Speaker 1: What's going on? Rich Demiro here, Rich on Tech. You are listening to Rich on Tech Live. This is the podcast where I take your tech questions and answer them live on the air. Phone lines are open, you can give me a call. The phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. My name is rich Dumiro, the tech reporter for KTLA five News in Los Angeles, and thanks for tuning in. We've got the folks tuning in on Facebook Live, so welcome to you. We've got the folks listening on the podcast, so thanks so much for downloading that on your favorite podcasting app and wherever you may be listening. Thanks for taking the time. This is just my time to have fun with you guys and to answer your tech questions. A lot of things happen every week in technology, and I know you're always buying stuff and trying to figure out what's the best technology and learn stuff. I mean, there's always a new app out, there's always something that is perplexing you in the tech world, and that's why I'm here to kind of give you those answers. So we've got Facebook questions. We'll take some of those from the comments and if you'd like to call in. The phone lines are open, so give me a call. Three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three. The big news this week, of course, was Facebook, with lots of new features announced at their F eight This is their big developers conference up in San Francisco. And the things that you guys need to know about here's the most important stuff. Number one, dating inside of Facebook. So Facebook is now going to be a dating app as well. You don't have to use the feature. You do have to set up a separate profile for that to work. And they're not going to show your full name. And also people are going to be able to text you, but you're not gonna be able to see links or photos right off the bat, so it's gonna take a little back and forth. So that's good. People don't just send you crazy pictures. That's the number one thing. So Facebook, why are they adding dating? Well, Facebook knows everything about everyone clearly, they know your likes, they know your dislikes, and imagine their algorithms just getting better and better over time hooking people up. And they actually said that this is not a hookup platform. This is really a platform for lifelong relationships, so that'll be interesting. There's a lot of apps that already use Facebook as kind of their basis for connecting people, and so this makes a lot of sense that Facebook is going to do this themselves. So the feature is not in Facebook just yet, but it is coming soon. So be on the lookout for a dating feature inside the Facebook gap. And they said they're going to get potential matches on dating preferences, things in common, and also mutual friends. And of course you discover others through similar interests through groups or events. That's kind of an interesting one. So if you are in sort of a group of hikers, you might be able to find someone in that group because you already know you have a shared love of hiking. So I feel like these relationships these days, with the online stuff, the person that you're meeting up with is getting closer and closer to like who you are, just another version of them. All right, I'll tell you some more Facebook features in a moment, but let's just go right to the phone lines nine O nine you're on with Rich? Is this one of my regulars?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, this is me, This is Sam.
Speaker 1: How'd you get in so quick, Sam, what's up?
Speaker 2: I have no idea, but hey, I got a question for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me make sure that people can hear you. Hold on one second, because last time, you know, you came in, nobody could hear you. Okay, yeah, I can. I can see they can hear you. So what's going on?
Speaker 2: I just got a quick question. A friend of mine's going to cut the cable here pretty quick, and I told him that before you know, he's like with direct TV, and I told him, I said, before you do you know, before we call the guy out, we need to go down and get you a good outdoor antenna. And I think a lot of these guys that work for these companies are independent contractors. So I'm hoping that when the guy comes out to pull the disc or the dish, that he can pay the guy to, you know, put up his antenna. Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see what you're saying. That's uh hmm. That's an interesting one. I'd be curious to see. Now. I will say that I did have a Dish network came out to my place to put up an antenna here, so I think they do it paid. I don't know if they will actually do it sort of under the table. That's an interesting one because the guy's up on the roof anyway, and the cable's already run right.
Speaker 2: Right. And you know, like years ago when I moved into this house, the guy from Time Warner came out and I need did the post safe out of my van. And I looked at the guy and I said, hey, I said, you're an independent contractor, aren't you in The guy said yeah, I said, you want to make a quick ten bucks? He goes, what do I gotta do?
Speaker 1: And I agree. I've been known to ask people that come to my house to do certain things to do other things. I'm like, hey, while you're here. We In fact, it was funny when we when we got some furniture delivered, the chair that they were, you know, that we were replacing. I said, hey, do you mind helping me put this in the garage? That's not part of your job, right, But the guy did not mind. I tipped him twenty bucks and it was all good. So I think you're onto something. I don't know. I'd be curious when your friend does this, does he already have the antenna that he wants to put up there.
Speaker 2: Well, no, we're going to probably go over like Walmart and find one, you know. I mean I got mine at a good Will for like eight bucks. It was like one hundred dollars antenna somebody you know got rid of. But you know, I know they have him over there for you know, right around eighty ninety dollars. Do you have anyone that you would recommend.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends what kind of reception he gets. But I mean, if he wants to, it depends how much he wants to pay. But and how much reception you want. I like this one. I just tested it. It's called the leaf Glide and it's from Mohu and it's ninety dollars but it gets it. I plugged in three antennas to my TV in the same area, and this one got the most channels and it pulled in all the channels actually for LA. So this is the one that I really liked. Glide sixty five mile range indoor amplified HD antenna and I didn't even hook up the amplified part. That was before I actually plugged it in. So this one was pretty good. But I also if you want to get just a regular one that's not as expensive. The Mohu leaf is kind of the one that made them famous, and that one is pretty low on Amazon right now. It's like thirty let's see thirty nine ninety nine, but on Amazon it's even cheap it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's an indoor tip.
Speaker 1: Oh you're talking outdoor. That's right, you're talking out tour. You know what, I don't you know what, just go to Walmart. If you're putting an outdoor anyway, you're gonna get a good signal for the most part, I think.
Speaker 2: So I bought that I bought. I bought that leaf, the you know, the one that was uh, you know, amplified, and it didn't it really didn't work for me, you know. I mean it wasn't until uh well, you know, originally I thought I had to put it on the roof, but this one that I had came with a an adapter just amount it on the facia. So I just got out my ladder, put it on the facia, pointed at where I thought all the you know, the reception would be, and I get everything. So, you know, basically, I'm gonna, you know, try to help him, you know, once he cuts the cable.
Speaker 1: Well, I I hope it works for him. I mean, I think, uh, I think he'll get some good if he's putting it on his roof. I think he'll get some pretty good channels. So yeah, right, I had to h while I was talking to you, my TV repeat went out, so if you watch the live show later you'll see. But this is great. This is the beauty of doing this all on your own. All right, Sam, thanks so much for giving me a call.
Speaker 2: Good talking dude.
Speaker 1: All right, see you letter, byebye. All right, nine oh nine, you're on with Rich. Who's this?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: Rich Bribe calling for Fontanaday.
Speaker 1: How are you good? How are you fine?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 4: I've asked you for some help in the past. You've been very helpful. Got a little question to ask. I'm not real savvy on I have a note eight phone which I'm in love with, and I want to ask you a question about the micro f sd XC card. Okay, okay, So I want to make a jump up because I'm actually filling up with all my photos and then love clouded stuff, and I'm thinking to go to the one or two fifty six I know with what you help me with a little flash drive that going to a bigger storage allows more processing. Is that true in the phones? Also as far as speed of processing.
Speaker 1: No, not this. This is just to store items on this on this card, So it doesn't actually speed up anything on the phone. So when you're talking computer memory, when you put more memory in, it definitely speeds up the computer. But this is something totally different. This is like just adding a hard drive to your phone, and so it's not going to speed up the phone in any particular way.
Speaker 4: So two fifty six sounds like a lot of overkill.
Speaker 1: I would say. So, I mean, what do you have in there right now?
Speaker 4: Tons of pictures, mostly photos, but I end up storing some videos, but not full length movies.
Speaker 1: What size card do you have though?
Speaker 4: All right now, I'm sorry, I think I have thirty two?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think that a one twenty eight would probably be a pretty big jump for you, and I think you're not going to fill that up. I mean, that's that's a pretty good amount. A one eight gigabyte sand disc Ultra micro SD card, which is what you're talking about needing, is thirty seven dollars on Amazon, So that's a pretty good deal. And I think, I mean, you could jump up to the two fifty six. I just I think it's overkill. I don't think you need it. I think that unless if you're doing a lot of four K videos or something, then maybe, But right now, I just don't think you really need that.
Speaker 4: You know. A last little caveat to this, I've found it. My only problem with this phone, which I love. I can't tell you how much I'm locked into this not eight is I do have time hard time getting I usually carry two cards because I do work with it. When I'm doing my reporting stuff and I'm doing a video or whatnot, it's easier for me to transfer. But that little trade that they use, yes, it seems to be difficult to slide those in, and I can't get a resolve of it. I'm not sure if it's the design flaw or just my phone in particular is having a problem.
Speaker 1: You mean when you try to what the when you try to slide in the card kind of pops up a little bit.
Speaker 4: Exactly. Yeah, we'll stand. I like carrying two cards so I can do my business on one if I'm doing a photo shoot or I'm not doing some reporting, and then keep on personal on another one.
Speaker 1: That's a tough one. Yeah, I agree. I've I've had that problem with several phones with the SIM card slot in general, where the SIM doesn't really stay in or I agree with the with the Samsung phone. Now I'm not I'm not changing out the card that many times, but I do agree sometimes they kind of pop up because they've gotten so flimsy with these plastic slots that they don't really hold the card in. I used to tape them in sometimes, but very very thinking that. Yeah, but I don't recommend that.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for your show and your time. I appreciate it, and you do a great job.
Speaker 1: All right, Brian, thanks for calling in from a fun Tana today. I appreciate that. All right, let's just go right to the next line. Sick two six six two six you're on with Rich Hello, Hello, Hi, I know you're surprised you got you got right in.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 3: Let me tune you off on my computer because I can listen to that. Got a cool question.
Speaker 1: Who am I speaking with? First off?
Speaker 3: This is Christine?
Speaker 1: Christine, Okay, I've called in the past, has been a while. Okay, what I watched.
Speaker 3: In Channel five all the time, So I'm looking at getting computer for my kids. I've got a eleven year old and a fourteen year old, and my daughter really likes to do a lot of drawing on the computer. Okay, I've got an HP right now that she does, like I can't drawing, but I want to get something in that so she's in high school, get something a little more that she could do more drawing and stuff. Would what would you recommend a regular computer or a.
Speaker 1: Mac or oh man, I mean, I'd probably, right off the top of my head, I'd recommend an iPad, you know, I mean, she's got the with the Apple pencil. If she's is she an artist?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she really loves to draw, oh man, with a drawing arm, and she's i mean with the pixels. Is she's doing really amazing stuff? Yeah, I mean a special So I'm like, I'm looking for something that I really encouraged it in there.
Speaker 1: Oh man. I mean I think that the you can get a basic iPad for the you know, most basic version now supports Apple pencil, which is three hundred and twenty nine dollars, and then the Apple pencil is another one hundred, so that's four twenty nine and you're probably gonna want to add a case. You know, you can always get that later, but that's you know, you're talking about five hundred dollars year. But I do think I think the iPad is going to be really nice for her because that's going to be the most flexible when it comes to drawing. And I mean, I'm I'm playing with one right now, and I just I mean, I don't know if you can see this on the Facebook live. Yeah, it's it's just unbelievable. The way you can draw on this thing is you know, I mean, it's just so great, you know, it's just it's it's like I never wanted to like the iPad with the Apple pencil, but I have fallen in love with it, and it's so much fun. Not to mention for my job, I love that I can highlight stuff on PDFs here because it wastes a whole lot less paper, and the Apple pencil you have to charge that. It's just it really is well done. Now. The other thing i'd recommend, if you're not going to if you want to get a full sized computer, they have something from Microsoft called the Surface Studio, and this is a lot more expensive, though I think this is gonna be way way more expensive. I'm not familiar with the price, so I gotta see, but I'm guessing it's fifteen hundred dollars. Oh yeah, never mind, you're talking three thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: I say go with the iPads.
Speaker 1: Yeah never mind. I'm looking at that. It's like huh uh. So I say go with the iPad. I think it's very creative. If she is into art and into creativity. I can't imagine a better device for that because it just really unlocks that creativity and there's so many great apps for it. That's the other side of this. I'd recommend a touchscreen computer, but they're not going to have the same amazing apps that the iPad's going to have.
Speaker 3: Right, And I have one other question. What is the difference between the chromebook and this irregular computer?
Speaker 1: So a chromebook is basically referring to the operating system on it. So a chromebook is most people think of Windows or Mac or Chromebook. So chromebook the operating system. Have you ever used Google Chrome, like the web browser. Yeah, so imagine that as your entire operating system. So everything sort of happens inside that web browser. And nowadays, when you really think about how we use our computers. There's almost no need to go outside a web browser. You do your email, you do your YouTube, you can look at your photos on there. So a lot of that stuff is just happening in there.
Speaker 3: So that the kid score are using chromebooks down here.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, and it's and it's the cool thing about chromebooks is there's no viruses, there's no soft updates. It all happened, well, there are, but they all happen sort of automatically, so you don't have to worry about updating. And it's it's a very fast, kind of simple computer that's very inexpensive. And so a lot of people like these, especially in the education field, because they've just they're just so easy and they're so simple, so I don't Yeah, you can play games a lot of them. With the newer ones, you can download any Android app to them, so that's kind of nice too. But and you know, you may you may have luck with that they do. The new the one from Acer. I believe they just came out with the chromebook with a stylus and it's a I think it's an ACER model and that one, yeah here it is. This just came out so you might want to look at that one. This one is three hundred and fifty dollars, same price as the iPad basically, but it includes the stylus. So that's kind of the nice thing about that one. Stylus to you why, Okay, for some reason it will let me search, but there there's a picture of it with the stylist there. So anyway, those are your options. I'd say go with the iPad. I think you're going to spend a little bit more, but I think the the return on investment is going to be the highest out of any of these things, if you ask me. All Right, Christine, thanks for calling in, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Hey, take care, have a good one.
Speaker 1: But bye. All right, moving right along, phone number three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. So while I wait for another call, I'll tell you more about Facebook and what they're doing. Man, they're just adding so many features to this thing. So to my TV, I was still on, Okay, let's see crisis response. I thought this was kind of interesting. People that are affected by a crisis can now share first hand accounts of information like road closures, damage, photos and videos. And that feature is rolling out later this year, so they're kind of putting people in the citizen journalism. Real people have already been doing this on Facebook, but now they're going to group it with some sort of crisis. So let's say with the fires we had here in California, you'd be able to upload videos of your area to let people know kind of what's happening if the streets are closed or if areas were burned that you know, you wanted people to avoid. So that's pretty interesting. And then Instagram, the big feature that they're adding there is video chat. And I was talking about this with my brother today and it's one of those things where why is Instagram getting all these features? Well, Instagram is now the de facto app for everyone, and Facebook sees some people moving away from Facebook, so they're just trying to do whatever possible to keep people in the platform. And Instagram is owned by Facebook. And video chat is the next logical extension. I mean a lot of people are chatting through Instagram, so video chat kind of works. So and the cool thing about that is it's cross platforms. You can video chat with someone whether it's I'm Android or iOS, so you don't have to worry about that. See who has the best deal on the Robert says, who has the best deal on the sixth generation iPad? You know, when it comes to iPads, you kind of have to look out for deals. Apple usually doesn't put them on sale, but usually BNH Photo will put them on sale, and so will Best Buy once in a while. So watch those two. And the best way to do that really is just set an alert in slick deals. So if you set an alert in slick Deals, you'll get an email every time an iPad goes on sale. So that's what I did when I was buying my kids the iPad Minis. I just put an alert and I got a lot of good deals on there, so that was cool. Cindy says, why all of a sudden am I getting news pushing on my iPhone? I assume you're talking about the Facebook News app, because if you open that up once, you'll start to get notifications from it. If you want to turn that off, you have to go into your notifications. So all you have to do is go into let's see here, you go into your settings. Hang on, you go into your settings on your phone. You go down to notifications and they scroll all the way down and there's one for news and you turn that off. And I know that because I did that on my phone yesterday six six one. You're on with Rich. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 6: Rich, it's Greg from the av.
Speaker 1: Hey Greg, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Not a whole lot? Well, actually a whole lot?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, are you moving from the a V Oh no.
Speaker 6: No, we're still going to be in the AV.
Speaker 1: Okay, then you can't. You have to say Greg from somewhere else the I E. Remember I said that one time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but yeah, it's just been hectic and uh but I think we're on the last leg right now.
Speaker 1: Did you get a good price for your house? I mean, you know, LA real estate, California real estate is like, you know, it's a gold rush here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And we were surprised that it went on every website, Zillo and all that on Tuesday, and that same day we had three viewers. And then Thursday we had two offers for the house.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, two days. Come on, this is ridiculous. Two days to sell a house only in California. That's unbelievable. Wow.
Speaker 6: Well good for you, but yes, thank you. But I didn't have a question. I just wanted to get some information. I just recently got my direct TV bill down to twenty two dollars for what I'm sorry for.
Speaker 1: What what does that get you?
Speaker 6: Well, I got the h I think it's called the Entertainment Package, okay, and I've been a long customer. I mean I think I've been a customer for like fifteen years.
Speaker 1: But this is good information for the other viewers because if they have direct TVs, you're talking getting twenty two dollars for some channels and also your locals too or no locals.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 6: I also got I've got the East Coast channels so I can watch the shows at five.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's really cool.
Speaker 6: I have the newest Genie HD.
Speaker 4: Receiver.
Speaker 1: That's great. This is this is quite the deal I'm hearing about. So that's amazing.
Speaker 6: I had called one time and they said, since you're well whoever's a long standing customer, to call back every three months and they'll always offer you something. Okay, it can be it can be five dollars off the bill for a year, it can be free HBO for like six months, various things. And this las time when I called, they offered me fifty five dollars off the bill.
Speaker 4: For a year.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, well, my.
Speaker 6: Regular bill was seventy seven. That brought it down to what up about twenty with taxes and all that.
Speaker 1: Greg. I think they were sick of you calling every three months. That's why they were just like, you know what, we're just going to give this guy a really good deal because we're sick of his calls. It's costing me more, but it's costing more in our customer service rep time.
Speaker 6: But the biggest thing I got last year, well, I guess, yeah, last year I got the the NFL the package for free.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's yeah, they were that was that. Yeah, they were doing that for certain people. I think I had that when I had DirecTV they gave me that as well. And then but I was a new subscriber, so they give you everything when you're a new subscriber. And then all of a sudden, the second year, my bill went up to like four hundred dollars or something ridiculous. All right, see you later.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, so you know, just call back every three months, and you know, ten dollars helps, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I just got my my cable bill for my internet down ten dollars. I wanted it down twenty. The guy was not having it, so he got but I got down to ten. They wanted sixty five. I got it for fifty five. So I'm happy with that, you know. I mean it's still a bummer to pay ten extra dollars a month and I was paying. But I'm fine with the splitting the difference. You know, they got to make money. I get it, and they make a lot.
Speaker 6: Of it, by the way, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, good advice, good advice, Greg, and congrats on the house.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much. Hopefully the next time I call in, I'll be from the new house.
Speaker 1: Nice all right, let me know how it is, all right, all right, okay, Greg, take care of thank you.
Speaker 6: All right, you did the same, all right, but bye, I've.
Speaker 1: Got too many windows here open there we go. Man, two days to sell a house only in California, right, I mean, these things, it's just unbelievable how fast people can sell their places here. Let's see, I saw a okay we have Diane. Diane says, I I have an iPhone six, and I find that I get dropped from my Wi Fi at home a lot. I find that if I shut my phone down and turn it back on and reconnect, then I get Wi Fi back again. Do you know what would cause this? Absolutely? Here's what you need to do, Diane. I just help someone do this the other day. And by the way, I have I don't know if I told you guys this, but I am writing a book about the iPhone right now. So I've been learning a lot, even myself. It's going to be a how to book, a bunch of tips on how to use it. It's kind of like a user's guide, but written by rich on tech, so it's more fun and it's interesting and it's all the little things that I think are good about the iPhone. So this was one of the tips that I wrote the other day actually, And what you need to do, Diane, is you have to go through and you need to reset your network settings. So all you have to do is go into Settings, then General, then scroll all the way down where it says I can't see it reset all the way at the bottom. Okay, don't get scared. You're not resetting anything crazy. And then the third option says reset network settings. Okay, so that's the one that's the one that you want to reset right there. So if you press that, you have to pop in your passcode. But what's gonna happen is your phone is gonna delete all of your network settings. So that's your cellular network, your Wi Fi networks, any of those that you've saved in there, and your Bluetooth networks, and you're gonna have to repair your phone to your car and rehook it up to your Wi Fi at home. But I'm telling you it is going to solve your problem pronto, because what's happening is there's a little bit of confusion inside your phone right now with your home Wi Fi network, and once you do that little reset, everything's gonna work perfectly again. So I just did this with someone out my work. Helped her do that and she said it worked fantastically. So yes, there you have it, phone number three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three, Mark says tech reporter an author. You're a double threat. I love it, you know, Mark. I've every time I go on the radio or on TV when I'm a guest, I always heard these people. They're like, you know, so and so is author of you know whatever book. I want that to be me. So finally you can say author of my book. And I won't tell you the title just yet, but it's a fun title too, So I just need to finish it. I'm almost done. I've got you know. This is actually this podcast right now is breaking into my writing time because usually I'm writing in the afternoons. But I really want to get this, really want to get this finished. And Diane says, thanks for answering my question. I'll give it a try. Let me know how it goes. I think you're gonna like it. Let's see. Angel says, what's the easiest way to transfer iTunes from one computer to another computer? I would think you just drag over the iTunes library folder on your computer to the new computer and then open iTunes from there. It really depends also if you're on a Mac or a PC, because I think there's a way on iTunes that you can set where your library is used to be able to do that. I'm not sure if you still, but I would just copy that entire folder over and that way you can just launch it from there. I think that's gonna be the best way to do it. That's the way I believe I used to do it that way, So yeah, three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. I don't really use iTunes anymore. I used to. I used to, you know, building that music collection with such a big part of my life, and now I just subscribe to Spotify. I've got Pandora, and I just don't really want to have a music collection. I don't have a collection of anything anymore. I used to collect everything, stamps and rocks and all kinds of stuff and books, and now I just don't even do any of that stuff. Uh rohe says, great show. What do you think of Uber and Google announcements next week? Yeah, those are gonna be big. So Uber is having a big event here in Los Angeles, Uber Elevate, and I think they're gonna be talking about their flying cars, which I know isn't that crazy? So that is pretty interesting. Then Google up in San Francisco is doing something called Google Io and that's basically their big developers conference, and up there they're gonna talk about all the things coming to Google in the next year. And I say next year, it might be the next two years, because when I went there, it was I did this demo that they showed me of ways on Android Auto, and no joke, I don't think it came out on Android Auto for like, I think two years after I did that demo a year and a half and that was that was pretty crazy. So I'm excited. I have to pick one, and I'm picking Google. So I'm going there and I can't wait to see. I thought this was so much fun when I went to Google Io. I went two years ago, in twenty sixteen, and it was a blast. I mean, Number one, I got to meet the CEO of Google. I mean, how cool is that? So we were at a party with him. I mean, what CEO just shows up to like a party with a bunch of reporters. That was really cool, and I got a picture with him somewhere, and it's just fun. It's like it's literally a nerd fest. It's like a concert with nerds. Let's see. Gladys says, how can you sort out pictures on your iPhone as opposed to having them all in one folder? So the way iPhone pictures work is there's not really folders to be done. There's really the only thing you can do to sort through them is to put them in albums. So the system will make certain folders for you if you go in there and you can see kind of like the different folders, but they don't even really call them folders. They literally call them albums. So I mean you get a couple like camera roll favorites, people places, videos, selfies, portrait, live photos, slow mo screenshots, and then you get to create your own albums. And that's really kind of think of albums as folders. That's really the best way to do it. But to be honest, you really don't need to organize your pictures much anymore these days because if you go into the search functionality of Apple Photos on your iPhone, you can start typing anything in there and you'll find your pictures. So type in something like Seattle and all your pictures from Seattle will come in. I just typed in seat and my son and I on the airplane seat came up. So that's a little kind of a secret. It's also in the book. I know it's all going to the book people. So again, this is what I'm playing with every day, is the iPhone to find out all these little tricks. Seven one four you are on with rich what's up?
Speaker 5: Hi there?
Speaker 4: I have a question?
Speaker 1: Who am I speaking from?
Speaker 5: What my name is? Gary? From the Inland Empire. Okay, Mike, I need to get a new home computer and it's going to be shared by a couple of people. What's the difference between a two and one versus getting a regular laptop?
Speaker 1: Okay? So the main difference between an all and one is the power that you get from that device. So if you spend the same amount of money on an all in one versus a laptop, you're going to get more bang for your book with the all in one. So the difference is are you going to be moving this computer at all? Ever?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to use it as I didn't mean all in one.
Speaker 4: I meant to.
Speaker 5: A what's those ones that flip around? Okay?
Speaker 1: A two in one? Okay, So like you're talking one that has like kind of a it kind of goes backwards and you can use it as a tablet and it folds up and stuff like that, that kind of thing versus a typical laptop.
Speaker 5: That's correct, Okay.
Speaker 1: The difference is really just preference, I mean, and and a lot of times if you have the foldable screen, it's gonna have a touch screen as well. Even though a lot of computers are the Windows side are coming with touch screens. Is there a particular model you're looking at?
Speaker 5: Not yet, I haven't got that far that I go to the pro for some information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean personally, unless you had a use case for the foldable screen, I would not get that because you're gonna pay more for it, and it's gonna break quicker because you're folding the screen backs so often, and I think you're gonna be better suited with a regular laptop unless you have a reason. I mean, the only reason I can see forgetting a screen that bends backwards is one reason, and that's to watch it on an airplane with these you know intent style, you know, where you have the computer like this and then it just sits on the tray and I can watch the screen. Otherwise I don't really, I'm personally not writing on my computer screen. I'm not flipping it backwards to use as a tablet. I think it's way too bulky to do that, so I don't. I don't see a reason to get it too. In one, I would go with a regular laptop over the two and one because you're gonna save money, and I think you're gonna save yourself some headaches too.
Speaker 5: My experience with laptops. If they say the battery last eight hours, it'll last maybe two hours because they probably do those tests with nothing on.
Speaker 1: Yeah they Yeah, is there.
Speaker 5: Any laptops that have a life that's real that last eight hours?
Speaker 1: The newer ones do. I mean the Dell XPS that I've tested, that one lasts a really long time. I think if it's been a while since you bought a laptop, the batteries definitely last longer. But here's the thing. I mean, some of the some of the real like business laptops, are gonna last longer the average laptops you're probably looking at, you know, five hours, six hours. It really depends on look. It all comes down to what you're doing on the laptop. If you're watching any sort of video, it's gonna it's gonna go through that battery a lot faster. If you're doing any sort of video processing, it's gonna go through that battery. Me personally, ever since I got the MacBook Pro, I feel like my battery just goes so fast. But with that said, I can you know, if I'm traveling for the day, I don't necessarily need to plug in. But realistically, if they say the battery is rated for fourteen hours. You know you're gonna get half of that. You know you're whatever they say, you're not gonna get that. Basically that's my experience. But I think, are you looking for a Mac or a PC.
Speaker 4: PC?
Speaker 1: My advice is to have you figured out where you're buying this thing.
Speaker 6: No, I haven't even gotten it for so, I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Really like getting the computers at the Microsoft Store if you have one near you. The difference between that and best Buy is that at the Microsoft Store they don't add a bunch of extra software onto their computers. They're not allowed to. So it's just kind of nice because your computer is gonna run smoother, it's gonna run faster, it's not gonna have a lot of bloatwear on it. So if you find yourself near a Microsoft store, just pop in and check out some of the computers there. And they have a nice selection too. So I'm not opposed to best Buy. I just think that sometimes you can get a little bit better of a system at the Microsoft Store. So good question, And yeah, I'd go with the I'd go with the just a standard laptop. I think that's gonna be best. Thanks Scary for calling in from the Ie today. Let's see, we've got Connie who says, when we lived in Alta, Dina and we're watching you on KTLA. You did a live video from Aldi. It was a new to the La area. Since moving to Indie. We have a story near us. They just did a major renovation. It's much more upscale. Thanks for the original info. And that's funny you say that because I got kicked out of that Aldi. I was on a shoot in Kentucky, Lexington. What's the main city in Kentucky, Lexington? I guess whatever city that Jennifer Lawrence is from. That that was a big claim to fame, Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky. And that's where I was. And I never saw an Aldi before and I heard that they were coming to LA and so I went in there and I live streamed it and next thing you know, they actually tapped me on the shoulder and they said you gotta get out. You can't. Well they didn't kick me out, they just said that you're not all out to live streaming here. I couldn't even believe they knew what I was doing. I was just holding my iPhone right in front of me. With but I had headphones on, so I was just showing where that was. So thanks for watching when you were back here, Connie. What would I suggest for dash cam an internal car recording? Well, here's the thing. The dashcam I like is called the Vava cam, and that one is really cool. Did the did a story on that and a lot of you bought one because that was one of the most popular stories we've done at KTLA. So this is it right here, Vava Cam. That's one hundred and nineteen dollars. But if you want oh sorry, I'm on the wrong thing here there we go. So if you want something that records inside your car, you can either flip that one around. So if you noticed, this one has a swivel, so you can just spin this around if you want to record the interior of your car, and then you can spin it back around to record the exterior. But if you want both at the same time, there's this dash cam called the owl cam, and they really call it a security camera, and this one records both the front and the back at the same time of your car. The reason why I have not done a story on this thing for KTLA is that it's really expensive. You're talking. I think, let's see, three hundred and fifty dollars and that includes the LTE service for a year, So that's much more expensive than a lot of people want to spend on a dash cam. It's really cool and it has a lot of great features, but it's just it's an expensive thing, and you have to pay once you once you have this thing for a while, after the first year, you have to pay for LTE service, which I think is ten dollars a month, So that's not cheap, all right. Is it possible to turn off my TV from a remote area? Hang on? Let me know where am I going? Here? From a remote area? So I don't have hold on? Is it possible to turn my TV off for a remote area? I don't have Apple TV and I have an iPhone ten. I have a Visio TV and it's ten years old. Absolutely, estrella, here's what you need. I'll show you right now. You get one of these. It is the let's see hold on, hold on, I'm trying to get it. Uh, it is a plug and let's see here. It's just all you need is a smart plug. So that's that's basically what I'm trying to get on here Amazon. Go to Amazon and you can get the Belkan Wemo Smart Plug. Oops, Wemo smart plug. Oh my gosh, it keeps changing it to the are Go Wemo Mini Smart Plug. Okay, And all you have to do is get that, and it's thirty one dollars. And all you have to do is plug this into your TV, plug your TV into this, plug this into the wall, and then from your iPhone ten you'll be able to turn off the TV and turn it on. So that's all you gotta do. Very simple, and it's a thirty dollars solution. There are other smart plugs as well. This is just one option. There are many many options if you look on Amazon. The only ones that I've tested that I recommend is this Wemo one and this one. If you want one that's really cheap, Genie smart plug, Let's see if I can find that one. This is the there's just so many of them. I can't even find the one that I had. Anyway, That's that's what I do, is just get that Wemo plug. I'll post the uh. I'll post the link as well so you can get it. Let me uh, let me get that link and I'll post it so This is the we Moo smart Plug. I have time for one more caller, So if you want to call, the phone line is open three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. And that's weird that it doesn't come up there.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: Wemo Smart Plug. They've got so many of them. You can get a three pack. I mean, there's just so many of these things. Just you kind of want to get, like one that's a decent brand though, like Belkan, especially if you're plugging a TV into it. Here it is smart Plug Mini, So I will send you the link to that and that is right here there. You go, Uh, how can I show iPhone photos on my TV? Tom asks? And Uh? To do that, you really need an Apple TV if you want to use it as a screen. Say, if you just want to show your iPhone photos on your TV, just get a plug the HDMI So you can just get one of these things and I'll show it to you. Okay, So you just plug this into the bottom of your iPhone and this is just a lightning to HDMI and so you just plug that into the bottom of your iPhone and then this plugs into your TV. The little HDMI cable down here and that's it, and then you just go on your iPhone and you just show your photos as a slideshow. And it's a twenty six dollars solution. So you'll definitely need a Hdmi cable and that's it and just plug this into your phone and it's super simple. So I will I'll put that in the comments as well. So that's all you need there. Very simple solutions, guys, So easy, okay. And Mike says that the Wemo plugs are two fifty at Costco. Yes, Mike, because I bought two of them there. I bought that two pack and so you can get them for a lot cheaper there. I'm a proud Galaxy owner. Is there a smart watch that you suggest one that I can use for calls and we'll play Spotify. Well, the only one that really you can do that with with the Galaxy is the Samsung Watch. Yeah. Here it is the Gear S three and you can get that and that one has the phone calls and Spotify is on there as well. I hope Spotify is on this one. I think it is, Yeah, Spotify offline. That's the only one that you can get on with that. The Spotify does not work on the Apple Watch, which is insane, and it does not work work on the watch that I've been wearing lately, which is the Fitbit Versa, which is also insane. Come on, Spotify, where are you at these on these watches? Let's see what else has got. Time for one more question? All right, Samsung TV and Samsung TV app on iPhone. Oh, that's it. Interesting. Daniel says that the Samsung TV app on iPhone will work as well for streaming from iPhone to TV. Hmm, that's interesting. I've not tried that. All right, that's gonna do it for today's show. Thanks so much for listening. As always, I would really appreciate if you like what we're doing here, leave a review on the Apple podcast app. All you have to do is search rich on Tech in the Apple podcasts app and leave a review. A written review is really good. I'll take the ratings as well. Those are great. But those of you that have left these already, thank you so much for doing that. It just spreads the word about the podcast. The more that Apple sees people are interacting with the podcast, the more they're going to suggest it to other people to listen to. So thanks so much for listening and Apple Podcasts is the number way you got number one way you guys are listening. So that's why I mentioned that, But realistically, I'm happy if you listen to any podcasting app as well. Links to everything I mentioned here Just go to Rich on tech dot tv. Please tell your friends, don't be shy. I'm Rich Dumiro. Thanks so much for listening. I'll talk to you real soon.
Speaker 6: Use use to use the