Speaker 1: Previously on Hello John Tale.
Speaker 2: She kicked me out and we went for two years. We didn't talk two years, not a word. I feel like he's a little bit jealous because I had our actual mom, and I'm jealous that he didn't have her.
Speaker 3: Since I started talking to Steve, he's made it clear he wanted to know who his father was. Losing the only father he had ever known made him waning to find out who gave him life. Finding his mom wasn't necessarily enough for Steve. I sensed he harbored resentment toward his biological mom, Sandy, forgiving him away, and that pushed Steve to want to find out who his birth father was. So he asked Sandy, He asked his newfound sister Amy, even asked me if I could do some digging. I started looking at his family tree. I'll remind you of what that tree looks like. Sandy was married to clips se Vegas and had Susie Savegas, her first daughter. She was the one that Franklin Floyd kidnapped. Then she had two daughters with Dennis Brandenburg. Remember this, Sandy and her girls thought he had died decades ago, but he was actually alive and well, the whole down time. Anyway, Sandy and Dennis had Alison and Amy. You already know Amy, the bus driver from Virginia. Alison lives in Oregon, but she and the family don't keep in touch. Sandy got pregnant Steve around the same time she was still with Dennis Brandenburgh. Meaning Steve's hunch and mine too, was that he was a Brandenburgh. That would make sense, but he had no proof. He was looking for something definitive. He hadn't expected to find someone who wanted answers as badly as he did another adoptee.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm Andre, a carpenter. I am just turned fifty six on a farm on Wstness. They investigations are your private investigtor?
Speaker 3: Yes, oh honey, we can have fun. Oh yes, Tennessee. When she met Steve in twenty twenty one, she was on her own journey.
Speaker 1: I've known all my life that I was adopted from ever since I can remember, but did not even attempt to find my biological parents until twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. I did not want to disrespect my adopted parents because it would hurt them, even though they were encouraging.
Speaker 3: Once she started looking, Andrew learned about her birth story. Her mom got pregnant young and she wasn't married to her dad, so she was forced to give Andrew up for adoption.
Speaker 1: And her dad, Dennis Brandenburg is my father.
Speaker 3: Dennis Brandenburg is in Sandy's second husband, the professional gambler, and the guy Steve thought was probably his father. Once Andrey figured out that she was in Brandenburg, she started finding his other kids. That's how she connected with Steve.
Speaker 4: I found out I potentially had another sister through the Brandenburg side.
Speaker 3: They had a lot in common. Both were adopted, Both waited in till later in life to seek their birth parents, both figuring out where they fit into this world with all this new information. Andrew had grown up as an only child. She couldn't live one more minute not knowing her brother.
Speaker 1: Within forty eight hours, when I was on the road going to North Carolina, and as soon as he walked in the door, ooh, I knew it was him. I knew it was him, and I stood up and he knew it was me, and it.
Speaker 5: Was just like he's finally here.
Speaker 1: All the anticipation had come forth, and I feel like that he needed us.
Speaker 3: As much as we needed him us as in the other Brandenburgs. One of Dennis's daughters lives in Michigan and his name Michelle.
Speaker 6: I am the oldest one so far that we found, and I'm fifty six, live in Fowlerville, Michigan, and on a boarding kennel for pet's pep boarding kennel.
Speaker 3: Andrew is on a mission to find as many of her siblings as possible and round them up. So she called up Amy.
Speaker 2: She said, my name is Andrew. She said, I believe we may have the same father. Would I be willing to take a DNA test to see if we're related?
Speaker 5: Sure? Why not?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 2: And I've been riding this wave of response.
Speaker 3: Andrew felt in her gut that she was a Brandyburg, but she didn't have no proof. But Amy was definitely his daughter. Andrew is kind of the captain here. She got both sisters, Amy and Michelle to do their DNA test from their home states, but she did hers from North Carolina with Steve.
Speaker 4: So she paid for everybody get a DNA test. Another sister, another lady on the Brandyburgh side, and.
Speaker 3: Her DNA tests can be expensive, somewhere between fifty dollars and a few hundred dollars Andrew wanted to pay. She worked several jobs, and I also was adopted into a family of means she could.
Speaker 1: Everybody went like that day or the next day, and we had to wait so much forever.
Speaker 3: While they waiting, Andrew and Steve got to know each other better. They didn't do anything fancy. They just went out to dinner talked a lot. After all, there was so much to catch up on between the supposed brother and sister. Everything was changing so fast, Andrew tried to soak it all in.
Speaker 1: We were supposed to be two nights and three days in North Carolina ended up being a week because we want to spend the time with Steve, kid to know him.
Speaker 3: After a few days the results came back. All four of them crossed their fingers in hope, and then I was the one that got.
Speaker 1: The first results. I called Michelle and I'm like, you're not gonna believe this. I said, we're all sisters, but Steve's not our brother.
Speaker 4: And they were all connected to brandon Bury except me.
Speaker 3: Steve was Sandy's son, but his dad was not the gamble Dennis Brandenburg.
Speaker 1: Our hearts broke.
Speaker 3: This new stone, the test ruled out the only man Sandy could remember being with around the time Steve was conceived, but the test didn't say who his dad was. Steve had reached a dead end, had insult injury. The DNA results also many wasn't related to Andrea, who had spent a whole week with him.
Speaker 1: We were crushed because he is such a wonderful, wonderful person.
Speaker 3: Steve was already wrestling with so much he wanted the certainty of knowing who he was related to on his dad's son. From talking to Steve, I could tell he resented Sandy forgiving him away, even though he knew it saved him from a lot of pain and it may have even saved his life. His father, however, was already out of the picture when Steve was given away. If Steve had been part of the Brandenburg clan joined with this group of women from three different mothers, maybe that would have been an easier family for him to fit in. But Steve was back to square one. He still didn't know who his birth father was, and now he had a choice to make. Andrea, Amy and Michelle were ready to welcome him into their family. Should he choose this family or keep looking for his biological father. My name is Todd Matthews and this is Hello John Doe. A sleuth, a family, and a serial killer. The story of a family torn apart by tragedy and my quest to bring them back together. Chapter nine, Finding his father. It's one thing to learn you've been adopted late in life. Steve is making sense of that. When he learned about Franklin Employe's destructive rampage through his family tree, he was discovering new relatives like his sister Susie Sevegas and his nephew Michael Hughes, but at the same time mourning their passing. Ever since he learned he was adopted in twenty nineteen, Steve has tried to understand his origin story still unanswered questions, and I can imagine it must feel like he's sinking in quick sin. He wants to be proud of who he is and stand tall, but how can he when there are so many unanswered questions? He was in the fog through my years. In this work, I've seen myself as a hailer. I identified the unclaimed dead and brought them back to their families who had been grieving their loss for years. I brought them closure. But there's a big difference between Steve's story and the other cases I've worked. Steve was alive, and because of how unique this whole story really is, I found myself in an unfamiliar place. I can't heal Steve. I can't fix what Franklin Floyd did. In a lot of ways, I'm woefully unequipped. But Andrea, she reached step in a way I never could. In some ways, only other people who are lost in the same way can guide you. Andrea, like Steve, was sheepish about asking her adoptive parents about her birth for a long time. Andrew didn't want to end anyone by speaking up.
Speaker 1: I just knew, you know, as a mall myself, that it would probably hurt them, so I just let it go. He might have been like me, you feel like that these two people that raised you.
Speaker 5: And you hung the moon for.
Speaker 1: That you were going to hurt them. You were going to hurt their hearts. And I think that's what Steve and I have in common, that we don't like to hurt people's hearts. And I think he kind of felt like I did that it was disrespected. Now because you know, in the South. You're raised to respect your parents, and I think he just thought, oh, I'll save it for another day, and he waited thirty years, twenty years.
Speaker 3: But waiting had consequences. Andrew's biological parents died before she even went looking for him. Dennis Brandon Burg died in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, by the time I got there, you know, late to the dads. By the time I got there, they were already gone.
Speaker 3: Andrew and Steve shared this profound thing in common. They're both looking for answers about their adoption later in life. But there's an important difference too, Andrew and you. She was adopted early, but Steve didn't. That makes him what experts call a late discovery adoptee. Anyone who finds out they were adopted later than three years old found out late. That makes Steve a late discoverer. He only found out in his teens. Experts say discovering your adoption later in life can shatter your sense of who you are. Think of it this way. If you grew up always knowing and feel like your parents have always been straight with you, that's one thing. But finding out on the verge of adulthood, it can make you question your whole damn childhood, and if you only start dealing with the fact you're adopted in middle age, it can be overwhelming to your sense of identity. Andrew could since that was happening to Steve, so despite the fact they didn't have the same father, she invited him into her new family.
Speaker 1: I said, now here's the situation. I said. He is Alison and Amy's brother. He is their half brother, but he's our stepbrother because our dad was still married to Sandy at the time that Steve was born. So in my eyes, there is no step no hives, no nothing. He's our brother. And we agreed on that.
Speaker 3: Andrea saw beyond blood connections and Steve. She saw a man with a quiet demeanor but a big heart, someone had don anything for his kids or his girlfriend Jeanette's kids too.
Speaker 1: I love him to death. I don't see any difference. And I guess I could say that because I was adopted and Steve was adopted, so he should be able to understand that. And he's got you know, Janette's kids are in his house and he loves them like they were his own.
Speaker 3: Someone trecking through what may be the most challenging years of his life, and she wanted to help.
Speaker 1: He wants those answers. We're going to do everything we can and as a family to help him get those answers.
Speaker 3: If there's something this whole family has in common, it's that they're all looking for answers. Think about it. Amy certainly didn't know she had more sisters. Andre didn't know her birth parents. Steve didn't know his whole adoption story until he was almost fifty. They each became detectives on their own, talking to one another trying to figure out who fit were. Over the summer of twenty twenty three, Steve's sister started making plans to see one another, and they wanted Steve to come too. They considered him a Brandenburg no matter what his DNA said.
Speaker 1: Amy messaged me and she's like, hey, what do you do in July tenth through the sixteenth? And I said nothing that I know of why? And she said, I think we're going to come for a visit. I said, huh, amazing, because I thought it's the perfect time for all of us to finally get together.
Speaker 2: I'm on summer break because I'm a school bus driver. I told everybody I'm gone and we just.
Speaker 3: Left, and Andrea was on board too, so I thought this is.
Speaker 1: The perfect time. My birthday's the tenth, so I said that'd be my birthday. Presis to bout seven.
Speaker 3: Andrew offered her own place in Tennessee and started counting down the days until she would be reunited with these long lost siblings, and she invited me too. I think it's because I'd ask so many questions about their family, they started considering me part of it, and I felt like family too. I've had this feeling before in other cases at work. I like to leave a little piece of myself with the family and take some of them with me. But this time I wonder if I got in too date. I want it so badly for Stived to get answers, I might have pushed him too hard, too fast.
Speaker 7: Are you staking any worse? Good?
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 3: It's easy to find. On an incredibly hot day in July, we all descend on Andrew's home in Dyersburg. It's a beautiful property, a ranch style house on a big piece of land, and it was incredibly green. That's the way Tennessee is green all over. We're not going to christ your party that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you're part of the party.
Speaker 3: She said so herself. I was part of the party. That was a good feeling. I felt a little awkward at first at someone else's reunion, but they really seemed to embrace me. I guess that's where I fit into this family. Before all of this, I had thirty years experience, first as as cybersluth and then as a contractor for the Department of Justice, doing everything I could to help reunite the missing in the dead. I know Steve can be reserved, so I thought I could help him get the answers he was looking for. I've said this before. This family don't always talk to each other. I became an intermediary, relating little bits of information to the different family members who couldn't or wouldn't ask for themselves. Amy told me that even after I interviewed Sandy, they didn't really talk about it.
Speaker 1: I said, well, how'd your little session with Todd go?
Speaker 2: She said, it went well, you went really well.
Speaker 1: I said, what would y'all talk about? She said, just he asked some questions and I answered, and I'm like, okay, you want to further.
Speaker 3: Talk to each other?
Speaker 5: Every day?
Speaker 3: I know, but not about what you need.
Speaker 6: To talk because she won't.
Speaker 1: I guess she feels more comfortable talking to his stranger.
Speaker 3: Maybe it is, and maybe you just need somebody that.
Speaker 1: A million times.
Speaker 2: We don't give a shit.
Speaker 1: It's your past.
Speaker 3: Look, I ain't a reporter. I never promised to keep sources at arm's length or not to fill in with the people I interview. I feel like I have the skills to help people find answers, and I'll be honest. I really like Steve's family a lot. I can relate to them. We all share the same sense of humor and culture. I guess it's a Southern thing.
Speaker 1: Because Steve's story kind of started and has grown legs every which I mean.
Speaker 3: All of you colorful people to start popping up definitely, well, I mean I found you, you're not. This is a whole family event now at.
Speaker 1: This point, it's a little fun week.
Speaker 3: I bet it. You've been at her all way.
Speaker 5: Ye yes, since we got it.
Speaker 1: We pulled in with Monday night on my birthday.
Speaker 3: There was only one person missing, Phillip.
Speaker 1: Steveh and Patterson. You should have had your butt here.
Speaker 3: Steve had plans to be there. We texted a lot in the weeks before the reunion, he was going to come, but his excitement started to dwindle. He said he couldn't get time off work in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Because your sisters love you. We love spending time with you. The time that I got with him personally myself changed my life because he was the beginning.
Speaker 3: That's why I felt like I have to come for it, you know, I have to. I want to try to take something.
Speaker 2: Back to him.
Speaker 3: I figured if I was there, I could share what I've learned with him when he was ready to hear it. That weekend, I spent time with his family, like Amy, who came with her husband Mike Winkles.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm going to free anything about this true. I mean it has been. It's been awesome, just a regular family cookout, laughing, joking, having a good time.
Speaker 3: By the time I showed up, the sisters had been together for a few days.
Speaker 1: We're like three peas in a pod. It doesn't seem like we've missed fifty years of each other together, but we're trying to cram it all in this week.
Speaker 3: This was the first time they were all in the same place together, and they appeared to be having the time of their lives.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're all crazy as hell. If we want to know something, we're gonna find out, and all three of us are like that.
Speaker 3: Watching them is like watching the litter of puppies play. These sisters enjoyed the best part of siblinghood. No fighting over clothes or parent's attention, just having a really close friend who loves you, even if she's just getting to know you. There were three of them that weekend, all Dennis Brandy Bird's kids. Andrea did adopt, he w s and Dyersburg, Amy the bus driver who grew up with Sandy, and Michelle, who grew up with a single mom in Michigan, who was shot to see Amy for the first time.
Speaker 6: When I saw her walk in, I was like, dang, yeah, that's definitely a Brandenburg.
Speaker 3: Amy and Michelle are practically identical, same laugh, same facial shape, same brown hair, they both wearing a low ponytail. But it's not just looks.
Speaker 6: Once I met the Brandenburg, it's like, oh my god, this is why I talk real loud, this is why I get super excited, this is why.
Speaker 5: I think the way I do it.
Speaker 1: It's like we're all thinking on the same wave pattern, and it's amazing. I would have argued that environmental factors were a heavier weight on somebody other than genetics until this last two years.
Speaker 3: Like close friends getting together after a long time, the Brandenburgh spent a lot of time shooting a shit and drinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my husband is heavy, head to hell.
Speaker 3: That's a good thing, right. They even shared with me the gifted Steve some Jack Daniels, but he wasn't there, so I got some of that.
Speaker 7: Don't let my husband think you make it good. You know how to how to do it. You care now, Lock.
Speaker 3: The weekend was very lighthearted, lots of laughter, lots of drinking, teasing and poking fun, but there's no doubt there was a serious part of it. They all wanted to know about the thread that ran through each of them. Dennis Brandenburgh. Michelle, the sister from Michigan, was the only one to know him. Meaning of all the people in Steve's orbit, she has and you, Dennis.
Speaker 5: I was with my dad until I was two or three.
Speaker 6: Two They were married for two and he was maybe around for part of another year.
Speaker 5: That was it.
Speaker 6: So all when I was growing up, I wanted to know my dad and My mom never talked bad about him.
Speaker 5: She just said he wasn't responsible and please, wait, two, you're older.
Speaker 6: That's all because I didn't feel like to fit in on my mom's side of the family. It just seemed like I thought differently, I felt differently about things, and I just felt like there was a hole.
Speaker 5: So that's probably what he's feeling.
Speaker 3: She's talking about.
Speaker 2: Steve.
Speaker 3: There, she finally met Dennis when she was a grown up.
Speaker 5: I met him when I was twenty three.
Speaker 6: I wanted to find him, so I knew him from the time I was twenty three till I was what fifty three fifty four?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so even though she wasn't raised by him, she at least knew the guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're little jealous. I would think they would be.
Speaker 6: I would be just kind of bummed that they didn't get that a little bit of that experience.
Speaker 3: Amy didn't get any of this experience. Remember all of this, She grew up thinking her dad died before she was born.
Speaker 2: It made me start going, what was he?
Speaker 5: What was for dad?
Speaker 3: Like Dennis died in twenty nineteen, he'd been alive the whole damn time. Steve showed her as a bitch Steve brought her a piece of information that she didn't know they were working together.
Speaker 2: And then, like I said, I was hurt when I found out that he was alive all that time. And Michelle says that, you know, he was mean, he was a drinker, he was a lady's man. He didn't want to be tied down. But the fact that I didn't get to see for myself or talk to him or something, I'm a little jealous, but it's not a mean jealousy. It's like, so when she talks about him, I listened a little bit closer.
Speaker 3: There was something about the weekend that I felt like breaking things down and building them back up again. This weekend was about these sisters, now all grown up with kids and grandkids of their own, choosing their own family. For Andrea, that meant choosing Steve and wanting him to know it.
Speaker 1: It took me fifty three years, fifty four years to know what that missing part of me was. It's given me so much enjoyment, calmed my heart down.
Speaker 3: Even Michelle, who had never even heard of Stephen, wanted him in this family.
Speaker 6: You're missing your sisters, Stephen, You're missing your sisters.
Speaker 5: I don't care who your dad is.
Speaker 6: You're our brother, You're Brandenburg, You're born of Brandenberg, You're Brandenburg.
Speaker 5: End of the story.
Speaker 6: Quit hiding, Come play with us, come hang out.
Speaker 5: We're all family.
Speaker 3: The brandon Burg sisters wanted embrace Steve with open arms. They wanted him to jump into the d bend with them, drinking, hanging out and making up for lost time. Whatever the reason he had for not being there. The women thought, you know, what the hell, let's just FaceTime him, tell him he should have been here.
Speaker 7: Oh you do, I got just his way a woman. You got got crapy on my ball for you, and you didn't show off. Hey I drink it instead. You just got off work. You're first supposed to be in Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Over FaceTime, Steve seemed a little overwhelmed, but happy taking the whole scene in.
Speaker 7: There's your sister, Michelle. Hi boy, how are you good? We miss you? You look good.
Speaker 3: I know what you did too.
Speaker 7: I said, you got a bunch of sisters, Whether you like.
Speaker 5: It or not.
Speaker 7: You the baby, we get to spoil you.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: I want Steve to have this so much, to know who his people were. I wanted to be a matchmaker, not just for the dead, but for the living. Steve was a lie. He could actually embrace the family. Never knew that doesn't usually happen in my line of work. Maybe the jack and coke blurred my judgment, or maybe I just got carried away by the excitement of it all. At some point during the weekend, the girls got another idea, so they made plan to surprise Steve on his home turf. And I was cautiously optimistic, but I was running ahead of Steve. Usually that's a good thing. I could open doors for him that were hard for him to open by himself. Then he could catch up and walk through. But what if he didn't want to walk through those doors just yet? As much as he enjoyed talking to the Brandon Burr sisters, what if he still needed to forge on and find his birth father. And what if he needed more time to come to peace with Sandy. That's next time. On the finale of Hello John Doe.
Speaker 1: It was just started out really good.
Speaker 2: Well, it did not start out really good because I said just ripped the banded off in brought her in the roof, and some people were mad at me because I did it that way.
Speaker 1: He did not want to meet us and it was forced on him.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 3: John Doe is and original productions by Revelations Entertainment in association with First and Last Productions from Revelations. Our executive producers are Morgan Freeman and James Younger from First and Last. Lindsay Moreno is the executive producer. Our producing partner is Neo on Hum Media. It was written and produced by Kate Mishkin. Our editor is Katherine Saint Louis. She is also nio on Home Media's executive editor. Our executive producer is Sharah Morris. Our development producer is Ian Lindsay. Our associate producer is Rufaro Faith Maserua. Sound design and mixing by Scott Summerville. Theme and original music composed by Jesse Pearlstein. Additional music came from Epidemic Sound and Blue Dot Sessions. Vindall Faulton is our fact checker. Our production manager is Samantha Allison from my Heart Media. Dylan Fagan as our executive producer. Special thanks to Adelia Ruben at Nion Hum and Carrie Lieberman and Will Pearson at iHeartMedia. Special thanks to Ben Odo, I'm Todd Matthews. You can learn more about name us at NamUs dot com. The number for the National Center for Missing Exploited Children's Call Center is one eight hundred the loss that's one eight hundred eight four three five six seven eight. The National Sexual Assault Hotline from the Rate Abuse and Incest National Network is one eight hundred six five six four six seven three. Okay, guys, this is the end of the show. If you didn't like it, don't do anything. But if you did like it, you make sure that you rate and review the show. It helps more people to find it and hear this wonderful story. Thanks again for listening.