Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists. At Comedy Central, It's America's only source for news. It's The Daily Show with your host Michael Costa.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a Dally Show. I'm your hosts Michael Costa, Who've got so much to talk about Tonight, Kamala Harris has a new work husband. We send Jordan Klepper to another MAGA rally, and Ed Helms is here. So let's get to another edition of Indecision twenty twenty four. All right, let's talk about the major news in the presidential Ever since Kamala Harris became the de facto nominee, there have been two questions on everyone's mind. One why does the sun go up and down if the Earth is spinning left to right? And two? Who is going to be Kamala's running mate? Everyone had their own suggestions. Pick someone from a swing stage, pick a good communicator. One guy was like, pick someone with a sick corvette. It's over, Joe, let it go. But most importantly, everyone agreed that it had to be a white man. Well, today we found out if Kamala listened. We begin this hour with the breaking news from the presidential campaign trail where Vice President Harris has chosen Minnesota Governor Tim Walls to be her running mate. Hmm, hang on, hang on, it's a white man. It's a white man. Yeah, yeah, I should have known. And I have a cousin who's white, So this is big news. Kamala Harris has selected Minnesota Governor Tim Walls as a running mate, and the reactions are pouring in.
Speaker 4: I think Tim Walls could be an excellent governing partner d Kamala Harris and a real asset here.
Speaker 5: He does come across as someone who is really relatable.
Speaker 3: Somebody that people just enjoy spending time with.
Speaker 5: A Trump campaign fundraising text message that went out to supporters goes quote Tim Walls will unleash hell on Earth.
Speaker 3: Okay, but mostly positive. One on leash hell on Earth, but mostly positive. Obviously there's some disagreement here, so let's find out about this Tim Walls, which, by the way, it's not Waltz, it's Walls w Alz. You see, he's suffering from low T Trump. You can have that one if you want. Now. Obviously I already know all about Tim Walls, as I have a well of knowledge about every governor in America, even the ones from the boring states. But since you guys have probably never heard of this guy before, I googled him in a panic on your behalf this morning, and what I found out is that Tim Walls has got a lot done as governor. He legalized marijuana, passed family. Yeah it's a weed crowd. Yeah, he passed family and sickly. He codified abortion rights, and he provided and he provided free meals for all school kids, which which makes him ironic VP PIC Democrats said, man, you've done so much as governor, we'd like to promote you to a position where you'll do absolutely nothing. But if you ask me, his appeal to this ticket isn't just the record as governor. It says overall vibe, you know, and that vibe it's Midwestern dad as.
Speaker 6: F Hey, everybody, Tim here eleven days till the election. But it's my pro tip of the day out on the road. I got to show you this. This right here is the headlight harness on a twenty fourteen Ford edge Ford.
Speaker 3: This is unacceptable.
Speaker 7: It burned out hot on the connector.
Speaker 6: So for seven ninety nine at NAPA Auto Partoo in the city.
Speaker 3: You can replace this.
Speaker 6: Just clip off the back you some shrink wrap connectors on their tape it back together and put it back in. It's about a five minute fix and you're back on the road, safe and sound well.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ. That is the most dad video I've ever seen in my life. That is a man who watches band of brothers while standing up with his arms crossed. If this dude becomes vice president, they're going to find him out on the White House lawn changing the oil on a Predator drone. Don't call it pentagon. They'll charge you an norm and a leg. All it needs is a counter song head bolt. Come here, I'll show you.
Speaker 8: Come here.
Speaker 3: Now. Here's another classic Midwestern dad thing. He's got a gen Z daughter and he doesn't quite understand it.
Speaker 6: Every year we as a family do something old and something new.
Speaker 3: But then we're gonna go get.
Speaker 7: Some food, corn dogs, I'm vegetarian, turkey.
Speaker 8: Then he's trying so hard. He's trying so hard.
Speaker 3: You don't eat meat, well, fishes and meat and turkey's kind of like fit, let's get a cheeseburger. And also it makes it hard, makes it harder for the alt right to call you a soy boy when you're like bison is a vegetable. And Tim Walls is not just a Midwestern dad now, He's been a Midwestern dad his whole life. He's serving the National Guard. He has his own award winning tater tots hot dish. How much more Midwestern can he get?
Speaker 9: In nineteen ninety four, he married fellow school teacher, Gwyn Walls. They moved to Mankato in the mid nineties, where he began teaching and coaching football at Mankato West High School.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he was a small town high school football coach. And he's been married for thirty years. And he's eating a bucket of cookies. Leave it to Minnesota to measure cookies by the bucket. This guy is almost too Midwestern. Even his bad stuff is still Midwestern.
Speaker 9: In nineteen ninety five, Tim Walls was arrested in Nebraska for driving under the influence. He was driving ninety six miles an hour in a fifty five mile per hour zone.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean, of course he was driving that fast. He had to get home before he heard anybody driving drunk. He's from the Midwest, I should know, so, yes, Tim Walls has a duy arrest, but just one, so no wonder voters elected him governor. He's the most responsible driver in the whole Midwest. For more on the selection of Tim Malls, we go live to the announcement rally with our Josh Johnson.
Speaker 6: Josh, Josh, what's the word on this kick?
Speaker 9: People are liking this decision, Bible because Tim Wallas bounces the ticket.
Speaker 7: Kamala Harris is a woman.
Speaker 3: He's a man.
Speaker 9: She's from California, he's from the Midwest. She is young and he is old.
Speaker 3: No, actually, Josh, they're the same age.
Speaker 1: No, No, they're not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're the same age. Yeah they are. There's no way that's true.
Speaker 9: You're telling me Kamala Harris is the same age as Batman. Looks like the skipper from Gilligan's Iselde.
Speaker 3: I know, look, I know, but they're born six months apart. I think you a damn liar.
Speaker 9: But whatever, because the most important dynamic here is that she is black and he is the right type of white guy.
Speaker 3: Right type of white guy. What do you mean there's just white guys.
Speaker 9: You can't see it because you're in it. But there's many, many types of white guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna have to stop you right there because I find that offensive.
Speaker 9: And that makes sense because you are the type of white guy who's easily offended. All right, But there's lots of other types. You got hipsters, jocks, nerds, those guys that always scream what's God, no one knows where they're going.
Speaker 3: I see some of those types are gonna like Walls, but some are gonna like jd Vance exactly.
Speaker 9: Walls appeals to the older white guy who always tells the same joke to the server at Denny's.
Speaker 3: I mean the one where he points.
Speaker 9: To his empty plate and says, I guess I hated it.
Speaker 3: That's a great joke, because he clearly loved it. Meanwhile.
Speaker 9: Jd Vance appeals to the older white guys who say things like I'm not racist, but and then say the most racist shit you've ever heard. Tim Walls appeals to white guys who hang in American flag. Jd Vance appeals to white guys who hang a bunch of American flags.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 9: Tim Walls appeals to white guys who call PBS to make a donation. Jd Vance appeals to white guys who call Fox News to say their gold coins haven't arrived in the mail.
Speaker 3: You know, I was too close to the situation that I missed the nuance. There's different white guys, just like there's different black guys. Like you know, there's a kind of a black guy.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna stop you right there, Michael, You right, okay, But as you're fri you're correct. But for your career sake, I'm gonna ask you not to start name in the different type of black guys right now.
Speaker 3: Well, look, and I'll be the type of white guy who listens to the black guy Josh Johnson. Everybody, when you come back, Jordan's bloper goes to Chuck Rowy. You don't want to miss it. I was really helpful. Welcome back to.
Speaker 10: The The other show today is all about Tim Walls.
Speaker 3: But Donald Trump is still out on the campaign trail, and that means Jordan Klepper is too. Check it out.
Speaker 5: The last three weeks have been some of the most eventful and American political history. So I went to Harrisburg to see how the MAGA world is reflecting on these serious times. First, I want to know how they're coping with the loss of their favorite punching back I've seen you many many times too. One number rally we have eighty two? Are you sad about the Joe Biden chant being retired?
Speaker 1: I'm sad because of all I've invested in, all this sad time writing gear.
Speaker 5: How much Let's Go brand and anti Joe Biden merch did you have?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Thousands of Is that right?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 1: I buy it at that Let's Go Brandon store in Thom's Riverno, Jersey.
Speaker 5: Do they have to rename that?
Speaker 1: I think they're gonna have to rename how.
Speaker 5: About one more for old times sake?
Speaker 3: Joe and the hoe?
Speaker 5: And now the name calling of Vice President Harris begins. If they could only decide how to mispronounce that name.
Speaker 7: I'm surprised Kamala even has a chance.
Speaker 5: No one likes Kamala in.
Speaker 3: And that's why I don't like to hear about the Kamala thing.
Speaker 5: Why do you say your name like that? How do you say it?
Speaker 1: Kamala?
Speaker 3: It's Kamala, Kamala, Kamala.
Speaker 1: Kamala, Kamala, Kamala.
Speaker 5: There you go. I appreciate that you're trying to say the name correctly.
Speaker 1: Yes, I actually I'm not, but I indvertently you know. I would you want to say it, Kamala? It's the way Bush used to say, Sadam, who's sing Sadam?
Speaker 5: Did you work shopping elevating Kamala to Saddam Hussain levels?
Speaker 1: Kamala Harris is a bigger.
Speaker 5: Threat, more anti American than Saddam.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, the most anti American candidate for president. We were ahead.
Speaker 5: I gotta tell you, if I ran into you three weeks ago, you might have said that about Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: Yet, do you think Kamala is qualified to be president?
Speaker 4: Somebody to cackles all the time and laughs and everything under their son?
Speaker 7: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: A woman experiencing joy and not your thing?
Speaker 3: She's useless. She's back pedaling on all her previous comments.
Speaker 5: Is that your issue with her?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 7: What do you like about JD.
Speaker 5: Vans?
Speaker 3: He's a man of the people.
Speaker 5: Think he'll stand up for Trump? Yeah, bants will stand up to the people who compare Donald Trump to Hitler. What happens if those people are also JD. Vans? He has acquainted Donald Trump to Hitler, America's Hitler.
Speaker 7: Years ago he flipped flop.
Speaker 3: People can change, Yeah, but I still like parents. There you go.
Speaker 5: Apparently writing a book about your opioid addicted family makes you more qualified than any black woman could ever be.
Speaker 7: I heard she got up the ladder on her back.
Speaker 5: Right, but millions of beautiful voted for Kamala Harris. Did she sleep with all of that? I just don't.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 5: But how do you sleep your way to the top of elected positions? I don't know how she got to where she is, except if the word is DEI you know, what do you think of jd Vance? I think he picked him for vote to the russ Belt. Diversity on the.
Speaker 11: Ticket, diversity on his ticket.
Speaker 5: Over the years, the Magakrawt has faced a lot of criticism, but none more stinging than the line of attack started by Kamala's new VP candidate Tim Wallas.
Speaker 3: These guys are just clear, these are weird people.
Speaker 5: On the other side, Democrats are trying to call the Maga movement weird. What do you think of that?
Speaker 3: It's I mean, it's I don't know what's weird about it?
Speaker 5: Is it fair though, to call the Macha movement and inherently an unseerious movement?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Do you think the discourse has gotten too too ridiculous. I think so, yeah, Yeah, yeah, I did think something that from an outside perspective, it feels like you come to a manga event and there isn't a seriousness. It's not about people trying to fix America. It feels like a carnival. Yeah. Is that a fair critique?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 8: Good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's there. These are people who are just genuinely care about the country.
Speaker 5: People come here, they want to talk politics, yes, they want to talk about gods that, they want to talk abortion rights.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 5: This isn't a freaking carnival. Yeah, it's not Halloween. We're not all dressing up like lunatics. It's a serious thing here, absolutely, yeah, absolutely absolutely. You do know you're wearing that hat right now? Okay. The rally was just three weeks after a truly tragic day in US politics. The official story was that the assassination attempt was committed by a disturbed young man who was a registered publican. But this crowd isn't always into official stories. I think people on both sides can agree that was a horrific moment in our history. It was looking back at it do you believe the things you hear?
Speaker 7: Oh? No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I believe it's an inside job.
Speaker 7: The shooting was.
Speaker 5: An inside job.
Speaker 3: A lot of things aren't adding up.
Speaker 1: It's very strange.
Speaker 7: I think that was a playing job.
Speaker 5: Anybody with any common sense knows that was a playing job, played by who, good.
Speaker 3: Dams, the left, the deep state. Obama is involved in this.
Speaker 5: Do you think Obama set up the assassination attempt?
Speaker 3: I think he surely knew about it.
Speaker 5: Oh, it is the government, for sure, it's government, I think so. You think they would go through all of this? I mean, when they really wanted to take out Trump, would' they just poison the big mac.
Speaker 9: It's a dance to FBI, the.
Speaker 3: Special Service.
Speaker 5: Does it surprise you to hear that it was a disgruntled white guy, Republican gut nut.
Speaker 7: No, because you know what wouldn't. But no, why he was picked.
Speaker 5: It's kind of the perfect cover.
Speaker 9: Exactly if they could have gotten an insquontled black guy, and I'm not I have no problem, and.
Speaker 7: They could have gotten a disquontled black female.
Speaker 3: But no, they picked the disquntle.
Speaker 5: The scruntled white guy who's into guns at a Trump rolly, like a wear two situation. Yes, like, oh my god, who who doesn't fit that profile exactly right?
Speaker 2: And just about the security and everything, there's like something wasn't right there from from the beginning.
Speaker 3: So it gets me. It's like this kid was able to get an AR fifteen that year. What the hell?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't add up, and that adds up so cleanly.
Speaker 3: It feels too easy. Exactly, there's no paper. They can only go so for and it's like a dead end.
Speaker 5: It's a situation where like you want to connect the two dots, but it's just much easier to go all the way around exactly exactly exactly, and we can.
Speaker 10: Back added Alms and then joining me on the show, but don't welcome back to roshop.
Speaker 3: My guest tonight was an actor, writer, producer who hosts a podcast about history's greatest screw ups called Snaffu. Please welcome back, Ed Helms.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, I have to say, John Stewart, you looking crazy.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for that. I'll think its a compliment because I watched John Stewart my whole life, and now I'm sitting in the chair that he sits on occasionally on mondays, Yeah, let's talk about your podcast and then we'll get into the Daily Show because I got to ask you about working here at the Daily Show. But your podcast second season is called snaff Fu and it's about the break in of the FBI offices. Yes, and the Washington reporter who reported on Yes, what the are you doing? I thought you worked in comedy.
Speaker 7: I just say yes, Yes, that's all I do in interviews.
Speaker 4: Yes, So okay, it is a podcast about it's called Snafoo.
Speaker 7: It's about history's greatest screw ups. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Season one we talked about this.
Speaker 4: Incredible story about a NATO military exercise that almost in nineteen eighty three that almost turned into a nuclear holocaust, a big deal.
Speaker 7: And it's really kind of actually darkly funny. Season two that's out now.
Speaker 3: We talk about.
Speaker 4: These incredible activists in nineteen seventy one who felt like the FBI was getting a little out of hand and starting to harass people and surveyal people. And they were right, but they didn't have any way to prove it. So they broke into an office, an FBI office. They just broke into the FBI. And it's as hard as it sounds, and they stole a bunch of documents and then they started to leak them to a reporter at the Washington Post named Betty Metzger, who was very courageous and published them.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then years.
Speaker 4: Later, by the way, this all led to lots of fallout the Church Committee hearings, which then led to congressional oversight of the FBI and the CIA and the NSA and all these things. So it's a very very big deal with these people did. It's largely forgotten, sadly, but Betty Metzger then wrote a book in twenty fourteen, and that's what that is, The Burglary, and it's an incredible story.
Speaker 3: Forty percent of the case files that the crew stole dealt with surveillance of legal political activity.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 3: One percent cover organized crime. Right, It's like what I do and by the way, I don't. I don't really know, but I feel like that could also pertain to today's date. Well, it's just it's like that was when Jag can read you another one, even though it's your podcast. Yes, my boy, the document revealed that every black student at Swarthmore College was under FBI surveillance. I mean, what the heck is going on. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Basically, if if Jaigar Hoover thought that you were like some hooligan, which was anyone who opposed the Vietnam War, anyone involved in the civil rights movement, and anyone with long.
Speaker 3: Hair, that one I get.
Speaker 4: Of course, if Jayed Groover thought you were like a problem for society, he was going to surveil and harass you, and the entire FBI apparatus was going to do that too. And thankfully these burglars proved that was happening, and it was fixed for.
Speaker 3: A little while. Yeah, and then there was the Patriot Act and.
Speaker 4: All kinds of the Cold War and lots of other complicating factors. But it is still it's a it's an important question to always be asking, like, are we protecting our civil civil liberties enough? Does law enforcement have enough power? Probably?
Speaker 7: What is the where's the line?
Speaker 3: But ed? But Ed, I don't do anything wrong. I don't care if they tap into my computer. Same here, head, Ed, what's the big d put a piece of scotch tape over my webcam when I'm masturbated? It doesn't matter? Yeah, what does it matter you masturbate? Oh my gosh, let's talk about this I'm just I'm just doing I'm just doing. First of all, I want to go on the record and say I do not masturbate, and that was no. But that is a kickback response. I can envision someone saying, I don't have anything to hide with the big deal about So what is the big deal about surveilling?
Speaker 4: And you're right, I think a lot of people ask that with it just when it comes up, when law enforcement power comes.
Speaker 7: Up, like, yeah, I'm not doing anything wrong, But what the problem with surveillance?
Speaker 4: When it's done on such a huge scale and you're surveilling people who are not doing anything wrong, it then becomes leverage over you that you have no control over it. And so if for any reason, the FBI or some institution wants to implicate you for any reason, they suddenly have the leverage to do so, whether or not you've done something wrong.
Speaker 7: And that's very scary and it's not.
Speaker 3: Okay talk about because this was fascinating to me. They burglarized the FBI office and they sent these copies of files out to a lot of different people, but only one of them, this woman was createous enough to report. I mean, what was that like for her?
Speaker 4: That's a great question. So Betty Medsker was was a very young reporter at the Washington Post. She receives this envelope. It's full of FBI files.
Speaker 3: She's like, what the hell with this?
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, the burglars also sent copies of the files, as you mentioned, to uh, some senators and some other reporters. The senators immediately turned them over to the FBI. The other reporters chickened out. But Betty Medzger and the sort of brass at the Washington Post which later, of course, uh, you know Woodward Burnstein, Watergate and and and the Pentagon papers that all came after this.
Speaker 7: But but they they were courageous enough to put this out here. And I'm really and really.
Speaker 4: Betty Medsker is a force of nature, and she's in the podcast. She she worked with us to sell this stories great. In the podcast, she tells the story of after this this got published, the article, not the book, She picked up the phone to call her friend and the FBI is just on the line, say what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's this is this is.
Speaker 7: Exactly what the burglars were trying.
Speaker 3: This is why I put Scotch tape on my computer. Is this why you master?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: They so they Yeah, so she put this article gets published in the dew Yer Times. She picks up her phone like the next day, and so there's a voice on her phone that says, who are you trying to call?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So messed up?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great, it's a great. Listen, it's fun. You're somehow funny in it even though it's a serious topic. Thank you, so good job. Speaking of funny, The office, the hangover, the Daily Show? What is that?
Speaker 6: What is.
Speaker 3: What does that evoke? What is that evoke? Those images?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 5: My god?
Speaker 3: Do you remember the State? The Los Angeles green screen? Well, sorry, I mean on location. I was in a cocaine fever dream the whole time. I don't know I have It's so fun to come back here. I just love I have such fond memories.
Speaker 4: It's been like eighteen years since I worked here, which is incredible.
Speaker 7: But I have to say I've watched the show ever since I left. I still love it.
Speaker 4: And you guys, this crop of correspondence, you guys are crushing it.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 9: It is.
Speaker 2: If you.
Speaker 3: If you had to pick one, understand it. Oftentimes, when I'm out in the field doing something that is hard, doing a piece on the desk. Being here, I always wondering is this helping me somehow? Is this gonna help me later? And should I be focused in the present moment? Yes, sure, but you come to me from the future, yes, right, And You've gone on to do all these great comedy things and now this season two of the podcast and eff but what has helped you from the Daily Show as you moved on? Nothing?
Speaker 4: Nothing, I will say I have a good answer to that qu answer, and it is the The Daily Show is was my first like real comedy job, and it taught me really through through John's example, like the discipline and the focus and the hard work that it takes and and some of the like the real like sweat that it takes to create good comedy or just good product, like it's hard work, and that I've carried that with me for for years since since then, and uh, this.
Speaker 3: Is where I started.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 3: We are. That's great, that's awesome. Are there any are there any field pieces you did that now would be considered an HR nightmare? Is there anything that anything that comes to minds? Yes, an HR nightmare? I think, Yeah, Well, we actually have HR different, We actually have HR now okay, well there you go, yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there were no HR nightmares twenty years ago because of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, the reason that they have. But yeah, what comes to mind anything that's like, you know, conventions? Should I should I create a fresh HR nightmare?
Speaker 9: By no?
Speaker 4: I have Gosh, I have so many great memories. I really loved going to the conventions. Right the are you guys headed to this?
Speaker 3: We are, We're going to Chicago.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I had like we have real press credentials. I remember, this is uh, this is this is really funny. We got to the the Republican Convention, which was at Madison Square Garden just down the street, and we get to the security checkpoint and Rob Quadrey forgot his driver's license and everyone had to have a picture I D so we're like, oh god, and then he looks up and.
Speaker 7: Rob goes, does that count as a picture?
Speaker 3: ID?
Speaker 4: And Comedy Central had bought a giant billboard all over our faces and our names right next to Madison Square Garden. It was the Indecision two thousand and two or four or whatever, and the security guard was like, yeah, yeah, I guess that's it.
Speaker 3: Different times. That's amazing. That's amazing that Comedy Central bought a billboard. Yes, thank you for sitting down with that. You're one of my favorites. That's really on Snaffoo new episodes of Snackhoo Member or weekly.
Speaker 10: I mean, iHeartRadio app I never left podcasts I heard at home.
Speaker 3: You bet put back. You're right back after this.
Speaker 4: Thaso show.
Speaker 3: That's a show for tonight. Hot here it is your moment of zund.
Speaker 11: On the way to the flight in Cincinnati, I guess in northern Kentucky, I actually called Tim Watz. I left a voicemailding get him, but I just said, look, congratulations, look forward to her most conversation and enjoy the ride, and maybe he'll call me back.
Speaker 5: Maybe one.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 1: Paramount Podcasts