Speaker 1: Mees, Why aren't we at the recycling center.
Speaker 2: Aren't we going to.
Speaker 3: The garden shop to buy some pots and decorations for our garden.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, we can still go to the garden shop. I'm just dropping some things off at the recycling center. You can wait in the car. I'll be very quick.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Storytime by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. You might have heard about recycling, but have you heard about upcycling.
Speaker 5: Upcycling is when you give something old a new use or purpose. Maybe we'll learn about it while we're here.
Speaker 2: I am bored me too.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, look do you see that big bag over there?
Speaker 5: Whoa, it's huge.
Speaker 3: Do you think someone forgot it maybe or maybe left it there on purpose?
Speaker 2: I wonder what's inside?
Speaker 1: We shouldn't really touch.
Speaker 3: It, Yes, but what if there is a treasure inside?
Speaker 1: Then it is someone else's treasure?
Speaker 2: But what if it's not.
Speaker 3: It's just a tiny peak wouldn't hurt No, Lisa, we were told to wait in the car.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, Lisa, you shouldn't come on. Helliet know that quick peek?
Speaker 1: Can't we need to stay in the car.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm back. What's going on?
Speaker 3: There is a huge bag over there, and maybe it has a treasure inside or trash?
Speaker 4: Sure can be either or trash sometimes can be recycled and treasure, I guess.
Speaker 5: Returned to their owner. But who is the owner?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Maybe that's him over there. Here's our chance to find out.
Speaker 2: Excuse me? Is it your bead?
Speaker 6: Yes? Why do you ask?
Speaker 2: Nothing important?
Speaker 3: I just wanted to know if it has treasure treasure inside?
Speaker 6: Well, why don't you have a look yourself and tell me whether you think it's trash or treasure?
Speaker 2: Huh No, not this one.
Speaker 3: Some more t shirt show, tea pots and two car tires.
Speaker 2: It's definitely jump yes to the bend. I told you, Lisa.
Speaker 6: You're right. It is a bunch of old stuff. But that doesn't mean it isn't treasure.
Speaker 2: Um what do you mean?
Speaker 6: Every once in a while I come treasure hunting here, looking for things that I can reuse.
Speaker 2: I know, like recycling.
Speaker 6: Actually, many of these things cannot be recycled. You can't melt them easily into something else. For example, these old teapots or even the broken doorknobs. But I can give them a new purpose and use them for something else. That's what you call upcycling.
Speaker 2: Upcycling.
Speaker 5: How does that work?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: Tell me is there anything you need at the moment, something for your house or maybe your room.
Speaker 3: Well, we were just about to go to the garden store and buy some new pots for our plants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and some other decorations for our garden.
Speaker 6: That sounds like fun. Well, there are plenty of things here that you could use for your garden.
Speaker 5: Really, Key's right. Just use your creativity and imagination.
Speaker 4: Think for a moment. What are some things from the bag that you could use as a pot for a plant? Lingo, kids, listeners, can you think of anything?
Speaker 1: Hmm?
Speaker 6: The tea pots, Yes, that's a great idea there.
Speaker 1: Pots, after all, but those are the tea.
Speaker 6: Usually Yes, but these ones have a few holes at the bottom. They may not be good for it sea anymore, but they can definitely hold some dirt for a plant, and they will look very nice in a garden.
Speaker 2: That's true. You're right.
Speaker 6: See, all you have to do is think outside the box.
Speaker 3: Let's think of some more things. What about these big tires. What if we put dirt.
Speaker 2: In them and hang them? Can we plant flowers in them.
Speaker 4: Oh, you mean like hanging planters. That's a great idea, Cowie, I think that can work.
Speaker 2: Yay, But don't they know well, I love to paint. Can we paint them?
Speaker 4: I don't see why not? With some colorful paints. I'm sure they'll look wonderful.
Speaker 1: I have another idea. Can we use the doorknobs to pretend like we're opening a visible door?
Speaker 5: That's very imaginative, elliot.
Speaker 4: We could also attach them to the fence and use them to hang our tire planters.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea too. What about these old shirts?
Speaker 3: Huh, well, we could use them to clean our hands when we're working with the Soyo.
Speaker 6: Great idea. That's a great way to reuse old t shirts.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what if you want, I'll go ahead and give you my bag of treasure since you plan on reusing these things?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 5: Wow? Are you sure?
Speaker 6: Of course? Don't worry. There's always more treasure to find here.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: That's very kind, Thank you very much. Okay, are we ready to go to the garden store?
Speaker 3: Well, we don't really need to now we can up cycle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's more fun too.
Speaker 5: I guess that's true.
Speaker 2: Let's go home and work on our garning. Yeah, now we know how to upcycle.
Speaker 4: Lingo Kids listeners, We've had a great time at the recycling center learning about upcycling and how we can give old things new uses. Look around, can you find things to repurpose using your creativity? Let us know what you came up with. Just make sure to ask a grown up for permission and always ask for help when using tools to make something new. If you are ready for interactive play learning time, explore our Lingo Kids app. It offers fun and educational songs and games to help kids ages two and older learn and develop important skills such as communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity. That's the power of play learning. See you in our next episode.