Speaker 1: The following podcast is a Dear Media production.
Speaker 2: Big Things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty This is pretty smart. So when I thought about the very first episode of pretty Smart, I thought about wanting to feel comfortable because usually I'm on the other side of an interview. So I called up the best interviewer I know, Peter Rosenberg, host radio and TV personality sometimes moonlights as a DJ, all around funny guy. I call him the millennial Howard Stern. We'll see if he takes that. Peter, you constantly challenge me. You are so pretty smart. You make me change my perspective on things, and I'm really excited to get into a conversation with you. Thank you for doing this with me.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you for having me. Thank you for the lovely introduction. I don't even know if I'm technically a millennium, like I'm right on the line, I'm very.
Speaker 2: Very close and you're a baby boomer.
Speaker 1: No, isn't it, jen X.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I'm between X and millennial.
Speaker 3: I think millennials supposed to be You were younger than eighteen at the change of the millennium and I was twenty one at the change.
Speaker 1: Of the millennium.
Speaker 2: Were you born before seventy seven?
Speaker 1: No, I'm seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Then you're a millennial. Really yep, welcome to the club.
Speaker 1: Thank you. This is exciting news. I didn't even know I was getting this today.
Speaker 3: But anyways, that is a lovely introduction, and I'm honored to do this and I'm excited to get to ask you things that even being your friend, I mean, I know the answer to.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we can do this again and I can ask you all the.
Speaker 3: Questions, all right, But for today, I will ask you the questions. And let's start off for people who are just getting familiar with you, and maybe they have seen you on social media or they've seen you pop up on one of the many outlets that you do hosting work. Tell us a little bit about where you're from. I know, I know you're from Chicago generally, but where you're from in Chicago and how you ended up wanting to pursue this dream of broadcast journalism.
Speaker 2: So I feel very proud to be from Chicago. It was a really amazing place to grow up. I feel like when people ask me, are you going home? I still think of Chicago. I don't really think of LA. It feels like home to me, but I always wanted to live in LA. Like growing up, I would watch hours and hours and hours of TV, and I watched everything like I watched Saved by the Bell and Gilmour Girls and Sopranos and Family Matters, like literally anything that was on TV. I would watch and my dad would yell at me because my parents are really into education, and they'd be like, you're wasting your brain. What are you doing watching all this TV? And now he calls me and he's like, I'm sorry I yelled at you. You were just doing research. I didn't know. So I feel like I was always on a path to entertainment and live in LA. But when I went to college in Madison, I started doing internships at the local news stations and I fell in love with it. I loved the storytelling. I did not love carrying those hundred pound I think I weigh one hundred pounds in college, Like the cameras weigh as much as me, and we'd be in the snow and the like it was freezing in Madison, just trying to get one shot for hours, and I realized I didn't want to do local news at that point, but I really wanted to tell people's stories. So I booked a one way ticket to LA, moved into a garage, and the rest was kind of history. I never looked back.
Speaker 3: What was it that made you realize you didn't want to do local news? Like, what specifically about that experience made you think, you know, I want to do broadcasting, but I don't want to do that form of broadcasting.
Speaker 2: I've never been asked that, if I'm being honest, I wanted to tell different stories. And the Internet was becoming a thing like do you remember all those Britney Spears fans that would on YouTube? And that was, yeah, that you were one of them. That was the Internet for a minute, But right after that it exploded into something else, and I kind of felt like that was happening. I wanted to be part of that explosion because the freedom to talk to different people, tell different stories, have more autonomy felt really enticing. And so when I moved to LA after I started doing Red Carpets, I worked at a place called Clever TV, which was a YouTube channel that was always like one of the ten YouTube, ten top YouTube channels, and that's where I learned the Internet, and so it was it was cool I got to do different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really neat because you got to taste sort of the classic medium of television, because like the red carpet is like a pretty traditional television kind of thing, and then mix it with doing a YouTube channel. How did you You kind of just threw and yeah, I started doing red carpets, But like, how did you start doing red carpets?
Speaker 1: Who are you doing them for? How did you get the opportunity?
Speaker 2: Well, when I moved into the garage, no one would answer my calls. I don't think it's because they didn't know I was living in a garage, but I still like, I didn't have a reel. Really, I only had like a reel from college. So I knew I needed to get practice and I needed footage. So I would just cold call people, cold email people. No one would answer me, and I started googling people's addresses and I had no money. I had the two thousand dollars and I remember setting a budget aside of like five hundred dollars to send people cookies boxes of cookies, and I would put my email address at the end of it. And so most of the time people would email me and say like, I don't know who thanks standing out for these cookies. We don't have a position available. And I was like, that's cool, you know, just keep me in mind if someone falls out last minute. But now I had their email address.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and now you have a little back and forth like when they see your email pop up again in three months, even if they don't remember who you are, they see that they already engaged with you. Then they look at it and are like, oh, yeah, the cookie girl exactly.
Speaker 2: I was the cookie girl literally and it worked because one day somebody dropped out and an online outlet called me and said, can you be in Beverly Hills in ninety minutes? And I said yes. I didn't even blink. Did my first red carpet. Simon Cowle gave me an exclusive, which I owe him so much. He doesn't even know that because he got me my first gig. They started calling me back because of that, and I would work for free. They didn't pay me, but I needed footage and it allowed me to build a reel, and then I had all those email addresses and would send people my reel over and over again.
Speaker 3: Were you nervous to show up and just do a red carpet when you hadn't done anything like that prior?
Speaker 2: I think when you're young, you have this blind naivete like I would watch Juliana Ransick or Kat Sadler and think, like, I can do that, And so I didn't realize that I couldn't do that, Like I definitely couldn't do that to the level they were doing it, but in my head I could, which was a blessing in disguise because you just kind of go for it and then by doing you get better hopefully.
Speaker 3: Well, I've realized recently as i've been like looking back at my life and thinking about mistakes I've made, things I'd like to do better. And one of the consistent mistakes that I've made throughout my career and I still make it is saying things that I regret and like, I don't mean necessarily something that like you have to apologize for saying something off color. I mean, I'm sure I've done that too, but I mean, you know, a critique that was too harsh, you know, describing someone in a way that wasn't kind, giving an opinion that was just incredibly brash. You know, I showed up in New York and I was just so brash with my opinions. And I say all of this not to just make everything about me another great trade of mine, but because that thing you just spoke about. In order to be the person who has a chance to make it, you have to have a sort of unrealistic view of yourself. If you you don't believe that it whatever twenty something year old age that you're at, if you don't believe that you're capable of doing it as well as Ryan Seacrest and Juan Ransick, you're never going to get the opportunity to even come close. So it's a catch twenty two and you really do. It's kind of amazing hearing you say that that you just sort of showed up and like, I can do this, Because to me, that's the sign of someone who can eventually make it, Because you have to believe you're good enough to be in the game, even if at that time when you look back at it, you're like, I wasn't really good enough to be in the game.
Speaker 2: It's so funny you say that, because one, it makes me feel better hearing that you felt the same way, because I always want to be self aware and try and like live outside my ego. But there is a little ego in that right, like you have to have a little bit. And then secondly, I interviewed Kevin Hart once and I asked him did you know this was going to happen? Like, did you know that you were going to do this? And he said no, I had no idea. I was a shoe salesman in Philadelphia. I had no idea. And I did not believe him. I thought it was a nice, humble answer. I did not believe him, because anybody who goes after something passionate and difficult has to have some sort of a belief.
Speaker 3: Especially if you're Kevin Hart, who for so long got laughed out of rooms. People didn't think he was good enough, funny enough. They made fun of him for being short, like he had so many things working against him that maybe he didn't think he'd ever become an industry but he had to have a certain level of just like I'm good at this. I know I make people feel good, and I know what I can do. But yeah, you're right, it is. It's one of the funny things about this business. And as a result, people can come off as sort of obnoxious and make mistakes and it doesn't mean they're bad people or arrogant in general, but that they think I'm cable.
Speaker 1: I mean I used to watch MTV.
Speaker 3: I remember this is one of my favorites is I used to watch MTV and there was a guy on TV and I would just think, like man to Actually two people I would see and be like, why did they even have this job?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Those two people are Carson Dally, who I don't know in real life, but we have like a very friendly mutual admiration Instagram relationship which started with him which was completely random, Like I didn't know that he'd been following me.
Speaker 1: I didn't know he was so checked into hip hop stuff.
Speaker 3: But Carson Dally is just that diverse, which is what makes him awesome and capable of doing the things that he does right. The other person I used to hate on was Cipha Sounds, who's now been my co host for the over a decade, and I would be like, why this.
Speaker 1: Guy not me?
Speaker 3: And it, Yeah, it can have its negative attributes, because you can also get caught up thinking no one else deserves it more than you do. But I really do think for anyone who's listening who has an interest in broadcasting, if you don't have a belief that you're capable of doing what kind of the people you see are doing. If you don't have that belief, you probably don't belong and you have a really tough time.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: A healthy dose of reality of like I need work that also helps because there are people who just show up, Like especially with the Internet. I mean, if you get one hundred thousand views on a video, what you're good?
Speaker 1: Hand me the mic?
Speaker 3: And I have seen people get handed the mic and you're like, well, you were not ready to be handed the mic. So you have to do the work and you have to prepare yourself. But a healthy dose of belief, I think is super important. You've done a ton of interviews at this point, hundreds, maybe thousands. What's the most effort you've had to put in to securing an interview? And what did you do?
Speaker 2: Ooh, the most effort to secure an interview? I do a lot of crazy things to get things done, like not just cookies. I really believe in the cold message, cold email. I'm trying to think about even.
Speaker 1: If it's just the amount of effort or times that you.
Speaker 2: Tried, you know what I did. I used to This is so embarrassing. I just remembered this. When I moved to LA, I made business cards with my headshot.
Speaker 4: On them and like a real estate agent business card, literally and they had different photos on each side. Like it was really indulgent, but I wanted people to remember me and every red card, but I was on. After I spoke to the celebrity, the actor, the musician, I'd hand them my business card.
Speaker 1: I didn't know, how did that play out for you?
Speaker 2: Well? Interesting because I don't really know. I don't think I understood how things worked. I handed them the business card, thinking like maybe if I asked them really good questions and they feel connected, that they'll reach out to me and then I can do a sit down interview. Because when I moved to LA, all I wanted to do was interview people, and I thought the road to that were red carpets and building an online presence and right and business cards.
Speaker 1: I end up instead with you just getting random, inappropriate mess from people that you didn't want to get messages from or maybe you did want to get a message from them professionally, and instead it was like ten thirty, wya can.
Speaker 2: You meet at my hotel lobby? There were a few of those, but also a good learning experience. You know, you got to figure out how to navigate that. But honestly, some people were really really kind, like some of the video at the cameramen and I say men because they were men, but it should be camera people and editors. I would trade them like lunch and promise them some laughs, and they would shoot sit down interviews with me with these actors that I don't know why they agreed, they were so kind and they came for an hour and I would do sit down interviews with them and put them on YouTube. Like people were really generous with me. I think one of the biggest lessons is like ask and you shall receive, because if you don't ask, nothing ever happens.
Speaker 3: As time went on, did you continue to fall more in love with interviewing did you like it less Did you think I like inter viewing the actors, but I'd like to talk to other people as well. How did you find the experience of sort of the la Entertainment interview World.
Speaker 2: At first, it was really exciting because I was so happy to be there and I really wanted to get better. I want Somebody told me, like, you just want to get paid to get your reps in at the beginning, and I wasn't even really getting paid, but I was just happy to get the reps in. And then when I started working at Entertainment Tonight Online, I started having a crisis of conscience because I realized that the type of reporter, the type of interviewer I wanted to be, was somebody who always came from a place of kindness. I always ask questions to this day with kindness at the forefront, and you can't always do that at some of these entertainment outlets. And it's no knock on them, it's just it's not how the machine works. And so it kind of evolved, and eventually I did a morning show in Chicago, which was a gift because I got to do hard news. I got to do I got to be live for two hours every day. They let me produce and write so many packages. I did stuff on gun violence and voting, and I realized that I wanted to mix pop culture and politics which I think that's probably why we bonded initially, is you have that same love. It's like they go so hand in hand even though they seem like opposites.
Speaker 3: And also I would correct, I would personally correct whoever gave you the advice of getting getting paid for reps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you. It's just get reps.
Speaker 3: You know. That's that's actually something And it may be an old school philosophy, but it's probably not one.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give up me too.
Speaker 3: Young person who wants to get reps and you give them an opportunity and then they're like, yo, so what's up with the money. I'm like, all right, get out, no.
Speaker 2: Reps, get out same like I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Literally say get out. But I'll be like, well, this is how this is going to work. You're either just gonna do it or you're not. But the idea of like you show up and you think you get paid to entertain who wants to see you entertain?
Speaker 1: Who wants to hear you say anything?
Speaker 2: Truly? And also not only not get paid. I've paid to work so many times, particularly when I was young, because I felt like it was an investment in myself, Like I paid for hair and makeup. I paid to get there with either bus money or gas money or parking Like I've spent a lot of money trying to work.
Speaker 3: I am just now. I'm forty one, and I am just now, like, oh not fine. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but it didn't. It took until my mid thirties for me to get like comfortable with having a car service set for you and like that stuff gets taken care of if you're hired. Everything for me for the first ten to fifteen years of my career was jumping in my very average, low end car and driving to where I was going and being the most overly prepared. The amount of redundancy in my audio equipment, Like I have a mini displayer with a microphone, but I also have a tape recorder. I also have extra batteries. I also have an extra plug. I also have a camera, so if the audio doesn't work, I can just get video use that audio if I like and listen. This isn't some sort of I used to walk uphill both ways when I went to school in the in a two feet of snow. But we will see and and and by the way, we've seen this play out already, Like I believe that it's already been proven out to be true when we saw the emergence of I'm not even being that guy. But seriously, I can't remember what it's called anymore. What was the name of the social media app with the really short.
Speaker 2: Clips, TikTok?
Speaker 1: But the first one that was super short five second come?
Speaker 2: Oh, oh my god, uh.
Speaker 3: Vine Vine, which took us thirty seconds to remember the name of the medium.
Speaker 1: Okay, that time happened.
Speaker 3: And there are peace people who turns it into real money, and there are people who turns it into especially further social media money. But if you were to play a game called let's name all the Vine stars who turned into mainstream media stars, you wouldn't do very well. You might think of some people who did well on other social media outlets, and props and kudos to them for figuring it out.
Speaker 1: But I say that to say.
Speaker 3: Everyone thinks, when they have that moment, that this is it and now everything's just going to open up for you. You're all good now. And the traditional ideas of work ethic and just sticking around a place and blinding it out and being a good person who people want to be around. I just don't think that part's ever going to go away.
Speaker 2: You know, when you said that you have all that equipment, it reminded me. I did an event one time, I think it was the MTV Movie Awards and the outlet I was working for screwed up the scheduling and the cameraman never showed, and I was like, I'll shoot it. I would have the camera and I knew how to shoot, so I set it up, shot myself and ended up editing the tape. And I remember thinking, like, you have you can't just like go be a host. You have to know how to do everything. It's how it works, It's how bad do you want it?
Speaker 3: You're just there. That's the other thing that I think really comes up a lot. What do you want to do? Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, I do a little of this, I do a little of that. I do a little I'm like, what do you do? You know? Like? And I guess I'll ask you that question, what do you do? Like?
Speaker 3: What is what is Danielle Robe's thing that you would say is really in you that you're meant to do?
Speaker 2: I think that I'm able to ask people questions without any judgment and create a really comfortable space for people to open up and feel seen in a way that other people probably can. But I think that's my thing.
Speaker 1: Let's remove the in a way other people probably Well, it's true.
Speaker 2: It's not like I'm the only person who can make people feel seen, you know, but I do think that.
Speaker 3: That's I'm the one who allows people to be seen. But that just speaks to humility in general that you wouldn't even give yourself that. But so in other words, though the looking back, if someone were to ask twenty one year old to you, what do you do?
Speaker 1: The answer is really I interview. Really, well, that's what I do.
Speaker 2: I mean I would stand on red carpets and I would ask people about feminism, and like you know, I would ask people things that you probably shouldn't ask on red carpets, And now I get to do that in an interview series. So I think it was kind of all leading up to that.
Speaker 3: And it's so perfect too, because you know, that's why pretty Smart and what you're doing with it is such a perfect fit because you have the opportunity to pick people that make sense that you want to ask questions to, who you already know can engage in these kinds of conversations. So I guess we should get to the pretty smart of it all.
Speaker 2: What's your what's your pretty? What's your adjective? You're pretty? What like? If we were to name your.
Speaker 1: Episode smart, I wouldn't go past that.
Speaker 2: You're pretty funny too, I'm pretty funny. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I'll give myself more than that. I believe i'm funny. I'm pretty smart.
Speaker 2: No, pretty is not a diminutive.
Speaker 3: I feel like, well, it depends how you're looking at it. In your case, it's not it's pretty smart. It plays on multiple things. In the case with me, one version of pretty is out the window immediately, so pretty ends up turning into kind of not true.
Speaker 2: Not true at all. You know, when I named it, part of it was that it was irreverend. I heard Amy Schumer say that people would say, well, you know, she's pretty funny for a woman, and I was like, there's a spin on that. You know.
Speaker 3: Was that the origins of you thinking of pretty smart? Or did it start somewhere else?
Speaker 2: It's actually started when I was doing the morning show in Chicago. I read a book called Beauty Sick, and doctor Renee Engellen wrote it it's a book that changed my life. She's stills off with a stat by Esquire and she says fifty four percent of women would rather be hit by a car than considered fat. And when I read that, my heart sunk, because when I was in high school, I would ask, well, how fast is the car going? And that's kind of hard for me to say out loud because it feels.
Speaker 1: A joke to some degree. I mean mostly, No, it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't a joke. I don't think I had a healthy relationship with food or body image. And I think to be a woman in America, to be honest, is that, like, find a woman who has a really healthy perception of their own body, their own self, their own weight, doesn't have a weird relationship with food in any way, and like I will give you a million dollars that I don't have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's when I go through the list of people that I'm really close to in my life, it's a very tough one.
Speaker 2: And it's not excluding men either.
Speaker 3: I think there's a high percentage of men too. Yeah, very higher than you think. But you can think of some. But it's tough, but it really is. It really is true and Obviously that's not surprising when you look about this, when you look at around and see the images that are put out there for people.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you mentioned that because I kept thinking as I was reading this book, it's a value issue. It's that we place so much value on pretty for women in America. And then I started asking people, who's the prettiest woman you know? So for you, who pops.
Speaker 1: Into your mind the prettiest person that I know?
Speaker 2: Prettiest woman?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean my girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Oh, good answer.
Speaker 3: Prior to giving the good answer of the person that you're obviously with, I would say the most consistent person I've said over my whole life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I probably would have said Halle Berry.
Speaker 2: So also a good answer. But you're the first person to actually name the first person I've spoken to to name a celebrity, because everybody I spoke to would be like my mom, my sister, my girlfriend. No one would name like well known people. And I kept thinking about how the prettiest women in my life were all of these things. They weren't perfect. They had bumps and bruises, and that's what made them so pretty. They were pretty bold and pretty strong, pretty witty, pretty smart, and so I was like, I'm going to go create the show I've always wanted to create and interview people who are the kind of pretty that matters. So each episode is going to feature somebody who is all of those things. Pretty determined, pretty ambitious, pretty funny, And we're going to take the word pretty and.
Speaker 3: Spin it so pretty does not have the connotation that for example, I just used it for, which is Halle Berry, who's just objectively pretty.
Speaker 2: She is, but you know she's actually she's pretty soulful too.
Speaker 3: Well, no, no, how's Hallie's pretty complicated and right and smart and interesting, and she's a lot.
Speaker 1: Halle's a lot.
Speaker 2: But knowing you, that's why you said her too, because if she was just pretty and vapid, you wouldn't have thought about her.
Speaker 3: That's probably, But that's I have a weird thing for being into people because of their whole story.
Speaker 2: It's not weird. That's everybody.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I always think about this in terms of athletes a lot. Like people root for athletes because they're good. I root for athletes sometimes because they're good, but sometimes because I want them to win.
Speaker 2: I disagree with you. I think we buy into people's stories.
Speaker 1: We do not everyone does.
Speaker 2: Like name an athlete that you think that people do that about.
Speaker 3: I think, Jordan, I think people story. Yeah, they I guess you're right. They add the story to make you feel good. I'm not saying most people don't, but I'm saying I also wouldn't write that office saying oh, everyone does that.
Speaker 1: Everyone cares about people's stories. Like No, A lot of people who root for sports.
Speaker 3: They root for you because you wear a laundry that's the color they like, and if you're not doing good job, they want you trade it immediately. And then there are other people who are like, I know he's not doing well right now, but like, I'm committed.
Speaker 1: To this person and I want them to succeed.
Speaker 3: But that group does exist, and it's one of the reasons athletes can often get frustrated with fans. So I say that to say there are a lot of people who would identify with wanting to see the whole package.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Listen, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I think most I think good people like people because of their stories. So when you say who's pretty to them, they don't just think of the prettiest supermodel they've ever seen. They think of someone who's close to them or someone who has meaning. I think that's a really interesting point, as opposed to as being like, well, Heidi Klumb, not that Heidi Clumb's not super interesting, because she is actually, but you get the point.
Speaker 1: Or Cindy Crawford or Brad Pitt.
Speaker 3: They're going to think of someone who probably has something else, some other connection to them. But I think that's for good people. I don't think everybody's good. I think everybody has good I don't think everybody's good.
Speaker 2: See, I think everybody's good, But I think whatever we don't get to I want to ask you something else. Have you ever thought about why you are obsessed with stories? Because you and I are both really obsessed with stories.
Speaker 3: No, I never thought about why I'm obsessed with stories. I just relate to people for whatever reason. I see something in them that I go I feel like people are judging this person unfairly.
Speaker 1: I'd like to see what else is there interesting?
Speaker 2: I've never thought about it that way.
Speaker 1: Well, everything that I'm into requires defending well.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things that makes you such an interesting interviewer and personality is that you're very comfortable with confrontation. And I don't know if it's because you're very practiced at it, but you have no qualms about pushing up against an idea a person. It's something that most people are not as comfortable with. You're okay being a naysayer.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate you saying that it's not true, because I am uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I don't like things to go that way.
Speaker 3: I would love for interviews to just always be like an awesome, fun back and forth. But you know, sometimes there's a moment when you just say no that you cannot say that we're gonna have a an argument here. No now. I don't always, though, and there are times when if the art, if the person's big enough, and you have relationships that were required to get the interview, where you have to be like, oh man, how do I navigate this disagreement kindly, in like really delicately so they don't rush off? And I have all kinds of other drama to deal with as a result of that. I know the nice answer would be like, I'm Walter Cronkite, and the second I hear wrong, I stop it in its tracks because I am here to have America hear the truth. But sometimes you go, oh, I got to think about the manager. I gotta think about this, I gotta think about and let me. Sometimes I think, hey, can I help you give a better answer to that question because what you just said sucks. Let's walk through this together. And you know, sometimes that's what you try to do. But I appreciate that you think I do that because I don't think it's easy, and I think if you do it too much, you're an asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to walk the line. It's the heart and the hustle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if you're a gotcha guy in interviews who's waiting for the moment to be like what you say gotcha like, there are a lot of people who do that and are very successful. And I don't respect that either, and I don't I don't appreciate that either. And that's something I like about what you do and why I think pretty smart will be cool. I can't imagine while the goal is to have thoughtful dialogue, I can't imagine the goal is to like catch people in something they wish they didn't say.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not. The goal is twofold. It's so back to stories like this is one of the goals I'm obsessed with stories because I'm obsessed with why I feel. Like, you know, I went through like a little bit of a depression last year, and no person could make me feel better. The only thing that made me feel better was listening to people's stories and podcasts and reading of people's stories and books. And I really believe like when we listen to other people's stories, a kernel of truth exists within ourselfs. And so my goal is a to bring out incredible, moving, interesting, inspiring stories and also have some thematic episodes like I'm doing in a few weeks. I'm doing You'll like this a whole history of Women in Hip Hop episode, and we're talking to female MC's and talking about topics that impact culture and talk about what works for us and what we can work to change.
Speaker 3: That is awesome And I won't say lofty goal, but like, that's a good, real expectation to have for yourself.
Speaker 1: Are you nervous to launch the podcast?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty nervous. I'm usually the one asking the questions, and it's because I think I'm innately curious, but also because I don't like answering them as much. So this is really taking me out of my comfort zone. My promise is that it will be incredibly candid and real, So I cannot be an exception to that. I have to show up as that every week.
Speaker 3: So do you just mean that because it's not exclusively you asking questions.
Speaker 1: It's conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, opposed.
Speaker 3: To like, hey, what are you doing with this? What are your thoughts on blank? It's a here's a question, now let's go back and forth.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: It's a different sort of animal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to show up as yourself to make other people comfortable to show up as theirselves. I think you.
Speaker 3: Had some relationship with the late great Larry King. What can you say about Larry King?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the best. I Actually, before he passed away, he signed the microphone that I'm using for my at home setup. I bought like an old school mic that he used to use, and I had him sign it. So I hope that he would kind of put a stamp of approval on this. But I used to have breakfast at Larry and it was sort of an outer body experience at first, because I studied him, like I watched hours and hours of Barbara Walters and Larry King and Bob Costas, and I just would think and look at how they moved their hands and the way they asked a question and rewind and think about why they asked a question that way. And So to be with him in conversation and hear him telling me stories about interviews was wild because in my head I knew the interview he was talking about. I was like, oh, you were wearing a blue shirt that day, Like I knew what he was talking about, and to hear it in real time was cool.
Speaker 1: How did this relationship come to be?
Speaker 2: So he has breakfast at uh or. He used to have breakfast at a bunch of different delis in Beverly Hills. Every day. He had this group of friends from growing up in Florida and some people from New York. And every single day he would have breakfasts and he would usually have cheerios and blueberries.
Speaker 1: What I only knew that he went to Nate Nowles, but he went to multiple places.
Speaker 2: So like Tuesday would be Nate Nows and Thursday would be Nate Nows, and then like Wednesday would be a different spot. He had a whole schedule, okay, and he had this group of people and friends. It was like a bunch of old Jewish guys. Sometimes women would be there, like a cousin or something, and I was like, oh my god, this is like what I grew up around.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It was so fun and I didn't really have that in La. I didn't know anybody. And I would go and he would. He was obsessed with youth. He loved having youthful energy, and so he would stare at you and ask you a hundred questions, like some questions about what you ate for breakfast, and then some questions deep enough, like you know, what do you think of the world, and how do we cure hunger? And he just he was the single most curious person I'd ever met.
Speaker 1: And he just like where you introduced to him? Like how did he end up taking to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was introduced to him by a friend and it was actually for my birthday one year, and it was such an amazing gift, and it was supposed to be a one off breakfast and then there was no way I was letting that be a one off. I was like, I have to come back, so I would go more often.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, is such an interesting insight to the valuable the value of get of knowing people and having relationships, you know, and having connections to people, and getting to meet people because you never know who that person is close with and which is ultimately for better or for worse, a part of our game as well. I mean, I've never got in anything from sent to the point you made earlier. I've never gotten a job from sending.
Speaker 2: In a tape ever, me neither never.
Speaker 3: Never even really had a meaningful dialogue as a result of just sending off a resume in an air check.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny though, When I worked at ET Online, I would go in after hours when no one was there, and they had this incredible backlog of interviews, like they had just hundreds and hundreds and thousands of hours twenty thirty years of interviews archived, and I would go and just watch them. And there was this one interview with j Loo that I always remember. She said that when she booked her first role for Selena, that was like her first big movie role. She did like twelve auditions and her manager called her and was like, Wow, you finally got it. But you always take the long road, like it never just comes easy to you, nothing ever just falls in your lap and we look at Jaylo, we think everything fell in her lap, right like it just seems like it all appeared. And I so identified with that. I never have just like gotten a job, no one ever, just like you know, and it, Yeah, you have to work so hard for it. It's so funny, but it makes it worthwhile.
Speaker 3: It's so funny. I never really thought about that. But you know, all of my jobs were years in the making. Yes, ESPN would probably be the one that came easiest, but even that, I'd obviously already been working for a very long time. And once my agents made the introduction, we played a game of them bringing me in to do random things.
Speaker 1: That lasted almost six months. Six months, come in and.
Speaker 3: Do this weekend, jump on this show, come with this person and listen. After a couple months, I got to the point of being like, Okay, they're going to use me for something here. They're not going to just keep having me back for no reason. But it took time, and like I said, that was the easiest one. But to your point, it takes a long time and some people and the hard part about it taking a long time is for some people it happens overnight and it can be frustrating. You know, we're all human beings, especially with social media. When you go on social media and you're comparing your insides to other people's outsides, it's a very complicated place to be. So people are putting up the image of like, look how easy my life is. Everything I auditioned for I get, and you're scrolling like I'm in my underwear. I hate myself. No one writes me back, my mom doesn't even call me. And it can be a really challenging dynamic, you know, to get through, but that's not real.
Speaker 1: You're not seeing what people are really going through.
Speaker 2: So knowing me, because you knew I had kind of a tough year and a half previous to this, I wasn't my happiest. When you looked at my social media, you probably were like, this bitch.
Speaker 1: Is a liar, liar, But I did the same thing.
Speaker 3: My ex wife and I broke up. I went off social for six months, came back on social, was still in horrible shape, and I just made a social media that covered up all the misery and deep pain I was going through. And it's like, here's me doing an interview, here's me doing that, And the truth is I did it to protect myself, but I also hate it because it's so dishonest.
Speaker 2: Disconnected system. I agree with you, but I also don't think that the place to process pain is social media. If that's not for you, that's not where I'm comfortable processing it. So I didn't want to show up on stories crying. I'd rather show up in a moment where I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Not only do I agree with you, but I find wanting to share it interesting.
Speaker 1: It's not for me. I don't understand it.
Speaker 3: I get it when people do it and it's like something silly or you know, not that deep. But if you're going through deep, deep pain, the idea of being like I want to share this with everyone naturally, without having to push yourself to be like this would be good.
Speaker 1: I want to help other people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know when I use the D word on the radio when I first started, when I eventually started saying divorce, it was just because I wanted to, Okay, I have to accept this and live authentically again. Right in the immediacy of it. I had no obligation to people. I don't know your obligations to take care of yourself. And then once you're at a point of being Okay, all right, well, now I want to be authentically me and let people see what's going on here.
Speaker 1: But even in that, I'm not going to be like throwback Thursday.
Speaker 3: Here's a picture of me weeping faced out on my kitchen floor, like I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Here, I want to ask. I know reading is super important to you. Yeah, I love posting about the books that are on your nightstand.
Speaker 2: You say that with a little bit of judgment, but we'll let that slide.
Speaker 1: Not a little bit strong judgment.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm hating because it takes me two years to finish a book, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Always finish them. But whatever, keep going.
Speaker 3: What's a book that really affected you, really maybe affected your perspective on life, something that you think like everyone should should pick up.
Speaker 2: Okay, my favorite book of all time is Tale of Two Cities. I am a hopeless romantic and I love that book. A book that shifted my perspective. I love Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I love Freakonomics before bed. I oftentimes listen to What I Know for Sure by Oprah on Audible. I love her voice and I love her wisdom. I wish everyone could see your face right now. There's so much judgment.
Speaker 1: Your judgment, I mean slight judgment.
Speaker 2: Blake Door g alert.
Speaker 3: All right now, I'm going to steal from you and do my favorite thing that you do in interviews, which is yours Q, your pretty smart question, where you literally have a deck of note cards and pick a question at random and have to answer it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I'm in New York, you're in Los Angeles. I don't have the deck of cards, but you have the questions randomly in front of you. So I want you to pick a random question like you would with one of your guests, and let's ask Danielle the question. Okay, thank you, just like randomly, Yeah, randomly scroll and grab and grab one.
Speaker 2: Okay. Do plants thrive or die in your care? Unfortunately? They die? They died. I die. I actually killed succulents. I think I could kill it cactus. It's so embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Did do you feel a judgment by this?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is there a little bit of self judgment?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: There is. I have sort of a judgment of myself in general of maybe not being a great homemaker per se. I just don't enjoy, like I don't love decorating a space. I don't love taking care of plants, and so I'm not. So you know, you're not really good at things you don't like doing.
Speaker 1: Also, don't have any pets.
Speaker 2: On purpose, like I can't handle that, which I mean you have Bear.
Speaker 3: I like Bear, but was feed into some sort of deep fear you won't be able to take care of another human band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually my chest like sort of I felt something when you said that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I can understand how this line of thought could make you.
Speaker 1: Feel that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I really. It's funny because a guest that I interview that's coming up said this, but I've always wanted a really big career and a big life and a big, loving family, and one of my greatest fears is that you cannot have that all. I think Ruth Bader Ginsburg said you can have it all, but not all at once. My fear in the future is trying to figure that out.
Speaker 1: I guess that's really interesting. I never thought about.
Speaker 2: That, and that's because you're a dude.
Speaker 3: You know. I've really wanted to have a family for a while, and obviously that plan changed, and I often think, am I ever going to have one because I want one badly, And then I'm like, I've lived this life that's so unique relative to everyone else I know in my friends and family, but they all have this wonderful family.
Speaker 1: Will I ever get to have that? Also?
Speaker 2: Can I ask you one question about that? What's your relationship with faith? And I don't mean religiously, I mean like faith that things will work out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty good, it's solid. Everything I've ever accomplished was based on that. You know, it is based on no, I'm going to do that. And you know, my friend Chauncey, who's one of my smartest and most thoughtful, introspective friends. He's literally a philosophy professor at Dickinson University. Yeah, Nazi always describes that his people would ask him about what I was doing and he'd say, oh, Peter's going to be on Hot ninety seven, and they'd be like what, yeah, okay, and He's like, no, he is. And that was sort of I had that faith. I had some people around me who, because of my faith, had that faith, and maybe just because of who they were. The divorce sort of shook a little bit about faith, just in the sense of, like, if I do this that and the next things will return to normal. However, I still have faith that things will end up right. It's just sometimes the thing that you think is supposed to happen, isn't it. You know, my relationship with faith is still pretty good. Plus the George Michael song Faith.
Speaker 2: Amazing Future Man, that's another one that everyone has to listen to.
Speaker 3: All right, So, last question I have for you, smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 2: The first thing that comes up for me is that I always take the road lest ti traveled. My mom always says like, I don't know why you always have to. You make things so hard for yourself. Maybe that's true. I just don't know any other way. I've moved like eight times. I constantly leap without a net. I've quit jobs without other jobs like I just I think I always do the thing that scares me.
Speaker 1: So your smartest decision is making bold decisions.
Speaker 2: Sounds really dumb when you put it that way, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, Oh it doesn't sound dumb.
Speaker 2: Thanks for making me sound pretty stupid.
Speaker 1: I mean, can't that be part of pretty smart?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It is. I mean we can't. We can't all be smart all the time.
Speaker 3: Pretty small, pretty smart and you one can be pretty smart and pretty dumb. But no, I didn't. I didn't think about it that way at all. I just thought it was interesting, that's all.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Smartest decision was moving to LA. If we're gonna yeah, I think moving.
Speaker 1: To LA is that just because you love sugarfish?
Speaker 2: How do you know I love sugar Oh? Because I eat it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I mean just you live in LA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do love sugar fish. That's so.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I think my whole life opened up here when I moved. I did not have one I did not know one single person here, like, not one, not a family member, not a friend, And it was really cool. I got to create my own life.
Speaker 1: You're very very smart. You're more than pretty smart.
Speaker 2: You're very smart, pretty dorky, and pretty dumb, according to you after this interview.
Speaker 3: Narky I would have said before and pretty judgmental about my love of wrestling, but also pretty driven and generally interested, aware, smart, etc.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for your podcast venture. May it reach many people, and may you make more money doing it than I ever have doing podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Rabbi Rosenberg.
Speaker 1: I've never gotten that, and I prefer not to again.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we have a few questions left from Instagram that I want to get to and someone asked the major key for you to be successful? For me, it's moving my body. I got a sweat every single day. The best career advice you've received, I think, don't do it. I would call people for advice and I get a lot of people saying, you know, this is a really hard path, or there is no path. If you're interested in anything else, to do that. And I think that was the best advice because if you are interested in anything else, if you're going to give up, you're gonna give up at that point. So when they said don't do it, I did it anyway, and I think that was the most helpful, honestly. The other piece of advice that I really loved is from a man named Steve, who has been a person who has guided my life more than anybody else. And he said to me, you just have to make good decisions every single day, because I used to say I don't know what the five year plan looks like, I don't know what I want in ten years, and he would say, just make good decisions every single day and hopefully they amount to something. The biggest lesson I've learned so far. I think patience, I used to try and four things, and I'm trying to learn to have some more faith. You know, Peter talked about faith. I think he's better at it than I am. Trying to have more of it and trying to let things flow, not force it as much. Three things about you that I couldn't find on the internet. Hmm, that's funny. I don't know if you could tell from my Instagram, but I'm a die hard Bulls fan. Second thing, I'll had a lot of weird jobs. I used to clean spin bikes and people's sweaty spin shoes at six am in college before class. That was probably the grossest job I've ever had. And I never say never. My mom says it's bad luck. She says, if you say never, then it happens. She can never say never. And I used to kind of be a professional intern. I would work for free all the time. And I remember I got a really coveted internship at the NBC station in Madison, Wisconsin in college. I called my dad. I was so excited and I said I got the NBC internship, and He's like, Danielle, call me when someone's paying you and he hung up. I'll never forget that. What does your mom know about you that you'd be embarrassed if she told other people? I shovel food in my mouth like I think sometimes. I like, if I'm eating salad, I bring the salad to my mouth instead of bringing the fork to my mouth. What is the quality you most respect in another woman? Hmm, I'm gonna say self efficacy. I think you cannot defeat someone who truly knows who they are. And I learned that from Oprah. You really got to know who you are. And that's why questions are so important. The more questions we ask ourselves, the more we know ourselves. What is your life motto or mantra? If you have one, you know, there's two that I always quote. The first one is those who don't believe in magic will never find it, and that's from a Roll Doll book. And the second one is something that I wholeheartedly believe and try to live, which is service is the rent that you pay for room on this Earth? By Shirley Chisholm. All Right, that's it. That's a wrap on the first episode. Second episode is up now too, so I hope you kind of bingam. I'm so excited to do this with you, and I promise to try and earn your attention every single week. There are so many great things out there, There's so many creative, smart, interesting documentaries and shows and podcasts, and I think in this attention economy, you gotta earn it. So I promise to try and earn it from you every single week. I'm going to put a ton into this, really really excited to do this with you. So thank you for tuning in, and today is a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.