Speaker 1: Hi everyone, I'm Rachel Zoe and you're listening to Climbing in Heels for your weekly dose of glamour, inspiration and fun. I'm joined today by the wonderful and incredibly passionate entrepreneur and founder of Poppy, Alison Ellsworth. Allison has built the most fantastic and successful brand that's rooted in a product that she created truly out of necessity. She discovered the health benefits of apple cider vinegar and created a healthier soda that's become the fastest growing beverage of all time that is insane well simultaneously giving birth and raising three young boys. I'm so incredibly inspired by Alison's vision, So let's jump right in. You are going to love this toppisode.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to have you on. You know, I drink.
Speaker 1: Poppy, my team drinks Poppy. We all like my refrigerator is filled with Poppy. But I also want to say how cool it is for me when I like a brand, when I see like kind of all these different people coming in from the wild holding the brand, which I imagine.
Speaker 2: Is the greatest thing for you.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk about this because I want to dive back to the beginning for a second.
Speaker 2: So you grew up in Texas, born and raised.
Speaker 3: So born in Colorado, lived there for like a year. But I don't claim that I'm a Texas girl. Through and through. I grew up here, lived here, forced my husband to move back here. I'm obsessed with Texas.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 4: I love that I love Texas.
Speaker 2: I love that I love that you love Texas.
Speaker 1: Having so many people in my life from Texas, there is this overarching common thread of friendliness.
Speaker 2: And first of all, everybody's tall, so I do want to really I am tall.
Speaker 4: Yes, literally every.
Speaker 1: Friend I've ever had from Texas is incredibly tall, except for one. The guys are gigantic, they are actually gigantic, and the women are also very very tall. But there's this happiness about Texans. The people I've met from Texas are driven, They're happy, they love Texas.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 3: No I've always said I started the company in Texas, and I always feel like if I wouldn't have, I don't know if you'd be so successful. It was like Texans love Texas brands, like everything about it. But also other people like Texas brands yes, and usually don't get a lot of better for you products, right, Usually you're like New York, LA, and so it was really exciting to have like a better for you product coming out of the South as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, so I love that about it.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about that.
Speaker 1: I want to understand a little bit why you created Poppy because you started in oil, which is funny because I was saying earlier to my producer. It's funny because when you're in LA, you're like, oh, are you in the industry, And it's very clear what industry that is when you're in LA. When you're in New York, it's like, are you in the industry meaning fashion or art or theater, but or finance then and then I feel like Texas, It's like, Okay, you're in the industry and that's oil, right, So so how do you go and why do you go from working in the oil industry too, saying I'm going to start a wellness sparkling soda.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because I kind of come from a family of entrepreneurs. So my sister and my dad are both in the Olan gas industry, and I graduated and I've never been from college. I've never been a person to like want to go work in like a cubicle or for another person, and there's a lot of financial freedom and just like I don't know, career freedom when you work in gas and you're on the road and you're you're basically have no boss, right, so you have to be very much a self starter.
Speaker 4: And so I did that, but I was never like I was good at it.
Speaker 3: I was really good at it, but I wasn't like passionate about it. And while I was on the road, I'm sure you've spent many year where you're like traveling and you're on the road, it's like what I call is like this carier Like I got like road warrior belly, like where your tummy hurts, you're tired, and your spoons off and you're dehydrated, and it's like all of the above. And it was just really wearing on me so much showed that I started like going to the doctors and being like, what's going on, And really it came down to my diet.
Speaker 4: Like at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: This was like almost ten twelve years ago, before the gluten free phase where people are like, oh, what you put in your body, you can actually you know, affect the way that you feel.
Speaker 4: And I discovered apple cider vinegar. I started working out.
Speaker 3: And reading ingredients and nutrition panels, and I just came really passionate about just better for you lifestyle. And I know, just there was no like better for you soda. I grew up drinking soda. It was just part of my household. It's like this nostalgic filling that like you have it with movies, you have it with you know, every get together, and there was just nothing out there.
Speaker 4: So once I kind of discovered that, I just went to my kitchen.
Speaker 3: I love cooking, and I kind of just created the first version and it was a total accident.
Speaker 4: Not an entrepreneurial journey at all.
Speaker 3: And I shared it with my husband and with other people, and they were like, this is really good.
Speaker 4: You should do something about it.
Speaker 3: My dad was like, you should sell your hooge, and I was like, I don't know, Okay, sure, but I was just so excited to share it with others rather than like to monetize it. And I kind of feel like some of the most beautiful things come from like passionate emotion versus.
Speaker 4: Like a business plan and how do I do this to get rich? Like type of situation.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting because they do know what you mean. Because the first high fifteen years of my career, I was like on a plane, I wasn't sleeping.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're eating on set.
Speaker 1: Like you know, we had these there's something on set called craft services, which I'm sure you know, and you just graze and you eat like things that and you just feel so sick every day. And then when you fly and you just feel constantly out of sorts, really, and I don't think people recognize until it's too late. Very often, the impact of travel on our bodies, and work travel specifically, because it's not elective most of the time. And I think as we get older, our bodies are like, ooh, just kidding, that's not going to work for you anymore, Like you got to change something. And so being in Texas, which is not the world of wellness, and you know, I always think of it as the steak and potatoes and like milk and all the things, because I'm sort of like.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is why everyone's tall, Like.
Speaker 1: They actually do drink the eight glasses of milk you're supposed to have or whatever it is that you know. My my poor thirteen year old son is so vertically challenged right now and every day makes up He's like, should I start drinking milk?
Speaker 2: Mob Like, maybe I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: It's okay.
Speaker 3: Men are late bloomers. My husband in every way he grew no. I mean, I think like being in Texas, yeah, definitely, I didn't grow up with the emphasis on like health or wellness. To your point, yeah, steak potatoes. It was like a normal once a burger, tacos, text mix, all of those things. So it was like one of those moments where I felt like we had discovered something, me and my husband on doing this, and I was like, I just want to share with people. So I wanted to also start a family. At the time we bought a house in Dallas was kind of putting our roots down and no kidding you, Like we bought the house in December January, I got pregnant, like so quick, We're.
Speaker 2: No nitches work like that.
Speaker 4: You're like, it was not part.
Speaker 3: Of the plan, but we embraced it, and I was like, I can't go back in the road. So I want to just start selling this that our local farmers market, which is what I think a lot of better for you products start off testing, and within three weeks we had Whole Foods come by our booth because they're a Texas company and she's like, you guys should be in Whole Foods. And it was the first moment I was like, oh, I have a business here and I I don't that second that conversation. I still remember her name, Kelly Landrew. She changed my life. And I looked at my husband and say, we're putting our life savings into this we're doing He's.
Speaker 4: Like, what are you talking about.
Speaker 3: We just bought a house, you're three months pregnant, Like like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, we're doing this. Like it was so determined from.
Speaker 2: That How old were you then at that point?
Speaker 4: So that was like six years ago.
Speaker 3: So I was thirty twenty nine thirty at that point, and you know, just started really going down that we opened our manufacturing facility, put our life savings in and just kind of went all in and got to the point where we needed funding. So of course the next step in the American dream is Shark Tank, and went on Shark Tank. At that point, it'd been like you.
Speaker 2: Han't got on Shark Tank. I mean that's like that's not easy. It's not.
Speaker 3: And what I didn't realize is the show like reaches out to people. We went stood in line and did the open casting call with hundreds of other people. I'd had my first, I was pregnant with my second. I was like, let's just keep I was like, I refuse to just pick one or the other, Like that's like my model life.
Speaker 4: I do too much, like all the time.
Speaker 3: So I was pregnant with my second when we went onto Shark Tank and I was nine months pregnant on Shark Tank, had the baby ten days later.
Speaker 1: So stop it. It's been wild. Yeah, girl, what sign are you?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 2: Virgo?
Speaker 4: I'm a Capricorn. I'm a pretty hardworre capcorn.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm so infanty read very Virgo by the way, but Virgo's and cops. My baby son is a cap similar to you. I was, I got pregnant, wasn't trying. Was launching my clothing collection and launched it literally like I think it was like three or four weeks before I had my first son. And I remember standing there with the models and styling the looks for the collection, and women's were daily taking a picture of me. I had this tummy, I was wearing thigh high boots, I was wearing like all the things, and I'm like, Nope, nothing's going to change.
Speaker 2: Nope, nothing's going to change. Nope. I got this. I'm going to do this.
Speaker 1: But like, I want to talk about how that was for you, going on Shark Tank and doing this whole thing, and being pregnant, having a child, like and honestly being young. I had my kids late, right, I had already built my career, so I was able to sort of say, Okay, my team's going to come to the house to work today, or I'm going to bring my son with me on this trip or whatever. I was able, i think, to dictate a little bit more of how that went for me, but it was still incredibly challenging. So I want to know, as you were launching this dream that you didn't even know what's going to happen, you know, And I always say, there's no blueprint for this, right, you can't. I'm sure people ask you all the time like how did you do this data and you're like, honestly, my passion I left it.
Speaker 3: It was you know, right, yeah, And you a lot of sleepless nights, lots of tears, lots of ups, lots of downs, lots of fear, lots of you know, the list goes on.
Speaker 2: But I cheve entrepreneurship, by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think we left an insanely successful career to go into this. And I always say, like, unless you really are passion about it, like you're not going.
Speaker 4: To leave that security.
Speaker 3: And then just being a mom was also just a really big goal in my life. My husband grew up Mormon, like family is just like a really big piece. He's like one of six, I'm like one of four. We just like always wanted that from like a young age, and I was just like, why do I have to cheat? Like that's just how I am. If you tell me no, I'm like, oh, I'm talking to the wrong person. And I just feel like it was just I wanted both and I didn't have to choose.
Speaker 4: But was it way harder, Oh my gosh. Yes.
Speaker 3: Like it got to the point where he had to get like a second job. We were working bottling during the week. I would work with the baby strapped to me. I did delivers with them strapped, like we could not afford a babysitter. Like my mom would come down on the weekends when she could help, you know, got to the point where you know, we're just like, this is like can we do this?
Speaker 4: The low lows, the high highest type of situation. But just looking back on I wouldn't change any of it.
Speaker 3: I remember with my first being on the bottling line going into labor was back on with the baby strapped to me two weeks later because we like needed to keep going.
Speaker 4: And I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it didn't seem hard at the time looking back, like, oh my gosh, I don't know if I could do that again.
Speaker 1: No, But I mean I think we could say that that was a runnal in. You could say that that was like excitement and determination. You could say that, you know, when you tell your kids this story, they're going to be so proud of you.
Speaker 2: Is your husband your partner?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: So yeah, And he runs like at Poppy, I run like all of our creative brand vision and he runs like our innovation and our supply chain. So we're very opposites as well, and he like I couldn't do it with him, he couldn't do it without me. But he does allow me to be crazy, which I like. I think at Poppy like like the level of quickness that we work through and like we move at the speed of culture, Like we have to be like really nimble, crazy and willing to take risks. But it's funny because I had my first two pregnancies and like children while growing the business, and then I waited four years and Poppy was like humming along and great. And then I had a third and that was such a different experience. Yeah, I was gonna ask, you know, it was on flights with me twenty times, who are six months old and like, and you are running around doing interviews, will breastfeeding on the subway, you know, like all of those things. So I think I got to experience both. And you know, I look back and it's just a built grit to get me to continue to get where I am. And now I'm like, maybe I need more good things happen at Poppy. When I get pregnant.
Speaker 1: I'm going to predict you are likely having a fourth. I mean, even if you didn't say that just now, I'm going to think.
Speaker 2: That you are.
Speaker 4: I love chaos, I well.
Speaker 2: Clearly, but I think it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the not making a choice because I think I think that is the hardest decision that women have to face if you want to have a business. I think I don't want to say it's totally different, but I want to say there are differences between building a business of your own versus working for an established business where you have job security, you have hopefully you know, you have your health benefits, and you have all these things. When you're starting a business ground up, that is a real choice for women to say, you know, I'm going to have kids later, let me build this and then I'm going to have kids, or I want to have my kids be a mom, and then I'm going to start my business after I have my kids and they're.
Speaker 2: Like all in school and whatever.
Speaker 1: I have many entrepreneur friends, many successful, many of closed businesses, many have grown and sold and all the things, and we talk about a lot at our dinners and our events, like how hard that is to do simultaneously. And I don't want to skim over it because to your point, I think being an entrepreneur in general, there is not a woman I've had on this pod who would tell you it is not the fucking hardest, most rewarding, most painful, most exhausting, most exhilarating. All the things you want to quit, you want to throw it in, you have to keep it going, and it's all the things. Being a mother is also like that, right because I think we there is so much guilt in that motherhood of I don't want to miss anything. But I think what's evident is your determination to succeed. And I think for me what really stands out is doing this in Texas where it isn't the expected, the saturated. I mean here in La I'm pretty sure there's a wellness brand launched every hour in different categories. But there is a question I wanted to ask you that I noticed and I'm not. I'm not positive are you the CEO or No.
Speaker 4: I'm not, nor would I ever want to be.
Speaker 3: I think it's so funny when people start their businesses is and this is something that I speak on quite a bit, and just I think a lot of people start your business and you want to own it all, right, You want to You are to say visions that letting go of allowing people that actually know better than you is one of the hardest things you will ever go through in your career.
Speaker 4: So started the company, me and my husband.
Speaker 3: You know, I ran all of our marketing create like all of this stuff, and about a year in like Poppy, just for context, is the fastest growing beverage in the history of beverage. We're four years old. We are the fastest growing beverage in the nation. We're the number one sold on Amazon, We're in one in ten household. It's just been absolutely crazy. And when you have that kind of explosive growth, I've never done this before. Now, my intuition has gotten us so far. But we got to the point where we were like, hey, we have to bring someone in and I we actually went to our born We're like, we need to.
Speaker 4: Bring in a CEO. It was really hard. I like cried.
Speaker 3: We were like going through this, like, how can we go through this? Once we went through it and got it, we found the right person. We were part of that decision. That's always something I always try to say to other entrepreneurs.
Speaker 4: Be part of the decision.
Speaker 3: Don't allow it to happen to you and get to a point where it's like so you're removed and it's like this dramatic No, it's okay, it's growth.
Speaker 4: I'm learning from our CEO, right, And I.
Speaker 3: Realized being a CEO, it's a lot of people management, it's a lot of process, it's a lot of P and L budgeting. There's so many things that I'm like, oh wow, I don't want to do any of that.
Speaker 4: Like I do run a team. I run our creative team.
Speaker 3: We have like an internal agency, which I adore my creatives. Like I'm not saying that, but it's like we have over two hundred employees. And then a few a year after that, I was running the marketing and I was like, we're about to buy a Super Bowl ad, like we are running TV.
Speaker 4: Like I've never bought.
Speaker 3: A Super od like have you It's like, you know, and so we went to once again. I said I want to bring in a traditional CMO. And you know, that was one of the hardest years of my life. And did coaching and worked through that. But I think, like I think people hold on to the word CEO, you know, and it's like this thing where it's like, as an entrepreneur, our founder is a really powerful title. My title is chief brand Officer and a run brand. But I wish more people talked about that, you know.
Speaker 1: That's why I want to talk about it, because I found that really interesting because I have I can't even count how many badass women that I have in my life, and I'm going to say that most of them are CEO. But what I would say to that is, over the last year, many have stepped down as CEO. Many are dying to not be the CEO, and it's releasing that control and that title. And a very successful friend of mine who has started five companies successfully all of them literally this summer, was like, I, for the first time in fifteen years, don't have a CEO title.
Speaker 2: And we were like, I'm like, how does it feel.
Speaker 1: She's like, weird, peaceful, like I can sleep. And so I think, to your point, it's about being involved. And I think the key to being a successful entrepreneur is to recognize your strengths, recognize your challenges, and then hire the best person around you to fill those spots.
Speaker 3: Right, I have this beautiful I think, like one of my strengths as a leader or just in life is I have this ability to get people to believe they can do anything through by the way, yeah, through brainstorming. And some of our most magnificent ideas have come from like junior people and me just like tell me a little bit more about that or push the wiser why they'll come up with the idea.
Speaker 4: I'm like, why can't we do it? I'm like, why can't we do it?
Speaker 3: Like, let's think about that, right, And I do think that's one of my strengths to get us to think differently. We move really quick and just like for example, last year we did a Super Bowl ad. We bought that super Bowl the Wednesday before the Sunday of Super Bowl. Like that crazy we can have and be, but we'll play in our calendars. We'll get like eighty percent of it, like super in Stone. But you can't be culturally relevant if you're planning like what you're doing in twenty twenty six. I don't know what's going to be cool in twenty six. So this ability to move quick is like such a gift, and I agree the team has seen that and they've found ways to support me in that right and like that my strength isn't going out and building the most amazing retail program or media program or you know, sales team.
Speaker 4: Right. So no, I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that you asked that question because like, no, I'm not coo, and nor do I want to be.
Speaker 1: But I love how proud you are to not want to be, because that's another thing I really try to teach people is like not everyone has to be, not everyone wants to be, and not everyone should be. And I think that's the thing that what you're saying is so important for young people to understand that it's absolutely okay to not want that role.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean one hundred percent. I love that you said that.
Speaker 4: I love our CEO.
Speaker 3: We totally stole them basically from another company I'd been out from fourteen years. You'd worked his way up from like hr all the way to CEOs. In every position, we're great. I'm great friends with this wife. So it's like it can be a beautiful relationship as well. I should be, you know, look at it as a downside. So no, I love that, and it allows you know, back to like just being a mother throughout all of this. It's funny like when you were saying that stuff earlier, I you know what came to mind is the different challenges that were when we're starting are so different now Now I'm gone a lot and I don't get to be with my kids, and my husband's sit down at home more and just recently, I'm like, wow, I'm missing a lot, and I'm kind of having to step back and be like, I maybe should say no more reprioritize, stay home, and like that. That's a decision that I've been like, never thought I would have to think through.
Speaker 4: But I'm like, whoa, I'm missing?
Speaker 2: How old are they? The boys?
Speaker 4: Two? Six and eight?
Speaker 1: So that's perfect because you can still really confidently make those choices and not miss a thing. Yeah, so but think about that really, because I only say that because you don't get it back. But you don't necessarily have to make the choice. You can do both because.
Speaker 2: You are who you are in this company. You can do both.
Speaker 1: And I think they're at ages where you can bring them with you, so you do get to do both. Because that's what I was doing because I was to your point. I wouldn't make the choice, and so when they were little, I would just take them and then in between everything, I got the hugs and I got the meals, and I got the bedtime, and then if I had to go to an event, you go when they go to sleep, you know, And there's there's that, and that's also the gift. I want to talk to you about a couple of things. I want to talk to you about naming it Poppy because it was called the mother beverage.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, okay, why tell me?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So when I first started it, it's like apple side of vinegar was kind of like the key and like you're the mother of vinegar, and it was like we were almost this what I always used to like in us too is like the sister to kombucha, right we it was just more.
Speaker 4: Farmers marketing, health focused.
Speaker 3: But when we rebranded and realized we were soda for the next generation modern soda, what kept coming up over and over again is like pop soda pop, And so we named it Poppy off of soda pop. And I just love it because it just even when you just say it makes you happy, the colors you're happy, it screams pop, it screams soda.
Speaker 4: So it just made a lot of sense to change the name.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad we went from bottles to cans and then we launched Poppy. So like all the Shark Tank and all the mother stuff was previous, but then we launched Poppy March third, twenty twenty, the first week of COVID, which is like absolutely crazy, But I love it because I think hold on, wait, let me backtrack.
Speaker 1: So you went on Shark Tank. You were due in ten days, you had a toddler or baby, yes, and you went on Shark Tank. You do the whole pitch at the time you went on Shark Tank. Was it called the mother Beverage or is it called Poppy? It was called the Mother Beverage? Okay, So what happened on Shark Tank? And how nervous were you in that moment?
Speaker 3: So I actually wasn't that nervous good? Because I was like, if you get too nervous, you're gonna go into labor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you imagine O.
Speaker 3: Praying the best days, just being like you have to say so calm. On the other hand, I swear because I was that way. I look over my husband's like pouring sweat. He's seen he can't like there's these like shots of him where it's like very close up and he will never live those down. But no, we had the baby, so we get the deal. We have the baby ten days later, and then it usually takes it's like four or so months for the episode air.
Speaker 4: And honestly, if you get a deal. It's not even guaranteed the air, so at the end of the day, it's a TV show. As to make it right, of course, we did spoiler, We're alert.
Speaker 3: We did get a deal, closed the deal the friday before the episode aired.
Speaker 2: So what did they offer you?
Speaker 3: We did four hundred thousand I think for twenty percent of the company.
Speaker 4: And who which shark?
Speaker 2: Which shark?
Speaker 3: So his name was Rohan Oza and he was more in the beverage world, which was amazing. And I love guest sharks because they don't have a lot of deals.
Speaker 4: So I think he's done one or two Shark Tank deals.
Speaker 3: And it's nice because we get his time and his team and I met an amazing person.
Speaker 4: Is right him person?
Speaker 3: We just like from that moment, decided to rebrand, change the name, and then decided, you know, the month of covid to launch it.
Speaker 1: But so, okay, I want to talk about that. So covid did you have in your breakdown?
Speaker 3: No, we'd flown out to California though, like to set off for exost, a big event the first week, and then they canceled the event. I remember like flying out that like maybe three to ten cases and we were flying home.
Speaker 4: They had thousands and we were so devastated.
Speaker 3: It was like our coming out yeah party basically, but it was a blessing disguise.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say like Covid was, but just yeah.
Speaker 3: It forced us to really think differently as a business fundamentally from the beginning, because everything that traditionally people would do when launching a company was off the table from day one. We had to just try new stuff. And really what it was is we were like one of the first brands to get on TikTok. I have over two billion views on TikTok. A third of platform is seeing my face seven times.
Speaker 4: I always say it's so fun.
Speaker 3: I'm thirty seven year old mom of three and gen Z like loves me, Like that's.
Speaker 2: So great that. By the way, that is no easy feat.
Speaker 4: It's not. I just think we jumped on It was the wild world West.
Speaker 3: We digitally connected, We went all in on Amazon, and we're just a digital first brand and it's just stayed in our DNA since we've just grown, grown, grown, and then now we're starting to do in.
Speaker 4: Real life stuff and have had some amazing pop ups this year. But we got scrappy at the beginning.
Speaker 2: I love it. What I'm so, I'm so impressed with it, I really am.
Speaker 1: I mean, how do you feel now about influencer culture, because obviously the pendulum is swinging all over the place at this point. And I think obviously, given that you did, you are digital first, and you did and do continue to have insane success on TikTok and everything. What are your thoughts on influencer I guess marketing at this point, branding, how do you think the impact has shifted?
Speaker 2: And do you consider your face the face of.
Speaker 1: The brand or do you use a lot of outside talent and will you continue to do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So when we first launched, we did before we ever did a paid ad, before we ever used a PR agency or anything traditional marketing right in real life sampling nothing we can do anything.
Speaker 4: So we worked with influencers.
Speaker 3: And at the time I didn't realize that I was building myself as face of the company.
Speaker 4: But it was free for me.
Speaker 3: You get online and post of course right right, and it just I did it with no makeup on. I had my kids running around the background like I was just posting it.
Speaker 4: It was desperate for.
Speaker 3: Everyone to learn about Poppy and it just like Mekanically, I became the face. And then we've always worked the creators, and I'm obsessed with the creator just like everything that they do and the strength and like they're entrepreneurs theirselves at the end of the day, right, Like the amount of the good ones, Yeah, it's absolutely wild. Yes, yes there's some good ones and there's not some good ones. But we've also worked with celebri and what we're seeing is it's just such a different level to work with a celebrity as a creator. Creators get it where it's like we need stories, you know, and there's so much more willing because it's like they don't have the job themselves, whereas if you were with a celebrity.
Speaker 4: It's not as authentic as it used to be.
Speaker 3: You have to find like a real reason why you want to work with it. So we just launched like a partnership with post Malone. And why I liked it is he went on a couple of podcasts saying he had given up Big Soda and I was close friends with his manager and I text him. I was like, oh my god, and he's like, I know because I gave him Poppy and he lost like thirty pounds.
Speaker 4: I was like, this whole thing in complex like all these people.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, that's authentic, right, that's a good reason not I want to put so and so sure, you don't have to.
Speaker 1: It's almost like you went in the you went in the front door instead of the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally, and so like for me.
Speaker 3: The one thing though, as a brand, the creator economy is very expensive. Yeah, and I don't know what point smaller brands.
Speaker 4: Can sustain they can't.
Speaker 3: It's really tricky because when we were first starting out, it was kind of on the rise of it, and you could get people for very affordable whereas people when we start out were five thousand.
Speaker 4: Now they're like and fifty thousand for a social post.
Speaker 3: And so I don't know. Something I think eventually has to give and I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: What I'll end up giving.
Speaker 1: And I've seen it sort of with the fashion influencer world, is they don't they just don't get hired, yeah, and then they have to and then they have to work for less because at some point the brand is like, uhh, we're taking the upper hand back because we're not spending this money on you.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, most of them aren't working, and.
Speaker 1: So the ones that want to work are either going to have to charge less or not work. So I think that's the only way it gives, truthfully, and the same thing will happen eventually. I just think because the virality of certain brands and certain creators, I think, all of a sudden, once they have that virality, it's they have the upper hand, right, But I think it's always going to do this but very interesting. I mean authenticity through and through. So what's next for you? I'm so excited. I'm such a fan. I love my entire team drinks Poppy, and like everywhere I go there's Poppy.
Speaker 2: It's it's really amazing.
Speaker 3: Poppy is the official soda of the Los Angeles Lakers.
Speaker 2: So we just have like insane is are you pinching yourself?
Speaker 4: So I'm so annoying and I'm going to say.
Speaker 3: People ask me this all the time, and I think I should reframe how I answer.
Speaker 4: Usually I'm like no, because I still got shit to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do need to, Like that's my whole new balance that we were kind of talking about earlier. I need to sit back and enjoy this because it's so freaking special. But also I'm like, I'm not done like I have I'm dominating, we are disrupting soda. It's like this whole thing that I'm like, I'm not ready to sit back in pitt result, but I do have to.
Speaker 2: I think, no, I think listen.
Speaker 1: I always say complacency is the enemy, right, Like for me, I think I think for serial entrepreneurs, it's clearly you have the bug, right.
Speaker 2: But I would say now, because I'm you know.
Speaker 1: Like a couple of years older than you, what I would say is, in many ways, some of the most exciting things that happened to me in my career are a blur and I only remember them when people interview me about them, and then I'm like, right, yes, because it was just and so and I never once stopped to recognize what was happening. And people would say it to me in the moment, do you believe you're doing Do you believe you're on a plane with so and so? Do you believe you're flying to Monaco with Britney Spirit?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Do you believe these things?
Speaker 1: Because in the most and it's work, it's your job, and as much as you love it, you're like, and you're leading it. So what I would say to that into anyone listening is because you stop for ten minutes to recognize what's happening, or to maybe have a glass of champagne or whatever it is, to just be like, Okay, that does not mean you are resting on success, and that does not mean you're stopping tomorrow. That just means you're taking an hour to say, I can't believe this is actually happening, and that's it, and then you live in that moment for a minute and then go onto your next thing the next day. But it is important to do that. It is important to do that also, like document it. Doc you will obviously, especially the Lakers, that'll be documented for you.
Speaker 3: But social media also makes it easier to document.
Speaker 4: Everyone's like, yes, right, a journal I'm like, oh, that's my word.
Speaker 2: You don't even need to and there.
Speaker 4: Just I'll just go back on my TikTok feed.
Speaker 3: No. I know it's true, Like it's this new level of balance that I have to find in my life because I've been working so much that everyone just like, I don't know how you do it, Alison. Look, I'm a creative and I have to allow that space to be creative.
Speaker 4: So I will take your advice.
Speaker 1: Just try to stop, even for an hour, just recognize it and then move on to the next thing.
Speaker 2: But take it in from any of those beautiful boys. I love that you're a boy.
Speaker 1: Mom. Yes, next time you come here, let me know and we'll go have drinks. I love it, happy in tequila love.
Speaker 4: Say thank you so.
Speaker 1: Much, Anny, Thank you so much to Alison for being on the pod. I honestly lived for our conversation, and I really really loved how loud and proud she is about not holding the title of CEO, because I think as females, over the last several years, we have become so obsessed with having the title of CEO, even if we don't know what it means, or even if we don't know if we want it or not.
Speaker 2: And I think that's been one of.
Speaker 1: The biggest takeaways for me having gone to so many events and sitting at so many tables with so many successful women. How over the last year or two, how many women are either stepping down and relinquishing that title, realizing they really don't want it anymore, realizing what it truly means, and that that's not.
Speaker 2: Actually where they excel.
Speaker 1: That was a really big learning and I also love how open she is about being young, being accepted by gen Z, which is really hard, being adored by gen Z, and I guess by definition being a millennial having three kids and really not sacrificing her brand vision and being so proud of it. Anyway, loved this episode. Thank you so much for listening to Climbing in Heels. If you haven't already, please subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, the iheartapp, or wherever you get your podcasts so you don't miss a single episode this season. Be sure to follow me on Instagram at rachel Zo and the show at Climbing in Heels pod for the latest.
Speaker 2: Episodes and updates. I will talk to you soon.