Speaker 1: If you enjoy the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, check out our new daily news program, the Bloomberg Daybreak Podcast. It gives you the day's top stories with context in just fifteen minutes. Look for it in your podcast feed by six a m. Eastern every morning. Subscribe on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts, and stay tuned for a sample of today's edition of Bloomberg Daybreak at the very end of this podcast.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Lisa A.
Speaker 3: Bramwoids along with Tom Keene and Jonathan Ferrow. Join us each day for insight from the best in economics, geopolitics, finance and investment.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to Bloomberg Surveillance.
Speaker 3: On demand on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts, and always on Bloomberg dot Com, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business App. A real question around where we are in terms of the rally and whether it has legs and joining us to really get into that. As Animaletti head of Active Equity, it all spring global investments before we get into and welcome this question of do we end up with just a stock picking market? Can you pile in and get some sort of sense of relief from the rally that seems to only be gaining steam.
Speaker 4: It's a great question, Lisa, and I think the hardest part for investors is do I stay on the sidelines or not? And we were talking earlier. Is the market really pulled and drawn by emotion? And it is, it always has been, and so investors have to fight that emotion every step of the way and remain disciplined. And I think despite all of the kind of chaos that's happening around us and outside of us, within the economy, with the FED, with global global unrest, I think it's brought a lot of focus to our investment teams, and what they're looking at is the narrow focus on which stocks you want to own. Investors, when you're out of the market, you have to be really careful about when you get in. What I tell people is, regardless if you know overall there's negativity or positivity, you really want to always have some allocation in equities.
Speaker 3: So let's pick some stocks in Vidia, Meta, Tesla.
Speaker 2: You like all the popular ones.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just wondering, I mean, how do you basically understand what valuation even means at a time when things are going to the moon based on promise of future invention.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I mean, I think what's been really interesting is the flow in that we're seeing into equities is going into index funds, right most most importantly, and when that happens, investors are buying more of the big names and paying a lot more for those names. That's just the way it works. And so in a way, active managers are a little bit trying to not fight that trend. We own some of those names too, but we're also trying to find those names that haven't been recognized. We're really you know, like mining for a gold right now. There are opportunities that do exist out there.
Speaker 5: In an emotional market. Where do value stocks come in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question, Eila. And you know, as you saw in the beginning part actually last year, when the markets really started to kind of pay attention to value, there were good reasons for it. Multiples were compressing, and that's when investors went to value. I like to think about it, like, don't discriminate between value and growth, right, you can buy high quality goods at a good price. So I kind of like to say, I like to shop at sax or Nemans just don't like to pay full price. I kind of think our investment teams like to do the same thing, right. They want to buy quality companies, but they want to pay a good price for them, and there's real opportunity to do that now. So I would say, don't discriminate between value and growth.
Speaker 3: I just wonder what does even value mean? Yeah, I mean, honestly, no, I'm serious. I was talking to some people saying that basically conservative stocks, defensive stocks, value stocks, everything's tech.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's basically what everyone is saying.
Speaker 3: So at what point do you start to say, well, maybe we're just falling behind. And if you own the broader index, well at least you'll catch the stories that might come out of nowhere and blow up the index.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great point. And you know, over the years, you know, people have categorized value and growth separately, but as you know, we've had big industries change from you know, we've seen energy via value industry and energy be a growth industry, and so I think investors have to kind of frame that up. And I think Lisa, you did really well. Any category, any company can move from value to growth at any time, which is why we kind of face the individual stocks, individual companies and look at what we're paying for them.
Speaker 3: Just quickly the here going into the second half, we've gotten a lot of reassessments, a lot of people are just getting more bullish. That seems to be the theme pretty much across the board, with the exception of Mike Wilson. But I'm wondering from your van to point, how you're shifting either the names or your thesis heading into December.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question, Lisa, because clearly, I think the last time I was on the show, I said we expected the rally to kind of either spread down market cap, which we have started to see a little bit. We would expect that to continue. If the rally is going to continue, investors are going to flow more broadly into the market. But again, I think our investment team's focus is looking for those unique opportunities, trimming names where the valuation just doesn't make sense, because what we do is all about risk versus reward and really trying to set up our investors to protect them against big risk and focus on reward over time, because again, the future's pretty foggy.
Speaker 3: All right, well, Ammelili, thank you so much in the foggy future after the fog has luckily passed for us in the New York City and Melardia of All Spring, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Joining us now.
Speaker 3: Jan Start Vague, founder and CEO of Exante Data and market reader agains. What's your takeaway that we do have these divergent central banks. Is it just a matter of the US getting out front, having a cycle that it had to deal with first, and everybody else catching up, or is this truly a splintering of the biggest global economies at a time of great transition.
Speaker 6: I think there's an element of both, right. So, clearly the US started to recover quicker, the stimulus was more aggressive in the US, and therefore the US cycle has been more front loaded, right. And then we have economies such as the eurosone economy where the stimulus was slower and more drawn out. And we are having a situation now where inflation is actually having moral mentioned in the Eurozone than in the US. And therefore the ECB cannot do any pausing. The ECB has to sickle that that's going to go every single meeting, right, and they are highly likely to be hiking in July and probably September and maybe even further than that. Right. So this is the first time for a while where we've seen monetary policy divergence in a way that's going to support the Euro. We saw a big, big move yesterday, and then I think if we scan the globe, right, then there's some special issues around China.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: So I think one data point that's very important this year is that we've had a China reopening. We have had some recovery in certain sectors in China, right, but there's no inflation pressure in China.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: If we compared to other countries that have reopened, we are not seeing any inflation pressure in China that resembles what we've seen in other reopening situations, and that's really important. And this is also a sort of evidence that there's something structurally different in the Chinese economy. And one thing that I think investors are not paying enough attention to is that there's been a massive structural shift in terms of the capital flow that's coming into China.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: It used to be the case that people just wanted to invest in China, build manufacturing capacity in China, but that foreign direct investment from companies has slowed very, very dramatically, and that has not recovered after reopening. So that's a structural shift that's very important for everything, including the Chinese currency.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 9: What do you make of China's attempts to get more and more trade occur in the one Are they attempting to over time become a competitor the dollar in terms of reserve currency. Is this just going to be a small, tiny part of world trade or is it? Where do you stand on that?
Speaker 6: So China is a huge part of global trade in terms of the goods moving around, right, But they've been attempting to get that stuff invoiced in local currency and try to create competition to the dollar. But look at how the yuan has been trading this year, Right, were up over the last two days, But the big trend has been the Chinese currency has underperformed very dramatically, consistent with monetary policy being one of the easiest in the world. Right, they have not been any tightening related to the inflation dynamic that I spoke about, Right, So we have a situation where from a trade perspective, China is in a very strong position and could argue Okay, we dominate many many.
Speaker 10: Types of trade.
Speaker 6: We should have a reserve currency aspect, right, But when you look at the acid side, nobody wants to buy the Chinese bonds. That literally outflows from Chinese bonds almost every single month. Even central banks around the world are starting to reduce CNY holdings, right, So it doesn't have the reserve currency aspect on the acid side. It's only on the trade that you can make the argument. And that's why that goal that the Chinese have is not so easy to achieve.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And where do you see Japan playing out? I think that's the country we're seeing actually get a lot of benefit from people moving away from China and their power in the regions important and clearly their stock market's done very well. Where do you see Japan playing out in terms of the global economy?
Speaker 6: Yes, so I think if you sort of look at a situation where global multi nationals are getting more cautious about investing aggressively in China, where are they going to build capacity?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 6: So, there's a number of countries in Asia that have manufacturing histories. Japan is one of them, Koreas another one of them. There's new work countries like Taiwan and obviously Thailand and Vietnam too, and closer to the US, Mexico is benefiting from that. Right, So we do have a number of emergent markets that are going to stand to benefit from that. Japan has a bit of a special case. They have their own demographications and so forth. But clearly the NICK is now moving in a way that's very interesting, and it's a very ironic situation. You have inflation in Japan that is running around five percent. In terms of the momentum we're seeing on core and financial conditions are easy, right, bandiels are pecked at zero effectively, right, and equity and this is going higher, the end is going weaker, right, So eventually this to create a problem with the Bank of Japan that they have to deal with.
Speaker 3: Given all of this, does it make sense that people are just looking at the divergences and saying, I guess there's only one thing to do, go into big tech. I mean that basically was the theme of the week. Go into big tech, go into the euro. Those were the two trades of the week. Do they have lasting power?
Speaker 6: So I get to ask, if not every day. Certainly every week we get asked about, Okay, is the AI trend the bubble?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 6: Is it overdone? There are certain companies where the evaluations look pretty crazy, right, But I have to say, take a step back. We think about this technology, what kind of incredible changes it's going to create in the economy, right, and then we think about how relatively young this excitement about this trend is likely only really a couple of months in so given how big the structural shift these technologies are going to create, I don't think we've run for very long in terms of investors really getting involved in these trends. Like I track global capital flows very carefully. Like one thing I track is, Okay, what is the foreign money that's come into you as tech in the last couple of months. It's actually very limited, right, So it seems like foreign investors have kind of missed the AI the terbo charge rally, and I wouldn't rule out that they're going to come in later. So I think it's tour to fade it. And then I was saying, in terms of other themes, emergent markets had a very good run, right, So there are other asset classes that are on the move that have perhaps been forgotten about for many, many years. So it's not just tech. I would say the emergent market trends are pretty interesting and certainly something we've been watching.
Speaker 3: Yeahzonoid Veig of Exante Data and Market Reader, thank you so much for.
Speaker 2: Being with us.
Speaker 3: Set joining us now, especially at a moment of huge debate, is Congressman French Hill, Republican from Arkansas, and I want to start there, especially welcome by the way to New York. I want to start there, especially because there is this increasing fight among House Republicans right now about whether to cut spending much more substantially, maybe raising a question around whether we have to discuss the faulting again in a couple of months. Where do you weigh in on this? How concerned are you?
Speaker 7: Well, we have our fiscal constraint deal that we struck between House Republicans and President Trump, I mean President Biden, and that's put in place and that governs the top line for appropriations, and now both the House and Center are working to pass those twelve appropriations bills and that'll be what tees up, as you say, a spending fight this fall, potentially as we attempt to pass all twelve of those bills at the agreed upon a level in the Fiscal Restraint Measure or below, and so that's the issue. But let's be clear, discretionary spending is forty percent higher than it was just before the pandemic. So we're spending two trillion dollars more per year on spending in this country than we were before the pandemic. And so there's an effort, and I think we've made that clear that we should lower that rate of spending growth and cap it and that's what we did in this bill.
Speaker 3: Although Greg Valiere, who is on earlier of AGF, was saying that he's been in this business a long time and he's ever seen anything like this, to agree on spending a certain amount and then retracting it to essentially say, Okay, well maybe not.
Speaker 7: That's not what the deal is, that's not what the do. I think this has gotten exaggerated in the press. These are spending caps, these are ceilings, and so the appropriators now take those numbers and write the spending bills in each department of cabinet government and they can spend up to that amount. That's the goal, and we've set the goal of if we're going to spend this spending curve down. We don't want to do supplemental appropriations. We want to make the government live within this enormous budget that we have.
Speaker 3: Do you think that it's worth threatening another default?
Speaker 7: Potentially, think anybody's threatening another default. I think what you see is if you don't pass those appropriations bills, then you're confronted with an f y twenty four fiscal twenty four continuing resolution, which I don't think anybody in Congress wants, because you freeze spending at the current level, but you get all the policies that are frozen too, and members of Congress like to debate in the appropriations process, both those spending levels and the policies that go with them. And you can't do any new starts when you have a continuing resolution. So you can't start construction on a new nuclear submarine if you have a continuing resolution. So it's not in the best interests of the government to have a continuing resolution. But that's why I don't see it as a default debate at all. It's more of a typical government shut down type debate, if you want to use that term, on whether we're going to have appropriated funds approved across both Houses of Congress, or if we're going to be confronted with a continuing resolution?
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen the Republican Party as split as it is right now. We've been talking about this for a while, but perhaps the prosecution former President Trump has brought this into even colder relief, just because you have people lining up behind him and other people saying, wait for some information to come out.
Speaker 2: Where do you stand on this?
Speaker 7: On are you talking about still talking about spending?
Speaker 11: You're talking about.
Speaker 12: President talking about President Yeah, President Trump, Well.
Speaker 7: Look, I think he made this situation a lot worse by the way he handled the interactions with the government regarding the Presidential Records Act. So I think he's made the situation a lot more challenging. I do believe that we need complete reform on how we handled classified informations. We just saw the news this morning with this young man National guardsman out on Cape cod Is facing sixty years in prison for releasing and distributing classified information. I think this sends a lot of confusing messages to the American people. We didn't make sure those rules are fair clear and that presidents abide by them and everybody else in the government abides by them.
Speaker 13: So if I think about the if I think about that issue specifically, it's clear that there have been more than several people who have had issues with documents. So whether or not that's more egregious for him than other people led is yet to be determined, But clearly we need to do something with that. Is that just because we're so far behind in what we're doing with our paper versus digital? Is that just because we just don't have a clear view on what really is classified and how classified it needs to be.
Speaker 7: It's such a good question. In fact, we declassified in the House Intelligence Committee the other day the instances of this. The National Archives reported to us in a hearing that they have found classified material in over eighty eighty different former members of Congress records at their local university or wherever their store, and that they've found classified information in unclassified file boxes from every president from President Reagan on. So this tells me as a former White House staffer, I can remember vigorously the pack up process on leaving the administration in January nineteen ninety three. What was in a classified box and what wasn't out of my office? So we have rules, but I think we need to improve training. And you raise a point of do we classify too much information? Do we declassify information effectively and communicate that and the difference between digital as in the case of Missus Clinton and paper. So I think there's work to be done here. It doesn't excuse anyone's behavior on this topic, though, Well.
Speaker 3: To that point, are you concerned about the rhetoric around this, that this is an issue of prosecuting the people and going after someone just in terms of political interference? Are you concerned about how this is raising questions about the deep state and reigniting those discussions rather than the discussion around how to keep classified document secret?
Speaker 11: You bet, Lisa.
Speaker 7: I mean, when you indict a former president by officials of the Justice Department of his opposition party, you're going to invite political speculation that it's a political activity, and it will absolutely take us off the substance and back to that. But I simply I think that everybody ought to have clear understanding about how to handle this and do it right. And the weaponization of the federal government, which you're implying, is the subject of a select committee in Congress this year. Because of the top at the FBI during the end of the Obama administration. In Trump administration has disappointed a lot of people in Congress, it's under a tremendous scrutiny. Director Ray is on the hill routinely trying to defend that we have fired the people who brought you Russia, Russia, Russia. We fired the people who we think did wrong in that whole issue around Missus Clinton or around mister Trump, and we're trying to clean up our act and do the right thing. But there is skepticism among the citizens and people in Congress, and I think it's a heavy lift. It's as heavy a lift as the Church Commission back in the nineteen seventies. And it's not hyperbole. So Director Ray has to make the reputation of the FBI the one that we all know and love over history.
Speaker 3: So you see the onus on the FBI rather than on the former president. Change the rhetoric.
Speaker 7: Well, I think the onus is on your point about is the deep state potentially in trouble and creating mischief? I think it was clear in the Russia investigation and Crossfire Hurricane that they were involved, and it was very political at the top of the FBI. That's hurt the FBI's reputation. I think it's up to Director Way to help work with Congress and rebuild that reputation, which then I think rebuilds trust through the American people.
Speaker 3: French Hell, thank you so much, Congressman. I really appreciate you taking the time with us. The SMP, Homebuilders ETF. I'm just looking at this is up twenty seven percent so far this year, surging into what the Fed said was weakness, surging into a downturn that was going to disinflate this economy right now, joining us to answer why and who is right.
Speaker 2: And who is wrong?
Speaker 3: John Lavallo, US homebuilders analyst at UBS. So I want to start John with a question that I keep asking people, is anybody are these homebuilders selling to anybody who's paying a seven percent mortgage for that home?
Speaker 14: That's the beauty of what's going on right now. No, the simple answer is no, if you're buying a home from one of these public homebuilders, you're paying six percent. You may be paying five and a half percent. And so it's a completely game changing dynamic that's going on right now.
Speaker 3: So as we look toward forward, about whether that demand can continue. Do you see this momentum or do you think that it's been overplayed, that perhaps people are not seeing what the FED is seeing, which is people aren't going to be able to afford it. All of the cash buyers came in, those millennials have moved out of the basement, and now it's just getting too expensive.
Speaker 14: Lisa, It's a fascinating dynamic that's going on in the market right now. What is really occurring is that there is zero existing home supply out there, and the homes that are out there are old and they are not at the right price points, so there's no competition from that side of the market. Go to the other side of the market, where you have the private homebuilders, which are sixty percent of the market. They can't get land, they can't get labor, they can't get financing now, and so the demand that's out there, and albeit it's less demand than it has been over the past couple of years, it's all being channeled towards this group of public homebuilders, and that's where we're seeing these massive market market share gains.
Speaker 5: Such an important point about the aging of the housing stock, the number of units it takes just to replace deteriorated homes underappreciated story for sure. You know, I think the real question to me is so much about how interest rates are crimping demand, but no one talks about how interest rates affect supply. And I think the medium mortgage rate in the US right now is around three percent. Homeowners have about a three percent mortgage rate. So how do you deal with those supply shortages? How as a home builder, where do you target?
Speaker 2: Is it the.
Speaker 5: Affordable priced homes, is it the expensive high end homes? How do you deal with such a big demand and such a short supply.
Speaker 14: Well, Melie, you're spot on. I mean the fact that most folks have mortgages that are struck at a much lower rate than prevailing seven percent rate today. Making that swap out into another home, the math gets tricky and some more people are sort of locked in place, so that supply is not going to loosen up. So as a public homebuilder, what we believe is the main place to target is this entry level first time buyer where really it's a nee based purchase. You're maybe getting married, having children, things and life events that necessitate more space, and that is where we believe well, that's where the demand, the demand currently is, and that's where we believe the real kind of tail to this.
Speaker 11: Will be as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold on a second, not to push back, but to push back. I mean, I'm thinking about people who I know who are creating homes and having babies and paying off student loans and dealing with jobs where they haven't graduated into more senior levels where they're getting paid and they cannot afford any of these houses. I don't understand where that demand is going to come from unless prices come down.
Speaker 14: Well, that's again, what the public builders are doing, is they're making that math work for people and how they're doing it. We talked about the mortgage rates, right, but they're also they're building smaller footprints, they're building a little bit further away from city centers. They're offering fewer skews for lack of a better term, so they're becoming much more efficient where they can actually you know, incentivize folks and help them get into homes.
Speaker 2: But do any bank want to give them loans?
Speaker 3: Like, does anyone want to actually extend credit to a home builder at a time when people are worried about city centers? Having a complete you know, see change with office space not being used and given the fact that prices are so high.
Speaker 14: At least that's a great point. And that's the beauty of it is that the public homebuilders have captive finance arms, so they're offering their own their own you know, incentives in house, and they have access to the capital markets and that's where they're getting the funding.
Speaker 5: Let's let's kind of turn to the labor market a little bit. That supports all this housing construction and also what we're seeing in terms of changes of work. My first question is has remote work changed the geographical footprint of homebuilders right now?
Speaker 14: You know, I don't know that it's changed the geographical footprint, but it's really played into the geographical footprint. So if you think about the public homebuilders, they are all sort of in the Sunshine States or the Golden Horseshoe however you want to refer to it, and that's where the job growth is, that's where migration is trending. And that's been you know, that's been the case for a number of years. But I think working remotely has sort of exacerbated that shift, and we're seeing more folks move into the kind of the sun belt, and so it's really sort of playing into the hands of the public home.
Speaker 7: Buildings, right.
Speaker 5: And then just the labor shortages that you know, finding people to do all this building.
Speaker 2: How extreme is that?
Speaker 5: Right now? What would you like to see in that industry to help get more workers onto the work sites.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 14: It's really tough. Getting labor is one of the biggest challenges out there for the home builders. I think that that's where size and scale become increasingly important, and again the public home builders are well positioned for that. I think what is needed is that this is an industry, if you think about it, that hasn't changed in one hundred years. We're still building a house the same way we did stick framing it on site.
Speaker 5: Oh a, I hear.
Speaker 2: It's a good point. Well not yet home they get built. This is actually true, right.
Speaker 3: This is the point is that some jobs you cannot replace with artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: I just want to give you a.
Speaker 3: Viewer rights in so, y'all think millennials went from living at home with parents to paying for highly overvalued homes with all cash real I mean, there is this element of are you joking me that this is sort of what's going to continue fueling demand, especially at a time when in certain of these Sun Belt areas, insurance companies are not covering the housing the housing insurance anymore simply because of different weather threats and other things, and people are starting.
Speaker 2: To migrate back.
Speaker 3: I mean, at what point do you start to see a real softening and potentially housing supply coming back online.
Speaker 14: Well, maybe to take the last part of the question first, to get housing supply to come back online, I think we're going to see interest rates need to come in pretty meaningfully, and that you know, that's anyone's guess, you know, I think in order to sort of loosen up if you're a homeowner that has a four and a half percent mortgage, making that swap into seven percents tough, if rates come in, maybe that loosens that up. But I think, you know, your question on the millennials is a good one. What I would say is that millennials are again reaching that prime home ownership age of called you know, thirty thirty five years old, and they're having life events and I know the math is tough, but to the extent that they can make things work, and the public home builders on their side trying to make it work. I think we're still in for a good market.
Speaker 3: I love that having life events sort of, you know, having a kid, get married, doing whatever, moving, getting a job. Just quickly to follow up on what you said that to get supply to come online, you have to see interest rates come in meaningfully. You have to see mortgage rates come in meaningfully. Does that mean you expect prices to fall when interest rates come in?
Speaker 14: There's just no supply out there, right, And so I think that's what's really been booing home prices, and we don't expect a big decline at home prices. I think if you talk to the public home builders, they'll tell you that their average selling prices come in about ten percent from the peak, but the peak was high. And so if you look nationally, home prices are pretty flat on a year to date basis, and we don't see a big change in that. So it is a tricky scenario to make that sort of affordability equation work. And again that's why it's so good to be a public home builder today when you can offer that financing.
Speaker 3: John the follow of ubs pitching home builders quite clearly, thank you so much for being with us. Subscribe to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live every weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In.
Speaker 2: And the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 3: You can watch us live on Bloomberg Television and always on the Bloomberg Terminal.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. I'm Lisa Abramowitz, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for today's edition of Bloomberg Daybreak. It's your daily news podcast, delivering today's top stories to your podcast feed by six am Eastern. It's all the news you need in just fifteen minutes. The Bloomberg Daybreak podcast. It starts right now from.
Speaker 15: The Bloomberg Interactive Brokers Studios. This is Bloomberg Day Rank for Friday, June sixteenth.
Speaker 16: Coming up today, Stocks around the world are on track for their best week since March.
Speaker 15: The Bank of Japan skirts global trends and holds it stimulus in place.
Speaker 16: Chinese President she Jenping meets with Microsoft founder Bill.
Speaker 15: Gates, and Adobe is the latest tech company to ride the AI rally, the.
Speaker 8: New York command charge, and the stabbing death of another subway writer was released without bail, plus deadly tornadoes in Texas, Panandletown. I'm Michael Barr.
Speaker 11: Oh Ahead, I'm John.
Speaker 17: Staff, Sharon Sports, Ricky Bawler and xandersshoftlish on sixty teens at the US Open.
Speaker 11: The metsos the Cardinals tonight.
Speaker 8: The Yankees are in Boston.
Speaker 18: That's all straight Ahead on Bloomberg Day Break, the business news you need to starn your day in just one fifteen minute podcast each morning on Apples, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business.
Speaker 11: App, and everywhere you get your podcasts. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 15: And I'm Amy Morris. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 16: Stocks enter the final day of this week on a winning streak. The S and P five hundred has risen for six straight days, and it now tops the forty four hundred level. The Dow is up almost twenty percent from mid September low, while the Nasdaq one hundred hit its highest level since March of twenty twenty two thanks to Apple, Nvidia, and Microsoft and e Toro Global market strategist Ben Laylor thinks this rally has legs.
Speaker 19: I think the tech rally is completely justified. I mean will see the earning value where the earnings growth thumbers turning up, whether it's AI, whether it's cost cutting, whether it's investors looking for defensive growth. I think this rally is increasingly well balanced.
Speaker 16: Ben Ledler and Etro notes global stocks are on track for their best week since March, but trading today could come with plenty of twists. In turns, we will see a massive number of options contracts expire today in what is known as quadruple witching.
Speaker 15: And Nathan the Federal Reserve remains largely in focus on the heels of this rally, bets that the Central Bank will soon end its tightening cycle. Our fueling optimism, we make it more clues Today, Saint Louis FED President Jim Bullard and FED Governor Chris Wallers speak in Norway. Today, Richmond FED President Tom Barkin speaks on inflation at an event in Maryland this morning.
Speaker 16: Well, so far, Amy every FED decision in this tightening cycle's been unanimous, and now Larry Summers warns diverging views that the central Bank could blow it off course. We spoke with the former Treasury Secretary for the latest edition of Bloomberg Wall Street Week.
Speaker 20: I found the Fed's action a little bit confusing. This meeting felt like it was driven as much by the internal political dynamics of the FED as by any consistent and coherent reading of the economic situation, and that was a bit disturbing to me.
Speaker 16: Those comments from Larry Summers come after the FED paused rate hikes for the first time in fifteen months. Stay tuned for more of that conversation coming up shortly on the program.
Speaker 2: Central banks.
Speaker 15: Meanwhile, also in focus in Asia over night, the Bank of Japan held its stimulus measures in place. As Bloomberg Daybreak anchor Brian Curtis tells us, the BOJ is waiting for more sustainable inflation.
Speaker 21: Governor Kazuo, who waded A left, unchanged the boj's negative interest rate and yield curve control program. Yen immediately weakened against the dollar. Not that there was much doubt to any of this, as it was predicted by forty four of forty seven economists we surveyed. Governor Huwaita has said the cost of prematurely tightening policy could damage Japan's nascent inflation trend and he's not willing to risk it. Still, speculation rumbles on that a tweak may be coming in July. Brian Curtis, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 18: Thank you, Brian.
Speaker 16: Turning to geopolitics now, Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln remains on track to travel to China this weekend. The nation's top diplomat will be in Beijing Sunday. He'll speak with several top Chinese officials during his two day visit, including a possible meeting with China's President she Jinping.
Speaker 15: Meantime, President she has already met with another big name. Microsoft founder Bill Gates sat down with China's president in Beijing. She told the billionaire that China is willing to work with the world on technology innovation and pandemic prevention.
Speaker 16: Loimi Henry Kissinger is weighing in on geopolitics tied to China, The former Secretary of State says a military conflict over Taiwan is probable. That's if the current trajectory remains unchanged. The one hundred year old diplomat sat down for a wide ranging conversation with Bloomberg's editor in chief John Micklfwaite on.
Speaker 22: The current prajictary of religions. I think some military conflict is probable, but I also think the current trajectory of religion must be alded.
Speaker 16: You can hear the full conversation with former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger on Bloomberg Television. We'll have it for you tonight at eight pm Eastern. Listen on demand on the Bloomberg Talks podcast. You can find that at Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 15: Turning back to the markets, now, we're seeing shares of Adobe gaining this morning. They're up more than three percent in early trading. The company is raising its full year outlook on optimism that artificial intelligence will spur software demand. We get those details from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 11: Adobe is the longtime top seller of software for creative professionals. It is adding generative AI features throughout its products. Last week, the company unveiled enterprise level subscriptions for the new tools, which include legal assurance against copyright claims. In New York. Charlie Pellett Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 16: All right, Charlie, thanks, we have news on Bank of America this morning. We're told the firm's commercial banking unit is seeing a surge in new clients.
Speaker 11: In Bloomberg's Doug Krisner has that story.
Speaker 12: It follows the failure of several regional banks in the US during March. Biave says its commercial banking unit had an increase of fifty five percent in new clients in the month of May compared to last year, and the momentum is expected to continue. Bank of America saying the unit is on track to report fifty percent growth in customer editions for all of twenty twenty three. That would be up from thirty five percent in new relationships last year, and as a result, Bank of America is planning to bulk up staffing to keep up with demand. This will include hiring senior bankers from outside firms in New York. I'm Doug Prisner, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Doug Walt.
Speaker 15: Disney losing a top executive, the company's chief financial officer taking a family medical leave of absence, stepping down from a role as the war at the world's largest entertainment company. Disney says Christine McCarthy will be replaced on an interim basis by Kevin Lansbury, the CFO of Disney's Theme Parks Division.
Speaker 2: And this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 16: Time now to take a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world with Bloomberg's Michael Varr.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Michael, Good Morning.
Speaker 8: Nathan, a twenty year old man accused in Tuesday's deadly subway stabbing of a passenger in Brooklyn, was released without bail. Jordan Williams was charged with manslaughter and criminal possession of a weapon and the death of a homeless man, thirty six year old Victor Wade Rogo. Witnesses Rogo was harassing subway riders and at one point punched William's girlfriend before the deadly stabbing. William's attorney, Jason Goldman, told ABC seven, it is a clear case of self defense.
Speaker 11: You have two choices right now.
Speaker 23: You can sit there and get assaulted and your friends or family or loved ones can get assaulted and seriously injured. Or you can fight back and get arrested and maybe get charged, Maybe you go to rikers, maybe get released. So you know, what are you supposed to do.
Speaker 8: William's mother says that her son cares about life and is extremely remorseful a deadly outbreak of severe weather. At least three people are dead and more than one hundred injured in the Texas panhandled town of Perryton, a mobile home park took a direct hint. Perrington Fire Chief Paul.
Speaker 23: Dutcher searching these areas, searching the briefield see making sure we've got people gathered up.
Speaker 8: Tornadoes were also reported from Oklahoma to Michigan. At least fifteen people were killed and ten others were hurt after a bus carrying more than two dozen people crashed into a semi truck in Manitoba, Canada. Authorities say the bus crossed the westbound lanes of Highway One and was crossing the eastbound lanes when it collided with the semi. As drama continues with Republicans in the House, the country is potentially headed for another showdown on government funding in October. Bloomberg's Aaed Baxter reports.
Speaker 24: Even though a bi partisan bill raised the deat ceiling while cutting spending passed earlier this month, this is another battle of funding, another round. Senator Lindsey Graham says not looking good.
Speaker 11: The chance of passing all the appropriation bills.
Speaker 12: For the House and centergree on numbers almost zero.
Speaker 24: Graham says, there is a big divide between the two chambers of the legislature in San Francisco. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 8: The Supreme Court, in a seven to two decision upheld a landmark law giving Native American families priority in the adoption of Native children. A white Texas couple had challenged the law as discriminatory on the basis of race. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists nantilists in over one hundred twenty countries. How Michael Barr, this is Bloomberg, Nathan.
Speaker 16: Thank you, Michael. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update. Bronte by Tri State out he Good morning, John Stashwer.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Nathan.
Speaker 17: US Open courses are traditionally known to be extremely challenging, even for the best golfers of the world. Not really. The case of the La Country Club, ideal conditions led to two historic rounds of sixty two Ricky Fowler and Xander Shoffley. There had only been one sixty two ever in any major. Brandon Grace six years ago at the PGA Shofley was bogey free. Fowler set a record with ten verdies. He made five birdie putts of more than ten feet.
Speaker 25: I didn't really know or see any scores, and then I saw that Xander was at seven at that point. Sure if he even knew where I was or anything, but it was kind of cool to to see if he did see he you know, kind of latched on and we were, you know, taking off of it.
Speaker 17: Both Fowler and Shoffley have been chasing their first career Major victory after numerous close calls. Although Fowler had been in a deep slump the last two years, he had not even qualified to play the Open. Dustin Johnson in twenty sixteen Open winner only two shots behind the co leaders and Rory McElroy, whose only Open victory was twelve years ago, trails by three round two. Today, the public money to help build a new stadium in Las Vegas and the Oakland A's now a done deal. It still needs the approval of the owners, but Baseball comventioner Rob Manford said he feels sorry for A's fans whether there was no community sports to keep the team in Oakland. Yankees and the Red Sox s Night at Fenway, Yanks first visit to Boston, Mets host the Cardinals, who are fifteen games under five hundred. Homer Jones has passed away a speedy Giants receiver in the late nineteen sixties, and after a touchdown, Jones made history becoming the first to then spike the ball. Homer Jones was eighty two. John Stashedward Bloomberg's.
Speaker 10: Wort from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on SYRIASXAM, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. It has been quite the week on Wall Street. We are coming off six straight winning sessions for stocks. We saw mixed US inflation report. Headline prices cooled while core inflation rose. Traders saw that as dubvish, and finally we got a pause in rate hikes from the Federal Reserve, the first time they did not raise rates in fifteen months. Let's take stock of it all now with Larry Summers, the Bloomberg News contributor and former US Treasury Secretary, sat down for a conversation with Bloomberg's Romain Bomstick. Let's listen in to part of that right.
Speaker 26: Now, Larry, let's talk about the FED meeting more importantly. That FED pause not necessarily a surprise, but do you think it was appropriate?
Speaker 11: I'm not sure.
Speaker 20: I found the Fed's action a little bit confusing. I understand the arguments for not hiking at this meeting, but those arguments wouldn't point towards signaling to further rate increases. They wouldn't point towards significantly revising the forecast towards a stronger economy and more inflation. I understand the arguments for having gone the other way, but I don't really understand the internal consistency of an approach of pausing at this meeting but then signaling to further rate hikes down the road, and signaling that they no longer expect unemployment to increase nearly as much as they used to expect it. So this meeting felt like it was driven as much by the internal political dynamics of the FED as by any consistency and cohar and reading of the economic situation, and that was a bit disturbing.
Speaker 26: They raised some of their economic projections or at least they improved a little bit here, but you still have a market that seems to be betting on this idea of a recession, the idea that the FED itself may have actually overtightened, or at least is on its way to doing.
Speaker 20: That, That would not be my best guess. I think it's very hard to read. But my best guess is that the consumer, which is seventy percent of the economy, appears to be running really quite strong at this point. We've got very strong employment data, much faster.
Speaker 11: Than population growth.
Speaker 20: The indicators on wages are a bit mixed, but the ones that seem most reliable to me that adjusts for changes in the composition of the labor force, are showing substantial strength. So I don't see the idea that we've got a durable reduction in inflation clearly established, nor do I see clear evidence of a slowing coming. So in that context, I think the Fed has probably got to maintain a posture of moving towards restraint. But I think that they ought to decide what their balancing of risks is, and I was struck that the balancing of risks that was implicit in not moving this time was kind of inconsistent with the balancing of risks that was signaled by the two tightenings and by the forecast revisions.
Speaker 26: I want to go overseas to China. They had a much different policy meeting coming out of the People's Bank of China cut And there's been a lot of discussion here Larry about the health of the Chinese economy and light of the data we've gotten and a lot of some of the reports by Bloomberg and others that they are considering fiscal or at least some sort of economic stimulus measures to get that economy going back again.
Speaker 20: I think the Chinese have a very difficult set of challenges ahead of them. They're very serious financial overhangs coming out of what's happening in real estate. I take a somewhat more medium term view of it. And what's an economy about. Economy is about people and it's about capital. And what we know is that the number of births in China has fallen by almost fifty percent in the last six years, and we know that Bloomberg reported that the number of millionaires leaving China was kind of high, high by historical standards and high by global standards. So whether it's a supply of people investment in new capital, I think you've got some fundamental bets that aren't running that positive.
Speaker 27: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 15: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 27: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 15: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 27: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business This app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on.
Speaker 11: Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Amy Morris.
Speaker 15: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak