Speaker 1: Native lamplod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. As we talk about and go into our larger conversation of this conversation around US imperialism. There was one of the clips I wanted to lead off with and talk about, but it was Pete Hegseth who criticizes the media's coverage of the Iran War and talked about the fact he couldn't wait for Ellison to take over CNN. Let's talk about it on the other side.
Speaker 2: With every passing hour, we know, and we know they know that the military capabilities of their evil regime are crumbling. They can barely communicate, let alone coordinate. They're confused and we know it. Our response, we will keep pressing, We will keep pushing, keep advancing, no quarter, no mercy for our enemies. Yet some of this crew in the press just can't stop. Allow me to make a few suggestions. People look up at the TV and they see banners, they see headlines. I used to be in that business, and I know that everything is written intentionally. For example, a banner or a headline mid East War intensifies splashing on the screen. The last couple of days alongside visuals of civilian or energy targets that Iran has hit because that's what they do.
Speaker 3: What should the.
Speaker 2: Banner read instead? How about Iran increasingly desperate because they are. They know it, and so do you, if it can be admitted or more fake news from CNN reports that the Trump administration underestimated the Iran war's impact on the Strait of horr moves patently ridiculous. Of course, for decades, Iran has threatened shipping in the Strait of Horror moves.
Speaker 4: This is always what they do.
Speaker 2: Hold the straight hostage. CNN doesn't think we thought of that. It's a fundamentally unserious report. The sooner David Ellison takes over that network.
Speaker 4: The better. He's a fundamentally unserious person.
Speaker 3: That's why Liz CAUs him. Pete Kigg's breath the.
Speaker 4: Other thing that should like alarm anybody on the listening side of that. There's a lot about it. But as the Defense Secretary for the United States of America, his use of the phrase no quarter, which we should just break down for a moment, refers to the refusal to spare the life of an enemy even after surrender. It means you will kill the enemy regardless of surrender or their inability to fight back, and according to the Geneva Conventions, I think of like nineteen oh seven, that is a war crime, and it is acknowledged at the Hague and through all international definitions of the rules of engagement of war that have been agreed to by all civilized nations, and practically I don't know if that there is one that doesn't agree. Maybe maybe in North Koreina would little little Jim Jim Ill Kim Jong Ill, right, But the man at a press conference basically asserted an international war crime would be the status quo conduct of the United States and military. Again, it gets there are obviously worst things that that this administration has done and said and lied about and so on and so forth. But I just find it alarming that a man who was I think himself in service and then now lead to the service as a civilian leader for the military under the president, would would commit a war crime.
Speaker 1: Not a pressure. There was so much to take out of that. But for me, it just goes to the oligarchy and the fact that they're talking about one of their friends, They're talking about one of their colleagues taking over the media. We now know, if we can put up just the picture of the tweet from Donald Trump just quickly, how they want to take away our voices, How they want to take away any dissenting voice, which is fascism, which is the oligarchy. And if you look at this tweet from Donald Trump recently, he talks about getting PBS defunded. He talks about getting Joy Read and Lester Hode and Jim Acosta and John Dickerson and Chuck Todd and Colbert and all the people who had any type of just clear eyed view that was diametrically opposed to that of the White House out and under reforms. He talks about CNN new ownership. He talks about TikTok, he talks about X, he talks about Disney, the FCC. I mean, all of these things. If we don't wake up, Garrison's now an independent media. But if we don't wake up, I mean, just think about how the oligarchy's going to control our ability to dissent.
Speaker 5: You said something there, Kari that I think is important to kind of highlight, which is that it has never been more important that you support independent media than this time.
Speaker 1: Right now, we are.
Speaker 5: Living in a time. And when I say independent media, I don't just mean like creators and people who are disseminating information that way, which I think is important. I'm talking about non partisan media, which they are actively trying to chip away at. CBS is absolutely partisan these days. They have an angle CBS News. I think about CNN that they're saying the Ellisons are going to take over. I am, you know, when I'm listening to Hegseth, I'm thinking about the fact that I try to get as much of my Middle East news as possible from Al Jazeera. And if you go to Al Jazeera and look at their website and they're reporting on what's happening over there, it's actually fundamentally different many times than what you see on American media because now you have all of these speed bumps in the way. You have the bully pulpit of the presidency coming down on a New York Times or on any of the other news agencies for what they're reporting on, and so you kind of got to look other places these days. It's incredibly important. The other thing that heg Seth said that I want to highlight was that every single Chiron banner headline is crafted intentionally. And what he didn't say, but what he intended for you to understand, is that it's all intentionally crafted to steer you in a specific direction. He even goes so far as to say, I come from that business, which is to say when he was at Fox News, that's what they were doing. They were crafting the story to kind of steer you in a very very specific direction. What they're talking about is propaganda, which is what I believe they want for all the American news stations to kind of be putting out there on their behalf. It's certainly what bart whis is doing for them, and so you've got to kind of be aware of where you're getting this information from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, also state run news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean also to your that thank you natural segue, Andrew, I mean State run News. Let's put up this tweet from SEC Chair Brendan Carr, who threatened to revoke broadcast licenses if broadcasters don't operate in the quote unquote public interest and give the Iran war more friendly news coverage. He said broadcasters that are running hoaxes and news distortions are also known as the fake news, have a chance now to correct course before their license renewals come up. I mean that's a blatant threat. I mean it is it is state run news. I mean it's a longer tweet that I hope individuals have an opportunity to read. At the end, he says, when a political candidate is able to win in a landslide election victory, by the way, this is supposed to be a non partisan office. After in the face of hoaxes and distortions, there is something very wrong. It means the public has lost faith and confidence in the media, and we can't allow that to happen. Time for change.
Speaker 3: Who is a landslide election victory are you talking about? You know, okay, I just you know what's troubling me right now is the many ways in which the deck is stacked. And it's not just a deck that is stacked in media. It's one that they've tried to stack with legal representation. It's one they've tried to stack with, you know, false claims against some of the people who are our heroes right now and have the courage to fight in this moment. Even with the media, they're not playing fair. They are buying their followers and their downloads and all of the other things. So it's it really does put you in a position of feeling helpless. And I think that the most important thing we can do in this hour is turned towards each other. And I think what is so disturbing and alarming to me in this moment is that's not what we're doing, like all of the things that they're doing to create conflict because we feel like we can't win as a people. We are turning our fire and ire towards each other instead of the actual enemy because the enemy feels too big. I don't get it. So I really hope that we recenter and take on the actual fight. We're not gonna win if we keep fighting one another.
Speaker 1: We're just not Can I add one point to Garrison's point he made earlier, just because I become a much larger proponent of it. The technological divide is so great where I'm from that many times the influencers and cultural commentators that we learn to grow and love aren't necessarily saturating into where I'm from. But the media that is there to consume is local journalism. And so while we're also talking about quote unquote independent journalism, think that there is an other another pathway referred to as local journalism, and that needs our support today as well, because that is drying up and dying, and that is where everyday average Americans can get their news, can be a part of the news and the stories that we want to hear or told. And I think that I don't ever really talk about King in public. I just hate talking about him in public. But that fierce urgency of now that he discussed and I have a dream speech is something that I think Angela was echoing. But when we see these things happen sometimes it just feels like a drop in the bucket. I mean, Nick, just a minute ago, he was talking about taking over Cuba and nobody blinked an eye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whychot went down?
Speaker 4: By the way, this guy is saying, first of all, Republicans, the people, these America first people should be pulling their hair out if they believed any of what he said during the campaign themselves, if that's what they were truly advocating for. But the fact that we're spending over a billion dollars a day on a war, a conflict that the President has yet to explain to the American people. He has not held a single address, not a single address from the White House, from the podium, from the Resolute Desk, to prepare us for what it is we're doing over there. Americans have already lost their lives. Others, you know, over one hundred and sixty hour or so are injured, which they they find it an inconvenience when the media asks how did these soldiers die? What region were they in? How were these soldiers injured? And the President says, is there another question? Anyone have a question that's not about dead people?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: This is how it comports himself. And then he uses language like, yeah, we'll take over we'll control Cuba. Yeah, I think we're going to take over Cuba next, and Venezuela. Yeah, we don't have a timeline for when we'll when we'll we'll hand back over leadership to them, we'll control we'll control that. And yeah, we'll take Greenland. You know why you add it? And let me think of whatever expansion is imperialists designs I have on the world. While the rest of the world has spent the last hundred years deconstructing empires, right nations, sovereign people deciding that they've always been sovereign, despite what royal title or country you think you are to have owned us in the first place. Everybody else has moved away from that except two Vladimir Putin, who is trying to reconstitute the old Soviet Republic, Kim Jong un who wants to take over South Korea because he declares it's part of one Korea, Shijinping, who wants to take over Taiwan because he's never recognized Taiwan as being its own country, its own sovereign land. It is a part of China, endo China? And then who else do we add to that list? The only other person we can legitimately add to that list is the goddamn leader of the free world, a free world that he doesn't believe in, because he's trying to build empires again. I just hope, I just hope that this midterm election, we're all going to be smart enough that we don't have to fall in love with the candidates on the ballot. We're gonna have to fall in line with the ones who are going to help hold off and stave off this imperialist, expansionist man who I quite find dangerously delirious most days that he's speaking. And I think somebody I'll be checking into that.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.