Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Congress officially launched a major round of hearings into the events of January sixth, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: June teenth for Trump supporters, the day when.
Speaker 3: White people visited the Democracy Store and demanded to speak to the manor Jah.
Speaker 4: And by the way, they're still arresting people for this. You may not know that, but they are.
Speaker 3: In fact, just today they arrested a guy who's running for governor of Michigan because he also stormed the capitol. Yeah. And you know, that's definitely going to change the whole course of the election because now we know he's going to win the Republican nomination.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can't do that.
Speaker 3: And this is this is a new experience for a lot of these white people, you know, all of a sudden, they're finding out what it's like to be on the bad side of the police. And it turns out they do not like it one bit.
Speaker 5: The January sixty minutes are being treated differently on a whole nother level. They are denied religious services, haircuts, shavy, the ability to trim their fingernails. Imagine a group of men being held in jail with no idea of when they're going to go to court, no ability to bail out, no ability to see their family.
Speaker 2: If you're Peter Navarro, they will literally pull you off of a plane, shackle you, and throw you in the brig.
Speaker 6: I want help in leg irons, I wasn't allowed to call a lawyer, No food, no water, solitary confinement. Illegal aliens to al Qaeda terrorists were treated better than I was.
Speaker 7: They actually followed them in the car to the airport to make a scene in a handcuff.
Speaker 4: The why would they do that?
Speaker 8: It actually puts an exclamation point on the fact that we have a two tier justice system. If you're a Republican, you can't even lie to Congress or lie to an FBI agent or they're coming after.
Speaker 9: You can't even lie to Congress or the FBI without them coming. You realize he's just stating the law, but in an angry voice. You can't hit pedestrians and drive away.
Speaker 10: You can't even sell another man's kidney on craigs List. And if you're still your neighbor's dog and sell it back to them for the money, it's also not allowed as that's America.
Speaker 4: That's America.
Speaker 3: It is wild that Louis gomeover here is complaining about not being allowed to light to Congress because he's in Congress.
Speaker 4: Why does he want people to lie to him? Why would you want that?
Speaker 3: I feel like he must have asked someone for their honest opinion at some point and then gutten it.
Speaker 4: Tell me the truth.
Speaker 10: Do I look like someone three D printed Elmer fudd?
Speaker 4: Wait? I changed my mind.
Speaker 1: Lie to me, lie to me.
Speaker 3: But yeah, as you can see, many many Trump supporters saying that they be oppressed and they're just learning how tough the justice system can be.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean Taylor Green. You hear what she says.
Speaker 3: She's like, can you imagine a group of men who can't pay bail and can't see their family? Well, you don't have to imagine it. America's already got the largest population of them in the world. And then, just so we're clear, it's so clear. I'm glad the people who storm the Capitol are being held accountable, but I don't take delight in the idea of them experiencing the shitty side of America's criminal justice system. Yeah, so, Marjorie Taylor Green, I hope you keep this exact speech ready for the next time Black people in America are complaining about the.
Speaker 4: Exact same thing. You don't even have to change the words. You don't even have to change the words.
Speaker 3: It was wild that they've been treated like this for like five minutes, and all of a sudden they're like, it's.
Speaker 4: A two tear system.
Speaker 8: The like.
Speaker 3: It's so hard being a Republican in this country because I was always waiting for them to go into are like a white Negro spiritual and you know, it's just like oo goal to the whole foods.
Speaker 4: How guten in tolerance is getting.
Speaker 3: Me anyway, Conservatives are not learning that interactions with law enforcement don't always end well, which means they're gonna have to have some hard conversations with their children.
Speaker 11: As a Trump supporter in America, you already know that cops treat people like us differently.
Speaker 12: We can be profiled and misjudged any time, just trying to overthrow a free and fair election.
Speaker 11: That's why it's time for us to have the talk. As a Trump supporter, it's important to remember that law enforcement is always out to get you.
Speaker 4: You can be targeted solely because of how you.
Speaker 11: Look or what you chant or who you're assaulting with a flagpole.
Speaker 12: How many young and middle aged men have already been arrested just because they tried to vote for Trump one.
Speaker 4: Too many times and then stormed the capitol.
Speaker 12: And then posted on Facebook for some reason.
Speaker 11: And they'll use anything against you, your skin color, your politics evidence.
Speaker 12: If you so much just think about overthrowing the government and then actually attempt you. There is nothing anyone can do to protect you.
Speaker 11: Well, unless your husband is like on the Supreme Court.
Speaker 12: Sure, so, first rule, always listen politely to the police. Don't freak out and call them bullies or fascists until after your booked on Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 11: The bad news is that if they do arrest you, you can expect the worst kind of abuse. They'll put you in handcuffs, take you to the station, and put you behind bars and then lock them. These are things no criminals should have to suffer. And now they're openly throwing around.
Speaker 4: The word trader.
Speaker 12: Yeah, with a hard r.
Speaker 11: You know, every time I see a young man being hassled by police for smearing feces on the walls of Nancy Pelosi's office, I think that.
Speaker 4: Could be our sun.
Speaker 12: He is a sweet boy, and we're proud of him. He is a proud boy.
Speaker 11: So that's the way things are. And hopefully the next generation of Conservatives won't have.
Speaker 12: To have this because there won't be elections exactly.
Speaker 3: The January sixth hearings finally came to a close with the Committee putting on a two hour primetime show, which they hoped would finally convince the nation that President Trump was hashtag problematic, and because this was the last episode, they did.
Speaker 4: Not hold back.
Speaker 13: The prime time finale for the January sixth committee lived up to its billing, the committee presenting what may be its most damning evidence to date, highlighting the one hundred and eighty seven minutes between President Trump telling his supporters to march to the Capitol and when he finally told them to go home. Trump spent much of that time at the White House watching the violent assault unfold on TV and refusing to publicly condemn it or call off the mob.
Speaker 3: For hours.
Speaker 12: Trump ignored please by his aides, members of Congress, and even his own daughter to call off the violence as it unfolded before his eyes.
Speaker 14: The prime time event pended the clearest yet of how former President Trump waited until it was clear that his supporters would not be able to stop the certification of the vote before he made any attempt to call off the angry mob.
Speaker 7: As he was gathering his things in the dining room to leave, President Trump reflected on the day's events with a White House employee. President Trump said nothing to the employee about the attack. He said only quote, Mike Pence let me down.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Trump watched everything that happened on January sixth, and his biggest problem is that Mike Pence let him down by I guess, not being hanged.
Speaker 15: He said he was my ride or die, but when I asked him to die, he wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: What a loser.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the main takeaway from this hearing is not only did Trump do nothing through three hours of the best TV he watched, but he only finally spoke out once it was clear that the coup had failed. And everyone knows that move right when you act too late, as if you wanted to do it, but you don't. It's like that thing you do when you go out with your friends. You know, you'd be like, oh, let me grab the check. It's like we left the restaurant twenty minutes ago.
Speaker 4: Oh ah, well, too bad. Next time I got you, I.
Speaker 3: Got to you.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you want to be really generous, you could say the reason Trump didn't do anything on January sixth is because maybe he was in shock. All right, I mean, we've all tweeted crazy things. But if I tweeted I'd kill for a mac reb and then my followers burned down McDonald's, I wouldn't know what.
Speaker 4: To do as well.
Speaker 3: But it turns out that even on January seventh, Trump still had to be forced kicking and screaming into condemning the megamob and conceding the election. And the only reason we know this is because the committee released the outtakes of his speech, and they are hilarious.
Speaker 16: I would like to begin by addressing the heinous attack yesterday, and to those who who broke the law, you will pay. You do not represent our movement, you do not represent our country. And if you broke the law, you can't say that. I'm not going to I already said you will pay. The demonstrators who infiltrated the capital have defied the seat of dust. It's defiled, right, see, I can't see it very well.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll do this.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do this.
Speaker 16: Let's go it. But this election is now over. Congress has certified the results. I don't want to say the elections over. I just want to say Congress has certified the results without saying the election is over.
Speaker 4: Okay, but Congress is.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I didn't say over. So let's let me see. Don't go to the paragraph before, okay. I would like to begin by addressing the heinous attack yesterday. Yesterday's a hard word for me. Yes, good, take the word yesterday, because it doesn't work with his attack in our country. Say in our country.
Speaker 4: I want to say that.
Speaker 16: My only goal was to insure the integrity of the vote. My only goal was to ensure the integrity of the vote.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie. I'm torn on this. I'm torn because yes, yes, him refusing to say the election is over, that's damning as hell, all right, But the rest of the stuff, I mean, it just seems like someone who's struggling to read.
Speaker 4: You know, no, I get it. I get it can happen to you.
Speaker 3: You don't get happen and sometimes you try to work with the camera and you I understand.
Speaker 4: That, I understand, But what I will say.
Speaker 3: Is really funny is how he says he can't say yesterday but says yesterday.
Speaker 15: He's like, yesterday, I can't say yesterday. Yes yesterday's earlier. Nobody can say yesterday. What is that worse trash? Yes, media, you see, you can't say yesterday. You can't say you can't say it.
Speaker 4: Was that thing. By the way, that was funny. I've never seen him do that. It's like a sassy Trump.
Speaker 3: But really the parts of the clip where Trump refuses to say the election is over, that is bad, right, and very optimistic, because say what you want about the man, he does not give up. He was a football coach, he'd be in the locker room like, okay, team we lost by thirty points and the other team is already gone home, which means the end zone is completely unguarded.
Speaker 4: Time to run the board.
Speaker 10: Fellas, get in there like yesterday.
Speaker 15: I shay, yeah, I share, yeah, I said your word.
Speaker 3: Now, the committee didn't just expose the president for throwing a Trump Trump tramp Trump Trump tump traum.
Speaker 4: Now, that's hard. Can we change the guys? That's hard? That's hard Trump trip. They also took a moment to.
Speaker 3: Reveal that a lot of the bravado that we've seen from far right Republican lawmakers wasn't actually how they felt while the patriots were ransacking the capitol, And one person who really got dragged was Missouri senator and pro storming the capitol Republican Josh Horley.
Speaker 2: The Committee highlighting Missouri Senator Josh Howley's actions on January sixth.
Speaker 4: As he entered the Capitol.
Speaker 17: As you can see in this photo, he raised his fist and solidarity with the protesters. Later that day, Senator Holly fled after those protesters he helped to rile up storm the Capitol.
Speaker 12: See for yourself the committee room erupting in laughter watching Holly run.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry, but the January sixth Committee should be ashamed of itself.
Speaker 4: They had no reason to show this.
Speaker 10: They just wanted to embarrass the sentence of the United States.
Speaker 4: Wanted to embarrass the man. Huh, why just because he ran away like a little bitch.
Speaker 1: I mean, what did he do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he raised his fist and he egged the crowd on. But is that a reason to show him.
Speaker 3: Pissing his pants on national television?
Speaker 17: Huh?
Speaker 4: Isn't a crime to be crying and.
Speaker 10: Running away from the mub that you riled up. Oh, he's such a bitch ass. Let me tell you something. That bitch ass thought the mob was gonna kill him.
Speaker 4: Is that funny to you? This grown man running on his little gazelle legs they're doing to die? You think that's funny? Grow up?
Speaker 3: So sadly, that's it for season one of the January six hearings. But good news, good news, it's already been renewed for season two that drops in September. Yeah, and like any good series, they're leaving us with some major cliffhangers. Will they find the Secret Service deleted text messages?
Speaker 4: Will Liz Cheney and Adam.
Speaker 3: Kinsinger finally realized the love they've been looking for.
Speaker 4: Has been writing in front of them this whole time?
Speaker 3: Will we find out that Steve Bannon was the source of monkey pocks Ooo?
Speaker 2: Last weekend, the Trump Freedom Tour comprised of Don, his son, and a caravan of folks looking for book deals competitive Mississippi, and I was curious who was shelling out the nine to four thousand dollars for a ticket to see the show. Much of the country was watching the revelations coming out of the January sixth hearings, and surely these politically engaged folks were also tuned in and you guys been watching the January sixth hearings? Um, No, have you watched any of the January six hearings? Not really? I had a bar up and change in phones. But good what I change funds? Are you watching them? No? No? Why not?
Speaker 1: Well a time?
Speaker 2: You don't have time to watch a two hour hearing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: How long are you here today until five until five? Which is you got here at I got here at seven seven, which makes it for ten hours? Right, but the two hour hearing? Who's got time for that? Ship? Most were paying no attention, and yet there were some pain even less attention. What about what happened on January sixth? What do you think what happened there? I don't really know about January sixth. January sixthy the election day? No election day was back in November, do you I don't even know what do you know about January sixth?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: So when I say January sixth, that means just nothing.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's just a day to you. Yeah, did you hear about the the interaction attempt at the Capitol. No, No, for almost everyone here, insurrectioning was a non issue. It was the hearings themselves that were the problem.
Speaker 1: I think it's an abomination.
Speaker 10: It's just mcarthy zoom.
Speaker 2: It's a witch trial, to which hu it is. Yeah, a mob of people coming together with pitchforks, yeah, saying and we can't have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with a with an agenda. Here's the narrative we're pushing.
Speaker 17: And that's all we're pushing is our narrative.
Speaker 2: A mob of people with an agenda, pushing an agenda that can't stand in America. No, we should have an investigation about a mob of people. That's something everybody would watch.
Speaker 1: That absolutely.
Speaker 18: Oh, Nancy Pelosi, she start is very responsible for what went on. Then she planned it.
Speaker 2: She planned what happened, I believe. So why did she plan to get attacked by a mob of Trump supporters.
Speaker 18: Because she wanted to be able to blame it. I'm the Trump supporters and have something bad.
Speaker 2: To say about them. Shouldn't we investigate that? Yes, she must be watching the January sixth committee. No, so what was it people were watching?
Speaker 18: Two thousand mules came out and you showed a lot of stuff.
Speaker 16: You've got two thousand mules, and then this movie on two thousand mules.
Speaker 2: Two thousand mules, Yes, two thousand mules is a documentary by Denesh D'suza claiming massive fraud based on some cell phone data and surveillance footage that's been lauded by Trump, laughed at by Bill Barr, discredited by fact checkers, and banned from even right wing media because of its unfounded claims.
Speaker 16: You know what, if you turn on Fox News, I have never mentioned that movie once.
Speaker 2: Somebody's pulling the strings? Who do you think it is? U It may be Obama? You think Obama's pulling the string? Source you think it's possible that Fox News doesn't mention two thousand mules. Your theory there's a giant conspiracy up on top of which they don't do it. Or the second theory is that movie's not credible. I know the movie's credible. Maybe sharing some of the committee's findings would break through this MAGA bubble. Rudy Giuliani was drunk the night of the election, and it was partially his idea to deny the election results.
Speaker 1: But I haven't seen that. You're the first source I've gotten.
Speaker 2: You haven't heard that at all that Rudy was drunk that night.
Speaker 1: It's an election at night. I wouldn't be surprised if anybody was.
Speaker 2: So you trust a drunk Rudy Julian.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying I trust a drunk Rudy Juliani.
Speaker 2: The question is, have you trusted yourself for other individuals that you were with under the influence of alcohol. I totally have. Then what's the difference I am not the commander in chief in charge of the United States, doesn't matter. Well, I think that's a I think that's an important detail. If no one was willing to turn on the hearing, I decided to bring the hearing to them. I first shared testimony from Trump's own acting attorney general dismissing Trump's claims a voter fraud.
Speaker 10: I told him that the stuff that his people were shuttling out to the public were was bullshited.
Speaker 2: Like I see it. You just can't be up three hundred thousand votes and then lose. But that's Trump's attorney general. Does that sway you at all? He's turned on it, He's been paid by somebody. He shut his mouth, and everybody knows like fraud. No, no, he's saying the opposite. He's saying that in the opposite. Yeah, he's saying there wasn't fraud. That that's bullshit and to make you kind of change your perspective and your assumptions. It does. Yeah, if you're not going to go in there right now, you are going in there right now to see Donald Trump speaks. Yes, okay, cool, well, good productive chat. What's your response there?
Speaker 3: I think it's true.
Speaker 2: You think Bill Barr is right because he's talking about the fact that the election was stolen. It's bullshit. Yeah, for sure. So he says it wasn't stolen.
Speaker 11: Oh no, no, no, you.
Speaker 2: Don't believe that. So who do you trust? Like Trump, Trump's family? I trust, I trust Trump. I trust Avanka, Yeah, I do. I think she's very smart and very intelligent. Let me show you this is what she said.
Speaker 4: How did that affect your perspective about the election?
Speaker 8: When Turn General Barr made that statement.
Speaker 5: It affected my perspective. I respect Attorney General Barr, so.
Speaker 18: I accepted what he said was saying, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, that's not anyway.
Speaker 2: You don't believe she act he said that? Did she say it?
Speaker 4: On Twitter?
Speaker 1: It almost don't even look like her.
Speaker 2: You don't think that it could.
Speaker 3: Not be here.
Speaker 8: It might be one of those would they get cloned out there these days?
Speaker 2: You think that you think that was a clone. It might be an Avanka clone. I take my friend. It's almost like you're confronted with it and your brain just does some results to figure out there must be some other, some other reasons that she looks. She does look scared, almost like she's she's been caught. What do you think, I haven't confused? Otait? Lebanka, his daughter says she accepts what the Attorney general said, which is that the election wasn't stolen, that Trump lost.
Speaker 3: Is it a lie?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you listen to these people, yeah, it's a big lie. And I'm fearful you're gonna go inside there and he's gonna keep telling you that lie. I'm sure, Yeah, I think you're ready to cut this off. Being confronted with uncomfortable information isn't easy to swallow. But this crowd chooses to live by the immortal words of the barred Rudy Giuliani, who said, We've got lots of theories, we just don't have the evidence, Especially when it comes to Donald Trump.
Speaker 18: I believe him in the military run in the country, and that idiot is up. There's a puppet and Obama's in the basement telling him what to do.
Speaker 2: That sounds so crazy. It's probably not true.
Speaker 18: You probably don't even want ask me what I think about nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: So god, you guys theories for miles.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and I read a lot of stuff I know.
Speaker 18: Probably not all of it is true, but enough it is true to know that we need change in this country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit of shit in the pool doesn't mean you can't swim it right.
Speaker 6: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 15: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fair Amount Plus.
Speaker 1: Has been a Comedy Central podcast