Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reisent Choice Media. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Hello everyone, Welcome to Native Lamb Pod. It has been a whirlwind of a news cycle. As we all know. This is a solo pod. I'm Angela Rye, your host, and I just want to talk about something. So I have this beating on in part because you know, the Seahawks are the division champs. We go to see what happens at the playoffs this weekend, So shout out to the dirty Birds. But I also my dirty Birds. I got another Dirty Bird fan coming on a second. I also want to talk about another thing. You know, my spirit feels cold right now. I've been talking all week about why ice is so cold, and we look at what they've done in Los Angeles. We saw what happened when they tried to take over the city of Los Angeles and the broader county over the summer. Since then, they have gone to multiple cities. Memphis, They're in Minneapolis, they are in City's Chicago, all across this country. In Redmond, which is not far from where I live in Seattle. So They're all over the country and they're doing what exactly right, and who is going to hold them to account? Last week we talked about how the January sixth ers, the insurrectionists, the domestic terrorists that attacked the United States capital are now the folks who are applying to be ICE agents. There's articles coming out about how some of them cannot pass basic reading comprehension tests. And these are our heroes, I think not so. Instead, today I want you all to hear from someone who has become a very fast hero of mine. You know there's that clip, that viral clip that where jan Lavan's ant slams her hand on the door, says not on my watch, And this sister said the same thing, not on my watch, especially when it comes to the city of Philadelphia. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon. I'm roach Sheeva lou the suref for the City and County of Philaulphia.
Speaker 3: And I say her name, Renaate.
Speaker 2: Good, Reney Good, Renay Good. This should not have happened, but we're here today. Let know that law enforcement professionals, real ones, not the fake, made up ICE. Probably Trump's a new army to attack citizens of the United States. Did you hear what I said? No law enforcement professional wears a mask, none, none, Those that come into our communities wearing a mask to commit crime. Thank god for our district Attorney Larry Krasner, who say he's gonna lock him up. And I'm saying now, we are not gonna whisk you away for them to hide your identity, because when you do it, there you getting arrested. There no whisk away for them to hide you.
Speaker 3: None of that here, None of that here.
Speaker 2: Law enforcement professionals do not shoot at moving vehicles, not saying fleeing, because she wasn't fleeing, she was getting out of the way. Law enforcement professionals do not stand in front of moving vehicles invoking an action that is illegal.
Speaker 3: No, we don't.
Speaker 2: And so we stand here today with all those who stand against the made up fake which you can call ice professional law enforcement.
Speaker 3: I don't call them none of that.
Speaker 2: I call them made up fake want to be law enforcement because what they do is against not only legal law, but tomorral law.
Speaker 3: So I'm with the DA and we will work with them.
Speaker 2: If any of them want to come in this city and commit a crime, you will not be able to hide nobody will wish you off. You don't want to smoke, because we will bring it to you and the fake whatever they call them because I can't put I can't say the name. But the criminal in the White House would not be able to keep you from going to jail. Be they good should be here today and to her family, we are saying law enforcement professionals are not the ones here in this city that would do that. But here's the last thing that I would say. Law enforcement professionals around the country do their job, and we had been fighting for years to build that bridge between us and our communities. Have one negative nutcase that causes this problem, and now we all have to fight again to let people know law enforcement works with communities. These crimes would not be down if we didn't have communities work with us.
Speaker 1: Thank you joining us now is Philadelphia Sheriff for Shelle Blau Sheriff my hero for the week.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 1: The signal is moving you like the sloth and z Utopia, So hopefully we can get this fixed pretty quickly. You know what I think we ought to do, Nick, is see if we can have the sheriff's team restart her signal. Thing one more time, and I'm gonna go ahead and just do a quick overview of what I heard. So one of the things that we heard in this video that I think is so important is Sheriff Blau talked about no law enforcement profession wears a mask. And why that is so important is because Congresswoman Jasmine Crockett just last year, so in this same session, but last year, introduced the bill in the United States House of Representatives called the Clear Act. The Clear Act would require law enforcement professionals, as the sheriff just referenced, to show their faces, to show their identity, to make sure that we know who they are. If you are doing something that is the law is legal and you're not above the law, that means right that you can show your face. You don't have to hide. If you look at some of the footage, you all know I spent my last week's episode talking about January sixth. If you look at some of that January sixth footage on the year anniversary is the fifth anniversary of the insurrection on Capitol Hill. These people were wearing these same kinds of masks right they were going into terrorize Capitol Hill staffers, members of Congress, their own vice president at the time, wearing masks, not looking any different from Ice. There's a clip that hopefully will end up playing on the show tomorrow where we show a gentleman who is an engineering degree an uber driver in Minneapolis saying, show your faces. And while you're showing your faces, also, why do you have a GoPro on your helmet? Shouldn't you just have a body cam. So there's all of that happening. I think we have the shareff back, We're and give this another chance, please cher Block. Can you hear me? Okay, I can hear you. Okay, now, okay, perfect. We got a little bit of a delay, but it's much better. I was just saying before you drop that you have been my hero this week. Is something to look forward to when you see a black queen telling people what time it is, not backing down at all. So I just wanted to say thank you on behalf of the culture.
Speaker 3: Thanks you.
Speaker 1: So I want to get into some of what you said on the video. You talked about law enforcement not wearing masks. Can you talk about why being visible is such an important part of the work you do every single day.
Speaker 3: Being visible and thank you for having me being visible and so that people would know who you are. So if you are doing the right thing, showing who you are, your face, having your badge on, having your ID on, so they can determine whether you are real or fake, because people walking around with masks don't necessarily be doing the right thing in our communities. And then at this point, if you are doing the right thing, you can show who you are. If you're standing on principle, show who you are. What's the mask for you? Like the mask agent coming into people's communities, you're confusing them, you're scaring them, and you're causing conflict. All of this was supposed to be about helping. None of this is helpy. None of this. See when you're talking about immigration, law enforcement professionals have worked together for decades. Immigration. When you're doing it right, get a warrant signed by a judge and go get people. But they don't do what we've been seeing for the past eleven months. And the reason why I'm speaking out because the last eleven months, I'm seeing people dragged down the street by the here, pulling on doors on vehicles, shooting in vehicles that are moving. This is what you don't do and law enforcement professionals don't stand in front of moving cars. You are trying to get yourself injured. You can injure anybody else shooting into a move and car. That builder could have went through that window, cross the street, hit the house and somebody in there could be injured. Somebody walking across the street could be injured, and just like property being damaged because that vehicle kept straight going and ran into other vehicles. This is the reason why as law enforcement professionals we do not do this wearing masks. If you about the business, can be about it.
Speaker 1: You know. So on this point, and this I think is so important because right now, everything that we learned and like know your Rights courses or online videos, those rights don't seem to be working. Right People aren't getting a chance to make a phone call once detained, they can't talk to their lawyer, they're not being allowed to produce documents, They're being held in places that are unknown to their families. There are all of these things that are blatant violations of our constitutional rights. And I mentioned at the start of the show, this is the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. Something that's near and dearior to the city of Philadelphia. Right, this is an opportunity for America to redefine itself as it says it is on paper. As doctor King said, be true to who you say you are on paper. So can you talk just a moment, Sheriff, about why they shouldn't do some of these things you talked about not shooting into a moving vehicle? What is the law enforcement professional standard for that? If a car is moving, why do you not shoot into a moving vehicle?
Speaker 2: Because anything can happen when you are shooting into a moving vehicle. One, you're shooting recklessly when you do that, because that bullet can go through that car to.
Speaker 3: The other side. It can be a housetairs go through the window and hit somebody. An innocent bystander who has nothing to do with it, can get hurt, can get killed, can get injured, and the vehicle, if you hit the person in the vehicle, it keeps going. And then if anybody's crossing the street, a child, an elderly person, anyone will be injured, severely injured, or killed. And then if the vehicle keeps going, it goes into other profits. And now you're damaging other people's properties who had nothing to do with it. That's why those reasons. And on top of this, this is the biggest one. You don't stand in front of a vehicle and you don't shoot in one because if your partner is on the other side, who do you think you're going to injure? That's why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when you reference these types of clear standards to you, even in the press conference and right now you're like, this is common sense. At what point in your training do you learn this? Are you concerned that ICE agents haven't even gotten this very basic training with these very basic law enforcement protocols.
Speaker 3: Basically because they're the ones that are out here now. And I have to put the distinction Immigration Office Immigration agents versus ICE because the ones that you see out there now got forty seven days of training. Forty seven The normal training is five to six months. And so what are you dealing with people who are very have little bit of training, just not enough to no learn de escalation, no common sense, know what they should and should not do. So I don't know what they're doing. Are they just giving them a gun to say go out there? That puts not only them in danger, but it also puts our communities in danger. So, yes, forty seven days is not enough for a trained officer.
Speaker 1: Yes, that makes sense to me. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. We have a video from Mayor Frey, who is the mayor of Minneapolis, and he's asked about whether or not they would arrest ICE agents who were acting unlawfully, the very thing that you said you plan to do when they do that in Philadelphia in partnership, of course, with the city attorney Larry Krasner. So let's roll this clip, and I want to hear your reaction on the other side.
Speaker 4: I think the question that you're getting to, which I'm not I have not wholly answered yet, is like you're asked basically asking can our cops arrest them? Yeah, from a legal perspective, yes, From a practical perspective to state the reality, yeah, it does get kind of hard when they drastically outnumber us and they have bigger guns than we do.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 4: And here's the thing. We don't want to create warfare in the street. We want to keep our communities safe. We're trying our very best to do that. So nobody our police officers, ice agents civilians. Nobody can act illegally.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to play that clip for you, Sheriff, because one thing that I felt I took a lot of comfort in what you were saying is if you act unlawfully in Philadelphia, you'll get arrested. He talks about being outnumbered by ice in Minneapolis. Is what is the state of play in Philadelphia. Is there the manpower the woman power to arrest ICE agents acting unlawfully if they come into Philly in mass.
Speaker 3: And laid that's what your disattorney, your prosecutor does. And that's why I stand with the DA in this city because he is telling everybody that if you come in Philadelphia and commit a crime, he will charge you. That means you will be arrested. And for our office, if a judge issued a warrant for you, then we will go get you. So when he says they're outnumbered, he basically he said, yeah, they can arrest them if they commit a crime. And so you know what, we would just have to beat both the numbers in the city. You cannot just come in here and do what you want to do. The cities need to stand up. We know that we have been working with immigration for decades because they had been doing it right. But when you get folks that are doing what they do today, it's not acceptable and it can't be and we are not trying to make it the norm in our country. We're not trying to have mass people come and act like thugs gangsters because those people get arrested for what they do. So you commit a crime according to our DA, he will charge you. That means you will get arrested and you will go to jail. That's the smoke. That's the smoke I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the smoke they don't want. So, Michael, my final question for you, I know you have to go is your position then is for example, there are ICE agents that were offended that a young man who worked at Target, which many of us are still boycotting. He works there, he said to ICE agent Fu. They were offended by that. They threw him to the ground in the entryway of the store, and they threw him into a vehicle. They've assaulted other people. You're not saying that your officers would arrest them on the spot necessarily. You're saying that a warrant would be issued and they would be arrested after the fact.
Speaker 3: If our DA charges them, yeah, then a warrant will be issued and they be arrested. See that right, there is a professional We are groomed to take insults. We don't get mad because you're cussing at us. We don't get mad because you want to say words out of him. As long as you don't put your hands on us, we do not attack you. See, this is where training comes in. This is where stamina comes in. This is where you put your big boy pants on and you can take a little insult. That's where training comes in. Forty seven days is not enough to be able to have people standing out there doing what they do. It's they hurting our communities. They are. So when you are trained professional, you know how to take all of that. You don't go beating up on children. To me, that's thuggish, that's douggish. And you want to be a gangster and you want to be a thug, that's not professionalism. That's not law enforcement. And be people around the country that are offended or about what I'm saying, I'm speaking the truth the power. Ask any professor about law enforcement and the standards that they have. We've been working with communities to build our relationship. Right now, they're tearing down the trust of law enforcement by these actions. People are beginning not to trust law enforcement professionals. I know they don't trust those in a mass coming out there cause they don't even know who there is. You know, there's fake ones going around too. Yeah, and that's when I say the word fake ones. It's because they don't have enough training to be out there interacting with our communities, because they don't do it on a daily basis. They don't do it on a monthly basis. They what they're doing. I just look put my hands up and say, this is not right. It's wrong. It's causing problems in our communities. And somebody got to say something and you got to stand up against this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is so good, Sheriff. We so appreciate your time. Y'all. This is Sheriff for Shelle Blaud. Please follow her. Make sure that you're clear about what she's saying about how we can manage and maintain through this really really difficult time. Sheriff. I'm so grateful for the standard you are setting about how to actually deal with immigration Customs enforcement, which is ice with their forty seven day training. But thank you so much for all you're doing, and I look forward to seeing on here again soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me and kick there.
Speaker 1: So y'all, I think that what is important to know here is that knowing your rights hasn't changed, but the people who are enforcing those rights and the folks who have to abide by those are changing. The standard is changing. The sheriff said something so compelling just moments ago about the fact that these people are receiving forty seven days of training. That's a little over a month and a half, right, a month and a half of training, and you're expected to understand what you learn in five to six months or as a career law enforcement professional. We're getting a lot of questions and comments, and so here's the first one from Ray Vega Ken Jonathan Ross, the ICE agent who murdered Renee be brought forward in handcuffs. Is there any attempt to bring him down? He needs to be in prison for good, And you know, I don't know the answer to that. I think what would be really compelling, y'all, is as you have these interactions with law enforcement, with well with Ice enforcement, because to the point that the sheriff so eloquently brought up and addressed. We don't know if these folks are actually law enforcement or not. We know that they've received a crash course and as a result, they crashing into stuff. They're crashing into our constitutional rights. They're violating people, they haven't done proper background checks. They're all kinds of things that ICE is doing improperly in this moment that are putting American citizens at risk and the people who are living here. And so I don't know if Jonathan Ross can be brought forth in handcuffs. But here's what I do know. You all should be calling your city attorneys, your DA's, your state attorneys general, and let them know when ICE has violate constitutional rights, when they have run a foul of the law, you should let them know. Perhaps that means that the DA in your city, in your county will go after that ICE agent and prosecute them right and a warrant could be issued for their arrest, and then they're brought forth in hand I'm not really here for the pageantry about whether or not someone has brought out shackled or handcuffed or any of that. What I'm here for is justice. What I'm here for is ensuring that people can safely walk about their communities. They can go to the store, they can take their kids to school. These kids can go to school without issue. And right now we can't say that that's the case. So I don't know whether or not he can be brought forth in handcuffs, But I do know that if your rights have been violated by ICE or by border patrol, because all of a sudden, border patrol is also on the street, right let your city attorney, your district attorney, your state attorney general know. Let's see we have uh. Let's see the UH. I don't understand what that means. Can every agent ICE agent involved in illegal and sickening acts be arrested and brought on Trout just gave my recommendation there, and then why is this getting attention and not the black American man shah bab do the ICE in LA I actually have spent time talking about that. I hope that you'll run that thing back. We talked about it in last week's episode. The man that you're naming is a forty something year old man who was in Northridge, California. His name is Keith Porter Junior, Keith Porter was celebrating New Year's Eve and he fired his weapon into the sky. An ICE agent who lived in the same complex decided to take it upon himself and be the vigilante that day and confront Keith Porter based on what's being reported, h and asked him to drop his weapon without saying who he is or properly identify himself again the mask in another form. He shot and killed Keith Porter. And now Keith Porter's family is suffering, the community suffering. And so for those of you who are at home wondering what ICE has to do with us, Ice is so cold that Ice doesn't care if you're a citizen or not. Ice is so cold that it doesn't care if you have temporary protected status or not. Ice is so cold, And so as your commander in chief that they would revoke temporary protective status for people. He's saying he's going to revoke it for Somali migrants. He's already done that for Haitian migrants and for many others. This is what we're dealing with. So this isn't just an issue for people who are not citizens. This isn't just an issue who are people who are immigrants. This is an issue for the whole of America because the whole of America is being impacted. Renee Good, who was just shot and killed by ICE agents, is an American citizen, was an American citizen. So this is another question that just came in from money wheel. ICE has a legitimate role in law enforcement. Be clear, as an American, the police department are just as harmful, y'all like them now, No, What I like is justice. What I like is law enforcement that will stand up to ICE. What I am saying is we all know that this union is far from perfect. But what I do know is I want someone who will stand up and say not on my watch. I will not watch you blatantly violate people's rights. I will not watch that happen. And if you do, you're just as unlawful and just as criminal as anyone else committing unlawful conduct. That is the point here. This isn't a Blue Lives Matter podcast, y'all. This is about ensuring that our rights are protected that as they stand, and they hang in the balance currently with a president that would even question birthright citizenship and bring that to Supreme Court, we know that we It's all hands on deck, whether you wear the uniform or not, whether you wear the badge or not. What we know is that if you're masked, you're dangerous. What we know is if you got a forty seven day long training, you're dangerous. What we know is that if you are roaming the streets as border patrol and not on a border, you're dangerous. What we know is if that you're willing to throw a young man down to the ground at his place of employment, you're dangerous. What we know is that these stores who are cooperating with ICE agents, giving them tape, letting them know who's who, letting them know who's there in their perking lots, they're dangerous too. So what I care about right now is allies, I don't care what color you are, but if you're standing with me in truth, if you're standing with me in justice, if you're standing with me in righteousness, and that is on what the constitution, let me grab mine. So we clear what this book says. We want this country to be true to what it says on paper. Bottom line, nothing nothing more, nothing less, true to what you said on paper. That is what this is about. So in the meantime, stay warm, y'all, because ice is really cold. Let's be really focused about what's happening in Minneapolis, what's happening in Chicago, what's happening in LA, what's happening in your own backyards. Alert your neighbors, tell people what their rights, must, report these criminals to the relevant district attorney, city attorney, state's attorney general. Be clear that we have an opportunity to stand together and get closer to justice. That's what it's supposed to be, justice for all. Until next time, Welcome home, y'all. Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from my iHeartRadio, visits the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.