Speaker 1: Are you leave in on?
Speaker 2: You wanna way back home?
Speaker 3: Either way, we want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim.
Speaker 4: And give us time and a turmano and gay.
Speaker 2: We want to send you off inside. You wanna welcome you back home?
Speaker 1: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 2: We scared her?
Speaker 5: Was it fine?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 4: Porn?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do your need ride.
Speaker 7: With Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 2: This is Karen col Garoff.
Speaker 1: I thought recently I should have a like this is Chris Fairbanks, and then have a name. I was gonna say the handsomest face in podcasting. Okay, it's like a playoff of a face made for radio. Sure, but I'd go the handsomest facing podcast. Is it weird to say I'm handsome? No?
Speaker 4: Because you're insulting yourself right right by saying it exactly?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See a lot of people wouldn't see the joke, and then they think that I was maybe sure myself, or even confident, worse confident?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And what what a thing to be accused of is to actually think that you might be looking gross.
Speaker 1: No, I've just people have been saying it, and so I started to I've.
Speaker 2: Been telling you you're good looking.
Speaker 1: I just uh, you know, on Twitter, I'm apparently twitter handsome also, And someone told me they're looking at one picture if they could see me now my face is it looks like I got stung by bees because I'm so swollen in the face.
Speaker 2: Uh. But so then you are kind of bragging at the end of the day, at.
Speaker 3: The at the very right before I go to bed, I brag a little bit.
Speaker 4: Eleven fifty nine. Yeah, this isn't even confessional.
Speaker 3: I yes, exactly.
Speaker 7: That's when I say that's but in the morning, I hate myself.
Speaker 4: But Chris, you are a classically good looking Hollywood face.
Speaker 1: There we go. I just wanted you to say, oh, I see the classic Hollywood face.
Speaker 2: Okay, it should have picked up.
Speaker 7: That was the whole Yeah, yeah, that could have been shorter.
Speaker 4: I you know, I've never taken improv classes, and that you can really tell when I don't pick up on those, when you're no ending.
Speaker 1: Me up until a certain point.
Speaker 7: But it's okay, it's.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll do I call it giving you the business.
Speaker 7: We should just take a one on one class at the Groundlings.
Speaker 2: I sure I have eight hundred dollars that I don't need.
Speaker 1: Is that how much that is?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's all seems to be ridiculous. And like, to me, we just did a show the other night at UCB, and the experience going there, being there, the actual show, and then leaving there, I was like, this is just a high school for the arts.
Speaker 1: It really is. The new UCB looks like there is hallways. I believe they have lockers. There's a lunch room. Yeah, it very much. But I like that a little because I don't know. If you're a parent and you're dropping off your kid in Hollywood to go to comedy school, at least they'd be like, oh, wow, it looks like a high school.
Speaker 4: Sure that will comfort any parents, not the back of it for their child.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: But me being over forty, I just have no business being there. And I keep forgetting that, And then I go do a show there and I'm like, oh, there's a reason I shouldn't be here.
Speaker 2: I'm too old, and I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I keep forgetting that. Oftentimes you're just performing for the students there.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the thing, and I keep forgetting not in love anymore.
Speaker 1: I used to be in love.
Speaker 7: Oh when I know you held the fake mic for me to do.
Speaker 1: But I'm not very good at Michael.
Speaker 2: We can't do the high part.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a that's as good as I get.
Speaker 2: Should we talk for a second about how we're picking up Jode Rosa?
Speaker 7: Yes, we are going to lax to pick up Joda Rosa.
Speaker 4: We're picking up Joda Rosa, good friend of mine, one of my closer friends. I'd say he's not happy right now because we're late.
Speaker 2: I'm late. I made Chris late.
Speaker 1: It's okay. I'll take the blame. I'll take fifty percent of the blame.
Speaker 2: You know what. That's what teamwork is. Taking blame you don't deserve.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's beautiful. You know what, because I don't want to tak your relationship with him. I just have only been recently getting to know him. I'll take U take seventy percent.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Really, you're going to shoulder the majority of this.
Speaker 1: Blame from the get go. I'm just gonna say it's mostly my fault.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I think it'll be you know what nobody likes to wait at the airport. I understand his irritation, right, Uh whatever, when he gets in, we're gonna we're gonna give him the right of a lifetime exactly.
Speaker 1: Insact, we really are gonna he's gonna be back there gripping the seats in fear. That's the kind of ride. Yes, the ride of a lifetime. Sounds like we're gonna drive like lunatics.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'm gonna drive.
Speaker 2: Seriously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, all the cabs have gone insane. I'm sorry about Lyft and Uber. You dis Yeah, yeah, my fault.
Speaker 1: Cabs drive angrily thinking about Lyft and Uber all day now, and they only are at the airport.
Speaker 2: It's like, uh arriving flights.
Speaker 4: They're like, they're like the kind of not that pretty girl when when two new pretty girls move into town and start going to their high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or stepsisters when you're the new adopted sister. Yes, that's the same example. I didn't need to come up with a second one.
Speaker 4: No, you know what, it just it just helps make clear there's some people listening to this, and you know who you are, who.
Speaker 2: Don't get it.
Speaker 1: They didn't go to school. They didn't know what it was like to not be popular.
Speaker 4: They were homeschool The homeschoolers need several explanations, so I try.
Speaker 1: To do family ones that are more familiar to those people that were homeschool smart yes.
Speaker 4: Or like it would be like if you had granola and suddenly there was cranberries in it, when before then there'd only been slivered almonds.
Speaker 1: Now you lost me. You lost me.
Speaker 7: That's okay, But I am hungry.
Speaker 2: Now I'm hungry too.
Speaker 7: We are going? Is it Delta United?
Speaker 2: It is Delta.
Speaker 7: It's funny how those I always confuse the two?
Speaker 1: We will be on the other side. Yes, yes, I don't know why are Why do I confuse those two? The same number letters? That's about all they have in common.
Speaker 2: Delta and United. I think they're both old too, They're like old old style.
Speaker 1: Yes, I always confused two men named Earl and Merv too, because they're they're old people.
Speaker 2: I read the other the other day.
Speaker 4: It was some old fashioned advertisement and the name they used in it was Nan, and I couldn't stop laughing.
Speaker 2: Is no one's named Nan anymore? Will be again?
Speaker 1: Isn't that I have Dagwood Bumpstead's wife. No, he called her Han h o n.
Speaker 2: Her name was Han.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was very aggressive. I think it was No, I'm thinking of Andy Capp.
Speaker 2: Oh Andy Cap the old scott are strong.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was abusively as strong keeper.
Speaker 2: He called his wife pet Pet.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're right.
Speaker 7: I used to just I mean, he was condescending.
Speaker 2: But he but she would beat him up with a rolling pin. So, oh wow, maybe that's don't worry about Pet.
Speaker 1: I guess he wasn't taking face first naps on the couch. He was a knocked unconscious.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: He had a lot of serious brain damage because of her.
Speaker 1: Cap was abused.
Speaker 2: I mean back then you were allowed couples.
Speaker 4: It was like their business if they wanted to abuse the ship out of each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back then, back then, I'm going to touch moments away. Yes, yes, but my phone.
Speaker 1: Is it's speaking of abuse. Everyone was all excited about this boxing match yesterday. I just didn't care. Once someone said, oh yeah, may whether he beats up his girlfriends, No one even talked about it. Is this the Chris Brown version where you can just do it and that doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: That was on Twitter?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well that It wasn't until the day of the fight on Twitter that people were saying, oh, yeah, he punches his girlfriends.
Speaker 2: They did, and then.
Speaker 1: Patio hates he's like a Catholic guy. So I don't care about either of them. I wanted them to simultaneously knock each other out like Apollo Creed and Rocket.
Speaker 4: Uh well, also, uh, that kind of stuff goes on in sports in general all the time, so I think people get sensitive when each individual thing happens. But uh, you know, as you know, there was like the video of the guy just punching his girlfriend in the elevator.
Speaker 2: It's just then on steroids. Is not good?
Speaker 4: No, well accept it someday. It's not gonna happen anytime soon.
Speaker 1: But the scariest one that I think the guy's going to prison, I'm pretty sure he is. There's this MMA guy he was like called the murder machine or something. He was dating a porn star, of course, but he you she didn't even look like a person. He bade herself severely. It's like, well, he was a scary MMA guy that you look at the picture, It's like, oh, it seems like all.
Speaker 7: He would do is that rolling.
Speaker 1: What are you doing are you doing.
Speaker 2: You can't go in there?
Speaker 3: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that was real screaming.
Speaker 1: So that's okay, that's okay. We may have peaked a little. I'll just go back.
Speaker 2: There's a guy that just rolled in front of us, slowed down and was.
Speaker 1: Going to and now he's rolling away. He didn't like where he slowly went, so he's slowly going somewhere.
Speaker 2: Better the worst, and he's driving my exact car.
Speaker 1: That guy will make you hate a fit.
Speaker 7: Uh oh delta here okay.
Speaker 2: But we oh, here, we go.
Speaker 3: Here, we go good.
Speaker 7: This person's a lunatic to you? Why is everyone crazy?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: That guy's a dick because he's driving a really fancy BMW.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. This is this is a cab oh everywhere and now we're honking. This is uh, you know, lax is just one of these places where I just something happens to me and I get a knot in my stomach. And this is one of those situations where we're we're all, we're late, and these guys that cab I can't even inform a S'm stressed.
Speaker 2: It's really produce stressful. But you know what, then once once we get out of this area, Oh, it's it's like.
Speaker 4: It's almost like when you someone holds your arms down and you press up against them, it feels like your arms are floating.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's it's the classic uh Titanic bow of the boat, or or the calm after the storm, the quiet after the calm. There he is, and uh won't making he's angry. I hope he's not upset. Oh, he's just talking. He's talking to folks. He's almost here. The back is ready for him.
Speaker 7: Is this unlocked?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 1: Indeed, Hello, Joe, how are you hi?
Speaker 3: He is just gonna smash anything.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Is this thing back there?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yes, high friend. I'm sorry you hate to make you wait like that.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm sure it's tearing up inside.
Speaker 1: It's it's I'm I'm gonna take half the blame. I'm gonna take half of it, Okay, Sorry, Karen.
Speaker 3: Earlier I said, I always said, because when I called you answered the phone, you went, we're on our way. I know you are.
Speaker 2: Just letting you know. I'm not happy about it.
Speaker 3: No, I wasn't. I wasn't giving you ship. I was. I just didn't know what lane to stand in.
Speaker 2: Oh, right, because all those people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do. You do have an interesting timetable conversion.
Speaker 4: I am not a punctual person, and you're right. I'm also not repentant really in the least. That's fine, or I would change it.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's one of but it's like, it's like so far down on my list of problems that I have that I just can't It's not it's not a I gotta fix some other ship first.
Speaker 3: That's fine. We you know, we all have our things that we need to work on.
Speaker 2: And you know I love you, Joe.
Speaker 7: I just one of the only one of the only things I do right, Is that true?
Speaker 1: That's one of the only I just I've been patting myself on the back today. I'm just gonna yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: How are you doing? Man?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Pretty good? How are you? Haven't seen you since that night in my house?
Speaker 1: That was a fun night at your house.
Speaker 2: I wasn't there.
Speaker 7: I got to know, Joe. We were that My roommate Nate Craig was there.
Speaker 3: I told you about this, Karen. We left a bar two am.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I had just met Chris, and Nate said, can Chris come? I said sure. I didn't know who he was, and then I was like, oh, wait, you're Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've seen each other a few times, but never really.
Speaker 2: Did you think classical looking embraced.
Speaker 3: After I was close to him in the kitchen, I did, okay, after a few whiskeys in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Right, it takes. That's what it takes for most people. And I when I say, you have to keep the word podcast in there and podcast handsome, that's what I wanted. I want that to meet my new handle.
Speaker 3: Podcast handsome.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's like a classic face for radio. That joke my dad used to say, but it's you know, and I'm going to bail on it. That's my favorite of your dad's old routine. Yeah, that was that, and they all pulling his pants up and falling downstairs on purpose, which he did.
Speaker 2: And can I asked, had you guys done a show together? You were just partying like stand.
Speaker 1: Up comedians like oddly No, I saw you Joe at Cabin when I did in New York. I did Cabin and I was like hi, and then that's.
Speaker 3: All, yeah, yeah, I remember it. After you mentioned that meeting there No the night that we but you mean the night that we hung out? Were we doing a show. Yes, it was.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is why wasn't I invited is that.
Speaker 3: It was the wrap party for riot Fest.
Speaker 7: That's what it was. We had our own rap party.
Speaker 2: Oh I left early.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah no, it was a bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. We ran into each other at that bar. But I didn't get there till like one fifteen, and it was like wrapping up and I was mad because I had to escape reality that I didn't get ship faced, right, So I was like, well, any he come to my house and get ship faced starting now with me and Nate Craig and Chris and James Domian stepped up to the plate.
Speaker 2: That's a nice combination.
Speaker 3: We had very fun.
Speaker 1: It was very fun.
Speaker 3: It was very fun. So I would have invited you had we're up two thirty and we arrived at my place at two thirty.
Speaker 1: And also had it not been a boy's only, no girls allowed party. Yes, sorry, yeah, that's the first thing we did. And it had like a backwards ass no girls allowed, and we flipped the sign. We put it on the front like a clubhouse that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 6: So this is the podcast, Like, what's the this is it? I mean, if your expectations were higher. No, no, no, that's not too late. I just mean like, no, this is it we're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're doing it. Yeah, we don't have much of a format. We're not going to say did you do your prepared topic material? Did you prepare it? I mean, rather see I can't even this is one of the podcast things. A lot of times I can't even talk, you know, depending on how much sleep I've not had, and I didn't sleep a lot last night.
Speaker 3: What were you doing?
Speaker 1: I just I went to the west Side Theater in Santa Monica, and then afterwards. There's two reasons I drink after shows. If the show goes well, I have drinks, and if it goes terrible, I have drinks. So if I do have I have like a mediocre show, I usually am healthy afterwards.
Speaker 3: Well, what was last night?
Speaker 1: Last night?
Speaker 3: I had a good show, So you had drinks?
Speaker 1: Yes? With the other comedians?
Speaker 3: Who what comedians did you drink with?
Speaker 1: They are all there were a lot of west Side It's one of the guys was the guy who runs the west Side Theater, Chris Gorbos who he's like an improv guy. He's a great guy. He was and he did stand up, and it was his birthday and he had he had good jokes.
Speaker 3: That's great, a good time.
Speaker 1: Played darts with some other dudes that I just met. H and H. A guy got in my face. I almost got in a fight and over darts. I walked by. I knew it was dumb to walk in front of the dartboard. He threw it anyway. I stared at him for a while. He was a lot larger than me. I just kept staring at him. I was not smiling. And then I got up in my face. He got his fucking meat hooks on my shoulders. Okay, and I said, hey, I get that. You know I'm not in the mood. I changed.
Speaker 3: Stud good for you, though, good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I stared at it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I did my best at standing up.
Speaker 3: I do that. I do that. I do a stary I run my mouth man like. I run my mouth like a guy's girlfriend in a movie theater does like there's like as if there's like a man there that's going to fight for me. I don't know how I've not had my face beating, and I have a coming to me. Certainly I deserve a good beating at this point.
Speaker 1: At one door, it's been a few years, but it has happened to me where I just realized there is a place for my comedy and there's a place not for it. And the times I've really bombed is when it's in the street and someone is punching me.
Speaker 7: That's when I know I've had a horrible show. Horrible man show.
Speaker 2: Yeah wait, so where were you just now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just pick you up from coming from I was in the great city of Madison, Masson. Yeah. It was a comedy club on State in Madison.
Speaker 1: Great club. I love that. Very nice club, low ceilings, you're in a corner stone walls, smart people, yes, nice town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. Everything was good about the gig. The crowds were good. In fact, I'll take the time now to make a public thank you to the club. Thank you for a great weekend. Great great room, great staff, great owners, great crowds, great shows, great town.
Speaker 1: That's I like that club because a family owns it, like the daughters run it and the parents just kind of I don't know what they do. They show up and support. It's my birthday when I worked there, and they surprised me with a cake. No one's ever done that.
Speaker 2: Nice surprise.
Speaker 7: We knew it was your birthday. And I walked in the room and.
Speaker 4: Because they got your tax information, it.
Speaker 7: Was that's what it is, it's my it's my social security.
Speaker 3: They were there was an amazingly nice club. They have a great in house system where they can record all your shows, which is awesome, and they yeah, the second night or this last night, rather it was. I was like in between shows, I was like, man, I'm hungry and uh, I gotta go get some food. And one of the girls that runs the place was like, oh, I have a bunch of sandwiches coming. Sit tight. She got like this tray of like cater Jimmy John sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, classy, yeah.
Speaker 3: And she's like, come in the office. She like brought me in for my own eating session, which was nice. I didn't have to eat with the with everybody else.
Speaker 2: I just realized I never knew before.
Speaker 4: But that's what I've been waiting for all my life, is for someone to bring me into a private eating sessions everything.
Speaker 7: Let's bring you into our session room. It's just down this.
Speaker 2: Hallway, and this is how much we love you.
Speaker 1: By the way, you will be in here alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Were you ever like on set for something where like I was on set for something once and like the background actors went and got at lunch, uh like when they put it out and then they got reprimanded and they were like, the crew has to eat first. Guys. It's just so bad for the background actors. It was like they didn't know and ye profession was so stupid right now. So I was the opposite of that last night you were the crew. Yeah, she's like, you will eat first that.
Speaker 1: Even though you're looking down on the background actors, it kind of feels good to walk by them and get your food first and then stare at them all.
Speaker 2: I mean, and then eat in front of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do, no matter what end on it, because for them it's motivating. I want to be Jojoho said some day, look at him eating first.
Speaker 2: Look at him eat that sandwich.
Speaker 1: Plus he's making more than one hundred and seventy five dollars a day.
Speaker 3: It's is it one hundred and seventy five a day?
Speaker 1: If that's a good I mean, that's pretty good, right, that would be great. I was on a I was on a Western, so.
Speaker 2: It probably isn't.
Speaker 3: Then, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think it's next so Western I was in in Austin that that it was called American Outlaws.
Speaker 3: It had like, man, that's such an original type.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was soda and it was them bad. It was about Billy the kid ors. I don't know, I forget everything. There was pinkertons in it, and uh, anyway, I the director had only directed flubber.
Speaker 2: That and still that's like a real movie. That's a real movie director.
Speaker 1: And I used his nice clean porta potty because the other one was down by the the extras holding area. It was like one hundred and twenty five degrees. I'm not no, it was one hundred and fifteen. One day they made T shirts. It was one hundred and fifteen degrees. I got bit by a scorpion. Anyway I could hurt. It hurts, so I laughed. I couldn't believe how bad it hurt. I'm like, oh, I'm getting stung by a bee. And then it just got more and more intent and to where I just had to giggle because I don't know what to do when something hurts that bad. I just and then uh, I pulled out, pulled the pants down. They were shooting all of a sudden in the background, someone's yangster pants down. I didn't have period underwear. They were purple, so they had to cut. And then I pulled out in this little, tiny, white scorpion. It was tiny.
Speaker 3: That's bad.
Speaker 1: And this guy crushed it with a rock. He's like, you really have to and I'm like, easy, you're overdoing it. And he crushed it and it was all mangled. We looked away for a second. It had crawled away. They are they are such a weird little prehistoric little guy.
Speaker 3: But then I gots bad. Small was bad with scorpions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I learned that from Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Score.
Speaker 1: Can't you learned from that movie?
Speaker 3: He says that when it comes to scorpions, the bigger the better. Yeah. I believe that that's probably fact. That's what they just made it.
Speaker 1: When it stung me and I thought I was overreacting and scared. I thought they killed you by the way, I was like, well, this is it. The scorpion was just in my pants. We had just been taken off this cattle trap. Horrifying anyway. And then they wouldn't give me benadrail or anything. They're like, you might be allergic. I got bit by scorpion anyway, and then I went to the porta potty and it was flubber directors porta potty, and I almost got kicked off set until I reminded them of the potential scorpion lawsuit. Yes, and then I was fine. That's the end of my long story.
Speaker 2: It was pretty good.
Speaker 3: I liked it. I liked it.
Speaker 2: That made me think, though, but.
Speaker 1: One hundred and seventy five dollars a day, Yeah, that's what we got paid back. Then.
Speaker 2: It made me think Joe was just on better call Saul.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's I want to see that.
Speaker 2: It's so good. It's such a good It's just.
Speaker 7: Can you describe your character on it? Or is it not coming out yet?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 3: I can talk about.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, talk about it. I'm so excited, of course.
Speaker 3: Uh play like a dirty veterinarian.
Speaker 1: Who like a crooked one or an unclean like a yeah, yeah, like filthy veteran. Yeah.
Speaker 3: This prequel series centers more around hygiene than crime. Uh now it's uh yeah, I play like this sort of crooked veterinarian who uh uh. There's a you know, spoiler alert if you haven't seen it yet. Whatever, but like Mike. Mike comes to me and says like he needs me to help him sew up a bullet wound or something, and I say like, hey, man, if you're looking for work, wink wink, and he's like, nah, I don't want that kind of work. And then he comes back to me later and he's like, you know, do you still know those people? Because I need some work. So then they mentioned me in another episode where a guy goes the VET always hires good people.
Speaker 1: That's great, So that's Do you think that maybe because they mentioned you again, it might be a reoccurring thing or you're just hoping, so I hope.
Speaker 3: So it's you know, it's it's one of those shows where everything's pretty pretty under hard wraps, you know.
Speaker 2: So it was so I don't know.
Speaker 4: It was surprising to me though, because a couple key people had mentioned how much they liked it. But I really thought it would blow up on Twitter being a breaking bad sequel or a prequel. So I figured kind of subconsciously something must be wrong with it because people aren't talking about it that much, right, And someone told me like, no.
Speaker 2: You it's amazing, Like you have to watch it.
Speaker 4: It's amazing, terrific and yeah, and from the second the first episode started, I was like, this is like a beautiful masterpiece.
Speaker 3: That's that's it's cool to be part of something like that that people.
Speaker 1: I am not going to watch you on it tonight.
Speaker 3: I'm excited about it. I've I haven't had a ton of acting work, but the stuff I've been in has been really cool stuff. So I feel very privileged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the cool part of getting acting work as a comedian because it's just a yeah, I can do that. I guess that plan me that people strive for and then you get a great gig like that that always Tray and Juilliard dorks never get to do.
Speaker 3: It was the gig. It was the It was the gig that I wanted to go find my acting teacher, one particular acting teacher I had in college and be like, see because he told me once that I was too one note and that I needed to expand whatever, and that basically like really shit on me at like the most vulnerable time in my life where you're like were you going to your teacher and you're being like, am I any good at this? Like do I? Like I don't know, Like I mean, I'm a college kid, like should I keep doing this or not? Because I can't get booked in any of the school plays because I'm not a theater major and when they only book the theater major, so like, you know, you're just looking for any sort of reassuring and stead like maybe you should keep at it. Because the teachers were not all of them, but many of them in my school were surprisingly I'm nurturing.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah, it's the old those who can't do teach thing that I always had a huge problem with that because it's these people that they are loving lording, pretending that they are experts over people who wouldn't know better, when in reality and when you get older, you realize clearly if they were in this small town near my parents' house, they probably weren't that good at acting.
Speaker 1: It was so easy to see. When I was in art school, I had these painting classes, and the teacher they would say, you know, try and critique what I was doing. And it was hard for them because I'd be like, oh, no, I've seen your paintings, they're in your office. You're you're a terrible artist. I don't want to listen to what you have to say at all you do.
Speaker 7: Those weird stretched out horses.
Speaker 1: Blurry, this is your horrible painter, Marion Jorney. Yeah, okay, there we go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny. I was proud of myself that I didn't name you just go there go.
Speaker 1: That was not even the teacher that that's just whose paintings. I was describing the guy, a totally different teacher. But they can all go to help.
Speaker 4: I also just love the note of your two one note where it's like, have you seen any Hollywood movie with any actions?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 2: Canna reeves Tom Tom.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only the only movie you have to be multiple noted for is like a Bollywood film where like you're a villain in this first scene and then you got to break into a song and dance, and then you're then we go to the romantic interloose.
Speaker 3: It's possibly possibly the worst note you could give an aspiring actor is is don't try to try not to be typecast. Yeah no, no, that actually will get you worse.
Speaker 2: That's how it works Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Literally, Oh you mean like that that damn unknown de Niro guy dead in the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so that was there were those were that was like one of my what I would call my sulking credit. You know, I remember I wrote a one act play in college too, and they I wanted to. I mean, talk about a bunch of fucking rights, right, I wanted to. I wanted to produce the one act play that I wrote in the fucking Who Gives a Ship? Black Box Theater?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It would cost them no money. I just wanted, like, give me a week where I can do my thing here your They met about it. The teachers all met and they said no. And they said no. And when I got my when I worked on Without American Summer, I wanted to fly to each of them be like, do you see that I'm a professional writer? Now?
Speaker 1: Fuck you.
Speaker 3: It made me so fucking mad.
Speaker 4: But there are those and I'll be the irritating person who says it. The reason that you're on What American Summer is because those people didn't see what you had to offer and it made it gave you that gas to get you even further.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's your reason.
Speaker 7: I wish my dad had hit me, Yes, I do do.
Speaker 1: Do you know how successful of the comedian I would be if he wasn't so goddamn supportive of my whole life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Karen, you went Henry Rollins with that.
Speaker 2: I meet out with Henry Wallins one time.
Speaker 1: What yeah was that black flag? Henry Rollins?
Speaker 2: It was for a sketch, so let's just actually qualify it in reality.
Speaker 3: Okay, sketch.
Speaker 4: It was when I worked on Zach Alfanakis's talk show for three months.
Speaker 2: And uh, Henry Rollins was a guest.
Speaker 4: I was playing Zach's mother, so they had me like I had like big, crazy, basically fifties mom hair and like a fifties cocktail dress on, and Zach's trying to like kiss up to Henry Rollins.
Speaker 2: And then I come out of.
Speaker 4: The household drunk and like Zack get in hair whenever He's like, mom, sstop embarrassing me. And then me and Henry Rowlans just make out and he like laid me down. We were on the front porch of this house and he literally laid me down like we made out. They finally call cut and he stood up and goes, you've done that.
Speaker 2: Before, and I.
Speaker 4: Was a acting and b just kissing you back, like, don't stand up and call me a slut.
Speaker 1: Guy. He just judges people He's like, if anyone ever had a drink, He's like, well, you do that every day, don't yet, Like he's that's the kind of guy he is. He's a reformed, straight edg G type guy.
Speaker 3: I'm a big Black Flag fan of the of the Rollins years.
Speaker 2: Gets one letter away from really causing.
Speaker 3: A problem black and then almost saying another slur or not that black's a slur, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It depends on how if you're yelling we're.
Speaker 3: In la Ever, you know, and he got everything's dangerous to say out here? Uh uh the uh oh. I tweeted it speaking black, I tweeted, I was very proud of this tweet. At the airport this morning, there was a coffee called Black Thunder and I said this. He plays named one of their bruis after Keith Robinson. Very very proud of that tweet. Simple, simple fun.
Speaker 2: That guy's so funny.
Speaker 3: But I'm a big He's hilarious, but I'm a big HEMO set up a big Keith Robinson fan. I am. I'm a big Black Flag fan, but he is very As much as I want to meet Henry Rollins, he's very I saw a video him once on on YouTube. It's not a very old video.
Speaker 2: Do we stand up?
Speaker 3: No, He's like in the back, this is It's funny you say that, Karen, Because here's the weird part. When he does his like spoken word stand up stuff, he seems like such a jovial, like approachable guy, and he's got a great sense of humory. He makes fun of himself. Then you get him into an interview and he gets like fucking intense eyes and you're like, where did the fun guy go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet.
Speaker 4: That's because he gets nervous and he wants people to take him seriously.
Speaker 2: It's the deadly thing. Comics do the same exact thing the time.
Speaker 4: We're like one ounce of fame or like a paneling on something or whatever, and suddenly the most like airless, boring person in the world because people just want.
Speaker 2: To be taken seriously and they think that's how you do.
Speaker 4: It instead of like continuing to be kind of awesome and real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they tighten up their assholes.
Speaker 3: They have Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: There's a music festival here in La called the Fuck Is It fu F Fest? FYF Yeah, and they have comedy at it, or they did a couple of years ago, and so we were able to go see shows and like stand backstage, which was neat. I really wanted to see Dinosaur Junior and we got to hang out. I was with you, and then so we saw Henry Rowlins, like, oh, maybe you weren't there, because Henry Rowlins was cartoonishly in the background and enjoying Dinosaur Junior, which I didn't expect. I thought maybe they dye Star Junior, maybe would have a history of not being hardcore enough for him to like them, I guess. But he was like dancing, he was smiling and dancing and like getting super excited. He's way into and then afterwards the guy Tyler what's his name, I don't know, photographer, Yeah, yeah, Tyler, the Dan the automator, and with him, Uh, he's taking the photos of these guys. And so I'm just standing there with jam Ascus from Dice for Junior and Henry Rowinds and then and then he goes, what are you doing here, like kind of like why are you standing here?
Speaker 3: What do you want? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Henry Rowlands Jami asks said nothing. He's kind of was creeping me out, but uh, I said, I'm a comedian, I'm doing comedy.
Speaker 7: In the and.
Speaker 1: And he's like, well, I sure would like to do that. It was so weird to me. It's like, oh, you know, you probably could, Yeah, you probably could anywhere you want and you could just walk had exactly know. He was like, well, who would I talk to about that? And I said, oh, yeah, this guy Ryan mcminnim and I could get you his info and then but that's pretty much my story. But I walked away thinking I'm not gonna fucking book Henry Hollins and he can figure it out himself. So I didn't like get them together. Yeah, but he did ask me to be the go between. I guess I'm kind of bragging.
Speaker 2: I think we all are today.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I started it, Yeah, carrying me that with Nary Rollins.
Speaker 4: I always forget that fact and what like what real power that fact wields?
Speaker 2: I never tell anybody. Yeah, that's why I pulled it out.
Speaker 1: And why'd I pull mine out? Because you already had made out with him, Like mine's just a conversation.
Speaker 2: I really listen, that's what podcasting is.
Speaker 1: We're just it's just a content conversation, contest, it's all.
Speaker 2: It's all a contest.
Speaker 3: It's all a contest. I'm thinking about discontinuing my podcast. I'm serious.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure this podcast reminded you.
Speaker 3: Maybe because it just made me think of that. No, because of what you just said, Because the contest, I'm kind of thinking of just stopping it. I just got onto the network, the same network you guys are. Yeah, yeah, and you know I started doing one with Kurt Brownholler. We do it like sporadically and release it through our respective podcast.
Speaker 2: What's that called, just in case, It's.
Speaker 3: Called Emotional Hangs, And it's about it's about Kurt and I as adult man, like basically in real time, exploring our friendship developing, like there's two grown men and vulnerability and like when friends aren't when two grown men aren't scared to be a little vulnerable. So it's fun we talk about like we'll be like you know, like one of the things once was like, you know, you sent me a text Kurt. I gave Kurt a pep talk because he was feeling down the road. Then he sent me a text and he's like, I love you, buddy, And I was like, Kurt, I wanted to say I love you, but two so bad when I was scared he is like, I probably would have made fun of you because I'm not comfortable with it, but I do love you. Like it's stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if with that situation, I feel like I'm being set up, I just get twelve years old.
Speaker 3: I rarely say I love you back.
Speaker 2: But it's a jackass prank where you say it and then they just take that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm I enjoyed, Like when I started doing that, when I was like, man, this is really fun and I feel like there's a purpose to this podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It just made me look at.
Speaker 3: Mine after a year and a half of doing it, and I just kind of was like, oh, christ, who cares. You had to hear me like discuss anxiety.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I did your podcast and I really liked it because you did like you wrote a lot for it, so all the topics it wasn't your average podcasts were like today we're going to Louisville and then it's just dude's talking, like you wrote essays about the topic.
Speaker 2: I thought it was very like pointed and good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I got to get back into doing that. I've gotten like when I had to do solo ones, I stopped, which I started having to do a lot because it's impossible to book guests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh huh.
Speaker 2: When you're late to pick them up. All the time, I was giving no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, I no, please, let's not do this, please breakup.
Speaker 2: You're right on the verge of breaking up again. Joe and I've been going through some rocky times lately.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know you guys were an item. I didn't know that we're like a friendship breakup here, we're a friendship item. Oh.
Speaker 4: I got a lot of people want to be just like us friendship wise, but Joe and I are like I just told this to Georgia Hardstark. My favorite thing about my friendship with Joe, which started because we worked on Pete Holmes show together.
Speaker 1: Oh you worked on that show?
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, yeah, yeah, that's where Karen and I met.
Speaker 4: Joe is the kind of guy that after a party or a hangout, will call you the next day to talk about it, which is my favorite thing to do in the world, and these days no one, even girls, don't really do anymore. It's like maybe you'll get like a text of like that was crazy, or talk about one thing, but like Joe will go over at peace by goddamn peace.
Speaker 2: And it's that's my favorite favorite thing to do.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love that you love doing that. I can always count on you to go down the whole list. And I mean I'm talking about Chris. We're talking about like did you see what she was wearing?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Like? Stuff like that.
Speaker 5: That's what the example throw out. That's shoes, that is all said. You see what she was wearing? What is she crazy?
Speaker 2: I meanwhile, I've been wearing the same clothes four or five years. But I have no problem.
Speaker 1: I want to do it with you. Joe. Okay, the night I hung out at your place, what was up with a Domian just laying on the couch that whole time kind of slouched back. He never stood up there. See that's my example of he didn't do that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I tell you one thing I like about James and James and I are friends, and I would say, I know James about as I talked to you, Karen. I talked to you more. But I know James in the same way that I know you. Where it's like we kind of met doing stand up. Yeah, uh, we haven't known each other time wise, A terribly long amount of time, but you know, like we're friends, you know what I mean. It was like kind of a fast friend kind of thing where I'm like, yeah, I like this guy. Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: He used to live in a house with all the midnight show guys, that sketch show at UCB, and that's I was there often sleeping there because of my my drinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's fine, Yeah, okay, we're pulling.
Speaker 1: And he has these these brothers that are kind of like these o'doyle rules type dudes.
Speaker 3: Hey, no, it's not.
Speaker 1: They're kind of like tough guys. But one of them really looks and sounds like him. And I was on the couch and I thought James had come in late at night, and he sat down and I just I can't remember what I spilled my guts about, and he was just like uh huh uh huh. And I look over and it wasn't James. It was his brother that I that I'd never met before that I just saw I'm almost getting a fight.
Speaker 3: With That is such that is would be such an awesome Seinfeld. I didn't know that I'm the same. They tell him some crazy secret. Oh that's such a good side forral premise. Yeah, The thing I love about James is now I talked to Karen. Karen, you and I talk a lot. James and I rarely talk on the phone or anything like. We never talk on the phone. But I don't see him a ton. But when I do see him, it's right back where we left it off, which I appreciate about. So he will lay on the couch because he's comfortable. That's what it was. He was comfortable. I was pacing around. You were pacing like a lunatic.
Speaker 1: I was what That's what that was about him laying on the couch. Yeah, it's holding up a mirror to my anxiety of having just met a new person. Not knowing where the bathroom was. I remember I had to go to the bathroom. I was too worried about asking. I didn't know how we how I'd get home. It was late. I was intimidated because you have a nice car and I have a not a nice car.
Speaker 3: I don't have that car anymore.
Speaker 1: It was a beautiful I liked that it was a very challenger.
Speaker 3: It was a Dodge Challenger, but it wasn't a good day to day are so I trained it for like a good day to day day to day car. I have a Jeep Liberty Limited Limited. Yeah, and it's very nice, sun roof, windows all around black. It's funny that limited with it's got some good speakers and it's a great like hip hop car. It's a great like West Side Connection car, which I like quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Did you ever drive down to the LBC some drama?
Speaker 3: I got drama. I get all the drama I need in my house. You know, you know I don't need any more drama. I want to go to Compton and go to that barbecue place in Compton. There's like a fame. It's called a just the one. Well, there's one that's like it's like I've been across the board rated the best barbecue place in l A. All the views are like, I'm from Texas and it's the ship.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: I know, I can't think of the name, but I think they have like a sad which that or a burger that is also fifteen feet feet Look at me, I'm not even doing one foot and I said fifteen it's about a foot tall.
Speaker 3: It's about a foot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, towers it like leans over but it was mostly barbecue and it was in a part of la that I felt nervous in. But we had cameras and stuff. It was for that fuel show and we were just talking and they were the Swedish people ever. But I did get sick.
Speaker 3: You got sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it tasted great. I don't know. Some chicken touch some pork.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: They had to be rating. I don't. I'm not blaming it on them. I'm glad I haven't said the name. Yes, a lot of the people there would kill me for a dollar, the employees, but no, it isn't. They They were these German guys that worked in the kitchen. They were Germans.
Speaker 2: Oh they shipped in. Some Germans make barbecue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're racist, Chris.
Speaker 3: It's not the same thing, different places.
Speaker 2: Like I'm talking about them.
Speaker 3: I love a McRib I saw the billboard once and I had to stop and get it immediately. Did you love them ever had one? It's delicious. McDonald's doing a barbecued pork sandwich. I mean, how could it be bad?
Speaker 1: They it's because they pour it into a mold and there's fake the shape like flintstones, cartoonish bones in it. But they aren't bones. They're just like, hey, it's kind of shaped. Like the way you think ribs would be shaped.
Speaker 3: Right, They've fallen off of that thing in recent years. It's more of just like a pork patty now, okay, Uh.
Speaker 1: People got shape probably Yeah, it wasn't fooling anyway.
Speaker 2: It's bones now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a great sandwich.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm devastated about the news of McDonald's is having hard times. I love McDonald's. I will support it till the day.
Speaker 1: Financially they're financially having hard times. Why is that so hard for me to believe?
Speaker 3: They lost? Their profit margin was down, Like it was an insane I'm pulling a number out of my astronaut, but it was like literally like three hundred million dollars or like they're there are like thirty five McDonald's locations that are gonna close.
Speaker 1: Why why is there a reason for it?
Speaker 4: Are people generally I think going so people are just starting to realize they're killing themselves. I mean it's such a people are really unhealthy, I say, being one of the leaders of that group. Uh like that that food is so awful. It's not just like standardly bad of like I shouldn't eat this. Yeah, fried chicken sandwich it's like they put sugar on their French fries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're fucking so good.
Speaker 2: They are so good, and they're so good at like two thirty in the morning.
Speaker 1: Well, that's similar to Walmart in that everyone leaving a McDonald's, I notice has the same limp. They're all like walking oygen this kind of the sugar in my ankle is making me limp again, type of a.
Speaker 3: It's it's a brilliant it's a brilliant business structure. Like I've I've discussed McDonald's at length with people and how it's the only food. I don't know if you've noticed this, but I certainly have. You can pull it apart with your tongue. You can pull it McDonald's burger apart with your and it's like here you go. Anybody at any age, with any amount of teeth can eat this and it's still delicious, and.
Speaker 4: It always tastes exactly the same, exactly the same.
Speaker 2: It's the Starbucks thing. Why Starbucks is so popular.
Speaker 4: People just want to know what they're going to get so they can make the informed decision of like, Okay, here's five dollars, I'm going to get that exact same cheeseburger every.
Speaker 2: Time, and you know what, shit stop laughing at.
Speaker 1: There's the vision of someone's tongue out and using it as a cutting tool. I didn't. I guess you could put a burger.
Speaker 3: You could like dumb it. You could like rip it off and dumb it and then like pull it apart. So funny though it's I always say it's cartoon food. It literally looks like the Hamburger's like that Wimpy Eats and Popeye cartoon.
Speaker 1: I always was jealous when they like take a bite out of chicken and they just bit far enough into the drumstick that they would have hit bone. But it's cartoons, so it's just a thing all made with that chicken handle.
Speaker 3: That's why I always get the turkey leg at Disneyland. That's what that's like.
Speaker 4: That's a huge The visual of people walking around with a huge turkey leg is so hilarious.
Speaker 1: Powerful though. It's like when you have a turkey leg that size, you feel like you're you could someone to death.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Smith, It's like you have wronged me, kill him, and they just kill it. Court Jester.
Speaker 3: Here's the other genius thing about McDonald's. You can't recreate it. You could sit home all day and try to make a quarter pounder. It will never taste like a quarter pounder.
Speaker 1: Right, you don't.
Speaker 3: Recreate a whopper. I do not like a whopper. Shit on the whopper. But you could recreate something that tastes sort of like a whopper at your house, like enough like it where you be like, okay, but if you want a quarter pounder or a big mac, you better go get a quarter pound or a bit.
Speaker 4: And you've got a degree in chemistry on there is like it's like different ways they've invented new versions of MSG essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they had there's like scientific measurements.
Speaker 2: I mean, if.
Speaker 3: There is a video from Canada, I don't know if it stands for all McDonald's, but they're like, oh, pig slime, Eh, here's how we make the McNuggets and they like take you through every step and then it's all like regular stuff and you're like, Okay, that doesn't look so bad. But I mean maybe it's fake or maybe it's just in Canada. That's how they do it.
Speaker 2: I just in Canada, they care about people's health. They get up.
Speaker 1: Front and they're like, hey, you want some cigarettes. Well, here's a picture of a burnt baby. Yeah, on the side that was barn smoldering within its mother. It just came out barren. Their cigarettes are very powerful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I never understood the burnt baby thing. Yeah, the the hell is happening with the I don't get that one.
Speaker 4: Is it just like the visual is supposed to upset you enough to not want to smoke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you smoke, this can happen to your baby, and it's like a whack.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They in Canada, they they and it is half the carton. They're like they have to. And it was the same with their chew, which I unfortunately sometimes I chew. They they exactly there's a line and half of it. It's like marlborol cigarettes. Enjoy it. And then there's a picture of a lung that's just shriveled. Wow, And it's a huge ad for cancer.
Speaker 2: That's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is.
Speaker 7: I you know, I still bottom it didn't affect Yeah.
Speaker 3: I used to love that Dennis Leary joke where he talked about how they would do that and he was like, let me tell you something. You could have cigarettes called tumors.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: You need the thing that's in them. It doesn't matter what's on the package.
Speaker 7: I wonder if Dennis Leary still smokes.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he does.
Speaker 2: I wonder if and Clay still smokes over his own head.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he's still in his arm and you know, now they's become kind of a guy. If it's arm is still able to do that.
Speaker 4: He's Actually he quit smoking because his hand couldn't reach his mouth anymore.
Speaker 3: He was doing a thing for a while where he was like on stage with like an unlit cigarette.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I would love to see him at the comedy store like tonight, just vaping on with a vapor was very modern.
Speaker 3: It did bump me out. It's like, yeah, it's not It's like, oh, ice Cube June twenty seventh, at the Stables.
Speaker 1: In sit I would love to gether that.
Speaker 2: I love him so much.
Speaker 3: I love him too. He looks furious in that picture.
Speaker 4: I used to have dreams about him coming and rescuing me in weird places all the time.
Speaker 2: It was very strange, very it's weird. It was pretty cool.
Speaker 4: One time I was on the side of a cliff and then he just like swung in I think on a helicopter.
Speaker 2: It is the best?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Was he angry?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Angry?
Speaker 2: Is it getting here girl?
Speaker 4: And I was like, yes, I will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not talking about that.
Speaker 2: I just I want to keep some things to myself.
Speaker 1: Well, you know you write a song about how ice care was always saving you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one time it was in the ocean. Yeah, there's kind of nothing better that I do. Someone's saving you, but not like I'm not treating you like a victim, like almost like giving you a hard time as.
Speaker 1: I'm going to write that song with you. Okay, you can have like the different dream scenarios and then it's easy. You can just use some of his lyrics.
Speaker 2: I didn't have to use my I K.
Speaker 1: Because I mean, you could go hackey with it. But I think you more. I look that that was one of the few times where I like, I get a little jabby. That's that's not my style that I don't and I always apologize and I take it.
Speaker 3: I can and I have to, But come on, does anybody else always find this guy with the violin on the side of the thing is Tom Green? Every time I drive by, I'm like, why is there a huge picture of Tom Green for a Yeah. Yes, now, that's so funny and perfect. The idea of ice cube rescuing you, that's so funny, it's perfect. I do it, and you're right, it's It's what makes Indiana Jones so great is because he's like yelling at the girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, yes, it says people.
Speaker 4: It's like, there's nothing hotter with people who don't have time for your bullshit.
Speaker 2: That's like the.
Speaker 1: Best, that's the best, and that's that's ice cubes thing.
Speaker 7: He does not even if even if it's a.
Speaker 1: Family comedy favor and he's rowing in a river with his family, are we there yet some movie like that? Those eyebrows, he's still still mad at his kid and.
Speaker 2: The power trying.
Speaker 1: Still doesn't have time for that ship.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 4: I just was gonna say he uh. My favorite thing ever is he was being interviewed on Craig Ferguson.
Speaker 2: That's how long ago it was, and Greg.
Speaker 4: Ferguson first asked him if he knew where Michael Jackson lived.
Speaker 2: No wait, first made.
Speaker 4: Him watch video of Craig Ferguson doing layout, which is one of the lamest things I've ever seen. It wasn't for a joke. It's like check this out. And then it was just like he threw the tape of him doing layup.
Speaker 1: He played basketball in Montana.
Speaker 4: And then the second thing he did was ask like an ice Cubes like what do you think of that?
Speaker 2: And ice Cubes like just kind of shrugged.
Speaker 4: And then they kept on talking and then he was like Michael Jackson, He's like, where do you live? And he said West Hills or where he lives. He goes, yeah, doesn't, uh, doesn't Michael Jackson live out there? And ice Cube goes, man, I don't know, and he was like super pissed one.
Speaker 2: Oh made me so fucking happy. He just like yelled at his interviewer.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. Did you ever see the Jimmy glick? Ice Cube?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: That's probably my favorite Jimmy glick. He goes out, he goes, you put on this tough guy image. He came in the green room before the interview. You're doing Petts in there, and he goes and you insisted on the dance bar there had to be.
Speaker 2: Was ice Cue just staring at him like he was.
Speaker 3: In on the joke, and he was like he was playing it like as if it was like making him angry, but you could tell he thought it was funny. He wasn't actually.
Speaker 1: Angry that he did when it was like Wayne Gretzkyer and was all excited about. But ice Cube was there and that's what I was excited about. And he had the green room, right, you know that you have your little waiting rooms, and he I really wanted to meet him. I didn't realize until he walked in. I like started rocking back and forth and I was like, Okay, I'm gonna and he just looked at me and I saw those eyebrows and I just turned around. I didn't I was scared of him.
Speaker 3: Me scary. I'd love to meet ice Cube, Yeah, I know, And I fucked it up. I met ice Tea.
Speaker 2: How is that?
Speaker 3: Oh you can say your thing first.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, it's every time I've ever met someone I actually really wanted to meet. It was so insanely disappointing. Yeah that it put me off.
Speaker 2: I like from Afar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's better you get to keep all your illusions and they you don't have to see them be a douchebag, which is usually.
Speaker 3: What they do, lived up to it. I will say he I was really high. I was in college. I was an aspiring rapper. Were yeah, I wanted to be a rapper, and uh, I just I was. I went to see him. He did like a college circuit tour where he spoke the colleges and it was they were. It was awesome. He was. He was awesome at it because he like came out and he was like, let me tell you all right now, two things. If you're sending in fended by words like shit, pussy, fuck, bitch, dick, get the fuck out right now. That was this opening thing. And then yeah, and then he like broke down why none of those words are curse words. And he had a great argument and he got this applause break I remember, and then he was like, and do me a favor when you write your reviewing the paper tomorrow, don't fucking say I was well spoken, because what you're saying is I was well spoken for a black man.
Speaker 1: Oh fuck you.
Speaker 3: And like he was. He was so just like this is what I'm doing. Go fuck yourselves. And then he just told like some stories about about like his coming up in like gangs and like his years is like a pimp and like getting into the record industry, getting out of jail, like going to the army and then like all these opinions and social commentary things and blah blah blah blah. But anyway, I wanted to meet him since I was a kid, because he made me want to be a rapper when I was in like sixth grades. So I was like I had to run around the whole building afterwards to find him because they were like trying to get him out like quietly. I finally found him. I was really high, and uh, all these guys were giving him like demo tapes and stuff. Yeah, he was being accommodating like yeah, but like I and like he just like finally like turned to me and like looked at me, and he's like, what's up, man? And I was like and I was like shaking. I swear to god, I was almost crying. I was so like worked up because I'd waited literally like fucking over ten years to meet the guy. Yeah, and I was like, I'm not gonna give you a demo tape or anything. I don't I don't want your help with anything. I just want you to know that your your power. Album changed my life and you're the reason that I you're the reason that I want to be a musician. Man, thank you so much. And he just he shook his head. He goes, that's what's up, do it? Man, Get out there and bank some fucking hands.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, He's.
Speaker 2: Like all right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And then he turned to this other Kuy and he was like, we're trying to hit a strip club. You guys wear strip club.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the best. And that's the ninety met Coco.
Speaker 4: As a single, tear of joy rolls down Rose's cheek.
Speaker 3: That was back when like something you know, I was I don't know, twenty or twenty one. I mean, that was back when something like that could keep you high for like, hell yeah, a week.
Speaker 1: What's that pre or post probably body Count?
Speaker 3: It was way after it.
Speaker 1: I kind of didn't I held body Count again. I was really excited for body Count, but I don't know, I wasn't into it.
Speaker 3: Sorry. I love the first body Count record.
Speaker 7: Cup Killer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that we get even cup Killer.
Speaker 3: You know, with the risk of sounding provocative or whatever, I think if you listen to cop Killer as a song from the standpoint of not somebody saying let's go kill cops, which is not what the song is about, but from the standpoint of somebody, like a protest song from somebody that grew up in the projects talking about like I'm tired of like getting the shit kicked out of me. You know, in that light, it becomes like this like black Flag like awesome, Like I love that.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I'll play it, but I need to get a tape player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you listen to it with half an over mind, it's so obviously talking about corrupt cop like yeah, yeah. It was like one of those things where people turned it into well.
Speaker 1: It's just hard not to compare it to the fact that he plays a cop on TV now, so that right, and my memory of it, it's like contradictory.
Speaker 4: But I think it was the same time as like the Tipper Gore parental guidance bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they started getting really like we've got to crack down.
Speaker 1: She's single handedly ruined vaip hop for me. I loved murder rap. You love what murder rap? Like the Ghetto Boys and everything where they graphically talked about not just killed, they've talked about stabbing people like horror movie type killing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have a song called Mind of a Lunatic where they talk about corps fucking in it and I'm like, these guys have taken it all. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what part of Houston they live where it's okay for a midget to murder children because he's the same height as him on Halloween of all nights. But yeah, there's a whole rap.
Speaker 3: Song where, uh, I don't want to cover that, there's a well mind playing tricks on me. Bushwick Bill talks about like his whole verse in the song is about how he went out and robbed kids for candy or folloween, and then he talks about how one of their dads comes after them to be like, you're fucking with children, stop it, And he's like, and then we beat the shit out of your dead. And then he's like we I came to and nobody was there with me, and I was punching concrete. Yeah, and it wasn't even close Halloween, and I was my mind's playing tricks somebody. I like this song about being like delusional.
Speaker 1: I like him When he goes a murder contest, you know I'll win it because then every mailbox, there'll be ahead with a knife in it. Now, you're really putting out a message there, if you're decapitating people leaving the night, putting it in a mailbox, putting the flag up.
Speaker 7: Let's talk that you've won the murder talk.
Speaker 3: My favorite get it was there?
Speaker 1: Yes please?
Speaker 3: Uh Josh Bill is a song called size Ain't Ship, where he goes contestant number one, come on down because you ain't winning ship but a root canal when I throw the fucking right cross and bust you dead and your goddamn mouth. That's a great bit.
Speaker 1: I like the cartoonist ones that barely make sense. At one point, Bush goes dead Heads and frog Legs cake Mix. I know, so he's so badass the dead Heads again, it's dead Heads. I think it's right after the mailbox from Chucky. Both those well yeah, yeah, I guess I really like that, And then they use samples of Chucky the doll from Child's Play and children Screaming. It's a soul song about the worst thing you can do is let me, uh like, babysit your kids.
Speaker 3: I'll teach them how to act.
Speaker 1: And if they ain't acting right there, Dying to Night ain't no use in you trying to stuff it.
Speaker 3: He's got a song on their third album or on their fourth album called Number It Is. But they're have an album Caul Till Death to his Part, and there's a Bushwick solo song on that called Murder Avenue, and it's just it's just like really really graphic murder stuff. And then at the end of it, he's like, he's like, don't get mad at don't get mad at the product. This is a work of art. Get mad the inspiration. This was inspired by Jeffrey Dahmer, and like he just like, so it's cool.
Speaker 4: Really he's the one who did it.
Speaker 2: I'm just talking about he speaks.
Speaker 7: He has a disclaimer at the end of the song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he and it doesn't it doesn't sound like he's saying a disclaimer, but he's like it's clear like his way of just being like, look, don't give me any ship.
Speaker 1: He probably did that because of it.
Speaker 3: But I I used to I still I'm still a huge Ghetto Boys fan. Like I mean to got back together a few years back. I was really excited as well. Yeah, I Willie d follows me on Twitter and it was like one of the greatest days of my life. He does an advice column for Vice Now really wow, Yeah, and he's like it's it's for real, like a deer abby, like fucking that's great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's my f I wasn't that into Andrew w K. But I love that he does that. He like gets passionately.
Speaker 1: People write him letters and like I'm fifteen and I'm having this problem and he gets way into it and writes these long are the ones that you end up reading. Who knows if he has it all da? I like, yeah, yeah, he's like a motivational Is he like.
Speaker 3: A straight edge part like life is my high? Or does he party?
Speaker 7: I don't know that's a party.
Speaker 2: I think he drinks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I must write well certainly during that album.
Speaker 1: I think that the Bloody Knows picture was from like party and then being drunk and fighting.
Speaker 3: I did a Fox News show with him once. He was really nice.
Speaker 1: Oh that red eye thing. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I met the guy from Guar before he died on there. I meant a lot. I met the guy from the Vandals. I mean a lot of me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that odorous ungus he was on Uh. I worked on a show called The Daily Habit on fuel, and he's on panel and he was wearing his costume and they it's hard to wash that. I guess it's just like rubber coated foam, but it's like a spacesuit and he's a monster. But his real human testicle was just hanging out during the whole panel. And I swear I could specifically smell that his suit smelled in general like bo but his nut was there. And I'm talking about a guy who died, so I'm not making light of his life or his death, but his nut. I've never seen a testicle hang that low. I've never seen him a person so relaxed like it was hanging out and I was looking at it, and I like, he has to know. It was just like resting on the stool he's sitting on. He just didn't give a fuck, And that guy was his nut was.
Speaker 3: After he did his interview on Red Eye, he got up and there was blood speckled all on the desk where he was sitting that I believe had come from his mouth. I don't know what that was. Again, he did die. I'm not if it was related to his sickness. I'm not yea, I kind of took it more like he probably just said bleeding gun.
Speaker 1: He's a rock monster. Yeah, he's gonna bleed, He's gonna have his nuts out. He's a monster.
Speaker 7: He was a monster, but he was so funny.
Speaker 3: He was quick, hilarious.
Speaker 1: It was like a panel thing you watch videos, and he wrote written jokes for it, like when he didn't have to use our jokes. That was That was rare that even comics would show up with their jokes written, kind of like at Midnight. They have writer and then they're like, here's the jokes and they're like, well, I'll do that joke. That's better than what I wrote. They said, My friends work on that. They said, barely do comics even use their own jokes. But I thought I'd bring it all to a screeching hole by making it real, making it real and personal. But yeah, odorous young guests.
Speaker 3: I love the people that watch like the like I like ad Midnight, but I like the I love the fact that there are fans out there watching it that are like, they're like they are coming up with this right and the air. These people are so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even people in my family like my dad, they they it's amazing that, Yeah, this place it's an art thing, and then she's adding art to their art.
Speaker 3: These fucking dipshits have been out here and droves taking picure and every fucking more on like that girl that was just dancing. I think they're the first person to do like some kind of like video or like, yeah, picture in front of it. It's like, asshole, you're gonna spreads in like a week and they're all gonna be the same.
Speaker 1: It's funny. It's true because I took a picture of that when I saw one night leaving el said and I said, look at that. Someone whitewashed that whole building, including the trees in La on sunset, there's this It looks like it used to be a hotel or an apartment building. It's been abandoned for like fifteen years. And someone with a Christmas tree flocking or something like that. I know it. They didn't paint the palm trees, because for a while I was like, that's kind of fucked up. You killed a bunch of palm trees. But it's all white and it's an art installation. But I that night I took a picture. I put it on Instagram, and I'm like, this is gonna get some thumbs, some hearts and the yea and everyone they like the entire Instagram fee. It was everyone else taking pictures of it too.
Speaker 2: So now it's been there that long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a been a few weeks so that. Yeah. But and now everyone's doing doing a dance.
Speaker 2: Like a you know what, why do I ever? Why would I fall for that?
Speaker 4: No one's ever doing anything cool independently of some like, oh they're about to post this someone. Yeah, yeah, I just thought we drove by a girl doing a cool dance.
Speaker 2: But of course, of course not.
Speaker 3: It's all ship in this town.
Speaker 1: Well I'm that way too. It's like, oh, we should go do this. I think of a funny thing, and I'm like, well, we're gonna film it, right, I'm not just gonna do that memory was I'm not going to remember that if I did it. Anyway, This was so fun.
Speaker 4: We just pulled up in from your house. Do you do you have anything to plug?
Speaker 1: That was perfect?
Speaker 2: Gets posted tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Well, my podcast down with Joe de Rosa. If you don't quit, subscribe.
Speaker 7: To All Things Comedy.
Speaker 3: Yea, all Things Comedy. I'll be in Houston. I mean, I'm sorry, I'll be in Toronto at the Comedy Bar this Saturday and Sunday, and then I'll be in Houston the following weekend at the Improv. So come out for that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds good. That sounds great.
Speaker 3: Can I kick it? Monthly Hip hop review comedy show with Al Jackson Tone Bell myself at at the Meltdown once a month. The next one's June. Nice, I guess that's it.
Speaker 7: You should try and get the ghetto boys of your show in Houston.
Speaker 3: Is that where they're Yeah, yeah, they're from fifth Word. Scarface still lives there in move because well, because that's the new Scientology building. I'm not kidding that car. No, that's what that is. That's what this massive structure is. Yeah, they built the new one right near the old one. It's like, I don't understand, You're going.
Speaker 1: To be across the street from them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm right across the street. Anyway. My scale, my new scale came in the mail and I'm excited about it, which tells you about where I'm at. Side and try it.
Speaker 1: All the same. I need to get a mirror for the same reason. I'm like, I've let myself go. I'm never looking at myself.
Speaker 3: Nice to have a good scale. I look at a good scale.
Speaker 2: Joe, You're you're the best.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what's fun. You've been listening to Do you need a ride? D y n A r