Speaker 1: Warning, today's episode contain spoilers for the original the historical pilot of Star Trek the original series titled The Cage. Hello, and name is Jason and I'm roseay Night, and welcome back to Xtravision of the podcast where we dive deep. It's your favorite shows, movies and pop culture coming in from my heart, where we'll bring you three episodes a week, plus news on Saturday.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, beat me up, Scotty or not, because Scotty is not in.
Speaker 3: This episode and that's right.
Speaker 2: Today we are revisiting the first episode of the Star Trek the original series, called The Cage. Now there is no Kirk here. This is Captain Pike. So come with us as we kickstart our trek through Trek. You can think of this as our own episode two because if you enough of you listen and the feedback is good, we will be back with more Trek in the new year.
Speaker 1: And of course, Star Trek is a landmark sci fi property in only three seasons, which is kind of like mind boggling to think about, Like the original show only ran three seasons, even the fact that it was made after this up ordered pilot that we're going to talk about right, then cut up and used for the actual on air pilot. This pilot was received and kind of disastrous fashion, although it is quite good and you could see a lot of the strands that became the vibe of Original Trek here. Just the fact that it got made and made such an impact in its only three season run means that it's simply one of the most important sci fi properties ever, and we're delighted to be talking about it. I mean, it's like a show that I think I've talked about this a lot. When I was like in middle school and started getting really into staying up late, especially on summertime, and on the weekends, they would play Star Trek on the local TV station back to back with Get Smart, so it'd be like two episodes of Get Smart, which is which was a thirty and then an episode of Star Trek and then two episodes of Star Trek or something like that. So it'd be like from nine to ten it was like Get Smart, and then ten to midnight it would be Star Trek. And that's how I watched all of the original Star Trek, just like in weird orders and just like it, and it was so fun and I was absolutely delighted by it and became like a big part of my just like every night experience when I was that age. How did you first get into try?
Speaker 3: I actually loved that.
Speaker 2: That was your experience because England had a very similar version of it, which was basically you would have five thirty PM Neighbors, six pm Simpsons obviously the best, then six point thirty you'd hope it was Fresh Prince of bel Air, but if it wasn't, then it was usually Star Trek and that would run for like a solid three hours. So I saw all different versions of Star Trek. I saw the original series, I saw Voyager. I saw a really terrifying episode of Deep Space night and about nightmares that came to life that had me up for like a week, And yeah, I just I think this is such an interesting show. I'm so happy we're able to finally start digging into it because this was always our dream. Was like, if we're going to cover Star Trek, we're just gonna do it from the beginning, like there's no way that we're doing like choppy kind of bits and bobs, and people have always wanted us.
Speaker 3: To cover it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm really excited to cover it, and basically this is the rundown of the episode. Solid recap because this episode is crazy, really long. It's a wild breaks basically every rule of pilot writing, which I love. Then we're going to talk about the themes, which here are very much like leadership, women in the workplace, surveillance, propaganda. Also, those themes die into why the show didn't necessarily get made in this form too, so we will talk a little bit about the history and the production of the pilot, as well as how this led to the original Real Star Wars pilot. Depending on which version you watched when you were a kid, that will either be The Man Trap or Where No Man Has Gone Before, which were the two episodes which aired out of order as pilots.
Speaker 3: And Yeah, it's gonna be great. We're gonna dig in.
Speaker 2: So this is track through Trek now a quick production note which I'm very happy to say because I love holiday season. So this holiday season we are going to be sharing some shorter stocking.
Speaker 3: Stuff for episodes with you.
Speaker 2: With so many great shows and movies coming out this next few months, the episodes will help us cover some extra content, including books and comics that we wouldn't necessarily be able to get onto our normal episodes, so stay tuned for these stucking stuff is starting the week of Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: The first three cap all Right Star Trek the original series series one the Cage. We open in Space the Final Frontier, although, as we will discuss later in our little factoid section, we don't get the iconic Space the Final Frontier narration from our Captain Kirk because it is not Captain Kirk as Captain Pike. We're on the bridge of the starship Enterprise, though Captain Chris Pike and his crew, including Science Officer Spock, receive a warning of an incoming signal. It's a very old distress signal, like the old type, and apparently there was a ship like eighteen years ago, the SS Columbia, that was lost out here, and so they're thinking, oh, this is it. Pike is like, well, guess what. We're not going to check it out, though. We have to go to Vega, and unless there are survivors down there, or any evidence that there could be survivors, we're not going to go because it was a long time ago. Were gonna deal with a.
Speaker 4: Crash right now.
Speaker 1: Kind of a persnickety like no from Christopher Pike, who then goes to his quarters and you discover why Captain Chris Pike is in such a busy mood. It's because they had just been through a battle on Rigel for and lost people. And doctor Haskins comes in to Christopher Pike's quarters, and it's very clear right away that doctor Haskins is an older guy and Pike are like it's like a mentor mentee or just like a shoulder to like lean on kind of relationship with doctor Haskins. He comes in with his little doctor case, opens it up and starts making a martini for the cat, which is which festival I shouldn't have but that's okay, shouldn't happen.
Speaker 2: But also so Star Trek coded like so much of what is interesting about this episode is though it is very introverted and kind of way more serious.
Speaker 3: It does establish a lot of the kind of.
Speaker 2: Like groovy things that would go on to kind of cement Star Trek storytelling, whether that's romance, whether it's unexpected drinking, whether it is kind of the mundanity and brutality of war combined with kind of the craziness of a sci fi adventure.
Speaker 3: A lot of it is here, and it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very interesting that this is where Roddenberry chose to start.
Speaker 3: Let's be real, way ahead of its time.
Speaker 2: This is like a fifth season kind of version of Star Trek.
Speaker 1: No, that's very, very true. So Pike is like, he's feeling really bad about the fact that they lost people on Rigel and the stress of command is wearing on him. He's really beaten down by the whole thing, and he's like, you know, I'm thinking about hanging it up. I'm thinking about hanging up the cowboy hat, the spurs, the whole thing. I'm feeling washed. I don't want to do this anymore. And then Doc is like Doc, who is clearly kind of like his therapist as well as medical doctors, like why don't you just I don't know about that, Like what drink your martini? And then like let's sit on that, don't make any rash judgments. Then Spot calls with news guess what, cap there are survivors. We just we got another message from this distress signal and there are survivors. So Pike is like, fine, we'll head to Tallows. Pike is like a high strung guy. He's on the bridge a Yeoman comes in with the orders that he himself told her to bring at five am, and he's like, why are you here, guy, I talk you interrupt me on the fucking bridge and and she's like, I'm just bringing you the reports that you told me to bring it this very time. And he's like, all right, sorry about that, Yeoman, but I'm just not used to a woman on the bridge. I don't think there should be women on the bridge. And then he looks over and he's like, oh, yeah, my second in command number one is a woman.
Speaker 2: There's a Woman's like, but not you, number one of you know.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, you're acceptable. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also this is Michelle Barrett Rodin Brie, who is Jean Rodenbree's wife and who would go on to play many different characters of in Star Trek where Rodin Breed kind of write her in, but this was obviously meant to be a huge role for her. And as you will, we will get into Pike was not the only one upset to see a woman on the bridge.
Speaker 3: Let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: Pike gets the science support and basically this planet is Earth, like, they can land. They don't need any other you know, breathing helmets or anything like that. So Pike is like, Okay, it's gonna be me. Spock and four other Red Shirts were going down there. Number One, you're in command, although he the implication is kind of that he doesn't think number one it would be safe for her to go down there, and maybe she couldn't handle it, but he also puts her in charge, you know, without a second thought. So it's it's a quite complex kind of view of Christopher Pike. They go down there. It's a rocky planet, very desert like. Pike and Spok are like intrigue. They're these little blue leaves that amid a sort of frequency that we just never go back to that but it's very mysteriously. Chrisms very interested in it. And after looking around for a while, they find the survivors camp and the survivor of the Columbia. They're all old as shit. They're like, you know, they look like eighteen sixties prospectors, you know, their hair all wild, giving.
Speaker 2: More looks in the time machine like that, like cavemen.
Speaker 1: So they're like, what's going on with Earth? And Pike and Spok are like Earth is great, just like you left it there are new technologies now where we can like fly here faster than light. So there's a lot of cool stuff, but you know, we'll get you out of here. So they are preparing to remove the survivors to the ship when they meet Vienna, who apparently was a child when the Columbia crashed, and so now she's like this beautiful blonde, nineteen or twenty year old woman, and Pike is immediately like thrown that there's this hottie like out here on tallows. Meanwhile, somewhere else, a group of bald, veiny headed aliens or like watching this whole scene unfold in their cave, and the leader makes some sort of signal we can't hear them speak and we'll figure out why soon to his two like lieutenants, and they head off. Pike is packing helping pack stuff up so they can all go back to the Enterprise, and they're almost ready to go, and Vena's like, hey, I can't help, but noticing you're a man of prime breeding stock, He's like it's like what, and then she goes like, I think it's time to show you our secret and he's like okay, And meanwhile the doc is noticing that the survivors, despite their bedraggled look are like very healthy, almost too healthy. He's looking like good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, looking great, Like what's gotten shilling down that for a long time? Are you really survivors or are you members of this strange society?
Speaker 1: The leader of the of the bedraggled Columbia survivors then is like, well, that's because of some kind of secret that you're not ready for, which is what. It's like what? And then that guy, the leader of the survivors, tells Viena, Hey, Vena, go take Captain Pike somewhere private to show him the secret. And so Pike is like, okay, let's go around the corner and go to this rock out crupping and she's like okay, ready, here it is and he's like what, I don't see anything, And then she disappears and the aliens come out of the cave and stun Captain Pike and they take him prisoner. The rest of his crew is like trying to blast through the door, but it's no good. They can't they can't get him. The door is apparently made of some super strong material. Spock radio is the strip. He's like, hey, it's a trap. They've got the captain. We're leaving. Pike wakes up in a cell and he's in like this extensive underground cave base in this clear walled cell, and he can see Pike like this kind of bear pig creature with its ash cheeks exposed, like walking around and other like weird creatures, like a huge rooster.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The aliens come in and they stare at Pike, and Pike is like, listen, I'm the captain of the USS Enterprise. Our mission is totally peaceful. I'm a very experienced space captain, and you should let us out. Let me out. And the aliens are like, look, how simple this organism is a very simple, like dumb creature. They still speak with their mouths and stuff, and they were easily tricked by us, and isn't that isn't that interesting? And then Pikes starts to get like gangster with it. He's like, listen, I've got fucking We've got phasers, we've got like laser cannons, we've got the tor the space torpedoes, we've got all that, like we could destroy this place, like, don't get into it with us. And the aliens, meanwhile, are still talking with themselves like, watch now he's gonna get mad and threaten us. And watch now he's gonna now he's gonna try and break the glass. Watch this, this is it's a law clear.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also want to say huge another huge change here, or ironically a law change that really sets up one of the most continuously talked about canonical, uh hypocritical kind of things about Star Trek, which is the idereas you go you don't leave anything behind, you don't change a planet, you don't attack a planet.
Speaker 3: It's a peaceful situation that Pike is not in. That sage. Pike is like, I'm gonna blow your show. What are you gonna do it?
Speaker 5: Boy?
Speaker 2: It Now Honestly, that actually happens a lot, even though the Federation are not meant to do that. These motherfuckers are always getting involved in other people's business. But very funny to a Pike kid just immediately be like, I'm gonna blow up your planet, let me go, And then the aliens are like, oh, okay, we've had that one before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the aliens are like, okay, this one is quite spirited, and we'll begin with the experience quite soon. Spock and the crew back on the enterprise or studying the planet to try to figure out, like what can we do, and they realize that the underground aliens like trick them set them all up. The doctor points out that the aliens must have some sort of telepathy and ability to project illusions into their minds, and right now they might be doing that, Like we can't trust anything we're doing. They use this illusion of Vena the hottie. Actually he doesn't mention this there, but like that was a big part of it. So Number one wonders, like, oh, I wonder what the aliens want, Like what could they possibly want? Spots like I don't know, but he does figure just based on his readings that the aliens must have three times at least three times the brain power of their own. Yeah, that's why they're so big. So Number one is like, okay, well, here's my idea. Take let's take some of the cannons out of the ship, let's bring them down to the surface, and let's just drill our way through the door.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, thousands of aliens, off camera but mentioned, are simultaneously probing Pike's mind and looking at his memories and just reading him like a book. As he searches for a way out, and they find out about the recent events on Rigel and his guilt about that, and they decide to use that memory again and his own guilt against him. Suddenly Pike is like on Rigel and Vina is there begging like Pipe help me, Oh my god. Pike is like, he knows immediately, like this is an illusion. You're from the planet, Like we're back on the planet. This is not happening. But he's also I'm in my cell and this must be some sort of space zoo. But then the space barbarian that apparently killed Pike's crew members shows up and starts going fucking ham and Pike is like, fine enough, like this I just instinctively like I have to fight this barbarian. And a lot of it is because of his own very period correct feelings of must protect woman from yes barbarian.
Speaker 2: To that really interestingly, even though he knows Vena isn't really real, but yeah, he even he even speaks to.
Speaker 3: The aliens about that.
Speaker 2: So this is again establishing a much more complicated understanding of gender and masculinity than most shows at this time, which would obviously go into shape kind of the legacy of Star Trek.
Speaker 1: So Pike does manage to kill the barbarian and then Poofy's back going to sell with Vena and Venus hugging him, and the aliens are watching like absolute freaks outside the glass, and Vina's like, listen, and here the innuendos are like so strong, it's crazy to think, like in the sixties, what this must have felt like. Of course this was not this pilot was not aired, but you know, it's a very similar kind of innuendos. In the later series, Vina is like, listen, am I real? Am I not real? I can be as real as you want, like anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's like, maybe a woman be real?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what kind of woman have you fantasized about? Like I can be that. I could be anything that you want in the whole world, Like you know, just use your imagination. We could do that. And Pike is like, interesting, that's an interesting thought. And I'm not saying no, But how do I keep the aliens out of my mind? Do you know any way?
Speaker 3: I want? Like they won they want to be in my mind while I'm banging.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I do.
Speaker 1: And her reaction, even though she doesn't say there's a way to keep them out. Her reaction tells him there must be some. Meanwhile, outside of the cave number one and the rest, they're drilling with those ships cannons and they go full power and they don't see any change in the door. Doc points out that again, they're like, hey, uh, we don't know what to trust down here, Like they could be fucking with our minds right now and we would not know, So just be aware of that. Pike is chatting with Vena about the mind control and Vina's like, fine, fine, fine, if you promise to share whatever your most secret sexual fantasy is so we can live it together, I will tell you, like how to keep the aliens out of your mind. So she then tells him, Okay, the aliens went underground because of war, and that's underground over centuries, they developed them mental powers. But then they got their mental powers are so strong that they just got trapped in a maze of their own fantasies and delusions that they project apparently into each other's minds and everything and and so they're just kind of like a lost species. She confirms that there is this is a zoo and and then it becomes clear, Okay, we need a pair of humans, but like, where would the woman come from? Is Vienna even real? And Vina's like, no, I'm real, and again I can be like much realer in any way you want. But then all of a sudden, she screams and disappears in the big head alien like apparently like just made her disappear.
Speaker 2: We don't sucked him, sucked her back into his big butt slash testical brain uncle something like that. I did think this was actually very evocative and a great moment when she is, you know, talking to Pike and they kind of have this like picnic projection, and she sort of says to him, like, just tell me any fantasy, whatever your.
Speaker 3: Dream is, let me live it with you.
Speaker 2: Because I think she is aware that she doesn't really exist, but in that way, maybe they would let how to stay alive.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was very ebucative.
Speaker 2: And again the creepy, haunting, existential kind of throwaway moments that made star Trek what it is being seeded hit because.
Speaker 3: Then she just doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's like deeper There are deeper complexities as you drill down into Starturek, which makes it very interesting even for the period. So Pike is, you know, how do I escape from here? He's trying to figure it out. He can't. The aliens come over and they feed him. It's feeding time. They give him just like a gross like a flagon of a gross nutrient liquid, and the alien is like, you gotta eat that, and if you don't eat it, we're going to torture you with various torture illusions. And now Pike is. Now Pike is really fascinated because he's like, why not just make me think I'm really hungry? Yeah, you can't do that, can you? Like? There must be to what you're doing.
Speaker 2: And the alien's like, why not just make him have sex with Bena if they do that?
Speaker 3: But they can't, And just so this sudden, I guess.
Speaker 1: So the Alien's like, listen, motherfucker. You keep thinking like that and you're gonna You're gonna regret it. All of a sudden, Pike is like, oh yeah, bitch, And then like rushes at the glass and the alien is flinches, and Pike is like, Aha, that's interesting, Like you got scared when I rushed the glass. You didn't know I was gonna do that. You can read my mind, but you didn't know I was gonna do that. Aha, So now what's really what is going on? The alien won't stop talking about Viena, like Viena Vienavina, Like don't you like her? Since she hot? Like do you want something else? Like what's going on? Like what we want you to be happy here? And we made this like very young girl that is like totally interest you and why don't you want that? And we sense that, like you're protective towards her, so like it's got to be working on some level. All of a sudden, Pike finds himself in that illusion that you were talking about with Ana. He's back on earth with his two horses and he's talking about, oh yeah, I still go riding around here all the time and YadA, YadA, YadA, And it's definitely working on Pike, like he's getting sucked into it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like, oh, well, maybe it's not too bad.
Speaker 1: It's clearly based on the conversation that he had back with the about Rigel and the events of Rigel with the doc and the aliens. Clearly thought, oh, here's here's an example of him wanting to like stop being the captain of the ship. Maybe we use that to get him out of this, and so Pike. But Pike can't let it go. He's talking with Viena about the illusion. He's like, what are they up to? What do they want? And Venus like, fine, okay, listen enough, I'll tell you and then we can do weird sex shit, okay, whatever you want. The aliens can't read like base primitive emotions like hate. They never really expand on what other emotions. Possibly they can't read, but definitely hate, anger, strong anger feelings. You can't do it and the only like and Vena's like, the only issue with that is like it's hard to keep that up for a long period of time. Pike is like, listen, Vina, you're hot as hell, okay, And from the moment I came down to this planet, I thought, here's like a hot twenty year old in space. And I'm like, i gotta like I'm feeling stuff, but like I'm a captain of a ship. And Vena's like, well, you know, we can do it again for the fifteenth time. We can do whatever you want. Yeah, and then boom.
Speaker 2: Also, can I just say, guys, this this episode of it sounds like a lot is happening.
Speaker 3: It's because this pilot is over an hour long.
Speaker 2: It's like there is there is a lot of conversation about whether or not Pike is going to have sex with this imaginary woman.
Speaker 1: So then the aliens are like, Okay, let's just get very explicit with the sexual part of this, right, So the illusion changes to like a white person's idea of like a near East stern like space middle Eastern court from the medieval times, with like a green dancing woman and music that suggests like a harem and you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very orientalist.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Captain Pike is sitting at at a table with these two other like lecherousue guys who are like, oh, yeah, I love this planet. I love coming here. It's fucking you know anything you want, Like it's great. And then he the guy, the guy like directly in the Pike's right, says literally like, you know what I love about the women on this planet? They actually like being taken advantage of a holy shit, And Pike is like, he's looking at Vena Vina is the green skinned one's because.
Speaker 3: She also looks like hella old when in the green skin it's like a totally different look.
Speaker 2: I feel like they didn't understand the nature of pikes like innocence, Like he was being drawn to this kind of innocent, picnic fashion.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't mean he's not enjoying it.
Speaker 1: I mean he's definitely getting aroused. Like it's a very complex performance because Pike is both like trying to keep it legit and professional, but he's also like, damn, like, you know, I'm in space brothel with green skin alien who wants me like and finally he's like, I gotta that's it. I'm leaving. So he leaves the like dance area, and he's finds himself trapped all of a sudden. I guess he was like going to storm off to like jack off in the bathroom or something it seems like, but what it seemed like, But he finds himself trapped and Vena' is there and she's looking at him very erotically. Meanwhile, we cut to the surface. Spot A Number one are their Their plan now is beam ourselves directly into the base with a strike team. It's me Spot number one, Yeoman and three others and we'll get in there with our phasers and we'll break him out, and only Number one and the yeoman who got yelled at earlier get in and they get into a Pike cell and Pike gets like, insanely the Vina excuse me, it gets insanely jaeolus at me, like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Like I was so we were so close. I've been working on this like he's my guy, and now you two fucking bitches broke, ugly, ugly, broke, broke let YouTube, dumb bitches, show up, your ruin out, I'll hang now. The aliens show up and they're like, okay, Pike, look at what we got you. Okay, we understand Vina. Now maybe we don't know how to create the illusion right, and she's not everything you wanted, But now we got number one, your direct report who she's an older woman and it seems like she has a very cold exterior, professional exterior towards you. But guess what she fantasizes about you, Captain Pike.
Speaker 3: This was wild.
Speaker 1: Number one is like you, I can't believe you just did that, snitches around, and then she goes to and then they go and the yeoman who you screamed at earlier, obviously younger, prime breeding like, and I gotta tell you this, she loves sex.
Speaker 7: It's the aliens literally tell this the Christopher Pike like, she loves sex, okay, and Pike is like, I got a lot of.
Speaker 1: Respect for Captain Pike in this moment, because Captain Pike responds to none of that. He's just like, listen, when I get my fucking hands on you, you son of a bitch. He's like, don't be talking about those women like that. I'm gonna fucking rig your little fucking neck and the aliens your alien neck. Alien then sends a bolt of pain through Pike's mind, like fuck off. Pike's like. Pike then tells his number one in the Yeoman like, listen, they can't keep your mind hateful, like they can't read that. They can't read hate. And Number one is probably like, believe me, I'm already there.
Speaker 2: She's like I'm that also as well, Like I thought this was really interesting because then I was like, oh, is this why they get everyone horny on the planet.
Speaker 3: Because that like it's hard to be hateful if you're just really horny. But yeah, I mean number one, they ain't reading shit. She's pissed.
Speaker 1: Yes, So on the ship Spock is now in control, and he's like, fuck number one, fuck the Yeomen, fuck Crystaler, Pike, We're out of here, Like this is crazy. We get Federation, we gotta go, man Federation. We are out, Captain Spock, you can call me that now. I'm out of here. Pike. Meanwhile, and I'm not even sure what happened here. This feels like something that would have been edited. I mean, this is, as you mentioned, a long running episode that would have been cut down to forty two or something like that for television. So what happens is an alien is like crawling into the cell for unclear reasons, and Pike, who's like sleeping, manages to catch him and fucking drags of it in the cell and he starts like ringing this alien's necks, like stop doing the fucking illusions, and the alien's like, listen, I'll destroy your ship unless you let me go. We can do that. We can put crazy illusions in your cruise mind and they will destroy it for us. Meanwhile, on the ship, the aliens are like in everybody's minds and they're downloading like all the information that they can get about the ship and Earth history and all that Pike is then takes out his phaser and he's like, I'm gonna fucking blow your fucking testicle brains out, and he marches the alien of the cell and it's like, take me back to the fucking service now. And Pike tells Number one contact the ship, tell him we escape. The alien says, listen, just stay here, okay, pick one of these females and repopulate the planet. Like what's the big deal? It would be great, come on, And Pike is like, listen, send number one and Yeoman back to the ship. Here's the deal, and I'll stay here with Vina and we'll make it happen. So and it's unclear in this moment whether he's legit or or he's tempted, or if this is a ploy. Number one sets a phaser to explode while he while Pike is making this deal and is like, I'd rather us all die than we live down here like zoo animals and the other aliens show up and they're like, listen, we have all the enterprises records and all the memories from there. It's a crazy That species is crazy, Like they are nuts. They don't like to live as slaves. They are very violent, maybe too violent than what.
Speaker 4: We're used to.
Speaker 1: And so the boss aliens like, Okay, we made a mistake. You guys are too wild, like kind of crazy. You can go like no harm, no foul, sorry about the whole thing, but you guys can go. And Pike is like, well, let me take Vina and if she wants to come, and she's like, I can't. And it's unclear if wait is she reel?
Speaker 2: Is she like?
Speaker 1: What is going on with na Yeoman and Numero Uno? Back? Go back up to the ship. Pike stays on the planet. They look back and they're in the transporter and where the Pike, Pike is down there just chatting up. Vina all of a sudden turns like really old and messed up. And it turned out that after the crash, the aliens were like, we don't know what a human is. So they like fixed her put her back together, and they put her back together like all lumpy and shucked off, and Pike's like, nah uglay yeah. He's like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, and you know who, You're gonna stay here like it's fine.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Pike is like, so Pike is like, listen, I'm gonna go back to the ship. It was really nice meeting you.
Speaker 3: Sorry we didn't get to me.
Speaker 1: I had a great time with you.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so she walks off and then Pike like goes to the alien and is like, listener, feel like she's beautiful again? Can you do that for me? Like it's really terrible.
Speaker 3: He's like, this is off. Shut the truth like the macersions a guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, make her feel beautiful again, because I feel like really fucking bad for her. And so Pike goes back up to the ship and business as usual. The yeoman comes again with the daily report and Pike yells at her again and then she's like, but it's the report and he's like, oh yeah, that's fucking fuck. Yeah, you're right, my mom sigh you. She then as she's leaving, is like, can I ask you, Christopher Pike, who would you have chosen between me and number one? Wild question? What set the back off the ship? And then Doc Haskins is looking herround like what the fuck happened on this planet? And then we go to the credits. Incredible wild Up episode never aired, but is the historical pilot for Star Trek. Let's go to break and then we will talk about the themes, discuss some of the themes and the things we saw in this.
Speaker 5: Episode, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Okay. Very fascinating episode because I think it does a couple of things, and I think for me, the themes of this are really one the responsibility of leadership, Like Pike, is it a crisis when we meet him, is it a crisis of confidence about whether he wants to continue doing this and whether he's the man for this job? Having just lost people on rigel in a way that makes it makes you feel like he's feeling like I could have done should I have done something different? And those people would still be alive. It's also a very interesting performance from Hunter because his portrayal of Pike is definitely like a moody Yeah, he's very handsome, but he's also like generally more stressed out and on the edge of burnout. Like he's not the kind of swashbuckling, charming Captain Kirk that we're going to get. And I think that's probably a note from the studio is like, make this guy less like existentially troubled. And then I think quite clearly the role of women in society in the workplace, Yeah, all over this because you're clearly not meant to think when Pike flips out on the Yeomen and says women should be on the bridge, you're not meant to be agree with him, because everything in this episode tells you that Pike's wrong about that. Like Number one is great take when she takes over the ship, she plays a id role in rescuing Pike, even though we then go to There's also this other layer where the show also doesn't really interrogate whether women have any other value besides being hot.
Speaker 3: No, there's a huge part.
Speaker 2: And I also think that the stuff with my Gel and playing Number one is really interesting because it is this duality of Gene Roddenbury being like, yeah, women are sexy and men want to fuck them, and that's really important. But also when Number one takes over, there is like no fanfare, no hype.
Speaker 3: She just does it. She has good ideas, and I think.
Speaker 2: That there was something there that he would he really wanted to explore, and so did Margel probably. But interestingly, I think there's two things here that tell us a lot about where NBC was at, because there are multiple characters who are set up here as could have taken over from Jeffrey Hunter as Christopher Pike. Obviously number one is one of them, but NBC had actually asked her to be removed when they reshot the pilot because they said no one would believe a woman could hold the position of second in command. Now, honestly, sure, crazy thing to say at the time, but we get it and led to you know, different kinds of casting, including Michelle Nichols as Yes, the communications officer Hura that would you know, change American TV forever and even inspire Martin Luther King. But it's very interesting that even in a show where they're having that conversation when they reshot the pilot, that was one of the things they wanted to take out of it.
Speaker 1: It's quite interesting. I also think that you know clearly what Roddenberry is working through here too, is like, Okay, women are entering the workforce. Mm hmm, how can we work with them and also like not want to fuck them like that is It's like very much part of this episode is like, okay, you're two direct two of your direct reports like wanna fuck captain, but one of them who is like not letting on in a very professional manner that she would ever have those thoughts and the second one who's kind of a freak. And also this is sixty six. He's being made, so this is like summer of love. Stuff is like bubbling, you know, the sexual revolution, the whole hippie free love thing is like coming. And that's quite clear that the Yeoman is meant to kind of symbolize that rising generation with for your sexual attitudes. And you know, roden Berry, I think is trying to say, like, okay, guys, how do you deal with this? Women are in the workplace now? Like what do you do? How do you how do you manage these tensions that of having women here and how do you keep it professional? And I think it was from that perspective a really interesting episode, despite the fact that again Pike at the end when he sees that Vita's old, is like, you know what, uh forget it, but but I love targeting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like, look, he's like, this is this is where we're at.
Speaker 2: And as with any old guy who made stuff, you know, Geene Roudenbury has had his own controversies and stuff through the years. And the truth is, look, the episode has such a great interesting kind of complexity to those conversations.
Speaker 3: But ultimately at the end, it's like, well, a woman is valuable as long as she's hot, Like she can join the ship if she's hot.
Speaker 2: She can't join the ship if she's lumpy, even though it's the twenty third century and we have a doctor, you know, so no lumpy, no lumpy space princess here. So yeah, it's very interesting. But I will say I do just think like how cool.
Speaker 3: That this exists.
Speaker 2: Like you can currently watch this on Paramount Plus, even though Google results will tell you otherwise, but it is listed on Paramount Plus as the first episode of Star Trek, and it is so beautifully shot, it's so weird, it's so long, Like it doesn't feel like it should have been able to launch a series that the series that it did. But actually when you go back and you look and you watch those forty five minute episodes that are really esoteric or later episodes, you know, the Deep Space nine stuff where there's a lot of a hollow deck, you know, like and lots of like Shakespearean weirdness, Like a lot of that is seeded here by just how unconventional it is. Jason revisiting this, what is like your biggest takeaway as we step into potentially, you know, covering the official pilot that people got to watch in sixty seven.
Speaker 1: That it's good sometimes studio notes are good, you know, And that while I probably would not agree with a lot of some of the probably many of the things the studio critiqued about ron Berry, it created a better product because it made him have to figure out how to make a lot of these complex and very cutting edge societal sociological ideas more palatable, more mainstream, more graspable. And I think they did a good job of that. Like it's impossible to not watch Pike and then ab Pike with Kirk. You know, Kirk love being Kirk. There are moments in the run of Star Trek where Captain Kirk is like feeling the weight of being the captain, but honestly, he loves it. That guy loves sitting in the chair.
Speaker 2: I do think it's very funny that one of the biggest takeaways they had was like, Okay, so if the captain does get to go to an alien planet because he doesn't work with those women, make sure he's kissing him.
Speaker 6: Make sure he's fucking them, because because Cork is a lover, Cork is like he's having an alien relations It's very clear that they leaned into that aspect, right. It's like, okay, you know, we kind of like to think where Kirk has to choose between three women, one of whom want to be utilusion, but what if going pike rather, but what if going for a you know forward, the captain actually you know, starts missing around with some of these aliens. I also think that though they don't talk about the more you know, honestly almost utopian philosophical mission of Starfleet in this episode, you could sense it here in the sense in the fact that, you know, the Enterprise tussles with these Telosian aliens who imprison their captain and almost make him live in a zoo with a lumpy woman, and.
Speaker 1: At the end of it, the humans are just like, okay, we're leaving, like that that was that happened, and it's a clash of cultures and societies. But there's no reason to like nuke your whole planet, like live and let live. We're at Eagre and see you later. It was a misunderstanding basically, and that ethos will be much further distilled in the actual Star Trek. Well, they talk about like what the mission is and to your point, as you talked about earlier, like how important the mission is of it's a mission of peace, et cetera, and of studying life across the galaxy in the universe, but not like interfering, and you get a sense of that here, whereas in any other kind of space adventure of the era this would lead to like, Okay, blow the.
Speaker 2: Step, come up, hut it up, or put them in space prison or something. So I like that you pointed out Also, I mean, I think this is well known by this point, but hey, if you're on this track through track with us, we do now have a new version of Captain Pike, who was inspired by the Cage, who is in strange in your world's played by Anson might Mount, and the ideas that us seeing the Pike era explorations that occurred before Kirk. So I also like that now this is very clinical and has even been expanded, And that would happen because they would recut some of the pilot to act as flashbacks to kind of explain away some of it with Jeffrey Hunters, some of it not because Jeffrey Hunter was like, nah, I've done one pilot.
Speaker 3: I want to do movies and just turn them down. So and of course that gave us William Shattner.
Speaker 2: But yeah, if this sounds interesting and you want to see more from your kind of introverted, strange sexy pike, well guess what that.
Speaker 3: Is very much the world of Strange New World.
Speaker 2: So that's one of the newest Star Trek series that is taking from this classic episode.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be back with the back matter.
Speaker 4: A quick history of this pilot, and.
Speaker 1: We're back. Some quick facts about the Cage. The Cage does not begin as you noticed it, as we talked about with the iconic Star Trek mission statement on the five year journey to explore Strange New World, seek out new life and civilizations at Boldigo, where nowhere no man has gone before. That would be for the actual first pilot. The aired pilot of Star.
Speaker 2: Trek NBC began filming the Cage on November twenty seven, nineteen sixty four. Hilariously, they would then go on to cool the pilot to cerebral, too intellectual, too slow, and not enough action. Not to mention, and this is pretty crazy cost five hundred thousand dollars for that episode.
Speaker 3: But you know what I got to say, Sure, wop in price stag for the time, but guess what.
Speaker 2: Guys looks great, really looks beautiful HC TV.
Speaker 3: Like this shit stood up.
Speaker 1: I mean, this kind of tells you how how Titanic television was at the time. It's kind of like hard to think about now, but there were three channels period, and so while five hundred thousand is a whopping amount of money for nineteen sixty four, it also tells you the kind of like resources that they were throwing around Rather than rejecting the series outright after this, I guess you could say disastrous pilot that cost five hundred thousand dollars, the network gave notes recommissioned a second pilot, which ended up being Where No Man Has Gone Before, which led to the eventual series order for Star Trek, which came in nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 2: Even though NBC never officially added we did get the classic The Menagerie, which is one of the early Star Trek episodes. That this would have probably been the way that they put them on the BHS is they put them with two episodes, so you could imagine that this somewhere where they thought if they ever did er it, they would double up. They recycled a law of the footage, and then they actually had to hire, as I mentioned, a guy called Sean Kenny to come back and play Pike, because Jeffrey was like, Hey, I'm doing movies now, guys, which I love.
Speaker 1: And he was like in a coma, I believe like Sean k Well the Pike. The Pike of that version was like brain dead, so like they you could get away with him looking a little different. Even though NBC never actually air The Cage of the Menagerie, took a bunch of the footage from this episode and then cut it into the existing episode that was going to air that was now called The Menagerie. Geen Roddenberry had the black and white workprint the sixteen millimeter from the original thirty five millimeter negative and was able to salvage a bunch of scenes from that for The Menagerie. This left Roddenberry's copy is the only known surviving version. When the VHS version raised his version of the Cage.
Speaker 3: I want to find that.
Speaker 2: In nineteen eighty seven, this is what I was touching on with Bob Fernach.
Speaker 3: Basically, he found an unlabeled film.
Speaker 2: Canister returned it to Roddenbury and then that allowed Rodenberry to make it possible to complete a full color version, and the restored color version was broadcast on October nineteen eighty eight, the first ever television airing of The Cage, and it was hosted by Patrick strew Up.
Speaker 1: Baba Star Trek. The original series ironically has two episodes that count as series premiers. After the rejected pilot The Cage, NBC premiered Star Trek on September eighth, nineteen sixty six, with The Man Trap, in which the Starship Enterprise faced a monster called the Salt Vampire. Very spooky episode. However, while the Man Trap wasn't the first Star Trek episode there, it wasn't supposed to be the series premiere. Star Trek's second pilot is called Where No Man Has Gone Before, and it was the third episode broadcast on NBC, and the Man Trap ended up premiering first because I loved just production stuff, so they aired it first, even though it was supposed to go after dude, Where No Man Has Gone Before?
Speaker 2: Such a classic bit of Hollywood chaikhaneri like we have that with so many animated shows where we still don't know what the official NBC version or Cartoon network version was meant to be, and then they added, you know, the release version. I love that kind of stuff. It's weird as heck. Okay, so good production. Note Cage was actually filmed at Desolu Production Studio, and Star Trek would continue to film on that lot at least until the end of sixty four.
Speaker 3: If you're wondering how Roddenberry kind of got.
Speaker 2: Into TV, well, he was in Westerns, which were obviously the biggest thing of the time before Sci Fi, and his show was particularly inspired by NBC to ABC series The Wagon Train from nine fifty seven to ninety sixty five, and in his original Star Trek pitch, he actually used the wagon Train as a reference. The format is wagon Train to the Stars, the sci fi creator wrote in his initial pitch document built around the characters to travel to other worlds and meet the Jeopardy and adventure which become our stories, very similar to what would become that opening kind of spiel for Star Trek.
Speaker 1: And that's how you do it, by the way, like you say, hey, it's like wagon Train in space and it worked. Morris Chapnick who became Rodenberry's assistant and was a future longtime Paramount executive, recalled his first, uh you know, encountering of the star trek idea, admitting that, oh, it was the wagon train pitch, part of the pitch that gave me like something to hold on to. Quote, I know anything about outer space, but the wagon train of the stars that I understood, and that's how it got sold. Jane Robert or like, that's the way you do it. Well, that's it for the pilot episode of Trek through Trek. Hey, you want to hear more, let us know. Next up on Extra Vision, we have another episode of Exit Vision group chat with our reactions to Dan Tractorbers, Predator bad Lands and Gearmo del Toro's Frankenstein and a little bit more. That's it for this episode. Thanks listing, bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kolefman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Saul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi Our discord moderate though