Speaker 1: I miss the green.
Speaker 2: For example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 3: And when I find my ball.
Speaker 1: In a brid egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Friday Frida Bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run.
Speaker 3: Off of the course. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to another edition of the FRIDAYGG Podcast. Today, Kyle, Nathan and I are joined by Michael Weaver, former All American at cal U s M runner up Walker Cupper and currently playing on the web dot Com Tour. Michael, welcome on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, thanks for having me. Guys, got to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Michael, thanks for being here. I guess we'll get started right away. I read some interesting stuff about you, and one of my favorite tidbits was that you were an elite level go kart racer. Yeah, so tell me about that, and then what made you get into golf?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, my dad's always been into racing and I started down on six. My my dad was probably a little bit crazy. Uh, one day just started driving go karts. We had some friends that did that, and I really liked it. Kind of was okay, I had to start and then you couldn't race. Excuse me, couldn't start racing until you're eight. So for like two years I just practiced basically and got kind of good at it, and then raced kind of all over California, and yeah, I was. I was really into it. It was. It was a lot of fun. I mean, you can imagine. It was racing go karts that probably went about like fifty five or sixty and it's a bunch of like second third kids. Yeah, so it was. It was pretty serious. I think some of my parents' friends probably thought my dad was out of his mind, and but no, I was really competitive. But that I did that until I was about twelve. I started playing golf when I was tense. I had a little bit of overlap. I was racing and playing golf, and eventually kind of my dad pointed out to me that I hadn't raced at one point in like six months or a year I think it was, and that I kind of needed to pick one or the other because if we were going to keep racing, I needed to be committed to that, and if not, like that stuff was he wanted to get rid of the racing stuff, and if I wasn't going to do it, because it seemed at that point I was pretty pretty set on playing golf. I started starting I was ten, just played for like a year, then started playing tournaments, and think when I was eleven and summer, summertime became, you know, three tournaments a week, like a one day or here, a two day or there, all throughout northern California. So racing kind of took a back seat, and I stopped doing that, yeah, when I was twelve, and since then just been playing golf. But I'm still still pretty interested in racing in general, like the Formula one. My dad still races as like a hobby, as an open wheale race car. I've driven a few times. It's it's a blast. It's way more fun than golf. I'm not gonna idea.
Speaker 2: He's from racing or golf.
Speaker 1: I was pretty lucky. Never racing go cars is pretty common they'd flip, and I never that never happened to me, so I'd never got hurt doing that, fortunately, And I've kind of had pretty good luck with golf too. I've never knock on wood, never, never really had a serious injury. I honestly can't remember a time where I've missed playing golf for more than really at all. There's been maybe something here there that's kind of bothered me, But I don't think I could directly attribute that to playing golf or working out related to golf. So I've been been pretty fortunate to been playing for I guess sixteen years now. You hear about guys periodically, you know, their backs, bothering them, risked whatever. I have been pretty fortunate. I have to deal with that.
Speaker 3: So what are worse racing parents or golf parents?
Speaker 1: Oh Man, Probably racing parents because they have a bit of a temper. Golf parents are just crazy, you know they might they might kind of like snap at their kid. But like racing, he se some pretty like redneck stuff, like people literally lost their mind. It was. It was pretty embarrassing for the kids. I'm sure you know it was like the little It was equivalent to like the Little League, dad. But I don't think you see that as much in golf, just because it's more you know, you're competing against everyone else, but less so than in racing, I guess. And you can kind of directly attribute your bad play to yourself and golf wers. If someone makes a bonehead move. Racing, you could point the finger at them, you know, with some certainty, so you'd see it occasionally. You know, people get pretty pissed, but not you don't see that in golf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet you could be like a you could drive like a jackass and like block people out and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So in terms of growing up, you grew up in Fresno and there's like a stable of talented golfers that have come from there, like Watney and Yea, Chapel, Bryson, you you know, what is it about Fresno.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's kind of funny. I was talking with this, talking about this with someone recently. You know, you have the guys you mentioned, plus Derek Ernst as well. You know, Derek's a year older than me. Bryson is three years younger than me. So I played played quite a bit with Derek growing up, played a little bit with Bryson, but we're at a big enough age gap to like high school golf, we're all in the same league and we would. I'd play with Bryson pretty regularly, but I was was kind of a big age difference then. I wasn't real close with them, but no, we've I don't know what to attribute that to. It's kind of strange because Kevin Chappel and I grew up playing the same golf course. Bryson and Derek grew up playing the same a different course, but the same one as each other. Obviously, Watney has had a good career. I don't I don't know if it's just like a fluky thing. That's kind of When I was talking to a friend about this, I said, it just seems like a like a fluke deal. Like my high school team, even we had four or five guys played Division one golf as well at you know various you know, myself and one other guy both went to cal Pace Johnson, and then a couple other guys played like Cal Pauly Soccramento State. I guess that'd be it, But no, it's just kind of one of maybe one of those things. It's more coincidence than anything. I can't say, Oh, it's because we have all these great courses or facilities or whatever we can play with golf year around. But that's true for anywhere in California.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember at Paul Golido Sound and he grew up playing this Muni and Long Beach that like Patrick Cantley and a bunch of other tour pros of all grown up playing, which is is kind of crazy how like sometimes they all everybody comes from like one course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see that. Where like with our team at Cal, like when you have a bunch of good players all together, everyone's very competitive. I know growing up, all of us were pretty competitive against each other, So maybe that has something to do with it. I could when you're it's better, it's better to be surrounded by people kind of you know, similar ability there. You know, all of us are trying to get to say college golf at that point, and pushed each other and we all wanted to be each other. So I'm sure that that counts for something. But you know, beyond that, you know, and professional golf to have, I guess it'd be five or six guys. You know, Watney's from Sacramento but went to President State and then myself, Bryce and Derek and Kevin, all four of us either you know right or kind on the web. The two others on the PGA tourrets. Yeah, it just kind of got an anomaly more than anything.
Speaker 2: Probably, So you mentioned your team at CAL, which was loaded. I mean, you guys had hey, he Michael Kim, Max Homo yourself. What do you think you guys did at CAL to prepare your guy, prepare yourself so well to play professionally.
Speaker 1: I think kind of what I was talking about, the competition we were. We were all very competitive. None of us like to lose to one another. We would I mean we had this we had this this practice facility at CAL. Uh got a course called Metropolitan Golf Links and uh like Oakland, San leandera right next to the Oakland Airport, and we had this huge shorting facility there. And there would be days where like nobody really wanted to go practice, but like Michael Kim and I for example, would say play for you know, trying to beat each other. And that was that was that happened literally every day. Get It's like we'd go hit balls for like an hour and then have a two or three hour up and down contest. There are several contests within a two or three hour period. I think that's just kind of that element where we were everyone wanted to beat each other, we all hated to lose to each other, and that that I think that was worth a lot because I know, say, like my recruiting class was myself, Max and Brandon, and I think that I for each of us, Cal wasn't necessarily our first choice going into the recruiting process. You know, you have all these schools you're looking at, Like it wasn't like it was Cal or then the other things everything else to be settling, like we I know, I was interested in saying the UCLA, Stanford like all the big schools in California, And I know Haye was kind of the same way with I think USC and Max's kind of the same boat as us. There's both of us as well, Like Cal was on the list, but it wasn't like with all those other programs at that time were higher ranked than us. So it was kind of common. You know, we all heard it, Max, Brandon and I that from other coaches in the Pac twelve, like they kind of overlooked our class. And then that was kind of a common thing with even with like Michael Kim as well. It was all these guys who might have been a little bit overlooked, Say Michael Kim was overlood because he hit it short thin. Max brand and I had not really like hit our stride yet I guess you could say we had good junior careers but not great, and then you know they certainly weren't up to par with our collegiate careers. So I think it was just, you know, we had a great group of guys. We all got along really well, and we were all really competitive, and everyone was willing to work really hard. I mean we never had to. There was never anybody on the team that, like you kind of had to light a fire under him, Like everybody knew where they wanted to be and believe that, you know, we were working, we were doing all the right things to you know, be a top ten or top five team or the number one team in the country.
Speaker 2: That's awesome and interesting, guys, I'll had kind of a chip on your shoulder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be a good way to play it. Yeah, yeah, that's awesome something to prove.
Speaker 3: What what would you say in terms of making the transition from college to pro golf, did you like overlook that was like that spent that like maybe is tougher than you would think, Like as an outsider.
Speaker 1: You know, this is something I took for granted in college that I've just kind of started to realize in the last six months or so, is everybody say, like, you play a lot more in professional golf in college golf and ice think, well, in college, I played thirteen or fourteen tournaments in a school year, and then six to eight tournaments during the summer, so playing you know, twenty two, you know, say, twenty two events a year. And then my buddy, one of my friend of mine from cal who's a few years older, said well, I played twenty five or twenty six professional events a year, and I kind of looked at that, like, that's only like a couple more, that's not that big of a difference. But what you what I kind of overlooked was in college, your events are four days at most, and you have a travel day, practice around day thirty six, and then eighteen whole day, and then you go home that night. Whereas professional event it's uh, you know, you say, you fly on Sunday or Monday, you play practice on Monday. Tuesday, you're either in the program or you're practicing on Wednesday, and then you play four rounds and you do that's like last year, I played thirty tournaments and that's thirty weeks essentially, it's not you know, it's not thirty half college tournaments, half amateur events where it's they're shorter. So that was something that I think that's something that's overlooked is people look at oh, it's you play pro golf, like you get to go and go to all these cool places. Which that's true. Sometimes I think if you took an honest look at like the web dot Com schedule, you wouldn't say like, I'm dying to go to Wichita, Kansas and Omaha and Springfield and is or I mean I've played. Yeah, it's like courses are good, the tournaments are well run. But that's like people think that professional golf you're going to all these cool destinations, you get to do cool stuff. Well, like the reality is like I'm I'm going to try to make time to go to the Panama Canal this week because I've never been. But most weeks like I'm not doing anything touristy. Maybe I'm just lazy about that or not. It's not that important to me, I guess, but most weeks like there's just not there's just not a whole lot of time because you got to play your practice rounds and then your practice and your workout and whatever else you have to do to get ready to go on Thursday. I think that's something that's so easily overlooked is the tournament. It's four days, but you know, being ready to play tournam involves a week, and you have to at the level that if you're not, if you haven't won on the PGA Tour. I guess the way I look at it is you need to play pretty much every chance you get because you can't really you can't really like be complacent because it's so easy to if you're like a rookie on tour, so it's not easy, it's so difficult to get into events. You're kind of forced in your rookie year to play the events you get into, rather than you know, picking your schedule, which you kind of have to take advantage of that then saying your second or third year, once you move up in the world ranking or if you win a tournament, then you're then you can have that luxury. But I think that's something that is probably the most overlooked, even for guys who played golf necessarily in college. That says I'm saying, oh, I don't want to play more than two events in a row in a row, and for an amateur schedule, it's like during the summer, it's like you guys need to kind of get used to playing four or five in a row because you might have no status. Monday into a Web event and top twenty five a few of them, and then all of a sudden, like I had to stretch this summer. I was planning on playing a couple of weeks on, a couple of weeks off to that, and then like six six tournaments over like a nine week stretch, and the week said off, I'm did into a Web event and combined them into nine straight weeks, and that you know, after nine weeks, I was sick of playing golf. But that's kind of the nature of it. You know, you you get you have to you kind of have to go and you're hot and keep going.
Speaker 2: And that's speaking of playing a lot of golf in a small amount of time. Obviously, you had a great run at the USAM at Cherry Hills. Talk to us a little bit about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that was that was kind of a surprise. More than anything I knew I had been playing. I knew like my game was going in the right direction. I was improving, you know, I was working hard, but I was kind of having a bad summer before that. I had remember I played really poorly at the Western at north Shore, I believe like two weeks before, and I was pissed at how I played, and I was like, I went home and practiced a lot. It's like I hadn't really done anything to redeeming that summer, I felt like. So I feared out hopefully and I'd qualify for the AM. That was really the only highlight, I guess, and I think that was. That was my second us M. I played at Aaron Hills the year before. I missed the Cup by one there, missed the playoff I won, so I kind of like fired up to go to the AM. I didn't know anything about Cherry Ells in particular, rather than it was at altitude in Denver. I mean I knew about, you know, the like Arnold Palmer playing there and that I'm not like not a huge like golf like history junkie. So that was that was about it. And yeah, I uh so I played common played Cherry Hills first, then played common Ground and I made like a double or a triple on my tenth hole at common Ground. I remember, and it was kind of I knew that I was probably outside of the cut line. And I want to say Birdie, like three of my last seven or eight got into the playoff, which was seventeen for fourteen bogie the first playoff. All went on the next one and then part of that and Birdie the twelfth hole at Cherry El's like a part three over water. It's about two hundred or so to ten. Yeah. Then I had quite the draw and matchplay. I felt like I played a lot of guys who are doing really well right now, so I was now looking back, it's kind of a cool, kind of a cool thing to think about. I played Zach Blair in the first round. I think I won two and one. Played Albin No no No, played Patrick Rodgers in the second round, beat him and two up. I played Alvin Troy in the third round, and I never led that. I was trailing all day one to eighteen to get to a playoff, and then got up and down in a bunker. I was from a bunker on one for Berdie to win, so I was kind of dirty. I felt like I stole that one and then quarters I played Ricardo Govea plays on European Tour now semis. I played Justin Thomas and then lost to Stephen Box on the thirty seventh hole. But all in all, in that it was like a it was a sick week. I mean, I had my dad caddy for me. We had a blast. It was obviously a really cool experience for my dad and I have shared together. He he'd carry from me periodically and just for me. And knowing that I was in the Masters in the US Open the following year was a pretty incredible feeling.
Speaker 2: What was it like to play in the Masters in the US Open?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the Masters, I was really nervous, really excited. Obviously. It was it was, you know, everything I expected and more. I mean, the course was, you know, incredible. I went made two separate trips out to Augusta prior to the week of the tournament. I went in January once and then I went in March. Yeah, so it was it was like kind of everything I had expected and more. I mean it was just I got to play ten rounds or so prior to the tournament week. One of those. Ricky Fowler was there one day, so I got to play eighteen holes with them, which that was actually pretty helpful because I kind of got the like the wow factor or whatever you want to call it, like shock and awe of playing with a big name player out of the way before the practice rounds or the tournament started. So uh. And then yeah, I played some played practice on some pretty good guys. Played with Wattney and Luke Donald one day, put up Duffner. Another day I played with Fuzzy Zeller for ninals, which was a hilarious. And then I played the Part three contests with him as well and Hubert Green, which was pretty cool. We got put like I'll put on the clock. We got told to stop signing stuff because we well fell about two holes behind because Fuzzy did as a single person. And then I played with McElroy that day as well for nine holes and Robert Garagus. So no, I was, it was it was incredible. Then the US Open that was pretty cool. I was, it doesn't quite compare to the Masters, I don't think. I think part of that just because it's so difficult to get into the Masters. Where was the US Open? You can qualify for it every year. It's obviously difficult, but it's much more attainable and uh that was that was pretty cool experience there. Though I made the cut there, I didn't play great on Saturday, but I had my dad caddy for me there as well, so that was also like another really cool experience like finishing on Father's Day. Have my dad caddy for me was definitely a something pretty cool that we could share together. So no, I was Fortunately we got to play mary Into, which was I thought a really cool course and it was interesting playing the practice rounds there. Guys are saying or sorry, TV was saying, this course will be easy, it's short, whatever. I remember playing with Bill Haas and Nick Watney and I was worried because I didn't think the course was that easy. I asked Bill Haass, like, what do you think about this course? And I was gonna be really concerned if he said, oh, I think this is gonna be pretty easy. And he goes, I don't know what the hell TV's talking about. You guys haven't been out. I haven't played it, And sure enough that proved me right. I mean one over one and the cut was eight over par. It was it was like a early two thousands the US Open.
Speaker 3: So if you were building a course that that was going to challenge like the professional player, how would you build it to have a score? A winning score around.
Speaker 1: Park probably have need to be kind of narrow, like that's sort of the thing off the tea longer off off the tee, and then you wouldn't need longer like little or no rough around the greens like but it needed you need stuff like Chambers Bay. I feel like where it's just kind of all runs away from the greens, you get way below the level of the greens. That's like that's the hardest to tip out of rather than if I'm in four inch rough like a foot off the green or five feet off the green, even as long as I'm not like really short sighted, it's not it doesn't usually get away from me too much there. You don't get like you don't chip it up and to roll back to you. That's I think that's something that like a long rough that's like the difference between like what amateurs like that just scares the heck out of them because they can't put out of it. Whereas if it's like you got a collection ay that's six people below the edge of the green and it's really firm, like that's just really tough, Like you can't hard to get hard to hit high with spin. You can put it up, I guess, but I've never really liked doing that. Yeah, I mean, I think there is kind of kind of narrow off, too long rough that seems to be the uh, the thing that keeps guys from getting too low, because you know, if you just bring the faraways in narrow enough. That's pretty much what they did at Marion. The rough was long around the greens as well. But you know, say if they had a bunch of runoffs, say like a it was like a pinehurs around the greens, I think it might have been tougher than just if you run one through the green, ball stops pretty close to the pin, you can kind of hack it out to ten or fifteen feet hopefully and be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always say like the worst thing for good players to see is the ball like rolling away on like approach shots, like the ball rolling in general, because when it's in the air, you pretty much know how far it's going to fly, how it's going to But then if it rolls away, that's when I like, you know you've lost control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you feel totally helpless. It's like you're well, ec ball starts spinning back down a ridge, just like there's like no worse feeling.
Speaker 2: And did did you learn anything from your two major championships you played in at Marion and Augusta that you still use today?
Speaker 1: Maybe more just like the confidence that i'd been there to where if I'm back in that position, it'll be familiar and that know that, Uh yeah, it's just something I know I'd be more comfortable next time. Like this, the difference from the Masters of the US Open, how much more comfort I felt me I teed off the first hit Masters like I had I hit my first T shirt. I had no idea when I was so nervous, I couldn't have told you this sort of thing. And then I started at the US OP when I wasn't nearly as nervous. That was something that you just with anything, the more you do it, the more comfortable you get. So I think that was that was a big takeaway. And obviously playing with I wanted to play with big name guys just more curiosity than anything, see what their game was like. And yeah, I mean I know that guys hit bad shots and all that, but when you watch on TV. You don't see that. So it was kind of cool to play practice around and see it. Talk to some guys that I played with, see what they did, and you realize that it's not it's not like way different than what you're doing. They're just like they're bad. It's just a little bit just better. Like everyone can play. It's everyone can play really good golf. It's just these guys aren't as bad when they're bad.
Speaker 3: What's the area of your game that you've had to work on the most since turning pro? Like maybe an area that you didn't think was that that you didn't think deemed a lot of work, but you've had to work.
Speaker 1: On a lot, probably like distance wedges. That's something that I've kind of starting, like middle of college, I started working more on I wasn't very good at at all early on in college. So that's that's something that I guess it kind of started the end of my college career. But that's something I've been pretty diligent about because I don't know, had it really far, but I hit above average, i'd say, and you know, I have more more of those opportunities, And you watch guys who and i'd play with guys in mini tour events who like poof it, hit it like two sixty five, two seventy, and we play these sixty seven hundred yard courses and they would just like rip it up. And that was something that just like drove me freaking nuts. And because I felt like I would take an advantage I had was being taken away and being replaced was something I wasn't very good at. So that was That's something that I I'm probably the most diligent about practicing right now that my coach and I are working on.
Speaker 2: So you played in Latin America. Speaking of some of the many tours you played on, do you have any crazy Latin American tour stories?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do. It mostly involves other people doing funny stuff. I mean I have one friend in particular who has played, as far as I know, at least two rounds without going to sleep. Yeah, went out one night, didn't go to bed, showed up at the hotel. I remember I was first off. This was in twenty fifteen, and they did it again this past year. And let's see in twenty fifteen one. In twenty fifteen, it was really impressive. We're playing this course in central Argentina, Cortaback Golf Club. It's called it's kind of like Posit Tiampa but really narrow.
Speaker 3: That's Cabrera's home course, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So yeah, it's final round and it's boy in like twenty all day. I'm like first off, so I kind of like luck out with the draw. It wasn't that windy and I played. I played well. I think there were I shot two hundred and like four or five other guys did as well that day and I was low score. My buddy went out with the guy I was rooming with that week, and the guy I'm rooming with says, Hey, I'm going to crash in someone else's hotel room tonight, so I don't wake you up when I get back sick. Thanks, because in Argentina, like you go to the bars like midnight or one. You stay till the sun comes up, pretty much. And I was teen off at like eight, so I leave for the course. My roommate's not there, and you know, I don't think anything of it, and he went out with my friend who had like thirty They got even thirty or eight o'clock in the morning and he had to like grab his stuff and bolt to the course, no warm up, nothing goes out. He and plays in the wind, shoots like one over. I think that's probably one of the best rounds I've ever seen. I didn't see it, but like that, I heard about it. I mean he was I'm pretty sure he was. He probably wasn't hungover because he was probably still drunk when he teed off. Right, he did that again, I can't remember where. Oh the Argentina Open, uh.
Speaker 3: Man, yeahs is a little bit better than Cordova.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I did it. Yeah, this about two months ago. So oh wow. He apparently double hit his second double hit a putt and still shot one under on the first of all the world. But the guy I'm saying with this week with room with him periodically, so he's laughing. Let's see. Then, I don't know, it was just stuff like that, and then there was always there was always like some hustle, like some caddy was wanting more money, and there I think kind of the stuff, the stuff of all players was just usually more interesting because you got a bunch of guys like running around kind of wild West. I mean, these are you kind of forget their third world countries, and yeah, it's there was. I was never I never felt like concerned, like safety wise, but it was just something you had to be aware of.
Speaker 3: What's uh, what's worse the caddies on the Latin America Tour or the scorers in the Bahamas for the WEB event.
Speaker 1: Oh man, the scores in the Bahamas, because at least in the Latin events, like certain countries, you know you'll get decent caddies, like in Argentina, Columbia, or like the countries where they're were golf is actually popular in South America, they will have decent caddies. They at least usually at least nowhere to stand, which is the biggest part of it. But I mean the people in uh, the scorers in the Bahamas the last couple of weeks were outrageous. I mean, I uh, the first round at Avoco, the second event, my group, this the roles official came up to us on the twelve hole off on ten and it's none of you guys made a whole in one on ten right as part three the walking score, the walking scorer put us all down for once and I made a triple on the next toll should come down for a thirty I wish but they.
Speaker 2: Need those that crew travel to every web dot com event.
Speaker 1: It's like it's kind of like a waste that they do, like because like in Latin America scoring we have, they do just get to volunteer every three holes, I need to tell them your score. And it was never that bad. Like my parents would follow along and you know, my dad would say, oh, they had you for a bogie on this hole, but you made a par or vice versa like maybe following my around every they do three hole scoring kind of like college, and that seemed to work good enough, Like it was never you never had anything too wild. But I mean the Bahamas is just like I'm not really sure what the strategy is, but it's clearly not working. I mean, they kind of doubled down on it this year too. I remember last year it was the same way.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying on Twitter is like they just need to suspend the live scoring down there, because I remember I was tracking it last year and I was like, my buddy was like they had him for like one under and he was like in fifth place and then he signed for like eighty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the turn, they'd take our card and like snap a picture with their phone, and I guess they'd use that to put it into the computer. So I think you would see guys scores correct at the turn. I'm guessing, but yeah, I mean I think I saw like Lee McCoy tweeted during one of the delays the first the first week, it said something he was like five over on the PJ Tour app because I'm one under right now. It's like how, I just don't know how I could get that far off, and like, yeah, they're blowing it on par three's which it's just so simple, like there's not even that much to keep track of. Everybody shot ball, but yeah, it's it really made you question, like what what was happening in these people's minds?
Speaker 2: How did they get this job?
Speaker 3: What? What was your favorite stop on the Latin America Tour.
Speaker 1: I I liked Lima, Peru just because the course was course was good, like good, not great, but it was just the event was really well run. Lima is kind of a cool city. Bogata is good in general, so we usually put decent courses there. I know the golf courses in Argentina were good, but as something about I just I was never really a huge fan of Argentina. They dinner really late there. That was kind of a hassle. You'd play at seven thirty in the morning and restaurants opening like eight or nine km So probably yeah, Lima, Colombia, those are good. You kind of got to stay in the city. We're in Central America. You stay out in these resorts you have, you're like stranded. It's you kind of just you're stuck. You can't really go out and check anything out. I mean I was, I kind of cared. I was more intertured like the other stuff, like at least kind of see I looked at, you know, playing in Latin America, going to I was going to a bunch of places that I kind of figured I never would. So it's kind of interesting to check it out. Especially the first year round in twenty fifteen, like every every week was kind of a like a new adventure, like go check this place out, just see what it's like. And the courses were just really hit and miss their Central America. You'd have all these like huge resort courses with lots of lakes and huge fairways and nothing special. And then Argentina did have some good courses, but I kind of Argentina was just kind of blowed to me.
Speaker 2: What was the pace of play like out there? I know that, you know, golf Twitter had a breakdown last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't see what happened, but I read about it. Apparently it took JB Holmes four minutes to lay up, and I don't even I'm not sure what happened with Alex Norn, but apparently it affected him.
Speaker 2: He had that second shot on eighteen, you know from whatever it was too thirty and you know, obviously he was going to go for it, and JB took the four minutes to sit there and decide what he was doing. So Norn was sitting there like, you know, the tournament on the line, twiddling his thumbs.
Speaker 1: But right, yeah, I totally I get that far I'd be I would have told if I was in Alex Orange shoes. I feel like I would have at some point just ejected from the wait and told JB. I'm hitting and I'm a bit impatient. So that would have driven me up the wall off for about a minute and a half, especially if he has an iron out laying up. Pace of play on Latin was usually pretty good. They did a decent job of policing NFL, Like, I mean, you know, there's some guys who are just like a human rein delay that you knew going in, Like if you have to look for a ball or something, you're probably gonna get put on the clock. But I don't know, I mean, I get the pace of play thing in the pace of play down here or sorry. In Latin America it was fine. I mean, they they put you on the clock. But the way they police it in general, I just think is it doesn't really they're not solving any problems. They're you get put on the clock and everyone just speeds up. So if you get put on the clock, I think it's ten times in a year on whatever tour it is, you started to find the fine start to find start at ten timings, whether you're you get a bad time or not. If you get put on the clock enough, you'll get fine. But the fine at each level is like kind of it's kind of a joke, like say it's not worth it's worth paying the fine and not. And if it doesn't affect you playing faster, you know, if you have to try to speed up and it affects you, know you it costs you a shot or two, like that's worth way more because like I think in Latin they find you like two hundred and fifty bucks. Web. I'm not sure what it is on the web, but I know like PGA tour, I think it's like ten grand, but you know that ten comes what's that?
Speaker 3: A SHOT's worth way more?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Like you know, if I get put on the clock, I'm in this second to last group at a tour event, like if they're gonna find me ten grand like whatever, you know, that's right, Like one shot could at that point is worth fifty to two hundred thousand dollars depending one hundred word you are, you know, so until they start like actually penalizing guys with strokes and if I don't know, I don't you know, I don't know the answer to this. But you know, I got put on the clock in the Bahamas, and I know I'm not a really slow player, and everyone sped up, so like even if I was playing with guys who were slow, everybody sped up, Like the rules of visual didn't witness anyone playing slow. It's kind of like it just it's a total waste of time. It seems like that the way the way they're going about it. I don't know how. I don't know how you improve it, but I know that finding guys cash is not the It's probably not the best incentive disincentive to make them play faster, you know. I think we look at how well AJGA did timing. I mean you were like they had still like the fear of God and the kids, like if you got to got one red card, you were you were hauling the next three or four holes like you never saw anybody got to get a penalty and obviously couldn't find the kids, and penalty structure seemed to work. I mean, we'd played a J. G Avins in four hours and ten minutes, and now we play you know, I consider a four and a half hour round in a tournament be pretty quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the way I feel and am golf. I'm like, wow, he played really fast day. I mean I look at my like phone of the rounds four and a half hours. So let's get uh, let's get out of here with some uh, some fun questions, no more like you know, pace of play. We'll do uh, we'll do one last question and then we'll get into overrated underrated, all right, So we talked about your Cal team earlier. If you could take like one part of any of your teammates' games, what would it be?
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't. It's toss up between Michael Kim's putting and Hage's length.
Speaker 3: I figured he's like two good things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, I'd probably take Hagy's length. I mean, I I just Michael ken pots it really good. But hay, hey, hey, he's a joke. I mean, I mean, my ball speed's like one seventy five is just like one eighty seven or something like. I'm like, i'd like i'd be top twenty percent in ball speed and he just twelve miles an hour faster. Like that's that's a joke.
Speaker 3: He murders it. Yeah, walked with him one day at a web event in Chicago, and god, he kills the ball. It's uh, it's crazy. All right, Let's say we'll do some overrated under ads overrated underrated Northern California, like for golf or just in general.
Speaker 1: Uh, underrated only because Southern California is so overrated.
Speaker 2: That's a good answer.
Speaker 1: Well, California, it's underrated.
Speaker 2: Let's go overrated underrated Panama, which you're.
Speaker 1: There, now, oh man, probably underrated. Uh, I mean this is like the perfect spring break stop. There's like you can get yourself in all sorts of trouble. It's cheap, Yeah, there's there's you could have all kinds of fun here. And yeah that probably underrated.
Speaker 2: We'll have to see on Saturday. Who misses the cut there?
Speaker 1: Yeah it might. It'd be a be a good week to be a fly on the wall for if guys.
Speaker 2: That probably how about overrated? Underrated? The Crow's Nest?
Speaker 1: Oh oh man, it's not over.
Speaker 2: You don't want to get yourself in trouble.
Speaker 1: Not underrated? Uh yeah, properly rated. I'll leave it that. The political answer something something you have to do. But when I was there, I stayed there a couple of nights. I'll elaborate it doesn't matter. I mean I stayed there a couple of nights and it was like I just kind of hung out there, like I'm you know, I like golf, Like I'm not like a huge the history part of it. To me, It's it's cool, but like I don't have the greatest appreciation for it, I guess, and I think it would have been I would have I might have felt differently. Like when I was there, the only guy that was staying there was the fourteen year old kid, uh gone, and he was like doing homework the whole time we're there. So I was like I was just like laid up on the couch watching watching TV and like the thirteen inch TV they have in there, like hanging out, my man and how we're there. I was texting my friends like what do you guys up to see? I was kind of bored. And I was supposed to have for three nights. I ended up staying for two because like Stephen Box and TJ. Vogel and Nathan Smith were all staying there different nights, so kind of like the camaraderie wasn't there, I guess you could say, but I mean it was cool. Like don't get me wrong, I I'm really good. You have to do it. It's just that's part if you play as an amateur, like that's you gotta do it. And I'm glad I did. But I have a lot of people asking about it, and I always tell him like, yeah, it was cool, but I could say I did it, but that's about.
Speaker 3: It, all right. Last one, Max Helma's Twitter.
Speaker 1: Game underrated, Uh his Twitter game is pretty good. He I I'll read what he says sometimes and think, oh that was that was. He has some pretty strong takes at times, but he's pretty funny. That's one thing with Max. Like, gosh, he had a good one about the Browns, the NFL team a couple of weeks ago. Something someone equating the NFL's ratings and Donald Trump and the Browns, and he's saying Max is not into politics at all. He says, whoever the guy was, is, I'm not a politics man. But if we should watch it grounds a game on TV and then think, after what you saw, would you pay money to go watch the Browns? Because the picture was, you know, with all the political stuff for the NFL stadium's empty, but the Browns at this point are like oh and nine or oh to ten at least? Is would you go and pay to watch it? After watching it on TV? It's like that one. That was probably one of his best. I see it in a while. I I got to kick out some of the stuff he puts on there.
Speaker 3: I feel like he's at his best when he weighs in on really random subjects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's really into pop culture, which I h I'm not too well versed in so I some of it I feel like I probably missed. But there's always some uh, some off the wall thing that, like you say, it's like an award show or whatever. Like he doesn't miss a beat if he has a pretty it's a pretty broad uh range of content on his Twitter account.
Speaker 3: All right, awesome, Well, thanks for coming on and we'll look forward to uh seeing you play well this week and this season on the web and hopefully up on PGA Tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, guys, thanks to win this week.
Speaker 2: That'd be pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, thanks, yeah, yeah, I will definitely be sleeping before all of my rounds. All right, man, all right, thanks guys, you've.
Speaker 3: Been listening to the podcast. We do the digging for you.