Speaker 1: There will come a day when I can sit down and reflect on all this and think about the career that I've had. But it's like I still want to keep going. We still have more championships to win. I still have more to do in the postseason, in the regular season.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hello, welcome back to Dodgers territory. Katie Wu Clipasiasatchi, Alana Rizzo on assignment. We're going to skip all the intros, the usuals because we have a very special guest in joining us today. He doesn't need an introduction. Gonna give him one anyway, very dramatic third basement for the Los Angeles Dodgers twenty twenty six All Star, the record holder for most homels at Dodgers Stadium, Max Venci, thanks for joining us, of course.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me on. Guys, do it MUDs get a starter.
Speaker 3: Woo.
Speaker 2: All right, let's just go right into it. The Colorado series came at a great time. I was not there, but you guys looked much better on TV. What was kind of the overall mindset coming in on Monday quick three game series? Was it just hey, frush Slate, let's take care of business here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's the same mindset that we have every single time when we show up to the park. You know, you have a game in front of you, you try to take care of business. You do whatever you have to to win that game, and then you move on to the next to you. You know, you kind of don't let anything else enter into the conversation. And you know, that's that's a formula that's been warning for us for a lot of years, and we always continue to preach that. And sometimes when you go through rough stretches, it gets a little bit harder to just focus on the day and not think about what's been happening, you know, the previous several games. But you know, for us, it was kind of just to get back to basics and you know, just trying to focus on the day that we had ahead of us. And you know, I thought we did a really good job of that.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm generally somebody that that hates coors Field. A beautiful ballpark and all that, but I hate when when you guys go to coors Field, does this feels like something bad is gonna happen? But would you say that series like just so to wake the boys up, came at the right time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean sure, you know, it's always a great place to go to go in and hit. The opposite of that, though, is sometimes it's not a great place to go in in pitch. Uh. So I for me, I was very impressed with how all of our pitchers handled the environment, you know, starting with snow game one, and then Lower did a great job Game two, and Rokie looked great yesterday. Uh. You know, just the pitching staff I thought did a really great job of not letting the environment affect them. And for us offensively, I thought, you know, obviously the results were great, but just the advass we were having in certain situations looked a lot better. And uh, you know that's something that we needed to be focusing on. And you know, like like you said, Colorado is uh, it's just one of those places you're playing on the moon. Anything happened, uh and you know, no lead is ever safe there, and uh, you know, so for us having that mindset of just we need to keep adding on, keep adding on, I think that was great for us.
Speaker 2: We heard from you Sunday after the Brewer series. We heard from Dave Roberts throughout the week. There just needed to be a recommitment, I think to play in the little things. The Dodger way of baseball. It looked a lot better again over the Rockies. But one thing that we hear about the Dodger certainly I did from afar and now I'm seeing it firsthand, is you guys are so experienced and this is a core that that doesn't really need any kind of extra motivation. You know how to go out there and do your jobs every day. So how do you keep that mindset so consistent where that's just the expected culture in the clubhouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, that's just something that's been created over many, many years, and you know, honestly it started before I even got here. But you just you focus on the things that you're supposed to do right. And you know, one of the things for me that I thought was back to how we play baseball in Colorado was, you know, the base running. We were taking the extra bass when needed, we aren't making outs when we weren't supposed to. We were doing the little things right. And that's something that we had done so good all year long, and the last couple of weeks we've been, you know, not as good. We've been forced you know, making force outs on the basis just stuff that we shouldn't be doing. And we kind of got back to to playing the game how we how we played it, you know, last couple of last couple of days, and so, you know, going back to your question, I think it's just we've just created this culture where that's that's the focus. You know, we we preach it every single day, starting back in spring training, and uh, we don't let it ever get away from that. And when it starts getting away from that, we we always rein it back in and we we continue to preach you know, years, taking it one day at a time. You're focused on this, don't let the things ball go out there to your U team, make sure what you're working on, and you know it's it's worked out really well for us.
Speaker 4: Hey, for those of you that are on your phone, it's very often or even if you don't use it much, you should check out your wireless bill and make sure that it is that's treating you well. It's summertime. You're feeling good, right, AJ, But are you spending too much on your wireless bill? And should Mintmobile get involved?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: Some of them has two college aged kids. Scott They're always on their phone, whether it's they're checking their snap, they're checking their DMS, they're checking their Twitter. I need fifteen dollars a month because I need unlimited quality coverage that mintmobile provides.
Speaker 4: They get that new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's it. No catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month, equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, Availability, speed and coverage varies. CEE mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 3: You guys got Kyle Tucker in that clubhouse. Hasn't been the greatest of years for him. Everybody has down years. Obviously, he's he's battling, he's trying to figure some things out. Figure out ways to contribute to this team and we've seen it. How how does the team, uh, you know, this group that has been together for so long, how do you kind of, you know, help keep him not motivated? But just like like, don't worry about it. Everything's gonna be fine. The season doesn't mean one sixty two doesn't mean anything to the Dodgers anyways. Is about the postseason? We know we're gonna get there. Like, how do you kind of you know, put your arm around him and tell them a famous Alana line here, it's going to be great. What's the motive? Like motivation and help for Tuck?
Speaker 1: I mean, you just just let him know that you're there for him. You know. It's it's it's this first year in La. You know, he's he's a cross country from his home. Uh's first year with a new baby for him. Uh, you know, obviously the big condition there's a lot of things you know, going on right now, and he has to find a way to battle through all that. And so the biggest thing that we can do is just let him know that we're there for him, and you know, we have his back my matter what. And he's part of this team. He's part of this clubhouse, and nothing's ever going to change that. No matter how good or bad someone plays, You're you're part of this team, and you you're you're part of the family. And so for us, that's always the biggest thing is just let him know that we're there. Max.
Speaker 2: We're going to change it to a topic that I'm sure you're gonna love talking about. We're going to talk about yourself and your performance this year. I know, I'm sorry, but we got we gotta hype you up on the show. It feels like this season you're you look at the numbers, some of your best numbers on both sides of the ball in the past few years. The All Star birth you get to share that with your family. Recently celebrated ten years of service time, which which is a huge deal. Do you feel like this twenty sixth season is kind of your resurgence year. What has it been like to celebrate all of these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been you know, it's been a great year, and honestly, the biggest thing that comes out of it is I've been healthy. You know, you look at my last couple of years and the numbers and the pace have been very similar. It's just I haven't been healthy and so I haven't been able to you know, put up the numbers throughout it in an entire year. But you know, they're very similar to what they have been in the last couple of years. It's just this year I've been healthy and you know, that's been the biggest thing for me. And obviously I've been way better on defense this year too, but that's just you know, the culmination of hard work and just the understanding of the position and a lot of things coming fruition finally with that. But yeah, the biggest thing for me is just just being healthy, and that's the biggest thing that I've been proud of this year, is you know, finding a way to stay on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The third base thing is something I wanted to talk to you about because people talk about, you know, Mooki moving to shortstop and the insanity of that, which it is, the fact that he is a goal glove shortstop just hasn't won the hard word for it. But I like to talk about Max Munsey playing wherever this team needs. Over nine seasons, You've been fantastic at first base in the past, only displaced by a future Hall of Famer and Freddie Freeman, just putting in the work at third base, a position you vocally hated or well, let's say maybe it's a strong word. Okay, you agree, vocally hated. Now it's a spot where you're pretty flipping good at it. What goes into that work? And I think you getting good at third base. And by the way, we're just getting going with the Mounsey glaze here. You putting in that work. That is part of the whole Max Munsey, as a Los Angeles Dodger, it's always about grinding, getting better, and you see it at third base.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, look, my whole life, defense has always been the thing that's been questioned about me. You know. I was always told that I could hit and I was going to do things, but defense was always the question about me. And so that's just from an early age I learned how to put in the work defensively. And you know when I when given enough time, every position I've played, I've been able to get good at. You know, I thought I was very good at second base. At first base, I was extremely good. I shouldn't want I should have won a Gold Globe, but came in second one year, and then we bring a guy, like you said, a future Hall of Famer crew to kick me off position the next year. You know, it's just I understand how to work. And that's not only do I understand how to work. I love to work. And I feel like that's a huge thing when it comes to it, is you have to you have to love to work at your profession. And you know, that's something that I've always really enjoyed. I love going out there putting on the work because it helps you understand it. It helps you understand the game, you know the position, how you're playing it, and I feel like it just increases your knowledge of the game in general. And for me, you know, baseball has always been everything, and so just the more knowledge I can have about the game of baseball, the better I feel about it and the better I feel about putting myself out there and put myself in a good position to help the team win. And you know, that's just like I said, it's many years of hard work and understanding, and the biggest jump was just getting the knowledge, and a lot of that was talking with with Mookie because when he moved to short stop, he had to learn, you know, the knowledge of how to play short stuff, not just going out there and putting in the work. You know, that's something that I think a lot of people kind of push to the side, is, Yeah, you can go out there and take ground balls, you know, for seven hours a day, but if you're not getting the knowledge of how you're doing it, you know, what what are you doing with your footwork, what are you doing with your hands? Why should you be doing that? You know? For me, that was that was one of the biggest jumps. It was just kind of understanding how my body and how I field ground balls, work work properly. And one of those things for me was learning how to field one handed. You know, my entire life it's both hands, you know, gator, whatever you want to call it. You feel the two hands, you funnel it to the body. And for me, it was understanding that I was much better one handed and not funneling kind of pushing through the ball. And you know, part of the reason why I took a couple of years to get better at third base was you have to break a lifetime of habits to do that.
Speaker 2: Max, I'm gonna ask you this question knowing that I think if I asked it to a majority of your teammates, I think you would be the answer. But one of the covering the Dodgers every day is that there are no shortage of storylines because seemingly everybody is doing something incredible. If you were going to take yourself out of this equation and you're looking at the season so far, which teammate stands out to you in terms of the most impressive season you feel like they're having.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it's tough to single guys out with this question because there's so many guys having good years. But you know, off the bat, I think any Piz just jumps out there. You know, the work that he put in defensively becoming one of the best center fielders in baseball. He's throwing, He's one of the best throwers in baseball. It's a cannon front arm. It's super accurate. You know, he's he's always hitting the cutoff guy, and that's something that you just don't see a lot with young players. Sometimes they always want to show off the arm and they overthrow the cut off guy. And you know, offensively, obviously his numbers are amazing, and just for him, there was a clear emphasis on dialing back swinging out of the zone. I feel like he's done a really good job of that so far this year, and he's only getting better. He's been taking more walks, and you know he's he's only going to continue to get better. So for me, you know, he kind of jump off the page for me this year, just the year that he's been having.
Speaker 3: Well, go ahead and fallow, all right.
Speaker 2: This is another one. And I like to preface this one with I usually ask about one dumb question today. You're well aware of this by now. This one, I feel like is for you specifically. One thing about Maximunsey. The lore is the bat drop, and I would like to know, because you've hit so many this year, what goes through your mind is when you decide if it's a bat drop, a bat toss, a bat chuck.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Is it like an out of body experience. Do you just let the moment take over because you've had some good ones this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's usually, you know, it's usually kind of just like an emotional thing when you when you connect on the ball and you're able to hit it to you know, like a no doubt shot that you just know mediately is gone right off. The bat before even seeing the trajectory. Like, it's just a certain kind of feeling and so you know, depending on the situation of the game, what inning you're in, it just kind of becomes like an emotional outburst for me. You know, I think you guys know me. Uh, I'm not super you know, emotional on the field in terms of you know, showing things, and so the the the bat flip or bad drop has always been my you go kind of outburst of emotion and it just kind of happens. It's not planned, there's no thought behind it. It's just whatever comes out comes out. And you know, the only thought behind any of that for me is always it's it's make sure you're not like throwing it at the picture. You're not disrespecting the picture, even though you hit hit a home run off him. It's not about you know him, It's about you and that that that that for me is always and that's why I never get mad if pictures celebrate their strikeouts, it's not about you. It's about them getting out of a situation and they're excited about it. And you know that's a that's a kind of how it is.
Speaker 4: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed. Take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's all in a setting that works for your family, and K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support. Hey, we've heard Todd father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K twelve Powered Schools can help unlock your child's full potential. En Roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 3: Quick quick follow on that. I'm sure you've seen. I was a Jeffrey Yawn with with the METS. He has the jump and the celebration. I think he's doing double barrel like like uh, finger guns there when Like I'm all for letting the kids play and all that. I think baseball is fun. It's supposed to be entertaining. But when does and we're not saying this, he is what he's doing is too much. But when does it become too much?
Speaker 1: You know, that's a good question, and it's kind of a tough question. Yeah, I feel like when it's no longer about your performance and it's about you trying to put on a show. And I know that's kind of a weird statement, but like, uh, you know, if if you give it for me, like if you're a pitcher and you give up you know, two base hits, a run scores, and then you get that strike out and then you're doing the celebration, it's like, well, he didn't really do your job, did you. You just wanted to do something to make it a show. Now you strike out the side cartwheel off the mound, I don't care you well, like, you know, like it's kind of the same thing with you know, when you when you hit a home run, if it's a seven to one game and you hit a solo home run to make a seven to two and then you're you know, backpedaling around the bases. It's like, Okay, that's not the time for that. Like to me, it's all about kind of the situation of the game and the circumstances leading up to it. And you know, the other thing for me too also is a for for like starting pitchers. I never like when starting pitchers celebrate before they're coming out of the game. I always feel like, if we're facing a team in the postseason and I see the guy screaming and fist plumping in the second inning and he still have to get through three more innings, I'm like, oh, we got this guy. He's given up way too much emotion and energy too early in this game. Like, we we got this guy. So I don't like when starting pitchers do the whole emotion in like the first or second inning because you still got a lot of innings you got to get through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, say save it for five, six, seven, then really let out a let out a Yama moto roar. That's what we're here for. Katie said she was gonna make you feel a little uncomfortable. I'm gonna make it a little bit more so. She also mentioned ten years in the show. Again, congrats for that. That is awesome. Nine seasons of those. Of course, in Dodger Blue, I've been somebody who's been hard on the paint, hard in the paint about talking about Max Munsey Dodgers legend. I know you don't want to hear that kind of stuff, but you look up and down franchised numbers and all this. Of course, we've talked a whole lot this year, second on the all time LA Dodger homer leader board behind Eric Carross most homers and postseason franchise history at sixteen, most walks in postseason history, sixty five postseason runs, two things that are massively important to win in baseball games walks and run scored forty six runs. There when you hear and you're not done yet, you still got career to go, thankfully, when you hear Dodgers legends, what does that do is give you like the Ougi's is just something like like kursh where you don't even want to think about the numbers until you're done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it is something that I don't want to think about yet. You know, I'm still in the moment, I'm still still living the dream and still you know, playing successfully. And I feel like if you sit down and you start reflecting on a lot of that stuff and you start thinking about, man, I'm doing this, I'm doing that, I feel like you're you're allowing yourself to get a little complacent with it and thinking that you've already accomplished something, and I feel like there's still so much more to accomplish, and uh, you know, and so there will come a day when I can sit down and reflect on all this and think about the career that I've had. But it's like, you know, I still want to keep going. We still have more championships to win. I still have more to do in the postseason, in the regular season, and you know, nothing for me is accomplished yet, and uh, you know, we are getting close to that point, but you know, it's there's still a lot more to do. And that's kind of how I've always felt about it, is. I don't don't like reflecting on that stuff because then I don't have a path forward because I'm too busy looking in the past. You know, I want to always keep moving forward with my career and keep keep accomplishing more and more things, and most important to keep winning. And you know that's always been the goal for me.
Speaker 2: Music to Dodgers fans ears who I'm sure would have liked to see nobody else in Dodger blue for the rest of his career. Max Munsey, thank you so much for joining us here on Dodger's territory. We appreciate it.