Speaker 1: Hello Texans, Welcome to the show. Mark vandermir John Harris with you in the hun Day Texans Radio studio. And it's Thursday, and you know what that means. It's time for the General John McClain the Hall of Famersports Radio six ten dot Com. Among many other things in his past, including a band he played in in college. General, you sang, did you play the instruments?
Speaker 2: Tambourine? That was easy?
Speaker 1: Easy tambourine? Nice?
Speaker 3: General, on your music skill on a level from who's the worst quarterback there's ever been?
Speaker 1: Uh, Joe pisarcik, Joe wasn't.
Speaker 3: The worst Joe Pisarchick to Patrick Mahomes, Where would you say your musical talent lies in comparison to quarterbacks?
Speaker 2: I don't have any music musical talent. I sang because I could afford a sound system because I worked and I saved my money. I spent seven hundred dollars this is in the late sixties for a sound system. So that made me the singer. I was the leader of the band. And I can't tell you the name of the band because it's obscene, but it was people thought it was cool back then. My guys in Nashville have been trying to get me for twenty years to tell them the name of the band, and then when I finally told them, they're like, oh, no, we can't, we can't use that on the air. I said, no kidding. I've had people up there asked me like, on the street, tell me the name of your band.
Speaker 1: You can't even say it that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't tell them even off because then they go put it out on social media. But we had some really talented guys in our band, and we run around Central Texas and we played at places, made a little money, and it was a lot of fun because, as Paul McCartney said, he joined the Beatles because of the Birds, So I guess you could say when you were in a band back in the late sixties he had fun with the Birds.
Speaker 1: The Birds, Yes, and we all know what that means in England because of the Austin Powers movies. Anyway, general, no joint practices this week. Team has been working out on its own and getting ready for the Saints on Sunday. This is a weird deal because I don't think we have a rhythm yet around the league on how to handle that third week of the preseason. I think the teams are still finding their way without that fourth game, which we all knew what that became. No starters playing, just make it a developmental game, get the starters ready for opening day. But Week three was still starters if you had joint practices. Maybe not as much as it used to be. What do you think is going on with the Texans and around the league with this Week three routine.
Speaker 2: Well, they better not get too used to it because pretty soon it's going to be two preseason games and it's going to be eighteen regular season games, or by knows, the NFL wants to go eighteen a time when they talk about how word they are back, concussion in, players out, players will sign off on it because the salary cap will go up and they'll get a bigger cut of the money. You know, everybody wants the money. I don't blame them, and I think most teams are going to play their starters. You know, the Texans with new coach, new coordinators, new play caller, new quarterback now CJ. Stroud would have benefited from the joint practice against the Saints more than anybody because he can be hit and I think he would have done him good. We as to Meek Ryan's about simulating in practice with the Texans by themselves again versus the Saints what he could have done, and he said, they'll try to do it as close as they could. But I think based on what we've seen in Stroud, one good drive. He needs he needs work in this game. Could he use the practice reps because right now, if they had to play at Baltimore, a Super Bowl contender, it could be ugly.
Speaker 5: General.
Speaker 3: The news of the day, which I don't know, happened around two o'clock or so two fifteen or so on Thursday, Adam Schefter reporting that Arizona is making a trade of Isaiah Simmes to the Giants, but they also have a second trade. The Cardinals are sending offensive lineman Josh Jones from the Cardinals, who at eleven starts last year to the Houston Texans. He's in his final year of his rookie contract. If you want to use any kind of guide, he had a seventy five point eight grade last season on PFF. And I know the three of us have not watched Josh Jones. I did when he's back in Houston. Have watched much with the Cardinals, but just general your thoughts about trading for an offensive tackle, guy that has played guard, has versatility at either position. Your thoughts about that, and Mark I want to here obviously what you have to think about this trade too.
Speaker 2: Well, they're desperate at tackle. You know, we don't know if Titus Hour is going to be able to play in their first game. Cast came off. Now it's back on. Jeorge Fan has done a reasonable and first impersonation they brought into other tackles airs on he went on I or the other guy escape. I don't know if he got hurt, but Josh Jones is a legitimate tackle. And I'm guessing because they have a new head coach and a new GM and Monty Austin Fort he used to be here twice that they're cleaning out all the trash. That's why we know Kyler Murray won't be there after next season, even though they're not acting like it. They're going to draft one of the top quarterbacks, Drake mayor Caleb Williams, and so I like it. You don't get many guys at this point who can start and play. And what was he in the draft? Josh Jones from the Cougars. Was he a third rounder? Second rounder?
Speaker 5: I think he's the third rounder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you don't have a lot of third rounders, and so I think it's a good move. He's got a chance to come in here and play. He's coming home. He ought to be excited about it. You're not going to get a great player, man. I didn't get a good player. But if they coach him up, you know they they When you got a rookie quarterback and you're relying on a running game as much as they are, you got to do whatever it takes. So I'm glad to see Nick Serio make that move because she can't have too many tackles in a situation they're in.
Speaker 1: Boy, being a tackle in this league is like being a left handed pitcher in baseball. It's like being a seven footer in basketball. You are always going to be able to find a job if you're halfway decent, and I know he's more than halfway decent based on the amount of games he started. Third rounder, like you said, George Bush High School in Richmond. So it's good news at four to five things obviously, Charlie heck On pop from the get go and training camp and Titus with his injury situation, it's a good thing to have this. It's more than insurance. He might have to play a bunch. We'll see, we don't know yet, but you have him on the roster now, and they make the deal. In general, I saw Adam Rank put out a tweet earlier today Arizona Cardinals c and he had a gift of a tank operating. So obviously Austin fort Nick Cassio know each other's phone number. But the Cardinals mental man, and they're gonna be here at NRG Stadium this year. It doesn't look like they're primed for a Super Bowl run this campaign.
Speaker 2: They know their fans know the Michael Bidwell, the owner knows. You know. They're tanking to try to get that first pick, and they need a quarterback. They want a franchise quarterback. Now what I don't understand. People act like, oh, yeah, they can trade Kyler Murray. They're gonna have to pick up a whole lot of money on this contract that he's signed last year that might be one of the worst ever. And he blew out his knee of course, so I'm guessing they'll tell Kyler Murray well, just take the year off, we'll put you on. Now, we'll put you on. Iur and they're probably smart for him because it's a bad team and he don't want to risk me and hurt when they and they don't want him to get hurt because they want to move for what they can get. And I think that's a good plan for Austin Ford and new coach Johnathan Gannon, who the McNair's thought very highly of, interviewed him two seasons and it's a good play and everybody understands it. And the key is a lot of people think that they're going to have a chance to they most people picked the Texans to be bad, although I saw somebody yesterday had a winning seven games. They take that into heartbeat. And but most people think that the Texans are going to be bad enough to help them get two of the top five picks. But maybe, just maybe the Texans will surprise. They need the Browns to surprise and be bad so they can get hired number one pick, and then they need to be better than people anticipate.
Speaker 5: Both could happen. Yep, could happen.
Speaker 3: I mean, we'll see what probably won't happen, though is Jonathan terror playing for the Colts general they're he's kind.
Speaker 5: Of an artificially set deadline.
Speaker 3: I guess if you will with Jonathan Taylor Colts that said by Tuesday, because that's the fifty three man cutdown day, so they might want to get a player or two back in the deal. Maybe maybe not. What are your thoughts about Taylor? A. Do you think he ever plays for the Colts again? B he had to play for the Colts. Where's he going?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't imagine anybody wanted to trade for him right now, unless you do like Isaiah Simmons and give a seven. Now that guy was number one pick, right to get a seven for him. I remember how well he ran, how fast he was and his quickness, and everybody was raving about him. Well, Johnson Taylor was hurt last year. He's hurt right now. You don't know how long he's going to be healthy. The new team can't sign him to a contract, so you're going to take an injured player, not knowing if you can sign to a contract after the season. You may inherit the same problems as the Colts, where he's unampy again and he helps create controversy and and I certainly wouldn't give up two or three something like that. People talk about Christian McCaffrey. He was healthy, he was running, he was catching, he'd overcome knee surgery'd signed a huge contract. So if you could pay the money, which forty nine ers could, they got multiple pigs for him and it was worth it because they got to the championship game. But they didn't give up one. But I don't see anybody giving up to two. I wouldn't even given up the three for Jonathan Taylor, not knowing when he is going to be healthy and then not knowing if you're going to have him more than this season.
Speaker 1: Well, we know Jonathan Taylor's not playing tonight for sure, when the Colts take on the Philadelphia Eagles in their preseason finales and general. I don't know about mussy TV, but if there ever was one for a preseason game not involving the Texans, I am really eager to see what the Colts look like tonight. Anthony Richardson didn't play in the last one. And this is the Week two opponent for the Texans as the home opener September seventeenth. It's on your thoughts.
Speaker 2: I read a respectable longtime NFL writer talking about Anthony Richardson being a candidate for NFL Offensive Rookie the year. Nobody spoke of him at all till he went to the combine and lit it up with his athletic ability. When nobody was rushing him, nobody was covering him, nobody was covering his receivers, and it just people fell in love with the athleticism, kind of like Mike mcmula. And so he has so little experience. I've told his story before. There are three people that went to the University of Florida and were in the NFL who were good friends of mine and told me that Damien Pears was a great draft choice. He was gonna be really good because the Gators misused him terrible and made a huge mistake with him. And that's why when I used that information in bad landry Locker one hundred dollars that he would rush for a thousand yards and he misses almost the last all of the last five games that he would have shattered it. Those same people told me they do not understand what all the hype is on Anthony Richardson because they watched every game, every throw, every rue, and yes, he is a great athlete and he may become a great quarterback. But they say he is so raw and was they say he was poorly coached. And so since they were right about Pierce, I tend to believe him on Richardson and certainly do not think of him as a candidate for Offensive Rookie of the Year based on how little he played at Florida.
Speaker 3: Boys and Girls. Mike Mamula, nineteen ninety four. It's a long time ago. He was the first player to master the combine. He learned all that combine events, practiced them, and ended up blowing up the combine. He had a number seventh pick in the ninety four draft, So you see, yeah, BC he's he.
Speaker 5: Was actually a good player kind of and then he got hurt.
Speaker 3: And the way you go from that standpoint general, what you read on the Titans right now?
Speaker 5: Traylon Burke's gonna miss a few weeks.
Speaker 3: Well, Levis has been banged up a little bit, but the defense apparently has kind of found itself, and you kind of thought it was We've thought it was gonna be that team all along. What's kind of your read on the Titans come out of training camp.
Speaker 2: There's no surprises on the Titans. They're gonna rely on their defense. They're gonna rite rely on Derrick Henry, and they're gonna rely on Ryan Tannehill baking the ball to Henry, great playfags and then throwing a lot of short passes because they don't have a deep threat. And I'm thinking, as long as Deandre's healthy, he's gonna get a lot of targets and he'll probably have a lot of catches. You know, he's not gonna beat anybody deep until Burke's comes back, and nobody has a clue how long that'll be. DeAndre is going to get a lot of attention from defenses, and of all the teams in the NFL, I think they will be the least surprising about the way they go about this season. We know the head coach, we know this philosophy, we know the strengths and weaknesses of the team. There's going to be no surprise.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 1: People who know me know I'm a very positive person. I'm the Norman Vincent Peel of sports talk radio. I think upbeat. I look for the good in people. But give me a good worst case scenario for the Jaguars here, give me some hope here that they're not going to be as good as people think. What can go wrong with the Jaguars? That's right, I'm going dark here on the Jaguars.
Speaker 2: A lot of people think because Doug Beaters won a Super Bowl and he did get fired, that he's going to turn that team into a Super Bowl contender. So they were nine to eight last year, they had to win the last game to get in the playoffs. Then they had that great comeback or a choke job on a Chargers part to win a playoff game before they lost. And Trevor Lawrence to make a lot of improvement under Doug Peterson, who's done well with quarterbacks, and now there's people saying he's a dark horse candidate for MVP. Maybe he will be, but I I just don't see it. I think they should be favored to win the division. But you said a worst case in their worst scenario is a losing record and somebody like Tennessee sneaks in and wins the division and they take a huge step back. And if they do have a losing record don't win the division, people are going to kill them because there's I've seen people rate them as high as number five in the NFL. I want them to prove it. I want him to show it. I see four teams in the FC North that I think are better than them. I see three teams in the FC's I saw a thing today written by Connor or, one of the great NFL riders on s side dot com, who has the Patriots winning the AMC WHA what I haven't seen anybody make that prediction. Has the chancel of the losing record. Okay, like everybody, I got the Patriots finished the last Maybe it's because of Billy O'Brien, but it's amazing. But most people have the Jaguars running away with it and Trevor Lawrence having a shot at the MVP Award. I just don't see it. I wanted to prove it first general.
Speaker 1: The game tonight between the Eagles and the Colts is on Amazon. So here we go again with the Amazon thing, which did pretty well last year. Considering it's a streaming service and it's not over the air and drive by viewership as I call it and everything like that, you really have to dig in to go find the game. Tell me something, what streaming service do you watch most shows on Do you watch a lot of Netflix? And do you have Hulu or something like that? Is there a show that you like to stream? We used to talk movies all the time. I think that says a lot about the movie industry that we don't discuss movies with you much anymore. But tell me what about streaming services for you?
Speaker 2: We still don't subscribe to Netflix. And because there's a million shows on Amazon and you can get almost everything on Amazon, that's where I watched the most. But well, we really like the most. Carol and I watch Breadbox. We love watching British mysteries, murder mysteries because you're tired of blowing them up and car chases and murders with guns over there. It's they they stab them, they they choke them, they hit them in the.
Speaker 1: Heads, so much more wholesome. Yes, they don't.
Speaker 2: Carry guns and shoot them unless it's a hunter doing it. It's just they don't spend a lot of money on explosions, you know, they spend a lot less money on their shows. And not just England and UK and Italy. We watch a lot of those. And it's that you have to think a lot, and sometimes it gets me, gives me a headache, and then Carol has to she's already figured it out, and I'll say, don't tell me anymore. But we love Brett Box.
Speaker 1: Do you see movies in the theater anymore? In general?
Speaker 2: We do well. Last one I saw was Oppenheimer. She saw Oppenheimer, she saw Barbiees, she saw something else. The third Equalizers coming out. I loved the first one. I was seeing a lot. Second one was okay, And I'll see this one because I see everything Denzel Washington does because I think he is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Doesn't help with this writer strike and the actor strike and all that kind of stuff because there's no promotion for anything. I mean, they can't promote anything right now. Yeah, the actors won't do it. Yeah, they can't do anything with it at that point. So yes, trust me, I understand completely about the lack of people going to movies. Although Jack and I went, I think we saw a top Gun Maverick. I think it was the last one we saw in the theater.
Speaker 5: It was awesome. I mean, I love going to going to the theater.
Speaker 3: I just wish I could do it all a year ago. Yeah, I know, it was only a year ago. I saw I saw a Mission Impossible in the theater. Yeah, I need to see that. But I heard it's three hours, and man, I just can we pause the movie? Yes?
Speaker 1: No, I can't. All right, I need to know if I'm drinking soda and popcorn, I need to go take a break. About ninety minutes in pause the movie.
Speaker 5: That's a week.
Speaker 2: What if you're in a three hour football game, you have to go take a break?
Speaker 5: I get that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, baseball game, do you have to take a break? If it's three hours and it's good, it flies by. And I guarantee both of you guys are sharp enough to love Openheim.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely want to see that. I mean, there's no doubt I want to see that.
Speaker 2: You see it in the theater?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I want to see in the theater. No, no doubt. I want to go to the movies. I just you know, it's well season. I haven't had a chance to go to the movie. Speaking of football, chaed Reuter is a writer for NFL dot Com and he was looking at the rookie class and he did some projections for the players and quarterbacks. Guys that can register stats would you, guys take this right out of the shoot? Take this CJ. Stroud's numbers in twenty twenty three. Would you take this, Okay, thirty four hundred passing yards, twenty one touchdowns, fourteen interceptions, three hundred and fifty rushing yards, three rushing touchdowns. Just knowing that right there, general, would you take that for CJ. Stroud as a rookie.
Speaker 2: He's a rookie, of course.
Speaker 1: Johnny, I think I'll take it. Twenty one. I'd like to see a few more. But with the rushing touchdowns off setting it close to twenty five total touchdowns, I think Pierce will score a bunch. That's a positive scenario. The fourteen what was it, fourteen.
Speaker 5: Pick fourteen picks?
Speaker 1: I guess I'll have to live with it. He's a rookie. You know it's rookies. You just don't know. It's weird because Cam Newton has a rookie threw for over four thousand yards.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight interception, Oh ouch, that's a lot of interception.
Speaker 3: That's I mean, I would take that. I would take that. Here's the numbers that came up with Brece Young. Okay, thirty seven hundred passing yards, twenty three touchdowns, eleven interceptions, same rushing yards three hundred and fifty one more rushing touchdown for rush.
Speaker 1: Give me Richardson, Now, give me richards because there's no way all three of them are going to have that kind of success. But let's see what he says about that.
Speaker 3: Richardson thirty one hundred passing yards Okay, twenty touchdowns, yeah, fifteen interceptions okay, six hundred and fifty rushing yards, eight rushing touchdowns. So essentially, he averages less than he averages less than two hundred yards a game. CJ's right at two hundred yards a game. It's like, was it like one hundred and eighty a game?
Speaker 1: What's Richardson's rushing yard total against?
Speaker 5: Six to fifty.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of have like close to a thousand.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of yards. You'll think you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna have more than that. Give me a break, Bills and Lamar Jackson. He's gonna be running all the time, number one, because he can't read defenses. You had, so when the first receivers not open, he'll take out. And he doesn't have a running back.
Speaker 5: He's not gonna hit thirty one hundred passing yards. That's a thing. I think he's gonna have more than six fifty.
Speaker 2: Think he'll rush for a lot more than six fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dang well, does he stay upright? He's gonna take a lot of hits with all that rushing, So we'll see six fifty.
Speaker 5: He'll take some hits. He'll deliver something too.
Speaker 3: So that Derrek Henry got hurt a couple of times. I know, I know, But Derek Henry is still kicking. The problem is, Derek Henry doesn't have to throw the ball. But I don't think he gets the thirty one hundred passing yards.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of passing yards while you're running for all that right.
Speaker 4: Thanks, all right?
Speaker 2: You're talking about who is six six four five quarterback? Oh's the same size.
Speaker 1: He's a big boy.
Speaker 3: Andrew luck When I interviewed him at the Pro Bowl, I couldn't get over it. You know what today is what it's the four year anniversary of when he retired. It's the luck of Versary, one of the greatest days in the history of my football life. Andrew Luckyllous stepping away, Charling. We were getting our butts kicked, and I remember I interviewed DeAndre Hopkins and got done with the interview. And right after I was done, usually you guys say like, hey, great job, Johnny, whatever, you say something, and you went we have massive news in the NFL.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, wait, what what happened?
Speaker 3: And all of a sudden, on the sideline, there are these groups of players all looking at JJ Watt's phone.
Speaker 5: They're all looking at each other like yeah, they'll look at each other like, oh my gosh, it's lucky.
Speaker 1: The headlight is what had his phone on the sideline? General, what do you have going on? In sports Radio six ten dot com?
Speaker 2: I have a Texans column about they've got to get the running game worked out because they haven't run the ball worth a darn in preseason and they've got to do a better job stopping to run. I know y'all never heard that, and they got to do it fast and it's got to start in New Orleans. Guys, thank you very much, as always.
Speaker 1: As always, General, thank you. Greg Grissom, the president of the Texans, joins us next to talk about the home opener, a special college football showcase that you didn't see coming, but it's gonna be awesome. Here at NRG Stadium and some other stuff as well. Plus we'll take a peek at the Saints with Chrissy Freud as Deep City visits with her. It's Texans Radio moving right along on Texans Radio tonight, Let's check in with the President of the Houston Texans, Greg Grissom, with everything that's going on with the organization. A busy few weeks. It's always busy, but man, this is the time of year, right preseason home game there was only one, but we've got a lot of events coming up. So let's get to it with Greg Grissom.
Speaker 4: Excited to be here and.
Speaker 1: We're in air conditioning, and we weren't a lot during training camp, but it was fun. We had a great time. How did it go for you? How did it go for the organization? Texans training camp this year?
Speaker 4: The word I would use for training camp with our fans was just energy, the energy and excitement. It was palpable out out of camp every practice. We had overflow crowds every day. You know, players engaging, fans engaging, you know, the McNair's everybody engaging and just having a great time watching this team work really hard to prepare for the season, Greg.
Speaker 3: Has Mark slipped you the one hundred for putting us at the fifty yard line in front field one?
Speaker 5: Has he done that yet?
Speaker 4: I think it's going to cost him a little bit more now, you know, we let him there, but now he wants to stay there. So yeah, so we'll see what that's worth as we move forward to next year.
Speaker 3: Greg, you mentioned energy. That was probably because we were right there. I think we were able to sense that energy throughout practice because they were all around us at you know, eight thirty in practice at nine it was probably even at eight doors open, people.
Speaker 5: Just flocked in.
Speaker 3: But I always know there's after action reports and things like that. Or is there anything that you want to add to the mix, because and I ask you that because of this twenty twenty two Cow's cookout just started seemingly organically and now all of a sudden, I mean, there are lines of people waiting. Are there things that you want to continue to add to training camp that you think will make sense for the fans or for Mark or for anybody else?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, well, well it's always about Mark. We know that. But but you and I know that's right. But yes, there's always things that we want to add and we want to look and see what is you know, we we do a number of surveys, so we always take the feedback, always listening to our fans. We're always focusing on how we can get better and all that we that we do. And so we're actually getting the more of the gathering mode right now, just trying to understand and use all the data that we've gathered, and we'll evaluate and figure out what's the right approach moving forward. But we, as you know, we've made tremendous improvements over the last couple of years, all all about trying to make a better experience for our fans, the players' families, you guys, everyone, and so you know, I would expect that there'll be something new. I don't know exactly what it is yet, but I promise that the team and you know, Disney, Harris, Wan Rodriguez, Haley Kraigel, our whole team that put all that together do a great job and they're hard at work on how we can make it better.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Season premiere was new last year and it's even newer this year as you kick off the season on the stadium floor.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yeah, it was a great event last year. Evolution of our old team luncheon into a night event, have all our players you know, getting dressed up, which is fun. So this year move in it from the Houston Methodist Training Center to this NRG Stadium floor. Just gonna be an exciting event. And the best part about it is with the leadership of Hannah McNair and and all the other vice chairmans of the event, just to to do great things for our community and inspire hope in Houston and through our foundation, and just really grateful for all the players support of that evening and everybody who's who's making it a great night.
Speaker 1: You didn't talk about dueling pianos though, and Hannah did.
Speaker 4: Yes, there is. There will be dueling pianos. There'll be all kinds of fun things. I think a bunch of you know, fun sneakers that are everybody's being encouraged to wear. So you know, who knows, But I know it'll be a great night and exciting evening.
Speaker 3: Gregor didn't hit me probably until I guess after the game Saturday and David Brady over the announcement or the PA said we'll see Indianapolis Colts week two the season.
Speaker 5: And I went whoa man.
Speaker 3: It literally is that that's the next game that's taken place, that we got a lot before we get there. But I know that we're always we're always preparing for that first game, then the excitement that goes with the first regular season game, and it will come in Week two against Indianapolis, and I know there's gonna be so much they're available for our fans and for everything going on for that day. How how's that preparation going for a game in the building.
Speaker 4: I can't wait. I mean, I do think we game presentation wise, we're gonna unveil something, uh you know that I think will be very exciting, very different than what we've done in the past pregame as uh just the legend of the Bull maybe a little bit of a hint there. And so let's see how we can create a storyline that we haven't created in the past. So I'm really excited to see that. And really, John, what I'm most excited and I and I feel very confident it will be that way is a full house energized hopefully, you know, reminding everybody to get in early, you know, welcome this team and and let's let's create nrg's home field advantage, like we know it, know it can be and has been in the past. And uh, we can see you know, tickets, tickets are going for there's there's there's a limited number when I say limited, like less than five hundred kind of limited left that that are available. And so I just really would encourage everybody if they're thinking about it, go act now.
Speaker 1: Well. Plus, it's the Colts, right, I know, we get up for all the games, but there's something extra with the Horseshoe.
Speaker 4: Correct, I mean, isn't that's your favorite team to beat?
Speaker 5: Mark?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely, let's have at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, And so hey, it's a division game. You know, it's our home opener. Uh, you know, it's the kickoff game. We'll be doing a lot of things leading up to that. There'll be a lot of new things, you know, for fans to experience. But really, let's get this place jumping and we'll do our best to create the environment and I know the team will do their best on the field to make sure that that everybody has a great day.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: There is a game at NRG Stadium though before that, and that would be September eighth, and this is really unique. I think this is super cool. The Mexico Football Showcase.
Speaker 4: Mexican Mexican College Football Show.
Speaker 1: Because college football from Mexico be played it in RG Stadium.
Speaker 4: Correct, Correct. This was something kind of happened organically. Actually, the the NFL gentleman who runs the Super Bowl for the league, a gentleman named Peter O'Reilly, reached out to us and said, Hey, we have an idea. We'd love to talk to you guys about working with Monterey Tech and tigrez uh in ONEFA, which is the kind of the NCAA of college football in Mexico. Uh. They want to play their first sanctioned you know, not a non exhibition game in the United States, and they want to play it in our G stadium. Would you guys be willing to partner with us? And we're like yes, and and so really excited about it. I think it's been a great experience. We've got a there's a lot of conversations going back with these these schools. They were here last Saturday doing a site visit. Great to meet their athletic director and a couple of the players that will play on the field. They get to play on an NFL Stadium, and then we get to engage in Monterey. We've got a group going down there actually, you know, as we speak to to do some some you know, fan interactions in Monterey, in and around the university. So just a great way to showcase Houston and Monterey and the partnership together in the game of football.
Speaker 3: And the next day, if my math is correct, do you have to check me on this, I think yes, Sam Houston air.
Speaker 4: Force, that's correct. So Sam Houston's first ever FBS game hosted right here at NRG Stadium against air Force, and so it'll be a great night. So yeah, if you think about next week, we've got season premiere, we have the Mexican College Football Showcase and the Sam Houston Air Force game, all in a matter of about three or four days leading into let's go. Let's go beat the Ravens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that'll be awesome. All right, Greg, we talked about the Colts game. The next home game after that for the Texans is the Pittsburgh Steelers and a guy named J. J. Watt and being inducted into the Ring of Honor? Is that all that's it?
Speaker 5: Would you like to.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a great day. And you know, anytime you can can correct recognize our legends, and you know, obviously the statue of JJ and guys like Andre so great to see Jjo out at practices and the role that he's playing and all our former legends. But just to be able to welcome JJ back to Houston. I know it's important to him. He's been great, as we've kind of communicated him through with him throughout this process. Really want to make sure it's great for him and his family and allow our fans in the city of Houston to just recognize all that he's done for our organization but our community as a whole. And hopefully we get to beat the Steelers that day too.
Speaker 5: Oh that'd be nice.
Speaker 3: I mean with his brother on the other side, I mean, that would just be that would be absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: I want to go back to something that you said earlier that's kind of been ruminating in my brain a little bit. You talked about the energy, and I think we've been feeling the energy, I think since Demiko was named the head coach, and then we've sensed it watching Demko and Nick work together. I think the fans finally got a chance to see that during during training camp, and I feel like that's powerful, and I feel like there are a lot I mean, I talk to the players. We had a couple of players in here during the off season. We're doing interviews with them, and we were talking about you know what it was, you know what it was like before. Now the three of us have seen that building rock before. We've seen it just blow our minds rock. And there were players. I'm like, look, man, this place a rock. There are a lot of people in our business opposite have not seen that. But in your opinion, where does that energy coming from? What's been what has contributed to kind of the feeling and the vibe of this sense probably Demiko has been higher.
Speaker 4: Well, I would go a little bit before that, and I would give a lot of credit to Kyle and Hannah and all the work that they've done to kind of get us in a position with Nick, with all of us, we've had a lot of changes, as you know, on the on the business side, so there's been a lot of work, kind of foundational work over the last year or two to kind of lead us to a point where the Demico effect, in Hannah's words, can can fully can fully take effect. And I mean, there's no question that Demiico is a catalyst for some of this energy. And what the energy really the way that the players and the environment that he's creating for them to be their best, And and then all the support staff and and the work that Nick has done, and all our you know, our nutrition program and our weight program, and then you know, hopefully things we've been doing on the business side too, and the way that we've been working to listen to our fans and take care of our season ticket holders and our fan counsel and uh, you know, reimagine kind of how we represent ourselves to the city of Houston. So I think you put all those in in a mix and and you throw a catalyst like Demico on top of it, and that's what creates it. And and you know, hey, we all know that it's about winning games at the end of the day, and that's what we're here to do and to do that in a in a really powerful way. But it's great to feel the energy to get started. And like you said, there's nothing more important than getting an energized building, uh that that that we can have that environment for our players.
Speaker 1: To perform in all I want more for you about the game day experience because we had the one preseason game and sort of a soft opening for the boulevard, which is all been there, but you're really putting a lot more into the boulevard area, which is on the east side of the stage, of the southeast side, and the radio stage is out there. So that's how I noticed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's smart. So I mean, without getting too far into the weeds, we've kind of always had kind of disparate areas of activation or kind of you know, environment creating energy. You know, we had bud Light Plaza, we had the Boulevard, we had some things in other areas. And what we're testing is if we just consolidate and give everyone one place to go and say this is the place. This is if you you know, as you're coming into the building. You know, obviously we want people tailgating out in the parking lots and enjoying that, and we want people in the building early. But as you know, as everybody's navigating all those those experience and we're working really hard on making traffic as good as it possibly can be. But come check out the boulevard. It's where we're going to continue to just to build infrastructure and make it kind of a one stop place for people to enjoy the pregame atmosphere before they get into the stadium. Again, if I can, I can, I say it again, get in early. We want folks ready to go and and getting the juice going from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we know tailgating is obviously it's a big thing. So this one's for both of you. You can hold your answer mark for a little bit. If you have time to get out to a tailgate before a game. What's the one food you have to get at the tailgate? What's the one you want to have more than any other in a tailgate.
Speaker 4: I'm like a halopeno and cheese sausage guy, so I'm always kind of looking for for for the you know, the best halopeno and cheese sausage of some kind. Just you know, it's maybe a little off the beaten path, you know, not every tailgate has it. I know h GB serves some. You know, you can buy some amazing products there because I might do that on a frequent basis, but I'm always looking for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean them the same thing I like looking for the sausage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a smart tailgate food to eat because I'll go for the brisket with a lot of barbecue sauce and spill it all over myself and then go in and you know, it's a disaster, but.
Speaker 5: It tastes good.
Speaker 1: So you're on the radio, so everything's fah for radio. Greg, thanks a lot of good luck.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: There's the president of the Houston Texans, Greg Griss. Now the team heading four New Orleans on Saturday to play a Sunday night game at seven. It's live on Fox twenty six and Sports Radio six ten of the Bowl one hundred point three FM, and the Texans app, in the Odyssey app and a lot of apps. So let's talk about it. Deep b Situ visits with Chrissy Freud, who covers the Saints. Let's get a deep dive going on New Orleans next here on Texans Radio. Final segment on Texans All Access tonight with the Texans taking on the Saints in Week six. It's a little unusual, but it's happened before in franchise history, where you play a team in the preseason that you will face in the regular season, So let's get organized here and get to know the Saints a little bit better. Yeah, we'll see them up close in personal Sunday Night Live on Fox twenty six and Sports Radio six ten The Bowl one hundred point three FM. But what's going on with the Saints? Deep b Situ catches up with Saints insider Chrissy Freud.
Speaker 6: I'm catching up with Chrissy Freud. She covers the Saints for Saints Wire. Chrissy, A weird week for both of these teams. No joint practices, So how are the Saints hand sort of the free time this week? I mean, they still have practice, but they don't have the Texans in town. What does that sort of look like from your end?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's kind of a normal week. It obviously is a little bit different as far as being able to go up against the other the team.
Speaker 8: I mean, they did have the joint practices against the Los Angeles Chargers last week, so I think it's obviously some type of the benefit whenever you have the ability to do that before the preseason game comes around. But at the same time, it's just like what's been said, there was a reason why these practices were canceled. There were some players banged up on both sides. Looking more at the Texans as far as that goes, so, I think that it really wouldn't have been productive for either side. And then it also I think, looking from the Texans perspective, is absolutely not and their best interest, not only for a game that at the end of the day, well it really doesn't matter, even though you'd like to get the win, but also moving into an important season for both teams that are looking to bounce back. I mean, you want as many people healthy as possible. One this is just the women's not worth the squeeze there. As far as holding joint practices.
Speaker 6: I feel like every time we go to New Orleans for joint practices, something bad happens. I mean, I still have a little bit of PTSD from Hurricane Harvey back in twenty seventeen, But the Saints were out west and there was a hurricquake.
Speaker 4: So how did that all go?
Speaker 6: Where the players affected at all?
Speaker 2: By that?
Speaker 7: I don't think so.
Speaker 8: I mean I think that in any instance where that happens, I think it makes people a little bit uneasy. I know that with Hillary coming and then as far as the earthquake goes and everything. There was a little bit of pushback just from some people in general, kind of like why are we playing this game?
Speaker 7: Why isn't this game rescheduled? Why is it a move? But don't we cancel it all together? Just as far as the environmental hazards that creates.
Speaker 8: But I think it ended up being not that bad, and I think that obviously the Saints were not horribly affected by It was a really close game, and then New Orleans came out on tops.
Speaker 6: Literally literally dodged a storm.
Speaker 4: So good to hear.
Speaker 6: All Right, So final preseason game, you know, heading into it, what are sort of the big questions that the Saints would like to have answered?
Speaker 2: You think?
Speaker 8: I think some of it comes down to the linebacker position.
Speaker 7: I think that when.
Speaker 8: We went into this preseason we kind of question some of the depth. But the free agent pickup Jalen Smith has shown some really good things. I think that he's moved on to be the front runner as the backup linebacker. I think that we also look to the running back position.
Speaker 7: I think the LS.
Speaker 8: Merriweather has done a good job there. But then we look at Kendre Miller as the one who's making the push to be.
Speaker 7: The backup guy.
Speaker 8: And then especially with Alvin Kamara he's suspended the first three games of the season, you want someone strong there. I think that he's shown some versatility fifty nine all purpose yards in this past game, so I think that that's going to be something to watch.
Speaker 7: I think we'll probably see him in limited.
Speaker 8: Time because I would like to think that's something that's kind of been a hashed out. And then also just continuing continuing to look at the overall performance across the offensive line and defensive line, there's been some depth issues multiple positions across both of those lines, and then also kind of a revolving door with injury. So I think that just who takes the field is going to be something to watch, and then kind of establishing as some of those up positions as well. And then we also look at the quarterback battle. I mean, I obviously Derek Carr is going to be the starter. I don't think that anyone's questioning that, which is why you haven't seen much of them, But that's probably going to continue to be a trend. But I think that Jamis Winston and Jay Canter are closer than some people may think Winston's got more experience.
Speaker 7: I think logically it's going to make more sense for.
Speaker 8: Him to open this season as the backup, especially after putting up a strong performance against Los Angeles.
Speaker 7: But at the same time, this is a.
Speaker 8: Quarterback he's shown to be inaccurate at times, a lot of decision making issues, just very inconsistent throughout his career, as a stat line in the film reflects, and so I think that even if j Caner doesn't push him for the number two spot immediately, I think that's going to be something to watch moving downline.
Speaker 7: I think that Hayter grew.
Speaker 8: Leaps and bounds as did CJ. Stroud on your side of the ball in the second in the second game. I think it's so funny because we think about the quarterback position and rookies and every single year, I see the same storyline in the first preseason game, Oh and such looks like he's strugg Lady, it's a rhythm and yeah, it's because we can't live in a world of instic gratification with the rookie quarterback.
Speaker 7: It's a really hard transition to make.
Speaker 8: They're playing alongside all these backups, your reserve offensive line, and so yeah, I mean they got to get their rookie jitters out and so if you're going to see an upward swing, you'd at least.
Speaker 7: Hope in the second game.
Speaker 1: All right, there's Chrissy Freud who covers the Saints for Saints Wire and visiting with our own d B Situ. You can hear the rest of that on the Deep Slam podcast on the Texans app, Spotify, wherever you get your podcasts. I'm Spotify. Some people are iTunes with different strokes for different folks. Texans app has all of that stuff, and we've got the game as well for you on the app and on Sports Radio six ten, The Bowl one hundred point three FM and Fox twenty sixth Sunday night at seven, Texans Saints. That's going to do it for tonight. Demiko Ryan's on the show tomorrow along with a lot of other good stuff including Jerry Hughes. Check in tomorrow at six. Have a great night, Go Texans.