Speaker 1: Hey, vacationing a lawyer.
Speaker 2: Here's my business card.
Speaker 1: I'm Attorney Howard Ank. You or someone you know has been heard it. Work ankin Law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Began, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 4: Hello, everyone, welcome to your new episode of The Machine podcast, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm your host Josh Nelson. As we record this episode on Sunday, July twenty six, twenty twenty six, lots of discuss as the Chicago White Sox just wrapped up their series against the Houston Astros, a losing series. They lost two out of three. We'll talk about that. Regarding the sixth inning issues the White Sox faced in both Friday and Saturday's loss. Munataka Murakami not only does he have sushi in his honor, But he also got a bobblehead and had a huge day on Sunday. We'll be talking about that, but first we have some breaking news from the Chicago White Sox on the trade front. That breaking trading news for the Chicago White Sox comes from Robert Murray and Robert Murray first reported in confirmed by our James Vegan at Sox Machine that the Chicago White Sox are acquiring pitcher who's a Yorkidi from the Pittsburgh Pirates. Your Kidi has spent most of this season with the Indianapolis Triple A affiliate for Pittsburgh, as he started seventeen games there with a three point sixty six or in run average. In eighty three innings this season, your Kidi has seventy three strikeouts. His last appearance to the major leagues was back in April for Pittsburgh. So why do the White Sox make this trade or what exactly is the latest Well, I am now joined by my partners in Crime Sox Machines, be reporter James Vegan and managing editor Jim Margolus, And hello gents, James, you were able to confirm as far as the trade the White Sox made with Pittsburgh for your Kidi, what do you know about this deal?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, now it's official obviously, you know, kind of going for a DSL reliever. You know, he had been recently dffade off their triple A roster and from what I was told, he's going to the White Sox triple A roster. So you know, his numbers are triple A or decent. He hasn't really got lit up at working in relief back in April for Pittsburgh, but it sounds like, you know, he's stretched out. He's he hasn't made a major league start since twenty twenty three, getting all the injuries, and you know, he was a solid like mid rotation guy for the Astros back in the day. But at this point it sounds like he's my like depth of the bulk or stretch out sort. So obviously the White Sox rotation isn't flux. We don't know like how many more bites of the apple, like Noah Schultz is gonna get. And you know, certainly they're looking to add starter is probably their biggest priority in the deadline. I don't yet know how a heet he fits beyond organizaizational depth at.
Speaker 4: This point though we will see got it all right, So doesn't sound like much. Jim, what are your thoughts about this deal for the White Sox.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the only thing I can uh think of in terms of like why he jumped out, aside from just being defa'ed and being front of mine, is that he has shoved against the White Sox, and two of his three outings against the White Sox and easy seven innings both times in twenty twenty one. Twenty twenty three was more ordinary, like I think if throw like four innings at that point, but that's when the shoulder injury started to set in and then he had to John surgery. They cost him two years. So probably a different version than what the White Sox have seen overpower them in previous years. But they have gotten a look at him when he's at his best, and that's still probably better or a different kind of picture than the White Sox currently having Charlotte. They really don't have the kind of veteran arm that they can just use to fill innings, that they can push that has been through the ringer like a lot of these guys in Charlotte limited to five innings. Sometimes they go six at most, but you're seeing like a weird amount of bulk guys in Charlotte. So I think it just helps to have somebody down there who can throw five, six, you know, maybe even beyond that if he's you know, if he's cruising, and not really have to worry about any kind of long term developmental ramifications.
Speaker 4: I guess from my perspective, a lot of White Sox fans make okay, so Charlotte needs pictures is what's the next move? And I think we're all waiting to see what that next move is for the White Sox. But someone on social media was complaining that the White Sox must see that Eric Vetti gives up too many home runs and there's got to be a better option. We've talked about it the last couple of weeks, listeners. The internal starting pitching depth for the White Sox is really shallow at the moment, so hopefully your Keatie can help least build up some depth in Charlotte. I don't know if that makes anyone, if that exposes them to possibly being dealt. We'll see. The trade deadline again is on August third. Lots of pieces are going to be moving. We'll see if any of consequence for the White Sox. Now for the Chicago White Sox recapping as far as his series lost to the Houston Astros, even though they won big on Sunday twelve to three. The most painful loss, or one of the most painful losses this weekend, happened on Friday nights as the Chicago White Sox were up five to nothing, and then a car crash of a sixth inning in which the Chicago White Sox allowed eight runs. And then on Saturday, scoreless game, Hunter Brown was dealing, Sean Burke was dealing, and then yet again, the sixth inning comes back and burns the White Sox as they give up three runs in that frame. Here is White Sox manager will Venna Bull sharing his thoughts on those two losses for the White Sox.
Speaker 7: I mean, obviously the first one sixth inning got away from us, so that we did a good job offensively, I had to solve for a bunch of.
Speaker 3: Different guys after Getty went out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just kind of a tough one.
Speaker 7: Event yesterday, you know a little bit different where we just got beat. You know, we got to the buyer a guy with really good stuff that which does as well as probably pitched all year and you know, just really figuring him out.
Speaker 2: So yeah, tough, tough games. John opportunity today was we're.
Speaker 4: Excited about it now. When it comes to the sixth inning issues for the Chicago White Sox again, they gave up eight runs on Friday, seven hits, three walks, and they hit a batter. And then on Saturday, three runs, two hits, hit another batter, a walk, and then a very cross the air by Brady Montgomery as he just missed as far as the ball rolling under his glove on a single that ended up clearing the bases. And when it comes to the Chicago White Sox and this sixth inning issue, I immediately start thinking about listeners, the t top times for the order, penalty, and for Davis Martin on the mound. Davis Martin's been excellent. The first time through the order. Opposing hitters are just hitting two oh six, they're slugging just two sixty five and then on base percentage of two forty six. That's fantastic. But things drastically change when Davis Martin faces a lineup a second time. That batting average increases the two ninety three against and his on base percentage against this three seventy two and the third time to the order doesn't really dip two eighty seven batting average, three point fifty on base percentage against Davis Martin. Lugging percentages are still in the four hundreds. They haven't exceeded in the five hundreds yet against Davis Martin, but that's pretty drastic. And when you look at Sean Burke as far as his te top first time through the order, very good below three hundred and all three two to seven batting average against just a two eighty nine on base percentage in the first time through the order, second and third time batting average very close to the same two fifty four and two fifty on base percentage is three twenty three thirteen. Sean Brook's pretty consistent against opposing lineups when he faces them a second and third time, so it's a little bit different for both of them. But this is something that I do wonder here, James moving forward, because Davis Martin is on track to pitch and it's set a new career high for him in a season of innings, and we've been asking the White Sox to do something to Pad. As far as the starting rotation, are there any t top concerns moving forward in how we watch the Chicago White Sox starters.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, yes, third times to the order affects everyone. It's kind of the greatest challenge in starting pitching. It's it's kind of like how do you prevent the rain from falling? Like, yeah, it will be the most difficult part of everyone's outing every single time, but really separates you know, they're reliable starters.
Speaker 2: You know, even what kind of.
Speaker 5: Separates Martin and Burke even from k a little bit in terms of like how regularly they get allowed to go third times to the order and certainly separate some Schultz and Fetti and like that they don't really attempt to do that at all.
Speaker 2: Is the difficulty of that.
Speaker 5: But as far as like Martin's not, like I think what's maybe affecting him or in the second half is like you just haven't necessarily seen the stuff tick up to what it was earlier in the season. But like the natural nature of Martin's like arsenal is that he's throwing six different pitches at you that he and you know has a wide enough arsenal that he's cycling through. He's showing you a different plan of attack every time through, So he's sitting more ninety three ninety four and just kind of is more vulnerable, you know. But recently he felt like in general we were talking to a post game uh Friday that and I think it's evidenced by like the walks and controls that he's shown. That sens coming out of the break is that he feels like his mechanics are trending up and that they did address what the spots in his delivery that he wasn't felt like he was getting into as the break held. So like he feels like he the first two starts and especially like looking at that game, both the you know, six innings really blew up on them and I think keyed around hit by pitches of batters that they felt like they could get out with with Burke and Martin, and once they did that, they kind of removed their margin for air for bat at balllock and here and.
Speaker 2: Gets killed by two roundball.
Speaker 5: Singles and then the you know, the Christian walker like uh, you know, Basis Leary double that like Fargus, that was all was unreviewable like once. It's really those extra base runners, which one was the flaw in his game that he couldn't work around, you know, at the end of the first half, and he was flagging and you know kind of the thing that you know was the straw that broke the camel's back in this so Burke, if anything, is shrinking as arsenal, because he's talking to him recently that he's kind of banging this change up. But that's mostly reflective of the fact of how good his curve ball is working. And he was the same thing, like he's been great third time through the order, Like he's kind of builds his velocity up over the course of the game where you see more ninety six ninety seven as he goes on. It's usually like I think we've gotten to the point where like his first pitch will be ninety two and you kind of shrug it off and see him build up from there, and you know, it kind of reminds me of Lucas Shilito a little bit in the sense of like this big, long, levered guy who kind of gets more in sync fifteen to twenty pitches in than he is at the start, which lines up to how much he kind of struggled the first.
Speaker 2: Early in his career.
Speaker 5: I mean his uh, his inning really like his third time trip to the order, like really blew up because of defense, like obviously hit the batter to kind of remove it where a defense could hurt him, to agree, but like Colson not getting to the ground or that you know a police for the you know, the great defense he played the first season half his career, you kind of are used to.
Speaker 2: Him getting even if it's challenging to turn a DP off of that.
Speaker 5: And then Braden kind of whiffing on one that you saw him trilling like the exact same play pregame Sunday. In response, I think without those he kind of looks like regular Burke again. But will three times through the order be hard? It will always be hard, sorrdest thing in sports, or at least the hardest thing in pitching. I just ignore all the sports entirely. But yeah, I think it's a challenge from I think like they don't these are you know, the creme of the crem of the rotation. But Davis Martin, Sean Berker not like proven playoff starters or proven guys who like.
Speaker 2: Are awesome at the end of one hundred and eighty.
Speaker 5: Any seasons in September, not because they can't do it, because they've not done it before and so much alike with his White Sox pitching course is unestablished in that way, and so that's in a watch going forward. But it's also the it's the fundamental challenge. I don't think like they I'll ever not have third time through the order numbers that are worse than the rest of their selection unless something really goes is going on through year where they're struggling out of the gate in some way. That's really the issue and out third time to the order like this, that's the nature of the Beast.
Speaker 4: Shop at twenty twenty six All Start collection now at the new Look File Territory Shop dot com. The drop features every all Star, including Munatako Murakami, Miguel Vargas and Tristan Peters. Keep an eye out for more officially licensed gear throughout the rest of the season and playoffs at File Territory Shop dot com. Howard, my dad was t boned by a utility vehicle? Or what should I do?
Speaker 1: Inking law is injury law made personal? If you've been heard at work in a car accident or suffered a medical mistake call three one two six million.
Speaker 4: So what is the best way for Will Venable in the Chicago White Sox to manage these t top situations where it doesn't impact him as much as it did this weekend.
Speaker 6: I think this last time out, the one thing that Venable might have done differently is either have Hudson come in a batter earlier or a batter later. Having him come in with the bases loaded against a righty and Christian walker probably not the ideal situation, and I think there's more to protect Martin and just how things have snowballed on him and not wanting to be too passive, but it just happened so quickly that he got caught in between like do I let him go one better too long? Or do I bring a reliever for a not an ideal matchup because Hudson's splits, I don't think are that crazy to where you're setting them up for failure. Just happened to be a very well placed ball down the line and that's what happened to it. So based on this one start alone, like where his velocity was pretty close to what it is and seemed like he was locating everything well enough, and he had his whole arsenal in play. It is easy to write it off as just an isolated occurrence versus like this larger pattern. I think the larger pattern is worth paying attention to and banking in your memory just to have something compare it to as you go along. But you know, with how he looked in that sixth inning, it was a matter of just the worst possible luck with the usual vulnerabilities. I do think that we're seeing, you know, Martin, you know, as Era is regressing back to what it is in his career, which is like closer to four. And I wonder how much of his just outstanding started the season is coloring this conversation of him, because you know, nobody would have expected him being like a game one or Game two postseason starter. It just happened to be everything's coming together a year earlier. And so playing with your hand to your delt, you know, Martin is a game one or Game two, probably game two now, but probably not what a team wants ideally, probably more of a Game three or Game four. So you're having these conversations about, like how good is Davis Martin, which is kind of a double edged thing and that it's a compliment to the season he's having, but also maybe just put some a position where you know he's he's a very good developmental story to get where he's gotten if he is like a number three or number four starter. So it's more about mitigating that kind of picture versus Davis Martin, you know, fallen from Grace type conversation. I do think as the postseason nears, especially in September, when rosters expand a little bit, and perhaps the White Sox have a bullpen guy or another bulk guy that they can go to, that you will see starts get shorter and just the especially if they're in the postseason, run to where you know every game matters, that you will see a lot more of October type managing where it is two times through at most, and then they're going to have somebody warming up no matter what, because you can't get caught with your pants down. And I think that's what you might see if like September rolls around and it's a two game lead or two game deficit and you can't afford to give away winnable games to give guys rest or try to stretch somebody. You probably will see fifth inning, more middle relievers or Sean newcom you know, well qualified long relievers or bulk relievers coming into play earlier and having more handedness imbalances, you know, going from right to left or left to right, just in order to you have whatever advantage you can get while guys are flagging.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's I have the same thought, Jim. And that's where I think maybe moving forward, everyone that covers the White Sox and White Sox fans just might need to accept the fact that Davis Martin could be limited to eighty five pitches, not only to try to keep him as fresh as possible for the rest of the season, but also a matter of being effective. That clearly not the numbers that when you try to push them to one hundred pitches things start to break down. That doesn't seem to be the case for Sean Burke. So right now to this starting rotation for the White Sox, it really feels like, who is the most confident that you could think of who can throw six innings for the White Sox right now, it's Sean Burke. So it may be just the rotation of five and fly guys, and then we'll see what the bullpen could do. But at least the White Sox who have some bulk guys in the bullpen though James like Sean Newcome, Chris Murphy at times if games go sideways. Tyler Schweitzer is still part of the White Sox bullpen as well. And I had a feeling that maybe Grant Taylor was going to be trying to push the two innings on Sunday before the White Sox offense exploded and gave a pretty big lead. So the bullpen may need to pick up more innings as we get closer to the postseason.
Speaker 5: I mean to a degree. I don't think you want to tax your core guys or expand their roles dramatically in some way. And Will Venables said this weekend that he didn't think that been a Burker Martin will really have Innyans caps this season. So now they're pretty stretched out unless they're showing like some particular type of wear. I don't think they're just trying to taper them necessarily going into you know, the postseason, because your your bullpen will be plenty well, you'll need them to be fresh for that since they'll probably the ones who have the roles expanded that time of year. I don't know if you want to like step on the gas in some systematic way before then. I certainly think like once you get in the postseason, once you're actually in those games, and like, yeah, everyone has to be pretty much rolling to get a third time trip to the order. Everyone's like on watch and their second time, especially those early rounds where you're talking, you know, your season most mostly spinning on one or two games. I think it certainly happens. They're just organically from like you know the value of those those individual innings, every single run. But as far as like thinking everybody's going to turn five and dive right now. If anything, I think the big thing they wanted the deadline is to kind of remedy that and not be in that situation as often, because that makes it trickier to use Taylor Newcombe back to back, and certainly like winning series sometimes.
Speaker 2: Can dictate that.
Speaker 5: So I certainly see that being like an element of their postseason strategy. But I think of it, I think they're trying to fortify in a way that they don't have to necessarily just have the bullpen pitch half the game on a regular basis, because like, that's not really sustainable and I think there's too much year left to start acting like you're near the finish line.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's fair. I then Davis is going to need to figure out what he can do, maybe post pitch seventy five to avoid the trouble that we saw this weekend. But something to monitor as the White Sox start this new thirteen game gauntlet that got a lot tougher for them. We'll be previewing the upcoming series at home against the New York Yankees, and then we're sending games down to Tampa Bay to cover that suits in the White Sox raise trade deadline. Three games in Boston, and then the Cleveland Guardians visit the White Sox. That's the next thirteen games for the White Sox. It'll be interesting to see how this starting rotation holds up, whether they can have the physical ability to go more than eighty five pitches to press through a third time to the order, but also are they still effective and games are not going sideways like it did on Friday for the White Sox. But a lot of factors played into that. And yeah, Sir Anthony, Dominguez was also very good on Friday. Either just made things really lopsided when it didn't need to be. But something to pay attention to in future starts. Now for the Chicago White Sox, this weekend was a big weekend for Munataka mr Kami. Murkami got a sushi roll named after him at Rye Field. You can check out our instagram at Sox Machine. I got a chance to try its and a lot of fans have been buying the sushi role at rate Field. It's twenty three dollars for per role. You can find him in section one fifty four at the Lucky Stand or there is a sushi cart that rooms around the stadium. So he got a sushi role, and then he got a bobblehead. On Sunday, his parents were in attendance and they threw out the first pitch. Lots of White Sox fans were in line waiting to get the Munataka Murakami bobblehead, and Murkami had a huge game on his bobblehead day in which he hit two homers for the second time. That's the second time this season he's had a multi home run game. As Murakami went three for five. He also drove in six RBIs for the White Sox and as far as his season numbers now, he has twenty two homers and forty eight RBIs with a three seventy eight on base percentage and slugging five forty three. So a big Sunday for Munataka, Murakami and Jim and he's finally off the Schneider. He finally hit a home run. Does it feel like the rust is breaking off with Murkami since he's returned off the injured list?
Speaker 6: I think so. I think you saw over the course of like the two weeks that he was warming up basically, was that early on, like he had the four strikeout game to start a few hitless games in a row. Then he starts seeing like the walks coming. You snapped his streak on Saturday. I think it was nine games in a row with a walk, And he saw at least the plate discipline there to where like the swing decisions were fine and he was making pictures come to him. So he had that part of his game still intact, and then he saw the bat to ball starting to improve in terms of some like you had that crush double. Yeah, some better ground ball ve lost these. He had near Homer, so he saw everything lining up towards him getting on time, and then yeah, on Sunday just all came together for him. And it's odd that I shouldn't say odd, but you don't often see it be I guess that lanear in terms of you know, he's warming up, he's getting closer, He's there. Like That's kind of how it seemed like over the course of the last two weeks of baseball play, was that he was kind of at sea early on, and then you just started seeing like, well, if he sticks with it, he should be rewarded, and then the reward came. So yeah, I think he's pretty close to where he was. I mean, he just needs to kind of do it for you know, maybe not six RBIs three games in a row, but in terms of just I think this form he's shown like over the Houston series, I think extrapolate that to a couple more series and all of a sudden he's back where he was.
Speaker 4: Also happened this weekend. He missed on Sunday's game, but Colson Montgomery fouled off another tough pitch off of his shin. This is the second time it's happened in the last week. He ended up hitting a double on Saturday to drive in the White Sox only run well, I say double, it should have been a double. It ended up only being a single because Coolest Montgomery is having a very tough time running down the first baseline. This is gholst to Montgomery pregame on Sunday about how his lower leg feels and what he is thinking as far as a return back to the White Sox lineup.
Speaker 8: The things it was above it, it didn't so I have the regular leg guard and then I had like a custom leg guard above the other one, and then.
Speaker 2: It hit like right above it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so oh No, I think it's just the other spot was already still pretty inflamed and you know, tight and sommer.
Speaker 2: So I think this morning kind of hitt in the air.
Speaker 8: It kind of just you know, it's still a little bit.
Speaker 4: More, not the one today.
Speaker 2: It's just either a one day thing, a couple of days.
Speaker 8: No, I just spent a little bit long. So, like I said, I think it's just something where you needed to get through today. You know, do some painful not painful treatment, but kind of things just to fush out smiling at things like that, but I did anticipate I'm.
Speaker 4: Playing tomorrow, James. You got a chance to chat with both Colson Montgomery and will Vennable. As far as his status, it doesn't sound like he needs to go on the injured list, which is good because fouling off pitches in that area could be really tricky and concerning. Is it imperative that the White Sox or even Coolson Montgomery try to push through and have him start playing on Monday?
Speaker 5: I think i'd say objection leading the witness. If you said push through, well that implies like maybe he's not really ready or he's gonna be he.
Speaker 4: Feels like he's ready. Like should I guess, do the White Sox have to protect him?
Speaker 5: I mean, it seems like you don't want to say, like a bruise is nothing, because you know, William Pergoa, it just broke his leg. You know, that was a sacerbation of whatever his situation was. Originally it was classify as a bruise. But it's at least the way he's describing is it's it's more about it's a pain tolerance thing, and it's kind of like the tightness and the movement restriction that he experiences from the pain, and they're trying to flush it out over the course of you know, will be past tense by now, but he was getting treatment of that all Sunday. His Coulson's perspective is like, well, that's gonna work and I'm going to feel better, so I'll be playing Monday, whereas well Venable it was just being more diplomatic of saying like, well, it really got him good, so there's a chance it won't be all the way resolved in terms of how he feels and thus how he can move by Monday, and maybe he sits that day too. So I don't think it's necessarily like it's gonna be like, well, he feels like crap, but we need this game, so he's gonna play. It's more of like one is the athlete brain of like, yes, I'm gonna do it. I can make this happen. We're gonna get it done. And the other is the manager brain of like, well, there's actually, you know, infinite possibilities always at hand, and you never know what's gonna be. So I don't think it's like a I think if he's limited again, it's not going to be hey play at seventy percent, especially because we know like they can have like a even if it's at bats our finery, you know, obviously offers a power threat that the other team is the game plan more more or more sover differently than they would. For Lewis an Helakunya. You can see how he plays a very high demanding position, a choice up. If he can't move laterally, if he's just not as flexible as he normally is, that can affect them defensively in a way that can impact the game majorly. So I think it depends on how he feels. It doesn't seem like it's a certainly not an IL situation, but I don't I don't even necessarily think there's as much disagreement between what Colson is saying uh and what Vulnerable is saying.
Speaker 2: It's more just.
Speaker 5: The different perspectives on things like when like almost like even like we're waiting for more word on like the update on like what Teal is and like there's more tests that could change is like prognosis, and so I don't want to like say that it's not going to move around, but like the difference between like the manager saying six to twelve weeks and him saying five eight weeks could also just be like the same information, but also the athlete being like, I'm gonna get this done. I'm gonna I have the optimistic outlook on this, I'm going to max this out. I Like, that's just how they're wired, so they're always going to be have like this kind.
Speaker 2: Of bullish estimation.
Speaker 5: Like in any like equitable situation between team and player, how they see it differently, Like you lean towards the athlete probably being more optimistic. It's probably when the team is pushing someone out out there that the player would be like, I don't know, I'll be back.
Speaker 2: But you so rarely ever hear that.
Speaker 5: It's like a red flag that something more is going on with that situation itself. You expect to hear like I'm playing tomorrow from everybody like that's that's how these guys operate.
Speaker 4: Well, Hopefully Colson Montgomery takes it easy and stops filling pitches off that shin because one a couple more times and it might get worse on him. So hopefully he does take the necessary rest. If the White Sox do give him another day off on Monday. Max Freed of the New York Yankees is scheduled to make that start. We'll be talking about that series in a quick moment Before we preview the series between the White Sox and Yankees, Let's take a look around the American League Central. As far as the Cleveland Guardians, they have now lost five straight games as they just got swept in Tampa Bay. The Minnesota Twins won their series against the Sacramento Athletics and the Detroit Tigers in Kansas City. Royals ended up splitting the four games against each other, a bit of a disappointment for the Tigers. They won the first two games, but ended up losing games three and four in that series. So when you take a look at the American League Central standings, with that win for the White Sox on Sunday, they increased their lead to two and a half games over the Cleveland Guardians. Of the fifty five and forty nine record, the Guardians are only a game above five hundred. The Twins are only a game below five hundred, meaning the Twins are just a game back of the Cleveland Guardians, So that's a bit of a surprise. The Tigers are fifty fifty six, there's six games back of the White Sox and the Royals are eleven and a half games back at the bottom of the American League Central at forty five and sixty two. For White Sox fans, with the disappointing loss on Friday Night, especially with Cleveland losing and the White Sox coughing up that five to nothing lead against the Astros, just felt like a missed opportunity to pad the lead in the American League Central, so losing this series to the Houston Astros. Jim, I'll start with you, does this weekend feel like a missed opportunity for the White Sox to have had their lead in the American League Central?
Speaker 6: Technically yes, just because you know five nothing you know through with fournings to go is generally yeah. I'm not sure what the win probability is, but I imagine it starts at the nine. So yeah, they did miss an opportunity to go up three and a half games, But at this point, with still more than two full months in the season, I don't know if any one game matters much to say it's a missed opportunity that they'll never be able to make it up. Watching the Guardians. I think they've scored Let me look, yeah, they've scored four runs over their last four games. Then shout out two games in a row against the Rays for three of those four games, Like, the White Sox have that coming up, a weekend series against the Rays. So in terms of trying to figure out, you know, schedules and strength the schedule and what the draw is and terms headhead like, I think it's still a bit too early to break it down on a single game level, Like if they got swept, I think it might be a different conversation of just like, well, the race, the Race swept the Guardians and the White Sox, you guys swept by the Astros. When two of those games is winnable because we'll say the Sunday game that they theoretically lost, this conversation would have been when there you had a chance to win as well. But I think winning that game going away, kicking out of the pin, salvaging one out of three, I think that can keeps the ball moving, you know, just it's it's they're they're getting closer towards the goal. I think any weekend, any series where they finished better than they started is good enough, both in the very technical sense and also just this is a flawed team over a long season in a flawed division, so it is going to be ugly at times. And I think it's just mitigating or managing the ugliness that it doesn't break contain.
Speaker 4: The American League managing the ugliness. That's the season. That's the slogan for the twenty twenty six season, James. It doesn't. I know, Will Venables asked by other reporters in the scrums getting a chance to you as far as cut those videos which you can watch on YouTube dot com slash socks Machine, But it doesn't really seem like Venerable or any of the White Sox players at this moment are pressing that all we miss these opportunities, right. It seems like they're pretty level headed.
Speaker 5: Still, Yeah, I would say so every now and then, like Miguel Vargas probably like was the only one who pit on the question post game Sunday about like giving importance to being up in the standings, But even that it seemed like it was in more frame and just like, yeah, we we think we're gonna make the playoffs. We're we're gunning for that, and just like acknowledging it as important rather than like talking about scoreboard watching anyway. I don't know what you'd have to do to get venable to talk about like, oh man, we're really stressed out of the standings, or we're worried about these opportunities, Like he just is very I think it'd be a perfect example of like, you know, just torture wouldn't work. You could pull out a fingernails. I don't think he'd admit to like he like simultaneously we'd be like, yeah, of course we look at them, but also be like, of course that's we're not talking about. Like he got asked today like did you talk to his team about the importance of not getting sweats? He's like, no, they know we were here to win games, Like we're trying to win every game. They're all very important. I think they all know that. So I don't think he's gonna be like, oh man, this is a big opportunity Cleveland's playing the Rays or just like even mentioning the.
Speaker 2: Standings as like a folks at all.
Speaker 5: They're simultaneously aware of it to the point where it's like demystified but also not like their messages around like the series. This stretch is really important because then you theoretically you if you do have that sort of you know, mindset, you see stretches like where you know, you get up and play really well against the Dodgers and Braves and then have a let down against an opponent that maybe it seems like you should be able to handle. So I think they're not steering the ship towards that in any way. At the same time, it's not like a secret when you bring up what the standings are or that they're in the division race, but they're also just like, we're a good team, We're gonna be in it. It's gonna be close to the end, come on May.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and White Sox do control their own destiny. I maybe different if they were in the shoes of the Minnesota Twins three and a half games back, But no, the White Sox still have a two and a half game lead in the American League Central as now. They continue as far as their homestand with four games against the New York Yankees and the New York Yankees. As we are recording this, we're playing the Sunday night game against the Philadelphia Phillies. So the Yankees are either going to be fifty nine and forty six or sixty and forty five. Before Sunday Night's game, they had won their last three and they have won seven of their last ten, and they have been a very good team away from Yankee Stadium this year. The Yankees are thirty three and twenty two prior to Sunday Nights game against the Philadelphia Phillies. You're bitching problems for this series. Monday through Wednesday. These are six forty PMS Central Time starts, so on Monday it'll be a left handed starter for the Yankees, Max Freed against Noah Schultz the Chicago White Sox. Game two is a tough one for the White Sox's Gara Cole, who pitched very well against the White Sox at the Yankee Stadium earlier this year against Anthony k for the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday. The White Sox didn't get a chance to see Cam Schlitzler earlier this year, they will see him this time. Davis Martin will take the ball on Wednesday and on Thursday, getaway Day. This is the one ten pm Central Time start. Sean Berke will make the start for the White Sox against Ryan Weathers for the New York Yankees. So that's the pitching problems between the White Sox and the Yankees, and James Noah Schultz will be getting another start. So we talked in great length about Noah Schultz in her previous episode, and you mentioned that he has to find his slider because he was just too hit a bule in his last outing. You got a chance to catch up with Noah and chat with him. What is his mindset coming into Monday night start against the Yankees.
Speaker 5: Well, his mindset is quite interesting, he said, let me find it. He said, like this, there's only one really, only one way to move in this situation. Pressure is a privilege, fight or flight, natural selection, and people survive. You've got to prove how you stand a sustained position. So he's he's not under playing the stakes. I think he was viewing it more in terms of, like, you know they're in the first place, there's immediate feedback the major leagues. He was saying, like it's kind of good. You can't get away with like things you're not doing well the way you couldn't like double a. That's kind of this immediate feedback. So like he appreciates it from a development standpoint, rather than he's like speaking specifically to like the idea of like if I don't too well, I'm optioned sort of situation. I don't think it's like that. It was more like he understands that he's struggling. He understands that, like the team has high stakes and you know, obviously you're hunting at the deadline. Like these guys are smart, They're aware of things, are not like blithely like unaware of the news. But like I just think like he's very like, yeah, this this is what I wanted. This is you know, the sort of situation being where you have to prove yourself, Like it's kind of the boredom of the minor leagues that like everything doesn't really quite have the full stakes you want. You have to like press yourself to lock in the way you are up here. And I think guys like him and a lot of other major leagues tend to enjoy like the constant feeling of like the stakes here.
Speaker 2: So it does seem like he's locked into that.
Speaker 5: Now more brass sacks about like what goes into the game, like their bullpen talked to both Zach Bow and him about it was about working on it slider. What was interesting is that Bove asked me he started the conversation like, oh, you mean the curveball. And I was like, well, are you calling it the slider or the curveball. It's like, well, I call it. He calls the slider. I call it the curveball. And I was like, well, why does that distinction? Why does the distinction mean to you? And it because is is that emphasizing the shape that you wanted to take And he's saying, yes, we want something that drops. We wanted to get to negative between negative four negative six vertical you know IVB is what he was shooting for. Because they, especially to right handers, they feel like the east west sweepier version is not getting misses and not getting you know, enough ground balls, just we contact just not getting the results that they want. You know, his mis rate on is not bad. I feel like it's probably mostly coming. It's certainly higher left on left, but people are slugging really highly against it. They've been pushing earlier like hey, let's have a more vertical shape against right handers and then you can still throw the east west to sweepy version against lefties at your breaking ball. Now there's just like let's get the brass tacks. Let's simplify things for him. Let's have one breaking pitch and just try to repeat it. And so what they're going for is like, if we're gonna have one breaking pitch, we'll have the one that works against righty's and assuming we'll work against left he's too. And so that's like think about as a curve ball. We're trying to get all this negative vert action on it. So that's kind of the idea of One, No, it seems geared up for this, I think it's fair to say. And two, like they did spend the bullpen hammering on the slider, and he said, like they're looking at his mechanics from early in the year as far as what they're trying to replicate for his delivery. Obviously we're gonna speculate on here, like is thee hundred percent because he had the iel stent earlier this year. I think even if like you know, obviously he's out there and he's saying he's good to go, take it as a word. When you go through that, there's a natural inclination to compensate your mechanics or make adjustments from going through when you were in pain that you still have to work through and still have to hammer out in your reps even if you're not feeling an injury anymore. And I think Tana McDougal was like a great example of that when he was talking about I had the hamstring strain and then I was fine and was cleared, but I was still throwing like I was compensating from a handstring strain my next time out, and that's how I injured my flexer. So and I can talk recall like conversations with Lancelin about this after he had the surgery, who was just like, there's still so many habits in my delivery that I'm like still trying to hammer out that I started building up because I was pitching through.
Speaker 2: Like the issue with the knee that eventually, you know, required this.
Speaker 5: So I think, like him struggling mechanically, that that's an explanation for it that you know, tracks obviously remains to be seeing like how how can they get him on track? How much can they kind of hammer it out through midweek bullpen sessions and whatnot, and do we see it immediately in outings and you know, are we hitting up near his career high in innings already and how do they handle that? And there's you know, other moving parts it's part of that, but that's at lease like where they're targeting, you know, midweek with that session. They have to kind of you know, get him right.
Speaker 4: All right. So something to watch for podcast listeners on that Monday start for Doris Schultz is how well his slider or curve or slurve whatever they're calling this bitch, how effective it is. On the good news for Schultz, you will not have to face Cody Bellinger or Aaron Judge, both will be missing this series. And then on the offensive side, Jim, this is a tough test, especially when you look at the problem starters for the New York Yankees, and the way I'm kind of looking at it is this is a good test to see just how postseason ready this White Sox lineup is. And yes, they don't have Kyle Thiel, so they're not at full strength, but I'm not I guess I'm a little cautiously optimistic, but I am intrigued in how well this White Sox lineup does against these starting pitchers for the Yankees now that they're going to be facing the top arms and they're starting rotation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it starts with Freed, who's lefty, and we're seeing that junior pres is being optioned. So it's manner of visit hayeser Pereira, and either one of those guys has been missing from the lineup, has been missing from outfield configuration. So I think that's gonna be something to where if they're looking for deadline help or what have you from the right side. Yeah, one game is not enough to say, you know, Hayeses fix it or Haeses washed or prayer the same thing. But it will be a case of like how deep does this lineup look, how challenging or how much of a challenge do they present to a lefty starter. You know, That's kind of what I'm looking at Monday. And then when it comes to Colon and Schlitler, it's just they're good, righties. They're good postseason pitchers like Game one or Game two. I mean, Yankees are deep enough to where like one of them might be Game three, depending on how like what kind of form Cole rounds into by the end of the year. But yeah, it's a case where Murakami like this would be a good time for his improvement to continue on that nice, smooth linear path to be that middle of the order threat the way that Ben Rice is right now for the Yankees of just having that middle of the order Masher, I think maybe, if anything, this is a case where you're having Colson not at one hundred percent or close to one hundred percent, Maybe it hurts them because when you have the White Sox lineup against lefties, you think, okay, migil Vargas has to have a big series. When you have the White Sox lineup against right eas, you think, okay, it's Murra Commy Montgomery, Like those are the three four or five guys who have to step up and so like without Montgomery being either active o c. If he plays Monday or just you're not expecting him to you expect him to weather through it right now versus flip the switch and be back to ninety five percent overnights. That's where he might see just being one bat short or being one thumper away. So I think it's a good test. I think it's probably more a matter of testing just the depth of their lineup against lefties and then for a matter of like Murra commy, I think that's probably what I'm looking at most. It's just how does he look because no matter what, like when you get to September, when you get to October, against teams that have this one two three, he's gonna be in the middle of it, and he is their biggest threat for offense. And so it's fun, Like this is uh what you sign up for when you're following a team that, uh, all of a sudden, every game matters, every series matters, or they can't take a series off, or we can't necessarily you know, say like oh it's a tough series and we'll look to rebound just because like you never know what's going to happen on the other you know, for the other teams that are chasing. So uh yeah, fun stuff when you have one, two three like this for the Yankees and whatever order and the White Sox are expected to respond and have a game plan for them and produce well.
Speaker 4: Again, you can be able to read the recaps on soxmachine dot com. James will be there covering the games for us. It'll be more pre and postgame videos as well. On our YouTube channel and YouTube dot YouTube dot com. Slash Sox Machine, of course, will be recapping the White Sox and Yankees podcast and an upcoming episode of the Sox Machine podcast if be released on Friday to see just how the White Sox fare and both the pitching and hitting side. This is a real tough test for the Chicago White Sox as we just a week away from the Mob trade deadline, but we do have a special episode coming midweek. The Chicago White Sox director of hitting Ryan Fuller, sat down with James Vegan to talk about the plans that the White Sox have with their recent draftees with Rock Schalowski and Landa Toomi. So if you want to learn more about the adjustments the White Sox have already been making with those prospects along with Cole pro sec as well, definitely watch and listen to that episode as it's released on Wednesday morning. But that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening watching to this episode. If you just discovered the Sox Machine podcast, you can describe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts or just Spotify and Apple Music. If you are watching the show and this is the first time you have watched the show, please hit the subscribe button on our YouTube channel. We would greatly appreciate that. With James being at the stadium, and of course we are expecting knock on wood more trade news from the Chicago White Sox, make sure to follow us on social media. We're on all the social media platforms at sox Machine. You can follow James at j Rfgan, you can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh and if you want full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago White Sox at Major League Baseball, sign up to become a sox Machine subscriber at soxsmachine dot com slash products. We are still continuing to run our sale, so our five dollars month plan is just fifty three cents for the first month and it goes up to five dollars in the second month. But if you sign up as a sox Machine subscriber, you unlock all of our coverage the comments section. You can also get an a free version of the website as well. We also have additional tiers of support to give you additional benefits and even an opportunity to join our Veterans Committee, in which you have direct access to Jim and James. Be part of the group chats, so when we are hearing gossip whispers gossipers, you're the first one to know. So again, if you're interested to go to Soxsmachine dot com, slash products and sign up today. The Sox Machine Podcast is a productions of Soxmachine dot com. You're for all of the Chicago White Sox baseball and part of the Foul Territory Network. Alongside Jim Marglus and James Vegan. I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.