Speaker 1: Perry.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not sure if people know this, but you and I we went to college together and we were like, like we knew each other, we were acquaintances. We dated each other's roommates in various Yeah, yeah, correct. Guess if you had told me at that time, like one day you and Francis Perry Wilson the Third will do a podcast about sexual dessert like I would have told you you were crazy person. I do not have this on my Bango card.
Speaker 3: That's that's funny because I, you know, for the past twenty five years, have been thinking to myself, you know, someday Emily and I are going to sit down talk about sexual dysfunction together. So you know, but that's whatever. Different strokes for different folks.
Speaker 2: No strokes, It's totally right. So I'm excited and somewhat apprehensive to discuss this complicated and nuanced topic.
Speaker 3: Do we need to say that, although this is an explicit podcast, it is going to acknowledge the existence of sex and sexual function, and if you're listening with your kids, be aware of that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, this is probably not the episode for the.
Speaker 3: Car Let's do it, Let's fall in love?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm Emily Oster. I'm an economist and a data expert.
Speaker 3: And I'm Perry Wilson. I'm a medical doctor.
Speaker 2: It's Thursday, June eleventh, twenty twenty six. And this is wellness actually.
Speaker 3: Because you're getting a staggering amount of health and wellness information nowadays from every source imaginable, and some of it is awesome and some.
Speaker 2: Of it is well actually both Fortunately we are both people who know how to read studies, how to parse the data, and can tell you what's worth thinking about and what you can safely ignore.
Speaker 3: But before we dig in, a note that this podcast is for educational purposes and should not be construed as medical advice. We don't know your unique situation, so talk to your doctor for personal health decisions.
Speaker 2: This week, we're asking what's the deal with hypoactive sexual desired disorder? Perry and I will give the official smasher pass, and then we'll get to your question of the week.
Speaker 1: I like the idea that we're going to smasher pass a disorder about sex.
Speaker 2: That's fine, Okay, we're good, but first let's do the health news roundup after the break. Now for the health news of the week, Perry, there was an American Diabetes Association conference this week and police removed people for handing out an editorial. This is not something that typically happens at our conferences. Can you please enlighten me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Traditionally at medical conferences, people only get escorted out for being just too drunk or hungover from the night before. So this is definitely outside the box. The American Diabetes Association, the largest diabetes conference in the world. What was happening. Was scheduled to speak was our friend, doctor j. Badicharia, the head of the NIH. Now the backstory actually is that he had canceled. I don't think the people who were handing out the editorial knew that, and he he was going to send a deputy from the NIH. But the plan was doctor J was going to speak, and so several members of the ADA were handing out a recent editorial which criticized NIH policies and the Trump administration in terms of their medical science. So this editorial was I mean, this wasn't just like some random editorial. This was an editorial in Diabetes Care, which is the flagship journal of the American Diabetes Association, and it criticized drastic cuts in funding opportunities from the NIH, this thing where they're doing multi year grant forwarding, which is limiting the amounts of grants that can be funded at any given time, decimation of the NIH workforce, promotion of pseudoscience conspiracy theories, and I think maybe most importantly, the politicization of funding decisions, taking funding decisions out of the hands of scientific peer review. Now, these people who were escorted out by the police were not Rando's. One of them was Stephen Kahn. He's a professor of medicine at the University of Washington and the editor in chief of Diabetes Care as well as a co author of that editorial, So he's handing out his own work. He's the editor in chief of the most important diabetes journal in America. The ADA did come out with a statement saying, look, this isn't political, but people are not allowed to hand out materials like you can't disseminate materials at our conference, which I like look somewhat askance at because people kind of are handing out materials all the time, like handing on editorials.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, I mean, it feels to me like there's there's a letter of the law, which perhaps says you can't hand out materials. But my guess is that frequently people are handing out a variety of random materials and there are no consequences for doing that. So it's sort of obviously a political obviously a political decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really sure what is accomplish What is a I always wondering these things. What is accomplished by this?
Speaker 2: Surely there's more attention to this editorial now that this news has been covering than Oh, I mean if you just let them give out this editorial to a bunch of people who probably already saw it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. It's always sort of like it's the stressand effect, where you know, you draw attention to something now can never be lost. But actually this was somewhat brilliant on the part of these editorialists. I think the conferences, particularly scientific conferences, need to think a little bit more carefully about who they're inviting, particularly if they don't want to engender any kind of backlash. You know, scientific conferences like to have famous people giving you addresses and having leaders of scientific organizations like the NIH is a long and storied part of that. But in an era where the NIH has become somewhat hostile to the people in the room who are, you know, trying to get funding and get grants in advanced science. The committees that are deciding on these speakers might want to think just reasonably about that. Not that they shouldn't have leaders of the NIH, but they should be prepared that there's going to be some tough questions and pushback from the audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean, I think for me it's that it's I would definitely say you should be open to having J. Bodicheria come and talk at your conference. He's ahead of the NIH. Whether you agree with that or not, that's his job. This is an important organization. But you have to understand some people are not going to like that and be prepared for whatever is the consequence of that activity. And I guess here they prepared by having the police, which is perhaps not the take I would have, you know, used not the right move.
Speaker 3: All right, let's move on. There's a paper making the rounds now that is stressing me out even more about my sleep than I was before. This is a paper appearing in Nature which says that there is a U shaped curve between the time you spend a sleep and various important clinical outcomes. So like, if you sleep too little, it's bad, if you sleep too much, it's bad. You want to be in that sweet spot of like sixt eight hours. Emily, this is keeping me up at night. What do you think?
Speaker 1: I hate this literature?
Speaker 2: Okay, so first of all, I want to say sleep is super important, and if you want to know some science about sleep, you can listen to next week's episode where we discuss sleep. Yeah, however, this particular kind of finding which is not new, like these guys have a different set of outcomes they're measuring. It's things about how well you're functioning, your organs are or whatever. But there are many parts of this, many pieces of literature that will show this you shaped relationship, and people take from that like, Okay, there's an optimal amount of the sleep, which is in their case, like between six point five and like seven point eight four.
Speaker 1: Hours or something like that.
Speaker 2: The problem is people who sleep a lot are generally sick. So if you if there's somebody who's sleeping for eleven hours a day, there's something else that's wrong.
Speaker 3: For the most part, or my teenager can one hundred percent of this, but that's not what you're talking about, right.
Speaker 2: But like, for if you take an adult who is sleeping for eleven hours a day on average, that person has something else going on. It could be mental health, it could be physical health, you know, so to say like it's unhealth.
Speaker 1: That's different from saying if you you a person.
Speaker 2: Who typically sleeps seven hours, if you decided to sleep eleven hours, would that be bad for you? That is not what this data says. You probably couldn't sleep eleven hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But the.
Speaker 2: Fact is the people who sleep eleven hours or something else going on. And similarly, people who are sleeping three or four hours a night generally have a lot of other things that are going on. That's more likely to be shift workers. People are you know, generally have fewer resources. There's like other things that are happening that made people sleep less. So it's like this complicated thing where the paper sort of wants you to think that this is causal and it wants people to think, you know, you have to get exactly this amount and if you go outside of it, then you're going to die.
Speaker 1: But that's really not what the data says.
Speaker 2: It's much more that we're identifying different groups of people with other different different things.
Speaker 1: Now, having said that, I think sleep is.
Speaker 2: Very important, so I think people should should prioritize sleep. But like, my brother sent me this article and it was like the headline is like, is like you don't really need eight hours of sleep, And he was like, oh my god, I'm getting eight hours of sleep, Like is that bad?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, get the sleep. You've got to give your body the opportunity to sleep the amount that your body wants to sleep, basically, like, that's that's great for you actually.
Speaker 2: And for most healthy adults, if you give your body the opportunity to sleep, you will generally sleep something up like seven to seven half hours. That is what a typical adult will sleep given the opportunity in a sleep lab. So anyway for sleeping eleven hours a day is probably because something else is wrong, that's all.
Speaker 1: Okay. I hate you shaped things.
Speaker 2: It's like I hate I hate so, I hate you shapes in research. It just drives me nuts. It's like one of my bugget boots.
Speaker 1: Okay, duly noted. So don't bring me any.
Speaker 3: Bringing you exclusively U shaped findings for that. What about BMI and death? Okay, do that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so let's talk about what's going on with HIV in South Africa. There is some very promising new data about PREP shots and their effects on transmission. Although in the US we don't talk as much about HIV as as we once did in much of Sub Aheran Africa, this is still as tremendously important problems. About eight million people were HIV positive in South Africa. A lot of the new infections are in adult girls.
Speaker 1: What is the good data here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this was really encouraging news coming from NPR, and it's about PREP so pre exposure profile axis for HIV. So these are medications you take when you don't have HIV but you're in a high risk environment and South Africa, as you point out, is very high risk. There are eight million people living with HIV in South Africa and there's about a thousand new infections per week, almost entirely unfortunately in young and adolescent girls and women. And you know, pre exposure profile axis typically is an oral medication that you either take daily, some can be less frequent than that. But what South Africa has started using is every six month injection called length of Year, and this essentially eliminates the risk of transmission of HIV. So for those six months, we're wardless of what's happening to people. And of course, you know, I should say that a lot of these adolescent women are in exploitative relationships like this is yeah, and this is bad independent of the transmission of HIV, but obviously transmission of HIV makes the situation even worse. And for the six months that you after the injection, you essentially like there's basically no transmission. This as a public health intervention is just way easier, right, You have to get You've got to get a hold of these these people who are at risk, you know, twice a year, as opposed to getting them drugs much more frequently than that. The big problem now is one of funding.
Speaker 2: Honestly, there's the drugs are very very expensive.
Speaker 3: It's being funded right now by the Global Fund out of the un like the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, and you know, funding there is unfortunately limited, But there are a large number of philanthropies that do have an interest in this area. So to the extent that we can draw attention to this like relatively successful program and scale it up, I think would be ideal and of course if people, if people feel like donating, you can donate to the Global Funds Fight AIDS directly if that's a choice.
Speaker 2: Yet another reason why it was very unfortunate that they cut all the funding for PEPFAR, which has been one of our most successful global health interventions over the past twenty years. It is on that note, that's it for the health news of the week, and after the break, we'll ask what's the deal with hypoactive sexual desire disorder?
Speaker 3: All right, we are back. We're asking what's the deal with hypoactive sexual desire disorder? Okay, I'm lee this is one of the topics, maybe not HSDD per se, but like sexual activity, sexual function in my age group, in my cohort, presumably in your cohort as well, is something a lot of people sort of allude to without really digging down on. There's a lot of like there's a lot of sly comments, like sort of the boomer humor stuff that I hear about, you know, like, uh, you know, my wife's got a headache, like that kind of thing, but no one ever really sits down and compares notes. I mean, I think fortunately, but but that's sort of what we're here to do, because if something is a disorder and it's out there, people might naturally wonder like do I have it? What do I have it? And I think maybe the place to start before we talk about like a disorder of sexual function is what is normal here? Like when we think about this, especially you know for people our aged, you know, forties kids, that kind of thing. You actually have some really interesting data on this.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to start by by I once did a really great podcast with Emily Nigoski, who is a writer who writes about sex, and I asked the question, you know, what's a normal amount of sex?
Speaker 1: And she was like, that is the worst possible question.
Speaker 2: And I came to think that she was right because of course, like there is no, no, there's average. I can tell you in the data what is the average, But the word normal has this like connotation about what is appropriate or what you should do, and I think that's actually not very helpful in a place where people are going to vary in like what makes them happy. So I'm going to tell you the average, but I'm not going to tell you what's normal.
Speaker 3: I think that is very well said. It doesn't imply that if you're less than the average or more than the average, that you are per se abnormal or pathological, but please go okay.
Speaker 2: So we I get very interested in this question a couple of years ago because I talked to a lot of parents of young kids and it comes up all the time, the question of are people having sex and how much are they having And it's a place where people just like to have data. So we did this big survey of parents. People were very I do a lot of surveys actually on my website, and.
Speaker 1: This was by far the most popular.
Speaker 2: So I got twenty six thousand people to report their sexual.
Speaker 3: It's pretty amazing data. It's pretty amazing. It's one of the largest studies of its type. Like as I was looking at the literature too.
Speaker 2: So you know, the answer is that for parents at least, sex varies quite a lot with the age of the youngest kid. So in the data, for people with kids under a year, the like modal frequency was once to twice a month. For people with kids over five years, the mode was more like.
Speaker 1: One two times a week.
Speaker 2: There's a reasonable share of people who say that they never have sex or less than once a year. It's not very high, but it's it's certainly, you know, for almost ten percent basically for people with very small children, and there are a very small number of people, like less than one percent even with older kids, who say they have sex every day, So you know, like we're kind of if you ask what's the average, it's something in the range of.
Speaker 1: Twice a week too, uh, once a month.
Speaker 3: I think one of the really interesting things that was in your data was this relationship with age of parents and age of kids. So what you found is that if you holding the age of kids steady, like, statistically, the older the parents were sort of the less frequently they would have sex, which kind of makes sense, right you get older, like things happen. But then the older the kids are, the more often the parents would have sex, And of course those are correlated because older parents tend to have older children everything. So it's this really complex interplay between biology, which is as we get older, like the hormones that drive our sex drive decrease, and then like logistics, which is like, as our kids get older, there's just more opportunity.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's true? This is a different topic.
Speaker 2: I feel like there are some ways in which having older children presents less opportunity. Okay, I mean because then they could catch like it well anyway.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh no, I think this is a critical thing to discuss. And if any of my children are listening to this, please turn it off. Turn it off, go to bed, Go to bed, stay in your room.
Speaker 2: So one of the things I thought was was interesting, which maybe sort of leads into the question of how we sort of pathologize this is actually a pretty large share of people said that they were not having enough sex, not as much as they would want to, right. And so even the people who are having sex one to two times a week, a little bit forty percent of them said they were having somewhat too little or way too little sex. As you get to people who are having sex a few times a year, almost one hundred percent of them say that's not enough. And this for me was actually a much more telling piece of the of the data than the frequency, because I think if you say, you know, we're having sex twice a year and that works for us, like that's that feels like enough, then it's great. It is more concerning when you have almost everyone saying, well, actually i'd love to have more. But something else is happening, that's getting in the way. Yeah, I and obviously are more likely to say they don't they're not having Men would like to have more sex than women.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, when you stratified, when you stratified by sex. But many women in your survey, in fact, the majority, are also saying, yes, I'd like to have more. So, you know, in theory, you've got these couples, right, both members of the couple are like, you know, I really wish we would have more sex, and yet we don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean it was it saying Okay, I'll just say one more thing about this, which is that people left a lot of comments, like thousands and thousands of people left comments, and some of this is just I'll just read this because I think it summarizes a little bit of how people often feel with little kids. It's not that the sex is bad or that I don't love my spouse as much. It's just that we're both so tired all the time that the sex is very bland and feels like something we do quickly just for basic maintenance while the kids are temporarily asleep. The best analogy I can think of is forcing yourself to eat because you know, you should even though you're not actually very hungry.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a little bleak.
Speaker 2: It's bleak, But I think we should come back to it later because actually there is some stuff in the data suggesting that that actually may not be a terrible approach to sex in some cases. So that's probably a good place to move into what we actually mean when we say hypoactive sexual desire disorder.
Speaker 3: Right, so let me start by saying, we don't mean like everyone like sometimes isn't in the mood, right, Like that's normal, that's natural. It's not you're you know, you're not going to be there all the time. This is Hypoactive sexual desire disorder is a clinical disorder, and because it's clinical disorder, it now appears in the d s M five. So the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual is the big book of psychological diagnoses. It's where you find like, oh, what do I you know, what criteria do you need to fulfill to have major depressive disorder, bipoloy disorder or schizophrenia or anything. And as of the fifth edition, which is the most recent, HSDD was put in here, although in the DSM five they call it female sexual interest slash arousal disorder. This actually engendered some controversy, which I'll get to in a second, but just to say it, in order to be diagnosed with this, you need to have decreased or absent three of the following things. Interest in sexual activity, sexual erotic thoughts are fantasies, initiation of sexual activity or unreceptive to partner's attempts to initiate sexual excitement or pleasure. And almost all encounters sexual interest slash arousal to erotic cues, genital or non genital sensations during sexual activity. It needs to be going on at least five months. It needs to not be better explained by something else like a medical condition or medications you're taking, or stress or the million other things that obviously can cause all these things. And here's the kicker for all psychological disorders. It has to be causing you significant distress. You have to be upset about it.
Speaker 2: So the piece of this that I find a little hard in diagnosis is all of these things are kind of in the abstract, but most of the time we're thinking about sexual behavior in the context of a relationship, and so there's actually maybe an important distinction between like am I interested in sexual activity or initiation from the person who I am have available?
Speaker 1: Or am I interested at all?
Speaker 2: Right, there is an important distinction here, which is would you like to have sex with someone or would you like to have sex with the person that you can have sex with? And those things may not be the same. And in principle that seems like quite important distinction, because a sexual interest arousal disorder is not a it's not a marriage problem. It's not like there's a partnership problem. It's supposed to be a thing about your sexual function, not about the other person. But it feels almost impossible to separate those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And as I said, there was some controversy about this. In two parts number one, the d s M five links sexual interest and sexual arousal in the same disorder, which is really not the same thing. One is a physiologic thing, you know, like arousal is a little clearer to document in a man because of penises and direction penises and so men have an arousal disorder. Men can have impotence, and there's like a drug to there are many now drugs to treat that. That's different then interest, And it's the same with women. And so the DSM did get some criticism for that because those things are separable. There are women who are very interested in sex but just physically don't become aroused in that way. Lumping these together doesn't seem necessarily appropriate. The other controversy is that you'll see some people arguing that hyperactive sexual desire disorder basically was created to sell drugs, you know, by the pharmaceutical industry. And we'll get to what those drugs are and their FDA approved and whether or not they work. But this is kind of a new thing, and I think it's important to tease out, as you say, like whether this is truly something inside the woman with hyperactive sexual desire disorder, or if it is a result of external things, whether that's the relationship, whether that's the result of life stress, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this feels to me, like, you know, if you think about some of the symptoms we associate, say with perimenopause or menopause, like baginal dryness, it's like a very specific reas in that you might not be like that, you might have trouble having sex or not find it as pleasurable because of this particular symptom, and that is something that deserves treatment. It has various kinds of treatment. Is totally different from interest, but is going to show up in some sense in the same way like.
Speaker 1: If you are not.
Speaker 2: If you're not going to enjoy this, you're not going to want to do it again. Those things are not the same, and so you almost want to diagnosi as like, well, do you like watching porn?
Speaker 1: Like if you.
Speaker 2: Watch the po like, how do you react to that? And that's separate from do you want to do it yourself?
Speaker 1: Or would you enjoy doing this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely, I mean that's what one of the criteria of in the DSM five is like a difficulty or decreased or absence aroused her to erotic cues. So it is clear that like, you know, this is supposed to be something, right, regardless of what you're watching, regardless of whether you're reading you know, fifty Shades of Gray or you're with the partner that you love or you with the partner that you hate, Like, it's all the same, right. Yeah, let's talk about distress though, so.
Speaker 2: Can I ask another thing about the diagnosis also, which is are they looking for changes over time? So I think you know, we can. There's so much variation of in just general interest in sex. I think across across the pod really sho some people have a higher taste for sex than others.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, in general, I would have.
Speaker 2: Thought that we'd be looking here for things that are changes from your norm.
Speaker 1: Is that part of the diagnosis or not?
Speaker 3: No, it's not. That's not in any of the criteria. It does have to be persistent for five months, but of course if that has been your norm forever, that's your norm, and it has been persistent for more than five months. But again it has to be causing distress. So they actually call out in the DSM five they call out a sexual orientation and as like, this is not hyperactive sexual desire disorder. So if you, you know, are asexual, if that's your sexual or and it's not causing you distress, and you've been that way, you know you've been that way, then that's it. You don't have a disorder, that's just who you are. I think this distress thing, though, is the one I keep getting hung up on. And by the way, this appears in every like DSM five, It's almost like for every diagnosis you can have psychologically there's always like and it's harming your everyday life or it's causing you distress or something the same with like alcoholic disorder and everything. But when it comes to sex, there's other people involved often and so you know, I do wonder how you tease out like this is causing me distress because gosh, I wish I could get more interested and it's just a fun zesty part of life that I'm not engaging in and I want that to change, versus it's causing me distress because my partner is upset with me, And like, how do you know the difference?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's a thing in the DSM about you know, this is not explained by relationships stress. Yeah, but it seems awfully difficult in the context, particularly of you know, long term marriage and so on, for this to not be wrapped up in you know, disconnects between people and in relationship stress. I mean, this is a huge source of stress in many marriages. So I guess I worry with this diagnosis in general, that we are pathologizing a set of issues which are really not at all about something physical and are just things we should be trying to address to make people happier and we've gotten to well, well we're going to give you some drug for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, well that's much more profitable totally just trying to make people happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So true.
Speaker 3: You know, you've alluded to the fact that there are baseline the bido differences in people, and I think that's true and relatively well established that, like there's some kind of the beatinal set point that people have, and yes, it changes over time and generally as you get older, and well at least post puberty, as you get older, that sort of wanes kind of difference between men and women. What that means, of course, is that in partnered relationships there is the potential to have a discrepancy. And this is again where I kind of keep coming back to with HSDD, is like is it the discrepancy that's causing the problem or not. And so I was looking into this a little bit into the data, and there's actually like a really rich body of literature about assessing lbidinal discrepancies and married couples of all genders and sexual orientations, and it's fairly robust. So I'll let me tell you. I'll go through one of these from the archives of sexual behavior in twenty fourteen. And I'm curious what you think here. So this is a study that looked at over a thousand married couples. They assessed the desire like they asked each member of the couple how often they would like to have sex, how often they were having sex, And I wonder if any of these findings are surprising. So fifty two percent of females indicated the desired frequency was equal to the observed frequency, so they were like, this is we're at the right spot. Thirty seven percent of males said that forty eight percent of husbands reported a higher desire reality score, So that's like they want more than what is happening than the wives did. Eighteen percent of wives reported higher than their husbands. Greater discrepancies between this were associated with lower relationship satisfaction, greater conflict, lower positive communication, all with sort of modest effect sizes. So how do you take this literature? I mean, you know, this is both men and women actually saying that they could do more. But men again, men are men wanted more and more than women.
Speaker 2: I don't find either of these sort of any of this thing in this space surprising. I think exactly what they mean is again a little hard to tease out. So one issue that comes up all the time is the question of what direction is the causality. So is it that people have a discrepancy in their desire and that's leading to relationship dissatisfaction, which is leading to more desiral discrepancies. Is it that they have relationship dissatisfaction that's leading to the discrepancy, you know, And then when we think about the amounts the sort of desire for more, there's a glass half full, glass af empty, which kind of comes back to some of this discussion of you know, what happens with kids, Like a lot of what happens when people have children, I should say, which is that a lot of what people are saying when they talk about wanting to have more sex is almost like it's almost a positive frame. It's like I wish I had more time for this, yeah, as opposed to like I wish I were involved with someone else that I was more interested in having sex with, the sort of like I want to do this. When we do it, it's great. It's like just hard to find the time. But I'm like, but it's it's a it's a positive statement. And yeah, that feels different than you know, I'm frustrated that my partner doesn't want to have sex with me as much as I want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like, I like thinking of it that way, and I think to some extent even being able to communicate that between partners can be helpful. Right, There's like just like, hey, by the way, we're on the same page here. It's not always going to work, but you know it's still the desire is still there, right, because there's there's You mentioned that one of the comments that you got with someone talking about sex is just kind of like maintenance on a car, right, just like something that you know you got to do periodically to kind of keep things together. And yeah, I said that feels bleak. But but the truth is some of the data and maybe you can walk us through this like suggests before we get to drugs and stuff like that, that this is a strategy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I before I talk about the date, I want to read you this quote, which I love so much from someone we're both so tired, but when we do it, we're always like, man, that's great.
Speaker 1: We should do that more.
Speaker 2: That may be very happy because I think that is you know, for some set of people that this is is really about, Like, you know, we're just it's not a phase of life in which this is the thing we're doing as much as we would as much as you would like. Of course, there are many other people who will say, you know, I just don't want to do this anymore.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make me happy.
Speaker 3: So and of course there's other things that we don't have time to do that, like like I didn't get to go to the gym today like I wanted to. I didn't have time, you know, I had there was too much other stuff going on. So this is not like exclusive to sex for people with kids.
Speaker 1: And no totally. People actually also say they want to talk to their spouse more. Yeah, on date to talk to them or have sex with them either.
Speaker 3: One got multitask people multi.
Speaker 1: Task all right.
Speaker 2: So there are a bunch of strategies that people have tried to use to like mitigate these issues, which have some at least I would say, survey based evidence that they work for some people. So one is communication. Talking about how you feel about things is almost always a good idea, and a very large share of people more or less one hundred percent of couples say that having some communication about differences in sexual.
Speaker 1: Desire is helpful. This is why therapy is helpful.
Speaker 2: But another thing, perhaps almost as almost as helpful as communication, is an activity people call have sex anyway, which is actually a core part of some marital counseling advice when people are struggling with this, which is just to say, you know, just even though it's like eating your actually the starting of it may feel like eating your your vegetables, Like, just put it on the schedule, say twice a week, we're going to have sex on these times, and this is going to be on the schedule, and we're going to do it. Partly because for many people you do, you're like, oh that was pretty fun, and there's a moment of connection and then you kind of get are reminded that this is an enjoyable activity.
Speaker 1: Have sex anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, this is you're quoting data. The numbers I'm looking at are pretty pretty impressive. So you're quoting data from this study of two hundred and thirty couples from the Archives of Sexual Behavior in twenty twenty, and as you say, zero percent, not a single couple said communication was unhelpful. Like every single couple said you should talk about this. That's the number one thing, but coming in hot at number two of the coping strategies, with only five percent of couples saying it's not helpful. Was this have sex anyway?
Speaker 1: Six anyway? Six anyway?
Speaker 2: There are other things which seem to work, you know for some people, So engagement in another activity with the partner, So doing something else to try to connect with your partner. About eighty eight percent of people said that that was.
Speaker 1: Date night helpful. Date night.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing people say is you know, to do it by yourself, which this that he refers to as engagement and activity alone masturbate and and I will say eighty percent of.
Speaker 1: Couples here said that that was useful.
Speaker 2: And I think part of it is, you know, if really the issue is one person just wants more orgasms and the other person maybe that the compromises that they get to have some of them by themselves. What it is a thing that people found no almost no one found helpful was doing nothing disengagement.
Speaker 1: Nobody likes that, so don't do nothing.
Speaker 3: Don't do nothing, and it's it is this can be obviously something that's difficult to talk about, you know, going back to communication. In part, and it's not just because it's like, ooh, it's a taboo subject and whatever, because you know, most people after they've been married for a while have talked about a lot of things. But in part, it's because that all also takes time, which we've already established we don't have a lot of and so it's like, and by the way, let's cut out some extra time to talk about our sex lives and stuff like that. It is also something else to that fills up the schedule, which I think can be you know, it's easy to put off. I guess is maybe the way to say that.
Speaker 2: I also think you're understating how difficult people find it to discuss find to discuss this with a partner, you particularly if it wasn't something that you needed to discuss as much, you know, but you like in earlier parts of relationships and there was more time and you know, people were but we get good. Older people's bodies change, they want different things, like maybe they're feeling like the idea of bringing up you know, well, why aren't we doing this more like is it because you aren't as excited about me?
Speaker 1: Or is it like I think people have. This is hard.
Speaker 2: Talking about sex and talking about money are really hard, even with people that you love.
Speaker 3: This is fair, and I think we're all afraid of opening a can of worm do right, Like, you know what am I going to hear? And am I going to hear something I don't want to hear? Especially hard from people you love? So Emily, let me put on my pharmaciel hat and say, like talking is tough and takes time, how about you just pop a pill? How about that you don't even have to do it. You don't even have to tell your partner.
Speaker 1: Sounds amazing. I mean, look it worked for me. Okay.
Speaker 2: I think part of the thing here is, you know, this is all coming out of again like a very clear medical diagnosis. Right, Rectile dysfunction is like a real game. It's like a real physical thing. You need the penis to be away. It's not the way. We came up with a system to make it the way that you need. Like that was like a solid and they made a really just an absolute ton of money on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, banger drug.
Speaker 2: That's a banger drugs. One of our best drugs. It's probably one of our best drugs.
Speaker 3: You know, I think most people know this, but just to say that viagra was originally developed for pulmonary hypertension. It's a phase of dilator And this was just a very pleasant side effect that the initial trials revealed as part of adverse event reporting. People were like, something's going on here. So I was like, uh, pivot.
Speaker 1: Lungs. Those are not important, yes.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Let's talk drugs. We have two f d A approved drugs for hyperactive sexual desire disorder whatever that may be. One is flabanserine or ad ye ad ye addie, which is taken.
Speaker 1: Why do they name them these things.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's it's a pill that is taken daily at bedtime. The mechanism, it's always like, it's really interesting, Like we don't know enough about sex and arousal and desire and the complexities the human mind to actually know why a lot of these drugs work. So like this drug, flibanserin is a partial serotonin agonist, which like, okay, serotonin is important, but like we have SSRIs, which you know, have a well described side effect of decreasing right sexual interest. Like it's it's it's way too complicated to fully understand one of the things. I'm curious what you think Emily is in these trials. Right, So if you're going to get a drug approved by the FDA, you have to say there's a disease that it treats. Okay, So all right, we've created hyperactive sexual desire to sort and there's an outcome that we can show with statistical tests improves. And so these researchers and from school companies had to come up with that outcome, something measurable that they could send back to the FDA and say, look, this thing increased. And the thing that they used in all the flab aanswerin trials was an outcome called satisfying sexual events. So a satisfying sexual event is a sexual event that could happen with or without a partner. It could happen with or without an orgasm, it could, uh, you know, anything that the woman taking the drug would define, but it had to be satisfying in however she wanted to define that. And the pivotal trial for flull banswering showed that the change in satisfying sexual events per month was one point two in the placebo group. So placebo effect, once again rearing its beautiful heads one extra sexually satisfying event in the pacibo group two extra sexually satisfying events in the full banswering group. Is that the correct outcome should this have been FDA approved.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't very difficult to say what would be the right outcome. You know, you could say how many times you know, there's a more direct thing, which was just like how many times did you and gauge a in asexual event, either alone or with a partner.
Speaker 1: My guess is that they didn't.
Speaker 2: The issue with that is that the placebo effects are like too strong, particularly if you start taking this drug and people are like, okay, now I'm taking this, I'm going to have more sex with my partner. My guess is the placinbo effect is too big and that you don't get anything right.
Speaker 3: It's like oysters, right, which which have no afrodisiac effect. Actually, but like if you.
Speaker 2: Think they do, so, I can see why they didn't go with just counts and they went with something else. But it's it's sort of oddly defined. I mean, it's just an unfortunate aspect. Like I guess you could go with something more science y, which I would have been inclined towards if you really thought this worked, which was like, you know, put there are ways to like probe how much blood flow there is to the vagina, right, and so you could say, like I'm going to put a probe in the vagina.
Speaker 1: I'm going to have.
Speaker 2: People watch porn, and I'm going to see like whether this drug gets them more aroused in those settings. Like I think that would have been an interesting alternative approach to this. It's a little more sciencey, a little less real world. You probably also get some placebo effects, but I suspect that you would get much more minimal effects.
Speaker 1: So this feels like, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean these are effects. It's hard to it's hard to know. Like that, I think it was right.
Speaker 2: Like the meta analysis here is a half a sexual half a satisfying sexual event per month. So it's like I don't know, like every day I take this pill every day, and then like one half of one time every thirty days.
Speaker 1: Like something good happens. Yeah, it feels like.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you this pill is not entirely benign. It can cause significant hypotension, low blood pressure, and fainting. And I think forty percent or so of women in the pivotal trial. Uh complained of nausea on this pill, which I don't know how that is compatible with having more sexually satisfied events.
Speaker 2: But here we are one half of the one day when you don't feel nauseous.
Speaker 3: You have I don't know, Like, Okay, I'm not nauseous. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else I'm not this? The ad campaign for this is uh, it's so pink. It's like the pinkest ad campaign I've ever seen, the little pink till that everyone's talking about.
Speaker 1: It's so pink.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they really leaned into this for men, female ladies.
Speaker 1: Ladies love pink.
Speaker 3: Let's say you don't want to take a drug every day. The other FDA approved medication is called brim Lana Tide or vleisi. It is emily.
Speaker 1: A peptide, our favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so one of the.
Speaker 1: Few verine stack it it's not the Wolverine stack.
Speaker 3: No, it would be the we're gonna stick with the X men. It would be like the rogue or Gene Gray stack. I guess maybe the.
Speaker 1: Geen graystack. That's solid. I like it.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Jean Gray stack. So this is a subcutaneous injection as needed so the recommendation is take it forty five minutes beforehand, so maybe a more via agra.
Speaker 1: Is more like viagra.
Speaker 3: It works by binding another brain receptor we don't fully understand, called the alpha malanta coortin receptor. They appear to modulate sexual behavior and mice. It also seems to do something in humans. The trials in this case looked at a survey was their outcome called the female Sexual Function Index, and they use the desire score subscore of that index. So this is a survey asking like how much how's your sexual desire doing? And there was a significant increase in sexual desire by zero point three points or so, and there's also less distress by a similar amount. These are very modest effect sizes, but at least it's only it's at least it's taken as needed.
Speaker 2: I don't know, there's no difference in sexually satisfying events. It makes forty percent of people nauseous, and it causes you to tan.
Speaker 3: It can make your little tan. Yeah, that's right. It's a variant of you guys might have seen in the we talked about in the peptide episode. There's a peptite called milano tan which literally like causes your melanocytes to make more melanin, and like you inject yourself and turn yourself tan. It's kind of crazy. And this is a related peptide, so it's not you don't get quite as tan, but it is listed on the side effects and and you know tan people have more sex for sure.
Speaker 1: What they watch or whatever.
Speaker 2: My read of let's talk about before we can like overview this, Like, I think the the third thing that is disosterone, which we talked about in the tesosterone episode, which probably does work. Actually write for this, but not FDA proof for this, but in there are a bunch of trials that show kind of I would say, comparable effects to the little pink the.
Speaker 1: Adie little pill.
Speaker 2: You know about one increase, one more satisfying event per month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, testosterone clearly works. You can listen to the hormone replacement therapy episode to hear more about that. But those are the those are the drug options. Again, if you don't want to talk about.
Speaker 2: It, look, I think that you should talk about Like I find this space pretty hard to think about because it doesn't it feels like I'm kind of with the people who work complaining that the DSM has you know, created a disease for a.
Speaker 1: Drug, because so much of what actually seems to.
Speaker 2: Be going on feels like it's just people are struggling through some things in their partnerships that they could do a better job communicating about. And telling them if you just take this pill it will fix your relationship problems is misleading and probably will leave them in a worse position having not improve their marriage and having one half of one additional sexually satisfying event per month, possibly alone.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, all right, let's do it then, So Emily, with that said, smash. This is the This is the this is the most appropriate smash or pass ever. Okay, but what am I sash?
Speaker 5: You got to be a little more specific, like hyperactive sexual desire disorder as a I don't know as a as a treatable condition, smash your pass pass.
Speaker 2: I think this is something people should be talking more about with their partner if they have one, they should be thinking about it. I am passing on medical treatment options for it. But what I am smashing, if you are listening to this and you are thinking this is really resonating. What I am smashing is Emily Nagoski's book Come Together which is a really really good book talking about some of these issues in relationships, and I would really really recommend people pass on the drugs.
Speaker 3: I am going to smash here. I I think that we've done I think we've done a bad job like exploring female sexuality, understanding female sexuality. And I am cautious about too quickly attributing to like attributing everything to the environment as opposed to acknowledging that there's the possibility that there are underlying biological things that you know, could be addressed here, Like I don't want to write that off. So I'm going to smash for the research, but probably I would do testosterone before some of these other agents.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: All right, that's it for hypoactive sexual desire disorder your male back. Question of the Week after the Break.
Speaker 6: Hi, Emily and Perry, this is Tamar, your producer. My question is, even though we all know that sticking c tips in your ears is probably the greatest feeling in the world, after the topic of this episode, why shouldn't I do it? Even though I don't want to know the answer? Thanks?
Speaker 3: Does this creep you out? Emily?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Is this one like when you like think about it? Yeah, I get a little bit of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't love I don't I don't like it.
Speaker 1: My impression was.
Speaker 2: The bad thing is that it compacts all of the wax all the way into your ear, where it can be potentially problematic. And I will say once one of my children had to have like some impacted wax removed from their ear, not because of cutips, but like they'll stick like tweezers into the ear and like it's horrible, Yeah, disgusting.
Speaker 1: Is that is that correct? Doctor?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, so that's that's definitely part of it. Like ear wax naturally like gets slowly comes out of the ear and like on its own, but yes, if it gets compacted, it can get stuck in there and build up. There's also risk of damaging the ear drum itself if you push to uh far. That's a sensitive area. And lastly, the cotton on Q tips and particularly on off brand cutips, but also onqtips can come off the tip and get stuck in there, and then you have cotton in your ear that someone needs to pull out. So there, you know, I know everyone kind of does this because it's satisfying, but you probably shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Do it when I sometime during the pandemic, I started getting fed and I do not know whether this was COVID or related or else elsewhere, Instagram started feeding me ads for like this product that was like it was like it went in your ear and it had like a little camera and then you could like watch what you were doing on your phone and like and like sort of clean out the ear wax with like your like phone camera.
Speaker 1: Is that a good idea?
Speaker 3: That seems also dangerous. I think like the middle ear, which you're coming up to when you get to the ear drum, is a really important part that gives you hearing that and.
Speaker 1: Don't and balance and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like well that's the interior is balance. But yeah, like just don't mess with it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, nothing larger than your elbow in your ear, Like my mom said, this seems right.
Speaker 3: Thanks Emily's mom. All Right, that's it for today. Stick with us next week when we'll ask what's the deal with sleep?
Speaker 2: Wellness actually is produced in association with iHeartMedia. Our senior producer is Tamar Avishai. Our executive producer at iHeart is Jennifer Bassett. Our theme music is by Eric Deutsch. And our content is for educational purposes only.
Speaker 3: If you like the show, help other people find us, leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or your podcatcher of choice, and help us spread the word about the show. You can follow us on Instagram at Wellness Actually pod and don't forget We want to hear from you. Head over to Wellness Actually dot fm and leave us a question for our mailbag or suggest a topic for a future show.
Speaker 1: We'll let the influencers have the last word.
Speaker 4: What the heck is female viagra? Why the heck have I never been offered this medication? Why have I never heard of this medication?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 4: Tell me all the things today we're going to talk about Addie. Addie does not increase blood flow to the genitals like viagra or the cialisis of the world do. It works on your brain, and it is less of sexual dysfunction performance drug and more of an increasing your libido in sexual desire so you actually want to have sex drug