2: Can you explain it?
Speaker 3: Because I feel like I don't always understand entirely other than it's just like, oh, it's more affordable for people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not the same less you're the No, you're not getting less money or more money. Ye, it's literally let's just say you have a two to one stock split and you have one hundred dollars worth of stock of like we're just saying, you know, Brown Ambition stock, because why not? Right, So if one hundred if one stock, you have one stock of Branhambision is worth one hundred dollars. If we did a two to one stock split, then you would have two stocks, each worth fifty dollars a piece. So you still own one hundred dollars worth of stock. It's just split into two separate sections. So there's two reasons. Well, a couple of reasons why companies like to do this is that one Amazon was in the thousands. I can't remember what it was, and I should have checked them what it was before the two to one's the twenty to one stock split. It was literally five figures for one Amazon stock, which is a lot of money, right, And so one of the reason why they do a stock split is that now people who could not afford mostly everybody you know, to buy stock for one thousand dollars plus can most more likely afford to buy a stock, you know, for one hundred and twenty something dollars. So you're not getting like a bigger piece of the company. It's basically just like you're getting a fractional share you know, of this company you know. So that's one, and then two. What it allows is that if more people you know, how stocks and anything that you sell works is that the higher the demand, the more valuable thing becomes. Now people who normally were like, I can't buy Amazon are rushing to buy Amazon. And the hope is that the stock will go back up and creep back up from one to twenty something to two hundred to three hundred and beyond. So Amazon is going to be worth more money in the end, and like you to be able to get in on the groundish level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like giving everyone another shot.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Literally, it's like, so, yeah, so you know that obviously you have to do your homework. We're not here to say go buy Amazon. That's not what this is at all. It's just to know that there is a stock split, and at the very least it's a great opportunity for you to do a little studying and say, ooh, let me see how you know this is cute? So it's one twenty something today. So if we say this is Monday, the what is it the six mandy?
Speaker 2: When is the sixth?
Speaker 1: Yes, ma'am right, so June one of the sixth, twenty twenty. By the time you listen to this, where's the stock now? As a matter of fact, why don't.
Speaker 3: You tweet us?
Speaker 1: You know, we give use some tweets, just be like, hey, the stock price is this today? At what is it? DBA podcast on Twitter BA podcast, And so why don't you tweet us and say to you know, the stock price when I when I check today is thought. Matter of fact, let's mark the time exactly what it is, because I think that'll be really interesting to say, like, you know, day to day what the stock is looking like, because we get to practice like understanding, like you know how stocks go up and down.
Speaker 2: Let me see Amazon. Well, actually it's called alphabet. It's not Amazon, right, No, that's Google. You know that's Google. Look at me. Meanwhile, girl, I'm like, may let me make sure actually brought Amazon.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't be crazy if I bought.
Speaker 3: To Wait, who's the sister who helps you before you press this?
Speaker 1: It's like, so it is one twenty five, one hundred and twenty five dollars and forty cents. That's what it is right now, A hundred twenty five cents. Let us know the day you listen, whatever day you're listening, say I just checked the Amazon and it's now currently this.
Speaker 2: I think that'll be exciting to see, like the shift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean this is I will tell y'all point blank, I am not the one to give you specific stock advice. I'm the dumb dumb who bought Peloton like in the pandemic and because you know, we had Terry on Terry Agioma from she what's her name? Trade and travel. We had her on and we I got so excited, and she's like, again and again, if you don't, you don't, don't trade stocks without having a plan and how important your plan is and all that kind of stuff. I never had no plan. It was very apparent to me. I still have those shares of Peloton. They are probably worth like, I don't know, four dusty fruit loops from the bottom of my purse right now, that's probably what they were. Yeah, I'm still an index I'm gonna I'm an index fund gal. But I am like to your point, I'm I feel like at a certain point I will be ready. I'll be d need to put together a plan. I need to like get my crap together. But in the meantime, I'll watch you spend your money and sounds.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean because honestly, the last time I purchased the stock split let me see what it was, it did really well because I listened to you know, my.
Speaker 2: Gurroom aka Carol. Yes, I was like, I always ask Carol, so what do you do? Tesla stockspood? What it was Tesla? And also was it Google? It might have been Google see.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm like, how do I even check? I'm such a but it was honestly, I'm not as well. It didn't do, you know, Like I mean, obviously everything is down now, but I had purchased Tesla. Yeah, so when I purchased Tesla, it was they had a stock split and it was still pretty pricey. It was four hundred and forty four dollars and eighty nine cents when I purchased Tesla during their stocks wood, and now Tesla is seven hundred and ten dollars, you know, because Tesla's on the up and doub we'll see because you know, Elon just be talking when I mess on Twitter, So go down, I mean, but I will say because I purchased it during the stock split, you know, like basically, it's back where it was before. And then at the time it was something else. It wasn't Amazon was oh it was Apple. Apple did a stock split around the same time, and I purchased Apple at that time for one twenty seven And now Apple is so not a tremendous jump up, but still so. But I because the time I could not have afforded whatever Apple was at that time.
Speaker 2: I think the Apple was four.
Speaker 1: To one, and I want to say Tesla was two to one then that they split basically like you know, the stock split was half and half, I think, and I think you know Amazon was like in the Amazon Apple was four to one. So yeah, So the thing I like about stock splits is that most financial folks will tell you that typically a company is going to split stocks only when they're feeling optimistic, because usually don't find failing companies do so. So it might be an indication that they're feeling like things are going good, maybe they have something new that's coming out, and you know, so it's a but here's the thing, like, we know how men are with their optimism. That doesn't necessarily mean anything just because someone is optimistic, but just keep that in mind that, like you know, someone a company can feel optimistic, but that doesn't mean that it ends up panning out. But just know that usually it's a sign of optimism, which might be a sign that the company is is feeling strong and good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that, and thanks for reminding me that there's a bright side. I did get some Apple stock and my husband and we got Apple and some Tezzi even though oh teslah elon Musk I just want just let me enjoy my car. Just let me enjoy my good contribution to the environment and feel smug at stop lights when people try to raise me and I beat him every time because that car is damn fast.
Speaker 2: But Elon is ugh.
Speaker 3: I can't even keep track of the bs or reach coming out of his his his world, his tweets. So for the and for those of y'all who who who have I think we've every time we kind of mentioned Tesla every once in a while, get like a DM to Brian Ambisson podcast on ig plug about the fact that the company has been accused of racism in a couple of ways. So they've been hit with like severaldiscrimination lawsuits and even potentially being flagged by the whole state of California for you know, in their I don't know what the status is of that, but it's some problems over there. And that was like back in February twenty twenty two, just.
Speaker 2: To light after reading about that's one. But when it came to light, basically.
Speaker 3: When it came to light, yes, of course, So this has been the experience of workers potentially for years. But then he's just like trying to buy Twitter. And then what pissed me off the most was last week when he sent out that was it a tweet or an email that his staff has He's like, get back to the office or else minimum of forty hours per week and what he said something about like or.
Speaker 2: Pretend to work someplace else, Yeah, which I'm like, what a douche.
Speaker 3: While you pretend to work while you're just tweeting out of your anus. Girl, Like, uh, I don't want to get back my tussle, y'all?
Speaker 2: Do I have.
Speaker 3: No? But it's just like I feel like another toxic you get when you create these deities, these demigods. I feel like in the corporate world, this is what happens. And I mean you've got Jeff Bezos flying off on a dick shape rocket to the moon, you know, spending billions of dollars on it. And now you've got Musk swinging it around on the Internet and just making a fool of himself. And we sort of give them these platforms to do it on, you know, by just treating them like they are, yeah, deities on this earth, and we create these giants and then they get to swing and do whatever they want to do and cause chaos and create turmoil, and you know, I think we're reaping what we.
Speaker 1: So I get Yeah, honestly, my husband for buying his memoir, he bought Elon mus has a memoir.
Speaker 3: All right, that's not entirely true. I bought him the memoir for his But.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing you can again, I'm further problem.
Speaker 1: No, you can learn from different people. I don't even you know, there's a lot of business men and women who I might not agree with all their philosophy or whatever, but there's something to still be learned sometimes is to learn how not to do that and how not to be that way, so that I don't think like you know that's and you're right. You know, when you have wealth and power, you know, the rules don't apply. I remember reading an article about this person became a wealth planner on purpose just to see the privilege that the uber wealthy have. So he became, like, you know, a wealth planner, and sometimes they, like he said, he remembers like one of his first weeks on the job, his boss was like, we have to fly to Switzerland to meet with one of our clients. You can come with us so you can see how you know, we interact and he gets to the private plane that's what they're flying out of. He said, oh my god, I forgot my passport. I have to run back home. And his was like, you don't need it. He's like, no, no, we're flying to Switzerland. I name my passport and he was like, no, you don't need it. You'll see there's no checks, no balances, no nothing. They landed, nobody asked for his passport. Nobody asked for anything. Those rules don't apply to the uber ro key. Imagine flying to a whole other country from the United States and flying back and not being asked for your passport. All these arbitrary rules they come up with for us, they don't apply to the uber wealthy. And that's why you see them behave like children, because it's like, you know, your two year old is like, the rules don't apply.
Speaker 2: It's it's who you're talking to. I run this.
Speaker 1: You know, like children don't have the same rules as adults do, and therefore they act out but their children. And I feel like people are some of these uber wealthy folks are out of them, out of touch the way regular people have to navigate life, and so they think that they can say whatever, and it changes literally the landscape of the economy. Like Elon Musk can tweet something about remember he tweeted the thing about like those corn you know, he sent us something on snel about doge coin and it's which is a cryptocurrency, and it made that coin shoot up in value and so and he doesn't care. He thinks it's funny and so to.
Speaker 2: Just go yeah high.
Speaker 3: He also has this thing about and there is something that I learned about Elon actually learned from him that to point, but he has this this feeling. You can tell from what he says that he has this moral high ground because he's created Tesla, which is an electronic electric vehicle, and like solar panels, and you know, has done so much for climate change. And he pitched a hissy fit on Twitter because have you heard of socially responsible investing or esg's And wait, what does it stand for? ESG funds? So there are these this yeah, this class of we got when we opened Rio's brokerage brokerage account, we gave him a socially responsible like ESG. I think we invested in him in that particular fund. And it's basically like we talk about index funds and ETFs, which are basically like a little menu of not a little but sometimes they can be every company or the top five hundred companies. With ETFs, it can be tied to a certain sector. So with ESG funds, you have investment firms trying to come up with like a list of companies who have socially responsible policies, good environmental impact, you know, are basically have some kind of like moral fiber and goodness about them, and it's all very arbitrary, and there's been controversy about them in the past, like is this actually a smart way to invest? Like do these companies actually perform better? And as investors, you know, who want to feel good about what they're buying, like me, I want to get my son something that I can be proud of, and I just kind of blindly say, oh, this must be the good companies to invest in. But you know, it's actually been found that they don't perform, Like these actual funds are not now that we have some historical data, are not performing that great compared to other even potentially lower cost, lower fee funds.
Speaker 2: And I did learn that.
Speaker 3: Because ELI pitched a hissy fit because they Tesla got kicked out of one of these funds. And that's what it's like, just because your your product does some good. I feel like the the idea that now you are not responsible for what happens at the company that creates your product, that to me is where we need to hold them accountable. Yes, so I'll be very very interested, and I will be watching and I may hit the refund button or exchange button on the car. Who knows, depending on how these lawsuits turn out, because that's just not I don't I don't want to condone that, and no.
Speaker 2: Good, no good. Oh.
Speaker 1: I do have like a little update because a few of you hit me up. I had like the last of my calls with like some of my former employees and they just went really well, I have to say I have the same Yeah. So it just you know, it was like it was hard for sure, but ultimately, you know, that's why the things I'm learning with doctor Green is like girls say the hard thing now says, so you can live, you know, because I walk around like is it have you ever watched Charlie Brown?
Speaker 3: I mean I'm familiar.
Speaker 1: I know, right, there's like there's one character is that Lionus. There's a character that walks from with like a cloud over his head. I don't know the character.
Speaker 3: That can describing E or is that ere either welln't even winning the Pooh whatever, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I know right one of these characters, I'm a most positive in Charlie Brown that walks around with like a cloud over his head. But I feel like it's a cloud of dirt either way. There's a sadness cloud that there's an anxiety cloud that I will live with because I'm trying to avoid having, you know, the hard conversations. And I am now finally saying I don't want to live with that cloud.
Speaker 2: No, I'm all, I don't what.
Speaker 1: And so I've been it feels so good like she gave me a really good activity and this is for you to try as well. Well you don't have the hard trouble with the hard conversations. But one of the things she said, she said, how do you feel now pre conversation about the situation.
Speaker 2: I was like, you know what level of anxieties are giving you?
Speaker 1: And I said probably you know ten being the highest one being I'm chill, I said probably a seven, like it was really like making me like, oh my gosh. And she said, so, how do you anticipate feeling when you have the conversation even if it doesn't go as well as you'd like or whatever, like and maybe you're still sad about it, whatever, Like what level of anxiety do you think you're likely to carry based upon historical data of how you navigate? I was like, uh, I probably get down to maybe like a three or four And she was like, well, I like those odds. So you're carrying around a seven, and the way to get to a three or four is through this door of this one conversation, you know. And so it just really helped me to visualize, like, have the conversation and you can drop from a seven to a four, you know, and then you get to dissipate this cloud of anxiety that you're walking around with. And so it's just been like I've really been not just what I told her today during therapy, I was like, you know, I don't want to just hear the good advice. I want to put it to work and put it to use, Like what is the point of all of this? Like I have to practice the things. And so that's what I've been doing is really practicing like oh it's hard, it sucks practice anyway, And when I tell you, I am just that much closer to what I deem to be free, meaning like not carrying around the baggage of things past. It doesn't mean that things have not happened. There hasn't been trauma or whatever, but I'm not carrying around.
Speaker 2: The weight of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that, I'm like able to acknowledge this is the thing that has happened, this is how I felt about it, but I've done something about it, and I'm able to move forward, and so like it just yeah, I'm like really because I know I was really emotional during that time, and thank you guys for like you're like, you know, writing back and you know, offering me.
Speaker 2: Like support and things like that.
Speaker 1: But I just was like it was just me venting because I think it's good to also see like that part of entrepreneurship that's not you know, like sunshine and lollipops, that it's hard, but then look on the other side, you know, you do the hard thing and you get this feedback that was like, you know, it was just really great to hear from folks and let them know that I hear and feel them and to offer up any condolences that I can.
Speaker 2: So I feel good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as a friend, that makes me very happy because I just yeah, I mean you can tell And if you guys aren't you want the whole backstory, go check out that episode. It was a couple of weeks ago. I think the actual title was the Other Side of Entrepreneurship. Yeah, yeah, I mean you're always so candid like and it's a gift to you work through certain things. But closure is always good. Yeah. It doesn't always work. It doesn't my whole like bull in a China shop thing, like talk about it right now.
Speaker 2: Because I'm ready.
Speaker 3: It doesn't always go over so well, just ask my husband. But when both people are willing to talk and you can like come together and get through it, that's a beautiful freaking thing.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad what you brought up for me when you talked about how Elon Musk is like a toddler was Oh man, I was laughing so hard at the royal family they had like the I don't know some part for the Queen this WEEKA did you see the videos of what's the baby? Uh? Prince William's son Louis or Lewis whatever, where he is legit. I I mean, take the hat and the fancy dress off of Kate Middleton, put her in some ath leisure and a top nott and she could have been any mom and mom in the world trying to shut her kid up.
Speaker 2: She's looking at him and the look, you know, like the purson lips that you give and that.
Speaker 3: Look of like I see what you're doing him. I know she was like, you want to time out?
Speaker 2: And he's like he made this face. I don't even know what that is. Because kids were so smart, They're like, oh, we had a fancy place.
Speaker 1: The strange she's using her we're outside voice, the power lace. Yes, but it's just, honestly, it's nice to just see that. No matter, I don't care how much money you have, how much influence, how much whatever. Yo, Toadler is gonna Patler.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I've never felt and honestly, and he didn't, and he stopped showing up.
Speaker 2: Two events had the baby comely.
Speaker 3: I want to endear the royal family to the world. Just let Kate Middleton be a struggling momb Yeah in heels at an event, trying to keep her kids in line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Levity also.
Speaker 3: Shout out to the Queen. I guess she's, you know, a great lady, crazy white.
Speaker 2: I guess I.
Speaker 3: Am like, Yeah, I'm just glad, you know, Mega Markle got out of there, and you know, her babies are cute, and I'm happy for her. She showed up. She put a hat on for them. You know, that was more than she ever had to do. And and we we wish her. Well, that's that's all I want to say. All right, Well should we take a quick break and come back with brown booth brown break? Yes, all right, we are back. It's not a boost a.
Speaker 2: Break right now. It's time to boost up. Break up, boost up, break up. Boost ah break oh boomoo to break. What you're gonna do? Man, you gonna boost?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm feeling a boost a mystic today. I want to boost. I could, I could have done a break, but I'm gonna do the positive side. I'm gonna do a boost. For the jobs report that came out on Friday, the Labor Department release some job numbers and they were extraordinarily good. And I say this to all the people who have been anxious and reading, you know, choice headlines about how they have been layoffs recently. We've seen them at CNN Plus and we've talked about Peloton earlier that was early better. We've seen them at like payment app Klarna, and how these layoffs are hitting tech especially hard. But nearly four hundred thousand jobs were added in May, and unemployment continues to be really really freaking low, like three point six percent, which is among the lowest rates we've had for decades now. So I say all this to say we going to be all right, right. There are, yes, there are layoffs, there are some hiring freezes, but the job market is definitely still healthy. And I also feel like there's and I hear this from clients all the time too, you know, everyone's talking about how there's so many jobs and how you know companies can't find anybody. But then why am I not getting calls back? And why am I not getting through these interviews and or finding the job that I want to find? And I'm like everyone, like the people's standards for what we want out of employers has risen as it should have risen so so high that those jobs with the with the benefits and the hybrid work schedules, with the flexible work schedules, you know, with the unlimited PTO. Those are not that they're necessarily fewer further between, but more people want them now because now they see how the other half is living. They're on hashtag career talk on TikTok and seeing right. So it's more competitive and it will continue to be competitive. So I think you just have to like adjust your expectations the job. There are jobs out there, but think about like your particular industry and which jobs you are going after, and then like adjust your mindset to maybe have to hold on, you know, and push through and stay optimistic even if it feels like, Okay, the job that I want so badly and that everyone's telling me exists, hasn't you know, come yet. They're out there. They're really competitive, but largely this whole you know, this whole storyline about how I know that we are, you know, edging toward recession and all of that, but the job's numbers were extremely optimistic.
Speaker 1: So and if you're needing help, hello, we have our very own career coach manadrab right here.
Speaker 2: Get you some They want to hire you, Mandy, How could they hire you. Mandymoney dot com.
Speaker 3: You know I've had and I turned my baby business turned one this weekend.
Speaker 2: Okrat, that's a booze girl. I forgot about that. I was.
Speaker 3: I wrote it down. Yeah, I turned one. Bandy Money turned one. I cannot believe that's from the day that I got my LLC.
Speaker 1: Mandy with an Eye. Just you know, so Mandy with an eye, Mandy Money not spell my name. Then worry listening, Well, you know they might be new people. They put a Mandra money dot com. No, No, but for real, if you're like, especially now more than ever, you really want to hone your like skills about how to negotiate, how to find the right job.
Speaker 2: That's why we have Mandra. That's what she'd be doing. That's why we have Manda. Go get you some.
Speaker 3: I'm so damn grateful to be doing this. I feel so good about like, I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, the women that I'm helping, the feedback that I'm getting, it's just all it's all happening. And I feel like too. I get to be optimistic because I see the success happen every day. I see the struggles. But then I get to see people succeed too, So that's why I'm always like, I know, I've seen people struggle. I've also seen what happens when you just keep at it and you keep working and do not settle for less, you know, career wise.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so if you want some tuppy bird Andy money dot com and then it'll be in our show notes her her website, just in case you forget how to spell her name. Yeah, I wouldn't do two quick boosts, so boost number one.
Speaker 2: So one the other day was like, well, your skin is looking great.
Speaker 1: Tip two black owned skincare businesses that save my skin. So y'all know, Well maybe you might not know because you're new, But I came back from Jordan like less than a month ago, and.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was sunburn because I don't know what sunburn feels like. But I had floated in the Dead Sea, which was amazing. It's filled of it's thirty percent or thirty three percent salt, so you can't you can't sink because it's so buoyant.
Speaker 2: Everyone floats.
Speaker 1: And then what they do is there's like minerals that like literally there's the mud it's like clay from the dead sea. You're supposed to put it all over your body. It's supposed to like rejuvenate your skin.
Speaker 2: Child. I did it, and then I put it on my face, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, it's not a little itchy. But I was like, that's okay. I was about to be doing it the next day.
Speaker 2: I was fine.
Speaker 1: The day after that, I looked like like my worst nightmare when I was thirteen. I broke out so badly. And it wasn't just like literally broke out with pimples and I don't get pimples. It was also dry patches all over my face because I do get like a little bit of eggemund during like transitional season, just a little maybe like a little on my arm, but hardly any like a little patch.
Speaker 2: My whole face was a patchy, rashy, pimply mess. It was.
Speaker 1: I really was like, what have I done to myself? And I didn't know what to do and I was so arry.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. What have I done? What have I done?
Speaker 3: So when I got out there and you take the body water mud and you put it on your face, oh my god.
Speaker 2: They say it's funeral.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I got back to the States, and it was like two skincare brands that like saved my face. One my butter Bar. So I use my butter Bar anyway, like just regular day to day. But their stuff is amazing. If you can only use one product because it's not cheap, it's the melon in, which is like I don't like it's like a serum, but it's like, oh so rejuvenating. But like I also used they have like an under eye like like oil roller thing that's really great. I also like their their facial cleanser that's really great. And so that was like, you know, that was like my base of what you normally do. But then my friend of mine, she's got this brand called Puka Poka Puka and a Dawn her name is, and she's awesome. She's had Pooka for like I don't know, probably like twenty something years from now. But so Dawn actually has ms and what she notices that she would get flare ups and she started to look at the products she was putting on her body and she was like, my skin, Your skin is the largest largest organ on your body. So I am you know, like ingesting these things through like lotions and soaps, and so she starts making some for herself and then her friends were like, oh my gosh, can I have some? So she made it as gifts and then a business was born. But I have to say that I went back to using my regular my butter bar stuff. But then Puoka is what really like reset my skin? They have like this, She's got like this shade butter bomb o MG. Literally I would do with the kids on I saw this on TikTok. They call it slugging, where you like basically coat your whole face with vasoline, which I don't know you agree from basoline, but basically where you be. You know, you look like you're five years old and you're going off the kindergarten. Your mother just put all the bacoline on your face. But I was using her Puokah shade butter like cream to do that. Like every night, I would just like coat my face. And after a week a girl look at me, Now.
Speaker 2: Look at it, Look at this, Look at this, look at this, look at this.
Speaker 1: You can't see but gallowing. Yeah, so thank you. So Pooka is Poka go support and then my butter Bar. Two black owned women own skincare brands that are amazing and I love them, and then a quick boost is in my neighborhood. So I live in a similar neighborhood to you, Mandy, mostly black and brown folks, little enclave. It's called Forest Hill and Newark, New Jersey. It's beautiful historic homes and every time a house goes up for sale, we all hold our breath to see who want to move on in, because honestly, it's the nicest neighborhood in Newark. And I have to say eighty to ninety percent of the time it's another person of color, and I'm like, oh my gosh, thank you, thank you. Today I went to like not today. Yesterday, my sister and I went to an open house down the street, beautiful historic home that was built in like nineteen oh eight or whatever, and almost everybody who was in there to go see the house. We met a couple from Brooklyn and someone else. They were all people of color, and they were asking me about the neighborhood. I was like, see, I love it here. Like I can walk with my black hoodie on in my my sweatpants and I don't have to be like like if I was walking in Montclair, like which is like two towns over but not nearly as black and brown. I would be mindful to show my face to be like, look, I'm not quote unquote dangerous, which is so sad. But in Forest Hill, I don't have to do that. I could walk with my hoodie on and people are like, hey, good morning, good morning. Is this and it just feels so good. And I just worry that we were going to lose that because a lot of homes went up for sale and like I said, eighty nine percent eighty to ninety percent at the time, it's been another person of color, and I just love that that, like, because I want to be able to feel safe in my own neighborhood where I can be fully black, you know, like when Durell was here, he would roll up to the house, you know, playing his music and no one's calling the police like on you. It's just like where as I'm hearing in other surrounding cities that are super nice, but there's an issue. You know, there's an issue in the school system where it's like your child is being aggressive, which is code for black because you're the only black tip in that school system.
Speaker 2: We're here in Newark, Newark has some of the best schools in the state of New Jersey.
Speaker 1: And so Alyssa, my stepdaughter gets to go to Science High School, what is one of the top schools in the state of New Jersey, and she takes physics, chemistry all the same time, geometry and trigonometry, and her class is full with other black and brown smarties, you know. And so I just love that for her, and I love that for.
Speaker 2: Us, And so that's just a boost that, like, you know, I don't mind.
Speaker 1: The problem with gentrification is that one it devalues the current property because the people who live there are black and brown, and as soon as you push them out, then the property is now worth more by nature of quote unquote those people don't live here anymore, let's be real, you know. And then all of a sudden, all the resource and the money and everything else comes flooding back into the neighborhood. And I'm like, no, if folks came in and you were able to continue to share in the development and the growth of a neighborhood, I would have no problem with that. But that's not what happens. And so I'm just really glad to know that, Like you know, that forest Hill is maintaining. You know, it's it's level of community, honestly, and I love living here and so that was my boost.
Speaker 3: That's so on topic for me because my neighborhood, like I talked about, Fred's historically black, and like, there is this friction because there have been a lot of some developers moving in and fixing up homes and then flipping them, and the elders of the community are quite quite protective and there's been you know, they're like, I'm I feel like I'm in the middle of it right now, kind of seeing how how both sides are playing out and not like at the same time wanting like loving new neighbors, but also understanding their fear and their paranoia. And I mean not to diminish it, but no, they're there their fear and the protectiveness of the community, yea, and I and I get it, and I feel like, man, I guess I'm I was one of those Manhattan Nites who moved on over here too, in my own little way sort of kind of gentrifying. But it's interesting and I'm I'm like, I think what they want to know from us, the younger people in the neighborhood is just like that. We are also committed. So you mentioned like the community and I'm I'm hopefully we're going to have like a community meeting to talk and to listen to one another and to because it's gotten heated sometimes when people are like, you know, we had this this this neighborhood lists serve. I asked to not be on it. I just it was too much. From my husband, there's something juicy and Rikuale Dell we but yeah, it's like, oh we saw you know, a new family or a new developer, and the developer was like a woman, you know, a family, not a developer. Yeah, but it's like I get what you're saying. It's like to protect the community but also have at the same time those yes, those two things progress so in conflict sometimes because.
Speaker 1: Literally it's like when people moved to Brooklyn and then tried to shut down the West Indian Day Parade, It's like, what you know what I mean, that's what I mean, Like, oh, it's so loud. I'm like, yes, yes, that's what it sounds like when the parade is here in Brooklyn once a year. I just and that's what I'm just that's the frustration. It's like to move in and then say change to fit me, you know, or to move in and say now your house is worth something, you know.
Speaker 2: So I'm just like no, I plus tude. The truth is, I'm worried about my safety.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I don't want to have to worry about walking around and having the police called on me, and like, you know, because I've seen that with my friends who live in like other cities, you know, where they're not welcomed and like you can't even walk your damn dog and You're like.
Speaker 2: I live right here.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Oh you're one of the safe ones. Nah, I'm not doing that, bruh. We're not doing that, not up in here. And so I'm just like, yeah, I I just you know, I'm excited about, like you know that that's happening. Like I said, I welcome other people to come and move here, but not to change the fabric of like it is safe to be here, it is safe to live here. I can be fully black, which might mean like we have so many a lot of Latina Latino families that live here, and like you know, on Saturday, I know, okay, you're gonna play music and I'm gonna be fake meranking in my house, and no one's gonna be unless you take it to three four o'clock in the morning, Mama, then no one's gonna be calling the police on you.
Speaker 2: You know. You know that, like you just want that feeling of like that. I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's almost like being a woman that men don't understand what it is as a woman. You're like, Okay, I'm walking back to my car. Okay, do I have my keys?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Do I have my You know, that's what it's like to be black in a space where you know you've been made to feel unwelcome. It's like, Okay, do I look intimidating? Okay, I shouldn't wear a black hoodie today, even as a woman, you know. And I'm just like, yeah, I prefer not to live that way. I'd like to I'd like to feel free and not feel like I have to make everyone else feel safe even though I'm not doing anything in my own neighborhood.
Speaker 2: And so cause I had considered.
Speaker 1: Moving to like a Montclair or whatever, and I spoke to some folks that live there, and when they tell me the challenges, I'm like, all that's for a nice house. N Nah, I'm good, you know, like I'll stay here where Like that's just not the case, you know, I could be myself and you know, maybe it's not like as fancy as over there, but I mean, like quality of life is great here.
Speaker 2: So but here's to safe spaces.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, friends in our heads. We will see y'all next week. Don't forget to tune in Fridays. We have B, A Q and a Yes. Every Friday we take a couple of your questions. If you got questions, brandnavisionpodcast dot com to drop them off and we will see y'all next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't forget tweet us. I want to see the stock numbers.
Speaker 3: I'm curious right right in the stock ticker what a m z N Yeah, h just google it? Google it and we're at the BA podcast. Do your homework. Tiffany will go after you if you don't. All right, y'all until next week. Bye, Hey, BA fan, We could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Emission Podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: It's edited by the.
Speaker 3: Wonderful Emani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos, Dennis Stimplinsky is our in house tech guru, and I am Bandy Woodard Santos, your co host, and I will see y'all next week.