Speaker 1: Babe yea babe, wow wow, wow wow, we have an exciting episode for you. We are joined by the best cat lady we know, rickyland Home. You know Ricky from Knives Out, The Last House on the Left, Lego Batman, Another period. Please welcome Ricky to the show. Ricky, Hey, Hi, how are you? I was like, oh, Hi, you're in Are you right now?
Speaker 2: Are you in recording both?
Speaker 3: I'm in a closet that was Christmas present from my husband. He turned it into a recording booth. Holy, yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 1: Right, yes?
Speaker 2: Is that why you sound so much better than we do?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Good dear, No, it's no, it's good. Yeah. This is just he got like a professional person to come in and make it happen.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's why I need a husband, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I literally have been saying that you need a whole husband.
Speaker 4: I ain't got nothing happened. I'm doing all this stuff by myself, echoes and everything. Okay, So before we go any further, let's just I'm gonna dive into what's happening in this episode.
Speaker 2: So here's the deal.
Speaker 4: Schmid, who was still dealing with the effects of his double breakup, vows to put an end to Nick and Jess he can cox a plan and informs Jess of a sexual something called the Captain that he insists will help Nick with his p nile issues. Meanwhile, Winston is on a mission to get Ferguson laid before his neutering. This goes a bit too far and ends with him starting a cat brothel in his.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So, this episode is directed by Fred Goss, written by JJ Fielden.
Speaker 2: Let's dive in.
Speaker 1: Let's dive in before we just we get into the meat of the episode, I just want to ask you, do you remember like your New Girl origin story, like idea this all came to be?
Speaker 3: Well, it's sort of two parts. I remember I was on the and the was it the Warner brother the Warner Brothers. I mix up the lots the Fox. I was on the Fox lot auditioning for something else, and I ran into Liz Merriweather and I was like, Oh, what are you doing? And she's like, oh, I'm going to pitch this show like and she was talking about She's like, it's this girl with these rooms. She was on the way to the pitch and then when I saw I saw the billboards and stuff. I'm like, that was that's the show Girl with the roommates and yeah, yeah, so I ran into her on the way. So there was that. And then one night I was I'd worked that day on something else and I was in the bathtub and my phone kept ringing. So I was like hello, and they're like, hey, can you come do New Girl tomorrow morning? And I was like, oh, yes, yes, yes, I love that show. I'm so excited. So it was just someone must have dropped out or I mean, I don't care, like I'll take a recast. I don't care. Somebody must have had some sort of last minute dropout thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got there. I remember who it was. Who was it? Yeah it was Oprah.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, she's always getting all my parts.
Speaker 1: She's always Yeah, she would have been here in the waiting room. You both look at each other, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, Oprah, she is hilarious, that's what she. Very funny sitcom queen.
Speaker 1: At the last minute offer that just came in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like eight pm. And I'm not great with lines, so I was like, I was so good. I'd seen the show a bunch because that I didn't have to worry about that. But I was just like going over lines and stuff. And then I went in the next day at like six am and just started, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you know you were going to have to do a lot of cat handling?
Speaker 3: They did tell me, They're like, are you are you allergic to cats? And can you work tomorrow? I was like, no, and yes, what am I doing?
Speaker 1: Look at little board? He's how interesting They had an interesting.
Speaker 2: No, they did not ask me. They didn't give a damn.
Speaker 4: In fact, I was taking medication. I was scratched up all over the place. I just got scratch marks.
Speaker 2: Given like the.
Speaker 1: Cat to any of us right in the like in the show.
Speaker 3: And they chose and they just didn't air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had two cats at home, like I am a loud cat lady, and they gave it to Lamourn. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also, you know, I bet I wonder if that's what happened to the original person. Maybe they got the script and they were like, I can't I can't hold a cat, And then it does sound like Oprah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, everybody knows she hates her cats.
Speaker 3: She hates animals and nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she has pet kangaroos.
Speaker 3: But you know what I mean wait, so you were allergic that whole time. I didn't remember that part the whole time.
Speaker 4: And there have been multiple episodes where I had to be involved with like not just one cat, but a number of cats. Again, there was that one. We had it, We had, I guess, like I said, multiple episodes where I'm surrounded by these feelines which I'm allergic to.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what this is.
Speaker 3: It's a cat storyline the entire time. There's a there's barely a shot of you in the episode not holding a cat right here. I know, I know, and you don't hold it kind of close to your face for the shot, so you can't hold it like you're like you normally.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you they it got to the point where I became such a diva about it, and not a diva, but you know, I was bleeding a lot from the scratches that they decided to get a fake cat for my close ups. So whenever it was my close up and you would just see the top of the cat, it was a fake one.
Speaker 3: Was that in our episode or that was later? No, that was later, okay, because I was like, I don't remember that at all.
Speaker 1: They would have Ferguson and scenes sometimes with Lamourn and I and I'm holding Ferguson for no reason that's ever explained in the Show're.
Speaker 3: Like, well, they're really read any of scratches all over it.
Speaker 1: Just holding a cat.
Speaker 3: Did you guys have an action cat or no?
Speaker 2: Did you action cat?
Speaker 1: Action?
Speaker 3: I did a sitcom pilot once. It didn't get picked up, but it there was. There was a cat is like part of the storyline and they had two sort of identical looking cats and one was the sleepy cat and the action cat. So yeah, we'd be holding Ashley, you know, for all the like nice parts, and then they would swap out the cat. They'd be like action cat and this cat would come in when it had to do like choreography, like move across the room.
Speaker 4: We did that with your show. We did that with your kids sometimes on the show Hannah.
Speaker 1: Really whats right? Twins yeah, wins.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Ferguson was a solo Ferguson was a solo a solo act. So if Ferguson was not in the mood to work that day, guess what we were punting and we were doing something else. Because once he started yawning, Oh my god, once he started yawning. Then the cat wranglers would go, he's tired, he must go to sleep, and they would just take him away.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I'm tired. Don't nobody come care?
Speaker 3: Like I'm tired, I'm allergic, I'm covering the shit. I can't breathe. Everyone's like, oh, we do not care.
Speaker 5: We do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I saw Ferguson's paycheck.
Speaker 3: Did you really you did?
Speaker 1: For real?
Speaker 2: Ferguson was making Ricky and I were like, we're like clack.
Speaker 1: We're like please, that's important.
Speaker 3: I bet can'ts make more than women, don't they?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: So there was the men on the show, then there was the cats, and then there was the women on the show. There was that Ferguson was making two hundred and twelve thousand dollars in episode.
Speaker 1: The Facts, by the way, the Facts on the Oprah. We got Oprah in here, all real world's winches cat. Oh, we got to dive into this episode, you guys. We have to get in because I for some reason, when I was called the captain, I thought it was like the episode we shot on the.
Speaker 2: Boat on the boat, No.
Speaker 1: Right, no, And then I was like, wait a minute, doesn't seem like they're gonna end up on the Queen Mary, what's happening here? And then I learned what the captain. I felt traumatized.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I want to kick it off.
Speaker 4: Okay, so post sex, right, Nick rolls over in bed and pours water all over his face, as one does after a night of action, and Jess says she wants to film it, but she doesn't want to film it because then that would just be pornography. Now have you had these this is a disgusting.
Speaker 1: Maybe keep going, no question.
Speaker 2: Well, because I'm like when I watched it, I was like, when I watched it, I was like, man, that don't happen. That don't happen. I'm getting up.
Speaker 1: It doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Ah, you were good? Oh so are you?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, let's talk about how great we were after doing it.
Speaker 3: I think only in sort of like one night situations, if they seem instanter and you want them to like be your friend, you're like, yeah, like, oh that was because it's you put in the past. You're like that was awesome. You're sort of tying it up with that. I think that, yeah, wow, that was so great. Now that that's over. That was amazing.
Speaker 2: You know, no, I agree, one percent agree.
Speaker 4: Now, just suggest that maybe they take a break from sex and talk about their childhoods, you know, really get to each other's heads. Nick says he's gonna go uh banana before round two instead of talking about his feelings. I didn't know what that meant until I realized what that meant. He's just gonna go load up on a banana.
Speaker 1: Just say you're gonna give it a banana. Needs to create a cute little way of saying it.
Speaker 3: That's the New Girl way, though, it is you gotta have a cute little yeah, a little cute Yeah. It's cute little things everywhere.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, So it is true. That was their whole thing, the misdirect in language. I feel like it was a big thing on New Girl. You're like, what where you had to go? It's a bit yeah, yeah, just go eat a banana.
Speaker 2: Now. Meanwhile, Schmid, he's in the living room.
Speaker 4: He doesn't understand how Nick and Jess are so loud, because they are apparently very very loud. He can't get it because Nick's body is also soft that it should absorb sound and then rude Winston tells Schmidt, but being dumped by two women on the same day has to be a record, and Schmidt pledges that he is going to put an end to Nick and Jess. Now we talked about this in the last episode. This is a very sinister version of Max Weird.
Speaker 3: Weird Schmidt such a good actor that you can you still feel sorry for it, you can still sympathize with it. If he was like a slightly worse actor, the crowd would like turn against him and they'd be like, he has to just apologize and change and be boring, but pull it off.
Speaker 1: I know that was the whole There was so many articles written around season three of if it was anyone else, it would like sink a series because you just made one of the most beloved characters like so intentionally cruel and just.
Speaker 3: Sell reasons and nothing to do with them. He's not like they'd be better off a part. He's like, I would be better yeah.
Speaker 1: If you're apart yeah, and really is like a menace about it.
Speaker 3: She has to ruin their sex life.
Speaker 1: That is dark.
Speaker 4: Has you ever has anyone tried to do that to you? Ruin your relationship?
Speaker 1: Break someone up?
Speaker 3: Not that I love, possibly but not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 2: I think I think someone did that to me once. Really, Yeah, I haven't confronted them about it yet, but I will. Was it recent, No, just a few years ago, but for real?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think somebody like God involved, And yeah, changed.
Speaker 2: Over the years, you start to realize certain things and you go, hold on, was it you this entire time? It's like that movie, Uh, wicker Park? Have you seen that movie?
Speaker 4: You see that movie wicker Park with Josh Hartnett and Rosebyurne and no, oh my gosh, it's it's anyway. I don't want to get into that because we're talking about New Girl, not wicker Park.
Speaker 3: But I've seen Usual Suspects. It's very like, oh, that was you.
Speaker 1: You know, the same as your breakup.
Speaker 2: More we broke up at Kaiser Permanente. Anyway, That's okay.
Speaker 4: So, so Winston suggests to Schmidt that he should invest in one of his survival kits. He goes into his bag, He's got a blindfold, he's got a bell wrapped around a ribbons so they can hear when he's coming.
Speaker 2: That's it's so dumb.
Speaker 4: And meanwhile, Jess and Nick they lie about going to have sex in the bathroom and they can't lie obviously, and it's giddy. This is a strange moment for me because I used to have roommates. It's me and I lived with three different women, and this is right around. It's like right soon after or soon before I booked New Girl. I think I told you about this, Hannah. And there were times I had one rule. When they moved in, I said, I just don't want to hear it. And I don't want to see no dudes in my kitchen with their shirts off.
Speaker 2: He could be in the kitchen.
Speaker 4: I just don't want to see you know what I mean, post quital chest.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see it.
Speaker 4: And yeah, in the amount of times that not only did I hear it, but did I see post quital chest in my kitchen.
Speaker 1: Said reset rules and boundaries, and they were like cool, yep, no problem. Moved in, and the Navy you were like, I haven't thought any of that ship there made me a sandwich to naked.
Speaker 4: Now normally, you know, because I'm like, oh, I don't care, you know, like if it happens, I'm going to address it. But one time it happened, and this man must have been a bodybuilder and he was just in my refrigerator.
Speaker 2: He's like, hey, bro.
Speaker 4: I was like, what who are you? And he's like, man, I'm just a friend. And he's like you mind if I I.
Speaker 2: Was like, yeah, do your thing and he just walks by.
Speaker 4: I'm talking out of breath, sweaty, with the vitamin water on his hand, not a breath.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I was like, I moved out.
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 1: That was it? That was like the final straw for you.
Speaker 4: I was like, listen, if we can't follow simple rules, you guys, that's really easy.
Speaker 3: Put a shirt on, that's so easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe their plan worked to get gone, Like like, work yourself up, pretend you're out of breath, go out there.
Speaker 3: It's right control. We want him gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, your chest, it's gonna be great. I want that second bedroom.
Speaker 4: Now they have those conversation, they have this conversation about what Winston but once whence it's got going on, He's gonna he Ferguson needs to be neutered and so, but he needs to get himself laid right, Like he wants him to get laid before.
Speaker 2: You get some Yeah, it's like a little you know what I mean is that I don't Hannah, I don't have cats. You know what I mean? Is that like a real conversation or a thought before you go and neoter go? You getting neutered?
Speaker 1: No, I mean this is a This is a man, Winston who thinks he's got to spell out the word vet in front of the cat.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: Okay, he went the e T.
Speaker 2: You know, cats can understand that.
Speaker 4: I didn't understand the logic of that, because cats understand what we're saying when you give them commands, when you say things like.
Speaker 2: They run. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, boo to any cats? What are you doing to these cats when you're scratching?
Speaker 2: You get him out of here. They're always in my backyard, the strays. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So Nick and just say they need to throw a cat bachelor party to get him laid. They're laughing, But of course Winston, he's not kidding down. He is the greatest idea I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. Just then Schmid walks in with a sheet cake, the massive cake. Just in typical New girl fashion. One of the roommates stopped and had a cake made to celebrate Nick and justice one month anniversary. But Nick and Jess obviously don't trust him.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Nick says, after Schmid watched The Titanic, he started the Billy z Ain fan the Zaniacs, and that infuriates Jess. And then Nick walks into Schmid's room. Schmidt reminds him that usually one month into a relationship, Nick is panicky and he's overthinking. You know, he's distant, he's nervous, he's sweaty, he's overthinking, and he's also overthinking.
Speaker 1: And then great Max and where he's just like stirring them and stirring them.
Speaker 4: It's stirring them, and which is a real thing when you get into a person's head. The results that happen on New Girl are sometimes, you know, reflected in real life that can happen if you get into your head. Sometimes it just don't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 4: Never happened to me, Never happened to me. I just heard heard about it in an article that this happens to men. Sometimes they can't perform the way they want to perform. And so far it seems as if Schmidt's his plan to break them up is slowly working, because when Nick's in bed with Jess, it, like I said, it doesn't quite go the way he wants it to go, and she tries everything, which is, uh, what'd you say.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's the way she wants it to go?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yes, it is really right.
Speaker 3: In that line, I'm like, Wow, they got away with a lot of network TV and going down. I'm like, oh, I didn't know we could do that.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, and we're honest on that show. There was a lot of standards and practices like that were there all the time because I feel like that was also like Liz has a cheeky sense of humor, right, so she likes to kind of push it, and I was surprised how much we got away with in this episode two. I was like, wow, yeah, oh yeah, it was so funny.
Speaker 4: Though, what did she say, uh, the reverse psychology method, I'm not attracted to you, I think you're fat cut to her all blue Papa Smurf blue face.
Speaker 2: Then she punches him in the face.
Speaker 3: That was funny.
Speaker 4: So two episodes the episode prior he gets punched in his penis twice by CC and then this episode just punches him in the face. Now, the funniest part of that moment is which the next morning they're still awake as she goes, well the sun finally, Well.
Speaker 1: Get up brutal. I'm like, what's your approach now? Just to destroy this man into a thousand pieces.
Speaker 2: Okay, now we jump into some Ricky action here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he gets meat Ricky and fatty and fatty. Yeah what was that? Where did that come from?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but it was really Yeah, it was just one of those things where I just kind of looked at the lines, stayed up in the kind of camp was like I was. I felt like I was filming six minutes after I got the job. It was just very fast.
Speaker 1: Oh, here, you're in your pet store. Here's a fatty question.
Speaker 3: It was really.
Speaker 4: So at thet the French shop wizds asking the work.
Speaker 2: The cat that they have is slutty. Winston is so stupid.
Speaker 4: He starts a conversation with a woman customer there who is picking up her cat.
Speaker 2: Let's know who is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's ready.
Speaker 2: I didn't say it.
Speaker 4: And that's but that's the funny game in this in this episode is is I'm trying to get my cat laid and you are because you don't know the ways of Winston. He's a perfect stranger. You think, you think he's trying to get himself laid with you, and.
Speaker 3: I think it's going really well. Yeah, okay, let's skip everything, let's get right to it.
Speaker 5: I was at one point, yeah, I think at one point when you I forget the exact line when your character says you should bring wine and he's like, I don't think they want to.
Speaker 3: I love when you're like do you have all your parts? I'm like, like, what is it talking about? I guess.
Speaker 1: You know what is though. I feel like everyone's been in that scenario, right when you were like out in the dating world and someone says something that you don't quite understand, but you're like, oh, yeah, absolutely sure, I love that, but you don't know really what's going on. But you're just hoping that was like a non sequitor thing, and then it will just keep moving down this very obvious path.
Speaker 2: This happened recently to me. This happened recently. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was on a work trip, went on a what I thought was a date with a lovely young lady, and it.
Speaker 2: Turns out it wasn't quite a date.
Speaker 4: I based off of our interactions and our text messages of what was happening. I thought it was a date and it turns out not so much. And I didn't realize that until like three thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: Two thirty in the morning.
Speaker 4: It was like, wait, what oh, this is like an informational hank.
Speaker 1: Thank you information to give you informational hang.
Speaker 3: Ooh you don't do informational hangs late at night? Therese are like, no, was it eleven?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hit me up for coffee.
Speaker 3: I remember having a date where it was definitely a date, but we were I wasn't sure what he was talking about. He kept going, well, people like us, and he kept saying, well, people like you and me, well we and he kept having and I was like, I didn't know what he was talking about. And then he was like.
Speaker 2: And this was not that he's trying to recruit you to a white nationalist group.
Speaker 3: No, no, thank no, he wasn't. It wasn't like that. But he was like it was like not that long. It was like twenty eighteen or something. And he's like, well, he's like you said you're an actor, right, He's like, people like us, like we just will never get work. Well, it'll never happen for us. And I was like, oh, okay, and he's like yeah, you're like oh, I want to be in comedy. Well, you know, people like us, you know, just doesn't work out. And I was like, oh uh. And then I couldn't correct him. I couldn't be like it worked out for me, you know. I was like I had to be like, yeah, losers like us, it's just the world against us. And then I just crayed along with the fact that nothing was going right for either of us the rest of the date. And then I just went home.
Speaker 1: I was like, wow, approach will never be a success. Let's link up together. I'll also do no research on who I'm getting.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 3: We just like he was like Sandy, He like came right from the beach and sat down like you know, he's like, well, people like us. And I was like, this is a really weird date.
Speaker 4: You leave, there's a massive billboard view on the outside. Yeah, turn you ahead, don't look that way, don't look at.
Speaker 3: That's for people not like us. Yeah, it's really weird though.
Speaker 2: But you can't correct them.
Speaker 3: One. You can't be like it's going okay for me, you know, you just have.
Speaker 4: To be like no, absolutely not to We're gonna go on a quick little break here, but when we come back Hannah, No, we're not. We're not gonna We're not gonna play a guessing game. But when we come back, we're gonna talk about the remainder of this episode.
Speaker 1: Were talking about the Captain. We're getting to.
Speaker 2: The captain, okay.
Speaker 4: So what we're gonna have to do with these outlines is erase where's the bear?
Speaker 1: Hannah Becau, because I know you're so excited to just ask.
Speaker 2: Me every time because you're okay, you know what, Let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about it right now on the podcast for one second, okay, because here's the thing. I know we're not supposed to talk about the bear because I'm doing my own bear thing, but I just want to say Chicago brown bear.
Speaker 2: Okay, Chicago brown bear? Was that a picture of it? Like Schmitzery, sorry, talk about.
Speaker 3: He does the Chicago brown bear in the episode.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I just want to wed the bear.
Speaker 3: Where's the bear merch?
Speaker 1: Well, I think I'm going to earn my own bear merch when we do that final episode, and I think people are gonna buy it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: It is a big fan theory that there is a bear in every episode. Laburren says, no, I say yes, it was so much time on the podcast.
Speaker 3: I've heard that episode and there's definitely a brown Bear in this one.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: All right the break, Okay, well you got lucky, and we are back.
Speaker 4: We're back at the loft, Nick and jest. They eat cereal in silence. Jess says she talked to her mom and dad about this.
Speaker 1: She's a long working member.
Speaker 2: That's the one thing you don't do is tell anybody.
Speaker 4: But I could imagine for all those guys that had happened to that the significant other that they're laying with has told multiple people like Yeah, I don't think I don't I don't think.
Speaker 2: People are keeping that to themselves. Really, yeah, I just I don't know. There's something about it. It's a funny thing.
Speaker 1: I think you're telling us more about you. Yeah. The rest of that's something I would keep.
Speaker 3: To myself, except if it was like an ongoing problem. I might consult my best friend and be like, it's been three months if there was like a real problem. But if it was like one time, you know, I mean, if it was like one time, I don't think I would tell anyone. It feels like that's like a breach of the trust circle.
Speaker 4: Guys, relaxed. It was one time after I was I was out late. It was late, I was tired, I worked that day. Relax, you, guys, Relax. But she told her parents big no no. And justin Schmid, he exits a room and he lets just know that if she's hey, wait, I have.
Speaker 1: To just talk about this really quickly because Nick says he's got to move his car, and he says it multiple times during this episode, and it made me laugh out loud last night when I was rewatching, because I remember those days so clearly, when like I lived in my apartment for a thousand years here in la and it was a real thing of like it wasn't a made of you had to move your car. It was like eight a m. The street cleaners are coming. You're parked on this side and not on that side. You have to run down. You have to get in your car with everybody else's movie their car, and now you're just like running around the like little block trying to find a spot to put your freaking car. And that you got to look at the time and be like, wh do we have to move my car again? And it was a real thing, and it was such an la bit of writing that I loved so deeply because this show is like, you know, she chose to like to set it here so she could shoot l A for l A Liz, and so I was. I just loved that little bit because I remember it took me back to that, you know, like, what do you mean you don't you never to parcade?
Speaker 2: I've always a parcade.
Speaker 1: But you haven't.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of that.
Speaker 3: It sounds like that butter substitute parquet.
Speaker 1: It's a parkade, okay, that place?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I've never I've never a parking garage. Sure, parking a lot. Absolutely, I've never had to park on the street.
Speaker 1: That was like stayed at a friend's house and stayed overnight and then in the morning I had to like, move your car.
Speaker 2: I'm not moving That's true. I'm not moving my car. I'm leaving like I'm fleeing.
Speaker 1: I gotta go, all right. I took me back, I don't know, made me laugh so hard. I just remember that being like, oh God, I get help move my car.
Speaker 4: Now, Schmidt, he asks of the room. He let's just know that if she's having a nick problem that he could help her out. And now remember he is playing mind games. This man is manipulating the both of them. She doesn't necessarily see it coming. He tells her that his diploma was in communications, you know, but that he and his heart majored in Nicholas Studies, which gets.
Speaker 2: Her, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: He gets her, she got got, gets her.
Speaker 2: She got got and she just blurts it out.
Speaker 4: So now she's telling her not only did she tell her parents and then she didn't, she didn't told the man's best friend, that.
Speaker 1: Arch nemesis right now, Yeah, like he has declared himself as such.
Speaker 4: And so what he does is is he he tells her that the only thing that can get Nick going is a little a little dance move in the bedroom called the Captain.
Speaker 3: With dance move is putting it lightly. It seems to be way more involved. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like how every time he gets to the specifics he blends the blends the smoothie.
Speaker 1: Wild, gesturing oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. So I can only imagine it was pretty disgusting because at the end you have.
Speaker 1: To like, mind, how comfortable are you with racial may I swear? I was just like, what a what a line? What a thing? So let's your imagination do all the work. Let's all the viewers imaginations figure out what the captain is.
Speaker 4: For all the viewers and listeners out there, please put in the comments what you think the captain is and have you tried it?
Speaker 1: No? Thank you? Yes, no, I don't send that to Lamore and specifically.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I will definitely respond that, oh wait.
Speaker 1: The dolphin sounds. When he's like, you have no time to learn all the dolphins sounds. And then when they start and she gets in the room and the lights go out and then she makes whatever that sound is, I was, oh yeah. Meanwhile, there's also a bound situation happened with the two years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Winston's got some some R and B playing and some some cat nip on his.
Speaker 2: Hand and uh and then you come in right, you get it the cat You're ready, You're this is again this, You're ready.
Speaker 4: But he is like, okay, what are we doing with these cats where they have sex?
Speaker 3: I'm like, what.
Speaker 1: The cats don't drink. I like the fact that Winston is so fully oblivious. He has now mentioned several times about like I'm alone, I'm alone, I'm the fifth wheel. And now you when you watch this interaction, he has you go like, you've probably had lots of opportunities to be with people. She's like, how can you be this blink? This someone is in your bedroom, She is ready and willing, She's gorgeous.
Speaker 3: And I remember I remember asking like do I really make it that obvious? And I like, yep, I'm like okay, I'm like, am I down playing it? They're like, do not He's really that dumb?
Speaker 1: Is he really that dumb? He's really that dumb?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: People always ask me, they go, when was the moment that you realize your character was that dumb?
Speaker 2: And I always tell him it's this season. This season, I mean, just pure stupidity.
Speaker 3: Well, in this episode is kind of a three way dumb off between this is true, you know, you and Jake and Zoe, Like it's like they're they're believing this captain thing.
Speaker 2: They're you know, oh yeah, all three of them are Captain happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so then obviously nothing's happening in this room, but in next room just says they need to talk. She says that she was on post captain. This is post captain, so here they are post captain. They it looked, to be honest with you, it looked like it went.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what.
Speaker 1: I thought too. When they're mother lying there, I was like, looks like this was actually like a good time for them.
Speaker 3: But as we learned, they always say when it was, so that's like, that was very good. That was the time.
Speaker 1: Silence, the silence, that's true. We were like, oh, this was like a good thing.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 1: They didn't sit there and like give handshakes afterwards.
Speaker 4: So Suspect, well, she lets him know that she was uncomfortable with it, and and she wants to know how how does the captain normally go? And he tells her, what was wrong with you, I've never done that before in my life, that he only did it because he thought she wanted to do it, and just says she only did it because Schmidt told her it was.
Speaker 2: Nick's favorite thing to do. And then that's when, like, you know, the cat's out of the bag.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's like a usual Suspects moment where she like all of a sudden goes bump bump, bump bump, connects the whole things and she goes raging out of the room to find Schmidt, who was.
Speaker 4: Delighted yep, and just starts out of the room screaming she's gonna kill Schmidt, which she should because actually they should be in my opinion, they should be mad at themselves for the man told Jim, I am going to do everything to break you up, and then just start listening to everything that he's saying, like he brought a cake.
Speaker 3: It must not be true.
Speaker 1: Ye now eyeglass? What's the spyglass? I don't know what it was, but I don't I don't want to know. Please don't DM me anything.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know what that is.
Speaker 4: The captain goes a long way, man, I don't know. Has anybody ever looked that up? Have you ever looked Joel?
Speaker 2: Have we looked up? Like if anyone's tried this?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Dangerous aggressive, the dangerous google. I think that's important.
Speaker 3: There has to be a porn of the captain. There has to exist. It's rule thirty rule thirty two, right, that's what it's called. Yeah, there's a poorn version of it. So there's definitely a captain porn. It has to be.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I can only oh boy, I wonder if Jake actually acted in that.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that is nothing. I'm just like I I hope not because it sounds like it's like terrifying.
Speaker 3: Minimum fan fiction. Captain.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we're gonna find out, but I will not google that my algorithm. No, No, is there any.
Speaker 3: Wholesome ones that are just cute or they're all dirty?
Speaker 1: Wait? When did the I'm the Captain Now movie come out?
Speaker 2: Was it before?
Speaker 1: Were we ahead of the curve? Or is this a reference to who gets to be the captain and around that time? Yeah? Was it the same? Because New Girl was also really good at that If something was like really popular in the guys, that just like somehow weave it into the show.
Speaker 3: All right, where's that guy?
Speaker 1: You want?
Speaker 3: The Oscar?
Speaker 1: Where did he go?
Speaker 2: He? Wait?
Speaker 4: He won?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: He did? To know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I've seen him in a few other movies since then. But you know, sometimes one role is perfect for you. You know, you get that that lightning in the bottle right.
Speaker 2: There, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So Schmid then says, well, job done by enjoy your breakup. And this is a beautiful moment in the Nick Jess relationship because they go like, no, that's that's that's where that's a stay with us. We're just going to go right in and open up with our feelings. And that's really like this huge growth moment for like the Nick character to sit there and to choose the feelings.
Speaker 3: It was very sweet. It was legitimately. I was like, oh, that's so yeah, that was very nice.
Speaker 2: I thought that was sweet. Yeah, it was dumb. It was I thought that was dumb. It was dumb as hell. Maybe that's why I'm single and y'all married.
Speaker 1: Maybe he talks about that story. We sall like the zebra named Gavin at the zoo and a baby. He cried and he got like a penny to commemorate it, and he lost the pet cry. But it was just really sweet. And then they kind of like find their way through this moment. They don't let Schmidt defeat them, and then they make out and they're just like, we're back on and Schmidt, you see Schmidt like fully now crack oh, because that's it. He's out of ideas.
Speaker 4: He physically tries to break them up. He physically forces himself in between them as why would you just break up?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: And Schmidt obviously he's hearing noises coming from out I mean, Winston, he's hearing noises coming from outside of his room.
Speaker 2: And he gets pissed off.
Speaker 4: You know, it causes Ferguson to get up and walk away from the other cat, and he's you know, he's still stupid, so and all this, he's still dumb.
Speaker 1: No big moment of growth for Winston here.
Speaker 2: No, no, let's see the dumb off.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, because the other two come out of it, but you do not you do not know me. I leave and you just let me. You're like, mah.
Speaker 1: That moment where you had to like piece it together as a character, though, Ricky, I thought was so great because I you know how like sometimes people in a scene will just like say what they see. But truly, if you were just realizing that this man that you brought a bottle of wine, yeah right, sat in his bedroom, had zero interest in you and you were just there to watch your cats have sex, you would be so astounded. You would say very little yeah, like it would be so shocking. I thought, you just did like this incredible job of conveying of putting, like how it all came together in the brain and be like bye.
Speaker 3: And I decided decided that my character had had like this was like the eighth bad date she had she was just like, well, cool, like this might as well happen goodbye, you know. I was also so it wouldn't be us.
Speaker 2: About our loft.
Speaker 4: Every guest star ends up in the bathroom at some point, there's always a moment of like there, they happen to be there and for some reason, like there was no reason. That to me is probably more prevalent than the bear that a guest star must show face inside of our our weird beast.
Speaker 3: It's hard to shoot, and it's really small. They have very tiny and yeah, that's like you've.
Speaker 1: Been also always felt gross because of the urinals, even though they're just iver seeing somebody from like our crew, like sitting on one of the urinels like eating a sandwich at lunchtime, but they're just you know, because they're not you. It's fine, it's a seat, I guess sure. But I was just like, it's just makes me feel gross. This bathroom always just makes me feel gross, which is a shout out to the great department that built it that you can have those real feelings. Schmidt then starts to just pound birth control like a lunatic going full wheel so that they can't have sex because he's like taken their birth control.
Speaker 3: He lives in a world where condoms do not exist.
Speaker 1: Well, he cuts up, he cuts the condoms, and I think he knows that, like Nick's character is so broke, that's probably like a lot of his money, a lot of his money. He's like, I took all the condoms.
Speaker 2: You're done.
Speaker 1: I forget.
Speaker 4: I love the fact that after even after, even after she she is it's like the confusion is there that, oh, she wanted to sleep with Winston. Winston realizes this, and when he's upset, he's still not upset about that. He's upset that Ferguson.
Speaker 3: Didn't get even a second is he like, should I go see Noos in my apartment wanting to see with me? Should I go five seconds out of my way?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, just let that go forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So now we have a loft meeting.
Speaker 1: Funny, Yeah, a loft meeting. He feels the Schmid thinks he feels the effect of the birth control pills. Yeah, they've taken immediate effect. And now he's feeling all of these like feminine aches and pains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with his body around his body.
Speaker 1: But he realizes something. Now he can't break them up. He's got to deal with it. That's what just this. You got to just deal with it, right right, You got to face it. And then Winston says a very iconic line about a cat brothel, which makes me laugh.
Speaker 4: There is no way I have a cat brothel going on in my room and I'm the only normal person in his loft.
Speaker 1: Oh, very new girl moment. And then so then Schmid goes and I guess, leaves a letter we don't know what it says, and slides it under CEC's door. She gets it, reads it, and trashes it, and he sees.
Speaker 3: That it's a receptacle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's why she puts her gum in it. She's like, it means I don't like this gum.
Speaker 2: That's gross. What a what a asshole? CC is to Schmidt in this moment.
Speaker 1: You can't let it go.
Speaker 2: I can't let it go. I can't let it go because she you clearly have moved on quickly. I'm like this, man, listeness, man.
Speaker 1: But do you know they set this up in season one that Cec and Schmid have the same thing. Where physical intimacy is easy, emotional intimacy is really hard for them, and they're built the same way, And I think that's why you kind of see that. And that's also why like, especially for him, Like he's a unique character for someone to fall madly in love with. And I think that that's why they connect so much, because they get each other on that level. This ending though between Jess and Nick where they talk about the best month of their life and this is so wonderful in the relationship and now they're gonna go hook up again. But now Nick wands up talking about his feelings reminds me of when Bruce Willis did his character on Friends. Do you remember this with Jennifer Aniston? And she works so hard to get him to like open up about his feelings, and then he just won't get off the couch and just stops crying. And he starts crying about everything about his dog, him puppy edwhen he's a kid, And she's like, oh, no, what have I done?
Speaker 2: You know what's funny about this?
Speaker 4: Right before then when she comes in the room, he surprises her with this soundproofed room that he took egg carton. Oh yeah, the echts, Yeah yeah, they needed Rick, they needed your husband.
Speaker 1: I know they did pull circle.
Speaker 3: He hired to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, he yells, and then immediately Winston comes in.
Speaker 1: What's wrong?
Speaker 2: I heard yelling because the soundproofing just does not work.
Speaker 3: Also, how come he couldn't afford condoms but he could afford soundproofing.
Speaker 1: It feels like he went through. Here's what it looked like to me. It found like he just found stuff from like the recycling bin downstairs, the egg curtains, and then it looks like he got because she did a lot of sewing, Like it just looked like it was like random fabrics and I think it was like staple or taped to the wall like it doesn't it feels like, Yeah, it feels like a very Nick Miller. No, it doesn't look like this. He needed a whole husband, that's what he needed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with just on uh un buttons or shirt. While and it continues to talk about his feelings. He feels like you can see her in three D.
Speaker 1: He's feeling all the feelings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every one season three.
Speaker 4: D Oh my gosh, we're gonna go to a quick commercial break. When we come back, we will be back. If you're just tuning in. We are covering episode three four, and we are here with Ricky Lindham. We're about to do a little thing called the mess around. What's we're all gonna mess around with each other, not the way you're probably thinking, not like this episode.
Speaker 1: Nobody's thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Stop thinking about it. Stop thinking about it, Hannah, nobody, get it out of your head.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: So we talked about this a little bit because the first question is what do we think the captain actually entail?
Speaker 2: We didn't get into specifics.
Speaker 1: But do sounds have thrown me off? Like I can't even begin to imagine the weirdness if you have to turn the lights off and then act like a dolphin, Like I'm already out, Like I don't have that much weirdness in my brain to like to kind of build on what I think.
Speaker 2: I know, what.
Speaker 3: Do you think it is?
Speaker 4: It's like horizontal, you know, she's like this or yeah, or he's like this. He's on laying face up, and then she's here and she dolphins her way down and they dock.
Speaker 1: Oh, but what about the spyglass? What's the spy glass? Then?
Speaker 4: Well, because when she's up there, first she's got to go back and find where she's the docking port mm hm, you know what I mean. The and then she's the connector, if you will. And then she's got to figure out how to properly line it up and dock like a dolphin.
Speaker 2: Like, but she does. They do it dolphins, you know what I mean? Yeah, And every once in a while they yell out a racial slur. I don't know why to do that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I don't know that yourself up immediately part feels very strange.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like I feel like because it's you got to clean yourself up. It's such a slippery slope that that you could one could perform the captain at Ditty's house, but anywhere else they don't have the proper amount of baby oil.
Speaker 3: All a distraction technique. I think she like distracts him with weird stuff, like the way you're supposed to, like if you get, you know, cornered by a predator, you're supposed to say something bizarre to like throw them off for a second so you can get away. She like distracts him by doing all this weird thing, making weird noises, and then she uses a finger and then like doctor like gets it out and then before he even knows it happens. He's already cured and they can go back to normal. That's what I think.
Speaker 2: She pulls something out of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what do you think? Yes, yes, I don't know how dirty this podcast is. She pulls the thing she's supposed to pull out of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does like it.
Speaker 3: No, her fingers, she does.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what she was talking about.
Speaker 3: She digitally inserts she does a doctor. She doesn't rectal exam while she's distracting him, and then and the doctor captain. Yes, it's like it's it's like what you do to a bull or a cat.
Speaker 2: What it I've never been inside of a bull or a cat.
Speaker 1: The captain at the farm.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Well now now I'm really excited to see what Reddit has to say about.
Speaker 4: Then we should ask jj jj what do you mean by the captain?
Speaker 1: J Gbin wrote this right.
Speaker 3: J J.
Speaker 1: Cobn wrote this episode, directed by Fred Goss, Super funny humans. I'm sure there were discussions.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of what it could be.
Speaker 1: That's a fun one, all right, And what do we think Schmid? Wrote in the letter to see how grown do we think Schmid is? Do you think he took some accountability. Did he say he was really sorry? Do you think he could like he probably just.
Speaker 4: Said something like can we please talk or something something like that. He was he's not going to express his feelings in the actual cord. He's like, hey, this is a gesture. I would love to sit down and explain myself. And then she was just like, no, Jared is leaving my apartment right now.
Speaker 3: I think he wrote down exactly what uh Jake's what's his carc Oh my gosh, I'm banking total mom bring what Nick said. I think he wrote down what Nick said, thinking all that works talking about the zoo. He just wrote that down and was like, does that work for me? I think he took his story.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, do you like me?
Speaker 2: What if he wrote down a very detailed instructional manual on the captain?
Speaker 1: I know your love language. Let's fix the is in Leba drome. These are all very valid pitches, I feel like for what a Schmidt character would do, because who knows, He's making some wild choices this season.
Speaker 2: Hey Ricky, what shirt are you wearing?
Speaker 3: Oh? I don't know, the same as.
Speaker 1: Crazy that we had Taylor Swift on this episode. I mean she was Taylor Swift still at the time, but she was in like Taylor Sweat on the show episode Oh well yes sorry.
Speaker 3: On CSI, and I was like she had like that kind of small part. Yeah, it was like right near. It was kind of Romeo and Juliet Era. It was like she still had like very dark hair and she you know, she was like a victim in a motel no way, Yeah, she used to do.
Speaker 1: I had no idea.
Speaker 3: You know when like when singers have sort of like one hit and they'll give him like a couple of lines on something like it's like that, like maybe.
Speaker 1: You're out of town. I want to find that for sure. Now, I thought that her being a new girl was like her like TV. You know, I get a hit moment you.
Speaker 2: Put me on. Put me on one of your albums so I can get a hit and then I.
Speaker 3: Can go do you want to be I'm literally recording an album like this much.
Speaker 1: A good singer, Ricky, He's like genuinely a phenomenal singer.
Speaker 2: I'm not. Don't let her lie to you, but please go watch Saturday Night. It's in theaters now.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. Do you know I have not seen the movie since my son was born, except on a plane. Really haven't. Yeah, it's been two and a half years since I've seen a movie except if I'm on a plane.
Speaker 1: Are you going to go to the theater to watch this one?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: You can. You believe your kids in the car, It's fine.
Speaker 3: That's a famously responsible thing to do for your children.
Speaker 1: And then to announce it loudly on a podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, thank you very much for being with us.
Speaker 4: It was so fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and thank you for my shirt.
Speaker 4: I love it absolutely, And yes, Hannah and I both will be on the album. You just got to say the words say when and where and we don't.
Speaker 3: I would love go.
Speaker 2: Hannah got songs, Hannah got hits.
Speaker 1: Are you really gonna play it? Don't you dare play this right now?
Speaker 2: I'm not anything. What are you talking about, Hannah? I'm not you, Hannah.
Speaker 1: I sang a song for a Disney show that they sprung on me last second. They're like, you have to sing it. I was like, I can't. I genuinely am not a singer. I can't sing like I can't even pretend, you know, like I don't have that thing. And I'm not trying to be humble. I know where my talents lie. It's not there. And then I had to sing the song what was a song called? Again? It was called it was from the Mirror soundtrack and I.
Speaker 4: Were a goat, If I were a goat, Oh I remember that song if I were a goat.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Ricky, it's it's truly this embarrassing thing and al La Moore loves it. Okay, so this is what is This is his favorite thing now to play.
Speaker 3: It's so good, lots of auto tune. You weren't wrong.
Speaker 1: They were like, let's help this child.
Speaker 3: They should have played this when you won the Emmy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was your walk on song. That would have been the greatest moment of my life. I would have just been like, I'm leaving the world now everything were you? Ricky needed to be there to sit there whispered, someone's do this You'll love.
Speaker 3: It's a favorite song.
Speaker 1: It was in the show.
Speaker 3: I swear, yeah you.
Speaker 2: Don't remember that.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Instagram, Ricky lind home, same TikTok, YouTube, all the same. I've got a bunch of songs coming out soon. So and I have a show that's touring now called Dead inside. It's a one woman show about infertility. It is a comedy though, but I've been touring. I just did it at Edinburgh now I'm touring it. Yeah, I'm doing a solo musical.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's about the long journey to have my son.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well Grammy, Yeah that's right, ras Lamore now, yeah, it's exciting. Let us know when it's here in La. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, guys, thank you so much for listening. Be sure to follow us on IG The mess Around Pod and head to our website, The mess Around pod dot com. You can get your hands on these cute shirts we're wearing these episodes. Yes, Elene and Chivy Forever, forever Ever. We'll be back next week with episode three oh five, The.
Speaker 4: Bus that was The mess Around. This has been an iHeartMedia production. Our executive producer is Joel Monique. Our engineer and editor is Mia Taylor. Additional production from Daniel Goodman, Wendy Heisler, and Kyle Shevron. Our theme song was written and composed by Ronald Jukebox Jackson.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna catch you next time. Bye,