Speaker 1: Favorite Disneyland snack, go oh truro.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I love going back there now because now they have flavors, Like there was one that was like caramel apple and it was caramel with chunks of cinnamon.
Speaker 3: Apple on top of the turro.
Speaker 2: Like if it couldn't get any of a higher calorie count, it's like.
Speaker 3: Boom, they just make it.
Speaker 2: Then I always, you know what's funny too, it gives me the excuse to like not be rude to the og and get another chero just later on.
Speaker 1: I think because you're experimenting, it's like, well there are different colors. There's like sleeping one is purple. I think there's one that's purple. There's one that's blue. So there's also it's you know what, you have to try everything and then you're right. You can't be cheating on your wife. So you got to go back to you by the way, Uh, totally correct answer.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, exactly, Okay, good, I was.
Speaker 2: I'm so I always get so nervous that I'm not going to pass your tests.
Speaker 4: It's not a test. I know, I'm kidding. I'm kidding.
Speaker 3: Okay, So yours is tuiro too.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, mine is Turo as well the Chio or the Mickey Begnettes, but the Turo is my is the original one.
Speaker 4: Have you tried the doll whip?
Speaker 2: My husband's favorite that. Between that and those the pickle like, Jordan's like such a pickle person. Oh okay, he says those are like the most I'm hit or miss with pickles. He said, they're the most crisp, like they're there. So that Monroe is popcorn all day. If I don't get her popcorn, she drives me crazy. But it's great because she'll also all choose the popcorn time when we're going to be in the longest line.
Speaker 3: Smart because she's like condemned.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad we're on the same page.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If anything, anyone listening to this podcast will know how to do disney Land and Disney World.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's all we need.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm also gonna absolutely need a Jordan is a pickle person shirt.
Speaker 4: Okay, justsa you know i'.
Speaker 2: Gonna hate that all right, just got in trouble. I'm sure here we go, There we go.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pgs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves.
Speaker 4: Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilfordell and I'm Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: And here we go our third third and it is perfectly in line with Magical rewind Oh get that. It is a huge fan favorite. It is the competitive rollerblading drama Brink and I'm saying that right because it's not just Brink, it's brink Bank with an exclamation point.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and if you can believe it.
Speaker 1: This movie, which by the way, is available on Disney Plus, so go watch. It is adapted from an eighteen sixty five novel Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates by Mary mates Dodge. It was the third ever Disney Channel original movie, debuting on August twenty ninth, nineteen ninety eight. Had a perfect run time of ninety nine minutes. They really do hit that. It's not too you say what you want about Disney movies, but they're not too long usually right, which is great.
Speaker 2: And they don't leave you with oh, I just wish I could have had a little bit more either.
Speaker 1: Yeah this well, yeah, we'll get into this being enough and so very quick, what do you think?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: I feel like you're gonna just completely crush my dreams today.
Speaker 4: Oh not it all?
Speaker 3: What do I think? I you know, I was really excited to watch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, over It was.
Speaker 2: One of my favorites growing up. I mean talked about a heart throb. I could watch it over and over again, and I did so. It was very, very fun to rewatch.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Well, let's just say back in twenty twelve, Complex ranked this as their number one dcom of all time. Well, Entertainment Weekly has it number four.
Speaker 3: I mean that's fourteen years after it aired.
Speaker 4: That's yes, which is saying that it held up.
Speaker 1: Yes, but okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Get a disaster.
Speaker 2: By the way, I would say twenty twelve has to be. It's definitely after the first Cheetah Girls movie, way after, right, and there had to be least one or two high school musicals at this time, right, So still, and.
Speaker 4: We're talking Cadet Kelly and Johnny Tsunamio.
Speaker 1: All these have been these, all the og ones are out and they're still ranking this number one, which leads me to believe that the good people at Complex and Entertainment Weekly hadn't actually seen the film. It was directed by a seasoned TV and movie director, a name we're going to say so many times in this podcast, Greg Beeman.
Speaker 3: Yes, he did everything, the god, the god of d coms.
Speaker 1: He also made the nineteen eighty eight Cory's Movie, which some people would argue was the Corries at their best. We can get into that argument later, because there are plenty of ways where you could go with Lost Boys and other things, but Licensed to Drive and a ton of d coms, including the original under Wraps and Bushwhacked, hundreds of TV shows. One of the things that usually isn't listed here that was one of my favorite movies growing up, though, was Mom and Dad Save the World, which was a great movie that was just so funny. It stars Eric von Detton, who I think we've already.
Speaker 3: What up there.
Speaker 1: That's all you get from Sabrina just who is a true Disney heart throbber right off the set of Days of Our Lives. But he was also an Escape from Which Mountain the Princess Diaries. But he's also really well known now as the bully Sid in the Toy Story movies, which I didn't know, and he was great in those.
Speaker 4: He was a great.
Speaker 3: Sid Did you go back in listened to it.
Speaker 4: I didn't, but I will. I mean I could hear it in my head.
Speaker 2: Voice is not recognizable, it doesn't add up. Fact check it. It is him, but it does not sound like him. It sounds like him when he was like super little. So he really, I mean, did a great job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they might tweak it a bit. I'm not saying they have.
Speaker 1: As a voiceover actor, you never want to assume that they're tweaking your audio. He could just be killing it, which is certainly a possibility, but it doesn't. It doesn't sound like him at all.
Speaker 3: It shocked me. I literally had to go back and listen to.
Speaker 4: H Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: And then we got Sam Horgan, who plays Val, the villainous our tribal Val. Was this ever for you, like a what was it with the Vampire and Wolf movie where everybody picked aside whatever the hell those movies.
Speaker 3: Were Twilight Twilight?
Speaker 1: Was this a Twilight thing where you either liked Eric von Detten or you like Sam Horgan or was everybody just team Eric Vondetten? I mean, because wasn't there like was like Taylor Lautner and the other dude from.
Speaker 3: The Yeah you know what? Yes?
Speaker 2: That was?
Speaker 4: This was so it was Sam Horgan. Was he a crush too? Was he a no? No?
Speaker 2: No, not no no. His eyebrows were far too difned for me.
Speaker 4: So I'm learning so much about you didn't know that? Okay?
Speaker 3: Did you not notice that? Seriously? You didn't notice it at all?
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 2: They are perfectly couldn't give past the dreamy hair. And yes, his hair is amazing too.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, so perfectly coft. This is not a bad thing. No.
Speaker 1: He played Spike in Little Giants and appeared in two episodes of Boy Meets World.
Speaker 4: He did have we did?
Speaker 3: Did you not remember it?
Speaker 1: I did not remember him. I can't remember which one. I don't know if we actually covered them on Podmeats World yet.
Speaker 2: So Spike in Little Giants, if I remember right, is also kind of a villainous character. He is I feel like I feel like Little Giants was also one of my really like favorite movies, but I cannot remember exactly. There's so many kids in that movie that I can't remember exactly, but I'm almost positive he was like more of like on the bad Team or the Mean Team.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, a second producer Jensen was was Sam Horrigan. Was he the guy in Danielle's first episode who tries to get through the break He is, So he's the main bully guy. He's a bully there too.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think he just he only plays jerks.
Speaker 2: He found a niche he found it. Hey, it works, he does it great, he does it great, he.
Speaker 4: Did Okay, So that's so. Then we have covered Sam. Thank you Jensen.
Speaker 5: And then and then he also plays another He's in another episode as well. He doesn't play the same character as most don't and boys.
Speaker 1: World, No, of course not what but he does show up again he does okay, And have we covered that second one or no?
Speaker 5: Yes, he's also Yeah, he comes and goes you listen. He doesn't. I don't think he has much of a speaking role, but he shows up twice. And I don't even think he has a name. He's like school kid too.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, thank you, Okay, I remembered that first one. That's good.
Speaker 1: And then I will say it out loud. The person who I thought stole the movie is Christina Vidal.
Speaker 4: Oh, she was incredible.
Speaker 2: Girl power on the highest level, just killing it. And that that was what I think also was a big draft for me back then, because I went through like a tomboy stage in my like elementary days. This was like hitting junior high when I was like kind of shedding that and going more back to the like girly side, finding my femme, like you know, vibe. And but this movie was like, yeah, like I liked being outside and playing soccer and all that kind of stuff, and like she was such.
Speaker 4: A bad ass, like so badass girl.
Speaker 3: She was sassy as hell and not nobody once she spoke.
Speaker 2: If she said like how a baut I kick your butt in like any sort, they were like, oh.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, and way ahead of her time.
Speaker 1: Ends off, way ahead of her time with stuff like don't call me, don't what is up with guys and all that stuff like that. Yes, way ahead of her time. So okay again, I'm trying we're learning each other as people. So badass girl coupled with cute boy and you're in Yes, Okay, I'm just trying to figure out the formula.
Speaker 4: So yes.
Speaker 1: She played the only real female in the movie except for Brink's mom and which we'll get into the new Disney Horrible Little Sister Trope. She played Gabriella and her IMDb is it's all over the place.
Speaker 4: She's working off the chart all the time, and stuff like Welcome to the Dollhouse, the w W. E. Kine horror movie, ce No Evil, Freaky Friday.
Speaker 3: She was a great singer in that.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right, because she's a singer as well well again Disney Sinners.
Speaker 3: That's when you find out that she's like this incredible singer.
Speaker 1: She had this whole music career too, right with with will Will Smith and not. She was on the remix of Nod Your Head and it's but she every time she was on film, she just stole the scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she shines, She shines, shines.
Speaker 1: There's a reason for that though, And one of the reasons for that is that some of the acting in this movie is not the best. If we're honest, some of it it is not the best, which is, yeah, it's actually bad some of it. I mean, because we've now come off of two movies, and we're biased because there are films but and that we had criticisms for the movies that we were in, but acting wasn't one of them. My acting wasn't great at the beginning of My Day with the President's Daughter, but got better.
Speaker 2: But break it down because it is it is younger actors, so you can obviously always break it down, right, sure, but this some of it was just not the best.
Speaker 1: At times, I'm trying to be nice because we are try I'm trying to remember that I'm this is going to sound odd. I try to watch these things as if I'm thirteen or fourteen, sure, because if you're watching it through the lens of a forty seven year old man, it's like, come on, it's ridiculu.
Speaker 3: So a lot of times I can't help myself.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of safety issues in this movie that I just really couldn't get pass.
Speaker 4: The safety is not even yeah, but the sonato And again we also do want to shout out to the late David Graff who passed away. He was so young. He was only fifty in two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: He played Brink's dad, and he was known to everybody from the eighties incredibly funny movies Police Academy as Officer Tackleberry and was so funny in those movies.
Speaker 2: But then the character that he ended up having to play was not obviously it's not my favorite.
Speaker 4: Oh the dad.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get into the synopsis of the film so everybody can follow along. Hopefully they have watched or will watch after this. But Andy, but after my review, they may not go watch.
Speaker 4: Everyone go up.
Speaker 1: Andy brink Brinker is the best inline skater at the beach. He and his fun loving crew, the Soul Skaters, have a fierce rivalry with the corporate sponsored X Blades, and they're bully of a captain. When a spot on X Blades opens up, brink Field's compelled to take it, hoping to financially help his family, but he knows it'll destroy friendships with his own team when the competition gets personal. After the ex Blades captain resorts to sabotage. Where will his loyalties lie? I'm also saying it properly X Blades where a number of characters in the film, including the guy who owns the team for two scenes, calls it X Blade.
Speaker 4: He doesn't even get the name of his own team right, He calls it, you got it.
Speaker 3: Sabrita sees that you caught something I did not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she just the whole time He's like, welcome, You're going to join X Blade I'm sitting wearing blades.
Speaker 4: It's X blades. It's in a giant says yeah, it's in a sign behind him.
Speaker 1: He's like, welcome to X Blade. I'm like, no, it's not. But did this bring you right back to being thirteen? I mean totally are able to just watch the movie like you were thirteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I was so giddy, like, here we go, here we go, so excited. Of course, heart Throb comes on, you know what I mean, Brink enters and he's just like zipping through the house.
Speaker 3: All the stuff meets up with everyone, the.
Speaker 2: Rollerblade scene, down to the beach area, you know, that whole thing.
Speaker 3: I was just so excited, and then probably.
Speaker 2: About ten to fifteen, I was kind of like, ah, like this is so much core here than what I remember. Still, there were parts that came up, like the finale to me, just the incredible talent that was out there, like those doubles and every like what they were doing, the tricks, the way they shot it.
Speaker 3: I was like, yes, like it ended on a good note for me that way.
Speaker 2: But yeah, at first it was kind of like, wow, this is like not as cool I remember being a little cooler. Okay, but I still really enjoyed it because I still know the storyline. I know where it's going. Okay, you know, was it hard for you to even make it to the end.
Speaker 1: No, the second time, it was because I watch these movies multiple times, right, yes, yeah, So I was so ready to love this movie.
Speaker 4: This is right in my wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: I grew up on rad BMX bandits, the North Shore, all of these kind of X games, type of inline skating, skateboarding, bmxing.
Speaker 4: That is my wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: And you give me the good team against the bad team with some kind of trick they have to nail at the end, and it's like a dance movie for me. I am in all the way hook line and sinker. So I was like, I'm going to love this film. And then I press play and right well, right off the bat, he comes down the stairs.
Speaker 4: He's doing everything fine.
Speaker 1: You get the typical the dads kind of a dick to him right away, So me like, hey, what do you run out of the house to go to school? It was a strange way to start the character right away. Then his friends are waiting for him at the bus stop.
Speaker 4: He's late.
Speaker 1: He's deciding to run to the bus stop by the way instead of rollerblading everywhere, which is what he should have done. So he's running to the bus stop. The bus drives by the three of them, and they're like, great, we.
Speaker 4: Missed the bus.
Speaker 1: The bus didn't stop, so how did they miss anything? They were not apparently, were just sitting on a bench. It wasn't the bus stop, so that made no sense.
Speaker 3: Well it didn't look in any way like a bus stop either though.
Speaker 4: But they're sitting there going he's late, We're gonna miss the bus.
Speaker 1: The bus drives by without pausing even briefly, and they're like, there it goes. Well, it didn't stop for you, dudes. You're at the wrong place. Then he comes and says, here's what we should do. We should skate to where we're going. But in the beginning they said they're going to Venice, but they're going to stop by the Santa Monica Peer, which is like seventy miles apart.
Speaker 2: It's not, but it's so it's very far though, it's very very far.
Speaker 1: But I was so prepared to love this movie, and I'm gonna throw out something. I don't even think this is the best roller blading movie. I think Airborne in nineteen ninety three was a better roller blading movie with Shane McDermott and it had Seth Green Jack Black was in it. That was a better roller blading movie than this.
Speaker 3: But that was like a big yeah film. Yeah, but I mean you can still, let's not what we're doing here. We are going to d coms.
Speaker 1: Like I know, but still it's you can pull out a good roller blading movie.
Speaker 4: For d com.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, well all right, I mean I see what you're saying. Really the bus Stop movie, I was like, gosh, why wuldn't they just get on them and text them, oh, that's right there and they.
Speaker 4: Get to the nineties, they can't just text them that they're.
Speaker 2: Late on and be like all right, I mean it's there, clearly you're late, dummy, We'll see you there.
Speaker 1: Like, well, that's a perfect perfect segue into how nineties this movie was.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean super nineties all the way around.
Speaker 2: The soundtrack was probably one of my favorite parts, and that's what I think.
Speaker 3: I really it was so good.
Speaker 2: There was so many times that the music came on and I was like, this is a good song for like, especially it being the third d COM for them to have such a great soundtrack was really awesome. There was one part though, during the finale where it's like a really slow melody and it was very depressing.
Speaker 1: It was depressing, but they're still doing tricks and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, and it was like, okay, I don't understand this.
Speaker 2: But other than that, there was one tiny little thing Other than that, the soundtrack is like if that was your that was like my style of music. I loved it. I was so in and just so excited and remembering.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree. The soundtrack was great. Now here's a question.
Speaker 4: This slang That's.
Speaker 1: What I was going to ask you, is because we're from different generations, I had to learn my cheeta chatter.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a fully made up situation, is not like anything real.
Speaker 3: People were saying part.
Speaker 4: Of my life, do not crunch my corn chips.
Speaker 1: So did you had you heard of bagging on people and beef and all this stuff back in the day.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that was like when I was like like ninety eight, was like junior high for me, So yeah, that was all bagging poser mad cool.
Speaker 4: Did you have beef with anybody in middle school?
Speaker 3: No? I was five foot. Well I didn't.
Speaker 4: You can still. I'm guessing Gabriella was five foot two. She had beef.
Speaker 2: No, you do not try to have beef in junior high when you're five foot can't do anything.
Speaker 3: Keep it chill, all right, you just try.
Speaker 2: To just get a with everyone. I don't even think it was five foot No, I was like fourten. Oh yeah, I was little.
Speaker 4: And could you Ariel already? Were you already Ariel?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh of course, already doing that?
Speaker 4: What about the clothes? The clothes, Okay, we're great.
Speaker 2: I wish I would like I don't have my my mom. I keep have my still make my mom have these like albums that I want to keep forever.
Speaker 3: She did an album of Junior High and.
Speaker 2: I wore scot like this, the pants that were high rise and just so baggy.
Speaker 3: They look like a big denim skirt, but it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It was two pairs of pants and like tiny and like the visors I wore Visor.
Speaker 3: This is so bad.
Speaker 1: That's all back, isn't it. I don't know much of fashion, but I think it's back, is it?
Speaker 2: I have not seen visors that ways, not that No, it's more No, No, it's not that the big pants, big skate shirt stuff is back though.
Speaker 4: Isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I thought.
Speaker 1: They were, uh, you know, Gabriel especially, I thought was pretty pretty hip root that thing.
Speaker 2: And definitely she was, you know, I mean she looks like she could. She would definitely be able to wear those outfits now here in twenty twenty four, for sure. However, it would still be on the Disney channel because she's wearing like two tank tops or a shirt and a top.
Speaker 3: She's wearing so.
Speaker 2: Many layers, and that's a little Disney just to make sure. It can't be a yetty strap. It's got to be a thick strap with a spaghetty strap over in order to look like this.
Speaker 3: But you know, you got to you gotta keep it, keep it, keep it.
Speaker 4: PG, not even PG. Keep a G essentially is what you gotta do.
Speaker 3: Conservative.
Speaker 4: Conservative, Okay, I mean that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So the hair was also fully nineties on brand middle parts all over the place.
Speaker 2: I have a question for you, you being my in house hair god. So I noticed this with them. I really don't remember this part of that time. Your hair in Boy Meets World and President's Daughter President's Daughter was similar er it was I would say a little bit more fluffier, okay, where he looks like he has some product in it. It almost looks like a greasier version. What is the difference?
Speaker 1: It's a good question, and it's because and then is it a style or also has like they both have the long kind of skater hair, but the different versions of the skater hair.
Speaker 3: He has the puffier version. I so fluffier.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Until I met Lorie Heaps, who's the woman who still does my hair, does Daniel's hair, did all of our hair on Boy Meets World from like the third season on, when my hair was long. She was the one who would do like the blowout and the product, so mine became more of the main until then it would just it just hung, okay. So I don't think I used any product whereas they. I mean, first of all, we can say whatever we want about Eric von Detton. Maybe not the the strongest performing we've seen of his going through the film, but his hair is magical. Yes, magical. That's what I wanted my hair to look like, but it never could. He just had that perfect hair.
Speaker 3: I disagree.
Speaker 2: I feel like you had great hair, but you're gonna keep I know, you're going to keep going against me on it.
Speaker 4: Maybe, but not to that that that was impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see, I prefer the cleaner look versus hit like that. I didn't love all the product, right.
Speaker 4: So like it looked like he kind of needed a shower because.
Speaker 2: It wasn't doing anything Like I don't mind product that like turns it into style, right, it was just product that was like I don't even I wasn't sure.
Speaker 3: That's why I was wondering what it was for it.
Speaker 1: Also, they never when they take off their helmets, the hair is still magical.
Speaker 4: Did you notice that?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's no helmet gotta be Disney. Disney does not allow helmet heads, right, or the.
Speaker 4: Matted hair from sweat as your rollerblading.
Speaker 1: Ever, you still pull it off and there's like a wind machine on you, right, Yes, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: Everyone still continues to have Beyonce moments like there's there's zero chance anyone's gonna go out there looking like a rag doll.
Speaker 3: Like everyone is gorgeous.
Speaker 1: So hasky, So before we break down a couple of the scenes, you mentioned something that I think we need to talk about, Okay, and again trying not to just bash bash bash.
Speaker 2: But well you can't because you can't bust my bubble over here for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, I'm not trying to ruin brink for anybody. I'm just pointing out some things that are a little uh strange. You mentioned the montage at the end with the music going. The montages in this film were odd, to say the least. For instance, he his dad says to him, I got you a job. Uh, and he's already now on the team. He's his friend. The soul Skaters don't know that he's he's switched to to team Blades.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Blades is making him work twice as hard because VAL's a dick. They his dad gets him a job and he has school. So it cuts right from him going all right, let's do this to what they seem to have you. Since is the first day he's had to do this, and by seven am he's exhausted.
Speaker 4: By noon, he's asleep at the lunch table. This right now, for the record, is just a normal day of school. So the montage, it's like, could we have established it a little that we're a week into this? Maybe? Right?
Speaker 1: It doesn't look like, well, here we go my first day ever Why can't I get out of bed at seven am when I normally get out of bed every day?
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, So, however, I can tell you right now, knowing so many high schoolers, you add one little thing extra to their skins, it is truly the.
Speaker 3: End gram they are done ski.
Speaker 1: But nothing was added and he was asleep at lunch the new stuff, didn't.
Speaker 3: I do so later in the day, I did.
Speaker 2: I feel like he could have worn Yeah, they could have made it seem like this was like multiple days in a row, like he's now it's just exhausting him, absolutely sure.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, there was a lot of montages at the very end, and I.
Speaker 1: Get why they had to do that because there's so many teams competing and you've got to show where people are placing. That's a that's a typical totally sports movie trope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know if maybe they added like that slower one to kind of break up the like speed and the height of it, like they you know, Like, I don't know, but I could have used another epic SKA song, right I was in I was like, yes, give me more, some kind of nineties and I was like, ah, what is this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, real big fish.
Speaker 1: Or some kind of SKA band coming in and doing something like that would have been awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I totally totally agree with what I.
Speaker 2: Was thinking though, like you know, some movie during these things, like, it's funny to me that they didn't try to pull like, all of a sudden, a random stage with a random band.
Speaker 4: A Disney band out of nowhere, a Disney band.
Speaker 2: I was kind of like knowing that because I know the movie, knowing it wasn't happening, but it's kind of like, ah.
Speaker 3: Like that kind of I kind of miss it, Like that's so funny.
Speaker 1: You know, that was discussed at some Disney level. They were like, how do we get a band? Maybe there's a band playing live when there's.
Speaker 4: You know, they tried to do that because of.
Speaker 3: The actualy they might have Yeah, maybe they couldn't find anyone, but.
Speaker 1: It was just it was so the montage was odd to me. But I will say this, one of the things they did. They were focusing on the trope that's in every one of these movies is the early epic battle that takes place between the good team and the bad team. And this starts his first day at school, so we are of course talking about the racing scene between Team Soul Skater I guess until they become their new name at the end they are Team Soul Skater I guess yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Team x Blades.
Speaker 1: There's beef like you do between the teams, and they decide to settle it the way that everything should be settled with a race through school. Now here's the odd part for me and again totally nitpicking, but rollerblading is not allowed at school, so they decide to use the entire school as a racetrack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay it During this time, there were signs all over every school no rollerblades, no skateboards.
Speaker 3: You weren't allowed to skateboard.
Speaker 2: You weren't even allowed to skateboard or rollerblade to school, like you get in trouble from a security guard at the front of the school, right. So, but it still happened, and it's because obviously, wait, this is.
Speaker 4: Your in your school. Yes, so you couldn't even skate there.
Speaker 2: No, no, they didn't even allow you to like skateboard there because obviously they know what would happen, you know, at during breaks and lunchtimes. Because the biggest reason is obviously that kids get hurt. But it also is very destructive to like campus like property. Sure, so this that struck that struck me so crazy too, Like you're kidding, so you're gonna do it during You're not even gonna do this after school, Like guys, come on, we're gonna do something like kind of crazy, like let's do it when there isn't a whole faculty on campus and.
Speaker 4: Not a teacher in sight.
Speaker 5: By the way, where were.
Speaker 2: The security guards that like walk around school they were aware in the lunch room.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I love that it's not allowed on school property and it wasn't allowed for you in real life on school property when the actual skateboarding craze in the seventies was created due to the way that high schools were built.
Speaker 3: Yes, but that happened on the weekends and after school.
Speaker 4: Yeah you'd have to but I guess that's true.
Speaker 1: But it's also the seventies, so it was like, yeah, kind of go do what you gotta do. But yes, they they say, look, it's not allowed on school property. We're going to get in trouble. And then he says, kind of are you a chicken? And so well, then not only do we have to have a race, right, now, but we've got to go through the hallways of our school with the entire school watching and hope we.
Speaker 4: Don't get caught.
Speaker 3: I had a you got me moment during this scene.
Speaker 2: What well, And they always crack me up because I'm just like, come on, Sabrina, get a little quicker. They're setting up this thing, so I'm excited, but I'm like, why are they Where are they taking these trash cans? What are they doing with it? That is so odd? And then they put them down and walk away like no one says anything about these, like random trash.
Speaker 4: Can in the middle of the hallway. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm also trying to figure out his like the guest star who's next to him.
Speaker 3: Like who are you? I know who you are, but I.
Speaker 2: Couldn't think that. I know we're going to cover in a minute. But the trash cans get put down. I have no idea why they didn't say anything about it. And then during the race, I was like, Oh, that's right, Okay, it's part of the course.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes sense. I didn't get that at all.
Speaker 2: And I've seen the movie probably fifteen to twenty times back in the day, and I literally was like, that is so weird and like no one's gonna mention anything about these random trash cans.
Speaker 3: They're just moving, that's it.
Speaker 1: Well, they thought it's just just recycling time before Yeah, like again, let's let's first everybody before we have this illegal race.
Speaker 4: Let's clean up. If everyone could just grab a piece of trash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put it in, because they feel like they pick them up before they even start talking about this race that they're about to have.
Speaker 4: He does, he does.
Speaker 1: He's as he's talking, and we we should at least very briefly talk about Val being a pretty good bad guy.
Speaker 3: Oh he was great.
Speaker 4: You know. It's one of those things where he shined a bit as as the bad guy. You hate him instantly, you continue to hate him. They make him cartoony, but you're supposed to do. It's a Disney Channel movie. Sure, so he's a good bad guy.
Speaker 2: I thought he was out of the cast, probably the best rollerblader as well. Like they were able to use a lot of him, yes, doing tricks where you saw his face he was in the air like you you know what I mean, Like not that the other actors didn't, but like he probably was a rollerblader.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought too.
Speaker 3: Yes, Bomb Rollerblader is on his resume.
Speaker 4: All dialects, Bomb Rollerblader, horseback Riding.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I don't mean to chime in, but I have to have a question for both you guys. It's Jensen, producer, husband of the podcast. I couldn't understand what times it was the actor and what times it was a stunt double. Did you I thought that it was mostly the actor, but it's not. It's definitely not the actors.
Speaker 3: No, that's what I was saying.
Speaker 5: Why were they so good at hiding the actor.
Speaker 4: Because you're spinning so fast.
Speaker 3: Maybe the hair was on point, but even Gabrielle, Gabrielle is stunt double. What I mean?
Speaker 2: It looked just like her, like she's like and again it being a female, awesome pro Rollerblader Like that was pretty impressive, I will say.
Speaker 1: And Disney Channel is certainly not cgi ing other people's faces on, especially in a d comm in ninety eight.
Speaker 5: No, not in bran No. I did watch with my son. I watched ET recently and there's a scene where they're like biking really fast away from away from the cops, and they put on helmets and they put on their hoods, and then there's just forty five year old men biking through thousand oaks, so like this didn't look like it, No, they want close ups on faces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing is I think they were actually good rollerbladers and would allow them to do some of the stunts, because there's even some of like the rail slides, and they look like they're the actors don't.
Speaker 2: Well, the there's definitely part of the initial scene down to Venice's Anamonica where they're going down a waterfall and it's steps steps, and you can see the actors doing that close up. So I don't know how hard it was, but they were definitely doing some of it.
Speaker 3: And then the like extreme ones is when it was farther back type of.
Speaker 4: Thing, so we've got to find out if it's actually But.
Speaker 5: Still even the close up, even the minimal tricks are not actorable, like they're no.
Speaker 2: No, Like listen, I had I had rollerblade on my resume at that time, I could not do what these actors were doing.
Speaker 3: I should have definitely not.
Speaker 5: Had believe we all had it, we all had it on our headshot resumes.
Speaker 4: Of course I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I could roller blade around like in a circle.
Speaker 4: Yea better than me, not like this.
Speaker 3: This was awesome.
Speaker 4: I don't know how they did it.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know what their training was, because they obviously I bet you they had some type of one to two week like intensive, don't you think.
Speaker 5: I don't think so. I think you're going to be shocked to find out that they had nothing to do with it and they're just really.
Speaker 3: They were just awesome.
Speaker 1: If they're yeah, because if they're under eighteen, which some of them had to be, Yeah, they're not gonna let them do their own stunts.
Speaker 4: There's no way.
Speaker 5: No. Also, one kid falls and he's out for weeks.
Speaker 1: Yep, right, so right, you know, Gabriella wipes out badly and she has to take four days off.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 5: Online it does say who that is. That's a female rollerblader that stepped in for her. But by the way, they're not like identical or anything. That this director who ends up becoming a pretty big wig in Hollywood eventually, But like that director just did a really good job.
Speaker 4: Great job. It was kind of seamless.
Speaker 1: There's I paused it a couple times where you could take you times, but.
Speaker 2: With how much rollerblading they do in this movie a few times is like very impressive.
Speaker 5: All right, well that's my contribution.
Speaker 4: Goodbyell, all right, thank you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: I have to ask, though, have you ever rollerblade? Where you like a rollerblader?
Speaker 4: That is two very different questions. Have I ever rollerbladed? Yes, I've strapped things to my feet that have wheels on them? Okay, am I a rollerblader?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: And the funniest thing was I have. This has now happened to me twice. So anything with wheels or skates, I can go straight very well. I can neither turn nor stop, which makes makes those things difficult. And I told the story on the on Podmets World where when I skated with Nancy Carrigan when I ice skated, Disney bought me these beautiful ice skates and I was kind of stumbling around on the ice with her and I looked at her, I said, are these good skates?
Speaker 4: And she said, way too good for you.
Speaker 1: And the same thing happened to me with the part so the Oxygen Company, which I think.
Speaker 3: Was wait, that wasn't a line.
Speaker 4: She literally she said it with a smile. She's a sweet person, but she was like, they're waiting, good for you.
Speaker 1: And then I was wearing so the so Oxygen was a brand that made these top of the line rollerblades, and they had given a pair to myself, to Ryder, I think, to Danielle because Riderstrong and daniel Fischel did an inline skating tutorial thing. So they gave me this pair of Oxygens and I put them on. And I was right outside my apartment in Burbank and these four or five kids that could have been out of brink, and I say it like that with the explanation point, dressed the same way, literally came skating up to me, skated around me. Man, those are so cool. He's got oxygens. And then one guy said if only he knew how to use them and took off down the street, and so I stumbled my way back in. So that is my entire rollerblading career right there, wrapped up. So the answer is, no, did you said you had you could do it though, at least in a circle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely I could.
Speaker 2: I could go I could not go to like a park and go down rails or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I could do a good amount.
Speaker 2: There was I danced a lot in the industry, and there was like a part where a time where there were like many of my friends that UH were on like roller blade dance teams that like would go and perform and stuff. I maybe did one or two of those, but I didn't really like it that much. Like it was kind of like, I don't love it, But a lot of my friends were really into it on that dancer level.
Speaker 3: I had a lot of a lot of friends into it. It was big. It was big. I mean I had friends that could do like backtups on their ya. They're crazy, you know what I mean. Like, like that's the.
Speaker 4: Other thing I want to say. And this is just me being in neophyte and having no idea about rollerblading.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem like there's a whole bunch of tricks. It seems like you go up and you spin around and you grab your feet. That's kind of it. Maybe you stick a leg out, you slide down something, maybe you do a flip. But on skateboards, you're flipping the board. You're doing that, you're flipping a bike around. On rollerblades, it seems like they're doing this same five tricks over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yes, I also feel like during the Winter Olympics, like watching like some of those sports that like I just don't know enough about it.
Speaker 3: It all looks so good to me, like it all looks amazing.
Speaker 4: Thing is I just don't know, right, I just don't know.
Speaker 3: But a lot of it looks very very similar, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And then you hear the like announcer that's like reviewing it, and it's like they're saying different words, and you're like, no, but he just did this.
Speaker 3: Oh he's not something. It's not the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: And there's no one to explain to you because my husband doesn't know anything either, So we just watch it because it looks amazing and it's the Olympics, so it's like different.
Speaker 1: We've gotten so off track because we were in the race. They're racing through high school. Yes, and then his friend wipes.
Speaker 3: Out, not not his friend, well, VAL's.
Speaker 1: Friend vows Frady not not brings friends, not a soul skater, but one of the team x Blades members wipes out in school where everything's been set up, like you were saying, they have.
Speaker 4: Tables to jump over, they have It's epic barbage. And of course it all has to be under the of day in the middle of school, so nobody sees them, and so he falls.
Speaker 1: And that's the actor who plays him. His name is Walter, and I know Walter. He was Oh you do, I do. He was a power ranger for years and years and years, and he and I studied. And when I say studied, he was amazing. I went for seven months. We studied under the same grand Master Hopkedo in Burbank together in the nineties. And he was an incredible athlete and martial artist. I mean flipping around the studio backflip while kicking all these amazing things.
Speaker 4: And then I hurt myself opening the door. But he and I met there, and then we just ran into each other at a convention six months ago, eight months ago, and he came up and said, hie to Wallas again.
Speaker 1: Super nice guy. But he was a power ranger and I thought he was great.
Speaker 3: Yes again.
Speaker 2: I had to stop after because I told you at first, starting when I looked at VAL's friend, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, who are you?
Speaker 2: I know you are, who are you? Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. Why can I like put it together? And then I went on like IMDb and figured out and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, you're the black.
Speaker 5: Color.
Speaker 3: Was he green?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: He was?
Speaker 4: No, he was. He was the Black Power Ranger, Yes, the black one. Yes, yes, because green was I think JDF Jason David Frank, I think was the green plat before he came the white Ranger. But yes, amazing, so cool.
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, we've I've bashed enough, and I think because I've bashed, I'll do the one star review, We're going to do our real reviews again. And our real reviews, as you know, are reviews taken right off the internet machine. We are not changing them or obfuscating in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 4: And so we do a one star review, one out of five, and we do a five star review.
Speaker 1: So I'll since I seem to be the one who can't get out of my own way when it comes to this this perfect rollerblading movie. Uh this is from Benjamin Grounds, who gave it one out of five stars, who said movie is a shallow metaphor for corporate greed that insults the viewers intelligence.
Speaker 4: That's I think going to I didn't get that.
Speaker 2: I don't even like I mean, I that is such a small portion of the storyline.
Speaker 1: I get the sentiment of the I get the sentiment, though, like, how does how does no one, including his father, How does nobody say to this kid, this is something you love and you found a way to make money doing it, that's the goal. Then you're never going you never go to work a day in your life. You found something you love that you can make money at. Good for you. Nope, never mentioned it was the worst thing in the world to be able to do what you love. The group even that, right, the soul Skaters. I don't get it, Okay, why don't you do the five out of it?
Speaker 2: Get the idea of wanting to have the heart, but like it just to me, it was like that started to bother me the second time I was watching it. The first time, I totally enjoyed it, but then when I was like trying to break it down a little bit more, I was like, this message is kind of wonky to me, Like the general mass thank you, Okay, Well, I'm gonna get to do the five out of five Stars by Justin Tan Literally the best movie I have ever seen in my life, one of the most important and influential movies. I saw it when I was seven. My favorite part of this quote and now I go to Harvard.
Speaker 4: Oh, I wonder if he's on the Harvard inline skate team.
Speaker 2: It's like, and now I go to Harvard, So I'm correct, I am right?
Speaker 4: Oh I love that. Yeah. The family situation though for Brink so great reviews. Sorry, I couldn't get past this because the family situation. He's got a dad who is a very negative guy.
Speaker 1: And they come up and it's not a bad way to go with it because they say, this guy's on disability and so he's obviously hurt himself on the job. He doesn't feel like maybe he's supporting his family the way he should be. So not a bad way to come into the like a bad character way to come into it, though it was very, very negative. Always seems to be pointed to his son, always talking about how his daughter is the real kid and see she's normal, and what's wrong with him and just bashing this poor kid who just overhears that his family needs money and so wants to do something. Hey, I'm good at this.
Speaker 2: I can go and goes against all of his life built in morals like he is such a good friend.
Speaker 3: This guy is like so nice.
Speaker 4: He gave up his life, such a sweetheart. Yeah, he gave up.
Speaker 1: His life and his friends to help his for two hundred dollars a week. Which I did a little bit of research. The minimum wage at the time was five dollars and fifteen cents, So if this kid even just worked three or four hours after school every day, he would have been making one hundred and seventy dollars a week. Anyway, So I think that I think Team ex Blades should have it should have been a little bit more money that he turned against all his friends for than two hundred dollars a week in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Then we come to the mom's fine, she's the mom. She did several episodes of mash so she's okay in my book.
Speaker 4: Then we come to the little sister. What did you think of a little sister?
Speaker 2: Well, I recognized her. She auditioned a lot during the time I saw her at like a ton of auditions. She was a working like, she was in tons of commercials. I feel like she had this like she had one of those like remember when Welch's Grape Juice used to have just really big national commercials.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course she.
Speaker 2: I think she had one of those, so I recognized her right away. Again, I already knew she was in it, but I was like, oh, I remember, but she was such a meat little sister. And I again, and it goes back to like you've got like such a nice big brother, like who doesn't seem to torment you like most big brothers with that age gap, I'm sure would, and you're such a brat, it's like zero confidence, like even like, but she's like kind of witty. I did like how she was like you came home with a bag full of stuff that you didn't leave with, like what's in the bag?
Speaker 3: You know? Like she kind of you could tell she was like on it fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he says, donya nonya business he does none? Ye?
Speaker 4: Yeah, who's worse this little sister or the little sister in my date with.
Speaker 2: The President's daughter, My date with the President's daughter. I agree, I agree, But this one is she this one's wittier. But this one even at the end, skate better.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, only can you say that if she's gonna hop on that ramp and do something awesome?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Oh the hug the hug at the end between him and his little sister is one of the funniest things. Go back and watch.
Speaker 1: He picks her up for a nanosecond, hugs with quote unquote, and drops her like she's on fire.
Speaker 4: It's the fun it's the funniest thing. It's like, I get my sister, eh out.
Speaker 2: I never noticed that until this luck that I was like ooh, Like it made me go ooh, was there some drama on set?
Speaker 3: Like what was that about that? He was like, bye, he just picked her, touch her for anything.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it was so funny.
Speaker 2: It was I loved that part actually, just because it was like amazing and you're already going this like little sister is just no.
Speaker 4: It seems to be a Disney trope.
Speaker 1: The brother who's nice, the little sister who is favored by the parents and not a great little sister.
Speaker 4: It just seems to be a Disney thing.
Speaker 1: We've now were three movies in We've seen this in two of the three movies already, so.
Speaker 2: Well even honestly, that was something we didn't really cover in The Cheetah Girls, Like the chew cheese little brother is like so unnecessary. It's almost like they put these little siblings in just so that they're not an only child, right.
Speaker 1: Doe's foster sister was cool. She was cool, she was one they did it right. She was just nice.
Speaker 3: She was so sweet. She was just the sweetest little little bugaboo. I loved her so sweet.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think we should jump to three point five facts. What are the three and a half.
Speaker 4: Facts we have for this movie today, Sabrina?
Speaker 2: Oh, I love this all right. So we mentioned the music in the movie, but the punk band Suicide Machines appears on the soundtrack, which is not only more cool and aggressive music than usually heard on the Disney channel, but also a name you have to imagine would be censored.
Speaker 4: Now, Yeah, I would have to be right.
Speaker 3: I would assume that.
Speaker 1: I don't think Disney would even allow that name on their soundtrack. I mean, whether they'd allow the band or not. As a different conversation, but I don't think they'd allow the name anymore.
Speaker 3: They snuck that in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got a good one that I'd like to kind of supplement the next one with, if that's all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the director, Greg Beeman, because I'm such a nerd I love this stuff, went on to become an executive producer and creator of Smallville. Ooh, which is I love that, I mean anything with my friend Michael Rosebaum, so uh yeah, I love that. He was big in the nerd community too, which is not just the dcom community, but the nerd community.
Speaker 4: Shout out to my nerd friends, creator of Smallville. That's huge.
Speaker 2: Another one is though, set in LA with shots of Venice Beach, Santa Monica, and a skate park in seem Valley.
Speaker 3: The movie was also filmed in Kirkland, Washington.
Speaker 4: It was pretty I mean about this movie.
Speaker 1: But the everything you got to see with the ocean in the background, and even the skate parks were eclectic and looked cool.
Speaker 4: It was a pretty movie.
Speaker 2: And you but I mean, you could tell that that amount of filming outside there was a lot of voiceover. Oh and then and then the ocean put back in. Yeah, because that had to have been so tough.
Speaker 4: Let's add a moor to this film. How do we do that? I'm ready go please?
Speaker 3: I think Amori.
Speaker 2: It would be both of them, Tea and Tamara would give both of them at the same time, and they would be heading like a professional. I'm I'm not sure what age they would have been in ninety eight, like but like they would be actually like the heads of a professional women only blade team that was like Gabriella's like dream team to be a part of. And she gets like accepted to like train with them or something like.
Speaker 3: They were like the like women powered. The two of them were.
Speaker 2: Like the heads of that that would be, and they like they're at the end. It's just like a small part at the very end.
Speaker 4: That's great though, because this movie was lacking on female characters so much, so much. The female character they had was awesome, but still seriously like she.
Speaker 3: Held her own. But this would have been like a nice button.
Speaker 1: I would have had a tea in Tamara as well. But one of them would have been in the film and the other would have been the skate double. So one would have to go off and figure out how to actually skate so.
Speaker 4: You could look. One would just it wouldn't matter what you want. So one of them is actually in the film, the other.
Speaker 1: Has to become a professional skater somehow become that. I want to ask you something because this and then we got to get into Sabrina Seas because I can't wait to see what you saw, which I didn't, which I'm sure is a lot.
Speaker 4: But I want to ask you one thing. Do you think this film would have benefited from some even inclination of a love story.
Speaker 3: I knew you were going to say that.
Speaker 4: I'm just curious you do.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was another thing that I don't I don't remember there not being anything.
Speaker 3: And even when.
Speaker 2: I rewatched it, I was like, oh, was there something between Gabriella.
Speaker 1: And Uh and Pete the friend? And yes, I thought the same thing.
Speaker 2: You know how they like they she gives him her shoes, Like, yeah, I'm wondering was there some type of scene or something that maybe hit the hit the floor later on the cutting room floor, because it definitely was built up.
Speaker 1: How do you not have a crush on her? How does every guy in this film not have a crush? Yeah, in Gabrielle, I don't think it was.
Speaker 3: It would have been necessary for Gabriella and Brink. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Not Brink.
Speaker 1: He's got too much going on, He's he's asleep by noon at school. He couldn't also add a girlfriend. We get to that list, and she.
Speaker 2: Like gave it to him when he came and visited her. I mean, she really let.
Speaker 3: Him have it.
Speaker 4: It's a great scene too.
Speaker 3: We all need money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was you don't care that your best friend's family is suffering. You don't care because you all need money. Okay, all right, Gabrielle, we.
Speaker 4: Didn't even get into that. I know it was. That's the sole skating thing. I get it. But yes, I think a hint I did too. A romance would have been a nice thing, a handhold, something like that.
Speaker 3: I'm like a brom com at it me.
Speaker 4: Too, And I think you're one hundred percent right.
Speaker 1: I think it's Gabriella and Pete that have a little thing and because they would be closer together when Brink left the team, right, love that. And actually I wasn't the only one that thought that maybe there should be some sort of a romantic connection in this movie. Really, yes, no, this movie and again talking about back in the day, this movie was one of the I would say first where there was really a ton of fanfic based around different possibilities of romantic connections.
Speaker 4: In the movie.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I don't know when fan fiction really started, but the Internet was in its infancy in nineteen ninety eight. In the early two thousand so if this had a big fanfic community, this would be one of the first movies.
Speaker 4: That really drew that in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, can we do Sabrina Seas?
Speaker 4: What did you see that I obviously did not? All?
Speaker 2: Right, well, you saw a lot, I was. I mean, I was so excited that you saw. So I'm glad I didn't choose those to talk about because one thing that.
Speaker 3: It kind of irritated me for a while.
Speaker 2: Was that after this whole skate competition that happens during school, which we already talked about, was just absolute nonsense.
Speaker 3: It's so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: They all get suspended, all of them, and within like what an hour later, they meet back up. Like not one of them got grounded. I mean, he was right, not one of them got grounded. They were all hanging out. They talk about their parents being upset, but yet they're all hanging out in the same wardrobe, like they're all it's the same day.
Speaker 4: Right, good call nobody. There's no repercussions for getting kicked out of school. I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 2: No, Like that was so straight, Like one of them should have been missing practice or something, at least one.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, Yeah, I'm not allowed to skate today.
Speaker 2: It really irritated me, like for a while because they kept that scene going and it was like, you know, and then the next one was, did you notice that like every kid's room, every set was like decor was vomited on every wall, Like there was not one inch of the background. Like I'm even like kind of going, what's going on in the background of my house right now?
Speaker 3: Like is this too much?
Speaker 2: Because every there was like the the home economics room was where I really noticed it at first, was there was like this like pinata kind of stuff, and there was a cat on the wall, and there was this and that, and like the background was so insane.
Speaker 3: Then you get to Brink's room. Brink's room was ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was not to I agree with you, too caffeinated? Is that what it was?
Speaker 2: Just like throw it, throw throat, we need, we need, pops of color, we need.
Speaker 3: It was just so much. It was distracting for me in a lot of the scenes.
Speaker 4: I also took home mech.
Speaker 1: I took home Meck and you while you can get a little messy, you don't come out covered in flowers.
Speaker 3: No, because you have to go to school. You have to go to the rest of your classes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they really, they really went a little far with that powder. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also didn't get why all of a sudden he when he joined Team Blades he had to hide his roller blades And who's going to know, who's gonna notice? Is his family going to come in and go? You didn't have this shirt? Did you join another roller blade?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 2: A small questionable of him wearing his sunglasses that was not gonna transform you into.
Speaker 4: Looking for I didn't recognize him. I didn't. I was like, wait, is that brink? He's got some glasses on. I didn't notice that.
Speaker 3: So there was there.
Speaker 2: I will say there wasn't a lot of like super obvious crazy things, No, but there were.
Speaker 4: There were little little things.
Speaker 3: Wait a mine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's rate it. Well, how should we rate this one? Should we rate this one in? What should it be? One to ten?
Speaker 4: Five forties roller blades?
Speaker 3: Helmets? Helmets that are unfastened?
Speaker 1: Okay, so how many one to ten unfastened helmets? I think that's the best way to do it. What do you give this movie?
Speaker 2: I'm still sticking with an eight?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, okay, yes, your gear eight unfastened helmets because this is such a nostalgia thing for you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, okay, there were obviously things that drove me crazy, that were just kind of picky. I was able to pick a part very easily. However, I know how much I loved it, and I could see all of those reasons while we watched it, and I think that is worth giving it a solid eight, not even.
Speaker 3: A shaky, a solid eight. I have to say, I'm bracing.
Speaker 1: I'm trying. I'm trying to watch as I'm thirty like i'm thirteen. It's tough for me. This was I thought the acting was not as good as the other two films we've seen. I thought some of the script issues were I'm going to give this a five.
Speaker 4: I'm going to give this a five out of ten.
Speaker 2: I was thinking you were going to go like as low as a three and no, no, no, truly.
Speaker 5: Have a no.
Speaker 1: I would not do that because, and again here's what saved it for me. Gabriella was was awesome in this movie. The soundtrack was great, the movie was very very pretty, those three things, and the skating was really The skating was really great, even though it seemed like they were just doing the same four moves over and over.
Speaker 3: The talent of the skating was awesome.
Speaker 1: That again is just me not knowing skating, That's all that is, because I will guarantee you they were doing stuff that I didn't notice. And oh and the other thing that the director obviously knew how to shoot this in a way where you really couldn't tell the stunt doubles from the actors at the same time. So those those very positive things make this a five for me.
Speaker 2: And to show off the tricks, the angles that show like, show off the trick. It looked like a back in the day's skate video. It did like those those montage they did. It didn't look like to theatrical They looked like a skate video, which is rare.
Speaker 1: And he's a big, a big camera spinner. The director like to do the the Quentin Tarantino camera circle. There are several scenes where the cameras just going around, but those are yeah, so I'm gonna give it. I'm gonna give a solid five unfastened safety helmets.
Speaker 4: Okay, well that's it. That's that's bring with an exot that was so fun. I hope we didn't crush anybody's spirits out there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know you didn't have as much fun as I did, but.
Speaker 4: Fun it just wasn't great. Okay, that's what I would say.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 4: I know you did.
Speaker 1: I know, and I know for an entire generation are our producer Tara essentially said to me the other day, if you if you destroy this movie, I'm gonna come find you.
Speaker 4: These are for for especially a certain age, this movie was hugely important to people, and so nostalgia factor off the charts ten out of ten.
Speaker 1: Nostalgia actual film probably a five for me. But where we're getting through them and the next movie, the next movie we're gonna do is big. We are coming out firing on all cylinders.
Speaker 3: This one's a powerhouse.
Speaker 4: A powerhouse, Yes, it really is. So strike up Disney plus again.
Speaker 3: So this is my first time seeing it.
Speaker 4: I haven't either, I haven't even and.
Speaker 2: I you know, because it's past my time of Even while I was a part of the Channel, right, I kept up with a lot of stuff while I was really a part of the Channel. This is you know, this was towards the end of it if even while I was there, huge director Kenny Ortega and huge actors in it, So I'm excited.
Speaker 4: I am too.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are mega fans out there.
Speaker 1: Talk about something that has taken dcoms to an entirely new level. Go to Disney Plus because we're going to be watching twenty fifteen's phenomenon The Descendants. We are going to get rotten to the core. I cannot wait.
Speaker 3: Rotten to the core and flipping some hairwigs.
Speaker 1: I really cannot wait for deduction value amazing.
Speaker 3: Big, epic music driven.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, is this is to send it to musical?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Oh geez, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Anytime I say Kenny or Tega musical okay, music and dancing okay.
Speaker 3: He was like Michael Jackson's main choreographer.
Speaker 1: Yes, join us and remember to subscribe to our feed. You can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. We will see you next time. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Have a bomb day.
Speaker 4: Bye,