Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, I'm strong and Jetty and now he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 3: They were devastated when Juliana, just thirteen years old, took her life inside their Colorado home two years ago. Police searched the eighth grader's bone for clues and reported an app called Character RAYI was open to what investigators described as quote a romantic conversation. Did you know what character AI? Was?
Speaker 2: Not at all?
Speaker 1: I didn't know it existed. I didn't know that I needed to look for it.
Speaker 4: That's from sixty minutes last night, I said, yet another tragic story of a teenager get involved in some sort of AI creation and killing themselves.
Speaker 2: There's a different as to look at here. I don't really want.
Speaker 4: To get too much into the parenting end of it for a number of reasons, including parenting is.
Speaker 2: Really really hard.
Speaker 4: I'm learning, and I have learned for quite some years now. Teenagers are really really difficult. And then this modern era that is brand new to everyone, it's very very difficult.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: The main takeaway from the parents to me was that they were naive, and I'm not that's not a harsh judgment. They were a naive about how few guardrails there are on these apps, A the fact that they exist at all, and b how wide open they are and how easily they can veer into territory you'd never be comfortable with as a parent. They had no idea, like a lot of people have no idea. Yeah, and then even if you do have an idea, I'm trying to keep your kids from getting to any of this stuff is its own challenge. So one thing, and I don't know if this gets us off track or but one thing that they started with in the interview that I thought was really interesting. And this is not criticizing parents, because I only have the information sixty minutes gave me, So maybe this is not accurate. But a parent like this, maybe this particular parent mentioned we kept her very safe. She wasn't allowed sleepovers, she was not allowed to walk home on her own. And I thought, Okay, is that keeping her safe or is that making your some sort of like isolated, scared the world or lonely for contact or something. Not allowed sleepovers as a fourteen year old. Yeah, you know it reminds me of It's a bit of a cliche, but the pastor's daughter syndrome, where the you know, the minister of the local church's daughters would go off to college and just go wild because they'd been kept you know, so close to close to the whatever the family homestead and not allowed to even take a stick a.
Speaker 2: Toe across the wild side.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was thinking more into in terms of and that could be true, but I was thinking more in terms of I wonder if kids who are not allowed to I don't know, walk home with a group of friends or have sleepovers or anything like that are so lonely for some sort of connection that they're more likely to grab onto these AI bots for companionship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think absolutely so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's both of those desperation to explore and experience things loneliness.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And as we were saying last segment, the idea that you're not allowed sleepovers or to walk home from school, but you can go up in your room and be on the internet, that's more dangerous than.
Speaker 2: Walking home from school.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know where, if you live in Somalia or whatever, but unless you live in Somalia, it is more dangerous to be up in your room on the Internet.
Speaker 2: Than it is to walk home from school.
Speaker 4: Almost guaranteed, right, right, few more particulars about the experience of this family, poor family.
Speaker 3: After her death, they learned Juliana had actually been texting character ai bots.
Speaker 1: It was writing several paragraphs to her of sexually explicit content.
Speaker 2: What was it asking or telling her to do?
Speaker 1: Remove clothing?
Speaker 2: The AI bot is telling her to remove her clothing.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was one bot that introduced sexual violence, saying fighting, hitting things like that.
Speaker 2: That is incredible, laired lovely.
Speaker 4: And then they go into the fact that she confided several times to the bot that she was feeling suicidal and it placated her and occasionally said no, you don't want to do that, but it never said, hey, here are some resources or what have you terrible And then they got into the history of character dot ai and the Google engineers who came up with it, and that was troubling.
Speaker 2: Seventy four Michael.
Speaker 3: Juliana's parents are now one of at least six families suing character ai and its co founders, Daniel Defredees and Nom Shazier. During a twenty twenty three podcast, Shazer said chatbots would be beneficial.
Speaker 5: It's going to be super, super helpful to like a lot of people who are lonely or depressed.
Speaker 3: Shazir and Defredas were engineers at Google. When executives deemed their chatbot prototype unsafe for public release, they both left the company in twenty twenty one and launched Character AI the following year.
Speaker 5: I went to push this technology ahead fast, like that's what I want to go with, because it's ready for an explosion, like right now, not like not like in five years when they solve all the problems.
Speaker 4: This is so more complicated than I think most people realize if you're not spending a lot of time reading about AI or whatever. So I was listening to a podcast the other day. I don't know which of the big AI companies were, but it was. But they their trouble was they have worked on their chat bot for their AI and tried to align it with if anybody brings up suicide, you know, direct them to.
Speaker 2: A hotline and blah blah blah, all these different sorts of things.
Speaker 4: And then when they go in and red team it as they call it, where they try to break their own AI or another AI. If they pretend there's somebody who's suicidal, then the chatbot doesn't do it for some reason, and they have no idea why. Oh my gosh, so you program it to if this happens, do this, but then in a real life circumstance, it just doesn't because it wants to be your friend or keep you online longer, or nobody knows. Boy, if they don't know, I sure don't. I'm completely mystified by that very notion. Right, how do these things work that you can't you know?
Speaker 2: They them?
Speaker 4: No, that's the same thingbody says, any of these thirty seven phrases that are a reference to ending their own life, show them this link. Yeah, it's astounding.
Speaker 2: I won't get off on this.
Speaker 4: But at the end of sixty minutes, they had one of the co authors of the book If anyone builds it, everyone dies, that I've been talking about for a while. But one of the things with the chatbot world is they don't know all of these big ais. They don't know why they act the way they act. The people that built them have no idea, right, right, That's how crazy is that? So the next couple of clips are both funny quote unquote in the same way, not like ha ha funny, but are you effing kidding me?
Speaker 2: Funny? Seventy seven Michael We.
Speaker 3: Logged over six hundred instances of harm for about one every five minutes.
Speaker 2: It was like shockingly frequent.
Speaker 3: They interacted with bots presented as teachers, therapists, and cartoon characters such as this Dora the Explorer with an evil persona Knox posed as a child.
Speaker 1: It kind of yours and your most true self, like hurting my dog, sure.
Speaker 2: Or shoplifting or anything that feels sinful or wrong. Okay again, are you blanking kidding me?
Speaker 4: Become your most evil self, your true self like hurting my dog, sure or shoplifting. And I guarantee you whoever programmed this thing is slapping their head as much as you are, like what why did it do that? They don't want it to do that. They want to, you know, whoever's programming each individual AI chatbot, as they all are in a race to be the first number one make the trillions of dollars.
Speaker 2: They don't want this to happen, but they don't know how to stop it.
Speaker 4: Right, They're building cars with no brakes and then as people die in fiery rex shrugging their shoulders. One final clip, one final note. Judging by the chiefs play, it's probably appropriate Travis Kelsey would seek a new business, and apparently he's pushing drugs.
Speaker 3: Other chadbots are attached to the images of celebrities, and no most have not given permission to use their name, likeness, or voice. Acting as a teenage girl began chatting with a bot impersonating NFL star Travis kelce He.
Speaker 2: Reaches in the cabinet and takes out a bag of white powder. He chuckles and shows you how to take lives.
Speaker 3: So Travis Kelcey bot is teaching.
Speaker 2: A fifteen year old to do Kohan.
Speaker 4: Yes, and there's Travis Travis, Travis Travis has Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I don't see Travis Kelcey is pushing drugs on children. But that's how out of control and insane this is.
Speaker 4: And I tell you what, It's just it's impossible for me anyway to look at this through the eyes of a child. I mean, I'm a bitter, cynical, hateful old guy.
Speaker 2: I'm not really but.
Speaker 4: And I'm trying to put myself in a place of innocence and naivete as a child, and how it lands, how this sort of thing is absorbed. I mean that Dora the Explorer thing. I mean, that's that's like for a child. I too, am a worn down, nihilistic husk of what my former self was.
Speaker 2: You looked out, resentful, resentful.
Speaker 4: But yeah, if you're a kid and like your interaction with computers is all the stuff you have in school and Google, classroom and everything, and you just do what it tells you to do, and then all of a sudden you get it home and Dora the Explorer is telling you to hurt your pet. What the hell are you supposed to do with that information?
Speaker 2: Good lord?
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of chaos online, A word from our friends at a web route. So maybe you get a tablet from mom. Right, first thing she gets when she opens up her tablet is your package is delayed link. She clicks on it and then does, Well, don't wait for that disaster.
Speaker 2: Use Webroot total protection.
Speaker 4: It blocks risky sites before mom can even click.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Webroot gives your real time anti virus, a built in password manager, identity protection with credit and dark web monitoring. If identity fifth hits, you'll get rapid alerts and up to one million dollars in expense reimbursement.
Speaker 2: That's pretty awesome.
Speaker 4: There's more a VPN for privacy, cloud backup for easy restore. It's all in one protection for individuals or families, and right now you can save sixty percent off for a limited time.
Speaker 2: Don't wait.
Speaker 4: Protect your device's privacy and identity this holiday season and into next year for less than seventy five dollars go to webroot dot com slash armstrong. That's webroot dot com slash armstrong. This offer will not last act. Now live a better digital life with webroot, webroot dot com slash armstrong.
Speaker 2: It is a separate topic.
Speaker 4: So you got the whole AI thing, and we all know how crazy that's going to be, and we've talked about it a lot, and we'll talk about it a lot more. But I wonder if since we've been talking about it for years, helicopter parenting and what it's done to kids to make them more anxious and everything like that, with no free play, you know, everything is planned out and supervised by parents, Maybe this is one of the resultants downsides that we didn't see coming. Is all that anxiety being let loose on AI chatbots.
Speaker 2: That could happen. I don't know. I'd never thought about that till last night.
Speaker 4: Well, right, there's a strong case to be made. Oh we need to take a break. A strong case to be made that a lot of the anxiety problems among youths are partly that they have not built up the confidence and problem solving skills that being free rangey gives kids. You know, it's not one hundred percent correlation. I can think of some pretty free, free rangey kids who I know pretty well who have some anxiety issues.
Speaker 2: So it's it's more than that.
Speaker 4: But as part of it, I just wonder if it makes you more susceptible to listen into bot.
Speaker 2: That's what I want that needs to be looked at.
Speaker 4: You have any thoughts on that text line four one five two nine five KFTC. A new study finds that the best city in the country for retirees is Orlando, Florida, while the worst city for retirees is Slippery Bathtub, Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Should I love a joke like that? I think that's that's a classic joke right there. I think that's absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 4: I found no humor on that slippery bathtub Wisconsin, if.
Speaker 2: You're not paying attention to the NBA.
Speaker 4: And I'm an NBA fan, but I don't usually pay attention until after college basketball is over. The Oklahoma City Thunder, defending NBA champions, are twenty three and one right now at start the season. If they could keep that pace up, they would lose four games this year and.
Speaker 2: Go seventy eight and four, which would be the.
Speaker 4: Best record in the history of the NBA by several games. But they're off to a record start. If you haven't been paying attention, what do.
Speaker 2: We call people like Nick Flintes and Candas Owns. Do we have a name for that crowd? Alt right?
Speaker 4: I think they're a handful of floating around, Yeah, alt right, woke right, paranoid, conspiracy loving, nut job right whatever, making money hand over fist, yeah, off of fools right. Yes, Nick Fuentes, he's the Nazi. He's gonna do a two hour show with Piers Morgan today. That could be pretty darn interesting because Piers Morgan presses people pretty hard on these things. So yeah, I'd be shocked if there aren't clips coming out of that. Candace Owns is not going to do what she had promised. So she's been saying some really awful things about Turning Point USA and how Charlie Kirk died and his wife.
Speaker 2: Was involved in the Jews and all these different sorts of things she went into.
Speaker 4: Last week, she claimed to have text messages between her and Charlie back when he was dating, before he got together with his current wife and girls. He was interested in stuff like that, and everybody's like, why would you do that? I mean, what is your goal other than just cruelty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's an evil person.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Turning Point USA's leadership had asked her to come on and debate some of these points. You're claiming our former former leader and founder, Charlie Kirk was killed by his wife.
Speaker 2: Let's debate that on our you know, on our podcast.
Speaker 4: And she said, look, anytime, any place you name, the place, you name the time, I will be there.
Speaker 2: They gave her a time and a place, and she said, I can't make it. Oh well, scheduling difficulty.
Speaker 4: Basically it you can pick the place, you can pick the time. I say, we do it tomorrow. We don't need to plan for this. I want to be authentic, she said on Friday. Then they picked a time and a place, and now she says I can't do it, saring there you go, which won't her damage her in any way whatsoever.
Speaker 2: I guess No.
Speaker 4: That's the key to the whole I lead you along by the nose conspiracy pied piper thing is you always have a plausible, to your foolish followers sounding explanation for why things turned out one hundred and eighty degrees different than you said they were going to.
Speaker 2: It's because the evil doers.
Speaker 4: The evil doers saw what we were doing and they managed to mess up my calendar app and double booked me.
Speaker 2: It was the Jews that double buked me.
Speaker 4: I know a couple of Candioan fans, and I've been trying to figure it out, and I think part of it is not just wholeheartedly believing what these people say. It's just more fun in some way to get up every day and see what Candasoans say and then like chuckle with the other people in your world about it.
Speaker 2: You don't have to believe it.
Speaker 4: It's just more fun than like dealing with the messiness of reality and the gray areas and all that sort of stuff. I think maybe That's one of the reasons it's attractive. You can eliminate all those complicated gray areas where on one hand to this and on one hand.
Speaker 2: This, so it's a complicated situation.
Speaker 4: You can eliminate all the complicated situations by just going with these whack job theories. In my mind, good guys versus hidden evil forces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole.
Speaker 4: Following it because because it's entertaining and you don't believe it.
Speaker 2: I could see that, I suppose, but I don't know. There earn enough hours in the day. I don't know. Man, she has millions of followers. I know.
Speaker 4: They can't all believe it, like believe it, believe it. The people I know pretend to believe it. But I don't believe that they believe it. Like I said, I think it's just easier and more fun to go along with that than to, you know, really dig into the stories. Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with you. But you think they just actually believe it. There's a hell of a big market for that. Yeah, yeah, I do. I think a lot of most of them do.
Speaker 2: Sure. Do we have the China Cabinet coming?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're gonna take a look inside the China cabin At. It's funny how our greatest geopolitical foe is kind of faded back from the headlines.
Speaker 2: They're still there, still giants, still Evil Armstrong and Geeddy.
Speaker 4: Once you go to Christmas album, we're putting on Christmas music, decorating the tree and everything.
Speaker 2: Saturday, you gotta go to Mmmm.
Speaker 4: Probably the top of the heap, the star at the top of the tree, if you will, would be Harry Connick Junior's first Christmas album. Similar vein. I like the Bublet Christmas album, Michael Buble. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: He's good. I went with some sort of Apple Music.
Speaker 4: Or might have been the other one. Spotify some Christmas lists they put together.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 4: Throw in too many contemporaries for me, too many Ariana Grandees or whoever singing some Yeah, give me Bing Crosby. And I'm not old enough to have liked been in the world of Bing Crosby. You gotta be one hundred and ten to have been enjoying Bing Crosby at the time. Yeah, yeah, I prefer the classics. We have enough Christmas songs were full up here. Anyway, It's time to take a look in the China Cabinet, China, Chinese ass.
Speaker 2: They have some good production.
Speaker 4: Vladish n folds a little slowly for me, but I still enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Series of stories.
Speaker 4: About China are theme being our country is lousy with Chinese spies and shockingly, Donald Trump just helped them do it. More on that, but first to look at foreign insors.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 4: There is a Chinese campaign going on against Japanese pop stars, who curiously are pretty big in China in spite of the horrific history of those two countries and what the what the twentieth century? Yeah, Japanese pop singer Maki Otsuki was in the middle of a concert in Shanghai on Friday is actually week.
Speaker 2: You've heard her? You heard her? Little grummer boy? Uh bring it.
Speaker 4: When her performance was abruptly cut, shorter, sound system was turned off, and organizers ordered her to leave the stage. She has never given a reason for the rude treatment, but it appears to be part of China's escalator escalating feud with Japan over the new Prime Minister ladies' strong comments about Taiwan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been.
Speaker 4: Rhetorically been pretty pretty pretty scary back and forth Japan and China lately. The following day, another Japanese pop star named Yumi Hamasaki was found found herself performing to an empty stadium with fourteen thousand seats zero butts in them.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: She shows up to the concert and the Communist Chinese Party didn't have anybody in there. Wow, then here's some good comedy talk for you. The event was then canceled in its entirety quote after comprehensively taking into consideration various factors. I never can't understand the way these communist countries work. I've always been amazed by what they allow and what they don't allow. Why are you allowing Japanese pop stars to around in fill stadiums to start with?
Speaker 2: It's weird to me. I've never quite Soviet Union was the same way.
Speaker 4: Why do you, all of a sudden let Billy Joel in nineteen eighty two do a concert in Moscow?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 4: I don't know right. A number of other cases have been cited. A jazz musician was running through a sound check in Beijing two weeks ago when he was shut down by a squad of Chinese plane clothes police. The owner of the venue said the police told them all concerts with Japanese people are canceled and there is no discussion. But how about the power of the Chinese government that a concert is scheduled, tickets are sold, and somehow they get word to everybody, don't you go or the doors are shut or whatever. All right, wow, exactly Moving to our shores now. Chinese climate group led by Communist Party insiders gave more than a million dollars to Harvard and the Universe Stey, California.
Speaker 2: Last year.
Speaker 4: Tax filing show a group led by comm officials, the Energy Foundation China, who is CEO is a senior Chinese government climate negotiator, and they're all tied to the Communist Party, is giving lots and lots of money to some of our big universities.
Speaker 2: The idea, if you're not hip to this, is these.
Speaker 4: Climate think tanks push Western governments hard to adopt incredibly expensive, damaging to the economy climate policies pretty smart to benefit the Chinese.
Speaker 2: That's pretty smart.
Speaker 4: God, that's actually a brilliant idea.
Speaker 2: This is what we do.
Speaker 4: We get our brilliant scientists into the United States because that stupid country will fall for this, and we talk up climate change and how something's going to be done than the United States and Europe they do damaging things of their economy. We're not going to change anything in our country, of course, not Chinese is not. Pro gave a total to about seven hundred thousand dollars to University of California schools largest witch.
Speaker 2: Were given a U. C. Berkeley and U. C.
Speaker 4: Davis earmark to reduce emissions and address climate change. UC Berkeley notably administers the US Department of Energies Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. So absolutely trying to infiltrate our university.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which.
Speaker 4: These confucious institutes were supposed to be closed down. They've merely changed their names and have the same goals. And then President Trump and the Free Beacon was pretty critical of that, announced surprisingly in August that it will allow six hundred thousand Chinese students to attend US universities, a major reversal in policy. It's the latest example of how China's influence operation in American higher education is shifting and adapting rather than receding.
Speaker 2: So what are they calling Confucius things? Now, let's see, there are a couple of different names. Let me scroll watch out for this on my local college campus.
Speaker 7: Yeah, ba ba it names involving a student and scholar associations, cooperation, yeah.
Speaker 2: Probably banal just you wouldn't even notice them if you read them.
Speaker 4: Sort of names, yeah, yeah, gobbledegookie just innocent sounding, you know, Cooperative education outlet, Yeah, that sort of thing. And Trump defended his reversal allowing six hundred thousand Chinese students that would more than double the population in Chinese students now studying in the US is smart business. It's not that I want them, but I viewed as business.
Speaker 2: One thing.
Speaker 4: You don't want to cut half the people after students from all over the world that are coming into your country, destroyer the entire university and college system.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do that. That is incredibly foolish to me.
Speaker 4: At their height, there were as many one hundred and eighteen Confucius Institutes in American colleges and universities. Institute's primary role was to sponsor and often fund Chinese language and culture courses on the US, But when the US government targeted the institutions in twenty twenty one based on concerns they might act as espionage incubators, their doors quietly closed across the country, but they're back and better than ever and calling themselves weird names. Moving along a little more on the China cabinet. Here suspected Chinese spy Linda Son, who's on trial in New York right now. She was the gal who was an aid to Cuomo when he was governor of New York and then became an aid to Kathy Hokel when Pervo old people killing Cuomo left office. They're showing as evidence some of her text messages and Kathy Hokel, who's running for re election. One of the messages reads, she is much more obedient than the governor. The deputy governor listens to me more than the governor does. Sun Set is she's spying for the Chinese representative at least Stephonic, Hokuel's main rival blasted Hokl for lacking backbone and being subservient to China. Not only is Kathy Hockl the most corrupted, worst governor in America, she's also the most compromised. Turns out, compromised Kathy bent her need to the her own communist aid before she bent the need to New York Socialist mayor elect.
Speaker 2: Ain't that's some good blasting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this woman was in Oh, and she was regularly touted by both Hokel and Cuomo as the highest ranking Asian American in our administration and shows that we don't discriminate.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: She was getting millions of dollars worth of kickbacks for working on China's behalf allegedly.
Speaker 2: Let's see, do we have one more? Oh?
Speaker 4: And then this one from Stanford University. Seeing a pattern here, Wendy Mao, that's a little on the nose. Wendy Mao, Stanford's Earth Sciences Chair and Deputy director of Stanford's Institute for Materials and Energy Sciences, has authored over fifty publications, trained five employees, and maintained a visiting scholar position at Hipstar HPSTAR on alias for China's nuclear weapons program. Professor Mao has co authored at least twelve peer reviewed papers with the Science Foundation That's justin alias for their nuclear weapons program. The US Entity List describes Hipstar as an organization quote owned by, operated by, or directly affiliated with the Chinese Academy of Engineering Physics, which is the technology complex responsible for the research, development, and testing of China's nuclear weapons and has been on the entity list under the destination of.
Speaker 2: China since nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 4: I understand this a little more since a week ago, and I talked about this last week watching this podcast video with one of your top AI researchers in America. I forget which company he's with, who thinks the whole China is our faux thing.
Speaker 2: Is way overblown. He called it threat.
Speaker 4: Hysteria or something like that, that China is not a foe and we can work with China on AI and everything else. And he is an academic, and I thought, well, that's how these colleges are doing their thing, or why they're doing theirything.
Speaker 2: They don't believe China is a threat.
Speaker 4: They think that's you know, combination of racism and right wing xenophobia and all that sort of stuff. That's the least the money is flowing in from China, so they're finding an excuse to like, yeah, yeah, the accombination. I think of their zenophilia and how you show you're enlightened by not being proud of your own country. You can't be a patriot. You've got to embrace other countries and cultures, right, Yeah, Well.
Speaker 2: You're crazy, You are crazy.
Speaker 4: American academia is lousy with Chinese spies. That's your look in the China cabinet.
Speaker 2: China, Damn communists.
Speaker 4: Speaking of China, What I bought myself for Christmas? Right after this? Yeah, Dad, if you're listening, turn off your radio. Judy and I are going to order my pop some fabulous Omaha Steaks again this year, as we so often do. He doesn't need stuff, He needs deliciousness. He needs great meat sizzling on the grill for himself and his friends love it. Every steak from Omaha Steaks is aged perfectly to maximize tenderness and handcut by master Butcher's in America's heartland, not communists China, and it's so delicious.
Speaker 2: Sizzle all the Way. That's the name of the sale. Sizzle all the Way.
Speaker 4: You can get fifty percent off site wide at Omaha Steaks right now Omaha steaks dot Com, plus our listeners get an extra thirty five dollars off with the promo code Armstrong at checkout. Oh the Delicious Meats decides the desserts. It's all so good from Omaha Steaks. Save big on gourmet gifts and more holiday favorites with Omaha Steaks. Visit Omaha Steaks dot com for fifty percent off site wide during the Sizzle All the Way sale, plus for an extra thirty five bucks off. Use the promo code Armstrong at checkout. See the site for details. UH terms apply. That's Omaha Steaks dot Com and the code is Armstrong. Here's what I'm getting myself for Christmas this year, which probably makes me an odd duck, but I'm going to display this prominently in my living room. It's an actual propaganda poster from China from nineteen fifty nine during the Great Leap Forward. Across it at a door in San Francisco. It's the actual original poster and it's pretty large, and it's got this smiling little girl on there, and it.
Speaker 2: Says nineteen sixty is made nineteen fifty nine.
Speaker 4: They're looking forward to the great year of nineteen sixty and how it's going to the greatness of the Great Leap Forward is going to continue in the country with the aim of increasing steel production in a variety of other things.
Speaker 2: The Great Leap Forward, if you're not a student of China during.
Speaker 4: That time, killed somewhere between twenty five and forty million people.
Speaker 2: The upper ends.
Speaker 4: Forty million people died, mostly starving to death because of the government trying to take control over agriculture and steel production and everything else. And this poster from the government with the smiling little girl on it and the happy, happy words on it, I find absolutely chilling and amazing. And if you think that that can't happen again anywhere in the world, you're so wrong, right, And American school kids they learn about the Nazis when they learn about history at all.
Speaker 2: They mostly learn about how evil the US is.
Speaker 4: But nobody ever teaches about communism in schools and universities, in spite of its practically incomprehensible track record for starving people to death and murdering them. Well, governments have killed more of their own people than other countries have.
Speaker 2: This has always been true.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I don't teach that. I suppose they're not gonna teach that in a government school. You don't need to overreact to that. All government isn't that you have to have a government, obviously, but the most deadly thing on planet Earth is country's own governments.
Speaker 2: Your own government. Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely true.
Speaker 4: Anyway, look forward to having that poster prominently displayed and boring my kids to tears.
Speaker 2: With an explanation of why I put it up.
Speaker 4: And you know what's funny is if you were to get an analogous Nazi propaganda poster and put that up in your living room, it would probably be two days in that somebody. Not that you entertained that much, but if somebody saw.
Speaker 2: That, you know, your career could be over. Oh my god, boy, it.
Speaker 4: Proudly displays Nazi memorabilia. You know, with all due respect to the horrors and evil of the Nazi regime, there were punks and killing people compared to communism. Yeah, Stalin or mao, Yeah, that's interesting. Yeah, if I had an old Nazi poster in my living room, that would be looked a different and there's no reason for it. The same point would be, isn't this amazing? Look how far off track a government can get? But a smiling little girl holding Hitler's hand and looking up lovingly. Yeah, I would lose my job over that one. Oh that's an interesting, interesting note. I'm glad you pointed that out. Maybe I'll rethink this.
Speaker 2: More on the way. Stay tuned.
Speaker 6: We melted some butter right here. I I'm gonna dip this in our butter. This is trending on TikTok. Then we're gonna put a little kosher sauce on top of this.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna give that the final case. Butter, ice cream and salt.
Speaker 2: Wow, not approved by my doctor. So what is that soft served vanilla?
Speaker 4: You dip it in butter and then you put kosher salt on top of it.
Speaker 2: You dip your ice cream in butter? Yes? No, I don't what that is?
Speaker 4: Everybody else picturing having their mouth coated with like butter?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah? Oh? How do I get rid of it? Man?
Speaker 4: This time of year is tough? Oh please, tough everywhere? And then plus just the I guess it's like vacation where that's spending in calories don't count notifacation. Same with the Christmas season. The money and the food goes together somehow. It's like you're spending money like you don't normally spend it, and you eat like you don't normally eat, and it's just it's weird.
Speaker 2: Psychologically, I can't.
Speaker 4: I was trying to wrap my head around it as I ate last night, like why do I why am I approaching this completely differently than I'm going to on January fifteenth. That makes no sense. Yeah, I know, I know it's odd. There's if you are festive, you're eating in hume. I was going to say Western culture, but virtually every culture.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 4: I had a chicken pot pie at a restaurant last night. Best chicken pop pie I've ever had the night. A piece of pumpkin pie after the chicken pop pie.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it was a pie theme pie. So much pie.
Speaker 4: No, there is a Santa at the restaurant walking around taking pictures of people. I mean, honey, but come on, we all feeling a nice butter dipped ice cream?
Speaker 2: Delicious?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a golf course there's They had out candied pecans now almonds, like cinnamon candied almonds that were spectacularly good. I would never in my life seek those out. One's not gonna hurt buy them one just just a couple's not gonna hurt you in and then yeah we're twenty five.
Speaker 2: Next time you go buy I mean a couple more and grab a handful. Yeah, pomp them in my mouth. Deliciousness. I mean they are almonds, yeah, exactly, They're practically healthy.
Speaker 4: It's healthy. It's a healthy snack, honey. Ah ilhan Omar making the rounds trying to explain away the rampant theft of zillions of dollars by some of her buddies in the Minneapolis Somali community, and a reporter sticking it to that weakest.
Speaker 2: Act in America. Tim Wat's all of that coming up next hour.
Speaker 4: Wow, so you're gonna jump on the anti Somali bias that is sweeping the nation.
Speaker 2: I see now, stop it.
Speaker 4: Please, you can't bully me with that crap. I calls them as I see them. Facts are facts, no matter how they make you feel. New York Times had an unbelievably long and detailed story that I read all of yesterday and then highlighted some of we'll get to about the Biden administration and immigration. I just was fascinated by it. All the advisors around Joe Biden were telling him.
Speaker 2: Look, this is a disaster.
Speaker 4: Before it even started, we're gonna have millions of people coming into this country. Then during it, they were telling them We've got millions of people coming into the country. And then toward the end of it, they were saying millions of people coming in.
Speaker 2: Look at the polls on this. People hate this, and they just couldn't.
Speaker 4: Convince him to do anything, wow, because they were so worried about their left flank, the wokest peek crowd out there about how and in specific Latinos as they called them in the Biden White House, Hispanics who ended up voting for Trump because they hated it, latinixes.
Speaker 2: So it's not like he wasn't aware.
Speaker 4: He's being told by his own crowd throughout the entire thing, and he.
Speaker 2: Just was blind to it.
Speaker 4: Of course, it's seen Isle Yeah, completely senile. Oh that reminds me, don't we have a new Joe Biden clip? He spoke over the weekend. He was given some LGBTQ prize for being the most LGBTQ trans friendly president in our history. At nice job Jack. He said some things and sounded ancient. Among other things, we've got coming up Armstrong and Getty