Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Hold On to the Zites, Hold On to the Trendories. That is courtesy of the Brew on Discord and one Richard Mark.
Speaker 2: Is he related to Carl Marx?
Speaker 1: Yeah, his work is heavily informed by the theory and teachings of Carl Marx. I'm jack that over there. Well, that is Miles Gray.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean do you remember his sophomore album Dos Capital was a fucking heat.
Speaker 1: Hit man, very controversial.
Speaker 3: I just remember that song when you sang that, I was like, I only know that part because it was always on those like commercials at midnight that were like get all the greatest hits from the eighties and seventies on one and you just get like just say a song, yeah, and it's like.
Speaker 1: Oh no, and a black void playing the piano, yeah, with just the greatest eighties hair of all time.
Speaker 2: And what's the other one is like black beam?
Speaker 1: That is just fully that song doesn't exist outside of those commercials as far as I Yeah, oh my god, now that Miles, that is what I call music.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you so much. Suproducer Victor came in with that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Uh, should we tell the people. What's trending. Obviously, the w GA, the Writer's Guild, is on strike. It's on strid ike, you know, getting fucked over by the corporations that are in chart that own the content that we watch. So, uh, you know, show solidarity with them anyway, you can.
Speaker 2: Don't scab and start writing for one of these shows. Listeners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. Yeah, we talked about them more on tomorrow's episode. But another thing that might cause me to strike outside of Starbucks is they're gonna start charging people for no ice. What to charging people for ice?
Speaker 2: What the fuck is that?
Speaker 1: I don't don't know, something an employee said, but I get I guess the idea is that that causes changing the workflow and it's less filler, so you get more of what you're after.
Speaker 3: Like when I'll go to a place that has like lemonade and shit like that, they do it good. Whenever I see people putting half the like the sixty percent of the cup is ice, then I'm like, no, no, no, I want no ice.
Speaker 2: I'll ice stash it at home. Yeah, that's how I get down.
Speaker 3: Oh, so they're trying to come after the people who like us know how to.
Speaker 2: Try to get all yeah, yeah, yeah, we're volume hacking.
Speaker 1: I mean they see me coming from a mile away. I walk in with my pockets just packed with ice, and yeah just be like no way, sir, and take a big gulp and then just start dumping it in. Get some gum wrappers in there. But yeah, worth it.
Speaker 2: That's fucked just man, fuck that place forever. Just come on now.
Speaker 1: They're the best, hey, speaking of they're the best. But he is said to be headed for bankruptcy. Couldn't hand a better cup. As we talked about their hiring philosophy revolved around the twenty two rule. Hire twenty two year old, pay them twenty two thousand dollars and worth them twenty two hours a day. Am I right? Bro? We are progressive and cutting edge.
Speaker 2: And not racist or misogynist at all at all.
Speaker 1: Read any component hender is literally Gavin McGinnis.
Speaker 2: No, I mean yeah, but he left.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Their whole thing was the fashion dos and don'ts. That was like they had the fashion dows and don'ts. Everybody loved that.
Speaker 3: We should have known he was an issue when like one of his like more viral videos was and he was talking about like Gavin mcinness was talking about why he needs a beard, and he was just screaming about his weak chin, and I'm like, there it is, folks, there it is, y'all. This is this is the future of American masculinity right there.
Speaker 1: At least he's honest about that. Yeah, Drake like honesty, Drake like vulnerability.
Speaker 2: He should have been crying about his week chin.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Oscars have announced sweeping reforms of campaign rules in response to the Andrea Riceborough controversy. I don't know. Yeah, this movie was seen by so few people. I don't even know if I'm pronouncing that correctly. But she was nominated for an Oscar for her work in a movie that I have definitely heard is good, but nobody saw it, which is usually a disqualifying factor when determining if something gets nominated for an Oscar. But she's like, has a lot of big A list friends who might you know, be wrapped by the same people as her, and they were throwing parties behind the scenes trying to get people to vote for her. It worked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's again.
Speaker 3: I think at the time, I was likening it to arrest a development when Tobias is trying to get a job like on TV, and he keeps pretending to like.
Speaker 2: Get the buzz about.
Speaker 3: It's like you hear about this Fumeke guy was like what to get the whisper buzz going?
Speaker 1: It was that if Gwyneth Paltrow was the one doing the Whisper buzz, they.
Speaker 2: Funk ate her way to a fucking Oscar nomination. So I like that.
Speaker 3: Now they're basically like they're like, you can post on social media, but don't tell people how to vote. Don't start ranking people's performances and saying this is better than that, or how many times you can host a fucking private screening for people for their consideration. So yeah, she got away with that one, but luckily she did not win.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, this is uh, like the rule about like not telling people how you voted. I don't know, maybe maybe that makes more sense when you know how like maybe people just copy off of other people's ballots or something, but that just seems like it's gonna be hard to like work around or I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think the biggest thing is they want to prevent celebrities from using their platform or like these bigger named actors and other people to just be like, this person is amazing, y'all need to consider them.
Speaker 2: And they're like, yeah, we're not doing that anymore.
Speaker 3: Like you can shout people out, but not not as aggressive as this whole like pr campaign was.
Speaker 2: It was pretty pretty aggressive, pretty pretty pretty pretty aggressive.
Speaker 1: Treasury Chief Janet Yellen says US risks default as soon as June first without debt ceiling increase. Yeah, this is basically the Republicans holding the country hostage at this point.
Speaker 3: That way they can take away all kinds of fucking like like less.
Speaker 1: They're like, we need less money for the VA. You're like, what the fuck socialism? Yeah, the veterans.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's definitely you know, this is this is what happens when they tell you. They've been saying they're gonna do this from the beginning. So I don't know why people are fucking shocked when like they get there and they're like, we'll fucking do it, man, We'll fuck the economy up so we can like, you know, cap this spending from Joe Byron, which is.
Speaker 1: Only an issue when Democrats are in.
Speaker 2: Office for one of them, they don't talk yet. Again, it's it's it's just what it is.
Speaker 3: The debt ceiling will always be like a political football based on who's in power and this, that and the other.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, all the normal people will have to suffer because then if like the economy goes to ship and people start you know, laying people off.
Speaker 1: M yeah mm hmmmm, but that wouldn't happen. Not not in America. Not in America. Dude. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back.
Speaker 2: Now, we're back.
Speaker 1: Now, we are back. Then YPD wants us to bug our own cars. They're offering they're offering us the technology. They're like, hey, who wants some free uh air drop things?
Speaker 3: Their tags. I'm glad you don't know what they're called, because fuck those things. Yeah, I mean they look they can be helpful if you lose your wallet, But then when you see people like use them so cynically, you're like, oh, you're tracking.
Speaker 2: An X with that now, yikes? Dot com.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: But I guess this is all because this has been a thing, right, because it's all from that TikTok shit that went down where people were showing viewers how to fucking exploit like the Hyundais in Kias, so you could basically start the car with a USB cable and shit, and it's had such an effect that apparently, like some insurers are like kind of bristling at insuring Kias and Hyundai's because they're stolen so fucking easily.
Speaker 2: And so Eric Adams.
Speaker 3: Is like, hey, look, I know these cars are fucked up and not easy to protect. So we got free air tags. Y'all want one, right, and we can track you. We'll track you, just won't. We won't track you unless I get stolen. Okay, does that sound good deal?
Speaker 1: Car thefts are spiking, and I think the fun explanation that the local news wanted to use was the that it was TikTok's fault. But it also probably has something to do with rising prices on cars, yeah, which makes it harder to buy.
Speaker 3: Let's not point out the fact that it's dumb as shit to have a car that's so fucking useless in terms of like protection of it from being stolen. That then the next thing is like, well, then we should surveil everyone, not what about your dumb fucking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these corporations did not make it so easy to steal their cars. Let's blame the Kia boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the at Kia boys or the problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, super des or. Brian's pointing out his twenty year old truck does not have this problem. Also, another thing that people are doing is leaving their key fubs getting in their cup holders.
Speaker 2: One of my friends does that. I was like, what the fuck you're doing?
Speaker 1: Yes, Jesus Rice.
Speaker 3: I mean not on purpose. It's more like casual. It's like, oh, yeah, I forget all the time, but like it's fine, and I'm like, no, it's not because you can open what. Yeah, I don't know, man, I think people get things too easy. I'm over here like clutching my keys.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you'll never fucking know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll never know where I store these at night.
Speaker 2: I hide them all over town.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I don't even know of one hundred different holes dug in my backyard and you'll never guess which one.
Speaker 2: He's Okay, well we need to go to the store.
Speaker 1: I can't even know which hole it's buried in.
Speaker 2: That's how good this system is.
Speaker 1: So then ypd's handing out five hundred free air tags to help residents track their cars in case they've been stolen. They specifically said, help us, help you because have you seen this movie, this new movie Jerry Maguire, Oh yeah, I love a hot new movie.
Speaker 2: Hey, my grandparents are in that.
Speaker 1: They are that blew my mind.
Speaker 3: If y'all want to see my grandparents, watch the scene where fucking Cuba Gooding Junior gets hurt in the Big Game.
Speaker 2: And then my grandparents watching the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my grandmother and grandfather are like Regina King's like parents or something.
Speaker 2: Oh, girl, don't worri It's gonna be all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. It didn't blow my mind because you know, like I fully expect you have the most interesting family. But I just didn't realize that those weren't real people. I didn't know that. I guess that's when I found out about actors.
Speaker 2: And the magic, right right, Regina King's parents are there. They really can't.
Speaker 3: They're not two people who are retired with nothing to do. And one of their sons got really worried they'd be bored, so then got them into doing background work because it is a way to.
Speaker 1: Stay out of trouble. They were really good though, Yeah, class a they're iconic.
Speaker 3: They were like the old black couple, Like if you need an old black couple. They were they were in deep impact. They were blair underwards like family do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, shit was good.
Speaker 1: We probably don't need to say. Voluntarily helping the NYPD two surveill you seems like a bad idea. They're also a for the for the cars that inexplicably don't take them up on this. They've also just announced that they have developed a pneumatic gun that can fire a sticky GPS tracker at a moving vehicle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this comes in a few different forms. There's this gun that looks like a fucking grid aid launcher and it's like obscene. Like the whole point is like you just need something to launch this dart like at a car. And then they have another one that's built into the grill of cop cars, right James Bond, And you can like activate and like launch the thing to like track the car, like if you're close enough behind it and it just like shoots it out right at the fucking back of the car.
Speaker 2: But is that being used properly? Are there are there less chases?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 3: I don't know, because like with like LA right now we're having the same conversation where like the LAPD's policy, like people like you should not be chasing after like stolen cars and shit, it's just dangerous, right, and like, well, we're gonna we'll.
Speaker 2: Look at our policies.
Speaker 3: I know, like on paper, it's caused a lot of fucking problems and accidents, but you know it's that property that's stolen gets our cop boners going.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, that's the most The worst thing that can happen is damaging property in this country.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And finally, Adidas is getting sued from investors who claim that Adidas executive knew about the problematic behavior of Yay before they dropped him, which them dropping him had massive impacts on their sales. Apparently, his gear account for ten percent of Adida's annual revenue, which has a big company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a ten percent fucking deficit.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: I don't know who, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe you could sign Drake's little son or something or push it to you. I don't know, I don't know how you do this. But it's also so funny that they're like they knew about the like yeah, everybody.
Speaker 1: Everybody from there talking about They also like made the decision super late, right, like they were the last brand they were holding on for dear life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just don't make us do this. I mean, you know, it is what it is. And I think you know, people know that the roots of the company were you know.
Speaker 2: Card geting Nazis, so it.
Speaker 1: Isn't it is interesting that they took so long to uh wait after he was like Hitler was great and you know, I'm just saying all sorts of wild anti spoor.
Speaker 2: Is Like, I mean, the founder would agree with that if it isn't the spirit of this company. Addy Dossler loved the fure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's named after Audi Dossler, who Adolph Dostler. Adolph Dostler, who was a card carring Nazi. Yeah, people are like, but he wasn't as bad as his brother, who founded Puma.
Speaker 2: Was just like like, okay, it's just.
Speaker 1: Like two people who like created half of the shoes in the world. Uh, and they were both Nazis, but not anymore.
Speaker 2: They moved on.
Speaker 3: They don't they don't run the company anymore, but we do like to keep this their spirit alive when we kind of turn a blind eye to people's Nazi rhetoric. But it's just wild now because they have so much stock that they're trying to figure out what to do with and like does it unbranded or whatever. And I think that one of the first unbranded like yeasy shoes is gonna come out and it looks like a shoe you'd buy, like, oh, that's like a knockoff without the branding on it. You're like, oh man, watch cried here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So hey, well those are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday May second. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Fight bye.