Speaker 1: It's a Thursday.
Speaker 2: It's a really good guest list. We do not leave any stones unturned on FT. If you want us to cover it, we're gonna cover it. Dodger's story, We're gonna cover it fair foul. I actually want to make sure we have a lot of time for that, guys, So if you don't mind, we're going to charge nice and early today to make sure we get full thoughts on what's going on and how it could possibly be the reason why the Orioles don't make the playoffs. You laugh now, but there's a chance Baltimore misses the postseason by one game. Even if they miss it by two games, they can look at the Brian Baker asset that they traded away, shut them down for five.
Speaker 1: Hours the other day, and then this loss. So let's charge.
Speaker 3: Charge out.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I want to get quick thoughts from you guys, and then we'll start to unravel some pictures, video and sound. Kevin, what is fair or foul in baseball? And why can't we figure it out with all of the technology that we have in the world.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what it made me initially think about, what did Austin Power say we need sharks? With freaking laser beams. I think it's about time we get some laser beams on top of these foul poles.
Speaker 1: Doctor Ebel, it's already yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'll bring it. We need sharks with freaking laser beams.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But wouldn't that be one million dollars? Isn't that what?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 5: Isn't that what Major leag Baseball was afraid of thirty million dollars for laser beams on our on our fair poles. They're not foul poles or fair poles. They're not foul poles. No one has ever hit hey fair pole and they called it foul. It's a fair pole.
Speaker 1: Explain to me the images hereocrats.
Speaker 5: Well, on the left for everybody listening, we have the fat fair pole, the fair pole and camping yards, the ball clearly going over it. And then on the right picture we have the ball clearly staying to the right of it, which is a fair ball down the left field line.
Speaker 2: Well, this was ruled foul, and then KP the MLB replay command center in New York City, said call stands can't figure.
Speaker 1: It out the exact quote.
Speaker 2: After viewing all relevant angles, the replay official could not definitively determine that the ball left the playing field in fair territory, the call stands, and it is a foul ball.
Speaker 4: Well in fairness to that. Once it goes over the fair pool or foul pool, however you want to call it, it's a little bit of a gray area. And I think that's where we're at a point where the technology is so advanced, not only in our game now, but these other games you watch. Think about what they do in tennis, and I started to think about how tennis can do it in real time with serves and they're serving the ball harder than this ball is actually being hit, so they have the ability to do that. Yes, I know that the tennis court, the lines don't move, well either does the foul pole. The foul pole never moves. The chalk lines up and down the first baseline, the third base line they never move either. I do think it's time that we implement this type of technology. And yes, it's gonna cost them a good amount of money, but this is also players' livelihoods. And I know it's not gonna like change a lot for pete a Longso this guy's signed up for a lot of money, But a lot of players, the difference between hitting a home run and getting out is massive in their career. And yes, you're gonna say it's one at bat, it's one game, but like you mentioned, you know at the start of this show, this could be the difference in the Orioles making the playoffs and not making the playoffs.
Speaker 5: We can't get it wrong. That's it. Humans get this wrong. I don't blame the replay people. I don't blame necessarily the people on the umpires on the field. I blame the lack of why we don't have it. I blame the corporate reason for why we don't have it. Well, you know this, I saw the original Hawk Guy back in twenty twelve when they were gonna think about doing a review on fare and foul balls, and the tennis stuff did not work because tennis works because of the fact that it's hardcourt and you see, like the line is like this big from a ball that just bounces, so this is in and out, and like it wouldn't work on grass because at some of the some of the tests that they did, the line was three foot long and you're like, well, what is it tracking? It's tracking the fact that it's seeing the grass move. So we don't have that on foul balls. The worst thing you could have, the easiest thing would be a camera angle either pointed straight up or straight down the line, because the pictures that we just looked at, they're not even definitive to me because you don't know where that pictures being take from. It's not directly down the third baseline or first baseline.
Speaker 2: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's all in a setting that works for your family, and K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support.
Speaker 1: Hey, we've heard Todd.
Speaker 2: Father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them. For a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul. On this show, we have former players every single day telling it like it is. Current players sometimes have to be careful about what they say. Not in this case, let's go with Pete Alnzo first.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean we have we have hawkeye.
Speaker 3: I think a simple fix is like football, you have the pylon camera like with with the plane where it shoots right across the goal line. And I feel like for us, we could easily have a laser or a camera that shoots straight up.
Speaker 7: I mean, for me, I'm not the only one.
Speaker 3: It happens all the time to a bunch of guys throughout the course of the year.
Speaker 7: It happens a lot during the season.
Speaker 3: Obviously, this is a big game in division, so obviously this one's going to be a little bit more amplified. But this happens quite a few times throughout the season, more than you would think. And I think having a camera or laser shooting straight up. I mean, we have all the technology, analytics in the in whatever and funds.
Speaker 7: I mean, this is a I don't I don't see why we can't do it.
Speaker 3: But the reason why I've told it we can't do it is because every ballpark is different, and that is every ballpark is unique. It's not the same dimensions everywhere. So that's that's my understanding of it. Obviously, it sucks for us. It sucks, Yeah, sucks, but is what it is. And the umpire umpire and then the umpire made the call on the field, and and the UH in the review room like stood stood with that called. And that's that's what we have to live with. A move on, and we have to as a team and individually bear down and.
Speaker 7: And and respond respond to adversity.
Speaker 2: Peat on fire lately he's missing the home run though. His teammate Chris Bassett said quote on why this hasn't happened the fair foul technology quote because it would cost money.
Speaker 7: That's it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's literally it.
Speaker 2: You ask every fan of this game that's a true fan, every single fan would want those cameras. If you ask every single player, they would want those cameras. If you ask every coach, they want the cameras. It costs money.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's literally it end quote. John Hayman, Insider tweeted. MLB has a system that can show if a pitch misses the plate or is high or low by a quarter of an inch, but nothing that definitively shows whether it would be home run, is fair or foul.
Speaker 1: That's unfortunate. Balls don't lie on x PGA.
Speaker 2: That ball went one hundred and seventy four point three miles an hour off the tee with a fifteen foot left to right fate. He swung his club one hundred nineteen point two miles an hour. It landed three hundred and eleven yards away. MLB, How the bleep are we supposed to know where that ball went?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: I think about you know, I've I've seen it, especially like in Wrigley Feel certain days where it's windy, and they could tell you, hey, without the win, this ball would have gone X. But with the win factor it would have gone this far. And I agree with everything Pete's saying. He's spot on. You know, before I even heard him say that, I came out said we need either cameras or lasers that are going up there. These foul poles weren't designed for how big and strong and fast these players. If today's games are, they're hitting them way over these foul poles now. But you know whether you want to implement those cameras because those cost money. But at the very least, I feel like you can do a simple math equation. We could figure out like John Hayman was purporting, we could figure out a pitch to the fourth of an inch. We could figure out, hey, if the wind wasn't blown out southeast direction at thirty six miles an hour, the ball would have gone X. You're telling me you couldn't run a math equation to figure out if that ball was fair or foul. We have all the data on the ball, the way it's spinning, we know how far the ball went, we know how hard the ball was hit off the bat. We have all the numbers. You can calculate it very simply. I would hope it doesn't come down to a mathematical formula, but that is something you have in your back pocket too. It really just comes down to the excuse that every ballpark is different. I'll tell you what isn't different the location of the foul poles. Yes, every stadium has different dimensions, but those foul poles don't move. So to me, it's just an excuse why they won't spend money to get these things right.
Speaker 5: I think I think, yeah, I mean, I definitely think it's a no brainer. I think it's a it's a poor excuse. But the reality is, and Bassett said it, everybody wants this to be right. Even the umpires want it to be right. No umpires like, yeah, I'm definitely going to try to call this foul if they hit a home run. No way, no way, anybody's going to try to do that. Everybody wants it to be right. And if it is money, that could possibly cause the Orioles to not make it into the playoffs. Because that's the reality of it. That's why we all want it right. That's why all players, umpires, coaches, everything, playoffs can lean and sway on this last year we were Major League Baseball was at Steinbrenner Field because of the hurricane. They're at a minor league facility and Aaron Judge hit one over that foul pole. Now we're at a big league facility and it happened again this year. If somebody says one game doesn't matter, Ah, they lost by two runs, it doesn't. You know, you don't know that it would have changed.
Speaker 7: You're right.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it would have changed the outcome of that game, But I do know that if it would have, it could change the outcome of the entire season, could change the outcome of the entire playoffs, because the way that pitchers for the Orioles are pitching right now, the guys who they're getting back in their bullpen, Orioles could make a run in a pretty bad American league. And I'm just so against somehow punting on an opportunity to make the playoffs or missing the playoffs by one game when it's something that could be avoidable.
Speaker 2: The technology exists, That's what we keep saying in different ways. The technology exists. The sport is worth many billions of dollars. It makes many billions of dollars in revenue per year. Here's what I want to see, like, how do we learn from this KP to take the next step going forward? You know what I'd like to see this is entertainment, right, This sport exists because fans love to watch it in consume it. All I ask for is somebody to come out with a real statement. Hey, fans, you know what.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: It is messed up that we can't tell if it's fair and foul. Yet we can do AI on pitch tipping. We have ninety million people working in analytics in front offices. All great, how come we can't tell fair or foul? Well, we haven't set it up yet. Does the technology exist yes, one thousand percent yes. Will we fix it immediately yes? Can we do it tomorrow? Probably not. Will it be implemented for the twenty twenty seven season whenever that starts.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's all people want to see. You won't get anything.
Speaker 2: All you get is oh, I didn't have the angles, and then you're gonna forget about it in twenty four to forty eight hours because something else will catch your attention.
Speaker 4: No, I know we're not going to get a response like that, but I was when you mentioned entertainment factor. That's what I was thinking, like, we're trying to make the game more entertaining, and the child system has been very entertaining. I don't know if you've been in the stadium. I know Cratzy. You've been to some games, but when that challenge happens as a spectator, it is exciting, it's quick. You know, it adds to the entertainment value of the game. You're telling me this would not you know, and I know this is not a play that happens all that often, but it happens enough where if it does happen, and typically a fair or foul ball, a fair or foul home run is a pretty pivotal part of the game. It could change, you know, the outcome of the game if you have the ability to have a camera and show it in real time, and you know, bands looking at the screen kind of leaning waiting to see the outcome, and then instantaneously you're getting a result fair or foul, you know, a line, a shadow, a ball or something. I think that's what I think, that's what Major League Baseball wants to is to increase the entertainment value of the game, especially when people are going to the game and buying a ticket and coming to the game, and then for people watching at home, we want more entertainment too, So I think it's a no brainer major League Baseball. It's definitely not going to give us an answer. They're not going to give us a solution to this immediately. They're going to wait for this new cycle to change, and it's going to be forgotten until it happens again. But hopefully, players, I know, you know, we have a lot of bigger things or not, we the players have a lot bigger things to kind of discuss in the next the upcoming CBA. But hopefully this is something that they can bring up in addition to all the other things that they need to improve.
Speaker 1: They need to add it to the punch list. Lasers freaking lasers, man.
Speaker 5: Lasers and sharks. Add that to the punch list. No salary cap, get the non spending teams to spend, and lasers.
Speaker 1: Lasers for foul and fair balls.
Speaker 2: Some fans Orioles fans that are heated in the chat today are like they had the evidence video like, well, they don't think the video showed them the evidence they needed, right and and other people feel that way too. So if that's the case, there's a way to do this very very structurally sound.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, just like the challenge system.
Speaker 4: Well in addition to that too, because I do think it's a weird thing in baseball that you can't argue a ball in front of the basis, so I think it should just be the entire baselines. And yes, you know chalk wears some stuff, but the idea of the baselines never moved, you know, from the corner of the plate to the foul pole. So the fact that we can't even challenge balls that technically are in front of third base or first base is also wild to me.
Speaker 2: Sounds like we have some segments to do in the off season, but any other thoughts, anything else we're missing.
Speaker 1: Let us think we can.
Speaker 4: Get on a I think we can get on a shirt with a foul just a foul pole with some lasers, a.
Speaker 1: Fair pole with lasers, fair pool with lasers and sharks. Yep, we can work on that for it.
Speaker 4: Fairpool with laser.
Speaker 5: Lasers, the shark.
Speaker 2: Hey, time to take a look ahead, like I just mentioned, and Sea Geek's helping us out with this. There's only a few night games, so if you're looking to hit a game and you're listening to this right now, there's probably only three opportunities for you, although follow up to Yankees Orioles is.
Speaker 1: A good one on the list.
Speaker 2: But also we can start to take a look at the weekend too before I do that. Anything you want to throw out there that you'd like to grab a seat to.
Speaker 4: Mm, probably I'd probably go to the Oriole Yankee game. After everything that happened yesterday. I'd love to see how the Orioles kind of bounce back. Anytime you get a chance to watch a guy like Garrett Cole pitch, I'm all for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you gotta look ahead. I'm looking ahead to the weekend because I'm not going to any games on the out the rain out opportunity here on the East Coast. I just think there is you know, I think there's some you know something leading into this series where the Jays are going to play the Yankees in New York. The Yankees have to solidify themselves with or without Aaron Judge, and I think the Blue Jays are, like, you know what, we dominated this team last year. I think this is the time we can come in and pounce on a series. So I'm getting a ticket to the to the Bronx for this weekend Friday as soon as the Jay's coming down.
Speaker 1: I know what I'm doing Friday if I could. It's my dream scenario.
Speaker 2: That's what we do here with the Sea Geek segment, I would be shipping my way over to Milwaukee to watch Chris Sale and Jacob Mizerski matchup.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: You might be out. You might have to make sure you get there early. That could be a two hour, ten minute game something like that. Right, that's probably gonna go under the average if those guys are doing what they should do twenty punches.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I wonder what the over under on collective punches in that game is. It's gotta be it's gonna be a lot.
Speaker 7: Those guys punch ticket and.
Speaker 5: I think those guys, I think punch out guys. I think guys get strikeouts kind of like almost feed off each other. I'm not saying Sale might not, but I think I think miss may miss be like, wait, what he struck out the side? I want to strike out the side? What has he got seven? I won eight? Wait he's got nine? Now I won ten? Like I think, and Sale will just be like, oh I need a strike out. Yeah, Snider.
Speaker 1: Strikeouts are contagious, just like hitting. It can just is that what you're saying.
Speaker 5: I feel it. I feel it, and they're competitive. Two of the best pitchers in the National League this year.
Speaker 1: So if you want to go hit that game or others this weekend, ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory ten. It's there for you all season.
Speaker 2: Make sure you click the link in the description to download the seat geek ap and have the code automatically added to your.
Speaker 1: Account so that you can use it later.
Speaker 2: Hey, spot track with this little note about Max Munsey going past four hundred played appearances this season. He has a unique incentive package fifteen thousand dollars for every plate appearance from four oh one to five fifty, and then his twenty twenty seven salary bumps up twenty thousand dollars for each plate appearance from four to one to five hundred and thirty five thousand dollars from five oh one to five fifty. A healthy season out of monthy KP is making him some dough every time he's got a plate appearance, especially played appearance, not a b because he walks a lot to ching fifteen k take your base.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm changing my walk up song, say money, money mone every time I'm going up, just reminding myself I'm getting paid for every one of these at bats, additional to what I've already getting paid. But I don't think Max Munsey gets enough credit. Man like he he's, you know, one of those guys. Obviously, the Dodgers have so much talent on that team. But Max Munsey is such a valuable player, you know, well deserving of being an All Star again this year. I know he's a friend of the show, but I don't think he gets enough love, you know. He He's a guy who struggled early in his career, has turned himself into a multiple time All Star, been able to play kind of all over the Diamond, has really settled into third base, and the Dodgers are so much better when he is healthy and in their lineup.
Speaker 5: He has never had a negative war season when he's been with the Dodgers, and the Dodgers bet on the fact that last two seasons he didn't get over four hundred at bats. He's a chance to make if he only gets five hundred and fifty plate appearance early appearances two point two five extra millionw it.
Speaker 2: Max Wilson can Treres making noise shocker. Tim Healey talking about the Red Sox electricity uh and a guy who's done a lot for this team this year, but also was going at it with someone in the dugout after his ground out in the tenth and then that kept going beyond the last that bat of the game.
Speaker 1: So what was it about Wilson?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then nothing was into dinner. I was like no, I was like, nah, I'm good with that. Huh where dinner? Didn't He didn't name any specific play or for a restaurant.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Actually crave answers like that post game sometimes to just have fun with it.
Speaker 7: Maybe he was giving him bad fantasy.
Speaker 2: Advice, We're just bad life advice, telling him to like go balls to the wall on every ground ball when he is potentially a little bit banged up and he's just trying to play every day because he's better than who would be replacing him.
Speaker 4: It's so true because you know, there's a lot of things that are kept from the fan base, you know, in terms of like how we actually feel. And when you're an everyday player and you get to this point of the season, you're not going to come out and name every bump and bruise and soreness that you have. When you've been able to play for a long time this game. You understand when you're out, you're out when you've got to push it down the line. But most importantly, a lot of the success of the Red Sox comes from him being on the field. So sometimes you got to let the fans have it a little bit, you know, if you do in the in the right way. You know, obviously he made a scene. That's why we're talking about it. But you know, every once in a while, what happens, it's all part.
Speaker 5: It's all part good.
Speaker 2: Hot corunner time. The Catel Marte saga continues. So we will show you a little bit of updated quote sound from Tory Labello, the manager of the Diamondbacks. Let's start with Jody Jackson, who's a reporter on the Diamondbacks, and her tweet in regards to Mike Hays and who runs the front office. He was noncommittal on whether Kateel Marte will return this year. He did say he was hopeful he plans to talk to him face to face tomorrow. This came out yesterday, so we should have more news coming soon on what happens with Marte down the stretch here for a team that damn really needs him right now, Let's do this sound first and then we'll react to it. So Tory Lavello has to deal with these questions. He doesn't have a lot to give because I don't think he knows a ton of information yet, and it doesn't sound like there's a lot of communication going on with the team and with Katl. We hope that he's okay, right, and we put that as a blanket statement, but eventually, hopefully we'll get some word on what's going on here. They've said personal matter plus the knee, which he flew back to Arizona for. Here's Toy on his latest questioning and his answers.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Maybe I can answer for answer that question tomorrow, but uh yeah, maybe a little bit different. I had a little heads up last year.
Speaker 7: I didn't have a heads up this year where you.
Speaker 6: Want to go, yeah, well, we're gonna be fine no matter who's in that lineup.
Speaker 7: And we.
Speaker 6: Got twenty six engaged dogs out there that want to win a baseball game, and that's all I care about. And I will put in the best players that I possibly can that are going to focus and execute to win baseball games. This is a big boy league. And you gotta win baseball games, and that's what we do every single night. We try to win every game we play.
Speaker 1: I feel for Toy. I'd known Toy for years. I've covered him for a long time.
Speaker 2: He's been in the game for a while KP and he's definitely a big family guy. Tries to get to know everybody on a personal level with as much as they'll give. Obviously, you give people their space, so this must be killing him a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's hurting the team.
Speaker 2: He can't get much information to really be too helpful behind the scenes. And this was his reaction that we were listening to in regards to people asking how different this was this year versus last year when Katel skipped out for a little bit of time, and Toy was kind of saying, how he got more of a heads up last year and this year sounds like more of a blitz.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: First of all, I mean, he's been a game a long time. I never really kind of came across to him. I never got a chance to play for him. But after that, what he was just saying, he had me fired up. I was kind of looking around to see if I still had some cleats that fit, like, I'm ready to go play for him, and you can understand why guys love playing for him. Just in that short clip, he got me motivated to want to go out and try to win.
Speaker 1: A game for him.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think we it's hard to comment on everything until they actually have that face to face comment, but I think you could read between the lines he's not happy with the situation. You know, we don't really have a report on actually what's wrong with the knee, but the big issues here the lack of communication. When you feel like you've built that trust with the player that you've been with for a long time and they go out and do something like that, it's hard to come back from that. And I'm I'm excited to hear what comes out of that conversation when they actually sit down face to face and what sort of decisions are made.
Speaker 5: Definitely, I love reading between the lines, and maybe it's me jumping to conclusions. Tory's not too pleased, Like KP said, He's like it takes a lot. This is a big boy league, Like it takes a lot to get out there. He said, twenty six dogs that want to get out there, Like I love that Tory started it by saying, you know, maybe this is something that I'll be able to answer for you better tomorrow. But then you know him being an honest and he's always a good interview. He's always very honest whenever I've talked to him. That was an honest statement, And I think it's something that maybe it doesn't affect kad tell Marte, but the fact that kud Tell Marte probably, you know, top three, if not the top second baseman in the league. I get it. Mcgonagall's probably up there now too. You know, Jazz had a year last year, but when he's there and he's clicking, he's even a top five player in the league with MVP votes, You're just not gonna be able to find a replacement like that. But for him to miss this, I just hope it's not something super serious and he can get back soon because he's kind of bailing on his teammates if it isn't something serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you think this affects the team down the stretch here?
Speaker 7: Guys?
Speaker 2: I mean, like Kratz is mentioning he's one of the best middle infielders in the sport, right, I mean, I mean.
Speaker 4: I mean, let's not even talk about let's not even talk about like the emotional or psychological component to this. But you're talking about a guy who's getting MV votes every year, Like you can't replace the talent that he possesses. So from strictly a talent standpoint, it's a huge loss. You just can't go onto your bench, You can't go into your minor league system and bring up a guy that can do the things that could tell Marte can do at his position. He is one of one, you know, and he's not even having his best year, but you could probably put these statistics up against second basements across the game, and he's I don't even know. I would tell you he's in the top five. So you can't replace the talent like that. Then you talk about the emotional component of feeling like you have a teammate kind of quit on you. You know, you think that you're a brotherhood in that room, You think you have each other's back, and then when he just does not show up to a game and doesn't have communication with any of the guys, or doesn't have communication, you know, with the manager. So when you feel like they've been through a lot of battles together that they would, you know, be on the same page during something like this. It's a tough blow and it's a distraction. But when you got a leader like Tory Leavello coming out and giving a speech like that and that's just the media, imagine what he's given behind closed doors, letting you know that we don't need him. We got twenty six dogs in this room and we're gonna go out and win a game.
Speaker 2: Hey, for those of you that are on your phone's very often, or even if you don't use it much, you should check out your wireless bill and make sure that it is treating you well. It's summertime. You're feeling good, right, aj But are you spending too much on your wireless bill? And should mintmobile get involved now?
Speaker 8: Some of them has two college aged kids, gott They're always on their phone, whether it's they're checking their snap, they're checking their DMS, they're checking their Twitter. I need fifteen dollars a month because I need unlimited quality coverage that Mintmobile provides.
Speaker 2: They get that new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory that's mintmobile dot com. Slash territory. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: No catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required availability, speed and coverage varries CEE mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I accidentally said mc. I was thinking about just the guys that were playing well. I think he's a top three I think he's a top three second baseman in the game. But nobody ever sits there in the middle of a game as a player and goes man Farren Judge was up at this spot, we'd be doing good. Do you think about it going into the game? Man, we'd be doing better if we had Judge. We'd be doing better if we had could tell yes, you think about that, but in the game, you're like, I hope Jordan Lawler can step in I hope that you know an outfielder that we're that we're throwing into second base. I hope that Perdomo can slide over whoever, whatever they're doing, I get a Perdoma's playing short. These are not actual things that are happening. I'm saying when a team's scrambling to fill in for a perennial MVP candidate, you're scrambling to fill in and they're winning games right now. So as weird as it sounds, it might make the team come together a little bit more. I don't know. I mean, obviously you're always better with a really good player in the lineup, but you got to figure it out. The game is going to be played tonight, the game is going to be played tomorrow night, and whether this guy shows up, whether it's a family issue, whatever it is, he's not in the lineup. You got to go out there and win with the nine that you have, and I think the Diamondbacks have clearly done that.
Speaker 4: It's so true what you said too about just the team coming together, Like sometimes things like that happen in the game. You know, think about the Detroit Tigers. They go out and they trade Trek Scuobel and you think, hey, this is every reason for this team to be fractioned, and you know we're giving up on the season, and things like that bring guys closer together. So obviously I haven't been in the clubhouse with those guys. You know, I'm basing a lot of this off of what I heard from Tory Leavelo. Obviously, they still have a lot of talent in that room. They wouldn't be in this position if they didn't have that amount of talent. But sometimes weird things like this bring teams closer together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also just real quick to go back because I'm space cadet, but Kratz shortstop and third for McGonagall, you didn't actually say it. I'm just making sure we prevent the trolls from making the whole focus of the segment of position.
Speaker 5: It will, I will, that's.
Speaker 7: What you're talking about.
Speaker 1: The backwards hat. Yep, that's important, right, no catchers.
Speaker 7: Did he play second base?
Speaker 5: Ye see, I was thinking he was playing second base.
Speaker 2: He's short second, and yeah, I mean Katel's the second basement. And for the Diamondbacks, I mean, you guys played, so you know better than I do. But I just don't think you can get anywhere close to replicating what he does, or even replacing what he does.
Speaker 1: I know what you guys mean, Like the Diamondbacks can.
Speaker 2: Still play good ball without him, but damn when you watch him get hot, that's when the Diamondbacks suddenly look like the twenty twenty three version and nobody can get him out. To me, it's not the same hitting profile. But Laddie Junior had that in him last year with the Blue Jays. I felt like we saw that in twenty twenty three with Kittel Marte. Right, it's just like, uh, here we go. Kittel's up, Like the whole game revolved around him. It's the classic circle him in the lineup card. That's why I mean, you're missing your best overall hitter, right. I know Gabby Mourno is having a great season, Corbyn Carrol's really good, but Katel Marte's consistently been able to do this. I want to just go through the schedule too, right, because this is a wildcard team, this is a team that's playing well. They didn't do much in the trade deadline mix. They got large new bar, that's it. They just couldn't come up with much. I think they were trying for Clay Holmes was the name they were going for, and there was a minor leaguer on their side that the Mets kind of flunked physical wise or looking at the medical record, so they didn't end up getting another starter. But they do have guys coming back. EDWARDO Rodriguez has been on fire this year. There's not nothing there. Also, reliever wise, bullpen wise, Justin Martinez just return should be a big help. All right, So this weekend Cincinnati, then they're taking on the Cubs. After that, that's all at home. They go to San Francisco to start September. They'll be against Philadelphia, right, Yeah, that rolls into September and then I might as well just read it out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Here we are Houston on a road trip, Kansas City home against the Rangers, home against the Marlins. They stay home for that whole week and a half against the Yankees, and they finish on the road against the Rockies and the Padres. I don't know, like the win percentage or anything like that is to what I just went through Kratz, But I mean that's not an easy ride there. That's not a crazy challenging ride, but I wouldn't say, oh.
Speaker 1: They're full of cupcakes.
Speaker 2: That's probably middle of the pack in terms of what the schedule looks like on the eye test.
Speaker 1: The rest of the year for sure.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm circling September right there, San Diego going into San Diego to finish the season. Guess who's right close to them in the standings and maybe and maybe he'll be decided by then. The way the season's gone, probably not. Where are they going to be? Could Corbyn Burns start one of those last three games? I'm just saying. I'm just saying, you need everybody. Look, you need everybody. Very few teams with an MVP candidate are like, yeah, you know what, we'll be fine. No, you need everybody. The Yankees would love to have Aaron Judges right now. The Diamondbacks would love to have Kotel Marte. And it feels like from what we're hearing from Tory Lavello and just a round camp and the uncertainty about things, it feels like it's nothing serious. But then it makes it question like, well, then, what the heck is it?
Speaker 2: Let's talk fatletics, shall we? They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable. I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about it?
Speaker 1: Krats?
Speaker 5: Well, I have it on right now and I'm all about quality. But you know what, you know how good your clothes are, and you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt. My son sold one of my t shirts. So it's got to be nice looking.
Speaker 2: And if it gets a little bit chillier then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP. You know we like to mix in the injury reports. I mean we don't, we hate them. But here's another one. It's for the aas again. I mean we did Tyler Sderstrom conversation right yesterday was that yesterday?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Well, Jacob Wilson unfortunately also likely done for the season. Martin Diegos covers the team il for Wilson back to sacram seeing a doctor for his left shoulder and season is likely over. So this is the guy who's fun to watch when he's got it all going, cashed in, made some good money, hasn't had a good year. Kratz disappointing to see this news. For A's fans in general, they've just it turned.
Speaker 1: Into a nightmare.
Speaker 2: They never were really in it, and a lot of the young core that you're excited about has either not played well or is hurt. And you know the replies to the comments on that tweet where like is the last person going to shut the lights off on the way out? I mean, they're losing guys to significant injuries that also might even impact twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 5: You hope it doesn't. You hope that they're able to take this last month get it right so that come spring training is full go or even like you have a full off season to train. Because the reality is, and maybe this is a dark reality for ACE fans, this is the group that they're gonna win with. They've extended these guys. They've extended them to, you know, through Vegas. If you want to stay an A's fan, these are the guys. And it has not been going very well at all lately.
Speaker 4: Hey, and I know injuries are random, but we spent a little bit time yesterday talking about the facilities, and you have to wonder the amount of injuries that the A's have had and the lack of big league things that they have has this kind of caught up to them.
Speaker 2: Good point, all right, people, let's slap And first off, tomorrow's show will be a unique one, Kratz, Do you know what you're doing tomorrow?
Speaker 1: A Friday edition of FT.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know it's not jj Reddick, but I know it's a first time hoster on FT.
Speaker 1: His name is Josh Reddick. Joshua Reddick.
Speaker 2: Josh Reddick from Crush City Territory will be on the show. Katie will will be hosting this show. I know at least one guest that will be on the show for Friday. And he actually just received some pretty cool accolades thanks to a new stat that is judging first base and a little bit more on how impressive you can be at the position. His name is Alec Burlison from the Saint Louis Cardinals. By the way, KP, I know the Cardinals aren't in a favorable position, but not in an unfavorable position.
Speaker 1: Last I checked, I believe three games out of a wild card. It's not crazy to think that they could still go on a run. Here.
Speaker 2: Joshua Bias had that ridiculous debut and then he slumped, and then he sat what yesterday? But this team's got some promising pieces here, crazier things about it.
Speaker 7: I mean, let me answer this question.
Speaker 5: What's today's day?
Speaker 4: Is today August twentieth?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's August twentieth.
Speaker 4: If you ask any Major League Baseball player that goes into spring training and you tell them, hey, you can fast forward to August twentieth and you're gonna be three games out of a wild card. You want to take your chances with that. Every team would sign up for that, maybe aside from the Dodgers or you know, the top of the top, the elite, elite, but every other team, especially a Cardinals team that probably wasn't expected to get here this year. If you've told them back in February or March in spring training, three games out to go to the playoffs, to get a wildcard spot August twentieth go, they would say, let's do it. So they were in a great position compared to where I thought the baseball world probably thought they would be at. And yes, they do have a lot of great pieces. I'm a big fan of Alec Burlson. I love watching this guy hit. And I don't want to get ahead of ourselves because you guys a canna talk about it tomorrow and tomorrow's show great first baseman as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree. I think the Cardinals they've played themselves into this. I don't think the front office thought they would be where they are, and I don't think they needed to think they would be where they are. But it'll be, It'll be whatever it is. This is a positive season for the Cardinals, and I'm not like a, oh man, let's just find the nice silver lining and things. This is a positive season because they're gonna be playing meaningful games down the stretch here and that will help them learn for when they do get a few guys agreed.
Speaker 2: And also, if you are playing within the bedmgm app there's a no sweat home run token that could be yours to get your stake back in bonus bets if you don't cash in on a home run prop so go check that out and see if you've got it. In the BEDMGM app. Gambling problem or concern, there's help. Call one eight hundred Gambling