Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Sunday, June twenty eighth, and Ice got rained out. Don't even know how that's possible. There is an added bit of humiliation having to do with Yes, the Great America State Fair happening in DC, that's all about President Trump. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. This made me sad.
Speaker 2: This made me, This made be sad.
Speaker 3: This sad because look, whatever however you felt about this two hundred and fiftieth celebration on the mall, this Great American Fair that has turned into basically a massive pro Trump rally, look, Vanilla Ice was excited, like genuinely enthusiastic, Yeah about having an opportunity to celebrate a song that he's known for, a song that just about every American can sing. And it felt like he it was like a comeback for him almost in a way. He was pumped when everybody else was like, nah, no thanks.
Speaker 1: And now Robes the day he was supposed to perform, which was last night, Robes, after all of this back and forth and controversy and people bowing out, the night was finally here for him to perform, and he didn't get to.
Speaker 3: And I really don't understand why the anseled the official reason possible thunderstorms.
Speaker 1: They just said inclement weather. Baby, we have the official statement that they put out, but they said inclement weather now robes the UFC fight. There were literal we could see lightning almost in the disc.
Speaker 3: There was a lightning strike six miles away, which actually was within the radius or the distance where they were supposed to actually suspend or pause the celebrations.
Speaker 2: Which they didn't.
Speaker 3: And there were massive meteorologists like giving out reports saying this could be bad, this could be ugly.
Speaker 2: And still they did not cancel.
Speaker 3: They did not pause, they did not delay anything based on all those weather reports.
Speaker 1: But they canceled Vanilla Ice last night. Yes, the Great America State Fair which kicked off last Thursday. Was it right with Trump's big speech?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And you all certainly remember there were so many artists we go down the list in a second, but a number of artists when they first announced this, as soon as they announced that these artists were going to perform, those artists got backlash. Some of them said I didn't know about this, and they had all kinds of reasons for it, but just about everybody backed out within some of them within hours, some of them certainly within days. But there were only two robes that were left over. Florida still hasn't said a word. But then there was one more Robes who not only said he was going to show up, he was excited to do so. He was enthusiastic the whole time Robes. He never talked about politics. He talked about a party that guy was supposed to perform last night, And to be honest with you, I was looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: I was too, I really look and I was excited that he was excited.
Speaker 2: Enthusiasm is in short supply, I feel like these days.
Speaker 3: And so when I see someone who's genuinely enthusiastic about something as inclusive as music, I'm on board and I can get behind them. And regardless of where he's performing or in what context he's performing, he was doing so I do believe out of the love of entertaining, not about politics, not about anything else.
Speaker 2: And he says it was also about the love of his country.
Speaker 3: So for those two reasons, yeah, I'm one hundred percent behind Vanilla Ice.
Speaker 1: You can you can take them to task, you could question them for it, so you could say it's not. He just wanted it as a business opportunity. You can say all kinds of things robes, but his energy around this and to he didn't dip a toe anywhere into any controversy. He's stuck to theme. If you will music party, we're gonna dance like with chin eaters. He's stuck to it. So Robes. For that reason. After all of this, the show Folks was canceled. He was supposed to perform last night at the Great American State Fair. The show was canceled. Robes. It was canceled. I think it was less than two hours before he was supposed to go on. And the reason they gave was weather. Now, plenty of people immediately jumped on and said, wait, what the actual hell, And they suggested there was another reason beyond weather. Weather became robes for them, a convenient excuse for canceling Ventila's concert because they were worried about optics.
Speaker 3: Yes, some people have said that they believe the real reason why this concert was canceled was the threat of low attendance. Look, there would be big visuals. This was in fact, we'll we'll get to his audio. But before shortly before, as things were getting prepped and ready for this big concert. Vanilla Ice actually went on social media and was pumped up and excited about the concert tonight, and he did a three sixty kind of showing where concert goers would gather on the mall and it's a huge, wide expanse, and so if not a lot of people showed up, or not as many people as they would like to have showed up, if there was a small audience, it would have been ridiculed. And so a lot of people feel like that is the real reason why they canceled the concert.
Speaker 1: Though, I mean, what would it be they directed at Trump they were worried about, but wouldn't it be all Why not? Why wouldn't he be worried Vanilla Ice that he was the one that would be ridiculed. Why wouldn't they put it off on him and show they didn't come to his show.
Speaker 2: But they asked him to perform.
Speaker 3: And if they asked someone to perform, who couldn't actually deliver an audience, that's still on them. And look, I think one of the big reasons why people are saying that this is the real reason behind the cancelation is that Freedom to Fifty's website makes it very clear. They promise on their website that all the events will go on rain or shine.
Speaker 1: Had a game but the people in the back, Yes.
Speaker 3: The website promises that all events will go on rain or shine, and I also have they actually put up Variety did a whole article on this. What the meteorologist was saying leading up to this event the NBC four in DC. This is the exact quote from the meteorologist tonight, A few evening storms. Not everybody sees rain tonight. It's not like widespread thunderstorms are moving through. We're really not having any concern for severe weather. And then the prediction was that there may be scattered showers in the early morning hours. And by the way, no measurable rain actually occurred in DC last night.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they got it wrong. So the event organizers, they roll the dice. They rolled them big, and they got it. This is what you have to do. Here's the thing, though, Rose, we know this very very well in all of our years in events and whatnot. It has to be a high bar to cancel. Yeah, because all the work, the effort, the stage, getting people in place, get i mean get all that goes into putting a concert on, you do everything in your power to keep from canceling, right yet and everything.
Speaker 2: He was there on the mall with his folks setting up, it was all happening.
Speaker 1: A sprinkle does not rise to the level at all. It's not even close what they're trying to describe as rising to the level of canceling a concert. Roe. It just doesn't a sprinkle.
Speaker 2: No. I feel so bad for Vanilla Ice right now.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy to say? Through all this we don't know him personally, We don't know his politics, we don't know much about his life. We know a song, we know one song, and we know robes that he was excited about. And I didn't realize how much I appreciated into now how much throughout this whole back and forth about the Great American State Fair and cancelations that Vanilla Ice has been the voice of reason in it.
Speaker 2: You and I have talked about this.
Speaker 3: He just he ignored the noise, he ignored the negativity, and he just continued to lead with.
Speaker 2: Joy and enthusiasm.
Speaker 3: He was on Fox News, he was pumping this stuff, he was making the rounds, he was selling the concert himself, and his enthusiasm for this country.
Speaker 1: Does he have to Does everybody have to be immediately criticized if you participate in something that the president is invested in.
Speaker 2: I don't think we should.
Speaker 1: But that's where we are. Isn't it fair if you do anything that's in any way affiliating with this president, you get criticized in some circles. This is just one that wasn't politics. I was invited me Vanilla Ice was invited to perform at the Country's two hundred and fiftieth on the National Mall, in a venue I've never done at a time that's special. Yeah, I'll show up. Should we criticize it for that?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Should people create it? I mean you can if you want to, or think you shouldn't have anything to do with this president, anything to do with this event. And we'll get into why participating in this event was seen more so as as support of Trump versus support of the United States. But we'll do first, you know what, Let's do his statement first, and then we'll tell you the statement that freedom to fifty foot out afterwhids. But this was just a couple of hours before he was supposed to go on and perform for the advice, sounded excited about being out there. Oh man, got the monument right there. We're about to have a great party tonight.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be epic and you can see it. Look here, give you a big panoramic view.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be good to night. You didn't really fit in your damn jews on. We're all teenagers.
Speaker 2: Let's go Happy birthday America. Holla.
Speaker 3: You can hear his like drum like they're getting ready, but he shows he's doing a three sixty and you can see him and this is a huge air to phil.
Speaker 2: That's that is intimidating, I think for a lot of performers.
Speaker 3: But he he didn't seem to mind. He didn't seem concerned about it at all. And he put on his alongside that video, he said, this is a once in a lifetime Happy Birthday America. Put your dance shoes on. We're all gonna come together and be teenagers for the night. It got almost eighteen thousand likes. Look, that's probably the biggest post he's had in a long time. And all the comments, some of them are kind, some of them are mean.
Speaker 1: Wait what do we be mean? Is it politically mean?
Speaker 2: Not even so much.
Speaker 3: People are saying basically, not even God wanted this concert. God saw this video and was like, nah, like talking even the weather thinks you suck. I mean people have been mean, like that's I hate that for him because he's been nothing, but I think enthusiastic and kind.
Speaker 1: Why do we do this? Okay, Well, find me an individual who doesn't like that song. Fine, met anyone on on in the United States who doesn't like that song.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Hey, I'm not.
Speaker 1: You don't have to sing every word. You don't have to like Vanilla. I don't have to have is know his history and anything.
Speaker 2: Doom doom doom, doom boom, You're in doom doom, doom, doom, doom, doom doom.
Speaker 1: I'm just Robes. He said something I wish a lot of people would have said throughout this back and forth. Let's go party and dance and act like teach teenagers and celebrate Robes. Can't we just come We can't come together for a damn song. We can't come together just to celebrate anything because he's touched it. Ah, You're right, Robes, I just you know what this is what I'm gonna do. I didn't even play Oh man, got the monument right there.
Speaker 2: We're about to have a great party tonight.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be epic and you can see it.
Speaker 2: Look here, give you a big panoramic you.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be good tonight. You didn't fit in for the dances, joos on. We're all teenagers.
Speaker 3: Let's go more vanilla ice, less skepticism, less anger, less finger pointing, let's hatred more vanillized.
Speaker 1: Oh vanilla is the guy to bring us all together. But stay here, we'll let you hear how Freedom two point fifty announced that this concert was canceled, and why it was canceled, And we'll give you a reminder of the other seven X who were supposed to perform as well, and why everybody canceled. All right, we continue here on Amy and TJ, with tears in our eyes. Vanilla Ice has brought us to tears because Rose it is. There's something about you just long for us all getting together and getting along. And when there are things that do make us happy, we can't come together and enjoy them happily together. Like I want to stick with my group and be happy about your song, you stick with your group and be happy about the same song. Like, we can't even come together on something that we all do agree with. We all like to dance, sing, party, have a good time. I don't have any problem with Lee Greenen. Would I like some kid rock stuff?
Speaker 3: Stay with you?
Speaker 1: I mean all these things. We can't just party together.
Speaker 3: If music can't bring us together, if even music can't do that, we're in huge trouble because that sports and music, those are the two things that I feel like have always consistently brought us back together and brought people who wouldn't ordinarily party together or hang together to suddenly enjoy the same thing together.
Speaker 1: So, yes, two different halftime shows. You remember that, Yes.
Speaker 3: We had two different halftime shows. We have counterprogramming for everything it feels like now. And look, I'm concerned because, yes, we were hoping Vanilla Ice would still go on, because he was one of two people out of a group that agreed to continue to perform despite all of the politics rolling around this big two hundred and fifty ath celebration. But like to think, and I don't want to think it, but damn, it's hard not to think that the Trump administration or someone aligned with Freedom two fifty decided to cancel his performance and use the weather as an excuse so as to not look bad in case the numbers weren't what they wanted it to be, or what the visuals weren't what they wanted them to be. I hate to think that's true, because that is so sad, that's so small minded. And yet they know what the memes would be, They know what people would do online. People were waiting for anything to point out from Yes, the reflecting pool is a part of this as well to now, yes, Ventillas's canceled concert for whatever reason, when the.
Speaker 1: Prison has had a rough go with all of this, to sat reflecting Pool eighty six forty seven was the vandalism into the grass. Yep, you still got the Kennedy Center. Baby, that's a really big deal. His name is all it is not down yet. And then you throw this in and yes, roll, there have been consistent to reports. Obviously, some people want to just are after the president, they want to embarrass him. But there are Look, there are some legitimate not concerns, but the facts are what they are. And the crowds haven't been overwhelming yet. It's not fourth of July weekend yet, so it's not.
Speaker 2: We're a week away, they're.
Speaker 1: Going to get bigger. But you know, some people want to criticize and come after anything that looks like the crowds are a little less then, so here we go with that backdrop in that context robes it just you want to give them credit and you want to say, all right, maybe the weather was bad and they aired on the side of caution. We just saw them a week or so ago not do so when it came to the UFC event. And now of course people are after this. But this was the official statement from Freedom Too fifty that they put out, and they put it out on x announcing that Vanilla Ice would not get to perform.
Speaker 3: Oh after that enthusiastic social media post, they put this out. Due to inclement weather in the area, the Freedom two fifty Great American State Fair and FIFA World Cup twenty twenty six Fan Zone will be closed for the rest of the day Friday, June twenty sixth, twenty twenty six. The safety of our guests, staff and partners remain our top priority. We are actively monitoring conditions and will provide updates as they become available. The Great American State Fair will reopen tomorrow at ten a m.
Speaker 2: What time of day did they put this out?
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, I can go back and look it up. But it was only a matter of hours before he was supposed.
Speaker 2: To perform, and they shut the whole thing down.
Speaker 3: And look, there's no word on whether Vanilla Isis performance might be rescheduled. And I think a lot of people took note of this. They didn't even mention his name. They didn't even say, for all of you Vanilla Ice fans out there, we promise we'll get you, will get you a you know, a new concert date. We know you guys were excited tomorrow Ice Ice Baby, the rain rain babies keeping Ice out, but.
Speaker 2: Not for long.
Speaker 3: Fun like they could have had fun with it and built it up and actually like leaned in on him and his fandom. I think to not even mention his name was such a slap in the face and people are pointing that out. They didn't even mention his name, but it.
Speaker 1: Was worthy of doing so. But this was one guy who decided to keep riding with you. He supported you, was out, He was overwhelmingly enthusiastic about it. Give this guy, this is one who deserved a little better from this group.
Speaker 2: You know what they call a fair weather friend.
Speaker 3: I know, I feel like it's really ironic given the reason why they canceled or said they did.
Speaker 2: But that's kind of what this feels like.
Speaker 3: If it works for them, okay, great, but as long as they think it might not or it could backfire, they will throw you under the bus.
Speaker 2: And that kind of feels like what.
Speaker 1: Happened and they had well okay, maybe they're not proud to have Vanella Ice, but the man, I love this. Obviously, we all love that song. But this, for whatever reason, who knew? All these years later, I have become a bigger fan of Vanilla Ice, Vanilla Ice because of how he's handled all this. But folks, remember it was Martina McBride see and see Music Factor, Young mc s, Morris Day in the Time, Brett Michaels and the Commodore's. Commodore's backed out pretty immediately. Brett Michaels, it took him a minute. He had a long thing he put out, He had death threats. Yes, so he didn't. Yeah, he didn't put her on politics, so he kind of wiggled safeund the way. There you go, Morris Day in the Time, Yeah, young him, see almost immediately is that I ain't have nothing to do with this. I didn't know about this sing and see music factory. That's confusing as hell because one of the leads artists on the song is not officially with the group, and he came out and said all kinds of stuff from sitting on the toilet in the bathroom eight minute video.
Speaker 2: That was bizarre.
Speaker 1: It was bizarre. Anyway, they're out make ten McBride long explanation from her, but her fans went after her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she was like in full defense mode of herself, like I didn't know, I wasn't sure you know this. I would never go into politics. I don't want to upset my fans. She was definitely concerned about the response from her fans that she heard loudly and clearly.
Speaker 1: Milli Vanilli. That was another confusing back and forth. We had one member who's actually deceased for decades now, and the other one said he was going to show up. But then Milli Vanilli, the actual official group who has the rights of the name, who are the actual artists who sang the songs, said hell no, So it was a mess. What I'm saying is it was all a mess. Then there were two Florida still has not said a word.
Speaker 3: But he's got a show that is scheduled for July second, and in all the articles they say with free tickets available here click. So I wonder, I didn't know how this worked. But in order to go to the Vanilla Ice concert, did you have to then go onto a website and register for those free tickets? Because that's the way it's set up for Florida. So then the thought would be they could gauge how few people actually had signed up for tickets, and look, people may have come and not realized you had to have a ticket ahead of times, thought they might just show up. So maybe that wasn't a fair gauge, but that could have been. That gauge could have been more of the reason than the weather gage. And that's what a lot of people are pointing to.
Speaker 1: So we got Florida is left, hasn't said a word, the thing is scheduled for July. Second, you say, what is he going to do looking at that? Is he going to look and say, wow, they're gonna embarrass me too. In the last second, is he going to pull out or is he going to go full apple bottom jeans and go out there and do his thing.
Speaker 3: Maybe he'll bring Vanilla Ice up for a collapse and I would be there for that.
Speaker 1: Robes, what if he brought Martina McBride and they're not coming.
Speaker 2: But no, but I would flow right in Vanilla Ice. I would watch that.
Speaker 1: I would watch that.
Speaker 3: I would you know what, we can hope and maybe maybe that will be what will happen.
Speaker 2: And then the Ice needs a win. I mean, we need to get him on the podcast.
Speaker 1: He didn't deserve what happened to him and it wasn't his fault. And he was the one who said I'm willing to ride with you and just do my thing and have a good time. You all go listen to that song again. It will put a smile on your face today. Ice Ice Baby. And we don't know what's going to happen down the road, but yes, Phantom rain canceled Ice in DC, and I'm sure we're going to get the answer. You talk about robes, what were the numbers? Did they see that not enough people signed up? If that's available, that'll leak out, that will come out at some point.
Speaker 3: Yes, But in the meantime, let's go listen to some Ice Ice Baby, and with that everyone we always appreciate listening to us I, maybe roboch alongside TJ. Holmes.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you