Speaker 1: I have a prayer for you that you find a good thing and make that good thing be within yourself, so that you can believe in yourself and know that anything is possible. Put one foot in front of the other. I ask for a prayer over you, a covering over you, so that you will do away with fear and realize that your dreams don't work unless you do. Overstand that you can't fail if you don't quit, and if you fall down seven times, get up eight. Recognize the power that's inside of you. You have the power to change your life. Wicker everybody, no one will sleeping in bed.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I want to hope that you stop sleeping on yourself. Stop couning yourself out versus it's impossible, Realize that I'm possible. Listen, Prayer changes things, and prayer and change it starts with you. All right, y'all know what time it is. It's that damn dawn like the break of day, and right now it's time to give with Vitamin D live. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. You are tuned in to the Vitamin D with Dawn Day podcast and I am your host, Dawn Day, here to get you excited about your life so that you can live life on purpose and for a purpose. If this is your first time tuning in and welcome Vitamin D, it's upon off. My name. My name is Dawn, and you get Vitamin D from the sun. So I'm here shed light into your life. And I do this with inspirational insights and conversations with celebrities and everyday people like you and me, because if you want to be better and you want to do better, then you're going to have to be able to see better. So join me on this journey of living our best lives and understanding and realizing how you are your greatest sassay, get.
Speaker 3: Your viting indeed right with me, and get excited about your life.
Speaker 1: It's a good day to be alive. Happy thirs day, Oh man, another day to do it again. They say gratitude is everything. The more grateful you are, the more things you have to be grateful for. You know, I have to start out the Vitamin D with Wake up everybody. The ain't no more sleeping in bed. You know, always talk about dreams and making dreams come true. But I gotta challenge you to dream while you're still awake, because we know faith with our works is dead and that goes for anything and another thing. Don't count yourself out of the power of your mind. You ever realized you can visualize things and manifest them in the real life. You are a spiritual being having a human experience. That's what I got to say. Listen, I got some news and information. You know, I'm gonna give you some resources, and I got a Vitamin D advice letter. I'm talking about a young lady that lives at home with her mom, or doesn't live at home with her mom, but debating us too should she move back home with mom? Plus, you heard the news about Ananda Luis right? Did you hear that there is a new Jim cro cast system and would you believe how it's affecting us today? Stores are closing. It is a lot going on on this show today. I am going to definitely give on some resources, some information, some news, but also I want to encourage if you are watching, whether it be on Facebook, whether you're on LinkedIn, whether you're on YouTube, to call me up here in the studio because I would love to hear from you, because I want to make sure that this is an ongoing conversation. Okay, the number to call me in the studio is eight one ant four six one fifty four thirty two. It's eight one at four six one fifty four thirty two. I want to give a special shout out to miss Mayan. How you doing? Yes, Miss Mayan is an US faithful Okay from the FM's out to Vitamin D Live shows up each time, and I want to let you know I appreciate you, and I see you and thank you for seeing me. Now, since we're talking about seeing and observing things, I got to ask you a question. When it goes down to our homeless population, do you think that changes being made, all of the money that's invested, what we got going on our community? I want to know because I just saw a story on KTLA talking about how much we spend on those who are unhoused in our community. Now, believe it or not, California has invested twenty four billion dollars of the fast five fiscal years to address homelessness. You know, it underscores the state's urgent effort to curb the intractable crises. As people are saying, now, there's an estimated of one hundred and eighty one thousand people experienced homelessness in California, and that was in twenty twenty three, an increase of sixty three thousand individuals in the past ten years. I mean, if you look at the fiscal year of twenty twenty one to twenty two alone, when the homeless population was estimated to be one hundred and seventy two thousand, California spent two point I'm sorry, seven point two billion dollars, which equated to nearly forty two thousand dollars per homeless individual. Now, these spending efforts, they include housing and rental assistance, physical and mental health outreach, case management, and funds to purchase motels and other types of temporary housing. The question is is this money well spent?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: My brother proverb over there down in the LBC was like kick me up. When I was on the FM down was like dawn. There's rumored that these motels and hotels that were getting funding to house those who were un housed, that the funds weren't used correctly. Now, at the time, I was waiting on to hear from the mayor, from community officials to say, well, what is going on? What is there to be talking about? Now this comes on the heels of after twenty twenty two, when Governor Gavin Newsom threatened to withhold one billion dollars in funds from cities and counties, criticizing their homelessness plans as inadequate this summer. In fact, he directed local governments to clear encampments or risk losing out on state funding next year. And I quote he stated, I want to see results. I don't want to read about them. I don't want to see the data. I want to see it because we don't see it as believing right now. This skating report was released in April, and the California Auditor determined that the state has done a poor job accounting for homelessness spending and tracking adults. In fact, it was stated in our quote, we believe that the state's policymakers and the public need up to date information to evaluate the efficacy and effectiveness of billions of dollars in state spending. Now, our own Mayor Karen Bass declared homelessness as a state of emergency and launched her two hundred and fifty dollars two hundred and fifty million dollar inside Safe program on her first day in office. And this is back in December twenty twenty twenty two. The initiative directs tens of millions of dollars annually towards programs that transitions homeless homeless individuals into temporary and eventually permanent housing. Now, according to a city website that tracks results, says that more than twenty one thousand people have been moved indoors since twenty twenty two and more than five thousand have found permanent housing. As with the state wide homelessness programs and grants, however, critics question if the money is reducing is alt reproducing results, and is being properly tracked. So I guess I want to hear from you. Pull up on me right now. I would love for you to call me and let me know. Are you staying in the area that is fluent with those who are unhoused? Do you feel that the City of la has done a job when it comes to housing individuals who in house? And furthermore, how can you stop individuals who actually choose to live on the streets because they don't want to be controlled. They don't want to be told what time they have to come in, when they're supposed to eat, and how they're supposed to live their life. And furthermore, quite frankly, people find it a less stress to perhaps live out on the street whether than to be housed. Now, we know that we are on the cusp of but the twenty twenty six Olympics. So the city has been doing a major job as far as clearing people out. But the question is what happens the next day when they come back, or when you hear stories about individuals that own houses and you got squatters in your house. I mean, you think about it. This is what we are putting our own self at risk if you think about them when we talk about cleaning up our streets. If people aren't housed, who's cleaning up the streets that is being left behind. I'm just saying these are the questions to be asked, and you know, we can't do anything about it unless we start to have the dialogue. So my thing is this, don't sit there and talk about you got an issue, oh, twenty twenty eight Olympics. Don't sit there talking about we got an issue? About what's happening. If you aren't speaking up, if you aren't trying to talk about it and find out a resolution. I'm just saying, let's just be quite honest. Was that a who? Just somebody just called it a pump fake? Look, I mustn't turned off. Well, miss Jacket, you got questions?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Hello, talk to me? Oh miss Pellisia. Hello? Oh it's so loud what you're doing? Can you hear me?
Speaker 5: I can't hear you.
Speaker 1: I can hear you. Can you hear me? Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That cand Okay? How you doing on the air? You live on the air right now in DC? I just got done talking about the story about our homelessness population and can you hear me? Okay, because it sounds like your background is loud. Okay, I just got done talking about the story of the unhoused population and how much money we're getting stud Did you want to comment on that or what you got going on? No.
Speaker 5: I was calling in because I knew it was eight o'clock and I'm on the bus headed back to my airbnb, and I just wanted to let you know.
Speaker 2: And I just saw the picture that I just sent you.
Speaker 5: I said, well, man, I think she's on the air.
Speaker 1: I showed off your pictures last week. I sure did not last week on Tuesday. Oh, they saw you out of Howard they saw you by the monument, they saw you with Miss Howard University. Yes, we ragged on you. I was hoping you could call in, but I know that because of the time difference.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I couldn't because I was in that gym and the and the it was loud.
Speaker 1: And then when I got.
Speaker 5: Out, I said, it's probably too late. And I didn't even bother to try. But I thought about you just now. Did you see the homecoming pictures that I just sent a little while ago.
Speaker 1: No, because I've been prepping to be on air. So we got to talk like we're talking to everybody because everybody's hearing you. So you want us to give us some updates on what's going on.
Speaker 5: Yes, we spent time having so much fun. Oh yeah, I'm having so much fun. Well, yesterday and the day before I spent two days in the Afo American Museum and oh, that is just an awesome museum. I'm going to go back on Monday before I leave to come back. They're a just to kind of take it in again because it is fabulous. Uh, it's one of the best museums beside Detroit. Detroit is one of my favorite museums, believe it's not gone.
Speaker 1: I mean it wouldn't because I'm from Detroit, would it be? No?
Speaker 5: Uh uh hagnaw. That was before I met you. I enjoyed that museum that was across the street from where Rosa Parks lived at the time. So uh and then my my next favorite museum is the museum down in Alabama and uh uh no, Memphis, Memphis, Memphis Museum. I had the chance to tour it before they got the new one and the old one, and that's the fabulous museum as well. But the one in DC, the new African American Museum, which is three levels. It's the first the first two levels to make you.
Speaker 1: Cry, Oh, just how far we you know what. I'm glad that you're talking about this because it's emotional because of what we came from as people, right and that's what we got to encourage people to get out and go. In fact, mister Levonn is tuning in from Facebook right now, says this day, please explain to the brothers why they need to get out and vote for VP Harris for president. I mean, we got miss Jackie above and beyond mobile signing service down in Texas says voting matters Can you talk to us real quick why you want to encourage the young people? You want to encourage our black brothers while they need to vote.
Speaker 5: Boy, I tell you if our young black brothers will go to one of these museums and see the things that we have gone through since what what was it fourteen? I think it started at fourteen seventy something with my I'm about to get off the bus. Then let me get off and get into my place that I'll call you right back.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're not on another call. Okay, okay, okay. Where the phone line is back open for individuals to call in? But that was miss Felicia, Miss Felicia Richard calling in. She's in DC right now. She was just saying how she went to the museum out there, and she said it brought her off to tears. You know, what is it? The African American Museum out in DC. But it just came to go on the heels of we're talking about the importance of voting. In fact, y'all just made me think of a new story that I pulled up. Can I tell y'all something now? I'm also going to be playing a video clip. No, we haven't done that I told you. I'm coming back and full of fact now to give you a little idea why we need to talk about while voting is so important, because there are changes, or I shouldn't say changes, things happening in our world and our community that are affecting people that look like you and me. Now, I'm not trying to get serious, listen, I'm just keeping it real so you know the da about how we make change, because if we don't, the change is going to be made for us. And I came across this one story Black Information Network and it dealt with an author and scholar, Michelle Alexander. She's here to explain how the new Jim Crow legal cast system operates in much of the same way as slavery did more than a century ago, utilizing the criminal legal system in other social, political, and economic systems and American society to discriminate against and mass incarcerate people of color. Y'all want to take a listen, all right, check this out.
Speaker 6: Mass incarceration of poor people of color now operates as a fully comprehensive and well disguised system of racial control analogous to Jim Crow. I state my basic thesis in the introduction, where I write what has changed since the collapse of Jim Crow has less to do with the basic structure of our society than the language we use to justify it. In the air of color blindness. It's no longer socially permissible to use race explicitly as a justification for discrimination, exclusion, and social contempt, so we don't. Rather than rely on race, we use our criminal justice system to label people of color criminals and then engage in all the practices we supposedly left behind. Today it is perfectly legal to discriminate against criminals in nearly all the ways it was once legal to discriminate against African Americans. Once you're labeled a felon, the old forms of discrimination, employment discrimination, housing discrimination, denial, the right to vote, exclusion from jury service are suddenly legal. As a criminal, you have scarcely more rights and arguably less respect than a black man living in Alabama. At the height of Jim Crow, we have not ended racial cast in America. We have merely redesigned it. More African American adults are under correctional control today, in prison or jail, on probation or parole, than we're enslaved in eighteen fifty, a decade before the Civil War began.
Speaker 1: Oh, how do you feel about that? Since we were talking about the importance of voting, why people need to get out, we see the advancement of how the new racial justice system is that of reflected of the Jim Crow cast system. Yet when it comes back to pushing people in color, a lot of people of color incarcerating founds. You don't have any right except for I guess if you're Donald Trump and you're running for president. Yet there are so many people who don't understand the importance of getting registered to vote, why it's so important to get out there and vote. And when you have systems like this in place where at one time, when you're talking about marijuana people were being locked up. You're getting locked up or even keeled. If you're whistling for somebody, your life is being taken. If you're jogging, your life is being taken. If you're just sitting there watching TV in your own dang gone house. And yet people don't understand why it's important to vote, why you have to make your voice get come be heard. Change has to start with us. And when you talk about the rights of the community. When you talk about your family, when you talk about your livelihood, what are you doing to step up? I'm open enough the conversation because I would love to hear from you and your thoughts about that. Does it scare you, doesn't make you nervous, or perhaps you sit on the other end and you might just say right in fact, I'm still going for Trump. Now, we got miss Jackie in from Texas, says registrating for registration for voting in Texas closed last week on October sixth. Now there are some places, I believe in the state of California you can register and vote up until the day of election. Now the question is are you taking advantage of it? Do you have any comments about the video that I just play more poorly? What does it mean to you as a people? Now, there's so many people that stand on one end that got so much to say. But when it's time to pull up the show up or call me up, it's crickets. Well, this is your opportunity right now. You can call me in the studio so we can talk about at eight one, eight four six one fifty four thirty two. That's eight one, eight four six one fifty four thirty two. We are talking about a vast array of topics that are affect in our community, things that we know that we need to take a part of, and things we know that we want to influx change. I mean, we are finding for the change for our lives. And if we don't step up as people to seek out that change, to be that change, to vote for that change, well heck, we gonna be doing the same dog one thing. And it's going to require people just like you who are watching, people that are listening, to show up and let their voice be hearned. Even mister Levan, I want to challenge you. Call me and you tell me why as a black man, if you are still tuned in why it's important to get out involved. Because I can only state my piece, But what does it mean for a black man If we're coming down to the point they talking about, we are actually I reflective of the Jim Crow cast system, how it's now used as our justice system, because so many people are incarcerated based on the color of the skin. What needs to happen within what kind of change does that look like? Call me in the studio and let me know. Otherwise, let me tell you about a couple changes that's happening in our nation. Stores are continuing to close. I was just on KTLA and I saw that Walgreens is to close twelve hundred stores across America. Are you concerned? When we talk about taxation, we talk about inflation. These are the things that matter now, I say, well doing. I don't work at Walgreens. But what if you work at FedEx that ships to Walgreens. What if you are the pharmacists at Walgreens. What if you are a patient that receives their medication from Walgreens? What does that look like? Hey, Joe, call me in this studio. I don't know if we've ever talked, but let me tell you what's going on. So, Walgreens plans to close about twelve hundred locations over the next three years as the drug store chain seeks to turn around its struggling US business. The company said Tuesday that about five hundred store closures will come in the current fiscal year and should immediately support adjusted earnings and free cash flow. Walgreens didn't say whether the store closings would take place, didn't say where the closings would take place. Walgreens operates about eighty five hundred stores in the United States and a few thousand overseas. All of the stores that will be closed will be in the United States. Now, Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. Which are the leaders, said in late June that they were finalizing a turnaround plan for its US business and that push could result in the closing of hundreds of underperforming stores. Now, also, let's take in consideration. I don't know about you, I shop in a lot of CVS's. Have you noticed that there are items such as deodorant, laundry detergent that it's locked because people are looting the stores. And you talk to the employees there or the securities there, they say, I'm not about to risk my life for this. I don't get it paid enough for this. But what's happening is is that individuals are not being able to find jobs to support their likelihood. So they said they gotta grab it. But again, it's a ripple effect that affects each and every one of us. And if you thought walk Rings was the only one closing, I'm just right here reading that seven eleven is to close over four hundred locations in the US. Hundreds of underporn performing seven eleven stores across North America are closing or closing. The convenience a new store on Thursday today. Seven and I Holdings, seven eleven's Japan based parent company revealed in its earnings report that four hundred and forty four seven eleven locations are closing. Slowing sales, declining traffic, inflammationary pressures, and a decrease in cigarette purchasing are among the reasons why the stores are closing. In fact, the chain pointed out that cigarettes, once the largest sales category for convenience stores, have fallen twenty six percent since twenty nineteen, and shifting sales to other nicotine products hasn't been made such a difference. In fact, a specific list of sorts slated for closure wasn't released. Seven eleven has thirteen thousand locations across the US and Canada, so that meaning the closures would only impact three percent of the company's portfolio. Does that concern you? Are we here to talk about it now, miss Jackie? You up here writing books and the comments. Why don't you just call me up and say it? Live on it, Miss Jaggie says per voting. Some men are saying they will follow the money, following following the money, you need to follow the right and the wrong and how it's going to affect you and your children, your offspring, your mama, your daddy's education and employment. All right, we got to call her coming off Misbelie says it's you, Yes, it's me, okay, really quickly. I just want to make sure we stand on topic, because I'm not sure if you were able to catch up with us what we're broadcasting right now. We just got off the heels of talking about voting. Then I shared it with the listeners and viewers that we have stores closing. Seven eleven is closing over five hundred stores. We got over thirteen hundred stores of Walgreens. They're closing.
Speaker 5: Yes, I heard that yesterday.
Speaker 1: What you got to say about this?
Speaker 5: Oh ah? The birth thing that comes to mind is jobs. People not having jobs, and if things go automated in other areas, that's more jobs lost, and it's not good. It's not good for the economy. It's not good for those that don't go on to school and get a higher degree of education, knowledge and understanding to be prepared to work in the workfield that is available for folks, it's not good. And one thing that we're going to have to do for ourselves is do for ourselves and open up our own stores in our own communities in order to service one another. And so then you'll still need some training even to do that, because you might have some ideas of open up a store, but you need some understanding and knowledge of how to run a business, how to keep your books and how to keep records, and how to do those taxes. So for the most part, you know, we're gonna have to do what we need to do in order to survive while these stores are closing in our communities and open up stores as a group, as a collective, just join in together, come together and say, hey, look, we're going to open up open up a store like Walgreens in our community. It's it'll be a mom and pop or a community consolidation kind of thing. But those are my thoughts. Somebody else to do it for.
Speaker 1: Us, exactly. And it was a point before we had desegregation were we had to rely on one another. And it's amazing how when we look at the economy, how people of color, specifically African Americans, are the leading force and impact of what's driving this economy because we're so many consumers that we are the poorest, and we do not pour the money back in ourselves. And it's not that we aren't equipped. It doesn't mean that we don't have the numbers. Why is it that we simply aren't doing it? Do you think we don't trust each other? Why do we always feel like the grass is green on the other side? Have we forgotten to talk about talked with it and other what's going on?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's a lot, it's a lot to digest. It's a lot, and it's been digest over the and swallowed and bought back up again in many different ways. But we just gotta change our mindset. We got to get it together.
Speaker 1: Wake up, you know everybody know, most sleeping in bed. It's time to wait.
Speaker 5: God, we got we got to and and we can't find it in a cigarette and in a brown bottle?
Speaker 1: Oh snatch? Are you trying to go there? Huh? I think sometimes we're trying to use it as escaping or numbing. But I mean, if you think about it, we've been through so much. It's like just looking for a moment to exhale, to breathe.
Speaker 5: And I'm telling you that UH the first once that elevator in the African American Museum drops to the first floor, the beginning of time, when we were picked up from the differing from the west coast of Africa and brought to the many different countries of North America, South America, the Caribbean and made to do what we were made to do here in America. It's tearful, it's hurtful, it's gut Richie. And the one thing that just hurt me so was to see the number of children that were here, that came here on buses to tour that museum, how they just walked through and didn't look like they were digesting anything except for the music part of our culture. That that hurt me for to see them not digest the information from a great people like African Americans of this country. And what all we have done in the many ways, it's all in that one museum. The great now, how great we are, how we've been able to take something and nothing and make something out of it from the time we arrived and look at and look at what we have done in the field of of UH, of creation, creating better ways to do things, to entertainment, to sports, to engineering, to agriculture, science, mathematics, building, It's just it's so much to digest. It's just overwhelming. And I don't know and understand. There is no other museum that tells that kind of story about a people.
Speaker 1: But yet.
Speaker 5: We don't have nothing that celebrates us. There's no Chocolate city anywhere in America.
Speaker 1: DC is known as the Chocolate City. You taking that away? Well, I know, but.
Speaker 2: They don't really.
Speaker 5: You know, some people are still call folks still call it chocolate City. But I don't hear these young folks calling it chocolate city.
Speaker 1: You know, but there's no Africa town.
Speaker 5: There's a Vietnamese town, a Bangladesh town, there's no Africa town. We're trying to make le Park in Africa town, but you know, there's no sign that says you are in Africa town.
Speaker 1: That's true because we got little Ethiopia here in lam you got Korea Town where people living. But what about us? And you're right for you to talk about how magnificent the things that we've done, especially when we came here for nothing. It's amazing. How if we can only just happen too this power that we got. Yeah, because we get we get confused. It's like, do you know that we are the toughest of the toughest.
Speaker 5: Yes, we are.
Speaker 1: We broke them like it's in your lineage. So how could you not even believe in yourself and feel like you can't do nothing? Because there is a high probability that your ancestors survived thousands, maybe even millions of miles to make it here in the US with no food, with no water, and still came out to get make sure that you was produced. And we are rise. We will rise.
Speaker 5: We have risen in many fields. But they will not acknowledge us, they will not give us our due.
Speaker 1: Now, Miss Jackie just made a point. You said, well, how come we don't have our own Africa town or Africa city. Ms Jackie right here on Facebook says, maybe that's something to be brought up with the city council and with the city mayor. That's something worth fighting for. I mean definitely, I mean we do have to choose to be the change that we wish to seek, right, yes, And I think it also starts with conversations like you and I are having. Shoot, I was just thinking about it right now. I'm like, well, I be dog. I mean, we are at our humble beginnings. But I'm like, well, maybe vitamin D. We need to orchestrate a trip to go over to DC and to see this museum to mind, because you know, you're talking about these young people. You don't feel like they digested it. Is it fair to say that the disconnect is there? This form of racism that we are experiencing right now is completely different than that of our ancestors or perhaps your grandparents it was probably they're great great great great grandparents. But the thing is is that it's almost like they say, a wolf in sheep's clothing. It's presented in a different way. It comes in a different form where I feel like our children and our young people aren't able to really digest. Hello.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, I'm listening to you, and I'm also searching through some of the pictures as a reminder of some of the things that I saw yesterday. Ah oh, we can't depend on our schools to teach our young people our history.
Speaker 1: Of course, Well you better not be a s I see you in Florida because they're taking it all out the books again while we need to get up and vote exactly. Hello, I think we just lost Miss Felicia. Now Miss Jackie, don't play with me. Miss Jackie out here writing books and stuff. Yes, I'm calling you out, Miss Jackie. She's writing books and stuff. I'm calling her because don't be writing no books on the social media's and not just call in this. We call them miss Jackie. She don't even know. Don't play when me play with yourself? I mean, so, what's up? What's up? Miss Jackie? Hi?
Speaker 5: Hone?
Speaker 2: How are you? Everyone? So?
Speaker 1: Go ahead? What all this you typing? Go ahead? And Tallas what you're talking about? Ma'am?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you called. I was gonna call you. I'm driving home. What I was saying is, you know I don't live there. I am from California, originally born and raised, went to the school in the valley. I was one of them children that they rode to Big Yellow, this, that and the other. And what people are not paying attention to is that, you know, we want to make a lot of different changes. There's a reparation, there's all kinds of different opportunities out there, but it's gonna have to take a collective effort for everybody to get involved. Because one person is not gonna make no change. And Rome damn patrol was not built in a day.
Speaker 1: But what that change is gonna look like and what is it going to require?
Speaker 2: It is gonna requires police being pulled up, hard work, research. Because when you go for people, go for four people you got.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, go ahead, you said. When you go for people, whatn't Now when you.
Speaker 2: Go before individuals, city council that and now you have to know what you're talking about, because first of all, you got to make sure they listen to you. Go to some of them meetings and those meetings allow you two to four minutes to speak. And if you get a collective amount of people, they'll bring things before the city again that following week and it can be an ongoing thing. It may take time. Believe park could be changed into a lot of different things. You know, it's gonna take time. It's gonna take money, and of course they're gonna say they don't have it, But then they got these things called grants and people invest in these businesses. Silent partners just set the other, you know, to improve what's going on, to decrease the bad that's going on.
Speaker 1: So it's gonna take us starting with ourselves and have this conversation and to be honest, and like you said, it is not gonna stop. It doesn't stop overnight. The change is not gonna happen overnight. But that's just like any seed that.
Speaker 2: You planned, right, you gotta planet make sure you nurture it.
Speaker 1: Also, I had with it. Go ahead, mister Levaughn. He was on and he was like, well, Dawn, can you go ahead and spread a word as to why black men need to get out and vote for VP Kamala Harris? Could you piggyback on that on why it's so important to vote.
Speaker 2: It's important to vote because this is gonna affect everybody. I don't care if you don't vote. It's gonna affect you, your mama, your daddy, your sister, your brother, your pet in the backyard, that bird that's flying over in your house, and the insects and pets that are running around in your home that are unwanted. Go expect your dollar bill. It's gonna affect how you you know, how you live, eat and breathe.
Speaker 5: Hm.
Speaker 1: And what would you say to somebody that says, well, my one boy, that vote ain't gonna change. Why are you trying to pressure me to vote.
Speaker 2: Well, one your vote, one vote won't may not you may feel not feel a ZOUGHI walk change anything. But all of them are affected collectively. That's why they have TAMPA. They have to tabulate the votes. That's why we have the early voting. That's why the opportunity is given as a woman speaking woman, a woman without a woman, there would be nothing. Period. We say Christ was here and mayor and his mama didn't give birth that or that that okay, Science and loans says a woman go bear bear a child. Man ain't bearing nothing without us. Nothing exists, start from the beginning.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for Sharon. And then I saw you put another comment. You may mention. You said why these young kids aren't paying attention at the museum, And you said, a lot of things that are going on in the home. A lot of our children are not being taught because the parents are not taking the time out. More of their time is being spent in front of the PC, a laptop, a tablet, a cell phone, or a gaming system, etc. But not the textbooks. Well, look at our economy and what's going on right now. I can't afford to be in the house, because how we're gonna pay these.
Speaker 2: Bills right right? Gotta be working down, so.
Speaker 1: Work What are we supposed to do.
Speaker 2: Well? I believe that you know, with skill training, there's a lot of free training out here that the state is giving out. The state's a city, a county that you may qualify for whatever reason. If you're a blue collar worker or you low income, you know, get get some of the skilling together. You get skills. People don't teach you what they want you to learn anyway, but get skilled so you can revamp and learn something else. So you can learn how to do something else. Become your own soul provider, how you make the living, how you feed yourself, learn a new skill, be open minded. For those that are disabled, there's things for them as well. Get a support advocate. There's so many there's a resource out there, but they don't care you how to obtain it. Some people don't have common sense, common senses far a lot of people are missing that.
Speaker 1: Then a skilled sense you talk on right, because you just gotta know how to think and how to move.
Speaker 2: You gotta think. You gotta think for tomorrow. You can't think for a minute because a minute already bathed. I just talked about it five to day.
Speaker 1: Hello, Well, thank you for that. I appreciate your comments.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, don't be afraid. Save this number and call me at this number when we live.
Speaker 2: Alrighty y Will Dollard.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you everybody in LA and everybody that's online.
Speaker 2: I want you all to share this link. Share the link. This woman has got information out here that we all need. It takes more than us, takes more than her and I and five brothers on the line to get the message across the any and everybody that wants to know you got it. If you want to change, make some change, you gotta be about to change. You gotta partake in the change. Catch you be silent if you say, if you see something, say something. I all And at the end of the day, everybody gets your ass out there and damn vote shit, vote for something, but you need to vote for the right thing. Okay, child's affected, your dog is affected. Jimal and your daddy, your sister, your brother, your social security, your check, your car, you driving that car?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: Oh wait, don't get me started anyway, You'll have a good.
Speaker 1: Day, love yourself. That was missus. Jacqueline. There were no lines being told here listening. Walk up, roll up, pull up, get up, speak up for yourself because if you don't stand for nothing, you're gonna fall for anything. Right, It's so interesting we talk about we want this change, people say, don we need some vitamin D. But when it's time to pull up for the change, to show up for the change, sometimes it's nothing but crickets. Then you look left or right and you're wondering, well, who's the blame. Well, sometimes you got to look in the mirror because you got to be the change that you wish to seek. And if we don't come together as a community to share our resources to provide the information, well heck, we can go fast a long, but we know that we can go further together. And as I report it, there's so many stores and businesses that are closing down. What does that mean for us? Like Miss Felicia said, why are we relying on other communities to support us when we've been at the situation we've been put at the bottom of this whole social economic society. I don't even know if that if I said that right, but pushed us down so low. But we've only had to push up to even get to where we are right now. And when you think about it, we are truly magical beings because who else can withstand all of this and still be up line at the forefront. It's gonna take some change, it's gonna take for people to speak up. So I just want to remind y'all call me in the studio eight one, eight four six one fifty four thirty two. I do have an advice letter that I want to get to, and I guess I could get to that now, and because I want to talk about breast cancer awareness. I had a guest on Thursday, But first let me jump into this Vitamin D advice letter subject should I move back in with my mom?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: As a preface, we've been talking about this, uh the store's closing. We talked about we in a financial situation. I don't know what your deal is, but pull up subject should I move back in with my mom? Dear down. I'm struggling. I'm twenty three and single and I got a good job, but the city I'm in is really expensive. After I pay off everything, I only have like eight hundred dollars left for the whole month. I want to go out and do a lot of stuff and go on vacations. But I don't want to get into insane credit card debt like most of my friends have done already. My mom says that I can come back home, which isn't far from from my job, and I can help her out too, because she needs the financial help from me as well. Dawn. I'd actually be saving about twenty five hundred dollars a month if I moved back to help her, and that's after me giving my mom a thousand bucks a month. Me and my mom have a great relationship, Don, and we're super close too, and I want her and I want to help her out and spend more time with her. But part of me feels like if I move back home, I'm somewhat failed in the real world and couldn't make it out there on my own. Don, What's wrong with me? Why am I thinking like this? Signed Pat Kingsley in San Diego, California. Well, Pat, hold up, wait a minute. If you've got eight hundred dollars after you pay all your bills, I must say you probably are a head of most There's so many people out here living paycheck to paycheck. Inflation is real. The lack of jobs out here is real paying jobs where people can afford to live their life. Now we are in one of the most expensive states in the US, California. Now here's what I want to say, Pat, if you are debating whether or not you should go home, I want to say that you are very fortunate that you have a loving and supporting family member that you can go to when you need help and love. There's a lot of people who don't even have that. Like I just think about myself, and you know, this is really personal for me. I went ahead and I left home after college or even after high school to go to college in Washington, d C. And from there I went straight up to New York. And at that point, that's when my mom transitioned. So that wasn't a moment where I felt like I had a home to go back to. Yes, the rest of my family there, but if you are someone who has lost a parent or parent figure, that's a different kind of home. Since so the whole idea of going back and having that reliance or that reassurance, that's not a choice for me. And I'm feel as though it probably worked in my favor because that's why I have been so gun holed to go about my dreams and to live my dreams wide away. But you, Pat, you have an opportunity to up level the quality of your life. Sometimes we can let our ego get in the way of being in a situation. But it's not that you're not capable. It's saying, hey, let's be honest, I don't know how old your mother is, but time isn't stopping. And if you know that you have the ability to go home right now and still live your life, perhaps it's something to consider. We know that stress is the number one killer. There are so many people stressed out right now, trying to figure out how to pay their bills, trying to figure how they going to do the next thing because they simply don't have the money, and guess what, then they get sick. Then it's like, well what do you do? So Pat, my choice on this ends is say go ahead and move in with your mom, but don't get out there and get too buck wold and going on all these trips and drinking, because let's face it, twenty three is a party in age and not realizing the responsibilities that you have at home and the things that you need to do. Okay, but remember we're here for a good time, not a long time, so make it count. Go ahead, I say, go ahead, and move back in your mouth. It's not like you don't have a job. Shoo. If you were able to afford twenty five one hundred dollars a month on your rent and you still got over access and amount waiting for you after you pay your mom one thousand dollars, go ahead and take advantage of that. I think you would be a fool if you didn't, not if you said you ain't handle job, and you at home sitting on the couch, and I'm like, wait a minute, baby girl, but you do so use your olive branch wisely. You know, in some communities the child is unable to move off the phone home or not allowed or it's not condoned, rather until they are married with children, until they have a good supportive But I don't know what it is. I don't know if it's our community, and check me if I'm wrong. But oftentimes it's like, well you eighten and grown, it's time for you to get out the house. Sometimes I feel like maybe perhaps in the African American community, we can do more with our foundation about supporting making sure we have things in place, having these conversations on how to invest your money, why life insurance is important. He we know last month, September was Life Insurance Awareness Month. We have several of yours subscribers, followers of Vitamin D who work in the tax or life insurance industry that can show us how to appropriately use our fund. So while we're gonna stop here for why, and since we talked about how last month was life Insurance Awareness Month, well we know that this month is Breast cancer Awareness Month. Now. I don't know if you had a chance to tune into the last episode, and if not, you can listen to it on all platforms when you listen to your favorite podcast. But it was all about breast cancer awareness. I had Jan Austin as well as Chandra Fitzpatrick on to talk about Miss Chandra being a three time cancer survivor and Miss Jan she walks over at UCLA, she works over at UCLA, and she talks about how she is a valuable resource for information and all the things that we can see that's going on in our lives. These are the people you need to reach out with. Well, here's the thing that I thought was interesting. They called me after the conversation. They were like, Dawn, you did not mention the whole idea. What happened with Ananda Luis? Now you remember a former MTV VJ Ananda Luis right, Well, she came about just a couple days ago and revealed that her breast cancer has metastasized after she decided to keep her tumor. Ananda, she's fifty one. She announced back in twenty twenty that she was diagnosed with stage three breast cancer, noting that she had declined to get a mammograms for years due to the fear of radiation and exposure. Now do a recent roundtable discussion on cancer with CNN, Ananda revealed that she went against her doctor's recommendation to have a double misectomy following her diagnosis. She says, and I quote my plan at first was to get out excessive toxins in my body. I felt like my body's intelligent. I know that to be true. Our bodies are brilliantly made. She continues on, I decided to keep my tumor and try to work it out of my body in a different way. Looking back on that, I go you know what maybe I should have. What do you think about that? You know, there are some people who don't like going to the doctor. Feeling is though if I disclose some information, you gonna find something that's wrong with me. There are some people who figure if I don't know, it won't hurt me. And then you have others which I probably go into this bucket, who are here for herbs, vitamins for healing. But at what point do you trust your doctor's orders now, believe it or not. I actually had a non to on vitamin D. This is vitamin D oh a few stages ago. How about that a few seasons ago where we were not in the studio and she talked about the importance of getting mammograms. Take a listen.
Speaker 4: We need to do rammograms even though there is this small amount of exposure to radiation, because the risk out or the reward outweighs the risk.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: The risk of that little bit of radiation is nothing compared to the reward of finding out what's going on in your body so that you can be proactive, maintain more control, and not find out about something when it's further down the line. Now, I'm lucky in the sense that I didn't wait until it was a stage four, right, because that's a harder process to deal with in the body. A stage three isn't great, so it's in my limbs, and that does make it more difficult. There are more things you have to do. There's a deeper dig and I wish I had found it earlier. I would have if I've been doing mammograms. And that's the part I needed women to understand. Yeah, there's a risk, but there's a way bigger reward.
Speaker 1: The greater the risk, the greater the reward. Lord, you've heard me say this quote countless of times. You know that I personally have been affected by breast cancer. My mother transitioned from stage four breast cancer. So I myself had started my mammograms when I was still in my twenties, just because of how rampant it goes in my family. The question is are you looking after your health? Have you decided to show up for yourself? I think sometimes we believe that if we don't know, it won't hurt us. But just like Ananda stated, sometimes this whole thing that we operate in fear of not wanting to do something or because we don't know how to do something well, we stay stagnant. And in this situation, she says, well, there was a fear about being exposed to the radiation that it will cause cancer. And she said, perhaps I would have caught it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: That was Ananda back in twenty twenty one talking about her stage three diagnoses. Here we are fast forward three years later and now she's at stage four. I don't know if you or somebody you love has been affected by breast cancer, but if we don't know about our health and taking better care of ourselves, we won't be here to enjoy our families, to enjoy our loved ones, to really live our life in abundance, exceedingly and beyond, because if you don't check yourself, you may end up wrecking yourself. And I guess it was just kind of hard for me to even pull up that clip and to listen to it because at that time she was stage three and I didn't see her current clip of her discussing her stage for breast cancer. But I do remember how optimistic she was about how it could dissolve or to go away. And don't get it twisted. Prayer changes things. Prayer changes things, indeed, But guess what faith without works is dead. Perhaps there is a way, or how about the consideration that God places doctors and medical professions here for us, for us to take advantage of those services of these people, these skilled professionals, to support us in healing. I feel as though sometimes as people we get so caught up on the left and right, the white and the black, the yin and the yang, and not realizing how they're one and the same. What are these things work together so that we can be a better people, a better society, a better community. Miss Jackie just commented on she put colon cancer. I presume that somebody in her family or she has been affected by somebody close with colon cancer. I don't know what your thing is, but you got to check up on yourself, which reminds me. I've told you guys that I may mention of this before, but Black Men's Wellness Day, right, you heard me talk about this over and over again. Because we are on this topic. I just want to remind you that on November second, Black Men's Wellness Day will be taking place in Los Angeles, California, and it's a walk to save black men's lives. They will have free health screenings with professionals with your interest at her I'm talking about people with color. I'm telling you the information you need is right at this event. We're talking about std we're talking about blood pasture, we're talking about cholesterol. We're talking about simply knowing your numbers because when you know better, you can do better. So therefore you can be better. And since we're talking about the African American Male Wellness Agency, i'd let you know right now what's happening at Crenshaw mal If you know somebody that's over here in the area that's a black man that needs to talk, well, will man, real talk is taking place right now at the Museum of African American Art. It's located in Suite two eighty three, that's the second floor. Go see Jade and tell them that Dawnlight the break of day told you about the organization and told you about the event. It doesn't end to eight o'clock, so you still have time. I opted not to be available to take kind there because I had to make sure that I was here with you, me and you to talk about the things that we go through. So if you know a young man, a young person that could benefit or older men that has been going through some things, because black men are known to be suffering what twenty to thirty percent higher of some type of emotional distress in their counterparts. Simply because we aren't talking, simply because we aren't talking about the pressures that are going on in society. Well, this is a safe haven. This is a circle. I've been talking about this for a while, how we need to get together and have these conversations that are going on in our community. So whether it's our mental health or our physical health, check up on your wellness and as h Miss Jaggie said, you get your breast check this month, please do it. All you gotta do is call and make the black doctor apponement. And I understand if you are scared, you being scared is not gonna change the results you and being scared is not gonna make it dissolve you being scared, it's gonna keep you stuck in the same place. Each one reach one, each one teach one, and it starts with ourselves. So I want to open up the phone lines so we can get this conversation going. Otherwise we might can cut it short so that we can continue to talk about the things that are the heart of the matter, things that are important to us. So if you are tuning in right now, I want to encourage you to call me. Call me in the studio eight one, eight four six, one fifty four to thirty two eight one, eight four six one fifty four thirty two because I'd love to hear from you. If there's anything that's going on in your mind, if you got a praise report about some great things that are going on in the community, pull up on me, okay. I want to hear from you and owns another great thing that's going on this Saturday? Is there anybody going on today's the Soul Well I will be there along with the African American Male Wellness Agency. Yes, the organization I just discussed about about the Real Men Real Talk and the Black Men's Wellness Day. Well, we're going to be out there spreading a word about what's going on in our community. So I have to see somebody up there, and if so, pull up on me. Make sure you say hi, make sure you say hello, so that I can meet you and that we can talk. I know several individuals have came up and said, Hey, Dawln, I want to meet with you and I. Sometimes I don't have time just on location and times that are available to meet with everyone end Sometimes it's better just to be in a comfortable with some environment. Now, there are some listeners and viewers that I had met up with. In fact, I was just talking about last Tuesday, Miss Jackie was in town, so we had grabbed coffee earlier in the day. But this is a great space, a great place for us to pull up and meet. So that's what I'm gonna be on Saturday, okay. And also I would love if you can get the opportunity to make sure that you share this podcast with somebody. I am working on diligently coming in every Tuesdays and Thursdays to give you some resources, some information to keep you excited about your life. But we gotta spread the word so we can keep this good thing going. Because when I'm here, I'm mess necessarily making the money that's gonna put the dollar dollar bills y'all in my pocket. But I'm hoping I'm sowing seeds right now because the vision is to keep building with this and make this of a network of my own. But I need to hear from you. I need to hear from you. It's not gonna just be enough to say, oh, Dawn, I was there. I'll listen to the playback. I need to hear you live and full effect, to know that my words are not falling on deaf ears. I want Vitamin D to be the hub where we're shedding light on resources and information. Okay, so I want to leave this open. If nobody's calling in, well honey, it's time to get out the door. Now is miss Latasha. Here is Miss Tatasha. Now, thank you, Miss Jacquelin. I really appreciate you. Thank you. Yes, as Miss Jaqueline said, we're talking about sponsor shit, this is what listen, ask, you shall receive, seeking you shall find. And let me just say another thing when Miss Jaqueline, it really meant a lot that we did meet up. She reminds me, because I know, like sometimes you just feel like you don't know what's happening, you don't know which direction you're going. She was like, dn you did what you said that you were gonna do. She said, Dawn, you said that you were going to get back in the studio. You said that you were going to get up the phone calls. Yes, I did you know? I don't have life tattered in my mouth for nothing. As we know, life and death are in the power of the tongue. So we have to choose to speak life over ourselves, through us and for us, and more importantly by us our brothers and sisters that we are sitting in left and right. We gotta choose to speak life so that we can create the life that we want. And I said, well, well, let me be a shining example by no means of my saying that I'm perfect, but I'm a firm believer of speaking and creating the life that you want. And I'm just happy to say, you know what, I need to go back into archives and pull up the clip, cause that would be an awesome moment. I said, Okay, this is the vision to get back in the studio and then come back present of myself in the studio. Right, Yeah, that's that's that's the way I want to do it. I don't know if anybody wants to call in with any stories or any information. Are there any resources that we need to go ahead and move along to share with the community. Well, now's your time to pull up on me so we can get this good word out. Call me in the studio eight one, eight four six one fifty four to thirty two. Again that's eight one, eight four six one fifty four thirty two. I'd love to hear from you right here, right now, okay, And if not, I guess we gotta be out of here. I want to thank you each and every one of you so much for pulling up on me, showing me some love, those who called in, and of course those who commented. And I just want to say as a reminder to get out there involved shooting about what sixteen days from today, in just a couple of weeks, we will have the verdict of who our next president is. Are you gonna be about of that change? Are you gonna walk up, drive up, speak up for the change that you wish to see? Listen, you ain't got to tell me, and you ain't got to prove it to me, show me, say it loud and praus, do it with your chest, put some chests in it, put some funk on it. That's what we need to do. Okay. Well, all right, well listen. Subscribe to the podcast. It's available wherever you get your favorite podcast. You know that we're all on all social media at Vitamin D Dawn Day and oh for good. If you have an Vitamin D advice letter, if you need advice on your relationships, on your career, on anything dealing with your life, I want to encourage you to send me an email Vitamin D at Dawn Dai speaks dot com. That's Vitamin D at Dawn Dai speaks dot com. Also, if you would like your own dope of vitamin D, that be me baby. I want to encourage you to follow me on all social media at Dawn Dai Speach. And what do I say?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I always say I'm in the business and making dreams come true and I damn shall we got forget about mine? So until next time that'll be on Tuesday. Almost forgot. I got a special guest a tutoring program Duran. They passed a baton. He's coming. Okay, until next time. I foundly always remember you are your greatest gats act, get
Speaker 3: Your vit in D right with me, and get excited about your life