Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: I am going to use example of our Seattle mayor and the reason for that is yet again, yet the fucking she has found.
Speaker 3: Herself being called up for a recall.
Speaker 2: This woman beat a black mayor whose politics are mostly aligned, but he wanted to keep the police force. She kept the police chief. She threatened to fire Black chief Shawn Barnes several times.
Speaker 3: Over and over again.
Speaker 2: She decides that she wants to fire Sewan Barnes, this time right on the other side of a mass shooting at the bite of Seattle while there's a murder investigation that's open. Sewan Barnes is at the National Organization for Black Law Enforcement at the time this crisis happens, and no less, she decides this is finally her window to fire him, since she wanted to do it before FIFA, etc. By the way, Nick, I don't know if we have any of the headlines. My family organizes around trying to make sure she knows that she can't fire him.
Speaker 3: We get black leaders in to see her.
Speaker 2: The day that she's supposed to fire him, she postpones it several hours well, her initial offer was a twenty five thousand dollars severance package to this man.
Speaker 3: Because of the pressure.
Speaker 2: Applied, he ended up with seven hundred and ninety thousand dollars of taxpayers money, no job, and he got to pick his replacement. Who is deputy chief Andre. I can't think of Andrea's last name right now. Sometimes you can be too left to know anything. You could be too right to know anything. Sometimes you can be too in the middle to know anything.
Speaker 4: That's confident idology's I agree with that, but also some of what she stands on ten toes down is ideology that some people have actually put deep thought.
Speaker 2: Into implementation, and she's not done that. She has targed there are people who are very progressive who don't represent the best interest of black folks. We know what the conservative you know paradigm is. It's awful, but she's one of them. She has targeted black people. You don't fire people on maternity leave. That certainly violates the standards that working family stands for. And I just I want there to be something for y'all where you can go back and say this was a mistake for us. This is not someone who represents our values. I'm a black man at the top of this amazing entity, and she would fucking fire you, mo like that's what we're dealing. I'm just being honest with you. There's one there are two black people left in her administration and senior roles Duayne Chappelle and our fire chief Dwayne Chappelle's over education that is abysmal.
Speaker 3: Should if work is.
Speaker 2: If it's about working families and ensuring parody and access and equity, then that means you cannot turn your black.
Speaker 3: You're black, you can't turn your.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying my dad started Connor Shady Katie, and I'm right there with him, because it is it is impossible to understand what this woman stands for beyond be like she is enjoying being incompetent, enjoying lying to the media. She is now being put on blast because she's firing She fired the police chief. But she's the one that held up the press conference and told them they cannot have the press. The press conference that's out now, that's public testified under oath.
Speaker 3: She gotta go.
Speaker 2: Tventy five thousand is all it takes for a recall. But I'd love to hear y'all say this one we got wrong.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is what I will say, he might this is this is this is what I will say. Right, We endorse, folks, We endorse more than a thousand people right every single cycle, just like and just like the just like the Democratic Party or the Republican Party.
Speaker 1: Right, and.
Speaker 5: Once those endorsed candidates are governing, you have a thousand governing experiment experiments.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: What we do, and we do this a lot behind closed doors with our folks, is we do have accountability conversations with our people. We do have serious, like real deal like this is what we established. This is where we are, conversations that happen day in and day out because we really do care about governing. I can't speak to all of the details here, but the thing that I will say is that you know, healthy parties are also self correcting and also are transparent about about where we're going, where we're trying to go, and where the distance is between those two things. But what I will say is what you brought up I don't think fits within. The reason why I said what does two left mean?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Is that you know I hear a lot especially I'm like on cable news. I hear all of this kind of like I don't know, redbaiting about like you know, communism and socialism. When you look at the candidates they're talking about like healthcare and child these majoritarian positions, like the things that they're running on are healthcare, childcare jobs like uh, taxing billionaires, all majoritarian positions. Where are the left positions that are too left for the mainstream right. That's the thing that I struggle with.
Speaker 2: Abolishing the police, putting people in positions that don't have experience because you don't you want to destroy.
Speaker 1: Them when we start talking to talking about abolishing the police is one example throughout the South, throughout the South, because what what my mom will tell you is that my mom does not want to abolish the police. She wants better.
Speaker 5: Wait, let's talk about that. Their very few, There are very very few to none sitting elected officials or candidates of all stripes who actually are running on abolishing.
Speaker 1: The Francesca hung is about to be the Democratic nominee for Wisconsin governor.
Speaker 5: And she's not she's not, by the way, like Francisco is not running on abolishing the police in fact.
Speaker 1: But it's I mean, when asked. Don Piker asked her and she said yes.
Speaker 3: And Katie Wilson shady.
Speaker 2: Katie also has past comments where she talked about abolishing the Seattle Police department.
Speaker 3: So to me, I'm just saying, and.
Speaker 1: That was just My biggest issue is that it is where.
Speaker 2: Black people have an issue around that's not safe for us, especially when yes, homicide rates are going down and crime rates are going down, but we want to make sure that it stays that way. So can we have, you know, a better way of interacting. We also know these police departments ain't super safe for us either, so they need to be challenged out accountaball, et cetera.
Speaker 5: I got two words, Brandon Johnson right, because yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wrong. I was wrong on.
Speaker 5: Good Love, because everybody was like red baiting about Brandon and about like public safety with Look in the history of the city of Chicago, you haven't had lower it's a violent crime, right, and he's engaged in a holistic approach to public safety where he puts investments where we know it works and it's not just the one side fits all just spending it on more police.
Speaker 3: Person's right.
Speaker 1: But let me just also say this, though this is this is the thing that this is the this is what I want to articulate. Like, Brandon has done a great job. And I was wrong about Brandon, I'll admit that. But Brandon Scott, who doesn't come from the same political spectrum, has done Yeoman's work, right, Frank Scott, Frank Scott has done Yeoman's work. Randall Wolfan, both of those individuals beat DSA guys have done great work. Andre Dickens. I like Andre. People people people have their own issues with Andre, So we don't have time to go down that path because I know you're ready to jump off.
Speaker 3: And doing great on it.
Speaker 1: I think Andre's doing great. I love Andre.
Speaker 2: I want him to interface a little more at the community on public safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean I think that you're seeing these people. I think, yeah, you're right, and I think that you're seeing these people. And I just wish that we what I what I want to while we're abolishing things and going down platforms. The only thing I would like to do is abolish litmus tests. That's the only thing I would like to do.
Speaker 5: I mean, look like we we align around that we don't have litmus tests at the WFP. Frankly, right, we don't. We don't do litmus test politics. We don't do that. We really try to approach things from the standpoint of like number one, how do we win? And number two like for real, for real, what are the policies that are actually going to prove improve the lives of working class people like in our lifetimes?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: And and look, I also think that.
Speaker 2: Well I want to be on the Seattle Endorsement Committee because this can't keep happening.
Speaker 1: Is this say less? Say less?
Speaker 5: We can have a whole conversation around that.
Speaker 3: Right has got to go, y'all.
Speaker 5: Going my other, my other, my other invitation is like we're an actual, like bottom up political party, Like I don't make the the endorsement decisions. If you have a problem with an endorsement decision, roll up your sleeves, get involved in the w P, and and then you know, organize the w P to move in a different direction. If you have a critique, that's my that is.
Speaker 2: Mind to be racist, Like I don't what I think, what is what bothers me? I'm just being honest with you. I love you like you're somebody that's family to me. I don't want you having people representing a part of who you are and what you stand for that are so out of lockstep for that.
Speaker 3: That's something like I want to actually have a meet with them, Like how could y'all miss the mark this bad?
Speaker 2: Like it's no way MOA is gonna be on the side of fire and wholesale black folks, especially on maternity leave coming up with fake investigations like I'm not with that. And by the way, maybe would break the news here. I think she's about to fire a deputy mayor who's also black, but forgot it along the way. Brian Surrett, so Hardy's looking for other jobs. This dude's got to be.
Speaker 1: Out on his ask. Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.