Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Monday. That went by quickly. Glad to be back. We were away for a little while, had a great time in Tahoe and the weather was great, had great guest. Todd wasn't there. Everybody had a good time and we're all We're all reunited now, all reunited.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Fritzie's here, Seaton, Marv Paully, yours truly in the back room.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: We finished last hour with our best and worst of the weekend. We only got to Fritzie and Seaton Marvin. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 4: I got two best first best our boy, the big Dumper, Cal Riley winning home run derby during All Star Week for the MLB, and other best. Ronald Acunya Junior with maybe the best throw I've ever seen. He completed a double play he had He caught a fly ball and then threw a rope third base to get the other runner out from brightfield.
Speaker 2: Okay, better than Bo Jackson. Bo Jackson had to throw. That is one of the greats of all time out putting.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, I watched both and the throw by Bo Jackson years ago he caught it, stepped into it, and did the hop step. Acuna Junior was completely flat footed.
Speaker 6: It made no.
Speaker 5: Sense when the ball left his arm. It almost looks like AI. The ball keeps going and they got the runner at third. The announcers were blindsided, the runner was blindsided. The third baseman had no idea the ball was coming to him from a flat footed guy four hundred three hundred feet away.
Speaker 3: It was fascinating. Uh, did you have another one, Marvin?
Speaker 4: Those my two best?
Speaker 3: Okay? All right, Paulie bestin Works of the weekend.
Speaker 5: Best of the Weekend MLB going with individual uniforms team uniforms for all the All Stars. It was such an old school nod and I think it's going to be permanent. Really nice move by them. And then how about the Milwaukee Brewers fifty nine and forty. They've won ten in a row. They tied the Cubs in the Central and they do so while having some of the coolest uniforms in all of baseball. They have some great looks, great looks.
Speaker 2: So Blue Jays, Tigers, Astros, Phillies, Cubs, Brewers, and Dodgers. Those are your first place teams. And I'm looking at the odds the morning odds. This according to DraftKings World Series odds. It's still the Dodgers big favorites. Then it's the Yankees, then the Tigers, Phillies, Mets, Astros, and Cubs all kind of lumped in there. But it's the Dodgers right now to lose eight seven seven to three. DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show rich Lerner. As he is so capable of doing, we'll put into words the greatness of Scottie Scheffler. And if we dare dip our toe into the Tigers Scottie comparison, that'll be coming up. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. The premiere for Happy Go More To is tonight in New York City. The movie comes out on Netflix on Friday. I have not seen the movie. I've talked to Sandler numerous times, and of course was only concerned about my performance in there, and he said, Danny, you get some laughs, you get some big laughs, and I don't. Once again, I'm there for a full day, and I probably was shooting things on camera for four to five hours. Now, I don't know what makes the movie, and you know, obviously to Sandler's discretion, but I think there's probably two or three scenes that I'm in that I'll have some substance to them.
Speaker 7: Yes, Seaton, I just showed last night, as a matter of fact, my son our scenes from That's My Boy for the first time, and he thought it was quite possible one of the best things he's ever seen this whole life. He thought your acting was spectacular. Uh, he thought that seeing us in the background was hilarious. He thought the general premise was was hysterical. I think that movie is grossly underrated, grossly underappreciated. That is a funny movie, Uh, and probably your best acting performance, do.
Speaker 3: You think so?
Speaker 8: Him seeing you say I have to clean it up a little bit.
Speaker 7: But I've seen it a hundred times and it makes me laugh just as hard as the first time. Seeing you say I think he craped his pants is so damn funny.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: The way that that's edited together, because it all goes so fast, it's like one like super quick edited montage kind of thing.
Speaker 8: And oh my god, is that funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, Sadler said, you know, I want you to be uh kind of a Jerry Springer like, and so I'm chasing down the stories and you know, it's it's supposed to be tabloid journalism. And Sandler gave us a lot, gave me a lot of freedom there, like there are times when you go, God, he doesn't know what he's doing.
Speaker 3: What is he doing? Given me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I still think just just go with it with Kidman and Aniston. That that, to me was probably my best part that I ever got, because he did say, Danny ad lib and he says this in front of everybody. So you got Kidman and Aniston are there, Dave Matthews, is there whole crowd of people in a nightclub? And I stop at one point because I stopped because that's that I ran out of the lines that they gave me and there's nobody doing anything. And then you hear Sandler in the back. He's in the shadows watching everything. You go Danny ad lib And I was like, oh my god, Now Aniston and Kidman know that I really can't act. So the movie comes out on Friday on Netflix and hopefully it lives up to the hype. I know that it's been a long time coming with this. I don't know if this is going to be quite like Top Gun and then Maverick as opposed to Happy Gilmore and then Happy go More too.
Speaker 3: Yes, Pauline, That's what I was going to ask you.
Speaker 5: Is that that twenty thirty year delay you get the fans wanting it like Pop Gun Maverick. Everyone's seen that at least twice now.
Speaker 2: And I keep seeing this Subway commercial with shooting McGavin and he's in there and they have Happy Gilmore stuff, you know, cups and so Subway reaches out and says, hey, do you want to be in a commercial? It's a Happy Gilmore. So I'm thinking yeah, sure, and then all of a sudden, crickets. Then I see the commercial and they went with Brych and Deshambeau and shooting McGavin. Well I thought that I was going to be in the commercial.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Awkward, but it's okay. I'm glad Bryson got a little air time. Let me get a couple of phone calls in here, EH seven seven three DP show Brad in Connecticut, Hi Brad, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Good morning? Dan six feet a slimming two forty. A couple of comments Stephen Colbert going down, how about late night with Dan and the dan Ettes. Just an idea reluctant no, no, reluctant superstar that came up with Steve Carlton, Nikolai Djokovic. He seems to be kind of reluctant and one superstar nobody's mentioned that never gave interviews Secretariat.
Speaker 2: Thank you Dan, all right, thank you, Brad, thank you. I did see Secretariat later in his life. I visited uh was it Born Farms and trying to get an exclusive, didn't get an interview, but got to see that horse, like you just want to see, like what all these horses, all of these races, and that horse is the one horse that stands out And driving from Richmond, Kentucky, and I thought, why not, let's go see if we can see the horse, and we actually ran into somebody who was very friendly. This is when I was back in college, and somebody who was very friendly to us and at least got to see the horse.
Speaker 5: Yes, paulm It's Secretariat fall on tough times, like drinking bourbon every night, a new woman every night, or multiple women every day.
Speaker 2: I'd heard things, well, probably multiple women. Yes, I don't know about the bourbon under the guys of stud fees, although yeah, I know if if you get a chance to go on the bourbon trail in Kentucky, it is it is wonderful. Got a chance to do that a couple of years ago. Where you go to I mean, there are quite a few distilleries down there, but I remember going to Pappy van Winkle the Buffalo Trace. You know, I love my bourbon, but to be able to go there and actually see how it's made put in those barrels, it was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Tom in North Carolina, h Tom, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 9: DP, I got a couple of Best of the Weekend. A couple of other people hit on them. Shane Gillis at the sb's, you know, the WNBA players letting people know, you know, letting everybody know what's on their minds. And also, you know, I guess the best of the weekend is you know.
Speaker 10: Pole play is actually changing people's lives forever.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Tom.
Speaker 2: It feels like everybody has put out their own meme on it, and I kept thinking, is there anything I can add to this that all of a sudden there's a kiss camp and you have the CEO and he's not with his wife, he's with his head of HR. I don't understand how he lost his job, but I don't know if the head of HR, which that seems like that would be against But what is what is allowable with HR?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Thank you Todd, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: I think the biggest mistake that they made was the way they reacted to being on the you know, on the kiss cam or whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 3: There was a mistake before that.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, yes, but it's called dating, especially.
Speaker 8: At a concert.
Speaker 2: I like, now, I don't know what was true, but it seemed like he was mad that he in a private moment it was made public And I'm going, you are delusional if that's how you feel that you went to a concert and you were having a private moment at a concert and you were shown on the kiss camp. Once you know that they're showing the crowd, I would probably duck for cover or go get a beer or something. Yeah, Or maybe you take your hands off her breast as you you know, holding her like a Dame's Titanic.
Speaker 8: Not not if you want, maybe maybe not go hand to broad.
Speaker 2: Come on, dude, you're an astronomer, but you can't see Jenny.
Speaker 8: What's happening right in front of you on the cover.
Speaker 3: Of Rolling.
Speaker 2: Oh my God, hand to hand Combat.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Balie.
Speaker 5: They always say everyone wants to be famous for something that's one where there's no upside.
Speaker 3: I don't see it.
Speaker 5: People get internet memed and and go viral whatever word you want to use, and a lot of them turn it in to something. They parlay it into something. That woman who kind of lost it on the airplane a few years ago, she's parlayed that into a financial career of some type. I don't know how these two people parlay this into something positive or lucrative.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this isn't haktua.
Speaker 2: I mean this is something where you know, these two families are altered. He's lost his job, she'll probably lose her job. I think Coldplay benefited. I think at the end of the day, you're like, oh damn Coldplay. Okay, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Does Ashley Madison reach out to those two?
Speaker 3: Is Ashley Madison still a thing? I'm good, No way, I'll check it out.
Speaker 2: Fretzy, you check I'm hr here. You have my permission to go check. I think Ashley Madison came back after all of the drama that they had, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 4: The crazy part was people were saying, Oh, I can't believe they what viral? If that was me, I'm not worried about going viral. I'm worried about going to my house, no thing, going home, Yeah, going home if I have one still yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think cold Play describes what it was like when he got home, like high, honey, Hi, honey, I'm home.
Speaker 4: The concert was good?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, who'd you go with? Just some friends, some co workers? Okay, yes, tod.
Speaker 3: It appears that they're up and running.
Speaker 6: It's not referred to as was, but is a notorious dating site where cheating spousals can go looking for fairs.
Speaker 2: I'm doing a live read, okay are you?
Speaker 3: Are you doing a read a promotional read for them.
Speaker 4: I'm just taking a look at the definition from I just go to Refreey Madison and this is what it says. It is is not was.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was Chris in South Carolina. Good morning, Chris, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Good morning Dan meant a while five to ten post COVID two ten.
Speaker 9: Best of the weekend.
Speaker 10: I took Mormon's advice when you guys were out in Nevada, got me a Larry Johnson Teal Jersey. Got LJ to sign it Friday night, and LJ kind of looks like Charles Oakley now with the gray. Didn't see the gold tooth, but he kind of does look like Grandmama a little bit, and he's aged a bit worse. The weekend HVACT went out, but the Teal Jersey is pretty lit, and y'all talked about Peel earlier, so I wanted to call in and say, good deal, go Teal, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, thank you, Chris, good deal, go te you. I still don't have eight tracks. Now, I don't have an eight track player, but I have eight tracks, and you know, because I don't throw anything away. So my wife, I said, hunt, you never know, like albums, everybody gave away their albums and look what happened. They all came back. Not that eight tracks are coming back because the quality wasn't great like albums are you know, I guess because they're so large that you had CDs and then people were like, how much you know? I had fifteen hundred albums and then you gotta I gotta make room for like kids and stuff. And the albums are awesome, reading the album covers awesome.
Speaker 3: All right, let me take a break.
Speaker 2: Rich Lerner, great host of Golf Channel. We'll try to put into words the greatness of Sconnie Scheffler, and do we dare compare him to Tiger yet? Take a break back after.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Hey, we're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 12: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over We were promising things we never have time for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you blubber lit name in me.
Speaker 11: Well you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years. Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also going to talk life and relationships, and if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised. Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out Overpromise and also Uncensored by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 12: There you go, over Promising, and remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Covino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Seaton, would you update the poll results then we'll head to Ireland and talk to rich Lerner.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got a few of them working right now, some of them extremely important topics. Actually all of them better All Star Weekend, MLB or NBA right now. MLB running away with that one.
Speaker 8: Is Teel overrated as a color fifty two percent have that as no.
Speaker 7: And for the PGA Tour, Scottie Scheffler is awesome or an issue, ninety percent have him as awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I think issue is too strong. I think we would like to have more personality there. But I want to see greatness first and then personality after that. Speaking of which he's greatness and personality personified. He's rich Lerner, Golf Channel host, joining us from the coverage at Port Rush. Great to see you again, rich How are you feeling good?
Speaker 6: DP Let me just begin by saying that you began as I popped on with Ashley Madison and now we're toughing to Scott Scheffler. So let me quote Scotty and rhetorically asked, what's the point, Dan?
Speaker 3: Do you have an answer?
Speaker 6: You're really tough. Yeah. I've thought, looking hard, like everybody else, about who it is we're watching and what we're watching, and I've come to this. Scotti Scheffler is Leonidas from the movie three hundred, with the swarthy beard, the smoldering, quiet intensity. He reaks havoc, he completes the conquest, and then he goes home to the quiet, simple life on the apple orchard to tend to his wife and child. Yeah, he is. He's something else. I think, in arguably he's one of the best athletes in the world right now, I don't think you can dispute that he's there for stopping and sa Kuon Barkley and Alcaaz Sinner and Simone Biles and Shay gilgis Alexander, but he's not a hot commodity, it seems on the wider stage. So I wrote last night that maybe Scotty needs to show up but on the red carpet at the med gala. Maybe he needs to go insta yachting on the Mediterranean like so many athletes. Maybe he needs to digitize his entire life, but that just is not his thing. His thing is to play golf and play it to the best of his ability. So you know, Scotty cuts to him Rich, what's that, Dan?
Speaker 2: Are we being fair to him that we look for more, hope for more, We want more than just hey, you're great at what you do.
Speaker 6: I mean that that's the bane of every athlete and every performer, now is it's And I think that's Scotty's point is it is never enough. He can only be who he is And Okay, that doesn't seem maybe enough for people. And as he said, so he's won two majors and he'll show up in Memphis, and they'll say, Scotty, do you think he can win the career slam? Scotty, do you think he can catch Tiger? And I think what Scotty's trying to tell us is that this is not the be all end all, That if you get on that hamster, your wheel, it's at your peril. That if you have not tended to what's important in your life, that personal stuff, at some point, the weight of all of this, the expectations that the roaring chorus of the never satisfied, the daily referendums on social media, all of that, at some point will get to you if there no amount of wins can fill whatever hole you might have inside. And with due respect, I think we saw evidence of this in the last thirty years with the two previous greatest players in the sport in Tiger and Phil. So Scotty is I think wisely tending to that first. He is something of a holy warrior. If you paid attention, he said, I've been called to do this, and so that suggests some sort of of a higher power. I think the mistake that sometimes we make when we're looking at professed men of God is to think that because they've given over control to the higher power that somehow they're resigned to an outcome and they don't burn to win. They're just okay with whatever happens. Scotty burns to win, He's just not going to burn down the house in the process.
Speaker 2: Okay, At what point do we dip our toe into the Scotty Tiger early comparisons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we need to back off. Tiger was one of one. I mean, let's just let's step back for a second. If you want to do raw numbers, Scotty's twenty nine, just turn he has seventeen wins for majors. He won four times in twenty two, two times in twenty three, seven times in twenty forties one four so far. I'll give him conservatively one more win, maybe two. So Tiger at the same age of twenty nine had won forty tournaments forty to seventeen and had eight majors versus four. Tiger had ten seasons counted ten where he won five or more times. Tiger ended up with eighty two wins. You're looking for sort of you know, there's some ball striking comparisons that you can make in terms of sheer dominance over his peers. That's legitimate. Bradle has done that. I think in terms of gap between number one in the world and everyone else, I would say it this way. When Tiger won the US Open at Pebble Beach in twenty by fifteen shots, the gap between number one in the world and everyone else was never wider, not just in golf, maybe in any sport. Then it was right there. Tiger was on the shores of the Monterey Peninsula. Everybody else was in a row boat somewhere near Australia. Use that same analogy, I would say, right now, Scotty is on the shore the California shores, and everybody else is somewhere near Hawaii. Still quite a gap. Now, I will say, if you gain this out, you can begin to convince yourself that he could crawl into tiger major championship territory someday. And that's predicated on staying healthy and all of that. And we all sort of agree that Scotty's You never do know. That's the lesson of the last thirty years, Dan. You never do know what's going on in someone's life. But it looks and feels like Scotty has all of that taken care of it, has all of it together, so it would be a question of health and motivation. So he's four majors right now. Let's just say between twenty nine thirty five players absolute prime, Scotty wins one major year as we sit here right now, that doesn't seem far fetched. That would get him to ten majors. That would put him ahead of some bedrock legends of the sport. That would put him ahead of Ben Hogan and Gary Player. Then you say, okay, between thirty five and thirty eight, could he get a couple of more Reasonably you could say yes, that would put him at you know, at twelve thirteen, and then you're asking for maybe three or four more majors up until say in his early mid forties, and he would have a crack. We'd be in serious discussions about getting the fifteen. That's where Tiger's at, long ways away a dominant player and absent the kind of you know, sort of buzzy storylines that a company modern athletics celebrity we are going to have to enjoyce for the pure athletic achievement, because he will not dabble in that other stuff. He's not going to the met galand he's not going to Mediterranean on a yacht. You're not going to see a whole ton of him on Instagram except for what he does on the golf course. That's about it. Enjoy it. He's a hell of a player.
Speaker 2: He's a rich Lerner Golf Channel host joining us from Port Rush, the coverage with Golf Channel, Peacock and of course NBC. I liken him a little bit to the Joker that he just shows up and plays. He's not exciting how he plays. He does love going home, and there's just a this is what I do. This is my job, and I go do that job and then my job is done. After that, where's a lot of athletes, Hey I did that. Now my job is different. But I need to be out there. I need to be talking. I'm selling something, I'm a brand, you know all of these things. Whereas Joker one day just walks away, like I just feel like you just say that that's it. I'm done, and you're talking about Scotty Like he said, golf doesn't define me. So he may just say I've done what I wanted to do. Now it's time to do something else. Or I have a calling to do something else. You know, we brought up Mike Trout, Pete Sampras, Andrew Luck, Tim Duncan.
Speaker 3: They just this is what I do, but this isn't who I am.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they I think what people are getting at, and I like the comparison to Joker. You know, I watched Joker for the you know, I love basketball, you know that just you know, for the pure art of how he plays the game. You know, figures out angles, ground bound and still is able to dominate in a world of you know, high flyers. So I think, you know, Scotty, it's why is he out there? This is what he was getting at on Tuesday. And it's not for the financial reward. He's made ninety million this point. It's not to be beloved, you know, You're not looking for that adulation. It doesn't appear it doesn't need that from the public. He's out there because again, if heals, he has this calling. So what what is the calling? It's it's even given this talent, go use it, go inspire people simply by the way you play. There is no other ulterior motive there, which is unusual for Scottie. You know, he's not Bryson de Shambo, who's you know, so like nakedly and obviously in pursuit of love from the public, you know, and he wants to grow his his YouTube empire. It's not Rory where you have this kind of hope and heartbreak week in week out drama, which is very appealing. It again, is just this kind of spartan holy warrior sort of a vibe. And and he's more I would say at this point, he's more admired than he is beloved. I think he I think he will get to beloved status, you know, just by winning, just by by being great, being humble. Your humility is is kind of not the way of this world anymore, is it. I mean, it's we're really going to look at me period in time, and that's not That's not Scotty Scheffler. Again, he's just not going to play that game. So you know, we just have to sit back and enjoy this for for what it is. A a a guy who's all in for the right reasons on competing, playing the game the right way. He is a very good another way to say this, you know, like we say so and So is a great competitor. Scotty is a great competitor. He's a great game player. He I call him right shot Scottie. He's he has like a next level understanding of where to put the ball, what is the right shot? And Dan, I know you love basketball, he played it. I love hoops. There was a piece of video circulating on social while back Scotty playing pickup basketball. He played high school ball in Dallas. He was kind of not surprisingly, he was a glue guy, a defender and a rebounder. But in this one clip, he makes a simple bounce passing a little pocket pass to a cutter and the guy has a wide open layup. He misses it. Who's there for the follow But Scotty Scheffler to me, he was telling because he makes the right play, Like he has this understanding what is the right play to make? Now there's certain guys who just have that understanding. My only concern going forward is is where are the challengers? Who is going to you know, look look him in the eye and say I want I want a piece of this. And I don't know. I know, Paulie feels like we're in a little bit of a you know, a softer era. He's wondered, you know, where's Lanny Watkins, who would look right through you. Where's Nick Faldo, who wouldn't speak to you for eighteen holes? Where where's Raymond Floyd? Where are those those guys so be curious to see? You know, who steps in here and wants a piece of Scotti.
Speaker 2: I wish Tiger was twenty five years younger. I'm sure Tiger does too, because we wondered who, but who was Tiger's rivals? Like who constantly stepped up? You know, Phil found the banana peel all the time, But who was there? Kind look at all most of the memorable moments with Tiger, He's going against guys who weren't big names.
Speaker 3: You know, I would say, you know, there was a journeyman.
Speaker 6: You know, I would look the guys who famously had some success against Tiger would be guy just passed away? Any fewer the Tiger was twenty years old at that point, there were mostly journeymen. Think about Bob May at the PGA Championship at Valhalla, who took Tiger, you know, to a playoff. Think about rockum mediate Tiger on one good leg at Torrey Pines, the eight US Open. I will say, in fairness to Phil, you know, still won the PGA Championship of two thousand and five. He won a Master's in two thousand and six. He won a Master's in twenty ten. He shot sixty four to Tiger seventy five up. I'll never forget it twenty twelve at Pebble Beach in the final round. Phil, Yes, he slipped on that banana peel, but Phil had. There was a point in time where Phil figured out how to play against Tiger and how to beat him on occasion. VJ two. VJ was a hard man. VJ won nine times and four at a point where nobody thought anybody but Tiger could be number one, and VJ became number one. But yeah, at this point, think Rory's the best bet. Rory's thirty six. But after that, I don't see I don't see anybody at currently that looks like they're at Scotti's level.
Speaker 3: Do you get to go out and play port rush today?
Speaker 6: No, thankfully. I played with Pauli last week at Royal Dublin. I hit thirteen diving death hooks and you know in the in the heather and the gorse and all the junk over there to traps through that looking for golf balls with my size thirteen's is just an unpleasant experience.
Speaker 13: Dan.
Speaker 6: So, now I took the day off from Port Rush to be with you.
Speaker 2: What is the toughest golf course that you know? The weekend guy can play the toughest golf course you think in America?
Speaker 6: Is I think? I mean from my money, Pine Valley you can get out of you get out of out of play on that golf course. You're in for a long day.
Speaker 3: If you can get on it, I would.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, Pinehurst number two was not fun. Oakmont was not fun.
Speaker 6: Oakmont's brutal. Did you play it then?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah it had played me.
Speaker 6: By the way, I'm curious. How was Taha and the American Century?
Speaker 2: It was beautiful, Like it's just it's sort of our summer super Bowl where you have all of these guests there and they're all there playing golf, relaxed atmosphere, scenery is wonderful and uh, we we had a great time.
Speaker 6: You have a celebrity just we have a celebrity story?
Speaker 3: Hm? Do we have a celebrity story?
Speaker 9: Guys?
Speaker 2: I mean I go to bed at like a thirty rich so I don't know. I kind of missed out on what's going on late night there? Yes, Paul I.
Speaker 5: Would just say seeing it in person the first time for us, the intensity of some of the celebrity golfers like Steph Curry, John Smoltz and others that were on the range way early, being very very serious about the competition.
Speaker 3: No, he's looking for you know something, you know juicy here, you know, thanks here, like game.
Speaker 6: I give you some I've covered, you know. Obviously the at and T Pebble Beach pro Ian back when it was the celebrity event, used to go to the Bob Hope, even been over to the UH the one on the DP World Tour in Europe. There is one at Saint Andrews Carnousti and Kings Barnes. I followed Bill Murray one day at Pebble Beach. You know, Murray riffing for sixteen seventeen holes, and when he's in the mood and he's on is like watching if you like comed He's like watching Tiger play golf and shoots sixty four, you know, and when Murray's out there, he's Carl Spackler. You could imagine, you know, it's in the hole, that kind of stuff, even though the ball is careening toward the Pacific Ocean. It's nowhere near the hole, but anyway, Murray on seventeen, you know the par three seventeenth Dan at Pebble, famous where Nicholas hit the flag sticking seventy two and watching chipped in in nineteen eighty two to part three oceans behind. Hits this horrendous t shot right up against the grandstands, probably thirty yards right of the hole. Couldn't be any worse, and he trapes his over the grandstands packed and he walks over to his ball, and somebody from the top of the grandstands stands up and looks down and yells at Murray, Hey Bill, Kevin Costner made birdie here, and Murray, without hesitating, looked up and said, Kevin Costner made water world. I thought that was exceptional timing. And then on top of it, he stoned his pitch shot to about three feet and made the putt for par So.
Speaker 2: That great coverage. Great coverage. Again, I enjoyed it as I always do live from the coverage at the Open Championship. Rich Safe travels home. Thanks for joining us, Thanks Dan, appreciate it. The rich Lerner Golf Channel I still see a little bit of Carl Spackler and Scottie Scheffler with the beard just a little bit. For some reason, I keep coming back to Carl Spackler, one of the great characters. Let's take a break, Last Call for Phone Calls, What we Learn, What's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Right after this, Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Last Call for Phone Calls?
Speaker 3: What we Learn?
Speaker 2: What's in store Tomorrow? On the program, I want to go take you back to an answer that Jordan Speith gave about Scotty Scheffler. He did this over the weekend and I played it earlier in the show, and it really sums up Scotty Scheffler. I think Jordan Speith, who's known Scheffler for a long time, both from Texas, and he had this to say about Scotty being a golfer.
Speaker 14: He doesn't care to be a superstar. He's not transcending the game like Tiger did. He's not bringing it to non golf audience necessarily. He doesn't want to go do you know the stuff that you know, a lot of us go do corporately anything like that. He's he just wants to get away from the game and separate the two because I know that he, you know, at one time felt it was too much. Who's taking it with him? And you know whenever he made that switch, I don't know what when it was, but you know, to have his hobbies, he's always with his family, you know, they're always doing stuff. I think it's more so the difference in personality from any other superstar that you've seen in the modern era, maybe any sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we brought up Barry Sanders and I got to know Barry his sophomore year, junior year at Oklahoma State. And I've never met somebody who was he avoided like personal things, anything that would look like he made a lot of money. You know, he famously called me up at Sports Center saying he was going to buy a new car. Well it wasn't a new car. It was a used car, and it was a Honda Accord, and he would in all seriousness, he was wondering how that would look. When he was with the Lions his rookie year, he was worried about that he just didn't care about material possessions. He didn't care about being a star. He didn't care about any of that stuff. And he's one of those guys that he got on the football field and you're thinking a guy who has that personality in his body, and it just wasn't when he got.
Speaker 3: Off the field.
Speaker 8: But he didn't care. He truly did not care. And Scotty might be that kind of guy.
Speaker 3: He just great. Yes, Martin was.
Speaker 4: Larry Burden that same category as far as his game was so exciting, he had so many highlights, but off the court, he wanted nothing to do with being a star or famous or anything like that.
Speaker 2: I can't speak to that with authority. Having been around him. He seemed pretty simple. But I don't know, Larry. I've interviewed it a few times, but I couldn't give you an opinion on that. Jim in Michigan, Hi, Jim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey?
Speaker 9: Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 15: I appreciated your insightful commentary at the beginning of the show. Three comments about Scotty's situation. Number One, I have a problem with turning the TV off. I think I've discussed this before.
Speaker 13: I'd rather not watch somebody that's got that big a lead and we know where the outcome is going to be, any more than I want to watch some Hollywood celebrity make a fool of himself at Pebble Beach. Number two, I think Scotty in its initial comments should have said something about the players he was up against. That's kind of a complimentary thing some of these players do, and I think it puts a human side to what they've faced. And Three, I love my kids, I love my grandkids, but I'm a little overdone with the family thing. I mean, give the wife's acknowledgment, give the child and acknowledgement.
Speaker 15: I don't think it's a time and a place. I realize he's got no control over that, but it just was too.
Speaker 3: Much for me.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Jim. Sure Mother's Day is a great day around your house. How about we go around the room. What did we learn on the program?
Speaker 3: Yes, Ton golf doesn't define Scotty chefis.
Speaker 4: Some may have a problem with that, but you're fine with it.
Speaker 3: I'm okay with it. I get I don't know. Not everybody has to be dripping with personality. The Seaton. What'd you learn today.
Speaker 2: You didn't find Tiger to be very exciting, not as an interview No, because he doesn't want to be. If if he wanted to be, he would be great. Marvin, what about you?
Speaker 4: You think Teal is overrated?
Speaker 15: I do?
Speaker 9: I do?
Speaker 3: Paulie, what did you learn today? Play is association?
Speaker 9: Todd?
Speaker 3: What did I learn?
Speaker 6: We all learn?
Speaker 4: You're not sure what hit the cutting room flow, but you maybe in two or three scenes when Happy Gilmore Too comes out on Friday.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for a job, Express Employment Professionals never charges you a fee. Go to expresspros dot com. Expresspros dot com. If you're looking for a new job. Great to be back. We'll do it again tomorrow. Thanks for joining us. Have a great day.