Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to The Daily Show Ears edition. This is Daisy Lighteck. You might have seen that The Daily Show won in Emmy last week and John Stewart had a very special shout out. But if you really want to know the heart and soul of the team, if you really want to know the Keeper of the Flame of the Daily Show, Ms Jen Flans is our executive for also and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Miss Jen Flans has been there since nineteen ninety eight, and just say, just say to the people, well.
Speaker 1: I love our show, and I love the people we work with, and I love working at TV somethings. I love John.
Speaker 2: So here with me today is the Keeper of the Flame, Captain of the Ship. It's showrunner and writer Jen Flans. Welcome.
Speaker 3: The Keeper of the Flame makes me feel like I'm in the Olympics and I'm running with a torch, which is hilarious because I don't run no, and I'm afraid of fire.
Speaker 1: But like whatever, I love it.
Speaker 2: But it is basically the Olympics and your job.
Speaker 1: I was like, you're for the I couldn't hear anything on stage, so like I didn't know he said that till later. I mean, I knew he was saying something nice, but I didn't follow the words. And then when I saw Keeper of the Flame, I was like, wow, that makes me sound so much more athletic in my mind than I am.
Speaker 2: You were the Gabby Thomas of Late Nights running. You are just running. It was such a beautiful, well deserved shout out. And I think anyone who knows The Daily Show even remotely knows that you are the Keeper of the Flame, that you are the glue that holds everything together. You are the Olympian. What were you what were you thinking in that moment?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for saying that. I h I love talking and I don't love speaking publicly, so I was like, oh no, John, I told like m mmmm no. But I was also very very very flattered, and I was just so happy. We want I mean, you know, like this iteration of the Daily Show and the fact that you, let's let's please acknowledge that you also want an Emmy and also got a shout out because the four I mean, John has won before, but you costa Klepper and Nanni it was your first one, and it was just like so awesome to see and to be there for it, and I really feel more than ever like this iteration of the show is just like such a good version of what we've done and a real like build on where the show's gone for over the last few years. But I was thinking, oh my god, I hate talking him public.
Speaker 2: Did you know that he was going to toss it to you?
Speaker 1: You know? He he he said like, I'm gonna say something, and I said, and you could say my name, I'll wave And he said, okay, So that's what I expect. Like I was, you know, on the way up He's like, okay. I was like, oh my god. And then I was going to wave and then he's like, no, no, no, you get up here.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad he did.
Speaker 1: It's you know what, John, And this is I literally coming to this realization right now. John has pushed me out of my comfort zone so many times to do things that I didn't know that I could do, that he believed that I should and could do. And that was just another example of it. But you know, he really has like been such a mentor to me and encouraged me and always treated me just like he knows that I can do things, and he just gives him and I'm the kind of person that's never going to say no. If you want me to do it, I'm gonna I will do it. Yeah, but there's definitely been a million times over the years, and that was one of them where I'm like, I don't know if I can do this. But sometimes I'm just like, well, if he thinks if he thinks I can do it, I can probably do it.
Speaker 2: I want to ask more about that, but I have to acknowledge in this moment. Yeah, speaking personally, Yes, you have taken on that quality as a leader and spread that to other people, because there are a thousand times when I have been here at the show and gone, I can't do that. I've never done that before. I don't know if I can do that, and you so confidently are like, you can do that, Go right out there and go do it. We're going to do this, And I'm like, well, Jenland says I can, so I guess that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: It does I will tell you that because I, first of all, I think you can do anything, but you can do no wrong.
Speaker 2: I can't run. I also can't run.
Speaker 1: Well we have that in common either, use but I feel like I know I've done that with you where I'm like, no, you can because I think and I hate to make it like a woman thing, but it's like sometimes women doubt themselves more than men. Men just go and do it. And I have been like, I'm going to make sure that you know that you can do it because you can. And and that goes with hostang or you know, going out into the field doing a big interview, whatever it is like. And also I'll always be honest with you. Is there something I think you can't do, like you know, I don't know, bench press two hundred pounds, Like I'm going.
Speaker 2: To tell you, no, I can do it. I can do it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be yeah, totally. Do you know what. I didn't expect that about you. Now that I know, I'll only encourage you.
Speaker 2: You do that for everyone here at the show, though, And I think that that's a quality, one of the many qualities that I admire about you. But you have a way of empowering everyone around you, everyone here at the show, and helping them build confidence, giving them the trust that they can do their job, while also gently guiding them towards a vision. Was that something that you picked up along the way or was that something that you feel It's just innate in you.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm a big sister. I'm the oldest stuff for my parents trusted me to guide and really watch and parent my siblings. So being a big sister is like kind of I'm always this is the role I was meant to play, right, Like, I'm just I'm a big sister in life. I'm a big sister daily show, and I really hesitate to be like I'm a mom. I'm not a mom. I will can't take care of you completely, but I can encourage you and cheer you on. And I think that I love being a manager and I love managing a process, and I love managing people and making them like I feel like when people are the best version of themselves, we make the best version of the show. And I really have always thought like I am not good at much, but I am good. I think I'm good at seeing talent in other people and putting the right players in the right positions, and like coaching and like being a team coach. And that's essentially what it is, right, That's that's what the job that I ended up with is. And I love that. I think we have so many talented people here, and it's just a matter of like putting them all in the right positions that we like win the World series.
Speaker 2: You are good at a lot. You say you're not good at much. You are good at a lot of things you have to be to be in your position. So, like John mentioned, you started at the show in nineteen ninety eight as a PA. True story when you first of all, like talk about the differences in this show. I'm sure it's immense, but just even like the production wise the analog version of The Daily Show versus.
Speaker 1: I mean I my first day I started as a PA, I got a pager. We didn't have cell phones really, I mean I had my own that like was on my family plan. My parents had one in like, you can only use this in an emergency, like if you get in a car accident or your car breaks down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that one four three, I love you. Do you remember that I had a pager in ninety eighty two.
Speaker 1: Oh the pagers were like boobs, Like everybody wrote boobs. But yeah, so when I started here, it makes me sound like a dinosaur, but I we got a pager, and my pager literally never went off. The whole time I had it, but I had for like whatever, like two years.
Speaker 2: You still have the pager.
Speaker 1: I wish now we had to give them back to like next Tell or something whatever, like company we were renting free cut. It was a deep cut. Next tiles were like a huge thing during for the Daily Show, during like one of the conventions. I want say, I want to say it was two thousand was our first experience with them, but like we were walking talking each other all over the place, and that was kind of the first way you could text. It was or that The Daily Show could text. But anyway, Yeah, So the the immense difference between the technology then and now is also why I encourage people who are good at their drops to do them, because I'm very I'm not sure I could learn all the technology now. But we yeah, we used to like it would be on tape, so like the Field shoots would go out, they'd come back and they'd have a tape tapes. You'd have like, oh my god, this Field producer shot nine tapes? Are they psychotic? Like oh, I remember Stu Baile used to come back with only like three or four and we'd be like, we love him. He's the best field producer because we don't have to log so many tapes. Oh, oh my god god.
Speaker 2: And did they also shoot with one camera so they would do one side first and then shoot the other.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you needed a two camera shoot, it was like very expensive and they really had to consider who the interview was with. Wow. But yeah, it was so different. I mean even like when I was a PA. Wait, there were four of us, and each one of us had a late night, so like I don't remember, maybe mom was Wednesdays, and you would take the actual tape of the show, like we'd record it to tape. You'd have to wait here until the edit was done, take the edited master down to HBO down to and was like on twenty third Street and we were on fifty seven and just like in a cab and you were delivering the master and it's the only way the show got out at night. So like there was this immense pressure. The technology was not up to speed where you're just like I hope this, like God forbid, I get like kidnapped in this cab right now, like I have the show or like.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it. That is such a producer. You were destined to be an EP because you're you thought that way. You're like, you're not, You're not like, oh no, my, what would my parents think if I got kidnapped? Or like, what would happen to the show?
Speaker 1: That is? This show would not air that night. So it was like there used to be a guy that you drop it off to, just a one person and he'd like sometimes go out for a cigarette, and if you dropped, you'd leave it on his chair, and you're like, I hope nobody moves this before he comes back from his cigarette. This is the show. So yeah, So the technology was is it's really the updates? Uh, And listen, we used to like we have email. I remember using my own hotmail account when I started. We had the day this office that we figured out we could do AOL instant messenger to each other's computers. I mean, forget it.
Speaker 2: We were new World, New World, New World is your oyster?
Speaker 1: I can't couldn't even slack wasn't even a figment of my imagine.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we've come so far, come so far. Uh, walk me through the process of your of your job titles throughout the years, Like I remember you so that you started out doing those types of jobs. I remember you telling me that you One of my favorite bits on the Daily Show was Beth Littleford coming in with the Batholeene lens interviews hiding behind that the big flower interview.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were they were amazing.
Speaker 2: And you you used to set the flowers.
Speaker 1: I bought and set the flowers. I actually made a deal with a deli down the street, a corner deli that had like only New York bodega's tons of flowers, and the guy, you know, we had like a friendship. I would go in every few weeks, get a ton of flowers for best interviews and set them up. Yeah, so that was one of my I mean, I like, I've done a lot of jobs here, So that was my as a PA I did that. But then like that kind of translated to when I was a coordinator. Then I really was like managing all the pia's runs to get the props and other things like talk about technology. We used to we used to rent movies at the video store. And so I made friends with this guy Alan, who used to own Alan's Alley and it was a video store down on actually like twenty second Street.
Speaker 2: And it was Alan's. Allie sounds like an adult video it.
Speaker 1: Does, and I think it did have a back room. But Alan was basically like he was the best guy. He was so nice on the phone all the time. He loves it's closed. Now obviously nobody's friending the videos, but like he used to screen videos. I'll be like, oh, do you have any can you think of a movie where there's an avalanche and somebody falls off a cliff, but like maybe they don't die and they pop back up, and it'd be like, we need it for the show. And he would know off the top of his head, like three movies and then screen them for me before I sent a pa down to go pick up the tape to bring it back to the show. So he was like kind of an an employee.
Speaker 2: Alan was the original Google. He was the original Poor Alan was replaced by Google.
Speaker 1: Poor Allen. And then I mean when the store was closing, a Lisa and I went down and we said goodbye it. Now, I don't know, but I wish I knew. He was so nice.
Speaker 2: If only we had an Alan to search up what Alan is doing? You know what, I'm going to google it us with Alan. If you're out there, give us a call, let us know what you're at call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we had, I mean there were other video stories we also called, but we always called Alan's first because he was so nice and cooperative.
Speaker 2: And then and then you went into so pa, it's a production coordinator.
Speaker 1: Actually I was assistant production coordinator. That I was a production coordinator. Then I was a production manager. Then I was a coordinating producer, which was kind of when I straddled from like being more in the production track to more creative. And it really was a product of me being like, hey, I can't do budgets. I'm really bad with money. I don't think that that's the track I should be on. But I do love managing and I love managing a process. And there's actually nobody here who really is translating the creative the scripts and everything to production and to making sure that it gets done. Like there's a wide gap between like oh, people should read the script and like just interpret, you know, like who's talking right? And and it's kind of like a trend of my career here has been like just finding gaps and being like this is something that seems like somebody should do it. I'd love to do it.
Speaker 2: Defining your own role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was like, yeah, something that, Like I made up the title coordinating producer from like looking at IMDb and other shows, I'm like, hey, we don't have that title here. What if I had that? And anyway, saith the quartering producer. Then I was a super Then I was a COE P and then an EP and then EP showrunner writer.
Speaker 2: What a great lesson for people to learn, Like, if you don't see a place for you within your workplace, see your own tickets, see.
Speaker 1: A place that something, they might need somebody to get side the box. I was a little wild Westie back in the day. You know, it was a half the size staff that we have now, so there was more room for that. But yeah, I think. I mean, people are always like, oh, did you always want to be a showrunner? I'm like no, And I feel like I give the worst career advice because I'm like, no, don't dream big, just just keep doing your job really well and then and then the next thing will come. And so it's kind of been my I mean, listen, I love what I'm doing and I am so glad to be the showrunner here. But I was never like a PA and thought oh I could be that, Like I could be Madeline, the woman who used to run the show. I was like, I wanted to be a really really good yeah, and then I got a promotion and then it was like, okay, I want to be a really really good sister production coordinator. And then things just kept coming. So I don't know if.
Speaker 2: That did you. Was there a moment in time that you thought, I do want to be the showrunner?
Speaker 1: So I was doing it?
Speaker 2: Was it when John asked you to be the showrunner?
Speaker 1: Like it was? You know? It was. I think it's a confidence thing, you know, And I think that I I wish that I was as confident as like, yes, I should be in charge here. But I was like, oh, I like doing this. I'm good at doing this, I'm good with people, I'm good at translating and the funny to the you know, actual physical how it's going to manifest in the studio. And I think that I love that he saw that in me and that that could keep you know, my career, you know, growing and to a place where it is now. And then obviously, like Trevor also had a big hand in it. When he got here, he was like I was, you know, already one of one of the EPs, and then he was like, you know, basically like I trust you. What do you think you know about how to run this place? And and so that gave me even more confident. It was it was also a lot because I was here with John. I was mentored under John. I knew how to make the Daily Show, and when Trevor got here, he was new. And then all of a sudden, I'm the like elder elder expert that knows how to run the place. And I was like, oh wow, somebody has to do this, so it's got to be I got to do it. I know I've been here, I know how to do it. And so Trevor putting that trust in me also just like kept it going. And then John coming back and being like, I can't even you know, we've evolved the show so much since he left and expanded social podcasts, you know, activation spaces are the way we run the news team, you guys at desk. In addition to him, we did guest hosts. Like He's like, I cannot believe you know what you've done here, which is was really really a great feeling for him to just be like in fress, I'm like, it's like when your parents come to see you at work or something, and you're just like, oh, I want to show you everything I can do. I know I talk about it. I know I've talked to you about it, but like, look and John Stewart and he taught me everything. So yeah, it's it was. It was I think our first live show with him back here. He after the show said to me, he's like, what you guys do this is like what we did like on crack, Like this is just beyond what we used to do. And it is, I hate to say it's it's a lot because of the technology, we do a lot more. But I think our team is just so tight. We have a shorthand we kind of thrive on that like deadline deadline thing. And and he was just like, wow, you guys, you really elevated, like you raised the game here.
Speaker 2: How did that feel?
Speaker 1: It felt so good. It felt so good to be like I didn't only keep this place like your legacy intact, but but you think I elevated it and that is so it meant so it just like working together again has meant so much in that one. He's just fun, you know, he's a great guy. It's really fun. Tog out with him. He's he's just like.
Speaker 2: Truly the best everything you want him to be and so much more.
Speaker 1: And it's so funny when people are let's see, I'm like, he's just like exactly what you what you think? Yeah, he's exactly what you think. He's like, he's awesome, and yes, he's a really good hang. But but in addition to that, it's just it's been so nice to show him what we can do here, you know, and how much like it doesn't when he was here round one, he was you know, by the end of it, he was in charge. He screened every piece, he signed off on, every pitch he signed like. He wasn't managing people like I want to raise I'm like, dude, like how I think back and I'm like, the amount of work that was on is no wonder he burnt, you know, was like, hey, I got to step back. This is a lot of work. And to be able to take some of that off his plate for him only because he stepped away came back and it was already parsed out to other people, why take it back on has been really nice to just like let him focus on the thing that he's amazing at which is it is actually good at all of it, which is the crazy part, Like it's crazy, he's he's really just good at everything. Yeah, but it's been nice to be like, I know you can do all the other stuff, but like, why don't you just focus on what you want to say and the point of view of the show and helping us all focus on, you know, what kind of content we're going to do and not worry about like it if are recycling, you know, if we're doing paper and plastic or just plastic. You know, Like he's involved in everything, every discussion he would be involved in. So it's been really nice to be able to take a little of that pressure off his plate and just be like, just have like fun, like what you want to say.
Speaker 2: So great for him to walk back into this and just know he's in the absolute best hands. The show is in the best hands. We're going to take a quick break, but we'll be right back. We're back with Jen Flans. You've seen so many evolutions of the show from nineteen ninety eight with Craig Kilbourne and then John coming in and basically defining modern political satire, and then Trevor coming in and evolving it to his version of the show with you and then the guest host Era and now John being back, and they're being sort of this ensemble version are the what's your north star or your main tenants of keeping the DNA of the Daily Show through each evolution.
Speaker 1: Truly, Uh, you know, a lot of it's John's like, let's like have a good time, Like I really am live by Like if we're making something good here, it will translate, right, Like, if we're making something we feel good about, we believe in makes us laugh, then it will translate to the audience and never really getting caught up in like the ratings or the press or listen, I love I love to get press. When it's good press, you get caught up in it. But the like social mentions like things that like you kind of have to tune it all out and make the thing that you believe is the show that we should be putting out in the world. And it was always like listen, if we put out something and we get canceled, then then that's what we went down, feeling good about it, you know, giving it our best instead of just like chasing ratings or something like that. So that was always and listen to Comedy Central execs, like, you know, I remember Doug Michelle Kent like and even still now with Christina, like we aren't held to a rating, you know, listen, ratings are important, but it just doesn't guide anything. And I think that it translates on screen when you're having fun in the building and I like love to like throw a party, have everybody that like everybody together having a good time. And I think that like party Planner and me just also like brings that vibe to the show, which is like, let's just make sure we're having fun because if not, I think on screen it looks like pained. Yes, we feel that, yeah, And I feel like, listen, we've we've had weeks or shows where you feel it like people are tired, and I think it translates on screen.
Speaker 2: You really are so good about that because I feel like you're always optimistic, you always rally the troops. You make sure that we are having a great time. Doesn't matter what's going on with snacks all around. But it's snacks all around. It's important egg sandwich Wednesdays.
Speaker 1: Obviously, I'm like it really It's also like it's not just me, like the team here we've been together for so long, people are friends. You know. It's like cozy environment. We have this studio. We're far from everything in the world. We're like out on way over almost in the Hudson River and the horse stables and nothing else, is it. We're kind of like isolated and insular. Yeah, and I think that works in our favor.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm curious about was there ever a time you talked about John being so instrumental as a leader and kind of pushing you out of your comfort zone and him saying that he believes in you even if you weren't quite ready yourself. Was there ever a moment when you started to doubt yourself and how did you persevere.
Speaker 1: I think I doubt myself at almost every moment. No, Like, I'm like, uh all the time I think that I in my head with John or Trevor or the corresponds like, I'm like, I don't want to let anyone down, so I just just make it happen, you know, whatever it is, and that is, you know, I wish it came more from a place of like confidence, but it's it comes from a place of like I don't want to disappoint people. And then and then I do it, and then I'm like, oh cool, I could do that. Now I have the confidence next time to do it, you know. And you'd think you'd remember that the next time you're in that situation and you do.
Speaker 2: Doubt yourself to do it all over again.
Speaker 1: But I have a fake it till you make it attitude. Yeah, it's just fake it, like put on a smile, go out there, get it done. You will, You'll get it done. And what's the worst thing that can happen if you don't. Yeah, you leave the tape in the cab and the show never airs, you know, and that will never watch. Yeah, exactly, that is.
Speaker 2: I think that's actually an incredibly confident way of looking at it, to make it about the team, Like I'm here for the show and I want to do what's best for the show and with my team, and I don't want to let people down. So that's a very confident thing to do. I think the insecure thing to do is to make it about yourself and think about you know, you're always so nice to Yeah, well, well let me tell you. Listen, I appreciate that. I want you to know just because you're my boss. I'm not here for softball questions. Okay, I'm going to ask you the hard hitting.
Speaker 1: Question, the hard questions. All right, I know you care?
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: I have confidence in you.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite color?
Speaker 1: Wow or aqua? It's that I never know what to call it, but I love it.
Speaker 2: Follow up question, which one?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Turquoise?
Speaker 1: I think I think turquoise because it's like the color of the water when you go to the crib like that color is my favorite.
Speaker 2: It makes you think of vacation.
Speaker 1: It automatically puts me in the best mood. It's just like calming. Yeah it's okay. Favorite food, favorite food. That's hard. That's a hard hitting one. Yeah, I really can't. I mean, franchise are undeniable. I answer, if you put them in front of me, I will eat them. But ice cream it depends sweetmanship. I love briar'smanship. The white, Yes, white is like the best men That one is my favorite menship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do want to ask. Okay, So I get this question all the time, and part of me really hates it, but I have to bring it up. Like being a woman in comedy, being a woman in late night, is it something that you think about because there's there's something there's part of me that's like, I don't want to I don't fucking think about it. I'm just totally comedy. Stop asking the question. I would love to not have to talk about it being a rarity that women are in late night Yeah, at the same time, it is true that sometimes you're the only woman in the room or one of few women in the room. Is it something that you pay much attention to?
Speaker 1: You know what? I didn't until it was like the conversation. So like, for like the first fifteen years I worked in TV, I didn't even think I didn't even think about it, right, And like there were women at the Daily Show, so I never it didn't occur to me. I guess you know, I knew there weren't late night shows hosted by women, but I also like grew up like loving lettermen and loving Conan, and so I wasn't like, oh damn, I wish it was a woman, right, I was just like, I love this show. Yeah, So I didn't really think about it, and it kind of I feel bad that I didn't think about it, Like I'm like, oh, should I have been more? I think that you don't you don't like a plan on being a like a trailblazer, right, Like you just like look back and you're like, oh, that was I have blazed a trail. But like, like I didn't think about making sure more women are in the room because it was always like, let's just get the best person for this job, and many times it was women and oftentimes it was men. And I now think about it in a way of like trying to keep some balance because it helps in the room for perspective, Like you and I know, like there are jokes that like when we're in a room together with like Sarve, like we'll laugh at yeah, and maybe the guys aren't laughing yeah, and you're like, well, fifty one percent of our audience will laugh.
Speaker 2: That's okay, they are.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like half the world as women. So but there are certain things that like make us laugh and don't make men laugh because the references aren't resonating with you or whatever. So I think, just for the sake of like rounding out a show and making sure that you're reaching all parts of the audience, it is a really important thing to have all genders in the room.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But I will say, like I I don't think about like are they talking to me that way? Because I'm a woman, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I try to not at the forefront.
Speaker 1: I try not to make it that because I feel like sometimes it puts you in a place where you're looking for the room to be against you, if it's like too heavily weighted men, like I feel like when you are like I am the only woman in this room, you're automatically a little bit like alone and on the defensive. Whereas like if I look at it, like I'm sitting in a room with people I like, love working with them, make me laugh every day. Mm hmm. These are my friends, these are my coworkers, and I love them. And they happen to be men.
Speaker 2: They also happen to be evolved men. And if there's something that they don't get, they're.
Speaker 1: Not like grabbing my butt, like they're just like there are men lucky for you. I mean, all right, no, but you know, it's like they are very evolved men.
Speaker 2: They are, and they'll ask if there's a joke that they don't get, they'll say, why is that funny? Or why you know?
Speaker 1: And there's a then you yeah, and I think having I think coming at the room or any room you're in, all of our all of our meetings from a place of like this is a this is a community, This is a welcome, warm room to be in and not like I'm alone or I'm one of two, or I'm one of you know, like counting up the numbers. It just I don't think that's productive for a creative environment. I think I think at like a level of hiring, you should be aware so that those rooms are mixed and diverse at some point when you're in them. But once you get in those rooms, I think it's not the right thing to focus on to Like, I mean, we make a show fortnights a week. We have a really quick turn around. Like to sit there and like be on the defensive is just feels like it would take away from you know, what you could possibly put out that night, right, I totally agree.
Speaker 2: What would you say to someone who wants to you have your job one day? Someone who wants to work in TV, particularly other women coming up and look at you and go like, god, I want to do what she does. What advice would.
Speaker 1: You give I would advise to? I mean, I think work really hard, work hard at the job, that you have learn as much as you can. I think one of the reasons I'm good at what I do, And as I say it, I'm like, oh my god, that sounds so self centered, but like, no, the one of the reasons I'm good at what I do is because I've done so many different jobs here and I know whatever it makes you like know what everyone does and appreciate what everyone does and how hard people work, and even if it's a job you haven't done, it's like you know what their role is. And I think working your way up, I think you know, it's a generally rational thing now. And I hate to be like I'm old, but like I know that there's a thing where like people are PA's and they're like, I want and I now want to be a showrunner now, and you're like, oh, but if you like take the time to like work your way up and like learn everything, you're going to be such a better showrunner. Great advice and and just like be honest with people. And I don't think you have to be sugary, sweet. I don't think you have to be you know, nice, good mood all the time. I think it's good to be respectful of the people you work with. I think it's important to go home at night be able to look yourself in the mirror and say, like, I'm a good person. I feel good about the person I was today, and I think that makes you, you know, a good leader. And uh yeah, that's my advice. I think, work hard and be nice to be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh great advice.
Speaker 1: Work hard, tell people the jobs are bad when they're bad. I mean, that is really part of it.
Speaker 2: I know I can always count on you for that.
Speaker 1: Like, guys, I'm not I'm not laughing that joke tanked. We're cutting it, like, I love that part at my job.
Speaker 2: Are you the one to do that so we don't do that in front of everyone else? Jen Flans, thank you for being the keeper of the flame. I am her grateful to you for a million reasons. I'm not gonna cry right now.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I really thanks. It's hard. I hate talking about myself, but talking about myself, I.
Speaker 2: Love talking about you. Okay, absolutely true.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me on the podcast.
Speaker 2: You got it anytime. Thank you for listening to the Daily Show Ears edition. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show Podcast Universe by searching The.
Speaker 2: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten.
Speaker 1: Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus Paramount Podcasts