Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 3: It is Monday, November eleventh, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number sixty five. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break, Live from the s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star Wars presented by LGLG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years in counting See why at LG dot Com. Forward slash O led Evo. Welcome to the show. Nick is now kick Yeah, both of them like that. I didn't see to exactly. We're talking about the Detroit game last night. He had two kicks exactly that, like both just kind of scurred it right inside the upright. And that game was a good game though. That was a really really good game, and I just kept thinking, the team will be here next weekend. That's a good team right there. Both these teams are I think created in that same image of just tough. They'll battle you, they play physical like it's it's gonna be an interesting game. But we'll get to all that. We've got plenty of time to talk about that this week as we get read extra day. Yeah we do, because it's a Monday night game. So but but today it is our job to break down what we saw yesterday. Cowboys go down to the Eagles thirty four to six, a game that I you know, there's been a lot of games this year where in my opinion, the score didn't really reflect what you saw in the field. And to me, yes today was a similar thing, but for different reasons. Because what I saw from the defense in the second half, I mean the first half to me, isn't reflected in the score. I thought the defense played a pretty good game. But Philly put up thirty four points. A lot of that came on turnovers by the offense, but they put up thirty four points. What would be the storyline of the game for you guys, Let's start with you, Broy.
Speaker 4: It was I think that they found something with overshown as a rusher. I know we talked about it here and I'm going to try in a thirty four to six shellacking. I'm not gonna sit here and you know, and just beat down something that's already beat down. This team is not good enough. You saw it. Your talent coren area, especially right now at quarterback. You just can't compete with the quarterbacks you have. You know, you've had some problem. He had to make a spot start at offensive tackle. The left tackle. Kid did a great job. He had one bad play, had one bad play that ended up being a sack. But we've talked about on this show. Okay, now start to focus on some things, some positive things for some young players, or some scheme things you see different. I really appreciate the fact that Mike Zimmer came up with a scheme that really confused Hurts when it came to the double a gap look with the blitz putting three linebackers in the middle and then rushing one of them drop two and then mixing up who they were going to rush. So you're going to talk about positivity about as far as maybe some defensive stuff that going forward overshown as a pass rusher. I had a gut feeling that this guy and what's kind of unfortunate for him is the touchdown right before the half. He's got Hurts dead to rights and he usually doesn't miss in space like that. He just overrat He was so fast, I mean nobody picked him up and so he was so fast it hurts and Hurts did a really nice job of just what you see how many times we watch quarterback drills in training camp. We always work on, you know, taking the ball and avoiding, and that's what Hurts was able to do. But I'm looking at this, I'm looking at him as such a positive light on something that's been so wrong all year, you know, and I'm looking at I'm looking at awesome Richards getting a start at left tackle when now, how much reps did he really get? Maybe he got a lot of reps because of the the next problem, the next shoulder problem with Geyton, But he went out there and played a whale of a game. I mean, Mozzie Smith actually had three really good snaps where he looked like an NFL defensive tackle. You know, He's like extending, gets rid of Cam Jerg and just throws in basically on the ground, stops it up. You know, makes a player or two. You know, those are the things I'm looking for now because I know this team's not good enough. I just know they're not good enough, and the storyline is always going to be especially this year. The margin of error is so small. You just can't, you know, you just can't, you know, have anything. They can't. Nothing comes easy, but the margin mirror is really small. I mean, your kid out there at left corner, you know, the double move is killing him. Now he's now fighting that where they've realized that, Okay, you can't throw it at Digs because Digs makes a damn good play. They got exactly what they wanted on the route. I mean, it's going to be a touchdown. Digs is just like, nah, no, you're not. It's very similar to what Branch did to Dak in the Detroit game. It's like, wait a minute, your eyes aren't overlooking at that flat, it's looking inside. Hurts did the same thing and Digs made a hell of a play. So you know, those are the things you just kind of, you know, you kind of look at as a positive aspect from the team. Yeah, it's it does it's no good right now, just to can this team is what it is. You just now have to figure out what are the pieces going forward With a lot of time left. I mean, there are a lot of games I just don't feel they're going to do very good. But at least I'm going to now take the approach of like, Okay, it is what it is. You don't have your quarterback, find me the players that are going to be part of this future, and see how they play the remainder this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, yesterday for me marked the end of my grieving period of like, Okay, now I'm in acceptance and this is what we have and this is what it is, and that's it. Like yesterday, and I remember you post a question whether we should start looking into the draft and all that last week, but I was curious to see if anything would change as far as the game plan for the offense, and with you having a different quarterback, that did not change. You showed up with basically the same exact game plan and no adjustments, not type of any type of creativity. We've been talking about that word all throughout the season, but there was nothing different. Like, I haven't seen Mike McCarthy do anything different as far as a play caller, and when he has, like for example, that package that he threw Trey Lensing for the first time, it was like, what what are we doing here to It was interesting, but it's just okay, you've accepted this, outcome this and now you go into game. As far as me, you go into game just relaxed and looking for those moments, those exciting moments.
Speaker 2: That will occur.
Speaker 7: And it just goes to show once again, despite of what some people think about Micah Parsons, he's still a very important key player to these to this defense. It is very clear when he's on the field versus when he's not on the field, it changes everything. And I think the way that they used the marming overshown was clearly a new light there. And with the combination of Micah Parsons, I think it makes me feel more excited into like, hopefully Micah's future is here in Dallas and maybe the combination of this two together is an exciting piece for this defense looking forward. But also it just goes to show how important having a pass rush is to your game, and this is something that the Cowboy's defense has been lacking all year long, and it just changes everything. It's unfortunate that your defense did basically all they could do for you. But yet once again, you can all get into the end zone. You cannot score touchdowns. The offense is just unable to generate any kinds of points other than those two field goals by Brandon Aubrey.
Speaker 2: But you can't.
Speaker 7: There's only so much you can ask a defense when your offense is playing the way that it is.
Speaker 2: And they are gonna get tired.
Speaker 7: They did everything they could in the first half, So the second half, I mean, I'm not getting.
Speaker 4: Mad at the stop coming out of half. They went three and out coming out of half, and you're thinking like, okay, maybe you could find a way to get something going. I think your assessment is absolutely right.
Speaker 3: You know. The interesting thing is if you look at the defense, there really was only one point of consistent failure in my opinion right now, that was the corner I'm just saying position wise, that was the cornerback. They kept going to the same spot because they that's where they can go. But when you talk about the running game, which we talked about last week, they didn't really have the kind of day on the ground that you quarter are going to have. The quarterback killed you more. And I asked that question last remember I said, which one do you worry more about in the rushing game, and but I think that it was clear that they had a good game plan for how to bottle up Saquon Barkley a great day against them, But it was really more about that cornerback position. And that's where I look at this defense and I'm like, for me, the defense this year is all about injuries. The story of what we've seen is all about injuries. You give them both their cornerbacks, you give them their defensive ends, you give them the linebackers, and what they could have figured out with overshown, I think this defense plays a much different season, and I think they're okay. The baffling thing for me was what we saw yesterday with the offense and what we've really seen all season with the offense, which is a huge let down from the standpoint of what they were last year to what they are this year.
Speaker 4: Cooper Rush looked like a guy that never started in an NFL game yesterday. Yeah, you know, and that's that's the unfortunately shot by that. Yeah I am, because to me, when he came off the bench against Atlanta, man a beautiful throw down the down the field of ceedee lamb and all of a sudden it's CD. It just you know, it gets too far. They had one to Tolbert. Those too far, I didn't understand. To me, that looked like a guy that was very nervous about And maybe he was nervous. Maybe you've talked about the offensive line all year about it's the ability to protect, and maybe he was worried about Ausome Richards over there, you know, and maybe it's like get the ball. I'll get the ball, you know. But there were a couple of times where that he didn't get the ball out, you know, and you know, a veteran quarterback dropping a snap, a simple shotgun snap. They've got the play block. But you go back and watch it. They got the play blocked. It's going to be a toss going to the right. They got the thing blocked. He just catched the ball and hand it and hand it to or flip it to Dabble. That's going to be a positive play. But yeah, they to me, you know, you look at the interception that they had, the interception that that that Lance threw. Man, he's got no business throwing that ball because to me, you know, it's one of those things Tobert is just getting mugged. I mean, there's just I mean, you're thinking, okay, he's gonna win one on one ounce and that was a backup corner. You know, that's that's ringo that he's going on the backup corner. And he still didn't separate off that. You know, he's getting mugged the whole way down the field. And you know, Lance throws the ball and you're like going why And then you know that you mentioned Ambar about the stuff in the red zone, the fumble. You know, the fumbles happens. Even if even if he holds onto the ball, they're gonna get a holding call on span Fod. It's going to now make it second in you know, second and thirteen from the you know thirteen. So I mean it's it's our second goal from the thirteen. They just can't they can't stay out of their own way. I mean, they can't. They just can't. It's it's just hard for them to do anything with any I mean, the one they have like one drive a game where they look like an NFL offense, and then the rest of the time it's just it's it's just it's it's just disheartening. YEP, it really is all right.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take our first break when we come back. I want to talk a little bit deeper about Cooper Rush and if what you saw yesterday was more of a reflection of the game plan, because I don't think there were a lot of quick, quick check down type routes that they were running. Or do you think there were some opportunities downfield that he just didn't see, they didn't choose to take, or the pass rush got to him. We'll talk about that when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 3: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five g for you fifty deals.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 4: That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas.
Speaker 10: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think.
Speaker 4: They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car.
Speaker 10: You can take it advantage of Take five's stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: From the field to the festivities. Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starn Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 12: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for.
Speaker 3: Some epic tailgates.
Speaker 12: But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my mind, beer, handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Back to the.
Speaker 7: Break, lgoled evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said the lgoled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com. Slash oledevo Welcome Back.
Speaker 3: It is the second segment of the Break. Will life from that s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star presented by This segment is presented by blockchain dot Com. All right, let's talk a little bit more about the quarterback position. I haven't been able to watch the full game back, I've gotten about halfway through it. One thing that I did notice was that it seemed like a lot of the routes that they were running, a lot of the plays that they ran were designed plays to get the ball out quick. Is that what you've seen as well?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And do you think this was a situation where that was the game plan? Because maybe it's because of Austin Richards and they were a little afraid. Maybe it's because of the whole offensive line, because offensive line hasn't been great all year.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: Or is it a situation where there were opportunities downfield and and and Cooper just missed them.
Speaker 4: There weren't many opportunities down the field. They didn't try to throw the ball down the field. It was very reminiscent of the Atlanta game plan, where everything was short and hopeful run after catch. So there really wasn't anything of some you know, those massive deep shot. The one deep shot that they did take down the field. They well, they tried one on third down to Brooks that bounce. Then Cooper had a ball that was short, another ball that was short to Brooks. On the other sidelines. He had Ceedee Lamb open on a on a vertical route that they they missed. But other than that, everything was zero to nine and hope that maybe you get a broken tackle and get more yards out of it. Everything was pretty much quick at the quick, the curls, the hitches, some drag stuff, but nothing that that would give the Eagles. They they must have been really, really, really nervous about this pass rush, but I think for the most part they held up pretty pretty well, you know, for the pressures and stuff that they were a couple of times, like I say, we're you know that the one sack that that Austome Richard gave up. It was his worst technique of the game. You know, he was over the tops of his feet, he was overextended, he couldn't adjust, and it happened to be a sack.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: But that's you know, that's that they they needed to have something planned to go more down the field. I wish they would have tried to keep on running the ball a little bit more, but you know, the game gets out of hand for him. And once the game gets out of hand for him, then Mike turns into Okay, we have to throw it now, but we're not throwing it with any any type of purpose. You threw it with some purpose when Rush came in in the Atlanta game, because you had no choice. Well, yesterday it just it wasn't. It wasn't a very good game from recognition and acory standpoint. I mean, there was a time where they just remembering they run a route inside there. They had a couple of weird plays where they run the ball. You remember CD runs and doesn't see he doesn't turn around and get the ball. It's like they're running a screen. They're setting up a screen and Cooper rushed through it. Like it was a regular route.
Speaker 3: And CD was actually looking he was.
Speaker 4: Blocking the block, and you got lineman peeling out and a bat and you got Dabele is like checking and then going to his right, and now the ball is being thrown over the middle of the field and Lamon even looking for the ball, and you're like, going, the hell was that busted play? But everybody else is running screen but the quarterback right, so you know, I mean, it's the one guy that needs to run the screen is not running the screen. And then he had the throw. They had a double they had a double end cut. He threw the ball too high to Tobart early in the game. It almost got intercepted h Tolbert's open and if he doesn't like Tobert, he's got Turpin right behind that. And a throw that he made in the Atlanta game on four down inside to get a first down. He passed on it, but he threw the ball way too high and over the top of Tolbert's head. He just looked like a quarterback that it was making his first start, and that's unfortunate because he's he's played quite a bit. When you when you think about, you know, for a backup quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's some type.
Speaker 7: Of disconnect happening there because and we again we talked about it last week. You expect your backup quarterback to be ready to go and not looked like that, especially for a guy like him who has done it before.
Speaker 2: And I the crazy thing to me is that there wasn't It didn't.
Speaker 7: Look like a big, like much of a drop off between your starter deck and then Cooper Rush and then Trede Lance to add him to the mix. And that just goes to show One, I'm not gonna talk about the play calling because I keep mentioning that I've hated the play calling all year long. But two, it once again illustrates your point, Derek, with this offensive line, and I'm not trying to put everything on them, because obviously a lot of it falls back into the quarterback and some of the decisions that they're making. But at the same time, it seems like you need so much protection in order for you to try to get anything going for this offense. And whoever the quarterback is behind that line, and I don't know how you solve this quickly. It's not gonna happen. It doesn't seem it's gonna happen this year, even though there are moments where you see players have good blocking and all of that. But at the same time, it's just I think maybe this is something that is starting to be just creating some panic mentally that you feel like you're gonna get attacked, somebody's gonna come brushing, and it's just like it doesn't allow you to fully focus on what you need to do and like fully look at what's happening on the play and on the field.
Speaker 2: But there's so many layers to this.
Speaker 7: Because then that leads me to think, also, while we've talked about the separation and the wide receivers, the receivers trying to find some separation. So it's just like a crazy combination of everything happening all that once.
Speaker 3: But I also think, and this is me just looking at the separation issue, if you want to just focus in on that, I don't think the types of routes that they're being asked to run lead to situations where they're going to get much separation. They run a bunch of stick routes, a bunch of just like it's it's they're not designed like there was a Philly played a lot of men yesterday, and I'm like, why are they not doing more crossing routes to be able to take advantage of that. But even when they did run crossing routes, it was one of those situations where a quarterback early in the game, there's one crossing route I think it was CD, and he had some separation. Yea quarterback never saw him, never got the ball to him. By the time he did get the ball to him, it was a little too late the defender it caught up. And so it's like, there's always something that kind of messes up whatever you're trying to do. I don't think they have they don't run enough routes consistently enough. They give their wide receivers an opportunity to create separation, and then when they do, quarterback doesn't see it in time, don't get the ball out, or pressure gets there sack right. It's like there's always something. But I don't think the separation issue is just about receivers not being able to get free. I think a lot of that is about how they're they're what they're being asked to do, the routes are being asked to run.
Speaker 4: Here's a scary thought we've already started talking about the draft and Travis Hunter from Colorado. Yeah, you just even wonder if if you had if you had Travis Hunter in this offense, would you be able to run routes to take advantage of how good he is playing on the move? I think there's there's some there are some issues. You do not have a two on this, but you don't. You just don't, you know. And and when you look at you know, when you look at it, though, they need somebody that's really more explosive than what they've got. The the thought of maybe, well, you know, well, it's Cooks, it's Tollbird, it's Brooks, it's it's really just Lamb, it's they They they might have to completely relook at this wide receiver room and it but they might look at it and then they might not be able to completely turn it over. But it might turn into maybe a different and and and we'll see, We'll see what happens at the end of the year. Because somebody might come in here and have an idea of like, Okay, this is how I would use this is how I would use Tulbert, or this is how I'd use Turpin, or this is how I would use lamb. You know, they they they You're right, the stick routes, the hitches, the the curls. There's nothing that gets these guys on the move where you know. I mean, like I said, the one that passed that they got guys on the move, the passing over through the middle of the field of Tolbert, they had him and Turpin both breaking inside and both are open. So all of a sudden you get separation. You get what you want, but you can't complete the pass yep, you know what that's That's sometimes the issue here that you actually get something you want, but then something else happens to keep the play from being We've talked about some of these screen passes, like if they could just complete the screen, it's going to be a huge game. But no, they don't get the block they need, or the guy the back sets inside instead of setting outside. You know, it's a lot of things with this team.
Speaker 3: You know, another play where I think route running and recognition got got someone open and then the play just fell apart. Was the play that everybody's talking about with the light that Yeah, if you notice, if you watch Ferguson, Ferguson actually ran a really good route there because he was going out, he was double covered. He quickly shot back in side. That's why he was where you supposed to. I don't think it was designed like well. I think he went back to an open space and he probably could have cut that ball, I think, but he was back into an open space. If the quarterback throws him and hits him with that pass, that's a touchdown.
Speaker 4: It's easy.
Speaker 3: And it was a great route. Recognizing he has double covered, you keep going outside and you have double coverage, shoot back into the inside, and that's what he did, and it just ends up.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it's funny because he was double covered and I think the rush wanted to go to him initially and he and he got caught. He saw the flash of or cd CD went from shadows into a little bit of sun to being all my son to being on the sun or the light, right, I'm sorry, just the light. But so if you if if the if, the if the throw off the jump is cd CD in the before he gets to the light, it's a touch right, because so now he's in between and I think Cooper got caught in between. Do I throw it to Ferguson because of the double coverage or whoa wait a minute, and now he's kind of like, you know, doing one of those, and you know, Lamb is kind of like, honestly, you know, it was tough. It was tough down there, It really was.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it just this feels like one of those things that you start pointing out one thing, but then that thing leads you to another thought, and it's just another thought and then you just keep going in the same vicious circle that you're just start going crazy, like there's no easy, quick solution here and it's just not one piece or there's so many different components and like, like you said, that's a clear example. And we've seen another one that when they or also we talked about this on the break, I think on the actual break between commercials.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we're on the break.
Speaker 2: We are on the break.
Speaker 7: But this whole thing, like when they do have something that's kind of working for them, they stop and it's just like it just doesn't make.
Speaker 4: It any Philadelphia was having some problems during the year of defending the draw and then the nineteen yard run you had was a draw play because they're so they're so conscious of getting up the field and then you get blockers in place, and then you know you've got a tough runner and you know they're able to gain yards. But there were some opportunities you just you just it gets away from you. And I can say that that affects the play caller.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're gonna take our final break. We'll come back. I got to ask you guys about what happened with the package for Trey Lance. We'll talk about that when we come back, and we got it before we end the show. We got to spend a little time on De marveon overshowing that man just had a day yesterday, especially in the first half. We'll talk about that when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 13: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg Ole led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 4: No one comes close.
Speaker 3: Lg Ole led Evo is the best TV.
Speaker 4: In the game.
Speaker 13: For a reason see for yourself at LG dotlash oh leed Evil.
Speaker 6: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge.
Speaker 4: On and off the field.
Speaker 6: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 14: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even tastier.
Speaker 3: It's a pepper thing and we're going to overtie Erica. How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 5: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitor for qualit assurance, message, data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast reliable Secure.
Speaker 4: Five G requires compatible plan and device.
Speaker 3: Five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you food else.
Speaker 4: Back to the.
Speaker 2: Break ATNT Connecting changes Everything.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. Final segment of the Break live from the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star. Let's talk about Trey Lance yesterday when he got into the game, his four six sixty seven percent completion rate, only twenty one yards passing, one interception, thirty two point six rating.
Speaker 4: He took, He gambled, he did, He gambled that his guy was going to get there, and this guy just could not get there.
Speaker 3: But he did have three carries for seventeen yards. My question was more no, why to me? Yeah, exactly, But my question was more why was the timing weird for everybody else when they decided to get him in Because we've been talking all week about the possibility of a package. My thought is it's a critical down. My thought is you're in the red zone. My thought is, like, there are moments in the game where it makes sense to trick it up a little bit starting a series, bringing him in for two plays where one of them he runs, which okay, great, and the other one he hands the ball off. Felt a little weird to me.
Speaker 4: What do you guys think you got anything?
Speaker 7: Embar just random that just okay, you know, things just come out of my mouth sometimes be careful. Well, it's just one of those things that you just say, nothing is working. Let me just throw him in there and see if it were like it just goes to me, it just illustrates the how do you say when you're not prepared, the lack of preparation, the lack.
Speaker 2: Of you knowing your team and.
Speaker 7: What your strengths and weaknesses are, like that just is just you trying to make something out of nothing, but without a plan, just hoping that something will work out. So it's just to me, just illustrate its lack of preparation there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that it's it's difficult because you were behind and maybe the opportunity. Now, let's be honest, so too, we've seen Trey Lance down in the red zone and training camp, and we've seen him in preseason games and stuff, and it hasn't always been successful. Maybe where maybe where the opportunity to put Trey Lance in there is once you've got the ball down there, you know, the Zeke fumble that maybe that would have been the opportunity, like, Okay, let's let's see how well they really defend the read option here. You know, let's see if they can. You know, you're throwing something different. You're thinking, oh, it's Cooper, gonna be Cooper Rush. We're going to put you know, we have to defend the pass. All of a sudden, you throw a her ball at him and you say, Trey Lance. Now it's the thread of he's going to ride it, you're gonna crash, and now he's gonna walk in. That's where I would have tried to do something with Trey Lance, just maybe. But it might also be where they're thinking, well, we've seen not great things. I mean, the Vegas game was one of his better games when it came to dealing with that. It looked like it was a much more improved player than it was against the Rams, which again another preseason game. But if you're in your mind, you're thinking, God, could he make a mistake down here? Well, if you knew that Zeke was going to fumble the ball, you would have probably just said, well, just go and play Trey Lance and let's see what see what happens. I think you have to kind of find ways two a way to have used him in certain situations where it made it like, okay, let's put the thread of it. It's a third and two where it's a you know, you never really got in these situations. Seemed like there were a lot of long yard situations yesterday. So I would have kind of just tried to find spots where it made sense to maybe make the Eagles have to defend the run and the pass right and instead of just putting him in. But to me, now, I'm interested in playing him the rest of the way. And I'm interested in playing him the rest of the way and then trying to run a college offense. Make people have to prepare for the read option, make people have to, you know, to do some things. You know, with his running him that design run, he had direct snap drop back, you know, direct snap drop back, boom, eleven yards. All right, here we go. That's design runs. Those are good plays, you know, those are I think those are what we need to see going forward with Cooper Rush. I I just I just the upside of it there, I don't see it. I would rather give me more options, more elements to maybe moving the football. And that's why I think I would play.
Speaker 2: Trailer because I feel like we know what Cooper Rush is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he and he was an that that I didn't recognize that guy yesterday though, But again I.
Speaker 7: Think some of it attributes to the offense in general being so often what he had then and you know that was very different from that year when he was being the backup during Dax's injury. But with Trey Lance, there is a whole unknown yet that we have. We're still we still have quite a few question marks around him and hoping to see maybe at some point it starts clicking. Because he does have an arm like he he can make he can throw some really good passes, but it's just so inconsistent. And then you add into the mix his ability to run. That's another thing that I thought there was a lack of usage yesterday. What I would have liked to see more intention behind it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the way the way to maybe beat Philadelphia yesterday was running the football. And if you could have done it with Trey Lance and then done it with Rico Daddle you know, and maybe you've done it with some jet sweeps with Turpin or whoever else that might have been the way. Maybe it's not a thirty you know, maybe it's not a thirty four to six game. Maybe it's a twenty one sixteen game or twenty four to sixty. It's not a you know, something that looks because the three and outs just kept killing the defense every time that they went three and out. You know, I mean, here's McCarthy, they get the interception with Digs and they go three and out and you're just like, you just put your defense back out there after making a great stop. You don't even give them time to get a cup of gatorade and catch their breath. You put them right back out there again. And that's the unfortunate thing about it is needed. They needed balance, and because we interviewed Tracy Wolfson from CBS before the game, and you know, she talks to the coaches and stuff, and that's the one thing they're saying, Hey, we have to have some balance. These losses they just have no balance.
Speaker 3: And I mean, let's be honest too, Like I think the probably because the team has played so poorly. I think one of the major things about yesterday that really hasn't been talked about, but to me is probably the biggest thing and why they lost is five turnovers. Yea, like unless you're yeah, unless your a Lion's from last night when that had figured out a way to get a win on the road, Like you you have five turnovers in a game and you lose the turnover battle five to one, like the likelihood of you winning unless you're just a really really good team, which Dallas has not proven to be this year. Like that's that's the story of the game. I mean that that defense just got to put into too many bad situations for them to continue to hold. And they were playing really well, but when you're getting the ball, when the other team is getting the ball on your twenty, like it's just like, come on, there's not much.
Speaker 6: You can do with that.
Speaker 7: And that's the upsetting part. When you see your own defense finally doing something getting the ball back for you and you're still unable to do anything.
Speaker 2: I mean that that's exhausting. I can only imagine how they felt.
Speaker 4: That after that interception that they got. They know, just get him two first downs, get you kill. Kill. About five minutes off the clock, you know, six minutes off the clock if you can and give the defensive chance to regroup, you know, they but I will say is defensively, Mike Zimmer did some things yesterday that I was like I said early in the opening that I liked with the blitz packages and I liked with him getting over shown involved in they and they think so going forward, that to me is a positive thing. Offensively, I can't really think of anything other than the fact that Austome Richard's on a probably on a spot start, played really really well for at left tackle.
Speaker 3: Speaking of overshowing, obviously he had a really great game that we don't know what the injury is. It sounds like it's not that serious.
Speaker 4: He is the game. In the post, he sounded like he was ready to be ready to play.
Speaker 3: He did come back in the game, he said. I think it sounded more like they precautionary, precautionary thing to kind of just pull him for the fourth quarter, because at that point they're like, it's not going to change anything, but just looking at him and how they use him, Like, what are your thoughts about him for the rest of the year, knowing that, like, how do you how do you feel about a player like him who's relatively young.
Speaker 4: He's a rookie.
Speaker 3: Playing really well, right, playing really well, but you also like you're putting him out there in games where you know you're you're using him and using in a lot of different ways. How do you worry at all about his his health going down the street?
Speaker 4: He plays nine hundred miles an hour. Matter of fact, he there was a pass play that the one ball on a third down that went to Berkley in the flat, and and and then and Kendricks was kind of hesitating. Man thirteen comes flying from the middle of the field and he misses the tackle and he blows up Kendricks. I mean, Kendricks is like standing and just got hit by a car, you know, goes flying back. That's just how this kid plays you you. You know, Mike even talked about it after the game. How the energy that he plays with, the passion that he plays with. You know, that's just he's just a great example of what this defense could be, you know, with him and Micah. You know, I'll tell you Carl Lawson played well again for you today. So you know, you've got some guys that are really on the defensive side of the ball. That gave some great effort and unfortunately didn't work out for him. But the thing with overshown, he plays so hard that there's probably going to be games where he's sitting on the field and you know, doctor Cooper and everybody in Britt Brown and Jim Mauer running out to make sure he's okay, and then he's going to pop up. You know, that's just how he plays. He's one of those types of guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, very very aggressive and one of the few bright spots on the team right now. That gives gets you excited because the great thing about him is him being out all year last year, then coming back from the injury. Since the moment he got back on the field, from the beginning of the season, he's been impactful and he the good thing. He's had bad moments too, we've seen that, but again, his arrow keeps trending upwards. Everything since week one till now, you keep seeing him improve and improve and improve.
Speaker 2: So that's just very very exciting to see that.
Speaker 7: And then now, like we talked about at the beginning, with the addition of Mikey Parsons coming back and just seeing what that looked like with those packages and seeing how he can now start to shine in a different way in this defense and create those pressures. It's just it's amazing and it does worry me. I mean when he was down there, I was typing something and I asked you there on my way, who's down he said overs.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, oh my god. My heart stopped for a moment there.
Speaker 7: So it's one of those things that at this point, yes, you worried completely because he's so aggressive in the way that he plays, and now, based on how the season is trending, you know it is most likely not gonna happen this year, so you don't want to.
Speaker 2: Make him be out there.
Speaker 7: But then this is what they pay you for to You know, you're you're gonna have to play. You gotta get in there and keep playing.
Speaker 2: So it's just you. You're just gonna have to help it.
Speaker 7: By the way, Nick is not here today, but I did see someone Remember when Nick decided to open his mouth saying that over shown is the one that hasn't gotten heard yet.
Speaker 2: Remember the moment that he jinx it. Someone twitted on me saying that's a niggas.
Speaker 7: So if if something ever happens, or we'll see if he seems to be okay.
Speaker 4: This is another good game too from Osa.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's two in a row where.
Speaker 3: He well yeah, absolutely, all right. We appreciate you guys going. So we're back tomorrow. We'll get a bigger picture. Look, man, talking about this NFC East is getting interesting. Thursday night got a big NFC East matchup between the Commanders and the Eagles. That'll be I think that'll be for first place in the division.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Philly is a half game up right now. Washington's not had their buy yet.
Speaker 3: Yep. All right, but uh, but we'll talk about a lot of stuff tomorrow. We'll have a lot of different topics. We'll hit some player evaluation. There are a couple of players I want to talk about that came out of this game and how they performed in this game. We'll do that tomorrow too. Then for Brian brodus inn Ambergarci, I'm Derek Gield and this has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.