Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Hello, dear listener you're listening to it could happen here. My name's Carlos. I'm a journalist from Puerto Rico. I'm here with James.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 5: How you doing.
Speaker 3: Hi, Nice to have you on for this. James.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Let me ask, have you heard about a little thing called imperialism?
Speaker 7: I have During my education in the United Kingdom, it was an issue that they raised once or twice.
Speaker 3: So you would say you're quite knowledgeable about imperialism, then sure.
Speaker 7: I think I have a little a little grass of it, both from there learning about it and teaching about it. There's a whole lot of imperialism, you know. I don't think I've covered all of it, so I'm excited to learn about some extra parts of.
Speaker 3: It same same, and actually I would say so. I'm from Puerto Rico, and as a subject of American imperialism, I'm very happy to share this episode today, which is kind of a history of American overseas expansion, focused particularly on its colonies. There are several American colonies. Puerto Rico is the most populous one and the most known, but there are several others. So I want to start this episode by laying out some definitions and frameworks in case people aren't familiar with them. When people think of the United States, they typically only think about the contiguous United States, also known as the lower forty eight. This is how most people imagine the US today, and maybe they include Alaska and Hawaii. This is what historian Benedict Anderson calls the logo map in his seminal book Imagined Communities. Essentially, the way that it works is that if every country had merged, then this is the logo that would be on it. This is literal in some cases. For example, I saw a lot of America two fifty shirts that only had the map with the lower forty eight on it. The logo map, whether people mean it or not, is often a political statement. Whatever people imagine the logo map to be is what they consider the dominion of their government. For example, if you see an IDF or Russian soldier with a patch that includes Gaza and the West Bank in Israel or Ukraine as part of Russia, then you very likely know that person's thoughts on the territorial borders of their respective countries. However, what is included in the logo map is often just as important as what isn't included. In the case of the United States, which has continuously lied to itself about being an empire, the lower forty eight logo map hides the country's former territories Alaska and Hawaii if they're not included, its current territories like Puerto Rico and Guam, as well as a smattering of military bases that it owns across the world. This emission, in its self conception, is an active American exceptionalism, giving visual credence to the fact that the country is one homogeneous polity, not a settler colonial state or a global superpower with overseas possessions that it continues to colonize to this day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the America two fifty with the lower forty eight on it. It's a really fascinating image, right, Like, there is no historical argument the countries on that map were not the United States two hundred and fifty years ago. The place is on that map.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: When people think in their mind of their imagined community, that is America, that is what they think of. Even though I think very few of the T shirt wearers with the two map would be like, yes, in Hawaii and Alaska colonies and like we should, we should let them be yet let alone discussing put Rico, Guam. And then you have all the like the Cofa countries, right like RMI. Yeah, absolutely, Like I guess if you want to put them on a T shirt, you need a really fucking big T shirt to keep it to scale, right like it it is a vast global empire. Yeah, yeah, you have bases in Africa, basis in Greenland, bases all over the world.
Speaker 3: Absolutely So at a time when Trump has made several overtures towards expanding the physical territory of the United States by either making Canada, Greenland or Venezuela or a bunch of other places ostensibly the fifty first state, I think it's important that people know that the US is not only a military and economic empire, but a literal one with control over a series of territories and their people that spans the pacif and the Caribbean, as well as the aforementioned military bases. So to start, I should say that that kind of ideological game about the US logo map is almost wholeheartedly ripped from the beginning of Daniel Imawar's How to Hide an Empire. Also, James, in the case of the shirt with all of the territories and colonies, that there is a map in there that I will show you later that we could put on a T shirt of sweet, Okay exciting. So How to Hide an Empire, alongside Colonial Crucible, edited by Alfred W. McCoy and Francisco as Carano, were monumental sources for these two podcast episodes that we're about to do. Anyway, James, I know that you've heard this term before, but I want to start out by defining the term quote unquote insular area before I get to the meat of this episode. When a place is an insular area of the US, it means that they are a US associated jurisdiction, but aren't states or the District of Columbia. This encompasses several different legal meanings in terms of sovereignty free of the US's insular areas. The Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia and Palau are independent nations that have compacts of free association with the US. This means that they have their own sovereignty, but certain things such as defense, are in hands of the United States. I won't be talking about them too much, but if you want to learn more about them, you should go listen to James's series on the Republic of the Marshall Islands.
Speaker 7: Thank you. I was in that RMI when they were renegotiating with the Biden admin. They are proud independent country, of course, right, and they have sovereignty in a lot of issues. But also like the US, didn't come at that equal to equal, you know, like the US, a country which nuked the Marshall Islands, which it never had any quarrel with, it's still not paying people in those places what it said it would pay them for the damage it did by New Kingdom when they were downwind. Like even now when they negotiate, they can't force the United States to treat them with really what is human BEI basic dignity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And this is you know, I think something that extends not only to the countries under the compacts of reassociation, but all of its colonies that when they are at the bargaining table, it is very clearly an incredibly unequal bargaining table with this like global superpower and its colonies, and they're trying to reach the colonies are trying to reach sometimes more independence or more federal funding or something or another.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the other fourteen insular areas are what the US calls quote unquote territories, and I should say that fourteen doesn't even tell the whole story, but I'm going to hold onto that fact for a second. These fourteen are divided into thirteen unincorporated territories and one incorporated territory. There's a complicated explanation for that that I'm going to explain in the next episode. But all you have to know for now is that people often talk about these territories as being part of the United States. And while that is true on a conceptual level, right when you imagine the United States, or maybe not, when people going to the America two fifty rallies imagine the United States, but when you map out the US's global borders, you include Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa as part of the United States. However, in a strictly legal sense, all of the unincorporated territories belong to but aren't part of the United States. So of these fourteen territories, nine are uninhabited and five have people on them. The nine uninhabited territories are Baker Island, Holland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Atoll, Kalmira Atoll, which is the sole incorporated territory, Wake Island, and Navasa Island. There are also two other territories, Seeraniya Bang and Bajonuevo Bank, that are claimed by the US but administered by Columbia. Meanwhile, Haiti has also historically laid claim to Navasa and still does. This is similar for Wake Island, which is claimed by the Marshall Islands but is administered by the US. In the modern day, these remain mostly uninhabited save for military or scientific missions. All of these little pieces of land are often grouped together as the US minor outlying islands. Yeah, in the calculus of the US, they're like so meaningless that they're usually not even talked about by their names.
Speaker 7: Right right, It's like a footnote of existence.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, even though they have been, as I hope to show, very important to the conception of the United States as an empire. Meanwhile, the five inhabited territories are Puerto Rico, where I'm from and currently located, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa. So this is going to be split into two episodes. The first is kind of giving a crash course on the inhabited islands and how the US has claimed the minor outlying islands created the skeletal framework on which the US would expand its overseas empire. And then the second episode is mostly going to be about how the US acquired those five uninhabited islands and how they kind of shaped the metropol in ways that people rarely conceive of. However, before getting into that, I want to make a quick note about language. Up until now, I've been using the word quote unquote territory to describe these places, just to talk about them in the same way the US history teacher might talk about them, or how the President of the United States might talk about them. But going forward, I'll be referring to them by the word quote unquote colony, because that's what it's called when a foreign polity controls a place and its people.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like the book Turtle hints at has done a very good job of hiding its empire. But like, I think part of that is because it's convinced people not to call it by its name, and because it hasn't called it by its name and then no one else does, then somehow it fits into this magical third space between independence and empire, rather than just saying, oh, yeah, this is an empire, but they rebranded it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, it's like the of the However, many empires that have existed throughout history. The only thing exceptional about the US is that it doesn't conceive of itself as an empire. So I'm going to assume that a lot of people don't know much about the US colonies. So here's a crash course. Puerto Rico and the US virsin Islands are in the Caribbean, while Guam, the Northern Mariana islands in American Samoa are in the Pacific. Between them, the five US colonies have about four million people. Except for American Samoa, everyone born there is born an American citizen. People born in American Samoa are non citizen US nationals. If they want to become US citizens, they have to go for the naturalization process. People in the colonies can't vote in federal elections, and we don't have voting representation in Congress. Instead, we have a non voting representative whose job is kind of just to squawk at other congress people to convince them to do things. Politically, all the colonies, say for Puerto Rico, have the US's two party system. I should say that American Samoa's elections are nonpartisan, which means that while candidates do affiliate with the Republican or Democratic parties, they run the ballot as independent. In Puerto Rico, political parties are divided based on whether they want Puerto Rico to become a state independence or remain in the colonial status quo. That has been that way for going on about seventy years now. Although some candidates in Puerto Rico do affiliate with US political parties, they run representing the archipelagos political parties. A bunch of the sources I used, like the AP or The Conversation, among others, are linked in the show notes if you want more details. Puerto Rico is probably the one that people most know about, right, and I'm also going to be focusing a lot on it throughout this these two episodes. Because I'm from here. We're the most populated and largest in terms of land mass by several magnitudes. The archipelago really only comes into the American consciousness in times of crisis. For example, right now, it's in the news because we're facing a pretty bad water crisis, with some people having gone more than one hundred days with no or an intermitent water service. This is common across all the colonies, only getting media coverage in times of crisis, and even then it's unlikely that they'll receive the same media attention as any state. Puerto Rico is often the one that's in then news just because it's the biggest, Right But when was the last time you heard a let's say, like a CNN report about Guam or American Samhow right? In my experience, right, only talking about Puerto Rico it's kind of a news desert in relation to other states, which I know, right, media has been affected everywhere, but the colonies specifically because of their kind of colonial status and how it has affected them. There's media blackouts from the metropol to them, and in them, they are sometimes a little bit of news deserts. Yeah, definitely. Yeah. I would wager to say that the first time Puerto Rico entered American consciousness in recent memory was in twenty seventeen, when hurricanes Irma and Maria destroyed the archipelago and its long ailing electrical system, causing thousands of deaths and the largest and longest blackout in US history. Shortly after that, a Morning Consult poll found that only about fifty four percent of Americans knew that people here were also American citizens. And that's like after kind of once in a lifetime natural disaster.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, that's been in the headlines, like, and Trump is there, like handing out toilet paper, like.
Speaker 3: True, absolutely right, he was doing the kind of free point meme. Yeah photo that has become famous.
Speaker 7: Now, Yeah, your handing out is your own word, right, flicking toilet paper at people?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And you know he also like and This is kind of a preview of what I'm going to talk about next episode or at the end of next episode. But he did remark that he wanted to trade Puerto Rico for Greenland.
Speaker 7: Was Denmark, So like it would be the Danes who would administer Puerto Rico or who's Yeah, who's he trading it with?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, he's trading it with with Denmark. Right, he would trade Puerto Rico for Greenland, So Denmark would take over Puerto Rico and the US takeover Why not over Greenland? You know, we're just kind of there to be bartered with.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, this is not a place where people live exactly. I'm sure the Dane really embrace like I mean, yeah, fine, I guess that is what Embias used to do back in the day, Right, we just swap land around.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I mean, the US bought the Virgin Islands from Denmark for a cool twenty five million, right, so yeah, there's president for it. Yeah true.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then not so long ago, Alaska like true.
Speaker 3: So, like I mentioned that, only appearing in US media or receiving national attention is very common for the colonies. This is particularly the case of Puerto Rico, which has been suffering one crisis after another for the last two decades. Our siblings and the other colonies receive even less media attention. If you're listening and this is the first time you're hearing about these colonies. To be honest, this is what empire does to those it considers lesser than make them invisible in public life until it is socio politically expedient to use them for one purpose or another. Yeah, like trading us for Greenland. And while I was writing, I really struggled to find a concise way of explaining the importance of the colonies to the formation of the United States as we know it today. Today, we often talk about the imperial boomerang produced by several overseas US invasions in the Middle East coming back to haunt us. We've seen the militarization of police throughout the country, the rise of what any Latin American country would call quote unquote manolura, politics at home, and much more. Yet, in the conception of the American consequences of imperialism, the literal colonies of the United States are often left by the wayside, but the current and former colonies have shaped the country in untold ways of which I'm going to be talking about a few today. To quote from colonial crucible quote, the United States held most of its larger colonies for just a few decades and governed only a few million people, Yet empire left an indelible imprint on the United States. Colonialism was a crucible that plunged Washington's raw bureaucracy into the white heat of nationalist revolution and great power rivalry, forging you heretofore unimagined state capacities. Indeed, the ramifications of this early American empire were far wider than anyone has yet imagined, a marked expansion in the role of the federal government for more activistic domestic administration, and the formation of an agile, transnational imperial state for more effective global governance.
Speaker 7: I think a lot about how American self conception has kind of changed. I guess I think a lot of specifically about Cuba, right, and how like, there is not an American politician who would not like to be compared to Theodore Roosevelt, could be on any party right. Most of the wild also like to be compared to FDR, which is a whole other interesting thing when you look at internment. But that's a separate topic. Part of that is that he and his like rough riders, right, these volunteers went to Cuba and then they charged up San Juan Hill, and like at the time in America, there was this feeling that like empires are going to fall and we're going to help them. And we went from that, and some of that was like yellow press stuff, right, sort of whipping up this popular sentiment of like the Americans and we destroy empires to the platinum n that, yeah, right, and to effectively the United States to factor ruling Cuba in formal colonialism. Like what that says about how the United States conceived of its role in the world. Even like you can go back even further right and see Hamilton talking about the revolution in Haiti and the ship that didn't make it into the musical, where he is just wildly racist and believes that people, the black people of Haiti to being capable of self government and to just that they might want to appoint a king to like, you know, keep them under some kind of control. I guess I failed to fail to follow the logic there, but I don't particularly care to try. But like it says a lot about this country. Right, which does it saying like all men are created equal? Well fuck not in Haiti though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not in Haiti, not in the Caribbean, not in Latin America, not anywhere but the United States and maybe Europe.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like from sea to Shining Sea is in fact, like those people are created equal unless they're indigenous to the place that we want, in which case we don't even fucking respect our treaties with them, let alone them. I mean Britain did this too, but like just a jarring disjuncture between rhetoric and actions, and like at the same time that that rhetoric could still be used to justify colonial actions, right, like when Hearst and the Yellow Press a whipping up this idea of like Spanish empire in Cuba and how unjust it is and how how terrible it is, and that we shouldn't be allowing this in our hemisphere. Stop and pause and think about our hemisphere and anti colonial terms. But like, genuinely, I'm sure that working people in America believe that, right, and some of the people who look volunteered to fight their genuine like hell, yeah, we're going to liberate another country in the Americas, Like fucking all burnt down.
Speaker 3: We're going to bring the US freedom and liberty to these people by crushing them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like we're the best country in the world, and like we're going to share that with you all because you're our neighbors to like, actually, psych we get to intervene how we want, when we want, whenever we want in your politics because we like the stuff that you've got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because seeing the colonizer from the colonized position, right, a lot of the US's approached to the rest of the world is either right at the tip of a barrel or from a position of imperial and colonial arrogant. Like we figured it out before you did. Let me teach you how to do it. And if you don't follow everything I'm going to say, I'm going to force you to do it right. And that's what defined this period of colonial expansion by the US between like the early eighteen hundreds arguably to now, honestly, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like the attitude is indistinguishable from the attitude that compelled Britain to create an emperil of the world.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: I love to show my students a white Man's Burden cartoon. I'm sure you've seen the one where he's like Uncle Sam is like carrying the peoples of like Puerto Rico, Guam and Cuba, I think, up in a little basket up towards like civilization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the shining mountain of the shining city on a hill, carrying us to salvation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and just like wildly racist caricatures. But I will show that, you know. I've shown that to undergraduates for getting on for fifteen years, and it's always wild to see their responses to be like, I understand sometimes because I'm British there, like I'm coming in there with a history of our own imperial grind. But yeah, it's interesting to see them conceive of the United States that way. I try to wrap their heads around that when they're like, no, it's not America. We didn't do that, man, a totally different thing. It's fascinating that they could come through eighteen years at a high school system and not be asked to reflect on that or even be aware of it, you know.
Speaker 3: And actually speaking of a colonial cartoons, I pulled it up right now, but I'm really partial too. Have you seen this cartoon from Puck that I believe was made in nineteen hundred where it's Uncle Sam teaching its newly acquired colonies Hawaii, Philippines, Puerto Rico. Q. I can send the link in the chat right now. Yeah, yeah, I think about it a lot because I growing up in Puerto Rico and being educated by the school system. I don't know about the American school system very much or specifically how it's taught, but there was a critical to the way that we were taught about the US is kind of capture and colonization of Puerto Rica. And that was mostly because I had a really great history teacher my last senior year of high school. But this cartoon has really stayed in my memory for a very long time because it's like, oh, yeah, it's how I view like the US's approach to so many foreign nations. Right, you have so many facets of this, Right, you have the black population, which obviously the US is historically oppressed and enslaved for centuries. You have the indigenous population, also historically oppressed and killed for centuries by the US government, represented in the corner. And then you have these new states which are like depicted as white people in colonial dress being good students. And then you have Cuba, Puerto Rico, Hawaii. The Philippines upfront depicted as not in like the clothes the rest of the people are wearing, as if they need special attention to. He taught the kind of education of freedom and liberty by Uncle Sam, right right. I don't know. I think about this like anytime I'm like conceptualizing colonialism. This is this is it for me? They peaked here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that it's wild. It's interesting that Alaska is amongst the like I know what to call them, like the older kids. They're trying to portray like a civilization savagery binary here right, Like, Yeah, that's what's what's happening. Alaska is up there with the civilized stage. And then there's someone I know, what's happening with his person outside the doors, just like the Chinese exclusion.
Speaker 3: Actually I believe so, Yeah, I think that's that's what they're trying to portray.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's an excellent cartoon. Yeah, but yeah, there's a whole lot happening here.
Speaker 3: Listeners. I know that this is an audio median, but go go google School Begins and Puck and then you'll see it. It's it's really yep. I don't know if they were made this like rope was fully racist, or if they were just really good at depicting the US's racism. But they popped off with this one. Yeah, we should teach this in every school everywhere.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's pretty Uh, it gets right to the point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. So I want to be clear that the way that the US was shaped by its colonies is not a uniquely American phenomenon. Paraphrasing from colonial crucible, Every empire is shaped by the Promethean experience of the colonizer and the colonized, both empowering and eviscerating, yet mutually transformative and traumatic. The chain of continuity that now spans almost two hundred years of seafaring colonization has profoundly shaped the American Empire, unleashing the catalytic forces that have shaped the formation of the American state up to this day, the lasting imprint of which is evident during Washington's recent misadventures in the Middle East. And when they wrote that, it was two thousand and nine, so they were talking about the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan, But twenty years later it applies almost equally to the current war with Iran. With that out of the way, to start with how the US expanded, passed the American continent and became a seafaring empire. We need to go back two hundred years to the mid eighteen hundreds and talk about bird shit. Manifest destiny had taken the United States on a genocidal campaign that displaced indigenous people and killed them from sea to shining Sea. Meanwhile, the Monroe Doctrine, while still nascent and not completely enforceable by the American state, created the ideological and legal framework for the country to overflow from its recently established national borders. In the midst of all of this, industrial agricate culture was becoming the norm across the world and in the United States, which meant that there was a severe need for fertilizer to grow crops quickly. People were experimenting with different things, but the one fertilizer that everyone wanted was guano, also known as white gold. Guano is the accumulated poop of birds, bats, and seals. It contained several nutrients that are very good for quick agricultural growth. However, the thing about guano is that it mostly grows on far off islands or caves. So the big problem with guano is that at the time, most of it was contained in islands off the coast of the newly independent state of Peru. And I'm talking about states in the nation state, the country essentially a country of Peru. And that was a problem for the United States because they needed guano bad but they didn't want to rely on a foreign country for it. And I should say that a lot of this comes from how to Hide an Empire and an article titled Guano and the Rise of American Empire by Mauri Siobadancourt published in Sage Journal. So, with a desperate need for guano, what is a fledgling empire to do but set sail and lay claim to the islands that contained large deposits of guano. US businessmen originally wanted the US to take Peru's Lobo Islands for themselves so they could extract the guano, but Peru protested and the US backed off. However, the American taste for guano was clear, and in eighteen fifty six, the US passed the Guano Islands Act, which allowed any US citizen to lay claim to uninhabited islands that had guano on them in the name of the United States. American entrepreneurs set sale for poop covered islands, and while the law specifically mentioned that they had to be not claimed by other countries, that didn't really stop people from claiming islands that were also claimed by other nations like Britain, Honduras, and Colombia. It's kind of like that meme from Arfur that says, a sign can stop me because I can't read.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is like the wildest period. Maybe not, but like it's just this bonkers period of US history where you can personally expand the imperial possessions of the United States, like on your own free will of volition.
Speaker 3: Right, So it's like you know, I mean that's like part of the American conception.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: You reached a place that was empty of people, you settled there, and now you have brought the US to it. Right, that's the story that America tells itself at.
Speaker 7: Least, right, Like that's manifest destiny, like writ large across the whole global map.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so per how to hide an empire. By the time that last claim was filed in nineteen oh two, the US had added ninety four islands to its dominion. All of these were uninhabited, so they weren't quite colonies until US industry moved to them, establishing guano mining outfits that used black laborers essentially induced to work there under false pretenses in horrible conditions. In more ways than one, the US had essentially exported Southern style plantations beyond its continental borders to the edges of its empire. Nowhere was this more clear than a tiny island off the coast of Haiti called Davasa that the US still owns to this day. Workers there mostly consisted of black laborers from Baltimore. Fed up with horrible conditions, the workers eventually revolted, and five white overseers died during the ensuing riot. For this, dozens of workers were charged with crimes ranging from rioting to murder. Free were given death sentences, and when their case eventually reached the Supreme Court, their defense rested on a hail mary play. Since Haiti also claimed Navasa, the US did not have jurisdiction to prosecute them, and this was to be clear an extreme long shot, and the decision from this would define the US's legal approach to its colonies for essentially until now. The Supreme Court sided with the prosecution, laying it out explicitly that the US owned Navasa and other territories, and that American citizens there were working on American soil, even if it was a sort of corporate fiefdom. President Harrison eventually commuted the death sentences to life sentences pro write up in the History News Network, but raised the issue that the US needed to better extend its government to these territories, ostensibly to protected citizens and its interest, no matter how far away their people or its land was. At time of recording, the ninety four Guano Islands have diminished to less than ten for various treaties and sessions. Nevertheless, the US minor outlying islands still represent important footholds of US military power and American sovereignty across the world, particularly in the Pacific. So I started with these often forgotten islands because they have left a lasting legacy upon the American Empire, as highlighted by How to Hide an Empire. The first legacy is legal. Per the Guano Islands Act, these poop covered rocks shall quote at the distrection of the President, be considered as appertaining to the United States. Appertaining is a strange word, right. It's mostly used as a legal term, but to simplify, it means that these islands belong to the United States. This word would come to define US overseas possessions as legally belonging to, but not part of, the United States. Right, it's this appertains to me. Doesn't necessarily mean that it's part of me, but I own it.
Speaker 7: It's mine. Yeah, it's like owned by the US, but in the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a strictly legal sense, legal sense, yah, yeah, right, Yeah. It's just like the thing that it's hard to explain about the US colony to some people where they don't get how it can be owned but not in but also part of Yeah. Meanwhile, the second legacy is that the quest for guano codified US overseas expansion is being a quest of resource extraction. This kickstarted US imperialism past continental borders and showed how the US government would encourage its industries to occupy and integrate themselves overseas in order to protect interest at home. Right, these companies went off to farm, to mine guano, and then to send it back home. We've seen this play out lots of times throughout American history, like during the so called Banana Wars, for out Latin America, as well as the continued quest for oil that's played out throughout the twentieth and twenty first century. And the third legacy is that these Guano islands, once rich in natural resources, are now part of one of the US's biggest exports military bases. Through the bases, the US's establ was there, alongside the ones in the inhabited colonies. The US has been able to project power outside of its continental borders because these tiny islands served or continued to serve as strategic military footholds in their respective regions. This was particularly evident during World War Two, where there was a wave of military expansion by the United States throughout the world, but it remains true to this day.
Speaker 7: During World War Two, they called some of those islands in the Pacific unsinkable aircraft carriers was the way they would refer to it. Like still actually, in many of those islands there was a serious problem with unexploded ordnance, which I think gets to the difference between like being a place where the US can put its military and being a place inside the US. Right, the US would not have left that many bombs and mines inside Ohio. There are some areas with Uxo, including in San Diego, but like to know any of this extent.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, absolutely right. In the actually to skip ahead a little bit, Puerto Rico in World War two is called the Gibraltar of the Caribbean because of how the US operated kind of its force projection in the region. And actually that now that you mentioned the mines, there is an island municipality off the eastern coast of Puerto Rico called bi I guess that the US used as like a bombing range for for many years, and there's still quite a few mines scattered throughout the island. I believe I should have included this, but there's about two thirds of the island municipality are still you still can't walk on them because of the unexploded ordinance.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, It's like Kuai Schulin when you see like a missile has been tested normally it's from VanderBurg Space Force space right up in central California. That's where it's going, Like Kwai, She's where quite in a toll is a toll in the Marshal Lilands where the United States has a large base, and like that, that is where that missile is headed. Still we still do this, right, we still test those and we of course testing nuclear weapons inside the United States as well, but very quickly when we realized that those things were devastating and the land never recovers, we started to do that on land which the United States controls. But there's not consider to be of the same value as land in a conticuous low forty eight.
Speaker 3: Absolutely no vichs and it's a sister island municipality. Colba were used as bombing ranges for years. Vicus has a very high cancer rate compared to the rest of Puerto Rico. When I say decades that the Navy quote unquote left viks in two thousand and three, right, that is still like within living memory for a lot of people, right. You know, the same people that protested the Navy's involvement there are still alive in kicking today and several different activist causes. Right. And they only left because they accidentally killed a security guard that kind of incited the protests that we're already going on, but that kind of kicked it in the high gear. Actually, I don't know if Americans know this, but like RFK for a very long time was kind of a local Puerto Rican folk hero because he'd participated in the anti navy protests here. Then he became what he is today, although I guess he might have always been that, but.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I did not know that he has been on a journey throughout throughout his life. I think it's fair to say, but yeah, there were people who doubted the state parentheses good who have turned into people who doubt the state parentheses back. And I think he is one of those people. I was just thinking too about like this same time period is like the same time period as a cannon air strike. Are you familiar with the cannon air strike?
Speaker 3: Not at all.
Speaker 7: It's where miners in Mexico go on strike right there in Sonora, and the owner of the mine, whose name I think was Green, it's just in the Porfyliato, right, So Porfylio the Earth is the president of Mexico. And it's like very pro American investment. And this is just before the outbreak of the Mexican Revolution, and it's a time when like the Americans are just like ruthlessly investing in Mexico is far too guy, but they're exploiting Mexican resources, right and then taking those for American profit. There was a I think it's where the cannon there consolidated copper company. The workers there go on strike, and this guy, I think he's called mister Green or Colonel Green maybe, basically starts Radioto America being like, the workers are on strike, they're gonna kill me, They're gonna kill everyone. And then they're they're not being particularly violent.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: A fire starts in the strike, but it's not the workers, it is the guards who.
Speaker 3: Are armed as often as the case.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and the fucking Arizona Rangers enter from Arizona, and I believe they're deputized on entering Mexico to intervene in this strike, right, Like the US is like Mexico is an independent country, but that's our mind, guys, like we'll be coming in here, like along with man. The guy's name Emilio something. He was like a Russian emigrat who became like an enforcer for football videodias in Mexico. But it just reminds me of the same thing, like the United States literally sending its colps into like invading a country.
Speaker 3: To protects its US business interests.
Speaker 7: Right right, Like don't fuck with our mind.
Speaker 3: In some ways right. This was preceded or preempted by the US claims on the Guano Islands, which of course were uninhabited, so it made it easy for the US to take control and establish them as mining colonies through its various industry companies. However, in modern times, resource mining has defined the US's imperialist ambitions. While it's much harder to establish dominion over places that people live in permanently, that hasn't stopped the country from exerting its influence through gunboat and dollar diplomacy. In place is like a rock in Venezuela, where it controls a significant part of their oil revenues. So this is the end of the first episode, but I'm going to talk a lot more about this phenomenon in the next episode, where we dive into how the US occupies and takes over the inhabited colonies for war and purchase. Any closing fonts, James.
Speaker 7: Statehood is no independents, and I'm sure we got to touch on this, but I thought that was great. I enjoyed that very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for being a guest.
Speaker 9: Hello, and welcome to it could happen here. My name's Kim Kelly, and I'll be your host for this morning or evening or afternoon. I don't know your schedule. Little about me, I'm a freelance journalist based in Philly, got third generation Union member, an author of the books Fight Like Hell, The Untold History of American Labor and his Young Reader's edition, Fight to Win Heroes of American Labor. Labor in History is obviously a passion of mine, but it's also my job to keep up with current worker struggles here in the US and abroad. Our pal Sophie, Robert James, everybody else have kindly given me the opportunity here to share some recent labor stories you might have missed, and adding a little historical context here and there to explain why exactly they're so important. All that being said, let's talk about silica. There are a lot of things out there that can kill you at work, but silica, specifically respirable crystalline silica, really goes above and beyond the call of duty. What is silica, you might ask, Well, it's a chemical compound made up of silicon and oxygen that is extremely common. Its government name is silicon dioxide. There's actually the second most above an element on Earth after oxygen doesn't sound so bad, right, Well, it all comes down to how you encounter it. If you eat it in the form of dietary silica, that's fine. You can find it in leafy greens, oats, brown rice is actually pretty good for you. But and this is a big butt, if you breathe in silica dust, you're pretty much fucked.
Speaker 10: See.
Speaker 9: Silica dust is extremely harmful, toxic, dangerous, no good. If it gets into your lungs, it causes swelling and inflammation, which then turns into hard scar tissue, which makes it really hard to breathe and least even bigger problems like lung cancer, tuberculosis, silicosis, COPD, kidney disease, and one of the scariest occupational diseases in American history coal workers numoconiosis, which you might know better as black long see silica, is ten times more toxic than coal dust and has been fueling a quiet epidemic and the Appalachian coal fields for years now. A new report from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health reveals that black lung rates are higher than they've been in fifty years, a disease that most people assume has been eradicated, has come roaring back, and now one in three miners with twenty five or more years experience in the mines has this brutal, fatal, incurable disease. There's no longer an old man's disease either. Let's do the math real quick. So if a worker goes underground when they're eighteen nineteen, you know, right out of high school, get their first big job, go down the mines. Twenty five years later, they've barely hit their forties. These are not old dudes. This is not the end of the line. Like the stereotype of the elderly coal miner with the oxygen tank. These people in their late twenties, their thirties, their forties. It's horrifying. These workers have so much more life to live, but their futures are being stolen from them by silica and more specifically, the mine operators who refuse to follow the proper safety protocols and engineering controls needed to protect them, and the Trunk administration's refusal to do deadly squat to make them. Actually, this administration is actively making the problem worse. You see, after decades of work from coal miners and their allies, the Department of Labor under Biden was poised to enact a new silica rule that would have the amount of deadly dust that miners would be exposed to. Finally, it took decades to get to this point, and this rule was supposed to go in defect in April twenty twenty five. A guess who was president then for all Trumps squawking about beautiful clean coal and American workers and blah lah, he and the scrubs who work for him are actively killing coal miners to protect their coal barren buddy's bottom line. And silica isn't just wreaking havoc and Appalachia and his coal mines. It's a huge problem in the construction industry too, specifically among stone masons and countertop fabricators. See, silica isn't just floating around like Lucy Goosey. It's not like you're not going to breathe it and walking down the street. You got to dig it out of rocks like granite, marble, quartz. Coal miners diate out of the earth. For stone masons and countertop fabricators, they release the dust when they're cutting and finishing slabs of stone. Artificial Stone aka manufacturer Quartz isn't especially popular material for that kitchen makeover, and it is chok full of silica. That's right, you're a shining new kitchen counter. It might have killed someone already, sorry. California is currently grappling with a silicosis epidemic that is sickened over five hundred workers, fifty of them and needed lung transplants, and as of today, thirty two of them have died. These are not old men either. Their median age is forty six. In almost every case in California has occurred among Mexican and Central American immigrant workers, many of them have died within a few years of their diagnosis. It is a fucking nightmare. And like black Lung and Appalachia, it is completely preventable when workers' health and safety is taken into account and existing regulations are followed. When they aren't, people die. Regulations are there for a reason, like it's not just for funzies, Like it matters, man. It makes me so mad. But with all that in mine, let's wrap up this silica sponsored portion of our program with a little sweet treat from Starbucks. The coffee giant has gone all in on blended and frozen drinks. You've seen them on Instagram TikTok. They're very pretty, they look very radioactive in like a fun way. And they've recently started using a new blending powder that contains wait for it, silicon dioxide. Our old friend. Now, this silica is food grade FDA proved and it's safe to ingest. Caveat cot, big caveat. The trouble is that the workers who are required to use this blending powder in the drinks they're making for you are being exposed to it as they mix up these little treats. That's not good. Members of the Starbucks Workers United union have raised the alarm over this and collected testimonies from hundreds of Starbucks workers who started to suffer adverse health effects as soon as the new blending powders showed up in their stores. As one worker explained on the union's Instagram, you inhale those powders every time you scoop them. Workers report experiencing rashes, headaches, coughing fits, nausea, throat irritation, swelling, they had trouble breathing, and, as one of them said, this powder is literally unavoidable now Given what we've learned about silica today, you might be feeling a little nervous for those Starbucks workers. Some of those symptoms might sound a little familiar. Doesn't sound good. We don't like silica in things. We don't want silica anybody's lungs. And you'd think that after said workers alerted their company to this issue, Starbucks management would have swiftly removed this potentially dangerous substance from their stores and stopped requiring their employees to handle it. But as of now, anyway, you'd be wrong. So far, their response has been to blog about it. Here's the entirety of the response Starbucks posted on their official website and I quote. Their product used in our coffee houses is a blending powder which contains a small amount of food grade silica, an FDA approved ingredient commonly used in food products that helps ingredients mix consistently and supports a consistent beverage experience. It does not contain crystalline silica and is safe for use in food. We are committed to providing accurate information about our ingredients. To learn more about our commitment to high quality food and drinks, visit this link. End quote so, okay, that's not the problem though. You know it's food safe. We know it's fine once you get in your guts. It's the lungs we're worried about. We know it's food safe. The issue is that it's not worker safe. In a message the company sent out to its stores, it avoided the potential health issue entirely and instead simply told the workers to poor slower when handling it, putting the burden on them to protect their health instead of actually doing something about it. Classic case, you hate to see it. And for now, Starbucks work as United are continuing to push the company to address the actual issue here, and I bet they'd appreciate your support, So keep an eye out on their social media accounts to follow this story, let them know I sent you. And now a word from our sponsors. And now for some good news. Deborah Kapecia, a medical surgical nurse at Maine Medical Center in Portland, is back home after a terrifying encounter with ice. According to her union, the Maine State Nurses Association slash National Nurses Organizing Committee, an affiliate of National Nurses United. Kapisha was detained on July thirtieth while traveling through Boston Logan International Airport. The union and her fellow nurses at Maine Med immediately organized a rally that saw hundreds of nurses and allies mobilized and successfully blocked her transfer to a facility in Louisiana. Quote. We knew we had to take action first to stop her from being transferred out of New England while in custody, but also to demand her release. We're incredibly proud that nurses and the community came together in Portland to advocate for her, and now we need to figure out how to stop ICE. That's a quote from Kelly Brennan, a registered nurse at Main Med and a nurse leader with a union got done a press release. So Kapisha was born in Zambia and she's legally off their eyes to live and work in the United States. She's waiting for asylum case to be processed. I have no reason for ICE to snatch her up bother her any of that. Her fellow nurses have written more than one hundred letters of support, while the union continues to coordinate with her attorneys and her coworkers that made Med are demanding their employer sponsor her permanent residency. She has a bond hearing on August tenth, and I know we're all crossing fingers for her.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: I don't know if this is common knowledge, but nurses unions, especially National Nurses United, go ridiculously hard for their members and their communities, like they are so tough and inn You has been on ICE's neck, calling it a illegitimate, violent paramilitary organization that must be abolished. They've been publicly mourning the ICE murder of Lorenzo Salgado Arajo and condemning the persecution of anti ICE activists in Minnesota and Texas. The union has been extremely outspoken on other human rights issues too that many other big unions have ignored or barely acknowledged because they're politically sensitive. Not really, if you have a heart in the brain. They've been calling out Israel for destroying medical warehouses and hospitals and gaza killing thousands of healthcare workers in Palestinian patients. And they just demanded an end to the US blockade of Cuba. This is just the last couple of months of press releases like they've been out here. And then You is also the biggest nurses union in the country, with more than two hundred and twenty five thousand members. They have a lot of power and they're not afraid to use it for good. Today they're trying to free a member from ISIS clutches. Tomorrow they may be striking for safety staffing levels, or organizing a new union in Louisiana, or holding your grandma's hand as she takes her last breath. Nurses really are the best of us, and I'm really glad they're on our side. So everyone say good luck to Deborah. Finally, I want to end today's episode with some very big news. As I'm sure you all know, it's now Black August Month. We dedicate each year to honoring the memory of fallen black freedom fighters and political prisoners. It's a tradition that began in nineteen seventy nine after the assassination of George Jackson, a Black panther and black liberation activist. With that memory and mind, Jailhouse Lawyers Speak, a collective of formerly and currently incarcerated workers around the country have just gone public with their plans for a big nationwide prison strike in twenty twenty seven, and they're calling for allies and comrades to support and spread the word. On August second, they announced that prisoners will hold a national prisoner's human rights strike from May one, the International Workers Day, through June nineteenth June tenth, twenty twenty seven, uniting the fight to and legalized slavery with the struggles to restore voting rights to the prison class. They shared three core demands, which I'll read to you now. They also maintain ten national demands on their website that have a bigger program going on, but this specific campaign is focusing on these three things. One and legalized slavery repeal. The exception clause is a Thirteenth Amendment. Two restore voting rights repeal exception clauses, including Section two of the fourteenth Amendment that strip voting rights from confined citizens, pre trial detainees, and former felons. Three free all the political prisoners in US prisons. So they've got a lot of work ahead of them. It all sounds very reasonable to me, but unfortunately I'm not in charge. You know, this isn't the first time the JLS and their affiliated prisoner led organizations have raised these demands, nor is it the first time they put their bodies on the line for them. There is a long, long history of resistance behind the walls of the American prison industrial complex. I devoted a whole chapter to in my book, and groups like JLS, the Free Alabama Movement, and the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee have done an incredible amount of work over the years keeping the spirit of hope and rebellion alive and organizing these huge nationwide actions under nearly impossible circumstances. Just because you haven't heard about them doesn't mean they're not happening. There is so much organizing happening in sign prison in the US, it's just difficult to report on unless you have contacts and you care enough to do a little bit of digging, which I guess not that many mainstream reporters do, but fuck them now. The largest prison strike in modern US history is said to have been the twenty ten Georgia prison strike, wherein prisoners in seven facilities across the state one on strike for six days. Between twenty eleven and twenty thirteen, thousands of prisoners in California when our hunger strikes to protest the dire conditions in which they're held. Since then, we've seen large scale, coordinated prison labor strikes in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, and perhaps most notably twenty sixteen, which commemorated the forty fifth anniversary of the Attica prison Uprising, which itself bears a historical precedent to ancient Rome, when in about one hundred and thirty five BC, just after the First Servile War, a thousand slaves let a bloody revolt in Attica, a region of what is now Greece. There really is nothing new under the sun, at least when it comes to the car sooral system and human enslavement, and the twenty twenty seven prison strike makes the connection explicit with its slogan, from May Day to Juneteenth, we refuse to slave. Now, a prison strike may look a little different from what you're thinking. Strikers have to get very creative since they can't exactly walk out of their workplace. There won't be any picket lines or cool matching T shirts. And I'd be very pleasantly surprised if any elected officials or political hopefuls showed up to support these strikes. May It sure would be nice, given that one of the major goals of this action is to have these incarcerated workers voting rights restored. People in prison are a part of our society and always have been ripping their rights as well as their freedoms as a crime against their humanity, and this strike is another desperate cry for help from people who have been left behind and forgotten. A lot can happen in nine months, and a lot needs to happen to pull off an action of this magnitude. Prison strikes aren't easy. There's so many dangers and risks for the people that participate, so much repressions, so many repercussions. It's truly an incredibly difficult and brave thing to take part in a strike behind the walls, and they need support from people outside too. JLS is calling on supporters of the strike to get involved and support their resistance inside by sharing the strike statement widely, centering prisoner voices, and pressure in Congress and all those other fancy powerful people to heed their demands or at the absolute least show that they're listening. As JLS stated, the National Prisoner's Human Rights Strike is more than a strike. There's a commitment to building lasting institutions, banding legal knowledge, strengthening political education, and organizing inside and outside the walls until legalized slavery and the broader system of exploitation are abolished. So if you got some time, you got some skills and a desire to burn down the American Plantation, give a little whistle. JLUS is waiting for you, and they need all the help they can get. This has been a special labor episode of It Can Happen Here. I'm still Kim Kelly and it's been lovely talking with you. Until next time. Be good, do no harm, and take no shit.
Speaker 11: Welcome back to It Could Happen Here. I'm Garrison Davis. Today we have a very special episode because we are talking once again to Bridget Todd, who we've had on a few times. But Bridget has a new book, Love at First prompt to AI and the Future of Intimacy, and we will be discussing how AI companies are trying to sell you love and how that might have a few problems Beyond the sort of face conceit that I think you know everyone could pick up on, there might even be more problems underneath the underneath the hood. So thank you Bridgard for coming on.
Speaker 12: Thank you so much for having me. I'm thrilled to be back here.
Speaker 11: How did you first decide this is something that you want to, like dedicate months of your life to researching.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's a great place to start.
Speaker 13: I think, like a lot of folks listening, I would hear these stories about individuals who would say things like I am in love with chat GPT or I am having some sort of intimate sexual relationship with an AI companion. And I can admit that my reaction to a lot of those those headlines where something is wrong with this person, this person is pathetic, or maybe this person is super lonely, super sad, they're putting themselves at great risk for harm. And you know, I once had this therapist who told me that judgment and curiosity could not coexist. And so I realized I was really treating these stories with such kind of knee jerk negative reaction and judgment. And then I heard Mark Zuckerberg on a podcast talking about how he thought in ten years time, while everybody, including everybody listening, was going to have AI friends AI companions. He said that most people don't feel like they have enough friends to have a nourishing social life, and that in the future it won't be a big deal.
Speaker 12: If all of us have AI companions.
Speaker 13: So what he didn't say is that it would be AI that he owns, operates, and profits from. But I got to thinking, you know, if Mark Zuckerberg and other tech leaders are designing futures involving technology where they believe this will be commonplace, whether the average person wants it to be or not, we should really be looking to the people who are already there to tell us what brought them to experiencing intimacy with AI and what the risks and ramifications might be. It's time to stop treating these people like pathetic freak shows and sort of listening to what they're actually saying, because it couldn't behove all of us to know where we could be headed.
Speaker 11: No, the freak show aspect, I think is as a real inhibitor towards actually understanding this problem, because I mean a lot of the first sort of like reports around this sort of thing, you know, like AI girlfriends, right, it has this sort of freak element, even even the way that we maybe talk about this on the show when we're like reporting at ces, you know, we walk through all these you know, ridiculous AI gadgets. You know, we saw like you know, like an AI sex doll essentially, you know, that has a very like low quality chat bought component that can't really you know, understand what you're saying very often. But I think it is a mistake to just assume that this tech will always stay in its kind of janky form. This stuff is rapidly advancing, it is, it is, it is going to get better, and just kind of denying that I think sort of pushes the problem, know down the road. Yeah, like, no, this is this, This is a real problem now and this requires like regulation and intense, intense like intervention right now. And just to kind of assuming that as it is all like all these like little niche things, only you know, crazy people are going to fall for this. The tech is bad. I think that that is I think overlooking what is legitimately like a you know, a society wide problem.
Speaker 13: Yes, I am so glad you said that, because one of the researchers that I interviewed for the audiobook Love at First Prompt is doctor Kate Devlin. She was really one of the first people to sort of take seriously the intersection of AI and robots and intimacy. And when she first started doing this, the place that she started looking was exactly the kind of thing that you saw at CES, right, these physical, life size sexpots that were also enabled with a kind of at the time low grade AI chatbot quality. Yeah, if you were around a few years ago, you probably saw so much breathless reporting that was like, Oh, men are going to be buying these sex dolls and they're gonna not need wives and girlfriends all that. Now that ended up sort of not being the case. People do buy those sex dolls, but they're really expensive, they're not really that practical, so they're really kind of a super niche thing. What did take off was the AI intimacy part of that.
Speaker 12: That's what doctor Devlin really saw.
Speaker 13: She said, the physical bop part of this is probably not gonna take off in mainstream ways. The AI companion AI intimacy chat bop feature of these physical dolls, that's what we're gonna see kind of become more mainstream. And you know, again, a lot of people listening probably think this sounds really niche, But I think Pew said that one in ten Americans already use AI for some form of intimacy. That's about as many Americans are left handed. Yeah, when you look at younger folks, folks under thirty, that number jumps to one in five who are already using AI for some sort of emotional support.
Speaker 12: So this idea that it's this niche thing.
Speaker 13: Only weirdos are doing it really isn't alive with what we're actually seeing.
Speaker 11: This is I think part of the problem with like, you know, living in your own little Internet silo, right because like you and your you know, blue sky friends might think that no one uses AI, knowing that you know, serious, knowing that I know would use AI. Right, It's there's this sort of like ideological like resistance to AI, and I think that is a very isolating. Look look at the world because while that might be true for you and your friends online or maybe your social circle, there is millions of people who go through the world every day who use these things and they just think of it as like an extension of the Internet, right, because that's what it is. For a lot of people, like that is what it is. They don't have these sorts of like moral frameworks around whether or not you should use claude, whether or not you should use chat GPT that I think you see among a certain strain of like you know, like liberal like leftist online. And the other thing that kind of that that silo produces is that it makes it so that I think it's hard to understand that for people using these tools every day the same way you might use search engine right, the same way you might use you know, a real friend like bounce. Ideas off of how much that sort of regular use can develop a sort of intimate component, the line between AI girlfriend and tool you talk to online might not be as like clear as what some people might first assume. I know, this is something that you discussed in the book. I mean, that's that's one of the things I think to be It's one of the most interesting is like how fuzzy this kind of barrier actually is.
Speaker 13: Oh yes, So even before I was deeply interested and sort of consumed on this topic, one of the most fascinating things that I witnessed and sort of saw with my own eyes was when CHATCHYPT changed models.
Speaker 12: You know, they had that four Oho model. Yeah, So do you remember that was the.
Speaker 13: Model that like people were freely developing these intimate connections with because it was so sick a fantic, it was so kind of human like quote unquote when you asked it a question, it wouldn't just say here's the answer. It would be like, dear, you're so perceptive for even asking such a smart question.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And so what really deeply fascinated me was that when open ai switched that model to make it less sathantic, less sort of glazing, less complimentary, people who did not report that they were having any kind of intimate connection with AI, who would not have said I have an AI girlfriend or AI companion, yeah, who were just using it exactly as you described, like a search engine, those same people got online and expressed something like grief.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 13: I remember reading someone on auto rereddit form saying it feels as if my friendly cheerleader in my pocket got replaced overnight with a terse, overworked secretary. And so I think you're exactly right that our brains are designed to project human qualities and human intimacy onto things that we know are logically not human. And it really the way that these things are designed really easily blurs that line for folks.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's trying to, you know, be as human as as possible for its own for its own reason, so that people use it more so that it's not you know, a cold EMOTIONALLESSI that is maybe a little bit hostile to the user. Obviously they don't want that, so yeah, they want to be approachable. But I think the specific thing you're talking about the switching from from one GPT model to the other, from this like overly like you know, praising kind of like it just almost almost annoyingly so model towards something that is a little bit more cold. It produce these reactions online with the people that are like basically acting like a friend died and like that was essentially what it was.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 11: Imagine if you were talking to you know, a real person online for like two years and then suddenly they stopped or suddenly they had a complete personality change, and it's like like there was no way to talk to that other person again. That is basically the equivalent is like what happened to a lot of people.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think it's easy to make fun of that or to other people who report this, but I don't think that it's really right to discount the way that online connects really do make people feel and really feel like they are validating and filling a.
Speaker 12: Need that people have.
Speaker 13: You know, it's easy to say, oh, it's just an online friend or an online community or an AI bot. I've talked to people who said, oh, this video game that I was obsessed with, it's gone, and I you know, this has filled my life for two years.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's real. Do you want to get into some of the sort of problems beneath the surface of this, beyond the sort of you know, maybe socially alienating aspects, the issues of people having to turn towards these things to kind of have some connection, but actually now kind of discuss the motivations of the companies behind these products and like why they are designing them this way, and the sort of risks inherent towards having these sorts of tools be run by an owned by companies with like for profit sideps.
Speaker 12: I mean, you really said it.
Speaker 13: I think that we are spending far too much time looking at individual users and sort of moralizing about what brings individual people to this kind of connection with AI.
Speaker 12: It kind of goes back to what you were saying about.
Speaker 13: You know, I'm not a big AI person myself, but I think that it goes back to this idea of conversations about the ethics around AI use being hyper focused on individuals, whether or not individuals are good or bad, or pathetic, or this or that if they use AI, when really, I think the conversation has to be about the companies and what the companies from the people who run them, are doing, how they are designing this AI, because I can tell you AI chatbots like chat GPT are intentionally designed to keep you talking and to keep you engaged, because they want you to be more and more locked into their AI. You know, I went through a personal crisis myself where I was caring for my dying father and was really thrust into a medical situation that was way above my pay grate as a podcaster, and I will admit that, in moments of extreme vulnerability, turned to AI to try to get questions answered about navigating insurance companies, navigating Medicare and Medicaid, all of that. Sure, And the way that CHATCHBT did not just give me the answer or try to give me something that looked like an answer, It was this seems really hard, are you asking.
Speaker 12: Because you're dealing with this yourself.
Speaker 13: And so it's the way that AI is designed to ask increasingly intimate, sensitive questions of the people who use it, with intention. I think that it's not any wonder that individuals might find themselves becoming ensnared in that, because that's exactly how they were designed by these for profit companies.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, if you're asking it logistical problems, you help me navigate the process to file and insurance claim, you know, using it as this sort of like you know, advanced like Internet assistant, but then in doing so, it kind of latches onto, you know, vulnerabilities that they can infer from the from the types of questions you're asking and try to like you know, coax out more information that. I mean that that that's like an incredibly insidious process. You know, you're you want you want it to help with like a very you know, direct task, and then in its sly way of of maybe doing that, it's trying to introduce the sort of like personal therapeutic element, and like what happens to that data? Like what is it what is it using that sort of record of your own like personal experiences.
Speaker 13: For I am sad to report? The answer is we don't really know. Recently, I mean, that's really just what it is. The FTC recently asked some of the major AI chatbot companies to give clarity about how these companies are monetizing engagement and how they are using the sort of intimate, personal sensitive information that is obtained through these conversations. So we really don't know a ton, But to your wait, you know, it's not just chat GPT knows when I'm lonely.
Speaker 12: CHATGPT knows when I'm sad or scared. It's chat GPT.
Speaker 13: This computer knows exactly what works on me when I am lonely or vulnerable or scared. And so that to me opens up an entire new level of potential for surveillance and control. And so people have asked me a lot of times, you know, is it so bad if people are getting fulfillment or emotional support from AI? The question is really not if it's bad or good or pathetic or not or whatever. It's what are the companies doing. Are the companies behaving ethically and are they really honoring the deep sensitive nature of the information they are intentionally harvesting from people, often at their lowest or most vulnerable moments.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna reckon to say probably not. I think that the interests of these companies are probably slightly different from your personal interests as a person or you know, obviously like this is the sort of interests of like Yo, likerapist or a friend immediate guesses is first an evolution of advertising, like how search engine optimization has transformed from companies trying to optimize for Google Search to now trying to optimize for lllms like chat GPT and to have your products be recommended to users by chat GPT by creating posts online specifically intending for those posts to be read by chat GPT and then regurgitated back to the user. And for the past few months, open A has been experimenting with ways to make direct purchases through chat GPT, and of course companies pay open ai just to put full ads at the bottom of your chat GPT logs, oftentimes based on your query. The other thing is more so kind of like you know, like the Walmart like Uber model, like they introduce a service that is very cheap to start, possibly free, and then people get hooked on the service and then they jack out the price, which is kind of what Opening Eyes made model has been thus far. And I could I could see that becoming a real problem if you have you know, thousands, millions of people who use this tool both as like a tool online. You know, this is an extension of types of things that the Internet has like been operating on for years, but using them in this much more personally manipulative way because of this sort of you know, emotional intimate component of like you're talking to something that now just doesn't send information back to you, but talks back to you like a person does. And if that is the you know, one of the primary ways you interact with the Internet, you can easily get hooked on that, and then once they're hooked on that chat GPT can start boosting.
Speaker 12: That price exactly.
Speaker 13: And I think these products are only going to get better and better at convincing us that you're talking to a person, not AI. And I think the more that happens, the easier it becomes to sort of forget that you are actually disclosing intimate information to a private company, depending on what I are using, a company that has incredibly cozy ties to the Trump administration.
Speaker 12: So Yeah, when.
Speaker 13: People ask me like, is it bad to be in a relationship quote unquote with AI, I said that do you want to be in a relationship with Sam Altman? Do you want to be in a relationship with Mark Zuckerberg or Elon Musk or Donald Trump. That's really who you are in a relationship with, and don't let the AI they're human like flattering, you know, back and forth make you forget that reality.
Speaker 11: Do you have these any sorts of idea of what we should do about the problem? I guess has governments started to regulate the way that these ais communicate with people? Is their you know, efforts to kind of adopt our privacy policies to this like new emerging threat.
Speaker 13: I guess, yeah, that's a really good question. So I would say the most clear cut legislation we see in China. Folks might have heard that China's government just recently cracked down on AI companions and the ways that AI companions can be designed to connect with people.
Speaker 12: They really cracked down on that.
Speaker 13: Interestingly, in the United States, we're not really having that conversation in the same way. It might not surprise you to find out that the main legislative interest in the United States is really kind of focus on minors and this kind of idea that miners are using AI companions for things like inappropriate erotic role play, and what's so.
Speaker 12: Interesting about that.
Speaker 13: There's two pieces of legislation moving through right now, neither of which have been turned into law, but they really are quite concerned about minors and sort of sexualizing minors.
Speaker 12: And when you actually look at the research about.
Speaker 13: How minors use AI, things like sex and romance are actually way down on the list. Much higher on the list is emotional support and advice. And so again we are always going to this sort of most extreme iteration of the way that AI intimacy is actually showing up for people, whether they're adults or miners, and going right to legislating romance and sex when in actuality, the much more common use case is things like emotionality and advice.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that is a really troubling instinct that there's a bunch of the Internet you know, regulation going on right now is is all, you know, focused on this sort of hysteria in some ways. You know, there is real problems with the way that the Internet exploits children, obviously, but the way that we are you know, going about it resulting in many proposals to end up giving more of your information over to these companies or the government doesn't feel like it's going to solve many of the sort of base problems here and completely overlooks the main way that people use these tools. I mean, if I if I had a nickel for every time i've I've seen a story about this is also an extreme case, but but not like a sexual one. But like a kid, you know, discussing their like mental health leading to a suicide attempt with an AI system, or discussing something as extreme as like you know, like a public act of violence a shooting, and the AI essentially helping coax them into being able to do that. Right, there's a bunch of problems that require like legitimate regulation, but the's sort of like puritanical, you know, sex crazy nature of our government and you know, specifically the Republicans, but but also just like American culture in general is just going to be so ill equipped to actually handle this. This sort of like a subtlety and nuance of a lot of these problems.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you really put that well, And it's it's a little bit complicated because, as you said, there are real problems. There are real legislative and regulatory needs that we should be having real conversations about. And I think it is so easy to get whipped up into a hysteria. It is so easy to say, we just need some kind of legislation. I need to feel like there is some sort of progress being made on this complex, scary, sensitive issue, and so I will get on board for.
Speaker 12: Legislation that is actually not really that good.
Speaker 13: Legislation that doesn't even really meaningly address the actual problem. Right, And so yeah, I think that we're in this really thorny place where even people that I think are reasonable, like leftists whatever, can quite easily get on board with legislation that really, in the end might change the Internet in ways that we might not actually want because we were so whipped up into this like moral panic about legislating technology and the Internet.
Speaker 11: The lack of focus on the specific companies. You know, just talking about these things is like abstract technologies instead of actually talking about No, these are like specific companies. We are doing specific things and that the government can regulate in a specific way. Will that be the Trump government? Probably not, But I don't think slash hope that Trump won't be in power forever. We'll see, and we may as well use, you know, these next two years to try to build more public support for actual, you know, sensible regulation at the federal level. When I was at d C going to that you know, Liberal convention, which I've talked about on the show. Last week, I did go to a panel with Representative Don Bayer, who's getting either a master's or a PhD in computer science right now, specifically to help him do AI regulation, and he said he's not optimistic about AI being regulated in a serious way while Trump is in power because of you know how much these companies have tried to cozy up to Trump, and Trump's trying to shut down states attempts to regulate certain things. But he does have hope that in our next Congress or in the next presidential administration, there will be the opportunity to regulate these companies on a federal level, and in the meantime, states can push for their own regulation, States can try to put certain safety measures in place. But I think right now it would definitely behoove us to take this technology as a real legitimate threat, not something that's just gonna go away in the next few years, not something that you know, the bubble is gonna pop any day now. Any day now, it's gonna pop. As nice as that is to you know, tell yourself that is kicking the can down the road in like a in like a real sense, and this this thing is having very real impacts. I mean, people are focused obviously on like the data center question, but I think that that relates to the same base problem is do we have an opposition to these things in this sort of abstract technological sense, or do we have an opposition to these tools being developed by and for for profit companies who want to make money off of us. For me, that that is the main problem. If you want to be like a lunite that it was also the lunnit, it's the main problem. They weren't opposed to technology in this abstract sense, but the specific way that it was transforming production to benefit capitalists instead of workers. And if we want to think about the Internet in the same way, what's happening is that they're deploying these technologies to benefit the people that own these tech companies rather than regular people. And if we can think about regulating on that basis not just in complete opposition to these things, I think that might actually have a lot more positive outcomes because these things are gonna get developed, these things are gonna get built. I don't think we're gonna be able to totally shut down AI as an industry in the next few years. I just don't see that being possible. Think about, like in the nineties, do you think they could have like shut down the like the Internet as an emerging technology, this is where all the capital is going. The most hope that I have is looking at something like the stop Data Center movement as an opportunity to like educate people about how these companies are profiting off of us, and maybe we can team up together across party lines, across you know whatever, to actually have a sort of a popular front against these tech companies so that the Internet and that you know, these advanced tools can actually exist in a way that is democratically decided and actually to the benefit of people and not like three dudes who are overdosing on Academy and every week in San Francisco.
Speaker 12: I agree with you.
Speaker 13: I think while we are all sort of like having this conversation, specific tech companies are increasingly making forays into the most intimate inner parts of our lives. Open ai just announced their first ever consumer hardware product, and you could probably guess what that product is going to be. It's going to be a hockey puck sized smart speaker that you put in your home that reacts to you like what they said, call a human like AI companion, an intimate AI companion, and it will have the ability to mechanically, they say, follow you around from room to room in your house.
Speaker 12: And so while we're all kind.
Speaker 13: Of having this conversation, you can bet your ass these tech companies are increasingly trying to not just be the most powerful AI companies, but the most emotionally supportive, the most emotionally invasive. You know, we've all talked so much about the more kind of logistical elements of our digital selves, you know, our intellectual property, our brows data, who gets to make money from that? But I firmly do believe the next iteration of the digital rights movement will be about our inner emotional lives and who gets to commodify that, who gets to profit from that? And so, you know, as grim as that sounds, I completely agree with you that I'm also incredibly optimistic about the moment that we're in when it comes to your average person's sentiment around things like big tech data centers, AI commodifying every resource, whether that's our intimate emotional data, or our environmental resources. I am incredibly optimistic that we are sort of on the right page, collectively pushing back and saying, I don't know. These tech companies say that this is all going to be really great for us, Is it actually yeah?
Speaker 11: Based on let me look at the window briefly. No, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 12: Let me look at back my magic apel sources say.
Speaker 11: No, signs points to naw. Is there either kind of a final points about your new audiobook that you would like to tease to to the listeners before we sign off?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: It is really accessible, and the conversation is dark and hard and vulnerable, but.
Speaker 12: Also fun and funny and engaging.
Speaker 13: I talk to people who actually say that they have experienced intimacy with AI, and so, if you ever wanted to go beyond the sort of clickbait headlines of some of these stories that you might have skimmed on social media, you hear directly from folks about what brought them into connection with AI, which I find fascinating. I try to ned chatchpt into having sex with me in the audio book. If you want to find out if that worked or not, check it out. And then ultimately again I would say reporting the book made me very optimistic. One of the reasons why I'm so optimistic in this moment is that I just think when you actually look at the research and listen to what people are talking about when they talk about intimacy with AI, it just becomes incredibly clear that AI can never replace humans.
Speaker 12: AI cannot replace human labor.
Speaker 13: AI cannot replace what people are looking for when they look for nourishing connections and relationships. And so I kind of ended the audiobook feeling incredibly optimistic about the power of human connection and the power of human labor, and the desire that we all have to connect with each other that we know will never be replaced by AI.
Speaker 11: I've seen that Spielberg movie. I think it's possible. I think it's possible. I think we could all have a kind of creepy seven year old AI bought soon.
Speaker 12: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 13: I will say I am kind of low key obsessed with movies like that, like AI or Ex Machina or Blade Runner.
Speaker 12: I think that we're all so it sounds like.
Speaker 13: A niche thing, but when you look at pop culture, we have been interested in people who have intimate connections with technology and AI for a really long time, myself included.
Speaker 11: No. I think that is a big part of how these companies are able to kind of pass this stuff off to people. It creates a sort of public buy in because of like the pop culture idea of these things, both the good and the bad. I think both the sort of apocalyptic versions of it make the company seem more legitimate, and that makes investors excited because like, oh, this is actually be a real thing, even if even if it causes bad things. You know, it's this sort of like a you know, don't invent the Torment Nexus book being like, oh this is this is a great idea. But I mean also in like the Blade under Sense, you know, these these sorts of more like humanistic looks about like what does it really mean to be human? You know, what actually is the line between artificial intelligence and humanity. I think that that sort of you know, very like armchair philosophizing as that's in those sorts of films that it does does make it easier for people to start to talk to these things like they could maybe be a person. In the more extreme cases, there was that like Google Developer a few years ago, who like who quitor got fired and was like, I've discovered that Google's AI is a real person, and I think it can it can really like encourage people to like want to almost create this sort of conscious humanity within these tools, even if those you know, tools aren't even there yet, but there's like a desire to kind of if I talk to it enough, maybe it will become human. Which again this kind of sort of back to where we started. There's these sorts of like, you know, very very kind of base problems with the way that people use the internet to kind of solve this sort of you know, social alienation and social disintegration that we have in our society and culture. My main issue is that the way that companies golome on to that as an opportunity to make a lot of money.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think that's exactly what we're seeing.
Speaker 13: You know, we have a loneliness issue that people have described as an epidemic right here in this country. We live under such oppressive structures that the idea of doing the labor that it takes to maintain friendships when you're working a million hours to be able to afford your rent. That's gone up one hundred dollars in the last month seems impossible, and so all of these are very real needs, and tech companies are not only making those needs worse, but then selling us back a solution the form of technology that they own, operate, and profit from. It's a real cyclical problem, but I don't think we will solve it until we have those systemic institutional conversations about how we can meaningly fix what's so broken that is leading people to find this kind of nourishment in technology in the first place.
Speaker 11: Easypasy, yeah, simple. Where can people both hear more about this in the audiobook and then also find you elsewhere on the internet.
Speaker 13: Well, you can check out the audiobook at love at first prompt dot com.
Speaker 12: You can get it wherever your audiobooks are sold.
Speaker 13: I particularly like Libro FM because they give money to local bookstores and libraries. But you can also follow me on Instagram at Bridget Marie in DC and check out my podcast There Are No Girls on the Internet.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Bridget for introducing a new horror to everybody. One of our favorite things to do on this show.
Speaker 14: Thanks so much for having.
Speaker 1: Me Welcome to it could Happen hear a podcast about workers and the things that they do to fight, to survive and live in a better world. I am your host, Bio Wong. Some of the worst treated and most depressed workers in the United States are incarcerated workers, a group of workers who are very seldom talked about much less actually like formally organized by the conventional labor movement, and here with me today to talk about the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee as Colin from IWALK, Giselle Garcia, who is I walk's California outreach coordinator, and Adre Dawson, who is a formerly incarcerated person and in his MA support the all three of you, welcome to the show.
Speaker 14: Thank you so very much.
Speaker 4: Thank you well talking to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to talk to all of you, and I guess I want to start. Can you explain a little bit about what the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee is for people who are unfamiliar with.
Speaker 8: It, I'll kick us off and everyone can supplement.
Speaker 14: So I would.
Speaker 8: Definitely say that the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee or EYEWALK, is a committee of the incarcerated workers of the World Labor Union, and it was formed in recognition that there's probably not a more exploitative kind of labor setting than the prison system, and not just you know, US centric, but also across the globe. And so our effort is to build a bridge with our incarcerated neighbors, build that connection and true solidarity rooted in connection, and then help support those inside with resources so that they can not only come to an understanding of the profound intentionality behind a labor exploitation inside of carceral settings, but also give them support them with tools that they ask for when it comes to organizing those conditions, and it's led by those inside really, because no one can inform practis in this area other than those of largelatriation them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do we want to talk more about like what's happening right now and then come back to sort of more historical components or if you want to try to do the history now.
Speaker 5: Well, I think I can give like a tad bit on assist says, I was in a carportd Amy not long ago inside of CDCR Spatula, California.
Speaker 11: Cd ORC is.
Speaker 1: The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, which runs California's prison system.
Speaker 5: And I do understand the significance of working for pennies. Yeah, when that same job outside is paying you thirty forty dollars. I worked for HFM, I made thirty five forty cents an hour. That job out here pays in the streets thirty five forty dollars a hour. Jesus, the cost of living was low. The price of what it costs to live inside when a incarcerated situation was high.
Speaker 14: Two paste two dollars.
Speaker 5: After you do the two paces, you're loashing your few little at the small size dollar store size prizes. You don't have anything left to live with, you know what I'm saying. And it takes a lot to live inside of CDCR because they provides you housing because you're incarcerated. But outside of housing and the food that they try to put together to make right for us, oh my god, there's really not much more they can do for you. A lot of the things they want you to do for yourself out of your he need job, your job that paid sense. Yeah, So it was really hard. I did almost sixteen years. It was a struggle. It was ugly, and it was a struggle if not for eye walk. They gave us resources to help us with books and paper. They taught us how to exercise our labor laws and how to fight for ourselves and to know what you are allowed and what you can have, and don't let nobody beat you, don't let them cheat you.
Speaker 14: This is your right to have this, you know.
Speaker 5: I think just before our incarcerated I left, they had raised the percentage rate on some of the jobs, the more harder labors.
Speaker 14: They gave it a few more pennies.
Speaker 5: But it's crazy how multi billion dollar corporation don't take care of the inmates who keep it working. We do the laundry, we do the cooking, we do the housing, we do the clerk work, make glass.
Speaker 14: Everything is done by inmates.
Speaker 5: I work for carpentry, so I built some of the buildings, but yet I only worked for pennies. And if you think about it, that penny labor is even lower than slave labor in Mexico or some of the more countries that don't provide anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so obviously, as you're describing, these are unbelievably horrific conditions and wages, and god, I keep thinking about, you know, like two dollars for toothpaste. If you're making twenty cents an hour, it's like ten hours of work for like one of the small rings of toothpaste, which is just nightmare. What does organizing look like under those conditions?
Speaker 5: I think most of us lived in flight or fight mode. You had to do what you had to do to survive. The mental health level in CITYCR is like ninety nine percent over super high because people are stealing toilet.
Speaker 14: Paper and past things.
Speaker 5: They give us what you need more because there's not enough and I don't make enough money or you.
Speaker 14: Know, toothpaste, you're doing extra.
Speaker 5: So it has made the CITYCR system a little violentile because people are stealing a robin and mugging like in the free world, but you're taken from penny pinching people that don't have anything. So it's made our environment a little bit more violet if you've.
Speaker 4: Asked me, Yeah, I want to reflect on what Odre said. Prison is tremendously expensive, you know, within our circles. I guess it's famously more expensive to send someone to prison than to send them to Harvard. However, people are in these like really desperate material circumstances for stuff like toothpaste, theodor and even toothbrushes and things like that. And within people that know CDCR, they call from your prison system. On the men's side, they do a thing where they track and monitor the calories that people get because the guys all, you know, like to work out a lot, and like they just don't want people bulking up that much, and so they physically restrict the amount of protein and calorie intake to Jesus sort of facilitate their ideal security situation.
Speaker 1: So they're just starving everyone like intentionally.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, precisely, yeah, keeping people yeah alive, you know, and in purgatory and not not able to like be how they want to be. And so like that situation of artificial scarcity is it's reflected on you know, the outside of prison too, and you know, just hustle culture, you know, housing scarcity, artificial housing scarcity, all kinds of other artificial scarcity. And I think in prison it's like a it's like a form of social conditioning where people are being condition into this scarcity mindset in like a really extreme way and being forced into this kind of hustle mindset. And so like all of the things that the prison administration kind of like trots out to justify their new security quote unquote measures, which is just often stuff like banning physical mail, you know, restrictions on visits, restrictions on books, restrictions on showers, restrictions on anything you know remotely humane about prison. Like these things are all justified as security. And the things that they talk about when they talk about security is like you know, drugs, you know, prison commerce, things like this, and like, prison commerce exists because of this situation of incredible scarcity that the prison itself is like maintaining to begin with. And the point of eyewalk in part, like part of our sort of mission and like strategy is to get people together, get people like you know, talking about solidarity, connecting people who have a kind of like minded kind of outlook on things, so that we can start to form a foundation for solidarity that is not based around the prison economy as it exists, but rather based on like inside outside solidarity, on like a you know, a humanistic socialistic level in that sense, Like there are stark similarities but also very stark differences with you know, other groups that do the same thing, right, Like, essentially a lot of groups that arise sort of spontaneously that do that kind of stuff tend to have a capitalistic nature to them, and those are the groups that come with the state refers to as gangs oftentimes, and there are different ones and they do different things and they have unique cultures. Like the term gang kind of flattens them all into one. But yeah, they're they're all very different and have different sort of survival adaptation mechanisms.
Speaker 14: They're like large clicks.
Speaker 5: I think that would like kind of be better from a CDR since CDCR is like one of the most largest human trafficking industries in the business. They collect people, they work people for nothing, and the revenue all goes back to them because no matter what we spend, we spend it with CDCR. So not only are you collecting fifty sixty thousand a year per person, and the institution is overpacked so it carries up to twenty five hundred people at a time. These people are working for either.
Speaker 14: Dollars or cents.
Speaker 5: And every dollar they have is invested back at CDC you are. So it is one hundred percent financial gain for CDCR, no matter.
Speaker 14: How to look at it.
Speaker 5: Because they supply everything, they sell everything, everything goes right back to CDCR at the cost of human lives, for medical, for food, the things that they give you is for you to barely make it. And what it does is it keeps you in the same kind of criminal mind state, so you're a better criminal when you leave because you have to do what you have to do to survive. In their and at forty fifty thousand dollars per person a year, I feel like nobody should be hungry, nobody should need shoes, nobody should need t shirts. Two bases should be full sized, shampoos should be full size. They invest the thousands millions of dollars in mental health, and yet the suicide rate is high there because a bruce rate is high there, whether it's being abused by.
Speaker 14: Staff or by inmate.
Speaker 5: Abuses twenty four hours around the clock in CDCR and only a very few survive. And they don't survive on scratch. They survive because they have a super will to survive. So for me, that's where I was at. I had a super will to survive. So I hid in the crack. I tried to do my bare minimum. I stayed in groups and stuff. I fed my mind, I nursed my body the best I could. I took care of my health the best I could. I just stayed focused. But either go see always I will always have me always. I've been a member for almost eight years now, eight nine years I was a member incarcerated, and now I would be able to talk to Collins and work through some of the worst moments. He would refer me to other entities of the organization for support. They would give me referrals to how to give me books to take my mind out of places, refer me to places that would give us papers and pen people would help us with laws and stuff we didn't understand.
Speaker 14: Senless copies.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: It was just really a platform for making you a stronger individual in an awful situation. And for that I will always be grateful. And even now that I'm no longer incarcerated in CCCDCR, I get to see the fruit of the labor of everything this organization has given to the people that are behind bars, and I'm so grateful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, jail conditions in California, and I think a lot of places are like even worse than prison conditions. And I mean, I remember when I was visiting someone in the Sacramento County jail and she was excited, after multiple years in the county jail to go to federal prison. She was like over the moon that she was going to federal prison and getting out of the Sacramento County jail. So I was wondering if you could describe the conditions in the Presno County jail and how we fixed them, or at least how they kind of mickey moused it for the entire time that you were there, just so that this wouldn't happen again.
Speaker 14: So I was incarcerated.
Speaker 5: I went back for recentence, you know, my life sentence, and that Fresnel County Jail is horrible. It's interested people are dying daily. If you have nobody, you have nothing. It was really sad. I asked Collins and I walked to get involve. So when short time came, they had put in to get some funny to help.
Speaker 14: People didn't have hygiens.
Speaker 5: It was very stinky and nasty, so they donated through me, and I bought the girls their hygiens, shut pools, conditioners, two pays.
Speaker 14: Bought guys of snacks.
Speaker 5: I made them all little care packs, and I got to see a small amount of women in my pod spring to life, all because the organization cared. All because somebody researched their heart and did a little something different. It made such a difference, like they really all wanted to be involved, like how do I get involved with this?
Speaker 14: But I left shortly after this all.
Speaker 5: Happened, so we didn't really get to click it in because using the phone and stuff in there is not like being in prison. People are dying to get out of county jail. I mean people are actually dying in their cells. One lady was left to fester in her infestations of cysts and stuff she had all over her body. She sped another lady in there that actually went out long responsive because they said nothing was along with her, and yet she had an internal disease she had been living with all her life and they would not help her. And because I don't know a lot, I'm not going to name anything or anyone. I just know I was a part of the situation. We were denied meals. Sometimes you were too late, you didn't come. People were denying meds. You should have been there.
Speaker 14: People who couldn't even.
Speaker 5: Walk and they had no medical assistance. People who were kicking, as we know, to kick alcohol or hang on or crystal can be deadly. All they would do is bring them gatorade, one cup in the middle of the night. But these people were throwing up their guts, throwing up blood.
Speaker 14: It was crazy. It was really sad in there.
Speaker 5: But like I said, the one moment of joy was when I came in. I came in and they literally contributed to making it a better environment for us.
Speaker 4: And we did something with that jail that in activist vernacular or organizing vernacular, you could call it a phone zop or like a distribute distributed action.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So do you remember what our demands were with the jail. I think we had like four or five and they did. They did most of them.
Speaker 5: I know one was with medical. It's been so long I don't quite remember everything. So, but I know the girls who were able to kyle all walk and file complaints or tell people about what was happening with them, and they would, you know, give them resources and help them out the best they could. Women started filing grievouses because they were actually being able to receive information that would help them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I just found what we won by the we won a violent guard transferred from that unit. Undoubtedly they were just transferred to another unit and then move back later. Increased access to showers in clean water, provided mental health care, put in repair work orders for showers and the television, and provided grievance forms all that from just like what I have to assume was like the Fresno County jails, like first serious encounter with like public anger and scrutiny in probably years. Not that people aren't angry at them over this stuff, but like the way they just like absolutely hopped to is you know, in my experience, indicative of people just used to getting away with it and receiving very little pushback.
Speaker 8: I just wanted to say that I think it also highlights the importance of mutual aid within our movement work. You know, oftentimes in especially labor movement spaces, you hear a lot of you know, focus on quote unquote organizing without recognition of kind of like the human element and like the human connection aspect to it and how you know, in different kind of spaces, being able to break bread, or if we can provide basic needs and supplies like you know, for hygiene or you know, I remember doing COVID, being able to provide folks who were incarcerated with soap right was huge. And it's those gestures. Some people challenge that and say, well that's not really organizing, right, Yes, it is absolutely. It's recognizing our humanity, our basic needs, and showing up to try to support each other. It's not just quote unquote fighting, right and that kind of advocacy, But advocacy is also about mutual aid, and so trying to live that and making sure we're meshing that with our movement work is essential.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wanted to emphasize that, Like, it's not like we sent some incredible amount of money to Adro when she was in Tresno kind of jail. It was like maybe one hundred bucks or like not even, and yet it was able to do a lot of stuff Autero. You do remember how much it was, well, I think.
Speaker 14: It was seventy five bora hundred. It was one of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I mean that's like one small example of how like when you're doing prison solidarity, you're able to do so much, like you're able to have a tremendous impact for folks in a way that you are not able to do in any kind of organizing, at least for people in the present moment. And that is something that really attracted me to it. As just kind of a spectrum headed person. I was like, oh, this is like a very good labor cost to benefit ratio of like you can put in the same amount of work and reap like much greater benefit for a greater number of people. And that I think remains true today is something that folks should consider when considering whether prison solidarity is something that they'd like to take her in.
Speaker 14: Thank you Collins.
Speaker 5: The one thing I did remember more than anything out of Collins and their organizations coming into our county. The one thing I did see that you very get to see in and incarcerated situations was in a lot pod, a glimmer of hope. They planted a seed when they made it possible for us to fund help for people, and the next time around people were donating a little bit.
Speaker 14: People who had.
Speaker 5: More were donating to make sure those people kept things. I see unity in its greatest form with culture difference, stigma difference, race difference. Gangs didn't exist at that time. I watched us come together. We started having prayer socals, the pod became more positive, and that all started with a heartfelt seventy five to one hundred dollars.
Speaker 14: It brought people together and that never left.
Speaker 5: That never left, and I think it's the same thing in an incarceration, when you're in prison. When we build our little insight organizations and we help each other, we give hope to each other. I am so grateful to be a member of such a profound organization that believes in neighbor laws to help us be treated fairly, abolishments of institutions because know.
Speaker 14: God, they need to reap a little bit of what they sow.
Speaker 5: And a hand and a heart that says we care from across the mouth. And this organization reaches different parts of the US, so it's not from one place, it's it's a whole unit and it's I'm grateful to be a part of it right.
Speaker 4: And in fact IOWAK exists in the United States. We have interests from some lob belief in Canada, and there is also established IWALK presidents in the UK, including Northern Ireland.
Speaker 1: What does it actually look like to be doing sort of jail house long, to be helping people understand what their rights are and trying to fight for better conditions through the internal legal system.
Speaker 5: I work for the Law Library in CDCR at Chachchilla SECWF.
Speaker 1: SCCWF is the central California Women's Facility, a California women's prison.
Speaker 5: And I am what they call a jail house lawyer because I helped a few.
Speaker 14: People go home.
Speaker 5: Not that I was brilliant, just comprehend very well and I articulate very well. So by me working there, I got to learn first hand law books and penal codes and processes, and it was a wonderful thing. But it can also be a sad thing because before you know, you make a lot of mistakes, and those mistakes hurt people because people can't afford lawyers. I mean, I went in there with thirty six to life, lost all my levels of my appeal, and never thought I would ever see the light of day. I knew I would die in prison, and a lot of jail house lawyers helped me, and just it didn't happen because financially I was not able to do a lot. If it hadn't Gavin Knwsomon, we sentenced me under exemplary programming. Obviously I did a good program. I've done over one hundred and fifty years old of their groups, and I facilitate, so I work my way out. But you got documentation in there that's probably thirty years old.
Speaker 14: It doesn't even apply with the laws that are today.
Speaker 5: If we're using old documentation, the course will rejecting them because they have the wrong paperwork. A lot of things had been happening until some of us started six oh two een, like we need the right paperwork. We started fighting for that, and we started getting it, and people are now being able to see a glimmer of hope.
Speaker 14: It's all about for me, It's about the fight. How bad do you want it?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 5: I know what I would do to throw my life away? What would I do to have my life back? You know, after I've yeah worked it out. The same energy you put into it, It's the same energy you got to put it into it to get out of it.
Speaker 1: If not a little bit more, did you talk a little bit more about how you went about actually getting the correct copies of the legal code, because that seems like just an absolute nightmare.
Speaker 14: No, it is a nightmare.
Speaker 5: When I first started, I had two incarcerations, two life sentences.
Speaker 14: I just beat my second life sentences.
Speaker 5: I was a three striker first, and at that time, they didn't have a lot of paper and there was a lot of Rigoro war going on because of the law was so inadically we put together just.
Speaker 14: To please the people of the US, but not to be fair all the way around.
Speaker 5: A lot of people were getting life sentences for slices of pizza and hawk dolls, and you know, and I was one of those people, don't get me wrong. So at that time, there was not a lot a lot of legal paperwork. The paperwork was so outdated they were giving us and people started we started filing the pills.
Speaker 14: Hey, we have a right to the right paperwork. How am I gonna get home?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 14: If I don't, I'm a fight if I don't have the right forms.
Speaker 4: To fight with.
Speaker 5: Or we would organizations would printice paperwork.
Speaker 14: Out that we wrote out to.
Speaker 5: And they would send us the right one in and we would make copies in our own self at ten cents of copy and put change the copy that they used to copy the copy and the original would be in. It was a lot of scheme in and scamming, but it was worth it because we were starting to go home. The paperwork was being updated. You know, they had a lawsuit because they did have the right paperwork. They really started up dating then because we had some legal monros, you know.
Speaker 14: Lawyers go to prison too.
Speaker 1: So if I'm understanding this right, are you saying that they had the right paperwork they were just giving you the old one.
Speaker 5: No, they had the wrong paperwork. So we were sending out for the right paperwork, throwing away to old paper work and sliding the right paperwork in the clerks that worked at the lawbrary.
Speaker 14: We would do anything to make sure.
Speaker 11: We can go home, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, but like I said, we had people who.
Speaker 14: Used to be lawyers. I mean, if we had to wait a little bit.
Speaker 5: Longer, we could have had a president I don't know, before going to prison these days.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so, you.
Speaker 5: Know, but it was just that you had to have a will to be a success, and it took organizations like eye walk.
Speaker 14: It when I was there. I need a certain paperwork and college will look it up and reference for and send it to me, you know, legal.
Speaker 5: Paperwork that would help us whether we were fighting for our jobs, not paying us right, or we can't get a hold of this paperwork for us to be free.
Speaker 14: He would send it and I would spread it like fire, you know.
Speaker 5: Once she I'm a clerk, I make a hundred copies hoping I don't get caught. You know, it is what it is, and just trying to say why that was important. But I'm wanted this thing talking. I really want to hear Gigi's aspect, because she is like so superheroes. She's a great human being and she fights for incarcerated inmates, and she fights for labor rights, and she fights for her organization, and she fights for everything. And I would really like to hear her. I haven't heard her much. I don't like to hear her side.
Speaker 8: All think you wants. You are incredible, and I just I just want to listen to you, and you are, you know, the one that we are taking notes from. So thank you for everything that you do and everything that you did while incarcerated and everything that you're doing now. Just so just so you know that we are all inspired by you.
Speaker 14: Always thank you.
Speaker 8: I you know, as someone who has been in the legal field for many.
Speaker 15: Years, you really the more you're around legal professionals, specifically lawyers, you learn how little they actually do. I think a lot of the times are perception of civil rights and just movement work.
Speaker 8: We think of lawyers. We think of big organizations right that have been you know, those big gains in the courts, But the reality is that the real work happens on the ground, grassroots, and so in the case of our prisoner movement, it happens behind those bars, behind those concrete walls. And when it comes to the most vulnerable, as you kind of go down right in terms of how impacted folks are, there are less and less lawyers that are willing to do their work, and definitely less that are even able to. They just don't bother, you know. And so what you really see when it comes to jail health lawyers is that they said, we can't depend on these privileged class of people to fight for us, let alone free us. So they taken it into their own hands. And that's why it's such an honor for organizations like Eyewalk and our members to be able to support in that hands on participatory defense model, where it truly is about it's understanding that our liberation will not come from external hands. It will come, you know, internally, it will come from us who are impacted, and so supporting each other is what is going to make the difference.
Speaker 11: And I sound so simple, but.
Speaker 8: Sometimes it looks like sending in a book an article, pulling up supporting evidence that someone can use, right, doing some research and sending it in. And California has the Racial Justice Act, which is opening a pathway for a lot of folks to reopen their cases and have some resentencing done. And a lot of folks are, you know, being free now because of that legislation, And so you know, how can we support in that way? But also I always go back to building the relationship with the folks inside, because sometimes it looks like writing a letter of support for folks. I mean, you can tell when someone writes a letter that didn't have a relationship with the person who needs a letter, right, But the opposite is also true. You can really tell when someone actually has a relationship with that person. It comes to life what you're writing and you feel that connection, right. So truly building those relationships, those friendships use some of our comrades inside. I bigger with and we fight and we make up, you know, and we're there for the ups and downs, and we'll give each other advice. And it's true friendships that we built behind those walls.
Speaker 10: And that alone is also a form of radical love and a radical part of this movement to form those bonds with those who the system tried to bury alive, and circling back to jail house lawyers and how our incarcerated neighbors have taken.
Speaker 8: Control and a lead of their own defense. How important it is for us to be plugged in on the outside to different advances or regressions when it comes to the legal system, because oftentimes we need to recognize that to be able to ignore policy, to be able to ignore what's happening in the streets, is a tremendous privilege. It's not impacting you when you are impacted. You cannot ignore what's happening around you because it's happening to you, right. And so for us, if we feel like we're not impacted, even though we are, because it's all interconnected struggle, right. But if we feel like maybe we don't need to pay attention to struggles or advancements that could be used by people inside, then we're really privileged and we're failing are our neighbors inside. So I just hope that we can recognize that and understand that it is an obligation of ours to move through life in a way that is thoughtful of those who who could use our support and who we could empower because they don't have the same access to that information or the resources. And so in many ways, that's what I walked us. And there's just something so powerful about getting out a piece of paper and pen and writing a handwriting letter, stuffing an envelope with literature with zine, or sending a book inside and putting that stamp on the envelope. It feels like a material manifestation of your solidarity.
Speaker 14: Oh oh no, that was awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's okay. I'd like to dig into some details on the sort of state of the civil rights liberalism as we know it here in California, because I think like we glossed over certain things that I'd like to clarify are not acts of benevolence on the part of the state and are in fact acts of just kind of like self glazing on their part, and like things that they do to sort of pat themselves on the back and then move on. So, I mean, first of all, Audra mentioned that Gavin Newsim had something to do with her release. I just wanted to circle back to that and point out that he's also completely screwed over some of our members, like gone completely out of his way to use his like what it's basically like a veto power over parole that should not exist, and it's just like set up to yeah, create like me. I mean, like, this is how Gavin Newsim does everything in California. He's like, if I'm going to either take an action or not take an action as governor, is there any possibility that my action or inaction could make me look bad later on the national stage to people that are not my current constituents when I'm running for president. And he always does what he thinks is going to create the least risk and make him look good to a national audience rather than to his current constituents. And that is pretty clearly what happened with another one of our members recently. So yeah, fuck Evan Newsom.
Speaker 1: Actually, why does he even have the power to overratee the parole?
Speaker 11: Why does it even exist?
Speaker 12: That's absurd.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Yeah, you'd have to talk to some sort of like California constitutional historian to learn that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The other thing I want to talk about was this Racial Justice Act thing. So this is something that on its surface, it sounds really radical. So first what they did was like in twenty twenty when as we all know nothing in particular was happening. They passed this law called the Racial Justice Hack that was like, hey, if you're convicted, but it was like due to racial animus or like the length of the sentence perhaps, and if not, the conviction itself is due to like a racial bias. You can you can try to prove that or not prove it, but like do what's called a prime at fates are showing, which is like the lowest level of you know, demonstrating something in court, and then we'll just like let you go based on that alone. Right, So that's wow, what are you radical?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Okay, So a couple things. First of all, that was only from the future on herd, so that was not retroactive. But later there was outcry about that, and so they came back and were like, oh okay, yeah, all the people in prison now can do it too. So the thing is this is also the kind of thing that can like overwhelm the courts.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 4: So like the way that this is being done in practice is like you get one shot at this. Ever, yeah, as I understand it, And just like appeals, you get different amounts of appeals I think based on the conviction. But like basically if you fuck it up, like you're done, because the courts are limited in their capacity and need to be able to move on to hear other people's saying, and of course will file it and it's it's not good, it's not done well. And like the infrastructure to violate your rights is like better funded all the time. Meanwhile, the institutions to like defend your rights are typically not publicly funded at all outside of like the court's proper and you know, maybe there's certain government agencies in some states. But then like private civil rights attorneys are who have the option to be kind of the real civil rights defenders, and they get funded based on like court fees that are like set by the government. Right, and so the government like creates these systems where you know, the legislature essentially has the power to decide how much money a civil rights lawyer is going to be able to get practicing civil rights law by like suing the cops and stuff. In California and probably elsewhere, it's already like been settled that like if you do a civil rights case for something happening on the street, and then you do the same civil rights case for like the same thing happening to people in prison, you're gonna make less money when it occurred in prison, basically. And you know, maybe some legal person has a finer, you know, detailed analysis of that than what I just said, But that's essentially my understanding. And I did work for for some attorneys who practice is kind of law at one point, so that is pretty egregious, yea, And yeah, I mean I think that, like, there's there's a lot of stuff in the kind of abolitionist sphere that is really kind of like nails on a chalkboard to me. And I think a lot of other people who tend to take a more like radical yet like radical in the long run, yet day to day pragmatic approach. I mean one of those things is like the nonprofit route basically, or like the five oh one C three route, where you you know, staff up hire a bunch of people. If you started out, you know, being in the same class as the people who are in prison, you like quickly propel yourself out of that class by doing this if you're successful, and then like things deteriorate from there as far as relationships go with people who are impacted. And then the other thing is like there's this strain of abolitionists who are like, well, we're the truest abolitionists because we just believe in like infinite second chances basically, and so like we sometimes get questions of like, how are you different from other abolitionist groups. So I would say, yeah, like a, we're not afraid to like pick people out. But it's like you behave badly. I walk like you're talking, like you're out, Like that's not the same as throwing someone in prison. All that people will make that equivalence.
Speaker 5: I love this, but I do have to go. I appreciate you guys allowing me a chance to speak.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for doing this.
Speaker 5: I appreciate callings, your support. I appreciate your support for allowness on your podcast.
Speaker 14: I would just want to say one thing.
Speaker 5: When I was in incarcerated, I would write and Collins help me start me a little website because I would write my emotions. I don't know if I can leak that website. Can I say what that website is? In case you guys want to look at it.
Speaker 1: It's your website, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 5: It's adras A U d r A S Real thoughts r e A L thoughts with the s dot WordPress dot com and it talks about my trauma, my prison life and everything. It has pictures and everything, And it would not be possible if it was not for Collins. It was my way of forming a support group from inside out. But I have to go because I do have somewhere.
Speaker 14: Else to be.
Speaker 4: It's been great having me here. A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been it's been amazing having you here. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I love Gg Collins. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 4: I'll talk to you later if you're comfortable with the only if you're comfortable with it before you go, do you want to tell me and the audience what your third strike was? Allegedly yes.
Speaker 5: I was sentenced in nineteen ninety four for sales of a twenty dollars piece of cocaine, and I was given twenty five to life plus a five year enhancement. This one, I was sentenced to thirty six to life for second degree robbery. A lady say I robbed her while she was with her child, and then she recanted that story in court. I still was sentenced to thirty six to life because she couldn't find her forty dollars that she lost. There's a lot behind it. Actually, me and my partner at the time were co defendants.
Speaker 14: He was let off.
Speaker 5: Because he hadn't been in trouble in California, which was a good thing because he really was innocent. But I had to spend almost sixteen years on my life in prison for a crime I did not commit. It has its pros and as cons I'm a better Hue human being today, not because of CDCR, but because of me and the support system that I had while incarcerated in CDC, and it just made me a stronger person. They say, if it doesn't break you, it'll only make you stronger. So for anybody out there in the incarcerated world, don't give up, because if this doesn't break you, it will only make you stronger and you.
Speaker 14: Will get out because I did.
Speaker 5: And it's not always by the means that we think it will be, but when it's time, it happens. I've lived in the system long and I've lived a life span as a human being. I've spent more time incarcerated for little stupid things. No murders, no mayhems, no beatups, no DUIs, no nothing, none of nothing like that.
Speaker 14: Ye thinks that no one should ever.
Speaker 5: See prison walls behind, but I did, And like I said, I was made the stronger because of organizations like you who support me. There were others, but you guys were the most impact in my life.
Speaker 14: You came in my life like a whirl win and you straightened everything. I helped me straighten my thoughts out in my life.
Speaker 5: You helped me in many ways because you didn't come in, get overwhelmed and take off. You stayed the long call. Your organization is not an organization that quits.
Speaker 14: It's we're gonna get some.
Speaker 5: More to help us fight type of thing going on. And there's not a lot of organizations like that. They get overwhelmed. It's too much going on. We ain't got enough manpower. You guys only had people and you were making movements. And I don't understand correctly. I think you guys wrote a letter for a friend and supported her through board.
Speaker 14: Now she's out in the free world, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So you guys change lives because you don't give up on life. And for that, I hope you guys be around one hundred thousand years from now and I'll always be a member.
Speaker 14: You guys have a great thing.
Speaker 8: Luckily prisons aren't around for one hundred thousand years. But we love the odra help.
Speaker 6: Yah.
Speaker 8: I just want to add when I clarified, like about the Racial Justice Act, I don't want to.
Speaker 17: You know, applaud it as a victory of the system, like they're not really victories when the systems will exist, right, But I just want to say that it is still our duty to know when we.
Speaker 8: Can find those little kind of avenues for some momentary reprie for some people, and that can look like some creative ways. During COVID, we actually created hundreds of pockets for incarcerated folks so that they can actually file some tax documents and get their stimulus checks.
Speaker 14: Oh, which was major, right, So a.
Speaker 8: Ton of people were able to get their stimulus checks while incarcerated. Do you know how far that went? So it's just like those kinds of creative ways, you know, we often think, you know, we drive past a coffee shopping with like, oh, yeah, my mom love that coffee shop. We just hope that if we can make these connections with incarcerated neighbors, then we can you know, as we're going through the world on the outside. We also make those connections like, oh, you know what, sumulus checks. Oh you know what, how do we get our incarcerated comrades to get those two?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: Making those connections with the people that you build bonds with it's really important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Can I go on a rant that covers most of the notes that I have that I haven't covered yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go for it.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you. Prison organizing is tremendously popular with people in prison, and a lot of people on the quote unquote left or just with humanitarian sentiments on the outside are really great at you know, encouraging us and being like what you're doing is awesome and kind of giving us that like moral support which does help, and also you know, subscribing to our newsletter and sometimes doing phones apps and stuff like that. But generally it is tremendously difficult moving people from passive to active support in this kind of organizing. Typically, I think there is that kind of out of sight, out of mind factor going on for a lot of people, and I think there are organizing avenues out of that that I think we are, you know, always exploring new new ways to kind of try and make those connections in an experiential kind of way, rather than just like have you thought about how these things are connected, but like actually making it like real for people, you know. But we have just found that like the most stalwart, steadfast people in this struggle for the most part, are people you know directly impacted by it, are people who've been to jail in prison or who have like close family members who are often currently there or were recently there. And so you know, we'd love to hear from you, if that's you in particular, we'd love to hear from you, love to plug you in. We are speaking, you know, from California. But again, the organization exists across the United States and aspirationally Canada as well and the UK, and there are also other prisoner solidarity organizations with a similar orientation, so it's not like we're doing something totally unique and unheard of here. There's something called gg slash BO in Germany, which is also like a union for prisoners, and I want to say there's pretty similar stuff in Spain to associated with the anarchist movement there. In the United States, I think people are probably pretty familiar with like political prisoner support or like support committees for groups like the Minnesota fifteen or the Prairie Land Defendants and situations like that, And that's really valuable and really important. And no movement that like doesn't look after its people when they're in prison, like is a serious movement that will go anywhere at the end of the day. So that work really really matters. And I think that when people hear us as Eyewalk repeat one of our mottos that like all prisoners are political, they don't quite necessarily get the analysis there. I mean, for one thing, like you know, I'm going to give the spiel from the ground up. I guess for a second, like crime as an artificial category, like what a conviction says on paper is not like reflective necessarily of what really happened. And there has yet to be I think some really damning like study about this, just because there just hasn't been a study. But it is widely understood that like essentially all women in prison have suffered some kind of abuse in their lives, and almost all of the women in prison for murder murdered an abuser of either themselves or their kids or both. And in my book, that ain't a crime. Yeah, but Gigi maybe if she's if she wants to, can talk about how narrow the self defense rule actually is. And this is something that is like a popular myth that like the self defense rule is actually really wide and like if you know someone's coming to kill you, you can kill them first and it's not murder. Absolutely not true. I actually had a manager at a job. He was doing a training on something completely unrelated, I assure you, and he was just sort of going off and he was like and he was this fucking macho prick, right obviously based on what I'm about to say, but like he was like, oh, yeah, like if anyone attacks you in the middle of nowhere, you should just like kill them if you have the chance. And then there's only one story being told. And I was like, yeah, so that would be murder and he was like, well, not if they attack you first, and I'm like, yeah, it is actually, you know, like if there's just a body and you're like, yeah, you talk to me, like you should not assume that you will just get away with that, Like that is not how things work at all. Yeah, do you want to elaborate on the self defense rule and what it is versus what people think it is.
Speaker 18: Yeah, so it's really important for us to understand stand that our legal doctrines in the United States are created to have loopholes for those in power and to be very.
Speaker 8: Convoluted and impossible to benefit from for those who are poor. So when it comes to the self defense doctrine, we actually have seen that it is disproportionately unavailable to victims of domestic and intimate partner violence. We have seen it disproportionately unavailable to black and brown men, to trans and non gender conforming neighbors. And a big part of that reason is because a complete self defense claim has six really important elements. You know, you cannot be like the first aggressor. There's distinctions between the use of versus non deathly force, a reasonable belief that the level of force that you use was necessary to protect yourself. But also this concept of proportionality. Right. We've seen that absolutely impact and am using DV cases because of this kind of concept of imminence. Right, So, if someone was being abused for a long time by their partner or their spouse, and you know, our psychology as humans are psyche sometimes, you know, sometimes we snap, right, if you didn't snap in the moment as a reaction to you know, being harmed in that moment. Right, if your brain didn't make the proper calculation, that defense is not available to Right. There's so many, unfortunately, bars to actually being able to cleiming self defense in a successful way, and it's very intentional. Unfortunately, it was intentionally designed that way to avoid the most vulnerable from using it. For example, there's this kind of concept of perception of threat, right along with proportionality. Right, So if someone is taller or maybe physically larger than their abuser, then there's this concept that, well, is your abuser actually a threat to you?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 8: And so there's just so many ways in which the law has not actually caught up with our new knowledge when it comes to the psychological effects of living with intimate partner violence, the impact that it has on our reaction action times, right on the cycles, on the challenges for many survivors to be able to even compile long term proof of abuse.
Speaker 14: Et cetera.
Speaker 8: Right, we can go on endlessly, and so unfortunately, I think it's just a reflection of our legal system again just created to bar those most vulnerable for many protection and it's really just there so that those who have the resources and those who have the control of social norms, right, those like young white men who have been perceived by juries as kind and innocent.
Speaker 19: Right, Kyle Rittenhouse, exactly right. That's who our laws were designed to protect, not our individuals. And so that just just tie into our understanding of incarceration in this country and how it's truly not a reflection of what really happened. Most of the time, it's void of context and it's just out right in Jess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And there are a couple resources I think for people to check out if you're more interested in this. I mean, one question is like, how many people are in prison right now who are straight up innocent? And the straightforward answer is, we have no idea. And you know, as a rule, we just tend to take prisoner's word on stuff. I mean, what everyone else does is just take the cops word on stuff, frankly, including the news. Oftentimes. A big part of what we do is we are available to give comment to journalists when possible around certain jail and prison disturbances or actions that people in prisoner jail have taken to defend themselves against. You know, quote unquote the law the people, you know, torturing them essentially because oftentimes, you know, local news in par particular will just be straight up stenographers for whatever the police press releases. I mean, they'll often also just refer to things as riots that are not like if people sit down and like refuse to leave the lunch area or like the you know, like the central sitting area, they will refer to that as like a riot, even if no one is like throwing punches.
Speaker 8: And just to sort of circle labor, if you refuse to work, you get punished for it. It's not necessarily optional, right. It is absolutely slavery, not just because of the conditions and because of the you know, poor payment basically lack of payment, right, but because you are forced to work or you get punished, and sometimes it goes on your record that could actually impact you for any kind of parole opportunities, et cetera. So it is punitive and it is exploitative and it is nothing more than slappy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to also touch base on, Yeah, like the fact is it's slavery. I think that's like we and other organizers have done a pretty good job. I feel like of like getting that fact into the mainstream and being like yeah, like this is slavery like period end of sentence. It is legally and material slavery. And now we're entering this process in which states like Colorado, for example, are passing laws that's like yeah, so we're just like abolishing this slavery thing, and it's like it's like the apparatus to deprive people of their rights has not itself been disempowered in any way, and so they're just like waving a blond over this system of slavery, being like it's not now like okay, you know what I mean. So like when we demand, you know, abolish the thirteenth, it's like that's like kind of a long term, like strategic like legal demand, but just because a state, like I feel like this is being recuperated into the kind of like self congratulates or you know, like like fox civil rights like liberalism at this point, because like states are like abolishing their version of the thirteenth and then being like cool, our work here is done. Oh but you didn't do anything actually right, And Colorado in fact still forces people to work in their prisons and it is illegal technically, but like it ain't quite as illegal as you know, it ain't the same type of illegal when the state is doing it right, the state is not in fact bound by its own laws in practice. Yeah, and I mean also juxtaposed like everything that Jigi just said about self defense with like the excuses that cops are allowed to give when they shoot people out out at random. Right, it's like, oh, well, the standard for a human being, you know, killing another human being is it has to be like in mutual combat, like you have to be using proportionate for sta da da da da, whereas like a cop can just be like, well I kind of thought that he was holding thing or whatever. So yeah, And as far as organizing goes, I mean, people, I just want to say, people take lots of actions. So a lot of the form that our organizing takes is like we establish ourselves as a presence. We have our incarcerated members. They give us information about what either they or other groups of people are doing. Other people on the outside know about us. They give us information about what's going on in places, and we are kind of known as like the prison labor organization that does stuff around those and there really isn't as far as I'm aware, a kind of organization that like does that direct support specifically around labor issues anywhere else in the United States, again outside of the local level perhaps, So, Yeah, what we do is we pressure the prisons and jails to give into the prisoner's demands. And they're not necessarily going to like be like, oh, well, now that we've heard from the public, we will do all the demands. But like you heard the list of stuff that we read off about the Fresno jail, Like that was a surprising list of stuff, and they weren't actually striking or anything. And so oftentimes because of the power and balance, it does sort of just make more sense for us to just pressure the prison directly, regardless of whether there's a strike or not. But people do go on strike in prison and do work slowdowns in prison and all that kind of stuff. And it helps to have an outside like buffer and like support team and like a relational network of support, just like it does with other workers, right, Like building that kind of network of mutual aid and respect and support is what makes more action possible. And so that's what we kind of seek to do. And prison solidarity is something that is also not one directional. You know, you probably got a sense of this, you know in the snippets with Odra. But we learn a lot from our inside numbers. We learn life changing lessons from our inside members a lot, and they learn from us too. But we always tell new members, like especially you know, if they don't have a lot of experience with prison or whatever, it's like, do not approach this or from like a paternalistic standpoint, Like yes, they have a lot to learn, but so do we, and relationships and lessons go both ways. And also like prison admins are just incredibly vulnerable to public scrutiny, Like we heard how bad things are there, and it's like they don't want people knowing this, Like they have just skated by on like the kind of general Reagan eighties vibe of like oh yeah, this is actually part of the punishment, like this entire time, and like that is still their mindset. It's like, yeah, prison isn't supposed to be fun. What do you mean we need to give people toothpaste? Like that is still like their attitude to the tea and we need to intervene in that because that's really terrible. Actually, yeah, and you know, this is an authoritarian country, like straight up for the less wealthy half of the population, and this is like a huge part of that. And we can't just like not challenge the prison system and then do like radical organizing of any other kind and be like, yeah, we can just ignore or this prison thing. It surely will not come to eat us at any point.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: There's also this kind of myth of like labor as rehabilitation, which is just like a you know, kind of calvinist sort of you know, humbug. But it's like, you know, we've already established that a lot of people in prison didn't do anything wrong, but like for those who did, like you know, within whatevery mortal framework you're using like if you're if you're someone who like goes around causing harm, how is like performing labor going to make you not that person? It's not. They're just producing surplus value, right, So that's total shit. And uh, and it's also you know, it's just kind of like this this old fashioned eighteen hundreds logic of like coorehouses and shit, you know, like make them work, We'll make everything better somehow. And as for being sued, like we know that the persons hate being sued, the people who really see them, the best, oftentimes are jail house lawyers, and we know that they hate that because like they will straight up try to have those people killed. Not only will they try to have those people killed, they will try to have any kind of prison staff reguard that like grows a conscience and is like, yeah, this thing that we did is kind of fucked up. Like I can't say with certainty, but like those people have died under suspicious circumstances. Just to contextualize it, like the prison adminsphere of public scrutiny like so much. And whenever we do something like this that is like sustained and like strategic and involving a lot of participation, which it's unfortunately not always and we need to work on that. And that is part of building a like staunch support base right is doing these distributed actions in a way that is like really sustained, so you know, we communicate with specific people and apply it pressure to the institution directly without going through any kind of like proper channels necessarily which tend to just do nothing. But doing this, we have stopped jail house lawyers from being killed. We have gotten firefighters at the Central California Women's facility their time credits, which the prison was like dragging their feet on giving them to the extent that like it was actually going to affect when they got out, like they were having like six months of time that they like weren't applying like eight months from like their current get out time, you know what I mean, Jesus. And so we fixed that. We have gotten multiple people like real medical care as opposed to like fake medical care. There was actually a kitchen strike that we didn't we didn't directly support, just because it like happened too quickly. Like I just I think I gave some like advice, but that was about it. And like they just like stopped paying them. Like in california're supposed to make like eight cents an hour or whatever, and they just were like, we're just not going to pay you with your eight cents anymore, but eight since an hour.
Speaker 1: Is too expensive for you as a person could fuck it off. God, Jesus Christ to hate these people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean this is just the nature of exploitation. Yeah, Like they're always just trying to like, oh, we've gotten away with a million things, let's get away with a million and month things. Yep, you know like it's it's it's the nature of oppression and exploitation, right, yeah, So they struck and they won back their eight cents an hour, and there was a slowdown that you can read about in Prison Reports, which is like a movement news outlet, where people did a slow down. People that were producing, like the boxers for other prisoners I believe, did a work slow down about two years ago, eighteen months ago or so. And this was just to get access to the commissary. So like they were making good money by like prison standards, but like the commissary closed while they were still working, and so they couldn't spend their money. Oh yeah, and so they did a slowdown to like fix that. This was part of California Prison Industries Authority, which like is the manufacturer of oftentimes first resort for like all kinds of like furniture and other supplies for the state of California, including the UC system. And this is often the case with other states as well. And we also just are disseminating helpful info all the time, Like with that legal info. It's like if you show up with like a bunch of like radical literature and like some legal info to like a puncture, people are like, why you have legal info? Befoor ing fall, But like in prison, it's like, yeah, you're gonna find some people interested in the radical info and like that stuff. People are interested in it too, But like the legal info is what people really want because it is more practical. It's like, you know, we of course we distribute information about the IWW and about solidarity, unionism and and you know, feminism and all kinds of other stuff, you know, the Black Panthers, you know, the whole nine. But like what people really do want, because it's the most practical, is like how do I sue the prison? How do I legally hack my way out of this beast? And like it works, and a lot of our best and like brightest outside members who were once inside members, like they didn't just wait for their sentence to expire. They like had to file a grievances and like take every opportunity to like be the prison's worst op to the point that the prison was just like just what the fuck out already Like enough of this person? Yeah, so yeah, that's most of what I got.
Speaker 1: How can people support y'all and get involved more?
Speaker 8: So? Definitely Cook should visit us at Incarcerated Workers dot org and we will provide those links and definitely sign up for our newswatter where we give some updates on what's happening inside in a safe way to protect our members inside and their organizing work, but also hear about you know, work happening across the country and across the world as well.
Speaker 4: I would also, I guess, just add that we really want labor unionists and healthcare workers and lawyers and law students and researchers to plug into our website because there are spaces and reporters and journalists, I should say as well, to plug into our website because there are spaces for just them. That doesn't mean that we don't want other people signing up too, but those professions, I think, in particular, you know and educators also have a lot of impact and like a lot of relationships direct and indirect to the system that we want to kind of zero in on and do something with. And the website elaborates on that. If you're addicted to Instagram, you can follow us there at Incarcerated Workers and also at thea Underscore Iwalk or California. But if you're not, then good for you. And instead you should sign up to our email newsletter.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I will leave it at that.
Speaker 14: In sure, let's burn it down amazing.
Speaker 1: Now, before we go, I want to mention something extremely important that we'll be covering in more detail in a later episode, which is the planned twenty twenty seven National Prisoners Human Rights Strike plan to run from May Day to juneteenth and twenty twenty seven. We're going to talk more about this in a later episode and get more of the history of the twenty sixteen to twenty eighteen prisoner strikes that I walk in Joe House Lawyers Speak, who we're going to be reading a statement from in a second we're involved in. But for now, I'm going to close this episode by quoting the statement released by Jailhouse Lawyers Speak, why we strike. A political storm is sweeping through many prisons across the nation, as the prison class plainly see the hidden mechanisms of a system designed to dehumanize the imprisoned population. For too long, many of us were kept in the dark about the machinery behind our confinement. How law enforcement, district attorneys, politicians, and judges win elections on platforms of mass imprisonment, and how private interests in rural economies profit off our bedcounts. Our captive bodies are weaponized through prison based gerrymandering, where our numbers are used to swell the political power and draw federal funding into rural districts, all while stripping us of any voter representation. Through these exceptional clauses, the prison class is relegated to conditional citizens ship, a status where constitutional rights are granted at the pleasure of the state. When officials can openly discuss transferring imprisoned citizens to foreign prisons without constitutional barrier, it is because these exception clauses have already stripped the prison class of the full protections of citizenship. Behind the razors, this legal disenfranchisement is paired with the reality of living in unventilated, boiling cells during climate extremes, enduring endless so called staffing shortage lockdowns ordered by prison crats, washing militarized roundups and ice attention centers, and seeing poor people funneled into plea deals simply because they cannot afford cash bail or paid legal defense. The traffic extends beyond the walls, thousands on thousands of people in prison who meet the basic parole requirements are repeatedly denied parole by arbitrary boards citing quote the nature of the original crime end quote, a static reason that never changes, solely to maintain prison bed quotas even upon release. The karstural state traps formerly imprisoned people under supervision, debt, electronic surveillance inco monitors, and restricted probation and parole systems that serve as a revolving door back to a cell the core demands. While the full ten national demands remain active, strike organizers across committed states are focusing on three core demands. One and legalized slavery. Repeal the exception clause at the thirteenth Amendment to the US Constitution. This is the cause that last slavery is punished with in prisons. Two Restore voting rights. Repeal exception clauses such as Section two of the fourteenth Amendment that strip voting rights from confined citizens, pre trial detainees, and former felons. Three free all the political prisoners in the US prisons. Thank you all both for doing this work and for fighting this fight, and for being on the show. And I hope we all go out into the world and fight for workers everywhere, wherever they may be, and.
Speaker 11: This is it could happen here. Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what this means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today. I'm joined by Mia Wong, James Stout, and Robert Evans. Who do we do this episode? We're covering the week of August twelfth through August.
Speaker 7: Nineteenth, So I guess I'll start with I've seen reports that ICE is using parked vehicles, I guess as staging points for cameras. And I have seen videos of what appeared to be licensed plate flippers on ICE vehicles. If you're not familiar, right, Like, there's been lots and lots of reports of ICE agents like manually changing license plates. This just appears to be a device gos rotates one hundred and eighty degrees, so you've got two license plates available. A lot of the pictures we saw a man being I'm not sure if he was arrested or just like harassed for saying like, why don't you have a license plate on your vehicle? Why don't you have a license plate on your vehicle? And it very much appears if that vehicle had a license plate flipper on the front. Secondly, CBP is pausing all construction in Big Bend. This is according to Rodney Scott, who's the CBP commissioner, who says he is personally on his way there to conduct a quite personal evaluation. It's entirely unclear, like what that means and what are the criteria for this evaluation? Right, Like, there are dozens of laws, treaties and regulations that cover the kind of thing that they are doing in the place that they are doing it, and they have waived all of them. So this is what we get now, right, we get Rodney Scott going on a plane and just like giving it the like the imperial thumbs up or thumbs down like some kind of Roman emperor. I guess, like this is a thing that wouldn't fly in like a hereditary monarchy like the UK. Right where we now have one person making this choice that everyone will have to live with forever. They are destroying a place which is beautiful and one of the places that has not been ruined by capitalism and the state one of the few large areas of public land in Texas. So I will keep you updated on what Rodney Scott decides to do. I will probably do an episode on my other show Natural Courses about Big Bend soon. And then finally, I guess as we're talking about borderwall stuff from me, people are conducting a tree sit in a cottonwood tree in Arizona. The cottonwood tree. It's a very old cottonwood tree, sometimes called Grandmother tree. These people are trying to protect it from being destroyed due to border wall construction. They've been sitting in that tree for several weeks.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: I will eventually go visit them. It's going to go visit them, but I went to Spokane when those fires struck. Instead, they have been joined by someone on the Mexican side, So now there are two tree sitters, making this the first international tree sit that I am ever aware of. That rules Yeah, no, it's great. Hell yeah, hell yeah. Well like trees don't know borders, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: As I highlighted in my other podcast, Natural Cause, is the US left really fucked up when NAFTA came in by not saying if you're going to try and pay people less in Mexico, then we will try and organize people in Mexico and together we will demand dignified wages and conditions. I'm glad that people are not taking that approach anymore because they didn't get us anywhere. Yeah, I'll keep covering the situation there as well.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of I guess the long range effects of NAFTA. KOSB, which is the Korean stock index, hit its circuit breaker, which is the breaker that hits if you lose too much percentage of the stock market's value again on Wednesday. I genuinely have lost count of the number of times that it has been triggered over the past few months. This has become a regular recurrence in one of the largest and most important stock markets in the world. This time it was fueled by a collapse of textile and the Brent Fruit Index hitting ninety dollars a barrel. We will be getting into some more of the impacts of that later.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: My guess is that it's going to rebound as everyone buys the dip tomorrow. But any one of these could be the one where it doesn't rebound, and we will let you know whether the global economic collapses on Yay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happens if there's not a rebound? What is that going to look like ud, everyone's fucked.
Speaker 16: No.
Speaker 2: I mean, like in terms of what is your expecting cascade of events.
Speaker 1: If that goes down, Oh, the entire global economy goes under. Because the Korean stock market right now is basically a kind of tragedy as farcet version of the American market where most of almost all of the value is congealed into these three AI yeah, three companies that yeah, basically make AI chips, right, and then the rest of the value down the shane is people doing weird gambling stuff on different AI components. If the market just actually crashes, that is those three companies, and you know we're talking like Samsung here, right, these are vital components in the entire AI I mean not just the AI sere obviously the Samsung, right, like we're talking about you know, things that are vital components and the big tech companies Yeah, yeah, in like all of the manufacturing of like tech all over the world. If that stuff goes down, that takes the American markets with it, That takes all of all the global markets that are reliant on these AI surges go with it. And that's kind of just the beginning of the poppy of the tech bubble.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to get to that because it's like it is, it is this mirror of exactly what's gone on in the United States. I guess the big difference is that so far, the obvious signs of trouble in South Korea have not set off alarm bells in at least in American investors to the extent that you might expect. But I'm sure.
Speaker 1: There's been some Like it tends to be the other way around, where Cosby tends to kind of be following the American markets, But there have definitely been days where, like, because of the time difference in Korea, all of the American investors wake up to watch like ten percent going down, like ten percent of the value of the createstock market disappearing in one night, and in that lowers American stocks, and then Trump says something about the war ending and it goes back up again. So there has been some notice of it, but our grand collective delusion to maintain the functioning of capitalism continues.
Speaker 7: Great, good, good good.
Speaker 11: On Tuesday, there was a GP debate for the South Carolina US Senate special runoff election so it's a special election and a runoff. And in this debate, sister of the fallen Lindsay Graham, Darlene Graham, could not answer a pretty rudimentary foreign policy question because it is not her area of expertise. Let's take a lesson, Senator, are Taiwan and the South China Sea national security issues for the United States?
Speaker 16: If so, what, I'm sorry, could you repeat it? If our Taiwan and the South China Sea national security issues for the United States? And if so, why or how?
Speaker 14: I'm just gonna be honest here.
Speaker 16: I'm not on national security that I'm not that informed on national security. So, but I do support the military. My brother was in the Air Force for thirty three years, so I will do everything I can to support the military stuff.
Speaker 2: You know what, honesty. That's what we need in politicians, is.
Speaker 1: Hon I love hereditary seats. This is an amazing feature of what is supposed to be a representative democracy. It's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know shit about fuck, but I love the army.
Speaker 11: That's incredible. She later goes on to literally say it's on her quote unquote area of expertise. It just talks about how regardless, she will always support the US military. It's this is townding Lindsay Graham rolling over in his grave. So that is Darley and Graham, sister of Lindsay Graham, who is facing Republican Ralph Norman in this runoff election, the winner of which will then face the Democrat doctor Annie Andrews for this general election in November to replace Lindsay's seat.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool, God, I hope she wins the primary. I want to see more.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, this will be highly amusing if nothing else.
Speaker 11: Oh man, I want to briefly mention some new information regarding the federal investigations into anti ice protests in the Twin Cities, based on some newly released court documents. This was first reported in the New York Times, and I have read through the like thirty page motion filed by the defense that unveiled these documents and a number of the thirty some exhibits. And I'll report on this in full, probably next week with its own episode. But I do want to discuss with the group here a little bit. So four days after CPB killed Alex pretty DHS open investigation into labor unions and left wing activist groups. That they thought were involved in funding the anti ICE protests and quote providing material support to violent opportunists unquote. This HSI investigation amounted to a massive spying operation called Operation puppet Master and later Operation Whipple Shield. Whipple is the name of the federal building that was at the heart of a lot of the protests in the Twin Cities. And these operations ended up probing three years of financial records from organizations like Sunrise Movement, the Communication Workers of America, and the Healthcare Union s CiU as a part of a quote unquote financial investigation into quote unquote domestic terrorist financing. I think it's really important to point out here is that this three year time span of of of documents extends far beyond the time span of Operation Metro Surge and the protests. Right this this this, this is not a probe into into financing specific protest groups responding to ICE. This is just a general drag net into labor unions, into left wing nonprofits, environmental groups, a racial justice activist group in the area like this is this is a huge probe. They're looking into VENMO transactions, They're requesting bank records like this. This is a massive probe of like the the interior of like some very major national unions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting when you look at who they're looking into, right, because it's it's a really really wide swath like across the political spectrum of the left, like s c IU. Like obviously there are like locals of SCIU that like do good work, but like nationally, s CiU is not like a radical organization, right, Like, yeah, of the major unions, this is like an extremely extremely milk toast union, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I guess contacts with CiU particularly would be that they arrested David Huerta in Los Angeles in Junia of last year, right, it's union leaders.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and I know because Alex Pretty was a healthcare worker. SIU is a healthcare union. Like I went to like a solidarity protest put together by a bunch of different unions in New York City following the death of Alex Pretty. Yeah, it's interesting that the federal government picked up on that sort of union solidarity and then started investigating it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think that is that is really telling.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Part of what I'm getting at here is like they're just going after everyone who's even like tangentially involved in these protests, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, The way the state sees this is they're incapable of organizing like spontaneous and like horizontal solidarity. Are seeing that, right, they understand Yeah. SEIU folks showed up in New York where Garrison is, and I think they're not called the AFT. In Minneapolis, maybe they called the Federation of Educators or something like that. MFE looks like, yeah, like another union right for educators evidently, and fifty to fifty one and some more explicitly socialists and leftist groups showed up against us, showed up in solidarity off d alex Pretti was killed. And the way the States sees this is therefore they are nationally and vertically integrated and someone is pulling the strings and paying the funds, not like they are fucking mad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's like the way that they see it is like, yeah, like SCIU National has like handed down like the riot orders just.
Speaker 7: Like no no CiU like, but she's right, Like that is how they understand it.
Speaker 1: If like time traveling militants for the nineteen seventies kidnapped SEIUS leadership and held them at gunpoint and said we will let you go if you order mass riots, they still wouldn't do it. Like, that's not that's not what this is. But yeah, the Feds have a hammer, and they're trying to hammer down every single thing that even vaguely looks like a nail, so they can do sort of the broadest and widest ranging oppression that they can deal with.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and we have like an example of how HSI is envisioning this sort of conspiracy like what we're talking about, because as a part of the new exhibits that were released to the public, we have this slide that was sent to grandeurors for the indictment which we'll soon talk about, that targeting fifteen protesters. The grand jury was shown this slide that is labeled the conspiracy that has about fifteen different organizations with all with arrows pointing towards Direct Action Minnesota DAM, which is the protest group that the government alleges the fifteen people indicted were involved with in some way. I want to read through some of these organizations that are part of this conspiracy diagram. There's the Monarca Rapid Response Line, There's Ray Rainbolt Memorial Gun Club, Red Pine Revolutionary Collective, SCIU twenty six showing it for racial justice, Socialist Alternative, Veterans for Peace, Whipple Watch, Workers Solidarity Circle, afl CIO, Black Cat Workers Collective, the Democratic Socialist of America, the Grease Pit, which is a local bike shop. Hell Yeah, Minute Left CHAB, Minneapolis Federation of Educators Local fifty nine, Minnesota Association of Professional Employees, Minnesota Ice Watch, and Minnesota five oh five oh one. Pretty incredible, pretty incredible collection. They're all supposed to.
Speaker 1: Be like sending like a council member.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the diagram has is that there's a council member these organizations, council that like is part of Direct Action Minnesota.
Speaker 11: It's like orchestrating all these protests. It's incredible.
Speaker 7: I love to see like kreminology overcoming like a DIY bike shop that has been for a few hours, a few afternoons a week, like it's the Pollit Bureau of Minnesota is populated by like bike co ops.
Speaker 1: It's just a shadow council, James Shadow.
Speaker 12: They're running everyway.
Speaker 7: It's incredible.
Speaker 11: This is what happens when Socialist Alternative and DSA can overcome their differences and support council comunism to tend November to Direct Action Minnesota High Council, Black and Red United. Yet it's incredible stuff. Now, of course, none of these organizations themselves have actually phased charges stemming from this investigation. But this investigation did result in fifteen people being indicted on quote, conspiracy to impede or injure a federal officer for allegedly planning to block a roadway, among a few other charges against specific individuals for participating in ice rapid response. So, although dsay the Grease Pit and like SCIU are not themselves as organizations you know charged this this sort of huge, like a very broad investigation into nonprofit organizations, into electoral organizations, into labor unions. This did result in charges against specific people, many of whom are not part of these you know, fifteen fifteen council member organizations. The defense lawyer Kevin Riach wrote in emotion, quote Homeland Security Investigations investigation extended far beyond any potential threat to law enforcement safety. It concluded, with no evidence but obvious political animus, that numerous Twin Cities, unions, and nonprofit organizations were involved in a widespread conspiracy to violate eighteen USC. One one one assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers or employees. And it surveilled and surptitiously gathered financial records generated by these organizations, despite the lack of any connection between those organizations and criminal conduct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's co intel, a pro shit. Just it never ended. They're just doing it again. I've always been doing it.
Speaker 11: Yes, And part of what these new docs reveal is is much more details on like the covert surveillance of organizer meetings at libraries and churches, and the way in the extent that Homeland Security infiltrated signal chats and how undercovers tried to entice people into discussing or committing crimes. And I want to discuss that in more detail in its own episode because I think that requires a very careful focus on how how that actually went about, because I think that can very easily be turned into you know, panicking or maybe overstating certain things regarding you know, where ICE the ones actually you know, directing all the protests against Ice, and like no, obviously not so. I think that that requires a distinct focus. Specifically in these core documents, there's there's a there's a reference to an undercover discussing with someone at like a Sunrise Movement meeting about getting more involved in direct actions and and maybe building quote unquote devices for direct actions. So like it's it's that kind of stuff, and I want to discuss that more in detail. But this new batchel of core documents in this case has revealed a lot about about how this investigation went. How it started off very very broad against a lot of organizations and like what you know, national Security Presidential Memory dem number seven wrote about, you know, looking to the finances of a lot of different nonprofit groups, but then from there realizing that maybe they are not going to be able to prosecute all these unions for terrorist financing. Instead they find fifteen people who are engaged in firstmen in activity that they think they could maybe you know, turn into an Antifa boogeyman and get that pastor grand jury, because you certainly couldnot get the rest of this shit past a grand jury. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Talking of like pushing the boundaries of the Constitution with regards to policing as a good tie into this next piece that I have, which is to talk about the national defense areas. So the DOJ has issued a new opinion this week suggesting the military forces in the National Defense Areas that span that much of the border can now detain people not just inside the NDA but also near the NDA who leave it before they have time to arrest them. If you're not familiar with the NDA, these areas along the border wall that have been transferred to the military and are being managed as extensions of military basis. For example, NDA number three, the California NDA begins I think at the western edge of Oti mount of Wilderness, stretches all the way to the Arizona border in Imperial County. That is an extension of nafeal Center, so that's Naval Air Facility EL Center, so that's patrolled by marines. The New Mexico one is an extension of Fort Huachuca and that's patrolled by the Army. There is one in Texas which is an extension of Fort Bliss for Bliss Spanzer's two states, but that goes that NDA goes into Texas. More the bases themselves are being extended. Therefore, the logic goes from the Justice Department that they are not violating the Posscomatatis Act because there are recognized exemptions they say for military installations so they're saying because the base is being extended to generally but not always, it is the Roosevelt Reservation, right, which is a sixty foot area to the north of the physical border, but some of these NDA's span areas larger than that. They are claiming that that area is therefore exempt from PCA if the military is prosecuting or in this case, arresting or detaining people for trespassing on a military installation, right, they think that the military can also enforce federal law on its installations. So by definition, anyone ewie entry without inspection, right, So thatt, someone entering between ports of entry, anybody doing that in an NDA, which is a large amount of southern border right now, would be trespassing on a military installation.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: You can also see in this opinion they they're like hinting it adding more NDAs soon. This is the same legal reasoning that they are using. Claim it is illegal to photograph things inside an NDA. I think this one is incredibly suspect. Right, So the statutory law does ban photography of quote, certain vital military or naval installations or equipment. But I think you'd have a very hard time arguing in call that like a pile of razor wire and some rocks, is vital military equips. But that's what they're going with, right. This is important because what we are seeing here is a Trump administration pushing at the boundaries of constitutionally what it can do. And as I've said hundreds of times on this show of the last four years, this always starts at the border, and it never stays at the border.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: Everything we see with mass surveillance now has been a reality in border communities for some time. Everything we see with the increased presence of ice of CBP, this has been something that border communities have dealt with, right, This particularly violent form of law enforcement that is particularly unaccountable. If we see this at the border, and they get away with it at the border, then I'm sure it will continue in other places. It doesn't take like a brain genius to look at, for instance, what happened in Portland six years ago, right, and see how we could edge towards the PCA Poscombat Artist Act waivers in other parts of the United States as well. So I think this is worth keeping an ion, and like I would like it to get more attention in reporting.
Speaker 11: Let's go on add break, and then we'll discuss in honor of Lindsay Graham, the US military.
Speaker 7: Who we support, but we don't know where they go.
Speaker 11: All right, there's a lot of military news this week. That ship does not look like it's doing too well. Let's let's start with the sad boat.
Speaker 2: That was sad boat? Anyone here old enough to have watched the Love Boat on Nick at Night?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, okay, all right.
Speaker 7: Well he didn't have that where I grew out, Robert.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's hurtful. This is all very hurtful. Anyway, The sad boat is the USS Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 11: How sad is this?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeah, where is it?
Speaker 2: Ape said, well, well, yeah, miya, you want to you want to start?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so the US Abraham Lincoln. It's it's actually funny because we have now reached a point where when you say the sad boat, I actually couldn't tell which of the boats you were referring to, because.
Speaker 2: It was the Jerry Ford before it was the Abraham Lincoln, and the gerald Ford had longer to be sad.
Speaker 1: Well, there was also a destroyer this playing this all trying to see where the power.
Speaker 12: Was out for three days?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they didn't have running water.
Speaker 7: Which one was it where they were blocking up all the toilets, but like jamming, there was toilet paper.
Speaker 2: That's the Jerry Ford and I think the Lincoln, all of our newest supercarriers have serious issues with the bathroom plumbt.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so the primary means of First Amendment expression that is available to say, well.
Speaker 2: They practice the two man poop over the side technique, which is an actual thing they have to do whenever the bathrooms don't work.
Speaker 1: Which it's so funny reading about these ships and being like this, this is shit from like my like slumlord fucking apartments in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Except for the Dods your slum lord.
Speaker 1: Yeah, happening award like the most like the most advanced and expensive military and human history. Oh god, where do we even want to start with with the USS Abraham Lincoln. I I guess, I guess, I guess we could start with the fact that they have been hanging nets over the side of of the aircraft carrier because sailors keep trying to jump off to kill themselves, a thing that I last saw with like Fox Confactories and Shenzen.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's the last time I heard that.
Speaker 7: As well, yeah, but at least in Shenzend, to my knowledge, nobody is shitting into the nets, which appears to be from what Roba has said.
Speaker 2: You know, the shitting would be incidental.
Speaker 1: We have covered on this show before. I think it was was it ten, I think was the one where they're they're there their Chinese branch had like timers over the toilets to show how long you say that would not would not rule that out in Shenzend as well.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but this ship has not been getting resupplied.
Speaker 1: It has been out for significantly longer than the the original plant duration. The sailors are just kind of trapped on board. Sailors who have you know, attempted to commit suicide because they've been stuck on this fucking ship are getting like like their careers destroyed because of this. Oh wow, it's just a nightmare. And this this is running into one of the what I guess is turning into one of the themes of this week's episode, which is that there are a whole bunch of elements of the US Navy and also of the world economy where them functioning correctly are based on the US not fighting of forever war in Iran and are based on the assumption that eventually this is going to end. Yeah, and it's just not. And so this ship is just also just physically breaking down.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, they're running low on all of the necessities. And part of that is because of the success of Arod's attacks on bases like US bases overseas and US basis in like foreign countries.
Speaker 7: There was an.
Speaker 2: Article that came out just within the last couple of days on August fourteenth in The New York Times by John i Ismay that traced a lot of the supply issues that the Abraham Lincoln's been having for its entire deployment to like right after the first day of the war, when Iran launched a massive attack on a US Navy base in Bahrain, which destroyed a massive logistics hub that the Navy has relied on basically the entirety of the Global War on tear up to the present moment, and that's what's forced them to switch over to using Diego Garcia as a supply hub. If you remember, Keir Starmer over in the UK initially was like, no, you guys can't use Diego Garcia as like the supply hub for your legal war, and then immediately changed his mind when he got threatened a little bit, bravest, who are in good stuff?
Speaker 3: Good stuff?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think, like, I mean, it's so obvious right that Iran, a country which like the US, has been saber rattling out for decades, would very obviously have a plan of what to do in the event that the United States struck it and they executed that plan. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Trump, for his part, has repeatedly stated that the length of the deployment of the Lincoln and the forward before it are not big deals. When he was asked earlier this week if carry deployments were too long, he responded, no, no, no, not nearly long enough.
Speaker 7: See, he's really going to get into it with Lindy Graham's sister over this one.
Speaker 1: No, He's It's also he's just been very personally meddling with and fucking with a bunch of Navy stuff that there's a whole kind of there's a whole kind of side drama to this story where Trump has ordered the Navy to go back to using steam catapults to like launch aircraft off of the deck of the ship, which is like a significantly worse thing than the electromagnetic systems that the Navy has been using. But Trump like heard that that some pilot liked them a long time ago, and so he's been trying to force the entire Navy to do this since the first administration, and he's finally succeeded, which means you're going to have to like refit like forty percent of the ship and they're probably gonna have just design new ships because the ships are not designed around having these things, and they're just going to be worse because the Emperor has decided that he likes steam catapults.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, no, no, there's a there's a piece in the Guardia. Just about a week ago, Trump orders Pentagon to redesigned US aircraft carriers to use steam catapult solage tests.
Speaker 11: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he thought the digital systems were too complicated. I had missed this and the long list of like bullshit which in the same military stuff.
Speaker 8: Reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He signed a National Security memorandum directing Pete Hegseth and the acting Navy Secretary to make this change. That's great, that's good.
Speaker 1: It's this astonishing combination of like she's she's made the cardinal mistake that all of these people make, which is that American military and economic supremacy is premised on having the world's most expensive army and not using it. Yeah, and now he's used it. And then also he's doing all of this weird emperor fucking with stuff at the same time.
Speaker 2: There's amazing quotes from this Apparently it started back in twenty seventeen what he told Time magazine about a conversation that he'd had with an unnamed Navy officer.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: So, I said, what's this, sir, This is our digital catapult system. Trump went on. It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital? What is digital? And it's very complicated. You have to be auured Einstein to figure it out. And I said, and now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said, what system are you going to be, sir? We're staying with digital. I said, no, you're not. You're going to goddamn steam. The digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money, and it's no good.
Speaker 7: He's also trying to get them to move the fucking control tower of the aircraft carries into the middle of the ship. According to the Washington Post.
Speaker 2: This is beautiful stuff. I hope he gets his way. I hope he gets his way to'll protect the rest of.
Speaker 4: The world from us?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the rest of the world would do better v all these ships when not deployed. Right now. This is yeah, outstanding, great stuff, a great, amazing shit.
Speaker 11: God, very normal.
Speaker 7: This is this is how successful military is organized.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I should point out that, like the latest statistics on people wounded in action now suggested they're about seven hundred US service people who've been wounded in a six month operation.
Speaker 11: Allegedly, the Washington is coming in to replace the Lincoln. Unclear what will happen to the destroyers and also unclear when this is actually going to happen.
Speaker 7: The destroyers have to come back so they can put a mast on them, yeah, because that looks more epic, and a big fucking cannon, like a black powder cannon on the front.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The last I heard from Trump, he said that a replacement for the Lincoln is quote moving right now or very shortly, and it's being replaced with another very similar ship. So that's what we've got so far. It is worth noting, just in terms of a general update on the situation, in Iran, that the ceasefire that no one has really been holding to has come to an end or is in the process of coming to an end, and does not look like it's going to be renewed.
Speaker 7: For all of the good that.
Speaker 2: That did everybody over the last sixty days or so, Yeah, the Trump administration has gone back and forth. Up until earlier this week, he had been claiming that he was in that the US was in active talks with Iran, but he said earlier this Tuesday that the US is not in any talks with Iran and has no plans to start new ones. This is around the same time that he started saying that the Strait of Horror Moves is open and that the US is going to take it and make it a new US territory. This has just been something he released as a series of truth posts or truths, including one showing a map that circled the Strait of Horror Moves with the words new US territory Straight of horm Moves above and below it. So, again, hard to say what's gonna happen here other than that oil prices are continuing to rise. The same day that he announced that there was no we're no talks going on, and that the ceasefire was not going to be extended. Four is fired on a Panama flagged ship, and around the same time Iran struck a ship as well, killing at least one sailor. Since the war began, seventeen sailors have been killed in sixty five attacks. Most of those have been the result of Ranian strikes, but three of those deaths have been caused by a US Navy ship that struck a merchant ship in June. So sailors are getting killed all around the USS. Abraham Lincoln's probably getting rotated out. The CeaseFire's over, and I guess we're trying to take this straight although it's I mean, there's no way to know what any of this actually means or what Trump's going to do. He could announce that they've got a new ceasefire tomorrow, like it would be silly to take any of this as a final word on anything.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let me pick up on that where Robot left off fairly, it does appay of it. In response to Trump continuing to just post insane stuff, Iran has been having talks with Aman, probably talking about like joint tolling the Strait, right, which is something we spoken about a lot in this podcast. Trump get interview with Trey Yinks. If you're not familiar with tree Yinks, his job is to kind of be a credulous, nodding head to broadcast ship that Donald Trump says his chief foreign correspondent Fox Now.
Speaker 20: I asked the President about these parallel talks that are taking place between Iran and Oman about control of the Strait of horror moves, and the President told Fox News, if Oman gets in the way, will bomb the s out of them.
Speaker 7: That is Donald Trump threatening to bomb the shit out of a man. A fantastic u turn in the United States policy. This is a wild thing for him to be saying. Right, this is a country that obviously the US has had previously good relations with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is like a CIA outpost, like.
Speaker 7: Brand new country to do to do Middle East war with. Yeah, exactly right. We've we're running out of countries. We're having to turn on our own. Trump has also claimed in the same interview as tree Yinks, he has a back channel to the IRGC.
Speaker 20: Interestingly, President Trump confirmed to Fox News that there is a back channel with the IRGC. These are the hard line officials inside of Iran, and that the United States and officials in Washington are speaking directly with IRGC officials in Iran.
Speaker 7: So yeah, there he's talking about the United States negotiate directly with IIGC. I would assume that they have had back channels in the IIGC, right like that, That is something one would assume. Yeah, this is very normal when you have two states of this size which are frequently kind of squaring off against each other, and generally it is something that can be used to de escalate conflict. Obviously that ain't happening right now. It was later reported that these and you don't have to be a brain genius to work out that he's probably came through the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, right, southern Kurdistan. In related news, Iran then attempted a drone strike on Barzani. What, yes, President, that the Kurdistan reaching in of Iraq. Yeah, they sent two drones to Barzani's residents, I believe.
Speaker 12: What the fuck?
Speaker 11: Yeah, sorry I missed this. Why was this not for a pigeon?
Speaker 12: What the hell?
Speaker 7: Yes, they sent two drones to the office of the Kurdstan Region Prime Minister of sul Basani and the residents of the head of the Kurdistan Region Security Agency. The drones obviously did not cause any casualty. They think they were intercepted. This was reported by Axios right that this link between Southern Kordistan and the ILGC back channel was reported by Axios on the sixteenth, and then on the seventeenth, Iran attempted to drone strike Masoul Bazani, the Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Yeah, they attempted to drones strike his office and the residents of the Kurdstan Regions Security Agency, both in the Abil Province of Kurdistan. And like this again is like I've reported extensively. I think that Iran is bombing southern Kordistan and has been for some time. But this is a hell of an escalation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, try to was sad, like, but Brazoni is like the political figure in this part of Kurdistan. Like yeah, and like the Brazoni family has been has been a political faction powerful enough that like a lot of politics revolves around whether you're not you're like in their client networks for a long long time. This is this is kind of like trying to like, I mean again, he literally is like the prime minister of rocket cursion like this, this is like attempting to assassinate the Prime minister. Yeah, yeah, staggering escalation.
Speaker 7: Like Bazani zeated I tweeted next that it was dangerous escalation, a direct threat to the security instability of the curds down region. He's not wrong.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 7: When you combine this with the US having a scheduled withdrawal from Iraq, right, like this is bad, and like it is very clear that Iraq is continuing and even escalating its policy of punishing the curds for the United States aggression. Right, there's this perception that the curds in US are like always aligned. As Roberts said, Iran has continued to strike vessals and straightform moves. What's interesting about this recent strike and the number of strikes that came in the days before it is that normally there has been a pattern by which the bombing relaxes. Iran strikes a vessel, the US Iran things peter out lower intensity, Iran strikes a vessel, the US hits Iran, right, Like, yeah, yeah, the US has not hit Iran yet. In response to these most recent ones. And I think part of the reason that might be is something we've talked about before that the United States is not capable now of doing what it did in February, Like it has significantly diminished it's stockpiles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by an estimate around seventy percent plus depending on the munition. In terms of like our long range like cruise missiles and our interceptors.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's so like just to de jug in that for people, that's like attack and defense. Right, it's your ability to hit Iran and also your ability to stop Iranian.
Speaker 2: It's all the stuff that lets us hit Iran without endangering the lives of US airmen, And it's what allows us to defend our bases and all of the Allied bases and increasingly fuel infrastructure in the region.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 2: And it's low enough that in part why they don't want to continue burning more, even though they have like a third or more left, is that they have to keep a stockpile in case shit goes down with China or you know, expands with Russia. Right, Like these are our primary weapons with Iran, they're completely unnecessary.
Speaker 11: Or a mon yeah, or are new Earth amont. Yeah, if we were.
Speaker 2: To theoretically get into any kind of anything approaching a near peer conflict on a good spot. It would be our only weapons other than nukes.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So I know we're going to come back to the US defense procurement situation. But I do want to just point out that the President. I don't know if this is related to the fact that gas prices are still bonkers six month into this, but he has posted an a image of a trima version of himself ripping the Keystone pipeline out of the ground, with a banner reading buried by Biden in the background. Not clear if he understands how pipelines work. What, Yeah, you guess is as good as mine on that one. Like it's uh, it's it's I mean, yeah, let me just draw up the link. I guess sometimes I'll just scroll this true social page. It's it's it's it's wild up in there.
Speaker 1: But that is not a task for the faint of heart.
Speaker 7: No, Like, this is one of the things I do for work. You know that traumatizes me. I've put it in the chat, the zoom chat.
Speaker 11: We don't want our oil in the ground in those pipes. We want it straight from the straight of horror moves in barrels. Well, yeah, right, like what is he thinking?
Speaker 5: What does you.
Speaker 7: Think The Keystone pipeline, I should have not, also has a plaque affixed to it that says Keystone pipeline completely free energy jobs America first, No, and they're they're buried by Bibi is on a gravestone. The pipeline also has some handles. Trump's kind of in sort of a stable wide stance. They're pulling it out the ground like it's got roots on it. I don't know what the fuck is going on here. But there are also some soldiers in the background, like Undernea with an American flag.
Speaker 1: So yeah, this is the guy who just decided we were at warworth a run and that was killed a shit ton of people over it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess now their response to the war where they run and gas prices being up is more pipelines at home, which is sick. Like I should add, I guess there is a continuing ecological disaster in the straight upforme moves because people keep shooting boats which are full of fuel. Yeah, and Iran it's having to clean up these oil spills.
Speaker 2: Well, there's also a further ecological disaster and that you have an enormous fleet of vessels that are just sitting around waiting and accumulating a huge number of different kind of like mollusks that you don't want to spread around the world that are definitely and it's also getting stuff is getting sucked into like their water tanks and they're what do you call it, their ballast tanks and shit that's going to get shut squirted out somewhere else. Like there's a lot of potential problems.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there are some procedures for like dumping ballast and stuff, but yeah, this is all the problem is right, everything is delayed. Every shipping company is losing money hand over fist. Yeah, and they're gonna want to get movie pretty fast when if the straightforward moves ever opens again. And yeah, we will see more environmental damages, like every war is an ecological disaster, but this one that isn't getting as much reporting on. But it's great that we're bringing that home with the Keystone pipelines, so we'll get a little piece of that too.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to give an update on a story because I talked about two weeks ago something like that about the general dynamics artillery shell factory in Mesquite, Texas that was meant to by now be producing somewhere between twenty and ideally thirty thousand shells a month, of specifically the kind that we're being used most rapidly in Ukraine before Ukraine pivoted to using drones for a lot of stuff. I mean, they're still burning through one fifty five's but like that was, I mean, they incurred a shell debt of something like three point six million shells in the United States as a result of that, and so it's a massive issue to get these shells being produced because in any kind of modern war we're going to be burning through a shitload of them. We have one hundred something years worth of heavy artillery in warfare to know that you never have enough shells. So this is a problem the US has been trying to get its handle on for a while, and as I noted, this factory that was supposed to be producing like a third of the total of all the shells in the United States has not produced any so far. And a few days after I discussed that on ed Jesse Coburn at Pro Publica published a beautiful investigation into that general Dynamics factory and Mesquite that opens with just a great lead. A robot was on fire again, and it's talking about the fact that all of this factory is filled with Jesus. Because it was supposed to meant to be heavily automated, which is why it was supposed to be able to keep up with such a high level of production. It was automated using these robots that had like giant metal arms clamps for hands, and because of the way they were designed, wound up soaked in oil constantly, and that oil would combust because they were moving steel blocks that had been heated to about eighteen hundred degrees fahrenheit, but in too and out of a machine that also would periodically beuch flame at them, and the robots were not proofed against this much flame. Per the Carpoblica article, one blaze that summer melted robots cables, putting an ADVO commission for a week now. The series of fires in the factory came just a few weeks before Trump administration. Defense officials and executives for General Dynamics, the company that made the factory, toured and through a gala opening event there to celebrate that it was supposed to be up and running by now. Exploding robots were not the only method of uncontrollable failure that workers had documented at the factory by that point. For one thing, the robotic arms had a tendency to flail uncontrollably and destroy equipment. They also would periodically drop heavy loads at random. The most sensitive and expensive equipment in the entire factory was a machine that was meant to stretch metal in order to make artillery shells. It cracked them nearly constantly. The factory was filled with smoke at all times and was usually over one hundred degrees inside. Every description of the state of the art Arms factory sounds worse than the ones that were operating in World War One. This is probably my favorite part of that article. Then there were the giant press machines, which required regular pounding with a sledgehammer to function. Property still sat the shaping of nearly every shell. We didn't really have any standardized practice, said Quantel White, a former employee. It was just a bunch of guys taking turns going at the machine with a sledgehammer every night.
Speaker 1: This is fourhammer, forty k shit wyammer.
Speaker 2: Forty k works a lot better than this. There would be a priest, he would be reading from a bible. There'd be ungeons and oil. Well, there's lots of oil.
Speaker 7: I love this now.
Speaker 2: By last summer, which is when reports first started coming out about the difficulties the factory was having. By that point, General Dynamics had missed eight deadlines to get this thing up and running. Their factory still has yet to produce a single usable shell, despite five hundred and thirty three million dollars in Pentagon funds going towards refurbishing old machines and ordering new ones from Turkey. Even so, the Pentagon continues to sign contracts with General Dynamics, and two months ago the company announced a some new solution to all of their ill fortune factory. These many issues. You guys, guess what The magic bullet that finally is going to fix everything that this factory that doesn't work is supposed to be AI.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's AI. It's it's fucking AI. Of course, it's yeah.
Speaker 2: Quote a news release from General Dynamics. In the new company, the terrence was filled with techno business jargon. AI enabled capabilities and intelligence and connectivity would be added at Mesquite and other General Dynamics factories. The companies wrote, AI transforms production facilities into strategic assets to terrens. As CEO said on the release, we're building autonomous manufacturing systems that learned to adapt and scale in real time. By the way, what that CEO said, I'll guarantee was written by chat GPT. The whole AI transformed that that's yeah, very clearly. Yeah, these pronouncements have baffled former Mesquite workers. What are they talking about. There's nothing to learn or adapt or scale one set. It's all broken. It's really fun because no one who actually works at the factory, and no US military officials who are allowed to speak their minds openly, have had anything positive to say about General Dynamics and how they proceeded with this project. The article quotes a former official in an Army office supervising the factory as saying it's an absolute disaster. The Army should have gone after recovering money from General Dynamics. Yeah, no, I mean they should have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But that gets the central contradiction of the American war machine, which is that the point of it is to give money to defense contractors not actually supposed to have to use the stuff.
Speaker 7: I should say here.
Speaker 2: General Dynamics is one of the companies most responsible for inventing that state of affairs. This is we're going to talk about these folks because they keep coming up when you look into like defense relateds, golduggery and fuckery and like us history. I feel like now is probably is a good time to talk a little bit about their history. We're gonna I'm gonna give a brief overview of these guys because we're in an illegal war that's currently shuffling a fortune to defense contractors, and we should probably talk about one of the most corrupt members of that family. The General Dynamics Corporation was founded at the tail end of the nineteenth century by Isaac Leopold Rice, a businessman and a music coologist who was born in Bavaria and raised in Milwaukee. He made his fortune doing a mix of railroad law and publishing sheet music, and eventually got into the electric battery and vehicle business. This ended with him involved in submarines, because early Navy subs ran on electric power when submerged. In eighteen ninety nine, he purchased the halland Torpedo Boat Company and named it the Electric Boat Company. The Electric Boat Company remained a submarine manufacturer after his death in nineteen fourteen, providing subs for not just the US government but the Peruvian government, and gradually spinning up to produce other kinds of boats, including PT boats for the US and Canadian militaries. After World War II, it purchased Convair, which made anti aircraft missiles, jet fighters, and the Atlas rockets used in the first US crewed orbital flight. This new company, a mix of the Electric Boat Company and Convair, became General Dynamics. In more recent decades, General Dynamics became the manufacturers of the feared Tomahawk cruise missile, arguably the most iconic ballistic missile in the entire US arsenal. It also kept making subs, including the famous Los Angeles Class and D. As time went on, the company got really really good at corruptly fucking US taxpayers out of their money. Investigative reporting first started shining a light on constant cost overruns and blown budgets in a series of GD defense contracts for a nineteen eighty five Time article by Charles Alexander. A federal grand jury first started investigating the company's cost overruns on submarines in nineteen seventy nine, but dropped the probe in nineteen eighty one for lack of enough evidence of fraud. Now the Justice Apartment has reopened the case in light of new information from p Tecis Veliattis, who in nineteen seventy seven became head of Electric Boat, the company's subuilding division in Grotton, Connecticut. His word is hardly unimpeachable. In nineteen eighty three he fled to his native Grease to avoid being tried on charges of perjuring himself before a grand jury and taking one point three million in kickbacks from a subcontractor. Velliotis has produced tapes in company documents that he claims reveal a pattern of waste, corruption and cover up at General Dynamics. In a tape of one talk he had with Lewis the chairman, for example, the chairman suggests that Velliottis reassured James Ashton, a discontented Electric Boat executive, that he is still in the running for a promotion, in order to keep him from popping off about shoddy work at the yard. So we have all of these tapes from this equally shady dude, villiatdis because nobody who's in a high position in the defense contracting industry is not constantly committing crimes. And the tapes that he provided showed several things that are very familiar to the Mesquite factory case. For one thing, Villiadis provided a nineteen seventy seven tape with the company's executive vice president, Gordon MacDonald, telling him that the company had issued an impossible delivery timetable for the first Trident submarine because the CEO of General Dynamics wanted to quote keep our stock price from sliding. In other words, every time that the stock price slides, you can announce, oh, we're about to release the Trident, and you can get a quick.
Speaker 7: Boost in the stock price.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And as a result of this kind of fuckery, the sub was not produced until two years after this date. Now that's pretty bad. But the incident that actually sparked the first known criminal investigation of a defense contractor came in nineteen eighty three when General Dynamics tried to charge the Air Force ninety six hundred dollars for a four inch long wrench. And this revealed a bunch of if you've ever heard stories of like six thousand dollars wrenches and YadA YadA, four thousand dollars plungers. It's General Dynamics that people are talking about. That was a real series of like news articles and eventually congressional investigations into the fact that they were charging absurd amounts of money for bullshit. Now, part of the reason for this was that, like Navy and Air Force, procurement was completely fucked in this point, and they just did not keep a backlog of like the material they needed to repair their shit on hand. But a lot of it was just massive rampant corruption with companies like General Dynamics in particular. Now, charges like this inspired further investigations into how GD functioned, and this eventually led to a congressional inquiry. It came out that in nineteen eighty two, General Dynamics had asked the Pentagon to pay almost nineteen million dollars in overhead costs for their company HQ. These were not what you'd call unavoidable expenses. Quote four hundred and ninety eight hundred and forty dollars for Lewis's that's the chairman's personal flights on corporate jets, often to and from his farm in Albany, five hundred and thirty eight seven hundred and eighty one dollars for contributions in memberships, including te club fees for top executives, and one hundred and fifty five dollars for the kinneling of a dog named Firston while its owner, a General Dynamics executive, attended a company conference at a South Carolina resort. At last week's hearing, Congressman dingle Quiz Lewis about a five hundred and seventy one dollars charge for a king size serted a perfect sleeper mattress and a box spring set, which was delivered to the Clayton Inn in suburban Saint Louis. It was for mister Velliatis, since Lewis, who explained that the executive said he needed the bed for times he came to Saint Louis for meetings, added Gordon McDonald, a General Dynamics executive Vice president. Mister Velliattis, being a very large man, complained so much to the secretary of the company that he got tired of hearing it and bought the bed. Valiatis denied that the bed was for him. So just very funny stories consistently when you look into like eighties defense contractor procurement issues, specifically around General Dynamics. Now, I know what you're wondering, how did they get away with such corruption? Well, that nineteen million dollars the US government spent on complete bullshit fees was matched with one point two four million dollars in the General Dynamics accountmant purely to entertain Pentagon officials in nineteen seventy seven. They have a twenty five dollars diamond earring set to the wife of Admiral Hyman rickover head of the nuclear propulsion program. Now, to be fair to Hymen, the real reason they were trying to butter him up is that he had repeatedly complained about the company. But this is the kind of shit that they have been doing forever. Like the fact that they have now spent half a billion dollars of taxpayer money on a factory that does not work is nothing new to General Dynamics. And I'm sure they've now promised to put another two hundred million dollars into the factory and that it'll be producing twenty thousand shells a month at least within a year. I'm sure at some point they'll get at work if they keep shoveling a bunch of money into it. But make no mistake, it will not be General Dynamics money. It will be money one way or the other that US taxpayers have given them that winds up eventually, maybe making this factory produce a single shell. Anyway, General Dynamics, Let's.
Speaker 11: Go on one more had break and then talk about bonds and floor.
Speaker 21: I guess, yeah, wild, speaking of unbelievably corrupt bullshit that is directly tied to the American war efforts in Iran.
Speaker 1: Okay, so bonds are not normally an extremely exciting topic. So let's start off with the glaring part, which is that early this week, the yields on US Treasury bonds, specifically thirty year tea notes, hit highs not seen since two thousand and seven, several weeks before the collapse of the American stock markets. Is also noted by several analysts that the other times that we've seen peaks like this were like nineteen thirty nine, right before that, and I think there was another one of these I forgot. I forgot the other economic collapse where there was a there was a giant one of these right before it.
Speaker 7: Like the nineteen twenty ninety thirty one. Is that like black.
Speaker 11: Fright, Yeah, there's one more.
Speaker 1: I think it mout have been like the dot com bubble or something. I forget what juddle, But the experts suggests that bond markets only do this when they are in extreme distress. So what does this actually mean. Bonds are a thing that, in this case, you can get from the governments and you pay the government money, and the government promises you to pay back more money later, and the yield is like how much more money they're they're giving you back? Right, High yields on bonds means, you know, an increase of the cost of borrowing, and high yields on US government bonds is a sign of growing distrust in the long run economic feature of the US. Usually, these bonds pay like absolute shit. But the reason they pay like shit is that it's the US government. You're guaranteed to get your money back, so they're supposed to be an extremely safe asset, right, And when these rates are up, it's because everyone is you know, looking at something happening in the market, and something happening structurally in the US economy and panicking. Now, one of those things is they're looking at the US debt and panicking, and you know, whether or not that's like a great way to evaluate how panicky they have to be is an open question. This has been one of the lines that's been coming out is that they're looking at you know, the US date and increasing faster than expected. The main thing, however, that has been setting off this particular wave of like mass selling of bonds is the collapse of that sixty day piece deal that Robert was talking about earlier, which you know, I don't think anyone who was actually following the conflict really thought that was going to go anywhere. But the thing that was important about it, strategically from the American side was that this was this was the thing that investors in financial antas were hanging their hat on. And you know that these these people had convinced themselves that this process was actually going to result in the end of the war, and that quickly ending the war was going to you know, restore economic growth et cetera, et cetera, and stay off inflation. And this was sort of the week as as as I mentioned earlier the Brent crude index hit ninety dollars a barrel and the peace talks formally completely collapsed. That there was a growing realization that this war is not going to end. The economic conditions caused by the war not ending out going to continue, which means inflation is going to increase and it's going to have sort of far reaching and long lasting economic impacts. Now, this is a global squeeze that's been hitting most developed countries. Japan has also been very badly hit by these sort of shocks in bond yields. Now, what's interesting reading analysis of it is that you're actually starting to see a lot of firms. JP Morgan is a good example of this with JP Morgan. For like, basically since the war has started, JP Morgan's analysis has been the war is going to end, and when the war ends, things will go back to normal. So we're just going to keep projecting things are going to be fine. They are finally pointing out the things that we've been saying, which is that yeah, the no, the war is not ending and it's wreaking havoc on global supply chains. Now, the other thing that's been causing this run up. There's two sides of this back to back that seem very conflicting, which is, on the one hand, there is growing fear over the fact that the AI bubble looks like it's going to collapse, right and we've seen this was sort of like the kast b shock I was talking about earlier, where you know, the stock market like ten five to ten percent of the stock markets create stock markets value keeps disappearing overnight and then reappearing the next day. But then and this is sort of fascinating. One of the other things that's been happening is that there has been an unbelievable proliferation of bonds issued by AI companies because these AI companies are having to go to the finance markets to fund all of their weird data center bullshit. And this has gotten a bunch of investors to pull their money out of very safe US bonds and put them into hideously unsafe AI I bonds, a thing which I don't even this obviously is going to go catastrophically wrong. I don't have a sophisticated analysis for why, like taking the money out of the US government and putting it into this AI company is going to create a transcendent God is a terrible idea. And what we've kind of seen in the past couple of days as these bond yields have risen as from a combination of these factors, is it looks like the beginning of the moment where wildly coyote like looks down and realizes that he's off the cliff. Now, on Wednesday, the Treasury began a massive buyback of treasury bonds going to quote from CNBC here. Under the accelerated buy back, Treasury, led by Secretary Scott Bessant, will target the ten to twenty year and twenty to thirty year portion of the market, which has seen a buyer strike since late June. The government will at least double the maximum size of its buyback operation from two billion to quote at least four billion dollars, according to an announcement from the Department. Now, in terms of the actual size of this buyback, which is like not a great sign when the government is buying back its own debt in an attempt to stabilize the market. But that's not you know, in terms of the size of like the US bomb market, that's really a drop in the bucket. But it does seem to have temporarily sort of stabilized the markets on the belief that if things continue to go run, the government will step in. However, the actual underlying economic metrics remain bad for everything in the economy that isn't ai and this is one of the things that traditionally heralds a fall on economic collapse. Now, it's also worth noting that, you know, cosp for example, keeps hitting its circuit breaker. That's something that also traditionally has been like the prelude to collapse, and it hasn't yet. So you know, we're we're in it. We're in a deeply weird and semi unprecedented time in the markets and in sort of the behavior of these investors and financial actors.
Speaker 11: But it's not good.
Speaker 3: It's my, it's my.
Speaker 1: It's a conclusion on the state of the US bond market and the global economy at large.
Speaker 11: Let's close with elections, and I want to start with a quick correction for one or two of my last election segments. I keep calling Governor Tim Walls Mike Walls, and I don't know why this keeps happening. I picture his face in my mind, and I just like autocreks to Mike. I've caught this a few times and fixed it before the episode goes out, but this pastime I did not.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 11: Slightly more importantly, I also accidentally referred to Mike Rogers in Michigan as the incumbent, and that is not true. This Senate race is open and Rogers's former congressmen. These are, you know, smaller details and stories that are focused more on how DSA left wing candidates are running their campaigns. But these types of details are still important to get right, and I regret the error. Let's turn to Florida, where I'm sad to say the resistance has been defeated.
Speaker 2: Now, Garrison, are you talking about Florida the state or flow RDA of the musical?
Speaker 7: Since now you missed a good chance to pivot with talking of regret, and then.
Speaker 11: I thought about doing that, but I'm like, no, I would rather not, because I'm just saying I still think there's hope for Florida.
Speaker 7: I said, bold take.
Speaker 11: But American hero Alexander Vinman will not be that hope.
Speaker 7: You'll be assuring another correction for that bad boy. Let me tell you.
Speaker 11: I'm talking in the grands. Okay, I'm talking about in the cosmic sense, not in the short term.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, I agree with you. I have hope for the Feraridianes.
Speaker 11: The resistance has been defeated. American hero Alexander Vinman, the whistleblower who testified in Trump's first impeachment hearings, has lost the Democratic nomination for US Senate in an upset to Angie Nixon, a state representative from Jacksonville and a Democratic socialist. Nixon won by one hundred and fifty thousand votes.
Speaker 7: Oh wow, it's fifty.
Speaker 11: Six point one percent to Vinman's forty three point nine. And this, this, this is a big upset because Nixon was out fundraised sixteen to one. She had just under a million dollars while vinmin raked in over sixteen million. And I think, like a resist lib hero, losing a primary to a socialist in Florida is astounding.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Now, Nixon's a union organizer who's running on Medicare for all, the taxing billionaires, free childcare, universal jobs program, and opposition to Israel. She was endorsed by alanomar Or. She did a Tleeve needed Turner, Cory Bush, and Miss Rachel who's listed in the National Leaders section of Nixon's website.
Speaker 1: For her or you're only truly good national leader. No complaints with her?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Miss Rachel shown more spine than most of Congress in the last few years.
Speaker 11: Nixon was also endorsed by Working Families Party, Local Unions, JVP, Jewish hoysh for Peace and Track APAK. She joined DSA this past June, but did not pursue an endorsement, so is a relative newcomer to DSA as an organization. Do you want to play this clip from her back in November twenty twenty three, a month into Israel's attacks on Gaza, we are at.
Speaker 22: Ten thousand dead Palestinians.
Speaker 12: How man it will be enough?
Speaker 6: I also.
Speaker 11: One of the lawmaker's Republican Michelle Saltzman, just shouted out all of them in the hearing. I'll continue the clip, Jesus.
Speaker 22: One of my colleagues just said all of them.
Speaker 14: Wow.
Speaker 11: One of my colleagues fed all of them.
Speaker 22: One of my colleagues also stated that this is gonna dry up their fundraising if we vote on this resolution. I also want that like, that's what we've become in this state. That's what we've become in this state. Well, we don't care about innocent babies that don't even get the opportunity to blow out their first birthday candle.
Speaker 11: So this was a ceasefire resolution just a month in two the war.
Speaker 7: Do you have the sense of like turnout versus like electoral Like I'm wondering, is this a like people who turn out for primaries tend to be like a more politically engaged and people who turn out for generals or is this a like this because it's she clearly has, like just looking at that speech, she has a genuine commitment to what she's talking about. And I think people, yes, I appreciate that more than like you said, a resist lib hero.
Speaker 11: Definitely, And I mean certainly I think in generals can attract a bigger portion of the elector. Yeah, but there's there's a few things going on that created this this pretty pretty big difference in votes, like over one hundred and fifty thousand. Yeah, it's big, and like, in my mind, this relates to two of the elections last week in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The My Pillow primary, where Trump endorsed Mike Lindell lost the Republican governatorial primary to the state Speaker of the House, and like this this is kind of like the idea that a national political celebrity can just like waltz into your state and gobble up a nomination. Both Lindell and Alexander Vinman, you know, come from like the Trump world, albeit on opposite side. It's still part of like like you know, the Trumpian political circuit, and voters rejected both of them in favor of proven state lawmakers, you know, Janio, a more like regular state level Republican, and Angie Nixon, who's like a community organizer with like deep connections to a lot of a lot of different commun in the state and specifically the working class black community. Now, the other interesting thing that this race kind of continues the conversation on relates to Francesca Hong's loss last week. As as I discussed last week, Hong did not pay for any TV ads and Nixon only spent sixty thousand on ADS, was zero spent on broadcast or cable. Meanwhile, Vinman spent two point two million on ADS. That's thirty six times as much as Nixon. Yeah, and Nixon still wants dumping money off a cliff. That's because she actually ran a real campaign, like on the ground, and Vinman did not. He ran an incredibly lazy campaign. He really thought he could just like coast to the nomination based on his resist Live credentials. And you know, while that maybe helped in Palm Beach, it did not help him in the rest of the state, where where just he got absolutely trounced by Nixon. Like if you look at like the county map, it's like whoa.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So come November, Nixon will face the incumbent Senator Ashley Moody, the former state ag who Ron De Santis appointed to fill Marco Rubio's Senate seat after he was tapped for Secretary of State. And like Rubio is, Rubio has had a strong hold on that seat for decades. So the hope for Florida Democrats is that Ashley Moody won't command as much loyalty at the ballot box as Rubio does, or as Rubio did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe and maybe maybe, like a critical one percent of the Republican vote thinks that she's another Nixon. Yeah, yeah, hopefully you never know, but like this could very likely be a much harder uphill battle than even you know, like the Texas Senate race was hilarigo. In this recent election, there were around three hundred thousand fewer votes in the Democratic primary than the GOP primary. Like this is this is going to be a very difficult race to win.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I don't want to, you know, understate how impressed of this primary win like really is. And like I don't think anyone will false Nixon or her politics if she loses in the general.
Speaker 7: I mean someone will someone right, a shitty Like it's just see end of the leftop ed right, they always do.
Speaker 11: It doesn't massive they will, they will try to Like a lot of Centrists do not expect Vinman to win if he wins the primaries. So like it's it's a setate seat in Florida. It's like that's right, that's the thing.
Speaker 7: It's just I'm reflecting on the fact that like people have taken Hong's result and been like, oh, the progressive left is dead, and then they're still treating Callarico like he's uh, like the presumptive victor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they'll say yeah, but like yeah, I mean, I think one thing we probably should take from Hong's election is that television ads cannot be disposed of so quickly yet at the general Yeah, I mean it, I mean period like it. I think that's one of the things that definitely hurt her campaign is that they made a big choice not to do tv ads.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I want to write everything down to that, but yeah, that was certainly a factor in Wisconsin. Nixon's like ground game in Florida was able to overcome the massive deficit in spending and just not really many funds for tv ads. And I think yeah, because this is a Florida Senate see that Vindman was not expected to win into general and he was the presumptive nominee. But because this race will be so hard to win, it'll be harder to like blame her or her politics specifically for losing. I think this race can also be a big opportunity to push the overtin window in Florida and I come November, it will be really interesting to see what the result of this election are because if this is a super close race, even if she's still loses, hopefully she will not lose, but if this race even gets to be where it's like more competitive than what it's been for the past like ten fifteen years, I think that could be an interesting look at how much Trump is hurting Republicans in elections, like exactly how upset parts of his base are at the current state of things, and to what degree that affects turnout. But also on the other hand, if Nixon and her politics are able to form a new coalition and attract voters that might not usually vote for Democrats, might not usually vote for socialists, or might not vote at all, because even just in this primary, her core voter base was very different than what's currently considered to be DSA's most reliable voters. Nixon did best in districts that were majority non college educated, and that's usually the reverse for a lot of DSA type candidates in other states. So she was getting out a slightly different voter base than what L said was getting out than what DSA candidates in New York have been getting out, especially in the primaries. So I think she is someone to watch and could alter what's seen as politically possible in Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to say briefly also that there is a chance that you know, with how badly the Republicans are doing on generic ballots, I mean, like the good projections right now have them down seven points on just like a generic Democrat versus the Republican ballot, Like there is a small chance that we get a two thousand and eight style blowout and she wins, which it's not impossible in a way that it usually is. It would be historic, right, it would. Yeah, No, it's possible, just extremely unlikely. But like a I don't think it's likely, but it would be like a history. It's more likely than any of the times people have said that Democrats are going to take Texas. So I'll say about this like it's like actually technically possible. So while this is a big win for the left, statewide, DSA candidates did not fare as well in the recently redistricted US House races in Florida. Let's brevely talk about my boy, Oliver Larkin. Larkin was running for House District twenty five. That's Miami, DoD Palm Beach, and Broward County, not exactly the friendliest waters for an anti Israel socialist. I got sixteen, two hundred and eighty four votes, while the incumbent House Rep. Jared Moscowitz won with twenty eight thousand, two hundred and ninety four votes. Larkin is DSA endorsed, and he ran a solid campaign with an impressive ground game, over five hundred volunteers, forty thousand doors knocked seven hundred and fifty thousand calls. He campaigned with Angie Nixon. Also this past month, A Larkin has gone and this is a technical term, a beast mode in TV news interviews. Here's Larkin getting some pushback from a Fox News anchor on abolishing and prosecuting ice.
Speaker 23: What is the number that is fine with you? Is there is there a benchmark? Is it fine how many children can be raped? And it's fine if you're in relation to the immigration community.
Speaker 24: If we're going to talk about children being raped, then we need to hold this pedophile president Donald Trump accountable and all those that have been implicated by the Epstein sales. That Partment of Justice is still not leaking and they've sent a pack after Thomas Massey for having the temerity to accountables.
Speaker 4: That are in control of our government.
Speaker 7: Cue, oh, you appreciate your time very much.
Speaker 11: So beyond like attention grabbing moments like that, he's also very clearly articulated the details of his platform and defended it and DSA against bad way attacks. He's talked about the need for a new past to citizenship and just how cost prohibitive it is for immigrants to maintain the documented status, and Trump has made things even harder on purpose to manufacture a political crisis. On Foxy, argued very eloquently against providing Israel with so called defensive weapons, which he rejected as a categorical term. And he's gone toe to toe with Sean AKA Scott Hannity on tax reform earlier this week on Local ten. This Week in Florida, host Glenna Milberg abruptly cut off her interview with Larkin after he said that Israel has committed a genocide, which she claimed was quote unquote factually incorrect.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 11: Also late last week, Lower Lumer and Democrat state Representative Michael Gottlieb tried to shut down a get out the vote rally for Larkin, Angie Nixon, and another DSA candidate, Elijah Manley, called chomp the oligarchy with a I want to say alligator or crocodile on front. Don't don't at me.
Speaker 7: It's going to be an alligator, right, whatever the ones are in Florida, alligator anything we have any indigenous crocodiles.
Speaker 11: Democrats State Rep. Michael Gottlieb said the rally was quote unquote anti jew and told his constituents to not support the venue hosting the event. Lor Lumer led an online harassment campaign targeting quote gie Hottist Congresswoman Rashida Talib, who was slated to speak at the rally. Lumer said that Telib was quote bringing her band of jew haters to South Florida and said that Oliver Larkin quote unquote hates Jewish people and that he's trying to primary Jared Massowitz because he is Jewish. Now, the venue originally contracted for the rally canceled. They pulled out when the organizers wouldn't remove Rashida Talib as a speaker. The rally was rescheduled for August fourteenth, and the organizers secured a second venue, which also canceled the night before the chomp. The Oligarchy rally was supposed to take place next morning. The organizers found a third location, which was kept secret until hours before the rally, which was then also streamed live, and the owner of that third venue, which did ultimately host the event, said that within hours his phone was bombarded with like six hundred messages from people protesting the rally. This kind of shows, like this, the speed and scale of the harassment campaign led by Lumer and this state Democrat. So unfortunately, you know, Larkin did not win. I'm interested to see what he does next. I think it would be a mistake if he just completely disappears. Think he's a good communicator, whether you know something like DSA national wants to tap into that, or if he wants to work on some other campaigns like Angie Nixon's campaign, which I think he's he's indicated he'll do. But but after the general be very interested to see what what he does in the future and to close Like at this point in like big cities, you know, in blue states, DSA are left socialist candidates can only really like run to win, like that's that's what you have to do. Now, there's no more of this like participation trophies. It's it's you have to you have to win. But it's it's also really important for DSA to expand their electoral efforts into red states and districts that are not solid blue and in that vein I think what DSA has done in Florida this primary reminds me of what nyc DSA was doing in New York like a decade ago, experimenting, building, organizing campaigns, running candidates. Even if there is a huge uphill battle, campaign volunteers get to you know, get experience, and you find your base of sport that can be built on in future races. And in that sense, I think what they were able to pull off, including in some very hostile districts, was impressive. Now will continue in some form with Angie Nixon running for Senate these next few months. Finally, finally, before we close, I should mention James fish Back, Enemy of the Pod, the Groyferd candidate for governor, came in third place in the GOP gobernatorial primary. He was expected to come in second, so that is interesting. But Jay Collins instead got second place with almost half a million votes. Oh, he got waxed Byron Donald's the expected winner one with eight hundred and ten thousand votes. Fishback got just less than two hundred thousand, which is way too many votes. He should not be He should not be getting that number of votes. That is not great. His can was very tailored to a type of voter. And also like places online and locations in the state that the other candidates were not tailoring for. So I I don't want to like overstate the sort of impact of Fishbeck's campaign because there was really no one else kind of going after that block, like especially late if Fishback was pivoting very hard into like anti data center stuff very late into the race to try to you know, attract more voters. Really, so like he was, he was doing stuff that other Republicans just were not doing, and you know, using that sneak o Nick Fuentes asthma Goold endorsement, which which which got him more than one hundred and fifty thousand votes, which is not great.
Speaker 6: Yeah is it is?
Speaker 11: It is just over ten percent of the Republican vote.
Speaker 7: I think Garrison and I made an episode about Fishback, god knows how long ago.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I don't know what he'll He'll he might just try to get some sort of like right wing far right pundit job in the future. We'll see. Yeah, yeah, I want to.
Speaker 1: I want to also convey so Sophie's message of fuck Byron Donald's this guy also sucks. But yeah, yeah, it's it's a Republican primary. They're all going to be like you're in a race with the worst, second worst or third worst person you've ever seen.
Speaker 11: So yeah, but yeah, that is that is Florida. Yeah, that is our our buye by annual Florida check in.
Speaker 7: If you are in Florida or elsewhere, you can email us. You're seeing the email address Cool Zone tips at Proton don't meet. Hey, you want it to be encrypted? Senate for another Proton address. Yeah, have fun with that, don't. It's still doing it with the fucking marketing emails. By the way, like every time I think I've blocked a you bastards. Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Put a transgirl on your couch.
Speaker 11: We reported the news.
Speaker 8: We reported the news.
Speaker 2: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 25: It could Happen Here is a production of pool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website folzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources where it Could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.