Speaker 1: Just we rented somebody's basement apartment in a house in Bronxville. We had not much money at all, but I remember asking my husband and his cousin, who's like older and is kind of our mentor.
Speaker 2: I was like, what do you think I should do? Is this crazy?
Speaker 1: And he said, why don't you go for it? I'll give you a temp job in our office. You're good at Excel. I'm good at Excel spreadsheets, and so see it's not as glamorous now. So I left Chanelle and did part time modeling and part time Excel spreadsheeting.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephanie Shostack and I have more holes in ones than Brian three.
Speaker 4: That is right, you have three holes in one hold in ones? Is it holes in one or a whole hole in ones? I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're the American one.
Speaker 4: Hi, everybody, and welcome. This is Off the Beat, a little podcast you might know with me, your host Brian Baumgartner. My guest today, Oh is Stephanie Showstack. She is amazing. She's a brilliant actor and she has a story that I think is just remarkable. I mean, look, I have a lot of great guests on this podcast with amazing stories. But a lot of time those stories start out with something like, well, I started doing this thing that I love doing when I was a kid, acting, playing football, whatever, and I pursued it. Then I got to this place I am today. There are great stories. They take a lot of work, don't get me wrong. But Stephanie, well, Stephanie did things a little bit differently. For one, she grew up in France, she moved across the ocean to the US for college. Then she went to New York and started a busy marketing career at Chanel. And then, long past her childhood or her college years, when she was twenty nine, in fact, she thought, hmm, maybe I'll take my first acting class and see what that's all about. Well, next thing you know, she's landing some of her first roles in major films alongside oh Meryl Streep, Steve Carell. Then she's eventually starring in shows like A Million Little Things. Now I'm gonna let Stephanie tell you how it all went down and what happened next, But just know this, she is delightful. She is a joy. I could not have enjoyed talking to her anymore. And I know that you're gonna love hearing from her and all about her new role if you will, as author in the mental health and wellness space. So here she is the very charismatic, the unique, admirable Stephanie show Stack.
Speaker 1: Bubble and squeak I love it bubble and squeigan bubble and squeiaga cook get every more left over from the night people.
Speaker 4: Well, hello, hi, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to be with you. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for being with me. It's lovely to have you. By the way, Uh, bonjour, monsieur.
Speaker 2: Do you have anything to follow us out?
Speaker 4: Jaulan, Come onpol.
Speaker 1: That is the hardest thing to do in a foreign language, because I've been here for thirty years, and expressions idioms I still stumbled upon them. So you just had a really amazing French idiom here.
Speaker 4: There you go. Have you heard that one before?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: You have?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Did your Paul fol Sakum and vash espinor yet?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I so here was the thing I worked for a long time. By the way, everyone, she's French. In case you didn't know.
Speaker 2: That, only half. Don't hold it against me.
Speaker 4: Sorry half? Well, So I worked with a with a full French director in the theater for a long time, and I had trouble in Paris. You know, I love the French people. I love it's beautiful. They're not always nice if you don't speak the language. And in fact, i'll tell this brief story. No one can see me doing this. But it was pouring down rain one time, and I'm even an I'm even an actor. I'm not saying i'm a I'm a great one, but I'm even an actor. And I go into a like a hardware type store. I don't know what they called him in France, because guess what it was. It was raining outside and I could not remember the word paraplui, which that I will never forget now that means umbrella. So I'm in there and I'm like uh, and I start pantomizing mean the rain coming down and opening an umbrella, and the guy goes ah ah, brings brings me back a light bulb.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Well he was just being French.
Speaker 4: He was just being a smart ass, exactly. And so this this French director said you just have to try, and he taught me to say japol fon say kamen vashi Espanol, which means I speak French like a Spanish cow, and yes, without question, there would be like a like a and then they would laugh and then they would start speaking to me in English exactly.
Speaker 1: So I have a theory about that. Okay, I'll make it quick. My theory time. My theory is French people. The schooling in French. You have to understand, we're put down from grade one, like you are put down by the teachers, as opposed to America, when you're like, you know, you're encouraged. Oh right, In France, it's like you're an idiot, You're ridiculed in school all that. So we that's kind of how we are in life. We're afraid to make fools out of ourselves. And so the second you make a fool out of yourself and speak French with communis Spaniel, we feel I'm speaking for the whole country. We feel put at ease and we're like, oh okay, now it's it's okay.
Speaker 2: I can make you a fool out of myself and talk to you in English. That's my theory.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, So it's not rooting inhospitable, it's them not wanting to sound foolish, speaking bad English.
Speaker 2: It's lack of confidence.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is the most protective I've ever heard of the French people. That is that is that is a theory. That is a theory that truly only someone from France would give. But I I like it a lot.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it make sense though?
Speaker 4: When yeah, it does make sense. But spoiler alert, Italy is right next to France. I don't know if you were aware of this growing up, But the Italians, that's not. They don't do that. So are they given more based on your theory? Are they given more confidences? Because they will, I feel like, go out of their way to attempt to I don't know, get you what you need, or like speak to communicate with you. That's my experience.
Speaker 1: You could kill You could not kill an Italian's confidence even if you tried.
Speaker 4: There you go, You're you're double down on it.
Speaker 2: And I have family. My aunt married in Italian, my cousins are Italian.
Speaker 4: Right, and they're confident and the French are not. Is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at our history. How could we be confident that that was a joke?
Speaker 4: It's well, yeah, exactly, I know, I hear, I see I paused because I wasn't. I wasn't going to go there. I was, I was, I wasn't going to go there despite our No, Actually we don't have any different opinions. I just I was taught why the French behave as they do by you. And that's very very interesting. I will remember that. I will remember that, just as I remember that phrase from now on.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've never worked I'm very curious to hear how your experience was working in Paris in the theater, because I've never worked on a French set or anything.
Speaker 4: Well, I will be honest, I will more, I will clarify. So I was, I was working in the United States in the theater, but it was a it was a Franco American I don't know, not Franco England, Franco American theater company, Theatre de la Jeunelum, and so half of the founding members were French and half were from the United States. They all trained in France at the Jacques l'coq. Yes, oh, there was some awareness. There we go. I love the book, but there you go. Well, this was a very very famous company and they performed for a while in France and in America. They eventually just performed in America. But I traveled overseas with with some of them to France just to visit and see their homeland or whatever. So but they would, to your point, they would in rehearsals, et cetera, they would start speaking very quickly. And I took I took French in school, so I did know French, but I think I was always bad at it. I don't know, I was bad at foreign language. So I could understand pretty well, but I could not speak it.
Speaker 2: So and you were Jacques Lecoque.
Speaker 4: No I was. I was. So they're like proteges. I guess they're some of their big students who worked with him and that you know, went to the school and then worked with him. They founded a theater company that was in the United States and in France. So I'm if it was Kevin Baker, I would be like two degrees, not one. I didn't. I didn't. I wasn't with Jacques. But but yes, it was. It was very interesting work and they were very interesting people. And I truly love the French, except you know, the language is a problem for me. So there you go. But that's where you're from just in Paris, rights in the suburbs, okay, just outside. Yeah, well, tell me a little bit about about your childhood there. Now I understand your dad. So you're half French. What's your other half?
Speaker 2: Half American?
Speaker 4: Half American? And similarly, you're half Jewish as well. Your dad was Jewish and your mom converted that.
Speaker 2: Wow, yes, you've done your home. Yeah, my dad's a Jew from Iowa.
Speaker 4: Oh, your dad was a Jew from I don't think there already Jews in Iowa. And I say that just based on I don't know my impression, I guess. Okay, So he was a Jew from Iowa. Yeah, and went to France.
Speaker 1: And went to France and stayed and met my mom and stayed in France. And so I grew up half in half and had an older brother. We grew up in the suburbs, sort of middle class, went to public schools, played golf.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know you're a golfer. I've done a little bit of homework too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, good, Yes, we're going to talk about that. Yes, So were you speaking? Were you speaking both English and French? Growing up?
Speaker 1: So my older brother spoke English without any accent. He spoke both and I came along and I refused to speak English. My dad would speak to me in English and I would just kind of like experience.
Speaker 4: Yes exactly. We were in France. We only speak French.
Speaker 1: But the reason for me is I didn't want to be different from all my friends and the kids, and it felt like weird. And yeah, that's why now I'm stuck with a French accent.
Speaker 4: Right? Was it about like having other kids see that you were speaking in English or or you wanted to also I'm guessing you wanted to have a just a could you have a French accent if you're speaking French? I don't know, but speak you wanted to be able to speak French like everyone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just didn't want I was very shy growing up and I didn't want to be different. I had a brother who he was my hero, but he was a big troublemaker. He got into drugs and so I think I was eight years younger. I didn't want to rock the boat and I wanted to make no noise. And part of that was just fitting in everywhere I went, and that meant to speaking French.
Speaker 4: Right. You say you were shy, did you have any sort of inclination or feeling about performing or entertaining when you were younger.
Speaker 1: Well, every time I went to the movies, I loved movies, and every time I left, I imagined I was this person on the screen. But I thought probably everybody did that. I didn't dare to entertain it the idea. And also in the public schools, we had no arts whatsoever, so never took an acting class until I was twenty nine years old in New York City.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had heard that, but now that is shocking to me. That is against everything that I would think that you had no arts in public school in France, no art, no music, no theater, no nothing.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: In junior high we had one hour of music which was music theory and the you call it the recorder, right, and then we had two hours of gym per week. So it was all just academics. There was no budget for any I know you would think France and the arts, but no.
Speaker 4: You would No, you think culture, right, I mean you think European culture. Do you feel like growing up there? I mean you said you didn't want to speak English and you wanted to fit in with everyone. Were you well, were you visiting other countries. Were you exposed to other languages? You know, I mentioned Italy or Spain, Great Britain. Were you traveling around because I feel like growing up in Europe you do have a more diverse base of experiences and different peoples and cultures. Was that true for you or for sure? Okay?
Speaker 1: Because my so at first, my dad's American, and we came to the States every year to visit his family, and then we traveled throughout the States. But then my mom married an Italian man, so I went to Italy a lot, and then through golf later I competed and would go to you know, Luxembourg and Belgium and Switzerland, and you just for golf tournaments you take the train.
Speaker 4: And now all right, now, how serious a golfer are you? Are? You do you still play?
Speaker 1: Not much at all? But I do still play, but probably like six rounds a year. But I was very serious, Like I competed in I played college golf.
Speaker 4: You played college golf.
Speaker 2: I did, but I wasn't. I was a five.
Speaker 1: When you say that, you imagine scratch golfer. I was five handicap was the best that I ever got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I do know from experience because I actually competed now that I think of it, in France at a golf course. Never going to remember the name of it, but I'll look it up. I'll send it to you. So there was a they started doing a Ryder Cup American versus Europeans for celebrities and I played in this and it was based in Monaco, Monte Carlo, Monaco, but that's where we stayed. But the golf course was up in the hills of France.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 4: Who won? We won? I think? No, we won, we won.
Speaker 2: I have the you know that I did that too. I did ride a cup celebrity in Whistling Straits.
Speaker 4: Oh you did it here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we won?
Speaker 5: You did?
Speaker 4: Wait? This is crazy? Why were we not there at the same time. Wow?
Speaker 1: We have to do the next They didn't have one this year in Rome, but next time is in the States.
Speaker 2: We have to you have to get out.
Speaker 4: That's right, Okay, we have to do that. We have to make this happen. But so you're what are you now? You have? Well what I was going to say before is I know the handicapping thing. The way that they calculated is different. I do know that. I don't remember which is yes, more stringent. I don't. I just don't remember.
Speaker 1: So in France do your handicap is all? You only take into account your scores and tournaments. I mean, and I think it's changed now now, yeah, you know how here you just turn in your score.
Speaker 4: Your scores.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but now I shoot, I'm a ten or eleven. I shoot, you know, mid eighty eighty four would be a great day for me.
Speaker 4: We should play for money. You're a five and I'm a seven, and then let's let's you're a five. Listen, I paste this on lifetime ability for you. So, yeah, you're a five, I'm a ten, and we'll play a lot of money. No that, I love that. So what was it about golf that you loved that you responded to that? You? Why did you? Why did you love it? Why did you play?
Speaker 2: Well, that's going to say I didn't really love I didn't really love it.
Speaker 4: I was kind of just good at it.
Speaker 2: No, I was because I was born into it. My dad was a scratch golfer.
Speaker 6: Okay, we played golf because he was Because of his level, we were allowed to play in this country club in France, and that's just what we did as a family.
Speaker 1: I like to ride horses, but I wasn't really allowed to do that. I had to play golf. But I'm so happy now because you know, still playing like the Ryder Cup. I played in the Bob Hope the last year it was the Bob Hope. Yes, my husband caddies for me and he tells me who everybody is, because I don't know who people are, and it's the best experience.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's awesome. What brought you to the US college college?
Speaker 1: Because we don't have sports college sports, and we don't have liberal arts.
Speaker 2: You have to know what you want to do.
Speaker 1: You have to pick your subject, and I didn't know what that was. So I ended up at the College of William and Mary, which in colonial Williamsburg, which was quite a big culture.
Speaker 2: Shock, to say the least.
Speaker 1: There was really a tough year, and I did my year abroad my sophomore year in Paris.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, wait a second. That should not be allowed. That's not the point to go home. Is not the point of your year abroad.
Speaker 2: But Brian, I finished. I went back junior and senior year, so I in fact did three years abroad in one year at home.
Speaker 4: You've you've done that explanation before I can tell did you think you were coming here to get your liberal arts education and to play golf? Did you think you were just coming here for that and that you were going to go back to France? What was your What was your plan?
Speaker 2: I don't think I had a plan.
Speaker 1: I didn't know, okay, and I never really do have a plan. I think that's not I just came because I took a year off after high school. And then I was like, that's not really working for.
Speaker 2: Me playing golf.
Speaker 1: And I tried to go to a school in France and there was no seats.
Speaker 2: You had to sit on the steps.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's not great, and so I was like, all right, let's try America and golf.
Speaker 4: Okay, you didn't love it. This is so funny.
Speaker 1: I loved this well, but you know, and in a way just not to be serious at all, but it's kind of how easily you can get sidetracked in your life and doing the things that you're just put into and you follow that, and you follow that, and then it was not until later that finally I.
Speaker 2: Was like I did the same with a job.
Speaker 1: I got a job in corporate America and eventually I was like, Okay, this is not my life.
Speaker 4: So, speaking of what you did not love to do, your focus was business and marketing in college, and you mentioned getting a job. What did you think this is what I should do, work for Chanel in New York out of college or was there some sort of passion there for you at all?
Speaker 1: Well, I've tried to get a job with a sports marketing company and I got an internship, but it didn't get me the job, and I was tempting, and then I got lucky and got a job. I did always love fashion, and it was a French company. I thought, oh, maybe I have something to bring to this or it felt like a good fit and it was fun. I had a great boss. I'm still friends with her. But there was just a little something. I was kind of like, Yeah, I remember looking at my boss and her boss and thinking, I don't want to be in those shoes.
Speaker 4: It's not really not what you wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a conundrum, like how do you know what you I mean, some people have a passion and they know.
Speaker 2: You had theater. It sounds like I didn't really know what I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was on that path early, like high school, I had an experience and was like, oh, no, this is this is what I'm going to do. Yes, but you forget I think, or I forget now how rare that is, right? I mean people go through an enormous different experiences before they sort of find the thing. I read that you landed through your job there at Chanel You had a modeling opportunity. Is that was this your first first? What was the model? What was the opportunity? What happened?
Speaker 1: The director of advertising said, we're doing a photo shoot for like an in house brochure. Do you want to be in it? And I was like okay. And the photographer said which modeling agency are you with? And I was like, no, no, I'm not a model. I'm smart. But then actually, and I was like, I'm way too old. I was twenty six by that time, and I'm too short. And he was like, no, no, I thought you were. And it just planted a seed and I thought, wait a second, could I be a model? Could I maybe make as much money as I'm making now and figure out what it is I want to do? And I was married at the time. We lived just we rented somebody's basement apartment in a house in Bronxville. We had not much money at all. But I remember asking my husband and his cousin, who's like older and is kind of our mentor.
Speaker 2: I was like, what do you think I should do? Is this crazy?
Speaker 1: And he said, why don't you go for it? I'll give you a temp job in our office. You're good at Excel. I'm good at Excel spreadsheets and so see it's not as glamorous now. So I left Chanelle and did part time modeling and part time Excel spreadsheeting.
Speaker 4: Wow were you able to find like a modeling agent pretty quickly?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that lucky.
Speaker 1: I was with Wilhelmina in their New Faces division, saying I was nineteen years old.
Speaker 4: Did you really Yeah? You said you were nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the agent was the booking agent said you don't look your agent. If you say you're twenty six, they won't book you for junior jobs, but you won't book the whatever mature things either.
Speaker 2: I can't remember sophisticated. It's clear call it. You won't book the sophisticated jobs either.
Speaker 4: So I said I was nineteen and no one ever said anything. By the way, I thought that was illegal, and I do mean, well, now now.
Speaker 2: You can't ask somebody how old.
Speaker 4: They can't ask somebody how old you are. No, but back to look on Wikipedia. Yeah, but I didn't look it. It may not be true, it might not be true exactly right, But then you did? You you announced how old you were.
Speaker 2: People asked all the time, how old are you? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Really interesting?
Speaker 2: Or I did?
Speaker 1: I traveled and went to agencies they knew, but they told clients that.
Speaker 4: You were nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh. And then you decide to enroll in an acting class.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So but three years later I just kept asking them. With the agency modeling agency, I'd left to take an acting class, and they were like, you get too much of.
Speaker 2: An accent, you're too old. And I did.
Speaker 6: Commercials twenty six that's crazy, go ahead, And then I did.
Speaker 2: I did commercials.
Speaker 1: Then I just kept having this feeling inside and I remember calling. I went on the phone book and called an acting teacher and she said to me, what do you what do you want? I don't know what I said, but she said, I have a teacher for you. I don't know if you know Sondra Lely.
Speaker 2: You heard that?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, yes.
Speaker 1: And she said she's really, really tough, but her class is amazing. They're working actors and there's also you know, people who's just starting out, and you should go check it out. And so I checked it out and I was blown away. And then I did my first monologue and I had what you just described. When it was over, I was like, oh my god, I need to do this. And it didn't mean I need to do this as a profession, but it was just I love this. I am feeling like me for the first time.
Speaker 2: And how was that?
Speaker 4: And you wanted to work, I mean like work on the craft, like taking classes and study.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, she was serious.
Speaker 1: I mean after that monologue, I did a scene I remember, a first scene work and she sent my partner back to his seat and she destroyed me because she was kind of like, who do you think you are? You can just waltz in here because you want to act. Let me tell you, this is a serious craft and you are not allowed to get up from your seat until I tell you, so you're just gonna watch.
Speaker 7: And I was like, okay, Wow, did you find it difficult having a French accent initially working in the business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and still to this day. And I worked with Sam Schwa. I don't know if you've heard his name before, but he was kind of a legend of a dialect coach in New York City, worked with The Near and Julia Roberts. He is amazing and not only I had a French accent, I had a little list of Okay, so yeah, and I still.
Speaker 2: Work on my dialect.
Speaker 1: It's I feel like it's an it's it's a lot of times I'm like, God, I wish I didn't have it, But then I'm like, well, if I didn't have it, maybe I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing either. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten cast either.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Like it differentiates.
Speaker 3: You maybe, I mean, yeah, yeah, interesting an early role for you, very early, you had the opportunity to work with this other up and coming actress, Meryl Street, I mean literally one of your first roles.
Speaker 4: So what was that experience like for it? Were you a fan of hers before?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: So do you remember a show called Unscripted Yes with Brian Greenberg allowed him as an actor.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, yes, and then you.
Speaker 1: See him he got his first job and it was a movie with Meryl Streep and Uma Thurman.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, I remember that now.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I'm in the living room watching the thing with my husband and I remember saying to him, God, could you imagine if my first studio film was with Meryl Streep?
Speaker 2: That would be amazing?
Speaker 1: And then, like, I don't know, a couple months later, I get this audition to play opposite her, and the director is David Frankel, and that's my maiden name, Frankel, and I was like, maybe this is a sign.
Speaker 9: It was, but I was really obviously so excited, and I put pictures of Meryl Streep all over my bathroom for three weeks leading up to it, so that I would see her every day and I wouldn't be so starstruck when I did finally, Is that true?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: You put up pictures to like make yourself familiar with looking at her.
Speaker 1: Yes, because I had to be this character who was, you know, her nemesis, so I didn't want to feel like beginner me playing opposite one of the most incredible actress in the world. She was unbelievable. It was amazing to watch her work. My role was really small, but I got I think three days and there was one day where there was.
Speaker 2: A lot of background.
Speaker 1: There's huge set, and you know, turnaround took a long time, and she was just standing there with her makeup artist who's been with her forever and just trying to stay in sort of concentrated, and I remember there was a lot of people, a lot of noise around her, and eventually she opened her eyes and she was like, Okay, we need to find.
Speaker 2: Get a room. But it was cool to watch her.
Speaker 1: Being so patient and yet also reached that point where I need to take care of myself. She was amazing generous with you, oh beyond. We did a flashback scene where there was no dialogue and it was supposed to be a French cafe in the morning, and I wrote her card explaining the story of the unscripted thing before because I just said, I just need you to know this and I will remember this forever.
Speaker 2: And she was very sweet.
Speaker 1: But before we started shooting, she said, does this look good to you, Sephanie? Does this feel like parents? And I was like, well, it's morning. There wouldn't be tablecloths on the bistro tables, and she goes, you're right, let's go talk to David.
Speaker 4: I love that there you go, wow, I love see, I love I love I love stories like that, and I love generous actors who have accomplished a lot for me. It's one of the best lessons that I ever ever. I just told this story actually for the podcast, but I'll tell you very briefly that the experience that I had working with Robin Williams was very much the same way we worked together a few times, and his energy and his positivity and his openness to basically get a note or have a comment from anybody and to make everybody feel good ultimately only helps the process. You know. Unfortunately, I understand you've worked with some people who weren't so nice. Steve Carell.
Speaker 2: When you were saying Robin Williams generous, I was going to bring up Steve Carell because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you know, I'm sure, but I did. This was my first lead female role in a big studio movie. I was very nerve again, and I did a scene with Steve and he so it's we always shoot his close up first, and the lines he was giving me was kind of like, I know about the sex, and my character is like the sex. Yes, I know about the sex, so we shoot his coverage and then we get on my coverage and you know, he's like, I know about the sex, and so I'm reacting probably the same way kind of, and all of a sudden he goes, yeah, I know about the sex the dirt, and he started getting filthy. I mean, I can't even repeat what he was saying. And I remember looking at him and thinking of my gosh, he's doing this just to get me to react the way.
Speaker 2: I mean, so generous, and he's very discreet too.
Speaker 1: He's it's all about the work and for all of us to come together and do something beautiful and have fun and play and surprise ourselves.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was amazing to watch him. It is and there's no ego. He has no ego.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, he absolutely is the best. I have to ask. So when you say discreet, I'm wondering if that's a if that's a French expression. So do you mean he's very reserved? Is that what you is that what you mean?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, that's what I meant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yes, people are surprised like he's not. He's not performing all the time like you see him on set. He is very reserved, discreet and gentle, very gentle as a as a person.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, kind.
Speaker 4: He's the opposite of me in every way. He's the opposite of me.
Speaker 2: But you both have a big heart that comes you can it comes through.
Speaker 4: Oh well, that's wow, that's very nice. But I I don't know about that. He certainly does, and I I'm glad that you had a positive experience working with him. How do you think that these experiences early on working on quite big movies sort of helped to shape you and your career as you had positive experiences in classes, you worked hard to become an actor and you have the experience of working with these people. I just talk a little bit about that how that changes you or how it makes you grow as an actor to then move on and begin, you know, leading up projects of your own.
Speaker 1: I mean those experiences that you're grateful for, not only because of who the caliber of the actor, but really about their generosity and kindness when they don't really need to do that. I think those experiences stay with you and for me, I know that that's how I want to be with people when I work with them. Yeah, it's really such a privilege to be working on a set to tell stories that are beautifully written, stories that have meaning, and to me, there's nothing more of a turn on than when you really connect with that person on set. And it's weird because you're doing it playing somebody else, but yet you just I think we are more open for me, more open than in real life. I know, to share that moment with others, to be available with others, it's the biggest gift. So it's not just to be generous with others, it's actually you're making You're living something kind of selfishly good for you too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've told this a couple of times. One of my guests on the podcast talked about the unique experience of working on a set in that way and said that it's the only time in life really where you have a huge number of people all working for the same end purpose at once. It is like sports in a way where from the time you call action to cut, everyone is doing their job to try to accomplish this one thing. Everybody's on the same page and is working together to try to make the best thing that you can.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 8: That is exactly yes, and it's bigger than all of us everybody, and it has meaning and you trust because of that, you're actually you feel this trust, even the crew.
Speaker 1: When you're in the middle of a scene, you feel that you know behind the camera and you're like, you've got my back and you know it.
Speaker 2: It's really beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yes, once the director calls cut, then the backbiting starts and all that. But somebody, so it's just those.
Speaker 2: Fews between action.
Speaker 4: It's just those few moments. Other than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an actor, an actor I were, oh, I can say his name, James Rode Rodriguez, who I really I'm a big fan of.
Speaker 2: On my last show before action, he would look at me.
Speaker 1: And he would go, make it interesting, Come on, do something.
Speaker 2: Is that all you got? Make it interesting?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 4: You know what? I do this? Maybe we're very similar because I do the same I do this. I started. I can't even believe I'm saying this out loud. I've never I've never actually acknowledged this bit that I do. But I look at someone and say, just right before, just be like, don't fuck it up, please, just don't don't fuck it up. All right, everybody's here waiting on you.
Speaker 2: Just don't anyway to get it together.
Speaker 4: Get it together please. In more recent years, you've been doing more work in television. You prefer one or the other. Is that just where rolls up come in television? Do you prefer one over the other?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think I prefer but I do love movies. I still love to watch as an audience. Yeah, and I kind of love having one script and knowing there's a beginning of middle and an end. And I have a family. This is for this amount of time.
Speaker 4: This amount of time you dive in. Yeah, yeah, I meant to ask you this before, actually, and I'm going to ask it now because I'm just personally interested. So you don't speak English, you're a fan of movies. Are you watching? Are you watching exclusively French movies? Or are you watching American movies that are subtitled or dull? Like I just I don't know. I'm just curious about that. How did you did you watch American movies? I guess it's one yes.
Speaker 1: But the French television is horrible. Everything is dubbed right, which drove my dad crazy because we watched a lot of American movies and he was like, Gene Hackman, this is.
Speaker 4: Not Gene Hacker right right right right?
Speaker 1: Or John Wayne Like, we watched a lot of and it's so weird because just in Luxembourg, Belgium, they or Holland they have.
Speaker 2: Subtitles. They keep things in original yeah.
Speaker 4: Even in the movie theater, Like could you watch American movies in a movie theater or is it all dubbed in.
Speaker 1: The movie theaters? They had two screenings. One was in vistial original original version and one was dubbed.
Speaker 4: Interesting, Yeah, I asked, because I wondered, you know, even though you didn't have any thought of being an actor at that time or whatever, but if there was, if there would be some sort of unique experience. I don't know, and maybe I'm reading into this, but I feel like now and there's been some obviously beautiful, beautiful what we would call in America foreign films that you're reading the subtitles, but I feel like you're also getting I feel like I get something different from the performances and watching the actors when I'm not fully clear on well, when I don't understand the language at all, you have you wait a second.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to make sure you feel like you get more when it's in the original version with subtitles.
Speaker 4: Well, certainly that, but I mean even a language that I don't speak yeah, and I'm going to mention this because I can't. I just saw Drops of God, which is Japanese and French and English, and there's something, there's something different performance wise in all the characters in their native tongues together that bring this beautiful sort of tapestry. And it's hard to I can't. I can't quite articulate it clearly right now, but there was something very powerful for me seeing these actors who are speaking Japanese and acting obviously in Japanese, they're actors and they're speaking Japanese and me not knowing having to read the words, but also just watching them perform, there is a different it's just different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I want to watch that movie.
Speaker 1: But I just watched a German show and for some reason it came on dubbed and we were like, wait, wait a second, and then so we went back and put it in German and it was night and day. Yes, but also it's a thing. It's like this even and more when I don't speak German. So it's almost like that becomes when you don't speak the language. It's not a character, but it's an added color. It's yes, it adds it's weird. It's hard to articulate, but I know, I think I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's it's almost like there's a you begin to see And now we're referring back sort of to Jacques lacoc But there is a different mask that exists not just in character types or archetypes, but also in language, in culture, Like there is a different mask that people wear when they communicate, and how they communicate is very different in different cultures. It's more culture than language. But when you're seeing actors speak in their native tongue, it's just interesting to me.
Speaker 1: It opens up maybe something different in us. It's kind of like if we hear an instrument that we've never heard before. Yes, that's going to hit us in a different way.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, absolutely, And as you said, also, I mean even if you don't understand the colloquialisms or whatever, like you're experiencing some of those things or humor or lack thereof just by watching people, even if you're not fully don't understand the cultural reference or whatever. Will say come on vush espanel. Yeah, so you mentioned you like working in movies, but you did just act for a long time on a television I think I prefer television because I love the building of community that if you're lucky enough, that can happen over several years. What was it like for you to just have the opportunity to work on something for such an extended period of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so true. That was amazing.
Speaker 1: It was an ensemble show too, which was my first time ever doing that, and I have, I think, I hope knock on Wood lifelong friendships. And also I worked with kids. Seeing these kids grow up and transform as actors, I got better as an actor because of the people I was working with. It's true in a movie, you sort of do it and then it's over, and it's almost understood that you get so close so quickly. You share a lot, and there's always this space and you know that, Oh I shared this moment. If I called this person, we'd probably be really happy to see one another. But we haven't spoken to one another in ten years.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, oh exactly.
Speaker 2: Whereas for this, and I was not on this show was on for five years. I was not on it. I was limited during COVID.
Speaker 1: But I saw one person just today she was like, I'm driving by, should I come I'm like.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh, that's awesome. In addition to being busy in television, you got a book, book Alert your book selfish just out, I mean, hot off of the presses. Tell me about the book and where where does this come from.
Speaker 1: It's not as glamorous as a book. It's a self help work book. I'm going to try to not sell this.
Speaker 4: Well. I think it's I think it's a fascinating mental health fitness is what I understand, that's right, which I think is a kind of a genius way of approaching this. Yeah, tell me why.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm extremely proud of this book, and the way it came about is because you heard me say before a lot I was nervous, I was this and it's as my career got, you know, gain momentum, my mental game coming from the sports world and golf really went downhill, and self doubt just took over and it impacted not only my performance, but also the way I related to people and how I felt, and so it led me on this path of growing and learning skills and practices. But the challenges was for me, how do I remember these how do I remember these practices? And how do I put them into action my daily life. So I created a little album on my phone.
Speaker 6: I call it a playbook playbook, just like athletes have playbooks, and in it, you know, I'll put everything that's going to help me for this day, whether it's on set.
Speaker 1: I have a playbook for golf with my you know, my swing thoughts, some of my great golf achievements to remind me I can kick ass on the golf course. So for the past five years this was mostly for professional but for the past five years, before I would go set, I would look at my playbook and it would refresh all these things. And then when I'd go on set, if doubts started creeping in or all of a sudden, I'm worried about what James ro De Rodriguez is saying to me, my little reminder from my playbook pops into my consciousness and it's like, yeah, I don't care what other people think.
Speaker 2: I'm making it hokey.
Speaker 1: But it really made all the good thoughts helpful thoughts.
Speaker 2: It kept them top of mind and.
Speaker 1: Helped me react respond differently during the day and during COVID when we were all on lockdown. Give an Hour, which is a mental health nonprofit called me. They had a new CEO and a new team and they wanted to get to know me and asked what I did for my well being. I said all the things I do, and I said one thing that's unique is this playbook concept that I have. And they were like, what's in your playbook? And I was like, well, it's personal. You know, everybody would have different things in their playbook, but they love this cond and we did a series of webinars to bring it to their community, to encourage people during COVID to create their own playbook. The question kept coming up, what goes in your playbook? And somebody suggested we create a workbook that would help people create their own playbooks.
Speaker 2: This is a little tongue.
Speaker 1: Twister, and that's where this workbook came from. And I created it with the mental health nonprofit. We've had the help of mental health professionals. It got amazing accolades from behavioral scientists and psychologists, and I'm really proud of it. It's a work of collaboration. There are stories in there from veterans and athletes and people in recovery, and then there's exercises for you to discover the things that help you do life a little better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you talk about give an hour. I know fifty percent of the proceeds are going to give an hour. That relationship. The work that they do, obviously is very important to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, Their mission is to build more resilient communities through whether they're physical communities, so people who've been impacted by violence, but also communities like the military. They offer one on one counseling at no cost and peer support, training and training and education.
Speaker 2: They're amazing And.
Speaker 1: The people in the book, one person, Alan Levi Simmons, is a veteran and he got help from Given Hour.
Speaker 2: His story is amazing.
Speaker 4: You talk about experiencing something that I think, if people are honest, a lot of people either feel or experience or suffer from impostor syndrome both.
Speaker 2: A bit of a buzzword right now, right.
Speaker 4: In acting and in life. Well, but I think it's true. I mean, I don't even know officially what the definition of that is, but I know that everybody is performing at all time. It's sort of what I was talking about before in terms of everybody from action to cut is all working together. The rest of the time, I feel like there are thoughts that are going on in your head about not being not belonging, or not being a part, or faking it or all of those things you said you suffered from.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 4: Is the book something that you feel like would have helped you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So all the exercises in there are exercises that have helped me. Yeah, and they're all put together. That's so cool to hear you say that.
Speaker 2: Well, our minds can be tricky fuckers.
Speaker 4: Yes. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I just got a card today from one psychologist who helped on the book, and I sent him the book to say thank you, and I got a thank you card and in the back it said, PS, I too suffer from imposter syndrome.
Speaker 2: I would like to talk about this.
Speaker 1: And I think the definition of it is that you feel like, once you're in this situation and you feel like you actually don't belong here, You're not you have not earned the right to be there for your work, You're not qualified, and you're going to be found out.
Speaker 2: They're going to realize that they made a mistake asking you to be there, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely. Is there one tip or one exercise from the book, from your playbook that you that you can.
Speaker 2: Share with me related to impostor syndrome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well it's the first exercise, which is called what are your greatest achievements?
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 1: We give you one question and you're on your own. Now we really spoon feed like the questions little by little, and so your greatest achievements can be things you're proud of in your life, but they can also be actually things you look back and you're like, that was a huge challenge for me. I didn't think I was going to make it through, and somehow I did. For example, for me freshman year in college, like I was saying before this exercise, I wouldn't have looked at it as the greatest achievement. It would be that was kind of a failure. I went home, I cried every day. But doing that exercise, I realized, wait a second, Actually I did stay till the full year. I learned a lot. I persisted, I worked hard, and then I came back. I also listened to myself. So you make a list of all your greatest achievements, and then it asks you look at each one of them and ask yourself what actually helped me get to there through it or the win or whatever. So you can identify some of your strengths. You can identify the people who helped you along the way. You can see that you were generous. Actually, one of your greatest achievements is helping others. So it's like you're building your own little highlight reel. You know this is your chance, and you're not showing this to anyone. It's not about bragging. I think a lot of times, especially when we're going through tough times, we are not. We forget what we're capable of. Let's say you have your greatest or I'll.
Speaker 2: Talk about me. I have my greatest achievements.
Speaker 1: Then I'm in a moment which I experience all the time, imposter syndrome. You know, oh my god, I'm going to talk with Brian about my book, and Brian's in theater and I don't know theater, and what am I going to talk about. I can look at my greatest achievements and I'm like, hey, it's okay. I've done a lot of work. This is what helps me. I don't need to have it figured out. I don't need to pretend that I have it all figured out. I'm just going to be myself. I actually know how to do that. Yeah, so, and then they each exercise lengths into one another because there's one about self talk. So it's about creating you know. This isn't the SNL.
Speaker 10: Where you look at yourself in the mirror and you're like, I am great, right right, It's about creating your own self talk that's based in your own life, that you actually believe in.
Speaker 1: And you know, yeah, I actually worked really hard on my acting career. I took classes for that many years. And maybe I still feel like I don't have it all figure out.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 1: I'm freaking humble, right, I have a lot to learn, right.
Speaker 4: No, I love that getting to know and being comfortable with what you've done and who you are yourself. I love that. I'll be honest with you. I would probably brag once I figured it out, I would probably brag. I wouldn't keep it to myself. But you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think if you read the book you might not you might not gosh, because the second we do talk about things, really share things. We're in back to Jacques Lucoq. We put on a.
Speaker 2: Mask and this is really about this is just for you. We live.
Speaker 1: Every thing is so public, you know, we have big opinions and we share everything.
Speaker 2: This is just a space for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know what's interesting. And again I'm really not just trying to tie it all together. I think, if nothing else, what everything you said just means to me in this moment is it's really about taking off the mask, at least with yourself, because I think that that's the problem is oftentimes, I mean, we all have a mask when we interact with everybody. I mean, your mask is different depending on who you're interact you know, whether it's your buddies or your girlfriends, or your spouse's or your mom and dad or whatever. But then this feels to me like taking the mask off at least by when we're by ourselves and being true and real, which is so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by which can be scary.
Speaker 4: Too the hell yeah, are you kidding me? Looking at my actual self? Jesus.
Speaker 1: But then when you do, you get to this place compassion and understanding with yourself, and and then you realize, wait a second, what's really important to me is this, Unless you go deep down, we can get sidetracked and worried about the mask and what other people are going to think and all that, and when we are comfortable with ourselves, then we can connect better with others around us.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, you know, in a way, Sorry, I didn't mean to get so excited, but enacting when we prepare, what we hope for when we from action to cut is to be truthful, to listen, to.
Speaker 1: Connect really at present. Yes, So in a way, all these exercise is I looked at them and I was like, these would be great exercise to do character development, except it's your own.
Speaker 4: Character, right, But it's yeah, but the opposite, right that trying to find the absence of creating that character that is you in your in your mind, you know what I mean, like attempting to strip it down and be truth.
Speaker 2: Truthful, bringing yourself to the part.
Speaker 4: Yeah even if you yeah, even as you say, when I made the stupid joke, but that you don't share it with anybody, that at least in that moment, that is truth.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's so liberating.
Speaker 4: I love that. I love that. Well done. I'm getting the book this afternoon, by the way, because it is available now. Selfish step into a journey of self discovery to revive confidence, joy, and meaning. Stephanie, congratulations on the book, on your career, on and finally finding what you were meant to be and what brings you joy. You were so delightful to talk to and such a radiant, joyful spirit. So thank you for being at least as open as possible good with me.
Speaker 2: You're the best interviewer. Thank you so much. And let's play golf.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure, we're playing golf.
Speaker 2: I know you interviewed one of the persons who I played in the Ryder Cup, AJ Hawk.
Speaker 4: So you played with agent.
Speaker 2: I didn't play with him, but we were there the same.
Speaker 4: You were against each other.
Speaker 2: No, I played against Kelly's.
Speaker 4: Aj is an idiot. He hits the ball a long way. Here's the problem. He didn't know where it's going. He didn't he has no idea where. Oh, he has no idea. He hits it far. Hit ce ball, hit ball far, long way off the planet. He almost killed me a couple of times hitting into me. I wasn't even play in his group. That's how just hits it. All right, we're gonna do it. We're gonna bet big money, and you're gonna give me lots of strokes because you're a five.
Speaker 2: I'll bet you some French franks.
Speaker 4: French Franks. I don't think you can, can you. I don't. You can't spend those. You can't get that over on me. You can't spend those anymore. I know that, Stephanie.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you so much, Thanks Brian, Stephanie Mercy boku.
Speaker 4: As they say in France, that means thank you very much. I love getting to know you today, learning about your incredibly fascinating journey. And yes, next time you're in so Caw or I'm on the East Coast, we're gonna get together. We're gonna hit the golf course. Just bring your money. Listeners, you should definitely go pick up her book Selfish right now. It is literally for your own good, and then come back next time for another episode of Off the Beat. Until then, everybody, have an excellent week. Off the Beat is hosted and executive produced by me Brian Baumgartner, alongside our executive producer Ling Lee. Our senior producer is Diego Tapia. Our producers are Liz Hayes, Hannah Harris, and Emily Carr. Our talent producer is Ryan Papa Zachary, and our intern is Ali Amir Saheen. Our theme song Bubble and Squeak, performed by the one and only creed brag