Speaker 1: Sometimes I like having my mind blown. It's one more thing. I'm one more thing.
Speaker 2: Reminds me trying to come up with these new lab innovative psychedelic drugs that like have all of the upsides and none of the downsides of like taking LSD or shrums or whatever. Yeah, we have to talk about that on the show. We should because there is some pretty promising research about you know, PTSD and other things. But back to you.
Speaker 1: So brought up the hot Girl Walk, which I don't remember if we talked about that while you were on vacation or not. It's like one of the hot QT terms of the summer.
Speaker 2: The hot Now. I've seen you do the angry model walk, but this is different.
Speaker 1: Our girl walks actually much different than you would expect it to be. It's got more to do with attitudes. So you go out and you walk for four miles at night, real fast, which gives you exercise and gets you in better shape. And it's all about what you think about. You're supposed to spend a lot of time thinking positive thoughts and about how hot you are. That's why it's called the hot girl Walk. To build self confidence and that self image and all this different sort of stuff going to become a thing that way, which is much more palatable than a lot of your stupid cute sea phrases that catch on about various things going out and taking a walk every night and thinking positive thoughts. There's nothing ridiculous about that at all. The name is a little Gibie Hot Girl Walk and sid of my daughter who I adore, and she was telling me about we had girl dinner the other night. She said, do you know that term girl dinner? I said, number one?
Speaker 2: Why does everything need a name? What is it? And? As I recall, it's just whatever you got, It's all carbs or whatever. You get together. You each bring something and you eat crap and spend time together dinner table. If asked, why is that need a name?
Speaker 1: That's but anyway, the reason Hot Girl Walk was the news today is there's a new There was a review in the New York posted this new weighted vest, which I guess has gotten really really hot, these weighted vests. So you add that to your hot Girl walk for your exercise? Have you ever done that before? Because I walk every single day, rarely miss a day, how much would adding a weighted vest do for me? And then how much weight do you add on to it?
Speaker 2: Well, you can get it good.
Speaker 1: You can get it in six, eight, twelve, twenty, twenty five and thirty pounds. That's a pretty big difference between six pounds and thirty pounds.
Speaker 2: I have a very good friend who for a long time walked and walked and walk walked for many miles, and he used a weighted vest. I'll have to ask him if you thought it didn't many good. I'm sure it does, but I don't know. I'll look into it. I'll try it some very expensive it's like twenty eight bucks.
Speaker 1: So back, I wish the hot.
Speaker 2: Girl walk was called worthy human being walk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see what you mean.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, that's a woman is not a collection of body parts? All right, Well she is, but that's exactly that was my point.
Speaker 1: So I got my mind boggled last night starting with I'm re listening to book by Charles Murray. We're big Charles Murray fans around here. One of the most famous social scientists in modern history wrote the Bell Curve, among other things. But he put a book out last year that I already listened to a once, called Taking Religion Seriously. He was a guy who was an atheist in his entire life. He credits that not to any conviction. He just went to Harvard as a really smart guy, and everybody was atheists, and he decided at a young age, oh, that's what smart people do. They believe in atheism. And then he and his sixties or seventies, his wife became quite a devout Christian, so not just a feist like in believing in God, but actual believing in Jesus Christ, et cetera. And he wanted what his wife had, and he just spent more time looking into it and reading about it, and he has come around to where he is now a church going Christian, believes a lot. And his book is called Taking Religion Seriously, and it's really interesting. It's only like four hours long to listen to it, So if you have any interest in that sort of thing, I highly recommend it. Lots of great reading lists in there for things you might be interested in. But one of the things he was getting into the design of the universe and it's complexity, yet it's beauty and how to him that proves some sort of idea behind it. There's all kinds of things that needed to happen for life to form. And if you were just like a degree or you know, two miles an hour or all these different things for just slightly different there'd be no chance for life whatsoever as we know it. And so that's part of his arguing for why there is some sort of grand design. That's not what I meant to get off on. It was at one point when he got into the whole Big Bang theory, which I think we all know now, but it's relatively new. It hasn't become it's only been like the consensus since the nineties. It was first thought of in the early twentieth century, kind of caught on in the sixties and seventies, but it's only been since the nineties that that has been the considered opinion of most people that just, okay, we all agree upon this the Big Bang, that all of time, energy and matter was in a beyond microscopically small something. But the thing that boggled my mind was, and he was talking about how when we picked the Big Bang, most of us we picture, you know, a molecule or a dot or whatever exploding in space, but that's not what happened. There was no space. It created this, the Big Bank created space. There was nothing before. This is where you lose me. This is where your brain started. That's when my mind gets boggled. And like I was listening to that as I did my hot girl walk last night, uh, walking and listening to this book and when he did that about how the misconception that the Big Bang occurred in space. No, the Big Bang created space. There was nothing before the Big Bang. For some reason, I like, I think I actually stopped in the street for a second. I was like, wait a second, I had like a dog. You caught your head r wild. How your brain can can that can happen to you? Yes, to where you just get like, I can't compute this. I need my full capacity for this question. Yeah, and you just stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's yeah, I've tried to conceive of this stuff. I don't have the ability. Just when I get into the theoretical and the mind blowing astro physics quantum quark string theory stuff, I.
Speaker 1: Just I can't, right, So I uh, I started asking Grox some questions because I got into a couple of things around this topic because I just found it really interesting. So as they know when it happened, it was thirteen point eight billion years ago, that for some reason, God or whatever. I mean, it's hard to come up with a reason for this. Uh, that everything that exists was in some microscopically small something and burst into nothingness in creat.
Speaker 2: You don't mean reason like there's a reason for everything. No, you mean a process by which or a catalyst that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, nobody has any idea. By the way, so I have a theory, But go on, what's your theory?
Speaker 2: I call it the big Boyang theory. Actually, the universe is like a lot of things in the universe. It it actually expands, then contracts all into one and big bang again. And then it expands and then for some reason it contracts. I'm still studying why it would expand and contract. Please don't ask me what was the beginning, how it started? Please don't ask me that.
Speaker 1: At no point are you going to say it's turtles all the way down, as the old saying goes.
Speaker 2: That was working my way there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I found this interesting. Somebody brought this up the other day, and I remember how I came across this. First of all, it's just mind blowing to me. There are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on I've always liked that as something to imagine. Look at any beach, think about how many grains of sands are all the beaches, all the places in the world. In fact, there are actually hundreds of thousands of times more stars than there are all the grains of sand on Earth. No comprende, and almost all stars have at least one planet. Most have more than one planet. So there are many, many, many multiples more planets in the universe. Then there are stars. Wow, And then you get to the are we the only one with life? I mean, that's just incomprehensible, but so so. I randomly came across this the other day. Apparently some physicists ask this question, presented it in one of your famous lectures forever ago. Why it aren't we just surrounded by incredible brightness that we can't stand. We got the sun shining on us, and with space being empty, the sun is incredibly bright. Why aren't all the stars that exist, with all that many stars, all of the light traveling through space at the speed of light, and just instead of the night sky being dark, it's just so blinding and bright. We can't even stand it. It was a question that people had for a long time until the discovery that the universe is expanding. Another concept that is really hard to understand. But the universe is expanding. The planets are moving away from each other faster than the speed of light. That's why we're getting farther away from them faster than light travels. If that weren't true, the night sky would be so bright you couldn't look at it, or it'd be so lot we'd all die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got questions, but just go ahead.
Speaker 1: I will attempt to answer them if I have any idea what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: I have enjoyed on several occasions in my life, although not nearly enough, being on a beach way out in the middle of nowhere, or a mountaintop or whatever, where you can see thousands of stars and it's just dark enough breath taking, and I literally can see the light from those stars. But that's not enough light to be the blindingly bright thing you're describing now.
Speaker 1: It's not all the light that we would get. If the universe were a single size and not expanding, then all that light would reach us from all of those stars, and it's full of intensity as opposed to the way it's expanding away. So that's another luck of the universe, because if it were so blindingly bright that we couldn't see all the time, that wouldn't be I mean, how did you get to work?
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know enough about light because the distance of light matters here on Earth, but I would assume that would be because it's going through dust and atmosphere and the rest of it.
Speaker 1: Right. I didn't fully understand that myself, but I'm going to take it on the advice of the experts who say it was true. It's true that if the universes would not expanding faster than the speed of light, Yeah, then we would be all blinded.
Speaker 2: Our eyes would probably evolve in some way or another, I would think.
Speaker 1: But how about the fact that the universe is expanding that fast, or we're getting further away from stuff that fast? It's like stretching.
Speaker 2: I'm totally comfortable with the idea that the universe is expanding until somebody says expanding into one.
Speaker 1: Well, right, that's I was asking a chat gb the extra the suburbs. Well, like, where's the edge? So where at the edge of the universe what's on the other side that wall. But Grock told me I was looking at completely wrong, and I tried to understand what it meant at that point, and I just got lost. Is there any advantage whatsoever to thinking about this stuff every once in a while, like four times a year, quarterly, quarterly. I like to like look at this stuff for one evening kind of and I get really interested in that. It goes away with the kind of what difference does it make anyway? My foot hurts and my kids needs dinner.
Speaker 2: I am a biological being with a life expectancy of eighty seven point four years. Yeah, exactly. M Yeah, I don't know. I'm fascinated by it too, But like I say, I never get very far. I just I'm it's like somebody who can't carry a tune. I've come to accept that my mind gets blown too quickly.
Speaker 1: Funny, you had mentioned that I will circle back and in with this. Charles Murray, one of his beliefs is that the ability to perceive a god like creature, that feeling that a lot of people get connection to God or something like that. He believes it's like a sense or a talent kind of like because he says he has no ability for music whatsoever. None. He can't carry a tune. He just has nothing for music. Where's most people do, and some people have it at the level of you know, geniuses or whatever. And he just thinks his wife is more tuned in to God, like some people are more tuned into music than he is, and he's just not as tuned in as some people are. But that's why some people get great connection and some people get nune and some people in between.
Speaker 2: That's his theory.
Speaker 1: And of course it's just a theory.
Speaker 2: You've blown my mind again. Cut it out.
Speaker 1: That book's worth a listen, though, if you have any interest in that sort of thing I do, if you have any interest in overcoming atheism, which, as he said, a fair number of people, some people really really really think about it a lot and come to that concludion. But some people it's just, oh, this is where all the cool people are doing, so I'm going to do it too, mm hmm without much more thought than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. A lot of the time I get to the end of these discussions on questions of religion and you know, fairly specific questions the Jews, and it's not the Jews and uh, you know, the universe and all. And I'm fairly comfortable with the notion that I'll never know for sure and I can live with that.
Speaker 1: That makes you, uh agnostic, I guess, ah.
Speaker 2: Does it?
Speaker 1: I think so? Yah?
Speaker 2: I think an agnostic thinks it is unknowable that form you're sinking. Yeah, I'm not saying it's unknowable. I'm just saying I don't know. Okay. Yeah, the agnostic is used in several different ways, and I don't know the formal.
Speaker 1: Definitily, you need to come up with a name for that position.
Speaker 2: You need.
Speaker 1: Agnostic or something like that is I'm a sure wish I knewest I think in our uh maybe I'll end with this as I keep trying to end. Maybe. I think that in our materialist, uh pleasure seeking culture of modern world, I think agnostic gives too much credit to most people's positions. It's just it's a I don't think about it at all. Yeah, I want to buy a cooler this or that or what. Scroll on TikTok.
Speaker 2: I will finish the discussion with this. There are no atheists in foxholes, and no atheists being flipped through the air by bison either to cite a contemporary news story. As we record this podcast, I will finish with this. If you're at Costco and there's an asterisk on the tag, it means it's the last item they have. They're not restocking it.
Speaker 1: Wow, Michael there, now that's practical.
Speaker 2: Never mind this naval gazing stoned idiot rambling, Michael is grounded.
Speaker 1: Universe is stretching. Who cares? I need to know the codes at Costco?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess that's it.