Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mike Si and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insider's podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation law firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell. Welcome back to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast. Matt Murphy, Lauren Rosen. This was the Reggie Jackson episode. We were now joined by a special guest to himself.
Speaker 4: You can't forget me if you see him, you see me security guard being a security from the day you guy not here but in Detroit. And yes, lesson might touch him if they want to.
Speaker 3: It's Andre Drummer if you don't know already, But let's let's start with that. Obviously, Reggie, your shared history in LA with Paul George as well, but Detroit time with with Andre Drummon. So how much are you looking forward to being reunited with both of your previous teammates here in Philadelphia?
Speaker 1: Man, I was excited, uh going through process when I got the call to possibly come to Philly understanding that talk to Paul, knowing that he was here. But shoot, dre I was excited. He shoot, he texted me early once he signed. Nothing was even in the fold for me moving or what was going to be understood, But he kind of texted me. I refused to text back in a sense, I'm like, already know what he's gonna I know what he's in a text about. But he was the first person I hit up as soon as I saw ed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at what point did you decide to text back? And how did you feel when he touched it back?
Speaker 4: When I saw when I saw well, just think I said, you're bro with the f man. I think text you for like two weeks. It's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: He texted me. He texted quite a bit. I was on vacation. I tried to call him connection and go through. Then.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: We definitely made sure to touch base once I signed, So it was like, obviously we broke the news early, and then I think my first call was the DRE So I was like, yeah, we're back together. We got to figure out how to do what we can to help the team, but it's just gonna be good to be around each other again. Then, especially uh, PG was definitely, you know up there in the next call, excited to be back together. He was, He's talking to me about trying to get me over here, lure me in and shoot. He did it once, so I figured we could do it again twice.
Speaker 2: You're already a pro with the Segways. But I was going to ask you next about Paul George. You shared that you guys were actually roommates for a series of summers. Can you take us back and explain what the dynamic of your relationship is.
Speaker 1: That that's been another brother to me. So having Andre having Pg's going to be amazing for me, But honestly, it was with the same agency I came in during the lockout year in twenty eleven. Guys started to fall out later when we kind of figured out there might be a lockout, we weren't sure what was gonna happen. So we got kind of close, just more so being part of the same agency working out as guys kept falling off, continue to work out, continue just to hang out. And I'm just thankful for how great he is. He kind of took me under his wing. I couldn't get back home at the time, taking a loan out, not sure where money's gonna come from, just waiting for hopefully first NBA check. And then he invited me over for Thanksgiving out in the Boonie so to see his family, and his family's so welcoming. It was amazing to be together. And then I think we just hit it off from there. So just cheering for him, rooting them on. While he was in Indiana the next summer, I loved where he was staying, so I really was just reaching out to him to try to.
Speaker 3: He said, hey, is it the same place?
Speaker 1: Well, no, for me, I was gonna ask him. I was like what was the name of the apartments that you were staying at. I'm thinking about hitting them up. He kind of responded back, disappeared for a couple of days. Next thing I know, he was like, why would you stay there? Like, let's why don't we just get a spot together? And from there, I think we stayed together for about six years each summer. So just that connection, it's it's amazing. It's a bond that you know, it's unbreakable bond. Families are close that. Like I said, it's the brothers and me are always rooting for them no matter what the circumstances are. And I'm just happy that we can be back together on the court.
Speaker 2: And Andre, you said you visited the summerhouse, what was what was it like and what was the context of Like how invite to visit?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, we were both in the Olympics at the time too, so I got invited for for that reason. That's how our connection started with USA basketball and he was over there He's like, Yo, if you're not doing anything, pull up to the house.
Speaker 1: So mind you this is like what that's probably don't think I don't think I signed my contract at fourteen.
Speaker 4: Then yeah, and signed my contract at SO to me seeing this, how I was like, yeah, this WI money looks like I guess I was just so big I got lost on multiple occasions. So just going there and just you know, being welcomed in this welcome to his home, just based off the relationship we have with USA basketball. Paul's just a stand up guy, you know, from the first that met him to present day. Still cool to this day when I see him, Like when you go to war with somebody and you build that relationship, it's always loved no matter how long you're apart from each other. So we sing with Jack too. You know, we went to war for years and the relationship always stand no matter where we went together.
Speaker 3: And Reggie, you and Paul, not just I mean through the agency, not just as teammates, but your your connection goes back from what I understand even to the AAU days. But the details are a little foggy. For on Paul George's end of playing against you, did he know you as just the good player from Denver in AAU ball. What's the story with that.
Speaker 1: I actually remember seeing PG and it was like Klay Thompson, Drew and all those guys. So I had never played AU and understand what it was. So I was excited to go. And then like he was there's a tall lank he got super tall, but kind of shoot who he is today? The smooth looking kid on their team. But like I said, seeing the Drew Holidays, seeing the Larry Drews, which we got, we got to play for his dad senior in LA, like that was when like I just wanted to measure up, see how good I was. At the time, I didn't know about other states playing basketball. Honestly, I had no idea. You so kind of researching and everybody's like, there's this pumping run, pumping run California, Like all right, I don't know who it is. But yeah, So the first time I seen them out there, I was like, oh, I know who this Drew Holiday kid is. I've kind of studied now, I know Larry Drew's I've seen I think Paul George is a sleeper, you know, Clay was a sleeper. But they had a pretty stacked team. So seeing them and then finally getting a chance to compete against them, it was very fun. I think that's where I got some of my confidence from and never knew that a lot of those guys would be the guys that were my peers I had to get a chance to play against so for most of my career. So shout out just thankful for the you circuit at the time, thankful to those guys allowed me to get a chance to measure up and really try to see where I was to keep giving me confidence to be able to play this long. But it was funny because then we were chatting once we were living together, like, hey man, I was like, I think I remember who you were and the teams he played on, especially the guys that he had made connection with, things like I know you from color Like did you play with a certain team? Are like yeah, He's like there was this one kid used to wear his headband on top of his head and I'm like, oh, you're talking about me. I had no idea, and come front forward, I've been like five years separation to then. Now we've had a bond ever since.
Speaker 4: It's funny best been in the league because that's the that's what I know him by too. When I was when I was in high school, I saw him that Boston College and that's what he had, the headband. That's how I remember who he was until he came back and played with me Detroit, so definitely stood out that had been because he definitely didn't worth the right way.
Speaker 1: And then we tried to get him on campus, but you know, popped up. He was a kid in the Northeast that everybody wanted. We moved working probably get me at BC. So it's funny at all comes forward is these relationships that you bypass each other in history and then you end up being real cool and friends for life down the road. So, like I said, it's funny to all kind of interact with PG at times with how we truly met. Have we seen each other as afar? I remember seeing Dre as a young kid being who Dre is now and then I never always just feel like I just try to lie in the shadows and be myself. But how he was like, He's like, yeah, you used to wear your head band. All funny and all we got to de trade him like, oh I remember you, you remember who I am. So it's funny with the game's done with a lot of these relationships that I've had in my life.
Speaker 3: You ended up at Boston College, So how did you? How did you end up on the East Coast because before Colorado and high school, you you lived all over because your dad was in the Air Force. How did you end up picking Boston College?
Speaker 1: Honestly, man, funny story. I was always tell all the time shots one of the Chauncey Bilichi was supposed to be at Colorado. There was. It's just a terrible mishap. I was honestly supposed to be funneled into Colorado. My one of my best friends from Colorado, his dad is he's been the what is the announcer, like the media voice for air Force forever. So coach Bisdelic was at air Force. My best friend's dad works at air Force. Sometime like since I got there middle school. He goes to see you. Everybody's like, Oh, this is gonna be easy transition. The visitor just didn't go well. Unfortunately, Terrell's here, who played at Oklahoma State. One of the coaches actually so way he doesn't know. I remember I went to one of their little mini camps, ended up ducking on some kid in their regular camp. Got invited to like do a little unofficial visit there. So that's actually where I wanted to go, but the coaching staff had kind of told me that it probably didn't work be there long. So I appreciate their honesty because that allowed me to not probably waste my time. I really wanted to go o Goha State. Then at when I was like fifteen, I think BC. Actually that's when they transferred into from Big East to the ACC Man they had a great showing a bunch of probably guys who kind of a similar route I did, au like unknown, and then they had some guys go to the league. So that was one of those I kind of paid attention. I'm trying to ride a similar wave, be around guys that are similar to me, and my mom had lived in Florida, so Boston College just went there. So I was like, I remember seeing them at fifteen sixteen, I was like, man, if they ever offered me, I'd probably go there. Just randomly. I was like, I'm actually look into it. And then I had a really great teammate Rip Drew Gordon. That's the first team ever played was Oakland Soldiers. They had like six kids in top one hundred, and my teammate at Boston College and who I went with, he had like sixty in overtime and it was like one of the games. I yeah, no, killing I had thirty and then that was my coach. Now is that you mass lol, So we always talked about then that's kind of we were a packaged deal to go to BC, so kind of flunking out with where I was supposed to go to college everywhere else the options that I wanted to BC was an acc and came to fruition. So a kid who just said I might go there if they ever offered me at seventeen, I could offer basically right at the end of the summer, and from there it was easy. It was an easy call. It was a chance to play in front of my family and the East College, chance to playing for my mom, possibly two times at Florida State and Miami. I always grew up a fan of North Carolina Tar Hills, and my motto was, I didn't get invited, so if you can't beat him, or if you can't join and beat them. So it was just a chance, especially at the time it was one of the power conferences for basketball. So I've always just wanted to see where I measure up, Like, I just wanted to play the basketball, do something I love as long as I can, and just see where I fall amongst my peers, and I've just been atramely blessed. But that's kind of how I ended up at BC. Thankful for my time here all the time. A lot of the relationships I've made, the bonds I made for a lifetime, I'm thankful. So it's funny how everything the game's done for me and a lot of relationships that I have because of it.
Speaker 3: Fast forward about a decade.
Speaker 2: You guys become teammates for the first time. How did you go from new teammates to this dynamic duo? You said package deal? Y'all sort of came here together this time as well. I understand there was some not texting back, but we made it. Can you sort of take us through sort of that friendship from being teammates for the first time to today rejoining here?
Speaker 1: You got it? Or we could both do. I'll give half the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Andre start and then you can call him out if he messes anything up.
Speaker 1: I think you was just I couldn't wait. I watched him, so I was like, I can't wait to be lave this kid. Your drumming like a chance to play with a center, athletic center, young upcoming hungry as Shroggsy is gifties he is, and I just remember the first time we met, but chatting it off and they were running and playing around. I was like, I was like, all right, I couldn't play the first game, but I remember time. I was like, if we ever get a chance played, I was like, be ready, I'll throw a lob from anywhere. He was like all right, kind of brushed it off. I think, like you're crazy. The first love we got was beyond half court and he was like, yo, you threw the ball and I was like, oh, if I throw it, it just goes out of bounce like right. He was like gaudy dunk and he's like, oh snap. And then he hung out with me and yeah. So then I had to meet with the owner and he came and he helped me out like being uncomfortable. Him and the owner were really close, so then me and him just hit it off. Actually where they put me in like this housing facility, I ended up looking. I didn't know Drake was there, so like I drive up, I'm looking like that Carlo's familiar. One day and next time I look out of my kitchen window and I think I'm on the second floor. Dre's on the floor, so like we actually could see each other diagonally, and I was like, wait, Drake. So ever since then we were just like inseparable. He's either at my spot or my hisads were playing the game. It would be two three am, like all right, we got to go to sleep, we have to get ready for work. We were just literally NonStop, whether always chatting what we see on the court, hanging out off the court. It just became like inseparable. We wanted to make sure our bond was as close as it could be, so we won, just trying to win as much you can of court, where we actually enjoyed being around each other and enjoy a lot of the same things, similar humor, similar games that we're into. But I really think it was more so the human part, like things that we find funny, random shows. And our families have made it easier too, because then they hit it off. So I think when your people hit it off as well and you're into a lot of the same things, it makes it easy. And he was just he's just genuine, Like honestly, the best thing for me was Dre was genuine. He's down to earth and He's exactly who he presents to be, So it made it easy for me to just kind of open up and be myself. Like I said, a lot of these guys, for me, I didn't know them because they played the au circuit. Things have gone, they've been in camps together. I'm kind of outsider looking in. I was always confused how people knew each other because I did research from like, wait, one guys from Cali, one guys from Texas, and the other guys from New York, Like, how do y'all know each other? And this has been this whole basketball community. But even without necessarily having that in my baggage or reps, like Dre was just always accepting it who I am. So it was just amazing. Back man, at the time, I think I coached my few of my coach staff from OKAC was over there, so like they just made sure we were always connected and always gonna hang out and be around each other, and then it just never stops.
Speaker 2: So this reunion aside, just because you did agree to sit in on the Reggie episode, Andre before you knew that Reggie was coming to Philadelphia with you, can you take us inside the decision to return to Philly and what it means to you to be back here.
Speaker 4: I feel like it was a no brainer for me when they called, you know, I sat down, talked to Nick for a little bit, and then when the big fellow called me, It's kind of what really solidified it. Just his approaching what he wanted from me is what was attractive, So like, why not? I mean, I had a great relationship here, I played well here, I know the city, I know the team, I know everything about Philadelphia, So why not come back and do something that's bigger than me? And now that we had you know, one of my best friends ever, you know, it just makes this situation even better. Like I've been smiling for the past week when I found out that he was coming here.
Speaker 1: I've been so excited. Just a relationship for Reggie and I.
Speaker 4: Man, it's it's different because in this league, it's hard to get attached to somebody because of how it goes. You know, people get traded, people get waived, and you know, you never see them again. So when we got him, you know, I didn't know what to really expect because we just played him like a week prior, and we I think at dunked on search that's the game with dunkd on search right, and ended up getting him like a week, like a week or two later. So I'm like, damn, I just seen this dude and he comes in and he's similar to me, Like he does the same much he does it with his play. I have the personality, he has the chill side. So that's why we bounce each other out. But when we got him, I was like, man, there's something about this dude that's different. And he came to me. I didn't even get to go to him first. We started talking. We hit it off, and as he said, we lived in the same apartment complex. And when you start building those personal relationships, like our families are tied together, you know, makes it hard to not checking out somebody, you know. I think he's probably one of the only people I've really kept in contact with since twenty thirteen. Everybody else, you know, I say what's up, but like consistently him and Stanley Johnson or like the closest people in the NBA that I have and the three Musket teams. Yeah, I mean, it's it means the world to me that he's here, you know, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: It makes this like, so much more exciting.
Speaker 3: For me, letting your play do the talking. When you guys were with the Pistons, do you remember an early season game in Portland in twenty fifteen. It might have been the best game you've ever played. The game was a game career high on forty points.
Speaker 1: Nothing, It wasn't new, it was early in the year, and it's the game that shoot, it's the game that you and Marcus were yelling get forty. I'm like, who's gonna get forty? You? They like, I was like, what's forty? Meaning? Then I think I found there was like they pointed the board. I'm like, oh, I think like twenty four and the fourth But I had no idea. I'm just like I remember telling him like, yeah, we keep coming times, like all right, that's how we keep play. Let's keepetting bucket. She always doesn't scoring and points say anything. But I'm like, they're like, you're the one who's scoring, Like, oh, the balls moving. I didn't know the recipient, but that is one of the funniest games, funniest moments because at time too, I know he's gone, but it was Tobias, Marcus, Morris, Dre myself. We're all young. He's the youngest. Yeah, Like we're all trying to established ourselves, and I think everybody had like breakout games, but at that time, you can also like our group, we never paid attention necessarily stats. So it was just funny for me that at that moment, I think we're playing and that time we were riding away from might have been like twelve and four. So yeah, we were playing very well, but it was just funny for me, like having a group of guys who were in that excited about other people's success. Yeah, and I'm thinking it's just the team success. And I'm like I blank out a lot of times in games where I have no idea that I just feel the flow, like the we're flowing. I don't know who's necessary flowing, and it could be myself, but it just feels like just the right things are going on. So I've never been a person who necessarily can pay attention to what's going on in the scoreboard or stats or any of those. I just know either it's right or wrong, we're doing well or we're not, And the game always tells you how to play. So that's how I've always believed it, Like you got your guys who have to come in. Their job is to big game hunt. They have to do what they're supposed to do, and then it'll be somebody's night each and every night. It can change. But the game of basketball, that's one thing I loved about it is if you play it with a peer heart, you play the right way. I always feel I've always been taught that the cream of the car up rises to the top. So talent's gonna show for what it is, what you do. It's going to show for what it is and what you do. So if you're just true in your peer to your highest degree, then good things typically happen.
Speaker 3: Andre. When Reggie got forty, do you want to take a guess at your stat line from that game in twenty fifteen at Portland November, it was like twenty six and twenty twenty nine points and twenty seven rebounds, so not too bad.
Speaker 1: I was just saying, your best game, remember is the Boston one. I think the game to seven five steals and like four blocks.
Speaker 4: Almost had a trip with doublin Atlanta too. He's like, we've got a lot of good games.
Speaker 1: Man right at this age. Hopefully got a few in the tank. Got. He takes takes care of himself, takes great care of himself. He's got a lot in the tank. But hopefully, you know, we still got some myself, hopefully got some good games to help this team from just the whole thing is to win.
Speaker 2: Friend, bodyguard, coach, everything, got it.
Speaker 1: No doubt about motivator like Drey don't. He used to refuse to let me have bad days. That's his whole thing was. We were trying to not let each other have bad days. So just bonds like that. And honestly, is I know basketball, don't take care of yourself. I know we love the game. I know we're gonna put in the work, But is your approach. It's the energy that you come with. So knowing that I got two guys and Andre, and knowing I got Paul, I know guys who were going to try to keep me at my highest level in my degree, just being happiness, being centered and being focused. I look forward to the season.
Speaker 2: Andre. My last question for you, you mentioned that Joelle played a role in your decision to come back to Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: He picked up the phone.
Speaker 2: Understanding that one of the most recent MVP's, one of the most dominant players in this league made it a priority to make sure you got back here. Can you take us sort of inside that conversation with him and how much that meant to your decision making.
Speaker 4: I'll give you this, I don't want to give you the whole conversation.
Speaker 2: That's okay, that's okay, just.
Speaker 4: The fact that one of the best players in the world picked up the phone to call me. I mean, obviously, my resume speaks for herself, but through to the past, prior years of being you know, a backup for teams and for him to call me is it's insane.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I think my presence of what I did when I was here kind of stuck out to him, which is why he wanted me back here. And he said that, and you know, it's honor to have that kind of praise from a guy like that, And I told him that's what.
Speaker 1: I'm here to do.
Speaker 4: Whatever you need me to do, Bro, I'm here to help you out the best way I can. So again, the decision to come here was a no brainer.
Speaker 2: And then Guard to Guard, I wanted to ask you about Tyrese Maxey and what you observed about his game and his rise This quickly obviously you haven't been teammates to be played against each other.
Speaker 3: What do you see?
Speaker 2: Your eyes get big when I ask you about Tyrese? What have you observed?
Speaker 1: Heart He obviously has to be a hard worker, but a very confident guy. It's crazy with the amount of points he can put up. He seems like a very selpless teammate. So I'm just amazed. I can't wait to work with him, can't wait to see his appro teaching every day. But a guy who looks like he plays the game peer. He plays very plays with strengths, plays the right way. He plays to win. That's that's what really attracts me to his team is the opportunity to win. I'm just trying to play for to be the last one standing. That's always something special to do. And man, his his progress already in a short amount of time in this league has been tremendous. Honestly, Like, I'm excited like what he can do in the offensive side, but also what he does on the defense. Seeing his progression and becoming a leader. He's definitely rewarded because everything he's done, you know, he deserves it, and I'm just excited to try. Like I said, whether it's helping him or just help the team in the possible way. I'm just excited to be here.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'll say this about I think from when I was here watching him just be throwing in the fire to lead a team as such a young age, I think he did such an incredible job of listening and observing and he progressed. He did, he got so much better throughout the years and it's been so much.
Speaker 1: It's been so.
Speaker 4: Enjoyable for me to watch him afar and now be back to seeing what he's done now to be a part of an outs it's incredible.
Speaker 3: Bodyguard Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson, thank you guys so much.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Everybody's bodyguard man, not just him, but mainly mainly him,