Speaker 1: When you make classic podcasts all the time.
Speaker 2: You know that what you put in your ears is of the utmost importance.
Speaker 1: That's why I love Sonos.
Speaker 2: In the new Sonos Move, Move is the premium portable smart speaker for listening all around your home and outdoors. You can stream No Dunks and other much worse podcasts, music, radio, audio, books, and more with Wi Fi or Bluetooth, and experience clearly detailed sound and rich bass for up to eleven hours With moves long lasting battery and durable weather resistant design. Just pick Move up off its indoor charging base and bring the sound with.
Speaker 1: You from room to room. You can listen to No Dunks while you shower and make breakfast.
Speaker 2: You can put on No Dunks to focus in your home office, enjoy some No Dunks on your patio or in the backyard. With automatic true play tuning, you can be sure Move sounds great no matter where you are or which classic episode of No Dunks you're listening to switch Move Move to Bluetooth mode to stream anywhere Wi Fi doesn't reach, or to enjoy richer sound for video calls from your phone or computer. Plus, Sonos works with all your streaming services and control is simple with the Sonos app, Apple Airplay too, or your voice using Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
Speaker 1: While on Wi Fi. You can also.
Speaker 2: Stream thousands of stations, including live radio from around the world and original programming free from Sonos Radio through the app, and of course, you can connect move to other Sons speakers around your home over why fy to create your perfect sound system and enjoy listening to No Dunks in more rooms. Soos is simple to set up, and it sounds incredible. Y'all know I love catching deep bass, but Sonos's deep bass caught my attention and my wife's. After I set up our Sonos, she walked upstairs and said, something sounds different. I looked her straight in the eyes and told her that's Son's baby. Now she agrees that Sonos is the best way to listen to every No Dunk's classic passes, baritone sounds its fullest, Lee's accent even more charming. My cackle comes through clear as a bell. So head to sonos dot com to learn more and get your son's move today.
Speaker 3: With the young buys can't handle a little bit of heckling at the ring, they should stick to Tiddleywinks and PlayStation.
Speaker 4: Good morning, swimmerl then, welcome to the Now Dumps podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Monday, August thirty. First m J.
Speaker 1: Skeets and joining us here as always, Tes.
Speaker 5: Mellis, Hey everybody.
Speaker 4: Hey Testy, we got the Bearded one, Trey Kirby, Hey, hey, we got the international band of Mystery taking it to the Max Leellis friend, last, but not least.
Speaker 1: Making the magic happen.
Speaker 4: JD. Hello, there he is, and here we are. Thanks for joining us. We're going to recap all of yesterday's games. But first it's with a heavy heart that I report we've lost another basketball icon. Legendary Georgetown coach John Thompson Junior, known simply as Big John throughout college hoops, has died at age seventy eight. He led George down to the nineteen eighty four national championship. He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in ninety nine and famously coached future Hall of famers Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Morning and to Kene Matumbo and Alan Iverson, and I see a rockin the Georgetown Hoya jersey here this morning, Tray.
Speaker 2: That's right, John Thompson and Alan Iverson made a lot of fans in the nineties. I got this when I was in eighth grade and somehow it still fits me.
Speaker 1: That's just how we wore things back in the day.
Speaker 2: But uh yeah, that's sad to see another loss in the basketball family. The guy was a legend in the college game, a legend off the court, and honestly, it's not often you see a lot of coaches who are looking their big men eye to eye, so stand out in that way as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Big John, for sure, our condolences to the entire Thompson family. Twenty twenty continues to be a little rough, but we have some fun games to break down, except for that Raptors one. Maybe we'll just skip over that one today. I'm not sure we'll get to that later. Let's start though, with Jamal Murray out dueling Donovan Mitchell, setting up the first game seven from the bubble.
Speaker 1: Take away Saza, we.
Speaker 2: Got to Gaby good seven kid seven.
Speaker 4: Yes, nothing easy, Well maybe it is easy for Jamal Murray task. This is crazy what this kid is doing right now, and Mitchell for that matter. So here we go. We said it right from the beginning, this series is going seven. You can lock that in. We got there a weird way. But what you think of this game and Murray's performance and so.
Speaker 5: On, task Well, I didn't think it was going seven. I didn't think the Jazz could score enough. I thought the Nuggets were winning this thing in five games. And it's weird that it's sort of come all the way around that the Utah Jazz had their offense going and now Jamal Murray fifty forty two and fifty in his last three games. That's unheard of in playoff basketball. And you said it might be a little too easy for Jamal Murray. I think that's a bit of the problem here, is that it is a little bit too easy, and that I think one of the shortcomings of Jazz head coach Quinn Snyder is that he plays a lot of one on one ball. And you saw last year Superstars in the playoffs, James Harden up against him, and he was playing behind James Harden. He wasn't really doubling him to get it out of his hands. He was trying a bunch of that kind of thing. But Jamal Murray, I think you got a double pretty much from the get go. This wasn't a thirty nine points in the second half after a slow first half. This was a pretty equal first half to second half performance. So I think it would be smarter to let Tory Craig, Paul millsap and who's the third start, and Jeremy Grant, Let's see if he can do that again. Let those three guys while you cover Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic and get the ball out of Jamal Murray's hens. Isn't that an option? And in in a way, your your offense is going to score enough. I think if you're the Utah Jess because Denver doesn't usually play great defense, and you still have Donovan Mitchell, so even if you get down a little bit, if things don't work out, you can still get back in the game. But I think you just got to show him more because he is scorching walking into jumpers. He is absolutely feeling it a front to back performance. The postgame interview, which was incredibly moving, shows how the players are and totally totally behind this movement, how much he has been moved, even as a Canadian kid growing up watching probably stars like Iverson in Georgetown, even Georgetown affecting me in Canada with Jamal Murray is a good Canadian boy. He realizes there's these these are the racial device that going on in both countries. But he is just locked in. Unlock him, get him out of his his flow right now. You got to get him out of his flow. If you're Quinn Snyder, yeah.
Speaker 4: I saw I think it was Pablo Torre tweet. Jamal Murray is playing basketball right now like he's owned a video game for a month before everyone else and is now just destroying people with combos they don't even know how to do yet. That's a great way to put it, because yeah, it's it's just one on one. He's like, I'll cook, I'll get my step back. Three, I've got to handle the taken to the rim. And it's pretty special. Yeah, the fifty, the forty two, the fifty. But on high efficiency too, Lee, this is the wild part. This is not fifty shots. These are you know, these are like, you know, twenty five to thirty shots, high high efficiency and with all the three pointers, he's just in a zone right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and talking about taking the ball out of his hands. Obviously that would be a smart strategy from the Utah Jazz, but the way that he moves around. He often just sort of gives up the ball, then gets it back straight away and then goes to his shot. So it's not quite as easily done as it is said because he's so active on that end. But he is just feeling so outrageously confident right now. I tweeted one of his threes he hit last night. There was a three on one for the nugget and he, you know, in that sense, usually coaches want you to go in and just sort of pass the ball around and get the easy shot. He just pulled up and knocked down the three without even hesitating at all. And that just shows how confident he is right now, because if he misses that, I mean, they probably still going to win the game. But you can understand if the coach was like, no, you've got to, you know, make the basket, but get the sure thing. But instead he just hits that and it's just so incredibly fun to watch. But then on the other end, we're getting the same thing virtually from Donovan Mitchell, which is just incredible. He hit nine threes as well yesterday and he was just as good. It's just that the Nuggets got the win but also I think what's really important here is obviously Matt Murray's fantastic, but the Nuggets are just competing with an effort and an energy they didn't have there for a couple of games. Jokich had twenty two points, but he's trying harder. And Jeremy Grant, I think he's been very, very good for the Nuggets as well. So that sort of competitiveness that just went missing for a couple of games is back, and now Denver's got themselves in a position where they can win this series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Nuggets are trying to become the twelfth team to rally from three to one deficit to win the series. I think that's almost being overlooked, right because of what just Murray's doing and just being a weird series, as.
Speaker 1: It is a very entertaining series.
Speaker 4: But you're rightly, I mean, Murray is the headline, and deservedly so, both what he did on the court and talking in the postgame interview. But I thought plumb lead the plumb dog millionaire grab and you know tichange the game. Yeah, he changed it a bit, Tory Craig making hustle plays. You said, Jeremy Grant, same thing, but then knocking down four threes. Yeah, you're right. Task if you're the Jazz, I think you say, hey, Jeremy Grant, can you do that again in a game seven? Anybody but Jamal Murray and then Gary Harris first action of the series. Now, look, he didn't do a ton comes back from the right hit muscle strain, but four points minutes out there obviously a capable defender, and so that helped the Nuggets out.
Speaker 5: I thought he slowed down to Jordan Clarkson a bit. That's his assignment. Come off the bench and just lock down Jordan Clarkson, who's been really really big for them.
Speaker 1: Matt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the defense, which is sort of non existent at the beginning of the series has come around. Michael Malone has found a lineup, starting Monte Morris there and dropping Michael Porter to the bench. Now getting Gary Harris back playing plumbe some minutes, they've got some defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So so trade do you buy this? Can you just run a second guy at Jamal Murray or like it cannot even work right now with him because Lee's right, I mean, they do a lot of the you know, dribble handoff actually with Joki jump top and it's like sort of just keep giving it back to him until he sort of gets into his little groove finds enough space. I mean that one step back three he had on go bear in the car. Yeah, I mean that one was just mind boggling too. You're right about the fast break one. But what do you think, Tray. It doesn't matter. It honestly doesn't matter. We've seen this before. This is Steph Curry. He's playing exactly like Steph Curry. And when Steph Curry gets doubled, he gives the ball up, he runs around and somehow he gets it and somehow he's open for a three. I'm assuming that Murray will do the same, And then I'm not really surprised that we're seeing the Nuggets give this kind of effort because this is Jamal Murray's team.
Speaker 2: Now. I'm old enough to remember when this was Nikally Jokich's team, when he was their best player, but he's not right now. And when Jamal Murray is your best player, he brings a little bit more intensity, he brings a little bit more fire, and I think you're gonna to be at least getting the effort every single night. Whereas with Jokic, it's not a guarantee. You know, Murray can have a bad shooting night. He hasn't in three games, but he can have a bad shooting night. But at least he's still playing hard out there. At least you know you're getting the full effort from him, and I think it's made all the difference. This is the same thing that happened in the playoffs last year, right, Murray put the team on his back to get a game seven win yep, in the first round. He saved game one in this series as well. It's crazy to think that this could have very easily been a Utah Jazz sweep, and now we're talking about them blowing a three to one lead. Murray last night was incredible. When he's hitting the step back, when he's made the first couple of threes, you think he can make anything he throws up. It's exactly like a Canadian Steph Curry. The game is the same too, right, Like he's in and out, he's like pumping fakes, he's showing his hands and then suddenly it's a little scoop at the rim.
Speaker 4: He's in complete control right now. Yeah, because it's not just a shot. He has a pretty incredible handle, like Steph Curry, right, I mean he's really and it's pretty high. It's pretty high for a guard, right, Like you want to keep it at the waist, they tell you, but not Hurry and Murray. They're keeping up with their shoulders and maybe that helps. Maybe it's a little.
Speaker 2: Too enticing for people to think, Ooh, I can get a hand on that.
Speaker 1: You can't. You can get a three point in your face though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I saw the tweets going around last night, so I wanted to ask you, guys, you know what is the craziest first round series of recent memory. Now, the stakes are not that high, this is a first round series, but what Mitchell and Murray are doing night in and night out here this show We're getting this what feels like at.
Speaker 1: Times like one on one battle. Is there another series?
Speaker 4: I know Zach Lowe was throwing out the two thousand and nine Bulls Celtics tray, which was a wild, wild series.
Speaker 1: We're talking multiple overtimes.
Speaker 2: Ray Allen had a fifty one point game, Derek Rose put up a thirty six. At one point, the total points weren't quite the same. I think there was a Ben Gordon forty point game, but the shot making was very similar, and obviously I think Zach mentioned that there were like multiple moments in that where it's coming.
Speaker 1: Down to the last second.
Speaker 2: We haven't really had that as much in this series hopefully game seven though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, is there any other series Lee that come to mind, like just again crazy first round series?
Speaker 3: I think Spurs clip is from twenty five fifteen, the one where Chris Paul hits the runner off the banker to win it in game seven. I think that was a pretty close, close series because if I remember correctly, the Clippers were down two to one in that series and Game four was in San Antonio, and I was like, this is like the Spurs are going to win this series now. But then the Clippers came back, and I think Chris Paul even had the hamstring injury which cost him the first couple of games of the next round, but he still went out and just got that victory over of San Antonio in game seven. So that's the only sort of seven game series other than the Bull Celtics that I can really think of that was that was pretty tight the whole way anyway.
Speaker 4: I know, I think it was Hollander making the case for a thunder Grizzlies in twenty fourteen, which went to overtime multiple multiple games. That Clipper Spurs series is isn't that famous in our world? For two reasons? One task wasn't that the one where you picked the Clips to beat the Spurs and like Doc Rivers like almost used it as motivation, well all the other people picking the Spurs to win it.
Speaker 1: And then it had like tass Mellists.
Speaker 5: Clippers that yeah, totally totally unlike this series here that we're talking about, where I picked the Nuggets in five. Yeah, I picked the Clippers in seven to beat the Spurs their first playoff series victory, you know, over the Spurs, And yeah, he used Doc Rivers put it up on the board apparently. I remember Jamie Maggio showing that photo of everybody else putting in their picks. Everybody else had their individual picks, but we were as a team basically, and then mine sort of stood out amongst our four.
Speaker 1: Shout out to whoever took that screenshot at the start.
Speaker 5: Exactly that piece of paper and thanks for photo shopping that, Blake Griffin. I appreciate it. It was definitely Blake griff It didn't.
Speaker 3: Weren't a few people upset that they weren't included that they picked the Clippers as well, that it was like selective that doc only one person out. Now there's like, oh, I picked the Clippers too, And I was like, but I remember seeing a fee.
Speaker 5: As far as I can tell, there was like fifty people on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were a lot of Spurs picks.
Speaker 5: Everybody taken the Spurs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't remember that John Hollandre Thunder series. I probably should, but I think the Grizzlies have played a bunch of series, but unfortunately they don't get the love only from John hollingd. They're just one of those teams that they play a lot of long series. But I just remember, I mean, the most consequential first round series that always comes to mind is that we believe Warriors beating the MAVs, the sixty seven win MAVs. But you know that wasn't exciting that the Bulls Celtics won. That was not really consequential because the Celtics went on to win that series and then lose the next round. But it was like Liam Neeson movie, like nobody really cares what happens, but you're in thralled by the whole thing, right, Like that was how many? There's like seven overtimes in that series?
Speaker 1: Triple ot game six? That's awesome?
Speaker 3: Was that Ray Allen game? The fifty one? Was that the triple overtime? Was that that game?
Speaker 5: Game? It was a game sick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's yeah, yeah, Like that's just crazy to think that that was a triple overtime game and that fifty one was like, wow, Ray Allen had fifty one. Now we're getting guys just putting up fifty one, right, you know, I mean.
Speaker 4: The Murray Mitchell what they're doing right now. It is it wasn't a first round series, but tass, I mean you can speak to this too. It reminds you a little bit of Vince Carter versus Allen Iverson in the second round back in two thousand and one in that seven game series, just in terms of the pure scoring and doing it efficiently. Those guys put up some monster numbers in that one. It just feels like this I tweeted last night, It feels like this one's on steroids from that with these young guys in Murray and Mitchell. The way they're getting their buckets.
Speaker 5: No doubt. Yeah, Iverson had a couple fifties, Vince had a couple of fifties. And if it's anything like that series, we're going to get a bit of a dudley. In the game seven, a bit of it died right the game high in that game was twenty three points from Antonio Davis. Of all people, Vince and Iverson cooled off. Yeah, so I think I think you got to get the ball out of Jamals. I understand what you guys are saying, but sometimes Jamal Murray would lose the ball, like that one where he went behind the back and he lost it and there was nobody around to touch it. He picked it up and then he did a nice little scoop off the glass and he felt so good. I mean, ies on the guy who's scoring fifty points on the other team. It's I just don't I just don't believe that. Jeremy Grant and Paul Millsap, he just doesn't have it right now. Uh and and even Monte Morris. You know, I throw Tory Craig in there, but like they just just try it. I think I think you gotta try it again. Your your offense with Don Mitchell is good enough to bring you back. But yeah, this is is a lot like Iverson and Vince.
Speaker 4: It really is a final little part back to that Clipper Spurs series you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Was that fifteen you said, Lee? I think so, yeah, yeah, forty fifteen.
Speaker 4: This is for Tray and Task. Specifically, where were we when we watched Chris Paul hit the game winner versus the Spurs. What restaurant were we? I believe altogether, I know some of.
Speaker 1: You are with me.
Speaker 5: It's a two two word restaurant.
Speaker 1: Three sort of three.
Speaker 5: It's a the.
Speaker 1: Something dollar cafe.
Speaker 4: No, it's a number first something something something like a number and then an animal.
Speaker 2: Number that wood.
Speaker 1: Nice pull man.
Speaker 4: We were, I think, I don't mean Tag was, but I'm pretty sure you both were. And we watched it like in the little bar setting because we're like we were out for brunch. I think it was like I think Sunday.
Speaker 3: I don't know it was a Sunday because I'm actually I was actually listening to it on the radio. I was driving somewhere, I remember because I had that, Yeah, I had the radio the NBA app in my side console like on where I was driving and I was like, oh my god, what's going on here? And watch it fired up?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just remember we were we had friends, I think maybe in town or something, and that's why we were not watching the game, and we were all out for brunch and then we were gonna, of course watch it later. But it was on in the bar part of this nice restaurant and we.
Speaker 1: Like had I remember us. We all got up and watched like the final a couple of minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the brunch is delicious, but their game watching setup is not ideal. You're there for the food. But yeah, in a pinch, you can you can see Chris Paul hit a game winner.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was a tiny TV, if I remember correctly, one in stag one tiny TV.
Speaker 1: It was a dinner. There was a dinner.
Speaker 5: Those it wasn't a dinner, okay, okay, Yeah, eight pm APM start Basketball Reference so good, so good? Okay, wow, okay, the only site that has that start times on there.
Speaker 4: You know what I was doing there, I was doing the classic two thousand and one Sixers Raptors. That was a day game. That was That was the May two four weekend story where the Raptors lost that I was at a basement bar. We all stood up to Singo Canada.
Speaker 5: In rural Canada. Yeah, really weird.
Speaker 4: Basketball is the best, Okay, So anything else from this one? I mean, look, what do you think? I said, Trey, Remember I threw it at you. I said, does Game six feel like a must win for the Jazz? You know, we were debating that is that silly? Is that stupid?
Speaker 1: Whatever?
Speaker 4: Like what really carries over at zero zero when they start Game seven? But what do you think? What's your prediction for Game seven? How do you make a prediction for this game? Game sevens are like a toss up regardless. Both the Nuggets and the Jazz have been such up and down teams for the entirety of the year. Anytime you feel like they have momentum, it could definitely flip. There to be a lot of nerves at the beginning of Game s, haven't it feels like?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would tend to pick Murray because he's been on fire for three straight games, but maybe that's the problem that being sad. I was a Nuggets pick earlier before the series started, and so of course I'm gonna go with the Nuggets in this one.
Speaker 4: Right, you were a Nuggets in seven, just like I was.
Speaker 1: Where did you go with this one? Lee? I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I think I said Nuggets in six? Yeah, we all had the Nuggets right right. I'm just going to throw this out there too. Whoever loses, do you think their coach might be canned as well? Because think about a Quinn Snyder if they don't get out of the first round when they led three to one against Denver. He's been there I think seven seasons. Now, that's a long time. And this is a season when they came in, they had high expectations. And then if you're Michael Malone, listen, the number three seed, you go out to the number six seed. You know, like, are you really getting the most out of those guys?
Speaker 4: Yo?
Speaker 3: Kitchen and Murray he's been there a while too, So I wonder if one of those guys is going to get canned. I hope not, but you know it's gonna be a it's going to be a disappointing end to the season for the team whichever team loses.
Speaker 4: It sure, sure, yeah, they both, especially with the Jazz being up three one. I mean, I can't remember a series where it looked like a team was so dominant for the first half of the series and then sort of looked like they're outclass for the second half.
Speaker 1: Mitchell's been good.
Speaker 4: Not a lot of other guys on the Jazz have been over the last couple I mean Joe Engle, sorry, Leally, he's sort of disappeared here.
Speaker 3: For he has. I mean those first those games when they were leinning, he was great for them, you know, doing all those things, knocking down shots, being a bit of a creator. But yeah, defensively he gets cooked a lot, and on the offensive end, he's not really making up for it right now. So yeah, they need a lot more out of him. And Rudy Gobert's been okay, but not quite as good as he was when they were when they won those three games where he was just feasting on Jokic. They've actually Jokich's defense has been a lot. His awareness of go beer sort of rolling to the hoop has been improved.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's keeping that big body well some down big body a little closer to him, you're right, Yeah. And then Gobert, like even last night he missed like a pretty It would have been an awesome Lau like that one hand jam. But you can see him like he dropped his head after it. He was like you could tell he was very frustrated how he's been playing to But yeah, I guess I'll stick with the Nuggets in Game seven. But Tray's right, flip a coin, taskway, what do you say you got Denver?
Speaker 5: I'm with training that I have no idea what's gonna happen. But yeah, I'll take Denver. I'll take Denver with the way things are flowing right now.
Speaker 4: All right, let's keep it going here. Kawhi Leonard's Clippers eliminate Luca and the Mavericks in six games, one eleven ninety seven victory there on Sunday, Kawhi, oh my goodness, dominant again thirty three fourteen, seven asists, five steals, Trey big takeaway. Maybe outside of Kawhi just being a machine, I mean.
Speaker 2: He's awesome. This guy is killing it right now. Five straight games with thirty plus points. It's his best postseason streaking. He really won the game for the Clippers in the fourth quorder, the Mavericks were able to get it down to double digits. Kawhi gets put back in. He scores eight straight for the Clips. Then Reggie Jackson hit a couple of three. The game was basically a wrapped Kawhi had twenty two in the second half on nine of ten shooting. Doc said, you can tell he's the guy who knows how to close out a series, and that's exactly what it looked like. He just put the team on his back. He was hitting these little Michael Jordan's style flip shots in the lane, driving across, not even touching the ball with his left hand, just dumping it up on the rim, no problem. He was incredible, and you know the control he has and the advantage he has to be able to get a mid range jumper when that's the thing that every team in the league wants to give up.
Speaker 1: It's huge.
Speaker 2: I mean, he can get his shot every single time. It's just a matter of is he going to make it or miss it? He made most of them last night. Dontich again was great thirty eight, nine and nine in an elimination game. But the only thing people are going to be talking about with this is the future for the Mavericks. It looks bright. They need to put some more pieces around Luca. They needed to get kristaps heal at the end. Of course, another cheap shot from Marcus Morris ejected in the first quarter for karate chopping the donk right.
Speaker 1: In the neck as Luca drove to the rim for a layup.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous suspending suspending for that. Give him a game for sure, I absolutely think so. At first, I thought, oh, no, that's just a hard playoff out. When you look back at it, that swipe sort of down across his neck head totally unnecessary, and he's had a couple of little incidents in this series on the league. I just give him a game minimum for that, and say, you've been pushing us for too long, man, and you certainly didn't need to do that hard faire as of one thing. But just whacking a guy across the head like that a bit of a jerk off move. You'll get in a game for that, bud, all.
Speaker 4: Right, especially when you take into consideration last week when he steps on Lucas ankle, right, he says he didn't do it intentionally, of course some people think he did. And then now you've got the karate chop. It was definitely a karate chop. Yeah, it was a hard playoff foul and he rightfully got ejected and the flagrant two on that. But what do you think task does he get a game for this?
Speaker 5: I think he does. He has earned this reputation now throughout the series and throughout the season. As our own Trey Kirby tweeted, is Marcus Morris the first guy to get suspended in the preseason, regular season, and now postseason in the history of the NBA. He's earned it, he really has. After the step on the ankle after they getting into it with Christaps Porzingis in Game one, Listen, I think it's good overall when you zoom out, it's good to have this guy on your team. If you're Doc Rivers. Duckers loves this guy. Doc Rivers loves the fact that Luka Doncic. Number one was he was getting physical with Marcus Morris on the drive to the hoop as he should. You know, he was pushing him off there. That was a real tough chicken wing. And then after he got up after the hack on his neck, he was livid. And that's exactly what you want, is Doc Rivers. You want somebody to get under the other best player's skin, and that has thrown him off, you know, to a degree. Luca was amazing in this game and the series and having that sixteen point third quarter. But yeah, I think overall the lineup is perfect for Doc Rivers and I think they sort of found something here. First, they found out that Kawhi even though he's the best player in the playoffs right now, I think he's been the steadiest player in the postseason. He's still doing it co quietly. Yeah, needed to throw that ugly punt in there, but he's still the best. And then the fact that Patrick Beverly is out, Landry Shammitt came into the starting lineup and he's kind of perfect. You know, if you need a defensive point guard, Patrick Beverley, you throw him in there. But Landry Shammitt is more of a money shooter on the outside. And if you look forward, whether it's Denver, Utah and then the Lakers, you don't need a Patrick Beverley necessarily for the guards that they have. For like a KCP out there, I think Landry shammittt does enough defensively and a whole ton offensively, you know, to be that complimentary guy. And then off the bench you got Reggie Jackson, who in baseball, we all know is mister October. But in this game, in this game, Reggie Jackson was a closer. He really was. He hit some big threes and we're going to be potentially playing in October. If Reggie Jackson's in the finals, he could be the new mister October instead of mister April, May or June. But I just bring that up because it's one of them good problems to have, understandably, to have too many guys like Whin Patrick Beverley comes back. But we're going from this issue with the Clippers of not enough team camaraderie, they hadn't played enough games together was the idea, and I was definitely buying into that, guys like lou Williams, Mantres Harold coming in and out of the bubble. But now those two guys are getting killed defensively, and so you have to kind of take one off the floor, lou In Montrez. And so now Doc has to kind of shuffle these lineups here. And I think Marcus Morris he's going to be there to stay, even if he's suspended for Game one of Round two, which I think he will be. He's going to be in that starting lineup because he's a really good basketball player. I know, I know he plays ugly ball, but you can give it to him and expect the bucket. I mean, he was twenty points per game this year with the Knicks on good percentages because he's he can get a bucket at any time. So the Clippers are in a real great spot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Reggie Jackson hitting the three spot up threes there to ice this one. Yeah, more of a Dennis Eckersley. Is that what you're thinking? They're task but the closer.
Speaker 1: Jackson's career as a starter perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah that wow, wow, Yeah, Yeah, Reggie Jackson did it for the A's as well as Dennis accuracy. You kind of forget Reggie's Oakland A's days. I think I'm more of a Yankee, but yeah, for sure, I'm not that old, so I don't remember the Oakland days. But yeah, good stuff. Is we got another one? You want to pull out a Mike Diago, I'm Karney Lansford. Who and who Karney mckmustache. He had a great third baseman mustache.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 4: Back to Kawhi cooking. I liked when they tried to go to the two three zone on him. Nope, that's not gonna work, because that's when you see the limitations of a zone in the NBA, when the other team has a guy like Kawhi that can very easily score or make something happen. And then late in this game, you're you know, you're talking about it there, Trey. He hit three straight jumpers where he didn't put the ball on the floor. I get it, he's a tough cover, but you gotta try and get up into him a little bit more and at least make the guy dribble. Uh, and and try and maybe turn the ball over or you don't want to pass or something, or make someone else like that was that was wild. You don't see that a lot just literally gets the ball. Everything slows down because Kawi is in no damn rush and then just okay, are you gonna stand that far away from me?
Speaker 1: You're sure?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna shoot it and uh and then just knock them down time after time. I mean, he was not feeling any defense, any pressure at all. Again, not easy because even then when you pressure him, he's gonna go right around you, uh and then probably hit like one of those little crazy MJ like shots you said there Trey.
Speaker 1: But gotta give him a little bit more. Uh.
Speaker 4: The only thing else to add to this is a question for you guys, who would the Clippers rather see in the second round? Because they're gonna take on the Nuggets or Jazz, what's a what's a more favorable matchup for them? I'm sure they don't care about either team, like they are a title contender, so it shouldn't matter. But who would they rather see? Who do you think?
Speaker 3: Lee? Yeah, they're pretty even, pretty even. I guess they would rather see the Jazz.
Speaker 1: I suppose I meant so too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I really can't split these two teams because if you look inside, you've got Gobert and Joki, so both big guys who should have an advantage over Zubat's you know, in the starting but you know that played great. Yeah he competes. And then they've got the other bigger guys who who can you know, like Montrez are going to throw their body at whoever the big is for the other team. But then you've got Mitchell and Murray. I mean, either one of those are going you expect to have a really big performance as well. And then you've got the role players. The question I guess about the Jazz is they tend to sort of fall apart a little bit in the playoffs at some point. And the Nuggets, I mean, they went to seven last year and they lost the game seven home, so very very tough to really split. They've just got so many similar parts and pieces that I don't ultimately don't think. I'm just thinking who would match up on Kawhi the best, who would have the best defender for Kauahi. It's probably a Jeremy Grant or a Royce O'Neill, probably, and neither one of those are gonna ska wild that much, so ultimately it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Okay, Trey, you sort of agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kinda feel the same way that I feel about both of those teams. As the Clippers playing against the Mavericks, Like Maxi Kleiba is giving it as all out there and he's doing a pretty good job. But it's like Kwai can score eight straight points on three possessions basically whenever he wants to. It's just a matter of Okay, I'll do it right now, and I'll do it in the second quarter, and I'll do it in the first quarter and at the end of the game, it all adds up to thirty. Yeah, that's going to be the case against either of the teams that the Clippers could see in the second round.
Speaker 4: YEP, probably true. One final thing, I lied, Lee, I knew you would have liked this. When we had the karate chop Morris on Luca and all that, we had the rare four free throws to make three points situation. We do not get that very often, and Luca, I think, only went two for four, so he sort of ruined it.
Speaker 1: I missed a couple of years, but yeah, it was crazy. It was wild.
Speaker 4: You don't see that often free throws to make three points. So if he had hit his first three, then that's it. I mean, you're not getting the fourth one, crazy, right, Yeah, Yeah, if you missed one, he would have had a chance.
Speaker 3: What you did. Yeah, I really wasn't paying attention to that, but yeah, you're right, You're right. I just mo always looking back at I think it was Boban who sort of prevented Luca from going at Marcus. I mean, just that gigantic man there. I mean, Luca's watched six six sixty seven something like that, and he looked like he was about four feet tall in that particular moment because Boban just stands there and just he's just such a huge human being.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: The closest that Dont just came to injury when Boban pulled his arm back.
Speaker 1: No, no, his armor.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, he just.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean this is the funny part, ironic part. Right, The Mavericks can maybe use a Marcus Morris. I mean, Boban, that's great. He's a giant, so he's a bit of a forcer that way, but he's like the friendly bouncer, right, you need the crazy bouncer, and that's Marcus Morris. Uh, they could use a guy like that parent Sid Luca. Not that Luca can't take this. The kid played in Europe. I mean, oh yeah, he saw some hard shots, some hard fouls and you know he's not afraid. He's going at these guys. But you still need you need a crazy weirdo like Marcus Morris in your corner. I think on your roster. It always helps to do the dirty work. So maybe they'll maybe they'll get one of those type of guys in the league. What do you think they're task.
Speaker 5: Oh Luca was he just kept coming in this series totally. He needs somebody like that beside him. But as Doc Rivers said postgame, when Luca came into the league, I had a man crush on him and it's only developed more and more and more. And he was trying to be physical with Luca. But Luca six games, all the way through the fourth quarter, was trying to pull his team to victory and despite all the injuries. Yeah, he definitely could use just somebody who's also on the floor to defend him because Boban's coming off the bench generally and has to be the Yeah, the friendly bouncer, as he put it, That's that's the way to put it for sure. Yeah, he could use some nastiness. But this Mats team, they fought, they really did. It was it was cool to see Tim Hardaway play defense and know guys like Trey Burke and Michael Kidd, Gilchris, guys who have you know, sort of gone from in our NBA NERDM. We love those type of guys, like we you know, we all follow all these guys. They kind of drop off a little bit and now they're sort of in the in the sphere of things against It was cool to see those those guys come back. But uh yeahs as even Rick Carlisle said postgame, I was watching a lot of postgame press conferences. He said, Uh, you know, we're we're going to get better guys around Luca and that's that's the goal here. And yeah, that's that's the number one objective. Even though those guys are all great stories, if they can find a number three and keep Chris Tops healthy, lookout.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, this was by no means a disappointing first playoff appearance for Luca Dodgs because sometimes you see that, right, you see young talent have an incredible year and then they get the first taste of the playoffs and you know, it's a bit of a shell shock moment. I know, this whole bubble thing sort of throws that out the window because there's no fans and you're not on the road and stuff. But like you know, we've seen guys have dominant, young regular seasons and then struggle in their first playoff series. I can't say that happened here with Luca, and he did it against one of the best defenses in the league. On a bum ankle for a good chunk of it. No, Kristaps Porsing is for a good chunk of it and still put up a fight. So yeah, you're you know, I saw Mark Cuban tweeting how like excited it felt like, you know, coming through on the tweet, just like the future is still promisingly with with well you saw here from Luca and what he even had around him still getting them to a couple of victories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's just the defensive end you've talked about it. That's what they need. They need someone who can protect the paint and protect the perimeter a little bit better because you can't have Luca trying to do all that on both ends of the floor. And I think, you know, I don't know who they're going to target, but I think a guy like in al Horford, you know, who could help them defensively. I think that would be important and he offensively wouldn't hurt them either, but he's probably not quite on the same timeline as where the Mavericks are. But the player like that, you know, prime al horforit there in Atlanta and Boston, I think would be certainly an upgrade. And then they need some perimeter defense as well.
Speaker 2: So I have a feeling Philadelphia might be okay with partying with Al Horford maybe gettable Oh yeah, no.
Speaker 3: I mean that's the sort of thing. But he's what thirty three I think now, So you knows his best days are probably behind him, but he's the sort of player that I'm saying, you know that they need someone there to help sure Chris STAPs as well help Kristaps learn how to play a bit better defense. So, but you know the things from the Maverick yesterday. Offensively, I think Luca will be great with a guy like a Tim Hardaway and adri In Phinney Smith if those guys can be consistent and relied upon like they were earlier in the series. But you also knew it was like they were kind of punching above their weight to do it the entire series without Kristaps. So, but that's the sort of system I think that Luca is best in when it's like, you know, it's like Lebron, you know, when he was at his prime, like or in his Cleveland days, like spread him around with shooters and let him dictate how he's going to facilitate the offense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I would have liked to have seen, honestly, the Mavericks play the Nuggets or the Jazz. I wonder if they would have beaten them in the first round series. No, I know, the porzingis injury, you know, MUCKs things up. But they are playing the Clippers here, who people had as a Championshi contender from day one, you know, when they bring in Kawhi and Paul George and yeah, they were missing a lot of guys throughout the year, but everyone had them on the short list of teams to win the title. So this is not like, oh, what a tough first round loss, you know, like the complete opposite. They're playing on what should be one of the best teams in the league. And I wonder if they would have advanced to the second round if they matched up almost against anybody except the Lakers are close.
Speaker 1: It's possible. It's possible. All right, let's keep it moving here.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get to the Celtics Raptors Game one second round series. But first get the guitar. Maybe I don't know, quick word from our sponsors there, Oh.
Speaker 5: You better believe I wrote a song for today. No guitar though, groom, groom groom, groom. I want to see you, groom. Let's spend the night together, but first let's see you groom. Another week of Manscape Dads. Baby, don't turn this off. That's the extent of the song. Yeah, we've been doing Manscaped Dads for so long that the following copy has already gone through three phases. It was believable. Then it didn't seem like it was happening. But now it's come all the way back around and it's definitely a possibility. Live sports are back. We may see an NBA playoff matchup between the Clippers and the Nuggets in the second round.
Speaker 1: Ooh yeah, still possible.
Speaker 5: One more win for Denver. That's why our partners at Manscaped have partnered with us to make sure your nuggets are as safe as possible when that matchup happens. And if you aren't freshening up, you're undercarriage. After hearing a fresh daily Manscaped ad for the last few weeks, I don't know how to help you. Honestly, forget Manscape products for a second. Just take care of yourself a little bit, regardless of what tools you own. Hit the groom room for ten minutes and make it happen. But if you want to do it right, grab some manscape gear. Lee. Do you have a groom room? I know you have a boom room.
Speaker 3: The groom room is the boom room you have. Gross, there's a lot of hair on my hairy God, there's a lot of hair in my house, all over.
Speaker 1: That white coach. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I hope it's the dice in room as well.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, yeah, don't get me started on the dice. I don't know the bad dy with the dice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, wonder it's not working. You're clogging it up with all your.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but my hair isn't long. It's just a lot of it, you know. But yeah, I'm out on the diceon. I'm out.
Speaker 1: Give me a shock.
Speaker 5: You never know, Mike Dyson is making a comeback in October. You never all right. The Lawnmower three point zero is the best hygiene tool for the modern man. They're perfect package. Three point ohero comes with that lawnmower, waterproof cordless body trimmer, a crop reserver, deodorant, a cropper, reviv toner, performance boxer, briefs, and a travel bag for you to use when we're done. Quarantining, and probably some other stuff I don't know right now. You can get twenty percent off and free shipping with the code the Athletic twenty at manscape dot com. That's twenty percent off with free shipping at manscape dot com and use code the Athletic twenty. Take your grooming game to the next level.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into it.
Speaker 4: Celtics dominate the Raptors one, twelve ninety four to take the one to zero Eastern Conference Semifinals lead league.
Speaker 1: Get us started.
Speaker 4: It was a miserable day for the Raps there. It was a rough first quarter and it didn't really get much better from there. Celtics played a pretty damn good game of basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all I can say about this one for the Raptors. Now listen watching this game. Fantastic performance from the Celtics. They were on their game from the start. They scored easily, they defended well. The Raptors couldn't score at all, and their offense looked awful. See after we getting three fouls in the first quarter. I certainly didn't help. But two years ago, if you remember, in the second round, the Raptors played the Cads in a game that they should have won, but they lost, and basically they lost the entire series with that one game, even though I know it took a game winner from Lebron in Game three of that series. But you've just felt that the Raptors didn't win that game and that affected them mentally.
Speaker 1: That really just.
Speaker 4: Right right you're talking about the game where they had like seven chances to tip the ball.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, So they lose that game and you could just tell that it was like, oh my god, how they lost the unlosable game. Now, this game wasn't unlosable. And the Raptors are so much different from them because mentally they're a very strong team. Go back to last season in the playoffs, every round except for the finals, they were down in a series, they tailed in a series, and they fought back, and I think that's a credit to Nick Nurse, but also just to the players. They are experiencing their veterans, and that's what if you're a Raptors fan, you are hoping to see now in game two, like a pretty quick bounce back, a pretty quick response, because Game one was as bad as I think the Raptors could have played.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 3: I didn't see anyone out there who seemed to get in any sort of flow. And again, a lot of that I think goes to the Celtics defense and just the way that they played from the start. The Celtics jumped on the Raptors from the start, and anytime the Raptors got that lead to sort of nine or eight points, it just felt then all of a sudden, the Celtics rattled off three or four straight baskets. Kemball was great. Jason Tatum, I think he only finished with twenty one in the end, but it felt like he had a way bigger impact on the game. And Marcus Smart was also very, very good for the Celtics at both ends. So this one you could look out and go, wow, the Raptors are in trouble here, and before they won the championship, I would say absolutely they're in trouble. But having won the championship and shown last season that they mentally are a lot tougher team, I think this is just one of those ugly games. They missed five days. Kyle Larry talked about the emotional things that they've gone through. Of course, with a couple of days off, so they weren't on the they didn't get off to a good start. But I think the Raptors just don't need to panic anyway, and I don't think they will. I think they'll be much better in Game two. I certainly hope so, because otherwise this series could be over very quickly if the Raptors can't sort of shake off that performance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Raptors first quarter eleven fouls committed, okay, three of them on Siakam, Ugly turnover after ugly turnover, missing makeable shots at times, and we're down thirty nine to twenty three. They could not find any sort of rhythm offensively. Now, they never really found it all game, and that's the concern task if you're a Raps fan. Celtics are a damn good defensive team. They took away the transition lee. That's something you talked about heading into the series. Raps only had seven fast break points, and that is with the Celtics actually turning the ball over a lot. They just are so athletic, so discipline defensively, they just screen back on defense and they're like, just don't let the Raps score in transition because we think we can slow them enough. When it's half court and you know, so far, so good. Of course after one game, really now two games down in the bubble where they've done a great job, But are you concerned tasks.
Speaker 5: As a Raps fan, one hundred percent definitely concerned. The Celtics team is not going to give up transition points. The Raptor's weakness is what the Celtics are going to try and illuminate here or highlight, and their weakness is half court offense. I mean, that's that's where the problem is. Where's it going to come from. I think a few things here. I think they maybe tried to push Pascal Siakam a little bit into that number one role, maybe try to focus on him a little too much, maybe tried to get him going a little bit too much. I'm just trying to find an excuse for why Pascal Siakam was missing bunnies at the rim over Jalen Brown, who defended him well, and they were definitely ready for that spin, but he was also missing the three point shot. Pascal Siakam was not good, and he's definitely the guy who can overcome any sort of great half court defense. He's the guy who can just get his shot at any time, so Pascal has to be better. Maybe if it's in the flow of the offense, it'll matter a little bit more, or he'll be a little less. I don't know, Deer in the headlights. I'm the number one guy here in a tough series. But he just missed bunnies and that was that was weird to see him get Jalen Brown down to the rim and then front rim it a couple times there early and so he had just a terrible night offensively. And I think you may have to go small, as we talked about Pascal Siakam and og Ananobi at the four or five sit down Gasol and Surge, just to try and space it out as much because the Celtics defense is so good, or maybe you have Mark Gasol on the floor and let him guard Marcus Smart. It's a great suggestion from our colleague Blake Murphy to see if the Celtics go to him a little bit, if the Celtics go away from Jalen Brown, Jason Tatum, m kemba Walker at all and try and get Marcus Smart going on Marcus Sol because Gasol's struggling out there on out there trying to you know, hang with Daniel Tye on the perimeter and then hang with guards. So I think the Marcus Smart experiment might not be bad. But we didn't see Nick Nurse have to adapt because this was a frigging blowout, and so I think I think Nurse would have in the fourth quarter if he needed to, because he is that kind of guy and we know he will try some things. But I'm definitely worried about the half court offense, especially when Kyle Lowry looked good and he had a seventeen point night, and you know, Kyle Lowry might have some duds in this series. You need, you desperately need somebody like Fred you know, Og to have a big game or a Norman Pwell to have a big game. And you got a great surge game as well. So yeah, definitely definitely concerned with where the points are going to come from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Lowry gave the Raptors a chance at the end of the third quarter. I thought he sort of did his classic like takes over the game for three or four minutes to give him a fighter's chance. And then the start of the fourth quarter happens, There's a Lowry score again, the Raptors get a stop and then Lowry turns the ball over and Brad Wanamaker hits a three, and it was like, oh, all that great work you did Lowry. There he sort of just gave away there on a brutal It was a brutal, brutal turnover. But otherwise, Yeah, Sergeo was okay. Lowry played fine. I thought everyone else sucked. Van Vliet sucked. He's having another baby. He was three or sixteen, two of eleven from deep You hope that doesn't happen again. But yeah, Trey, I'm interested to hear take You had the Celtics obviously in the series and seven. A lot of us picking a seven game series here, like you, what did you take away from this game? One of how well the Celtics played or how poorly the Raptors did.
Speaker 2: Well, the main thing that sticks out is the Raptors going ten for forty from three.
Speaker 1: That's terrible.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna win a game shooting twenty five percent from three. And then, you know, you would assume that the Raptors will shoot a little bit better going forward the series, and you also don't expect Marcus Smart to make five threes. But the offense just comes easier for the Celtics. You know, I thought Kemba Walker was incredible yesterday. He was just in complete control in the pick and roll, finding out whether he's going to take a jump shot, whether he's going to get to the rim, whether he's going to set something up for somebody else.
Speaker 1: And I thought Tye was great too.
Speaker 2: He really outplayed Mark Gasol being a fulk rum for the offense, cutt into the hoop, hitting the glass, scoring points.
Speaker 1: This Raptors are going to have to.
Speaker 2: Go small if Gasol is not going to do anything out there, if he's not playing defense, if he's passing up shots. It's the classic Mark Gasol, what are you out there doing? You're just out there and they need more. They need the Raptors need to find a way to score some points because I mean, the Celtics played good. Their defense was really really good. I thought in the first half, like Lowry, he ended up with a decent line, but I didn't think he was really doing anything in the first two quarters of the game. And that's really where the game was lost for the Raptors. They were down by seventeen at halftime, and that's tough to come back from then you look at the Celtics. It didn't feel like anybody played an incredible game, but you still get twenty five twenty one from Smart, twenty one from Tatum, seventeen for Brown, eighteen from Kemba Walker. The points just pile up because they have so many options out there. The Raptors got to find a way to get out in transition because the Celtics do a great job.
Speaker 1: They turned the ball over a lot.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, twenty two turnovers, but most of them were not live ball turnovers, and the ones that they were, the Celtics are a little bit faster, smaller, more athletic team.
Speaker 1: They do a great job of getting back.
Speaker 2: So if Siakam's not gonna be able to score on Marcus Smart, maybe you just got to go small and try and run as much as you possibly can. Figure out a way to get a little more space out there so that Fred van Vliet can get some good looks. It's just one game, right, like we saw the Celtics. The Celtics beat the Bucks last year right in Game one and then they ended up losing in five games. This can turn in a second the Raptors. They've won a Game one, once right in franchise history, literally one time. This is where they are meant to be. This is still going to be a long series. It's still going to be a great series. Can't wait to see the adjustments. But Toronto just played really, really poorly yesterday. I thought the Celtics were good, great, so it ended up being a nice win for Boston.
Speaker 4: Here's an email we got, sup No Dunk's crew is Pascal siakam overrated. Nothing he does on f offense is smooth. Everything seems rush. That was from Dustin and like you said, it was a rough Game one. Let's be honest, tasks. He's been bad in the entire restart. He has not played well in the bubble. He's averaging under eighteen points per game, shooting under forty percent, can't really hit a three, He's like at thirty one percent there. And I am concerned in like, these teams are so great defensively and if they're going to take away transition, if they can the Celtics, and it's gonna be half court offense versus half court offense. I think Trey, you're sort of right. I got a lot more faith in a Tatum and maybe even a Brown and maybe even a Kemba for that matter, to create something in a one on one setting of breaking down a guy and at least getting into the paint either to the line or setting up another guy that I may be doing the Raptors because Siakam. I mean, look, there used to be debates like Tatum or Siakam. Tata is Siakam. I love Siakam. I'm a raptors him. There's no way in the world you're taking Siakam over him. You're just not because Tatum he can dribble, he has handled, he can look at you, he can square you up and go buy you. That's the problem that to me, Siakam can spin until he's left, you know, the spin until he's dizzy. But that it's it's different. It's just to me, that part's a little different. Now, Yeah, he was he was missing bunnies inside because he's a big dude and he had smaller guys on him. But I think the Celtics are happy with that type of offense. If that's what the Raptors have to do. I'm a little concerned. I will say after one game. You know, we've been here before with the raps. But the Celtics might just be a bad matchup for this team because they played damn good defense and that's what you got to do.
Speaker 5: Sure, of course, their perimeter defenders are tough, and that's why you saw Fred van Vliet see a lot of length and have a bad game outside. And Kyle Lowry, I thought, yeah, he was definitely slow in the first half, but he's not going to score a lot more than what he got there with seventeen points. So it is going to be up to Passcal Siaka. I'm not going to hope for ogn and Obi to have a monstrous game. And Norman Powell maybe yes, maybe no. Pascal Siakam is definitely no. You wouldn't take him over Jason Tatum, no chance, because you know Tatum is on that superstar threshold. While Pascal Siakam it's different being a number one option in the regular season than it is in the playoffs. It was a it was definitely a worry. I think people just say he's a number one option because he has had to take that role on He's he's he's the next logical option when Kawhi Leonard left. It's just it's just logic but it's not it's not necessarily that he's he's been able to, you know, to to seamlessly go into that again. Regular season is just so much different. But we all thought he was ready for this role because of his growth. Just to be able to score inside. It's definitely been a bad bubble situation. Game four against the Nets was better his last game before the series, so it looked like he was coming on. But yeah, he he should be able to hit a four foot bunny that has nothing to do with handles, that has nothing to do with being able to square up a guy and go buy him. It's just a buddy. So that's where he's going to score his points. And we saw Joel Embiid sort of shut him down last year. A big body in the middle in Round two with the seventy six ers and Pascal Siakam, you know, like Fred van Vliet, like the rest of the Raptors just plugged away and found a way to contribute deep into the playoffs and kick. But against the Golden State Warriors trade this is where I got to correct. You said they won one game one in franchise history. I think they've won three. They won two. They won two last year, including the Warriors.
Speaker 3: Well, I've won four. They won that Vince and Ilivison series. I won game one of that series too, at.
Speaker 5: Least, Well, there we go. I think that's that's probably that's probably the extent. It's probably four, but it's not four and twenty five years sweet, But yeah, it's not. He wasn't born a number one guy, but just the way he's grown, we thought he would be ready for it. He just wasn't ready for it yesterday. And yeah, they're a bad matchup because of the length of Shorty Fred. He's not he's not a big man. But if there's gonna be hands in his face the entire time, somebody else has got to help. And you would think Paski could do it. I think he's he's he's longer, and he's bigger than Jalen Brown. He's not tougher than Marcus Smart. And that's the weird part to me. I say tougher, I mean, you can't post up Marcus Smart. Well, I don't know why anybody tries. It's just it's you're just it's not gonna work. Even though Pascal Siakam is bigger. That was a weird part to me, Pascal Siakam and Sergea Baka as well playing in the post. What are we doing here? We're not a post team, There's just not. And Pascal occasionally can go in the post, for sure, but this game to me was lost. They're down twelve end of the first half and you're you're posting up serge of Baka. This isn't year one of serge Abaka with the OKC thunder here trying to figure out what he is. Uh, and then he turned it over because it's not his game. And then it goes It's a seventeen point game at half when it could have been single digits. Uh, you know, not to point out one play and say that that's what it was, but I think this team doesn't score in the post, and it was a It was a strange thing. Nick Nurse. Nurse was trying with the size. I think, I think he'll probably swing it the other way and go small soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And again, this was a textbook sort of team effort here from the Celtics, because you're right, no one had like a dominant game, but everybody was just good. It felt like smart hitting five threes and Tatum with the twenty one. You guys said, you know, shooting fifty percent from the floor. Brown didn't shoot well but still hit threes. Obviously is a positive out there. Kemba totally fine. Four threes Tice on the boards, time Lord five for five. I mean that's big. That's found money right there, giving them ten points used to win. Sorry, that sounds a huge wind Melton that he had.
Speaker 2: That was shades of Lebron spinning the ball on the sideline against the Raptors.
Speaker 1: How dare you?
Speaker 4: And then not even Brad Wannamaker. Yeah, hitting a couple threes too. They they really got contributions from basically everybody that played in this game. So a really nice win for the Celtics and we'll see what happens moving forward. I'm a little concerned. I'll be honest, the Bean Town boys, I'm gonna be wearing a green hat by the end of this. I can see it now. Maybe that's what that's the pick and payoff here. If the Raptors lose.
Speaker 3: This, thet.
Speaker 4: I have a green hat. That's a fine one. All right, let's keep it going here. Got some news quickly thunderguard Dennis Ruder and Rockets forward PJ. Tucker were fined twenty five thousand dollars each after their altercation in Game five over the weekend. NBA executive Kiki vandwe announced the punishment on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Kiki doesn't love it. Would you punch it?
Speaker 4: Bead you Red Dennis Tuckers. So yeah, twenty five thousand dollars, just a fine, no suspension, Trey, Yes, Keets.
Speaker 1: I appreciated the tweet.
Speaker 2: Man, A honk will get you a game, but a punch is the twenty five thousand dollars fine ridiculous to me. Ridiculous to me, But trust me, I would rather much rather get honked then punched. A honk, you know, a honk fifty to fifty It might actually feel all right, but a punch one hundred percent that hurts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a yeah, because we talked about Truder getting a game way back when he was a rookie with the Hawks, and he did more of a honk sort of punch on cousins, if you want to call it that. But the league said in the statement Truder was fine for making contact to the groin area, Okay, duh, And it said Tucker was fined for quote approaching Shrewder and making contact with him in escalation of the altercation. But that is contact with the guard did not meet the standout for a head butt.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So do you remember we were talking about Jiannis and I brought up how woes he turned it? Ahead bump not a head butt that I think is the definition of a head bump is what PJ.
Speaker 1: Tucker did hear? Not a head butt.
Speaker 4: Head bump didn't get.
Speaker 3: An Yeah, okay, good to know in future reference will have a bump or a butt. Yes, I have to figure it out, but I'm happy with that. I think twenty five thousand h is fine. And you know how many NMH MANSKEP products you could probably with eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, jeez, you good for sure, especially with the discounts.
Speaker 5: Well you have huh yeah or no dunk shirts. You could buy a lot of no dunk shirts with fifty thousand dollars and it goes to charity.
Speaker 4: Damn right, no dunk dot Com, Go grab one. Yeah, tass, you got your wish, though you were you were concerned that if you know, Shrewder got a game, then this thing was a wrap. At least these both guys are going to play here as the Rockets leade the series three too with the thunder, you know, trying to stay alive here on Monday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dennis Shreudter has been so good for okay, see it's uh, he's been their best player, so yeah, we definitely needed him out there. He's been smooth, he's been buttery, he's been feathery. I love watching him play when he's this good, and he seems to be, you know, other than Chris Paul pulling up into the mid range, the only guy who can really get to the rim, Shay Gil just Alexander, your man Skeets just hasn't I don't know who he is. He can't handle and he gets beaten on defense when you know that's he's good at it. I don't know what's what's going on other than this just being his first experience here as a starter. But he was, you know, we expected like he was with the Clippers last year and hit hit big shots, you know, as a supporting player. Obviously very different in his role now he's more of a prominent guy. But I don't know, it doesn't look like shake gild justs Alexander whatsoever.
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't.
Speaker 4: He's played better today for them to get this to game seven. I think I figured it out though. I think you can only have one Canadian dominating at a particular time. So Jamal Murray right now has all that the Canada power. He's got the juice. SGA is running on empty. It's like you and I task we never both have a great show here.
Speaker 1: One of us is always bringing it the oh. I mean just it's a Canadian thing. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're probably right. We can't hog the spotlight. You go ahead here, Okay, well yeah.
Speaker 4: We'll get just set for today's two playoff games. But first quick word from our sponsor. So listen to this Instagram message we received last night.
Speaker 1: This is This is a real Instagram message we received. Quote.
Speaker 4: I just wrote my PhD thesis using Grammarly's help, and I received a lot of compliments on my writing. English is not my native tongue. Use this on your next ad. Read end quote. That was a real message we got last night from Cardo. A fantastic recommendation, very much appreciated. Also a little funny because Ricardo accidentally spelled compliments wrong. But that's Okay, that's okay. Probably turned off his Grammarly and it was in ig right. You're in Instagram, you know lesson learn. But Grammarly is the digital writing assistant that helps more than twenty million people just like Ricardo, put their best words forward. I love this service. The premium level is the way to go. Truly helps your writing. It focuses on clarity and vocabulary. Vocabulary excuse me, suggestions, Holy crap, do I need that? You ever knows how many times I say bonkers on this show or ridiculous. I mean, I'll take a word and I will beat it into the ground. And it's tough not to do it, really, it really is. But Grammarly helps out, especially when you know you're writing your emails and stuff like that. Okay, I always use that word, give me something else.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: I liked it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, let's try that. So I love it again. I talked about it yesterday when you were talking about Lee. I love the interface. I think it's so just like flawless, especially when you're writing an email and you just click this little button if you want, and then it's like, oh hey fix this, hey change.
Speaker 3: That, do that.
Speaker 4: It's like fantastic, So get twenty percent off grammarly premium when you sign up at grammarly dot com. Slash no dunks has twenty percent off Grammarly Premium at grammarly dot com slash no dunks g R A M M A r l y dot com slash no dunks. Okay, so let's get to tweet.
Speaker 1: Of the night.
Speaker 5: Tweet out the night wow twitet.
Speaker 4: Okay, we got a fun tweet of the night here the other day, I guess it was yesterday or tweeted the night was h well, it was poop related. It was deuce related, so we had to follow that up. We were talking about George hills pregame routine of taking a shit. So tonight's or today's three to the night from last night, it's from the poop to the pit Smith between this photo, you saw Luca drink in this uh you know, oddly colored beverage for big hydration and bigger taste. Reached for the cool, smooth taste of pists.
Speaker 1: Because it does look like Luca's drinking over there, little playoff pe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, because I don't know if it makes.
Speaker 1: Apple, I mean apple juice apple.
Speaker 3: Because he's drinking out of an aquafina bottle. Usually they have their own water bottle, so you don't see it like this. So yeah, what what did he just grab that from someone else?
Speaker 1: I mean, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think as well, like you know, so like people seem to have gotten a bit away from the gatoray to these last few years, people are just drinking straight water, So I don't know what. Maybe it's some Slovenian mix that he used to drink in Europe for really, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: It's it is interesting. It sort of looks like stuff you've you know, you've consumed before in the office. Lee, I'm not, well, I've seen you drinking stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: So and that's why I'm okay with lucat doing. I want to try it if that's piss and he likes it, you know, apparently, did you know? Apparently, because you lose so many nutrients through your urination, a lot of times boxes and fighters and stuff actually drink their piss because they want to get those nutrients back into their body.
Speaker 5: That's a myth. That's a myth.
Speaker 1: I've seen I remember seeing it.
Speaker 3: I seen it one time in a documentary and I'm like, the guy was there and he's drinking his own piss.
Speaker 5: Well, the myth is that like if you have no access to water, that you can drink your own urine, which is fine, you can to a point, but then you I think you get poisoned basically with ammonia or whatever it is. You wouldn't die, But no one's drinking their piss for any other reason other else to drink.
Speaker 3: This is from the BBC. Okay, while drinking a small amount of urine is unlikely to be hazardous to your health, there is always, says, not enough modern evidence, but people, people, people still do it. I'll see it.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: We are not recommending anybody to drink your own piss. Okay, I just want that on the reck.
Speaker 3: What about a piss and payoff? We play like pisce roulette. We all piss into a cup, we put it around.
Speaker 1: Do you think you would be able to identify your own roulette?
Speaker 4: Did I have Asperius?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Then you'd be tanking though, wouldn't you if you rigged it like that?
Speaker 1: For sure? For sure?
Speaker 4: All right, yeah, well we'll tune in tomorrow whether we could complete the trifecta we had the dump. We now have the piss. What would be the third thing I get related blood?
Speaker 3: There's one other there's one other thing, but I don't think we want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, no, no, save it second.
Speaker 4: So thank you for having tweet of the night there from at Corbinate Smith that was going around or was having a laugh?
Speaker 1: What was he drinking? Look crazy? Okay?
Speaker 4: Test set up today's games for us. We only have two on today.
Speaker 5: We have to doubleheader on TNT, some good ones. We talked about Houston. Okay, see there briefly, Will Houston just leave loud Dort open? Yes, Well, what's lou Dort gonna do? Are they going to take loud Dort off and throwing Dennis Shrewder there early? Bring him bring him in early like they did in the second half. Ah, some coaching fun there in that game, but also the earlier one. Round two starting this is great. We got round one and round two at the same time. Miami and Milwaukee. Everybody's hot, tisty, very tasty. Everybody's A lot of people are taking Miami to upset Milwaukee. I think we were three to one trade taking Milwaukee, the other three taking Miami in the series. Jeez, just can't wait. Can't wait for ant thirty Eastern start.
Speaker 4: I know, I love that there's no d games anymore.
Speaker 1: You got those nightcaps for us. Also, the heat.
Speaker 4: Haven't played in like a week, right, It's been been a long time, so I mean, I wonder if that affects them at all, because they swept. Obviously, Bucks had to go another game and we had the break and play there, so I think it's been a while, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 4: You're right, I'm excited for that series to start, Heat Bucks, and then we'll see if we get a game seven. Any any predictions, Lee, Uh, let's say.
Speaker 3: The thun to drag it at to seven. And let's say let's say the Hate get this one started to get a really spicy.
Speaker 4: Someone's full of piss and vinegar. I'm very exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, Lee, don't you always say you don't want to drink Budweiser because it tastes like piss, And now you're just volunteering to drink other people's piss.
Speaker 3: I would rather drink other people's pists than Budwiser. I'll say that much.
Speaker 1: We're never getting a Budwiser sponsors.
Speaker 3: God don't want that money. Get out of you, Bud.
Speaker 4: But if we get something like that just related products, yeah we're in. If we get what product piss related product. I don't know, something you can suddenly pee into your never mind. Answer your questions and comments to no dunks at the Athletic dot com. We'll be stepping on the beach at some point this week, so get your cues and your comments in. If you listen to the podcast on iTunes, please leave your boys a five star rating and review really helps in terms of rankings.
Speaker 1: If you're catching us on.
Speaker 4: YouTube, thanks so much. Subscribe to our YouTube page and make sure you hit that little notification button so you know when we're going live.
Speaker 1: You never know where.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have a piss some pickum payout and we'll do that live for sure, whatever happens. All right, So that's it for today. We'll see you on Tuesday. Enjoy the game tonight, Clipper bros.
Speaker 1: You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up, love you guys. Awesome.
Speaker 5: How do you follow all that up? Thanks for joining us, and remember, if you're smelling asparagus in urine, it's actually a land in your nose that allows you to smell it. It has nothing to do with the urine. It's just you're special. You're special.
Speaker 1: Wild it is.
Speaker 5: I have it?
Speaker 1: Does anyone else?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do for sure, because it happens immediately first.
Speaker 4: Crazy, it's crazy man. Yeah, we're Pitts brothers. Buddy drinks. I can drink your pets every day. I don't you happy every minute.
Speaker 5: It's been so long with your.
Speaker 1: Funa waiting for.
Speaker 5: It's happened already.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be grey.