Speaker 1: See It's Trand one day.
Speaker 2: Since you guys did me Hello the Internet and welcome to this episode of It's Trand, you guys to me, Sorry, I forgot I did the Hello the Internet up top. I've only done this show three thousand times.
Speaker 1: My name's Jack.
Speaker 2: That over there is Miles and these are some of the things that are trending. That uh, It's Trand is courtesy of Vanadium Silver the Discord. Okay, always on point with the trending titles. And yeah, that's you're You're welcome for putting that song.
Speaker 3: In your head. Yeah, I love those songs. I was just thinking I saw it of I don't know why. I just popped up on my feet of Blues Traveler performing on Howard Stern.
Speaker 1: That is unshakeable. He was hitting the hook so the.
Speaker 2: Ring, I mean, they knew that shit was hooky and they need the song after it They're like, and yeah, motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Is talking about a shepherd is he talking about? Uh? Like performing on the at the Apollo Theater And.
Speaker 2: You get as I don't think those Travelers ever performed at the Apollo weirdly, which is weird.
Speaker 3: You would have expected John Popper, bro you could get in there. You can get in there with that voice and your harmonica skills.
Speaker 2: Come on, now, I've talked about my kid's favorite musician, Perry Gripp, who has a bunch of songs that are just manufactured ear work like it seems like his music. He used to be in a band that a lot of people know. That's name is escaping me right now. But when I brought him up, people like, are you talking about this guy? He's a child children's musician now he is, and his songs oh nerf hearder, Yes, his.
Speaker 1: Songs Sillsbury Grip is his name.
Speaker 2: His songs seem like they were manufactured by the CIA for the purposes of like enhanced interrogation. They're hell yeah, my kids fucking love them. There's one like a turtle, Turtle, don't dump that turtle. Dam d d dum dum dude. That's a tortoise. Turtle turtle, and I haven't stuck in my head every morning when I wake up.
Speaker 3: Turtle. That's Jerry Ferrara.
Speaker 2: All right, Uh, we we introduced ourselves. Let's get into some of the things that are trending.
Speaker 3: Well, allow us to reintroduce ourselves.
Speaker 2: My name is Jack oh to the b Ryan to the all right, we're tuping in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all kinds of trends. I mean, look, I think the one let's start off with a bit of good news, right because right now, from everything we read in the words that Trump says out of his mouth, it feels like he's gape, getting gaping, he's gaming gaping mouth, he's gearing up to potentially never listen to a judge ever again. But for the moment, some of the courts are able to at the very least delay some of this bullshit until the Supreme Court probably hears it. But for now that's fine. But with specifically Trump's anti trans military band, it just got fucking destroyed in court by Judge Reyes. They they had the fortune of this, uh, this case being heard by d C's first openly gay federal judge, and she wasn't having any of this bullshit. I just want to read a few excerpts from the court transcripts. So first, it's just like again, the whole thing is about pronouns or trans people being in the military actually is bad for everything. So that's why it can't it can't have That's why we need discrimination. So this is Judge Rays, Attorney Jason Lynch absolutely absolutely be very nervous, to be very nervous. Here we go, Judge Rays. Can we agree that the greatest fighting force is not going to be impacted in any way, in any way by less than one percent of the soldiers using a different pronoun than others might want to call them.
Speaker 1: Well, now, I can't agree with that here, Okay.
Speaker 3: Would you agree with me that if the military is negatively impacted in any kind of way that matters from the use of pronouns. We all have a lot of bigger problems than pronoun use. We have a military that is incompetent. Any common sense, rational human being knows that it doesn't. It is pretext. It is frankly ridiculous. If you can get me an officer of the United States Military who is willing to get on the stand and say that because of pronoun usage, the US military is less prepared, I will be the first to give you a box of cigars.
Speaker 2: Ooh, a box of cigars. Now you're talking about language. Okay, that wasn't in the transfer, That was not a transcript. The judge did say, like, I'll give you ten fucking days, go ahead, like, I'll even let you try and find someone that will debase themselves in front of the court like this.
Speaker 3: Go see, go see what you got. Then went on to then talking about this isn't even like half the fucking wild ship that was coming out of this exchange. Another one was talking about because there's all this stuff about quote, radical gender ideology in the executive Order. This is what the judge asked Jason Lynch of the DJ If you can't articulate what radical gender ideology means, how is the Defense secretary going to know what it means.
Speaker 2: I'm really low to speculate what the President had in mind when he signed this order.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, it's not like I randomly picked you off the street. You're the government's representative here.
Speaker 1: That's not like r.
Speaker 2: That's here to argue that ship. Are simply could not to speculate, countryman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, holy shit, And then goes on to just talk about like the animus of all of it, and then just saying like, in this executive Order, you're calling people who are trained gender or have different or want to use different pronouns described as dishonest, dishonorable, undisciplined, immodest, lack integrity, like goes on to like all these things like how is this like how is this not expressing animus? And he's like, well no, and just it's like, let me answer this for you, and then just continues to cook. Right now, this is obviously this this is still being heard, so we don't have any sort of conclusion to this, but it feels like this is not going to go the way that the transphobes wanted to. And also a federal judge did grant a preliminary injunction because the Bureau of Prisons was again they wanted there was another order that would require like transgender women to be in like male in like inmate facilities, and that those, thank god stopped. Yeah, like just non stop violence.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so Trump's response to this is to write an executive order being like I'm king, actually right, nothing applies.
Speaker 1: I say, what the law is is that basically.
Speaker 3: So that like the headlines were new Trump Executive Order that only he and the Attorney General will are that like basically the arbiters of what the quote law is. And a lot of people took that because of everything. And Trump is saying to mean he will decide which laws apply to him and which laws do not apply to him?
Speaker 1: But what is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, where's Rob Schneider for that comic relief next to him? But anyway, what this EO is about specifically is like basically taking away any independence from agencies like the SEC. So what he's saying here is that like they will have final say over what these agencies decide what new regulations and laws are, rather than rather than these agencies having the independence to do that in terms of what is the best for X, Y or z. So that's that's what he's saying. He's basically again saying, no, I get to tell everyone what to do. Sorry.
Speaker 2: It really is interesting all the ways that like a mayor's soft, like just all of the bad habits that we've been in for the past decades, just thinking about the Judge Dread thing that like Judge Dread is explicitly a movie or a comic series that's about fascism, and where Judge Dread is like bad guy, and then there made the Hollywood movie version of it, and they're like, well, we got to make Stallone the good guy, and so they just make a movie about how fascism is good, right, and that's what we have as like our main touchstone. For a guy screaming I am the law?
Speaker 3: Was it one of the guys, like like the one one of the judges who had half a brain, They're like, all right, you got you got to go to the Curse of Earth. Bro. We've heard enough of you. We heard enough of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's pretty pretty bad. We've been pretty lazy for a long time. Our ideas, the ideas we let get through are pretty fucked right, and so I feel like we're super set up. We've been nicely tenderized for this fascist roasting that we're about to undergo. I don't obviously, I'm not a chef, so I knowe that culinary metaphor probably didn't make sense. But anyways, Hey, here's some good news, miles. iPhone is releasing a new iPhone. I love because it's going to be the cheapest one that they're offering. It's got cheapest in the headline, which might lead you to believe, wait a second, to iPhones just get cheaper. Unfortunately, no, they did not, So Apple just announced It's interesting how this is framed. Apple just announced its most affordable phone will now be the iPhone sixteen E.
Speaker 3: Which will cost five hundred and ninety nine dollars in future.
Speaker 2: Their AI system that they go AI now stands for Apple Intelligence because they got a AI in the iPhone and it works, It works good and never gets anything wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like one hundred and fifty dollars I think more than the last se Yeah, of like model device, like the comparable device, and they're trying to fucking wow. People have been like, well, it's got AI, and yet nobody fucking uses I have it, and all it does is tell me weird summaries of text threads of things that have happened, like our friend Daniel joined some celebrity entourage when that didn't happen. But that's what the AI summary said when I didn't read the texts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they just get They also summarized a series of BBC News stories with this Luigi Mangione shoots himself Syria mother hopes Hassad.
Speaker 1: Pays the price. People are like, wait, what, huh?
Speaker 2: How it shoots himself in prison? Got that incorrect, didn't didn't quite nail it. Apple Intelligence hasn't exactly been a slam dunk, but yeah, just so it's the least expensive model currently on offer. It is forty percent more expensive than the last introductory model, which is I think that's inflation, and they are that's what we'll call it, But they're like, how does this not get called inflation? They're choosing to charge more because people are buying fewer iPhones. They're not like charging for a new, better feature, Like nobody wants the fucking.
Speaker 1: Eye I have you heard?
Speaker 3: It's at Apple Intelligence. You can do like fucking creepy images of your kid with the Image Playground, and your kid can be playing Mortal Kombat with a friend in Vietnam if they wanted to.
Speaker 2: Just don't understand how like what the disconnect is between like stories like this where it's like, yeah, now it's going to be forty percent more expensive, but it's the least expensive model, so just think of this as inexpensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then when.
Speaker 2: People are like I think inflation might be caused by corporations choosing to charge more, people like that is a child's understanding of what inflation is, right, How do.
Speaker 1: Are you cool?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I mean because I think at this point it's stories like this and just generally looking at our own media literacy in this country and what the media is doing. It's not it's not real like there are journalists out there. But for the most part, these are communication pr machines for corporations to tell consumers what's happening in the world rather than community like not, rather than things that consumers think they need to know from us, like just other people being like what the fuck, Like there's MSNB season, Like what the fuck? Why is this thing more expensive? This sounds like greed. They're gonna like they'll be like, wow, it's got the oh I love playing with d image playground all right, yeah, good story. So gazas, but are gonna be a casino? Don't we love it?
Speaker 1: Okay? Next love it folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at these pool designs that they have for a gaza. Like people are doing the research, you know, because obviously these companies are doing research behind closed doors, asking like man, like you're I had always assumed, Okay, people are excited about AI. The way these corporations are acting, people must be fucking psyched about AI, and so people, you know, the media has like gone out and done the polling, and the research has shown that consumers don't give a shit about having AI.
Speaker 3: And their phones.
Speaker 2: Right, They basically their sales are down two percent from their peak in twenty twenty two, and they need something and they don't have anything else. Yeah, and so they're just going with this thing that is contributing to climate change, the climate catastrophe.
Speaker 1: Pet. But yeah, Pet, like the surveys.
Speaker 2: Have found, AI hasn't been a major reason that people are buying new phones. The research director at Counterpoint Research said, people are buying phones for the same reason they always have. The battery isn't recharging, or the phone is aging and not working.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, just go back to your planned obsolescent model. That's don't even fucking yeah, just make my phone break so I have to go to the fucking store and get another one because no one. Look at the polling around, no one fucking wants.
Speaker 2: Yeah Starty from last year found that seventy three percent of iPhone users think the AI features quote add little to no value to the product.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah. Brian in the chat also raised the point, Yeah, like the tariffs and component costs, those are going to go up, so of course they're being passed along. But again that's another dimension of a store you can bring up too. It's like, yeah, well, President Aswig decided to just go fucking full on, like fuck the economy up mode. That's another reason on top of corporate greed is the malfeasance of the president. But anyway, uh right, yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, and we're back. There was another plane crash. So I do feel like we're at the point with the plane crashes where we're now reporting every plane crash. And so there was a private lane crash in Arizona.
Speaker 3: Messed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're like somebody found a screw.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying definitely, the air travel has grown way more precarious. I just want to distinguish between the commercial air crash in d C and uh, you know, the commercial plane flipping over after doing a belly flop in Toronto, and then you know when they're private plane crashes.
Speaker 1: I just feel like.
Speaker 2: Those are uh more, those those were happening for the past decade, that those hadn't been made obsolete. It the whole system is a fucking disaster and is vastly underfunded and underemployed, and they don't have enough people. And obviously Trump is to blame for that, but I just also want to make sure that we're viewing all the stories in the proper context, right right, right, yeah, yeah, So obviously never want.
Speaker 3: To lay off trump Man.
Speaker 2: To lay off Trump and let him cook with these National Parks. I do just want to talk about the National Parks. You know, lots of different parts of the federal government are continuing to be dismantled by.
Speaker 1: Trump and Musk.
Speaker 2: But they just fired one thousand employees from the National Parks. Then they're reinstating five thousand seasonal jobs which were rescinded during last months hiring freeze, which makes sense to me because it feels like they're trying to turn working for the National Parks into like seasonal gigwork like they do with everything.
Speaker 3: It's like if they got one cushy federal job, no, they should be flipping around cobbling together three two to three jobs to survive.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And then our employment numbers go up, so it seems like things are going well while the jobs just get fucking way way worse. That's something that both the Democrats and Republicans can agree on. Mm hmm, but yeah, I mean Democrats sent a letter warning that the freeze meant the national parks would be short staffed in the summer, which would lead to potentially life threatening situations if anyone needed medical attention. And so they're like, fine, you can have these five thousand gig workers, right, And yeah, I mean but people like workers at Yosemite are talking about how this is going to kill the long term health of the parks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just the shit that they have to forego because of these cuts, like they have actual they have to do like burns, controlled burns to help the shit from fucking erupting in flames. And they're like, we can't even We had to put that off because they just cut up. They just cut the money off. So now we're sort of at higher risk now because of all of this bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will be more vulnerable to a catastrophic fire in the future as a result of not being able to do the prescribed burns. A federal firefighter with direct knowledge of the situation set so a bit of good news, some have theorized, and by the way, this good news is completely fictional. Some have theorized that Trump's plan will be to give the parks back to indigenous nations, which is a good idea that activists have been pushing for for years. Shockingly, that doesn't seem to be his actual plan. He has previously announced his intention to exploit federal lands, including national parks, for resources, including oil, and he's already signed an executive order that allows them to do this, which was easy to miss in the flurry of evil executive orders.
Speaker 3: That's one of the things that it is wild.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: The thing about like sort of the pseudo land back aspect of returning national parks to like indigenous Americans is it feels like the way the language is sort of presented feels like someone trying to convince a conservative to do it. They're like, yeah, and then give it to them because then it's going to be there fault, So then maybe that'll work. I don't know, just an idea. I don't know. Maybe it's not coming from a good faith place. But anyway, I'm an oil lobbyist, and can you make me in charge of the Bureau of Land Management? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, great, thanks, yes.
Speaker 2: So the plan to like open it up to drilling is straight out of Project twenty twenty five and specifically a chapter that was written by William Perry Pendley who is basically Daniel Plainview from There will be Blood.
Speaker 3: Deny sue Paul Thomas Anderson because he said he was completely ripping off his whole life.
Speaker 1: That's my shit, dude, that's my duel. Shit.
Speaker 3: You just I fell down a tiny mind shaft and broke my arm in the opening scene.
Speaker 1: Opening scene, I beat a guy to death with a bowling pin.
Speaker 3: Spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: But yeah.
Speaker 2: He once argued that all public land in the West should be sold off to private investors.
Speaker 3: I totally shit.
Speaker 2: The national parks are like one of the really good things about America, like that, it's amazing that we have it.
Speaker 1: And that's what That's really what Trump just wanted to watch.
Speaker 3: There's a manifest destiny, dude. That is the sickest prize for manifest destiny for all the fucking parks. Bruh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: According to one environmentalist, this chapter of the Project twenty twenty five is an oil lobbyist fever dream straight out of the nineteenth century. Pendley was Trump's acting director of the Bureau of Land Management from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty one, and he was so corrupt that his list of quote potential conflicts was seventeen pages long, and a judge ruled he was occupying the position illegally, but he refused to leave.
Speaker 3: No squatting. Okay, okay, yeah yeah. The new BLM director again Bureau of Land Management is Kathleen Scamma. I thought it said Schmegma Scamma, and again currently the president of an oil and gas lobbying firm. So I don't yeah, yeah, uh huh. We'll see what happens there.
Speaker 1: We'll see what again.
Speaker 2: It's like national parks are It's not just me saying national parks are nice to have.
Speaker 1: They're hugely popular.
Speaker 2: So like when families start rolling up to parks only to find that they're like just full of oil drills, like pump jacks and like and on fire, maybe that will move the needle for Trump.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're so deep into the President Biff timeline from Back to the Future too. I just feel like we're everyone's just like.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's not gonna be a moment where you're gonna be able to look at MAGA and say, dude, look what this folded? Now?
Speaker 1: Do you get it?
Speaker 3: No, the human ego prevents that from happening, especially people who are this all in on their backwards idea, Like they're not going to fucking see the light like that at all. I don't, I'm at least I'm not convinced of that. I think it's because they're just gonna find a way to say that it's fucking anyone but their fault, or anyone but Trump's fault, it's Joe Biden. Well, actually this, if you could, you could trace this back to Bill Clinton. There's always some weird you know, uh, casual cliche, thought killing cliche they can like you know, lean on to completely just pivot away from arriving at the truth. And I think, sadly, I think maybe it's really only this I don't even know how many people, because you even think about people who had family members die of COVID and that just made them go harder in the other direction, like rather than being like, holy shit, I can't believe what's happened. Like my concern here too is even the people that are getting affected by the backwards policies of Trump will find a way to say, actually, this was a win for me. But I don't know, I mean, it's it's usually been not at the scale of you have no job, you have no medication? Yeah, now can you can you? Does that maga hat bring your A one C to the proper levels? I don't know, yeah, but I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean, they still haven't even admitted they lost the Civil War or that they were wrong about the Civil War, So I feel like that's that's probably not going to admit they're wrong about the election that they actually won.
Speaker 3: I think it's like a hard experience, maybe the only teacher that people are going to understand or somehow find a way to communicate to them in a way that isn't as like in this same vernac like this political lexicon that they're so used to seeing, and like that immediately shuts their brains off and to get people again more interested in class than politics because the politics route, you're not going to get there logically at all. And I'm sure you know you saw a moment of it with Luigi Mangioni. You saw a moment of it. But then Fox really turned up the heat on that, and now a lot of conservatives are like, yeah, he did it because the lap is making people fucking wacky. That's right, all right.
Speaker 2: Those are some of the things that are trending on this Wednesday, February nineteenth.
Speaker 3: We are back tomorrow with.
Speaker 2: A whole last episode of the show, really fun one. Until then, he kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccines where you still can, get your flail shot, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye bye