Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: Good morning, everybody, Happy Monday. Welcome to Breaking Points. Emily Pleasure.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure to be here and especially today Crystal, because we have great news.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have great show news. We have a lot of big news in the shows.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of bad news, a.
Speaker 4: Lot of bad news about the world in general.
Speaker 2: The shuttle typical and to be expected at this point in all of our lives, I would assume, But we do have good news with regard to the show. By popular demand, we are bringing back the monthly membership.
Speaker 4: Let's go so that is exciting.
Speaker 2: And here are the benefits you get as a premium Breaking Points member. You get full uncut episodes in your inbox every morning. You get ad free shows, you get the live streamed amas, you get the second half of the Friday Show. You get the full complete Friday Show, which you definitely don't want to miss. And it says interact with the hosts. Yeah we do, Yeah, sure, go for it.
Speaker 4: The Friday Show.
Speaker 2: We also take some premium questions, so and we're looking for more ore opportunities to do that sort of engagement. And not only are we bring back the monthly membership put the next piece up on the screen, we are doing a free monthly trial promotion right now.
Speaker 4: The promo code there is BP free.
Speaker 2: So listen, we realize the economy is on a little bit precarious ground. People are feeling a little leery of putting out the big upfront costs. So we get that. So that's why we wanted to do this and do the promotion. And you know, if you guys are able to support us, it has allowed us to expand to five days a week. You know, we've got a lot of ideas for how we want to continue to expand and grow the show. So thank you all so much all ready for your support. And if you're able to subscribe Breaking Points dot com, that's where you go. You put in that VP free code, you get a free month. See if you find it worth your money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just give it a try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can't hurt. Yeah, there you go. All right, so go ahead and throw up the show bar. We can go through quickly.
Speaker 4: What is in the show.
Speaker 2: We've got a bunch of big economic news that will go through. Jeff Stein is actually going to join us Wall Street concerned about the bond market. We've got new tariffs, we've got new escalation with China, so a lot to get into there. We also are going to have Jeremy Skahill to join us with the latest with regards to those ceasefire talks and also a horrific massacre of Palestinians who were seeking aid in that new mercenary lead scheme. So Skalhill will break all of that down for us. Also want to get his reaction to some Jake Tapper comments about the college student protests that I think will be interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which means that we have to watch the video again. We've already watched it once this morning, and I don't know that I can do it again.
Speaker 4: Are you sure? It's a pleasure to be here this morning?
Speaker 3: And look, no, it changed my mind.
Speaker 2: Also got to get to news with regard to Ukraine and Russia. They were able to effectuate this quite dramatic attack on Russian warplanes deep inside of Russia. This happens as peace talks are ongoing there, so that is incredibly significant.
Speaker 4: We've got more Elon news for you.
Speaker 2: Bunch of news articles coming out about some inside details about his drug use and Trump sort of losing confidence in him, asking at one point, wait at the second where the cuts, was this all bullshit?
Speaker 4: Which is kind of surprising.
Speaker 2: That he didn't know that it was all bullshit in But anyway, so we've got a lot going on there. Joni Ernst, Senator, Republican senator defending the proposed Medicaid cuts by saying, hey, we're all going to die at some point.
Speaker 3: Incredible, she's fact checked that, Crystal, I dare.
Speaker 2: You Nolah's detection.
Speaker 3: I guess she wrong.
Speaker 2: Noah's detected. I've been we do have.
Speaker 3: The well I was gonna say. She put an even better apology video out, so stay tuned for that. It's a graveyard, it's something else, so make sure you stay tuned for that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we get to any of that, though, we are tracking developments out of Boulder, Colorado. We can put this tear sheet up on the screen. There was an attack that's being described as a terror attack. Eight people injured, set on fire actually in Boulder, Colorado, and they say after man allegedly targets rally for Israeli hostages.
Speaker 4: So this is a group of protesters who's.
Speaker 2: Been gathering, my understanding is on a weekly basis calling for the release and the return of Israeli hostages. And they have a suspect in custody already, forty five year old man identified as Mohammed Sabrey Solomon. A LEDG shift thrown device into a group of people who had assembled in this pedestrianized zone for a peaceful protest for Israeli hostages. And like I said, eight people injured. I believe two had to be airlifted to a special burn unit, so that was kind of the nature of their injuries. And there's a video coming out from the scene. Emily, obviously it's just absolutely horrific, and he was, you know, he seemed frankly quite unwell, but was sort of ranting and rape saying free Palestine. And of course this comes on the heels of that horrific attack here in DC as well, in which the two Israeli embassy staffers were murdered by someone else who also said free Palestine. So this is certainly going to heighten interest in what is going on here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and local news is reporting that one of the victims actually was a Holocaust survivor.
Speaker 4: Mostly elderly, elderly women, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, elderly woman, I think almost everybody who was being burned. So you can see in the videos of the suspect, he's walking around with maltov cocktails and his shirt off. So reportedly according to local news, I think it's Channel nine out there. I'm boulder. At least one of the victims was, and they all are suffering from burns. If you look up the videos, you know, big be careful looking up the videos, they're pretty rough. But if you look up the videos, people were burning, it's a really awful scene. I want to add Crystal Bill Malugin as reporting that three senior DHS sources have told Fox that the Boulder terrorist suspect is an Egyptian national in the US illegally as a visa overstay who entered the US during the Biden administration. Bill says I'm told he arrived at LAX in August of twenty twenty two on a B one B two non immigrant visa with an authorized day through twenty twenty three, but he overstayed and never left. He found some sort of claim with USCIS, potentially an asylum claim, back in twenty twenty two, but in twenty twenty three under the bidenman, USCIS gave him work authorization that though expired in March, so this is coming. It expired March twenty eight, so it's coming in the last couple of months after his work authorization expired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it looks like a visa overstay Egyptian national. So yeah, I mean, you have a horrific attack here, and you have you know, Free of Palestine being yelled protests.
Speaker 4: For Israeli hostages.
Speaker 2: You have someone who's an immigrant Egyptian national visa overstays. So there are a lot of obviously in sundiary political issues that are swirling inside of this, and you know, I would just say that, similar to the attack that we covered here, you know, this is obviously not going to benefit in any way if you care about the cause of freedom, humanity, peace, peace and civilization. This is directly at odds with you know, any movement to free Palestine and or free any human beings around the world. So, you know, and one other thing that I'll say, and this is a point that shile Benefreim was making on Twitter, you know, rather controversially. Obviously, the attackers in both of these attacks are responsible for their horrific actions. As I said before, this man seems sort of unwell, But in any case, they're responsible for their actions. But it is also true that if you're concerned about anti Semitism and hate and violence around the world, you know, Israel intentionally conflating all Jewish people with their own atrocities that they're committing is going to lead to an increase in anti Semitism. And so if you care about the safety of Jewish people, as you certainly should, the actions that are being taken, the genocide that is being committed in Gaza is making Jewish people unsafe everywhere. It is contributing to that horrific climate, especially, as I said, when there is such an overt effort to conflate all Jewish people with the actions of this at this point completely rogue state. So you know, that's I guess my perspective on some of what is unfolding here.
Speaker 3: Just want to underscore the point you made about peace and this not helping anyone anywhere towards the cause of peace. Should add Cash Hotel has said they are investigating this as a targeted terror attack, so much more details to come from that vantage point. What they turn up in the investigation, we will obviously continue to fin that's story.
Speaker 2: Indeed, all right, let's turn to the latest with regard to economic news, and we have jeffs Stein joining us. We are lucky to be joined this morning by the chief economics reporter for the Washington Post, the one and only Jeff Steined. Great Caesar, Hey, thanks for having me back. Yeah, of course, anytime. Let's go and put your latest reporting up here on the screen about Wall Street's concerns with regard to Trump's.
Speaker 4: Big beautiful bill.
Speaker 2: Your headline is wall Street warns Trump aids the GOP tax bill could jolt bond markets and if there's one thing we've seen in this Trump administration, it is the significance and importance and power that the bond markets wheeled. So tell us what you're hearing here.
Speaker 5: So the core of the problem here is that, you know, US interest rates are already very high, and the tax bill could add between estimates very two to five trillion dollars to the deficit. And what that means is the US Treasury Department will have to go out and auction more bonds, auction or debt to cover up the gap between what the US government spends and what it brings in in revenue. The problem is that we've already seen that there's a question about the demand among investors worldwide for these US assets. And the big problem potentially, and you know, it's really hard to know exactly what could happen, but what Wall Street is concerned about, what they're telling us and what they're telling the Trump administration is that if demand for new Treasury debt, these new bond issuance is insufficient, you could see basically the US government have to increase the premium, the yield it's called on what investors recoup and return. So if there's an insufficient demand, the price goes up. Basically what the US government has to pay to get people to buy this debt goes up, and then you can get a really dangerous spike or spiral where borrowing costs rise because the premium that the government has to offer continues to increase. And so that's the core concern here, And just to I know, it sounds probably not that relevant for people's day to day lives, but mortgages, auto loans, things throughout the economy are tied very fundamentally to the price of the bond. And as the yield prices of the new bond goes up, the prices of old bonds collapses. So that means if you are someone who has put a lot of money in your portfolio into bonds, that part of your portfolio could significantly lose its value. That's traditionally considered a very safe investment, right like equity stocks. That's the risky thing crypto, the riskiest bonds is supposed to be what's safe, and that's the reason that that bonds are sort of the core pillar of the global financial system. Thirty trillion dollars in US debt is used to borrow against trade against this to have you know, millions of people retirees safeguard there there hirements in their assets, and so Wall Street is very worried about a potential destabilization in that market, in that sector.
Speaker 3: And Jeff, I want to get your reaction to this clip of Jamie Diamond. We can go ahead and roll the second element and we'll get Jeff's reaction on the back side of it.
Speaker 6: I guess one underlying both that is the enemy within. I'm not as worried about China isn't is a potential adversary. They're doing a lot of things well, they have a lot of problems. What I really worry about is us. Can we get our own act together, our own values, our own capability or own management. What you heard today on stage was the amount of mismanagement is extraordinary by state, by city, for pensions, for and that stuff is going to kill us. And you know, I always get asked this question, what are we going to be the reserve currency? And no, you know, if we are not the pre eminent military and the premitent economy in forty years, we will not.
Speaker 7: Be the reserve currency.
Speaker 8: That's a fact.
Speaker 6: Just read history, you know, now I think we will be you know, Warren Buffett here we tell you one must be resilient.
Speaker 7: I agree with that.
Speaker 6: I think this time is different, this time where you know, we have to get to act together and we have to do it very quickly.
Speaker 3: And so, Jeff, I want to actually that last sentence he just made, that last statement he just made where he says, this time I think is different. That's really interesting with your reporting. So that was Diamond on Friday at the Reagan National Economic Forum. And Jeff, why is it that people like Jamie Diamond still, even after weeks of the Taco conversation, feel like this time truly is different? Is it because they see people like Scott Bessett and Donald Trump is wanting continuing to want to remove the dollar as the world currency. Is that what's really going on behind all of this?
Speaker 5: Yes, just I'll get back to that question one second. I couldn't go without pausing for a second to comment on Jamie Diamond and someone from Wall Street saying, you know, criticizing this management of state and local governments when it's been wide you know, a little less than two decades since Wall Street literally crashed the global economy and the worst crisis and the Great Depression. I mean, the guy, the guys on Wall Street having you know, their their their willingness to say what they think and be heedless of their own reputations is kind of not.
Speaker 4: Waking of speaking of enemies from within.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he takes one to know one. He was worried about pensions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to go back to your question, there has been I think a very interesting shift from the core locus of concern on Wall Street being the tariffs, which are still down here. The effective tariff rate is still eight times what it was before Trump took office. We've seen a huge spike in trade tensions, but he has backed off due to the taco trade. This is the Trump always chickens out joke. That's that's spread on Wall Street. But but you know, despite how big that disruption is, people are now more conc learned about the tax bill and what it could mean, especially when coupled with the trade bill. You know, one thing I think is very clear in that clip, or as clear to me at least, there's a lot of people on Wall Street who want to tell reporters and tell others that they're very worried about the impact of the tax bill on the bond market. What they don't want to do is go out in public and say, hey, Trump administration, we have concerns with who are top economic policy priority because they don't want to be in the Trump administration's crosshairs. So you're seeing Diamond and others go around saying, we got to be really careful about the bond market. Also, you know, the tax bill has some good stuff, has some bad stuff. We'd need to be careful with bonds. But that's that's kind of how they're trying to square the circle here. They're issuing increasingly vocal warnings about the bond market. As you know, Senate is taking up this bill, but they're not they're not out in front of criticizing the Trump administration and the Republican Party about it because you know, for obvious political reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, in the bond market is what got Trump to move off of his most maximus tariff position. So I think they've also identified like a potential weakness an area where you know, if they just come out and bash Donald Trump, yeah, I'm not like defending these people in their cowardice, but they're thinking, okay, strategically, if we just go out and bash Donald Trump. That's probably not going to get us where we want to go. But he clearly has an interest in what happens with the bond market. So maybe if we can make him nervous about that, maybe that will change the landscape. But I mean, the other irony here, Jeff, is like the four trillion dollars that's being added to the deficit is by and large tax cuts four guys like Damie Diamond. So when they're even like, I don't know, I don't know, this may go a little too far, that also, to me is quite is quite stunning. Now, my suspicion is that they would like to still get their tax cut, but just have much more aggressive cuts in the social safety net in order to pay for them.
Speaker 4: But what do you make of that particular dynamic.
Speaker 5: I think that's the right question, Chris. So, you know, this bill does not have the large sort of I mean it has some it has, you know, hundreds of billions of dollars, but in a four trillion or five million dollars bill, Unlike the first tax bill in twenty seventeen, which really was centered on massively reducing the corporate rate from thirty five to twenty one percent, which the first bill did. This bill really showers cash on households primarily or disproportionately. I would argue households with you know, the highest incomes we have. We did a story recently about thirty percent of the tax cuts go to those with over I think it was three or four hundred thousand dollars per year in income. It is slightly a different constituency than you know, the Jamie Diamond. You know, it's it's not necessarily for those businesses on Wall Street themselves, so I'm not sure that this tax cut is as attractive of a package to them. I mean, they do have the rate cuts in there. There are cuts for you know, pass through businesses, which you know, these are people who often have over a million dollars a year in income. There are there's a massive reduction in the estate tax. So there are things for very rich people. But it's a little less I think of a of a grab bag for Wall Street businesses and people like Dimond than the first round of tax cuts was. I think you really hit the nail on the head that they want more spending cuts. So obviously, right if we're talking about the debt, being too big from the tax bill. There's a few options they can spare. They can reduce the amount of tax cuts, but that would require them to either you know, pair back the amount that people at the top are getting, or really like try to do you know, even less of the Trump campaign promises on you know, no tip, taxes on tips, no tax on Social Security. I don't think, given how much of this is already for upper income people, I think it's very unlikely that they move to pair back what is in there for lower and middle income households.
Speaker 3: And that would also be an admission that their tax cuts aren't going to get the growth that they're now saying. The CBO is under estimating the growth.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's a very good point. They now have been saying, like this bill will cut the deficit because it will lead to so much growth in sort of a Laffarian curve way. I think. On the spending cuts, they do have cuts in there on Medicaid and food stamps, but they're already pretty large. And my sense from talking to Republicans on the Hill is that they they they fear the politics of an even bigger cut to healthcare, then they do the politics of the bond market, which could be dicey, but you know, the US has added trillions and trillions and trillions of dollars to stet over and over and over again, and there haven't we haven't seen the bond market freak out that you know, people like you know, the deficit of hawks have been warning about for a long time. So you know, maybe there's still more that they can do without without triggering this sort of So you know, the other thing that we've written about is that they've entertained I mean, Steve Bannon has talked to the president directly. We've reported about raising taxes on millionaires, or at least raising is a bit of an overstatement about basically letting the tax cit that they originally approved for the top income rocket to expire in twenty twenty five. That would basically really get them out of a lot of this bond market chaos they're dealing with. But they don't want to go there because they don't want to raise taxes on the ridge and because Republicans hate that so right, it is a kind of fascinating thing to look at how they're trying to get out of this box.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk a little bit about China, because this is the other big thing that's happening. Put guys first, a five up on the screen. This was Trump's truth social about China, in which he said two weeks ago China was in grave economic danger. The very high terroris I set made it virtually impossible for China to trade into the US marketplace, which is by far number one in the world. We went in effect Cold Turkey with China, and it was devastating for them. Many factories, clothes. There was, to put it, mildly, civil unrest. I saw what was happening and didn't like it for them, not for us. I made a fast deal with China in order to save them from what I thought was going to be a very bad situation.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to see that happen.
Speaker 2: Because of this deal, everything quickly stabilized, China got back to business as usual.
Speaker 4: Everybody was happy. That was the good news.
Speaker 2: The bad news is that China, perhaps not surprisingly to some, has totally violated disagreement with us. So much for being mister nice guy. Can you break down for us, Jeff, what is going on here with Trump and China?
Speaker 4: What the reality is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I had a story about a week ago about what really led Trump to back down on China, and people inside the White House were explaining that basically what happened was it was increasingly clear that the one hundred and forty five percent tariffs on China were not just hitting guys on Wall Street. We're not just hitting sort of people who work at the ports and sort of coastal types, but that they were really affecting trump'space. Truckers and you know, sort of like shippers and people who Trump considers his people were getting sort of clobbed by these tariffs. And that fact we reported created the space for White House officials who didn't like these tariffs to go to Trump and say, hey, your own people, your own base is getting hit by this, so you need to figure out a way to get these things lowered. And that was what led to the talks in Geneva that led to the accord agree to buy Trader Tecerty. To Harry Scott Besson, the thing that Trump is complaining about is that even beyond the tariffs themselves, trying to retaliated by restricting what it were called rare earth metals, which are confusingly not actually that rare, but they are essential. And basically eighty percent of production or facilitation synthesis of these rare earth metals is in China. So basically most of the vastngery of the world's production is there, and they control that supply chain. That's critical for the US defense industry, for US healthcare sector, for all kinds of really critical economic functions. And I don't know enough personally to weigh in on this, but the Trump administration feels that China has not really removed those restrictions that they agreed to in the Switzerland Acords, and that they're still continuing to restrict those essential medals, and that that you know, might not show open the macroeconomic data, but could severely sort of weaken the US defense industrial capacity for a long time. And you know, the President thinks that thought that he had an agreement to get that off the books and doesn't feel like that that has been violated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Jeff, this also gets to this tension that you started by mentioning at the beginning. On the one hand, there's this Trump boys chickens out narrative. On the other hand, as you said, you wrote down the level of tariff, but like the increase of tariffs that we're actually at from the baseline before Donald Trump took over, and you know, maybe he's he's checking out on some of those points or him sure, he would just say it was negotiation. But on the other hand, it actually still has a pretty high level of tariffs relative to everything that came before him.
Speaker 5: And that's actually another really big part of the tax bond market discussion, because if spending cuts of a huge magnitude are politically unpalatable and they feel like they can't really reduce the size of the tax cut itself anymore. Tariffs, I mean, it's been ridiculed, but it is true that the US government has quadrupled or more the amount of revenue it's bringing in through tariffs, and that can offset the fears in the bond market. So, you know, we've seen kind of a stalling of the deals that Trump said he was going to make with the Europeans and the Japanese and the Indians, that all that talk has really slowed down, and I think there's a legitimate question about whether part of that is due to the desire to bring in revenue via these high import duties, which help, you know, it's kind of an obvious point, but those fall quite heavily on lower income Americans who rely, you know, a disproportion to share their spending is on imports of food and you know, other sort of critical necessities, whereas you know, the tax bill disproportionately hurts them with the spending cuts. So it's it's they're really potentially getting pinged on both sides here.
Speaker 4: Jeff, last question for you.
Speaker 2: We had a court last week say, okay, these Liberation Day tariffs, they vastly exceed the authority.
Speaker 4: That you're invoking.
Speaker 2: Here, we had another court say, okay, the Peelsport Court said okay, well, while we're figuring this out, you can still keep the tariffs in place. The Trump administration has been very aggressive in going out and saying that regardless of first of all, they're really mad about the court's decision, but also second of all, they're saying, it doesn't change anything.
Speaker 4: We have other powers we can use.
Speaker 2: So what is your expectation of where we are with regard to Trump and his desire and ability to you know, to levy massive tariffs in whatever way he chooses to.
Speaker 5: So I don't want to bore your listeners anymore than I already have, and especially with like along winded explanation of like the different laws or right here, but to try to give you a quick summary, Trump imposed tariffs immediately under law called AIPO, which is a sort of national security emergency, and that's the one that the courts have targeted as being, you know, beyond the ability of the president. That said, there are other tariff authorities. They're called Section three h one and Section two thirty two tariffs that basically require at first an administrative a you know, investigation. The administration has to go out do a bunch of work and then say, because of that work, now we can do these tariffs. And that work is currently ongoing. It just it just takes a little bit of time. But there's really, I think, very very little doubt that those tariffs can be slowed down by the courts. So even if the courts take off the emergency powers tariffs which they have you know, slowed down, but then we're put back in. Even if that happens, there's still these other terriff authorities that I don't think really anyone questioned their ability to do, and I think those are going to stay, and actually could be even bigger in some ways than the National security teist because those are tariffs on sector, so like every car, every bit of steal, every you know, part of computer. So that's kind of where this is heading. It could circumscribe to some of the flexibility he has, but it doesn't change sort of like the economic fundamentals of what he wants to do.
Speaker 2: Gotcha all right, jefs Sin, thank you so much, and you are never boring, sir.
Speaker 4: We always appreciate your ancise, my pleasure.
Speaker 5: Thanks having great to see you.
Speaker 2: We are very fortunate to be rejoined this morning with Jeremy ska Hill, who of course is co founder of drop site News alongside our very owned Ryan Graham.
Speaker 4: Great to see Jeremy.
Speaker 7: Great to be back.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of developments to go through with you. Let's first of all, put these horrific images up on the screen of I hate even calling it AID distribution, but whatever you want to call this. What you see here first is the dynamic they've set up where Palestinians are just running in Survival of the Fittest Hunger game style to grab.
Speaker 4: Whatever quote unquote AID is available.
Speaker 2: But it turns even more horrific as Israelis began firing on this crowd, killing dozens of people, and you can see them fleeing, you can see.
Speaker 4: Them taking cover here.
Speaker 2: Jeremy, what do we know about what exactly unfolded here? Because I know the Israelis are completely denying that any of this actually occurred.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think it's important to remember what Netnyahu and other members of his work cabinets said at the beginning when we started to learn about this so called Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, and that is that it was never meant to be an actual aid distribution program, that this was meant to offer the veneer of giving humanitarian aid to Palestinians to sort of quiet down some of the critics from within the pro Israel camp internationally, nettnah who specifically said that he had been approached by Republican senators saying that they didn't want the appearance of starvation of the Palestinians of Gaza to affect the ability of the United States to continue funding and arming this war of annihilation. And so we just have to put that out there front and center. From the moment that this launched early last week, there have been dozens of Palestinians killed because Israelis have fired on them, either on their way to get AID or after they've retrieved AID. I personally know a Palestinian family four members were killed last week after they had gone to retrieve one of these small boxes that barely has enough food for their family. They were killed by tank ordinance. According to survivors of the hit against them and what we saw unfold over the weekend, many Palestinians are calling it the Whitcof massacre, named after Steve Whitcoff, the Special Envoy, because anger is mounting inside of Gaza toward Trump and his administration, because they feel like they are just completely taking Israel's side and trying to set the Palestinians up with a so called truce or ceasefire deal that would enable Netanyahu to resume the intensity of the full genocide after either seven days or sixty days. So what we witnessed here was the Israelis unleash gunfire and other attacks on this crowd. And as videos it reports start coming out of Gaza depicting this, and we start hearing international doctors that are on the ground there describing the injuries that they're treating Israel then puts out a video that it says actually shows Hamas was firing on people retrieving aid. Well, that video that the Israelis put out has now been geolocated, and it wasn't near Rafa where this witcough massacre as the Palestinians are calling it occurred, but actually had occurred at a different time, And it wasn't Hamas that was actually firing on Palestinians. It was a private gang that there's significant evidence to suggest is being bankrolled or backed by the Israelis to operate as kind of an armed thug force that is selling aid to Palestinians.
Speaker 7: So, you know, the final thing I'll say on.
Speaker 9: This crystal is that David Saderfield, who was President Biden's top humanitarian aid official and a very very militantly pro Israel guy, recently said on a national interview on CNN that there's no evidence whatsoever that he saw during his entire time when he was a senior Biden administration official that Hamas is hoarding any significant quantities of aid or is engaged in any of the kinds of activities that the Israelis are accusing them of.
Speaker 7: So clearly here.
Speaker 9: What we've seen is a massacre of Palestinians who were lured into this so called aid trap, where the actual point of it ultimately was set out in the open by Netanyahu. Forced Palestinians into an ever small, shrinking killing cage, and then for them to depend on the food inside of that killing cage so that you can either kill more of them or ultimately implement what they keep calling Trump's plan, which is to forcibly deport Palestinians from Gaza.
Speaker 3: And Jeremy, can I get your reaction? Help us parse be too. This is Ryan's tweet. He actually said the statement from the IDEF about last night's massacre was distributed to journalists, and because Ryan didn't agree to be off the record and this wasn't sent directly to him from the IDF, he actually just posted what was supposed to what the IDEAF wanted to remain quote unquote off the record, and their statement says, approximately one kilometer away from the humanitary aid distribution site and outside the operating hours of the humanitary aid distribution site, IDF troops acted to prevent several suspects from approaching the troops. During the activity, warning shots were fired towards several suspects who advanced toward the troops. There's no connection between this incident and the false claims made against the IDF, So Jeremy, on the one hand, what we're seeing there is an admission of military action from the IDF. Right, that's part of the statement. So can you help us understand how Israel is explaining what happened?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm really glad that Ryan posted this because it sort of opens this window into what happens behind the scenes that most of the public in the world has never allowed access to, and that is that Israel will send out official statements that make a certain claim in a very clear way, and then they'll sort of brief journalists off the record, not on background, off the record, as a way of trying to ensure that this narrative, as false as it may be, penetrates into the coverage. And you see these repeated, these claims repeated all the time by journalists. I mean, the track record now is a nineteen month track record where Palestinians videotape witness and then tell the world what has happened.
Speaker 7: They're smeared as being hamas fake or.
Speaker 9: Fabricated videos or out out of context videos or mistranslated documents are then presented to the public, and then it sort of seems like it's a well Hamas says this, and the good guys say that, and you even see Israeli officials saying, who do you want to believe? Hamas or an American run aid organization and the Israeli military. So you know, what Ryan did was sort of allow people to see, just for a moment, the way that the propaganda is manufactured and the reality is emily that all throughout this genocide, we've seen this repeated over and over and over about massive tunnels under hospitals, Hamas using protective facilities as military bases. Israel has never been able to produce evidence for the most incendiary claims that it's made, and they're relying on the fact that many media outlets will take the testimony of Palestinians and accept that that's Hamas's narrative. You know, many people in Palestine are from different political factions. Hamas did not win one hundred percent of the vote the last time that they had a democratic election.
Speaker 7: You know, many of the people.
Speaker 9: That Israel is killing in its war aren't even members of Hamas not not to mention like military members. Palestine is a diverse society and I think it really speaks to the effect of the dehumanization campaign that the Israeli military can put out a video that has nothing to do with a massacre that it committed, and so many news outlets and just people on social media accept Israel's word for it, when nineteen months of context and history indicate that you should never believe the first draft ever of what Israel says unless they provide indisputable evidence, which they never do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the hope is just to push off to make the conversation and the telling of facts contested, and by the time there's any conclusive investigation, everybody's moved on. I mean, that's really the goal here, is that I don't think that they believe that if there was actually an investigation here by the New York Times or whoever, with the limited ability they had to penetrate into Gaza, that they would come to the conclusion that, oh, yeah, Israel was correct. I don't think they believe that. They just want to push that reckoning off into the future and then it's contested and by the time you know, any sort of actual like definitive conclusion is reached by the sanctioned official outlets. Everyone's moved on to the next thing. I want to go ahead and get you to walk us through what's going on with the ceasefire negotiations and put the tear sheet up on the screen here, guys of Jeremy's report. Your headline here is how Israel and Witkof are trying to strong arm Hamas into a deal that does not end the genocide. And you go point by point through what it was that Witkoff or Hamas and the administration had agreed to, and then what the Israeli are pushing for in this quote unquote deal. And seems like there's a number of things here that are meant to be poison pills. So just walk us through the dynamics and some of the critical differences between these two drafts.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, first of all, starting a month or so ago, you had direct talk between Hamas and an unusual envoy for the Trump administration, a Palestinian American academic named Bashara Baba, who was a lifelong Democrat that broke with the Democratic Party even before Kamala Harris became the nominee and had denounced Joe Biden as genocide Joe and said that he felt that Palestinians would have a better chance of ending the war under Donald Trump. And he's actually been very critical of Trump publicly, which is unusual in the.
Speaker 7: Sort of Trump world.
Speaker 9: But he started an open channel with Hamas to try to work on the Eadon Alexander deal. The American citizen who had been in the Israeli military was taken on October seventh, and they successfully did make a deal to release him, and there was supposed to be a lifting of israel siege as a result of that, Trump publicly calling for a ceasefire. That didn't happen, but the discussions continued, and basically what happened is that the Americans worked with Hamas and they said, why don't you lay out for us what your terms would be for a ceasefire, but it has to fit within this category, and Witkoff and Baba made clear to Hamas what the kind of bottom lines were. Hamas then delivers a thirteen point proposal that fit in line with what the American said. This was last Sunday on May twenty fifth. Hamas then announced that it has made an agreement with the United States for a framework for negotiating a ceasefire. Now, in a mediation process or a negotiation process, this is very common. One side drafts something, the mediators look at it, they say, Okay, we're going to go down back to the other side. So they were told, yes, this is acceptable, this fits within the American requirements.
Speaker 7: Now we're going to go to Israel.
Speaker 9: And my sources within Hamas have said that the Americans said, we're going to try to push Israel on these terms. So then Hamas waits. Two days later, Donald Trump is in the Oval office. He summons Steve Whitcoff to come up in front of the press, and Witkof had denounced Hamas, saying that what they had given as a proposal was unacceptable, which from Hamas's perspective, was crazy because this wasn't meant to be an ultimatum. It was sort of a start point from where what Hamas's position would be. So Witkoff then says, oh, we're on the precipice of sending out.
Speaker 7: A new term sheet.
Speaker 9: He called it to use like a business term instead of a framework for a ceasefire. And what then happens two days later, is they they then come up with what was a draft that was primarily written by Ron Dermer, Netanyahu's top advisor and lead official doing these negotiations, and what they basically did was return to all of Israel's ultimatums. The bottom line on this is that Hamas has made many concessions in this back and forth, but they've identified as as minimal red lines that they want a clear path to an end to the genocide. They've said in their own proposal that the moment a ceasefire agreement is signed, Hamas will totally relinquish governing authority.
Speaker 7: And all power in Gaza.
Speaker 9: This is this is extraordinary to see this in the document, because it's Hamas on the record saying we will relinquish power in favor of an independent Palestinian committee of technocrats. When we then obtained all three versions of these proposals that we published in full last week, and what's extraordinary is that the Israeli proposal.
Speaker 7: Took that out. It took out of.
Speaker 9: The ceasefire framework Hamas agreeing to immediately relinquish governing authority of Gaza the moment a ceasefire is signed and you know, there's some theories that you know that that have been floating around for some time that Netnya who wants Hamas to remain in power because he can easily demonize them as a terrorist organization.
Speaker 2: I mean, has it He effectively said exactly that in.
Speaker 7: The past it's complicated.
Speaker 9: Netnya, who has for certain strategic reasons, said that the you know, the only way to thwart a unified Palestinian state is to keep Hamas in power in Gaza. But there are many other layers to the context of what happened at the at the time that we could go into if you want. But yes, there are there's certainly are benefits to having a party in power that you have effectively dehumanized, demonized that is listed on the State Department list of terrorist organizations, the British designation as a terrorist organization.
Speaker 7: But I think it's much deeper.
Speaker 9: They even are saying it's unacceptable for Mahmudabas, the head of the Palestinian authority, to be in charge in Gaza, and he has basically acted as an agent of the occupation. That's how he's widely seen among Palestinians. So it's not just about Hamas, it's that Israel doesn't want Palestinians in control of Palestine at all. And you know, that's really what I think the game is here. It's not just about Hamas. It's that we don't want a Palestinian committee. They want probably a puppet sort of coalition of certain Arab nations that have normalized relations with Israel to be the ones that come in as an outside force. They don't want Palestinians in charge of their own political destiny or to continue forward with a path of a national liberation struggle.
Speaker 3: And from the US, the perspective of US interests the deal that you just laid out, Jeremy, you know, if you're the Trump administration, if you're Eve Whitkough and you're continuing to get pushed by Israel as they remove the provision that you just mentioned, it seems like US interests are actually being thwarted. And that's separate from what all the disagreements that the three of us have with the Trump administration's position throughout this entire process. But it just seems like US interests are sort of obviously being sidelined or harmed here in this negotiation process.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean there were indications going back to Trump's first term and the way he interacted with Mahmudabas from the Palestinian authority, things that Trump has said also to Arab Americans. There are indications that Trump understands that the Palestinians struggle for liberation or statehood has very clearly not identified the United States as a party it wants to be at war with. It's why Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad are not conducting any attacks outside of the boundaries of historic Palestine. And I think objectively speaking, it would be in the US interest to have a stable, independent Palestinian state that has good relations with the United States. As you know, Emily, as well as any journalist covering this, there are multiple camps in Trump world, and I think what we're seeing here is that the most militant, hardline kind of Zionist camp within Trump's political network, his administration, and his financiers of his campaign, they don't want any Palestinian state. You know, people like Mariam Adelson and Mike Hackabee don't believe there's a such thing as Palestinians. But you know, Ryan Grim and I have also heard from sources within the administration that are in a different camp, that are in an anti interventionist camp, that believe that the United States should not be entangled in foreign wars, that are growing increasingly concerned about Witkoff's conduct.
Speaker 7: You know, that the idea that he's.
Speaker 9: Morphing into an Antony Blinken type figure, when at the beginning he seemed to have some spine, He seemed to be willing to summon Net Yahoo and make him understand America has limits with you. Now there is still some hope I think, not just among you know, the Palestinians that are negotiating this, but more broadly that eventually Trump is going to understand that allowing Net and Yahoo to be in control of agreements that clearly the United States can have the final word on is counter to American interest. It is not actually in the US interests to have someone setting fires all over the Middle East. I mean, really fascinating. When Trump was asked about Iran at that press conference in the Oval Office last week where he had summoned whitcof to make the Gaza comments, he was asked by reporters, you know about what did you say to Net Yahoo and Trump basically set it out loud. I told him to back off, you know, so again, you know, people often attack me and they say, oh, why are you believing what Trump says, or why are you believing what Witcoff says.
Speaker 7: I'm not believing anything. I'm reporting accurately on it.
Speaker 9: And I'm sorry that you think that reporting factually on Donald Trump and an issue of massive consequence somehow means that I'm like getting tricked by the Trump administration. This is called basic journalism, and we're going to continue doing it.
Speaker 2: Speaking of basicjournalism, I think that's a good transition to Jake Tapper and his appearance on Bill Maher's show over the weekend, and he asked he got asked about the student protests, the pro Palestine student protests that have been happening on college campuses since the outbreak of this genocide, and he gave an answer that has elicited a lot of interest. So let's go ahead and take a listen to what he had to say.
Speaker 10: It has to do with an academic theology of oppressor and oppressed. If you only look at the world as oppressor versus oppressed, you then have to choose in a conflict this group is the oppressor. This group is the oppressed. It's also why, for example, there have been conflicts on other college campuses. We're gay students have protested things that are going on in Muslim countries having to do with the LGBT community community in those countries, and the gay students are made to be the oppressor because a lot of them are white. And that's also what's going on when it comes to the Israeli Palestinian conflict. The Israelis are made to be the oppressor of the Palestinians, the oppressed, and.
Speaker 5: On and on and on.
Speaker 10: And that's part of what's going on at Harvard, that theology that we have looking at the world.
Speaker 2: What do you make of that explanation for the motivation behind these protests.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, look, part of the reason why we're seeing such fribrant activism on college campuses, such uncompromising principal positions, is that young people's brains are not contaminated by the likes of people like Jake Tapper, who have just been conveyor belts for propaganda from the very moment that this genocidal war began. Their brains are not poisoned by this dogmatic adherence to the conventions of imperial foreign policy, which, unfortunately Jake Tapper has totally morphed in to a spokesperson for the greatest excesses of imperialism during the past nineteen months. And also sometimes the truth is just true. No one with a brain in their head can look objectively at what has happened over the past nineteen months and come to any conclusion but that Israel is the oppressor in this case. They are burning children alive. They are tricking people to come to aid, to get aid, and then drone striking them, hitting them with tanks, firing bullets upon them. They're bombing hospitals, They're shredding children. This morning, I saw a girl who looked like she was about six or seven years old. Her body was completely severed in half. Every single day we are watching Palestinian children burned alive with American weapons, and Jake Tapper has the audacity to use the phrase academic theology. The theology that Jake Tapper and people like him subscribe to is this deference to the lie filled agenda of the most powerful and violent forces on earth.
Speaker 7: It's shameful, but their day is over. Their day is over.
Speaker 9: Because shows like this are spreading because independent news outlets refuse to be conveyor belts for the lives of the powerful. Jake Tapper is grasping at straws because his era is done.
Speaker 3: It's just galling, especially as somebody on the right to listen to Jake Tapper make that argument at this point after years of just horrible, horrible coverage that I mean, the point of the oppressed oppressor dichotomy, Jeremy, and this is interesting is the problem is that you have these blanket applications of it, and Tapper there he doesn't quite understand what he's saying because he brings in this idea that the gay students are being condemned as oppressors because they're white, and then says that's the same lens that's being applied in Israel Palestine, and it's like, dude, you don't even understand this idea that you are now condemning as the source of the poison, the source of the all bad things happening here. The point is, sometimes people actually are oppressors, and sometimes people actually are oppressed, not all of the time, but sometimes, and yes, some people take it too far and apply it universally, but sometimes it's actually true, and he seems to just be unable to understand that a lot of young people aren't like this is a great point that you made, Jeremy. A lot of young people aren't even pay attention to see in it, and they have no idea what he's saying.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I think, you know, we're in a moment where political alignments have shifted, and I think that there's you know, also the issues around cancel culture and around speech. I think that anyone that genuinely believes in this doesn't believe in censoring the speech of people who are on the far right that they disagree with. I think that people who genuinely believe in free speech aren't against censoring those on the far left.
Speaker 7: And I think that genuinely.
Speaker 9: People who are in support of free speech should be on the front lines right now of this vicious attack on speech related to Palestine. You know, one of the things that I always have held on to I have many criticisms of the United States. We have what I believe is the best speech laws on the books of any country in the world, and they are worth fighting for. Yes, the idea that the notion of free speech was not only enshrined in the Constitution, but has been upheld by conservative and liberal justices throughout history. That's worth protecting with everything that we have. And so you know, people like Jake Tapper are actually much more in alignment in many ways with people on the far right or in the Trump administration that are trying to demonize or criminalize the speech of people that are speaking out against Israel's genocidal war. I think people from all factions should realize that the time when your principle is shown is not when speech is being curbed against people you agree with. That it's being curbed or attacked against people with whom you have vehement disagreements. That's what actually shows what your principles are.
Speaker 2: The other irony here is that, Okay, not only if you're applying the oppressor oppressed lens here like and you are pro palestime, you were applying it correctly, but it's also ironic to me because people like Tapper and you know Israelis and defenders of Israel, they are the most abusive of the oppressor oppressed narrative because basically the paradigm that they use to try, especially with like you know, to keep liberals on side is to say, remember what happened to Jews in the Holocaust, which of course was absolutely atrocious and nobody wants to see or feel like never again should be real. But then they just keep this one group of people in the perpetual victim category, no matter how circumstances change, no matter what the reality is, no matter what that group of people is doing. So, you know, and the other piece of this, of course, is that people like Tapper conflate all Jewish people, yes with Israel, and all Jewish people with being you know, supportive of Israeli actions, which we also know is completely false and untrue, and also place into actually the very simplistic like victim narrative that he perpetuates and propagates with his propaganda.
Speaker 3: And Jeremy before we toss that too, I just want to add the oppressor oppressed ecotomy, which you know he's ten years late to saying, oh, maybe this is the thing that's happening among young people in college, like it's more of a millennial thing than it is a zoomer thing. But anyway, all this to say, it's about power, the sort of Marxist I don't even want to use his term theology behind it, but it's about power dynamics, and that's where he also is completely clueless as to how this is or is not being applied in that case as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean to go back also to what, you know, what Crystal just said earlier. You know, you look at the recent protest organized by Jewish anti war activists to occupy Trump Tower. Fox News reported that as an anti Semitic protest in Germany, You've had numerous Jews arrested in Germany on anti Semitic hate speech charges, including Jewish people living in Germany who are Israeli citizens. I mean, this has become such a kind of lethal parody of the notion of what free speech is. And let us never forget that the you know, the United States, all of us who grew up in the United States, at every event, it's we're reminded of the greatest generation. We're reminded of the sacrifices of World War Two. This is the origin of what we're witnessing now. When the United States and European countries decided to impose a European settler colonial state on Palestinian land. That's historical context that matters. And at the end of the day, the position that the supporters of Israel's genocidal war take is that nothing can justify October seventh, but October seventh justifies everything. And this is a massive historical lie that necessitates people believing that history began on October seventh. It's a huge mistake for us not to take into account the seventy seven years of history that led up to this. Whatever anyone's political position is on this, let's debate based on facts and historical accuracy and not just invent our own paradigm where Israel equals Judaism. Masses of Jews around the world have been at the forefront of opposing this genocide and it's a total insult to the Jewish faith for net and Yahoo to pretend that his war of annihilation is somehow being done in the name of a religion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is all so well said Jeremy Skahill. Always great to have you, sir, Thank.
Speaker 7: You, Thank you both for all your work.
Speaker 2: Ukraine was able to pull off quite a stunning surprise drone attack within Russia, deep inside of Russia, on Russian air bases. We can put some of these images up on the screen that have come out. So a swarm of drones that had been smuggled into the country, and I'll give you some more details of the operation just a moment. We're able to attack a bunch of Russian warplanes. Now the Ukrainians are claiming that over forty of these Russian warplanes were hit in an operation that is being called Spiderweb.
Speaker 4: And this is some of the video that.
Speaker 2: They released where you can see these fighter jets that are on fire and had been targeted. This happened at not just one base, but another of them, even as far away as Siberia, so they were able to penetrate deep inside of Russian territory and you know, strike a significant blow against Russia's offensive air capabilities, including some of these warplanes, are you know, critical in terms of the nuclear triad.
Speaker 4: Here you have.
Speaker 2: This gets to some of the details of the operations. You can see these drones flying out of these semi trucks that had been positioned in strategic places.
Speaker 4: The expectation is that.
Speaker 2: The drivers of these trucks may not have even known what they were transporting. These drones were sealed and they're tiny things.
Speaker 4: You could see there. They look like I mean, they look like children's toys.
Speaker 2: They were sealed inside of the top of these crates, so you had like the crate and then right there was like a false lid on the crate where the drones were inside of there. And then there was an ability for the Ukrainians to remote control open the lid of these crates and release these drones. Again you can see one of them and how small they are into the air to go and hit their targets. The Ukrainians are saying that this operation was more than eighteen months in the making, and you know, obviously context here is you have some negotiations that are ongoing.
Speaker 4: You also have Russians.
Speaker 2: The Russians have been able to take a significant amount of territory in recent days and putin seems you know, pretty intransigent in terms of bending at all in the context of peace negotiations. So you know, this could be an attempt to demonstrate, hey, we still have a lot of capability and we can still cause you pain even deep within your own territory.
Speaker 4: Can put these this tear sheet up on the screen.
Speaker 2: I'll just read a little bit of this and make sure I have all the details right. Ukraine claims massive drone strike on Russian bombers in Spiderweb operation audacious attack targeted forty one strategic Russian aircraft. Again, this is according to the Ukrainians. The Russians are downplaying the damage. We don't know exactly what the number is, but clearly they were able to commit some damage here to the Russian fleet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ukraine cleaning two billion dollars. Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ukraine security service that it struck more than forty Russian bombers deep inside Russian territory and what would be one of the largest and most audacious attacks on Russian territory in the years long conflict. A source within the security service of Ukraine told NBC News the country targeted forty one strategic Russian aircraft. The source also released dramatic video purportedly showing a drone attack at an airbase located in Siberia, nearly three thousand miles from Ukraine. The video captures bombers under attack, with explosions visible and smoke rising.
Speaker 4: From the scene.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the videos that we just showed you. And as Emily just said, they are claiming two billion dollars in damage. So obviously a very dramatic and sophisticated attack, also one that has potentially troubling implications when you're talking about a nuclear armed superpower being made to feel very insecure within its own territory. And I know that it's sort of obnoxious to talk this way when Russia is bombing and bombarding Ukraine for years at this point, but we also have to acknowledge the reality of the situation and how dangerous and fraught it Ultimately is something that people like us have been warning about for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, to your point, people have been making obvious comparisons between the Beeper attack and this one. Yes, the crimea bridge also that was people may remember that was a truck. It was an explosion from a truck that was years ago at this point. But the infiltration of civilian infrastructure, this was more than three thousand miles away I think you already mentioned this, but more than three thousand miles away, as far as Siberia from Kiev. So incredible from a military perspective, and military experts have looked at that and said, this not only is just remarkable technologically, but this changes literally changes the game. This changes the future of warfare because again, you can remotely detonate things with three thousand plus miles of distance between you and in this case of truck, and completely change a war that's been going on for years and years. And Russia had been crystal noted this bombarding Ukraine hard in the days before this, a lot of Ukrainian service members had died. So there's peace negotiations happening today, actually right now in Istanbul. I want to put this next element on the screen. This is c three conflicting reports about whether the United States knew. So this is Jennifer Jacobs of CBS saying administration sources told her that the White House was not aware that today's large scale drone attack by Ukraine on the Russian military aircraft was coming. That's also quite an interesting aspect of this happening right before major peace negotiating negotiations at the same time. And we can put the next element, this is our no Bertrand saying essentially, it's the same type of action as Israel's pager attack, turning civilian supply chains into potential weapon delivery systems and making them inherently suspect our not goes on to say it should be deeply troubling to anyone thinking through the sheer irresponsibility of the precedent set and Christally you put this really well that it's it's not an easy point to make when we're talking about Ukraine defending itself and responding to days of bombardment that killed its service members. But the precedent being set in the midst of war is troubling because it's in that sort of fog of war. It's in the fog of uncertainty of war and desperation and going forward it is really frightening.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing is I mean, I think in a lot of ways the genie is out of the bottle with I mean these the drones we showed you what they look like, small, inexpensive off the shelf. You know, this isn't just some you know, a superpower that would be able to procure and deploy these killing machines. You have you know, parallels not only to the Pager attack, but I also was thinking back to the tech that was used on October seventh by hamas they also used low budget off the shelf drones to to destroy and debilitate this multi million dollar, elaborate high tech security fence that Israel had put into place, complete with automatic machine guns, and so they were able to disable the sensors and the cameras.
Speaker 4: And that was the start of October seventh.
Speaker 2: So, you know, like I said, in some ways, I don't I don't think there's any putting this genie back in the bottle. But when you think about you know, nonstate actors, when you think about terror and what they could do with this sort of you know, relatively low tech, relatively inexpensive tech. And then the other piece of this that our NO is really pointing to there, and this this part is you know a little bit different than the like, you know, the the terror networks, et cetera, because of the extensive coordination that would be involved. Not to say it's impossible, but the infiltration of civilian supply lines. I mean, this has long been considered completely out of bounds in terms of war fighting, and you know, it appears like that was involved here in this Ukrainian attack with Russia. And so you have not only the you know, troubling context of going after Russia's nuclear triad and Russia being a nuclear power, and you know, at a particularly fraught moment in terms of this this ongoing horrific war. But then you also have what this spells in terms of the future of warfare. And if you are the global superpower as we are, with a one trillion dollar defense budget, as we are about to be, you have to grapple with the fact that you know, nearly any actor around the world could acquire this technology and deploy it for horror, teror killing and death anywhere in the world. Right, So, you know, I think that should be really I think that should be unsettling for everyone here and abroad and in Russia and Ukraine and everywhere else because of what it means in terms of the ability of even small ragtag groups to inflict death and suffering on anyone they want.
Speaker 3: And again, so, Jennifer Jacobs of CBS also reported that administration sources told her that there was no intelligence sharing that the US and charity intel and it's with Zelenski and Ukraine for Operation Spider's Web. According to Admin sources talking to Jennifer Jacobs, Ukraine gathered its own information.
Speaker 4: So this is I'm a little skeptical, but yeah, and.
Speaker 3: I'm wondering so, and I wonder if that's she's citing Trump administration sources. Curious also if there are Ukrainian sources that are making this sound like it was completely companion or on the other hand, is this the US saying that this is Ukraine so that it can continue the negotiations with sort of the I mean neutrality is not the right word, but that sense of diplomacy that's being brought to the negotiations. So no idea about that, but it does raise the question, similarly to what's happened in Israel, about you know, actors who could not be prosecuting these wars without massive funding and resources from the United States acting independently in ways that if you're Ukraine and you have different goals for how this war should end from the person who's funding the war or the country, I should say, is funding the war to the tune of billions and billions of dollars, and you're not on the same page about it, Maybe you're going to do things and keep them private that can escalate during peace negotiations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that start. I think it's a possibility. I wouldn't take it face value. The Administration's claims that they had no idea in advance, because to your point, both the Trump administration and the Ukrainians have an incentive to make it look like we had no involvement, because for the Ukrainians it's a projection of strength, like, look, we don't even need the US.
Speaker 4: Look what we're able to do on our own.
Speaker 2: This you know, highly complex, and it certainly was required long term planning, you know, did require some you know, tech in terms of being able to deploy these things from the trucks where they were stored potentially for months and months, we don't exactly know. So the Ukrainians want to be able to say, like, look what we can do, and we don't even need our big brother and our greatest ally, the US. The US wants to keep their hands clean, so they both have an incentive even if there was US involvement, to say that there wasn't. However, it is also possible that, you know, the Ukrainians are acting independently in a sort of I mean actually rogue way, which is also a disturbing possibility in and of itself. I didn't give it as much attention, but there were also two Ukrainian attacks recently within Russia that targeted bridges and caused actually some civilian deaths within Russia as well, and that hasn't been I think the reason it hasn't been reported as much is because the Ukrainians haven't, I believe, claimed responsibility for those attacks.
Speaker 4: So it's still somewhat disputed.
Speaker 2: But the understanding, you know, if you read the global press and if you read the Russian press, is they believe that these were both targeted by Ukraine, which does follow and does make sense based on other operations from the Ukrainian security services within the State of Russia. I mentioned this before, but I do think that this is important just to underscore put C five up on the screen. This also did not get a lot of attention in the Western press. But Russia has just seized somewhere around two hundred kilometers, made significant advances in Ukrainian territory in recent days and looks like they're setting up for what they're describing as a fresh ground offensive. So you know, there's been a massive Russian bombardment throughout Ukraine and there has been evacuations. The reason they think it looks like it's you know, setting up for a new Russian ground invasion. There have been evacuations of some of these villages near the front lines in preparation for you know, potential escalation in terms of the ground invasion. So again place into the context here, you've got Zelenski going into these peace negotiations does not have a particularly strong hand because of wariness among the American public and among the Republican Party and potentially among in the Trump administration, although it kind of depends on the day of continuing to fund and arm them to the hilt as has been done. Although so far the Trump administration has basically continued the Biden era policy, but you know that is not certain in the way that it was under Joe Biden whatsoever. So you have that, then you have the fact that the Russians just have so much war state, industrial capacity and just so many more bodies to throw at this conflict. You have some will within the Ukrainian people waning just because of the brutal toll that this war has taken on, you know, Ukrainian men in particular, and their difficulty being able to get new recruits and actually like unconscionable tactics that have been used to round up Ukrainian men and send them to the front lines here. So you have Zelenski going to these negotiations with a relatively weak hand, and I think you know it's pretty obvious this is an attempt to try to demonstrate listen, we can still cause you pain even if you think that time is on your side and capacity is on your side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, playbook. Actually there's a direct line from the playbook author this morning, Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky. It seems holds more cards than Trump gave him credit for their headline and playbook this morning.
Speaker 4: But that was the point of the rush and Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 3: That's the headline and playbook this morning.
Speaker 2: I mean that seems a little I mean, the Ukrainian's beIN really far well. And I also saw people pointing out like, okay, so if you're the Japanese in this scenario, yeah, doing the Pearl Harbor, right, But what happens great working that happens next is not really that great for you.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, great work, team, No, I mean, it's like, what's happening right now, it's it's actually directly related to the negotiations. Everyone trying to get the cards on the table in order to make it look like they have cards and to not look like they're hiding any cards as the negotiations. Negotiations are ongoing. So it's really awful to see escalation right now. But if you're Ukraine, and I don't mean that about this particular Ukrainian attack a though the president I do find very frightening. But they've been getting bombarded over the last several days, so you understand the timing of it. Absolutely, we will see if the toothpaste can ever be put back in the tube, but I'm deeply skeptical of that. Crystal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very difficult situation at this point to try to imagine how this is going to be resolved. I mean, however, it's possible we just continue in this kind of like endless back and forth with Russia continuing to gains slowly over time, and you end up with basically it failed Ukrainian state. I mean, that's kind of what it looks like it's heading towards right now, unless there is some sort of a dramatic development. But you know, I also have to say a lot of war analysts, military analysts have been quite right wrong about this conflict.
Speaker 4: At every turn. And while you know, if you look at.
Speaker 2: The industrial might of Russia versus Ukraine, if you look at just the manpower of Russia versus Ukraine, you come to a pretty clear conclusion about who has the upper hand. But I mean, with this type ability to commit this type of attack, and with the modern warfare dynamics that Emily and I were just talking about, where you can use low budget, off the shelf tech, you know, those things can help to level the playing field, especially when you're talking about a group of people who are fighting for where's it's truly existential, and where you are fighting for your homeland. I mean, the US has learned this lesson many times before. Come in with all the military might in the world, but it's no simple thing to dislodge people's sense of pride and nationalism and commitment to the homeland. So, you know, I think it's I just I think everyone should be very cautious about making any sort of predictions about what the military future of this conflict ultimately looks like, because there are more variables here than just the okay you add of the Russian industrial might, the manpower X plus y equal z. There are more complex factors going in here, and in some ways that's precisely what this Ukrainian attack really demonstrates.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we'll see what happens over the course of today with negotiations set to continue in assemble another you know, thing to feel less than optimistic about.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, yeah, unfortunately. So all right, let's get to the latest with Elon.
Speaker 3: On his way out the door, Elon Musk stop by CBS Sunday morning. This is just a couple of days. The interview aired just a couple of days after Elon Musk did a joint press conference I guess if you could call it that in the Oval Office with Donald Trump. We have clips from that as well. But just yesterday he sat down with CBS News and want to play some clips from that interview, and then we'll get to some clips from the Oval Office as well. This is D one.
Speaker 10: I noticed that all of your businesses involved a lot of components, a lot of parts.
Speaker 5: Do the tariffs and the trade wars affect any of this? You know, tariffs affect things a little bit.
Speaker 11: Wondering what your thought is on the ban on foreign students, the proposal.
Speaker 5: I mean, you were one of those kids, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 12: Mean, I think we want to stick to, you know, the subject of the day, which is like spaceships as opposed to know, presidential policy.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, I was sold anything's good.
Speaker 12: But no, Well, now you know, it's not like I agree with everything uh the administration is. So it's like there's I mean, I agree with much of what the administration does, but we have differences of opinion. You know, there's things that I I don't entirely agree with, but it's difficult for me to bring that up in an interview because then it creates a bone of contention. So then I'm a little stuck in a bind where I'm like, well, I don't want to, you know, speak up against the administration, but I don't want to because I also don't want to take responsibility for everything the administration is doing.
Speaker 3: So really interesting actually set of questions to Elon Musk their crystal and in the defense of the reporter, the CBS reporter, which is not a sentence I thought I would ever say, but in defense of the CPS the reporter. There basically, even if you want to talk about spaceships with Elon Musk, you're still going to be talking about terras, of course, and the combination of Elon's even and people talk about Tesla a lot, but even I mean the combination, particularly of a space business, it is so coupled, it is so intertwined with the United States government that it's you wouldn't be able to do that interview. I mean what Elon Musk ended up saying there, and that's what I'm curious to get your thought on, is essentially that he just shouldn't have sat down for the interview because he's saying, there's no way for me to talk about any of this without looking like I'm weighing in on the politics of it. And I wonder, Crystal, if this is something that he's realizing increasingly is a problem after getting involved with politics six plus months ago, seeing his businesses take a hit, and then realizing, hey, I should probably go focus back over here. It's interesting to see that happening as he's stepping back from DC completely.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing about the second part of that, So the first part of that is just so awkward, Like how could you sit for an interview with any one and think you're not going to get questions about the Trump administration?
Speaker 3: Is wild? But even if they say they're just going to talk about space, you still have to talk about the administration.
Speaker 2: But d seven up on the screen, Like Trump just yanked this NASA nominee who was a close Elon ally and I mean basically was installed by Elon in this position, and now that Elon's on his way out, Trump is using this excusively. Oh I found out he gave to Democrats. I'm sure like that information was widely available before. He's using it as an excuse to now that Elon's gone, like, okay, you don't get your dude in at NASA. But like, obviously that is deeply political. The SpaceX mission is going does require and already depends in substantial part on government money. So there is no way to disentangle Elon Musk, his company's, his spaceships, and what is going on in the Trump administration. But you know, even putting that piece aside, the second part of that clip where he starts talking about, well, you know, I don't agree with everything they do, and so I'm in this place, and you know, I don't want it to look like I'm co signing everything. But then again, I don't want to look like I'm a critic, which is fair by the way he actually brings that up himself, right, That wasn't even at the prodding of the reporter. So even without you know, the reporter then explicitly asking questions about the Trump administration, Elon himself can't disentangle who he is, what he's doing, his businesses, and what's going on in terms of politics.
Speaker 3: It makes me wonder, genuinely how much he thought that he was going to steer the ship of the Trump administration. Because Trump, if you were listening to if you if you listen to a single Trump rally, if you listened ten seconds of any Trump rally, you had realized the man was completely deadly serious about tariffs the entire time. It always has been. And so it genuinely makes me wonder if Elon Musk thought that, by putting so much money into the election and coming into DC and being coronated as the King of Doge, that Trump would maybe give some deference to Elon Musk on a lot of these priorities that are just totally out of line with the crypto libertarian and ethos that Musk and I should say ideology that Musk wants the Republican Party to look more like. And now that he's sort of on his way out, there's this very obvious conflict in what he's saying. Like it's actually fair that when you start to talk about these things, first of all, you move markets, you look like you have inside information, because you do, you look like maybe you're trying to put your thumb on the scale. Like all of those frustrations are perfectly accurate. But that's the obvious reason that people don't get too involved in politics to the point where they've become a special, special government employee, because those problem those those problems, like even from a business perspective, are so obvious.
Speaker 2: I mean, he put in two hundred and fifty plus million dollars into Trump's campaign and you know, was critical potentially in Trump winning that election, and focused a lot of his efforts in Pennsylvania, which was the critical swing state. And so I think he believed that he could basically do what he wanted, and for a while he could, you know, for a while he did come in And this is also you know, someone who sees himself as the only main character and this sort of like great civilizational figure, I mean, is truly how he views himself and he views his project of getting to Mars and you know, through via SpaceX and the need to marshal vast government resources in order to do that, I think as a central driving desire. I think also something he did accomplished during his time in Washington. A central driving desire is to get all of these various regulatory agencies off of his back and make it so that he's not facing labor violation complaints and Tesla doesn't have to be regulated.
Speaker 4: And if he goes.
Speaker 2: Forward with VISA over at X, that the CFPP isn't going to be sniffing around what they're up to, et cetera. And that part he is able to ultimately accomplish. But you know, now there is a So it's one of those weird things where Elon is not in DC anymore. The work of DOGE does continue. It's not over. Wired is out with the report saying, like, you know, don't believe the hype that Elon is done. He just is saying he needs to take some pressure off of his b businesses, so he wants to be less visible. However, I think two things do indicate that he is genuinely on the ounce with this administration. One of them is what I just showed you them pulling his guy at NASA. That's a big blow to Elon because he wants to be able to get whatever you know, this government can offer to SpaceX. So I think that is a blow. And the other thing is that there are there is just a flood of leaks going to the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times and all kinds of other outlets about how much everybody in the administration hated him and about how he was doing all sorts of drugs all the time while he was here. And I believe during that Oval Office meeting, we can put this image up on the screen. You can see some evidence of that cocktails.
Speaker 3: While of drug use towards no end it gets especially while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean here he is just like totally tweaking out and by the way, with a black eye, which, brother, if you want to cover that up, I can give you some makeup tips.
Speaker 3: Oh look at that though.
Speaker 4: It's not that hard.
Speaker 2: So he looks like shit, he's like totally disconnected from reality here and you know, proving right the various articles, but he denies that he's using these drugs. Blah, blah blah lawyers, that's what he says. He denies that he's using them, but totally validating the reporting from the New York Times.
Speaker 4: Well yet so about what's going on behind the scenes the New York.
Speaker 3: Times, And this is skipping ahead a little bit. So this is D four. The New York Times dropped this really splashy deep dive with like a Maggie Haberman, Oh, I'm sorry, it was Megan Twohe bylined Kirsen grind and Meghan Tweh On Friday before that Oval Offense press press conference, and so speculation ensues throughout the day on Friday. You know, DC is having fun with the story that Elon Musk has been abusing drugs like katamine. And this is a story sourced from people who were spending time with Elon Musk on the campaign trail in particular, which is when they say it was quote more intense than previously known, his drug use was more intense than previously known. Just several hours later, after all denials are happening, he's literally standing next to the President in the Oval Office, And I mean, I would assume that what we just watched on screen was drugs. I think anybody would assume that that's drugs. If it's not drugs, it's a problem that was completely abnormal. Now, Trump in the press conference also said that Elon's not really leaving. This is what the Wired story focused on, and that doses his baby. He's going to be back and forth. But at the same time, it was like an exit. So let's also get part of that Oval office conversation where a reporter asked Elon Musk about his black eye. This comes amidst speculation that he had a physical altercation with Scott Bessett, which we will get to in just a moment as well. So this is D three Aspectly, mister Musk, what is your eye?
Speaker 5: Okay, what happened to you?
Speaker 12: That your eye?
Speaker 7: I know this was a rust thing.
Speaker 5: Well it wasn't wasn't anyone near friends, so.
Speaker 13: But I didn't know.
Speaker 7: I didn't know.
Speaker 13: So yeah, I was just watched around with the lex and I said, go ahead, punch me in the face, and he did. It turns out even a five year old punching you in the in the face actually does.
Speaker 8: If you knew X right now.
Speaker 14: But I didn't.
Speaker 13: I didn't really feel much at the time, and then I guess it brings this up. But I just watched around of the act.
Speaker 3: I love Trump bragging about knowing like a toddler. If you know X, you know you can do it. But anyway, because that's Trump humble bragging that he does, he does no X. There are there.
Speaker 4: Their buddies, some of them may still be on that text.
Speaker 3: So let's put now It's God being ahead again D six on the screen because this became a really sort of ugly meme. But Bannon said that there was a physical altercation between Scott Bessant and Elon Musk that he quote literally got physical with them. Basically that Musk shoved Scott Bessont.
Speaker 4: These are the messiest people on them Well, no.
Speaker 3: I honestly think that Elon Musk is the messiest person on the planet. Like, do you think Scott besson is around there shoving people?
Speaker 4: Does it really seem like the type? No, he does vice cover but you never know.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, he got he was the one who got shoved.
Speaker 15: According to Steve Bannon, who's now spilling the tea about all of this, he said that in comments to The Daily Mail, Scott Bessont called him out and said quote, you promised us a trillion dollars in cuts and now you're at like one hundred billion and nobody can find anything.
Speaker 3: What are you doing? And that's when Elon got physical. Uh it's a sore subject with him. Wasn't an argument, it was a physical confrontation. Elon basically shoved him. Now, the White House responded to this and said, quote, it's no secret President Trump has put together a team of people who are incredibly passionate.
Speaker 4: It basically validation, right, They did not deny it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I mean that's Carolin.
Speaker 2: And just to be clear, that altercation happened back in Aple, so that would not be the cause of the black eye.
Speaker 4: Just so people understand.
Speaker 2: It just speaks to Elon's I guess, willingness to get into physical confrontations as a middle aged man, Like what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 4: In any case?
Speaker 2: So, I mean it adds credence to the idea that little ex punching him in the eye may not have been what happened here. The other like Blue and on conspiracy going on with this one.
Speaker 3: Is I wasn't going to bring it up, Crystal.
Speaker 2: I mean, we had to give the viewers all of the information Emily.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: People are saying Steven Miller and his wife Katie Miller apparently were close with Elon while he was in town, and they socialized outside of the office.
Speaker 3: Katie Miller was working with Elon very closely on do she does communications.
Speaker 2: Okay, and she is leaving the Trump administration to work with Elon, so leaving you know, Stephen and the Trump administration to go work with Elon. So this also stoked some speculation about just how closely I guess they were working together. And there was some analysis of you know, Stephen Miller being a lefty, in which I that likely would have impacted if you know, in the theoretical world where there was some sort of an altercation there over Miller's wife.
Speaker 3: But in any case, I mean, the much more likely scenario is that Elon Musk can pay an absolute f ton of money to the people that he sees as trusted advisors, and now Katie Miller should be able to make a ton of money while her husband works in the government, making you know, by billionaire massive corporation standards, not that much money. So I think that's probably the likeliest case. But interesting, nonetheless to see what the drama is behind the scenes on all of this. There there's also a Wall Street Journal story this is D five we can put on the screen, getting into the relationship between Trump and Musk as well. They described it as a quote unquote complicated relationship. And the journal story starts with an interesting anecdote that administration official sources in the administration gave to the journal, where Trump asks to his advisors about Doge, was it all bullshit? And I think the answer to that question, Crystal is pretty much yes.
Speaker 2: It's one of these Yeah, okay, if you're talking about cutting costs and efficiency, if you're talking about I'm gonna cut two trillion, no one trillion from the budget, yes, which is what they're Yes, that was all bullshit, But how did you not know that? Like, That's the thing that's crazy to me, is like, if you just know the very basics of government accounting math, you knew from the beginning that it was all bullshit when it came to the cost cutting, because if you want to cut cost significant costs in the federal government, you are not going to do it by finding some like mice study you don't like, or even and we'll get to this in just a moment by completely decimating USAID to the vast detriment of you know, millions of sick children, sick children and other innocence.
Speaker 4: Around the world.
Speaker 2: It is that is a draw up in the bucket in terms of the vast federal government budget. So if you did not know that, like I just think it's it's astonishing to me that he would not have realized that the project with regard to DOGE was never really about cost cutting. Elon had other ideological goals, some of which he did accomplish during his time.
Speaker 4: I'm going to talk more tomorrow about.
Speaker 2: You know, the scooping up of all this data and giving it to Palenteer, you know, being one of Elon's you know, allies within the tech right and possibly like we don't know what sort of federal government data was scooped up to use to further elons AI ambitions, you know, because we have very little actual transparency into what DOGE was even up to and continues to be up to within all of these organizations. As I said before, in terms of the goal of getting the regulators off his back, certainly mission accomplished there. So there was a lot that was done, and a lot that was inly destructive and is going to continue to have huge consequences. But I just I think it's so insane that anyone took seriously the idea that this was going to be a real cost cutting and efficiency effort from the beginning, and the way that they approached it.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the two trillion dollar number to take that seriously is I mean, without touching Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid. That's the Pentagon or the Pentagon, right, I mean, the Pentagon's the big one there, because you could plausibly if you found a lot of waste and other agencies and you you basically scuttle USAA D. I mean USAA D is not gone. It's been absorbed in the State Department. A lot of those costs have been eliminated. I mean, it's completely trunk to a shell of its former self, no question about that. I suspect Marco Rubio will still use it as like a long arm of soft power, but just in a very different way. So there's all kinds of like, there's all kinds of waste that you can find in the federal government budget, of course, but the idea that that would without between the Pentagon or without touching Medicaid, social Security and not just looking for quote unute waste, broad and abuse. That that would amount to two trillion dollars is an enormous stretch, especially when the process by which they are going about these cuts Crystal was so wildly inefficient, because Musk's idea was you cut a bunch and then you learn by the cuts what you need to bring back, which is I guess, a much more defensible philosophy in a corporate a corporate environment when it's not the government that taxpayers pay into and rely on the services for who then get that stuff cut after paying for it right and have all the disruptions only for the government to be like, whoops, are bad, we are bringing it back. Sarved about the last month of your life, mister veteran who was affected by this, So, I mean it was just the process was a disaster. And now the line is that dose is a lifestyle. I forget whether it was Trump or Elon Musk has said that that doses are going anywhere. It's a lifestyle, and to some extent though true, because there are muscul lieutenants, people who are brought on board who are now. They are like actually employees in managerial positions throughout the federal government. I would be all for things like the Rains Act, where you have to which should be in this bill, where you have to kick over a certain number if you're spending a certain number of money, it has to be kicked over to Congress and has to be signed off on by Congress. Because you know, that way, you don't have agencies just green lighting massive contracts and stuff like that. They haven't shown any willingness to you, as you said, Bannon has said this many times, many times go after these like Pentagon contracts to seriously take on quote unquote waste frunt abuse at the Pentagon. They never really went in that direction. And DOJ Noel lifestyle. Okay, let's see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there is one agency that has never been able to pass an audit. And you know, and as Bannon always that you got across the river. I mean, you know, I'm very hesitant to ascribe actual like belief him and whatever. He has his own agenda, but he's one hundred percent correct about that. If you actually want to go after ways Forradden abuse. But that again is why I never took seriously the idea that this would be any sort of real cost cutting mission. In fact, it's going to lead to more expense, specifically because of the gutting, you know, the cuts to the irs, which means you can collect less tax revenue, specifically less tax revenue from rich people, so it's going to cost more. You have degraded the efficiency and quality of the services. If you're someone who's trying to resolve some issue with your Social Security check, it is now going to take vastly longer and be you know, effectually mission impossible with the closed field offices and the longer wait times on the telephones, et cetera.
Speaker 4: But to your point, Emily Like, it's all well and good like.
Speaker 2: It's one thing if your Twitter dms don't work for a little while, exactly. It's another thing when air traffic controllers are being like pressure to reside at a time when we have a massive crisis in terms of air travel safety. It's another thing when you are a veteran who's enrolled in a you know, cancer research trial that has a chance of curing what you have, and that funding is stripped. You are not going to eliminate the deficit by gutting scientific research for a generation as an example, that's just not where the bulk of federal spending is. Even I looked up the numbers. If you look at how much we spend on the entire federal government workforce, right, they pushed out some two hundred and fifty thousand federal gun wars, Like it was a massive number of people that they cut. If you cut everybody, it is a very small proportion of the over federal government budget. So it's just to me to take at face value that Trump didn't know what's going on here.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That raises some other questions for me about how engaged he is in his own administration beyond like his you know, Liberation Day chart making exercises.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it was hard for anyone to keep up with Doze at first because the cuts were headspinning and they were coming fast and furious, and that was all part of the flood the zone plan. So there were a lot of cuts by the like relative standards of how quickly they came, they just didn't end up adding up to anything near what was being projected. I mean, there are some agencies that right now are utterly unrecognizable. The cfpb usaid those are significant cuts. Yeah, yeah, exactly, but in the scope of the federal budget, it's amazing how big cuts like that still don't make a dent in things. And rains is in the reconciliation bill. We'll see if it survives. But I mean, you had to cross the river if you wanted to. You certainly had across the river, and you would have had to do a lot more than just quote unquote waste, fraud and abuse.
Speaker 2: And they didn't find any fraud. What fraud did they find?
Speaker 3: I'm sure they did like it, but it's also hard to know because the DOGE website is full of random shit that you have no idea whether it's real. Sometimes people have tried to track it down and you don't know. But even sure they've found some bits and pieces of fraud.
Speaker 4: I know they found things they didn't like.
Speaker 3: They definitely found that.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's different from fraud, right, I mean, fraud is like there is fraud in the federal garment, although to be honest with you, after the DOGE exercise, I think it must be less than what I was assuming you're like, yes, they didn't find any of it. You know, you know, we always joke like Ryan Grimm found more ashful fraud in the federal government budget by identifying this fraudulent four or million dollars that was set to go hunt the door to Tesla than Doge did. So tell me what's going on there, Tell me what's really going on there? Ultimately, you know, the other piece of the Wall Street Journal article about some of the internal dynamics that was interesting to me is apparently he really got crosswise with Susie Wiles, among others. I mean, for Alon is notoriously like he's a raging asshole. People don't like to work with he. I think he would say that himself, like he does not deal well with people. He just doesn't. And that is the history of his dynamics. Within his companies. He usually has someone else who was working alongside with him, who can, you know, deal with the human beings involved. So not only did he have this physical altercation with Scott Bessett, I think he and Rubio were significantly at odds. Some of the tension with Sean Duffy played out in public, but they also got upset because they were learning about, you know, some of the chainsaw that was being taken to various parts of the federal government. Susie Wilsen Co. Were learning about that the same way that we were, where he just went in and did his thing, and so there was there were increasing efforts to try to rein him, in coordinate with him, et cetera. But you know, I think that was part of the underlying dynamic as well as like just people did not like him. And so when they were after the Wisconsin Supreme Court debacle, when there was a real display of political weakness and Trump apparently had talked to I can't remember what was that guy's named Schimel or something like that, Brad Schimel is at the name of the candidate.
Speaker 3: Oh, Brad Shimmel.
Speaker 4: Shimmel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Anyway, Trump was not impressed with that guy.
Speaker 4: Thought he was going to lose.
Speaker 2: Thought that Elon displayed very poor political instincts by going all in on that, And I do think that that was a real blow to him with regard to his standing Visa v. Trump and others. I'm sure with the administration this part, I'm just speculating about use that loss as a way to make the case to Trump of like, Okay, this guy's bad for your agenda. He's making you look bad, he's causing you all kinds of problems. Let's try to get him out there.
Speaker 3: Because it all comes down to the central cross benefit analysis. Does the cost of being associated with Elon Musk outweigh the benefit of having particularly his political donations. And so when Elon Musk noticed the timing here, this was all happening, as Elon Musk said, by the way, he's going to stop his political donations, then suddenly he's out at doge Well Wisconsin showed that the cost of association with Elon Musk actually in that case outweighed the benefits of him pouring million of dollars into a state Supreme court election. Even his millions of dollars couldn't buy that election because in the micro example that we're talking about, the microcosmic example we're talking about, it really motivated normally dem voters to come out and vote for the liberal Supreme Court justice in that case. So I think what that showed is that he's less valuable than it looked like when he came into Pennsylvania in the waiting days of a very very very very very close presidential election, at least in the sense of, you know, when you are within a margin in Pennsylvania and all the electoral College votes are on the line, he comes in, puts tons of money into swing states, but particularly Pennsylvania. Sort of looks like he buys Trump those states because is he the sort of deciding factors that money? What tips it over the edge for Donald Trump? Republicans say, Wow, we have the deepest pockets we could ever conceive of having, and he's just giving freely and doing it kind of for the hell of it, and we don't have to really do anything to beg him. He's just like having fun. So what does that mean for us? What does that mean for the party in the midterms? What does it mean for the party for the next ten years? With a massive cash infusion potentially on the table? And as soon as that dream kind of fades for Republicans, he becomes to them less trouble, less of a benefit than the trouble that causes. And I think that's probably part of what just everyone's exasperated with him. He's exasperated with them because they have less patience for him. They have less patience for his eccentricities and his process, which is very anathema in Washington. So it just it fizzled. We'll see how much he's still here. I have a hard time believing, Crystal that he doesn't want to still be pulling some of the puppet strings, no doubt about it, and that he probably will still be pulling some.
Speaker 2: Of the puppet strings some of them, Yeah, but you know, not without as much power as he previously wielded, which you know, at times rivaled Trump, at least especially with Trump pre tariff Trump, where he seemed like he was happy to just like play golf and outsource immigration and foreign policy. Apparently Stephen Miller outsourced whatever is going on with.
Speaker 4: Doge to Elon.
Speaker 2: And you know, now, I think the part of the Trump administration that Trump does take control over the terriffs, which is kind of a you know, and maybe he's involved somewhat with the top line ideological underpinnings of the Big Beautiful Bill, but you know, other pieces he's been happy to really just kind of hand into various corners of his administration.
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask you, Emily, an.
Speaker 2: Important part of the MAGA Trump two point zero coalition is the tech right and Elon being the figurehead right and so you had all the all in guys excited about Trump and Emma and I actually covered last week all of them, including David saxelthough he was like, Wow, this is the best we could get. But all of the all in guys very critical of the big, beautiful will. And so, what do you think the exit of Elon and the fraying of that relationship means for the broader tech right alignment with the Trump administration.
Speaker 3: I think the illusion is fading that there was and you know people who are in like DC Republican circles. I don't think anybody said it aloud, but I think everybody looked at those guys as almost inspiringly naive that they had these huge visions and the will, like the political will to like Elon Musk was out there with a chainsaw, right like this is a dream that the let's say, anarcho libertarian world, which not all of them are, I mean some of them are more robber barons than anarco libertarians, but that they have had for a long time. It's this idea that there would be the political will to go out there and dance on stage with a chainsaw like a good true ideological libertarian. And so what that meant was, Wow, this is basically Elon Musk coming in with all of these Silicon Valley nerds and waving magic wands and just dissolving parts of the government. And I think what we're seeing right now is that and I say this with some judgment, but not with much judgment, but the fading of that naivete that there was this idea that if you came into Washington with the will to take the arrows for cutting pepfar, to take the arrows for cutting USAA, d CFPB in ways that no Republican ever would have had the courage to do pre Trump, than man like this can finally be done. And that was again I think a lot of people in DC identified that as naive. Maybe they didn't want to say it because it felt hopeful. But I think that it's finally that idea, that dream is dead. I think that's what's really happened here.
Speaker 2: That is a good transition to talking about this Rogan appearance. Bono talking to Rogan about USAID in particular, and I told you I cut a longer sid of this because there was a portion of this one exchange that the right was sharing of like oh Rogan really showed him whose boss and usaad the money laundering operation. And there was another part that that Democratic Wins account which used to be Kamala Wins account, there was another part that that account shared. So I thought, let's let's give you the whole context and then we can talk about this on the other side.
Speaker 4: But interesting exchange on the less Let's take a listen.
Speaker 16: You went to Boston University and you taught it about Boston Universe to martial arts there. So just recent report, it's not proven, but there's surveillance enough suggests three hundred thousand people have already died from just this cut off, this hard cut of USAID. So this food rotting in boats and warehouses, there is this this this will will fuck you off, this will not you will not be happy, no American will. But there is and he has fifty thousand tons of food that are stored in Djibouti, South Africa, Dubai and wait for it, Houston, Texas. And that is a rotting rather than going to Gaza, rather than going to Sudan, because the people who know the codes are for the warehouse are fired, They're.
Speaker 3: Gone, and so this. I don't know.
Speaker 16: I just it's what do you think?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 7: What is?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 16: That's that's not America.
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 8: Well, they're throwing the baby out with the bathwater, right right. This is the problem. The problem is, for sure, there have been a lot of organizations that do tremendous good all throughout the world. Also, for sure it was a money laundering operation. For sure, there was no oversight. For sure, billions of dollars are missing. In fact, trillions that are unaccounted for, that were sent off into various they don't even know where because there's no receipts. The way Elon must describe that, he said, if any of this was done by a public company, the company would be delisted and the executives would be in prison. But in the United States this is standard. When Biden left office, when it was clear that Trump won, in the seventy three days, they spent ninety three billion dollars from the Department of Energy on just radical loans, just throwing money into places and there's no oversight, no receipts. Like the whole thing is, there's a lot of fraud, a lot of money laundering. But also we help the world and when you're talking about making wells for people in the Congo to get fresh water, when you're talking about food and medicine to places that don't have access, like no way that should have been cut out and that should have been clear before they make these radical cuts, Like there's got to be a way to keep aid and not have fraud, and you can't have you can't say we're going to kill everything so that there's no fraud, but then you're killing all the good and you're doing it without letting anybody know that's going to happen, So no one's It's not like they had three years to prepare. Let's build a new infrastructure, let's make sure they're everything set up. They wanted change, and they want to change quickly and do the nature of American politics, they have about two years before the midterms.
Speaker 4: Right, what did you make of that exchange? Emily?
Speaker 3: Super interesting and Christy you were pointing out as we were watching it, the different parts that were clipped where they cut it left and right. Yeah, where they had cut that clip up. And I think what Rogan just made at the end was a really compelling point about not creating any time period for off ramps. Because if you're somebody like me who looks at USAID and says, this is actually, in some sense creating this exploitive dependency system based on where US soft power interests are, and I think that's a critics.
Speaker 4: I share that critique.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so if you think that, you're like, okay, so it's really unfair that we are holding these people basically hostage with our aid to our foreign policy interests, and then you just pull the rug out from under them after making commitments for years and years and years. Then yes, people are going to die and people are going to suffer. There's another way, which would involve saying you have five years to get off of the stependency. We're changing fundamentally the way, and then the Gates Foundation steps in and the Rockefeller Foundation steps in and they fill the gaps, which is just not what happened. And I think it was really interesting to see Rogan reacting, particularly to that, and as an ally of Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean some of the things Rogan says, like about the quote unquote radical loans, the you know, oh, there's so much fraud again, what was the fraud? Because I share, you know, the like the left has a critique of USAID, and it's the one that Emily explained of like holding people hostage to US imperial foreign policy interests and this administration they don't believe in soft power. I mean, by and large, they just believe in hard power. That's why USAID is being gutted. That's why the State Department is being gutted. They have this throwback imperial if we see something and we want it, we're going to take it. That is their ideology. That's why Trump loves the McKinley era. That's why they you know, Greenland, Panama, Gaza, Canada, like they have this mentality of an old school we are just going to use our might to take it, and we're not going to wrap it in like you know, we'll give you some HIV medication and then you're going to help us out with our rare earth mineral supply.
Speaker 4: They don't want to wrap it in the Gazi language.
Speaker 2: They just want to come in with the guns and force our will upon the world. So that's the you know, that's the ideology that is surrounding this. But again it's they didn't actually identify any fraud. I'm not saying there wasn't any I'm saying there was none identified what Rogan's referring to there in terms of the end of the Biden administration. It is true that at the end of the Biden administration, when there was a recognition of oh shit, Kamala lost Trump, the Trump administration is coming in. We have all of these funds appropriated through you know, whether it's the IRA or the Chips Act or whatever that is already been authorized by Congress. We need to speed up the process to get these funds out the door. And that's what Rogan calls quote unquote radical loans.
Speaker 4: That's the end. I'd love that great term. I do love that term.
Speaker 2: So that's what he's referring to ultimately there. But you know, the other thing that drives me crazy, Emily, is like you just acknowledge people people have already died because of the consequences of these actions of just pulling all the funding from under many of these programs. And we have, you know, estimates from Bono's referencing the study. You can put some of these estimates up on the screen from Boston University School of Public Health. This is called impact Counter. This Twitter account was just sharing some of the top lines here. So within one year, these are all projected out. And again you can quibble with the you can quibble with what the numbers are, but there is we know already, factually speaking, that people have died as a result of these cuts, and we know that more people will.
Speaker 4: Die as a result of these cuts.
Speaker 2: The estimates here are one point sixty five million die without HIV prevention and treatment, five hundred thousand die without vaccine funding, five hundred thousand die without food aid. That's what Bono's talking about, is just rotting at the ports right now. Three hundred and ten thousand die without tuberculosis prevention. He's saying, it's zerodes so far, three hundred thousand is a low estimate, is the opining of this Twitter account. And three hundred thousand is you know, the estimate that they give right now the number of people who have died already. And again there is a elon and others claim no one has died, that's impossible, etc. And it's like, I don't know how you can. I don't know how you can live in reality and think that there's just no consequence for cutting this funding for critical life saving treatments around the world without anything to replace it. And you know, on the I'm sure there will be organizations over time that come in and try to fill the gap. I have no doubt about that. But so that has not happened yet. And so there is a you know, a critical hole that the US used to fill that has just been the you know, rug has been pulled out, and children, people who need this treatment and care that they were relying on the US for they have died and they will continue to die. And that is just the reality of Elon's impact here. And so I think that's the other piece, Emily. Is part of why I wanted to highlight this clip is because there is a sense that Doge utterly and completely failed, and it did, but we need to pair that with the understanding that Doge also so did tremendous, tremendous damage that is literally costing people's lives and will continue to have generational fallout for years and years to come.
Speaker 3: So, and this is something that people on the right feel as well, is that Elon Musk may have done lasting damage to the idea of like like you said, by the Doge website having so many holes that like when you're trying to look up the instances of fraud that are being cited. You go to the website and you can't track it down, and or it appears to be a total stretch, or it appears to be you know something. There are actually a lot of examples of journalists trying to chase down the fraud that does had it caught or eliminated whatever it was, and going down rabbit trails, going down things that led them to repetition something like that, and does that end up doing lasting damage to the like really predicate of a lot of conservative ideology about quote unquote limited government. And I'm someone who's in this camp. People say limited not small government. Small government's libertarian. Limited government is conservative limited relative to what it's become over the last one hundred years. Does that idea ever recover, you know, in this generation from Doge? When you have such a I don't know if yeah, I mean this is the right way to say it. When you have such an unserious approach where you end up, I mean, you pledge huge numbers, you come up with very little. It's all done with a billionaire dancing with a chainsaw. Does it ever recover on the other hand, would anyone have ever done it? You sort of have a catch twenty two other than you know, eccentric elon Musk. Maybe not. But does it ever recover from DOGE? I don't know. It's a question actually that might even go to Democrats Crystal having this conversation about abundance and about Doge. Where when Doese first started you saw a lot of Democrats frustrate with the fact that it was Republicans who were capitalizing on this idea of efficiency in government, saying, well, we can certainly stand for efficiency in government because from our perspective, the more efficient the government looks, the more that we can actually make the case for funding, the more that we can make the case that some of these agencies are good if they're efficient. So, I don't know, I mean maybe Democrats are able to co opt that idea.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe we can put this in in post guys. And by the way, Marshal Costlof is going to co host with me tomorrow as Abundant Abundance guy, Marshal Abundance. So I'm trying to avoid saying grow In any case, I'm really looking for you that has some really smart insights into the interaction with the left, et cetera.
Speaker 4: But I want to talk to him more about this poll tomorrow.
Speaker 2: But Sienna just did a poll that found, for the first time in decades, basically unprecedented in the new liberal era, a majority of Americans say government should do more to solve problems versus the number who say governments tried to do two many things. And I think that is directly attributable to Dosh.
Speaker 4: Directly attributory.
Speaker 2: It's like you don't know what you got till it's gone. Kind of a dynamic where it's like, oh, I liked it when I had.
Speaker 4: A Social Security field office.
Speaker 2: In my town and I didn't have to wait on, you know, a phone for four hours in order to get someone to answer my basic question. That was a good thing the government was doing, and I wish it would do it again.
Speaker 3: It's a socialist op now that you say, like Elon Musk, you couldn't come up with a better socialist op Like sans was doing covert operations and planting a libertarian in the federal government to make the entire project look absurd.
Speaker 2: To prove the importance of what the government actually does. It's like, oh, yeah, you know what, I actually liked it when I could get weather data and there was a FEMA disaster relief response that maybe it was an ideal, but it was better than not having one. So I mean, it's an extraordinary surge in the number of people who say, no, Actually, I believe in government, and I want government to do more, and I want it to do well. Now, the challenge and on the other side, is that there's not a lot of trust for either party to be able to accomplish those things effectively. And so obviously that's a big, you know, reality and political challenge. But I do think your point about the fears that Elon has somehow managed to destroy even the concept of like we need to cut the fat and we need to make government more quote unquote efficient, is it's pretty remarkable because that has always been a winning political proposition for my entire lifetime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so interesting. We'll see where it goes going forward. But low hanging fruit here for Democrats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, should we talk about your favorite senator?
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Jonny Ernce? Why not? Why shouldn't we be talking about Junior enestr came to under the So Johnny Ernce got hit with a tough town hall the other day, as many Republicans have, and in fact, at one point Republicans just stopped doing town halls. So amazing that johny Urns actually was out there talking to the people. But before we get into the reaction to this, roll this clip of johni Arenstor being heckled by people in the audience. This is people in Iowa reacting to johni ns talking about Medicaid cuts. So go ahead and take a look at this clip.
Speaker 17: People are not well.
Speaker 14: We all are going to die. Hello, everyone, I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for a statement that I made yesterday at my town hall. See, I was in the process of answering a question that had been asked by an audience member when a woman who was extremely distraught screamed out from the back corner of the auditorium people are going to die. And I made an incorrect assumption that everyone in the auditorium understood that, yes, we are all going to perish from this earth. So I apologize, and I'm really really glad that I did not have to bring up the subject of the tooth fairy as well.
Speaker 3: Hello fellow flesh and Blood model. It's just if you're listening to this, what you miss is it was just her face like chin up and she actually people pointed out is walking in front of a cemetery, like to the point about Washington not being West wing but being veep. This is the best illustration that I've seen in months. Actually, there's always a good illustration every single week, but this is one of the best ones I've ever seen. Crystal. She's apologizing for saying quote, We're all going to die at a town hall. It was in Butler County, Iowa on Friday. She makes an apology video, christ Well, why are you making the apology video? Roll with it? Secondly, she does it in front of a cemetery. Yeah, and then she pivoted to evangelism. By the way, towards the end of the video, you didn't see this, but I'm pretty sure she Yeah. She ended up saying quote, for those that would like to see eternal and our everlasting life, I encourage you to embrace my Laurence. I'm telling you, as I've been talking Christians, this is the worst evangelism I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yes, we are all going to die.
Speaker 4: It kind of matters to me when you.
Speaker 2: Know, like I would rather I think most people, including the millions who were set to lose health insurance coverage because of the Medicaid cuts and the big beautiful bill, they would like to forestall that possibility, you know, into the future. But there, you know, the meme of Republicans is the idea that like, oh, their healthcare plan is like is don't get sick or or don't be poor, like that's the and so she just goes all in with basically like yeah, I mean I guess if you get sick, you're going to die by that whatever, We're all going to die anyway, and just find your salvation in God.
Speaker 4: It's fine.
Speaker 3: I was venting about those always, like, first of all, just from like a comms perspective. God forbid, I put that hat on, like the idea of doing communications for a senator. But if you're even like thinking about this, you just all you have to do is say, yeah, this is the Trump era. All she has to do is say, yeah, I stood up to the liberal heckler in the audience who is defending waste and fraud in Medicaid. Yeah, I'm defending Medicaid. From the people who want to undermine Medicaid with waste and fraud and abuse. But why would you ever go out there and apologize for making like a glib, offhanded comment. And then because she was clearly frustrated in the clip, she was like just reaching for straws and Jonny Arns is not the most talented politician in the world. You would be shocked to learn, and ends up grasping out We're all going to die. Film's an apology video in front of a cemetery, then jokes about the tooth fairy and pivots some evangelism. I mean you just the every item on the Bengo card is checked off.
Speaker 4: Well, and the funny thing too. I'm interested in your on this is.
Speaker 2: I am normally very impressed with Republican message discipline. Usually there's like a Okay, here's what we're saying about the Medicaid cuts.
Speaker 4: We're saying these aren't cuts.
Speaker 2: This is we're cutting out the waste, right, And some Republicans are on that talking point. Other Republicans are on the like, actually, you know, they're not cuts at all. I don't even know what you're talking about. There are no cuts. People are going to keep their insurance. Right, some people are just like they're in the you know, denying of reality. And then some people, apparently Jony Urns is in the well, we're all going to die anyway, So whatever if eight million people are slated to lose their health insurance coverage, which is the estimate under this bill. So in some ways, I think it displays the the victory of Obamacare's expansion of Medicaid, that this has become a difficult subject for Republicans because it never was in the past. It also is indicative of the realignment that, as Bannon points out, you now have a lot of magas on Medicaid, you know, and so this is going to have an impact on your voting coalition will be among many of the eight million who lose their health insurance, like Trump one narrowly but one voters making under fifty thousand dollars, and that is the first time for a Republican I don't know.
Speaker 4: Since when in the modern era.
Speaker 2: So in any case, I think the schizophrenic nature of the Medicaid messaging within the Republican coalition is indicative of the fact, like they realize this is a big political problem for them, but they also realize they have this ideological commitment to cutting medicaid, and also the bill blows up the deficit, and we've got to do something, and we've got to appeel the fiscal hawks and the Libertarians and the Caucus and whatever. So they are kind of a mess on this issue because it's not really it is dramatically if you pull cut some medicaid dramatically politically unpopular, yep. And so you know, they just don't really know what to do with that when they're out trying to talk to regular people.
Speaker 3: So let's actually he wasn't talking to regular people, but the vote went on who was doing Sunday Show messaging to Crystal's point about GOP messaging discipline, And actually a lot of people on the right were passing around this clip is kind of a masterclass. But people on the left this reminds me of the Vino clip we played in the elon of Block and Crystal. People on the left are passing this around as examples of doge Republican cruelty. Basically, so let's go ahead and role Office of Management Budget Director Russ Vote, who is now basically seen as the policy mind that's driving DOGE. The administration is saying there's really no one person now that Elon's kind of checked out, there's no one person that's like the leader of DOGE. But people generally see Russ as being the intellectual policy mind of DOGE, and he's at OMB so he's kind of managing the purse strings. He's very supportive of the unitary executive theory. He's an extremely consequential person in this administration. So watch, let's watch Russ vote yesterday.
Speaker 11: It's more about the NI eight and the NIH has been a bureaucracy that we believe has been weaponized against the American people. We saw that in COVID, the extent to which it doesn't even know or is willing to grapple with, the extent to which it funded the Wuhan Institute through the Eco Health Alliance, and the fact that they pay far more than even Bill Gates does for indirect costs at all of the bureaucracy. So this is something that is vitally important to be able to get a handle on. And we're still going to give twenty eight billion dollars.
Speaker 5: To the NIH.
Speaker 3: So that's him. With Dana Bash on CNN State of the Union Sunday Show Crystal interesting in the context of the point you made about generally being impressed with Republican messaging discipline, what did you make of Russ as the people like Joni Ernst are struggling with town halls. At one point there was the director from Trump on down like, just don't do town halls. The bills on the table right now, dose is kind of over. So how do you think the way Russ is talking is playing with the public.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the way Russ is talking is the reason why there was some general public receptivity to the project of DOGE, because you can point at things at USAD that people are like, I don't know that we really need to do that. You can obviously, you know, NIH is a good example where you can point and the abundance guys have critiques of like, oh, we should be doing organizing our federal research and our science funding this way. But now that you're on cleanup crew and people have seen, oh, you're not just targeting like the Wuhan Lab. You are gutting scientific research across the board in a way that you know is going to have generational impacts. No, those are not things that the public supported. So if there was you know, if this was before the fact and justification of Okay, why we're going to come in and here's how we're going to do it, and this is what it's going to look like. Yeah, maybe you could have gotten some public support for that. But now, like the bloom is off of the rows, people have already seen the chainsaw. They're not going to unsee the chainsaw and think that you're doing some limited, targeted, effective cutting of just the pieces of the federal government that they may have some sort of issue with.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be tough, And I wonder, you know, when the history of this first administration has written ten plus years from now, not like the next couple of years, but ten plus years from now, how people see the cause of like actually trinking like the conservative movements almost central animating principle of cutting government because cutting government and this is again the conservative argument, you know, that always brings more freedom. So like any cut to the government is more that abstract principle of freedom, like it's you're feeding human freedom every time you cut the government. I just wonder how this period changes that going forward, and if the Republican Party looks more like the Bannon Republican Party or the Eline Republican Party ten years from now, based on all this, because right now, what the trying to do, people like rest Boat are trying to marry the two right, and that is what feels like is slipping.
Speaker 2: And it isn't just the Republicans who've been bought into the I mean, Bill Clinton is the one who said the era of big government is over, right, right, this is really starts with Carter, you know, dabbles in it. Reagan is obviously the you know, real ideological like full realization of that ideology in government. Bill Clinton consolidates it as a bipartisan project. And you know, and this is the central question of the political moment we're living in right now, is like that consensus is dead.
Speaker 4: What comes next is contested.
Speaker 2: And that's where the abundance conversation fits in of what, Okay, well, what does the post neoliberal left offering look like? That's where the I mean, personally, I think a lot of abundance is neoliberal. But that's their conception is like Okay, you know you've got this, You've got the oligarchy framing, you've got the you know, the breaking up the anti trust and corporate power framing, and then there's this question of what is the role of government. The priorities and values that are embodied in the Trump Big Beautiful budget are basically a gutting of the social safety net, a funding of the oligarchs and the wealthy, and a massive expansion of the police state of the military industrial complex with a huge Pentagon budget, and then a massive expansion of ICE and the private prison detention centers that go along with that. So that is the as embodied by the Trump movement that is really their conception of government power is that it does little in terms of providing social services and does a lot in terms of, you know, the sort of like surveillance and projecting power and fighting wars and those sorts of things. I think the Democrats and the leftmore broadly are really grappling right now with what their conception of the federal government is ultimately going to be. But I do think your right to focus in on that is one of the key questions that is being grappled with right now sort of across the board politically in terms of arriving at whatever the new political era and consensus is going to be.
Speaker 3: I actually think it's been a great few months for democratic socialism in all seriousness. The pitch that Bernie Sanders and Alexandro Kazuo Kortezer making.
Speaker 2: You see the receptivity was Zorn Mumdani, who had notice challenging Cuomo in the way that he's been able to whether he's able to pull it off or not for New York City there.
Speaker 3: M hm. I think he's a great point. Chris. I was so proud of us because we were we almost wrapped the show on a timely basis, and that we didn't.
Speaker 2: We had to wax poetic about the about neoliberalism and the waiting era and let girls be girls.
Speaker 4: They're a big government. There you go.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, Premium subscribers are going to get that AMA live today.
Speaker 4: If you guys want to take part in.
Speaker 2: That, avail yourself of our free trial offer month free please subscriber offer is back, so you know we'd love to see you guys sign up and become part of that so we can get your questions and interactive. That was one of the promisings of the Premium subscribers is interact with the hosts, so you will get to do that more.
Speaker 4: If you are a premium subscriber.
Speaker 2: The promo code for the free monthly trial is BP freeover at Breakingpoints dot com. Let's see today is Monday, Tomorrow. I'm in with Marshall. Hell yeah, that's going to be super fun. I'm looking forward to that. Such a smart guy. Always enjoy his insights, so that'll be good. He's in person too, right, he's in person. Amazing, it's awesome. Yeah, and you and Ryan on Wednesday, Me and Ryan on Thursday, Friday Show.
Speaker 4: That's the plan for the week.
Speaker 3: So gang's all here.
Speaker 4: We'll see you guys tomorrow.
Speaker 17: Shot, keep sh keep
Speaker 3: Shot.