Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: As Welcome to another edition of mix Shots. Here in ox Star, California, we are at Cowboys training camp. Nate Newton, Savannah, Hugh Mohler, Mickey Spagnola with you this morning, along with the zamboni right on que. There was no noise here until we started it, and here he comes. Make it another pass on this Thursday. It's a little clowny today, guys.
Speaker 4: Yes it is, Yes, it is.
Speaker 5: It talks too bad though. It should warm up. We'll get the sunshine going.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 4: Don't bother me to me. It's perfect weather, sixty four degrees perfect weather.
Speaker 5: Wait, I have to ask Nate about his adventure yesterday on the motorcycle.
Speaker 7: You went up north yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I went up toward San Francisco and San Francisco, towards San Francisco.
Speaker 4: For San Francisco, I made it. Probably. I was about two hundred miles from San Francisco. For I turned around.
Speaker 8: How many miles?
Speaker 2: About two hundred miles from San Francisco, about three hundred and eighty very far. Yeah, No, it's three hundred and eighty to San Francisco and I got up to about two hundred.
Speaker 8: Can we turn our cameras around?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, turn out came. We got we got Dack throwing the bat, throwing the ball way up and there we medicine ball.
Speaker 4: Ye had the medicine ball. I want to get that on camera, going to quickly?
Speaker 7: You want me to film that? Yeah, come on back back?
Speaker 4: So wow? Anyway, well were it?
Speaker 8: Deck's work it out right.
Speaker 5: Hey, he's getting his morning workout in before our big practice at two pm when the Rams come.
Speaker 7: To our house. Today, be a very exciting day here.
Speaker 8: What are you looking for, Nate?
Speaker 2: I'm looking for news and notes and well, who's injured and who's not before we even started.
Speaker 4: I want to know everything, you know, Mick.
Speaker 3: Well, we had a walk through yesterday, okay, or as they called it, a mock game, yes, and so there really wasn't a practice. We got a chance to talk to the Cowboys assistant coaches, not the coordinators, the assistant so we got to uh do that. Uh if the walkthrough meant anything, it looked like Tyler Geiton was out there with the first team offense. So we'll see if he's ready to jump back into practice. Uh he had a chess cold. Did you ever miss practice with a chess cold?
Speaker 4: Yet?
Speaker 2: No, because we had vixed vapor rub and we put it on our chest and they hit us in the chest and in the back of a couple of times. We threw up whatever, and then we got out there in practice. Okay, a new style of player. They're just as tough, just as physical. I'm not knocking a little vix vapor rub with a hot rag over it.
Speaker 7: All right, here's here's the moment. Yes, all right, we'll get back to it.
Speaker 3: So while uho video in here, we'll go on. So maybe get will be ready to practice today.
Speaker 4: Yes, we need to sund to see young guy.
Speaker 2: We need to see him get in every rep that he's gonna get because right now Tuma Adoga has been in and out and our one constant guy has been.
Speaker 4: Austin Richards right and he and he's doing a nice job.
Speaker 2: But they want to see the competition between Tchuma and guiding and giving guid and a first shot it at being that startup and.
Speaker 3: We'll see if they how much they would put the first team guys out here in this practice. I would imagine since it's a practice, they will do this more than they will against the Rams in the in the preseason game because this is controlled. Because I saw them, it looked like they were doing some stuff getting ready.
Speaker 8: For the Rams game.
Speaker 3: Uh, and they were working awesome as the left guard, and they were looking working t J. Bass as the right guard. So they're not going to put Zach Martin out there, maybe not even Tyler Smith.
Speaker 8: Lam in this in this in this practice.
Speaker 2: Coaches love practices and scrimmages against other teams. It gives you chance as a player to go up against different talent with different styles. You maybe have the same over and under defense, but it's a different player that's gonna give you a different deal. Like a few years ago when Aaron Donald was here, that was a whole different level. A player got to say, Okay, this is what I really need to work on because I've seen number fifty eight, I've seen Mazi for thirty days, but this right here is something special when you see Aaron Donald. So it's the same whereas you can bet with Parsons lineup at at the defensive imposition. These there are times to be like WHOA, this is different, and so it gives you a mindset where you may have to hell, okay, I'm at the right level.
Speaker 4: Are you amo to raise your game the way you practice?
Speaker 3: So, since you asked about guys still rehabbing over shown, they're kind of slow playing him right now. They know he's coming back from that ACL and the other day I saw him hop off practice after a player or two. Now he came back, but they're kind of slow playing it and looked like yesterday he was going through rehab. Royce Freeman, the same thing, soft tissue injury Trayvon Diggs. While he has been out there, it's been seven on seven in pads, but not team. My guess is they don't put them in team until Tuesday. He's not going to play in the preseason. I don't think they got a practice on Friday, really a walkthrough on Saturday, travel to La Sunday. It's a day off on Monday, so Tuesday would be the next big practice day.
Speaker 8: They're practicing Friday, but I bet they don't put them in team yet. But he's close and he's moving awfully well. I don't know if what you.
Speaker 4: Guys have noticed.
Speaker 2: About these guys and miss Britt Brown is doing it is each one of them got their own snap count each guy, how many plays they want them to go out, percentage of practice they want them to go, and what drills they want them in and don't want them in.
Speaker 4: So they're being real careful about that.
Speaker 2: The most important thing here is we know that these guys needs a structurally sound What you have to be weary of now is you gott understand your quads and your calves and your hamstrings. Now got to go out on this field and do a different deal. It ain't a control workout or control where you know what's going on. When you trying to recover receiver. You can be twisted up, bent any type way. So before you just get a guy exploding the muscles everywhere like that, you got to give them time to ramp up to this type of pace.
Speaker 5: Also, you know we've talked earlier about how Mike Zimmer has been meeting with Michael Persons early in the morning and Trayvon Diggs, both in the same realm, and it takes one moment for you know, them to discuss Hey, this is what's going to be happening, and here's different plays and everything. But when Trayvon's coming back from this injury, and as it's a slow progression for him getting onto the field, it's gonna take a little bit of time to connect the dots and it is going back to the mentality. Yes he is physically ready, but you still have to slowly be implementing those plays on the field, and that's going to take a little bit more time if you ask me.
Speaker 3: So, you know how the players say, you gotta stay where your feet are, Gotta stay where your shoes are too. Got to get used to wearing your cleats, be walking out there barefoot.
Speaker 4: Oh and I found out.
Speaker 2: I went to one of the trainers and say, is there anything behind this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's just different.
Speaker 7: I knew it. Yeah, he's just different.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He come out there with his water bottle, with his shoes off. He just he's just a different guys. That's a high level guy, just like a great singer. Just a little bit eccentric, you know, may be my own thing.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that I'll be interested to see, not only in this scrimmage, but the preseason game on Sunday is the running back position. You know, we keep hearing about, oh, we're going to do this running back by committee. Well, I think we sort of know who the top two guys in the committee are, right yeah, Ezekiel Elliott and Rico Down. Yeah, and that's kind of how they've been using them right.
Speaker 4: Now, Yes, sir, Yes, sir.
Speaker 3: Zeke's been out there majority first and second, Rico kind of the third down back, and then they kind of switch it up.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: When we talked to Jeff Glasco yesterday, I talked to him the day before also on the running back committee, and he thinks that you know, what they've seen so far from these guys that you know they'll be able to do what they want to do. Pointed out that, you know, a lot the teams in the league don't have just one dog doing all the work.
Speaker 8: That they're using multiple running backs.
Speaker 3: So I thought the third guy had been Royce Freeman, which I thought was somewhat surprising because when you looked at his track record, you know, other than his first two years in the league, he really hasn't been that active.
Speaker 4: With teams.
Speaker 3: Last year he got a little bit more exposure and then he ended up with I think it's a hamstring or growing and he has missed the last few practices, but he kind of was running as the third guy. I don't know if he made an impression on you guys or have you noticed anything about Freeman.
Speaker 5: Well, I think he made a big impression on coaches. Even coach McCarthy was saying the other day how great it's been having him on this roster, but also how he was also going to be a big contributor to even special teams. So you know, it's unfortunate that he's missing these practices and hopefully this injury isn't something that's more long lasting.
Speaker 7: I think that there's a lot of use for Royce Freeman.
Speaker 5: He's a bigger body for this running back position, and they might be able to utilize him as far as you know, even red zone something like that is what I'm kind of envisioning for him.
Speaker 2: Nay I yeah, you know, make sometime, you know, this old dude gets stuck. And right about eyes on, it's only three guys. I'm looking at the rest of them. Got to show me through pre season. Ezekiel, ric o'dono and uh Hunter Limpke when they're in. I watched when the other running backs in. I'm just like, okay, I'm just we'll see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I have to I.
Speaker 2: Really really have to see, you know, because we can't count Deuce Van. He got another year under his belt and trying to understand what this league is about and is speed of this league?
Speaker 8: So and and he's been missing practice.
Speaker 2: Ye, he's been missing practice. So I'm just saying, when you go into a pre he's in game. And unfortunately they don't do this out here and doing scrimmages or practices against other teams. Is you don't too much worry about who run in at running back. First, watch who's playing special teams first, right, That'll tell you real quick. If they like Ross Spreeman and they keep talking about special teams, if they like Billy Johnson, they keep talking about special team, Let's see where they're at and how many special teams they're on. That is what you look at, and that'll tell you who they really looking at.
Speaker 8: So I think if we talk about the top three, yeah, Lipicky's the third.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The way they're using them right now, he's a fullback, but they're they're employing the full back a little bit more. It seems like in different areas than they did last year so far.
Speaker 2: And there's no hesitation when when they say when they move a team, oh the seventh period, second and third down, Long is the first guy that even before uh, before of the kid Rico do he is the first guy running out there with uh. With that, I'm like, okay, So that is what I've been noticing. That's what I've been noticing. Now, maybe they didn't want that out there, but I'm giving you on some news.
Speaker 3: Well, he's they've had him lined up as a true full back, yes, with two back system. They had him lined up in a two back system, but offset over by the tackle yard and then and then they've been using him as a one back in a lot of situations, even on third down situations. So he kind of reminds me of Mike's full back in Green Bay QN.
Speaker 8: I forgot his first name, forgot.
Speaker 3: All I know is he ripped the Cowboys one year for like three touchdowns.
Speaker 4: In the game.
Speaker 3: So, but uh, he likes to use the fullback and I think, uh Liftke looks a little like he's put on some uh not weight, but strength, like uh, muscle, he looks bigger. So you know, I think everybody last year remembers the goal line fumble in Miami.
Speaker 7: Right, that's that's his big Yeah, everyone somebody for that.
Speaker 3: But I was like, seriously, it was a mix up on who was supposed to get the ball, right, But I I like those three right now. And Blasco even said, you know, with this committee thing, they whoever gets put on the practice squad, you know, you can elevate a guy three times. Maybe in a particular game. They want to see Malik Davis out there, so we'll see.
Speaker 8: How it works out.
Speaker 3: But right now, from a production standpoint, I think Zeke's running just fine. Again as he said, especially for the running backs. And this is what we know, it's hard to judge until the bullets start flying, like the preseason game. Right now, I don't know that Zeke's going to be out there in that preseason game, but it'll be a well able to see what ric O'Donnell's doing. Malik Davis, Snoop Connor, Deuce needs to get himself back out there.
Speaker 5: A study rotation ye nicely and giving that opportunity to those guys to kind of showcas what they can do in preseason is going to be very important. But when it comes back to Hunter Lupkey, I really like his confidence right now too. He seems a little bit more comfortable in his second year. He knows exactly what he needs to kind of bring to the table. One quote that I really like from him, he turned off all social media this year. He was like, I want to focus just solely on football. But he said, your film is your resume. So he's in there watching film regularly, going back to exactly what he is, you know, showcasing, and he's trying to study to make himself a better player.
Speaker 2: The thing about being a cowboy player, it's just it's the same as the team.
Speaker 4: Half the people gonna love you and have the people gonna hate you.
Speaker 2: So if you're a big social media guy, this ain't the world you need to be in, right, you know, not in doing training have you?
Speaker 4: You have to be like Lympkey.
Speaker 2: You have to be like Lebron James when the playoff come, I don't need you, I don't need to hear you.
Speaker 4: I ain't got no extra tickets. It's over.
Speaker 2: I'm turning my phone off, I'm turning my computer off. And that is a smart thing that lip get's done. If it ain't his wife was young lady that he's close to. He don't need to hear from him.
Speaker 5: So it by the way, it's John Coon is John as the fullback and green.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: You came into the league twice, really as an undrafted free agent. Once with Washington R. I said, yes see, and then when you came to the Cowboys, it was almost the same thing all over income. So what your mentality when you're trying to make a team when you know you're undrafted and you got a tough hill to climb?
Speaker 2: You know, this is what I try to tell young guys. You you're gonna be at the back of the line, so you'll get to see all the mistakes. Don't go up there and make the same mistake at the guys before you don't. Don't make that mistake. Make sure you study your playbook. That's why I.
Speaker 4: Messed up in Washington. I wasn't a good studier.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand defenses, especially multiple moving defenses.
Speaker 4: It just blew my mind. I just freaked out.
Speaker 2: So I understand and the quicker You learn something and rehearse it and walk and walk throughs are very important. Now at the game begins to slow down, and now you can start to see things, and now you can let your athletic ability in your physical presence take over.
Speaker 4: And it took me a long time.
Speaker 2: It took me going to the US a veil and learning this and a coach believing in me.
Speaker 4: But every rep counts because you got a stand.
Speaker 2: This is wide receivers are getting the fourth and fifth guy are getting at least four extra catchers per practice because those four extra catchers will be going to see the lamb. The next three catchers will be going to cooks, and then it'll be split.
Speaker 4: Between uh turping and another guy.
Speaker 2: And so with the fifth guy and the tall guy, and every now and then they're throwing a ball and catch him off guard. That's how that's how few balls you would get. So every rep, you know, they were like, man, we're throwing the ball and he's dropped. And then somebody come to his defense. Well you ain't throwing with two balls in two days. Well he better catch those balls. So every rep counts. When I see all some riches, that's my man. But every time I see him technique technique technique, I walk downd. Hey, bro, keep your technique. I don't care out here and practice. I say you can adjust as the game go on. But technique, technique technique today. When I see him at practice, I wanna say, bruh, you don't know these guys. Allowing your technique, your strength and your feet of being, it will be in there.
Speaker 4: Allow your technique to take over. That's what you do.
Speaker 2: You have to be a technique sound person. You have to know what to do, know the snap count, know who to block. Unless your technique take over.
Speaker 8: There you go.
Speaker 3: We'll continue here on mixed shots in a moment on Dallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 4: Lo more Man too.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 8: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 9: What are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 7: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 4: It says less feeling. That's not what my script says.
Speaker 8: Hell mindset.
Speaker 10: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Little Lighter is in fact less feeling and taste great. I'm Vishine legal guy. Celebrate Responsiblylwalkee Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point you.
Speaker 4: G cars for twelve bounces, fewer cows and cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 11: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kierro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: As they snap of the press, guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped. He'll love pull a pres down.
Speaker 6: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 12: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 6: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 1: Tom shuts.
Speaker 5: The twenty twenty four official Sideline collection is out now. Head to a pro shop near you or log onto shop dot Dallas Cowboys dot com. A fanatics experience and score gear made for players, coaches.
Speaker 7: And you.
Speaker 5: I guess we can close out the Hunter Lupkey subject, but I did have one more no on, John Koon, who McCarthy had in Green Bay. So similar to Hunter Lupkey, Kuhne was a Division two player out of Shippensburg, and he went undrafted in two thousand and five. So a very similar sort of path, exactly like Hunter Lupkey.
Speaker 7: So McCarthy likes.
Speaker 2: If he like, if he like Kroon Humes or whatever his name, the fans will be calling him out.
Speaker 4: This is what I like about coach McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Is he has survived with just one good running back. Zeke used to be a great running back. Now Zeke is an exceptional good running back. Experience knows what to do tough. Okay, now we need for Rico o'donald to pick his game up. His injury threshold lifted up a little bit.
Speaker 4: Now we get Limpy is gonna be the change up guy. Now you're gonna look at him.
Speaker 2: He he can't do nothing, all of a suddenly catching a as out of the backfield, a scream up the sideline. This kid is gonna be all right. Now he's a better blocker last year, Like you said, half a man. Now he's hitting guys right down the middle. He's taking the punishment and giving the punishment. And full backs are gonna put in be put in awkward positions. That's what scares young guys, because now you're running over everybody in college. But these are grown men and they'll stand you up and you don't have to get the perfect block. You just have to get something on them, and you're running back and make the move.
Speaker 7: Just out of curiosity.
Speaker 5: Going into today's practice against the Rams, what are both of your expectations as far as what this day looks.
Speaker 7: Like for the team.
Speaker 2: For me, I want quickness and physicalness. I want effort, quickness, physicalness with effort. I'll worry about the rest. If you come out here and let him out hustle us.
Speaker 4: Just be a physical presence. I can't I'm not gonna be able to take that this year.
Speaker 2: I need a physical presence every time you walk on the field.
Speaker 4: Not not whether you're paying the forty nine ers a Cleveland.
Speaker 2: I know you're gonna get pumped up for them, but what you're gonna do about the lower level teams. Be physical at all times and give me great efforts. Start fast, start fast, start fast, start fast.
Speaker 3: The word that came to mind to me is compete, sort of what Nate's talking about.
Speaker 8: Get out there and compete. You know, winning and losing.
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter out here, but you better compete hard, and you gotta turn it up a little bit more than just your regular practice. And I think that they better be ready for that because the Rams are gonna come in here. You know, this is like an away game to them, and they're gonna be fired up to compete, So you gotta match their intensity.
Speaker 4: On understand this.
Speaker 2: I'm never and I've been around the Cowboys, and Mike, you've been around the Cowboys forever. The only team that has had that had that really didn't care about us ever was the Raiders. But I have never been in the inner squash. I've been against the Chargers, against this team here. They come in like they hate us, and they always come in with a physical presence.
Speaker 4: The only team that really didn't care was the Raiders.
Speaker 2: They did not practice, but everybody else always came with a physical presence. The first time they caught us off guard, but after that, it never caught us off guard because for some reason, whether they went to the Super Bowl or whether they went to the NFC Championship, or they come in like we we just won the Super Bowl, they bring it to this alone.
Speaker 3: Well in Austin, right, those are pretty high intensity practice.
Speaker 4: They come at us.
Speaker 3: As matter of fact, it physical and intense. That one year Al Davis walked down the field and stopped the practice. It wasn't his place, but he walked on in the field and goes, that's it.
Speaker 8: You guys are done. Took the team off the field where.
Speaker 4: We was practicing. In Austin. We used to go against the Houston team.
Speaker 2: The same thing, right, great effort to get us. I'm if I was saying something to the team, it's only three things.
Speaker 4: I would say, your effort, speed, and physicalness. That's what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: That if you're not a veteran guy like the butcher the right guard, are still a veteran guy.
Speaker 4: That you're working on something special, those guys would be exempt.
Speaker 2: But everybody else that I talked about thirty guys shouldn't worry.
Speaker 4: But I got third from thirty one on back.
Speaker 2: You should be every chance you get, you should be trying to take somebody's head off. Not nothing illegal, but within the framework of what's going on out there, you should be.
Speaker 4: I want to say, balls, I got you, we understand.
Speaker 3: And one of those guys that kind of fits into that that needs to now with the you know, a practice, a live practice and then a preseason game. Rock Kaufman, you center another undrafted free agency yes, Plactae squad. Now it looks like he's kind of solidifying and starting center job. All right, but now you've got to play football. This ain't practice right and you got to step up and everything that he seems to be doing right, you got to continue to show that to be able to lock that position up.
Speaker 5: One thing that I've really liked hearing from coach McCarthy over the past week is the word discipline. He's used it in a few different senses, especially for this practice today. He wants to see discipline out of this team, as far as the physical discipline, the mental discipline, and the emotional discipline. So that's one thing that I'm looking to see today specifically, is how that's carried on the field because this is the first these guys are getting the opportunity to hit another team that are not their teammates, and so it is going to be physical, but it's the attitude that these guys have to bring to this practice today. Rock Coffins one of those guys I'd really want to see what he's going to bring to the table.
Speaker 8: And basically what he's talking about. We don't need a bunch of skirmishes, ye need a bunch of fights.
Speaker 3: And he basically said, you know, if that happens, you're coming out of the practice. You know, it would be like a game. If you do it in a game, you're thrown out. I'll be interested to see if the NFL officials who were here for the Tuesday practice are here for the scrimmage to try to keep order in discipline.
Speaker 2: You know what, we've had practices where it's been very physical, no fighting, no ignorancy, And we've had practices where it's been that way. It's your coach a couple of years ago, different coach. He came in and Fisher that's what he wanted. Yeah, I don't care.
Speaker 4: What nobody said because it was pre medity. Yeah. What you do is you tell for guys man, if if you get out of hand.
Speaker 2: Now, if it's anyway I can get loopholes to find you, I'm gonna find you. Because that's what Jimmy was about. We're gonna go ahead and we need a physical practice. We go into the whistle and if God shove you, so what the next player is coming. The next offensive devins and just shoved me. Big new you never get mad because I'm I'm dogging you. Man, you the one upset. Why did you just shove me? I told one guy, Why did you just shove me?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: You yeah, yeah, I got my hands inside and I dump you on your back. So you shoved me as long as you don't kick me a.
Speaker 4: Spit on me, were good? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Come on, man, you know what the And I've told this story many times, so stop me up here if I told it the other day. But in that skirmish with the Ram, and it wasn't a skirmish, it was an all out brawl.
Speaker 4: There was punches being thrown.
Speaker 3: I was standing on the field behind us, and the Cowboys were in goal line against the Rams at the fire end, and the fight started right well, the entire Rams defense that was on the field ran over to where the fight was going, except for their veteran linebacker.
Speaker 4: He stood on the field.
Speaker 3: Romo went under center, hiked the ball and handed off and they scored a touchdown. And Rome was going it was a levenon one and he raised his hand like celebration of a touchdown while everybody else was over there fighting it's like he ain't going over there. The rest of the offense ship go over there. But the worst part was is the fans along the fence. When some of the players got pushed to the fence, started throwing punches, and I mean it really got out of control, guys, you know, and the what's the stupidest thing you can do when that's happening, Take your helmet off, right.
Speaker 4: Say that.
Speaker 2: I have with so many plays in me, so I want I want getting involved.
Speaker 3: Hey, I wanted to talk about one guy that I've noticed starting to get more reps, not only with the second team, but actually got a few with the first team. And Savannah and I have talked about him, Willie Harvey junior.
Speaker 8: Very impressive number fifty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't know if.
Speaker 3: You've noticed it, but it was like early I saw fifty five out there and I'm.
Speaker 4: Going, not familiar, Kendricks is out.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, and then I said, oh, that's Willie Harvey junior. Yeah, and I'm going to keep an eye on him in these because he's gonna get a lot of reps. I was talking to uh, the coaches and it's like, oh, yeah, he's he's he has stepped up.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: His deal is Nate five eleven, two thirds as a linebacker, and he's been around the league a little bit practice squads, but he.
Speaker 7: Made me with the Browns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the Browns and if you have the notes on him, but he ended up in the UFL this past year or no, this year, right, it was, Yeah, in twenty twenty three he was with the UFL and it was with the BattleHawks, and he was a league leader in tackles and he was named an All UFL team as well. So he.
Speaker 7: Really stood out in that league.
Speaker 5: And now he's getting the chance to kind of showcase his skill set here. And he spent several years on the practice squad, I think from twenty nineteen until twenty twenty two with the Browns, played in only two games.
Speaker 7: But he you know, so far.
Speaker 5: At camp he's had a few picks, he's making tackles, he's practicing with the first team, he's getting a.
Speaker 7: Lot of reps. He's one to probably keep an eye out for.
Speaker 3: So I talk to Darryl Johnston, who's director of football operations for the UFL, and I asked him about him. I said, give me a scouting report on him, and he said, basically, he's one of these guys that because he's small, he automatically gets diminished or overlooked. He goes, but in this league you get a second chance. And he got to play and he really stood out in the league at linebacker. And I said, does he remind you of anybody? He goes, Well, look, I'm not talking about the total talent and skills, but he was sort of he's he's sort of a Sam Mills, right and probably at right smaller linebacker, very active, saw.
Speaker 2: The field, played with the Philadelphia Stars.
Speaker 3: Right, and went to he was with the Saints and then Carolina. Was he at Carolina?
Speaker 4: New Orleans? Was at Carolina?
Speaker 8: Was he there when you were there? A year?
Speaker 4: Maybe? A year? Maybe?
Speaker 3: So anyway, he's somebody to just keep an eye on, uh, and he's gonna get an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Special teams right when you when I hear guys try to put special teams that when you talking to a linebacker coach, opposition coach and he's talking about a player as maybe the you know, third fourth linebacker, fifth receiver, they always say automatic special teams. Special teams is gonna mean a lot to a lot of these guys. But every time Kendricks has been out, he has been the starting mic backer. Every time Kendricks has been out, they replaced Kendricks.
Speaker 4: For some rest. He is the first guy in.
Speaker 8: And he's caught their attention.
Speaker 3: I was talking to Scott McCurry about it, the linebacker coach, and uh he said, he goes.
Speaker 8: He just keeps showing up, he keeps making plays.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: So that'll be an interesting story to see because what what DJ said to me is a lot of times, when you're that size, you got to fit into the right Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like you did.
Speaker 2: Jordan Lewis, right, Yeah, like you did. Jordan Lewis right, exactly.
Speaker 4: So, Yeah, but he just keeps showing he just keeps showing up.
Speaker 8: He's too small.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just keeps showing up. Mickey. Like, but you love short linebackers. Huh.
Speaker 8: Well, if they can hit and get to the hole, right, Okay.
Speaker 5: Well, anyway, even Zimmer has talked about how impressed he has been with this linebacker group. And we did have Eric Kendricks out for a couple of practices and that gave these guys a little bit more of an opportunity to kind of get in some more reps and just seeing some of that from Willie Harvey, Harvey Junior, even Buddy Johnson, and also, like you said, how they're going to utilize them on special teams.
Speaker 7: That's where a lot of this comes into play.
Speaker 10: Here.
Speaker 2: The thing I try to press upon people, and I try to tell Patrick c is when you have a guy that starts I'm talking about reps, they'll say, we finna do inside run.
Speaker 4: We got fifteen plays.
Speaker 2: Well, the first four is going to the first team.
Speaker 4: That means the fifth guy.
Speaker 2: By the time they get to the next set of plays that goes to the second, that's eight plays gone. Then they get the second and third in there.
Speaker 4: Now it's another.
Speaker 2: Fourth plays going. That's twelve place. It's three plays left for those guys. Take that guy out on the front end. Now that's seven plays that a guy that was the fourth or fifteen get a chance to do.
Speaker 4: And that's what people don't understand. Well, I ain't wanna be that many more reps.
Speaker 2: You're not counting. You're not counting every rep if I can get. If you tell me that, I'm gonna go to practice two times a day and I'm only gonna get four reps and all of a sudden it turns into ten reps you came in. But I can't make a difference on that film. I can make a difference on that film.
Speaker 3: And I think coaches may not say it to us how a guy's performing, but they tell us by the reps they give guys yes, And if we see reps out there, it's like, oh, they think this guy's doing something.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: And I've even said this from the very beginning of camp. And I'm looking at the wide receiver group not having CD Lamb here right now. Look at this wide receiver room that is able to make more plays and get more reps in. Look at some of these guys being able to showcase Tyrone, Billy Johnson, Turpin.
Speaker 7: These are opportunities these.
Speaker 5: Guys have to make an impression on coaches with Ceedee Lamb not being at camp.
Speaker 3: So let's continue kind of analyzing that wide receiver group when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 2: And three receivers, don't worry about I got you COVID, great tease, I got you COVID.
Speaker 4: Don't worry about a with three of them.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Metal All of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 8: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling.
Speaker 9: What are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 7: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 8: It says less fillings.
Speaker 6: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 8: Hell mindset.
Speaker 10: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm rashine legal guy, Celebrate responsibily. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands be point two grams carbs for twelve bounces, fewer Cowson cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 11: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful ready to sor guacamole made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Your ke Hero's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 12: They snap of the press. Guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped. He'll love for a first down.
Speaker 6: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 12: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 6: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot com to micked shuts.
Speaker 5: Cowboys Nation Dallas Cowboys United, presented by Globelife, is now exclusively in the Dallas Cowboys app. Joined the Official Fan Club today to receive access to the all new Cowboys drops feature team news and presale access fan and kit of the game.
Speaker 7: Download the app now to join.
Speaker 3: And we continue here on mix shots. Nate Newton, Savannah hu Mooler, Mickey Spagnola with you here on a cloudy day in ox Start, which means that it might get a little warmer here eventually if the.
Speaker 8: Marine Layer.
Speaker 4: Dissipates.
Speaker 3: But got a big practice coming up two o'clock La Rams coming into town, and then a preseason game on Sunday at SOFI, so we'll get to learn a lot more about this team.
Speaker 8: We were talking about the wide.
Speaker 3: Receivers, and the one thing I noticed without Lamb here is some of these young guys, they show up, they flash, and then one day and then the next day you don't see much from them. But one guy that I think has been consistent has been Jalen Cropper, number sixteen, And I think when you're watching this preseason game on Sunday, keep an eye out for sixteen, because he's been awfully productive and productive with Dak Prescott with the first team when he gets his as Nate said, opportunities. I mean, he'll make three or four catches a practice and it's like, all right, he's not going away. There's only so many wide receivers you can keep, so it's gonna be an interesting competition.
Speaker 2: The thing that I've liked about all these receivers no pads with pass, They've been consistent. So I'm hoping that we can take this into this practice today and into the into the preseason with these same group of guys doing it doing it because each time it wraps up a livid higher, the intensity gets a livid higher. So if these guys can continue with this pace, it will be a hard cut. We'll be sitting here five weeks from now, four weeks from I'm saying, hey man, it's about four guys that's at that fourth and fifth spot, and that's really gonna come down to special team. So I like what these guys are doing.
Speaker 4: They are competing at a high level at.
Speaker 2: Least wide receivers and the tight ends are doing the same thing.
Speaker 8: Nate.
Speaker 3: If you look at it, doing the numbers will include LAMB right, right, So you got CD, Brandon Cooks. Probably at this point, Jalen Tolbert Cavante Turpin's gonna make the team as a special teamer, but he's getting more opportunity to a wide receiver.
Speaker 4: So that's five.
Speaker 3: That's that's how many four that's four. Then Jalen Brooks has been one of the guys that has stepped up. Propper has been one of the guys that has stepped up. Tyron Billy Johnson has been a guy that's kind of flashed and a late comer.
Speaker 8: To this is racy math. Uh yeah, more balls number eighty right yeah, and he's playing well.
Speaker 3: He he He was the unknown receiver at LSU. He was there where all the big names coming and that's when he was there, and he was probably the third fourth receiver. Sky ran of a four three six forty whoa at six?
Speaker 8: I think he's six.
Speaker 3: Two if I remember correctly, and uh he's six three excuse me, six three two twenty four.
Speaker 8: It's almost a tight end.
Speaker 7: He has the built he has a lot.
Speaker 4: Of well what what happened? I mean, he has some studs, but his measurables is huge.
Speaker 3: And he I think he fell through the cracks when he you know, into the NFL.
Speaker 4: I know he had to go to the sun Combine to Wow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah he did.
Speaker 3: And uh so he's kind of you know, he was on the practice squad last year and maybe he's a guy that you know, at least makes the practice squad and then if you need somebody like that, elevate him. But think of think of that dimension when you're close to the goal line, you know, so, uh, keep an eye on him to number eighty. Do you guys have anybody else, uh that you want to particularly pay attention to in the in the preseason. Well, and here's the other thing I wanted to point out. Of the receivers, it's pretty it's pretty easy out here. When you know you're not gonna get tackled. You're pretty brave going across the middle. Now, somebody's gonna hit you in that game. Now, do you got the same set of hands? Are your arms as long as they were?
Speaker 4: That's why I say no pads to paths to this, That's what that's that's why it's the progression. Yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: I try not to go here because it's a it's kind of a scary situation, fellas.
Speaker 4: And let me tell y'all something. The quicker our offensive.
Speaker 2: Line developed, the great the greater our chances of being successful with this season. If our offensive line don't develop, y'all, all these great receivers we're talking about, all these great tight ends that I know we have, it's not gonna work. If guidon are awesome riches a tumor don't develop and do something special.
Speaker 4: If brock Hoffmann can't.
Speaker 2: Hold up in the middle, it will not matter. And I'm and I know that's a gloom and doom thing.
Speaker 4: And you know that. Don't nor them to come from me.
Speaker 2: But that is the only thing that we should be watching for. Not so much, uh you the fans y'all cheer, but us be watching for so we can give accurate accounts of what happened in this scrimmage and in the game.
Speaker 5: So yesterday I actually had a chance to talk to the offensive line coach, Mike Salari, and I asked him who in this offensive line group has been surprising him the most, and he said nobody. He said, to be honest with you, the amount of effort these guys are all equally putting in. That's what he is appreciating right now, as far as this room goes, He goes, we have the leadership. We have Zach Martin, we have Terrence Steele, we have Tyler Smith. He goes, it's all fitting together like a puzzle, because you do have that great leadership. But he said, the guys are all putting in the equal amount of effort. And that's one thing that I did like hearing. It's just a matter of these younger guys being able to step up and really fit in there.
Speaker 4: The thing about it is.
Speaker 2: Me personally, I'm gonna give them preseason, yeah, but I'm gonna give them for you know me, Mike Va, y'all know me. I'm gonna go for and five games in even if we.
Speaker 4: Don't win them all. I'm because you're trying to put your team together.
Speaker 2: You can say, you know these guys, but we don't know what Guide's gonna do against against Cleveland. We don't know what brock Haama gonna do against Cleveland. Cleveland has a good defense led by a hell of a player. So what we have to do is let these guys grow and unify and melt. You know what I'm saying, Like a little big pot of gumbo. We got to stir them real slow and let it simmer and let them come together.
Speaker 8: You know what I'm saying, You agreement, You gotta make the rule.
Speaker 4: You gotta make that rule, right baby? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: And then the other one your show today, yeah, making rude right yeah. And the other person that's gonna get a lot of snaps, not only in this practice but in the preseason game is Trey Lance. And we're gonna start seeing a little bit more about him because the Cowboys have to find out just what he is.
Speaker 4: And the other.
Speaker 3: Day when they were in team he did a couple things and you sit there and you're kind of shaking your head like what the hell. And then the last play of the team period, he throws a wheel route to Snoop Connor. It was about a twenty thirty yard pass and it was a bullseye in the back corner of the end zone on the wheel route that Snoop went up and made the all.
Speaker 8: Of a catch. And you're sitting there going, Okay, I see you.
Speaker 3: But it's like, you gotta be consistent, and that's what they got to find out about him.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 2: I was hard on this kid, but I went back on his background. And I know this is NFL and you don't have a lot of time to waste, but me personally, I would just I wouldn't tell him this, but I just put him on the back burner and give him another year, another year away from the forty nine ers. I think that hurt him. It did not do anything for his psyche and scard him. Yeah, and so I you know, y'all don't normally hear me take up for a player. I don't understand what this business is about. But I wish we just had another guy instead of Trey Lansing Camp, you know, and just say trade. Just just watch that, Just just watch watch film of other guys and let him just get himself right. Because it was something about this kid that made the forty nine ers move up with all these picks. It's something, it's something they saw.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: If he's not mentally ready next year, then okay, but I want him to be a part enough removed from all that wash.
Speaker 4: He's still a young kid.
Speaker 8: And he hasn't played a lot of football.
Speaker 4: He hasn't he played one full year at see. I don't even want to discuss it.
Speaker 8: North Dakota State, right, but he's gonna.
Speaker 2: See how many snaps. He probably see the first two at least two quarters each each game. And I wish we could running there with the first team line a couple of times, just just let him have something clean to look.
Speaker 8: At and your your ideas.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, they'll run out of time because he's on the last year, yes of his contract.
Speaker 4: And I mean if.
Speaker 2: Sometime like and I always use this asthma, like Zeke, we should have never got rid of Zeke. We should have locked him in the bathroom and once every when free agency passed, said hey.
Speaker 4: Go Zeke, he go.
Speaker 2: This money we're gonna give you, force him to take it, you know, And this is what we should do with this kid. Hey man, the contract running out, it's over, Okay, this is what we're gonna pay.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 2: Come in here and release your mind and your behind will follow. Let's play, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I think Trey Lance has been such a big question mark since he arrived on this roster. But it's plays like when he's throwing a touchdown to Snoop Connor that give him that confidence. So as we progress throughout the US to this camp and what he's gonna do in preseason. It's an opportunity for him to see what he can do, for us to see what he can do. But it's plays like that that's really gonna build his confidence into the player that we're hoping that he might become. But it's just kind of TBD in the air. He's still a question mark at this point.
Speaker 3: He's got two and a half four weeks of training camp and he's got three preseason games to kind of sharpen his skills, to see just what he can do, and.
Speaker 2: Just put it and then put him on the back burner. Just put him on the practice squad or whatever. Just put him on the back burner and let him grow. Just this is what I don't understand. This kid probably done had eight draft picks that dedicated to him. He's been moved up from a nobody to a whole special somebody. You went to one of the most prestigious teams in the forty nine ers, who is on a magnificent run right now.
Speaker 4: These people kick you to the curve.
Speaker 2: Then you turn around to get another fourth round pick for you to one of the most iconic teams in.
Speaker 4: The Dallas Cowboys. Do you know this kid? Like, what in the world is going on? Yeah?
Speaker 2: From a guy who may only played one year of college to this is what the NFL is. Put the kid on the back burner, just leave him alone another year and then next year Nate may not be so nice. If I'm here, If I'm here, because I believe me, I'm not in the family portrait either.
Speaker 5: You heard it here first from Nate Newton, Bibe No, and you only get it here at mix shots here on Dallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 3: And that was like the fastest fifty minutes I think we've seen in podcast history. But we'll be back next Monday. Today, I gotta get my day straight with this rotation.
Speaker 4: Chris Well, We'll be back Monday. We'll be off Monday, Monday, Monday.
Speaker 8: Nate Newton, Savannah Mickey, we was.
Speaker 4: Not Savannah, Joe j.
Speaker 8: Don't my rhythm.
Speaker 3: We'll be back Monday with mix shots on Dallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club