Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Dale Jones February fourteenth and fifteenth, Then catch Lucas and Selnick February twenty first and twenty second, and don't miss club favorite Ian Bag February twenty seventh through March first. Comedy Up Broadway opened and downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best in stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five nine two seven to one joke or physic Comedy Up Broadway dot com Bay.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Welcome everyone. It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Wednesday, March the fifth. It is ash Wednesday. Uh here, well not just here, everywhere across the world. And you can give shall the Clark's Pumpet Shop phone line eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. A Vision Auto Glass text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. This edition sponsored by the T. J. Smith Loves. If you call TJ, He'll make them. We are here at Ks Bar and Grill for Wings Day Dollar Wings. Starting when we opened at eleven o'clock. But we are here now and excited to be here. Ryan drew a nice little crowd of folks celebrating after the Cats absolutely dismantle LSU last night, ninety five sixty four, huge win, exactly as we wanted to see it. And Ryan, it was a feel good game. You know, in the SEC play, we've really not had many games where like it was never really a game at any point, and that one Cats got up early, just kept extending it and it was a feel good win for everybody that's it.
Speaker 4: Man, it was a feel good win to kind of celebrate the last home game for these seniors. You we kind of just needed that moment just to kind of celebrate together as a as a fan base of a big win that was never in doubt from the beginning. So, you know, our entire psyche of our state a lot of time depends on how Kentucky basketball does.
Speaker 3: It should be a lot of emphasis on this.
Speaker 4: It should be a lot of happy people today.
Speaker 3: Higher psyche of the state down to the uk LSU game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we're gonna have a happy couple of days here. So well, if your postgame show is an indication some people started early last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's gonna be a drunk few days. If you listen to the postgame show. We had a we had we had a rally of that might have been the most drunk callers for a weekday postgame show I can remember in a long time. It was quite something. And then but but it was a good win. You know, Drew, you were there, So I would say for me, the whole I kind of felt like the night was almost like a celebration of kind of UK basketball and sort of the new era of how things have gone. I mean, you start from Senior Night, which not only had six seniors, but six seniors, all of whom play right like, so, I mean it's been a while since we've had a group of seniors that that's that it had that many that also play. Then you throw in the addition of a feel good win where you kind of run away with it. And then after the game, Pope and all the players talk to the to the round. They all six came on the postgame radio broadcast, which I thought was a really neat addition. I have to say to UK and JMI, it's it's still a shame to me. Why do they make the Senior Day ceremony. Now you have to pay for it to watch it. You know, that's on the I looked for it. You have to play for all access. That's come on now. Seriously, that's the exact opposite of what we want with some of this stuff. But take that out of the way and kind of the new era of like we feel good about people wanting the front of the jersey. I just felt like last night kind of celebrated that throughout and pretty much everybody that played had a good game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a great night. It's my first time talking today. I haven't spoken to anyone. Could see you, guys know, a great night. If Jami wants to hide it behind the pay wall, you can go to KSRS YouTube watch the whole thing there. We'd love to have you.
Speaker 3: Oh you got it on KSRS Utah you of course and skip them just eat it then jam. But that really made me mad though I wanted to watch it live and it was like sign up for I get you have to charge for things. I don't mind that, but like, there should be a couple of things that are sacred. Senior Day should be one of them.
Speaker 5: But going, yeah, one of Kentucky basketball's best traditions. Marlena Van Hoos is officially my old Kentucky home from now until the end of time. It is now her song on Senior Night, she better be back every year. That was a highlight, and I mean, of course the game was a lot of fun, but then when they took the mic at the end, it was like Senior Night all over again, even better. I mean they all really poured out how grateful they were for the fans, and yeah, I like that. They said we're not done yet. Even Jackson Robinson, who's not playing anymore, said looking forward to the postseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So you know, as far as a game, cats come out early starters, get up, what is it like, you know, eighteen to five or somewhere like that like that. Then they go to the reserves. Didn't work great, but you know what, then they went back and it played really well. I mean, really didn't have a down time. The whole game got big games from Brandon Garrison, Ainsley Almanor Oway obviously had one of his biggest games. My MVP selection was correct, But I will tell you that the thing that for me I take away from this is a young Mormon chap named Colin Channer. And here's the reason I say that, I felt like with Jackson Robinson God that we were one player short of kind of athletic come in play defense score. And I love Tret, Travis Perry and Trent Noah. I don't think they're there yet for that this year. So I just thought we weren't gonna have it. But Colin Chandler is athletic. Colin Chandler can guard Colin Chandler. The thing that's looked scary about him is he was scared to death, didn't want to shoot, looked timid on offense. And then last night eleven points made three open threes, looked comfortable, and I thought, man, if you could get fifteen minutes, twelve to fifteen minutes of that a game, now that's a whole nother ballpark.
Speaker 4: He'd earned some minutes just by his defensive play. But now you're right, he's and he took the shot with confidence. There was a couple of times you know, bam, got it booms straight.
Speaker 3: Now was in a dude's eye, I mean, like like he did. He wasn't just open one of them. He just looked at a guy and took it in his eye. Yeah, he's the story of the night.
Speaker 5: Even though Oway went off was non for eleven Chandler maybe having a breakthrough moment was great to see, especially after what they have five bench points against Auburn and forty three last night.
Speaker 3: Really big difference between Yeah, part of that.
Speaker 5: I wonder, you know, like I said yesterday, you want Jackson Robinson, but now that he's out, it's almost like guys know it's their turn to step up.
Speaker 3: It's that It almost like that Pope said, like, all right, now we know Robinson's out, so like we don't have to sit there and think about what's our team gonna be. Like Robinson's out, and now we build the team with that in mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like a picture knowing they're gonna start the next day. You know your assignment. They know the Jackson Robinson. They're done with the probables, the maybe's he's out and then they have to step up. And he was the first one to take big advantage of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was great to watch. It was great to watch those guys have that moment. And then you know, Lsu I think kind of quit, but we didn't. I mean, score ninety five I thought they were kind of consistent throughout the game. Had maybe a couple small defensive lapses, but nothing big. It was exactly what you want. Now they go to Missouri on Saturday. That will be a tough environment and a tough game. I will tell you. You know, we've talked about this. I'm a bracket guy, right, Yes, sure, I love I love the brackets. I draw them, and yeah we don't always finish them on this show, but I start a lot of them right because they're fun.
Speaker 4: I think the right word is bracket nerd without question.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I I look at Joe Lonardi and I go, I hope that's not my future. But maybe it is. Maybe it is, Maybe it is. I don't know. So so last night my friend Ricky Collis sent me. He sent me this little website where you could play with the SEC tournament scenarios.
Speaker 4: Oh you can.
Speaker 3: I did it way too long. I did that like so you like. It had a spreadsheet and with every game you could pick who wins and then see what happen. Yeah, so I think I have it massed.
Speaker 4: If you're ready, So here are Can you simplify it?
Speaker 3: Basically, Kentucky can be as high as a five seed that's still plausible, or as low as a nine. Now, we don't want a nine because we don't play on Wednesday. Correct, So here's the scenario that we need to avoid. We need one of these things not to happen. Old Miss would have to lose twice, so they play tonight. If they were to win the night, then our nine seed is out. We wouldn't be so for us to be a nine seed, Old Miss has to lose twice. Now they play Tennessee in Florida, so they could lose both of them.
Speaker 4: They could lose both those games.
Speaker 3: We would have to lose to Missouri. Okay, Mississippi State would have to uh it beat Arkansas, loser lose to Arkansas, and then Vandy would have to beat Georgia. You got it.
Speaker 6: God, we need to be for the Mississippi schools, So we need Old Miss to win a game, Mississippi State to beat Arkansas, or Georgia to beat Vandy.
Speaker 3: If we lose, there's like five things, but honestly, all five of those could easily happen. So we now, let mean that's the negative scenario. Here's the positive. You beat Missouri. Okay, you beat Missouri Texas A and m loses their next game, Mississippi State loses, Vandy loses, et cetera. We could get all the way to the five because we would own the tiebreaker on Missouri, and if we beat them, we'd pass them, and then we could beat the five seed and all of a sudden, so we can be as low as a nine or as high as a five. The most likely scenario, though, is still an eight. And if things kind of play out like there, what you know, we could be an eight and you know who are nine? Could be the Arkansas reason Like, there's a scenario that can happen where Arkansas wins, Old miss loses, Vandy drops again, and all of a sudden, Arkansas the nine and worthy eight. Can you imagine that game if that ended up happening. I actually would like it because I think we beat them the second time, but it would be a pretty nerve wrecking game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would take it. I've been so nervous about Wednesday. I've been even going back to the other day, Like when we won last night, a ten seed was still in play till till Mississippi State loss. That's how the LSU game, I mean it was important, but we're still not out of the water. And the scenario you mentioned where it can be Vandy Ole Miss in Kentucky, that's kind of the favorites winning all those games, which is you're not an.
Speaker 3: Ideal situation, the favorite one all five of.
Speaker 5: Those games except maybe the Arkansas Misissippi State that's the one where.
Speaker 3: So what we need to do basically is we gotta say, let's just start with tonight. If you watch it tonight, we want Old Miss to beat Tennessee. It's hard to do, but we need them is it is the game. Tennessee's a two point favorite, so we need we need Old If we Old Miss winns tonight, then Wednesday is off the table and we can go into next week just deciding are we gonna be the five seed or were gonna be the eight seed? So we need Old Miss to win and night and it's easy to root against Tennessee, so we should be able to do that, right.
Speaker 4: Crazy easy. I'm still thinking about if Arkansas's the nine and we're the eighth, very plausible. Can you imagine that fan base down in Nashville. It's all blue anyway, and it's a more raucous crowd.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I'm go go ahead and tell you all of you who are like you know what, I'll get there Thursday afternoon. I'll be there for the Kentucky No, no, no, no. If we're playing Arkansas on Thursday, we need to go fill that place up because because we can't lose to them again. You know what I mean, Web, And the good thing is whatever bad taste we had in our mouth from losing that game Drew, if you were to go beat him in the SEC tournament, It's like when Indiana hit the Watford shot, You're like, okay, but you lost when it mattered, So we need we need to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they would still need some wild upsets to get there. But if that scenario happened and we were to lose, that will be the saddest scene on Broadway. Imaginable Kentucky fans going home at the hands of John Caliperi in Nashville after wanting him gone because he couldn't win.
Speaker 4: Win in Nashville.
Speaker 3: That would Belle start talking about his dog in Nashville. I wouldn't be responsible for what I did. I'm just I'm just gonna go ahead and say and say that like, I wouldn't be I couldn't be held responsible.
Speaker 5: So that was a crazy win for them. Last night. I caught a lot of that game. I completely wrote them off without a due that man went was backs against the wall.
Speaker 3: Yeah they do all right. Now for for Kentucky, I think we am I crazy to think we could beat Missouri. What can't we beat they like they play? Uh? Did they play tonight or they play Oklahoma today? They play Oklahoma tonight, By the way, in order for us to get the five, they would have to lose to Oklahoma tonight too. So so the other secondary game you'd probably want to root for is Oklahoma to beat Missouri. And it's plausible. Oklahoma's at home and Oklahoma needs it like to get in the tournament, so it's a big game for Oklahoma.
Speaker 4: But go ahead, well, Missouri. And there was a time where they were playing as good as anybody, Alabama, Auburn, they were playing really well. It seems like this last game especially, they kind of fell upon little bit. So I don't really know what's going on with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah I don't either, but I do, Uh, I'd love the idea because if let's say you're a five, you get up there, you might have Tennessee as you're for a team you've beaten. You might have a Florida team that you've beaten. There's you're four, and all of a sudden you could see a potential for a run. So lot of a lot of possibilities. But the key is, let's get Old miss to beat Tennessee tonight and then we don't have to worry about Wednesday at all. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The easy way to look at it just root for the Mississippi schools so this week, that'll get you out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, root for the Mississippi schools. That's exactly right. If I'm nine to two, eight oh twenty two eighty seven a really good, feel good way when it was also proved to me, I'm now on a kick. There should never be one moment of any game we're both Butler and away or out ever, true, because if you i the moment they were both out. Yeah, Like, if you're gonna if you're gonna have Periot point guard put away at the two, if you're gonna have a way out with uh, you know, Chandler or whoever else at the two, Uh, keep Butler like you gotta have one of those guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's set on the minutes with these guys, so maybe we can convince him into staggering.
Speaker 3: How he chased He did more of that. Yeah, the first substitution was a line change. Didn't work well. And then as the game went on, he was staggering and I was like, Okay, maybe we're getting somewhere.
Speaker 4: I think most people would be okay with that. It's those massive line changes he does that kind of gets us to throw on a funk.
Speaker 3: At one point he had in that first half when they made their little run. The worst defensive lineup we could have put on the floor, like, there's not a worst defensive lineup than Perry Braa, Noah almanor Garrison, and that was the lineup when they made the run. You cannot have that lineup.
Speaker 5: In about once a game, whether it's that lineup or others, my phone will blow up with friends are all like what is this group? It happens about once a game, usually in the first half, but there's a head scratching rotation made.
Speaker 3: Nevertheless, big win A five nine twenty two eighty seven. I want to talk more about some Senior Day stuff, including I think a really cool moment that goes to what we've talked about with the whole what the jersey means, and get you ready for the week ahead. This is We'll take a break. It's weingsday here at Kentucky Sports Radio. That was I'm in at CHS worker back at is Kentucky Sports Radio. A if I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four one person rights. Matt listening to you go through SEC tournament bracket scenarios tells me you have too much time on your hands. Well, what did you do last night? That was so cool? Eight five nine seven nine seven You and your wife sitting bed and go, hey, honey, how was your day? How was your day? That's any like? I mean, I you know, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: That's the opposite. Abby looked at me, he is like, are you really up at three am? Still doing this? I had the scenarios up as like, yes, there's so many scenarios.
Speaker 3: I mean most people. I cannot trying to be rude to you eight five nine seven nine seven, but your guy, but your life, what did you do that was so awesome? Oh? It's such an exciting night sitting and watching reruns of Lost with your wife before falling asleep at ten fifteen. Like, stop it.
Speaker 5: Some of us like to know what happens if LSU beats an M and Georgia beats Vandy, Mississippi State loses Arkansas.
Speaker 3: I don't you worry about me. You worry about yourself.
Speaker 4: Nothing says romance in the bedroom, like looking at brackets. Maybe they should look into that.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I was by myself. I didn't. I wasn't trying to a cigarette after your brackets Statuh.
Speaker 5: It's exactly right.
Speaker 3: I went and it was. I had a shower and I went, you know what, this was a wonderful evening.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: One person, right, It's okay, Matt. That's the SEC tournament scenarios. Where do you think we are now with the NCAA tournament. I sort of look at it like this, Drew, I think we Uh. I think if we were to beat Missouri, we're a three seed, probably playing somewhere that's close enough for people to drive. So uh, I think if we were to beat Missouri, we might end up in Providence, h Rhode Island. I kind of look at it like this, we're gonna if you look at where teams go. If I'm guessing, and this could change with upsets, We're either going to Providence, Rhode Island, or Denver if we if we're towards the top end, if we beat Missouri, We're probably going to Providence, Rhode Island, and we'll figure out that city. There's a place I've spent no time in my life. If we lose, then I think we might drop to a four, especially if we lose in the quarterfinals the SEC tournament, that probably puts us in Denver. But if I were to Gas, I'm thinking one of those two cities, Drew is our likely destination.
Speaker 5: I loved the new bracketology yesterday. That's Denver in Atlanta where you just have to beat the Utah Valley in Saint Mary's and know there's still a little basketball left that'll change it up. But I would also take Providence. Either one of those I'm fine with. I just don't want to go way out west like you all asked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think we. I think we would have had to lose last night to go all the way out west to Seattle. So I or if we lost in the first round. If we lost to Missouri and the first round of the SEC tournament, like to Mississippi State or Arkansas, then maybe I could see us getting booted out to Seattle. I think as long as we win one more game again, I think you beat Missouri, we're going to be a three seed. No matter what happens in the SEC Tournament, we end up going to Providence and we'll buy some insurance or whatever it is they do.
Speaker 4: That's Prudential.
Speaker 3: Well, what's in Providence? And I wasn't I knew. I didn't think Prudential was a city. I think Providence is known for insurance? Or is that Hartford? I think it's hard for Hartford has the insurance, but they have insurance.
Speaker 4: You still get insurance in Providence insurance.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of what Providence is known for because we might be spending like five days there, So I do want to, like, have I've.
Speaker 4: Never been to Rhode Island, so let's me my first time.
Speaker 3: If we've had this conversation, we drove you through Rhode Island.
Speaker 5: We've been with you.
Speaker 3: You cut through Delaware, not I drove the Rhode Island on the trip to Maine. We we we went through Rhode Island.
Speaker 4: I don't remember that. Maybe I was a sleep.
Speaker 3: Okay, well you maybe you were eight if I'm nine to two, eight oh twenty two eighty seven, all right, so cool. I did really like the moment with the kid from Madisonville. So there's a kid. You know, this is a great story. Just it's a great story just in general. Okay. So, so Pope says he wants to have walk on tryouts every year at UK. Now, as a side note, the house settlement that we're talking about with you and I actually may not let that happen. We'll have to see how it goes. I think that needs to be fixed because you need to have walk ons. But Zach, so they have an open tryout, sixty five dudes show up, gets down, Zach Towel from Madisonville gets picked. I kind of thought it was I'd heard he kind of wasn't on the team, but on the team, and I thought that was kind of odd. But that's how it was. Apparently, according to Mark Pope, a one day tryout every day. If he had to keep earning his spot over and over and over, and I guess he did. They never had him dress out for a game. He sat there in sweatpants, in a sweatsuit the entire time. The players all decided a couple weeks ago they thought he deserved to have that moment. So Mark Pope's in the locker room. Lamont Butler gave Zach twel jersey and said you get to dress tonight, which had to be very cool. Now then not only does he get there, Pope gets checks him in, So now he'll go into record books Ryan as a UK basketball player. Otherwise he would not have he would have been in the team picture, but he would have not been an official UK basketball player. He checks in and now he gets to have that. For the rest of his life, he'll be able to say he was a UK basketball player. Just a really neat moment. Yeah, he just checked in for point two seconds, but he did. I don't know if you see on TikTok his sister who played, who was a really good softball player at Alabama, she has a TikTok of her like watching it and like crying and like, this is what an amazing moment for our family because she was at the game. Again, if you're talking about what makes BBN special and unique, this is what it is exactly.
Speaker 4: That's what makes UK basketball BB That's what made college sports special. Our stories exactly like this. And I'm telling you, man, even though it was point two seconds for that kid to hear his name announced checking in for the they go out kat Zach twe I mean goosebumps.
Speaker 3: And I think about little things like when they do these reunion days. Yeah, come right, like when they have the alumni hate you're a former player, you can get tickets for game. He gets to get it like it's the most important point two seconds of a person's life.
Speaker 5: And you know me, I was absolutely thrilled. I know the towels a little bit. Marcia actually texted me when I was parking saying, Zach just walked out and he's got a jersey on. So I was already thrilled just knowing they gave him a jersey. I didn't expect him to actually get in. But that's a Maroon legend that played about three years ago. He was great in Madisonville, and I'm glad he's getting a chance to get a few minutes or a few tents of a second with Kentucky.
Speaker 3: There are some people online that were like why not give those dudes a minute of action? I'm certain knowing you Ryan, you're one of those people. Did you think that because you know the Horn and Darbyshire and they haven't played much at all.
Speaker 4: I was screaming with about four minutes left that last TV timeout they were up thirty. I'm like, put them in, give it and let the seniors get checked out one at a time. Give them their mouth.
Speaker 3: It nice they do it.
Speaker 4: Should have should have done that. Give those kids to come. I mean they practice every day. They deserved me on the court a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would have been nice. But but for it's just a really for a kid from Kentucky, and I love that. You know, I had the open trial. He comes through the open tryout. He did. He didn't come to UK even thinking he was gonna play basketball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was the president of his frat when he tried out.
Speaker 3: He was a frat president and then all of a sudden tries out, keeps making the cut, gets to come. Mark Pope might be a little bit more of a hard ass than I realized, in the sense that he gave him a one day contract. Every day. It's like, you know, Mark, he's been here sixty five days, maybe just letting be on the team.
Speaker 5: Actually he was at Pro Day. That's how back back his one day contract goes.
Speaker 3: And every day he was walked in there like all right, you got one more, one more. But then finally he gets it for last night.
Speaker 4: I love it. That's every Kentucky kid's dream. When you're shooting out in your driveway.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, we'll take a calls. Be right back to Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: TJ Smith personal injury attorney.
Speaker 5: Call TJ.
Speaker 3: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio. Present it by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio EF. I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. Here it's ks Bar and Grail. It's Wings Day, Taller Wings. We open here in thirty minutes and you can eat. Well, you could see all of them if you want. I mean, you could just say give me as many as you got. Uh and Emmy with the other people here might not like it, but like we could. We could. We could do that and then we'll just close for the day. Matter we'll find some more chickens. So Women's SEC Tournament starts this afternoon. Kentucky, of course, doesn't play until Friday. This segment of sponsored by Cornbread Himp. We will be there Friday at their twenty five thousand square foot facility in Louisville. By the way, be watching with the legislature. Legislation is trying to do some some sneaky stuff on HEMP CBD. So if that's something you use, and I don't know why you wouldn't with Cornbreadhimp dot com. A lot of our folks are using it, including a lot of people on this show. You may check in with your with your legislator before they screw things up. But that we are going to be there on Friday, and they're gonna have they got gummies, they got all that's twenty dollars gift cards you can use online. You can learn more at cornbreadhemp dot com. But we will be there Friday. I thought there was a no crowd show, but this ad says crowd. So I will have you the official news uh tomorrow because I don't know that that's a place like it's a working facility, so I don't know if we're able, but uh, I.
Speaker 2: Went the other day they were they said they wanted to have a crowd out there.
Speaker 3: You want to They told me they didn't want to hold me.
Speaker 4: They didn't want to have a crowd.
Speaker 3: So I don't know. I'll get it straight. But if if we do have a crowd, it's a Louisville remote. They're saying they're gonna give away gummies and gift cards, so so I guess I'll find out, hopefully before the day is over. But that is on Friday, and it's out in the industrial park in uh in Louisville. If I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two one person rights, Matt. If we play like we did last night, this team could be an Elite eight team. I'm convinced. I agree, you play like you did last night, get the right draw. I think I talked about the postgame show. I think it's a big difference if you're a three or four. I think if you, I think the two seeds are not nearly as good as the one seed drew. So if you're a three in the sweet sixteen, I'd much rather play in Iowa State or a Michigan state than play at Houston or a duke in the sweet sixteen. So give me a three instead of a four, which is why I think this Missouri game is important.
Speaker 5: Yeah, even though I would stay it looks good, I think there's still a big gap Houston is.
Speaker 3: They might even be my.
Speaker 5: Favorite to win at all, even with Auburn and the conversation, I think they're very good. So I'm with you. I'd like to stay on that three line to avoid that.
Speaker 3: Auburn loss last night surprise to a lot of people, not necessarily me, because they already had clinched they it was a perfect trap game. They already had clinched the SEC regular season title, they already clinched the one seed. They've probably already clinched the one seed in the NCAA tournament. They play Alabama Saturday, like if you were ever gonna get them, this would have been the time to get them, and they did.
Speaker 4: That's the definition of a trap game what they had last night. They didn't care about that game. They do, I think will care about the Alabama game because it's Auburn Alabama, but again, meant nothing to them last night.
Speaker 5: It's a it's a tail as old as time beat Kentucky lose your next game, and adding to it, Miles Kelly went one for nine and missed all of his three pointers, because that's just how it works. When Kentucky losing, always bet against the other team after Kentucky lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, tell shit, who's first? Jay? Jay? Go ahead? Jay?
Speaker 4: The first time?
Speaker 6: Long time?
Speaker 3: Who are what's up?
Speaker 7: I don't think Tucky's gonna win another title unless we get another coach and they're.
Speaker 3: Like, coach cal all right, I mean again, if you're just trying to be funny, like do you let me ask you? Questions are when you called in, did you think on a second, did you really think you were funny when you said that? Like, did you because you've sat on hold for thirty minutes? Did you really sit on hold for thirty minutes and think you know how we'll get him? I almost it's a pope cake coach and coach cal Can. Did you really like look in the mirror this morning and think that was gonna be a funny joke? Like for real, he's gone, Okay, that's what I thought. Then you hung up, So I'm just saying, like you could you I don't know you, sir, but you can certainly do better than that. He stood on hole for thirty minutes to say that stupid nonsense.
Speaker 5: Then he said he had to go again somewhere to be.
Speaker 3: He had to go because he knew it was terrible, Like he really thought, like he he thought, I'm gonna get him. And then he was like, oh this didn't work.
Speaker 4: Click click, MAT's fussing at me. I'm out of here. By what do you mean I'm fussing at it? He deserved to be first hate, I hate bad jokes, and well, I think he was really thought he was going to try to just be uh uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bitch, I mean John cal Perry. Now they may have made the tournament with that win last night. That may have been the win that kind of got them in, but uh, you know, I mean, I don't think. I say again, if we had this same record with cal this would have been a miserable year. Like it would have just been a miserable year. Even if we had the exact same record, it just would have been with this fan base.
Speaker 5: I think it would have and we also would not have had this exact same record, It would have been much worse. I think I think you're exactly they had for dollars to go shopping with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, well we've gone over that a lot, but this would have been a completely different situation. Who's next, Dave, Dave, go ahead, Dave.
Speaker 7: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Matt? What's up?
Speaker 7: First? The first time calling in, and we just got a couple couple of things. First of all, I'm not a traditional Cats fan because I haven't been, you know, won, my whole life. In fact, I never really followed college basketball or college anything until we moved up to Kentucky and kind of got suck into the four Texa BBN, but then following them since two thousand and eight when we moved here and have really enjoyed it most of the time. I've been super I'm hoping you can answer this for me because I'm just like super frustrated. You got Auburn who lost three games this year, and we as of those teams.
Speaker 3: True, but this isn't I mean, this isn't it no, because I knew this was gonna happen. I mean, first of all, it's gonna be interesting long term to see if this continues to happen. But if you go back and I appreciate the call, I would say that I said this during the preseason. If you go look at Mark Pope's career, it's been one consistent thing. He beats great teams and then he loses to random teams. That's been his that was his career at Utah Valley State, that was his career at BYU, and and I don't know if it's gonna be his career here at Kentucky, but it has been this year. Like I don't know why that is. Maybe it's just the variance of shooting threes and all that, but that's been what it is.
Speaker 4: It's hard to even figure out we are We're in a pretty deep here, and it's hard to figure out how they play so well against some of these top level teams that are killing everybody, and yet then they can't beat it. We're in a game at Texas or Vandy or we you know, Georgia, some of these other teams that they definitely are better than.
Speaker 3: I mean, the perplexing games to me, Drew, Ohio State was baffling, Yeah, I mean, Ohio State was baffling to lose by twenty to Ohio State on a neutral floor, and then the end of the Texas game was baffling in some ways too, because you know we were up and we should have won. Now you also have to remember, when we go on the road, we get a different crowd than a lot of these other teams do. Like I was watching Mississippi State Texas last night, there were like five people in the gym. When we're there. It's a different thing, right, So I but you know it's just Pope in the regular season has these inconsistent moments.
Speaker 5: They have the third most squad one wins. So sure, we'd all love to have a better record. We'd love to be Auburn. But I mean, if I have to lose to Georgia and Texas, a couple of those, to beat Gonzaga, Duke Florida, Louisville Tennessee twice, all those good wins, I can handle the disappointing.
Speaker 3: Now, let's say we flipped it. Let's say we beat the teams we should have and we didn't beat the good team. So let's say we beat Georgia, Vandy, Texas, and Ohio State, but we lost to Duke Tennessee twice in Florida, we'd be like a six or seven seed instead of a three seed. So the way he does it make sure we have a much higher seed Ryan than we would have had other one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the way he played out our resume is fantastic in the eyes of the NCAAA tournament. So yeah, I think we would much rather take that, even though it is disappointing when you lose a couple of those games.
Speaker 3: All right, So we are doing the crowd.
Speaker 4: We are doing a crowd.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I was told the exact opposite, but we are doing a crowd. So let me tell people. When we go to Cornbread Hemp on Friday, it is at Write This Down forty six twelve Chef Avenue Scuff and you if you come, you get a free T shirt, you get free samples of their gummies, and a twenty dollars gift card to use on their product. So that's a pretty good deal. So we are, after month of me saying we're not doing a crowd, I guess we are doing a crowd Friday in Louisville at their facility. I've been out there. It's like in the industrial park. It's kind of hard to find, but when you get there, it's a really nice in a cool play.
Speaker 5: A picture like Willie Walker's factory, and I like to following tub of help.
Speaker 3: What it's like, Shannon, You know, I'm not a conspiracy theory person, right, but I don't like them. I think it's I think it's a waste of tall Like most of the time, here's what happens on conspiracy theories. Everybody gets worked up and then the facts come out and it's nothing or it's not what they thought, and then people just go, well, we didn't learn everything because nothing will stop them from having so perfect example as the awful Epstein stuff. They released all the documents supposedly and there were no documents, right, Like, that's kind of what usually happens with all that said. Something's up with the Gene Hackman death. Okay, they still don't know what happened, and they know it wasn't carbon monoxi.
Speaker 4: That's what they thought it was, right, And.
Speaker 3: Today the Corner reported that they said the wrong dog had died. So they said there were three dogs and a written. Initially they said that one dog. Yeah, now they said we got it wrong. It was the other dog. That's weird to me. How do you misidentify the dog? But they were apparently dead for ten days they were both dead. They have no they have no idea why both the both Gene Hackman and his wife and the dog. Okay, but two of the dogs were alive, which means whatever was in there, whatever gas or whatever that or whatever might have killed them, didn't kill the other two dogs. So what could the what could the explanation be that the husband, the wife, and the dog died but the other two dogs live.
Speaker 4: What could that be?
Speaker 5: My fault was the dog was in a kennel and the other two weren't, and maybe they could get to food and it starved to death or couldn't access stuff while Gena and his wife died. I don't have that answer.
Speaker 4: See, I didn't know this until you just told me. It was all all the early reports where they were suspecting carbon monoxide.
Speaker 3: Plays they've already ruled that out. No carbon monoxide.
Speaker 5: Wow, could it have been Jeane fell because they found a cane and sunglasses next to him and then she made a decision because she knew he was dead and she but they.
Speaker 3: Said, there's no there's nothing that shows any that they killed.
Speaker 4: Themselves, and no trauma to the body or no trauma.
Speaker 3: There was no sign of a break in.
Speaker 5: No, nothing, Wow, it's bizarre.
Speaker 4: It is bizarre.
Speaker 3: Well I just am I did, Shannon. Don't you think that's odd? It's definitely one dog dead, other dogs not dead. That's odd, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if maybe the dogs were like a like kind of like with drusaid, maybe a different part of the house. He's probably got a huge house. Maybe there was some sort of leak in that part of the house, but the other two dogs were somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Well, they said it wasn't It wasn't a carbon monoxide leak. If it was a leak, and it would have had to be something else because it wasn't. They tested for that.
Speaker 5: My best guess is a dog starved. One of the dogs couldn't get to food. The two dogs killed them all.
Speaker 4: That is what happened.
Speaker 3: But what a what a dog starve in ten days? I don't know does a dog? I wouldn't think a dog would starve.
Speaker 2: In ten days.
Speaker 3: I don't think you would starve in ten days. I'm dead. I don't know. Dude, Dude, y'all are shaking hand. You don't think dogs would starve in ten days? I don't think they would in ten.
Speaker 5: Days, especially got.
Speaker 4: And maybe they had a doggy door they could go in and out.
Speaker 3: They didn't have a doggy door. But one of them died. Yeah, okay, so there you go. Still though that doesn't explain the people.
Speaker 5: Didn't she have pills next to her, so he could have died. She saw that he was dead, decided she didn't want to live anymore, left the dogs as they were. Two of them were able to live, and the other one in the crate died in the crate.
Speaker 3: Here you go.
Speaker 2: Most dogs have three to five days without food.
Speaker 3: Only three to five days. Where are you getting that? Is that aigle? Yeah? Google, I don't know Google.
Speaker 5: Five aliens, I have the one I gave more aliens.
Speaker 3: Five eighty seven. Text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. We will take a break and be right back. This is Kentucky Sports Radio. Welcome back Tucky Sports Radio. All right, So see, this is why you put things out to the public. You learn things. So people say dogs can live without food for like three to four weeks, but the water would be the big thing. And and Shannon was right. One of the dogs was in a crate, so might not have had access to water, and so that may make sense, but that still doesn't explain the human beings. We just still don't know about that.
Speaker 4: I assume they've already done autopsies on the bodies.
Speaker 3: They said the toxic they're in the First of all, they lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico, which we've been to, which seems like a weird place for a celebrity to live. But they're doing the toxicology reports. And by the way, if you've never been to Santa Fe, New Mexico, that is a real like there aren't a lot of places in America that are completely unique and like there's nowhere else like them. Santa Fe is kind of like that, Like it's almost like you're in a different country. It's a very cool place. Remember that you and you threw went out in Santa Fe.
Speaker 2: That Oh yeah, I can't remember where we went, but it is.
Speaker 5: That was Reduction Bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the bar you loved man.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like all the houses are like old style, I don't know what you call maybe is it adobe or something like they're all and it's got a down to it's just a if you've never been to Santa Fe, it's off it's hard to get to. You have to drive off the interstate and it's but it's a neat little place.
Speaker 5: My highlight was the restaurant we went to was a buffet, like a Mexican style buffets or twins if I'm not mistaken, But yeah, I loved it all right.
Speaker 3: So the conference tournaments are in full gear. They're going on. Have you seen the Atlantic Sun bracket? No, if you were one of the worst four teams in the Atlantic Sun, you have to win seven games to win the.
Speaker 4: Turn Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: So Bellerman is in that conference, and if you look at the bracket, they make it to where you they they're trying to protect their top seeds.
Speaker 4: H huh.
Speaker 3: A team like that Orman would have to win seven games to win the conference tournament. Do you like that to try to protect your your top seeds? No?
Speaker 5: I like the chance of a team pulling off the upset seven is just a little too extreme. I mean, it's hard enough in conferences that are four and five as it is.
Speaker 3: Eastern Kentucky, by the way, is out already. They lost in the whatever round they were they were in. They lost at Jacksonville. But they're going on. It really starts in full tonight. There's a ton of games going. Do you enjoy the small conference tournaments?
Speaker 4: And that's why I don't like what you said they're doing in the Atlantic sun Man. That's what March. That's what makes March Madness special.
Speaker 3: But it also makes the regular season meaningless if you don't do it like this, like it makes it to where it doesn't even matter because in the conference tournament you don't even get a bye, So like, why not? The goal is to try to protect the teams that do well in the regular.
Speaker 4: Smaller conferences, want their good teams to get in the tournament and do something. Yeah, I don't know. I kind of like just a regular format, just and watch somebody go on a Cinderella run.
Speaker 5: I just love conference tournaments because usually at about noon I can sit at home and get all my DraftKings app and bet and watch college basketball all day on a weekday.
Speaker 3: How do you think Kentucky's women are gonna Do you know they're in? They play their four seed. Looks like they'll probably play Alabama in their first game, a team that I think they beat earlier this year, and then if they would win, they got lucky Texas lost the coin flip, so they're on the opposite side of Texas. Any chance Kenny Brooks's team makes a run.
Speaker 4: They can definitely make a run. I mean the fact that they're got that double bike on of helping, they're just sitting there and rest up, and they're talented enough that they've shown they can compete with those with the big, big boys, big girls in the SEC.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought Columbia. I mean, they lost by double digits, but to get with them two in the fourth quarter showed me they can hang with those teams for a while. And if you're in it in the fourth who knows, maybe in the tournament you flip the script and go on to win it.
Speaker 3: By the way Kenny Brooks said it is on his final radio show, he kind of gave a hint, like, you think we're good this year? Just wait, did he like I think he thinks. I think he thinks he's building the team here that can win big time. Before it's over, we'll see his.
Speaker 5: Recruit for not next year, but the next year. That Madden Greenway. I saw a lot oflight real of her. She is crazy good. I can't wait for her to get her.
Speaker 3: She's like the best. Only people are eyes. We have like the best player in the country coming here in two years that's already committed. And the girl that got hurt, that Jordan Obie girl. She was supposed to be the second best player on this team. She got hurt and has been out the entire season.
Speaker 4: Well, I saw George Amore got the KSR bump named first team All SEC. So she's going our face because of us, exactly right.
Speaker 3: Who's up next, Wesley? Go ahead, Wesley?
Speaker 8: What's going on? I got a couple of things. First off, I really hope we.
Speaker 9: Win on the first in the first weekend this this coming up tournament, it's been pretty hard the last couple of years.
Speaker 8: Me and my brother went up there last year to Pittsburgh and it was just it was terrible.
Speaker 9: We got an airbnb and everything and we just left her like shrew, we're not even staying up here because it was so bad. And then so Kirk carisa is is out for the year.
Speaker 3: So does that.
Speaker 8: Say he's coming back next year or like, what's going on?
Speaker 3: I think Kurk Krisa will play college basketball next year. I don't know if he will play college basketball at Kentucky so I think, I mean, I'm not saying he won't, but I think there's a decent chance that that there'll be uh that another school you know, might get him, just just because I think we have to have a Lamont Butler type point guard. Again, could be wrong, but I would suspect it wouldn't shot me if he's somewhere else next year.
Speaker 4: But he is.
Speaker 3: I think the plan is to play college basketball next year.
Speaker 8: Well, I would hope he would play here. I would hope you know, Pope, you know, recruits him or whatever he needs to do that. And then I also saw that in that current.
Speaker 9: Last bracketology they put out that apparently Auburn is supposed to play in Lessington and.
Speaker 3: Up playing here. Yeah, Auburn oi end up playing here. I appreciate it, appreciate the call. They'll end up playing here. And then I think either Tennessee or Alabama, whoever ends up finishing higher. So the two teams in Lexington will Auburn will certainly be one of them. And then I think Drew either Tennessee or Alabama, So Reperena might be filled with vall fans here coming up in a couple of.
Speaker 5: Weeks, we can raise our prices here and renout kazbar to them if they need it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything costs twice as much for a Tennessee fans. We take a break, be right back our number two. This is Kentucky Sports Radio