Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is Bloomberg Intelligence with Alex Steinhl and Paul'sweeny.
Speaker 2: The real app performance has been the US corporate high yield.
Speaker 3: Are the companies lean enough? Have they trimmed all the fats?
Speaker 2: The semiconductor business is a really cyclical business.
Speaker 1: Breaking market headlines and corporate news from across the globe.
Speaker 3: Do investors like the M and A that we've seen?
Speaker 2: These are two big time blue chip companies.
Speaker 4: The window between the peak and cut changing super fast.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg Intelligence with Alex Steinel and Paul's Wheenye on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Today's Bloomberg Intelligence Show, we dig inside the big business stories impacting Wall Street and the global markets.
Speaker 4: Each and every week, we provide research and data on some of the two thousand companies in one hundred and thirty industries our analysts cover worldwide.
Speaker 2: Today, we'll look at why Tesla Stiff are said to be bracing for potential job.
Speaker 4: Cuts, discuss why warre in the Middle East is hurting McDonald's sales.
Speaker 2: For first, we dive into Walt Disney. Earlier in the week, the company reported better than expected earnings for its fiscal first quarter and issued an upbeat profit outlook for the year.
Speaker 4: For more on all of this, we were joined by Githerang, Na than Bloomberg intelligence analyst on US media, and we asked her why there is reason for optimism at the company.
Speaker 6: Disney is definitely back back with the bank. One of the big pain points with Disney has really been the lack of streaming profitability. But now there seems to be a clear path to the streaming business kind of getting to that profitability metric. So we saw the losses come in way below expectations. It was sixty five percent below what people were projecting. They're still kind of guiding to, you know, hitting profitability by the September quarter, but most people, I think on the street expected to happen much much sooner. And then Hugh Johnston, who was the new CFO and this was his first call with Disney, basically said that look to or expect double digit operating margins in the streaming business. And I think that was something that was really really powerful because we know that, you know, the number that we're all chasing is that twenty percent operating margin where you know, Netflix has been I think the one area that we kind of still need clarity is how all of this the streaming bundles are going to work. So it's really good to see them kind of be proactive and go out with their own solution. So they have that sports super app that's coming out a little bit later this year in conjunction with Fox and Warner Brothers. They have their own ESPN Plus standalone app. Again a little bit of you know, we're not really sure whether those are necessarily going to cannibalize each other. I don't think so. I think really Disney what they're trying to do here is kind of create this this super bundle because they know that, you know, content bundling works and everybody's kind of looking aggregation is the holy grail, and I think Disney wants to be at the forefront of it. But definitely we need a little bit more kind of clarity at least around like what the financial value creation is going to be.
Speaker 2: How about the theme park business that seems to continue to be a really solid business for them, and I know they you know, they announce several months ago that they're really stepping up their investment in their theme parks and their cruises and all that kind of stuff. How did that business do very very well.
Speaker 6: So again, operating income was for the quarter was well above three billion dollars. That was again above what the street was expecting. And really what we're seeing is a lot of momentum at the International parks. So they opened, you know, they've opened so many new attractions in their overseas properties. You have a new Frozen Land in Hong Kong, you have the new Zootopia attraction in in Shanghai, and both of those are doing really really well for the company, and that has really enabled them to take, you know, implement all of these price increases. So International parks really kind of doing extremely well. Domestically. There's a little bit of pressure from wage inflation, there's a little bit of pressure from you know, tough comms from like the Walt Disney World fifty that anniversary celebration, But again, just transient parks are really set up very very well. And you mentioned the sixty billion dollar investment. Now seventy percent of that capex is going to be towards new attractions, So this is really going to be a major major profit driver for them going forward.
Speaker 4: Gito, there was a journal article that I just felt like helped someone like me who's not seeped in Disney, Like you guys understand how they're just seeping in to all the Americana.
Speaker 3: That's out there. They said, Taylor, Swift, football and Fortnite.
Speaker 4: But like anywhere that you will want to be or listen to or watch, Disney will be there. What did you make of the Fortnite investment?
Speaker 6: Super smart move by them, right, It's so strategic, it's so smart, and it's still a kind of not a huge investment. One point five billion gives them some steak, gives them some skin in the game, and there's a lot of upside, not too much downside. So I think a really good way for them. And remember, Alex, they've had this kind of really checkered past when it comes to video games. It's not that they haven't been there. They were in the publishing business. Didn't really work out for them. They exited that business in twenty sixteen started licensing out a lot of their content. But you know, licensing, you're still kind of this passive participant. They really need to be there. They need to be an active participant in the video gaming industry. There's so much overlap between all of the audiences that go to the you know, the Disney parks and the people who are gaming, right, it's all these youngsters and they really want to be there and this is a great way for them to do it.
Speaker 2: What are they saying about the theatrical business, You.
Speaker 6: Know, the content the studio has not really been the blockbuster that it was. We've had a whole string of misfires over the past few months. But I think what bar Baker was saying is they are in the process of rebuilding. The whole content pipeline is refilling. They're having this really smart move here with this new Taylor Swift movie coming out on March fifteenth, and then they spoke about, you know, having this new Moana movie. This was originally going to be a series on Disney, plus it's now going to be a theatrical, full blown theatrical release. And again, we're prepping for twenty twenty six, really, which is going to be the biggest year for the box office ever since the pandemic, and a lot of that will be Disney kind of driving the slate right with. You have the whole Star Wars coming back with Mandalorian and Grogu. You have a whole set of Marvel releases, so it's going to be really interesting as we kind of build that. So again, nothing really major in twenty twenty four, maybe other than you know, kind of the Deadpool movie, but we're kind of building to what's a much stronger slate I'm in twenty five twenty.
Speaker 4: Nothing big coming except for the Deadpool. Excuse me, I've been waiting for this movie for years. Deadpool three.
Speaker 2: You're a big fan of the franchise.
Speaker 4: Definitely not my audience that I'm talking to right now. This is the third one having Wolverine make a little cameo.
Speaker 3: Whatever. Anyway, it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 5: Paul.
Speaker 4: What do you make of like how fast Disney was able to move, Well, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people tell you they didn't move fast enough. But it's I think when i Biger came in, I mean, yeah, yeah, and it's but the stock's been kind of dead money for a while and Githa well knows here. It's just a question of when can we get a sense of when the streaming losses are going to be in the rear view mirror, and you know, bob Byger's surprises. You know, I guess a year or so ago when he said some of these assets might be for sale, like the ABC networks, some of the cable networks. Any update on that.
Speaker 6: Yes, we did have him kind of say everything's up for sale, and then he kind of walked back all of that. It's kind of starting to make sense because they're obviously taking all that content, they're putting it now on the super app, So it makes sense for them to still kind of hold on to their linear TV assets because they still do have very valuable sports rights on there. So I think they're kind of aiming for this bigger, kind of grander strategy. I don't necessarily think that they're looking to sell any of their linear TV networks right now.
Speaker 2: Our thanks to KEITHA. Rong Andathan Bloomberg, intelligence analysts on US Media.
Speaker 4: We turn now to the financial services sector. This week, UBS reported a fourth quarter net law, citing higher expenses. The bank also announced it will buy back up to one billion dollars in shares this year, and this comes as UBS seeks to keep investors focused on the upside of its complex integration of credits.
Speaker 2: Weeeze for more on this. We were joined by Alison Williams Bloomberg Intelligence senior analysts Global banks and asset Managers. I asked her what her key takeaways were from this week's earnings.
Speaker 7: Investor's got as much as they could. They may have wanted a bit more. The one negative thing for the outlook is that twenty twenty four estimates are likely going to come down a little bit because you know, the returns are going to be lower. But that's because I think UBS is trying to be aggressive in you know, pulling forward those costs. So they did upsize the costs on a growth basis, but they're going to invest those so not falling to the bottom line, so perhaps some disappointment there. They did reiterate their sort of three year target. They gave a longer term target that was in line with the high end before credits we so I think those were all positive. The buybacks also a little bit better than expected. The big positive news was twenty seven percent increase in dividend. Also fourth quarter, you know, not so much great things going on there, so that the miss was on costs. Their adjusted costs fell, Their integration costs or the restructing costs were much bigger than expected. The wealth flows moderated a little bit, and the investment buying lost money.
Speaker 2: Allison, what is the new UBS here post Credit Swiss and full disclosure on a client of UBS used to work at Credit Swiss. So I'm all over the Swiss stuff here. But what's where does UBS want to be now that they've acquired Credits Swiss? What are their ambitions visa a global financial institution?
Speaker 7: So I don't think that the big picture strategy has changed much for them, right, So they their focuses on wealth, you know, they're the premier global wealth manager. They added some assets, they added some relationships with Credit Suite in the investment bank. Again, they're still focused on equities. So even though profit disappointed, revenue came in about in line. So that's that's a positive thing. On the equities trading side of things. They did add, you know, some incremental ads. There were some numbers around the traders. The Bloomberg News reported, We obviously look at the top line of revenue. They kept the M and A and the research areas were the areas that they added to and those areas did pretty well.
Speaker 8: On the corner.
Speaker 4: So what else do you need to hear to get more confidence in all of this mean just like a kind of holding wait for two more years.
Speaker 7: Basically, I think it is like a show me right, So I think it's going to be a step by step So Armandi, as you know, said that you know, they might sacrifice a little bit of revenue because they are focused on profitability. They're focused on doing things right. So again like those are the types of things that you have to have confidence. He has done a big turnaround at UBS before. But I think that it is the kind of thing where it's like quartered by quarter. Investors have to start to see, you know, some support for these estimates. Another target they put out was one hundred billion per year for the next two years in net new wealth asset. So I think that's a pretty good target. But again we saw some slowing in the fourth quarter. Some of that was mandates leaving with credit sweee, relationship managers still pretty stable. But I think investors will want to see you know more so you know, over the next few quarters, UBS delivering on its plans.
Speaker 2: So Elison, just, I mean you cover everything the all the global big investment banks, commercial banks. Here is the global bank is that just left to the Morgan Stanley's the Goldman Sachs is or what it doesn't seem like anybody in Asia, anybody in Europe can compete against the JP Morgans of the world.
Speaker 7: So Paul, it's I mean, it's really been over the last decade, you know, ever since you left the business, but it was it was last decade, you know, the US bank just follow you know, really making those market share games. Credit SUITEE was is sort of the latest to provide some games to those US players, if you will keep in mind that that sale from UBS follows them exiting prime brokerage. Before Credit Suite, we had Deutsche Bank, who also accident in prime brokerage. They shed parts of their fixed income business. If we went back to several years prior, there was a lot of the European players getting out of fix and you know, keep in mind, it is a scale business and I think where banks like JP, if you Morgan have been winning at In fact, Goldman Sachs has gained the most market share over the last several years. Or that they are investing in technology that helps them get better revenue, that helps them have more money to invest. And so it's really that virtuous cycle that some of those big US banks have been enjoying.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Alison Williams, Bloomberg Intelligence, senior analysts for global banks.
Speaker 4: Coming up, we're going to break down earnings from Caterpillar, one of the world's largest manufacturers of heavy machinery.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Intelligence on Bloomberg Radio, providing up research and data on two thousand companies one hundred and thirty industries. You can access Bloomberg Intelligence via b I go on the terminal, I'll Paul Sweet.
Speaker 3: And am Alex Steel and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on fo Cardplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Let's turn out a Tesla.
Speaker 4: So Tesla staff are said to be racing for potential job cuts, and we're told managers were asked whether each of their employees' positions is critical.
Speaker 2: We would join this week by Steve Man Bloomberg Intelligence, Global Autos and Industry Research Channels. You're first asked for his take on the potential job cuts.
Speaker 5: Job cuts are never good for the employees. But I think the investors will probably look at it positively because the stock's been down like twelve percent since their last earnings call, in thirty percent year to day, and that's all because you know, slowing EV sales, price cuts. So the company needs to do something to address them of the short term challenges they're facing.
Speaker 2: So when I see news like this, it really makes me think, Steve, that maybe they see something fundamental in their business such that they have to look at a big fixed cost like people. What's the company saying these days about where they see.
Speaker 5: Well, Man, well, that's a good question. I think you got two questions there. First of all, fundamentally, you know, they've done a lot of price cutting, you know, in their operations, in the administrative side of things, in their manufacturing. They plucked out all the low hanging fruits. There's not much to cut anymore other than looking at their human resources, and that's what they're doing at this time.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 5: Obviously, you know you don't want to cut, but I think they have to. If you look at Forge Earning's call, the market is really brutal. They've the margins was down, like was at negative ninety eight percent for Ford's EV business that's worse than their third quarter. So from that you can see the whole entire EV market is still facing you know, price cuts, slower demand, and that's you know, I think that's what Testa is trying to dress for twenty twenty four he Steve.
Speaker 4: Do we have an idea of when the trough might happen for evs? When is it just going to take cheaper ones or is it going to be actually more hybrid and that trough be really pushed out.
Speaker 5: I think hybrid is a good kind of fill in between now and when EV's can take off. Our view is actually, you know, around twenty twenty six, because I think that's when prices, cost of manufacturing evs will come down with localization of battery production, more EV models out there, and everyone, every automaker right now is talking about the second generation of EV vehicles, the third generation of EV vehicles. They're actually designed on a very different platform than the ICE vehicles, the internal combustion engine vehicles that is supposed to streamline production, cut parts, cut the number of parts, and hopefully drive costs down to make it more affordable for the consumers.
Speaker 2: So it's a twenty six story. Will the charging infrastructure also be a twenty six story?
Speaker 5: Well, no, there are some spending at the moment to increase charging infrastructure. I mean, that's another bottleneck that the industry is facing. I think you know, out in the West coast, out in the East coast, charging infrastructure are not of a big concern, but Central America is. So that's where the focus is, I think in the next couple of years to really built up the charging infrastructure in that part of the country.
Speaker 2: How many charging units do you have at the Princeton campus at Bloomberg right now?
Speaker 9: Oh, it's it's interesting.
Speaker 5: If you go out to the parking lot here, you think it's a Tesla dealership out here, there's probably you know, fifty.
Speaker 4: Fifty the cars, Like, are the Teslas actually being plugged in or ev.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah. You'll see mostly Tesla.
Speaker 5: You'll see a couple of Volkswagen, a couple of Volvols.
Speaker 9: But because I that's why.
Speaker 2: When I was at the Princeton campus, Steve, you know, I guess I haven't been there since before the pandemic. It's called it five years. Five years are gonna be ad two? Now you're telling me, we have fifty. That is a good barometer. I think Bloomberg is usually on the cutting edge of this stuff. But still interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I wonder like, did you get the idea that the charging was there, therefore you brought the EV's or it's just a clientele that has the EV's unfair question, But like, what do.
Speaker 5: You think that's a good question. It's all about the cost of ownership.
Speaker 9: You're right, Alex.
Speaker 5: Having the charging stations here make it convenient for people to charge and really cut their monthly costs. Right, there's no fuel costs anymore with the evs our.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Steve Man, Bloomberg Intelligence Global Auto Analyst.
Speaker 4: Now we look at Caterpillar, one of my faves, one of the world's largest manufacturers of.
Speaker 3: Heavy machinery, and then early in.
Speaker 4: The week the company reported higher fourth quarter sales and his energy and transportation business.
Speaker 2: For more, we spoke with Chris Chilino, Bloomberg Intelligence Senior US machinery analyst. We first asked Chris for his key tape ways from the earnings results.
Speaker 10: It was a real solid print despite the fact that we continued to see these really cautionary signs out there of slowing demand. Four key results you know, broadly exceeded not only our expectations, but I think Kat's internal expectations as well. Pricing continues to surprise to the upside. The margin performance was quite good, particularly in their energy and transportation business. Retail sales to end users continued to hold up reasonably well, orders came in better than we anticipated, and the cash generation of the business, you know, remains very strong. So there's a lot of positives to take away from the report, and I think this probably dispelled some of those, you know, concerns over a more pronounced or near term cyclical downturn, at least for the time being. As it appears, you know, twenty four is really shaping up to be a little bit maybe more resilient than we had anticipated going into the print. That being said, you know, we still think there remains risk and it's mostly to the downside moving forward here, and we're really kind of cautious on the sustainability of this performance, especially as the macro backdrop begins to soften.
Speaker 2: So what's the company saying about their outlook? And I guess my question A what's the company saying and B what's their lead time on they can how far out can they see in terms of their orders and things like that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so they're looking at twenty twenty four's kind of being more of a flatish type top line environment. Caterpillars notorious for not giving much on the guidance, but they're kind of suggesting that the top line will be relatively flatish. Volumes will be down next year, So this is going to be more of a pricing story, and particularly in the first half of the year, as we get some of those carryover pricing benefits. So I suspect margins will come under some pressure and we could see some modest contraction on the earnings line as well. In terms of the backlog and the visibility, it's above average. The backlog continues to be, you know, remarkably strong. You have rough twenty seven and a half billion dollars in the backlog. I think one of the surprises of this report to US was orders orders implied orders only came down about four percent, so we saw the decline and the order rate moderate. So I think that's another positive sign that, you know, we're not looking at this type of draconian type scenario for twenty twenty four So.
Speaker 3: Explain this one to me. What about the China factor?
Speaker 4: Because air products, their chemicals business in China did terribly and that's why the stock is down so much. I appreciate their different industries, but still CAT is very lover to China. Also, what did we learn about that?
Speaker 10: Nothing incremental?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 10: So, Caterpillar China. For Caterpillars, historically it's been kind of in that five to ten percent of revenues. Twenty twenty three. This past year we were below five percent. They're telling us that they don't anticipate much change in twenty twenty four. But if you, if you're a CAT bull, I think that's one of the catalysts that you could potentially look at, is that if for when we do get this China recovery, that would certainly bode well for Cat.
Speaker 2: Hey, Chris, I know investors in these types of stocks, these industrial stocks, they're used to cycles and they're probably saying, but God, we have to have a downcycle coming up here. But there's a lot of infrastructure work out there, stimulus coming out of the US government out of the pandemic. Isn't this going to make this cycle different? Like it's going to be longer up for these companies.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, we hear that this cycle is different almost all the time. Right, I'm a little bit more in the skeptic camp. Listen, North America was tremendous this past quarter. In this year, I think it was the only region with positive growth on the top line. We saw eleven percent growth here in North America. A lot of that is largely driven by non residential and infrastructure related spending. So it's certainly been a tailwind, and I do suspect that still has some longevity to it here over the next few years. But there's a number of cyclical factors to your point at play here, and historically this stock when the backlock starts to come down, when orders inflect, that's not an encouraging sign for future performance.
Speaker 3: But we also have.
Speaker 4: Lots of stuff like the IRA, we have the Semiconductor Bill, we have the Industrial Act, sort of reshoring all that stuff. We have learned from industrials that booking those getting benefits from those pieces of legislation takes a lot longer than the market was expecting, like just in the Chips Act. Maybe we're seeing some stuff happening, and even that's getting pushed out like we saw with Intel. What is Catapillar saying about that visibility?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I think longer term there is certainly an opportunity, particularly what they've kind of deemed this energy transition to alternative fuels or electrification, there is going to be demand for mind commodities, and they anticipate that this shift will increase their addressable market. So, no doubt, we do think there is a longer term opportunity here. We think it's probably still many years out before we start seeing you know, more tangible financial impact from some of these infrastructure bill is the is the more near term impact that we've seen and the results this far, So we think that's probably still a little bit longer down the road and you know, somewhat difficult to quantify at this juncture.
Speaker 2: So, Chris, you follow all these big industrial companies in addition to cat I mean, you know Oshkosh, come Ins, you know, Volvo pack Are What are those big companies that are so skewed and so exposed kind of the industrial side of the economy. What are they kind of telling you these days?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so if you think about all the machinery verticals, we were essentially at peak cycle in twenty twenty three. Almost all those markets we expect volumes to be down in twenty four, some holding up better than others. But I think one of the things that we continue to hear is that this downturn looks a little bit more modest and short lived than what we have seen historically. I might say the one caveat to that being on the ag side, as we continue to see crop prices and farmer incomes under pressure. But at least at this point, you know, we see on the commercial vehicle side being a little bit more modest, and even on construction equipment there's a number of offsets to the more traditional cyclical headwinds. So again not looking at this as some kind of a steep or severe downturn. It just seems to be much more modest than what we've become accustomed to.
Speaker 2: Our Thanks to Chris Ciolino, Bloomberg Intelligence, Senior US machinery analyst.
Speaker 4: All right, coming up on the program, we're going to discuss why warre in the Middle East is hurting McDonald sales.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Intelligence on Bloomberg Radio, providing in depth research and data on two thousand companies and one hundred and thirty industries. You can access Bloomberg Intelligence via b I go on the terminal. I'm Paul Sweeney and.
Speaker 3: I'm Alex Steele, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on applecard Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station Just Say Alexa, playing Bloomberg eleven.
Speaker 4: We turned out to the fast food industry. McDonald sales missed investor expectations in the fourth quarter as growth accelerated.
Speaker 2: To help REKIP, we were joined by Michael Halen, Bloomberg Intelligence senior Restaurant and food service analyst. Were first to ask Michael for his big takeaway from McDonald's earnings results.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it was a weaker quarter than most expected.
Speaker 9: For sure, sales growth was kind of weak. You know.
Speaker 11: They cited the impact from the Israel Hamas war and obviously that hurt results in the Middle East, but also in a Muslim countries like Malaysia and also countries like France that have a large Muslim population.
Speaker 9: It may have impacted sales here in the US a bit as well.
Speaker 11: There were some calls to boycott the brand right after the start of the Israel Hamas war. Those kind of went away in December in January, however, so there could have been.
Speaker 9: A mild impact in the United States as well.
Speaker 11: And then in terms of key takeaways from the call, you know, they don't like inspect their developmental markets where the Middle East is located, to improve really until the war ends. And they cited some consumer weakness in the United States, which they have before, right, but seems like it may be spreading in terms of you know, just low income consumer weakness. You know, it sounds like their customers right now are managing their guest checks.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mike, I'm just looking at the PGeo function on the Bloomberg turbine. I see that roughly sixty percent of the revenue comes from franchise operated stores, in about forty percent from company operating stores. How did they make that decision about what when they go to a particular location, whether the franchise or own it.
Speaker 11: I think a big part of it is return on investment, right, So if the returns on the investment are very strong, they typically want to hold on.
Speaker 9: To those stores or develop stores.
Speaker 11: You know, they'll they'll do some store development in the United States and in their more established markets, but it's going to be a small percentage of what they're doing going forward. You know, most of their growth is going to be you know, done by their strong franchise partners, particularly in China and some of these other very fast growing markets.
Speaker 4: Talk about the input part of the situation in terms of their costs, in terms of their labor and all that kind of good stuff.
Speaker 11: Inflation is easing for them this year, but it's still probably higher than normals.
Speaker 3: They're looking at cowsman cows.
Speaker 11: That's part of it, for sure. Beef and dairy costs are expected to be higher this year. So but they're looking at you know, low single digit commodity inflation in the United.
Speaker 9: States and abroad.
Speaker 11: Abroad had you know, Europe had very high inflation last year, and that that's going to settle down a bit. Labor inflation is going to continue to be higher. And a big chunk of a big part of that here is you know, in the US, you know, their California April first puts in the twenty dollars minimum wage for fast food workers, and so that's going to impact some of their stores, primarily their franchisees. However, so they're still seeing you know, higher inflation than you know, we had in the twenty teens for sure.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mike, I look at the stock, and you know, I need to pay a twenty two to twenty three times earnings for this stock. What am I really getting? Is it something more than GDP top line growth? What's really the call behind this kind of stock?
Speaker 11: Yeah, Well, with their global growth, they're going to probably grow quicker than GDP. You know, what you're buying with a franchise business is you know, pretty stable and predictable earnings growth, free cash flow growth. There's not a lot of operating leverage in the model, and so they're asset light and so they can lever the business up and return.
Speaker 9: Cash to shareholders pretty aggressively.
Speaker 11: So it's definitely an attractive model, especially one with the strong top line growth like McDonald's has. And they they're also most investors can consider them slightly insulated against a recession in slower economic times, and a big part.
Speaker 9: Of that is that the is the value that they.
Speaker 11: Offer during the Great Recession, they outperformed the quick service industry pretty significantly, acquired a lot of market share during that time, and so investors feel some safety investing in McDonald's versus some of the other restaurant chains out there.
Speaker 4: But that confuses me with what you said about customers watching their checks and their items and what they're buying, because you would think if things are hard and people are struggling, that you would get more value and people would go to McDonald's. But you were mentioning how in general people are watching their money more so they're not How does that kind of.
Speaker 11: Square Yeah, so what we've seen is a lot of traffic deterioration over the last couple of years because price increases have been so aggressive and people's spending is being pinched.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 11: But the thing about quick service, you know, they're in the lower end of the market, right, and so they'll see during an economic slowdown, they'll see higher and middle income consumers kind of fall into their bucket. They'll spend less at higher cost full service occasions and they'll visit McDonald's more often, whereas a lot of the low income can uomers will kind of fall out of that bucket. And decide to opt for the grocery store more often. So they'll lose some traffic on the low end, but they'll they'll probably gain some with some of the middle and upper income consumers.
Speaker 2: So, my, who's really their competition these days? When I was a kid, it was Burger King and Wendy's. But now there's so much more out there. How do you kind of slice it?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's the restaurant business man. It's so fragment that there's competition everywhere, man, you know, to your point, convenience stores, grocery stores, food trucks, you name it. Still, primarily their biggest competition are the fast food restaurants that are located closest to them. So it depends on the market. You know, California, Jack in the Box is number two, you know, on the East Coast, Yeah, you know, Burger King is number two, and in most markets, i'd say in the United States, Wendy's obviously is a big competitor of theirs. But also you know, places like Chipotle and shake Shack are all competing for restaurant dollars with McDonald's. But you know, we don't look too closely at market share in this business because it is so fragmented, and I don't really like total addressable market and restaurants because nobody's going to eat at McDonald's three times a day, seven days a week.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Michael Halen, Bloomberg Intelligence senior restaurant and food service analysts.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go next to the luxury industry. Earlier in the week.
Speaker 4: Esday Latter is that it's cutting as many as three thousand job positions as part of a broad restructuring plan. A plan is aimed at making the cosmetic giant a more profitable company.
Speaker 2: And this comes as plumbing sales in Asia have dragged down revenue and profit at Esday Lauder in the past year. For more on all of this, we're joined by Deb Aich and Bloomberg Intelligence senior analyst. It covers global luxury goods, home, beauty, and personal care. I first asked her for context of the restructuring plan already in play.
Speaker 8: They've raised five hundred to seven hundred million of cost on a deeper restructure program to bring up to one point four billion through twenty five and twenty six, mostly twenty five or majority twenty five weighted, So the expectation so that's kind of like four hundred million extra on what they were expecting before in terms of operating profitability.
Speaker 3: What was the problem that they had to fix by doing that? Like why is it so hard to be es Da lader?
Speaker 4: I thought everyone would pay a million dollars for perfect skin.
Speaker 3: Not talking my book or anything, right.
Speaker 8: The big thing over the last couple of years that we've seen, We've always known that estill Order a very premium product, and it did so well for so many years, but it had very high exposure in Asia. So we ended up a couple of years ago with a stuffed retail, duty free travel retail area across China and some parts of Asia, which were exacerbated by South Korea also in the issues there with the de Goose shopper and what we found. And we'd always been saying, you know, there's supply side. The way that they organized themselves, the logistics, They didn't have the hubs in place in Asia to do as much as they were doing, so they were caught short or caught overstuffed, so they had far too much in trade, and that has taken a long long time to temper down and start to normalize, and we should return overall to growth this next quarter.
Speaker 2: And dead let's stay with the China stories. I know from talking to you over the years and reading your research, the China consumer is just critical for luxury shopping. Can you give us a sense because I don't. When I walk down Madison Avenue or Fifth Avenue, I see all the European tourists back. They're back in, you know, in size, not so much with the Chinese. What's going on there?
Speaker 9: The big thing.
Speaker 8: We very late in getting visas through the reopening of you as we thought from the beginning of last year, reopening of travel, but the viewers that travel internationally won't come back until the second half the year. And we are starting to hear some of those luxury companies sane. We're seeing more Chinese, more Asian customers in our stores back home. There's a lot more spending, flights are fuller. The surveys that we're doing us that they will travel. But a lot of that travel so far has been across Asia.
Speaker 4: But what's interesting is that not all are created equal. I feel like you can Jerry pick a couple of luxury stocks that have been somewhat immune and I'm just wondering what those are. And I still and in the skincare world too, like what is that immune skincare high end product? That doesn't matter, We're all buying it anyway.
Speaker 8: I think that you know, there are there's some huge numbers in terms of some of the brands within the portfolio doing extremely well, lots of the brands of double digit. But it's that trade that draws down when you look at the Europe number for Estill order that's where they stock travel retail, that's where it sits in its P and L and it's still minus fourteen. But actually Europe underline is flat, and it's the same for the North American market. Within that there are brands like The Ordinary and La Mayor and several of the higher end brands doing very very well of double digit. And it's the same across if I think about the way actually luxury and you know Lorrel aside Loreal is doing phenomenally well with a high base of its product in moder classes as Lorel looks. But let's go to some of the luxury companies and the way that LVMH and others are building sizeable scale in perfume and cosmetics that's for growth of six to eight percent per year and very strong margin. So there are a lot of brands out there doing very very well. But in particular what has happened is and stockpicking, cherry picking. It's about the brands who've had the portfolio that hasn't had so much Asia travel retail or where it's really been able to manage that. Because even if I think about LVMH within its selective retail, and it housed dfs due to free stores and Sophora, and at one point last year they were both down and they've now fully recovered. We're starting to see if the US some robust numbers coming through even from that aspirational end. Across the luxury across brands, it's getting a little better, but it's going to take time.
Speaker 2: How are the luxury stocks? What's kind of the luxury call here? I look at the FA function for Sday latter it looks like for your the fiscal twenty twenty five, the June of twenty five year, the street's looking for a big pickup in revenue and profitability for Esday Latterer.
Speaker 8: What's behind that's that's all about that inventory. To put that inventory in Asia into context. It's dragged down skincare in this quarter organic cells minus ten percent. It's dragged down Europe to minus fourteen, where underlying Europe was flat because it stores that travel retail. So it's about that inventory normalizing, and they're saying that that has happened right now at the end of two Q, so we head into three Q with normalized level and so therefore if that is the case, then it's better manage. We should start to see double digit growth coming from there. And if we were looking underlying without that area, then we saw mid single digit growth. So that's what that's about. And then also on top of this new restructuring program and with some of those benefits to come through twenty five, we've been playing around on MDL on the calculator and what we see there is around an expectation of twelve to thirteen percent uplift to that twenty twenty five operating profit to hopefully come through.
Speaker 4: One consensus our thanks to Debra Agin, Bloomberg Intelligence, Senior Analyst, Global Luxury Goods, Home, Beauty, and Personal Care.
Speaker 2: That's this week's edition of Bloomberg Intelligence on Bloomberg Radio, providing in depth research and data on two thousand companies and one hundred and thirty industries.
Speaker 4: And remember you can access Bloomberg Intelligence the movie I Go on the Terminal.
Speaker 3: I'm Alex Steele, Paul Sweeney.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. Today's top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast, available on Apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday ten am to noon Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, Thehart Radio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg Terminal