Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 1: Were on with Ambar Garcia. Brian brought us Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Friday, July twenty sixth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number ten.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the latest edition of The Break.
Speaker 6: We are presented by LGLG is the world's number one o leed TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot com Ford slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, crew, I got my crew here.
Speaker 6: Brian brought us Ambergaria and the newest member of our show, mister Nick Harris. And great opportunity to have Nick introduce themselves. For folks that don't know obviously, you've been working with Dallas Cowboys dot Com for quite a while now. But for those that may not be familiar with your work, tell them a little bit about what you do here and what you were doing before you got here.
Speaker 4: Just so people know your background.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll start with the context. I came here from the college football recruiting world. I worked in that space for about four to five years, working with Rivals twenty four to seven Sports, so reporting on a ton of college kids recruitments, and so that was my big thing. So whenever you see a kid that gets drafted on draft night, in the first round and he's a two star, you can come to me and be like, hey, you're dumb. So I I was the guy that was putting the stars on the kids for the kids in the region Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, surrounding states. And then I had this wonderful opportunity to come to come work for Dallas Cowboys dot com. My first day on the site was the first day of the draft in twenty twenty three, and yeah, it's been it's been a lot of fun since then. Last season was my first full season and now my first full season with you guys.
Speaker 7: Come on, now, let's let's have some fun.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you what a trusted source and now a veteran of the draft show. Yeah, really, really, I'm really excited about getting to work with you here, to work with everybody once again. But your knowledge of the draft and how you helped us those three nights was incredible, So, you know, thanks for all your hard work.
Speaker 9: I appreciate him, man, but we got to keep him ground that he's still a rookie on this show, so we gotta keep you know, your feet on the ground. You can't get to your head up there too big. But yes, he's done. You did a great job on the draft, very impressive work. So regardless of being a rookie here, we're happy to.
Speaker 10: Have you once again. What's your food order for? They got to get their wings.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were talking about hazing pre show, so like, yeah, y'all find something for me to do.
Speaker 7: I don't mind, you know, I'll take the rookie bait.
Speaker 6: Well, for those that don't that didn't watch Talking Cowboys, Nick was on Talking Cowboys last year and had one of the best episodes maybe we've ever had across any of our podcasts when he decided he was going to eat something.
Speaker 4: I don't even what was it. It was something that was hot.
Speaker 3: Yes, I met Isaiah Standbeck and I made a bet that I unfortunately lost it, and I he had he got to pick whatever hot sauce that he could find that was the hottest and have me eat it live on the show.
Speaker 7: And Uh, what people might not know about.
Speaker 3: That too is I was battling a lot of sinus at a congestion that week and everything, so I was more worried about, like my insides just emptying on camera. So I just completely forgot about the heat. It actually kind of psyched myself out and it worked out for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 6: That was one of the That was one of the funniest segments I've ever seen in Brian being on the fan. Yeah, you're no stranger to eating bad stuff. Just no, We're not going to do that on this show. I'm never going in on that. I'm not in on that.
Speaker 10: And I was wondering about that.
Speaker 8: We actually I did the hot Ones Challenge if you've seen it, Oh yeah, tox and stuff like that, and so instead I just skipped all the way to we would did eight, nine and ten Zach Wolchuck again, another Draft show vetteran. We just went ahead and did and found out that number nine of the Hot Ones Challenge is actually hotter than ten. So we did we took little bits of steak and kind of rubbed it around, and you talk about opening up. But yeah, if if you're if you're not used to doing things with heat, that could be a little a daunting task.
Speaker 6: I could do heat, it's all the other stuff start the other kind of stuff that I can't do it all.
Speaker 10: Right, here we go.
Speaker 4: Let's let's talk a little bit of training camp.
Speaker 6: This is day two, I guess, is what we'll call it, because day one yesterday was the first practice. We had the opening press conference yesterday, which is a little bit of a departure.
Speaker 4: Typically we do that the first day we get out here.
Speaker 6: But had some time with Jerry and Steven and a little bit of Mike McCarthy. I don't know, he didn't talk a lot during that press conference. But I want to go around here, give you guys each an opportunity just talk about one thing that stood out to you from the press conference that you think is worth noting.
Speaker 4: Let's talk with you Brian.
Speaker 8: Well, when I when I think about the press conference aspect, you know, Jerry and Steven, Mike they try to explain, you know, it's kind of a state of the Union thing, and there were a lot of questions about the contracts and things like that, and so you kind of you kind of trying and work your way through that and then but when then you get to the practice part, which we're all out here for, that's the most enjoyable thing to me. You know what said at press conferences, you can learn and gain things and understand a little bit better. But to me, when we have the practices and I just want to say what I saw just the first day of practice.
Speaker 10: We've talked about.
Speaker 8: Tolbert and Brooks, the second wide receiver, third wide receivers. I thought the wide receivers got off to a really good start yesterday with no CD Lamb on the practice field, but the competition at least day one, you know, the mental toughness, the ability to fight through things in day one of practice, you know, I.
Speaker 10: Thought with Tolbert and Brooks, both.
Speaker 8: Those guys coming back to the ball, both guys making quality of receptions, both guys running routes, I thought that that was a really good start. A lot of questions about Ceede Lamb not being out here, but the two receivers that were did a really nice job yesterday.
Speaker 9: Well, going back to what was talked about during the press conference, and you mentioned Cey Lamb and the whole conversation with the contracts and everything that's happening there. You know, maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I thought it was interesting to hear the different responses. Obviously very different situations versus City Lamb's contract and DACS. Sorry, City, He's still on that rookie contract, so it's different.
Speaker 4: I believe.
Speaker 9: My understanding is they could potentially even waive the fines or take care of the fines. It's different than Dak that would have to be the one pain and coming out of.
Speaker 4: His own neworking if he was missing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's my point. He's he's been present all throughout the off season. He's been here since day one. He's shown up to everything that he has to show up for. But what I found interesting was some of the responses that I heard from Jerry Jones and even Dak when he spoke to the media as far as like where their situation is right now, that it could really go either way, Like they both want to stay together, Dyke wants to be here, they want to have Diyk as their quarterback, but at the same time they understand this is a business and it seems like they would both be in it could be potentially in a spot where they just part ways. Dyke looks for money and what he wants somewhere else. And then the Cowboys, Jerry Jones talked about how there are so many times in his life with the team where he would want something but they simply don't have the money. And this is a cap situation here. So just very curious to see how far or what's going to happen in the end of it, because right now when people ask me, Hey, what's really gonna happen, I really don't know. It could literally both go either way.
Speaker 4: And I want to clarify something real quick.
Speaker 6: You mentioned that Jerry said that about not having the money for and I saw some fans kind of being like.
Speaker 4: Wha wait, he's a billionaire.
Speaker 6: The thing you have to remember is when Jerry said something like that in the context of the Cowboys, it's not necessary about how much money he has in the bank. It's about the salary capras, Yeah, exactly, It's about.
Speaker 4: The salary cap.
Speaker 6: And so the NFL has structure in place to make sure teams have to stick within that salary cap and That's where it becomes a situation where you may want something, but there are always going to be salary cap ramifications that will to some degree, now there are ways to work around some things, but there's still gonna be some ramifications of the salary cap that you're gonna have to adhere to.
Speaker 9: Well, he said it before too, like, hey, if I could give my own money and put it on here, he would in a heartbeat, like just pay out of his own pocket. But obviously the NFL doesn't.
Speaker 8: Work, know what I and I think this and I'm looking forward to and hopefully we have Jerry Jones on one O five to three the Fan and get a chance to interview him.
Speaker 10: The question I want to ask is.
Speaker 8: If he had to go back in history, would he want to push for the salary cap the way he did?
Speaker 10: You know, he's an organized He.
Speaker 8: At the time was you know, thinking about the balance, the competitive balance of the league. And you look at him knowing the TV contracts, him knowing the salary cap. You know, he was one of the big proponents of that, of pushing for that and to try and help the Green Bays, the Cincinnatis, the team that might not have the spending power that the COB was trying to make everything more competitive, and so I wonder, now it's kind of something he pushed really hard for, which we loved the National Football League for that, for the competitor.
Speaker 10: The competitive balance.
Speaker 8: But I wondered, deep down inside, if there's a time it's like you know, like in Major League Baseball where you could just outspend somebody, Jerry Jones was kind of like push for something that's now a little bit something that's maybe hamstringing him a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you would think you and maybe have the foresight there understanding where his financial situation where it was at that time, what was that ninety six, ninety seven whatever salary caps started to get instituted, So you would think that he would have to understand the ramifications of potentially having that.
Speaker 7: But that is an interesting question.
Speaker 6: But when it's you would think that that also is why you would think he did it for the sake of the league.
Speaker 10: He didn't know, he wasn't.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's there's things that Jerry Jones has made these other owners billionaires, you know, they they like the.
Speaker 10: Brown family, the profit.
Speaker 8: Everybody that everybody that's involved in the National Football League. They were thinking about, oh, let's keep you know, NFL properties and let's do this, and Jerry's like, no, let's go out and see what we can sign deals American Express, Nike, things like that to generate money. Jerry's shown these other owners how to operate business. But he also was fair about the whole thing. With the salary cap, he could have completely outspent. You know, we looked unfortunately the Texas Rangers win the World Series last year, but then you look at the teams the Los Angeles Dodgers, the teams that have high dollar you know, high thresholds of being able to spend money, and sometimes it's not fair. But Jerry said, listen, I want to give Green Bay Cincinnati those opportunities to compete on the same level as the high dollar teams.
Speaker 7: Yeah. To your point about Deck's potential number and what.
Speaker 10: I think they're comfortable. I think both spots sides are comfortable.
Speaker 7: With what that number will be.
Speaker 8: No, maybe not with the number is, but that there could be a parting of the ways here.
Speaker 7: I see what you're thinking. Yeah, yeah, I understand.
Speaker 3: I told somebody yesterday this was before the press are Actually I was about seventy percent sure that I think Dak would be a cowboy in twenty twenty five. I think after yesterday, with that press availability and Dak talking as well, maybe that came down to like sixty five.
Speaker 10: So I it did drop though in your mind.
Speaker 3: It did drop, not significantly, but there was some There was some things said that make you kind of think about some things. But I think for me that the the two things that really stood out for me yesterday and the entire availabilities one Jerry Jones had mentioned, Hey, whenever we look at these three contracts talking about Ceedee Lamb, Michael Parsons, Dak Prescott, CD, and Micah, they can they can keep those guys and extend those out with franchise tags for three more seasons if they wanted to. Now, obviously there would be a lot that goes in and gets involved with that. I mean, CD's already holding out and we're in year one of that potential a potential layout. Dak Prescott is a free agent next next offseason regardless, right, So, and Jerry mentioned that, and it makes me, it made me wonder, you know, we've been kind of been under the impression for the last two to three months as CD did not show up for rotas as he did not show up for Many Camp, that the order is going to be CD, Dak Micah right kind of makes you wonder if it even could be Dak CD Micah because they still need Dak's number to understand what they're gonna work with with CD and Micah. I mean, at the end of the day, that's gonna be their biggest price tag, Like do you go and buy the house before you go and buy the car, or do you go and buy the furniture before you go and buy it?
Speaker 7: Like you you have to figure out.
Speaker 3: What you're gonna get your get your get your ducks in a row. And I think with that, Dak makes the most sense to get done first. But I don't know, this is gonna be a weird time. It's gonna be a really weird time. I think being here at training camp gives these two sides an opportunity to sit down a little bit more often.
Speaker 7: We saw it last year with Trayvon Diggs, Malie Cooker.
Speaker 3: Terrence Steele. All of those deals were able to get done around this time. So you know what kind of happens this time around? And then you worry about the next wave. And that was the second thing that kind of stood out to me, is, you know, we're talking so much about these big three whenever those are done. They were talking about DeMarcus Lawrence, Zach Martin if he decides to come back.
Speaker 7: Oh so, Diggyezua. You know, Deron Bland is coming around the corner too, that's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be a big contract. Smith Smith's coming up, Eyler Smith, Jake Ferguson, I mean, it never ends. Brandon Aubrey, I mean, we could throw him, but that's.
Speaker 4: That's the beauty of how well.
Speaker 8: They've draft drafted right, and and and to me, they've they've they've been a little bit unfortunate that the contracts haven't staggered. You know, they've all seemed to come at the same time. So that's a little bit of something they're working with this as well.
Speaker 6: What's forgotten is they've already paid Trayvon Diggs. So it's like that's another one that was just like a great draft pick. You got him in the second round. He turned out to be one of the better cornerbacks in the league. So I think I'll also throw this out. And as you guys were talking about what happened yesterday and kind of what we saw. One thing that was interesting to me, and I would be interested to see if you guys saw the same thing. But Dak has always been someone I thought handled himself really well with the media. Yesterday he felt it felt to me like he was even more I guess comfortable in his skin is how I would probably put it. He just felt very, very relaxed and very comfortable, and some of the things he was saying I think kind of made me think that even more. I think becoming a father, I know, sometimes it has a way of kind of clarifying life for you when you reach.
Speaker 4: That point, that stage of life.
Speaker 6: But I just think in general, he was talking about the business of the NFL, and I think he's really resigned to the fact of we'll just see where this goes, and I'm gonna play this year the very best I can play it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna give my very best.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna keep trying to improve every single day, but I'm comfortable that whatever happens, I'm good with it, and I can move on and have a great rest of my career.
Speaker 4: In whatever way that that shows itself.
Speaker 8: Well, he's seeing quarterbacks around the league that he's better in than getting paid. You know, he sees there's going to be opportunities for him.
Speaker 9: He mentioned a couple of quarterbacks.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean all of a sudden, if you know, down in Jacksonville with Trevor Lawrence and guys like that, all of a sudden getting paid, you know, you got to feel like, Okay, play the game. Who would you rather have Trevor Lawrence or Dak Prescott? You know, And I think a lot of teams would say, we'll give me, give me Dak Prescott right now as my guys. So I think he has to be comfortable with that feeling and knowing that Todd France has done an incredible job of work. He's got Dak back to the table really quick. Yeah, you know, and I kind of feel like if they did a deal done here, it might be getting back to the table quick again. You know, they've they've played this this very very well. But I also want to say this though, I kind of feel like if I was Steven Jones, I would say this to Dak Prescott. I would say, listen, you're gonna win this negotiation with us. How bad do you want to win?
Speaker 10: It.
Speaker 8: How bad do you want to And I don't know if it's possible, but I would have brought him in or have the opportunity they've Stephen even Steven Jones even talked about he's had communications with Dak. I would have thought about bringing him in and pointing out, like, listen, if you take sixty from us, this is what we're gonna look like. Just show him a presentation of what the team potentially can look like and kind of.
Speaker 10: Work down from that.
Speaker 8: But you're gonna tell him, hey, you're going to win this negotiations because we have no leverage on you. The only leverage we have is you want to potentially be here. That's the only leverage they have. So to me, I would walk him through what this team could look like at certain levels of this contract. If you want to give us a break, we might be a little bit better in the long run. He doesn't owe them anything, you know. It was Tank Lorence had said, Hey, that's not my problem, that's their problem. But at this point in time, you really want to try and partner with Dak here and say, Okay, you're gonna win this, but at what level do you want to really win this? You know, And I think that's something that you know, that maybe could open Dak's eyes a little bit to the situation that they're in.
Speaker 7: But I also think to that same point, he's gonna win wherever he goes.
Speaker 8: Sure, but if he wants to be here, I think you walk him through what that spreadsheet is gonna look like. Yeah, yeah, okay, we're gonna we're not gonna be able to You don't want to be throwing to guys like me out there, you know, you want to be throwing to Ceedee Lamb and and potentially.
Speaker 10: Whether it's Brooks or Tolbert or something you know.
Speaker 8: Or somebody we can go out and get, you know, I think, or Jake Ferguson for that matter. You know, do you you want to be throwing two others or do you want to throw to Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 10: Yet, that's how you got to kind of look at this.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: What was interesting for me one of the statements that Dak made We're going to take a break here in just a second. But one of the statements that Dak made that I think could complicate that that you were just mentioning, is he said at one point he said I feel like I have a responsibility to the other quarterbacks in the NFL and to other players in this locker room. And what that said to me is this contract is just as much about him getting paid as it is in setting the market for the guys that come after him, Right, And that's one of the things that you have to remember when you're talking about a salary cap. Every player should feel like, if they're thinking about it from a global standpoint, the higher they can push the number, that helps the next person behind them push the numbers even higher.
Speaker 4: That creates more opportunity for people.
Speaker 6: So if he's thinking about it like that, then on the one hand, he could be looking at it like you say, where there's an opportunity to maybe help the team out a little bit. But on the other side, he's like, you know, I have a responsibility to these other quarterbacks, and the more I can push that number, then the next quarterback that gets signed after me can push it even higher, and we all help one another to be able to raise that bar.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 8: What happened though, too If you look at the NFL draft and Sam Bradford was the last one. Remember, these quarterbacks got massive contracts without even playing it down and what did the league do about it? No slotting here we go. So, yeah, responsibility to the others, but also how about a responsibility to your team, you know? And that's that to me is I go back and look at to Tom Brady, you know, and Tom Brady was married to a lady who was a fifty million dollar year model, you know. So it's a little bit easier to do that when you have some security like that. But to me, I think you also Patrick mahomes Here's Patrick Mahomess won a couple of Super Bowls contract was a little bit responsible for trying to help the team along as well. So again it's just how much yeah, responsibility to other players, but how much of a responsibility to making sure that your team is the best around.
Speaker 9: Also, what Derek said about becoming a father, I think that really really changes your perspective on everything. I mean, my son is three years old, and now I see life completely different. I look for myself and my pocket and my money completely different than I did before. You both have kids in college, you know what that's like? Yeah, it is, but yeah, Derek, but my point is it's one of those things that, hey, why should I sacrifice my pocket to you know, help the team where I could potentially make so much more. Who's to say, I'm not going to get injured. Who's to say, you know, you don't know what's going to happen. So at the same time, I understand if he was, you know, if he does end up moving away from this, because at the end of the day, you got to look for what's going to benefit you the most. And I know that my son sounds selfish, but at this point in his career sometimes you do have to do what's best for your own business.
Speaker 8: No, there's no question, but you also, sixty million dollars a year is going to put a huge responsibility on him, and now it's not.
Speaker 10: And now it's not about it. It's about now, it's about you.
Speaker 8: And if you think the criticism on weekly shows on ESPN and national radio and all that is bad, now wait till you make sixty million dollars a year and you're playing with guys like me out here and it's not working and the team is not as good. Then all of a sudden, then the realization, yeah, I help myself. I've got generational wealth. Great, but I'm a quarterback. Now known on a six and eleven football team every year that that in itself, nobody wants to go out here and lose, and and and the Cowboys have proven outstanding players, get it done players that then they draft, Well, that's what gets wins here, that's what gets division wins. It just hasn't translated into playoff wins yet, but that responsibility soon he makes sixty million a year, now, that responsibility goes on him even even stronger than before.
Speaker 7: Last season would have to be the standard.
Speaker 3: If sixty million is the number, and that's going to have to continue to get better as time was on.
Speaker 6: All right, we're going to take our first break. We're going to come back and with some camp observations. I want to hear a little bit about it's all good. We got that, We're gonna get some other topics and.
Speaker 4: Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and t five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable.
Speaker 12: Secure five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Then on it lg Ole lead Evo TV.
Speaker 13: That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 1: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 13: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 1: No one comes close.
Speaker 13: Lg Ole lad Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at lg dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 2: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 14: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 15: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help with digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby. You can keep life moving forward the way you need it to Bank of America, what would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot Com Bank of America NA member after I see equal credit Opportunity lender.
Speaker 8: Back to the Break, l g olid Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that only l G old G four has the best picture quality day I've ever seen.
Speaker 10: Wow, this is tough.
Speaker 8: See you for yourself at LG dot com backslash only Evo for your for your needs there, how about that man?
Speaker 10: That is that is Evo?
Speaker 4: It's LG dot com fort slash O, d ev o O l E V E v Oh.
Speaker 10: They are a great sponsor.
Speaker 8: And so yeah, I'm sorry that when I'm reading this read I read it one time through and I'm like, boy, this is really gonna be tough.
Speaker 10: So here we go.
Speaker 4: We got it, Get you one, We got it, Go get it.
Speaker 10: Evo O TV go Get you one.
Speaker 6: Welcome back. It is the second segment of the break. We're live Moxot, California. I just thought about so did I say we were at the s W b C Mortgage Studios earlier.
Speaker 7: I didn't catch it.
Speaker 10: They're good sponsor.
Speaker 4: Anyway, we're out of Knox in our California. As you can see it.
Speaker 10: Did you say blockchain? Did you get the blockchain?
Speaker 4: No, I was, I was about to get to Okay, it's the second if.
Speaker 8: You watch me, just just kind of just like it was a Bourbon street drunk walking down the road there.
Speaker 4: We've had a lot of practice at that back in the day.
Speaker 10: I'm shuy it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're an LSU student, but no, we appreciate you guys join us. We're out here in Oox in our California, beautiful box in Oar, California. We'll be out here for a month, and so it's going to be we have lots of shows out here. Uh, just so those for those that don't know, we're alternating.
Speaker 4: Days, so we'll be every other day.
Speaker 6: We'll be doing a show every other weekday, alternating with Talking Cowboys, which is also at the nine o'clock hour uh here at Pacific time eleven back home at Central time.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: But we'll be doing that throughout training camp and then once we finish training camp and get into the season, we'll go back to our.
Speaker 4: Normal every day.
Speaker 6: You can expect to see us Monday through Friday, every day of the week, getting you guys ready for the Cowboys games each week.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: This segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, let's jump in. Let's let's get some mobs of from practice. What did you guys see yesterday?
Speaker 6: Brian, you gave us a good stude observation on the wide receivers, which, by the way, I love to see and I actually had the same observation.
Speaker 4: I think we all.
Speaker 10: Did good start for those two absolutely, and they need it.
Speaker 4: They need to start.
Speaker 6: They're going to get plenty of opportunities out here as long as CD Lamb is out. Let's go to you Amber. What's an observation that you saw yesterday a practice?
Speaker 9: Okay, So my top guy that caught my eye the most yesterday was Lance Trey Lance. He he when he was out there on the field, and he wasn't he didn't have like a perfect perfect practice. He made a couple of bath throws, but just in general, he's demeanor, he looks like a starter. Like his vibe and how he walks on the field. He had he looks very confident he looks like somebody who would have experienced somebody who's who's there and has everything on their control. So just his demeanor overall, very different from Cooper Rush. You know Cooper Rush. He's more like calm and just kind of he's not very out there his personality and how he leads when he's on the field. But there were a couple of times where I had to look twice and make sure that wasn't Dak as far as how he would carry himself.
Speaker 7: So for those that like to.
Speaker 9: Ask, hey, what about Lance and see a possibility, how's he looking? This is a very important year for him. I believe this is his last year on the contract, and the Cowboys do have to figure out what's gonna happen with him. This organization, everybody on their last year, everybody make it happen this year, you know.
Speaker 7: So we don't.
Speaker 9: We still don't know what's gonna happen with him. We don't know what's gonna happen with Dak and how that can play. Obviously, they they're gonna play into each other somehow while they're figure out, you know, if they're gonna try to keep developing him and give him a contract. But to me, he he looked pretty impressive on they one as far as like just doesn't look like someone that's completely new.
Speaker 6: I will throw out one thing before we go to Nick on Trey lance. For me, I'm gonna need to see a little more decisiveness and a little better accuracy and consistency in that right. I think yesterday, I see what you're talking about. There is a way that he carries himself that looks like Okay, I think he mentally is, yes, But from the standpoint of what I've seen him do on the field, that's why I got to see more of the decisiveness, that the accuracy, the consistency, those are things I think he's got to show out here at training campus.
Speaker 3: You could tell he wasn't confidence in San Francisco, because when he came into the building around this time last year, give or take a few weeks, you could see that confidence was shot.
Speaker 7: That confidence has slowly been building off the field over the course of.
Speaker 3: The last year, and I think that's been the big thing for him to focus on, is just being comfortable in who he is as as a player and as a guy in the locker room. Once again, and we're starting to see that now, like he's got some guys that he relies upon in the locker room, that he relies upon whenever he's working with the second and third team. But I need that confidence to translate between the lines, and I didn't quite see that yesterday. I had mentioned on Dallas Cowboys dot Com yesterday that you know, he struggled pushing the ball down field.
Speaker 7: He hesitated to do that. Most of his stuff was just.
Speaker 3: Checked downs five yards and in between and Cooper Rush. He had a couple of arrant throws too. I said, the slightly advantage would go to Rush for me today, but it wasn't in particularly winning fashion.
Speaker 7: So that was my initial standout.
Speaker 3: And then also looking at Cooper BB, you know, this is a very interesting center battle.
Speaker 7: I think it's I think it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Way more interesting than people may realize, just because of the work that brock Hoffman has been putting in to potentially be that starter. Also given the context of brock Hoffman coming in and starting two games last year and playing really well in those two games.
Speaker 7: But Cooper Beb coming in.
Speaker 3: With all of this knowledge, all of this, all of these knacks to be an interior offensive lineman but also playing a new position. BB really struggled with the shotgun snapping. It was it was, it was really tough. But I think whenever you kind of get used to seeing him at camp and he gets a preseason game under his belt, I'll be really excited to see what this battle looks like after the RAMS game, because I think it's gonna be really fascinating.
Speaker 4: Did I see this right? It was TJ Bass also taking some rep yesterday.
Speaker 7: So he's technically that mix as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought so, which is which is also an interesting layer to this entire deal because there's technically four guys competing for the starting center spot. It's Brock Hoffman, Cooper Bebe, Uh, TJ. Bass, and Dakota Shepley, And so all four of those guys are gonna get reps, They're going to get opportunities not only here in a Star but in the preseason as well. I think ultimately it does come down to Hoffman and Bebe, and I think Bass is a guy that like, hey, we're gonna get you as many reps as we can in case injury does pop up.
Speaker 7: We want you to know what you're doing.
Speaker 3: But I think he's the right guard of the future, and I think they're banking on that to happen whenever Zach Martin does decide to call it a career over being the size to to leave the right guard of the future over BB I believe.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: I mean again, you would have to kind of understand what would happen after training camp here, because if Hoffman does win that center job, then yeah, you're right, that is a right guard battle whenever Zach Martin decides to decides.
Speaker 7: To depart Dallas. So it's a it's it's a good problem to have.
Speaker 3: They they're starting to have a lot of depth there in the interior offensive line that they can play with. How strong will that depth be? That's what these four weeks are gonna tell us.
Speaker 8: I think we all need to keep an eye on what's going on. I think the best part of this Dallas Cowboys offensive line is their interior guys. Yeah, absolutely, And I think what you need to keep an eye on is how that plays out and if they all look very very competitive and either anybody could start because if something were to happen with Geidon, say at left tackle, or they were not totally you know, Chumadoga is the left tackle right now. As we drill. As we drill, I mean, we'll have a lot of practices out here and stuff, but I would keep an eye on that because to me, the fallback, fallback position is Tyler Smith moves to left tackle and now you put one of those the BB, the bass somebody in there at the left guard spot, and then you go to battle that way. So a lot going on with that group.
Speaker 3: There's a zero percent chance that if Tyler Geiden is not ready to go by week one in the coach size that they are playing sho.
Speaker 8: I just to me, this is where this is where I go back to my days of working in player personnel and that with coaches and sometimes and especially in this organization, the coaches are looked at as okay, let's take their word for it.
Speaker 10: Let's you know.
Speaker 8: And so now you're thinking, I was thinking, okay, I'm okay with brock Hoffman. I get that. I understand what's going on there. But you drafted Geyton with the reason for a purpose. You know, you you addressed that, you said, hey, this is our guy. So if Mike Solari all of a sudden gets away with playing with Chumadoga at left tackle. It's gonna make me in the personnel department question, Okay, why did we do this? Why didn't we take Barton the center from Duke or some other thing that if you're not if you're going to just go ahead and play that guy then But I think that I think that it Geydon has to show that he can't do it. You know, initially, I think there's going to be a learning curve there, just how steepable learning curve we were about to see.
Speaker 3: And I don't want it to be a dunk on chumwaydoga either. No No, always said I think he's a better interier.
Speaker 8: But they addressed it. They addressed it. They drafted a tackle that's purely yeah.
Speaker 10: I feel there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, we're gonna go intake our final break.
Speaker 6: When we come back, we're gonna get into some storylines and we're this is actually gonna span this show and the next show. I just want to run through all the different storylines because there's so many.
Speaker 7: We're gonna yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Might need wrong show.
Speaker 9: That's another show.
Speaker 4: Storylines that shot out on a storyline T shirt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So we're gonna go start going through some of these storylines and it hit them.
Speaker 4: We've already talked about a couple of them, but we're gonna go through.
Speaker 6: Some of these storylines, get your opinions on some of these things, and really just set the table for our audience so that as they enter training camp along with us, they know exactly what we're following every day and and what they should be paying attention to because these are gonna be the things that matter once we get to the first game in September.
Speaker 4: Let's take our final break. We'll come ba Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 10: Redo.
Speaker 16: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollar order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 5: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 1: Off the field.
Speaker 5: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an LG.
Speaker 1: Oled Evil TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit.
Speaker 13: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 1: No one comes close.
Speaker 13: LGO led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 4: See for yourself at LG dot com.
Speaker 17: Slash O Leadevo from the field of the festivities, Lucasey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition handcrafted with meticulous precision. Each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster then this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has a T and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, secure five.
Speaker 12: G requires capable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See atd dot com Slash five G for you for dytails.
Speaker 1: Back to the break.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 8: This is a pre simple one guys. At and T the official sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: That's what it says on the sheet.
Speaker 4: Good job, how about that.
Speaker 10: That's it.
Speaker 8: That's it, unless you want me to just shuffle through this.
Speaker 10: Uh this lg ol ed Evo read again.
Speaker 4: No, we're good. We know about that. We know about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it says here on a little sheet, it says AT and T the official sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Well thank you AT and T.
Speaker 10: That'sh Yeah.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get up right back again.
Speaker 6: We got a final segment here on the Break live from Oxendak, California, and let's get into some storylines. I think the biggest storyline that we all can agree is Ceedee Lamb and his absence.
Speaker 4: Here at training camp.
Speaker 6: The question after you, guys, is how much do you think this sets him back? He obviously is a veteran player, but there is also even with veteran players, there is the timing aspect you want to be able to kind of work back up between the quarterback and the receivers. How much does do you think this sets him back?
Speaker 3: I think this is an interesting one just because I'm kind of on both sides of the corn here. Initially, whenever I asked this question around Ota Mini Camp time. I look at it and I see, Okay, there's still opportunities for Dak and CD to.
Speaker 7: Get together off the field, whether it be.
Speaker 3: At Dak's home, at a random training facility away from campus and kind of be able to still get that rhythm down, still be able to find that connection between the two before they get out to Oxnard or before it's just Dak that gets out to Oxnard. But we hear Dak and he's talking yesterday, and he took that trip with the receivers and tight ends and running backs that he does every single year, and this year all quarterbacks came too, so it was Cooper Rush and Trey Lance. They all eighteen of them went up to Portland, Oregon trained at the Nike campus for three days and they were able to get a lot of really good work in and you could really see that translate onto the field last year whenever they did that trip, and you're starting to see that early on here as well.
Speaker 7: Ceede Lamb wasn't at that trip, So I think that's I think that's.
Speaker 3: A little bit of an interesting tidbit because how much will Seedy have to catch up when he does get here, because that will have to happen. There will be a ramp up phase for him, whether he starts tomorrow or he starts in week one practicing. And we saw it a little bit with Zach Martin whenever he got integrated in Oxnard last year. So I think concern level, I'd put it at maybe like a three to four out of ten. But I still think it is there, and you still have to build that connection. You have to build that rhythm with your quarterback. But granted, I think the pros and the positives are he's coming off the best season in franchise history for a wide receiver, his quarterback was second in MVP voting last year, and those two have played together for what is it now, three four seasons, So I think I think building that connection over time is really it will allow it to be a lot more seamless than it has been in recent years. And aside from this leaf flower over here, I think they'll be fine whenever they get going the show.
Speaker 10: Yeah exactly, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 9: Well, I was gonna say I tend to be a little extremist, if that's the right word extreme. Yeah, you know, in the same family. Yea, But yeah, I tend to be exaggerate those things a little bit because we've seen it before where you don't have the same type of it takes a while, where we've seen games, Sorry, I got completely distracted. We've seen games where it took them a while to get in sync, and we've seen that to be a problem before. And this is no, I'm not saying anything bad about CD. I think he's he's still preparing, he's still practice practicing, We are doing his own workouts. We heard Dik talk about him not being a problem and he's gonna be okay. We heard Brendan Cooks he mentioned him as well, saying, hey, he's doing everything he needs to do at this moment to stay in track and be ready to go as soon as he comes here. But how many times have we seen it in games where the receivers in DC are kind of not in sync, And how I don't have time to wait week one, week two, week three, we four for them to get going. I need them to get going right away. And this is not a sach Martin situation. Very different position, very different experience, all of that. So I think it is extremely important for him to be here now However, at the same time, just like you mentioned those other younger wide receivers, great to see them getting those extra reps and being able to kind of keep growing as opposed to you know, CD, that takes away a little bit from their own time out here. But I do think it's very important for him not to be here.
Speaker 8: Yeah, training camp, this is a lot different than working in Houston, you know. And and but you Nick was talking about, you know, throwing in the dockyard and all that stuff that they've done, and I don't ever worry about that part. I think they have an understanding of of you know, being together long enough that where somebody is going to be where they're you know, the routes are going to end and all that. I just worry about the all of a sudden, if safety misses the first week of camp and then they do get it done, now you're behind that way. Just from the conditioning aspect, and see Lamb is a very well conditioned athlete. But training camp running is different than running in Houston or Frisco or wherever else. That just the practice pace is different, and you always worry about, Yeah, you worry about the soft tissue things, and this organization has had a little bit of a history history at times where you know, people come in and then all of a sudden you get those soft tissue injuries, and then now you're set back. But and then if you miss ten days, now you're closer to the season. And now if you're hurt, then there's questions about will you be ready against Week one against the Browns. Yeah, those are the only things that I worry about.
Speaker 6: Do you think it should affect negotiations? Knowing that this is such a and I hesitate to use this term, but an all in season. And what I mean by that is like, literally, there are a bunch of people around here, players, coaches who this is the last who rat like they don't have future deals. This is like, let's see what this year becomes with all that on the line. Do you think that should affect negotiations from the standpoint of the Cowboys point of view, to say, hey, maybe we got to give a little more to go ahead and get this done knowing so much as riding on it.
Speaker 8: You know, I don't know how you guys feel about it, but Jerry Jones was talking about seeing more.
Speaker 10: Leaves off the tree.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you have an understanding of some of these deals that have already been done, and so you have an idea play the game of where does Ceedee Lamb fit in the receivers that have been extended or the receivers that are trying to get extended, And so that's where to me, that's where that number comes into. I was talking to somebody in the league, another cap guy, and usually it's like, oh, well the Hills contract is they say it's thirty million dollars.
Speaker 10: Well, in actuality, it's really twenty seven to five, you know. And then Adams.
Speaker 8: Contract is actually twenty four or five. You know, it's not a thirty million dollar deal. But then I asked about the Jefferson contract and they're like, no, that's a thirty five million dollar contract.
Speaker 10: Straight up.
Speaker 8: It's a straight up thirty five million dollar contract. So to me, if you have an understanding or an idea of where these numbers are going to fall, then I've always found this with Steven Jones, if you don't try and reset the market with him, he'll deal with you. He'll deal with you in a way of like Okay, come in right under this number. You know, if I'm not resetting the market then, and I think that's where maybe Lamb and his group needs to think about. Don't think about the Jefferson number. Think maybe at or slightly below that number, and if you're satisfied with that, then you're good to go. And I think they would deal with you on that way.
Speaker 3: I think from my understanding looking at the negotiations and just kind of how things have played out, I see CD Lamb and his representation being.
Speaker 7: Comfortable being under that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 3: I think the semantics are gonna come in the length of the deal and the guaranteed money. I think that's where you're gonna have all these conversations back and forth. Stephen Jones said in his walk off yesterday that they have exchanged numerous.
Speaker 7: Deals with CD Lamb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they're going through the very minute details of this entire thing.
Speaker 7: I think the per year I don't think that.
Speaker 3: I think maybe there's a little bit too much importance being put on that, right. I think it's the length and the guaranteed money, because both of those two things they can make him the quote unquote highest paid, just depending on how you look at it.
Speaker 6: But to that point, was it interesting that you guys that Steven mentioned yesterday in the press conference that talking about him and Micah both want to be the highest paid non quarterbacks in the.
Speaker 4: League, which kind of it jumped out to.
Speaker 6: Me because I never I wouldn't have thought that that necessarily CD and his representation would be looking for highest paid on quarterback in the league kind of money, or wide receiver even kind of money. But according to Steven, maybe that is what what might be a part of this equation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's fascinating.
Speaker 3: It's a fascinating ordeal because what what does that mean at the end of the day, Because there's three different markers you can look at. You can look at the annual contract value, you can look at the guaranteed money, total money, you can look at a bunch of things, and especially once you crack it down with state taxes and things like that, they can make the negotiation fib a little bit and be like, hey, this is the highest paying on our highest paid non quarterback contract in the league, even though ESPN might not say it.
Speaker 6: So, all right, that's a wrap for us. We'll be back on next Tuesday. It was next Tuesday. We only got to one storyline and we got plenty more to get to.
Speaker 3: So it's fun when you're having fun. It's short when you're having fun because I'm around.
Speaker 4: Come on, welcome to the show. Nick. It was a good first year.
Speaker 10: I'll work on that read for you guys next time.
Speaker 4: It was just the first one. Brian, we got time, we got.
Speaker 10: There's a lot going on here with that Reid.
Speaker 4: We got about to figure out. All right. We'll be back with you guys next Tuesday. Till then.
Speaker 6: For Brian, brought a Sambergarcia and Nick Harris. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 5: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.