Speaker 1: I'm a homegrowd that knows a little bit about everything and everybody, you know, if.
Speaker 2: You don't lie about that, right Lauren, Hey, y'all.
Speaker 1: What's up. It's Lauren Rosa and this is another episode of the Latest with Laura l. Rosa. This is your Deily dig on all things about culture, entertainment, news, and all of the conversations that shape the room. Baby. So today, y'all know, we kick off the podcast every single day with checking it behind the scenes of the Grind. And I don't know if y'all cannot tell, and my voice, I am exhausted. I recorded this whole opening for you guys, and then I was like, you know what, I'm too tired to even go into the detail of it. It's almost midnight right now, and the podcast goes live at six am, and my call time for Breakfast Club is about five thirty. So I running on fumes right now. But it really made me think about a lot of what my day entailed and why. And I was on a phone with one of my homegirls and I was telling her like, Oh, I'm about to go into a production meeting to prep for my show segments tomorrow, and she was like, damn, you still working like you've been at work all day long, Like you're just getting home. That's probably around like five six o'clock. She's like, you just getting home and you about to like work for a few more hours tonight. And I was like, yes, normally it's so crazy because normally I don't even like unless we're texting, I won't even really like just sit on the phone with my friends a lot during the week. I'm tired of y'all. I am pushing through though, because we made a commitment to consistency this year. We made a commitment to which we've been consistent. Like I do pride myself, like a daily podcast is not an easy thing, but I told myself that this year, not only was I going to be consistent and making sure you guys get episodes, but I was gonna be consistent in my upload times, which mean a lot as we're building together in the community. So here I am tired and all behind the scenes of the grind, but we pushing through because we're gonna go from grinding to living one day soon. Okay, but we gotta get the work done first, so let's get on into the latest. So it's different inspirations A Different World. Do you guys know the TV show A Different World Dwayne, Wayne and Whitley, and you know they go away to HBCU. A Different World has a spin off show or kind of like a sequel show that is coming to Netflix on September twenty fourth. Now this is amazing because majority of all of the original casts will be returning. The original A Different World premiere back in nineteen eighty seven and followed a group of students who went away to college for the first time. At the it's like fake HBCU called him in college. But I feel like every student, Shoot, we're not students anymore. Y'all be grown. I feel like every student, or some of y'all may be students, every student who is going to an HBCU, or every alumni or alumni who have graduated from HBCU, at least one time you have sat and watched A Different World because they went to a fictional HBCU. It was Hill in college, and I think a lot of us envisioned hum in college in many different ways for ourselves as what we thought at HBCU would be like. So one of the original cast members, her name is Don Lewis. She co wrote the song that is the different World theme song that we know. Let's listen to the original theme songs.
Speaker 3: Know my Parents Love Me, sing behind Me, read.
Speaker 1: I'm right, But now a Different World has a new re done freshly redone theme song Our Girl Brandy. That's said liaten A Brandy doing the Different World theme song. It's a different world and where you come from? Ye see, you know, go again tole I know my parents love stand behind me, Come one, lady.
Speaker 2: And none of that.
Speaker 3: I'm ready for how Bunny we have them faces. It's the different world and where you come from it's the different world.
Speaker 1: Then where you come from, it's a different world. The way you come from, it's a different world and where it comes from.
Speaker 2: Some mom different world.
Speaker 1: Put me in the world. What's so dope about this to me is when I think about, you know, like motivation in the space and pride and what I'm doing and how I'm doing it and like all of that. Of course, I mean, you got these staple shows that I think about, Cosby Show, Living Single Girlfriends, Moesha, but Moesha, but Moesha, I remember why? I mean a different world as well. We're talking about a different world. But I remember watching a Different World and wanted to go to an HBCU. I remember watching Living Single and wanted to work at a magazine because you know, like Queen Latifa, they ran a magazine. And I remember watching Girlfriends and wanted to be fly. I wanted to be successful, want to own a home and do all the cute look you know, lunch outings and grabbing drinks with my girlfriends. But I remember watching Moisha and just wanting to be just be like Moaisha's story was such a story of a young black girl just going through life. Like you know, we experienced so many different things for the first time with her, learned so many things for the first time with Mosha, but she really just was a black young woman going through like figuring things out as you know it came along, and I wanted to be in Mosha like I wanted to be in the show. I wanted like I wanted to be in something that felt like that watching her and now she is singing the theme song to A Different World, which another show where it's like yo, I wanted to go to the HBCU like I wanted to hang out in the student center like they did where the merch, like they did find my you know, find my love who and shout out to my man Cozy both friends Adel State, find my Love you know at college like Dwayne, Wayne and Whitley did, like all of these. What I'm trying to say is I think it is so fitting for Brandy. If anybody was going to redo this theme song, it was so fitting for her because A Different World it was such a staple show for so many young people. It made such an impact on people, and Brandy, you know, she says that it made an impact on her. So she gave a quote to Netflix, which is where again the new rendition of a Different World will be. Although it don't have the original cast, there will be a new young cast. And the storyline in the plot is that, you know, Dwayne, Wayne and Whitley's daughter is going away to college and she's experiencing her first year of college. And guess where she's going, y'all? She following her parents. She's going to Hilman. But Brandy says, when they called me to do the theme song, I was so blown away. First of all, I had to get myself together that show was actually coming back. What because I'm a fan of the show. She says, a Different World inspired me as a kid. It made me feel like I could go out into the world and become my own person. With hard work and with dedication, I could make my dreams come true. Brandy, who became known for her throwing rolls and Mosha which was from nineteen ninety six to two thousand and one, and Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella Yo in ninety seven with Whitney Houston. Watching Brandy and Cinderella was so magical and it's so crazy that she's saying at a different world that inspired her and made her want to be on TV and do all these magical things, and then she goes on to do them and now it's coming back full circle and she is singing the theme song, and I'm like, we had such good, feel good, substantive television and movies that were black, and it wasn't like it wasn't like black where it's like they couldn't act, like they couldn't talk about the black experience. I feel like a lot of suf now it's like, yeah, you got black people on television and a lot of these series, but you know, it's like they're racially in big ambiguous, or you might have one conversation about things are actually happening in young black people's lives, if at all. Outside of that, everybody's on stream. And I'm not mad at the stream, but it's like we had television that was it was like curated and centered around certain conversations, even if they had to fight behind the scenes to make those conversations happen, almost like a teacher has a curriculum at school. And we learned so much it was crazy, if you think about it. We learned so much by the conversations they were having on shows like a Different World like Moesha through the TV, and if you were lucky and blessed enough, you were taking that back into your home and having those conversations at home as well too. But think about what that exposure and seeing people like you, really like you too, I mean, dressing like you, lip gloss, popping brown lip, lying a girl around the way like you on televis Brandy continues, you know, watching all of this and watching a Different World inspired her singing career and inspire her to want to do more acting. She says, just seeing people that look like me on television made me dream bigger. I know exactly what she's sad. Even living in California because Brandy like lived in California. I thought. I was like I literally remember being like, I'm going to move to California and I want to go to school in California because I want to hang out and do the things like that Brandy and her friends was doing. Like I remember one episode specifically of Moosha where she was dating Q and they was head into the house parties and she had the like the jeep, I think it was his jeep, and then it broke down. They weren't supposed to be there. It was like a whole key. But when I moved to La, I wanted to get the jeep. I wanted to be like Moysha. When I went to the HBCU, I wanted to be like all of the people that I watched World. So whoever put that connection together, I'm just like, Okay, if we're going to do this, we need somebody who like, you know, can actually sing and it sounds good, but also like it's also a staple in television that impacted and change people's lives, and I think with you know, a lot of these newer shows being added to Netflix. Like I remember when Moisha was added to Netflix. There's a younger audience who doesn't remember the impact of Masha on television that is going to watch it because it went so viral. People were having conversations about Moisha. She was a good friend, horrible friend, a good person, a bad or like it started a conversation, and conversation is like word of my recommendation at this point. So then you have a bunch of younger audiences that will go and watch a different world, right, And they're going to trickle in through the Moosha and the Brandy realm of things, but then they get to a different world and they get to experience not only the original different world because you can watch that on Netflix as well, but now this new refreshed story and I think the intergenerational thing is just amazing. So I was excited to see this. I'm excited to see what the spinoff gives, and I'm excited to review it. Actually, I think when that drops, we'll do like some dedicated episodes just to it, because like, I really can't tell y'all enough how watching these shows are the reason y'all are hearing from me right now, like literally speaking of school. There was a video that was circulated on my timeline today on Instagram as I was just trying to take a second to wind down from work in between going back to work for the podcast. But there's a chef. His name is Darius Williams, but he goes by Darius Cooks on Instagram. He's known, you know, pretty known online. I actually didn't know him as it cook This video actually is what brought me to him in his Instagram. But I was like doing some diggings just finding out who he was, and I saw that a lot of people were talking about how he's this like really well known chef online. Then I went to his Instagram and saw a lot of the plating and the food. But more recently he had posted a video talking about decorating his class for the first time first day at school, and this was literally this week. These videos were posted this week. He's an early first time teacher who is getting a very rude awakening about what our education system has done. We talk about, you know, hope, belief, inspiration and having that through television. We don't have that, But we also don't have a lot of the educational practices outside of school that you know, I feel like our parents were doing with us, and it's shown in the kids. Honestly, I feel like this has always been an age hotel, especially in inner city schools with black kids. But let's take us to the Varius Williams.
Speaker 2: So I am on my lunch break. It is I don't know, eleven thirty or something like that, and I just finished a three hour class. We have what's called block, and block is where first and second periods are combined for subjects that needed.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: I literally broke down in the middle of class because I'm teaching seniors. These kids are leaving high school and going to college hopefully. After they finished, we had two paragraphs to read, one sentence complete to write. I gave them the sentence stamps, basically configured the sentence for them in the model.
Speaker 3: These are seventeen and eighteen year old kids, and they couldn't fill in four words four words.
Speaker 2: I gave them the scenario we annotated together. I gave them the answers before we even had the problem, and they couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I simply don't know where the problem is. This is only day two, and I have seniors who simply cannot read and singers cannot write. They cannot write, they can reason, they have the ability to defend their reasoning if it's talking to their homeboy, but applying that to a written text, to paragraphs, and they couldn't do it. Our young black men, our young brown men, our young black girls, and our young prop girl.
Speaker 1: Now I begin looking up, like what is reading literacy like for black students in the United States? According to a website called DC Action, there is a severe and persistent achievement gap. So national data shows that only about seventeen percent of black fourth graders and fourteen percent of black eighth graders read at or above proficiency levels, trailing significantly behind their white and Asian peers. Which is crazy because think about in eighth grade, where like if you remember where you were in eighth grade as far as like what your mental was like and the things that you were beginning to think about. Like I remember being in eighth grade and I was excited to go to high school, but like you're getting prepared to drive, you're getting prepared to like start working eventually, and there are some people that are having to prepare for all of that, and then it's like college prep stuff if you're starting that early in ninth grade. Once you're leaving eighth grade, you know, you start doing SAT classes if you're early enough and smart enough, and a lot of the schools just offer that ahead of time now so that you're not cramming to prepare for the SATs. Imagine all of that and you can't read or write proficiently. Now. Some of the contributed factors to this poverty and resources. So black children faced higher rates of economic disadvantage in neighborhood poverty, which directly correlates with lower school funding and fewer learning supports. The sad thing about this is I went to an inner city school. Shout out to Howard High School Technology. I went to an inner city school, and I remember what school was like before the state stepped in, and what school was like after. I was kind of toward my end of my matriculation through the high school at that point, like I was a senior headed out by the time the state stepped in. But I just remember our teachers, like I said this all the time that the high school I went to saved lives. They didn't just teach us as students. It saved lives because our teachers were working with nothing. I remember our buildings falling apart, our books were old, like you know. Literally toward my junior senior year, we started getting more support. I went to a votech high school. At I was a legal administrative assisting career path like that, I was learning how to do that. A lot of the people I went to high school with didn't go on a college. They became legal administrative assistants and then went on to be paralegal. Some of them did go to college. A lot of people went to college, and if they did, they might have stayed in the criminal you know area criminal justice areas for our study, or like they went on to become lawyers. I just remember everything we needed and how like we would be really excited when the local businesses, like the local banks or local law firms or whatever would come and partner with our career areas, because then our shops would have all of the i't want to say shops, I mean like your shop is like your career path, but like so like your main courses of study, which had to do with where you wanted to go. Trade wise, we had a lot of support in those areas because local businesses would come in. But in the other areas where local businesses are not coming in and donating books and time and all, like, it wasn't that teachers were stressed. Like we went through it, and I remember when the state stepped in, And I don't remember exactly what made them step in, but I just remember when they did, how things changed. Physical location of our school change, like we were in the same address. I don't mean that, but just like the look of it, Like they begin revamping the physical structure of our school, renovating inside of the school books. There was more technology available, Like everything just changed, and that matters. This article also talks about how many public schools have historically used outdated reading techniques rather than evidence based, phonic focused instruction.
Speaker 3: And that's what I like.
Speaker 1: When I was listening to this video and then I went back and I watched how he was teaching his class, I'm like, Oh, he reminds me like an old school teacher who's like actually taking the time to like break down and like, you know, all the things that he was talking about in that video, and I don't really know how much of that is done nowadays because there's so much technology. And that's another thing too, that a different world. I'm like really anxious to see how they navigated a different world. Is to have the task of telling the story of what HBCU looks like today while also keeping it not too like, oh my god, we're in twenty twenty six. Everything is so woke and everything's technology based in AI because a different world has such a black like enriched HBCU feel, And I really don't know how to describe the feeling I'm talking about much.
Speaker 2: It's like you.
Speaker 1: Had to experience attending an HBT you to understand what I'm saying. But it feels like home, it feels like community, it feels like family. So I'm interested to see how the directors, the epes like how they make this new different world still feel like that way, still feel like family, still feel like home, but also capture like everything that should be happening in classrooms with black students today that potentially isn't anymore because you don't like even the way that teachers like nurture kids are different because there's so many like things that you have to be careful of that I feel like during that time I mean, you still should have had been careful of certain things, like you know, all the weird stuff, But there are certain things during these times, like when you watch a different world, you know the teachers cared about the students because it wouldn't beyond the books. Twenty twenty six. It's really kind of hard to go beyond the books because I don't know, people are just weird and you you can't. Everything is so different now. So I'm excited to see how that will work out, especially because there are teachers like the literally what y'all just listen to. There are teachers like that in so many schools across the country who need to see and understand that what they're doing is a sleepless, endless fight. They don't get enough credit for, they don't get enough money for, but they literally save lives. Getting an inner city black student from middle school to high school to college literally can save their life. And I don't just mean because they're in college and you know, they graduate and they can go on to all these beautiful things. I mean, you may literally save a child's life because they're not wrong time, wrong place in their neighborhood and all the things that come with that well, it's not having a name, you know, so many different things. I feel so bad when I saw this video though, of a former chef turned teacher, Like I felt really really bad, only because I feel like those are the type of compassionate people that you need in schools, but it always seems like those are the people that get burnt out from it. He's only on day two of his teaching join this is the first week. But that's why it shows, like A Different World are important that showcase, you know, prestige education with black young people, because I think also to the kids kind of lose there, like it's you got to say, motivated to learn, And I remember all of the times I was motivated to learn and want to do better in school, it was because I love the teachers. I love the direction on top of maybe just loving it, Like you know, you had your favorite subjects in school, but how you're being taught on what you're being taught, it matters. And I think A Different World showed that early early on, and we need that now. You guys heard it first hand here. We need it so looking forward to that. Shout out to Brandy, you know for doing the theme song, and I really really play that this teacher is able to. I don't know, I find I was gonna say, like find resources and help, but sometimes that's impossible too literally like, sometimes that is impossible. I'm gonna give you, guys his instagram in case you want to go pour some love over on his Instagram. So head on over to Darius Cooks on Instagram if you have an Instagram, if you don't have an Instagram. He also has a website, but it's like a shopping website, so I don't know if that would make the most sense. Yeah, it's a shopping website for his brand. Let me see if there's an email, let's say, cause sometimes I feel like people who are working in very high pressure, debilitating spaces just need to hear your yo, you're doing a good job. His email shop Darius Cooks at gmail dot com. Send him some love, y'all. I'm one on the Rosa. This has been another episode of the Latest with Louran the Rose. I tell you, guys, every single episode, y'all could be anywhere with any old body, but you guys choose to be right here with me, my lowriders. I appreciate you, guys, and I'll catch you in my next one.