Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This He's Talking Cowboys Training live.
Speaker 5: From Dallas Cowboys Training Gap in Oxnard, California. Six scot tisicks any contents, tosdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: For the first time in the twenty twenty five NFL season. It is a full crew of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from Oxnard, California and the River Ridge Sports Complex.
Speaker 1: Are we cheersing? Is that what it is? Cheersing the microphoneb I mean once we get back home.
Speaker 6: We did do it the first time across MIC's.
Speaker 1: And yet it is because what what do you what? This guy listen, this guy's up always. I can't wait to attack the twenty twenty five season with you guys. This is a great way to start it.
Speaker 4: We've got training camp practice today. The pads are coming back on after the day of shells yesterday. Here's the thing, though, what's the thing Cowboys jacket? Cowboys shirt?
Speaker 1: Cowboys? What is Isaiah wearing there? What does that say?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: You got the shorts on? Did you just flash our views? I didn't know what this was going, but I'm glad, glad where it ended.
Speaker 4: He's got an NFL Network quarter zip on. That's partially why he hasn't been here up until.
Speaker 7: Why aren't you wearing the pants sorry, the short pants suit that you were wearing yesterday.
Speaker 1: Because I ready wore it. Once you wear you can't wear it again. Absolutely, that money, you can't have money.
Speaker 4: He gave it the Beamer Beamers wearing it tomorrow, Beamers rocking shorts today.
Speaker 1: If only you guys could see Beamers strut right now. So I have on quads out as what these guys are referring to. You know, it's.
Speaker 8: It's it's the season for quads out. You understanding what I'm saying. I can't really say. I really want to say that.
Speaker 1: I was like, he's going there.
Speaker 8: And today was international No Johnny Brovo day, No Johnny, No Johnny Brable, you remember you know who know Johnny?
Speaker 1: Why would it be Johnny Brobo day? That means it's leg day. That means it's leg day. Okay, Johnny Bravo was top heavy. He looks like a water burger. Cup can relate. Yes, yeah, got that water Burger Cup build people like, say, five hundred yards of lunches today for those that want to.
Speaker 4: Five hundred, five hundred dardsnod respect, I refuse when I friends the cowboysfully the clin all right, the cowboys.
Speaker 1: The cowboys are indeed working today.
Speaker 4: And I want to start by one some news and notes from Patrick Doncy Walk because this injury list is starting to grow.
Speaker 1: I don't like not just grow, but grow concerning times.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Patrick, what if we just ignored it?
Speaker 1: It doesn't make it go away.
Speaker 5: It's it's not an out of sight, out of my type deal prow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I still gotta gotta get back to the field, Okay, and so it goes. It's not entirely bad, not great though. Let's start with the offensive line. Obviously, the worst of them is Rob Jones. Offensive lineman Rob Jones suffered a fracture in his neck. He will be out for two to three months. Expectation is mid season. Barneyy setbacks. Also on the offensive line, Tyler Geiton, as we all know, had the scare with the A C. L. It is in fact intact four to six weeks is the prognosis, however, shot he got to the podium yesterday and said something very interesting, said that it could quote unquote be a couple of weeks. It just depends on how the knee reacts to the rehab and how aggressively without forcing a setback, Tyler got attacks his rehab. So as it stands, there's still a very good chance that Tyler got In will be on the field against the Philadelphia Eagles. Terrence Steele battled an ankle sprain henkle sprain earlier practice, but he has returned a few days ago as a matter of fact, so again it's not all bad news.
Speaker 1: There's some good news. He returned, Yeah, he did.
Speaker 5: Running backs room. Only one injury to report, which is Deuce Vaughan. He is battling the hamstring injury. Obviously, that is very key. Forduced. This is another training camp in which he's given an opportunity to prove himself on the field, but unfortunately, another training camp in which he is battling injury that is deleting much needed reps for the young running back in a room that you know, let's be honest, they're trying to figure out who's going to take the lead and that could be plural.
Speaker 1: Okay in the room. Brevin span Ford undisclosed leg injury.
Speaker 5: He's out for two to three weeks, so he'll likely miss the entirety of the preseason, but the great shot of being back in time to be TE three and challenge Luke school Maker, who looks great by the way for some TE two snaps. Wide receiver Paris Campbell undisclosed knee injury to be determined on him. We haven't gotten a proagnosis on Paris Campbell, but I will say it didn't look promising. I'm not going to say it's worst case.
Speaker 1: A m C IF.
Speaker 4: If that's what you heard, I think it may have been unreported, but I think MZL was the rumor.
Speaker 1: At least it may have been reported.
Speaker 5: Listen, Kyler is a credible source. Let's go with an Claris Campbell.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to report anything.
Speaker 5: I'll confirm it. I'll confirm it as it stands. It is a knee injury. Nonetheless, however you slice it. Timeline for return is TBD. Cornerback's Room, KAILN. Carson No, stop it, yeah, can't, can't stop it. Cornerbacks Room in dire straits getting more so Kayln Carson stuff for the hyper extended knee. He will miss four to six weeks. There's a chance he is back for the opener, maybe Week two home opener against the Giants. But a room that's poor in determined depth gets a bit poor. Shouts out to kyer Elim. He's taken some strides. Andrew Booth had the best practice of his camping. In the next practice he left with injury. However, Andrew Booth was back on the field yesterday in Shells.
Speaker 1: I talked to.
Speaker 5: Andrew Booth yesterday kind of off the record. I asked him how he's feeling. He said he feels great. It was just something that nagged him a little bit. He got it worked out. He said, he's a full goal. We'll see if that's the case when the pads come back on today. Safety one yea Thomas leg injury, no brace, no device, But he's not returned to practice yet, so I'm not sure if.
Speaker 1: That's a soft tissue injury or whatnot.
Speaker 5: But would love to see one year back out there sooner than later, considering his versatility is on full display and they're gonna need him both as a safety safety depth piece, but also you see.
Speaker 1: Him taking some snaps at Nickel corner as well. So let me just put this this way, leading into my next.
Speaker 5: Yes, really quickly, they did sign. They did sign Christian Matthew. He's reuniting with Matty Eberfluss. They spent a short time together in Chicago at cornerbacks. So there's another body coming in. What does that mean as far as what Matthew can do?
Speaker 1: We'll see you want for like those eleven or twelve injuries, Yeah, the way.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing that leads into my next question is we've been through seven practices, seven practices, and yet there's a list of ten to eleven twelve players with injuries, an active injury list where guys are not in practice, off guys.
Speaker 1: About eight or nine guys long.
Speaker 4: The physicality that Brian Schotenheimer wanted to establish, the physicality that he said this camp was going to be known for, we've seen it. We've seen it with the scuffles, We've seen it with the padded practices, we've seen it with the different drills along the way.
Speaker 1: Josh, is this still a good thing because of the injuries that are starting to ramp up.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know you want to be physical, you want it to be a tough training camp to get you ready for the season. But right now, with this injury list growing, is the physicality taking a toll.
Speaker 6: I think a lot of the rust is falling off.
Speaker 7: Obviously, whenever you're thudding up, when you're patted up, you're giving yourself an idea of what it's going to be like on the field. Not that these players need a reminder of that, but you need that physicality. You need that mixed with the discipline that coach Schottenheimer's trying to instill. The more you're able to do that, the hardened you're going to get on the field. I don't know this from experience. I know Isaiah will have much more insight into this, but when we talked about it, it's like it's such a far cry from what practices used to be when you used to be in pads twice a day. The more you're doing this, the more often you're thudding up. Any closer you get to the simulation of an actual game, the better these things are going to happen. Regardless if it's here or during a game, people are going to get hurt.
Speaker 6: That's the fact of the matter. That's why you have a full roster, that's why you have depth. Honestly, more of it.
Speaker 7: I don't want injuries, obviously nobody does, but we need more of this physicality.
Speaker 4: Why do you feel like it's more of a talking point Isaiah now than it was maybe back when you were playing in the league.
Speaker 8: The rules have changed, you know, the parameters in which guys are allowed to practice the team, the team activities have been restricted in terms of the physicality. We used to get physical a lot earlier than what these guys are OTAs is pretty much, uh, you know, don't touch me type of situation now. So when you start talking about guys getting calibrated to get ready to play physically one of the most physical, physically demanding sports in the in the world, you're asking these guys to do it really had a drop of a hat. They go from playing in shorts and T shirts. All of a sudden, you show up the camp for a couple of days, you know, doing the same thing, shorts and T shirts, and then it's like.
Speaker 4: All right, let's hit well, have a certain amount of practices you have to get in.
Speaker 8: Yeah, for sure, exactly, and they're doing the best they can with the rules and parameters that they have set forth, but it's not the best per se for the players, even though the rules and parameters that are set forth are for the players.
Speaker 1: We're starting to see that injuries are peering.
Speaker 8: Across the board. This isn't just a Dallas Cowboys state. There's a lot of injuries around the league right now, acls galore. I mean, there's always an injury of the year. But the reality is, when you start hitting guys, you have to your body. Not only the body parts that you're hitting have to get adapted to it, but your footwork has to get adapted right, your leverage, your eyes, everything has to get back calibrated again. And in that calibration process you have to go through some bumps, and unfortunately the Dallas Cowboys have sustained their number of bumps early on in this process. You're just hopeful, and you understand this as a coach, you understand this as an organization.
Speaker 1: Injuries are going to happen.
Speaker 8: It's just a known thing now, which is why you come and the scouting department has as many guys as they can ready in the chamber because they know somebody's going down.
Speaker 1: It's just a part of the process.
Speaker 5: It's like what Shoddy said, and that what you're saying right now, Isaiah. It's about building up calluses right now and in that calibrations, like Stanbeck said, you're going to have some bumps and bruises. But when you look at some of these injuries, obviously Rob Jones, you know, the fracture bone in his neck, you could attribute that to some physicality, which football is going to football, right Tyler Guidon, you know the reason he's out because his knee got rolled up on, right, So that's not that's footwork, that's that's a football injury. But that's not necessarily a tribute to the physicality. A guy got pushed down and rolled into his knee. Things like that duce Von soft tissue injury, hamstring he's dealing with that one year, Thomas, likely a soft tissue injury.
Speaker 1: Those things just happen when you're playing football.
Speaker 5: When it comes to potentially turning down the physicality, I like that the Cowboys are maxing out the physicality within the parameters of the collective bargain agreement they're doing. They're pushing exactly where they need to push right up against the wall versus what we've seen in the past, which is a team and we've seen this as recently as last season, so many extra rest days.
Speaker 1: But then did that translate into wins?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Also, did it translate into durability? Hell no.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys were easily arguably the worst or the most injured team, especially at key positions with impact players, of any of the thirty two teams in the league. So where did that extra rest translate on the field for the Cowboys?
Speaker 1: That didn't.
Speaker 5: They put a lot of guys on injured reserve arguably. So I like where the Cowboys are. I like what they're doing. And like Isaiah said, this is not exclusive to the Cowboys. Go and look at the injury reports. For not injury reports, but go follow the reports coming out of other training camps.
Speaker 1: They're guys going down left and right at key ziars. Yeah, for the year, Cowboys have dodged some very real bullets thus far.
Speaker 5: Because this time, yeah, this time last year, we were talking about a guy who toys ACL doing a non contact individual drill around a path. Right, So Cowboys, I think they're doing just fine. And yeah, they've been bitting a little bit, but keep going.
Speaker 4: I like the way you mentioned it as building callouses. I like that metaphor, and I'm going to take it a step for further because I think right now you're still doing that and you're able to do that. But when you're building calluses, sometimes if you attack whatever you are doing super quickly and you get into it too quickly, sometimes it turns into a blister.
Speaker 1: That blister pops, it feels bad for a little bit, and then it callous is over.
Speaker 4: I think we're in that stage, yes, I think we're in that stage of training camp where we look up and we're seeing these injuries and it's every day. It's one or two guys and it's happening, and it may be a minor thing. It may be a longer thing like a guid in situation where it's four to six weeks. Again, knock on wood hasn't been the severe side of it yet. That would be the blister.
Speaker 1: Popping for me is if there's a severe injury.
Speaker 4: Right now, you've got a blister there, it's there, it's gonna be there for a little bit, and it's gonna hurt for a little bit because you're missing time in practice.
Speaker 1: But as long as you keep it from.
Speaker 4: Popping, and it's fine there for a little bit, it's gonna sting, but then it'll callous over and you're gonna be fine from that point forward, and hopefully that'll.
Speaker 1: Help you when you get to the season. You've been in training camps.
Speaker 4: With guys that mentored Brian Schottenheimer. Pete Carroll specifically is one that comes to mind, and he's talked a lot about his influence from Pete Carroll in the way that he's kind of been around it.
Speaker 1: How much have you seen from training camp so far in the weeks that.
Speaker 4: You've been out here that has relayed to what Pete Carroll once did during his time with the Seahawks.
Speaker 8: Yeah's really from what I can understand, it's a copy and paste and that's not something bad. That means that to coach Carroll. You know, Coach Carroll has had a lot of success in his career both about the collegiate and professional ranks. Obviously he's back in it now with RYTHM Raiders, so I would imagine that they're doing very similar things. Yeah, But I mean it's about energy, it's about competition, real competition. When I say, real competition, let's keep it one hundred and in this, in this professional setting, a lot of times you can do really good things if you're a number two or number three guy, but it doesn't really matter because you're never going to get that number one spot and you never even though you might have the best week, they're not going to patch you on your back and say get in there, go get some reps with the ones because you're not a one.
Speaker 1: That is changing here with Shaddy.
Speaker 8: If you have a good week and you're competing and doing your job better than somebody else that's that's ahead of you on the depth chart, that person's coming out, you're going in. So you get paid for doing well, you know what I'm saying, Like, you get the gratification of, hey, my hard work is paying off, and that is very important for athletes to know that your work is not going without being noticed. So that's changed around here at the energy level, coaches are jumping around. So yeah, sometimes you gotta fake it so you make it. But if you create the culture, you create the environment of positivity, you create the environment of you're blessed to do this, You create the environment that you want to be here and I want to do this. Yeah my body hurts. Yeah, you're tired. So the heck what, Let's have fun. We're playing a kids game against the best in the world. Let's make the best of this environment.
Speaker 7: And to your point, I don't think you were necessarily seeing that over the last two seasons. You were seeing guys that were working hard and like showing it on the field that weren't necessarily rewarded the very next week after an impressive performance.
Speaker 6: There were these arbitrary rules set in.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, well, this.
Speaker 7: Guy carried the rock for this amount of time, but like, and you don't have him replicate that success the next week. I don't think that's the case for this team right now. I don't think that's the case for Shotennheimer's staff.
Speaker 8: And that really helps your depth chart because I guess I'm alluding to a lot right now. Tyler Booker right comes in here, obviously first round, pick all those things, he gets, thrust it in with the ones. Tyler Booker had some rough days early on in camp.
Speaker 1: So what do they do?
Speaker 8: Tyler Boker, you're out. You're going to the twoes player. You gotta work your way back into it. You don't just get you'll just receive. You gotta have to earn your spot. So, hey, who do I don't remember who took his stop?
Speaker 1: Jones? Yeah, Rob Jones.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right, Rob Jones took a spot. Unfortunately he's out right now. But Rob Jones came in and was applying pressure. But what did you see after practice, Rob Jones working with Tyler Booker? Is this breeze competition? Everybody gets better when it's true competition. One of the reasons why I stepped away from the league is because it started be coming about about guys being slotted. They started be coming about relationships with coaches and if I have, if I'm performing better than you, I.
Speaker 1: Should get rewarded for that, right, And that wasn't the case, and I was tired of it.
Speaker 8: I got to the point I was like, you know what, it doesn't matter what I do anymore because I'm never gonna get that spot, right.
Speaker 1: I don't have that paycheck, I'm not getting that spot. What's the point of doing it? Right? So, like, what's the point?
Speaker 8: That's not the case here, And that trickles all the way down to the lowest man on the totem pole and that creates this culture of everybody can get it, everybody can contribute. If you're doing something positive, we will see you and we will put you in a position to help this team be successful.
Speaker 5: And to that point, it is in fact permeating throughout the locker room already when you hear guys like Donovan Ezraku, a rookie who has no knowledge of the league until this training camp, comes in and starts talking about how he's going toe to toe verbally and on the field with Dante Fowler the defensive ends room. They've established the point system, and he and Dante on a couple of plays, they're challenging each other who's going to get to the quarterback first. And Ezraeku got to the quarterback first to one particular plane a two minute drill, looked at Dante and said, where are you at?
Speaker 1: I asked Dante about it yesterday.
Speaker 5: He smiled and said, young guys got some young guys got some gas behind him, but guess what I'm coming as well. And then they both are. After that they said the same thing, which is this defensive endroom can be special. Why because every single guy they believe, every single guy can get After the opposing quarterback.
Speaker 1: So not only do you have that heightened level of.
Speaker 5: Competition that this coaching staff and this culture has started to establish, but you also have the camaraderie between guys. You talk about Rob, right, we talk about Rob Jones in the moment getting first team reps over the rookie first round pick. But then guess what, like Isaiah said, after practice, what's Rob Jones doing. He's tutoring Tyler Booker, the person he's competing, right, So that's what you're seeing.
Speaker 1: So it does trickle down.
Speaker 5: It's starting at the top with Schottenheimer, going throughout his assistant coaching staff and his coordinators, and it's being felt in the locker room.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of things that we have to hit when we get into the position battles and the way that it works. That's one thing that has stuck out to me in this camp is that you haven't seen in the past. You've seen guys work with guys, but the fact that they're directly competing for the same job and they're still and they're still working with I know we've engineered a couple of times, and it's important that is a huge thing that that's the culture that Brian Shott and he's talking about. That is the example of what that means to be a true teammate and be in that situation.
Speaker 6: That's camaraderie building, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And that's the type of stuff.
Speaker 4: It's not just the energy and the fun that they have in the pads and the props and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: That is the culture, is what he's doing there. And it's unfortunate.
Speaker 8: I know, we gotta get a break, but but real quick, where that shows up is I now can cheer for no see if I'm gas in the game right and I'm and I'm Dante Fowler Jewelry Junior, and there's a heck and there's there's a big third down that's coming up, and I'm absolutely can get it, and I'm like, you know what, I can stay in here, right because I really don't have faith in a guy that's kind of come in and do it, you know, to come in behind me to make the play. So I'm gonna stay in here and I'm gonna give it my best, but I know my best isn't gonna do it. Guess what, I'm now more opt and willing to tap myself out the game to let my guy Donovan get in the game and go make give them a high five on the way by, and hey, go get it. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like, that's what we're talking about instead of guys then being selfish and just trying to stay in in there because guess what, Yeah, those other guys never really got the reps right, I don't believe in those guys.
Speaker 1: Now I'm willing to step out right unless somebody else can.
Speaker 4: I need a new contract, Like Dante, he's on a one year deal about all about winning, and hey, that might be the situation and the running back room as well. And when we come back offensive line affecting the running back room with all these injuries, and is anybody sticking out out of that group by committee?
Speaker 1: That running back room by committee? More talking cowboys.
Speaker 9: Right after this, AT and T has a new guarantee because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by.
Speaker 10: Yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area, not guarantee. Place item in the bagging area. Place in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 9: AT and T guarantees connectivity, You depend on deals you want in service you deserve.
Speaker 1: We make it right.
Speaker 9: Burms and Conditions Supply is a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details at and T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a.
Speaker 1: Bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 4: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 3: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 4: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Back here on Talking Cowboys Live from the River Ridge Soccer Complex Sports Complex.
Speaker 1: SIT's all of it together, Talk Cowboys Complex. Right now, You're darn right. It is Carton, It's training camp.
Speaker 4: D Isaiah Stanba Patrick Noci watched John Rodriguez with Chris Beam running the whole show in the front. I'm Kyle yeomans Uh running backs. This running back Battle has been definitely to watch.
Speaker 1: Is it heating up?
Speaker 10: It is?
Speaker 1: I want to I want to get to that in a second.
Speaker 4: Is the offensive line and the rotation that we've seen in the injuries that have started to stack up Josh on this offensive line. Is that something that's affecting just how much that running back competition can heat up at training camp?
Speaker 1: Of course it is.
Speaker 7: I mean you have to take into account the chemistry of the offensive line feeding into the success of the running backs.
Speaker 6: But something that I.
Speaker 7: Really really enjoyed on Girls Talk, Boys Talk this morning when they were talking about the running back by committee approach is that it doesn't necessarily feel like a committee. It feels more like a collective and when the running backs are able to sort of spell in for each other, they all have juice in one form or another. Like at this point in time, it could it could change from today till the start of preseason to the start of the regular season. But right now, from what I'm seeing, every single guy is contributing in a big way. It sucks to see duce Vaughan right now dealing with that hamstring injury. He's not been able to be in on it. But when he is out there on that field. You're getting juice from Ducevaughn. You're getting juice from every single one of these guys. If you had to ask me right now, who's starting, I think it's Javonte Williams.
Speaker 6: And I genuinely think that, oh.
Speaker 1: See, that's interesting. That's gonna be a fun thing.
Speaker 4: But hear me out, because I bet you are like as a group of four, I bet you all are answers are different.
Speaker 6: Well here's my full answer.
Speaker 1: Or maybe maybe not all of them, but they're going to be different.
Speaker 7: My full answer is that it's Davante Williams. He has the most juice right now currently, Like I said, that can change. And then Jayden Blue is your receiving sort of third down threat my opinion. And then if you're thinking in terms of like how the Lions were treating David Montgomery, like I think Miles Sanders is your kind of like second half bell cow, you know, he's that kind of those fresh legs to come in and get you some crucial first downs. I think if you're playing, that's just a scenario that I've kind of cooked up just from watching these guys there year. And I don't think that Miles Sanders, like doesn't have jews. It's just a matter of the fact of seeing him with fresh legs, you know, in the second half of a game. I think that's kind of where you want to see him. But it could change who would.
Speaker 5: Be your starter right now, you know, coming into camp, I am on the record of saying that Javonte Williams likely had a slight and I do meanin we all were likely. But now as we go into this next padded practice, I think Miles Sanders, So I think it's Miles Sanders. So for me right now, it's Mouths Sanders because what I've seen from Miles Sanders also that's impressed me is obviously we've watched him in his time with.
Speaker 1: The Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 5: I don't know that he's ever been or that I've ever noticed as much as I'm noticing now he's more physical than people give him credit for. Yeah, he definitely has the ability to do the dirty work and the heavy lifting in those in those dirty gaps.
Speaker 7: Point though he's a vet at this point, I think he has to be a little more physical than we've seen him in the past. I think that's why you're seeing that now hence the second half sort of votes.
Speaker 5: So to that point, take Week one, for example, against the Philadelphia Eagles, I specifically as shoddy with you having questions that left tackle do you how do you balance giving trust to your left tackle against that defensive front in Philadelphia versus scheming for it? And one of the answers he said was against an elite defensive front and defensive tackles, what do you do?
Speaker 1: You pound the dawn ball and you showed up there blank right.
Speaker 5: I think Miles Sanders would give you a little bit more edge in doing that than Javonte Williams, who are not to say that Javonte can't, but again, it just feels like Miles is more prepared to take that load, take on that load up front. So for me, it would be Miles Sanders, Davonte Williams, and then Jayden Blue. I do agree with you there, Jay and Blue is really taking advantage of those added reps that would be split between he and duce Vaughan, which is why it's critical that ducevont get back to the field sooner than later.
Speaker 8: Oh guys, come on, First of all, let me be on record stating that there's not a drastic difference between these guys.
Speaker 1: Know, That's why we keep saying the slight, slight, slight start by that.
Speaker 8: Also, let me start by stating running back by committee is not a bad thing.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, I don't see it though. Last year I don't like. I don't see it that way.
Speaker 6: Last year was a bad thing.
Speaker 8: I'm on record, I'm on record for a very long time stating that if the offensive line take care of the business, it doesn't really matter who's towing the rock in the NFL, because they are all capable of producing. Right, what is the difference maker? Okay, let's get into that. The difference usually comes into are you protecting the ball number one?
Speaker 1: Number one?
Speaker 8: Okay, protect the ball number two? Are you able to generate splash plays?
Speaker 1: Number three? Can you pass block? Those are the three things that really differentiae player from the next.
Speaker 8: Okay, So now let's go to the guys that we're talking about, Miles Sanders Andvonte Williams.
Speaker 1: They're very similar to me, to me in terms of who has more juice.
Speaker 8: From what I've seen at camp, I think Williams is is more is significantly quicker than I gave him credit for prior to come into camp. He has more bursts and more explosiveness than I assumed that he had, so for me, I put.
Speaker 1: Him ahead of Sanders from that.
Speaker 8: From that regard, I think that he has more speed and acceleration and the ability to get up the top speed more than Miles Sanders as right.
Speaker 4: Now, interesting because I think I would say the opposite. That's why that's why we have four different eyes here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's close. I mean I don't like it's it's not.
Speaker 8: Like it's it's it's not a It's not a four or five versus a four to three, right, I mean we're talking about just from what I'm seeing. When Fonte Williams hits a hole, he gets through there and you can see the acceleration at the next level. That's what I see in terms of who has the best vision, Jayden Blue Blue has had the best vision to me, out of everybody.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 8: I know everybody talks about his speed a lot of time. I know, I honestly haven't seen it yet. I've seen I haven't seen it yet. I'm looking forward to seeing looking forward to seeing it in the preseason.
Speaker 1: I don't think we have seen it fully uncorked yet. Out here, we may not.
Speaker 4: That's the thing about these training camp practices. Tuesday with maybe Tuesday.
Speaker 1: I think the play that I've really seen it was the deep play one handed go route. I'm talking about toting the rocket. Yeah.
Speaker 8: In terms of vision, his vision and his patience at the line of scrimmage is pretty dog on good for a young guy man. He'll put his foot in the ground, he'll jump a hole, boom, he'll accelerate. That's what you really need in this scheme that we're running, rather his own scheme type of type of offense. There's a lot of wait and see. You guys remember the old school uh Broncos with Terrell Davis. There was a lot of wait and see press press, press, press, press, one cut, get vertical, right, press press, press, ress, press, make one guy missed.
Speaker 1: Get vertical. Like a lot of that's a typically what we're gonna see.
Speaker 8: It's going to be a slower, methodical, sorry, methodical type of offense.
Speaker 1: And that's the expect that's my expectation of this office.
Speaker 8: And then you have the splash plays and the clear eyes half a running and second half in running and then obviously in the play action.
Speaker 5: So my question to you say where because one of the tenants. You're right, the three tenants for running back. One of the tenants was protect the ball? Yes, where you with Jayson Blue?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 5: Now he's not putting it on the ground in camp, but that that was a red flag for him coming into the league.
Speaker 1: Where's your comfort level with with him? Right there? Went now on that.
Speaker 8: I haven't seen it on the ground, So I guess my carmera level was high at this point. But again, wait till Tuesday?
Speaker 1: What was that? How many practices? This is gonna be? Okay? So this is number three and I do know this, This is not This is not to knock Jayme and Blue at all.
Speaker 5: I do see the progression as far as protecting the Yeah, the question will be how does that translate to the.
Speaker 1: Eagles doing it and the defensive line of the Giants doing it. So that's what I mean.
Speaker 8: That's a different mindset when you know that you're not going to the ground intentionally. When you know that you're not intentionally going to the ground. Now, guys are ended up on the ground obviously it's football, and you're trying to stay up.
Speaker 1: If he get tangled.
Speaker 8: Tuesday, I don't think that the other teams necessarily don't care about. So I think you'll get a better sense once that competitive level steps up. Yeah, what it really looks like it as a game.
Speaker 5: As it stands, James Blue is, he's on my roster, He's on my active fifty three. I just need to see him consistently protect the ball as he's been doing in camp. Just keep doing it, and you're really gonna he's gonna push Sanders and Williams.
Speaker 1: Is that group of three?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 6: That's my three Alam Sanders, Blue Active.
Speaker 1: It's pretty much over by that point.
Speaker 8: I think they're gonna try to force the hand of Lok. They're gonna try to find a way to get lit necessarily counting.
Speaker 5: Don't count him in the running backs conversation as far as active, as like it's three and then my full back quas I believe that they're going to try to Hunter makes the Ross find we're not we're not talking about Hunter in my in my perspective, he's going to make the RUSS. So when I say I'm I'm carrying three running backs right now, I'm not talking about Hunter because he's going to make the roster as like a standalone.
Speaker 1: He's his own island, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And guys like Phil Maffa, I'm just are destined to be a well season.
Speaker 8: Possibly, these guys are gonna get a lot opporunities at the running back position in the preseason.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing. Still ten days away from the preseason game.
Speaker 8: We can have our opinions today at that position group, we won't know a lot until the game start.
Speaker 5: I'm looking forward to seeing MafA do some bruise work. He's going to be a bruiser in the preseason.
Speaker 6: I believe there's just so many names. I I think it is a commitative room.
Speaker 7: And like I said, what I really liked was running back by uh, not committee, but collective. I think that's it's It's something to watch obviously, but I think we're really going to get some answers uh in the preseason.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 5: Cavant Turpin is in the mix also, Yeah, as far as being utilized as a running back.
Speaker 1: But he's going to make the rosters. Ye, he's gonna be one of the mean as far as because he's getting some reps.
Speaker 5: So the reps that they give Kavan say gets removed from the other running back, So that means you really need to take advantage of them.
Speaker 4: Every single I'm on record just as much as you guys were talking about earlier. I'm on a record I hate running back by committee. I'm just not a fan of it.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. I like how many teams don't have that? How many? That's the thing is, it's rare to not have it, Yes, exactly, Yeah, I mean it's.
Speaker 4: Rare to have Yeah, to have a bell cow theymore, but you don't have that, and so you got to make what do?
Speaker 1: What's what's do? But you want one of these guys to emerge, you know, you don't want all.
Speaker 4: Three guys to just be kumbay all all year long because they're all going to have six hundred yards.
Speaker 1: I don't mind that.
Speaker 8: I would listen as long as the offense, yeah, is consistently getting four yards of pop.
Speaker 1: I am okay. I don't give a dog on who has it in their house.
Speaker 8: As long as they're not putting it on the ground, and as long as they have an occasional two or three splash players out of that position group, I don't care who it comes from.
Speaker 4: That I truly don't see but that's like fun fun Matt magical world that doesn't exist. All three guys doing that, then that means you have the perfect line, situation or line. Somebody's gonna fall short and somebody's gonna step in.
Speaker 5: I will see that point, and I'll raise you the following point. Ride the hot hand whoever. That might be the problem with last year and the way they come No, I'm we're talking about on record.
Speaker 1: I'm on the record.
Speaker 5: I hate the committee, your point, whoever, whomever, who emerges as the hot hand, rather it be week one, week two, you ride that because if you look at last season, the reason it took them so long for Rico Dawdle to really start becoming that lead back was because they stuck to the archetype that they had already pre established before they went into the season. But when Rico was the only one really showing the juice, that was the hot head at the time. Had you continued to ride Rico, what does this rushing attack look like over the totality of last year, if you didn't strap them, if you didn't handcuff him because you were saying, oh, it's committee's committee's committee.
Speaker 1: You look at these guys, And I.
Speaker 5: Like the word collective if you look at them as a collective, and you say Miles Sanders, Davonte Williams, assuming this is the three that make the active roster, not County Hunter, Lifkey, Miles Sanders, Davonte Williams, Jayson Blue. You say, go out there, and whoever has the best game today has the best shot of starting next week, and then rents and repeat until that person, if that player cools down, if that player starts.
Speaker 6: To cool, says the most consistent collective.
Speaker 1: Collective. Yeah, I'm with collect committee. Collective, it's the same thing.
Speaker 7: But but let me let me just say this running back by committee has given us a sour taste over the past three seasons. Right, we haven't had that guy that guy considerably in the last three seasons. When other teams do it, there is more of a cohesive understanding of one running back over the others taking the ball.
Speaker 1: That's what I like. That's what I like. That's what I don't like.
Speaker 7: What we've been given in the running back by coach over the last three that's what I like. We have to change that, and I think this coaching staff is doing that now.
Speaker 5: The week Polot Dynamic was very effective with a change of pace back as RB three.
Speaker 1: We haven't had that. I haven't had it. I don't like sea words. All right.
Speaker 4: When we come back, I've got some stock ups stock down for the guys here. I'm gonna tell you. I'm going to give you a topic. Whether it's a staff or an individual.
Speaker 1: Or a unit.
Speaker 4: You're going to tell me if the stock is pointing up or if the stock is pointing down. I got some guys to talk about here. When we come back with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 2: Right after this, they say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf.
Speaker 1: And sports turf equipment.
Speaker 2: United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: As America's leading business lender, Bank of America is on your corner and in your corner. With over nine billion dollars in business loans and more than one hundred and forty business specialists right here in North Texas, we help businesses thrive, so communities prosper.
Speaker 6: What would you let the power to do?
Speaker 3: Learn more?
Speaker 11: Bank of America dot com slash Local Business. Bank of America Official Bank of FIFA Club World Cup twenty twenty five Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation, already reserved.
Speaker 9: AT and T has a new guarantee. Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout.
Speaker 10: By yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: Not guarantee.
Speaker 10: Place item in the bagging area. Place item in the bagging area.
Speaker 8: You know what.
Speaker 9: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right terms and conditions. Survive is a att dot com slash guarantee for details. AT and T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of black Rifle coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee. Today to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This segment is brought to you.
Speaker 4: By in Visa Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. It's also brought to you by the Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan. We are at that point of the season where there's some fan of the year, Little Captain Morgan.
Speaker 1: We need a bean cam. The bean cam.
Speaker 4: We're gonna put it up on solo afterwards. Very nice presented by Captain Morgan, trying to do a little photoshop.
Speaker 11: AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah there yet?
Speaker 4: Oh no, all right ever skip leg stock up, stock down, gentlemen, cowboys have gone through seven practices, two of those padded.
Speaker 1: We will have practice number eightven.
Speaker 4: That's seven practices, going into practice number eight today and this practice number three, kads, I'm gonna do a little stock up, stock down, and at the end, I want you guys to throw in a couple names that you're saying, stock up or stock down. But I'm gonna start with three topics here that since the start of training camp, this is the direction they've been heading.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna start with the overarching one, Brian Schottenheimer stock up and stock down? Stock up? Okay?
Speaker 5: Why is that everything that he was saying over the course of the off season, we're seeing it put into play on the practice field. One thing he didn't mention in the off season was the type of disciplinarian that he would be. But we're seeing his late great father Marty being channeled through example.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, the guy's got into a skirmish two or three times.
Speaker 5: Three times with fifteen minutes left in practice, Schottenheimer killed practice, said, oh, you guys want to fight, then let's fight. Made everybody, everybody from franchise players to the nineth man on the roster and lineup and run sideline the sideline for the remaining fifteen minutes before then giving them an.
Speaker 1: Earfull on why he's not going to accept that.
Speaker 5: We're starting to see Shoddy is not simply a great communicator and a player's type coach. But he's that same players coach that looked the player in the face and tell him straight up when you're messing up, and then make him accountable and make and penalize them for it. So for me, a stock up, I see everything translating so far. Again, we'll see how it happens when you play the Eagles and the Giants and the Commanders and all these other teams. Time will tell, But as it stands, I like this hard nosed Marty ball type feel that I'm that I'm seeing out here.
Speaker 4: You could have done that run yesterday, the back and forth. Yeah it wasn't really gas, it wasn't, but it was just getting there and getting back. There were no timers. Maybe maybe that's the next step show, Maybe that's the next step. Is it's like, okay, here's the warning shot.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 5: Maybe you know, sate sideline pain, I'm sorry next time. Yeah, traumatic looks like one of those.
Speaker 1: All right, stock stock down, you guys agree, stock up?
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gonna give Brian Schottenheimer stuck up.
Speaker 7: But like a cryptocurrency, because it's not real yet, you know what I'm saying, Like it's it's going up steadily.
Speaker 6: It's like my bitcoin right now where it's kind of like it's.
Speaker 1: Stead going how many of those? But it ain't real because we haven't played.
Speaker 6: A football game yet.
Speaker 7: Man, Once we are playing football games, once it is real, the statistics are real, all of those things happen, then I can actually take that money out.
Speaker 1: But we're talking about this point.
Speaker 7: Like I said, it's stuck up, but it ain't order of one in a quarter of one of your quarter of one point to to to to one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's my bitcoin situation, right.
Speaker 1: I want myn equivalent wasn't but I can't use it yet. Offensive line stock up or stock down to the beginning of can because I have.
Speaker 4: A couple different there's a different few folds to this. Go ahead and give me your ants down as a stock down stock.
Speaker 8: Down reasons being injuries sustained and also I have not seen the dominance that I was hoping to see as a collective unit collective units more than one person collective unit.
Speaker 6: Up front, you can't do offensive line by committee.
Speaker 1: I heard the snort le I'm so done, thing continued.
Speaker 5: I'm going I'm going stock down because of injuries, like I said, Terrence Steele missed some practices because of injury. He's back, but you know he wasn't out there for a couple Tyler guy and he goes down with injury. Now you're trying to figure out left tackle. Rob Jones was showing you some things. Now he's out for two to three nicks with two to three months with the fracture and his nick. I mean, what you're seeing right now is Cooper BB be consistent and improve. You're seeing Tyler Smith still still very much be Tyler Smith. Tyler Booker is flashing, but like you said, there were things he struggled with in the beginning, which is why he went down to second team. So other than Cooper BB and Tyler Smith, those are my two positives. The other three positions between injuries and flux, it's stuck down at the moment.
Speaker 4: It's funny because I would say, Josh, my confidence in the depth of the offensive line has gone up, but the fact that you're having to use it so quickly is going The overarching stock is going down.
Speaker 1: I like what we've seen from Nate Thomas.
Speaker 4: I think he's stepped into a left tackle roll yesterday and played well. I'm excited to see what he does with the pads on today. I think that's going to be a big step forward. I like what we've seen from guys like Bass and Hoffman.
Speaker 1: That's genuinely what we've seen at right tackle, not at the guard spot. He was at right tackle.
Speaker 7: Name you didn't mention, which I'm curious about. I guess your evaluation so far is awesome Richards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I think Richards has had a decent camp. He's not perfect, not perfect, and I think there's there's growing that's still happening there.
Speaker 1: But they've put him at left tackle too, and I think.
Speaker 6: You are you are you giving? Are you giving? Not awesome?
Speaker 7: But they have a left tackles a tom Are you giving him the edge over awesome right now at.
Speaker 1: The moment they are.
Speaker 4: I would have started awesome first and seen what he did, But now I get why. I mean, I saw that he had a great practice yesterday. No, Pats still had a good practice. I want to see what it is today and then I'll give you a better answer of that. But I like what we've seen from the death so far. It's the death. But I also don't like what we've seen from two first round picks, so you're down and your right tackle. So I'm down over all, down overall, but the death I like.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 6: The suck is down.
Speaker 1: But if you want to tell me that it was up because of the death, I don't think I would argue with you. But I'm I'm still down.
Speaker 7: Stock is down, but I'm definitely holding on the offensive line. You have to hold out hope for for this one.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 6: If you actually have stock in this, it's down, but you're not panicking yet.
Speaker 4: It's kind of the running back position. Same thing you're holding out. It's kind of like that.
Speaker 1: Let's say, defensive line, you gotta break it out. You got to break you see, and that's what's gonna make it. It's like training. I'm trying to massage those brain muscles a little bit. We're trying to get you going. It is combined defensive line upper down. What are you thinking, I'm gonna I'm go ahead, I'm going up. I'm going up. I like what I've seen in terms of.
Speaker 8: The schemes in the position of flex that this defensive line room collectively okay, uh, presents for mat and he is in his bag. I'm not going to say all the things that I'm seeing because I think some of these things he wants to keep tight to his chest, but he is playing around with every defensive look that you can ever imagine. He's playing around with all the different personnel groupings within those schemes that you can ever imagine. Because of this this competition word that we keep talking about, there's gonna be plenty of guys that are going to be collectively making an impact on that defensive front.
Speaker 5: I do like the competition as a sea where I agree with say I'm going with stock Up. That's That's what I was going to lead with. And I'm going to say stock up because though there are some question marks at Nose Tackle, you know, what are they doing with Manzi Smith?
Speaker 1: What is that that latest version of the experiment look like?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: I look.
Speaker 5: I like what I'm saying from Salomon Thomas. I love what I'm seeing from OSA. You're you're getting the Osa of prime Os. It looks like j Toya pleasantly surprised me yesterday by being awarded some first team reps. So there's some progress there and I think remind me of in terms of just looks Videvelle Nope.
Speaker 1: I wanted to just to say I want him to put a visor on. If you put a visor on, maybe you would.
Speaker 5: Know reflective Nope, dark uh NFC Easca, North Green Bay.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Gilbert, Yeah, there it is there. It is there, It is there, it is I looked up and I was like that, Oh my gosh, yeah, yeah, I see where you're going here. It was a black vice around He's Gilbert Brown. But so there there are there are questions. Now you're right there, So there are question marks on the defensive tackle. There are at least some positives there. And then when you look at the defensive end group, you could not be more up. You could not be more up. So as a whole, I mean you could be. There could be a guy named Michaeh. Parsons out there.
Speaker 1: I'm factory.
Speaker 5: That would be you'd be He'll be there, surely I'm factory. Michael in you Again, you could not be more up with this defensive end room. So, if anything, the d's are carrying this grade. But there are some positives mixed in with some of the concerns at DT.
Speaker 7: You gotta love what Salmon Thomas is doing so far. You gotta love what you see from Osa and the depth behind it. I mean, like I said, Ja is doing an impressive job out there with the twos and like you said, getting reps with the ones as well. Other than that, the defensive ends are doing excellent. Like you have to love the the depth that you have there easy is just a monster.
Speaker 6: He's getting in people's business. It's almost defensive.
Speaker 1: Smirk. You have to love it.
Speaker 7: There is a big question mark for me at defensive tackle, but so far, so good as far as defensive line goes.
Speaker 6: As a whole, stock is way.
Speaker 1: Up on defense and really quickly.
Speaker 5: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Perry on Winfree is he's he's standing out. I'm not going to say he's out there, you know, taking over, but he's standing out. So that goes to the DT equation.
Speaker 6: I saw Tyrus Wheat blowing a dude up yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, we we when it comes to yeah yeah, we's a sleeper when you see that no one out the game wrecks in the preseason. You know what position? Defensive end?
Speaker 8: What do you know?
Speaker 4: Anybody y'all want to throw out their stock ups, stock down stock that's a big stock and I'm going to leave it there.
Speaker 1: What about Joe Milton? Stock up? Stock down down? I think so too.
Speaker 6: Stock down on Joe Milton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why is that? Well, there's there's a lot of pretsons. Why but we don't have to at the time.
Speaker 6: Real quick, But are you looking forward to seeing him in the preseason.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we're gonna We're gonna see a ton of and he has turn his stock around.
Speaker 6: But if your stocks down, I mean you're just like, okay, well then you know no.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, don't stock mark. It's the stock market in an instant can it can explode.
Speaker 1: He's going to be here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they invested anybody else names go receivers, Yeah, receivers stocking up, stock.
Speaker 5: Down, mingle mingo down, that said mingles up. Let me say, let me say this practice squad Holden is open. Yeah, yes, seriously, he's.
Speaker 1: Got a good camp.
Speaker 6: So I'm dead serious.
Speaker 7: Practice squad stuck up because you're seeing some guys step up here. And we've talked about it even in the last seasons where it's like the when you needed receivers to step up to that wide receiver three position last year, it wasn't really I mean, it happened in spurts. One guy would have day, another guy would have a day. Treh On Holden has been very consistent so far. I like watching him. Whenever I get out there, I kind of look for his number. And even Ryan Flinoy yep, I like what you're seeing from him so far.
Speaker 6: Uh, just building a topic about it.
Speaker 1: Change his number. We gotta go. Gam is gonna start unplugging microphones to start spam.
Speaker 4: But we also forgot. We forgot to give our comments of the day. Jeremy said, Isaiah hitting the punching bag was crazy week. Not gonna lie dot dot do crazy weezy crazy crazy week week crazy crazy all right for Isaiah still back, Patrick, you know see Walker, Josh Rodriguez, I'm Kyle Yom. It's Chris Beam in the back with more Talking Cowboys coming up on Monday.
Speaker 1: We'll see you from Oxnard, California next week.
Speaker 4: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.