Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick Shots, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: We really need a victory tune here to kickoff this week. Here, it's the month of June, and that means that training camp is next month. Football season starts next months. We kickoff June. That's right, and uh, this is mickshots, and it's gonna be about the hottest day going this off Season's up over ninety degrees today. I just looked ahead.
Speaker 2: They got.
Speaker 3: Volunteer are OTAs this week, mandatory mini camp next week, and in the long range forecast, I just looked at most of the temperatures on days they'll be working out will be less than ninety degrees the rest of the way. So here it is, this is the day you whip them into shape for training camp.
Speaker 2: Important day, that's right, that's so important.
Speaker 3: Make them that's right before we do anything else. A shout out to producer Supreme Chris Beam, the coach of the Consolation champion eight and Under baseball team, his son logan one of the star players on that logan And uh, what's the name of that team, Producer Supreme, It's the wolf Pack. The wolf Pack.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When the consolation Championship eight and Under baseball, congratulations.
Speaker 4: Crucial moments where the coach Chris Beam also coach Supreme, I'm sure you made some very critical moves do in the game.
Speaker 3: Are you the third base coach? Actually, Bill, you know, I am. I figured going you wave them with that window. One guy was one guy was the third base coach.
Speaker 5: I'm like that you ain't cutting it to make sure the umpire sends them back.
Speaker 3: That's your goal, right right?
Speaker 2: Hey, that was that was the crucial moment.
Speaker 4: That that moment right there, that's when you guys want.
Speaker 5: Well the final score of that championship game, which we were playing in an inferior opponent actually twenty to five.
Speaker 3: All right, hey, well that's of course it was in it for your buddy. You're in the consolation bracket.
Speaker 2: Well, I was totally.
Speaker 6: They were.
Speaker 5: They were the fourth place overall team, so they were actually pretty good and they just did not come to play that.
Speaker 2: Well, what were you guys ranked?
Speaker 3: We're like seven or eight, so we want every upset.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we were the visitors, so very good.
Speaker 3: All right, well congratulations.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hey they used to and he gets come to work with me today, isn't that great?
Speaker 3: All right, very good. We expect pictures at by the end of the show. You got an hour to come up with some pictures for us.
Speaker 6: Okay, I mean they used to play the third not not of yourself, used to play in the NCAA tournament. Remember the third place game.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that.
Speaker 6: But like that, this is like the n I T the two games you go to the final four, and the two teams that lost played in the n I T.
Speaker 3: No nca tournament, I remember it. In the United game no basketball basketball. Well, they used to play the playoff ball. The Cowboys played in the nineteen sixty five playoff ball that was which was a consolation when in nineteen sixty five the last game of the year. If you look at the media, guys, the playoff ball, I think it was against Baltimore. You willing that day? Yeah right, but the season was over and I guess Cowboys whoever they lost to that year, I think it was sixty five seasons.
Speaker 6: Because somebody tried to mention that that was their first playoff.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, that was, and so there was like a consolation bowl game. Of course, you think about the concept of college ball games and stuff, and so actually college football was more popular than professional football back then. And so okay, we'll go to a ball game show. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: You mean you didn't go to it. That's seven and seventh season.
Speaker 3: So all right, so here we are, Well, you got there's one. We'll spend a bulk of this show talking about what happened on Friday as well. Start, because Everson Walls was a part of it, and it was a big day here behind the scenes because former players like Everson Walls were in the house, not just for a little bit, but the opportunity to spend the day here exactly right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And when I first saw the schedule, I was like, God, damn, it's.
Speaker 2: A long day.
Speaker 3: You know that itinerary for you tinerary.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: It felt like we were part of the team and you know that was the feeld that they went for and that was the field that we got.
Speaker 3: Give us how I did first on who always here?
Speaker 4: Ah Man Tony Dor said Randy White, Drew Pearson, Timmy Newsom, Uh.
Speaker 2: Who else? Michael Levan was who's that Bob Lily Lily Man?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Randy, Randy, Randy brought Bob with him.
Speaker 2: That was pretty cool. But you know, just think about that right to the point.
Speaker 6: Then he then he drove him home and came back by the Wow Randy.
Speaker 4: Did almost Hollywood Henderson, I saw that crazy crazy, He's lost a lot of way.
Speaker 2: It looks good.
Speaker 6: Hailey was here, of course.
Speaker 2: Dressed better than I've ever seen him in.
Speaker 3: Yes, what was the deal?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, it was scary.
Speaker 3: Uh never suit, but he did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he did even long pants.
Speaker 2: Yeah he yeah, and he was like walking upright, it was crazy.
Speaker 6: I saw Brady James, rocket Ishmael, George Tige was here and uh Camps was here, Dave, Dave Campo, Fitzgerald right, Yes, fitz came in and had a nice talk with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 6: He was fired up about it because the last time he was here. I took him in the locker room and they wanted to chase us off because we were bothered the players that weren't in there.
Speaker 3: So about how many total would have been here had.
Speaker 2: To be maybe thirty.
Speaker 3: Five, okay, and these are guys that they all had at least five years or more, Sir.
Speaker 4: I did not know that was the criteria at the time. I was calling Doug Donley, you know, White not here. Uh, he didn't know.
Speaker 2: Anything about it, Like, oops, he's only here four years, well here but Chicago fifth, Yeah, he's got five in yeah, five in.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what he can tell you what happened in the meetings, but just running.
Speaker 2: In tampo, not up and talk of course, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but they these guys were really fired up about it. And obviously this was you know, Brian Schottenheimer's idea to reconnect these guys that had success in this franchise with this current team. Just another step he's taking to uh not run from the Cowboys history, but embrace it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll throw out some other names. Its a supreme just sent me, he said, like Kevin Smith was Vin Smith, Larry cole y Man.
Speaker 6: I had a long call Larry.
Speaker 2: He always talks all the time. Right, that is cool. I like him. That when who also still cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Charlie Williams Charlie.
Speaker 6: And you know what the cool thing was is they allowed the guy to to bring their families with them, like Tony dor Set Anthony was with them.
Speaker 2: Uh and Anthony Junior Jr.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: Yes, John Fitzgerald had his wife with him, his son, grand grandchildren. It was it was yeah, it was really neat that they got to bring their families along too.
Speaker 3: Okay, so tell us that's your generat what you got here.
Speaker 2: And then what happened?
Speaker 4: Uh, First up, we assembled in the big meeting room.
Speaker 2: Uh. Soon as you walk in, there's a basketball goal.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is in the team meeting room or.
Speaker 2: Team meeting Okay, team meetings.
Speaker 4: And that was weird. So a lot of energy was in there, guys with.
Speaker 3: And so just former players and current players.
Speaker 4: Well the current players were already in there and sitting down and then we came in. A lot of them were just kind of content with just end along the wall and just checking it out and then they you know, sit down and go and sit down, and you know, just a lot of energy in there. Like I said, so coach was running things. Shot, he was running things and uh, you know, uh, man, he's energetic, he's energetic, at least at that moment. He had the guys in there. You know, a lot of noise, and they were extremely receptive doing the you know, shuffling of sitting down and everything like that. So everybody made a point to all the current players made a point to shake hands with us that were along the wall. We eventually went and sat down. A lot of teasing going on. So they started off with the shooting contest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why, that's why the basketball goals in there.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's been in there.
Speaker 6: It's been it's part of the it's a staple.
Speaker 4: But well then what I guess that's how they start meetings. And so they started with a couple of players and Sam Williams if I'm not mistaken, uh, and somebody else Sam one, if I'm not mistaken. So then they picked two legends. Okay, it was it was it was the linebacker you just called his Namerady James.
Speaker 2: Brady James and Looney Joe Looney.
Speaker 3: Of course is his hair still real?
Speaker 2: Big? Yeah? Man, it was all up. It was all up. Yeah, he didn't care. Uh, and Looney won. James was uh.
Speaker 3: He shot how many they.
Speaker 2: Had some I can't remember how many seconds, maybe in thirty seconds.
Speaker 3: How many of you can make in thirty seconds?
Speaker 2: That's what James. He made one at the buzzer. Okay, yeah he lost, Okay, I totally got them all right, and go ahead.
Speaker 4: Then uh he called out all our names, which was very cool.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And you know, you just don't I think with me as well as we get so old, do they know us?
Speaker 2: You know, you don't. You just don't.
Speaker 4: Know a lot of stuff going a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 3: If you're on TikTok, they would know you.
Speaker 2: Right there you go, and we're not.
Speaker 4: And so you know, you wonder if they're surprised at the names, if they recognize anything. Because once we left there after getting a welcome from us, we we all stood up and the guys didn't.
Speaker 2: Man, they really did. They gave us a lot of love. Uh.
Speaker 4: It wasn't stiff in there at all. And then as we broke into the different rooms.
Speaker 6: You went into the physician meeting yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, back in the team in the big team meeting room, did they go about their normal business that you were able to eavesdrop on that? Basically you were able to you were in on that, and so that was did you get the field? This is what they normally do, and they go over some of the stuff that they normally do.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it was very brief because we were the business. Yeah, so that that part I was. We were the business. And so once he you know, called the names out and talked to us about uh, you know, teamwork and things of that nature and how close our era was. Uh he you know, got a little emotion about Bob Lily and uh and and Randy coming. You know, guys, you know that they's none of the best shape, you know, and you know you got that kind of history going on right there in front of you, and you know they're still like back in the day. So there's you know, that's the connection that he was saying that was evident here, that should be evident everywhere based Yes, yes, the way I took it, and.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know, he got a little emotional at that time.
Speaker 4: And so some guys stood up and just had statements. Legends some legends stood up and had statements, and most of them just talked about what you would do if you could talk to yourself when you were back with the cowboys.
Speaker 2: That was the legends, and that that would be the.
Speaker 3: What advice would you give your twenty four year old.
Speaker 2: Which is you.
Speaker 4: That meant that the current players would have to take also get something from that, you know.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, a.
Speaker 4: Lot of guys stood up and made some statements and things of that nature in that full meeting room. In that full meeting room, I believe that was the last exercise there after Shotty said some things that we both we went into each movie and we also kind of.
Speaker 2: Did it again.
Speaker 4: We introduced ourselves and those are the ones that didn't some didn't like myself. I didn't say anything in the big one. So now we're in the meeting and we did the same thing there. Uh, coaches all in that. I'm so horrible with names. I don't even know the d be coaches names. But uh, you can just tell. You can tell by the language that they use and how loosely that they use it that even if you don't necessarily go out and perform it perfectly, everyone was on the same page. That's always good when you go into a meeting room and you can see that kind of connection.
Speaker 2: That's always good.
Speaker 4: So that means that they have progressed to a point to where there's unity. Everyone is in unison in regards to what we're talking about here on the board because they actually started running the film.
Speaker 3: And of course you got Andre Curtis in that room and David Overstreet Junior as well.
Speaker 6: Larry Cole told me that when he was in the position meeting room defensive lineman, so the the defensive line coach, Aaron Whitecotton had been with the Jets previously and now here, uh he said, man, he goes, that guy was impressive, and I go, what what stood out? He goes, I don't know, but he reminded me of Ermie Stutton, and I'm going, all right, that's quite a compliment, right, you.
Speaker 4: Know, when you woke up the Jets, you got some old school and you're definitely but I'm sorry I skipped it like now.
Speaker 2: Of course, once we got in and.
Speaker 4: We introduced ourselves officially one at a time in the position room instead if your names is being called out by the head coach, that's when we everyone had a chance to say something a little bit more intimate in the group. And of course I'm the oldest freaking dude in the room except for Campo.
Speaker 3: But okay, yes, Campa would have gone the secondary.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, oh no, and so Campa of course he went, uh, and I went last, and it felt weird.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised that there was time for you to talk if Campo man.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what happened. He spoke in the big meeting room.
Speaker 6: Well, and speaking of Campbo, when I was talking to him, he said, he said, yeah, he goes. You know, when I got up to say something, I said, no, check this out.
Speaker 2: He goes.
Speaker 6: Randy White and Bob Lily. They didn't play with each other, they weren't teammates, but they hooked together because they were Dallas cowboys. And he went and picked him up, was a parent, yeah, and brought him here and took him back home. He goes, that's what teammates do, That's what guys that are, and.
Speaker 2: That's what got emotional like that. Yeah, he had me food.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's we're talking more than fifty years after Bob Lily ended his career and seventy four connections, and there's the connection, you know, passes the Hall of Fame baton on Randy White basically, and here we are fifty years later.
Speaker 4: After I felt I felt funly introducing myself, I really did. I don't even I kind of want to over explain who I was, you know, what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: You should have said, you know, Trayvon Digg isitting here, He tied me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should I have to tell him? Should they know?
Speaker 6: I would imagine rookies probably don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, you know, so we I just you know, da I said.
Speaker 4: I think I said something like I got a few picks when I was here, and I kept moving on because I wanted and I did talk to him about uh, you know how I hated what people can be pigeonholed. You know, somebody tell you what you can't do, and so that was my main goal. Cowboys full of people like myself. That's that's what we do, right, that was our that's our what call him, that's how that's a tradition, that's our culture. Is guys over achieving, you know, according to the numbers. So I want to make sure that they understood that, because.
Speaker 3: You needed me in there to introduce you.
Speaker 2: Because you'd be liking a boxing match.
Speaker 3: Well, I was saying. I was actually thinking about this on the drive in. I was thinking, okay, for Everson, all right, it's nineteen eighty nine, your last year here, Jimmy's first year. Okay, I was thinking, just if if Everson was a Jimmy guy. Okay, if he had, if you had played for Jimmy in college, either at Miami or let's take.
Speaker 2: It to if I stayed here with Alonger with Jimmy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but he didn't really know what you were all about coming in when he comes in here and you're it's nineteen eighty nine a lot. But if you had played for him at Oklahoma State whatever, Okay, and so he knew what you were all about. Hell, I'm thinking he he probably would not have an issue with your fretnizing after a game. He would understand your value, Okay, for a young team as well.
Speaker 2: It would be inherent. He wouldn't have to learn about it. He would already try when you got here.
Speaker 3: And and if you just look at the dynamics, the chemistry of a team which you had a younger team coming in, you had veterans, whatever, you might have stayed here through the early years and been a part of the Super Bowl teams here because you played until ninety three, and so you could you could have played with the Cowboys in ninety two ninety three and may have kept on and a couple of Super Bowl rings and then your legacy here would have been totally different, totally different.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Drew Pearson was.
Speaker 2: Well, now you get caught between.
Speaker 3: And I would have explained that to them.
Speaker 4: Get you get caught between, when you get caught between owners, that's right, and then you get.
Speaker 3: That try and you will. You gots transition in a different place, but it's not the same.
Speaker 2: That didn't help either.
Speaker 3: I mean, you for certain, for sure being the Ring of Honor.
Speaker 2: But that but that's where it was weird.
Speaker 4: Just you know, like I said, did they know about I was the one tray Boma chasing. I didn't bring that up, but once again I wanted them to understand that, you know, don't let them write the narrative. You know, that's what we do here. That's how that's I am not unique. I don't care where you've been drafted, signed, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: Butther up Bill Bates, brother up Bill Bates.
Speaker 4: So Charlie Williams brought up the importance of special teams. I mean, and he was right. You know, it sounded like you sala like sitting in He was fagged. He he said, hey, if you're not you know, if you have a if it's two guys two third, number three DB's and one of you guys are good at special teams.
Speaker 2: You're going to beat out that guy if he's not playing special teams.
Speaker 4: So it was little nuggets for these guys, which you know, when I was a kid, I know I did listen because I.
Speaker 2: Was a Cowboy fan. When mel Renfow came in.
Speaker 3: There, I'm like, whoa you did who that was?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, with these guys, you know, I guess you know. Once again, the reception was amazing, but you know what's really sinking in for them, and I wanted to make sure that they understood, and I had to be I had to be transparent during my words. I let Raveil know that, you know, his style was just like mine. I just couldn't help. I said, so everything, everything's recycling. I mean, you know, right now he's hurt, but just talking about how you know, history and how he came back, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's what we're made of here.
Speaker 3: And by the way, if you go back and listen last week's show, we talked with Everson about the and he was looking at highlights of savone revel and he was saying, he looks like me. Yeah, go back and listen to that, and if.
Speaker 2: I literally talked to him about the face to face as well.
Speaker 6: And if you think about it, they probably understood the guys. Maybe in the Hall of Fame. I don't know if they would have recognized Bob Lilly, but maybe Randy White, Drew Pearson for sure, did Drew get up and talk.
Speaker 2: Or did of course?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, and Haley was there.
Speaker 3: You could have asked, did Drew breathe? Right?
Speaker 6: But uh, And then afterwards I watched and of course Michael got the wide receivers together right after practice and he's talking with he's showing him stuff, and even Haley was out there with the defensive lineman.
Speaker 3: So let's talk more about that, because Michael had a YouTube video and then they he's talking about the day, and I wanted to talk about some of the things he talked about with you when we continue in a moment, and we got some breaking news from around the NFL that one of the top offensive lines in football appears to be taking a hit with a retirement announcement. When we come back here on.
Speaker 8: Heap shots, Cowboys Football and Miller Lyte, what a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past post game Sunday night overtimes, followed by.
Speaker 7: Monday Morning Swagger, Briskey and the Smoker, Miller LT And the Coup America's team playing America's Greatest sport.
Speaker 2: Miller Lt.
Speaker 7: The only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Dallas Cowboys football tastes like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 6: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti store? Letter rip Troy?
Speaker 9: All right, folks, let's get started with Yeddi French Press and Jeor Kalber This Day's hot frivurs and French Press. Thirty four hounds for U six four of the cruise of Yetty French Press. What mixed water prove bags bags of waterproof someher'sa waterproof double's water prove bag bagsports mostly water should get a water prove Yeti bag gonta smell something cooking New cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipe. Just take a state cornbit commerce pot pine potatoes next ovel well three sizes of the Yetty cast Iron.
Speaker 6: Skillers gear, gifts and product experts. Visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square today.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you.
Speaker 3: Wincot kits, it slides for the first.
Speaker 10: Down, invest like your icons where everyone is a rookiean crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfick throw my goodness, wow did he ever thread the needles?
Speaker 10: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest Heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Demitt shuts.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 4: The Dallas Cowboys schedule is officially here in limited tickets are available now.
Speaker 2: Get ready to bring the noise as you.
Speaker 4: Watch the Cowboys live at at and T Stadium when they host NFC East Rivals, Eagles, Giants and Commanders plus the Packers, Chiefs, Chargers, Vikings and Cardinals. Visit Dallascowboys dot com, slash tickets or SeatGeek dot com, the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Okay, more on what happened on Friday with the former players here in just a moment, But here is the breaking news in the NFL. The Lions, All Pro and Pro Bowl center Frank Ragnow has informed the team he plans to retire. He posted a message on Instagram, Frank wrag Now saying these past couple of months have been very trying as I've come to the realization that my football journey is ending and I'm officially retiring from the NFL. Try to convince myself that I'm feeling good, but I'm not, and it's time to prioritize my health and my family's future. He will. He just turned twenty nine on May seventeenth and had two years left on a four year, fifty four million dollar contract that he signed a couple of years ago. Former first round draft pick out of Arkansas, and that's a big hit for the Lions offensive line. They did draft a guard, Tate Ratledge out of Georgia in the second round and a guard out of LSU, Miles Frasier in the fifth round. I suspect they since that this might be coming, and now that we're post June first, the announcement comes and they can take some of that money and it can be over the next couple of years the salary cap hit.
Speaker 5: By the way, bill, that Hall of Fame class is going to be pretty unbelievable in five years, think about Zach Martin retires Tyron Smith right now?
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm, Well, am I making too much of this? What's happening? I mean, what happened? What is he?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not sure what specific injuries that he's dealing with.
Speaker 2: I mean, if somebody, yeah, gotta.
Speaker 6: Be twenty nine, that's yeah, pretty soon.
Speaker 2: That's okay. Yeah, I don't know. This seems like kind of hasty right, nobody just me.
Speaker 3: He came into the league in twenty eighteen, twentieth pick overall. So what is it seven years in the league, eight seven of them?
Speaker 2: Right, yep.
Speaker 3: And so there you go, all right, great investigation, Bill, that's four time pro bowler. And so I'm thinking the Hall of Fame is gonna wait on Frank Ragnow for a while. Nothing to take nothing away from him.
Speaker 4: But that's why I was, where's the lungevity? That's what I'm talking about. If he comes.
Speaker 3: You know, ninety six games played in the league. It's a tough game to play, as you know.
Speaker 6: So something the last thing you guys did, did you stay for your barbecue lunch?
Speaker 2: I did? Yes? Man good?
Speaker 6: So Kevin Bloodsoe is the pitmaster and the last two years he came to training camp and cooked for the guys. So he's the one that they pulled in the big smoker or whatever.
Speaker 2: Man. That was nice and that was a beautiful smokers the first.
Speaker 6: Year he came. He has restaurants in.
Speaker 2: L the LA area.
Speaker 6: He's out there, but he's got one here in Corsicana. He's from. He is the biggest Cowboys fan you've ever seen. We started talking and he knew all about these guys, you guys that were there, right, and had a great conversation with him. And I remember when he came two years ago. He brought his cookbook and I got one right autographed and everything, and I told him, I said, I want you to know I used your drunken brisket recipe. He goes, I said, you know the one you said where you don't want to get up at three in the morning and start your brisket going so you can eat it that night. You had your method of starting it and then shutting it down, go to bed, and then wake up at seven or eight in the morning and just finish it off in the oven. He said it worked great. But he was there and he was enjoying.
Speaker 2: That was a great It was his smoke. It was a blue, beautiful blue color.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's and he said he's going to be there.
Speaker 4: You were saying something about Drew Pearson. We cut you off on the last break. Do you remember what you're going to say, Drew?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: I asked if he talked.
Speaker 6: No, Okay, yeah, And the fact that I'm sure he did, but people would have Oh, I know what it was you know, Drew same as you, right, undrafted, yeah right.
Speaker 4: We were the only ones at the table. At one point one of the employees came up, Oh look at this.
Speaker 6: No, but my point was there were so many Hall of famers.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming that employee was undrafted too.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: Exactly with only two of them were legends. But now it was you know, it wasn't really a bunch of preaching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody got carried away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Michael didn't talk to the group, right, he did not, and so there wasn't preaching. There wasn't preaching until he got out on the practice field and before we get away from it too far. Because you challenged me to come up with injury history for Frank rag Now, okay, okay, So here is his injury history. Twenty twenty fractured throat that makes me. Fractured throat during a game against and he played the rest of the game with a fractured throat. Twenty one. A severe turf toe.
Speaker 4: Injury that causes retirement right there.
Speaker 3: Twenty two, twenty two, a growing injury. Twenty three knee and ankle injuries along with an inoperable toe injury. Okay, twenty four, get this September of last season, he partially tore a pectoral muscle during a game against the Arizona Cardinals. He missed one game the following week and played the rest of the season despite it with a partially torn pack and also dealing with the toe injuring. And we asked why he's retiring. I think we know it now, know why.
Speaker 4: I bet if I was gonna break it down, it'd be the toe. Yeah, because that they took Dion's career and everybody thought he was invincible.
Speaker 3: And just hope he doesn't have the same lingering issues that Dion has had with his toe.
Speaker 2: Like Achilles here Sandy's toe.
Speaker 6: All right, what did Randy Galloway nickname him four toe or something?
Speaker 2: No, that's not funny, man, Come on, see you're gonna get in trouble. But now, like I said, now a bunch of preaching.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: Guys got upset what they had to say.
Speaker 4: And it was cool to hear because I was on the level below most of the legends in the position room. And but Dixon and and Campo and Charlie they were just.
Speaker 2: HETEs talking, you know, talking lango and so.
Speaker 3: It's cool now, Michael said when he got in the position group meeting room with the wide receivers, that Junior Adams, a wide receiver coach, had had them get up on the board. I mean they were doing what they regularly do I in their position group meetings, and they were reviewing some of the things they've already installed, and they're so they were getting called at random, okay, come PROMPTU come up and draw it plays, not only and Michael was talking about how when I played all I just knew what I had to do on the play. I didn't know what everyone else was running back was doing, the tight end was doing all this, and they had to know what everybody's doing, and so with pressure on, with everybody in the room, including former players in the room watching, then they'd get up there draw up plays. And so he said, CD came up and then I can't remember, maybe Mingo was the other one who came up, and he said that they both aced the tests. But those are it's an insight into what goes on during these OTAs. And I was thinking about it really for especially for new players, for the rookies coming in, or even guys that are here for the first time, like in the wide receiver room, Paris Campbell, Jonathan Mingo. It's his first time in the off season here where you can the coach and with a new position. Coach, he's learning how these how these players learn where they are and learning the offense, and really they are positioning themselves for playing time right now because the coaches are sitting here figuring out how can he retain information, how do I need to teach him, instruct him on different stuff, And a lot of a lot of the playing time for the season might be determined with what's going on during these OTAs, just mentally what they can handle.
Speaker 4: Well, what we learned was something similar to what Tom Landry did. Tom Landry would play the formation at certain times and we hated the defensive calls called thirty one safety zone. And no one ever understands this when I break it down to him. But it goes from a zone to a man to man depending on what the backs do. That's freaking impossible to do as secondary. You go from a freaking zone to man and man with no help depending on what freaking running backs are doing back in the backfields. I gotta look way back into freaking backfield while this guy is running that mean who runs probably a four to three so.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So anyway, but we played that because Los Angeles rams Billy Waddie.
Speaker 2: That play call was called the quarterback pass.
Speaker 4: So when we see that formation and that play action, we immediately go to what the strength.
Speaker 2: Of that that play.
Speaker 4: They could change up the play if they want to, which they did, but that play was a successful play for everyone back then. So now when the Cowboys see in the secondary a particular compacted or condensed formation, they play for crossing routes coming not to be necessarily picked up by who you would think, but someone who is playing for that.
Speaker 2: Route to come all the way across over here.
Speaker 4: So playing the formation I never did like that because now they know you're playing the formation, all they have to do is just one route, which if you have a four to seven guy out there at the back from somewhere like Gramley State, everyone's gonna say, hey, let's not run. Was predicated, let's go ahead and change it up because we're gonna have all day to throw on this slow cornerback. So they we had to suffer with that adjustment, but we just played the percentages. So that was a similar thing that they did that we were doing at the time.
Speaker 2: Pretty interesting.
Speaker 6: No comment, Mickey, No, I was thinking he needs to do that commercial with Mike Singletary that there's a radio commercial and somebody says, well, you make the call, and he made a defensive call and it was really long, right, and the gag was, now, what happens when you're air conditioning coming? Oh, that's easy commercial, ac guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But Mickey, you said you saw or or you heard that Michael was out on the phone.
Speaker 6: Yes, he was coaching, and he was out there with the wide receivers and Haley with the defensive ands and they were coaching.
Speaker 3: I mean, they were kind of showing them things.
Speaker 2: They look good, but.
Speaker 3: People were really, well, that's what we need to hear from you. We need to hear them. Okay, we saw we come back and they watched when we come back here because let me tell you, Michael on his YouTube and we know where Michael was in the whole coach search. Okay, we just talked about the guy that he wanted to be the head coach here. Okay, okay with the toe injury, okay, And okay, I'll tell you what Michael said about his impressions of Schottenheimer and what he thought about his day here and how his outlook for twenty five has changed. Hey, We'll hear whatever hass to say when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports tools, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win slides for the first down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: Perfect road.
Speaker 3: My goodness, Wow, did he ever thread the needle.
Speaker 10: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 2: Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas.
Speaker 4: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 8: Cowboys Football and Miller Lyte. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by.
Speaker 7: Monday Morning Swacker Briskey and the Smoker.
Speaker 8: Miller Lyte and the Cook, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller lt the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Boys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miler Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas Shots.
Speaker 4: This summer, step on the field with the Dallas Cowboys. Youth football and dance camps presented by Invisiline. Athletes of all skill levels ages six to sixteen or invited to learn from former NFL players and Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco Campus have a chance to learn technical skills and lessons on teamwork.
Speaker 2: As well.
Speaker 4: Visit dallascowboys dot com slash camps to learn more.
Speaker 3: All right, we've saved the best for last here on this edition of Big Shots, says we go back to Everson's field trip to the Star. What do you saw at the zoo?
Speaker 6: Bring your former play Oh my God now.
Speaker 3: Michael Irvin on his YouTube video, One of the things he said is at the conclusion of his twenty nine minute dissertation on what happened, he said, We're gonna shock some of you jokers. We are going to shock the world, the world, he said, with the w the lines looking. He is really excited about this season. And for some of you who are sleeping, we're going to be creeping.
Speaker 2: I like that. That's funny, she said that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so this is a guy who was touting his buddy Dion to be the head coach of this team, and he had his doubts about Schottenheimer and Schottenheimer in one day in that meeting room and out on that practice field, and what did that? What he's putting together as far as the culture with this team, uh, he has won him over hand. He thinks that the Cowboys are going to shock the world this year.
Speaker 2: What was the oddest thing about someone's appearance?
Speaker 3: The oddest thing about some.
Speaker 2: Kind of I kind of tricked you on the phrasing of the question.
Speaker 6: But odd that they were there, what they looked.
Speaker 2: Like that they were there or not there?
Speaker 3: You mean as far as former players being there, Well, that Michael was.
Speaker 6: There, Jerry Jones, he was Okay, No, he walked out to practice.
Speaker 3: But he wasn't in the team meeting. Yeah, you wouldn't, but he was.
Speaker 6: He walked out to practice.
Speaker 2: He was he was not well, he didn't have a presence.
Speaker 6: There in the meeting room. Yeah, which meant to you.
Speaker 4: Let letting coach have it, let him do his thing, you know, be under control. Now, I'm not looking over your shoulder. That's the that's the guys, that's the locker room. That's the locker room. I didn't even realize it until I'm I'm like, oh damn, Jerry wasn't there, you know, and it no offense. You know, of course Jerry's team, but when Jerry comes, there is not a football team, just team.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: When when Jerry's there, that's the owner, it's the boss. It's a difference. But when when it just the team is there, then that's just the team. And that's the feel that I had without even realizing until I've just noticed that he was not there. I thought that made a big difference in and the flow and the feeling of the.
Speaker 2: Closest in you know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that Michael talked about, the kind of the theme of his takeaway was, as he put it, there's competition in that meeting room with the basketball goalie. Okay, competition under pressure is the way he put it. And it was even in the position group meeting when you're getting CD up on the board and then you're getting MINGO up on the board and nobody knows they're going to get called. So they've got to be prepared when they come to work. Whether it's the head coach or the assistant coaches, they're all working the same way to make sure that everybody is engaged in the entire process. And where you can't mail it in on a given day.
Speaker 2: And I really enjoyed watching the film.
Speaker 4: I did not think I would because it's like I said, I saw the itinery like, oh my god, we gotta watch film really dragging this thing out. But it was very interesting and I came away, No, it's just practice, guys. I know it's just practice. But I saw, first of all, offensively man Dak CDN pickings.
Speaker 2: They looked real good.
Speaker 4: That's on video and on that Friday, So that was that Thursday and Friday, and they were not jogging it. This is you know, the timing was supposed to be there. You know, you felt a little comfortable because there was no rushing thing. I understand that. But the precise connection that you had not with your CD but also with pickings, it was evident on the video and out on the field, but especially on the video itself because you had the entire team out there on that one and you still could see the connection coming through.
Speaker 2: It wasn't seven on seven. And while I was watching that.
Speaker 4: You're looking at the DBS and see how they're being coached. And so I'm trying to got number twenty. I guess it was number twenty Cayer elam man Man it's quick.
Speaker 6: Well, he's a first draft choice. He just fell out of favor.
Speaker 2: He did so well, not just uh.
Speaker 4: And being in the right place, but it was natural the way that the technique came to him. You know, he didn't have to work, and he wasn't stiff, he wasn't step one two, step one. No, he naturally fell into the defense. The strength of it and also the positioning that he was supposed to have. Every time he was critiqued, he was critiqued for doing something well.
Speaker 6: See, and he's one of the guys. So it'd have been a week ago I wrote about guys needing to uh. You know, we always talk about next guy.
Speaker 2: Up, talked and talked.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about that, and he was one of them.
Speaker 6: He gets a little he's getting the opportunity with here, and there's a chance Diggs won't be ready for the start of the season.
Speaker 4: So it looks he looks like he's ready to take that next step because he was playing very good defense on the wide receivers in position at all times, and and.
Speaker 2: Even Carson Carson.
Speaker 6: Kayln Carson on video and they're gonna need him.
Speaker 2: He looked really.
Speaker 6: Good, because we seem to forget and should not minimize the fact that Jordan Lewis is not hearing somebody's got to play in the slot. And they have been using Bland in the slot at times, But then who's my outside guys if he's inside?
Speaker 4: Well, at that they were playing Both those guys that I mentioned were playing outside doing a very good job.
Speaker 2: And this wasn't Walston.
Speaker 4: These were guys making plays, being in position, and they're trying to show the guys and see, this is how you know that some guys just don't retain things well. The way the coaches are coaching, I understand they're trying to make them understand what the percentages are on certain formations. There's only so much that you can do, and they're trying to coach that in them. So it's not just knowing the defense, it's formation and the route recognition.
Speaker 6: So predicting what the percentage is that this is what this route.
Speaker 2: We know it can change.
Speaker 4: We don't know that, but the odds are you gotta be ready for that. And so that to me gave me pause.
Speaker 2: That gave me pause.
Speaker 6: So the other obversation I think I can't remember. Did I say it in the break or now, the speed at running back was noticeable.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: I know they're not tackling, and I know that you got to run through every play to the goal line, right, but the speed at which those guys were moving, especially Williams, by the way, whatever he had lingering from his A C L, it sure doesn't look.
Speaker 2: Like it's there anymore. Right.
Speaker 6: We knew Blue could run, right, Sanders can run. Marfa even kind of impressive. Uh, he was the seventh round pick running back from He's like six' to.
Speaker 3: Two he's a, big big running.
Speaker 12: Back so was your boy, there lip, keckey.
Speaker 3: You, Know but, YEAH i thought that was.
Speaker 6: Impressive and then here's an observation from the locker room On thursday.
Speaker 3: When we were in, There.
Speaker 6: Dak sitting in his locker. Visiting next door Was George, pickens AND i got a better impression Of pickens just watching him interact With dak and how easily he was speaking to some of the media guys. There there was no interview going. On we ended up talking college. FOOTBALL i didn't know that he grew up In, Hoover, alabama which is right next door To, tuscalaloosen, right that's where THE sec office is In. Hoover and he was talking about why he went To georgia.
Speaker 3: And Played jalen Against Jalen tolbert's team in the State.
Speaker 6: Champigs you get, right, Yeah and he was talking about guys in high school and where they. WERE i, mean he was just very easily conversing and TALKING sec football With dak And i'm, going, OKAY i don't know if you know when sometimes when guys get, there we hear all the other. Stuff and he seemed very relaxed and very knowledgeable about the game of.
Speaker 3: FOOT i haven't been in the locker room worse pickets locker in relations he.
Speaker 6: TOOK i think he's IN i thought he should be next To, daker it's on that same, side BUT i think he was over.
Speaker 3: There it's strategic where they plays, locker.
Speaker 6: Right, well there's a Reason parsons is on the other side Of dak for. SURE i think he's In DeMarcus lawrence, locker so he's got a prime spot at the.
Speaker 3: End but just talking with, him and you, know.
Speaker 6: The same thing With Kenneth murray started talking to him and you, know AND i brought up to, HIM i, said you, know one of the THINGS i don't know if you're aware of this or, not but one of the things this team needs to improve on is their run. Defense AND i, Said i'm assuming that's one of the reasons they brought you, here and he, said and basically and, basically, well, no because you brought it up at the end of the show last. Week and he said that the first thing somebody asked him About eberflus and he, said, oh, NO i, Did and he, said the first thing he talked to me is about stopping the. Run and he must have said it three times during our. Conversation And i'm sitting there going and you, know, after you, KNOW i, Said, Okay i've written this, before But i'm going to write it. Again that twelve of seventeen teams last year ran for at least one hundred yards against The, cowboys and nine of them were losses out of. Ten so the emphasis obviously in this running, BACK i, mean in the defensive, room especially the front, seven is better be able to stop the.
Speaker 4: Run they're going to have to go somewhere else to get gither enough for.
Speaker 2: That they don't have enough right.
Speaker 4: Now and AND i know What Michael irvin's an optimism that's coming from an offensive.
Speaker 2: Standpoint, Right, uh we're gonna going back to the way we.
Speaker 4: Work what uh the year we lost to The, packers going back to you, know, offense you, know having to predicate the uh flow of the game for. US i don't like offense dictating our our. Victories and so they got to do. Something they just have to do. SOMETHING i got a lot of. Heart everybody got, heart but ain't nobody over two fifty you know.
Speaker 3: So well, so so the position that needs to be up that you're, looking that needs to be upgraded to stop the run.
Speaker 2: Is what we call, it one to the one one one.
Speaker 6: Technique and, they you, know and that's a massis's got to.
Speaker 2: Take let's be let's be real.
Speaker 4: Guys and they weren't just it wasn't just getting big guys in the. Middle they were shutting guys, down walling us off and getting around the outside as.
Speaker 2: Well so you don't just have to.
Speaker 3: Do The they missed the law a lot.
Speaker 4: Seet you got to have your defensive ends need to be styled as. Well, right you got two forty over, there but he better be a damn good two.
Speaker 2: Forty the guy From Boston.
Speaker 4: College he'd better be a, dwhite freedy or whatever on the coming up as.
Speaker 3: WHY i was high on. That MIKE L, williams who went To San, francisco went To pick before The cowboys pick where people weren't.
Speaker 2: You better coming some? Force, Man you be coming some force on the. Edge.
Speaker 4: Yeah and yet because you will be over there a lot of, times you'll be over there. Outnumbered because teams like that are, good they're shutting off the.
Speaker 2: Pursuit but maybe that's why that.
Speaker 4: Happened to us a, lot especially against The New Orleans. Saints that's how they beat us all day long with that same.
Speaker 6: Action maybe that's one of the reasons why they've Got. Murray and it's hard to tell how everybody's lined. Up he's been on the. OUTSIDE i thought he was a middle.
Speaker 3: GUY i don't know what he's at Sea, athletically he can play, either.
Speaker 6: And you know he had he Led tennessee with ninety five tackles last. Year he was the team, leader and he missed a couple of. Games but they've got him Out sandborn.
Speaker 4: And then they got to we've seen it too many times.
Speaker 6: And they can't go down on Over street and it sounded like just talking to, him you, Know thanksgiving might be his goal to get. Back, so, uh that's for big.
Speaker 2: Bodies be agile as. Well they need to be agile as.
Speaker 4: Well i've got to see some improvement From nazizzi.
Speaker 6: Is going to be really. Important and then if the guy they drafted in the seventh round is It? Toya is that how you say? It he's three, Forty so they got a big body in. There, now can you play damn three?
Speaker 2: Forty what the? Heck they? What what is?
Speaker 3: He this is the second second straight year they've drafted a three hundred and forty pounds three excuse?
Speaker 13: Me so we can we can play with ten men on the field With they Got Justin rodgers in last year's draft who went away since ain't came back and he's back now and he's to three hundred and thirty eight, Pounds SO i.
Speaker 3: Mean they've they've been throwing seventh round picks in that.
Speaker 12: Position we'll see and they got to.
Speaker 2: Play we do on need.
Speaker 6: Gimmicks but then when you're talking about that outside, Stuff Michael parson's got to understand he's got to play the. Run you, know his job is not to just shoot to the quarterback every. Time he's got to be able to stand up.
Speaker 4: AGAIN i must admit he had a little more poise last, year Did, yeah a little more poised last, year a.
Speaker 6: Little more, discipline not just chasing. Sacks, Right So.
Speaker 2: I'm just under some tough.
Speaker 3: Conditions so you spent a day at practice in. Meetings What's michael?
Speaker 2: Missing we really didn't look At.
Speaker 3: Michael, no But i'm just saying in, General michaeh what? General What Michael parsons missing by not being? Here?
Speaker 2: Oh you, Mean i'm, sorry you know?
Speaker 4: What he what he really kind of probably, started you know WHAT i, mean because that's the way it. Was it was as if he was, there you know. That i'm pretty sure he's the one that kind of started all the.
Speaker 3: Energy, yeah and the.
Speaker 4: Competition, Yeah i'm pretty had a lot to do with. That, yeah he wasn't, There he wasn't. Missed he wasn't. Missed SO i think that's a good. Thing he started. It, uh the guys that carried on and with the culture that kind of he kind of contributed to, us maybe even.
Speaker 2: Created.
Speaker 3: Uh so you have no Doubt michael comes back in here and He's, yeah there's no, nobody.
Speaker 6: But players never really do that when a guy's kind of angling for a better, contract, right players support the player's effort to do.
Speaker 2: That and and and.
Speaker 3: As far as building the team chemistry that's happening Whether mike is here or, not might and he'll fit right into.
Speaker 6: It is that what that's probably the meetings is probably most. Important that he's.
Speaker 4: Missing, Well i'm sure some, guys some of the younger guys kind of wanted to be inspired by, him who are here just got. Here but, uh LIKE i, said as far as the entire meeting room was, CONCERNED i don't know what's happened in my linebacker, room but the entire meeting was.
Speaker 2: Concerned he was not. MISSING i don't mean that as a.
Speaker 4: Dig things went well without, Him and good luck and we'll see you when you get, here you.
Speaker 3: Know, uh but you sound Like shottenheimer really rubbing off on.
Speaker 2: You is that what you? SAID i did, not but not THAT i. Think but that's the main.
Speaker 4: Thing and and, OH i kept wanting to say the camaraderie on the field man With dak AND cd and pickings JUST i THINK i may have said, Before, man it just really looks.
Speaker 2: Good, well there was a.
Speaker 4: Play it's good to have it's. Good they got their. Money everybody got their. Money we're.
Speaker 2: Here m.
Speaker 4: Hmm everybody got their money and we are what they, say ten toes. Down that's what the young kids say to say they are. Here and they are. Jelling they're. Yelling they just they're just. YELLING i don't, know you, know maybe it's just an.
Speaker 3: Act BUT i mean thinking about it last year and THE cd wasn't, around that's.
Speaker 4: What AND i said that to. Death good to see you AND cd working In south. Season good to see you A cd working in The south.
Speaker 6: Season and there was a play in one of those practices Where pickens it looked like the coverage was over THE Cd pickens. One it would have been a probably a touchdown and the first guy CELEBRATING cd.
Speaker 4: And he runs over to, Him he ran over to. HIM i saw that he ran over to him and they, whatever they walked back. Together, yeah they walked back.
Speaker 6: Together so that part of it, all this how they're going to get along AFTER i.
Speaker 2: Had maintain With.
Speaker 6: Pickens, yeah.
Speaker 2: Tough.
Speaker 6: Conditions he's got some common sense AND i think that's a that's that's a good.
Speaker 3: Thing, okay both of you have been great showing up for these voluntary voluntary podcasts the last BUT i mean, ever you missed some time. Too BUT i gotta tell you next. Week yes it's, Mandatory, yes, right we'll be, here mandatory be, here it's next week, Here, okay so we will see you again and mandatory for you guys to be paying attention to us.
Speaker 2: Too there you.
Speaker 3: Go Next monday at eleven am entire Mandatory minichamp pregame Show Mixed Shots So.
Speaker 2: Cowboys this has been.
Speaker 1: A production Of dallascowboys Dot com and The Dallas Cowboys Football.
Speaker 3: Club