Speaker 1: Cut over that DJ Moore Zoe touchdown touchdown pairs. I am Jeff Jonihaclitz is on. Donnie got what was like playing for coache gooddo I don't want to answer any questions like that pressure coming is a big trouble. Donnie Goes, Montes, Sweat, Yes, Bears, et cetera. Brought to you by Miller Lte with the voices of the Bears, Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer, we are possibly witnessing the best sports town in America coming to life. Young, impactful, up and coming stars dotting the landscape from Conna Bdard to the Blackhawks, one of the finalists for the NHL's Calder Trophy, the leading rookie scorer in the sport to the Chicago Sky and a rookie Angel Reese. Kobe White are the Bulls showing promise and there is always a next for the Cubs and Socks. And with the Bears, it's quarterback Caleb Williams and wide receiver Roama Dunes Annah rossure of young twenty somethings a roster full. I'm not just focusing on these two guys, but they are all commissioned to restore the roar of this charter franchise of the National Football League. Welcome Back Bears, Etc. Episode number sixty six and Tommylake the historic US Highway sixty six are Route sixty six. These guys are helping pave the way for a new road to the twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you.
Speaker 1: You're in Maui now, so we're going to be separate for about a month here, but with Super Bowl winning Bears guard town there, I'm Jeff Jonihak. We'll review the new editions to the Bears and get some insight from general manager Ryan Poles, and our exclusive post draft chat will also have some of the scouts discuss the picks as well. I know that was a dramatic open, but I want to put it in some context, right, like, this is maybe one of the most exciting times in our history together almost thirty years work on this team and for what it could become years down the road. I know there's going to be a lot of growing pains along the way, but General Manager Ryan has done a heck of a job putting this roster together as it stands at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, for the last five months we've been talking about the presumed who. Now this is the first week that we can talk about the who is, and that is Caleb Williams, Roma Doonza.
Speaker 2: Amagaji and.
Speaker 3: The punter Taylor and a Booker, Austin Booker, the defensive end and the other free agents because nowadays, in the modern n NFL, you got to look at some of these free agents as super talented players. Unfortunately they went undrafted, but I don't think that decreases that they're desire at all. But I think when you look at the top of the list on down, it's gonna be fun to sit here and now talk about who are the new Chicago Bears.
Speaker 1: And really you have to put Keenan Allen in there and Montes Sweat in the twenty twenty four draft class because you used twenty twenty four draft capital to get them. So when you look at it like that, wow wow.
Speaker 3: You know the thing about Caleb and the rest of the rookie crew, they don't have any NFL experience. When you talk about Montes Sweat and Keenan Allen, they have Hall of Fame experience and their career is on the upward trajectory. Even though Keenan Allen is in his young thirty so I'm excited to see what veterans like that can offer the locker room immediately in how depending upon their positions, they can offer the rookies academically.
Speaker 1: This episode of Bears, Etc. Is brought to you by millerte tastes like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly, Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ninety six calories and three point two carbs per twelve ounces. Before we start breaking it all down and get our respective opinions, let's listen to our sit down interview after the draft with general manager Ryan Poles. First talk, congratulations, third draft is a general manager the charter franchise in the National Football League In any way, was this process different than the others?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: You know, every year that goes by, you get better and better at this and you have better feel instincts, you know, want to be patient, when to move, you better feel for the team around you, and so this one felt just right and I think it was right on Tom.
Speaker 1: Did you feel in the back of that pay this is the most important draft I've had so far and maybe i'll ever have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, anytime that our quarterbacks involved. It's a big deal. I don't think as a group we put a lot of extra pressure on ourselves. We really leaned into our process and trusted in that, and it was really smooth.
Speaker 1: Described that process, the meeting to finalize the board, particularly the top ten and what were you bracing for in the top ten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you work through other different scenarios. We ran simulations over and over and over again, just so we were we felt comfortable to be able to adapt to any thing that happened. The scenario A ended up playing out, which was awesome, but we were ready for anything that could have been moving up, that could have been moving back. Fortunately for us, we didn't have to give up anything, and we stood patient at nine and got the guy that we wanted.
Speaker 1: All right, So you did all your evaluations, You relied on the advice and the insight and the professionalism of your scouts, and did you go behind closed doors by yourself think it through, and it said, okay, this is the guy we're picking, and this is the way we're rolling.
Speaker 5: We have a real collaborative setup, you know. So everything that I was thinking, I was putting out there to the group, and you know, we have good debate, but there's some things that everyone sees is the right path for us, and everyone's on board.
Speaker 6: So it was good.
Speaker 1: At any point, was there a temptation or an offer or a call, even long before the process of really digging in on Caleb Williams to give up that number one?
Speaker 5: I had quite a few teams asking what I'd be willing to move. The answer was not at this time for the longest time. And then I think they ended up just kind of giving up on the whole thing and understood why I wasn't gonna move off the pick.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the exact moment, in the exact setting that you crystallized I'm taking this guy, taking him number one no matter what.
Speaker 5: Here, Yeah, it was after spending time with him, just having that one on one interaction, getting to know what matters to him, you know what motivates him, what are his goals, how does he treat his teammates, his work ethic. Once I started getting a feel for the person, that conviction started to come.
Speaker 1: Shortly after all right, take us to nine thought process there. Yeah, we heard how you felt like, Okay, is this guy gonna ball room and dunes? And I talked about him way, way, way long before the draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yep, I love Rome obviously. With him again, I thought it was a fifty to fifty shot he was going to make it to us, and then I was nervous that teams might jump over us and grab him. So we did a lot of work in terms of, you know, putting feelers out to move forward just in case we had to. But at the same time, that's the hardest part of the draft process is do you want to give up a lot to get one player? And you've got to be really disciplined in that. So, you know, we were all sweating. I kind of joked that Ian kind of had to hold me back from giving up, you know, more and more picks to go get him.
Speaker 1: And it worked out perfectly, right, And that's what friends are for, yes, exactly, bes friends all right. Third round, you had many, many options in terms of offensive lineman. One of the best we've seen in a while the draft class. Karanamagaji, local guy, another Chicago kid that really resonates with you, obviously, but so does eighty four inch wingspan or whatever it is in thirty six in Charms.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, we love his past protection he's got feet, he's got hands, he's got length anchors. Well, we love as tenacity how he finishes, and we believe that, you know, with some good coaching from Chris Morgan, we can take his game to the next level and that increases competition on our offensive line, which makes everybody better.
Speaker 1: Thinking this through rookie quarterback, field position is going to be critical, and I think kick returns are going to impact that significantly. A punter does the same thing. To go with the young man from Iowa, Tory Taylor. What was significant about his leg?
Speaker 5: Tory not only has a big leg that can flip the field that's important, especially in soldier field, but his ball placement on punt and pins is some of the best touch I've seen ever when evaluating punters. This guy was putting the ball in a certain you know area, over and over and over again off his foot and it was incredible to watch and really had a front row seat at the Senior Bowl and saw him do it consistently. And part of the goal is we want to put a lot of stress on our opponent. And I can tell you from experience, when you run out on the field and you're coming out from the five yard line or the two yard line. It's an uncomfortable feeling when you look ninety eight yards across and say, you know, this's gonna be a long journey in the playbook shrinks, So that's going to allow our defense to play even more aggressive, which then in turn should get the ball back and create more points and really good field position.
Speaker 1: You get hungry for an edge, and you got a piece of clay.
Speaker 4: Austin Booker round five through the Buffalo trade.
Speaker 5: Yep, Well said. Booker's got length, he has tenacity, He plays extremely hard, still working on his skills in terms of hand usage and winning consistently in the pass rush, and has to get a little bit bigger. But we do believe he's got the skill set to come in and help us with our pass rush and then over time develop and get stronger and become an impact player for us.
Speaker 1: We know what the importance of pro days and top thirties are, so you got to find if these guys are the chemistry for what you're built, what you've already built, and what you want to maintain.
Speaker 5: Right Yeah, And that's that's probably one of the most satisfying parts of where a roster is now not only do we have really good players on the roster, but we also have really good people. And a lot of times your first interactions are at these All Star games. They're on thirty visits where you can sit down and talk to him and get to know what they're all about. And that process has been really good for us, and I think that's why we've been able to do what we've been able to do in terms of building the roster.
Speaker 6: The right way.
Speaker 4: How about to Caleb in Rome pro days?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Caleb's Pro day was incredible. We spent extra time with him before the pro day, getting to know him, getting to understand what he sees and what he knows about the game of football from the mental side of it. Seeing Shane and Caleb work together watching film and going over some installs was fun to watch. You could tell there was good chemistry there. And then to the easy part for Caleb is when he throws the ball. That part was great. And then with Rome his pro day, he didn't do much his pro day, his combine was outstanding. You saw him compete and try to do every drill the best he absolutely could, and it meant something to him. He had he had intent with everything that he did, and it was a very very clean combine for him.
Speaker 4: How important is mini camp for these guys? Next step?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, next step? You know. I would say the mental part is the biggest strain. Now, this is a new playbook, a new style for a lot of them, and they're really gonna have to get into the playbook. They're really gonna have to spend the extra time and become pros with their preparation habits. On top of starting to get in shape. A lot of these guys have traveled, they've had pre and post draft parties, hanging out with family and just running forties and short shuttles. So it's time to get in shape and time to get their mind right in terms of learning the playbook.
Speaker 1: You got a bunch of sub twenty five year olds twenty two to twenty five, big number and then even a little more before thirty. For a young quarterback coming in, is that easier than a room full of veterans that he's having to impress.
Speaker 5: Describably pros and cons on both sides. I think for his ability to start to lead fast, that's going to be important to have a bunch of young guys around him to understand him. But on the other side of that too, you know, we're going to lean into our coaches, who you know Fluse talks about all the time about having teachers. They're gonna be critical in his development as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, Tommy, what struck you about his analysis of how he went about putting this draft clash together and in particular the top two guys in particular here.
Speaker 3: You know, when whenever you listen to a general manager talk after the draft, it wasn't that he was convinced, so that he was convinced himself. And I think that's really important when you look at the importance of these decisions that were made. He knew after having dinner with Caleb and spending some time with them, that this was his guy. And when you're in control of the draft at the first pick, yeah, you can listen to calls, but sometimes your phone goes unanswered and everybody realizes that you've made the decision. And then for Ian Cunningham, his assistant to talk him out of a possible trade to Roma Doonza to be that convinced that that was the guy he wanted, and then he had the opportunity to get him at nine without disrupting any draft collateral, and I'm excited about the other three guys they got as well. I just think it was probably the most convincing of the talent they took by Ryan Poles, even though I think we are all convinced that last year Darnell Wright was the right guy after we saw him come out at Rookie Minniecab come out at OTAs, and the way he presented himself through the entire regular season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like stacking wins, you want to stack drafts. I mean, you look at what some of these really good franchises do. They stack drafts, and then eventually you get to a point where you're just picking the best player. I know it's cliche. Regardless of position that suits your team, there's always something tailor made for it. But when you just can just get really good football players. I just read a quote from Tony Dungee, who does the NBC Sunday Night Football, the fumber Head coach and Super Bowl winner, don't pass up special and he learned his lesson when he was with the Steelers and they passed on Dan Marino as a franchise and he wound up going to the Miami Dolphins. You're a good friend Dan Marino.
Speaker 2: You know there's a lot of teams that passed on Dan Marino. Yeah as well.
Speaker 3: So it's not only a ton of Tony Dungee mistakes. There's twenty something other teams that made that mistake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but don't do you agree with in your heart of hearts because you don't know special until they actually have a career. But if you can somehow you're convinced yourself you can forecast special. Don't pass on special, regardless of position.
Speaker 3: Listen, Michael Jordan was passed up on, you know, in the draft before he was picked. You know, Walter Payton was a high draft choice, but there's teams that passed up on him. Everybody has that in their career, from Aaron Rodg to Randy Moss to whatever sport that you want to look at.
Speaker 2: There's been guys that have been passed up because.
Speaker 3: Some way, shape or form, they didn't check the box of importance that was for their team, their roster, their time, and so you go and you make a different decision and sometimes you live there regret it for decades to come.
Speaker 1: Heck, thirty two teams passed on Tom Thayer three times.
Speaker 2: We won't get into that.
Speaker 1: What really stood out of that interview with Poles is a couple of things for me, Tom A. They want to put a lot of stress on the opponent. So that's all three phases, and that's why in part Tory Taylor's here as a fourth round punter. You just want to make sure you're doing everything in your power to affect the opposition and make them work for it. And that comes also from a physicality standpoint. Make them feel like you've been through something. If they're going to beat you, they're gonna feel it. And then that's always been my thing. I want a physical, nasty football team. I know that sounds idealistic in many ways. It's a different time in place in the NFL, but I want guys that are going to leave a mark a little bit in addition to being great football players. But making a long field for an offense, given a short field to a young quarterback taking the stretches off of him, as much as anybody would you concur that that is a great goal for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Listen, anytime you develop a reputation around the league that you're one of the more physical of football teams that you're going to face, whether it's from the attacking offensive line to the attacking defense. I think that's the reputation that you want to garner around the league. When you look at the Bears defensively, they have defensive backs that are going to hit you. They have linebackers that are going to chase you down and hit you equally as well, and you have a defensive line that's in that development stage. Is that if they can get to the quarterback and kind of shake his confidence with the immediacy of time that he doesn't have, that's also the reputation you want to develop. So I think on the defensive side of the ball, if we have some guys that take that next step, they can develop that reputation. And then when you look at what this offense can offer you, if they can, you know, have that running game that is so beneficial to the overall attempt of offense, then I think that is super helpful to you because that's the first thing you have to have, and then how it leads to the receiver position. And yeah, I think the Bears are on the cusp of that. You know, Sunday night, we are talking about it, because you've always said, you know, when you and Ryan pulls your first interview, how we're going to tear this thing down, and we're going to do it from the studs. We're gonna build it. And so Sunday night, I was telling you all, I think it's time to move in.
Speaker 2: And I do think that.
Speaker 3: I think there's a couple of more shingles you have to add, or maybe some siding, but it is moving ready at this point.
Speaker 4: Right time.
Speaker 1: Put some art on the wall, you know, get that get that nice couch, get that office.
Speaker 3: You can have the best art you can have on the walls of a house or on the fireplace. Mantle our division winning trophies that lead to playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course, uh the Super Bowl Lombardi Trophy as well. Tom Thayer and I here on Bears, et cetera. We're brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears. The other thing is, and he's not gonna ever jeopardize this. In my opinion, Ryan Poles and his staff, it's satisfying to know that they only not only have good players, that this new group are really good people. And I can first hand tell you from the immediate. You know, often your immediate interaction with someone is the lasting one, the impression. And from meeting Caleb Williams, Dunsa and Williams, those interviews will drop here this week on the Bear social platforms. Just tell they're really good people and they really care about winning, and they care about working at their craft. And you know, Tom, we've been around along. We know that there's a be a and a lot of a lot of players that come in this league. And you just have a funny feeling when you're left with the God, is this guy really committed? Is he really going to work at it? Or is he or is he thinking about decorating his house instead of the Bears house? You know what I'm saying, instead of of learning the playbook and being committed in a ridiculous fashion, in a obsessive passion to be great. And we know who those guys are. You played with many, you were one of those guys, and you still are one of those guys. In your preparation, I think a guy's like Matt Forte, who is like that. I think of Mike Brown, Brian Rlacker. The mental not only just the physical, but the mental part of getting ready for games and we can go down the list you know who they are.
Speaker 3: But you know the thing about it, Jeff, if we had no exposure at all to Caleb Williams until the night he was drafted, and that's the first time that we had any shot of him, I would be encouraged because the enthusiasm and what she took that stage in Detroit with was a guy that was really excited about what his future opportunity is gonna be. And then sneaking up behind Romadoonsa in the back of the stage before he was a ninth pick of the draft and just accepted him with the open arms of a team brotherhood that from this moment forward, they're gonna work on some great things.
Speaker 2: That really sold me on Caleb because.
Speaker 3: You hear all these interviews and all this talk about him, and they really they don't know Caleb from a hill of beans, and.
Speaker 2: Then finally you get in front of the camera exposure.
Speaker 3: I was really really excited about how enthusiastic he was about that choice.
Speaker 1: Tommy couldn't have hit a nail on the head any better that raw reactionary enthusiasm, the love you can feel it like these guys, these guys are excited. They're excited to be Bears. They're excited to begin their NFL career. They they you know, they now, they now that they've got each other already before they even step in there. And this is you know, this is another thing I want to bring up with you. I think I touched on it on night and I know I touched on it with Ryan Poles. You know, in a weird way, you always think, Okay, young quarterbacks have to have veterans around them, and every every team has veterans. Let's not get ourselves. And we've got veterans here. We've got DJ We've got Keenan All, We've got Colcomette. There are veterans, but for the most part, the veterans on this team are young veterans in that sweet spot that we talk about. Your team was the youngest team in the NFL the year they won a Super Bowl, and you guys stayed young, and you could have won more Super Bowls if it fell right and injuries weren't a factor. So many things could have impacted that young teams win. They've got the juice, they got the fire, the body's not beat up yet. Do you think in this instant that Caleb being so mature at twenty two, and he is. He is a mature twenty two, roma Doonzay is a mature twenty one. I know the difference. I can hear it and see it with what already has been established in that locker room from a character point of view, and with guys having now a lot of as under their belt but still in that sweet spot of age. Does this benefit Caleb Williams in a way that he can hit the ground running better than if it were a veteran dominated team with some wear on it and already establish their attitudes and what they prefer in a locker room.
Speaker 3: Of course, you know, young is fun, and I think whenever you get a guy as popular as Caleb Williams and the national exposure that he's going to attract to this football team, everybody's going to be able to capitalize on it.
Speaker 2: This isn't only the Caleb Williams show.
Speaker 3: But I also think it's important that Caleb Williams doesn't have to run the show because when you talk about DeAndre Swift and Keenan Allen and Dj Moore and Cole Kamet and some of the offensive linemen and what they've invested in their career ready, and then you look at Montees and TJ. Edwards and Tremaine Edmunds and Kevin Byrd and stuff. You have veterans that are going to be the voice and the leaders of this football team.
Speaker 2: And like I said, a guy.
Speaker 3: As popular and has that, you know, that magnetic personality like Caleb Shoot, that's what breaks up the monotony.
Speaker 2: And that's what's the fun of it.
Speaker 3: You know, when we had the celebrities that would come into the locker room to see Jim mcmahonor the celebrities that would want to come and meet William Perry, we all had fun with it. So I think it's a benefit for the team and guys have to enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Jalen Johnson a part of that now too by virtue of you know, he is a leader on that team. He's a leader in that locker room, he's a leader on that defense. You know, you mentioned the fun part of it. I believe practice when Brian Irlacker and Lance Briggs and Peanut Tillman were in their heyday for the Bears, those practices were fun because they enjoyed going to practice. That was playtime for them. That was playground time. The rest of it, Hey, Brian Irlacker could have done without all the other stuff that came with being an NFL player. He would sit in Dean Pope's office, who was the video director of the Bears football operations at that time, and that was their getaway. Allen Creutz would be in there. Lance would be that was just time to chit chat and get away from things and have fun, eat their lunch and watch team.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Getting on the practice field though, was fun for them. They were little kids at heart, and I believe this bunch is going to practice like that.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: There was nobody on the practice field that was more antagonistic than Steve McMichael. But it was always a positive. It made the offense work harder and practice harder. And then that's spilled over because they were playing against the best, one of the best defenses, the best defense in the history of the league. So that antagonistic approach to the fun of practice, like I said, it breaks that monotony, and it makes things more competitive during the week, and it makes you better football team on Sunday.
Speaker 1: All right, So we discussed the top two Romadunza. We'll be wearing a number fifteen. Number eighteen will be Caleb Williams to start his What's that?
Speaker 2: I told you? What do you mean you you thought I had inside information at the draft?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: What number? And I said, he's gonna wear? And that was from the owner of the dog school that my puppies go to.
Speaker 1: And he's the one that I mean, where do people find this information? Is what I want to know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to the internet. And it was a jersey that was already sold out. It was a number you couldn't get, Okay, it was just the assumption.
Speaker 1: He put two and two together. That's a smart man. Two and two equals eighteen, all right? Round three out of Yale and Hinsdale Central High School. Karan Amagaji. What a great name, What a young man he is. The excitement he had, his his home blew up with excitement. Fox had their cameras in there when he was drafted. It was an incredible, lively reaction to it all, as you might expect being a Bears fan growing up. Let's learn more about Amagaji from the Bear's Coe player personnel director and fellow Hinsdale native played at the high school. Treykozio a'ma Gaji correct and nailed it.
Speaker 4: Yepgaji.
Speaker 6: What's in the name here?
Speaker 4: I mean, what are we getting from Yale?
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 7: He's a He's a guy that we took a look at in the summer and we're really really interested in. Obviously, he's got a rare physical skill set, super sharp kid coming out of the IVY League. Another homegrown talent which is always fun, uh to bring in here. But you know, he kid loves football. He's athletic, he's aggressive, he's strong, and you know, the more you watch them, the more he grew on you. And I actually had a chance to go up there this fallen seem in person, and you know, he got he got injured towards the end of the year, but I actually got a chance to sit down and spend about a half hour with him at the school, which was really, really fun. It's a unique opportunity, opportunity to kind of get to know the guys through the process.
Speaker 6: So it's a really good player. We're really excited to have him.
Speaker 1: He came through the Hinsdale Chamber of Commerce, where Trey Colzil played his football Hinsdale Central Guy correct.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 1: So what's his background to get to Yale and how successful was he in high school?
Speaker 7: So he was, you know, kind of a later bloomer to football, you know, had a little bit of a soccer and a basketball background and and got there. And yeah, once he got to Yale, ended up playing and starting some games at guard and then started you know, left tackle for him the last couple of years and it's just kind of really coming into his own and blossoming as a player. And it's been really fun to watch.
Speaker 1: I am in a eighty five and a half wingspan with thirty six and an eighth inch arms. There are not many humans on the planet carrying that kind of stature around. How does that help him as a player.
Speaker 7: I think one of the best traits that he has is that it's rare to find a guy that has that kind of arm length that uses it and knows how to use his hands and use that length to his advantage. You know, that's something that Braxton does really well at thirty five plus arms too. So to find a guy that does have that length and that can bend and can use that length is really where that comes into play, because some of those long arm guys don't always know how to use it, especially coming out of college. So I think he's really a step ahead of the game there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great background too of influence internationally, which is very strong push in the league right now from African Nations, Togo here, moms from France, so obviously that soccer background. And I keep reading also about basketball feet You mentioned soccer.
Speaker 4: That's got to help too.
Speaker 1: How significant is that for the person who wants to understand offensive line play about feet?
Speaker 6: I think it.
Speaker 7: Speaks to two like how important it is for young athletes to play multiple sports, right because especially playing basketball, getting that coordination, the athleticism, it teaches big guys to have to bend and have to move their feet, you know, and have to be able to play out in space.
Speaker 6: So it just makes you a more well rounded athlete, I think.
Speaker 7: And it's always a benefit, you know, to these players to really get a varied and you know, athletic background coming in, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that thirty minute conversation. Anything memorable about that process of trying to figure out if this guy's will.
Speaker 7: Bear you know, I had a feeling of what he was as a player by watching the tape, but getting to know the man and getting to know the human being. I was probably more impressed with that. You know, he's a he's a really really good football player, but he's even more impressive as a person, you know, and that's obviously coming from me. You know, he's going to be a sharp kid. But the maturity, the self awareness, the composure, just sitting down and talking to him, I came away really really impressed, you know, and it was cool.
Speaker 1: A lot of these guys seek out former players at their positions to train. I hear he sought out the former Cincinnati Bengal Willy Anderson. We called him Big Willie. Heck of an offensive tackle. That shows initiative obviously, And.
Speaker 4: What does he learn for something like that from your experience with talking to him?
Speaker 7: Well, I think too, it's whenever you have a chance to work with a guy who's had a storied career like Willy, does you know you get to learn the finer the finer details and technique work. Obviously, you get a guy who's going to be an NFL player going in the IVY leagues, there's probably some things that he could get away with based on his rare physical traits, but it really does show initiative and his passion for football, and that's what that's what I came. What he really impressed with too, is that he's willing to go down there, put in his time in the summer with an NFL VET, you know, when when he doesn't have to, you know, preparing to make himself what he is, you know, and to reach his full potential. And so it's it's really cool. It almost gave him a leg up and you could really see the difference in his tape from the junior to the senior year just finding a way to unlock those physical tools by being more technically sound, which which makes him dangerous.
Speaker 1: Obviously stinks to the Taurus quad. In October, what's the point of his rehab right now to your knowledge? And now will he be able to hit the ground running here?
Speaker 4: I know he didn't do any workouts, king.
Speaker 7: Well, he actually did do a private workout a little bit later on in the process in April, and we had some scouts out there in attendance. You know, our assistant offensive line coach hass was up there as well, and so he was at the point where he was able to move around a little bit. But in terms of timeline and all that, I'll leave that up to Dre and the medical staff and see where. See where he's at when he comes in.
Speaker 4: What a Yale run? What kind of offense? Shoot?
Speaker 7: They had a good team. They had a good team. It was fun they you know, kind of multiple. You know, you got to see him do some pro style type stuff. You got see him come off the ball in the run game. But yeah, they had a couple of good players. It was fun to watch them.
Speaker 4: What's this do now?
Speaker 1: For just the depth and the competition at the tackle position, and you guys brought in a bunch of veterans obviously to fill those roles as well. It would be a nice addition another young guy to develop.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, and those guys don't don't fall off trees, right, And it's finding the bigger bodies and getting depth with bigger bodies. There's always been a point of emphasis for us, and I think it's really important because you can never have too many good offensive linemen. You know, we'd we'd be more than willing to deal with that problem than lack thereof. So it'll it'll just be a competition, right, and the more good players you have, the better off the Bears are. And that's that's always been our goal here from day one.
Speaker 1: One last question regarding that is considered a very very good tackle draft. Obviously certainly at the top end of the draft. Was there a lot of discussion on tackles overall in the building, And you know, do do people start standing on.
Speaker 4: Tables for a guy like this with the raw skill set?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I think you know, we we studied tackles. You know, we did a real deep dive into a really strong class this year. You know, I think everybody's on the table. You know, when you come into the draft and then you start, you know, stacking your board and seeing who's available and how they you know, working we call working horizontally across the board, right, so you know, looking at the wide receiver position versus the tackle position, versus the defensive end position versus you know, defensive tackles, and and just kind of seeing where the depth is and how we would stack those guys horizontally. So once you stack them vertically up the board, then you start saying, okay, would you take the tackle or the wide receiver? Would you take the defensive end of the tackle. So it's you know, we're blessed to have two really good young tackles here, and so it's it'll be fun just to get another one in the mix and just see how it all shakes out come training camp.
Speaker 4: He grew up a Bear fan, Yes, yes he did, Yes he did.
Speaker 6: You know, we had him.
Speaker 7: It's cool for the local guys. We're able to bring him in for a local it doesn't count against our thirty visit limit. And I know he was in the building and it really speaks to him too, because those guys have to pay their own way to drive up here, you know, otherwise it counts.
Speaker 6: As a thirty visit for us. So he took the initiative.
Speaker 7: We called him up, you know, and he drove up you know, from Hinsdale and came and spent the day with us and our coaches, and we treated it like a thirty visit. We just can't, you know, we can't pay for it. So you always appreciate those local guys that take the initiative and get excited when they come and walk into household because they grew up watching him in panted the team.
Speaker 4: I lied one more what does it mean to you that you got a Hinsdale guy.
Speaker 7: Shoot, he's uh. I think he might have edged out Brian Allen for the highest drafted. I think Brian went in the fourth. But it's you know, it's it's fun, it's fun to see. It's you know, you do have a lot of pride in the fact that you know, you get somebody from your hometown that went to your high school and all that stuff, and it's you know, shout out to Brian Griffin, that the head coach at Hinsdale Central who is a teammate of mine back there in the class of O three. So obviously they're doing something right. And shoot, I hope they can get us some more.
Speaker 1: It's a cool story. Yeah, Hey, Tom, So what's stuck out about that interview about the breakdown from Trey on Amagaji.
Speaker 3: Listen, it would be the same thing if we were talking about a kid from Jolia Catholic the way that Trey talked about Amagaji. Because here's a guy that you kind of get an introduction to him through a head coach that used to be one of his teammates at Hinsdale Central, Brian Griffin, and all of a sudden you start studying what this player can offer you to help your football team become a better football team.
Speaker 2: You look at his size, you look at his length.
Speaker 3: You look at the measurables that you talked about with him in the interview, his intelligence, the ability to play multiple positions, and again the excitement of being to stay around his home and get the support of his family, which was equally as important to me when I was the youngest in my family and got to stay in Chicago. So I'm really excited because I think Chris Morgan does a great job of investigating the traits of every player that comes across his desk and see how many multiple positions can he play. And when you start at right guard, you start at left tackle, I think his upside is still unmeasurable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that's the other thing too. You're giving him a piece of clay. You're giving Chris Morgan because the raw materials are there, the length, the feet, he played basketball, he played soccer that helped him, His attitude is intelligence, all these things. Factor did play guard, but he finished his career at left tackle for Yale in a multiple scheme. And the other thing about him too, the initiative in this young man, you know, to to actually pursue the education at Yale. And you know, you could he could have played football anywhere else. I mean, he has the raw. Anybody's gonna see the body walking off the bus. He I can make that guy into this kind of player, But he chose Yale. He you know that, that to me says something too about about the kid and how important that part of it is. And uh, I just think that this is a great shot to get somebody at the ground floor of their career and craft him into something, whether it be left tackle or whether it be a guard. He's gonna get a lot of interesting reps during training camp, and they're not ruling out the competition already for it, so it's not like he's not going to have a chance of playing, you know.
Speaker 3: Actually, you know, it's kind of weird because we have a lot of similarities between the two of us. It's the difficult part for me to go to Notre Dame was the academic competition. I also played offensive guard and center, and I played my whole junior year at left tackle, but I was an offensive guard, and sometimes what the coaches require you to do that's out of your control, that you have to go and do it with a positive attitude. That's what I like to see what he's been able to do. And then the competitive academic part of it in being able to accomplish that goal, it's as impressive as anything. So I'm really excited to watch him develop as a player. And you talk about the soccer background and the different sports, and Trey made a point of saying, I like seeing guys play multiple sports. It makes me think of a Keema LaJuan. He was a great center in the NBA, one of the best.
Speaker 6: Of all time.
Speaker 3: But he also grew up as a young man playing soccer, and I think that does a lot because bigger athletes sometimes are steered away from those types of sports, and he was not steered away. He competed at them, but he grew into a massive man.
Speaker 1: So there's also this it's an automatic you always think, oh, you know, what's the level of competition in the IVY league, and so do you ding a guy on that or do you embrace that because you know you can get away with technique and when you're a better athlete than the guy across from you, but you can't do that in the NFL. You got the techniques, got to be sharp.
Speaker 3: I don't care about that technique because every one of those kids that he's playing against, they have the same level, desire level, yeah, to be good at whatever position they play. To me, when I'm evaluating player, I'm looking at their traits. Does his feet compliment his arm length and his upper body strength. Does he have the ability to make adjustments and redirected moves? Does he have you know, the different types of things that you need from a stance as a right guard or a stance as a left tackle. So again, I'm not looking at the guys he's playing against, because I'm not scouting them. I'm looking at the guy that i'm scouting to investigate his trades.
Speaker 1: I know how you feel about arm length and hand size. I'm not here to raw you up, Tom. I know you feel that there are varying levels of facts about that and varying levels of fiction about that. However, when Trey says, hey, it's rare to find that kind of arm length and use it to his advantage, Braxton Jones does it as well. So just because you have long arms or big, strong hands doesn't mean you know how to use them. So is there is there a delineation for you in that that Hey, okay, if he's using that length in a proper manner and the technique that you're being taught, is there a benefit to that in a way that you can explain being an offensive lineman yourself. So he's got eighty four inch wingspan, I'm sure that helps inside as well as outside. But also can he use that length to steer away trouble from a quarterback?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: But you have to have a supreme a snapcount anticipation where you're getting the length of your hands into the body the defensive lineman. Now you're in control of him. However, you better have the feet that matches the arm length. To me, Jeff, I'm not so concerned about arm length. I'm concerned about the maneuverability out of your stance and then the ability to get your feet up and down off the ground in a real pitter patter manner. Because if you have great length in your whole career, you've been super strong and you've been able to count on length, but you never moved your feet in the NFL, You're gonna get killed and so That's what I like about Amagaji is the fact that if he's playing inside or outside, his feet meet his length. And that's more important than oh, this guy's got fourteen inch hands.
Speaker 2: Don't care, because if you don't move those size.
Speaker 3: Fourteen feet in an efficient manner, you're not gonna be able to play.
Speaker 1: Game day snacking colls for good foods, Chuckie guacamaldi made with hasavocados, tomatoes, onions, cilantro on a squeeze of lime juice. It's to watch while the Bears win. Score some today at your local grocery store. Game Day is guak day. Every time I read that, I get a little hungry for a little dip, little guak, don't you.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan of avocados. Yeah, and so if it's not it's not in the full guacamole mode. I'm there eating avocados by the barrel full.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go good for you, Let's go for say. I put it in my eggs almost every day. Let's go to the fourth round. Tory Taylor, the punter out of Iowa. He's going to be twenty twenty six. Now, at some point the season will be twenty seven years of age. That doesn't bother me for a punter because they stay around a long time. Fifteen year careers sometimes longer. Same with kickers, a big leg to flip the field, especially in Soldier Field where weather is a factor. He's played in weather they practice outside their entire time. Ryan Poles in the interview said some of the best punt and pin touch he's seen from a punter, which if you want to get somebody backed up and said they're five and have a long field, he's your guy. An unbelievable career at Iowa. What are your thoughts on the punter.
Speaker 3: I had one of the worst offenses in NCAA college history, so much they got rid of their offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: So he spent a lot of time on the field.
Speaker 3: Probably the only punter that can let her in one year because he's got so much time on the field.
Speaker 2: And so I like that. And then if you go back and listen.
Speaker 3: To what our great Doug Kledi says every year, the punt is the most important play on the on the football field, and so all those traits I like out of him, and it's kind of fortunately. I watch a lot of Iowa football because of our good friend Jay Hilgenberg and the Iowa guys I played with, and you kind of pay attention to the inefficiency of the offense. So it makes you see the punter a lot, and I like what I see out of him. You know, the thing about a punter is when you're mature like that and you're a stronger guy, you spend more time in the weight room. You're getting your skill level at a peak performance that you can I can see he's ready to go out there and compete from the very first punt that he gets, and so increase the competitiveness of the punt return game, the punt returners on the Bears, and then the punt team itself.
Speaker 1: You know, I got the impression that he was getting nicked a little bit by some of the analysts because he outkicked his coverage. He had a lot of touchbacks. And the belief is is that, you know, his head coach said, hey, listen, man, just just get it out there. We want we want them to work on a long field, so they know their defense was very good and they could take the ball away and force a team to be backed up. So you got to factor that into what he was asked to do. But the way it was described to me is that this guy's got a golf bag, meaning what do you need? Do you need a nine iron? Do you need to do you need the driver?
Speaker 2: What do you need?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll wedge it up there. I'll do whatever you need. And so if you've got that kind of placement, and you know, he and apparently very much impressed Richard high Tower, the Bear special teams coordinator, from his interaction with him and just his his his on field work during the combine. So a lot to like about this OSSI rules former football player, and they always come in with a very unique way of kicking the football. But he also can kick the tail down spiral as well. It's not just the Rugby style kick.
Speaker 3: But you know, Jeff, the thing about is he's gonna be punting inside Soldier Field. That's a natural grass surface. You're gonna be playing in Green Bay, that's a natural grass surface. Then you're gonna be playing in Minnesota and in Detroit and there are artificial surfaces. So I think when you talk about a punter that has an arsenal, it's a lot of It's a lot like talking about a golfer in what type of end result are they gonna have to their shot and is it gonna be an extreme where it's always gonna have forward, advanced spin where it could go out of bounds or into the end zone every time, or do you have the ability to have those backup style of punts even on the hardest of surfers surfaces that he's gonna punt in also, so I think to be a quality punter, you got to be able to have control of the end result of your punts on the artificial surface as well as the natural surface.
Speaker 1: Here's something that we haven't discussed is the holding. Is we equally important his hands to put the ball down? We I have not explored that, haven't read anything about that. Obviously. It's it's something that you you got to have great continuity and chemistry with kicker Cairo Santos, and Santos will help him in that regard to how he wants the ball down well they you know, I.
Speaker 3: Think when you have the consistency of the snap, it really helps you develop that trade. If you're gonna need to sit there behind with the center and make sure that you catch a thousand kicks, you know, extra point field goal snaps before you ever place one in a game. And you're going to have that opportunity because nowadays, these punter snappers and kickers, they don't participate in practice like back in the eighties. Now they're kind of off on a field by themselves, working with coach High Tower. And you have that, you know, five thousand reps or however many reps you need in order to get ready for a pretty serious dude, yes on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you got a great long snapper though guys's been around. Patrick Scales will send him back there perfectly every time. Busy heart sets or flavors for every vibe. Celebrate Responsibly, Molten Course Beverage Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. As we continue on, let's talk Austin Booker now the Kansas pass rusher, the edge rusher, John City, the area scout with the with the breakdown.
Speaker 4: All right, tell me about Austin.
Speaker 8: Oh Man in stud of a person, even better football player. Excited to get him. I think the thing that stands out the most with him is the upside. He fits a lot of metrics that you really look for in pass rushers. You're getting a guy who athletically fits the bill, measureableves in terms of the length, of speed, all the things you look for in pass rushers.
Speaker 6: Just kild checks all those boxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirty four, about thirty four inch arms right, thirty three and seven eight so at two fifty three and six four and a half twenty one, three years sophomore, and that really is the focus here.
Speaker 4: It didn't play much of Minnesota had a great year last year.
Speaker 1: Heck, if he would have stayed in school another year, his draft staff quite want probably way up. So are you kind of getting a player you could have got next year but you got him this year and helped develop now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think so, But I also think again there's a reason we went back up and got this guy. Obviously, he's a guy that we think could help us immediately, whether that's special teams, whether it's on defense. I mean, all that stuff still to be determined moving forward. But we thought at that point in the draft that kid was ready to be Chicago bear, and Ryan did a really good job getting back in there to make that happen.
Speaker 4: Did he have a toolbox in terms of pass right?
Speaker 8: Yeah, and yeah, I think that's probably the most attractive thing when you really turn on this kid's tape and dive into it. This kid can win multiple different ways. He's a leaner, leaner, thin built guy who we liked that frame to develop, so he can win with speed naturally because of that. But at the same same time, this kid has unique length and ability to win with power. He's coordinated a counter inside and when you look at the rushers, I have really really good success at our levels. The guys can win multiple ways, and that's what you're really attractive about Austin.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I like the long stab. You know what does that do when a guy is able to extend like that, the long stab, just clearing the hands.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well yeah, the ability to get into the chest and driving backwards. What's unique about Austin is again his ability to threaten outside with speed, threatening underneath with the counter and then he's able to get those guys back on their heels and use that long arm to stab them and go right back in the lap of the quarterback.
Speaker 1: I hate the comp thing, but you know when you hear this one comp that respected analyst throws out there, Max Crosby.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, and and Max was the same way. If you remember Max coming out. Max was a junior or an underclassman that came out a little bit early, long, lean, underdeveloped, but athletic and had a lot of the exact same characteristics that Austin has. And when you throw around the name, you're excited about what potentially Austin would become.
Speaker 1: As a big twelve player. And Lance Leipold, Yeah, he's done a heck of a job development. That's the third straight year they put a pass rusher in the NFL. What's he doing there and what did he do for Austin book?
Speaker 8: Lance changed Austin's life. I mean, I think that's the first thing he transferred in from Minnesota. He spent two years there and then came to Kansas and Lance gave him a opportunity to get on the field and let him showcase his ability. Our staff has had a relationship with Lance for a really long time, and he's a guy that when you go into that program you get a chance to meet him. He's always up front and honest with you and you kind of you kind of know exactly what you're getting when you're drafting one of his guys. So for us, it gave us a lot of confidence to dive back into the draft to get this kid.
Speaker 1: I brought this up to him. Obviously, I mentioned Max Crosby. I'm not saying the finished version of Max Crosby, but it has been described in multiple outlets of draft review by people that I respect that he's Matt Crosby lte at the moment. If he's got any reference to Max Crosby style the pass rush, I can't wait to see it. That's all I gotta say. As a fifth round pick, could have stayed in one more year and probably would have been a much higher draft pick. But you know, he had a slow start at Minnesota, didn't get to play Lance Light pulled the head coach over there at Kansas, took things into his own's hands, and really, as he said, as John said, and I have a loud respect for John as a scout as well, changed his life in an instant.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, to me, Max Crosby, it's always about his work, ethic and what a fiery approach he has to play in every single snap, whether he's the point of attack or he's the backside, whether it's a pass rush or a run stopping responsibility. If there is any comparison to a work ethic of Max Crosby, and then you have that template of Austin Booker to work with his size, his shape, his arsenal pass rushes. Then the you know, Ryan Poles did just an incredible job. And you know it's not like Austin Booker has not been on the radar.
Speaker 2: He's been. People are aware of what he can offer teams.
Speaker 3: So in the comparisons to Max Crosby, if it's work ethic, shoot, I'm all in for him.
Speaker 1: Well, number one, you've brought him up many times during this draft process. Something stuck out to you.
Speaker 3: What was it? It was his his improvement of along the way, not the most easy of journeys, not a lot of playing time initially in college, but had huge production when he finally got into the right system, around the right assistant coach. He developed more than one pass rush move. He's able to use his length as an asset, not as a detriment, because you know, there are guys on the defensive side of the ball, Jeff, that have length and they don't play with an extended arm. He does the one thing. Yeah, and that's the thing about him. He creates that separation. Now he's in control of the balance of the offensive lineman or the blocker tight end or whomever. And when you're able to use your length as an asset. That's one thing that really makes an offensive lineman nervous because if they don't get your hands on you, then that defensive lineman a lot like Montese Sweat, is in control of your blocking attempt.
Speaker 4: In many respects.
Speaker 1: Like Amagaji on the offensive side, this is a piece of clay that you're going to mold and shape into a great player. He needs to add some he adds some size to him. Right, he's on skinnier side as an edge rusher, so I don't know how much his frame can carry. You don't want to take away that initial burst off the line of scrimmage or the ability to bend and get to the quarterback. But John Cidy also said, wait a minute now, he is going to contribute immediately. He's a special teams guy and all that too.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you why, Jeff, you know one thing about Amagaji. In an offensive lineman, whatever position you stick with, you got to learn multiple things.
Speaker 2: You got to learn the terminology, you have to learn the exact of it. You have to learn the audible system.
Speaker 3: You have to learn who you're working with, depending upon the position that you play. There's a lot more things for an offensive lineman that they have to learn before you can go in there and play and contribute and not be a detriment to the five upfront. But you can be an asset when you're a defensive lineman. You need to learn a couple of things and you need to know them perfectly. You got to use your explosion, your pass, rush ability, your length, all the assets that you're giving because you're not learning a full terminology of responsibilities.
Speaker 2: Okay, get in the game.
Speaker 3: It's third and eight, you got I want you to rush the passer like Max Crosby. That's all you're thinking about.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 3: And so I just think that the ability to take a young guy that has Booker's ability in his upside, he can be on the field sooner than sometimes an offensive lineman can because there's a lot more details of their job required.
Speaker 1: And look at Mark Anderson in the six season, gets in there and it's ten sacks as a fifth round pick. Huh, interesting fifth round pick, Austin Booker, fifth round pick.
Speaker 3: You have that type of special skill set and then you're going to be on the field immediately, all right.
Speaker 1: I want to bring up a little more about Lance Lighthold. By the way, it's just not a throwaway name. I've always been impressed with that man's career because of the old days when all these training camps were in Wisconsin. He was the head coach at Wisconsin Whitewater, if you remember Tom, he won six national championships in Division three. And he's done a great job of that Kansas program, which really did struggle for the most part of the Big twelve. He's put people in the NFL and three straight years a pass rusher. But an interesting background on Lance Lighthold. He was sitting in a squad car at three am on a Monday in nineteen eighty seven when he recently graduated from Whitewater and was a part time cop in his hometown of Jefferson, Wisconsin. And he once dreamed of a career in the Secret Service or FBI, but he didn't want to go to law school or doing of that. And Kryst de Leash from I'm Gonna be a Football Coach. I love that story and I respect the man's success at Division three and for the time it took for somebody in Division one to bring that guy in as a head coach. I love those kind of stories me too.
Speaker 3: You know, we hear those stories every now and again that a family tries to steer a person in a completely different direction because they know that you're kind of you know, you're moving all over the place when you commit to that coaching life. But that's an incredible success story because you take a job with the commitment and the determination of a police officer, and then you parlay that into that same type of commitment into being a coach, and now you become a head coach of a successful program that's putting kids in the NFL. Congrad Congratulations to Lance for really convincing himself.
Speaker 2: Of one of the more important decisions in his life.
Speaker 1: When it's time to tackle some game day deals, then go with the grocer who's been a part of Chicago since eighteen ninety nine and Jewlasco, the official grocery store of the Chicago Bears. Okay, you got to look at some undrafted's. Keith Randolph obviously from you and by playing next to Johnny Newton, a high draft pick as well. In this twenty twenty four player selection process. Going undrafted, it's got a lot that's gotta fire him up in a way that only he can explain, because he was a very impactful player in the Big ten playing next to a guy like that, so I'm excited to see what he brings. Yes, well, I think of John. Well, the funny thing is Tom. Yeah, but let me let me explain this because Tom, what round was?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Was h Randall drafted in And I'm thinking, gosh, John Randall was, Oh yeah, yeah, No, you were testing me, you were you were setting me up. I'm like, first second, and I just he's he's a Hall of Famer and what a bad man to deal with. And you know, you guys faced him. Uh yeah, So undrafted, undrafted land Uh, undrafted Randall? Wow, what a player he was? What a player Randall?
Speaker 3: You look at Robert mathis guy that's undersize and then they come in they have a career of multiple years of double digit sacks.
Speaker 1: Richard Dent would have been an undrafted player in today's world.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, just just amazing. So listen, that's we talked about it at the beginning. I have a lot of respect for the free agents that come aboard because it could be the the biggest moment in their sports life up unto this point.
Speaker 1: All right, and then twenty four year old quarterback Austin Reid coming in from Western Kentucky. There's a relationship already with Cata Williams. So Lessen, I'm i'm I'm grateful to have as many quarterbacks as you could throw in there to see what they've got, because it's the most important position in sports. So go forth, Austin Reed.
Speaker 3: And you know, listen, you know you got free agent quarterbacks, you got the first quarterback picked in the draft. But I do still think that Tyson Beagin is an asset to the quarterback room along with Rippin. So I think it's going to be a fun, competitive quarterback room. And with one extra game this year, some of those young guys are going to get some important reps in the Hall of Fame game.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And he's had quite the career. Started it at FCS level with Southern Illinois. They transferred to West Florida they want to Division two national championship in twenty nineteen eighty three for four thousand yards and forty touchdowns, ran for six Then he was the starting quarterback at Western Kentucky the last couple of years. Twenty six games after the transfer, he threw for over eight thousand yards and seventy one touchdowns and twenty two interceptions and ran it in for twelve as well. He was the fourth in program history and pass attempts third and pass completions, So you know, won a lot of games and those different stops, and hey see what he's got. Competition.
Speaker 2: It's all about it, exactly, and so that never give up attitude. If you have to go to different schools and you're learning different systems and you're playing around different supporting casts. That's what I said.
Speaker 3: I'm all for these kids, man, and these guys that are nowadays committed to going to different schools to continue their playing opportunity.
Speaker 1: I'm all for them, all right. So Rook Committee Camp next weekend. It'll be our first look live at Caleb Williams and Romadoons and the guys. You'll be in Maui unfortunately, but you'll you'll be taking a look at it in some form or fashion. But I'm excited about it, you know, I always am. It's it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: Baseball seasons well under.
Speaker 4: Way for me.
Speaker 1: Football season never ends, Tommy, So we're exciting schedule coming out next week as well.
Speaker 2: Looks like yeah, you know, I'm listen.
Speaker 3: Like I said at the beginning of the show, we talked five months of whom the draft choices could possibly be. Now we know who they are, so now it's putting them in motion and seeing how they compete in what they grow into and turn out to be.
Speaker 1: And in the meantime, there are still a bunch of veteran street free agents out there the Bears will likely be looking at to fill some holes on the rost that they look at, and you know, edge rusher would be something thing that I would definitely anticipate happening. A veteran of some sort to come in to increase the competition with that position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be careful.
Speaker 3: I don't want them spending money on something that's not going to provide you what you need on this football team. And maybe Ryan Poles did the smartest thing in a trade this year with Austin Booker, and you have that guy that can hold down those important pass rushing reps for you.
Speaker 1: Tastes like Miller time go to middle light dot com Slash Bear's pod to find delivery options near you, celebrate responsibly. Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two carvers per twelve ounces. That's going to wrap us up. Tom, nice job. Enjoy it out there. I know it's also with a heavy heart because just about a year ago had that awful wildfire that destroyed lives, destroyed possessions, destroyed homes not too far away from you, and I'm wondering what the atmosphere is like there and how heartfelt everyone in this country should feel about what's going to happen and the progress that may or may not be being made at the moment.
Speaker 2: I know you've.
Speaker 1: Contributed a lot into this process, as well as a guy who's been going to Maui since his planning days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, yesterday was my first eyewitness account of the area, and it's a neighborhood I know, as well as the neighborhood I grew up in. And to see the devastation and thinking of the moments of the people that were going through the horrificness of the fire last year, and then having a chance to talk to a couple of young guys on the beach yesterday about their fire day experience. The stories are incredible and sad, but the stories of some of the heroic approaches that some of these people did for people that couldn't fend for themselves and couldn't help themselves, whether it would be escaping the path of the fire, or getting food to them or helping them recommunicate with their families. It kind of gives you chills when you sit there and listen, but you can't take your eyes off of them because it's an experience hopefully they'll never have to go through ever again in their life.
Speaker 1: Was it what you anticipated seeing with your eyes or was it worse than you thought?
Speaker 3: It was worse because you know there's people out here that you know as well. And when you see miles of neighborhoods that are are nothing, there's nothing that Every once in a while you'll see a bean from a house or a port stabilizer, but the complete devastation of the path of the fire.
Speaker 2: In listen, excuse me.
Speaker 3: On the news, we see the path and destruction of the tornadoes that happened recently in Oklahoma, and you know that type of devastation, and that's the type of devastation it is, but it took out an entire city of the town of Lahina, of all the businesses, all the restaurants, all the shops, all the apartment just everything that was in its path. And so I am going to have a chance to go behind the lines to see have a closer, up front look at what's going on, and you know, I'll have more for you. But from what I've seen so far, it's more devastating than the pictures that we all saw when we are back in.
Speaker 1: The mainland, right and at least over one hundred people perished in that fire, but the ones who survived, the numbness of that and the direction moving forward has got to be a scary feeling for sure.
Speaker 3: It is because it's still unclear of how they're going to go about the rebuilding process. Because they still have a work community out here of people that are working seven days a week, twelve hours a day.
Speaker 2: In the cleanup process.
Speaker 3: So as you come down the highway, you see multiple semi dump trucks loaded with the destruction that's left behind and taking it behind.
Speaker 2: Or by the designated landfill.
Speaker 3: So it's a continuous, every single day work in progress and hopefully in the years to come, it's for the better.
Speaker 1: All right, Tommy, Well, keep us informed on that. People can help, I'm sure along the way listen to the podcast, so we'll definitely be tuned in for that. We'll talk to you next week. We'll talk to you Thursday night, Bears Weekly, and we'll fill you in how working mini camp's going. And we'll have the schedule by that time, I would imagine as well. So that'll be fun to break down. Tommy. Enjoy your time, buddy, You've earned it, ye big Jeff, that's tom Thanker. I'm Jeff Jonie. Thanks for listening. Everyone, please subscribe now. I'm the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcast. Bear down, everybody,