Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fastion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The clearing House of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhey as we are bloviating the weekend away. It's the Fifth Hour with Ben Mallor and Danny g Radio because four hours a night are not enough eight days a week. And Danny, this is our final Friday in September podcast. Here the twenty ninth day of the great month of September. We are alive and well, I think right alive and well.
Speaker 3: Yes, I can't believe how fast the month of September went by. It felt like the Packers getting blown out in the first quarter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, my favorite part of the Packer game last night. There's several favorite parts, but did you happen to see who led the Green Bay Packers out to the field like General Custer? This is It's hilarious. Little Wayne. Little Wayne led the Packers on the field to fall behind twenty seven to three.
Speaker 3: Sports guy from Undisputed right.
Speaker 1: Think, I think that's it. Yeah, that's the ticket. That is the ticket. But yeah, al michaels a lot of filler time, a lot of filler time in the second half of that game. So on this the Friday Podcast, as we have just proven we're actually doing it on Friday, we're not. This is not some kind of deception or mind act unless we just happen to get it right. Maybe we just guessed and got it right. And I also guessed Danny that I'm on Saint Brown. Pierre Sayt was it? I'm on Saint Brown, right, Pierre st or I'm on Sire whatever. The first time he did the lambell lead for the Lions and somebody poured beer on him.
Speaker 3: So he got squirted. It looked like a stream of pe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it wasn't a full And the way I look at it, if you're gonna pour beer on someone, that's an expensive item. But if you go into the crowd, that's the fans domain. That's the fans domain there. And if a fan goes on the field and then you happen to get tackled. That's the player of domain. So that's that's the way I look at it. So on this Friday podcast, we have give me liberty, or give me malor the tech rain delay the word we can. If we have time, we'll get to some other up. But I think that's probably all. We'll have time for it. But you never know, right, Danny Niver was the magic of the podcast. We're not bound by the guard rails of terrestrial radio.
Speaker 3: It's like a porta potty audio version. There's always flow over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you know, you gotta clean around the toilet because there's you know, a little little stuff there anyway, all right, So interesting opportunity came up this we can talk about things behind the scenes here. We do the life of mal or the Life of Danny g on Saturday Tomorrow's podcast, but today being Friday, So I had an interesting thing that popped up. Now. I don't know if this ever happened to you, But months ago I agreed to do something and I completely forgot about it. Have you ever done that? Have you agreed to do something and then when the time comes, it was so far out in the future that you forgot or you know what I'm saying. And so this happened, and I had agreed. I had gotten a call from an old friend of mine who used to work at Fox Sports Radio, and he's like, hey, you know, I want you to speak. I'm you know, I'm a professor, and I want you to speak about your career and broadcast. And I always love I always love these chances. I don't get to do this very often. You know, most people don't ask me to do anything. But this guy he asked me. And he called me up maybe three four or five months ago, it's a long time ago, and he said, hey, can you do it? I said, yoh, you know, that's way in advance. I don't normally. I don't normally book things way in advance. And he said, I really need you to do it, and I want you to. I say, okay, I'll do it. So this is way before I got the television deal with NBC, so I didn't have that on my plate. But I go by the code of the West, and part of the code of the West is when you make a promise, you got to keep it. Yeah, that that's just the way it works. Deal is it deal so earlier this week, I changed my entire schedule around. I really messed with my bodyclock. I went to bed at a time I normally don't go to bed. I woke up at a time I'm normally sleeping, had the early wake up call. I got out of bed, I put some clothes on. I walked down. I put the water in my face. I walked out of the room, down the hall. I made a turn. I went down another hall. I then turned. I could have gotten right or left. I went facing forward. I went to my right. Then I went into to the studio and it was light, camera action and Danny, I can now reveal the rest of the story. Give me Liberty or give me Mallard. I was the keynote speaker at a broadcast class for Liberty University about broad radio, broadcasting and podcasting and all forms of media. I spoke for about forty five minutes or so.
Speaker 3: That's in Florida, right two Live crew always used to rap about Liberty.
Speaker 1: Well very close or Lynchburg, Virginia. You know, so yeah, yeah, so do you know? I wonder if you know this guy? Do you know Steve Stillwell? Do you remember the name Steve Stillwell, I do. Yeah, he worked at our place. So Steve Stillwell was one of our engineers and stuff, and he left Fox Sports Radio years ago. And his wife got a great job as a college not just professor. I think she's like higher than that. I don't know the hierarchy in academia, administrate or there you go. Yeah, yeah, so she got a great job and you're set for life and all that. Anyway, it was our friend Steve. We've went with her, and he's the sugar you know, sugar. She's the sugar.
Speaker 3: Mama and he's the sugar baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sugar baby. But he ended up getting a job here at Liberty University, and so he reached out to me to do it, and so, uh so I spoke for like forty five minutes. These people, these kids had no idea who I was. And the boy they looked young, Danny, they looked pretty young. I was like, you all are in college, you know, I'm looking at the camera. I'm like, you're okay anyway now. But they seem to enjoy what I thought was a pretty heartfelt, passionate soliloquy. Big word at this time of the morning.
Speaker 3: I hope to use smaller words for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I looked it up. I I the only thing I had heard about Liberty University was that they had Malik Willis, the backup quarterback for the Titans, went there. Oh okay, well he actually went to Auburn and they transferred to Liberty, and they had a pretty well known coach who I don't think is there anymore like a football coach coach? But then I did some digging and turns out that the Liberty University was founded by an infamous figure of the past of a televangelist, Jerry Fallwell. Remember Jerry Fallwell. He passed away.
Speaker 3: Years ago, but yeah, he was always in the middle of drama.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, big time drama when we were younger. But Evangelical University in Virginia. Some of the other alum other than Malik Willis, someone who's a sportscaster who blocked me on social media is on there. Sam Ponder from ESPN. She went there, she got upset with me. Were you with me when that happened, Danny, I don't know if you were with me or not.
Speaker 3: I think so because you always used to ponder about how her husband got a job in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why would you even ponder passing? We did lame Jokes of the Week, which we've done it for many, many years, and Sam Ponder's husband, Christian Ponder, was a subject of many jokes and some of the guys from Minnesota. I remember. I think it was Hotel Ryan from Duluth Alf. Maybe he can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but we had a guy named Hotel Ryan that used to be a regular caller who worked the overnight shift at the hotel there in Duluth, and he would call us up and he thought it would be funny to send Sam Ponder all the jokes that we were reading about her husband, and he thought it'd be a funny gag. She apparently did not appreciate the comedy value of the jokes and she got offended. And I didn't even follow her on Twitter or whatever, but she blocked me.
Speaker 3: So that was that she was proactive with your ass. And I see some notable alumni here Seth Curry, did he? And Rick Boles?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Really? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I didn't see that. I saw here's one that you'd like, an old baseball player. This guy was part of one of the most infamous moments of Barry Bonds. Was it Barry Bond? It was Barry Bond's career. Yeah, it was Barry Bon's career. Sid Bream, Oh okay, wasn't Sid the guy that pirate?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Well, he was a Dodger pirate, But I think wasn't he the guy that Bonds couldn't throw out? Remember? I thought he was with the Braves. Am I wrong on that?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll have to check that. But yeah, by the way, I looked up Seth Curry really fast. He played college basketball for one year at Liberty University before transferring to Duke.
Speaker 1: Oh, I did not know that. I did not know that, Sam, I am Oh, yeah, I am right. I just looked up. So Sid Bream he played with the Pirates, got traded to the Braves. I think he got traded of the Bridge. But he played for the Atlanta Braves against the Pirates in the National League Championship Series.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And Sid Bream about as fast as a turtle taking a nap, and Barry Bonds couldn't throw him out. And it was at that time it was like a big deal, right, It was like a big deal because you know, Sid Bream was so slow and very but that was before Bonds was known as the ped guy and then that whole thing. And yeah, he batted three hundred of The Braves defeated the Pirates, the first NL team to win the Pennant after finishing last place the year before. There you go, fun fact about Sid Bream who in which which geame? I forget which game it was that he he did not really important. We're getting carried away on a tangent.
Speaker 3: It's funny because he was one of the baseball cards that stood out because of his name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, yeah, nineteen oh, here it's right here. Nineteen ninety two National League Championship Series Game seven, Braves won the NLS Pirates NLCS and the most famous moment of Sid Breams career. In Game seven, Pirates had a two to nothing lead, bottom of the ninth inning. Bottom of the ninth inning, the Braves mount to comeback. Pirates left field eventual NLMVP Barry Bonds fielded the ball that was hit by Francisco Cabrera. Third string catcher Francisco Cabrera Bonds fields it, fields the ball. Sid Bream again as fast as a turtle, taking a nap and he runs as fast as he could toward his home plate. Barry Bonds throw slightly offline, bounced on the way and Sidbream got in there, and some fans called to play the Bream curse as the Pirates have not had any success since that, so hey, I think we've we've gone out of Sidbream fun facts. I think we're done. It's a good ten minutes on that. But this week in fact, today, today's the day, this being Friday, this week's episode of Benny Versus the Penny, Week five in the can. It was sliced and diced and edited and it is available distributed by NBC. It's available in most major markets. It changes from city to city, so check your local cable listings. I will tell our friends listening in Boston and throughout New England that it is locked in at the seven thirty pm Eastern primetime slot on our flagship NBC Sports Boston. And if you're not in a city that gets Benny Versus the Penny on regular television for some reason, you can get it on direct TV Fubo TV as well, which is a streaming option. They got a lot of cool stuff on there, so this week. A quick synopsis of this week's edition of Benny Versus the Penny, A challenging edition. Why you asked them East. So it started out normal, as you know most things do, and then one thing let do another. So I arrived rather early, rather early, Universal Studios, and Holly would uh And I got there, went to my little boardroom and then crossed the hall from the studio we use and I was prepping and I was by myself for a couple of hours. People started coming in to work on the show. The crew showed up, they had their call time. I got there way before then.
Speaker 3: And then Looney showed up an hour after that.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah. In fact, Looney showed up so late I thought maybe he had decided that he wanted to just miss this week's show, and I would have had to do it by myself. We were thinking about calling you, Danny out of the bullpen and getting you to ride over there and uh and and filled in for Looning. But I was We did a live table read. We do this before, like this live table read with Looney, a little walkthrough, so that is time to record. And this is the part of the story with the plot thickets So I'm all dauled up in makeup, and I got my Mike uniform on for the show, got the hat, got the blue sweater. And it turns out that we got a bit of a surprise. The forecast did not call for a tech rein delay, but sure enough, I thought this only happened in radio. The Gremlins attacked the the feed and I don't think I'm speaking out of school here, the feed that we use because we do the show. We're remote in a studio in La Universal Studios, but the show is produced at NBC Sports Boston, so there's a whole team of people in Boston that put the show together. Producer, director, people that have the graphic and a lot of people. It's much more than radio. It was just a couple of people, and that's it. I'm already, I'm all miked up. I have my i FB in my ear, and I'm like, okay, I've got I've been got over this. I have everything ready to go, and so I've got stuff in my head. I've memorized some thoughts I have on all these games, and let's do it. Let's do it, Let's knock it out. Get the hell out here. So they turn on the cameras, turn on the lights and all that, and uh, I'm looking over at Looney's monitor and They're starting to freak out. Looney's camera was blurry, blurry. Only my I was fine, by the way, My little camera in my studio was fine. Looney was was blurry. And I gotta tell you, Danny, I was okay with that. I'm fine, but I look better than Looney. I'm good. H It turns out that they actually have standard over there, the National Broadcasting Company, and Loney complained. So we had then another group of engineers that then came in out of nowhere, and then they were working on the issue. So essentially we were all dressed up with nowhere to go because we were at the mercy of them fixing the issue on the satellite hookup, and so they came in, they're resetting things. They're like, we're getting it. We might need another device to connect everything, but we don't know if we have one or where we have one, but we don't know where it is, and the people aren't here yet because of the time, so there are a lot of issues. Then the green screen, this is in my studio, the green screen, which is behind me there it started hiccupping, so the graphics look kind of kind of weird. So by this time I'm like, okay, you know that, Andrea these Sorceress is right. There's a full moon cosmic event, so this happens around the full moon.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, up, and this is where you do a call in on the phone lines and Eddie co hosts the show.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, and I recommended that so we could get to get out with the show. They said that's probably not a good idea, and so we didn't do that. And by the time they fixed everything, we had been sitting in the studio pretty much roasting on the hot lights for over an hour. Now. Needless to say, even though we're both professionals, as you know, Danny, because you've been broadcasting a long time, the enthusiasm gets a little softened, right, Yeah, the gung hole ready to run through a wall like the kool Aid Man, and that's just not there. So fortunately Vinnie, our producer, gave us a little pep talk kind of wake us up, a little bit of smelling salts and and the show I think turned out pretty good. It's really up to you who watch it. I really do appreciate if you do take some time to watch it. It's gonna be on all weekend. And now, Danny, when you go, when you go do your thing, which I guess we'll talk about later, but I'm gonna ask you a favor, so we'll they we'll get that on Saturday podcast. But I would advise you we do have a Taylor Swift reference, a Taylor Swift reference, and I may or may not be dancing. I may or may not be dancing in this episode of the show.
Speaker 3: So I feel the ratings plummeting as you explain that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let me know what you think and hopefully you like it, and whether you like it or not, if you watch, I get credit. I am such a radio loser. Time now for the Word of the week. Are you ready for the word of the week?
Speaker 3: Word of the week?
Speaker 1: Word of the week is a tribute to someone that has been a great nemesis, a sparring partner for me. And if you've been a supporter of the show, you've been part of the Malard militia, which you're clearly next level. You're listening to the podcast, so thank you for that. We had a great battle with one of the great entertainers of the last few generations. It was the Malar Militia versus the Trekkies and William Shatner back and forth social media battlefield. One of the most surreal things that has happened in my time at Fox Sports Radio. That a global entertainment icon someone I used to watch when I was a kid. I watched Star Trek when I was a kid. My dad loved Star Trek. We used to watch and this guy got into it with me, got into a pissing match with me and our show bats with Shatz. Yeah, one of the great things spats with Shatz and so in honor of William Shatner, who is like a hundred years old now, the word of the week is the word that William Shatner. Let's see if Dan, I'm going to put you on the spot here, Danny. So this is the word that Shatner said to me before he blocked me on what was then called Twitter. We had a back and forth, We had a falling out. Do you remember what he said?
Speaker 3: Checkmate?
Speaker 1: That is it? Danny ding Ding ding ning Ning You win the showcase showdown. Congratulations Danny, Yeah.
Speaker 3: He said show history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good job by you. So checkmate is the word of the week. Now. It's obviously known as a chess move said of a king when it is in check and cannot escape it. It's from Old French from the fourteen hundreds, mid fourteen hundreds. Uh, there's also an Arabic word and a Spanish word the king. They think it's actually taken from Arabic and Spanish words. It meant the Arabic word meant the king died, and there's a misinterpretation of the Persian word be astonished. And I mean it's a combination of a couple of words mixed together back back in the day. But I'm not a chess player. But if you played chess, you know the king does not die. Even I know that at the end of the game. And so the explanation is there was an explanation that was given here that the word, again the Persian version of the word meant something like the king is left without a way to escape, without a way to escape, and that is believed to be the why there's confusion. And so that's the The origin goes back to the fourteen hundreds and they updated the meaning of Checkmate in the late fourteen hundreds, and to thwart or frustrate, which is the appropriate usage by William Shatner.
Speaker 3: I'm in command.
Speaker 1: I could order this right, I mean, that's the appropriate usage. He frustrated me, and he thwarted me by blocking the show. But that night, when Shatner was on a flight to Germany, I think you were with me, Danny was.
Speaker 3: I was. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a top ten moment in the history of the show. Because William Shatner is on a cross country across transatlantic flight from la to Germany for some Star Trek convention or whatever the hell he's doing. He's on the plane, he's using the Wi Fi on the plane, so he's on social media. Yeah, so we found out he was awake, So we start encouraging people to say hello. Say because I was blocked, So say hello to Shats for me. So what does William Shatner do.
Speaker 3: He feverishly started blocking any in every Mallard Militia member who crossed his path. The problem was, he did it so ferociously that he accidentally added some of the Mallard Militia members as his friends.
Speaker 1: Yes, William Shatner was so scattered a scattershot shats that he ended up. But he was following listeners. And I'm getting screenshots from guys working you know, the overnight desk at a gas station or a hotel, or people that are working at in a warehouse, you know, in in Missouri, and they're like, Hey, I got Shatner follow me. He's got yeah, Danny. These guys are like, this is the greatest thing ever to happen to these guys. I mean, I don't disagree. This is TJ f and Hooker, you know, this is s Our Trek, this is all the other ridicul you Boston Legal, all the all the other shows he's been on. Was he on Boston Legal? I think he was.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know. My favorite was TJ Hooker.
Speaker 1: You're a t R a TJ Hooker guy.
Speaker 3: That was a young Heather Locklear on that show and not.
Speaker 1: Bad too, not bad to look at you know. Shattner is ninety two. How about that ninety two? That's good run, right. He's been given all kinds of honors all.
Speaker 3: Over the world.
Speaker 1: Canada is a proud Order of Canada Guy, the Pride of Montreal. William Shaddy but again the word of the week. The word of that week is checkmate. All right, I got to get out of here, Danny. Anything you want to promote? It is Friday, a day of rest. I of course afford myself out doing television with Benny versus the Penny, so I'll be pretty active on social media as I desperately beg people to watch my fledgling TV show so I can get more t But what are you up to today, Danny?
Speaker 3: I have one foot out the door right now, big Ben, because I'm about to hop onto the one O one Freeway and make a bee line to the Burbank Bob Hope Airport as Covino and Rich are going to be broadcasting live from the T Mobile Arena. That's where the big Canelo fight is going to be against Charlow on Saturday. So we're going to be doing a live broadcast from their radio row there Friday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Nice. All right, that's fun. I had not been to a fight in many, many years. I used to love going to the fights. We'll we'll have to talk more about the fights on the on the on the Saturday Pod. Then all right, listen, have a great Friday. Thank you, for supporting the podcast. I appreciate so much more than you know. You mean a lot to me by just by listening, just by downloading. It's great. I have a wonderful day to day. Remember we got original audio content all weekend, new podcast every single day, Saturday, the mail Bag on Sunday, and we will catch you next time Later.
Speaker 3: Skater gotta murder, I gotta go.