Speaker 1: Unique.
Speaker 2: Hi, and welcome to the A Girl Podcast. I'm here with the gorgeous, stunning Violetta. Thank you so much for coming. Okay, so I want to get into your whole story. You're an icon, a ballerina. There's so much to you.
Speaker 3: What was it like growing up in New York? Wow? Growing up in New York.
Speaker 1: I think I didn't realize how intense it was until I actually left the city and experienced what other people's lives look like in other places. I'm very lucky that I've been able to travel a lot, especially with like my job, and you know, so it was like the grass as it was greener, right, So sometimes I see something and I'm like, oh, I wish I had that.
Speaker 3: I wish I grew up like that.
Speaker 1: But then coming back to the city, I'm like, no, but it's a unique experience.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: It does strengthen you a lot. It prepares you for anything. You're not, you know, shocked by certain things. Yeah. I don't want to say you're numb to them, but you are sensitized for sure. Yeah, desensitized exactly. But I think also more accepting of different kinds of people, different kinds of culture. It really is a melting pot, like to the max. And so ballet wise, like, I was so lucky that I was able to be seen by my first ballet school. It's called Ballet Tech, and it's this man, Elliott Felt, who's like an icon in his own right in the ballet world, in the dance world. He has a school, a public ballet school that will go and audition students throughout New York and they found me. And honestly, like, my whole life, my whole career, everything that's been a blessing, and like the best stuff in my life has come from that, from that moment and that happening in my life.
Speaker 3: That's so amazing.
Speaker 2: When did dance become something bigger than just a hobbyer activity for you? When did you know, like, this is going to be my career.
Speaker 1: So I it was sort of around the end of eighth grade.
Speaker 3: Was such a crazy time to be like, I know what I'm going to do for my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do I explain it? It's it kind of just kept it was like a the momentum kept building.
Speaker 3: So it was something that I always wanted to do.
Speaker 1: But again, I grew up with a single mom from Ukraine, who didn't really understand the ballet world. So she wasn't like I'm going to send you to these schools and I'm going to send you, you know, and like she she you know, if she could make it to the show.
Speaker 3: She would come, but she was at work.
Speaker 1: And it was something that I think I just I loved and I you know, as as a ten year old, as a thirteen year old, you're not like, this is going to be my career because I didn't understand what even a career meant.
Speaker 3: At that age.
Speaker 1: So unfortunately I didn't have that. But it just kind of it was almost like a blessing. It was like sent from somewhere else where. It just kept going and going. So I graduated, I went to LaGuardia. I was one of two kids that got in or one of three I think that got into LaGuardia High School for perform my arts. I went there and then I started you know, performing and learning about performing. I started doing Martha Graham dance, and we started to do ballet. But then we had Graham, we had hort and we had jazz, various types of dance that then I would use later in my life in like crazy situations like I didn't I wasn't, you know, fully fully invested in Martha Graham and Graham Dance. But then I did a show with the Nogucci for six months where I was doing Graham, So I was like, thank god, you know that I have that kind of in my back pocket.
Speaker 2: Iconic literally iconic. What did ballet teach you about discipline at a young age?
Speaker 1: Again, like you don't really as a kid understand why you are this way, But I'm trying to like tune back into the baby V.
Speaker 3: I would fight.
Speaker 1: Against it a bit, to be honest. It was so structured, it was so serious. It was like, hey, you have to lock in, start doing this, take it seriously, because you know, you miss two classes or you kind of slack off in one class and then the next day your body is unhappy, you're injured, you're getting injured, or you're you don't feel like you're on your leg. And I think I was always sort of I was like a bit of a rebel, but then I was also someone that really wanted to be an overachiever, So it would be those two sides kind of clashing. So it's like, oh, I didn't go to class and now I'm off my leg but I like to be like good in class, so let me like make sure I get back into it. And it was all It was all myself. It wasn't like my mom, my teacher, nothing. It was me being like, I need to do this, I need to be good at this.
Speaker 2: Ballet is such a beautiful world from the outside, but it's like the most demanding, like you said, structured, it's just an extremely difficult sport, if you will.
Speaker 3: What do you think people misunderstand the most about it.
Speaker 1: I think they misunderstand just how difficult the industry can be, and it is. It is so beautiful, and I think now people are being a little more vocal about it. But there's not that many jobs, there's not that much money in it, and like unfortunately that's the reality of it. So I've seen a lot of people, like dancers and teachers start making videos about like, Okay, how do you manage your finances as a dancer?
Speaker 3: How do you actually properly audition?
Speaker 1: And I've had older dancers and teachers say, like, you know, cattle calls auditions. I mean we are standing in line, I have a number on here and I still do it to this day, which you know, I'm thirty now, it's like, yeah, I still show up to these things and say, hey, I really want this. I mean, you know, in the Broadway and every other career people do this as well. And also, the top top top dancers are not living the lives that the top top top actors are and top top top athletes.
Speaker 3: In other sports.
Speaker 1: Maybe not all sports, but yeah, we're not living those lives. So when you're dance and saying what does your day to day look like? What's the day to day of a New York City ballerina?
Speaker 3: So I am freelance.
Speaker 1: I currently I have a show coming up at the Joyce Theater in June, and actually it's an alumni show case with my past with my first ballet school, Oh wow, and it's called Echoes of the Studio and Deon Figgins there's an incredible choreographer and.
Speaker 3: She used to be a dance theater of Harlem.
Speaker 1: She has taken over as an artistic director of Ballet Tech and she's core. I mean she knows every single kids role and every single dancers role and every single piece choreography. It is incredible watching her do it. But she she created this whole new piece, and it's like younger students that kind of look up to us and then kind of the roles reverse and we, you know, welcome them.
Speaker 3: It's very sweet.
Speaker 1: I get very emotional during rehearsals, but so currently because I'm doing those.
Speaker 3: I take class at ten.
Speaker 1: Am every morning, and then I usually either work out or just do like stuff on my computer, and then I go to rehearsals and those can go up to three to four hours, starting at like two thirty three pm, and onwards.
Speaker 3: You work out and dance.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I'm doing rehearsals Tuesday's Thursdays, and actually as the show approaches a little more, but on the days off, I'll try to actually go and work out. But yeah, we combine, we combine the two. I think cross training is so important nowadays, especially I can't even.
Speaker 2: Get to the gym, let alone do dance routines and go to the gym. What does it take mentally for you to succeed in such a competitive environment.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't let the rejection get to you. You don't let you keep going. You say, oh here's another whatever that's not for me, you know, rejections, redirection, I forgot. I think it was like, who's Sabrina, Serena.
Speaker 3: Karrigan or someone. Yeah, that Serena Karragan said that. I remember, and I never forgot the wise Serena. Rejection is direction. Yeah, there's a lot of rejection and you just keep going.
Speaker 1: And you know, sometimes you're fighting against your own body and you wake up and you're tired, or you're injured, or there's something going on, and you just take care of yourself and take care of your body and say, hey, something else is coming. Staying inspired, I think seeing shows, going to the ballet if you can, supporting dance, going to the museum, going to an art gallery, reading books. There's so much inspiration too, and I think it's so important in every career, especially if you're freelance though, Like stay inspired, is.
Speaker 2: That what you do to like hone your taste and hone you do? Going to ballet performances and museums and.
Speaker 1: Museums, ballet performances, and a lot of reading. I've been obsessed with reading.
Speaker 3: What kind of books do you like? To fantasy? Okay, love love a lot of fantasy, Okay, love it.
Speaker 2: I always read non fiction and then I realize that that's just like my type a personality, and I'm like not getting any like inspiration or creativity out of it, because I'm like, why did I never read fiction? I only ever read biographies or autobiographies or just like tellings of things that happened.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I need to get into this like fantasy.
Speaker 2: Weird, crazy world because I feel like it would be good for my creativity.
Speaker 3: The right side of the book, Yeah, I think you should.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite fantasy book or a book that I need to read to get into the genre.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have to do a quarter of Thorne Snrosis. Okay, you have to do that whole series.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: But what happened was I started with that series and then I was like, wait, I really like this, and then I started I started doing like Ursula Lagean I started doing I'm currently reading Wrinkle in Time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's like a classic fairy tale. I just finished Qushell Start, which is really really good too.
Speaker 1: It's different and it's like Jacqueline Carry It's like older fantasy, like from the two thousands early two thousands that just is very beautifully written. It's like poetic but has some topics it's not for everyone. Yeah, I don't know why. Her favorite favorite one is.
Speaker 2: I'll do the Court of Thornce and Roses every I already I think, I like bought it on my iPad and then it was I got one page in, it was like, I don't.
Speaker 3: But I need to. I gotta. Yeah, I will do it. I will dive in.
Speaker 1: I think why that series is such a good one to start with and really guess people into the series, into the genre is because so Sarah Mass Like I've done a lot of research on her. She studied literature, and she read so many books, and she was obsessed with fantasy, and I feel like she just kind of read so much and put it into her stories that you get a taste of like everything, okay, and then I started to like puzzle it out and be like, Okay, now I want to read this like high fantasy, and I want to read fairy tales, and I want to read romanticy and I want to read, you know, dystopian kind of fiction.
Speaker 2: We talk a lot on the podcast about like honing your taste and like the things that you do to like curate your taste.
Speaker 3: So that's a really good one.
Speaker 2: Because we get a lot of like obviously pinterest or like old movies. But it's like the idea of reading fantasy books to kind of like enhance your taste and your interest in your creativity is such great advice. Do you think that growing up in ballet shaped the way you see beauty and femininity in your personal style?
Speaker 3: Yes, so.
Speaker 1: Growing up in ballet shape my style because style a lot of the times I feel like, is how you just present yourself. Right, It's how you sit, it's how you move, it's how it's how you wear the clothes. And something about ballet has I think I've realized now like really inspired that, but more just how I feel and how I wear the clothes.
Speaker 3: Like your confidence, you're you have good posture, all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your posture, your confidence exactly, it's how you wear the clothes.
Speaker 3: So I think it's shaped. It's shaped that for me.
Speaker 1: And obviously, like you know, ballet core is really popular now and I liked that how happening because I was like, oh easy, he just pulled out my warm ups.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: And you have a very like simplistic minimal I feel like it goes with that just like very like natural beauty. Oh, it's not a very like overly glam. You're just like a natural easy beauty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But also it's like within dance, especially being I think any kind of athlete or someone who works out a lot, you don't really have time to go through so much processing and you know, the hair having it perfect, like you know, it's from a bun that you're sweating in all day. And I have to go to an event now or I have to go like somewhere, So it's like, okay, how do I, you know, work with what I have and make it effortless? Effortless Valerina, Look, I love like my skin is still sticky for balet, but it's okay, it's a glow.
Speaker 3: I love that use the glow. I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that my skin is sticky from walking up and down my stairs.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: That's so much Chaker, what parts of yourself do you feel like dance gave you? And were there any parts that you feel like you had to unlearn, like maybe bad habits that you got into because of it.
Speaker 3: Because of that?
Speaker 1: What parts it has given me? I mean, I guess we mentioned it earlier. Really good posture and being aware of that there's also like a there's also a side of dancers where we're very when we were in school, when we were young, we because dance is from like these old French courts and royal societies, Like there is a whole side of it where you do have to be very like gracious and grateful, and you know, after every class, no matter where you are, what school, like, we bow to the teachers and to the pianist. And that's something that I just as a kid, I was like, yeah, I've been bowing since I was nine years old to the people in the room. So I think that you carry on into life and I like it. I think that saying thank you and being respectful exactly is some like an art that I think we should nurture for our future generations and then unlearn. Unlearn well, just being judgmental with yourself, I think looking in a mirror and judging yourself and comparing yourself to other people, it's really unhealthy, and I think it's just kind of it's a part of it, right.
Speaker 3: I can't say it's all.
Speaker 1: Bad because you do say, hey, okay, like my arm doesn't look right, my like the line is not good in this pose, let me fix it, But then like you start to go a little further and you know, depress yourself.
Speaker 3: So I think that's.
Speaker 1: Something as I've gotten older, I'm like, no, let me work with what I have instead of try to change it.
Speaker 3: Or wish it was different. Yeah, I feel like that's probably.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like I've never been a ballerina, but I can only imagine how much you have to do comparing yourself to other people's, especially like you said, like doing auditions and cattle calls and just being like one of one.
Speaker 3: Hundred and all of that.
Speaker 2: But I feel like you're very strong and you're very confident, and so I feel like you have a good navigation of that. And we get asked a lot on the podcast, like what do you do for confidence? What's your confidence advice?
Speaker 3: Everything?
Speaker 2: So I feel like you're a good person to talk to about it, because what a challenging environment.
Speaker 3: To be and especially to grow up in as like a young girl.
Speaker 2: I feel like it could really recavoc on you if you don't have like a good head on your shoulders exactly.
Speaker 1: It took a really long time to get there. I will say, like I was not born this way on one hundred percent. I was very shy, shy in front of cameras, shy in front of teachers, like auditions. But I think it took time to grow it and it's it is more about this like knowing of yourself.
Speaker 3: I mean again, I'm.
Speaker 1: Thirty years old, so it took me probably all of my twenties to finally get there. And I'm I'm still growing, I'm still working on and I'm still learning. But there is a side of it of like who am I How do I stay authent dick to myself? I actually recently discovered this, but I'm like, if you are changing the way that you dress for any person or for anything, you know you have this like innate style.
Speaker 3: You have this.
Speaker 1: Obviously everyone's is growing, but if you're changing to try to fit in somewhere, it's probably not the right room. It's probably the right not the right people. It's you know, you have to you have to be authentic and you have to be yourself honestly, funny enough color analysis. I know it's like a craze right now. I did it this woman, Julia.
Speaker 3: I think it's dope.
Speaker 1: Keina did mine and changed my life changed.
Speaker 3: I keep telling me, I need to do it, So I need to do it. Do it.
Speaker 1: It will because it also just makes shopping easier, everything easier. And right now there's like such a there's so much and you know, I can't wear orange, and I'm like, that's okay. I see someone wearing orange and I'm like, oh, I wish I can orange, but I can't.
Speaker 3: They tell you, they like tell you exactly what colors look good and then which ones you should never wear.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you can also see it. It's like, yeah, you hold it up in front of your face.
Speaker 3: You look sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like bringing out your eyes, bringing out your features or something overpowers you, which I think actually strategically, if there's a day when you're like I don't really want to be too forward, like let me put something on that kind of overpowers me but takes the attention, and that's okay. You know you can strategically use it too, But yeah, it changes.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're the millionth person to suggest color analysis to me, so I'm going to hop on it.
Speaker 1: And it's not just like one color, no color. It's like they give you a whole bunch of colors.
Speaker 3: And did you go to her I did it online.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, and she she'll like hold like no makeup nothing, she holds up these things and I've taken what she said, which I'm a deep winter spot on.
Speaker 3: Okay, I need to do this. Okay, I like this. I really am going to do this.
Speaker 2: How would you describe your personal style right now?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 1: It is actually quite minimal and minimal in the sense that I've love I still love wearing flowery and dazzles and whatever, and like leathers and shiny and those like fun patterns. I mean, not too many patterns, but some patterns like the jack and I wore today has patterned, but a lot of just pieces that I keep rewaring, so Wolford body suits, leathers, wolves, nice fabrics. Minimal, Yeah, like less stuff. My closet is not that big, so I was like, there's too much stuff in here. Let's like really, But I think also curating it the way that I've done has made again life so much easier.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you if you approach dressing differently now than you did a few years ago or in your early twenties, would you say that, like downsizing is the biggest thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, I think downsizing.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Again, like finding out color analysis, finding out authentically what is my style, what do I what, what am I drawn to, what looks best on me? And then also what can I wear in multiple settings? In what can I wear to a theater, to dinner, to a meeting, to a podcast interview, to you know, run to ballet, run on the subway. Especially if you're like someone that lives in a city, you need comfort. And so that has really helped me redefine my style is just thinking about like what is my life and what do I what do I need every day?
Speaker 3: Sorry? What was the question? Now you got it?
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: It's just how did you how do you approach dressing differently now than maybe you did a few years ago or in your early twenties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also exactly soizing downsizing, and I'm trying to think, yeah, just find finding out what your style is and how you want to come across to the world.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: But that's also what's really fun about fashion is you can really be anyone you want, right.
Speaker 2: It's fun to play with what makes something instantly chic to you? Being timeless I do, Yeah, I love a timeless classic, you'll give me like Audrey Hepburn vibes. Are there eras of women or eras of fashion that you find you always go back to to inspiration for inspiration.
Speaker 1: Nineties the nineties supermodels. I mean they were very if you think about it, very minimal. It was all clean cut, like black, gray, white leather jeans, denim tank top, just so classic in like a black boot. Like I still have a lot of my mom's stuff from the nineties, and I just always go back and the fact that she was wearing that and then now I'm wearing it, you know. And I think also we had all these like brands that were strictly New York, like Coal.
Speaker 3: I have this like vintage.
Speaker 2: And tailored so beautifully and cut so beautifully and made was.
Speaker 3: Such good fabric and like affordablele.
Speaker 2: I know, everything used to be great fabric and now it's just such bad fabric. The things from the nineties are so much better made.
Speaker 3: My friend wore this.
Speaker 1: Funny enough, I'm actually wearing a Ann Taylor skirt. I got on, like this leather like midi skirt I got on I think Poshmark for twenty five dollars or just like and my friend had worn this Ann Taylor vintages was her mom's like bomber, and I was like, what is that? She sicks Ann Taylor from the nineties and I immediately went on online. I mean, I'm worried now because everyone's gonna buy it all.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no nineties and tailor is very underrated and CD perfect contemporary pieces and it's like a Ritzia Vibes but cheaper because it's so old and but it achieves the same look. Yeah, the skirt is I guarantee that skirt would be Threraanngellars at a Ritzya. I have one hundred percent no and to old school and Taylor and old Banana Republic.
Speaker 3: Very she very well made, Okay, I didn't know very well made.
Speaker 2: What is your relationship with beauty and self care like these days?
Speaker 3: What's your routine? What are you doing? Do you feel like it's changed a lot?
Speaker 1: So I have finally figured out my routine. It's very simple, but it's a toner every night, every day. I always do you know what toner it is?
Speaker 3: Beolare okay? Chic?
Speaker 1: Chic? They actually they send it to me in like a as a gift, and I used it and I was. Now it's just like big bottle re buy every single time it runs out. It really cleans the skin well. And like again I really struggled with like acne in these areas, and then also with that clean your brushes. Change your cases very important, you know, if you have, like any body stuff like change your shirts every night every day if you can, Like you know, some people will sleep in pajamas a few times, but like try to change it every night.
Speaker 3: And then what else?
Speaker 1: And then like serums moist up very simple, honestly, a toner serum, moisturizer, I cream. Where do you go to for beauty inspiration, like for makeup and that kind of vibe?
Speaker 3: Good question to be honest, I kind of create it myself. That your own inspiration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will play around with beauty. I've finally learned what I like with my eyes, Like I can't do a full eyeliner, I have to I always just kind of do these corners because I've got like hooded eyes. Again, finding but also actually looking online and seeing creators who look like you have similar eyes, similar coloring, similar color analysis. Game changer truly, and I actually have been doing a lot of like upper water line with like Chanelle has these like waterproof eyeliners, and I'll use like stick eyeliner.
Speaker 3: I'll use it.
Speaker 1: I'll do deep purple, deep blue, deep green, and it creates this like amazing effect in the eye, and then like regular mascara and stuff.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's really good advice to find people that look like you. That's like the ultimate beauty advice. And my I was talking to my hairstyles about this because she was like, people come in and they show me haircuts that they want and I'm like, you don't look like Cianna Miller.
Speaker 3: That's not going to look like that on you. Like, it's just not gonna look like that on you.
Speaker 2: And I feel like makeup two is so personal that you literally, like you said, you have to look at people who are the same coloring as you, the same face shape as you, the same vibe as you. That's what it's gonna look like. If you try to emanate someone else's face, it's just not going to look right on you.
Speaker 3: So it's fantastic beauty advice.
Speaker 2: I literally was just having this conversation the other day and I was like, is that me talking about how I want bangs? Because I was talking to my hairsuns about and she was like, you don't look like that. I was like, okay, cool, okay, great.
Speaker 3: Well I could see you with a bang like a high bank. Look at your beautiful banks. I want bangs.
Speaker 2: But she was like absolutely not, Oh no, no.
Speaker 3: Every time I get them, I regret them. But I feel like you have wispy bangs. Mind just kind of like you have the hair for it. But it's a process.
Speaker 1: You also have to I always like have to wet this area because they will display.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's very like.
Speaker 1: If you actually look, it's very it's just like a little triangle.
Speaker 3: It's a perfect bang. I'm just afraid.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I just they look like this because my hair is so straight, and I'm just.
Speaker 1: Like, oh I see, I see, well I blow it out every day, but yeah, it's it's you.
Speaker 3: Also, I look a little bit like a child with bangs. You don't.
Speaker 2: It's just it's every time I get them, I immediately start clipping them back. But I was like, I feel like I'm older now I could pull off bangs. And she was like, you really simply can't. You're and I like she was showing her inswel pictures and she was like, do you think you look like her? And no, I guess I don't feel like I'm Heidi Clum. Literally, I'm like, are you saying I don't look exactly? Is there anything that people assume about you that you think is completely inaccurate or do you feel like people have your vibe from being online?
Speaker 1: I have seen some stuff about me being like they're like, she's like this rich girl, and which is again no hate on those people, but like it's so far from the truth. That's like, I did not come from money.
Speaker 3: I was not.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, unfortunately I wish I did. I know it was not the same way.
Speaker 3: Not the reality in my life.
Speaker 1: So not a NEPO baby. And I don't want to say NEPO baby because I'm jealous.
Speaker 3: I wish I was Aphoby too. I say that jealous. You say that all the time.
Speaker 2: I'm like you, I wish to my parents, I'm like, what were you doing?
Speaker 3: What were you doing? What were you doing with your time? I'm like, we could have been accumulating money, fame, well, success, all of these things that you could have just given to me.
Speaker 1: But also like the knowledge, you know, I'm like I love I love those people that actually do what their parents do and do it really well because I'm like, of course, like your parents taught you that. Can you imagine being around that, Like I wish my mom was like a principal ballerina from back in the day.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like it would have probably.
Speaker 1: Helped me a lot in my life to know those things. So, but no, I think that, and then I think that's about it. You know, there's it's it's mainly like I'll see that sometimes online and I'm just like.
Speaker 2: I feel like the it's a good thing for you to correct because I feel like you deserve credit for your hard work, like you deserve to be known for what you did, and so I feel like that's important that you say, no, actually, that's not where I came from.
Speaker 3: That's not what I did.
Speaker 2: I worked really hard and being like especially being a palerine like that is a tough, tough, competitive thing. So to be successful at that, you deserve to get to say like, nobody handed this to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it was.
Speaker 1: Incredibly hard, a lot of work, and it still is. It's not it doesn't really get hasier, it gets harder. I was gonna say it probably gets harder as you be older. I can only imagine.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you've become more private as you've gotten older. Is that something that you've prioritized.
Speaker 3: Yes. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You don't realize how sacred privacy is until.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've had some stuff in my life obviously where just stuff I didn't really realize I didn't want known. And also, you know what, so I want to say, like we grew up in a time where everything changed, right. It was that sort of shift from my space, Facebook into like Instagram, and then it became very popular to really share your least.
Speaker 2: Show every single detail with no limits, and everybody was doing it and no one knew what the consequences were going to be, and like the.
Speaker 1: Way that we were posting, and I feel like I was like kind of like posting things that I look back at, I'm like, what was I think? And it's it's a bit annoying that, you know, you it be it started at that age because then I feel like nowadays, if I had if social media had started, I would not be posting the things that I was posting or like sharing on the internet. But again, it was it was like the time, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do not think I should have had an Instagram or Facebook at like sixteen, Like I just didn't know my space. I just didn't know the consequences of Like, yeah, you don't. You're not developed yet, You're not the person you want to present to the world. And then you realize you're presenting yourself to every potential employer and friend and everything.
Speaker 3: Like that, And like you said, I think.
Speaker 2: We're learning now the repercussions of being a public figure of like what happens when you show everything and the way people feel like I don't know if this happens to you, but people feeling like they know you, yes, and that has been strudging you, and like feeling like they truly know your personality and they truly know how you would act in a situation.
Speaker 3: It's just like you have never been in the same room as me, you don't know me. It's very it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: But it's also I don't think it comes from a horrible place on their side either. It's just like they want to almost know you, they want to be your friend, They feel close to you for some reason.
Speaker 3: So it's like I can't hate on that either. But it's it it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think privacy is sacred.
Speaker 3: And but also you know, I would love I love.
Speaker 1: Showcasing ballet, I love showcasing interests, talking about books, talking about fashion like that is so fun for me, and I think that's what people nowadays like everyone wants someone that kind of helps them be better, right, and so that gladly you know. But like relationships, yeah, unless it's like very relatable, unless it's like very relatable for someone to certain things that I don't think need to be shared.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: I feel like too, I've started to realize that like the evil eye is real and like people root against you, so like talking too much about like things that haven't happened yet or like things that you want, it can be like karmically bad. This is something someone told me and I was like, wait, I'm aligned with this. You have to like protect what's sacred to you because the unfortunate thing is, yes, there's like the people who think you're friends with them, I think are great and I think it's a whole new kind of relationship that just like technology has led to it's like people that have a relationship with you that have never met you. And for the most part, I'd say, like ninety percent are good. But then there's also like you want to protect yourself from people who don't wish you well, and so like if you show things that haven't happened or haven't come to fruition, or like you talk a lot about something you want, people start rooting against you and they like, they just don't don't have your best interest. So you have to hold those things until you're ready to share them.
Speaker 1: I think that is exactly what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I've realized with a lot of friends, like I don't really have that many friends. I have close knit group of people that usually I met either through dance or maybe even like work, and those are and then like as a kid, obviously I had a few friends, but it's it's not the same group that it used to be. And I just I started notice it's important that they.
Speaker 2: Don't wish you well, like they're not even if it's not conscious, it's like you're you don't have my best feels at heart. Yeah, there's like an innate feeling, you know, And I feel like that's more important too as you get older, is like the right people like you said, make sure you're in the right room.
Speaker 3: If you feel like you have to change yourself, you're in the wrong room.
Speaker 1: I also remember seeing something where they said, like the twenties was your yes era, and then the thirties becomes your you become a no person.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm a no person now, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you start to just say no to things and know to people and really really curate your life and make it exactly what you care about and want it to be.
Speaker 3: And you only have like.
Speaker 2: A finite amount of time. Like, I'm if I don't want to go, I'm not gonna go, just say no. I'm like, I said no because I didn't want to.
Speaker 3: And everyone's like, but you never come, and I'm like, I don't want to. Yeah, I don't want to. It's my time. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be around those people. I don't like the way those people make me feel. And I agree completely. I've totally shifted from twenties. I wanted to be invited everywhere and go to everything and be at every event and meet every person and be like the most front facing in the world.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, ninety percent of the time, it's gonna be a no. Yeah, it's gonna be ano. You want peace.
Speaker 2: Peace, That is a diet peace, content comfortable, just like what makes me happy, And I feel like if everybody did that, we'd be in such a happier place. How do you stay grounded in an industry where your appearance is constantly analyzed because you're both a content creator and a ballerina, so both of those are really physical.
Speaker 1: Appearance grounded appearance wise, such a good question. I have realized more and more that yes, that is judged, and that is sort of important, but it's not the number one thing. It is not like the number one thing that matters is this and this. You know, it's how you make people feel, It's how hard you work, it's how you speak, it's how you care about things. Like I think appearance is it doesn't matter as much. I don't know that might be the wrong answer, but again it's weird for me to say, because I am also ballery done.
Speaker 3: Yes, your body matters, but it's.
Speaker 1: It's your talent. And actually I would say ballet is now shifting into that.
Speaker 3: More than ever.
Speaker 1: Where you know, you see people with all kinds of bodies, all kinds of skin tones, all kinds of hair and face and eyes and whatever, succeeding and doing really well and getting to dance and getting to perform, and you know, having followings and a presence online, and so I think, but from their talent. A lot of the times nowadays, it's a lot about how many turns can you do, how well can you jump? How well? Like I love it when I see someone who's super talented getting recognized for how well they dance as opposed to anything else. And know, what makes you feel good? What makes me feel good every day? And then that's how I show up? So I love that.
Speaker 2: What makes you feel calm? We were saying, both of us just want to feel.
Speaker 3: Calm, And it's like I'm in my heece peace and.
Speaker 2: Calm era for sure. What helps you feel calm when life feels overwhelming. What are some things you do for yourself? I read a lot great advice.
Speaker 1: I probably escape into fantasy, which is my way of dealing with it. I think ballets very meditative. So I love taking class every day just to like get away from my get away from your phone, get away from social media, get away from comparing yourself to people. I love social media more than anything I do. But I think it's not healthy when you become addicted to it, and it doesn't really make you feel good.
Speaker 3: So I love it too, but it is it. I love it. I could sit on it all day, I could sit on TikTok all day. I could say it.
Speaker 2: I feel constantly inspired and this and that, but it does take something away from you, and it really does like rattle you a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Too much of something good is also not great. Yeah. Yeah, And like we you know, we're in it.
Speaker 1: We are living in a day and age where like you can see anything, you can get inspired by anything. There's so much online, but sometimes.
Speaker 3: I think it's too much. Yeah, so take.
Speaker 1: Time away from that as best as you can. And yeah, to be more in person, be more present in your life.
Speaker 2: I I was just talking to Olivia about how my therapist is always talking about embodied meant She's like, the most important thing is you have to be embodied. You have to be in your body. And she's like, are you in your body? If you're and when you're sitting on your phone, you're not you did you are in another world? Like do you feel your body?
Speaker 3: Are you? Are you sitting with yourself? And I'm like no, I don't want to say with myself, and.
Speaker 2: She's like, you have to learn to sit with yourself. And that's like reading is a great thing to do too, because you're you're in with yourself. What are you prioritizing most in this chapter of your life?
Speaker 1: I think doing more collaborative projects, working with Ballet Tech and Dean Figgins and having her choreograph something specifically for me, maybe like partnerships with people, trying to create stuff. And I mean I did like a I went to the dance theater Parlem gala and I did commentating, which is kind of what you do, and I had so much fun doing it, and I was like, Okay, I get to speak to these people that actually, you know, want to speak to me about something I really love and so that was really special. And and just reading a lot. I started this like fun account called the Swan Library and it's just me talking about books and it's got like no followers, but I'm going to go follow no, but it's got like it's like people that actually love that you have.
Speaker 2: A substack, not yeah you need a subject, you have a book substack. The people I literally preach about subsseec you'd think they pay me. I The best thing about it that I always say is the people that are on there want to be on there, and the people that are reading your stuff want to be reading your stuff, and they're very well read.
Speaker 3: Like if you write a novel, they're going to read it.
Speaker 2: Okay, like it's it is well read people who are interested. I guarantee if you had one that was just about books, it would be wildly popular.
Speaker 3: There are people who love to read today.
Speaker 2: You have to you have to make one for your account, so then you can for people to your Instagram for your Swan library and you could have it go to your subst I swear it will pop off, and you can have like paid content if you want to, Like it's another way to make money.
Speaker 3: But I don't do a ton of paid content.
Speaker 2: Because I'm kind of like, you're alreadyquick commission link, Like I can just give this to you. But there's it's amazing and I think you would love it, and you can write like think pieces. The people there want to be there, and that's my favorite thing compared to Instagram and TikTok is. People on Instagram that write mean stuff. I'm like, you don't follow me you didn't want to see me.
Speaker 3: It got given to you on sub stack.
Speaker 2: You literally see what you want to see, and people want your newsletter and they want to hear what you have to say. I think it would be wildly popular because people are always asking me for reading recommendations. Yeah, and I'm don't have any because I'm like, I read self help books about heartbreak and says trauma.
Speaker 3: We need those too. I read Robbins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hello, what what are you most excited about in the next phase.
Speaker 3: Of your life?
Speaker 1: I guess I mean I kind of answered it, but yeah, doing more projects, doing more collaborative projects, and also honestly growing on passions. What are my passions. It's reading, it's writing, it's it's traveling, it's all kinds of dance, it's just it's fashion, it's just everything. Like trying to expand on all that, and I think also do something that comes from me so that people can relate to.
Speaker 3: What kind of create creates. I love that create creating. I love that. I feel like, especially in this day and age, we don't do it enough. We don't do it enough. There's not enough. It's creative, but it's for Instagram. It's like not true pure creativity.
Speaker 2: What kind of woman do you want to become over the next five years.
Speaker 1: Someone who's very gracious, someone who people can come to for help, someone who is at peace, very much at peace in my life and happy in every every sense of it.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: What does success mean to you now versus when you were younger?
Speaker 3: It's a good question. It's deep. Okay, it's changed for me so much. Yeah, so so much success.
Speaker 1: When I was younger, it was being seen in a way that I wanted people to see me, and now it's being seen for who I actually am.
Speaker 3: I love that. No, it's true. I was in the same way. No, it makes complete sense.
Speaker 2: You have an idea of what you think you want people to think of you, and then you get to an age where you're like, oh, I just want you to accept me for who I am, because.
Speaker 3: It's way too exhausting to try to be this other person.
Speaker 2: It's really really exhausting peaceful and yeah, it's not peaceful and you can't keep it mouth just like no, literally, every day I'm like, what can I meditate?
Speaker 3: What can I do?
Speaker 2: What can I'm always telling myself embodiment, embodyment, I just hear my therapist, I'm like, embodiment, how do I am? Because I feel like I'm someone who moves a mile a minute and just tries to distract myself constantly and never wants to sit in my own head. And I'm just like, I have the TV, my phone, my laptop, I'm doing sixty.
Speaker 3: Things, and I'm like, this is not peace.
Speaker 2: No pure piece is being able to completely be with yourself in silence. And if you're when I sit with myself in silence and I'm like, my answer shaking, I'm like, I'm not a peaceful person. So finding that it's the only way because all the other stuff, your priorities shift and I feel like all the other stuff kind of goes away. And then you're like when you realize that it's not fulfilling you, You're like, oh, I'm literally never going to be happy if I don't figure out how to be passful because none of this stuff is going to make me happy and it's not permanent and it's kind of meaningless. But when I was younger, you could have never told me that. I would have been like, no, how many followers I have on INSTERAIRAM will always be the most important thing to me in the entire world that matters to me. And now I'm like, oh, I actually just have to be fulfilled or I'm going to be unhappy and distracting myself. And you can always chase more. You can always chase more. But it's like, can you chase sitting with yourself?
Speaker 1: Exactly to my therapist, come home to yourself every night and be alone and say, am I happy with myself?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What kind of legacy do you want to leave behind? Legacy questions? Those are hard. I don't know. I don't I don't know if I don't know if I have an answer for that, Like you should have like a dance school, I dance, or at least teach classes. Would you teach classes?
Speaker 1: I would teach classes. I would teach classes I've done. I've actually taught yoga classes. I have yoga Like.
Speaker 3: I've been to one of your yoga classes. Oh my good. Yes, yes, so I've taught yoga classes. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's necessarily that maybe maybe curate something that can be can be a big presentation of dance. More so, I think maybe at the moment that like I would love to produce something with a lot of dance in it, whether that's like a show or a gala or something, but not, I don't think fully fully, I don't know if I'm if I would be a great teacher maybe maybe to young students, but and maybe not yet.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm not ready for that. No I'm not. You're not not aged out? No, No, that's not what I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: I love, I love.
Speaker 1: I think I can teach kids, but I don't know if I can fully like do adults yet or like professionals yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it. Okay.
Speaker 2: What is something you want to speak into existence and make everybody speak something into existence?
Speaker 3: It could be career, it could be personal. It could literally be you saying I just want to be peaceful. Anything, just something you want to say this.
Speaker 2: I'm setting this goal for myself and I'm speaking it out loud, and it's gonna have.
Speaker 1: Hmm my god.
Speaker 3: I might have to think about it, think about it, take a second. This is an important one.
Speaker 2: Some people say like I'm gonna walk in the Victorias Secret Fashion Show, and other people say like world peace, Like it's just whatever. It's just a little something that you can come back to in five years and be like, oh my god, it actually happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's cute. I really really want to do Swan Lake as of debt and Odeal never done that role, So I will do that role.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will be O'Dell.
Speaker 1: It's very hard ballet and it would take a lot of practice for me. It would take like a lot of time to kind of get into those characters. But I would love to do those characters. I would love to.
Speaker 3: Is that where the inspiration for the Swan Library came from? Probably? Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking about, like what can connect because I am a friend of mine Isabelle Wilson has Balleri a book club that she started, and I was like, okay, that's that's sort of their own thing, and I'm like, what can I do that's you know, inspired by that, but a version of my own? And I don't know, I thought about like Swans and Swan libraries.
Speaker 3: I love it. They're elegant. It sounds very like English. Yeah, I like it. Okay, you will do swan Lake easy. Yeah, it's basically done.
Speaker 2: Last question, who do you think is the ultimate girl and why does she inspire you?
Speaker 3: I remember my last answers. I don't. Oh, yes, yes, yes, oh great bangs, I know bangs fashion. She was did ballet, Okay.
Speaker 2: I recently learned she basically like invented the ballet flat yeah, with Repettit. I learned all of this when I was in I went to their store and they were telling me, and I was like, oh, this makes so much sense because she wanted to wear her ballet shoes on the street.
Speaker 3: I love it something as comfortable. I love that story too. Icon icon it girl forever. Hmm, ultimate it girl? Can I? I mean, I guess that's one you can have a feel.
Speaker 1: But who is my ultimate A girl right now? I mean I have to say I could say Sarah Mass, Sarah J.
Speaker 3: Mass. She's such an it girl.
Speaker 1: She like created this entire universe in books that everybody is obsessed with and we all relate to it, and we all like she has brought such a community of people together and has really started my obsession with reading.
Speaker 2: So I is the it girl. That's a great answer. Yeah, Oh I love it?
Speaker 3: Okay, amazing.
Speaker 2: We need more author it girls truly, truly, And you're right, they bring they bring other women together, which is like the most achirl thing you could possibly do. Do you want to shout out your socials.
Speaker 1: Instagram, Fioletta at Fioletta, TikTok at, Fioletta Kamshan.
Speaker 2: And the Swan Library on Instagram and the Swan Library soon to be on substack as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, Honestly, today I'm doing I swear it's going to change your life. You were my substack ferry. You came here to tell me I was thinking about it.
Speaker 2: It will change your life. It is the best community of people you could ever have. You will like the things you can do. People really engage with your writing and care what you have to say. And I link the books that you are reading and be like, here's the link to the book I'm reading this week. I guarantee you'll sell books out, which is like the best feeling in the world to know.
Speaker 3: They're always asking.
Speaker 2: Me for reading rex and I'm like, I don't have any. I literally read self help books every day.
Speaker 3: So perfect. No, it'll be good. You talk about it after. It's gonna be like, what is how do you write?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Is it essay format?
Speaker 2: Whatever you want, you can do it, and like you can do ten books. I just read you can do the book I'm reading this week.
Speaker 3: Here's why I love it. You can do it can be let personal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can do lists sometimes I do, like, oh, the ten things I'm shopping this week are ten things IT girls suggested to me when I was interviewing them this week, Like this is what they're wearing, and it will be a little list. Or you can be like, I'm having really bad anxiety. I want to write a think piece on anxiety. You write a think piece, do an essay, whatever you want. They want to read it perfect, They like to read. It's hard to find people who like to read.
Speaker 3: It's like the new version of newspaper.
Speaker 2: It basically is, it's like your own little personal newspaper, Like what do people if you were in newspaper, what would people want to open up and read?
Speaker 3: So it can be whatever. I love it. I am at Bailey t. Taylor.
Speaker 2: We are at It Girl the series, and we will be back next week with another It Girl, Big Girl.